3.5/5 (54 ratings)

About Paul Davis

Paul Davis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Davis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Davis?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I hired Paul Davis restoration after someone fire bombed our house. I found them to be dedicated to restoration in a very professional manner. Their work was above and beyond. We have return to a nearly rebuild house and I would recommend them without question. The management and staff are truly professionals. Thank you.

Original review: June 23, 2021

We were under the direction of Liberty Mutual to use this company since this was a homeowners claim. This small water damaged project has been ongoing Since March 15th, 2021 and the project is still not completed as of June 23rd, 2021. Every step of the way we have had to supervise all of the work. They do not follow through and the contact is obsolete. Worst experience we have ever encountered.

Get buying tips about Mold Removal and Remediation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Paul Davis crew came out and put a tarp and sandbags on our roof in November 2020. Today when we were removing the sandbags, we were SHOCKED to find their crew had taken the anchor rope for our boat anchor and cut it up to secure the sandbags to the tarp. The rope costs about $25.00 to replace, but that is not the point. It was in our garage, so the crew was in there looking around then took the rope without our permission. What kind of people are they sending out to do this work?!? They knew what they were coming here to do, why was it necessary they take and use our personal property? This behavior is completely unprofessional and unacceptable.

Original review: April 29, 2021

They left an absolute mess, kept fans on 24/7 in spots that did not need to be dried so that they could charge my insurance company more money, did not open parts of the wall that should've been opened from Day 1 (insurance rep had to get involved), and blatantly lied to my insurance agent about when they finally removed the fans, telling him that the fans were removed on a certain date/time not knowing that the insurance agent was at my home at that exact date/time.

They also fired the person who initially came to assist us after two days because he actually opened the walls and ceilings to assess the damage whereas the other two who came only wanted to use fans and not open anything. When we broached them about this, their attitude came across as hostile and I felt awkward being in my own home. They charged my insurance company $6k for about 4 hours of real work, terrible quality, and almost a full week of fans operating at decibels that damage hearing. Unquestionably the least professional company I have ever had the misfortune of doing business with.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Paul Davis is on home owner's insurance preferred contractor list, provides cheaper price to competitors to have the job from insurance, asking the money in advance and then abandon the job or poorly executing the job. I found thousand of same insurance-contractor scam running through the country with the same company-Paul Davis Restoration. Also read the ratings of Paul Davis.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I've owned houses with many years with hiring many. They are the worst I've ever had. If you consider hiring do yourself a favor and don't think. Not professional, lack of communication, very rude or not helpful at all. Paul Davis brings you headaches, long delays, no phone replies over months, overpriced with items charged but not done, 1.5 year job that should have taken less than half that time, horrible quality of work, labor with shady workers and ways and did not fix defective workmanship they promised. I would give them a zero if I could. I only lived there a few months and the counter is buckling and half the kitchen floor is coming apart. They said they would fix it months ago and never called back.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

To whom it may concern: My name is JR ** and I would like to tell you about my experience with Paul Davis Restoration. So we were right in the middle of the Tick Canyon Fires in Oct 2019. A Paul Davis associate lives right up the street from me so naturally I would have thought of supporting the neighborhood and all. The very first meeting we had scheduled was cancelled only after I called the estimator 15 minutes after the scheduled meeting. He was very busy as a result of the fires so I rescheduled… Guess what, he was a no show again, only to arrive an hour later once I called him to find out if he was still going to show up. Although he missed or was late multiple times throughout (he has a son that plays basketball and he coaches him), the process went ok after that as far as the timeliness of the work performed, mostly!

They brought in several companies the clean our house from top to bottom, they replaced all of my attic insulation (they had to reschedule because they didn’t bring sufficient product for the job), because the airdrops that were occurring on top of the high winds, our house was a target of the bright pink "Phos-check" all over my house, a company was brought in the pressure wash the entire house top to bottom. So lots of work going on. The insulation company also dirtied our walls, soiled our carpets and knocked a picture off the wall in the staircase as well. I took it upon myself to re-clean the carpets and fixed and rehung the picture myself.

During that period of time where multiple contractors coming in and out of our house daily, there was quite a bit of damage incurred by the contractors (some mentioned above), a separate large family picture was mishandled and dropped on the floor shattering the glass, a focal point window covering was broken to the point where it is unusable (we just leave it in the down position because it's no longer functioning), I have several valuable bobble head collectables where at least two were broken, all of the external woodwork was pressure washed to the point where there are large areas where there is no longer any paint of the wood so it is bare to the elements now), the stucco on the outside was damaged by the Phos-check and the pressure washing, there are other things that were damaged but I think my point is being made.

So as we came to the end of the what they referred to as the "Clean up" stage, I began to have the conversations with the estimator about the repairs that needed to be made once the “clean up” was completed. That seemed to me so I did not become concerned at that time that I had asked multiple times with no good answer. But I did ask him when they would be coming out to fix the damage, he then indicated to me that he was part of the “clean up” crew and there was a “repair/rebuild” part of the project and that person would reach out to me very soon. I was reluctant at that point especially when he presented me with the sign off document that his part of the job was completed, again sounded reasonable to me.

When time came to pay the bill, I had a very minor communication issue with my mortgage company/Insurance company (both reputable companies), all of which were Covid-19 related. It was hard to be able to contact anyone by this time. In addition, I work for a large corporation where I am required to come into work daily (7 days/week) as I am considered an essential worker so communication with my financial institutions became even more difficult. It was really starting to get hairy with the world wide pandemic all the while I kept in contact with my mortgage/insurance companies as to get payment to Paul Davis as soon as possible.

The person I was dealing with became decidedly aggravated with the situation so I thought setting up a three way call with all involved would prove prudent. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time and situation. Well, I won't repeat the language he used in my letter as this may be read by someone sensitive but the language he used during the call was so offensive the representative on the phone hung up abruptly. I called her back and she indicated she wouldn’t tolerate bad language and had authority to hang up. I told her I didn’t blame her but I apologized and went about my day. Something like… I want my XX**** money!

I also receive multiple threatening emails that they would be forced to send us to collections if we didn't pay immediately. As mentioned I work for a major corporation and understand needed to pay timely but there are times where stuff just happens. I don't know about you but I don't have $30,000 just sitting around just in case of something like this rare exception comes up! Paul Davis received their money only days after this outburst by the person I was dealing with so really uncalled for in my opinion. The funny thing is he offered me unsolicited business advice by stating if I had a customer that owed me $30,000, I would have done the same thing. Well as an individual who has responsibility to an $80+mm dollar area, I would never raise my voice, use bad language and make threats to a person if they don't pay NOW! Needless to say this was not advice I was willing to adopt.

Finally as part of the "promises" Paul Davis Company made me… Shortly after the fires were extinguished the fire department came out and assisted us with getting as much of the pink chemical off our house as possible. This seemed helpful until we went back to the kitchen only find >3” of water in on the kitchen floor as a result of the high pressure water being used to clean the Phos-check form the back of our house. The water came in through the sliding glass door and covered the kitchen floor. Luckily we noticed it right away and quickly sopped up the water, but the damage was done. All of the lower kick plates of our kitchen cabinets were stained and discolored.

The weird part of this was all along I continued to ask about the damage and wanted to know when that would be completed. At a point right before I was tricked into signing off of the "clean up" part of the project, I asked one last time about our kitchen kick plates and the estimator got real excited and told me that my insurance company had been pushing back on that part of the project but that his manager had just told him that Paul Davis Company would cover the repair as we had already spent more than $100,000 in clean up and it wouldn't be costly to replace the damaged/discolored wood. I have that in writing by the way in a text conversation with the estimator. That sounded reasonable to me so I signed off on the "clean up" part of the project.

Now to the "rebuilding" part to the project… Well I was done with my relationship with the estimator (he ghosted me once I asked him to help me with the kitchen repair and remind his manager that they promised to replace the damaged/discolored wood) so thought it made sense to contact the estimator's manager which I attempted multiple times. So I'm thinking all of my exterior trim would be repainted due to the high pressure washing (paint was 3 years old by the way) to remove the pink fire retardant, I'm thinking we’re going to be contacted by someone that can confirm the damage/broken items incurred by the contractors and lastly a company that would be working on my kitchen cabinets.

Nothing but crickets for weeks. So I reached out again to the manager via text and told him of all of the issues in this letter. He responded that "This was the first time he is hearing of any of this" and if I could be patient he would address each concern and get back to me on Tuesday... Perfect! Well if he would have responded it would have been perfect. I text him on Thursday May 28, 2020 and have yet to hear back from him. I text him a couple of weeks later thinking he meant a different Tuesday but still nothing. What really sucks is I live about 20 houses from this guy and I get to see him coming and going and he won't even make eye contact, he knows the way he/Paul Davis has treated us. All I want is my house put back to the way it was before the October 2019 Tick Fire in Santa Clarita.

Sincerely,

JR **

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

So we had water damage from our upstairs bathroom to our downstairs bathroom. My insurance company suggested Paul Davis restoration. Kyle came out and reviewed everything and said, "Oh you have a busted pipe," WITHOUT tearing open the ceiling to confirm the pipe was leaking and said, "You need a plumber." So I hired a plumber. Plumber comes out and says, "No you don’t have a leaking pipe. I have no idea how he came up with that," saying every restoration company they deal with will examine the area to make sure it’s a leaking pipe. Turned out that the water was leaking thru the grout of the tub. So I had to pay the plumber for coming out so this made me upset.

Then Kyle once again said, "We can get someone out there to work on this right away. We should have this done within a week." 2 weeks later finally the tearing up our bathroom and drying out the floors it was done. Was going to hire them to do the repairs but again Kyle said, "We could come out next week, get this done within a week," again lied to once again. He kept promising and NOT delivering. They hire people that constantly lie.

I have my elderly father living with us and I had to put him in a hotel for 6 weeks before I could get everything done start to finish because we had no bathroom for him to use. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service. Also when I had talk to him the last week Before moving the fans Over the phone Kyle raised his voice with me because I called him out on his lies. I told him it was not ok to scream at your customers and that was very unprofessional. He said, "You're right Heidi. I’m sorry. We will be out there tomorrow to pick up our equipment then you can move forward with the contractor of your choice."

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

After a fire on Feb 25th, 2019, Paul Davis (London) still has not finalized my claim. It was a small electrical fire with most of the damage being soot and smoke. They initially estimated the damage at $168K but have invoiced my insurer for $225K in repairs. Several of the contractors who did repairs did not receive payment for over 6 months, and only upon threat of legal action did some of them get paid. Their appraisal of the damage was incorrect, underestimating the actual quality of the damage. They damaged some of the goods that they salvaged from the fire. It took them over 7 months to become active in the repairs. And it took them 6 months to partially complete the re-build. They owe me roughly $20k for materials I purchased for the re-build. And ONLY NOW 6 months after I moved back in are they demanding to see receipts for materials I bought. The competence of this company at the management level is deplorable.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

One of the worst experiences in my life. Totally unprofessional and inept. Blamed the insurance company for their shortcomings. Rude when asked questions. Never knew when they would be coming. Never lived up to a schedule. Hired inferior subcontractors. Poor workmanship with no supervision nor checks on work by Paul Davis. We hired another company to correct their ineptitude. Beware to anyone who uses Paul Davis. Stay clear!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

My family hired this company after our commercial property experienced a fire. The work took longer than originally promised. The clean up work also was not complete per what was agreed upon in the contract. I've tried several times to work with the franchise/owner (Wilson Tomala, owner of the Norcross, GA location) and he has been unwilling to honor the agreement. I've even contacted the corporate office and they have been of no help. I've basically been told they have no authority over the franchisees. Unbelievable! He hired a subcontractor and did only partial clean up, in my opinion to save money. As I'm told he was cash strap due to the pandemic. Totally unreasonable and unwilling to complete the job! Foolishly I paid in full and learned after paying that there is still debris left in my building. I would NEVER recommend this company!

Paul Davis author review by ConsumerAffairs

Paul Davis is a national line of full-service restoration companies. The business’s services include fire, water and mold restoration services.

• Variety: Paul Davis offers not only mold removal expertise, but also fire, remodeling and water damage services.

• Convenience: Paul Davis has a nationwide network, so it’s easy to find a franchise when needed. In addition, the company offers 24/7 emergency services for when customers need help with mold quickly.

• Extra services: Paul Davis offers a slew of additional services for water damage, including the cleaning of personal belongings.

• Customer service: There are many Paul Davis franchises, so the quality of customer service at each depends on the staff. It’s hard to predict the level of service without having experience with the particular franchise.

• Cost: Paul Davis is a relatively pricey mold removal company and restoration due to its prevalence and experience.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team