Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (771 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

Cons

• Can be pricier than competitors

Bottom Line

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: July 21, 2021

We are in the process of moving from Grafton, MA to Midlothian, VA. I got several estimates from multiple moving companies and decided to go with United based on their reputation and reviews online. They were not the least expensive, so this was more important to me to have quality and reliability. My furniture was packed by the movers on June 25th. During the pack, one of the men hit the gas on the stove and by the time we realized it was running full blast for some time, I had to gather my children and pets and leave the house.

On Monday, June 28th the truck was loaded. On Tuesday, June 29th, I was informed that there is a national truck driver shortage and that the window provided of July 1-6 for delivery of our belongings may not be met. It is now July 20th and I have been told we will receive our stuff Thursday, July 22nd. Today, I was told only part of our shipment would be here Thursday because our belongings are on two different trucks. I have paid over $12K for this move and this is unacceptable. I am a single mother of two kids and two dogs sleeping on the floor on an air mattress for almost a month now. I am told I will get $100 a day refund for each day the goods are late. That is not right!!!! I would hope that you care enough about your customers that you make this right and refund my money and ensure we receive our belongings promptly. The process failed miserably this time and it needs to be addressed.

Original review: July 6, 2021

We were given a 8-14 days window for a cross country East to West Coast move. On day 7, they tell us the truck was full and the company is working hard on finding a new truck. This truck isn't loading until day 20 and will still be on the east coast till day 25. I am unable to get simple updates on where my truck is. It's 2021, we can track everything except my whole home shipment. We have a 5 year old and a 1 year old, sleeping on the floor. The daily delay compensation from them is 100$ a day, what are we going to get for 100$ a day, a crib? a bed a mattress?

The team is irresponsible and gave cookie cutter answers, as of day 18 they can't even give a new window, answer was we need the truck driver to tell us. An operations departments that can't tell me a date they will be able to make and a moving company that takes people's livelihood for granted. I do not recommend using them at all, it's profit over everything else, how do we jam as much into one truck so that we can make as much profit as possible, even if it means folks live without their items for 30 days.

Original review: June 16, 2021

The driver and his rider almost hit me head on at a hospital in Chattanooga. Due to his being on the wrong side of the road. He rolled down his window and started out with calling me a ** face. I am disabled and was dropping my son off at Erlanger hospital for a covid test. Due to his and his partner I was afraid for my well being. This should not happen to anyone for any reason from a truck driver.

Original review: June 5, 2021

Prestige is an agent for United Van Lines - expensive full service movers. We hired them & paid $10,000 to move, feeling confident we had a reputable mover. Moving day started before 8 am & they were finished & ready to leave at 9 pm at night. At that time, they presented a 14 page itemized list of what they packed and required us to sign it. Everything was already packed and there were tons of abbreviations & codes for everything.

When they unpacked at our destination, a valuable African drum (authentic made by a West Guinea master drummer) was demolished. I filed a claim. They responded it was “packed by owner” not by them. On investigation, I was told the moving agent had written “PBO” next to each of 8 drums I had moved. This must be because they feared one breaking because I only had a case for one drum - and I told them that case was not padded or protective. They wrapped them all in moving blankets as I watched. I warned them twice that if one fell over in transit the head would break. Because it said PBO next to each of my 8 drums - a clear lie - my claim & appeal went nowhere & I have a $1200 broken drum.

They also deeply scratched my dresser in front, & gave us $100 for that. Obviously that would not be enough to replace it & I probably couldn’t find a matching one anyway. I had read moving horror stories, and I thought choosing a reputable mover would be safe. I didn’t expect them to lie proactively to cover themselves if a drum broke. Not only that but we tipped 5 people $100 each for loading, and same at destination. Total charges were $10,000 & we did $1000 in cash tips.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Updated on 05/29/2021: UPDATE: Since posting the review, I’ve heard from the claim service for United Van Lines and Schroeder Moving & Storage. Without apology or assuming any responsibility, ClaimStream issued a second settlement letter. It offered $625, in addition to the original offer of $500, as a “...customer service gesture on behalf of United and Schroeder Moving.” This brings the total payment to $1,125, substantially more than the original settlement offer, but less than the depreciated value of lost and damaged goods. All things considered, the outcome is better than originally expected, but still disappointing.

Original Review: If I were able to give zero stars, or negative stars, I would. I moved from Wisconsin to Illinois, about 90 miles, from a two-bedroom apartment, with packing and full replacement value insurance, at a cost of $13,000. I sought out United Van Lines, having had a good experiences with them several years ago. This time, not so much. Here's what happened so far.

The estimator with the Milwaukee-based vendor (Schoeder Moving and Storage) was very helpful in coming up with an estimate and making arrangements...but dropped the ball on the day of the move. I ordered and paid for art boxes and for a crate for a chandelier. These were not provided, despite many calls on the day of packing asking for them to. The estimator acknowledged the problem and apologized. Now the claim adjuster, ClaimStream, says damage to frames are due to the packing and claims that the client (me) packed them (not true) and that they are not responsible for missing crystals, or any other missing goods. Note: there is no way to contact a human being with ClaimStream--no name, no phone number, etc.--just email correspondence.

The next morning after the evening delivery, I spoke by phone with a customer service manager at Schroeder. We discussed damaged goods (most notably, broken window on glass front of bookcase) and many missing items: two small chests of drawers, a glass top and cocktail table base, a moving dolly, pewter dishwater, computer monitor, etc. These conversations were memorialized in emails with the customer service manager and the estimator. At the time I wondered if the missing items had been left on the truck, since unpacking took place in the late afternoon and early evening. The customer service manager and I spoke several times the day after the move and the following day. Finally she said the items had not been located, but they would keep looking.

At that time, I also reported to the customer service manager that the movers were so disorganized in the unpacking that I stopped them midway. They were unpacking kitchenware in the living room; piling books on the floor in ways that were breaking the spines; acting peeved and complaining about the drive back to Milwaukee, etc. At the time, I also let her know on the phone and in writing that, if billed for a balance, I would dispute payment for a full unpacking, Note: I disputed the charge through American Express. American Express reviewed the circumstances and the email correspondence, and did not pay the disputed amount.

Months later, the claims adjuster (ClaimStream) said someone would come out to inspect the damage. I had to follow up twice with ClaimStream, since initial calls to the inspector were not returned. The inspector turned out to be a repair service. The friendly man looked at the bookcase and damage to the base of a walnut sideboard, which he said he'd be able to repair, but could not say anything about the missing items.

Meanwhile, ClaimStream claimed to have put a trace on the items, saying "A trace was done and the results are negative." I followed up two or three times to ask them to clarify the meaning, and learned that "we heard back and the items were not found." I asked who they'd spoken with, but did not get a response to that question. Note: the claim I submitted included photos of the missing and damaged items and copies of email correspondence documenting the phone conversations with the Schroeder representatives.

I was offered $500, to be paid immediately, to settle the claim. I did not settle. Months later, I received a second settlement offer for the same dollar amount, $500. The offer stated that I would soon receive a check and that cashing it would signal acceptance of the offer. I responded in writing on the same day I received the settlement offer, declining the offer. It's been radio silence ever since. No call; no reply to my email declining the offer; no nothing. I have spoken with an attorney.

The claim I submitted estimated the depreciated value of lost and damaged goods at $1,405. My disappointment is not over money. It is about principles and decent business practices. I was willing to pay the higher cost of using United Van Lines because I'd had good experiences with them in the past. This time, the absence of accountability, the multiple failures along the way, the unnecessarily complex claim process, and the unjustifiable outcome given all the documentation (not to mention aggravation). This is not the experience one would expect from United Van Lines or its contractors. I hope this review prompts others to think twice. I will update my review if and when additional information becomes available.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Moved twice with them. Never anything missing or broken. They were very polite and clean and packed very carefully (as if it were their own items). I haven't always had such positive experiences and have moved a great deal due to corporate relocations.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I had all of my stuff already packed in boxes ready to be loaded on their trucks to save the expense of them packing. My household goods was picked up on a Thursday in Ca. And then deliver before I was ready the following Mon in WY. I never got a chance to have my flooring done prior to all the furniture being moved in. The guys were all great. They worked quickly and put the furniture directly in the rooms I had specified.. Every box I packed was right there on the truck with no problems.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

We moved from FL to TX via our company, this company was contracted to move us, we are finding multiple high value items destroyed. The packers were kids and did not care, they placed heavy items in with fragile items and collectables. Multiple items were advised as high value and were not separated for safety. They packed a jar mayonnaise to be shipped across multiple states, they packed trash - literally trash, useless!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

My shipment was damaged in many ways - 7 pieces of furniture were seriously damaged and needing repair. Boxes were put upside down even when marked. Boxes were smashed. Many antique and heirloom items were broken beyond repair. When the driver delivers the items, he wants out of the home or storage unit as fast as possible so it does not allow for inspection of items. Some items were broken, as if the box was dropped, but unless you opened it, you wouldn't know. Now they refuse to reimburse due to their partner driving the second leg of the move. Horrible service. The office staff is kind, however.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

We used United Van Lines to move from Seattle to Colorado. We had some pieces of art, a mirror and two custom lamps crated. United outsourced the crating to a company called CMS. When our shipment arrived in Colorado one of our lamps was broken. As if that wasn’t disappointing enough, the crate person had a total meltdown in our drive way, screaming about killing his boss, throwing pieces of wood and nails from the crate all over the street, swinging a hammer around hitting our garage and the other crates, and using all kinds of foul language...enough of a scene that our neighbors came out to see if we or he needed something. I have no idea what set him off, he saw the lamp was broken, called his boss and the next thing we knew all hell was breaking loose. It was awful.

Now in the three months since then, they have not addressed this with their vendor, just continued to say it was outsourced, and for my lamp, they are claiming they found a replacement, which I can’t see before they take away mine. I’m ultimately going to just take a settlement, but that amount is less then what I paid for crating...crating which was clearly not worth what we paid. Don’t trust this company with your belongings or your safety based on who they decide to outsource to. It is the first time we’ve used United, all our other moves and we’ve done several have been with Allied. That is a great experience.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I used United Van Lines to move my furnishings from Denver to Florida. I had full replacement insurance on our belongings. United was 3 days late in delivering the items. In addition, they broke our dining room furniture, loss a box of expensive woman's designer clothing and stole our ladder which they used to unpack the truck. I filed a claim and they sent someone to the house to repair the dining room furniture and they could not fix it since it was badly damaged in the move.

Three and a half months later they still have not reimbursed me for the dining room set, lost clothes and stolen ladder and I am on the hook for $7,000 with my credit card company. Their claims department does not return calls or emails. I would suggest everyone use someone other than United Van Lines for their move.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I moved my entire household from New York to Nevada. I had insured my belongings for $60,000. I had specifically marked the boxes as do not stack/Frail. When the boxes arrived there were 5 high stacked and damaged. I file a claim with United Van Lines about the damages which included a top to bottom cracked TV/Entertainment center, Silver trays, China, etc. The total claim was for $1,650 and send me a check for $199 claiming the damage to furniture was due to Climate change! with no actual facts to back up this ridiculous claim. They also deny the damages to silverware as they claim the boxes were not visibly damaged.

I made several phone calls to them about the damages and they are accusing me of lying. The service and customer service is appalling. I would like United Van lines to compensate me for the damages and stop insulting me. I should also note that I Paid over $13,000 for the move to United Van Lines. The delivery was made by a partner company Mayflower and the delivery people refused to wear a mask during the delivery of my belongings to my house.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Service good, communication was excellent, they came when said. My biggest problem, china cabinet they disassembled but did not want to put glass shelves in again, I was arguing with them, and had to find a company in my new location to assemble it and fix it, thought that they were in different.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

This company is so great. Listen customer and try to pleasure us. It's very fast to understand customer. It company is very well and it's a very good company. Good service, good customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

My cousin works for them and I hired his services which were top notch! They were professional at what they were doing. My furniture was moved with extra care because of my tea cup collection and crystal. I would recommend again!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Super friendly, great rates and above average service, could not be more happy with this move! Arrived on time, handled everything with care, no issues whatsoever! Checked several companies, prices, reviews, etc -glad we chose this one!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Excellent moving service. Very minor damage to household goods. Movers were friendly and very professional. Definitely recommend to others. Packers were thorough and very attentive to our goods. Packing was done in two days.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Very bad experience with Schaap movers in Albany NY area. No communication during move and was overcharged for use of an extra moving crate that became necessary due to their poor packing. No one followed up with me when I made inquiries- had to call national office to get any type of response. Would not recommend Schaap.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I called this company due to the fact that my family and I were moving to a new home from a rental house. It was only 19 miles between the two homes. When they called me back to give me a quote I could not believe how much they wanted. I would not recommend this moving company to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

The movers in NYC used many empty boxes to fill spaces and force my belongings into three crates. The Austin movers said that my stuff would have easily fit into two boxes, and the movers in NYC suggested the same (they load from the truck into crates at a separate location). I received a small courtesy credit from Clancy/United, but was not reimbursed for the third crate (which cost ~$1k). I was not impressed with the dishonesty shown by the movers hired in NYC and Clancy/United not reimbursing me for the third crate.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

We recently moved with United. I have had nearly $5000 worth of new tags attach never worn items stolen. They stole a box with premium designer denim I had altered at least $2000 along with intimate items never worn. They opened my box of intimate lingerie and stole at least $2000 worth of new unused tags attached undergarments which is repulsive, evil, sick, disgusting and beyond deranged. They stole an extra large box that contained uniforms I earned and preserved through to attain and these uniforms are discontinued and can never be replaced. I worked at a minimum twelve hour shifts and sleepless nights to earn these uniforms through hard work and perseverance that bear sentimental value that I can never get back.

Among the stolen items is $3000 worth of new tags attached unworn clothing including premium designer denim I paid for to be altered. The fact that they went through my intimates and stole all the new tags attached lingerie is repulsive, disgusting and a complete invasion of my privacy. They have failed to respond or even acknowledge what they stole. Be prepared for them to go through your boxes including intimate personal sentimental items and literally steal from you. Along with the fact that at both locations every mover uses your bathroom every ten to fifteen minutes which is beyond suspicious as to what they are actually doing in your personal bathroom disgusts everyone involved and grossly unsanitary especially in COVID era.

I have reached out multiple times through ALL contact methods and the sales associate was beyond rude and dismissive like it’s a joke and claims has yet to acknowledge what was stolen from me that I worked and saved two years to acquire is beyond devastating and borders on evil. Be prepared to be literally stolen from-$5000 worth of tags attached new unused items including my personal lingerie and uniforms I earned stolen from you. Do not use United unless you want to be lied to, treated like trash and stolen from ($5000 at the bare minimum).

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

They packed EVERYTHING carefully and were fun to have around. We were moving from CA to TX and everything arrived in one piece and as it was packed. The driver was easy to communicate with and kept us updated.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Went with United because they are a national company and we assumed (poor decision on our part) that they would be reliable and trustworthy. They sent an agent to our house to do an estimate, total came to approx. $7600.00, which we thought was high seeing as we were moving little to no furniture. Company paid move, so we went with it. We had a GUARANTEED window of delivery of 5 days from Aug. 11-15.

Movers came to pack our stuff on Aug. 4. We were moving from CT to AZ. It is currently Aug. 23 and our things have not arrived. We have been sleeping on air mattresses and eating with paper plates for almost a month!! Absolutely ridiculous for the amount of money paid. We have complained several times, no one had a good explanation for the delay. Delayed arrival was supposed to be this morning and ONE GUY just called and said he is held up for yada, yada, who knows why.

Our stuff is supposed to be brought up (4th floor apt.) and the bed set up, furniture unwrapped and put where it belongs. One guy is going to do this today?? Will take a very long time and for $7600.00 he is not getting any help! In summary, United is very efficient when taking your money. Terrible with on time delivery, and so far, not good on the actual delivery itself. Yet to see if everything made it and is in one piece. Consumer...beware!!

Original review: June 2, 2020

Moved cross country in 2019. The move was good, the workers and truck driver the friendliest people. But we did receive broken furniture - specially a console very damaged. After many emails to be able to be guided on how to file a claim I did through the instructed web link that same day (about 1 month after the move). I expect a time delay in response and let them do what they need to do but looked back now (just about 9 months after the move) to see the status of the claim since no one ever contacted me and I find out the web page doesn't work well sometimes and maybe it never went through (I even emailed all the info to the company back then after the move and they gave me a claim number. How was I supposed to know it never went through?).

And I am now being told that, "It's too late, sorry we never received your claim." Even when I submitted as proof all my emails with them they just are not responsible about that (one of their workers did acknowledge to me that there is a faulty thing about the web page that hopefully we can resolves this but I haven't been able to speak with same representative and now they just denied).

Original review: April 26, 2020

Just finished a cross country relocation with United Van Lines and S&M movers. I couldn't have been more pleased. They did an in house inventory and were upfront and honest from start to finish. Furniture was packed/unpacked professionally and conscientiously. Everything arrived in separate containers exactly when they said it would. Moving is neither easy nor inexpensive, but the bottom line is that when I do it again, I will make the same call. A special shout out to Denise ** and Mike **. You guys were great! Thank you so much.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We are no stranger to moves- this is our 7th, but 1st with United. We paid $9000 to move 1300 miles. We had everything packed, United was hired to load, transport, and unload. They failed on 2 out of the 3 things they were hired to do.

1) First semi showed up without enough room for our items, there were two other families' things in the semi. We had an in-home estimate completed so this should not have happened.
    2) We had to help load the second semi that showed up several hours later. The only person that showed up was the driver.
    3) No guaranteed delivery date with second semi... still don't have it as I write this review.

4) First semi shows up for delivery with no help to unload, only the driver. Once again, we had to unload everything. Several very heavy items that we were charged extra to have moved (gun safe and an arcade game).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I would strongly recommend not trusting anything you value to United Van Lines. This is the story of our move from the midwest to the state of Washington. We contacted UVL in October for a scheduled January move. They were very easy to work with and friendly. I was just recovering from surgery, so perhaps not my most alert because… Warning #1. The gentleman I spoke with did an on-phone (no visual) inventory of our stuff and sent us an estimate. I warned him several times that we had a lot of books and a very large hutch. Apparently, he did not pay attention to this because our initial estimate turned out to be $4000 less than what we were charged on the actual day of the move (when all our belongings were already in the van.) In all previous moves, someone had come out to give the preliminary estimate, so he/she saw what we had. Apparently, not part of UVL’s protocol.

Warning #2 -- Moving day arrives and a wonderful crew of movers comes to our house. However, they were driving a large, U-Haul van. We knew from past experience that this wouldn’t be large enough to hold our things. (We had paid for a piano to be moved.) They eventually brought another smaller van, so now our earthly belongings are in two U-Hauls, bound for Chicago where we were promised they would immediately be moved into a larger van and sent out west. I am pretty sure they were transferred to a warehouse first and then loaded on the cross-country van. (Note -- while everyone from Amazon to Lands’ End now gives you frequent tracking updates, this is not part of UVL’s policy.) We were told that it would take a minimum of 2 weeks for our items to arrive, and that did happen.

Warning #3 -- Sunday night we got a call from the driver of the van that our items were in. He would come to our condo the next day to see if his van would fit. No way in hell does this van fit in any residential neighborhood, but especially in a (fairly large) condo parking lot. So the next morning, we meet him at a local mall, see his humongous truck and he offers us a deal. Rather than pay the $1300 shuttle fee, we will rent a truck and he will designate two local guys (whom we will pay) to unload our items. This ends up costing almost $1000, but less than $1300.

In the meantime, we pay the driver the rest of the money (as agreed) for our goods. The two young men working for us are hard working and polite. However, some of our furniture requires three people and we have a lot of books. The move-in ends up taking two days, partly because the two young men hired are not piano movers. (We paid extra for the piano). Thank goodness they do an adequate job with the piano, though a wheel is off. Meanwhile, the driver left town, moving on to his next job, leaving us with a huge pile of packing rugs which he will supposedly pick up. (Almost 4 weeks later, they are still taking up ¼ of our garage.) We also have a couple of items that don’t belong to us, which we report to UVL. (One of the boxes actually has the identifying sticker for its owner on it, but it’s still sitting in our garage.

So this is at least three moves (probably four) of our stuff. And this is the heartbreaker for me. In the move, they lost several boxes of our things, including a quilt that my late mother had made, which was to be a wedding gift for my daughter. Also missing are some of my jewelry and a framed stitchery, also from my mother. There are a couple more “valuable” things missing, like a flat screen TV missing as well, but these others are irreplaceable. Right now, there are claims out, but I imagine we will never see these precious items again. After all, they have our money. So, if you care about anything in particular you own, don’t entrust it to United.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Must avoid absolutely! Most of my furniture, some of which were registered as valuable items, arrived without any protection or moving blankets (light colored Italian leather sofa, velvet chair, floor lamp, bookcases, etc.). Some were dirty, full of gravel, and almost all were damaged. Yet, they were all carefully packed by the moving team at origin. The unloading at destination was sloppy, hasty, careless of the furniture or the premises. The small team of movers was partly made up of obviously inexperienced contract workers. For example, they dragged my bookcases on the floor, in the elevator, knocked my floor lamp on the ceiling, on the walls ... The team seemed overworked, rushed and dispatched for my move at the last minute at the end of the day.

However, the team who worked on my claims was very helpful and courteous. Nevertheless, the meager monetary compensation certainly doesn't worth the lost of value, the waste of time and all the hassle required to get compensated. You are very well just a number in the sea of claimants. At the end, the repairs done on my furniture were correct but nothing more. My pieces of furniture are still damaged and it still shows. UVL should really make an effort and choose their subcontractors more carefully (it was a transborder move from the US to Canada). If you care about your furniture and your place, go elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Recently moved from PA to MA and selected United Van Lines even when they were more expensive than 4 other firms I contacted - I thought I was buying peace of mind. Surprises started with a bad estimate (even when I requested to do it twice) asking me to pay more than what they promised in their offer... and they were late in delivery due to poor coordination at their dispatch office. Submitted a claim for additional expenses I incurred due to their delay in delivery and received an email agreeing to pay about 15% of my out of pocket expenses. Hope this review helps others not fall in same trap I did.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Lost my items and damaged other items. The driver was in a hurry and he took everything apart that had screws. He slept most of the time. When he dropped off he said that he was in a hurry and to rate him 5 stars or don't rate him. He was in such a hurry to drop the move off he didn't drop off everything.

United Van Lines Company Information