Penske Truck Rental

Compare Movers

Penske Truck Rental

Compare Movers

180 Penske Truck Rental Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

First and only time I will rent from Penske. Rented a 16' one way to move from San Diego to Austin, paid by debit. The whole process went smooth, better price than their competitors, got a brand new 2019 truck that had less than 100 miles on it, no issues the whole trip, easy pickup and quick return. I was quite satisfied with the experience and even told my wife that I'd consider paying a bit more for Penske if we need to rent a moving truck again.

About a month rolls by and I'm looking through my bank statement and see a $40.20 charge from Penske pending... no notification whatsoever, if I had not scanned my bank account I would have not known Penske tacked on an additional charge. After navigating their automated customer service number and explaining the charge, I'm told it's a toll charge they received from the time during my rental. I'm 100% confident I did not pass through any tolls, I intentionally looked up the route I was to take before I made the trip. No tolls. My wife followed behind me on the same route during the move. No tolls were charged to our personal vehicle. In California I traveled a small section of the I15, CA94 and mostly eastbound on the I8... no tolls. Arizona and New Mexico have no tolls within either state.

Texas I traveled east on the I10 across most of the state, then the 290 east to I35 north until the 290 east picks up again, I get off on the last exit before the 290 toll begins after the intersection with the 183. My new apartment is off this exit and explicitly remember thinking about how it was nice to be avoiding the tollway right at my journey's end. I ran the Penske truck's plate through the Texas site that tracks all pass through tolls. No records of a toll with that plate. I run our personal vehicles plates through the same Texas site. No records of toll charges.

I explain this to the rep, who informs me that I need to speak with the 'citations department', gives me a number. That number goes to another company and an automated messages asks for a party's extension and NOTHING follows, just silence... Tried pushing 0 for operator and other numbers and NOTHING. I call back to the customer service number, they transfer me to the same number with the same dead end message. I call back to the customer service a third time, getting upset at this point. The rep is empathetic and transfers me to the 'Austin Division' as this is where I turned in my rental. I get a guy who seems genuinely baffled that my call was transferred to him. He asks me for the invoice number of the charge and I explain that I received none, it was just pulled automatically from my bank account.

I explain further that I don't believe I passed through any tolls and went into detail with what I described above and asked to be sent verification of the charge from whichever state it was supposedly from. He claims he can't see that or access that, though he can see the additional charge on my account. He doesn't know who would be able to do that for me. I'm feeling pretty taken advantage of by this point, as I did a little internet research before my calls and found I'm not the only person that this has happened. The Austin division rep admits there may have been a mistake, another renter may have passed a toll and it was mistaken for my rental period, though he is unsure about this. After a little further back and forth, I can sense he is tired of my now angry banter and reluctantly agrees to refund the $40.20 back to my card on file. He takes my email and says he will send a receipt.

This was about 6 hours ago and I still have not received any email. I'm currently giving him the benefit of the doubt as a chargeback to a debit card can take several business days. We will see. This whole experience of dealing with Penske customer service reps that can provide no customer service, can't access toll billing files to verify for the doubting customer and generally just given the runaround on a unverifiable automatic charge just ruined all goodwill I had for the company. I have rented from 'the other' big name moving company on several occasions for local use and once for a move from college in Iowa City, IA to Chicago, IL and had 0 issues on the many times I've used them. I'll be going back even if Penske has the better deal, this B.S. charge and how I had to fight to get it removed is just shady and apparently I'm not the first. Penske You had a new customer and you killed a new customer.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Before renting any vehicle from this facility make sure you completely document the entire vehicles existing condition. I recently rented a Sprinter from these people while ours was being repaired. Problem #1 They forgot to give us the vehicle registration. Problem #2 The rented sprinter was in very poor condition with numerous dents. Problem #3 We were hit during the rental period which caused a dent in the side of the van. They used this opportunity to try and swindle the insurance company and sent in claims for all of the pre-existing damage. Problem #4 they continued to charge our credit card for rental of the vehicle for months after we returned it because they claimed it was out of service and being repaired during this entire time. These people are dishonest or incompetent, I would run the other way. Try Rider instead.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Originally we shopped around online and got quotes from different moving companies. After doing the research online we decided not to go with Penske and then we received a call. Great customer service and dedication for reaching out to us. They gave us a competitive and better price than the other options we had. That part was great and effortless as far as setting everything up. Once we got the truck, we loaded it and started our drive. Being military we e moved a few times so from Vegas to Colorado we went. The ride was just awful. Every divot in the road threw the entire truck off track. It’s as if Shocks don’t exist.

The entire 15 hours we were flying out of our seats, spilling drinks, being pregnant this only intensified my nausea. We had to physically stop to drink a cup of coffee. We packed our stuff as we normally have on every move with little to no issue with broken stuff. Not the case. I have dishes inside packing material and dish specific boxes that are broken. A trip that should have taken 12 hours increased due to the extra care we tried to take but still didn’t seem to matter much. My suggestion would be to test drive a truck if you do rent from them. The money you save will cost you in broken items.

Original review: June 2, 2019

My husband I rented a 26 ft truck from Penske. We are moving from El Paso TX to Clarksville TN. We called Penske road side assistance. They sent a mechanic and he tells my husband "I don't know what's wrong." Then broke for the 2 time. They sent a mechanic 4 hrs after it broke down. Honestly I'm sure the person who rented this truck to us didn't have it maintenance. I have used Penske before and had no problems. But after this experience. I'll never rent from Penske again.

Original review: May 7, 2019

SERIOUSLY! DO NOT USE THEIR BUSINESS!!!! Rented a truck to drive cross country from Columbus Ohio. And a Trailer/dolly to pull behind it. The first trailer they gave us was broken so we had to drive a half hour to pick up another one from their location because they refused to drive to us. Then they were on lunch and didn’t tell us so we had to get another one and wait for them to get back. That second one had broken chains so we had to go buy them ourselves out of pocket to use this BS POS dolly.

Thought the truck was leaking oil turns out it was the brake fluid. While on the freeway our brakes went out and we had to exit, and drive around a parking lot until it came to a stop while pushing the brakes the entire time. My wife and I could have died and the car we were pulling could have been destroyed which was the whole point in getting the pull behind dolly. They haven’t offered a refund of any sorts and instead of offering a new truck they sent a mechanic out. So now we have to wait for the mechanic himself to drive an hour and a half round trip to get the part he needs to fix it. Totally putting us off schedule for the trip. Happy and grateful we are okay, no thanks to Penske Truck Rental.

They CLEARLY DON'T CHECK THEIR EQUIPMENT before sending you off with it even if they know you plan on driving across the country. I am beyond upset with their business and truly want everyone to be able to read this and think twice before risking their lives on a brand that clearly isn’t concerned with your wellbeing and happiness!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: May 2, 2019

We switched from renting trucks from Budget to Penske because we heard great things about the quality of their trucks. Big disappointment! We reserved a one way truck to drive over 2000 miles for our move west several weeks in advance. We arrived to pick up our 16 ft box truck on time, and was told it wasn’t available yet. There were three other 16 ft trucks in the lot, but we were told they were for someone else later that day, and one was “local” rental only. After an hour wait, Penske employees arrived with two trucks from another Penske location. The attendant said “Well, looks like your truck has 99k miles on it”.

I was dismayed and said we are driving over 2000 miles. They said, “Well you can have the other truck, but it looks like it has a bad tire, and you will have to wait for someone to come to change the tire at your house.” They said the bad tire must have happened on the way over. We noticed that the front right part of the box part of the truck had a repair, and we feared water leakage...so, we were told to choose, truck with the bad tire and damage or the one with 99k miles. Already an hour late, with people coming to help us move, and assurances that the folks at Penske look over the trucks before they send them out, we took the truck with 99k miles.

The truck day 1: very poor acceleration and rattling from the front. Day 2: acceleration and rattling continue. Late afternoon we got a strong rainstorm, and all the windows fogged up from the humidity and rain. Defrost, air conditioner, all blew warm air and made it worse. Now, we couldn’t see a thing and needed to put our hazard lights on and crawl to the next exit, frequently wiping the front of the windshield to clean the condensation off. We found a hotel in a small Indiana town, and called Penske customer service who told us the only thing we could do is call roadside assistance. They would come when they could and determine if we needed a new truck. No empathy that it took us all day to load the truck, and how would we unload and reload in the rain?

We called roadside assistance. They told us they would only come to us if we were broken down or had a flat tire. We would have to find the nearest Penske garage for them to look at the air conditioner, but they would never give us a new truck just because of a bad air conditioner, even if the defrost wasn’t functioning. He suggested that maybe the air conditioner froze up, and if we only opened the windows/ used it infrequently, we would be ok. Day 3: driving rain throughout Indiana and Illinois, windows cracked open and rain pouring in, we can see through the windshield, but want to warn you to BEWARE when you rent from Penske!!!

Original review: April 20, 2019

So where to begin? Penske gave us a car carrier to go on a 26 foot truck from Florida to the northeast but the car carrier that was given to us was put in a class of it needed to be repaired. We lost our brakes and the car carrier blew two tires and now Penske isn’t doing anything to help us. Trying to get our vehicle are the moving truck to our final destination. So it is after 1 o’clock in the morning here in Connecticut and we’re being told that Penske will not help. So now it’s going to cost us extra money for a person to drive our other vehicle and pay for another day of this stinking truck because Penske has aired on the side of their so-called preventative maintenance but the carrier was issued to us so the liability is on Penske and I will be filing a suit in federal court.

And I will go after what remedies that are afforded to me as I am a prosecutor in Collier County. To all the other people that I’ve had such bad luck or Penske running a scam on them we should all get into a class action lawsuit. First thing you need to do is cancel your credit card and recoup your charges from Penske that is covered under your credit card issuer. That’s the first one and that’s probably the most that you’ll get for now until you do bring your case to court.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I rented a 26 foot truck to move over 1300 miles and was given the worst truck they had on the lot. It barely made it up. Even the slightest inclines and steering was extremely hard to control. I only felt safe driving around 50 mph and that was a stretch. The truck was so bad that I took a hit on filling the tank and instead returned it with about 3/4 of gas... which they then charged me $8 per gallon to fill. Should have gone with my first instinct which was U-Haul.

Original review: March 13, 2019

First time experience for my move - estimated $2500 for SFO to Minnesota move for a 16ft Truck+Carrier. Ended up wasting $3300 ($800 extra). Awful people and customer care. Charged me $264 (33x$8) for returning the truck that they claimed was empty! Since this was my 1st time, I did NOT know anything about truck renting. I just trusted the guy (in SFO) and signed end page of the agreement. They claimed the truck was given as "Full" and was returned (by my driver, who I hired to drive) as "empty"!

Even if this is true, as I never checked by myself. I called multiple times and I cried and begged the Manager (of Minnesota PENSKE) for doing some adjustment - No effect - just like a Robot, she kept saying "NOTHING WE CAN DO IN OUR END!" In Minnesota gas is now ~$2.19/ gallon. I offered to pay $100 for filling up the truck for me and report it as- "FULL" instead as "empty"!

They don't care about the customers and all they care about the money. This was my 1st and definitely last experience with these awful peoples! This was NOT a deliberate or repetitive event. As total layperson I just trusted and signed (probably) the fuel agreement (although I don't see my initial or sign on the paper they gave me in SFO). Who reads 20+ pages of fine print during a very hectic time of cross country move. My experience: PENSKE is untrustworthy and horrible people who care and money and will take it from you any way they can. NEVER AGAIN - CONSIDER BEFORE YOU RENT FROM THEM AND ALSO, AWARE YOUR FRIENDS.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Set up a dock truck rental at the Egan MN center. When I got there they gave me a truck a third the size I needed. I returned the truck within 3 hrs. I was not comfortable driving it. It could not handle my use for it. They said they line me up with the proper equipment. They called me at 645 am Wed and told they had a truck non CDL with liftgate. It was workable but I drove 30 miles when I got a call from the rep tell that the check engine light came on and would try to test and have it to me in a hour or so.

I made a couple of stops and got there 850am. They said they would get me set up with a truck. I sat there for 5 1/2 hours with no contact with me. Went in a couple of times to try to get updates but nothing. They said they would call me but nothing the rest of the day. That morning Ryder trucks Roseville Mn had called me and said they had a truck but I thanked them and said that Penske had already set me up. BIG MISTAKE. Penske cost me over $1500 of lost revenue but promises made to clients. But as a business person I would have called to apologize for the miscommunication the follow up the make things right and take care of the customer. After all that's what I did with my clients. I personally will never deal with Penske for anything and will share my experience with other contractors and owner operator's and let them make their own decision.

Penske Truck Rental Company Information