1.15/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

231 United Van Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I recently moved home from Arizona to Oregon to spend my remaining days with my family. I hired AAction Movers which is a part of United Van Lines, 303 W Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85210, 480-730-5006. I decided on United due to their BBB rating and reputation. I am in my 70’s, doing this move all on my own, packing, etc. I have 4 Dachshunds that rode with me in the 2 ½ day drive, so my car was very full. I had to limit what I could take with me, so I sealed my valuable rings and bracelets in a box, wrapped them in clothes and hid them in my dresser. I know now what a huge mistake that was, but being naïve and trusting I thought it was safe.

Two packers came Nov. 1, 2018 to load me. One was tagging everything, quite a job, and the other was moving my things to the truck. I was in the garage when he brought my dresser down to wrap it, but had to run into the house to handle things. When I came back out the dresser was wrapped and sealed in blankets and moved to the truck. When the dresser was unloaded in Oregon it was still sealed. I immediately opened the drawer holding my valuables, only to discover the clothes wadded up, the box open and empty. Not wanting to believe the obvious I took the drawers out to the wood bottom but not one item was there. The guy had stolen several bracelets, including a diamond tennis bracelet, and about 30 rings which included diamonds, sapphires, tourmaline, opals, pearls, aquamarine, smokey quartz, lapis, etc, etc. valued well over $20,000. Including my passport and SS card!

I filed a claim with United, it was not even researched, within 2 days I had my denial letter from them. No apologies. The worker is still working at AAction, continuing his felon theft actions. I want everyone to know DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY! Among the rings were my grandmother's and my mother’s rings, priceless to me. This hurts terribly, and I have to live with their actions daily, I am broken hearted. I try to tell myself it's only material items, but at my age I planned my daughter and granddaughter would get to cherish these as much as I have. Please learn from my HUGE mistake!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Really bad. They told us we're supposed to get our stuff here in Arkansas anywhere between 11/19- 1/26 but no show, today is December 03rd, 7 days into late shipment and still no show. Now the delivery is for December 7th but they just told me that other part of our stuff will be delivered in as a separate container, and I don't know when... Please don't waste your time, money and health by hiring them. Do NOT hire them.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I recently moved across the country and used this company. As you can imagine any move is stressful. I went into this with a very positive attitude. The entire move from start to finish was a TRAIN WRECK! OMG! If I could only go back and do it all over again I would have ran not walked. The bottom line is this. They come to your house for your consultation. You are promised the world with great care. After you agree and sign your paperwork, you no longer exist! I moved from one side of the states to the other. They screwed everything up from my crating, the transfer of my car as well as my delivery day of my furniture. I was told my car would be delivered to me at my new location doorstep clean and with great care. After all, they charge big money for it.

My car was dropped off to me in the middle of a highway in moving traffic, dirty filthy by a man who spoke no English. He grunted and left me standing there? I was called by the manager and was told that my furniture would arrive that coming Monday morning between 8:00am and 10:00am and that I was supposed to be up and ready to go!!! Well, once again I got up and waited, and waited, and waited? Umm, NO SHOW!? AGAIN!!! Over and over. When I called to find out where they were, no one knows who I am or what I am talking about??? (I mean, umm, they do have my furniture and most of all I own on their truck and do not know anything about it?) Hello?! And if that were not bad enough, they acted like I was a problem and how dare I call them out on sending me on yet another wild goose chase?

They screwed up the crating of my items, my car and my furniture delivery. And also please note: This company uses CONTRACTORS. In other words, they do not handle all of this themselves. They contract other companies to take over for them. But what they do not tell you is that the contractors they hire, hire other contractors. And those contractors use other contractors. And those contractors hire other contractors. Therefore you have 20 different people giving you 50 different stories as to why no one knows where anything is or where it is going, etc??? It is totally Crazy! I was given an Unpacking fee of $400.00 and went with it.

After the fact I decided to unpack myself because there were so many screwups. I was afraid to let them do it. I had hundreds of boxes. They told me I would be refunded the $400.00 for doing it myself. I never got the check or heard back from them. So I called their Corporate Office to complain. The woman I spoke to was nice and looked into all of this for me. I was reimbursed some money for the screwup of my car. (Not enough for what I went through). That was about it. The $400.00 dollars I paid for the unpacking fee. Nope! She acted like it never existed. She offered me a ($25.00), YES YOU READ IT RIGHT. A $25.00 refund for the "Unpacking". Do the math people? They are now claiming that the fee for (2 PEOPLE TO COME TO MY HOUSE AND UNPACK HUNDREDS OF BOXES IS $25.00?) REALLY????

The executive at Corporate would not even address the fact that they kept giving me the wrong day and made me wait outside in the blazing sun only to realize they never showed up? She did not care! She acted as if I were a troublemaker by even bringing this up??? If I could only go back in time. It was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life. I am so glad its over. I would not take the time to write this review if I were not passionate about helping someone else out who might make the same mistake I did. BEWARE PEOPLE!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I chose United because I wanted a reputable moving company. I was moving my parents, an 89 year-old and 85 year-old. Timing was critical due to their health and my arranging the move long-distance. The cost was almost twice as much as other companies but the United rep (who did an inventory of my parents' home) promised everything that was needed. Needless to say, your company didn't come through with ANYTHING THAT WAS PROMISED!!! The entire experience was inexcusable.

United's decision to partner with Nilson Van and Storage is a prime example of poor choices within your company. Have you looked at Nilson's social media comments??? Had I known that your company was going to sub out the job to Nilson, I would have NEVER selected United. The only glimmer of service occurred with the young man and woman who delivered the contents of my parents, Dean and Raven. They were as efficient (and professional) as a 2-person team could be.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Well let me state that I am closing on a house very quickly in Boca Raton. My lady only has certain days she can open the house for estimators. Long story short - had no desire to help me with the stressful move. Quote: "Well the reason is we just don't have anyone. Plus we need 10 days!" You don't need to know my response to him. My guy who said "gee sorry" Bill ** something - my phone guy - want to say Matt? Oh your sister company Mayflower - "11/7 4:15 no problem!!" Moving is stressful enough but to not even want to help - shame on all of you guys - I would fire you both of you!

Oh I just wanted to add -- I DID NOT SET UP THAT DATE. THEY DID AND SAID REPRESENTATIVE WILL CALL TO CONFIRM! I said I would need to check with my lady to open house -- my God you were the one who gave me that date! If they can't even remember they gave you the date I suggest you move onto another company NOW.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

United Van Lines, through its agent Chipman Relocations, moved our goods with a small amount of damage in the amount of $656.00. Zero deductible damage insurance had been bought (at extra cost), but Chipman offered to pay only half. My attorney advised Chipman that their offer was in violation of the contract and also violated fair trade practice laws. Chipman amended its offer to within $143.50 of the damage claim and said if I didn't accept, the offer and the claim would be considered closed.

On advice of counsel, the cost to recover the small balance, including time, was not worth the effort (and the movers know this) so I accepted the partial payment. Now, after reading the reviews of United I am sorry I didn't read them prior to selecting United. I won't make that mistake again. A notification of this information has been submitted to the California Better Business Bureau, complete with my attorney's statements.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

You can't imagine the heartbreak as I opened the boxes and found so many broken items. We have moved several times before and never experienced this degree of disrespect for our belongings. The boxes left our home, in Pennsylvania, in pristine condition and arrived at our new home, in Canada, all mangled and the contents completely destroyed. We have a beautiful armoire from Brazil which had made the trip unscathed but with this moving company it arrived with pieces broken off. The driver of the truck had such a bad attitude and clearly did not care. Our pots for plants were all broken and the box they were packed in was completely mangled. My good China had broken items and I could go on and on. This is the absolute worst experience of my life and I will never be able to replace some of our belongings.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The guys showed up, asked to sign paperwork first thing. I noticed that the price was different than I was originally told. The driver, Sal said "It's ok just sign," I said, "It's not ok because I don't understand this price," he said "We'll figure it out later." They moved their truck across the parking lot and it took about 6 tries to get the truck started. I asked if the truck was going to make it to Kansas City and he laughed. I showed them to my storage unit and he said "We have to charge you $250 cash since it's long distance." I had no idea what he was talking about, but came to understand that since my unit was more than 75 feet from the door they charge a fee.

No one ever explained this to me. They proceeded to load my things, dropping boxes off the truck ramp and nearly tipping my couch upside down. When they finished they asked if I was meeting them there tonight, I said, "No. We had agreed on tomorrow," I don't even get the keys to my apartment until tomorrow. They agreed. When they arrived the next day they told me I owed $1000, I had been told I'd pay $610 at delivery. Sal said "OK I guess we'll have to take your stuff and lock it up if you don't pay." They threatened me! I was like, "I'm sorry but these are the numbers I was given." Sal said "I don't know about that you pay me $1000." He called his "boss" who I talked in circles with until he finally said "Fine don't pay it whatever." This company is a scam. SAVE YOURSELF THE MONEY AND THE STRESS.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

You have 2 choices for a contract: binding and non-binding. The non-binding is an estimate but the actual price is determined by weighing the truck before and after loading. There are horror stories of the estimate being seriously low and actual price being significantly higher. The “binding” is sold as something that is written in stone, but it actually isn’t. That’s what we chose.

With a “binding” contract, there are several ways the price can go up. The operations manager of the moving company can decide at the last minute that the van will not be able to park in front of your house, because the road is too narrow, too busy or some other reason. In that case you have to pay for a shuttle van. When the sales rep came out to our house to make the estimate, he determined that our road was wide enough for the van, which was true because we’d moved into the house with the van parked on the road.

However, the day before the packers were coming, the sales rep told me that the operations manager had determined, just by looking at Google maps, that our road was too narrow and that it would cost $1200 for the shuttle. I tried in vain to contact the operations manager. Fortunately the packers sent word back that the road was fine, so we didn’t have to pay for the shuttle. Get it in writing in your contract that you won’t need a shuttle before you sign it.

The contract gives you a 5-day time frame in which the van will arrive. The fine print says that the company is required to deliver your goods with “reasonable dispatch.” The definition of “reasonable dispatch” in their literature is the 5-day time frame, but this is a blatant lie. I called the federal agency that oversees moving vans, and the legal definition is 21 business days, which is 30 calendar days! Our van showed up 10 calendar days late. This left us in an empty house with a dog for 10 days. Fortunately we have kind neighbors who loaned us stuff, so we were OK.

Your contract gives you $100 per diem, but motels and food cost much more than that. Plan for the worst. Have a contingency plan, pack accordingly and don’t plan anything that can't be canceled for the month after the van is supposed to come. Most of our goods arrived safely, but several pieces of nice furniture were damaged. The movers wrapped them in blankets but didn’t secure the blankets. When you’re talking with the sales rep, ask her about how furniture is wrapped. Some movers use a huge Saran-like wrap to secure the blankets. Make sure you oversee the movers when they're loading the furniture. You'll need at least 2 people there to supervise on the loading and unloading days, and 3 would be even better.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

DO NOT USE UNITED VAN LINES, unless you want to have a really bad experience. At the beginning I felt like I was dealing with professionals, Greg ** came to my apartment to estimate the cost of the moving, he was very nice and knew what he was doing (sell me the service). After a few days I contacted Greg to confirm their service. After that Greg assigned me a coordinator, Pascal **, I was dealing with Pascal now. My "coordinators" should have another title, they were not able to coordinate anything. First was Pascal **, he was so unprofessional and never responded any emails, just one, which was the confirmation of the payment. That’s all! The day of the moving he did not answer my calls, movers were very late and he was not able to give an answer.

Then they assigned me another "coordinator" Dana **, she was nice at the beginning (first 2-3 emails) then she was MIA (missing in action). When I asked about my refund check due to lateness, she couldn't answer and asked another colleague to jump in. Pascal and Dana should have the title of secretary, not even operators because they don't pick up phone calls.

Movers arrived late, about 7-9 hours late, my coordinator was not able to tell me an approximate time of arrival, I spent the whole day waiting. When they arrived, no dollies, no lifting belts, no gloves. No protection at all for the movers, well I don't really care anyways. They took their sweet time moving the boxes, it was just literally boxes, no furniture at all. They moved 1 box at the time and then I checked outside the apartment and they were smoking, sitting on the truck laughing and then I realized that they get pay by the hour, of course! So lazy and unprofessional, what can I expect from them.

Timewise was ok compared when they picked up the items. 1 box was crushed, I asked what happened and the answer was, "I have no idea, I don't know what happened here." My boxes were really thick and I taped everything to death and still they managed to crush a box, honestly the only way to crush that box is with a truck to run over it, but movers had no idea. They just dropped the boxes one after another one, that's all. Of course, they did not care at all.

United Van Lines Company Information