3.7/5 (137 ratings)

About Paul Davis

Paul Davis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Davis?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I don't know where to start but I hope this review will stop somebody from having to be homeless. This is a franchise of a national company. Please be careful. This particular owner has contracted the worst tradesmen to complete the smoke damage to my home that I have ever seen! It has been 17 months and he quit because I hurt his feelings when I was told in October that my house was FINALLY finished only to find mismatched cabinets, flooring that looks nothing like we ordered (you can see the difference between the sample and the floor plank shown in the last 2 pics), screws coming out from underneath window sills, gaps around almost every light switch and light, and to top it all off bathroom counter tops that are oozing with caulk to make them fit and a bathroom mirror that is crooked and doesn't meet the counter. I can go on and on (49 picture worth of major mistakes). His response when we asked him did he feel like he should fix this mess. "You signed the contract and we don't warranty out work". CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

This is the worst company I have ever encountered in the residential construction field! Our 90 day job has taken over 18 months, 3 project managers later and is still ongoing! As part of the restoration work they refinished our wood floors and the finish was so thin that a drop of olive oil soaked through. When we complained and asked them to redo the floors properly they brought in an "expert" to provide an "independent" opinion (that the work was higher than industry standard). The expert turned to be the subcontractor! We were forced to hire a true independent industry expert that said the work was crap and needed to completely redone. Now they want us to trust them to do the work correctly and I want to hire another company. Run from Paul Davis Restoration.

Get buying tips about Mold Removal and Remediation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

Aug 5, 2022, my water pipe from my water heater unplugged from the water heater. There was water everywhere in my basement. I called Allstate home reconstruction department for assistance. The referral was Paul Davis to come out and help with reconstruction. At first, they did their job, but then they verbally lie about an agreement showed up on the Bill, and thus I left with a $7849 bill (content storage). I asked, *Does the insurance cover for moving the content from my house to your warehouse?* He says, *Yes, your adjuster confirmed that it will be paid for.* (Thus I signed the E-sign.) 3 months later I get a bill saying that the (Reconstruction is $15879 and the 895$ for something else was paid for).

Then it says *Owed amount: 7849$.* I called them for the misunderstanding concept that occurred in the bill. (Allstate paid for the Reconstruction & something else but they didn't pay the *Content moving*) (Stored for only 2 weeks.) I was told verbally that I wouldn't have to worry because he confirmed it with Allstate. (Allstate refer them thus I trusted Allstate opinion when hiring Contractors whom to fix a disaster.) Unfortunately, ended up losing more money ($7849) because I trusted Paul Davis for an Oral MISTAKEN Agreement. If your Insurance hires them beware of their underhanded *Verbal Lies*.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

Fire started on 05/13/22 and as of today I still don't have a complete garage. First day company came out and was able to assess the situation. 1 restoration person was doing the cleaning that day but did not return until June 23, due to no pod to place any items in after cleaning them. Dumpster was delivered until June 24th. So, this is over a month after that some things were actually being done. Manager Curtis was always making excuses. They hired some Temp people that did not know what they were doing. I even caught one smoking weed in the vehicle on my property. The temps would leave cigarette butts everywhere, along with garbage. I would walk out and hear them complaining of all the stuff they had to clean. They would throw things away without recording it as they are supposed to. They broke items that I cannot replace. One of their drivers even drove through my yard taking branches off of my Crab apple tree.

Pack up took until end of July, when they hired an independent contractor to take out the drywall and insulation. He showed up and completed 40 percent and then went on a 2-week vacation. I ended up taking down drywall, insulation, and a storage room to help speed things up. They finally attempted to get an electrician out on July 27th after I had to ask, "have you done this yet"? Then Curtis gave an excuse that my insurance company wanted a second quote on electrical. So, Curtis found another company to come out in September for a quote. My insurance never asked for another bid.

The electrical company wanted half down to even schedule the repairs. Curtis would not release any funds from the insurance check to do this. Then someone for the garage doors finally showed up in August. The doors had to be ordered by another company and only arrived in October. Needed funds for those also. Curtis would not release funds to pay for anything. Throughout August his mitigation crew that did not know how to even operate a paint machine sprayed white lacquer all over my garage walls and floor of course. Missing spots that needed to be covered due to smoke damage. Did not even clean before using the spray. They would buy a 5 gallon at a time and run out, so they dragged out the process until September. I would constantly call, and Curtis would not answer, but he would text back saying he would call me right back. Never got calls back.

I finally got fed up and called my insurance company and cancelled Paul Davis services. I could not get any funds for repairs until end of October. I went through the pods to see how everything was doing in there since it had been sitting so long and I needed some tools out of it. They stacked heavy containers on light, it was like a tower of Jinga. Broken container totes everywhere. Then Paul Davis sent my insurance company their quote on what was done. Total fabrication on everything. Their project manager Josh called me to ask if could sign the check. I said no due to the fact of how I found all the totes in the pods. Then he asked if he could come out and finish up restacking of the pod stuff and clean up the paint on Monday Oct 31. I told him I did not want anyone out there unsupervised. He assured he would be there and that he hired a whole new crew that were trustworthy.

No one showed up but then I get a text on November 7th. "Oh yeah, we were out there last Tuesday and got stuff stacked right." Things were still stacked unsafely and had fallen down. Paint was not cleaned up. I was very upset that no one called to tell me they came out onto my property. They have gone through 2 office managers, numerous cleaning staff since May. They lost the form I signed on day one and want me to sign another along with the check for their services, but I am refusing until things are corrected and replaced. Do not use this company. So much more happened during this time but it is Dec 1st, and I still don't have a finished garage. All my belongings are sitting outside in Pods and under snow.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Each time I sit on my patio I am reminded of one of the most dreadful days of my life…a house fire. The night of the fire PDR swept in as a guardian angel to assist. Being vulnerable and unaware of how to handle a situation led us to entrust them with the reconstruction of our home. We had a fire Oct 2020 and we encountered multiple delays in schedule, change in personnel, lack of prompt communication, unreliable subcontractors, tons of re-work because things were done incorrectly, and finally no transparency in the billing process (we purchased many items on our own to help expedite the process and we 2 years later don’t know where we stand on our refund to this day). It took us more than 1 year to return to our home due to these issues and when we returned PDR to this day 2 years later PDR has still been in and out having to fix stuff.

Now back to the patio…the original of fire 2 years later and 1 year since move in has not been corrected because PDR estimators understated the work that needed to get done to return this area to pre-fire conditions to the insurance and as we approached our filing timeline the insurance is unwilling to pay. Our home pretty much had to be rebuilt and we are happy to be back but the pain and emotion we’ve endured with PDR thru this process leads me to not recommend this company should you find yourself in an unfortunate position as us.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

About 55 feet of my wood fence blew down in a storm, Allstate recommended Paul Davis. They gave me an estimate to replace only 7 fence posts, a few panels and my gate for almost $7000 which took 5 months to get this estimate. I called another company and they gave me an estimate to replace 122 feet of fence that was damaged, all of the required posts and my gate for $5100. I'm assuming if Paul Davis actually quoted what I needed which is 122 feet of fence it would have been well over 10 Grand.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

PLEASE AVOID-Started off as an insurance claim to water damaged in my basement. My insurance company suggested this company. The estimator from Paul Davis came in and estimated the cost of repair. I asked for upgrades and extra work to which he said a new estimate had to be made.. That's when the trouble began. The estimator had to return to give us a revised amount for the changes we requested. (I will condense this story and hit on points of interest) He said he would have to send out an electrician. No estimate, no electrician no return correspondence from this company.

I had to chase the company, calling and leaving messages that were never returned in a timely manner. Finally spoke to two company secretaries (no time to explain why I define them as such), one hung up and the other advised she could not help me and I could take my business elsewhere. I called my insurance company and requested they discontinue services with this company on my behalf. My claim started in May 2022 and no work had been done by Paul Davis up till termination on October 2022. If your insurance or you want work done to your home/office, I recommend seeking services from other reputable contractors or at least get other quotes before you decide on this company. Buyer beware of this company's attitude and services.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

Paul Davis in Red Deer is a joke, their customer service including Colleen, Paul Davis himself is very abusive, their workmanship is beyond poor, Paul Davis is a company that dwells off insurance claims and charges ridiculous money for not completing a job and having to come back to try and finish it, even after they came back the workmanship was horrible, very low quality causing added time and expense for the repairs required, our basement flooded, Paul Davis let us down 150%. I do not recommend this very low quality and abusive company to anyone, they should not be in business period, have pictures to prove of the very low quality of workmanship, be happy to share with everyone.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I gave the demo process of our job 5 stars! But after the Paul Davis Portland/Vancouver company got paid for the demo portion of my reconstruction job by Allstate, they dropped me this week. Left me in a lurch looking for contractors to finish what they promised they would work on...from beginning to end. I was told by the Paul Davis company that they would take care of the process, every step of the way. From demo, to restoration. I had nothing to worry about. They got this. I trusted them. Now I have an unusable bathroom and a stripped down laundry room.

I believe in business, a promise made should be a promise kept. Not, we promise to do your job from A to Z...unless something bigger comes along. I am not fat to be cut, I am a homeowner and a human. My house may not be much to your huge franchise, but to me...my home is everything. Trust is everything when you let people into your life and your home. And you have let me down. You have disappointed me in so many ways, and completely upturned my life. I have never heard of a restoration company leaving a house in shambles like this. Nor did I ever imagine a restoration company could drop a client in the middle of a job....

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

They never came when they said they would. Almost everything they touched needed to be redone. Scheduling was terrible. All work is done by subcontractors that I had to manage. Paul Davis project management was non-existent. I never knew who I was dealing with. The job took way longer than it should have. They installed trim that did not match existing trim. They damaged my walls. I do NOT recommend them.

Paul Davis author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Paul Davis is a national line of full-service restoration companies. The business’s services include fire, water and mold restoration services.

• Variety: Paul Davis offers not only mold removal expertise, but also fire, remodeling and water damage services.

• Convenience: Paul Davis has a nationwide network, so it’s easy to find a franchise when needed. In addition, the company offers 24/7 emergency services for when customers need help with mold quickly.

• Extra services: Paul Davis offers a slew of additional services for water damage, including the cleaning of personal belongings.

• Customer service: There are many Paul Davis franchises, so the quality of customer service at each depends on the staff. It’s hard to predict the level of service without having experience with the particular franchise.

• Cost: Paul Davis is a relatively pricey mold removal company and restoration due to its prevalence and experience.

Paul Davis Company Information