John Casablancas Modeling
1.87/5

Find a modeling and talent agency that's right for you

John Casablancas Modeling

165 John Casablancas Modeling Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 6, 2019

John Casablancas is the best thing that has happened to my daughter. We went to every class and got involved just like we would in regular school. We helped her take notes, reminded her to get her JC homework done, etc. The classes were very well set up. This is the real deal. I thought, “Okay, my daughter is definitely going to need my help.” I thought this was way over my head because now have to be my daughter’s manager. But, I didn’t have to do it alone. The JC instructors were there to answer to all our questions. We took all of the knowledge they provided and put in the hard work. Now my daughter has graduated JC and is getting nationally placed as well as auditioning for roles and walking the runway in youth fashion shows. Thank you so much to JC and Josh Grooms.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have been with John Casablancas school for Model and Talent Management for almost a year now. Yes it cost me a lot of money, yes the purpose is for training. However, those who come to the building and actually listen to the person giving the speech at the audition know all of this. Any agency is going to charge you a fee for classes. The training is legit, the classes teach a lot, and the teachers are also talent. They have gone through the exact same process. I myself have just been selected to go to LA. This is not a scam. This is all real, and if you take the risk and go through the process, then you would know that. The only people I see on here who are making negative remarks and reviews about JC are people who don't even try, or don't do what they are supposed to in order to succeed. I've seen my classmates move on and make more money than they put in to start.

Get expert buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My time at JC has been life changing and fulfilling. I have learned so much and have grown so much since starting my classes at JC. The classes are very informative and helpful in guiding you in the right direction when entering the industry. Since graduating from JC I have had the honor of working with INCAKOLA which is also a sponsor for Julianna Pena, a woman's UFC Fighter. I had the joy of working beside her on my last job with INCAKOLA. So already, I've had great experiences working with JC/MTM and I'm eager to see what's to come next. I would recommend JC to anyone who needs guidance or their dream is to be a model/actor. They will teach you everything you need know and help you even after you enter the industry. So you're never alone. If you need help or have questions, they are there to help.

Original review: July 26, 2018

This is one of the best things that has happened to my daughter! They don't lie about anything. They are very upfront since the beginning. What I really loved about them is that they would only have sessions on Saturdays, but due to personal reasons my daughter would definitively not be able to attend. The entire staff here took the time to discuss it, and then came back with the news that made one of my daughter's dream come true! Because of her, it was the 1st time ever that they would open up a day during the week! They even let her pick the day, so she picked Wednesday! Therefore people now can also come on Wednesdays!

My baby is only 4 sessions away now from being able to work professionally! I will always appreciate what they did, and what they still are doing for us! I know what to expect. One thing I can say to the people that are disappointed because there are fees, that if you don't make a sacrifice for your kids for their future, to help make their dreams come true, they may never think they are worth it. They may never learn to make a sacrifice for themselves, therefore, their dreams may really never come true.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My little sister got a call to come in for an audition! She did a photoshoot in one room and read some lines in another. Then she came into the room where the parents are and so did the other kids. The director who is also the receptionist one of them anyways came in talked about JC & showed us photos of successful talents they signed and showed us videos as well. The kids had to walk the runway and rate themselves an A B or C & how much they wanted to be there. With an 8 being low and she wouldn't accept them! They all did the runway and talked about what they rated themselves and how badly they wanted to be there! She also asked the parents and family members how long the children been wanting to do this since what age & if the family is supportive.

Then at the end of everything which took about an hour and a half she said, "When I call your name you will get your things and your person you came with," and go with the lady next to her! There were about 20 people in there and only about 6 people stayed! My sister being one of them. Then they closed the doors and said, "Congratulations. You made it past day one! I will call out times so you can pick which time you want so you can come back tomorrow!" We got the earliest time and came back the next day!

Now the next day we saw the headshots that were taken and paid $10 for which BTW they told us we would have to bring $10 for if we wanted them! Then we went into the room and talked about next steps! Now we went back to the rating of A B or C & about the training she would be doing! Now my sis will be going to a performing arts school in NY so she couldn't do the longer program which was 8 months. So I don't know the pricing of that but I do know that it was going to be two hours each training and I believe every two Saturdays. But since she is going to school for acting in NY she couldn't do that! So we are doing the three months program which she said are usually for people who is in the business or was and needs a refresher! So with this one it’s the same as the original one but crammed into three months! So learns the first few curriculums in one day for 4 hours!

Then the next two of them in July and August and graduates! The good thing is that she gets to do ads and promos after the first month! Then once she graduates she gets to do auditions for acting for TV shows and movies! Price included, photoshoots, training explaining how to do your makeup, the shade you will need, walking in heels, different terms for modeling and acting, reading from the teleprompter, and way way more! 3 months 3 classes on Sundays and 4 hours each class! And she also gets to attend the workshops to brush up on these skills since it’s once a month she is going for she will utilize the workshops! And those are included in the fee! The price was less than $1000! Was about $930!

But the good thing is I CALLED up the agency asking questions so I knew going in what it was about! They will not give you auditions for you to fail because you don't know what certain terms mean! You have to learn these things first! And they teach you that & she is signed for the year! If she did the 8 months one it would have been for 3 years! But she did the three months one so it’s only for a year and then she can either renew her contract or not! But she starts promos and ads after the first month and after she graduates she can do acting which is what she really wants to do!

They give you a secret site that only people who got accepted into it knows about and you get auditions sent to your phone and you need a login and password to look at it! You also do an online portfolio to help them decide which person to send on certain auditions that casting directors are looking for. My sister is very excited! She starts in 2 weeks! The good thing is if she does get auditions for acting and gets jobs for TV shows and movies she don't need to go to a school in NY for acting because she already got training here & she saved $40,000 because that school is very expensive! She will be spending less than $1000 here for 3 extensive months and they send her out on auditions and it’s up to her to book the gigs! So she won't need to go to college for acting when she already did school for way cheaper! And she is getting jobs! So that is amazing too!

They also do not promise you anything! They said they don’t promise you will get a job they don't promise you that they will hook you up with an agent or manager because that’s on you! They will get you auditions but it’s up to you to use the training and workshops you went to book your own gigs! They get your foot into the door it’s up to you to get your body through it! Commission is 10-20%. They don't get commission if you make anything less than $100 & yes!

So yes it is a training facility but they do get you to auditions as well! So we are all excited to see which auditions my sister gets after the first month and even after she graduates! The agency is a training facility first and an agency last because they want to make sure you will actually make them money for that year or 3 years you are in contract with them! And if you book an audition on your own they don't get commission for that because they didn't book the audition for you! And they are not exclusive so she can look for auditions and other agencies and agents and managers if she wants too as well which is perfect!

JC isn't bad! You need to ask questions when they call your child in for an audition ask to see what it is like. I did when they called my sister and you won't be shocked and surprised when they tell you she needs training! Of course your child needs training. They never done this before and they need to make sure you will make them money! And we saved $40,000 on a college she was going to for two years for ACTING CLASSES and spent less than $1000 going to training classes for three months and she will be getting auditions while in training! Yeah def a no brainer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Casablancas?

Original review: May 8, 2019

If you actually want to get started in acting or modeling, I advise you find an agency that values you and your talent, not simply your money. Once you graduate the program after paying a small fee of $2000, your "agent" will send you, grouped with about 500 other individuals, auditions. Some will apply to you, most won't. There is nothing personal about this company, they do not care whether you are talented or not, they see you as a cash cow & prey on your ambition and naivety.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I went to John Casablanca with a great desire to Model and Act. They told me I needed pictures done in their agency. They asked me to pay $600.00 for pictures which consisted of a head shot and full body shot. I had high hopes and big dreams just like anybody interested in getting in the business. They took my money, gave me my pictures, promised to call me and sent me on my way. Never Heard From Them again..! I got scammed and figured out the hard and expensive way that they make their money scamming people promising them LIES..!! I hope my story helps people avoid being scammed like me. IF AN HONEST AGENCY THINKS YOU OR YOU CHILD ARE MARKETABLE THEY WOULD SEND YOU ON JOBS AND WHEN YOU GET PAID, THEY GET THEIR CUT..

Original review: April 30, 2019

Like many here, I was young at the time. About 18-19 years old at the time. I was very much interested in pursuing acting as a career. My research led me to John Casablancas Modeling, like every one else I went in with my mother, who was and still is very supportive of everything I do to this day. We sat down. Got the information we needed to hear and it all sounded so good. So we she forked up the 2,000 that they asked from us. Long story short, nothing came of it. I got some headshots that I could have gotten from any photographer. And now here I writing this in hopes to help other from not wasting their time or money on this scam.

Original review: April 1, 2019

After reading most of the reviews, all the stories are that same. I received a call from John Casablancas and they asked me to bring my 12-year-old son, because they were interested in his talent of acting. They also said he was in the perfect age range (12 years old) and he would be auditioning for Jumanji 3. We attended the first audition and he read a commercial script, took some headshots, walked the runway and listen to a team member rant for over an hour. At the end, they told him that he made the cut and asked us to come back the next night for the “final cut”.

The first thing I noticed while we were in the waiting area was that the people that had been excused from the night before (who didn’t make the cut), was there meeting with representatives. Immediately a red flag went up. Then me and my son was called in a room to talk about his career and what they could do for him. Next thing I know, they are telling us that we have to pay $2,000 for him to attend all these classes and take additional photos (which could be purchased if we wanted).

Although, many thoughts went through my head I remained professional, but I don’t believe in discussing finances in front of children AT ALL. After I told her that I wasn’t going to pay, the lady got up and went to get another employee who told us she would refer us to another agency. They were so unprofessional and showed no compassion at all. This place is a total scam to get people money.

Original review: March 22, 2019

This place is a total sham. My son wanted to check it out because someone from this place contacted him. He's 17 years old so his mother and I had to accompanying him for his second visit. First they build a person up saying they have all of this charisma and talent. Then they ask for $2,000. It's a B.S. place located in a strip mall next to an Asian massage parlor. Gimme a break! It's not a real school. It's designed to beat you out of your money by some scammers who will promise to get you started in the acting/modeling industry. I love my kid but they played on his naivety. I'm glad I was there to shut this down. Actors go to college and it takes years to develop talent. I can't believe this place hasn't been shut down by the authorities. If something seems too good to be true then it mostly like is. Stay away from John Casablancas!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I received a text that was directed to my 11-year-old daughter stating that they were looking for fresh faces for 2019. Curiosity got the best of me, so I called and they scheduled an appointment for her at 1 pm. When we arrived, there were about 25+ other hopeful faces with another 25+ parents. This was not an exclusive appointment for anyone. Then they squeezed all 50+ of us in a room where we listened to a 25-year old (she shared her age) tell us how she started with JC when she was 11, then became an agent for them at 17 and the rest was history.

She gave some humorous stories about the industry and her experience places people with Disney and other big name entities after which each hopeful face walked the runway that was in this room. My daughter was chosen by the 25-year-old previously mentioned - a supposed honor because she works both in Dallas bad NY which is where she was leaving for (NY) later that day. Once in her office she blathered on about how beautiful and sweet my kid was and that they could definitely find work for her, however, they would need both parents there to contract her. Red flags were going off everywhere, however I decided to let this be a learning lesson for my daughter who sadly was getting her hopes up.

I did as directed, just to see this to fruition, and went home and got my husband and younger daughter who had just landed a child magazine cover on a fluke - no agent involved. Now back in a different office with another woman who was only on her 2nd week there, I asked the obvious question, how did they find us. Being new to the business she was not properly trained on the con-job, thank God! She told me that we must have registered online for information about the classes. I knew my husband and I had never done that and my daughter swore she hadn’t done it. I knew she was telling the truth because she didn’t know my cell phone number to provide and our last name was significantly misspelled in their database. She definitely knows how to spell our last name. Then the 25-year-old returned to the office we were in.

During our discussion she slipped and said something about her being with JC for 5 years. Hmmmm, the numbers weren’t adding up. She stated earlier that she had been with JC since she was 11, turned agent at 17 and was now 25. Second stumble was when she said something about looking forward to having dinner at a restaurant later that evening. The restaurant is a well-known restaurant that is ONLY in Dallas, however earlier she had told us that she was leaving after our meeting to fly home to NY.

Then came the numbers - $2000 for training which included 3+ years of unlimited refresher training and 3+ years of unlimited photoshoots. If you break the numbers down over three years of services, it’s not so insane, however knowing the stories weren’t adding up, I did not want my daughter getting caught up in this place/franchise. Yes, it IS a franchise - any old individual with some money can buy one and scam all day long. Oh and the 25-year-old knocked another business stating that they were NOT an agency. However, I know for a fact that they are. We were also told that even though if we were to sign with them and go through the training, we would still have the right to look for another agent and they would understand.

There are much better options to get yourself or your kid noticed. Spend 1 hour just to do some solid research and then Google or Bing reviews for a place that you’ve identified that might interest you. If there are a ton of negative reviews, there’s a reason for that. It’s a pain to write these, but even more of a pain to waste time and seeing a disappointed look on your kid’s face. They’d actually would have had a better shot at me had they just been straightforward and stated that this was for training because it appeared that I had shown interest at one point, even though it definitely wasn’t my daughter or me that had registered her.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Listen folks. This is a sales scam ONLY!!! They have you come in and supposedly you compete to get to next round where you just go in a room. They say, "We want to sign you with our agency. However it cost thousands of dollars but we will pay a portion." You need to pay for 6 months? Complete waste of time!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I was given a phone call and spoke to Bridgette, who is one of the lead “agents.” She told me on the phone I should come in for an audition and free photo shoot. For the first hour all of the people in the room (about 15-20 of which, 12 were young children, one was a 38 year old bodybuilder, and a few teenagers) we were required to stand. I was the ONLY person who read an improvised script on an iPad that she shoved into a fake teleprompter in front of a runway. For the first hour we stood and were told we had to pay close attention and learn “real life skills” because technology was bad and made us unable to communicate and network. Okay fine, that’s reasonable to some degree.

Then they showed pictures of anorexic teenagers and she focused on the young women and told them, “in order to succeed in this industry, you must work hard to look like these girls.” (I worked in health and had volunteered for law enforcement since I was a teenager. These women in these pictures, if they weren’t photoshopped, were close to clinical starvation). Because I was already an actor looking for an agent and had several who worked in this industry, I knew two things: I should not be expected to pay ANYTHING to sign up with an agency because any legitimate agency prospers by viewing talented individuals' work and skills and talents they had cultivated over the course of their lives. We were never asked to demonstrate or read a monologue or do ANYTHING in the audition except to walk down a runway and then stand.

Here’s the thing... On the phone call, their texts, emails, and pamphlets, they advertise themselves as a modeling and acting agency that can help you find auditions and land auditions in tv and film. They went through several example of actors that became famous - namely Kevin Hart. Well I’ve met Kevin Hart... I’ve met several actors because I travel internationally and perform improv and standup myself and because I’ve done theater. If you look at theater and tv, there are actors of all sizes and shapes, but almost none of them are anorexic anymore because Hollywood has transitioned away from anorexia and because its reputation started to wane and gain heavy criticism after many models and actresses started dying and having serious health problems 20+ years ago.

So the message they were sending to these young women who were 10-17 was disastrous and false information that was damaging to their self esteem. I met one mother whose whole reading or putting her daughter in modeling was because their dad committed suicide and because she wanted to get her daughter out of the house and start doing things she was interested in. The next day we were told to come back. Well as soon as I walked in I was told I could purchase the photoshoots pictures for 10$. That’s a scam and red flag right there because I have text message receipts that the pictures were supposed to be free.

I brought in a resume and had a notebook full of everything from USBs of videos, plays, monologues, songs, and musical performances that I had participated in and a long record of my performance history and experience. They did not want to see any of that and did not believe that whatever I had was good enough without ever having seen them. They told me that I needed to buy their 2,000$ classes for 30 weeks, and IF *IF* I graduate from their program, I could sign up for a non-exclusive contract with them for 3 years. I asked what happens after you sign up? Allegedly I can apply for a short list of auditions (their website has 10 auditions, 9 of which are modeling gigs that were not paid well, like 50$ for each one, and an unpaid advertising gig. It’s important to note that every contract they offered our group of people they (the agent/agency) receives 20% commision).

This “agency” is not established well and lacks connections with people in the actual industry. Here’s the way they operate: they sell you a 2,000$ “VIP” package (or lesser packages for a few hundred dollars less) and they get 20% commission off of anything you get booked for, of which they leave it to you to actually book, audition, and submit the materials. Traditionally, it is an agent's job to do these things FOR you. Your agent is supposed to be the mediate who negotiates on your behalf using materials you and your agent collectively determined were good materials for auditions. An agent/agency is NOT supposed to profit by selling you classes or lessons or 20-30 week programs. In fact, that’s so taboo in the industry that most actors, modeling, musician, and entertainment unions, professionals, and legitimate agencies condemn this extortion practice.

To give a mathematical value for how their business model works... My experience with them lasted for two days - 3 hours the first evening, and 1 hour the next afternoon. In sum, I spent 4 hours with this group and at the end they wanted, without seeing my work or history in the entertainment industry, 2,000$ (or 1200 after I told them I had no money to spare). So let’s break this down... Let’s say we have 20 people show up (I think my group had 15, but 20 is an easier number to do math with) 2,000$ X 20 = 20,000.

Had all of us signed up for their maximum deal, they would have made 20,000$ in a total of 4 hours. A person can get by for at least half a year on 20k, and afford the rent for the building they operate out of based on 4 hours of work! Had they taken the smaller option, the total would have been at least 10k, yet that’s still a ridiculous amount for no legitimate contract - because again, you may not be eligible for the contract after their 30-week mandatory classes!!!

In summary, this “agency” does the following: masquerades as a legitimate talent agency. Primarily profits off of selling classes that you do NOT need (one of the classes was a class that would teach you how to wash your face, hair, and clip your nails). Supports the outdated and condemned practice that women must be anorexic in order to succeed in the entertainment industry (I can think of several millionaire women on tv who started from nothing and have been clinically obese their entire lives/careers. Heck, I’ve met a few!).

Takes advantage of grieving parents and child innocence. I saw one “agent” trying to guilt trip a parent into buying the package deal and assuring her this was the standard for the industry. As a person who has engaged in this industry who has traveled to several countries and has met many actors and whose friends are actually on major tv show productions like Revolution and Gotham, let me just tell you straight up: you are never supposed to pay anything for the contractor to continue with an agent.

They seek talent and find work for talent. An agency is never supposed to create talent or take money upon startup. I’ve also been told that a 20% commission rate is higher than normal - a normal/acceptable commission rate should be somewhere between 10-15% however, because I have not lived (merely visited) expensive places like New York, Las Angeles, Atlanta Georgia, etc, I suspect there is a possibility that the commission rate may differ based on location.

WITH THAT SAID... North Carolina is far cheaper to live than those places, so one would expect the commission rate to be lower than the acceptable range because there is less opportunity for actors, models, etc in NC due to the eradication of all tax incentives, loans, and even financial incentives in general for entertainment to work and produce in NC. (To clarify, you should do research on how the previous NC [republican admin/sorry for politics, but this is historically true and not mean to be a political jab] stripped entertainment industry incentives.) Because of this, most models, actors, musicians, etc fled like scared sheep and flooded into Atlanta Georgia, New York, and to a lesser extent, DC.

My overall warning: this is a scam, not a legitimate agency. Also, I glanced at a computer behind the desk to set the scam photos down... I saw numerous pages for reviews and such. They create fake profiles on various review sites to create fake positive reviews. Even if you don’t believe anything I have to say, but I sincerely hope you do, the 2,000$ fee for the mandatory classes on how to wash your face and hair and clip your nails is literally their business method for income. It was printed on a blue piece of paper, with their backup packages on a white piece of paper. They also included an “unlimited number of professional photoshoots” however, the way auditions work for paying gigs is, you only need a few pictures. You don’t need thousands or even more than 20 (and 20 is pushing it).

My dad was a graphic designer for 20 years in an advertising agency and I work in creating film and theater projects for the community for the past 6-7 years... I have no need of unlimited photoshoots because my family and I can do it ourselves and if I wanted to pay money I could go to my city’s cultural arts center and have it done for 10$ instead of 500$. So I mean... Take that for what you will. There are also numerous videos of people who got scammed by these people. I suggest going to YouTube to take a look. Be careful - they do a good job of faking their business success.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Taking advantage of people with disabilities! Over a period of two weeks I left over twelve messages for Tracy at 636-532-1100 ext. **. Finally was able to reach an operator and told her I wanted to speak with Tracy and I did not want to be put in to her voicemail. I held for eight minutes and finally Tracy picked up. I explained to her who I was and that the office here in Tampa had giving me instructions to send a Certified Letter to the John Casablancas Centers home office to receive a refund for a transaction that my son with Autism had made not understanding the total amount of money "over four thousand dollars" that was entailed.

I explained the situation to Tracy and I was told that we needed to give her my son's banking information and she would refund his payment and It would take 3 to 4 business days to show up in his account. Out of $378 dollars the only refund he receive was $100. Since then I have been leaving messages again for Tracy and to date unable to reach her or get a callback. My son attended one meet and greet before I found out what was going and contacted John Casablancas Center in Tampa. What entails a $278 meet-and-greet. John Casablancas Center is well aware of my son's disability and clearly has taken advantage of him.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

This is an amazing school! Once you’re enrolled you can sign up for classes in any entertainment industry they offer. The classes are self-paced. They are familiar with the industry and you may land gigs anytime, so you can move your class schedule around as much as needed. You can even continue classes with them to brush up on skills for up to 3 years after you’ve enrolled. They bring in other professionals from the respective industry. Not only do you get to meet people you wouldn’t normally get the chance to. They are the best teachers. I enjoy every class I take with them, and they have already helped me land several projects I am happy to be a part of! It is so worth it if you are interested at all in the modeling and entertainment industry.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I'm embarrassed that I felt so excited for something that wasn't real. They get your hopes up, but then throw a giant price at you in order to make it come true. It's too good to be true. If you happen to have 2,000 dollars laying around, then take the classes they offer and see how it goes for you. I didn't get that far since I don't have the money. I just felt lied to. I thought this was a real agency, not some modeling school.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I auditioned with John Casablancas and was accepted into the program. Mark **, the director, told me that they make their money by getting you jobs. Mark ** told me that they really thought I'd be a good candidate. He told me at the end of my interview that in order to start, they have a 20 week course that by the way DOES cost money. It costs over $2,000 if you pay in full by the first class. I did not have the money but could pay $1,000. I decided it was just not what they were promoting and I sent a certified mail canceling my contract within 3 business days because I didn't want to work with them. It states on the contract that this is the protocol. I notified them by mail, certified mail and by a couple of phone calls. I received a notice that I owe them more money instead of them paying me back. Very dishonest people!!! DO NOT sign with them!!! Awful experience.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

They are very aggressive about payments. Moreso than discovering your talent. I got hounded by their corporate about declined auto payments when I was paying cash in the office when it was time to make a payment. Had to email them pictures of my receipt to stop the harassment. I was skeptical of John Casablancas when I first started because of friends' experiences so I was very observative when I started. I noticed that they have a very select few they connect with promising and credible agencies, and the rest that they don't truly see as marketable, they keep them at bay and string them along to continue "hustling" them for their money preying on their aspirations.

They are greedy hustlers. Don't take the chance. Even if you pay for a class up front encash it has to be the exact cash or they won't give you change or a refund. That's utter greed. Please save yourself the headache. Do your research, these negative reviews are for a reason. True enough some people may have been helped at JC but for the majority... it's a cycle of money hungry hustlers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have often dreamed of being an actor. I’ve done numerous community theater dramas and musical theater productions and even majored in theater in college. I’ve done research on what it takes to be come in actor and know that only 3% of all the actors out there are famous. I also know that I don’t want to be famous but would love to find acting work that would support me. Currently, I’m going through a job transition and thought to myself that now might be a good time to consider acting as a way to earn a living. Unfortunately, I don’t know where the auditions are. That’s when I decided to go to the Internet. I looked for auditions and stupidly filled out a form that would show me where the auditions were. The next thing I know John Casablancas is emailing me for an audition.

I thought what the heck and gave it a try. I walked into a room full of children and poorly dressed adults who had dreams of making it big! I was immediately skeptical. We stood in line while the “director” auditioned us! This was no edition. He met with each of us one-by-one. What a waste of our time. He read over a brief sheet of information that we filled out and gave to him and then asked us to read a sentence. It was an ad for Tylenol. He told me it was a sound interview, so he could hear how we sounded.

He then shared with us that we needed to look up from time to time as it was important to make good eye contact during an audition. Here’s where the psychological crap began. He made it look as if we did not know how to present For an audition. Yet he called it a sound check. The first step in making us feel like we might need him to show us what to do. He did this with a whole line of people while the rest of us had to go into another room and sit and wait. What a waste of time. While we were there, another young man took four pictures of us claiming it was our “photo shoot”.

Finally, after everyone was done with their “audition” the director came in and gave us a spiel about the company and about how they made people stars! (I am sure that many of these people didn’t know that only 3% of all models and actors are famous!) Yet, the director went on and on making it seem like we too could be famous. The next psychological part began as he showed us how much we didn’t know about modeling and acting.

We were then instructed to do a runway walk while the director and his sidekick watched us. It was obvious that there was little talent in the room And the director was further in stealing out in us that we needed John Casablancas agency to help us become stars. What a load of BS! After all of this they called us out one by one to let us know of our callback times. In any theater I’ve been involved in a call back means a second audition where you should have more prepared and do another performance.

When I inquired what we were supposed to bring for our audition he said, "I just told you you’re going to come back here and we’re going to go over your scores from tonight and talk about your future". What kind of call back is that? He also shared that we would hopefully not receive a call from him between 930 and 945 because those are the people he was going to call and say, "Please don’t come to your call back". He said he likes to do it that way so no one feels bad about being cut on the first night. What another load of BS. This was another way for them to make it look like they didn’t call everybody back but you know they did because all they want is their money for classes to make them professional actors.

Oh I almost forgot, he also had us grade ourselves from A to C. A - being we were ready to be accepted by the agency. B meaning we needed more training and C - it was not a good fit for them or for us. He had us do this grading ourselves in front of the whole group of people. He also wanted us to say why we graded ourselves that way. Excuse me but unless you’re already a professional actor or model who would great themselves A? This was more psychological crap to make it look like we needed him as he was preparing to scam for money.

I got my call back time. I didn’t receive a cut call. I went to my audition a little skeptical. When the director called me back and he didn’t grade me he started questioning about how I liked the audition and what I learned because I’m sure he was trying to fish that I needed more knowledge so that he could try to scam me into buying more classes. When I told him I was a bit skeptical and shared some of my concerns, he asked if I had a monologue ready. I said I didn’t at this time as he tried to show that I didn’t know how to come to an audition! However the previous night I asked what I needed to prepare and he said nothing. This guy was so full of crap I could hardly stand it! The more questions I asked the more defensive he got and he then said, "Well you’re not the person we’re looking for so I don’t think we’re going to be working with you".

I thought great I don’t want to give you my money anyway. Upon thinking about It on the way home I thought, “They called me back.” They wanted my money. If I had expressed a strong desire and no skepticism they would’ve taken it. They just did not want me questioning their illegitimate, scamming, work. I am sure had they been above board he would’ve addressed my concerns and assured me that everything was fine. However it was not. Don’t fall for this crap.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

John Casablancas Modeling agency my daughter got a call from the agency in Doral and they scheduled an appointment. When we arrived the place was consumed with so many people that they had to put us in several rooms. My daughter is with child and had a cup of water. No one told anyone that food and drinks was not allowed in the room.

This woman came in and announced that she was the director. She had a nasty demeanor that suggested that she was disgusted because the room was located where the photos were being taken. She came in the room several times and seemed very agitated and finally she asked us to move to another room. When we moved my daughter's cup fell and she snatched the cup out of my daughter's hand. She started moving chairs as she went down on her knees to clean the water up. Then she told my daughter to move and my daughter told her that she was disrespectful and that she was wrong for snatching the cup out of her hands. She asked my daughter what was her name.

At that point my daughter realized that she was not going to treat my granddaughter right and she told her if you are going to take it out on my child then I will leave now and she told us to leave! She also told the photographer to get THESE people out of here! These people I asked her. I also tried to explain how wrong she was for snatching something out of another persons hands. This lady showed that she is prejudice and racist towards **. Her demeanor suggested that she had power to dismiss people and did not think about the opportunity of the child. I am appalled by her behavior and will never ever support this company. I just want others to know that slavery is over and treating people of color with disrespect is unacceptable!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This company is nothing short of a SCAM!!! BE AWARE!! DO NOT LET THEM FOOL YOU LIKE THEY DID ME!!! Late May I kept getting phone calls for my son to go to a modeling cast call. I finally decided to call the company back. They made him an appointment. Upon arrival and several model and photo shoots later that evening, we were led to a big room with a few of the others who didn't make the cut. They all were individually interviewed. My son was told he had a perfect face of a model but since it was his first time modeling that he would be better off taking classes in how to model and to act. An appointment was made for us to come back the next day. The next day we met up with the supervisor who went over the training courses that involved paying money.

I asked would my son be getting gigs throughout these training classes and I was told he would absolutely get extra outside work while in training. Then I was told there were a total of 30 classes over the next 17 weeks, for over $1800. The classes are $72 each session and I was offered several ways the payment plans to pay. I chose to put down $640 and would have 2 other installments in which to pay off the balance. My son was to start the training classes the following week. After coming home and reading over the contract, I saw that I had only 3 days to change my mind for a full refund or that I would be able to refund after the 3 days and 20% would be retained and each class would also be deducted from my 80% refund amount.

About 5 days later son did not do his some of his chores and since my son has not attended any of the classes I decided to cancel. I was given the runaround and to the date still have not been given any of my $640 back. After contacting the BBB and Secretary of State this company has yet to answer any of my calls. Which leaves me no other alternative but to take them to small claims court to get back my money. Do NOT let these people SCAM you and take your money.

Original review: June 15, 2018

What a disappointment. Over the phone, the receptionist stated that there were no fees, that no modeling agency should charge anything except for commission when you start work. Absolute lies! After your kid gets their hopes up because they "made the cut" after walking the runway and reading a script, they call you in for the next interview the next day, one on one. That's when the heartbreaking begins. To watch my son's face light up only to slowly be let down was a parent's absolute torture.

The presentation was completely unprofessional, looked like copies off a 50 year old copier. The "agent" was way too young to be doing her job as she could not sufficiently answer my questions about How they could justify their $375 registration fee. I asked too many questions apparently as she had to call in a slightly more experienced agent who could still not justify the hefty registration fee. Then you have $2k worth of classes that are btw totally required. Run, just run away from this place and spare your child the heartache when you have to turn them down because of their unfair policies and fees.

Original review: June 1, 2018

When doing a search for modeling jobs, this agency called right away and wanted to make an appointment for an audition (for my daughter). The initial call with Matt was a bit concerning because he spoke really fast, which in my opinion, was a way to avert giving details. I asked questions because I am leery of agencies in the first place - I asked what the costs were and he replied, "The audition is free, the photographer will take some photos and that is free". So I asked, "Does it cost to join the agency in order to get modeling jobs?" His response was, "Our agency gets a commission."

So I made the appointment. We cancelled the next day because my daughter changed her mind and wasn't ready for it. The woman that I spoke to was abrupt and said, "What do you mean she is not ready?" She continued to argue and ask questions and said, "She may never get another chance at this". That was a huge red flag for me and will never pursue this agency if my daughter wants to start modeling. We have also had another comparison with Ford Modeling Agency, who has been VERY professional and understanding.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Acting: I had an appointment to meet with them about April 16, 2018. I canceled as my research showed that they were only interested in signing you up for expensive classes. I got a second call from them stating that is not the case and they recognize those who don't need training and asked me back for a second audition. I was tentative though felt I had nothing to lose. Showed up last night, did much better than anyone there, selected out of 25 individuals to read a script again and walk the runway. Some, I have to admit really sucked. They sent home 2 leaving myself and 4 others. We walked the runway again and read another commercial script. I KNOW I did the best as others were monotone, stuttered their words, basically talentless... P.S. ran the runway back and forth. The kept me till everyone was gone telling me how well I did and they wanted me back at 12:30 the following day which is today.

I showed up on time and soon taken into a room for a private interview of my pics and experience. Suddenly as they saw in recent comments that I refused to take lessons if I should need to pay for them their entire attitude immediately changed... saying that they have individuals with seniority that would be ahead of me for these roles and I should come back in 8 months. I have to say I was pissed as I had to drive a total of 80 miles to make what I thought was going to be a successful endeavor. They told me to come back in 8 months which I had no interest in doing so. I asked to purchase the photos the photog took the previous night. They told me to bring 10 bucks to purchase them though they said they lost the photographs.

THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE WAS A SCAM... I know I was the most talented there which is why they shunned me knowing I would not pay for lessons as that is where they make their money. As I continued to query them as to why they were insistent on having me come back today they got nasty and said they would call the cops should I not leave as there were other prospective clients there. STAY AWAY FROM THEM... even the famous individuals they claim started their career with John Casablancas is UNTRUE!!!

Original review: May 20, 2018

I was harassed on the phone (text) numerous times, mostly text. I was suspicious of their hours, had a suspicion they were not the real deal when they told me I would do a cold read. Nobody in the industry has cold reads anymore. The office was loud with music, blaring lights, and a lot of over made up and overly perfumed Valley Girl types. It was maybe appropriate if you were going to sign with the Circus. I have written a book about this scam, I have 25 years in the business and I plan to launch an all out attack on this fraudulent activity, starting in Orlando.

Original review: May 12, 2018

It was my first time trying anything for modeling. I’ve thought about it time and time again. I finally decided to try. They are cool peoples and nice and honest which I respect them for. Unfortunately I was cut when asked on a scale of 1-10 how serious I am. I said 5. Yes I wanna do this and if I passed I was gonna go for the top but at the same time it’s not a necessity to my already ongoing life and career. The one woman complained about wasting time but as she put it no one there was really "that good" so why not waste more time to see if there was a diamond in the making? That’s the only problem I had. Bring out one’s interest in modeling before asking them how much they wanna do it. And ask the right questions... smh. You can want very much to do something but that doesn’t mean you have the capability of doing so. They should have asked, "Can you see yourself doing this." But that’s just me.

I researched JC (John Casablancas) and saw a lot of scam claims. No, the woman said an "A" means you got the talent and you can start pretty much. A "B" and "C" is that you need a little assistance which is why you’re sent to a program/school to help you with your acting and modeling. Which unfortunately costs money that they don’t pay for. They aren’t mean. Just honest and people forget the truth hurts. I Feel they are legit. Most of the scam claims are misunderstandings of what it takes for them to do what they came to do, model and acting.

Original review: April 27, 2018

A place where you learn about how to become an actresses and/or model. They taught me things that changed my life forever. The teachers are caring and want to see you succeed. It is definitely a self esteem lifter. I looked forward to taking the classes and I met a lot of good friends.

Original review: April 20, 2018

First you're called to audition, you go there, this placed is so **. They take your picture, then you read a line (for Gap), then you walk on the runway (** deck) then they tell you (you made the cut, come back tomorrow for a second audition and bring 5 pic). We get there, the receptionist is already trying to help someone on the phone that is ** that they never got their photos from them. Then we go into this office, she sits us down and says (I will be right back). Leaves for like 5 min. Then comes back asking my son (How do you feel you did?) Then say we love you, we graded you a B+. Then looked at the 5 photos we did (she did nothing with them). Then sat there and she did nothing but lift him to the top by saying (Oh, how do that make you feel, How does that sound, if we work with you?) Then the fine print comes out after her whole car salesman pitch.

Then we get the ok, here is our packages for the classes $ 2150.00 (The VIP). You must pay right now, because he has to start classes next week. The way they portray things is very deceiving, and slimy. You think you are going to audition for something, then you think you're coming back to audition for some part, BUT NO, it's to take their classes. This whole operation is a SCAM to get you to enroll into their school.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Like everyone else, my daughter which is 11 and I went to the audition and was told to come back the next day for the second part of the audition or interview or sales pitch whatever you want to call it, I just knew they was going to ask for money and there my 11 year old daughter looking at me with hope and excitement in her eyes and I was going to give it a shot even though it cost a arm and a leg. After reading these reviews I now know this isn't the place I want to to do business with.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This company is only interested in selling classes. I have over a decade of experience in film, television and stage acting but they did not even bother with a call back. They bring in kids and clueless people and use tired cliche salesman tactics to lure you into buying classes. They promise you the world up until the point where they realize they have failed to sell their snake oil. Stay far far away from these people. Another review was spot on about the Jennifer Lopez music that was playing way too loud. Skylar is rude and condescending. She doesn't realize that if she was any good at her job she would be out in Hollywood and not stuck in Orlando selling BS. She has all the charm of a 70's used car salesman.

John Casablancas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

John Casablancas founded his self-named modeling agency more than 25 years ago. The company currently has offices in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Milan, Tokyo and is present in other various cities. The company focuses solely on representing models and actors, and it provides training and instruction.

• Fashion based: John Casablancas has access to the best jobs in the industry because of its locations in the world's fashion capitals. This ensures clients have the chance to get the highest-paying jobs with the most exposure.

• Board of Education certified: In many states, the agency is registered and certified with the State Board of Education, so it is officially recognized as a provider of education and instruction.

• In-depth instruction options: The company does not simply offer clients basic modeling classes, it has many in-depth courses, including skin and hair care, portfolio development, how to work with photographers, television commercial acting and the business side of modeling.

• Company reputation: John Casablancas Modeling centers have an excellent reputation because they were founded by John Casablancas, a modeling pioneer responsible for one of the most successful agencies of all time, which is Elite Model Management International.

• High-quality instructors: The company only employs the highest-quality instructors who have a great deal of field experience in their areas of expertise.

• Best for: Aspiring actors and fashion models.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs