Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.10/5

Paul Davis Reviews

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

This might be the worst company I have ever dealt with. My house burned 11 years ago and State Farm recommended Paul Davis and I said ok. I realize now it was the worst decision I’ve ever made. They cut corners in everything they did even though I was overinsured. I was forced to battle them in every step of the rebuild and when they were done it was apparent they just wanted to finish and there was no attention to detail whatsoever. After 11 years I am still discovering examples of their shoddy work and have spent tens of thousands of dollars fixing the mistakes they made. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Fist off understand this is ongoing. So we had roof damage that caused a leak in two of our rooms and hallway 12/1/19. Nexxus Solutions Group, through my insurance, sent out Paul Davis Restoration out of Stockton Ca. They came out, tarped our room and made a plan for removing the damaged ceiling and walls. Per my insistence they removed more than expected in the ceiling and found mold. As for the walls it's routine to drill holes and run fans to dry it if there is no insulation. With the mold however they weren't able to run fans and store out the drywall on one wall. They did the mold remediation, and everything past.

Never having had to deal with anything like this before I thought all was well. At this point the only problem I had had was with one staff member in the office. She was rude and if she didn't know the answer to a question she would give a wrong answer or get snippy. EVERYONE who came to my home was polite and respectful. There were policy limitations for the mold, $2500, and the original estimate was around $1700. We proceeded with the mold work with the understanding if it was to go over the limits they were to inform me as that would be out of pocket.

Now "everything" is done on their end. A week or so has passed since they "finished". The next thing I know I'm getting a call that the final bill is ready and I owe them over $200 because it went above my limits. I was shocked! This was the first I heard about this. I asked for a detailed bill and looked it over. I was charged for things that hadn't been done! They billed $150.17 for sanding 56 square feet of flooring in one room and $287.?? for sanding the floor in the other room. It was an overcharge of $429.?? I called and talked to the office manager and told her this wasn't right, the floors were not sanded. She said she would look into it.

I called back two days later and she said she had made some adjustments but that she didn't have time to talk to me, that she would call back at the end of the week. Well that time came and no call, so I called again, she not in that day. No one knows anything about an adjustment. So I call nexxus. At this point I allowed Nexxus to take over for me. To date the bill has not been fixed. Another wall they marked for moisture was left unopened unable to dry out, more mold grew, a new company had to come fix that. The owner or the office manager won't call nexxus back. Corporate had to get involved, they still won't respond. We'll have to see how it pans out. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PAUL DAVIS!

Get expert buying tips about Mold Removal and Remediation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Paul Davis was dispatched by our insurance company to evaluate whether or not we had a claim for the work to our home. The agent in Sudbury called within hours to see if we needed them NOW or if it could wait for tomorrow. It could wait and so early the next day they arrived and did an inspection. We did not have a viable claim but the inspector was friendly, professional and very thorough. He described all the steps which were exactly as stated. Very satisfied with the speed and professionalism and will be calling them for sure should we ever need them in the future. Kudos Paul Davis in Sudbury Ontario.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I told the UPC insurance adjuster if I were bidding out a job, Paul Davis would not be invited to the bid – that’s how poor they were in our insurance restoration. As it turns out Paul Davis was one of UPC’s better contractors. If that is the case, I would hate to see the folks at the bottom of the list. First, and I am sure this is a standard line to make someone feel good and that they account for something, they will tell you they can have folks onsite the next day. Well, that is myth #1, they can’t and didn’t. Most of the time all we got was, we'll get to it next week.

Paul Davis and their representative (Ron **) basically showed little to no interest in our project until it was too late and things had been done incorrectly. First, the painters showed up and had no idea what they were supposed to paint! They had no paint and had no clue what was going on. Fortunately, we’re honest and told them only what they were supposed to paint. Still, they managed to screw that up by painting over electrical outlets and getting paint on the ceramic tile floor. They also managed to toss out all of the switch and outlet covers so we had to replace them. I know that is minor but it is also representative of their attention to detail which to me is a reflection of the contractor’s (Paul Davis) attention.

Paul Davis’s tile person was the absolute worse. Not only can he not lay tile but he cleaned up his equipment in our landscaping! So, imagine all the gray mortar in your black mulch and on your plants (one of ours died due to all the mortar on it). He also got mortar on the red brick paver driveway and was supposed to clean it up, which he didn’t. The floor was so bad Paul Davis had to bring in a second tile person who did a little better. But by that time, I wanted all these people out of the house (took 2 months to correct which is absurd). I cannot recommend this company. They are very poor in customer service and caring about a quality job.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I read all the reviews and decided to stop working with them. They never gave me a contract and just moved forward with the repairs. My insurance company recommended them so they thought they were hired. I never hired them and have no contracts signed. Read the reviews, they are an extremely dishonest company and you will have sleepless nights worrying about your home and your possessions. It is not worth it to work with them. Never, ever again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Davis?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Unprofessional, useless. My house got hit by the lighting in July and the insurance company assigned Paul Davis to "help" with inspection and repairs. All they do is to take pictures and bill the insurance astronomical amounts for work not done properly or partially done and when you discover one of their invoices as I did, they disappear. Avoid this company, they are not honest at all.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

They put 5 fans and 2 other things in my house for a week. Tore off all flooring. Left Staples and nails sticking up in floor. Sent a guy to replace sub floors. I'm on walker and one of the board split and was found not nailed down. Flooring guy comes and said sub floor was not safe. No braces put down. Sent someone else to pull up and replace all the 1st guy done. They kept taking hot water heater out and went two weeks with no hot water. 1st time and second time went a week and a half. Went over a month with washer and dryer pulled. Had to go to laundry.

My stove was wired into the house and they pulled it and I had no stove or microwave for almost a month. I was told twice flooring guy was coming and each day I got up early as had to catch cats and put them up. I'm on a walker and don't get around good. Now I've been told they will come put in flooring Friday. Today is Tuesday. One of the days they were suppose to come. Also I have been without a downstairs toilet over a month and they know I have to climb 13 steps to get upstairs to a bathroom. They sent and did poor workmanship. Jason the guy they assigned to my case lied to me not once but twice. I do not recommend them at all.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Insurance company chose PDC to repair/refinish our hardwood floors after frig leak. Their sub did a horrible job, cross-grain sanding, damaged stove & fridge during move out. Utter lack of communication. No supervision of subs, wanted to charge us double what another sub charged for repainting. Their attitude is haughty & condescending; in utter denial of any of the problems/damages they caused. Not just one employee; they ALL had this attitude. An absolutely HORRIBLE company to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I wish I could give negative stars for this sham of a company. The Louisville, KY franchise left wet flooring, wet insulation, and wet baseboards in my home after my water heater burst and leaked approximately 600 gallons of water into my home and crawl space. They advised me that the "mold" I saw was actually water staining from slow leaks & my insurance would never cover it. I was told that Paul Davis is not the water mitigation expert (by Paul Davis workers), and was told they could give me a referral to a company who was. (They stopped answering my calls at that time and never gave me a referral.) They also told my homeowners insurance company that I had no organic growth.

My home was not treated for mold when they came, and I was advised to not file a claim regarding the mold. 2.5 months later I had another company treat my home for black mold, and my crawl space for green mold, and was able to get my homeowners to pay for this service. Paul Davis offered to give me $500 back on the bill, and the moment I questioned how this number was derived, all contact stopped. That was 8/22. NEVER EVER EVER LET THIS SHAM OF A COMPANY INTO YOUR HOME! I LIVED WITH BLACK MOLD FOR 2.5 MONTHS BECAUSE OF THESE unprofessional, uncaring, and dishonest people.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I wish I could give negative stars - HORRIBLE COMPANY, RUN DON'T WALK FROM THIS COMPANY!! We had a waterline leak that caused damage to our home including drywall and tile. They were on the ball with getting the floor dried out and getting the mitigation done, however, everything crashed after that. Although I can say that while they were painting my kitchen floor with Kilz to protect against any further mold, they painted the side of my BLACK fridge white, they didn't clean it, they didn't even tell me. I had to find out after they left, and it's on the side of the fridge which I cannot clean because I cannot move the fridge by myself.

It's been almost 4 weeks since the mitigation ended, we had a contractor at my home on Wednesday (8.7.19), who basically told my husband (who by the way just had knee surgery) that my children and I needed to move the fridge so that he could drywall behind it because he was going to be there alone the following day. He also told my husband that he hated his job. He did not cover anything in my home so the drywall that he did the dust went throughout my home. When he arrived on Thursday (8.8.19), he took it upon himself to just walk into my home. He did not knock on the door, even though that's the lie that he told his supervisor (I checked my cameras). He literally walked right into my garage and into my home. Asked my 15 year old son "so what are we going to do with this fridge?" He's the most unprofessional contractor I have ever dealt with.

When I got ahold of Paul Davis and the manager on the project, at first he sounded concerned and kicked his worker off the job. But when I spoke to him today he sounded less concerned about his contractors actions. Now my house isn't completed, I'm going to have to find another contractor and wait even longer to have the repairs done. All throughout the entire process they have been uncertain about finding a painter to do a two tone textured paint, even going as far as asking my husband and my children if we had paint for the upstairs and basement. They have continued to be slow in getting my home back into pre-incident status and don't seem to care that their contractors are costing them jobs. GOODBYE PAUL DAVIS, you will never work in my home or the homes of anyone I know again!

Not sure about Paul Davis?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mold removal company for you.

Paul Davis expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Paul Davis is a national line of full-service restoration companies. The business’s services include fire, water and mold restoration services.

• Variety: Paul Davis offers not only mold removal expertise, but also fire, remodeling and water damage services.

• Convenience: Paul Davis has a nationwide network, so it’s easy to find a franchise when needed. In addition, the company offers 24/7 emergency services for when customers need help with mold quickly.

• Extra services: Paul Davis offers a slew of additional services for water damage, including the cleaning of personal belongings.

• Customer service: There are many Paul Davis franchises, so the quality of customer service at each depends on the staff. It’s hard to predict the level of service without having experience with the particular franchise.

• Cost: Paul Davis is a relatively pricey mold removal company and restoration due to its prevalence and experience.

• Best for: Home or property owners and renters.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team