2.35/5
Based on 82 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

85 Judge Judy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

This show is a joke! Nothing but liars and sneaks. After all the hassle of going to the show and all the promises that were made by the producers about my case, I was degraded, humiliated and made to feel like nothing more than a low life after my landlord removed all of my belongings from my home while I was gone instead of taking the proper steps to enter my home. I was told by the Judge Judy show that the defendant admitted to packing all of my stuff and dumping it without any legal rights to do so and that I had a slam dunk case! Boy was I a fool!

When I got there they didn't want to see any of my paperwork, stated it wasn't necessary only to make a fool of me on TV. I couldn't even talk or stand up for myself! It was like they had already made a decision which was not the decision they told me it would be. I think the whole object of this show is to cause drama for ratings. I know one thing. I will never watch this show again and am going to refile my case in an actual court of law.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I had a pending small claims case. The TV production company mailed me a letter stating they would like to have the case heard on their show, that it would be considered arbitration, cannot be appealed, the case would be dropped at my local courthouse, I would be paid an appearance fee, expenses paid for, and they would cover the cost of any judgement made. It sounded good to me, other than the fact that it would be aired on TV no matter the outcome. In the week before the trip, the producers were emailing/calling/ texting me asking me to gather evidence, making me believe I have a fair case coming up, my voice would be heard etc.

Come to find out the entire case was scripted out before I even had a chance to submit evidence. The producers determine the outcome, and create a script for the judge. There is no justice here - they want you to believe you have a chance to present your evidence because they want you to be a willing participant for the TV show but in reality it's all fake. They demeaned me, called me names, and smeared my name all for a TV show. When in reality they did not even hear my side of the case or review evidence. They doctored my evidence to make it fit the other litigant's side, so that it would seem like a fair judgement for TV. It's appalling and I really do not understand how these shows are even legal. They are not to be trusted. Don't fall for the trap!!!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Do not go on here, it's all a game and lies. It's a set, nothing is real. This is arbitration and you're leaving your court case in someone's hand where she will pick and choose if she wants you to talk or even show evidence. My mother and son were contacted about a court case my mother filed in a county almost 2 hours from her house. Paid the fees to file as well. Judge Judy's team search the web for court cases and contact people. That's how they find you. Don't do it if they contact you, especially if it is a slam dunk case like my mom's. A 20 year old damaged my mom's jet ski. Tons of emails back and forth saying he will pay the ins deductible. He kept asking for extension month after month. Open shut case. Even the producers who contacted my mom said it was a slam dunk.

Well. Judy would hear pretty much anything. Blamed my mother for a 20 year old kid. Wouldn't look at evidence, pics, text messages, she told my son to hurry and tell the story. Very rude. But most importantly. The night before the fake court. Dylan the kid being sued got a script and what he is to say and he is to lie. Saying my son hit him. If he doesn't lie he is going home and has to pay for the trip. Dylan text my son immediately that night. To tell him. It all ended as Judy saying it is my mom's fault, and she got enough money for 2 totaled jet ski that she was not entitled to the deductible. This aired today Jan 30, 2019. DO NOT GO ON HERE. STICK WITH YOUR COURT CASE. WHY SCREW UP THE CHANCE ON LOSING IF SHE IS CRABBY AND DON'T CARE.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I too was contacted by the Judge Judy producers to be on their television program. My case was about a friend of my son's who had lived with us for a short period of time. When I went to sell my home I offered the older furniture from my basement to my son's friend. A time was set up for his friend to come and get the furniture. The friend got into my house on another day, taking upstairs furniture that I was keeping. He brought back the furniture when he was found out, but while taking the furniture he damage my couch and broke my china. It is true that everything is paid for and that both sides get paid. But the producers decide which way the case should go. Judge Judy was not the Judge. They edit for the show. I was really shocked. The audience is paid extras and the bailiff is just an actor. The fact that she made the case look stupid, along with me and my witnesses is something I will never forget.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was given the opportunity to go on the Judge Judy show and I had an amazing time. Everyone was really nice. They treated us all very very kind and was very pleasant to us. It was definitely something that I will never forget the whole experience and I really appreciated the experience. I'm looking forward to my signed autograph from Judge Judy. It was an amazing time. If given the opportunity definitely go for it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Judge Judy?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

My wife and I were involved in a tragic accident where our toy Yorkie of 12 years was attacked and killed on Thanksgiving day by a Pitbull. After learning that the state of California does not recognize pets the same way they do as humans, we realized that taking the Pitbull's owner to court was going to be too costly and not worth it in end. The Judge Judy show contacted us to see if we wanted to use their court as a means to settle the lawsuit.

At first, my wife and I were hesitant because we did not want to turn our tragedy into entertainment. However, after speaking with the show's producer, Kurstin Haynes, those fears quickly dissipated and a sense of security ensued. Throughout the whole onboarding process and day of filming, Kurstin could not have been any more understanding, caring, and attentive to our case. She was simply a joy to work with and we could feel that she was sympathetic the entire time. She followed up with us even after the case over! In addition, her staff was also top-notch in professionalism. The pain and suffering of our tragedy was eased because we got justice for our little doggie. We could not have done this without Kurstin, her staff, and Judge Judy. THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of our hearts.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I was in a situation where I was involved in an accident and the girl who hit me scammed me and try to leave me with the damages to pay myself. I should have called the cops but I didn't. I then decided to take her to court, and that was a challenge because she wasn't answering to the courts. Judge Judy picked up the case for me and the girl ended up responding to her show. We both ended up agreeing to go to the show to have our case solved. I was not too worried because I had all of my evidence as it was not my fault. They paid for the flight, the hotel, and the transportation. I luckily got to go on my birthday weekend, and I ended up renting a car so I can go sight seeing and they paid for my parking at the hotel in which I was not expecting at all.

The day of the show, they paid for lunch for us as well as dinner. We went into the court room to get things over with and Judge Judy was fair and quick. She looked at and listened to the both of our sides, I got a little lesson about not calling the police. She took a look at my evidence, listened to her side of the case, and ruled in my favor.

I just want to say thank you to her and the producers for allowing me to come to LA to do the show and get the money to pay back to the insurance company for something that was not my fault. Without them, who knows where I would have ended up being or if I would have even got the money or a trial considering how she didn't respond to the local courts. I was expecting a long fight with the girl and the court system but going to Judge Judy solved everything. I would definitely recommend going there if you have the chance to. They treat you like you're part of the family and make you feel welcomed. If I ever end up in a situation whereas I need to go to court, I would definitely try and reach out to them again. Thank you again to Kurstin and the rest of the producers and the legal team who works for Judge Judy and thank you to Judge Judy herself for taking my case and listening to both sides of the story and solving our issue.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have watched her show forever and was contacted by other judge shows as well. Hands down Judge Judy! Our experience was wonderful. The show is a well-oiled machine. I want to thank everyone behind the scenes for keeping me calm and under control. We were taken good care of from the beginning to the end! Judge Judy only cares about what’s right and who is wrong! Not about it being on TV so much. Just the facts! I would highly recommend being on her show. If you have a loser that you know can never pay you go with her! She will get to the truth. I would do it again if I had the chance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I received a call to appear on Judge Judy. Uuumm... NO WAY! I didn't have to read ANY reviews to say, HECK NO! Here's my beef... I've watched Judy for years! 20 plus. Over the years, I noticed how demeaning she's become. Talking about how much better her children are than the litigants' children, how stupid people are, etc, etc... and the list goes on and on. Including, she didn't go to Law School for a sweeper, baby bottle, (little items), etc.

WELL, MRS. JUDY, NOT ALL PEOPLE MAKE 50 MILLION A YEAR LIKE YOU DO! I value my small items as much as I value my large items, and if stolen, I WANT THEM BACK, NOT DISMISSED because Ms. Thang (Judy) can buy at will/leisure/pleasure and not make a dent in her pocketbook! I live check to check (like MOST Americans), something Judy CANNOT relate to! My parents didn't have the money to put me through Law School like yours did! I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth like you, and MOST Americans are just like me! A struggle day to day, check to check... Thanks, but NO THANKS for the offer! I'll appear before a REAL-FAIR-HONEST JUDGE who will actually LOOK, READ, and weigh ALL evidence in an unbiased manner! The judge I'm appearing before was a hard working farmer, put himself through Law School (not his parents), so my small items WILL matter to him, unlike you! Please retire!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was contacted by Judge Judy producers after turning in my case at my local courthouse. Evidently the producers scour courthouse cases and if they find one that seems interesting they contact you to be on the show INSTEAD of going to REAL court. The ONLY reasons I agreed to go on the show were because 1. I was absolutely in the right and guaranteed to win in REAL COURT... and 2. The show promised to pay what you were suing the defendant for in full upon winning your case instead of having to wait for payments from the person you were suing.

I had an open and shut case of theft of over $3000...but because I was in jail when the theft occurred Judge Judy decided before we could even state the facts that I was scum and that the lies told by the defendant were true because I was in jail when she spent ALL my disability money and brought my debit card balance to zero gambling on the Internet and getting cash advances to purchase drugs.

My being incarcerated had literally NOTHING to do with the case and yet that's all she talked to me about and focused on. I had proof and a witness that the defendant had admitted the theft. She said she thought she could put the money back before I came home and promised to pay me back in front of my witness who wasn't allowed to say a single word during the show. Judge Judy was demeaning and rude and never let me show my proof or let me defend myself against the defendants bold faced lies and direct libel. The show was not only unfair, it was humiliating. I lost my case before I even walked on stage just because Judge Judy is extremely biased and beyond judgmental. I was in jail because I hadn't completed my community service on time. I am not a hardened criminal.

However Judge Judy didn't care to hear that. She shut me down before I could explain myself, not that I should have had to because regardless of where I was or what I was doing the defendant robbed me of all my money and the majority of my belongings. It was an open and shut case that was ruled on unfairly and unjustly. If I had gone to REAL COURT justice would have prevailed and the defendant would have had to pay me back and be held accountable for blatantly breaking the law. Judge Judy is incompetent, rude and very very biased. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CASE TO HER SHOW!!! And by the way the show DID NOT pay for our hotel or gas or food and we were compensated in the amounts of $50 for me and $35 for my witness. It's a huge unfair waste of time and a joke overall.

Unfortunately the joke was harsh, unfair and completely on me. I wish I could sue Judge Judy for negligence...she did not care about truth or justice, she only wanted to be demeaning, get ratings and never even let me present the true facts and all my evidence, but allowed the defendant to speak freely and lie about what happened and who I am as a person. RIDICULOUSLY DISGUSTING DISPLAY OF POWER BEING MISUSED!!! I truly don't know how Judge Judy can look herself in the mirror or sleep at night. She is teaching thieves and liars that they can get away with breaking the law without punishment, and showing victims that there is no justice even when you have all the proof in the world and a credible witness that can back you.

Judge Judy Company Information