2.62/5
Based on 29 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a mold removal company?

32 Paul Davis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

In May '18 one of the pipes under my kitchen sink came undone and flooded onto my hardwood floor. I contacted my insurance company and they said I had to use Paul Davis Restoration of Utah for the emergency clean up. Paul Davis Restoration of Utah came out in a timely manner and did the demolition and clean up from the emergency.

For the reconstruction, I decided to use Paul Davis Restoration of Utah because they had done the emergency work and I didn’t want them to blame any encountered problems on the emergency clean up or demolition because it was them who did it. Throughout the reconstruction, Paul Davis Restoration of Utah, continually had the wrong people there on the wrong day to do work they weren’t qualified to do. Because of this they ended up doing damage to parts of our existing house that were not damaged as part of the flood. They damaged our cabinets and broke our granite countertops during removal and re-installation. Throughout the reconstruction process we have had to live in a hotel, go weeks without a kitchen sink or water, wash dishes in our bathroom or in buckets, and go weeks without a stove to cook on.

As of today, 5 months later we are still waiting for them to replace damaged cabinets and damage that they did to our appliances during the reconstruction stage. I have contacted: The president and discussed the problem once. When I tried to call him again, he had his calls screened and would not return my call when I left a message. The project estimator about the problems that we are having and even though he offers reassurances of the work being done, we continue to have long delays. The project manager constantly. The only time we hear from him is when we reach out to him. He will reply and make some commitment only to see the time go by with his commitment not happening. I have never been in a situation like this before where people just don’t do what they say and when escalated within the company, nothing happens.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I suffered water damage from a leak in the hot water tank, which is in the attic. PDR was recommended by my insurance company, Hanover Insurance. Paul ** came out immediately, measured and gave me a detailed cost analysis. The crew was supposed to start the following week... it was almost a month until they showed up. I kept getting excuses that this one was sick; this one's eye hurt; etc. etc. At this time I had moved everything my from bedroom (except the king bed, two nightstands, one dresser, one bookshelf and a treadmill), walk-in closet, and two hallway closets to my living room, dining room and kids bedrooms. Two guys showed up for a total of about 12 hours over three days and then they were finished.

My son texted me the last day as I was in a meeting to let me know they were done already! I got home and THEY WERE NOT EVEN HALF DONE. The bedroom had only one wall completely painted; the ceiling in the walk in closet and in the hallway were already peeling off; you can see where they cut in the corners and ceiling with the paint; curtains and some furniture had never been moved; only two walls in the hallway were painted, and the fire alarms were never installed/replaced. I was hot and immediately called Paul **. He said "There must be a mistake. These are my best guys!"

He came out a few days later after playing phone tag. He inspected everything and said "Well it's not that bad". Yes, it IS THAT BAD! Before any work was started I had to pay $1406 up front with the balance due upon completion. Mr. ** assured me he would email me by Sunday to let me know when the guys would be back to finish the job. I never heard from him again. I have called and emailed multiple times with no response. This debacle all started in May, with the contract signed mid June and promises to be done by the first week of July. As of today, it is not completed. I will never recommend this company.

Get expert buying tips about Mold Removal and Remediation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2018

A few months ago, I had a dishwasher leak. Paul Davis was call out by my insurance. I’ve never seen this horrible craftsmanship. Wood vinyl floors with putty in them. Molding joints that do not align with clumps of putty in it. Then the bathroom they just put flooring in leaked. I go to do laundry, and the washer was not installed properly by them. Flooded the house again. Had to redo the first floor and the basement. Took over 2 months for everything to get fixed. Today I get an email from Paul Davis and it has a virus attached. So I ask to speak to a manager and he tells me “what do you want me to do about."

Original review: June 4, 2018

I had a flood occur in April. Paul Davis came in and immediately set about cleaning up the mess. They found mold and extensive damage and set up a containment field so they could clean out any dangerous spores/fumes. I was very happy with this aspect of their work. HOWEVER, dealing with the rebuild is a different story. I believe I have been very patient in dealing with all the delays but as of today (6 weeks after the event) there are still guys down there finishing up the tear down and I have no idea when any future work will be done.

Originally I was told by Justin that all would be finished in time for an event I was hosting on June 3... which was yesterday and I was forced to host it at a different location. I have been told a few times that PDR is very busy because of a recent wind storm we had in the area. While I completely understand the importance of helping people out of a disaster, I also believe a company shouldn't take on new jobs while forcing current customers to wait.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I wouldn't necessarily say the Paul Davis was bad but once the job (RESTORATION) was almost complete I couldn't get them back to finish. They became very unprofessional and I was totally dissatisfied with their attitude and lack of response. I would never recommend these folks to anyone I know or don't know for that matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Davis?

Original review: March 22, 2018

My company secured Paul Davis Construction to restore a 2200 Square foot home following a fire that occurred in October 2017. Their salesman was onsite before the fire was extinguished. Obviously, he was in the pocket of the local fire department. He oversold and the company began to under deliver. We were told that the house would be finished in 120 days. We are now approaching 5 months and the house is less than 40% complete. I have spent over 100 hours checking behind subcontractors, pointing out deficiencies, meeting with the Project Managers, meeting with the company's owner, contacting the Department of Professional Regulation, etc.

A site meeting today resulted in me being harassed, threatened, cursed out, and demeaned by 5 Paul Davis Tampa employees. Threats of lawsuits from the owner are repetitive rhetoric. Bottom line: Paul Davis Construction of Tampa has collected over $40,000 in their first draw and refuses to substantiate how it was spent. They requested another $65,000 and refused to do any more work until it was received. PLEASE complete your due diligence and make sure that you NEVER hire Paul Davis Construction of Tampa. We are now left to finish the job. THANKFULLY, we refused to pay the second draw, but still lost a lot of money and time by being robbed by this company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I am a small business owner in Lee's Summit, MO. I hired PDR a little over a year ago to build out my second yoga studio space. About 6 months after our LVT floor was installed, it began to peel up very badly. That was 10 months ago. After dealing with 5 different PDR project managers, all of whom have quit, the owner finally came out in person. We have TWO independent inspections stating it is the fault of the installer, Randy **.

We have had 2 'repairs' made to our floor with the original installer, using now 3 different lot numbers of material, and the original pieces are once again starting to peel up (they don't come up all at once, new pieces peel at random intervals). The lot numbers are different sizes and have a different finish than the original materials. I have months' worth of correspondence including a statement from a PDR rep stating this whole floor should and will be replaced. I try to run an ethical business, and when I encounter such appalling service and a complete lack of professionalism, I am shocked. This seems like a simple matter of making a well-documented insurance claim and letting everyone go on their way, but that is not what is happening.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We had a fire in our house 2 months ago. The power bar located under the fish tank caused the fire so we had a fire damage and water damage in the house. In the beginning we were positive surprised because the cleaning crew arrived the same day. They started cleaning and drying our house. The next day they started packing our stuff. They decided to take out our stuff to the warehouse. Some of them were damaged. Some needed to be clean.

Anyway after 2 weeks the house was ready to move back so they brought our stuff back and this was our big disappointment because before moving back the stuff they suppose to clean the house after renovation right? But they didn't??? The floors were very dirty. The stuff inside the boxes were totally mixed like stuff from 3 different rooms in one box. Some of them incomplete. Some of them broken. The dishes in the kitchen cabinets were still dirty and some of them is missing, front of the kitchen cabinets dirty, a lots of stuff from the house never come back (they are not on the list of loss) so I guess they stole them??? So our experience with this company just horrible. Took us a weeks to get back to normal with the house.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Hurricane Matthew flooded our home with 3-4 ft. of raw sewage and salt water. We had to rewire, replumb and totally rebuild. We were ready to move in when we were flooded by Hurricane Irma with 6" of salt water in Sept. 2017!! We want to thank you John and Team so much for rebuilding our beautiful home and getting us into our home by Thanksgiving 2017 and we had family here in our new home for Christmas.

Our building experience with you went way beyond our expectations from the beginning to the end. We were impressed with the way you worked so hard to get the plan just right from the beginning process to the end and especially the quality of work that went into each and every room. You listened carefully to what we wanted while your expertise guided us. You were easy to work with and made yourselves accessible to us throughout the process. THANK YOU John and Team of Paul Davis of St. Augustine!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I had a roofing company - Tadlock Roofing - not put a roof on correctly and it rained and my entire home and attached in-law suite became ruined by water damage. The Insurance Co, Olympus FL, made us use PDR for the restoration. In the beginning, the dryer guys, it was ok. When the actual restoration work began, we were told, at a face to face meeting, that it would be 4-6 weeks and they promised that our home would be back to its original beauty or even better. We are now 5 months!! in and nothing is completed. Their subs either don't show up or they come at 11 and work until 3pm...

We have been displaced from our home for this amount of time. We live in FL and the only clothes etc I took with me to the in-law suite (we were saving the insurance co money by staying here) were summer. It is now quite cold in FL and I have had to waste my own time on weekends going to the storage facility to find clothes and other necessary accessories. I have also taken time from work to stay at the house and explain to THEIR contractors what needed to be done. They broke more water pipes and re-flooded the home. Thanks goodness I was there because they had no idea how to turn the water off! Back to the drying stage. They used MY towels and window treatments to clean it up.

They have ruined bathroom accessories, fans, outdoor furniture, pool filters and other things in my home. They have never given us a project plan, nor any idea as to who would be at the house to work and when. We would call them and not get a response as to who would be at the home. Then while at work, they would call at 10am saying people were there and the house was locked... I ask you - would you leave your home open all day everyday "just in case" someone decides to show up? Their owner, Jim Ingold and his project Manager Robert are rude. Robert actually yelled and swore at my husband. We are the customer...they should be concerned about us. There is so much more I could write; the bottom line - do not hire or let your insurance company allow them to do any restorations in your home. You will be displaced for 6+ months and even then you will get shoddy work.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I contracted Paul Davis Restoration due to the nationwide backing of a large construction corporate firm and their franchises' ability to follow the mission statement from the CEO Rich Williams. They stole a deposit check that was to be endorsed by several entities and deposited in the GTE credit union for draft pulls. They cashed two of the three checks and took out a large draft of $40K from the first check that did make it to GTE. In all they took an over payment of $11K and the home is 75% done. They are now avoiding any further contact, have not received a confirm correction from the corporate name brand web based group. The customer service people will not escalate the concerns of ours and the un-inhabitable home we paid an overage by their representative stealing from us and not correcting our contract agreed to home situation.

This is criminal. Be careful using any Paul Davis franchise!!! We are seeking legal assistance as well reporting to the local news stations. In addition, they bounced many checks to their own sub-contractors, many with young families and the material suppliers in the area of Pasco County, Fl... http://pauldavisbusiness.com/meet-the-executive-team/. I would strongly avoid any contact with this group, ethics appears to be a non-virtue. I will admit they are talking to me from a corporate stand-point, but zero resolution. I have caught the local group in many lies, and have talked directly to many identified above who are affected by this cancer and so called manager/owner.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

In March of 2017 a house I rent out had a tenant who accidentally caused a fire which did quite a bit of damage to the inside of the home. The house was filled with smoke and windows/flooring was damaged throughout due to the fire and smoke. My landlord insurance company recommended Paul Davis. The adjuster from the insurance met with me and the Paul Davis representative to walk through the home and determine coverages and restoration work to be done. All was good at first. Once the insurance check came in, Paul Davis requested 1/3 upfront, 1/3 when work began and the final 1/3 when work was completed. This was not a small amount of money we're talking about.

Since they had already actually started the work - I handed over 2/3 of the check. After that, it was like pulling teeth to even get a hold of someone from Paul Davis. If I didn't reach out, I didn't hear anything. If I did and I got through, I was given excuse on top of excuse as to why the work wasn't getting done, including injuries on their side and them being busy. Finally in July I was told the initial work was completed and I should go inspect to create a final list of things for them to do to finish the work. The work that was done was ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. Tile was installed slanted and without proper cuts around the perimeter. Paint was literally 6 inches to a foot away from light and outlet switches. No outlet/switch covers were put back on.

Entire areas behind things were not painted. The paint was all the wrong color from what I had told them - which was to paint it what the old color was. Instead it was all painted white. After all of this, I got in touch with the insurance who made calls to this company and I was told work would be redone and made right where it was wrong. I contacted again after 2 weeks and still hadn't heard back from the new contact I had. After a month I finally got through and was told nothing was done yet! They are absolutely terrible. Stay away - find a more reputable company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

We had a ceiling fall from moisture in one of our upstairs bedrooms. Paul Davis was sent to us by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company (our carrier). From the start they were sloppy, not on time, and not very professional. They removed all the ceilings in every room and closet on the 2nd floor. They did not properly cover our floors which caused numerous scratches in the wood flooring. They put our furniture in a pod in the driveway in a very sloppy and unprofessional manner. Some of my furniture was scratched. We had to empty our closets and rearrange the pod ourselves.

When it came time for them to do the mold remediation, they treated the wall with some kind of material in a poor manner, so now the contractor will have to sand the walls before they paint. They did not put down any cover on the floors before they sprayed the sealant which is totally unacceptable. The sealant that they put on the wood joists in the ceiling were sloppily sprayed causing dripping onto the floors and now my floors will have to be redone (sanded and polyurethaned). I have never worked with a bunch of unprofessional group of people ever. This is a company I would never recommend to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

After a fire at my home, I signed a contract for emergency repairs, including turbo fans and dehumidifiers to keep the house from further misfortunes, beyond the fire-riddled sections. The promised equipment never came, and so over time mold and mildew took over my basement and the rooms above. Much of the contents could not be cleaned or restored, and they are not accepting responsibility.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Took advantage of a sick senior. Had her sign a one page contract while she was alone in the hotel. Had three extensions, work still has problems, it has been 2 years. The franchisee S. ** finally came out after two years when I contacted an Arbitrator about the issues. New floor was laid and has cracks in it all throughout the house. Floor trim was not installed correctly or not installed at all. Stucco on the outside was not completed to the foundation, so mice were getting in the house. Garage door hung incorrectly, mice getting in. Deposited materials from job site on the neighbor's property. Hook up stove wrong, (Gas Leaks). Cheap materials used and high price charged. So much more wrong, too many to list.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Hired PDNF after hurricane Matthew. It is now 5.31.17 and the project is still not complete! Very poor workmanship and NO ATTENTION to detail to the point where I'm pointing out the obvious issues and trash to the owner that shows little care. They left TRASH, NAILS and VERY POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP (the list is very long of errors) all over the yard (my dog got a nail in his paw)! WARNING - do not call them! Read the other reviews of the same issues. A NIGHTMARE to manage this company, as this is what you have to do for them to get anything done, and when they are done, it's poor quality.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

More than happy with the services of Paul Davis. They were very professional and really appreciate how friendly the customer service is. In addition, they are fast and flexible. The speed of service I was more than happy with. Liked that they are available 24 hours and willing to work with you around your schedule which makes them a place I would recommend them to anyone. The reliability of Paul Davis is more than exceptional. They are very fast with the process and also flexible with scheduling when you have a specific time and day in mind. I was happy with the value of the service. It is hard to find a company who are not only flexible and professional but also have friendly and great customer service and willing to work with you and answer all your questions.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Was on time. Spent the entire time working and being efficient and not spending time on the phone or sitting around eating lunch, etc. Thoughtful crew for sure. Finished the job ahead of schedule. Cleanup was outstanding. Efficient work crew. Finished a couple hours ahead of schedule and very well done. Have never had an issue since we had them over to work. Would definitely recommend to anyone who was interested in having this sort of work done. Cost was less that of similar businesses to do the same work. Was under budget in actuality. Would recommend for sure. A+++ service.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

The service was great. You will feel that you get everything you pay for and you will love the job that get done. You will love how this company treats. The job was done in a flash but not too fast to where I feel they rushed thru it. I could see the quality of the work they did and was very happy with the time it took to do it. They were there when they said they would be. Actually got the job done early. Great. So I would say very reliable service with no complaints. You cannot beat the service you get for what you pay. There is nothing that matches how great of a job they do for the value that you pay.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Customer service is always very friendly and helpful. If I have any questions they can always directly answer me instead of switching me to another representative. The service is always fast and usually the job gets done very early in the schedule. There are ever any delays with this service, I am fully satisfied with the speed. This product is extremely reliable in that it always works and intends for what its purpose is for. There are never any unreliability to their services or products. The value for this product is high in that the price for the quality of this service is overwhelming. This service goes above and beyond in terms of its value.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

The customer service of this company is one of its top aspects and they will help you for almost any problem you got to ask them. Always enjoyed talking to a representative. They did take longer than they said they would to remove the mold, but they still did it and that is what matters to me. Doesn't bother me too much. The service they provided for me proved that they actually care about the environment you live in and they take their time removing what you tell them to. The company has a higher price than most other companies doing this job, but its service and its quality labor proves this company superior over the others.

Original review: July 1, 2016

The customer service, I would recommend. Everyone knows what they're doing, they help you when you need it, they're always there giving out great advice. The scheduling process works, hard to get use to, but it's easy to get into doing. Once you do it enough, I would recommend it, you just gotta be fast. Inspection is very reliable and secure. We have them monthly. It's good that we have them the way we do, keeps everyone out of trouble. The value is very good, you get everything and more for your money. You won't be disappointed, that I promise you, the service is great.

Original review: June 26, 2016

In most cases they were extremely courteous. Nothing was left untouched, but all in all a great experience with the exception of a couple people who were temperamental and it showed. I had the pick of the litter. I was actually able to either go online or speak with someone on the phone and I chose online. Did not have any site issues or connectivity and it was a lot of fun. I was greeted by someone who was professional and thorough so it was a great experience. I also was totally impressed with how pleasant they were when responding to questions and it left me feeling important. Anytime you look at it is a cost but also what you get is the importance. In this case, I was assured my needs were met and they demonstrated what it is they do and how applicable it was to my company.

Original review: June 24, 2016

Customer service representatives were always friendly and nice on the phone.They attentively listen to customer request or problems and make sure that the issue is addressed in a timely manner. I was very satisfied with the scheduling experience. I was able to schedule an appointment in time when it is convenient for me and even when I wanted to change time, it was easy to arrange. I can describe my inspection process as very satisfactory as I was happy with the service provided. I believe it took regular amount of time, so can`t complain. I was very happy with the overall service received. I think the price to value ratio is good. I would definitely recommend this to my friends if asked.

Original review: June 21, 2016

Great customer service. They are available 24 hours a day. Fast to come with solutions and are great reliable. They are very helpful. They offer flexible schedule. Always many openings. They understand your busy schedule and try to accommodate as best as I can. I schedule a every other month inspections. They always come on time and always provide feedback on the people. The company has great value. Often times they provide coupons and other breaks. They offer great prices. Would recommend this company.

Original review: June 20, 2016

They are very, very professional and answer any and all questions you may have. They also will follow up with a phone call if you ask them. My scheduling experience was very fast and easy. I called and was in touch with a customer service rep right away. I had asked for a specific time and date, which I was given with no problem. The inspection process was very fast and easy to get through. The workers are very professional and respectful of you home. I did not have any kind of problem. The value is very, very excellent for what is provided. One of the reasons I love this company is that they do not overcharge you and will work with any price range.

Original review: June 16, 2016

Great customer service. Great communication. Great approach. Great offers. The hold process time of the transaction was no more than 10 minutes long. Also the agent was kind and polite. I called on Monday and they schedule for a routine on Wednesday. The scheduling was on-point and excellent. The hold time was no more than 8 minutes long. The inspection that I notice was a leak in the area. So that's when I called for a schedule appoint for the people of the company to come out and fix the situation. The service from the company overall was very good and nice. The service was very excellent and great. I would try the service again. I just hope I get a discount the second time lol.

Original review: June 15, 2016

Paul Davis had very polite, friendly, and professional employees. They got the job done quickly and we were very pleased with the outcome of their work. Would highly recommend! Scheduling was done based on what worked best with my husband and I's work schedule and they were able to get in and done quickly. They came in and the inspection was done properly and in a timely manner. The employees were very polite and courteous of our wants and needs. Couldn't have asked for a better job to be done and at a decent price. It's a nightmare when unexpected things happen and the employees at Paul Davis made the entire process quick and painless.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

Over 2 years ago, we found mold in and around my kitchen sink. My Homeowners Ins. came in and then sent Paul Davis out to look at it. I never once had a choice in who was going to do the work. They came in and packed up my kitchen and blocked everything off. For over 6 weeks they left a huge hole in my kitchen floor etc. Finally after I exploded they came out and put the underlayment down. They left me without a sink, so I was doing the dishes in my bathroom sink. That was until my neighbor brought over a garage sink, plywood and 2 sawhorses, so I had something to use.

Needless to say this went on for over 2 years and they still haven't finished. Since they took out 2 cabinets, I knew that the new ones would not match. SO I had them come over after I sanded down 46 cabinet doors and 18 drawers, to bare wood. They send over this idiot who tells me I have to put all the doors back on, SO he can nail them, shut to spray stain and varnish on them. RIGHT!!! I told him I will be doing the work my self.

The insurance company paid me to refinish my own cabinet doors. And they turned out beautifully. As of today's date of August 14, 2015 the job still isn't finished. It was started June 2013. A friend of mine had her entire house done, walls removed etc. and it only took them 2 months. For one reason they didn't have Paul Davis doing the work. ANOTHER thing too, they take on too many jobs and the ones they start never get finished. I have been very patient with them, and at this point my attorney will be taking over. I do not recommend Paul Davis to change a light bulb.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2010

After scheduling an appointment and the technician never being on site, I called five different times to reschedule and no one can seem to actually schedule an appointment correctly. Then once I do get through to the process, the times that I had available were all booked up but they weren't when we began the call.

Paul Davis expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Paul Davis is a national line of full-service restoration companies. The business’s services include fire, water and mold restoration services.

• Variety: Paul Davis offers not only mold removal expertise, but also fire, remodeling and water damage services. The company can help homeowners with a wide range of problems in addition to mold removal.

• Convenience: Paul Davis has a nationwide network, so it’s easy to find a franchise when needed. In addition, the company offers 24/7 emergency services for when customers need help with mold quickly.

• Extra services: Paul Davis offers a slew of additional services for water damage, including the cleaning of personal belongings.

• Customer service: There are many Paul Davis franchises, so the quality of customer service at each depends on the staff. It’s hard to predict the level of service without having experience with the particular franchise.

• Cost: Paul Davis is a relatively pricey mold removal company and restoration due to its prevalence and experience.

• Best for: Home or property owners and renters.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs