2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5

Spotify Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2020

I'd like to preface this by saying I was a longtime user of Spotify and loved the service. I had a great experience with their streaming, playlists, and general functionality. Things changed for me a few days ago when I began receiving multiple "new login" notifications in my email account despite not having logged into Spotify. I checked with the two people on my family plan, just to be sure I wasn't suddenly receiving notifications for their logins somehow, and they hadn't logged in either. So I changed my password and used the "log out everywhere" function on my account page.

However, I got more unauthorized logins within a matter of probably a few hours. Understandably creeped out, I immediately contacted support, who claimed they corrected the issue. I reset my password again, reset my email password this time, and revoked access to any third-party apps through Spotify at this point as well.

I genuinely thought my issue was corrected at this point, but lo and behold, I got another login notification. And that led to another support chat; this time they claimed they booted the unauthorized person off my account. I once again changed my password as well as my email password. I went probably a full 24 hours with no notifications. I was elated. However, early this morning, I received another unknown login, and that was the last straw for me. I contacted support one more time. They reiterated the same advice I had already followed multiple times by that point. They offered to change the email associated with my account, but my trust was so eroded at that point that I elected to close my account entirely.

(Also of note: right after this whole ordeal, I received a login notification for a different email address that I haven't used for Spotify in a few years.) I'm adamant about keeping my online information relatively secure. I followed all of support's advice to a T. All the new passwords I mentioned in this review, for both Spotify and my email, were unique passwords. I have two-factor authentication (not offered by Spotify, by the way) and/or security questions set up everywhere. I would know if my email, social media, or financial accounts had also been compromised recently, and none of them have.

As I repeatedly told Spotify's support agents, their app is the only app or account I've had issues with in a very long time. Again, I adored their service, but I can't trust a company when they can't even keep my account secure. I expected a better response to this issue considering I paid $15 a month for this, and I will unfortunately be looking for a different streaming service to listen to my copious amounts of music.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I went to Spotify because of so many things I didn't like about Amazon Music, but slowly things have become so terrible with the service that I can no longer be a supporter. For context, I use it primarily on my iPhone 8 and PS4. Every iOS update that changes the user interface just makes it less practical. Here's one example, the quick scroll option of going through your library letter by letter went from being controlled on the right edge of the screen to now it will quick scroll all the way into the middle of the screen. Being right handed, I now have to stretch my finger to the left edge of the screen or use my left hand to avoid scrolling through my entire library inadvertently.

Here's the big reason I'm going out of my way to write a critical review though; my offline albums no longer queue. It will only play the first song, then not the rest of the album. I have been placated and gaslit by spotify's support, including deleting and reinstalling the app on my phone 3 times. Each time, I have to redownload thousands of songs. I do all this each time being told the issue is fixed only to have the same problem. Spotify is great at framing the issue as a user error rather than admit that their development team cannot manage to get an update out without breaking the app. If I was more conspiratorial, I would think that maybe this is an attempt at keeping people online for data aggregation, but I have no way to support that claim. All I can say is that 80-90% of the time I'm using Spotify, I'm not somewhere with consistent network connection.

Spotify is fine, until it's not. Then, good luck getting support. They will never miss your payment date and take your money, but they will shirk on their obligation to support their product. The time has come for me to break ways with Spotify, despite how terribly inconvenient this will be given that there's not really another way to listen to music on PS4. It is quite a shame, but I will not give them another cent.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

My best app on the phone. It's flawless, reliable and quick. I am in love with Spotify - I use it every day. I highly recommend. They have such an amazing product. I use premium and it worths every penny.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Stay away from them, I cancelled my subscription but keep being charged every single month. I have tried to contact them, but no one replied to me. I have tried to block them from charging my credit card, it still didn’t work. I am still being charged for a closed account. Just because they make things so complicated I will never use their service. They don’t even deserve 1 star.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I’ve tried to cancel and actually got confirmation by their Twitter team that my premium account was canceled, only to keep being charged, over and over. Canceled in September, then again in October, tried again in November...very dishonest.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spotify?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I’ve had Spotify for over 2-3 years now. As their system might be nice to play music and create playlists, the Premium Service I pay for at 10 bucks a month should at least have an easy way to contact them via the app. I have searched all over my account, profile looking for “contact us,” or “help” and see NOTHING. It should NOT be that hard to get in touch with them. I was going to enter my new card information since my current card expired and they keep sending me emails to renew my subscription but if getting that done is a mission I think I’ll save my 120 a year and look for alternatives.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I know that my free account is going to have commercials and I have no problem with that since I am using the free version. However I wish they would stay out of politics. Play a commercial about a cheeseburger joint or a new movie coming out or a new car commercial. Stop with all the political crap. It is 100% directed towards one side. If you want to play politics, fine, play fair and hit both sides. I think I will go back to Amazon music where I can hear music and not some top executive's personal preferences on politics.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

If you're listening to music at work, on road trips, or frankly just while you're hanging out at least a couple times a week, Spotify Premium is definitely worth it. It gives you access to nearly any song you could ever desire, you can make playlists, share playlists, queue music, and do so much more. I love that it recommends new music for you. I wish that they gave you the opportunity to select a couple of artists and just rotate through a few of your favorites at once without creating a playlist.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I was a Premium member of Spotify for 2 years and it seemed to work just fine. But, then came the music drop-out problems occurring at the end of my first year of Premium service. Last month, I contacted their customer support technical team to see whether they could correct this problem. Well, after having me delete Spotify, then re-installing it once again from their site, and many other requests that I followed to a T; nothing changed!

I have a very fast desktop PC with plenty of memory and a 400Mb wired Internet connection, but they seem to think that the problem was on my end. I can use Pandora and several other streaming services without experiencing these music Drop-Out problems! Their problem seems to be originating in their Servers that are just being over-loaded at certain times of the day, but they never addressed this problem; although, I mentioned it to them numerous times. I have since cancelled my Premium Service, based on their lack of interest in resolving this problem. I will never return to a company that puts their heads in the ground! Ron ** (Tampa, Florida)

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

My son had a Spotify student premium account, which SPOTIFY cancelled in June as he had graduated and was no longer a student. Three months later I am still fighting to get them to stop charging my credit card for an account we cannot access. Chat is no help and refuses to remove my credit card. They ‘escalated’ my account, which is done through email only. So I now have to not only fight to have my card removed but also have to deal with my credit card company on fraudulent charges. Take my advice...stay far away from Spotify.

Spotify Company Information