2. Modeling and Talent Agencies

John Casablancas Modeling

1.9/5 (184 ratings)

About John Casablancas Modeling

John Casablancas Modeling Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Casablancas Modeling?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Casablancas?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was talked into the classes and even used my own hard earned money to pay the $279.90 or close to the school and asked for my money back before I attended my first class as we agreed. Told I wouldn't get 0.

Original review: June 18, 2021

One of the worst agencies you could choose to invest your time or money into. They are very scandalous and conniving. They are interested in taking advantage of underdeveloped/inexperienced talent. They demand 30% or more, while well aware the industry standard is 20%. They try to over exaggerate their benefits like covering travel, knowing any paid model’s travel is covered for the work she is booked for. This agency accepts anyone who they can get money out of, they do not care for talent. My experience was terrible, they have an agent named Kylie who handles most of their customer relations, she likes to try to use a fast talking energy to manipulate parents and children. If it works, later down the line when you have any issues or concerns, which I promise you will, she is the last John Casablanca’s rep you want to deal with. Overall 0-10.

Get buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I need to be honest so parents don't stop the dream but investigate. When my son went about this and was a part of MATTHEW SELECTION HE WAS THRILLED. I told Matthew my son works and he will be responsible. Matthew states he should. My son gave him the account information, but Matthew said a deposit was needed and I told him I will as long as I am not. Well, PaPa was in a fire just got out of rehab this year. Morgan, my son called them and told them the situation and they reassure him he can miss payments but they did not do this they kept on charging him for services he never received.

The bank wanted to reverse the payment but my son felt he could talk to them. He talked to a young lady who I DO not wish to give her name don't wish any hardship. However in stating this no one up until receiving a letter address to me saying I owe them 142.77 in collection against me. Also during that time after saying they will not, they took out $77 dollars 3 times. They did this before the payment was due and after requesting a pause. I pray this will help a parent, if the child can't handle do not do process a deposit, even if someone like Matthew will say, " it's only a deposit and this is the only payment from parents".

Original review: March 28, 2021

Other reviews that we read were either love them (opportunities arose, skill sets learned) or hate them (sales tactics, payment issues). So we went into the second day meeting prepared. While we did not sign up (yet), we were very impressed with the follow up where they try to get you to sign up, and it was very informative. I don't recall the individual's name, but there was no high-pressure sales attempt and the gentleman wanted to be sure this was something our son wanted to pursue.

Long before price or commitments were even brought up, we got a detailed breakdown of their 30 week instructional period. Our only regret was that it is currently done entirely virtual (e.g. Zoom), which has its pros and cons. Had they had an onsite/in-person training option, we would have probably signed up. The cost is not astronomical for what you get. Even if you do not ever become a model, actor, etc, there were multiple training sessions that would just be good to have for yourself in general. We will definitely revisit them again in the future, in the hope that in-person training resumes. Not everyone is cut out for virtual learning, and some things are just done better in person for some people.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

If you see this review, please do not join John Casablancas agency. After your “audition” they’ll throw a crazy price of $2,000 to join this agency the next day of your meeting. I noticed how they give such a small amount of time to put a downpayment. They’ll tell you that “spots are closing” and rush you to pay. As if they want you to pay before you even decide on this company. Very shady and unprofessional if you see this review this is your sign not to join!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

This "modeling agency" uses a variety of predatory scamming practices to support their business. Any professional business who claims to be as successful as this one should have clear, logical approaches to their application, audition, and onboarding processes. I attended 2 interviews with this agency and witnessed/experienced rude behavior from their modeling scouts at both sessions, toward both myself and other attendees. The scouts oscillate between "love-bombing" and incredibly rude, about-face tactics in order to scam you of your money. During the second "audition", (which is not even an audition to vet the potential signee, but a sales pitch to grab your cash), the modeling scout was abruptly rude and dismissive when I explained that my spouse was not, in fact, interested in forking over $71 a week right then and there.

They rely on the same predatory tactics that MLMs use to reel in potentials. They rely on the fact that 99% of their agency students will fail, pay their thousands of dollars in fee, and the 1% who do make it and become rich and successful will pay 20% representation fees to their company. They do not openly discuss investments that will be made by the student in an upfront and honest manner, and they do not provide a contract before asking for your credit card details! Please do not fall for this gross, predatory business (whose founder, by the way, was a predatory man).

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

1) They use the same “celebrity models” to advertise themselves.

2) They offer a contract to anyone who walks in those doors. Which is hundreds of people therefore you won’t be getting jobs. They can’t keep up with everyone!

3) I have been in this agency for 2 years and I’m now signed and working in NYC with an actual agency. They did not help me get this contract nor have I heard from them since I graduated. They informed me that if I stayed in touch and showed up to “refresher courses” then I would stay in the top of their lists for job. After doing all their recommendations nothing.

They are also listed as a modeling school with the state of CT and not a modeling agency therefore falsely advertising themselves to make money and getting away with this. I have reviewed them negatively on their main website and soon after it was deleted for being “reported false my the business” which happen to all their bad reviews. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH.

4) If you are looking into this for your young children it is more of a day camp then anything professional or getting job related. Even for adults this is compared to a cosmetology school in my opinion then a actual agency.

5) When I first got offered a contract they told me I had a day to respond and I ended up saying no. The next day I got a call from the agent saying that really want me and she can’t hold the spot. A week in I finally cracked (horrible idea) and paid their huge fee which they suddenly were able to take and weren’t overbooked like they originally said. They do not actually need to hold spots. They let everybody in!

When walking into my actual agency that wanted me to work with them. There was no fees. They didn’t make any promises and all they wanted was for me to make a professional looking portfolio that I did on my own with my photographers. Spent barely any money and have had the best luck! I’m saying this because if they want you. They will work for you!! For parents. Do not waste time on this place.

Original review: July 17, 2020

On Monday, April 20, 2020 my husband, and daughter and I met in an online Zoom meeting with a representative from John Casablanca to potentially enroll our daughter in their program. After the 20 minute sales pitch, we asked if we could have time to think it over considering the high cost of the program. Lisa, the representative from the Cary, NC office informed us that we needed to decide on that day and could not take time to consider it or we would forfeit the current offer. She asked for a $295 deposit to hold our spot and indicated that she would email us the contract. Foolishly, we paid the $295 deposit which Lisa assured us was refundable.

After receiving the emailed contract on that same day and carefully reading it over, we decided not to move forward with the high price, high pressure program. WE DID NOT SIGN OR SUBMIT THE CONTRACT. However, we followed the cancellation requirements outlined in the contract and cancelled our enrollment in their 30-week program via a certified, signed letter sent out on Wednesday, April 22, 2020, well within the 3 day cancellation period (although the contract was neither legal nor binding for us as it was never agreed to, signed, or submitted). We contacted the Cary office notifying them of our cancellation as well. My daughter did not begin or attend any classes as we had cancelled her enrollment prior to the start of classes.

According to the agreement contract, we are entitled to a full refund of our initial $295 deposit which we requested multiple times to be refunded as soon as possible. Again, we received no goods or services, did not sign a contract, submitted our cancellation via certified mail within the 3 day time frame, and have contacted the Cary, NC office as well as their corporate help desk (as there is no other contact information available to us) multiple times without response. Again, I'm uncertain as to why this company could delay or withhold refunding us our $295 without any legal reason for doing so. We made every attempt to follow all reasonable avenues to deal directly with this company to request and receive my refund with no response at all.

We sent at least 4 emails to the Cary, NC office along with 3 emails to the corporate office simply requesting our refund for 2 months with no response, no update as to the status of our refund, and no refund. We also placed multiple phone calls, but no one answers their phones. It is a shame that a consumer must beg and plead to receive a refund on goods and services that were never agreed to or never received. As an update, we filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau with no response from John Casablancas and filed a transaction dispute with our bank to try to refund our $295 charge. It is pathetic business practice that a customer must file a transaction dispute to fairly and per policy receive their refund. Unless you are certain that you want to lock yourself into this financial commitment for modeling classes, avoid them at all costs.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Where do I start...my daughter reached out to this "acting school" for acquiring to start taking classes. She "auditioned" one day but the manager or owner or whoever she's supposed to be, Janet, told her she wanted to schedule a meeting with my daughter & I. The day of the meeting Janet was RUDE from the jump! My daughter is a special-needs adult and this lady CLEARLY wanted to make her feel less than important.

Our meeting was at 1:00PM and my daughter KINDLY reached out to her at 1:00PM and stated: "Is it okay to log in". Janet did not respond to her until 1:15pm and here was: "I was on at 1:00-1:05 and did not see you. Are you ready now?" My daughter responded at 1:15pm with "Yes". I did not like the entitlement attitude in which she CHOOSE to speak to my daughter but I was willing to hear Janet out because my daughter really wants to attend acting school.

On the call, after her greeting, the NEXT thing out of Janet's mouth was: "Were you waiting on me to respond to join the call"? My daughter responded, "Yes". Janet then said, "I told you yesterday to just join in at 1 so I don't know maybe you misunderstood me." I chimed in and said, "Yes she DID misunderstand you and that's OK because it could happen to anyone." Janet responded with "Yes it could happen to anyone."

She then went to her "presentation" of how this school can offer this, that, or the 3rd meaning misleading promises. In the middle of her "presentation" she overheard my 10 month old baby boy in the back and said, "How old is the baby?" I said, "He'll be 10 months on Saturday." My son was crawling towards me so I turned my attention to him and Janet said, "Wow 10 months huh, maybe he will grow up better."

Although my attention was on my son I STILL heard what this lady said! What the heck she was trying to imply that my son's life may be better he wouldn't be met with the same challenges my disabled daughter has? Or that since my daughter do have a disability, she probably didn't have that great of a life growing up?! I didn't know what she meant so I asked for clarity. I said, "Excuse me, what did you say because I'm having a hard time understanding you." Cowardly she didn't repeat it but I know what I heard. By the that time I'm done with the conversation. So I told her, I'll think about it and discuss it with my husband. This place is more than just a scam, it's ran by some disgusting, rude, and ableism people. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. And to Janet you need to educate yourself on how to properly communicate with people, especially those that are different from you. Do better!

Original review: May 21, 2020

I am an actor from NYC, and recently moved to the Philadelphia area. I have worked in the industry for years, and the people John Casablancas Modeling are the most unprofessional people I have ever encountered in this industry. First of all, they have you audition in front of everyone else in this online virtual cattle call. And then they rate you individually before the entire group. This is never done in the industry. Highly unprofessional. And some of the actors are kids! Your audition should be done privately. If the audition is online, then it should either be a one on one Zoom meeting, or done in a Zoom Breakout room, where it's just you and one or two other agency people. And you should be given feedback PRIVATELY, not in front of the entire group of actors.

I am a middle aged actor, and I auditioned with mostly kids and young adults. After reading the commercial copy, they rated me an A, and then told me I would be contacted by email. Then they just abruptly cut me out of the Zoom room. I never got the email, and when I inquired via text, I was just ignored. I can accept a rejection, but don't lie to me by saying say that I will be contacted when you have no intention of doing so.

I contacted John Casablancas, and informed him of the unprofessionalism of his team. He had texted me an hour before my audition saying he looked forward to meeting me (he never showed up by the way). So I texted him this message: "Hi. I auditioned on Tuesday night. I was given an A, and told I would be get an email requesting headshot and resume. Never got the email. Texted the agency back and got no replies. This is really unprofessional." And this was Mr. Casablancas' response: "Excuse me the email was sent and your texts did not come through. I don’t work for Verizon so maybe lose the attitude."

I never received any emails as promised. And if they didn't have my email, they could have texted me (because I had received numerous texts from them prior to the audition). Whether this was ageism or racism (don't see my demographic represented in their Instagram photos), I will never know. But it doesn't matter. As I said, I have worked in the industry in the NY metro area for years, and I have never seen such unprofessional conduct and been treated so poorly. My advice: STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS AGENCY.

John Casablancas author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

John Casablancas founded his self-named modeling agency more than 25 years ago. The company currently has offices in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Milan, Tokyo and is present in other various cities. The company focuses solely on representing models and actors, and it provides training and instruction.

• Fashion based: John Casablancas has access to the best jobs in the industry because of its locations in the world's fashion capitals. This ensures clients have the chance to get the highest-paying jobs with the most exposure.

• Board of Education certified: In many states, the agency is registered and certified with the State Board of Education, so it is officially recognized as a provider of education and instruction.

• In-depth instruction options: The company does not simply offer clients basic modeling classes, it has many in-depth courses, including skin and hair care, portfolio development, how to work with photographers, television commercial acting and the business side of modeling.

• Company reputation: John Casablancas Modeling centers have an excellent reputation because they were founded by John Casablancas, a modeling pioneer responsible for one of the most successful agencies of all time, which is Elite Model Management International.

• High-quality instructors: The company only employs the highest-quality instructors who have a great deal of field experience in their areas of expertise.

John Casablancas Modeling Company Information