2.4/5 (95 ratings)

About Judge Judy

Judge Judy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Judge Judy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Judge Judy?

Original review: April 1, 2022

I have watched the Judge Judy show on and off for several years, but can't stomach it anymore. We all know it's for sheer entertainment and no judge's behavior like hers would ever be tolerated in a REAL courtroom. But it is appalling beyond belief how this show continues to air with such a rude, arrogant, and dare I say, mentally unbalanced "judge" in charge. Her constant interruptions and refusal to let defendants and plaintiffs adequately answer her questions, along with her yelling and pounding her pen on the lectern are just starters. Her assistant, Burt, has also had to point things out to her and/explain things that she should understand, but for whatever reasons, doesn't. She comes across as being angry at the world with every intention of taking out her anger on whomever is standing in front of her. This is disgraceful, especially with the amount of money she pulls in from this kangaroo court.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

This show has an evil side to it that I just don't like. I appeared on Judge Judy in 2018 and haven't been able to shake that experience. I feel so stupid doing this, but it's necessary. I hope to type it all out here, leave it, and begin to heal. I reached out to the show when my then ex-boyfriend refused to repay the back rent he owed. I needed an arbitrator to help bring us to an agreement that would help resolve the issue. I was contacted back rather quickly and spoke to one of the show's producers. That person worked with me from beginning to end.

In the beginning, he wanted me to explain my complaint further. I explained what the issue was and offered to provide proof. He instructed me on the next steps in the selection process for the show. At the end of our call, I gathered all of my evidence and submitted it over. Everything he requested I submitted. He called me back a day or two later. I was told that my case was solid but my story is boring. He took it a step further and asked me if I had any drama going on between the defendant and I that was not include in the case. I immediately responded with no. He got quiet and said, "I don't think you will be chosen to appear, but we will see." I replied, "Okay, thanks for your time" and hung up.

Two days later, I got a call informing me that I will be appearing on the show. I was so happy! It had nothing to do with being on television (I do extra work). I was happy that I could finally get a resolution. Fast forward to the appearance, the producer told me prior to walking out that the judge read my statement and gave last minute instructions. When it was time, I walked out to set with my evidence, nervousness, and a shaky confidence. As soon as I answered the only question she asked, she went in on me HARD. She said, "I know women like you" or something in that demeaning effect. She made me feel like it was the worst thing in the world to be a black mother.

She made me feel low, spewing words about me that in reality do not and did not reflect me. And denied the case without hearing testimony or even reviewing the evidence. In fact, the defendant's counterclaim for the return of a television he purchased during the relationship was granted. I watched as she treated that man like I wronged him. After filming, I walked to the back and cried. I felt like I agreed to be verbally assaulted when all I wanted was a resolution. Both the producer and defendant in the case told me that they didn't expect what happened.

For years, I have played that moment in my head and did not want to share it. I oftened wondered why someone who didn't know of me personally could have such a profound negative impact on another person's life. I also wondered what she was given regarding me being a guest on her show to come to that type of conclusion and deny me the right to have my case heard. I felt embarrassed any time someone would tell me that they saw me on television. I felt ashamed for not speaking up for myself. I feel emotionally destroyed from this. I have tried to live with it, but her words haunt me. No one should be allowed to conduct themselves in the manner she has. No show based on reality should allow their host to treat their guests like Judge Judy treats hers.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I was just a "watcher" of her show. But not anymore. I have watched her "tear apart" too many people as they are "trying" to tell their side for the last time. Seems she is allowed to continually interrupt people try to talk, yet "God help" a person who interrupts her. Even when she "gives them an amount of time" at her discretion, she interrupts. And she is so very obviously racist. It show. There is no entertainment in watching that nasty old woman anymore. I truly believe we are judged later by how we treat people. I hope that hag reaps what she has sown before her final judgement day. Perhaps she will have to be tended to by someone holding a grudge for how they were treated by her. Get her off of tv. That is not entertainment. It is bullying.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I think it's time for Judge Judy to hang up her robe, and time for me to stop watching her show. I have noticed that over the years she has become much more intolerant and rude. I don't want to be part of her audience anymore. I'm over it.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I was Plaintiff on the show and it was the worst experience of my life! When contacted by producers, I was told how organized I was with all the evidence I had against my ex Landlord for harassment and I had a very strong case. Staff was absolutely wonderful to me up until our appearance. I gave them videos and stacks of paperwork as well as pictures and so on...I was told Judge Judy would receive my evidence in plenty of time to review before the show. We had to wait for a long time to even be escorted to a tiny "trailer" to wait for our appearance. We were supposed to have a tablet waiting for us to have a zoom briefing with the producer... After asking 4 times and waiting over an hour I finally used my cell phone for our zoom meeting.

We were also told lunch was provided but when asked, the producer had to get her supervisor involved as we were it wasn't for show guests. Also during that time I was informed that a of the evidence I had submitted never reached Judy and she was going in "blind" so be able to submit my evidence... Once in the courtroom, I was made to appear the "awful" tenant who refused to pay for damages caused or rent owed. I have an EXTREMELY strong and detailed harassment suit, hence the reason for delaying any of the final payment. I was NEVER ONCE given the opportunity to actually share my case and was told it was a "wash" and we were done...Judy supposedly had my complaint (edited and written by producers) but if she actually reviewed anything, she would have asked more questions. I lost and the defendant walked away getting away from bullying another family into moving out.

I was told afterward by producer, I told you to never agree with Judge Judy. So basically I was advised to "lie in court". Some of the questions asked were used to turn my case in the defendant's favor and again I reiterate that I was never given the opportunity to plead my case but was forced to sign an agreement stating that I cannot fight today's decision, which should have been a clue to walk away as every legal court hearing is allowed an appeal to a decision... But I was pumped up and convinced that my case was solid by staff that I didn't expect to be HUMILIATED PUBLICLY. I have never ever been made to feel so stupid and low in my life. This IS NOT A REAL COURT HEARING! This is an experience I wish I could forget.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I have been an avid viewer of Judge Judy for as long as her show has existed. I have to say it is mostly very entertaining. I have noted in the last 4 or 5 years Judge Judy seems to have let the show go to her head. WAYYY too much arrogance and attitude. For someone who has become a multi-multi millionaire from hearing the cases of the common folk, she has very little empathy or respect. I know that many of these litigants are sadly not very intelligent or sophisticated, but they are just people trying to live with the limited skills they may have. There is absolutely no need to humiliate and degrade them as human beings. In the times of great struggle that a majority of the population live in--Judge Judy should get a spiritual wake-up call, and try being a little more humble and appreciative of the fact that she was born into a family with a much different set of circumstances and opportunities than the majority of the rest of this world.

Just saying Judge Judy--try being a little more humble and less brutally critical in your review of everyone who appears before you--you do not know their life history or circumstances. It may not be the dramatic TV you would like, to keep you in that 50 million dollar salary, but you will be doing a better service to humanity than just producing high drama on TV.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I was a plaintiff witness on JJ in Feb. 2020. We were there for only a few hours, but it was an experience to remember! The staff were friendly and professional, especially Melanie and Makita. They probably had a dozen cases on their mind, but they made us feel like we were the only one. They were positive but realistic, they explained what kind of mindset to have, and they helped us briefly practice potential scenarios. They were very supportive, which was important considering the nature of the case. They also took great pains to keep the plaintiff's side separate from the defendant's until they met in court, and afterward they also did a great job keeping them separate. I can't speak from a defendant's point of view, but I feel JJ is great for a plaintiff, especially if it'll be hard to collect from a traditional judgment in small claims court.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I was the plainest and this was one of the worst experiences of my entire life. It's a very public embarrassment. I would never ever ever recommend this show to anybody. Not in a million years. This woman is he messed up since good person on the planet. I would not put my worst enemy through this. Actually I probably would.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Being a part of the Judge Judy Show was one of the experiences in life. I say this not because our case won but also the each one of the staff member that related with our case were all kind, friendly, and very informative. Our case were involved with my dog and my dog walker/friend that had attacked by unleashed, no collar Rottweiler running our of the wide open front door. Judge Judy had brought out the clear understanding of what had happened and also her way of addressing the issues were clear and direct. The episode that had aired had shared with great ending with our case. All I have to say is, "Thank you for a great opportunity for us to be a part of this show!"

Kind regards,

May and Hana

Original review: March 21, 2019

Judge Judy was an incredible experience for my boyfriend and I as we were handling a very sensitive issue that we wanted to put to rest. I had talked to Makita and Kessley, producers of the show, for months leading up to the taping date and they were nothing short of sweet, kind, understanding, and helpful. There is no one else I would have rather worked with, as they made the entire experience comfortable and easy. They accommodated our needs and concerns with respect and genuinity and that really helped take the nerves and fear of confronting the defendants away.

Being on the show was even more amazing. Arriving at the studio, the staff was wonderful at answering our questions and doing everything in their power to make us feel comfortable and prepared. Presenting our case to Judge Judy was surreal and we felt that she treated our case with respect, and made the best unbiased decisions considering the evidence and statements presented to her. She made sure that we were not taken advantage of by the defendants and that the world got to hear our truths. In the end, we were awarded the judgment we were suing for, and the staff did an amazing job and escorting us to our places and making sure we left their studio satisfied and happy. I would 100% recommend anyone who is presented this opportunity to take it and enjoy it. It’s totally worth it! Thank you Judge Judy!

Judge Judy Company Information