3.35/5
Based on 49 reviews that contain star ratings
Are you this business? Claim your page

49 Spotify Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

After my trial of Spotify Premium ran out, I decided to use the free version for a while to compare, and determine whether paying for it was truly worth it. Spotify free is complete garbage, for many reasons: 1) The fact you're limited to shuffle only play. There are many MANY albums and playlists where order is important. Albums that tell a story, or are crafted to portray emotions that progress and change through its course. Spotify free takes that and flushes it down the toilet, making it impossible to enjoy a lot of music as it was intended.

2) Limited skips per hour. What kind of model is this? You're already limiting us to HOW we can enjoy music, putting constraints on playability, yet you pile on to that at say "Hey, yeah, so, you can only listen to things on shuffle. And...by the way, if you don't feel like listening to the song that comes up, cool... But, after a few skips you're screwed."

3) Ads - I don't inherently have an issue with the ads themselves. I understand that Spotify is a business and has to make money off its free users. But the sheer number of ads that play is obnoxious and frustrating. Most days I MIGHT only go 3 songs without an ad, but they usually play every two. 4) Lack of offline playability. So...we can make playlists, and save songs as we prefer but...no internet connection means Spotify is a virtual, useless brick? I would assume that this goes back to their push for ad revenue, and that if we're offline, they can't play ads, but it further limits an already incredibly limited service.

5) Clunky, hard to navigate save features - On the Premium version, you can shuffle your whole library, but...that's not an option in free? Further limiting how we can listen. Unless you "like" (heart) every song in your library so it goes into the favorites folder which, for many who have big extensive collections, is a long, tedious, annoying process, you're limited to Spotify's "artist, album, or playlist" criteria.

6) Limited custom playlists - This is more minor, and I understand why they limit it, but it's disappointing. While on the premium trial I very much enjoyed the "Discover Weekly" playlists, and other personally curated playlists I would receive. I discovered quite a bit of new music through these playlists. I understand why they don't offer those services on the free version, but it just piles on top of everything else to grossly limit playability, UI-friendliness, and ease of access.

In a lot of ways, I think Spotify purposefully made their free version so incredibly bad and limited in comparison to Premium to silently push more people into paying for the service, which is a practice I don't like. I think Spotify needs to offer a little more to their free users, as the free service now is complete garbage. Not everyone can pay $100-130 a year for the premium service, but they deserve better than what we get now.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was charged for a Spotify premium account although I had switched to the free account so I sent in the message to have it removed. They removed one charge and told me I had been charged for it multiple months but they wouldn't refund them because it was past 14 days. I told them I hadn't even used the Spotify account because I had no idea I was paying for premium and being a full time student and working full time I have no time to listen to music these days. They basically said too bad. I am making the much needed switch to Apple Music and you all should too!! Apple is extremely accommodating and correcting of any issues and they've even corrected payments when it actually was my mistake in the past!! I deeply regret ever trying Spotify.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2019

First WHY doesn't Spotify have a call center to speak to someone??? I chatted with some dip from customer non-service. I told her that I was having problems with my credit card and I purchased two PREMIUM gift cards so I can pay this month. Customer non-service tells me that I can't use gift cards to pay for the family plan and "I can downgrade your subscription and all the downloaded music will be deleted." I said that that would be a problem for my kids. They have songs downloaded etc.

Customer non-service could not care and would not offer any other alternatives, they could not care less if I canceled my subscription. I asked if I could chat with a manager, of course, I could not. The manager will email me in some far off date blah blah blah. I think it's disgusting how they have no regard for any paying customer who pays every month without any problem but god forbid I have an issue with my credit card. They were unwilling to help me. If my kids find another service I will be canceling my subscription.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It has been a long time since using Spotify. So long that I have forgotten my email and password I used when I signed up. Long story short they attempted to take money out of my account and a few occasions putting my account in the negative which led to me paying overdraft return item fee. I called the number listed as their number on my statement. I was told it would be canceled. However they needed my card info. I asked why they needed my info again. They said to locate the acct. He kept saying something about a 4.95 fee and a 24.95 fee.

I said, "Sir I don't think you understand. I am canceling a subscription". He said, "Yes maam." I asked if I was being charged. He said, "No maam. Here is your confirmation number." I said, "Ok I got it" so he proceeds to try to complete the call. I said when can I expect this to be canceled. He said, "Maam you can call the helpline." I said, "Why do I need to contact helpline when I already have you on the phone". He said, "Maam the helpline can answer your questions." I call the helpline immediately and the greeting was "thank you for calling AT&T U-Verse." I hung up and called again thinking I made an error only to find out the number they gave me was AT&T U-VERSE. A couple days later I noticed 2 unknown charges were taken out of my acct.

One being Docwell? No clue who that is. I called their number. They said they had me on a recorded line. I said, "Maam I haven't spoken to anyone from your company. I don't even know who you are or how you would have gotten my acct number." She said, "Hmm. Have you talked to a marketing company recently?" At first I said no I don't answer marketing calls. I thought a minute and realized I just spoke to Spotify (or whomever it was).

I told her the story of how I tried to cancel etc... She said, "I would be happy to refund your money but in the future be careful because a lot of times we get those companies are linked to other marketers so, HERE IT IS A MONTH LATER AND ANOTHER 10.66 CAME OUT OF MY ACCT. by "SPOTIFY" account which was supposed to have been canceled. I'm not happy! I would love to press charges on Spotify. Sue their behinds for fraudulent actions. I think it is unfair and unprofessional that they don't have a customer service phone number.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Spotify advertises a sweepstakes as being open to all users. But when you click the banner and go to the survey it asks you age and gender. It then only accepts certain age/gender matches which means it is not open to all legal residents as stated above from their own rules.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spotify?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Finally to the point of dropping Spotify. The Android app is too fragile. Many times I'm left looking at the green "thinking" status circle. Usually, the solution is to kill the app, clear memory, and start again. Today, I was trying to use it offline, and it just stared at me, even after a reboot. Once I moved within cell range and retried, it worked again. So much for offline mode... I'm just very frustrated, and have spent too much time working around the fragile app. I will now try Google and Amazon music. Bye Bye Spotify.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Great way to discover new music from playlists. I just wish there was an easier way to pick off where you left off from the last track you listened to. Some playlists are 1000 or more tracks, and you are forced to slowly scroll each time from the first track. Secondly, the ads from the free trial could be more tolerable if they didn't jack up the volume on them. My guess is that they do that so other people could hear them as well.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Signed up for a free trial. Cancelled subscription service, or so I thought, and 4 months later found out I was being charged. When I inquired they said I hadn't canceled and they wouldn't refund anything, despite the obvious evidence that I had never logged in to Spotify after signing up initially. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

My card originally used, was skimmed at shops. Have tried to update new card/s through various computers, my iPad and mobile. All you can get is Email Support which is appalling in these situations where if followed their instructions. With being self employed at home/car, listen to most of the day/night. The ads are really annoying! SO UNIMPRESSED with no Customer Service directly to ever resolve this ongoing issue.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Spotify is a bad service because it keeps stopping, skips over tracks, and constantly needs reloaded. My message is to anybody, don't get it. It will disappoint you a lot and will not allow you to listen to music as good as you want. Doesn't live up to the hype.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Add in their music. I canceled but paid for the month and it's all ad. I will never subscribe again or recommend. Pure problem and misleading too. Money from my account for advertisements. Poor service.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I took out a trial, then found it impossible to cancel the subscription when they started charging. It was impossible to register a cancellation on their site and, like another complainant here, had to get my bank to cancel the credit card to stop the charges. Wouldn't touch them again with the proverbial barge pole.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The Spotify website is designed to mislead and misinform you in your attempt to cancel your subscription. Once they have your credit card number you can expect to get charged or even charged twice. The website is deliberately set up this way. There’s only one way to get out of Spotify and that is to request for a new credit card. This way Spotify will not be able to place a change on your new card. Spotify will soon be on their way out.

Original review: March 6, 2018

When my computer starts acting funny, I know there is something wrong. I can tell when something is trying to control my computer by sending me in directions I didn't command it to go. I have seen worse on computers that had no antivirus software installed. However; I still see the same characteristics of a virus when using Spotify, even with the latest antivirus (Norton). I also found that to make it public knowledge, or write a review, all the domains are taken by Spotify. I don't find it pertinent to go to the Spotify website to let the public know, that there is something definitely wrong. If a reputable company who is not being lured by revenue from Spotify could do an independent study it would ease my mind. People depend on their antivirus to keep them safe; however it seems Spotify has found a way into the homes of many Americans and reaches across the world.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Love the app features. I use it all day However sometimes unable to play or forward to a different track. Overall great experience. I am very happy with Spotify.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

The site is excellent, you just type a band or artist and it brings up everything from them for you to choose your own personal playlist of is free and easy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

It's good for people who just want to have noise in the background but not for listening music you want to listen to. If you want to hear a certain song it makes you listen to at least 4 "like songs" until it finally plays the one you searched for. Not user friendly at all.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I like the large selection of tunes and also the fact that I'm given recommendations so I can explore other music types. The site is easy to navigate and I find myself spending more time than I realize checking out new artists. Overall I feel it's worth the monthly cost and would recommend to my friends.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Spotify should provide more variety and more diversity with the playlists. Instead of 6-8 daily playlists, add more for the genres we listen to. Other than that, I enjoy discovering other artists.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Great service for the money! Enjoy picking my own music and music sounds great. I love this service and would recommend to anyone. I have even got my family hooked!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

When listening to the music, they want you to listen to their sponsors. I don't mind listening to a sponsor but not for ten minutes at a time. Their sponsor spots need to be kept shorter.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Spotify has a great selection of songs and artist. Happy with the service for 2 years. Would recommend to anyone that has asked me about it.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

It's difficult to upload a profile picture. The user interface needs to be updated. A subscriber should not have to be regulated to use Facebook or any other social media website in order to set a profile picture.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Spotify is awesome. Great selection of music. They create playlists based on music in the playlists I created and do a phenomenal job. My only gripe is via casting... there are lots of screen freezes and dropped connections while casting. Not sure if problem with Wi-Fi or Spotify. Otherwise Spotify is perfect.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I love that Spotify has a Discover Weekly and Daily Mix just for me and also being able to save so many albums! The website is very easy to handle especially for someone that is not tech savvy.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I just purchased a new vehicle and found that the newer vehicles, have, if any, CD players for only one CD. My previous vehicle had 5 and now, I'm searching for a new venue... enter Spotify. Easy to use with my Android and the selections are great.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

It's easy to use and has a lot of the new and older music. You can also choose the premium or free service. The selection of songs is what keeps me with Spotify.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Spotify has a large selection of music from acoustic, country, blues, rap and R&B. It is user friendly and provides hundreds of hours of listening enjoyment!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Very good music service, easy to use, great price and selection of music, and share with up to 5 family members in your household. Select play of the day, go through their great selection of music like you have been listening to, make a playlist to keep and play again, and change it at will. Also shows new releases and old favorites.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Spotify is a music service that is easy to use on all of my devices: phone, laptop, tablet and streaming device. I often discover new music through this service.

Spotify Company Information