2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5

Spotify Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spotify?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spotify?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Spotify drops out. It is confusing what “buttons” it wants to make it work. I just jiggle WiFi, Bluetooth, and Hotspot until it finally works. Annoyingly I can’t play specific tracks. It’s all so complex that it seems to work when it feels like it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I'm a premium member for 3 years now and I've had to change my password 4-5 times already as someone keeps hijacking my account. This happens ONLY to my Spotify account and when I contact them, they put the fault on me. I only log in on my phone and computer. If any of those gadgets have been compromised, the "hacker" would have gained access to better and more worthy things than just free music. It's an obvious data breach from Spotify's end which not only I, but many other users experienced based from community posts.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2020

From my experience using Spotify, it is an extremely buggy application. Getting it to cast music to devices is extremely unreliable, while I have dozens of other apps on my phone that do it flawlessly within my home. Additionally, the app design is terrible in many ways. For example they don't give you an option to shuffle between multiple playlist that you put together. Therefore you are forced to only listen to a single playlist at a time. So what is the point of having a giant library music if you can only listen to small fractions of that library at a time. These are capabilities that every other streaming service such as Pandora has. Not to mention Pandora as a competitor is way more reliable in terms of functionality.

As another example, when you want to shuffle a playlist versus shuffle the radio station they place the shuffle option in different locations and for a playlist it's extremely hard to get to. This inconsistent implementation and user experience is extremely frustrating and poorly thought-out. It would appear that they focus all their energy on things other than the actual user experience. Which is ironic given their received reputation in the agile software development community.

Spotify is a growing company and I understand things won't be perfect, that is why I rely on their support to help me through these difficult times. Unfortunately the only way you can get support through Spotify is to open up a chat window and conduct a long and drawn-out conversation over chat to diagnose the issue. Unfortunately, the representatives they have available to help you diagnose the issue are extremely ineffective and inefficient. And there is no escalation path beyond the conversation you're having at that moment. There's also does not appear to be an easy way to follow up on a conversation that you had previously. Overall support is basically non-existent from my experiences. I think their music learning algorithms are great, however I regret to say everything else is subpar.

Original review: June 12, 2020

They have charged me without my consent. I received no communication that this would be done. After creating a PayPal case the information Spotify sent me was not sufficient to get my money back. You have illegally stole my money and will not give me it back as an unauthorised transaction. AVOID using their premium services via a free trial if you don't want money taken from you without consent. Even if you cancel they will STILL take your money. After reading the reviews on Consumer Affairs I see that I am not the only one who has been ripped off by the same lack of communication from themselves. Why do you not contact people informing them that payment will be taken before it happens???

Original review: May 24, 2020

I'd like to preface this by saying I was a longtime user of Spotify and loved the service. I had a great experience with their streaming, playlists, and general functionality. Things changed for me a few days ago when I began receiving multiple "new login" notifications in my email account despite not having logged into Spotify. I checked with the two people on my family plan, just to be sure I wasn't suddenly receiving notifications for their logins somehow, and they hadn't logged in either. So I changed my password and used the "log out everywhere" function on my account page.

However, I got more unauthorized logins within a matter of probably a few hours. Understandably creeped out, I immediately contacted support, who claimed they corrected the issue. I reset my password again, reset my email password this time, and revoked access to any third-party apps through Spotify at this point as well.

I genuinely thought my issue was corrected at this point, but lo and behold, I got another login notification. And that led to another support chat; this time they claimed they booted the unauthorized person off my account. I once again changed my password as well as my email password. I went probably a full 24 hours with no notifications. I was elated. However, early this morning, I received another unknown login, and that was the last straw for me. I contacted support one more time. They reiterated the same advice I had already followed multiple times by that point. They offered to change the email associated with my account, but my trust was so eroded at that point that I elected to close my account entirely.

(Also of note: right after this whole ordeal, I received a login notification for a different email address that I haven't used for Spotify in a few years.) I'm adamant about keeping my online information relatively secure. I followed all of support's advice to a T. All the new passwords I mentioned in this review, for both Spotify and my email, were unique passwords. I have two-factor authentication (not offered by Spotify, by the way) and/or security questions set up everywhere. I would know if my email, social media, or financial accounts had also been compromised recently, and none of them have.

As I repeatedly told Spotify's support agents, their app is the only app or account I've had issues with in a very long time. Again, I adored their service, but I can't trust a company when they can't even keep my account secure. I expected a better response to this issue considering I paid $15 a month for this, and I will unfortunately be looking for a different streaming service to listen to my copious amounts of music.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I went to Spotify because of so many things I didn't like about Amazon Music, but slowly things have become so terrible with the service that I can no longer be a supporter. For context, I use it primarily on my iPhone 8 and PS4. Every iOS update that changes the user interface just makes it less practical. Here's one example, the quick scroll option of going through your library letter by letter went from being controlled on the right edge of the screen to now it will quick scroll all the way into the middle of the screen. Being right handed, I now have to stretch my finger to the left edge of the screen or use my left hand to avoid scrolling through my entire library inadvertently.

Here's the big reason I'm going out of my way to write a critical review though; my offline albums no longer queue. It will only play the first song, then not the rest of the album. I have been placated and gaslit by spotify's support, including deleting and reinstalling the app on my phone 3 times. Each time, I have to redownload thousands of songs. I do all this each time being told the issue is fixed only to have the same problem. Spotify is great at framing the issue as a user error rather than admit that their development team cannot manage to get an update out without breaking the app. If I was more conspiratorial, I would think that maybe this is an attempt at keeping people online for data aggregation, but I have no way to support that claim. All I can say is that 80-90% of the time I'm using Spotify, I'm not somewhere with consistent network connection.

Spotify is fine, until it's not. Then, good luck getting support. They will never miss your payment date and take your money, but they will shirk on their obligation to support their product. The time has come for me to break ways with Spotify, despite how terribly inconvenient this will be given that there's not really another way to listen to music on PS4. It is quite a shame, but I will not give them another cent.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

My best app on the phone. It's flawless, reliable and quick. I am in love with Spotify - I use it every day. I highly recommend. They have such an amazing product. I use premium and it worths every penny.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Stay away from them, I cancelled my subscription but keep being charged every single month. I have tried to contact them, but no one replied to me. I have tried to block them from charging my credit card, it still didn’t work. I am still being charged for a closed account. Just because they make things so complicated I will never use their service. They don’t even deserve 1 star.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I’ve tried to cancel and actually got confirmation by their Twitter team that my premium account was canceled, only to keep being charged, over and over. Canceled in September, then again in October, tried again in November...very dishonest.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I’ve had Spotify for over 2-3 years now. As their system might be nice to play music and create playlists, the Premium Service I pay for at 10 bucks a month should at least have an easy way to contact them via the app. I have searched all over my account, profile looking for “contact us,” or “help” and see NOTHING. It should NOT be that hard to get in touch with them. I was going to enter my new card information since my current card expired and they keep sending me emails to renew my subscription but if getting that done is a mission I think I’ll save my 120 a year and look for alternatives.

Spotify Company Information