Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.88/5

Paul Davis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Davis?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Davis?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

So we had water damage from our upstairs bathroom to our downstairs bathroom. My insurance company suggested Paul Davis restoration. Kyle came out and reviewed everything and said, "Oh you have a busted pipe," WITHOUT tearing open the ceiling to confirm the pipe was leaking and said, "You need a plumber." So I hired a plumber. Plumber comes out and says, "No you don’t have a leaking pipe. I have no idea how he came up with that," saying every restoration company they deal with will examine the area to make sure it’s a leaking pipe. Turned out that the water was leaking thru the grout of the tub. So I had to pay the plumber for coming out so this made me upset.

Then Kyle once again said, "We can get someone out there to work on this right away. We should have this done within a week." 2 weeks later finally the tearing up our bathroom and drying out the floors it was done. Was going to hire them to do the repairs but again Kyle said, "We could come out next week, get this done within a week," again lied to once again. He kept promising and NOT delivering. They hire people that constantly lie.

I have my elderly father living with us and I had to put him in a hotel for 6 weeks before I could get everything done start to finish because we had no bathroom for him to use. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service. Also when I had talk to him the last week Before moving the fans Over the phone Kyle raised his voice with me because I called him out on his lies. I told him it was not ok to scream at your customers and that was very unprofessional. He said, "You're right Heidi. I’m sorry. We will be out there tomorrow to pick up our equipment then you can move forward with the contractor of your choice."

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

After a fire on Feb 25th, 2019, Paul Davis (London) still has not finalized my claim. It was a small electrical fire with most of the damage being soot and smoke. They initially estimated the damage at $168K but have invoiced my insurer for $225K in repairs. Several of the contractors who did repairs did not receive payment for over 6 months, and only upon threat of legal action did some of them get paid. Their appraisal of the damage was incorrect, underestimating the actual quality of the damage. They damaged some of the goods that they salvaged from the fire. It took them over 7 months to become active in the repairs. And it took them 6 months to partially complete the re-build. They owe me roughly $20k for materials I purchased for the re-build. And ONLY NOW 6 months after I moved back in are they demanding to see receipts for materials I bought. The competence of this company at the management level is deplorable.

Get buying tips about Mold Removal and Remediation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

One of the worst experiences in my life. Totally unprofessional and inept. Blamed the insurance company for their shortcomings. Rude when asked questions. Never knew when they would be coming. Never lived up to a schedule. Hired inferior subcontractors. Poor workmanship with no supervision nor checks on work by Paul Davis. We hired another company to correct their ineptitude. Beware to anyone who uses Paul Davis. Stay clear!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

My family hired this company after our commercial property experienced a fire. The work took longer than originally promised. The clean up work also was not complete per what was agreed upon in the contract. I've tried several times to work with the franchise/owner (Wilson Tomala, owner of the Norcross, GA location) and he has been unwilling to honor the agreement. I've even contacted the corporate office and they have been of no help. I've basically been told they have no authority over the franchisees. Unbelievable! He hired a subcontractor and did only partial clean up, in my opinion to save money. As I'm told he was cash strap due to the pandemic. Totally unreasonable and unwilling to complete the job! Foolishly I paid in full and learned after paying that there is still debris left in my building. I would NEVER recommend this company!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

INSURANCE CLAIM REMEDIATION/RESTORATION OF WATER DAMAGE IN KITCHEN: The project took 11+ weeks instead of the 7-8 weeks estimated. About 12 feet of cabinets were demoed to be replaced with newly built units. Problem is they did not "blueprint" or document the existing before demo, so days later, the restoration carpenter had nothing but an old photo I happened to have. Demo team trashed key pieces of the cabinet drawers that carpenter needed. Cabinets took longer as a result.

Restoration project manager (PM) never produced a schedule. I was pulling teeth to even get a two-day look-ahead, which was never right. PM managed everything by "hand-waiving". Extremely poor communication by the PM as to what the heck was going on. PM did not follow-up on things committed to just days earlier. Zero in writing or in notes - even though we all recognize that plans may change. But that's only if you have a "plan". Subs showed up not knowing what to do, what was next, when they should come next, when a certain item was to be completed etc.

Same subs had to return multiple times to do an hour of work. First thing the subs did upon arrival was to ask me what to do and what’s going on. Subs were not even aware of what their full scope of work was. I had several days of zero activity and no kitchen. Some scope items were ignored. PM only did occasional unannounced 10-minute drive by’s and overall coordination was nonexistent.

Frankly it got to the point that little the PM said was trustworthy. I never got the final site cleanup that we discussed. I had to do a lot of the clean-up myself. PM exhibited a hostile demeanor early in the restoration. PM was non-responsive and uninterested in emails regarding our concerns or questions. The "content manipulation" scope item is a joke. Even what paperwork they produced was sloppy. Honestly, I saw ZERO value in their overhead and profit markup. If an insurance claim were not involved, I would have stopped everything and kicked them off my property early on. One star is too many.

Original review: May 4, 2020

My mom house roof caved in while she was in a nursing home, the insurance company recommended Paul Davis, this company took almost half the money up front, it took them almost 2 years to sheet rock and the repair its original form, it was a nightmare. These people subcontract the bottom of the barrier to come out and work on your house, I had cameras watching them work, they were terrible, one guy dropped a refrigerator he has taken out and denied it, I showed the tape to a lawyer I had to hire to make them finish the job correctly. Jason one of the project managers sold us a bunch of lies, pretending that Paul Davis had their own employees, when they go out and hire different contractors for all their jobs. I had to threaten them with the media, when they packed our furniture they broke expensive statues and did not want to reimburse us. We lost about $25,000, run, run.

Original review: April 21, 2020

The mitigation for water damage was amazing. Our Paul Davis contact was at our location many times, and always gave me notice of what would happen next and when to expect it. The Reconstruction services were a nightmare. Our Paul Davis contact was at our location once, prior to his crew starting. He rarely, if ever, kept me in the loop. I often called him asking the status and what to expect and when. He never even came at the end of the repairs to see how they were done or if we were happy with them. They painted 2 rooms incorrectly. One the complete wrong color that didn't match the other walls, and the other room in a different shade. I spent several hours cleaning up spackle and dust marks, because the project took several months to complete.

All the sudden I got a bill, still thinking the work was not complete, nor complete to my satisfaction. Wouldn't the main contact come to see what was or wasn't completed. Still not to this day. I wish they sent out a satisfaction survey after. I don't understand how this person still holds his position. Very, very disappointing. I will never use their services again. I think they were very overpriced for the level of service we received.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I had a terrible experience with this company. They were on my insurance company's "preferred" list for an emergency roof leak. AFTER they recommended to replace the roof without looking at it, the SAME EXACT leak happened again. They refused to discount or refund the unnecessary work. They recommended a new wood floor which was not necessary after their own contractor examined it. I had to fight for refunds for work that was on the original quote that was never completed. My home inspector found several aspects of the roof that were incomplete or inadequate. One example: they did not follow standard nail-spacing practices between shingles.

As you can imagine if the big things were a disaster, there is a slew of little things that went wrong along the way to prolong this project. They demanded payment before their work was done, and they drug their feet for the extended warranty they promised for the untrustworthy work after they finally finished it. I recommend NOBODY works with this company and will be working to have them removed from this large insurer's preferred list.

Original review: April 14, 2020

My hot water heater leaked and damaged the floors. This company tore my floors apart, moved the furniture, and left it that way for three months. Unknown to me, they finally installed the cheapest laminate in the room. It has curled up and is a mess. I have to replace it myself now. FYI, I am a widowed senior citizen who was quite ill at the time. I found their representatives and workers to be rude and inattentive most of the time.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Paul Davis had rating sheet signed within 1st month. They said they needed to pull off job for 4 other floods returned after 3 months. Mold increased and attic never past test. End job disaster out $$K.

Paul Davis author review by ConsumerAffairs

Paul Davis is a national line of full-service restoration companies. The business’s services include fire, water and mold restoration services.

• Variety: Paul Davis offers not only mold removal expertise, but also fire, remodeling and water damage services.

• Convenience: Paul Davis has a nationwide network, so it’s easy to find a franchise when needed. In addition, the company offers 24/7 emergency services for when customers need help with mold quickly.

• Extra services: Paul Davis offers a slew of additional services for water damage, including the cleaning of personal belongings.

• Customer service: There are many Paul Davis franchises, so the quality of customer service at each depends on the staff. It’s hard to predict the level of service without having experience with the particular franchise.

• Cost: Paul Davis is a relatively pricey mold removal company and restoration due to its prevalence and experience.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team