MSN
Based on 77 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

MSN

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 5, 2017

151 MSN Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 20, 2014

No matter how clean and having to do with the article the comments go with, my replies to other comments keep getting blocked.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I have not been able to use MSN for two weeks. Going to MSN Games is just a great big mess and this is the second time within one year with two different computers that this has happened. I have deleted the cookie, reset, deleting Active X, reinstalling and the same with Java. I now get to the second box but it just stay there… Microsoft can fix any other things or software with Mr. Fix it but not this MSN. I have never seen a company try so hard to run customers away from the protect. There is NOTHING and I do mean Nothing to make this system come back up that I can find and I was told by a friend that I might have to format the hard drive - this is crazy to the core. If anybody know how to get this system working again please let me know.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

I would like to add my name to the list of unhappy users of the new msn.com. Some of the other posters have already identified the many reasons this is a terrible piece of software. Please let us go back to the old page or I will not be using this junk. It is big and cumbersome, and as someone pointed out a giant delivery system for advertising. I cannot even get it to keep me signed in on my private home computer! This after I sign in and check the box that says "keep me signed in". Yahoo is looking very good, unless anyone has other alternatives. The new MSN.COM is one more crummy product from the evil empire. Please either fix it or replace it! I am unable to post this with zero stars so I give it 1 star.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

In September 2014 MSN made good on its threats of turning off my.msn.com and forwarding it to msn.com. At the same time MSN reformatted msn.com to become just one large page of advertisements and splash ads. The complete customization of my.msn.com is gone with very little choice on content and accessing any content requires multiple web pages and mouse actions. The new msn.com is designed to accomplish only one thing, generate revenue for msn.com due to selling ads and link revenue. Hopefully once MSN notes that that page hits drops and revenue drops they will return my.msn.com to active status without the extreme amount of advertising now found on MSN.com

Original review: Oct. 9, 2014

Who do you use for field testing these changes? Masochists?? Trying to change the location for a Weather report from what is automatically input to my actual location was unbelievably frustrating. So, I will probably switch to Google after a long relationship with MSN. Sorry!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

I have ever had more trouble finding things on MSN - on the new system than anything I've come across. I wish they had never touched it. If it ain't broke.... Don't fix it. Put it back like it was!!!!!!

Original review: July 17, 2014

My computer remembers my password and email and they won't let me in. All they want is a card. I've had that password for years and email now. They say I forgot it.

Original review: July 15, 2014

MSN stopped working may 8th. I called their help and support number and after 3 hours of repeating the same steps they told me I needed a cd to reload MSN Internet back on my computer. I was told it would take 7 to 10 days. I still had not received it by June 16th. MSN repeated told me it was ordered and I spoke with 3 supervisors and several others to find out where it was and they said maybe my post man stole it or someone took it from my mailbox. My mailbox goes directly into my house. I was told on June 16th that the payment they took would be refunded back to my account in 72 hours, instead they tried to take an additional payment on July 6th, I still had no cd to reload or service. I have made many phone calls trying to resolve this. It finally arrived July 12th. Now no at MSN is capable to install the software. Tech support says it's a billing and password issue and billing and password say it is a tech support issue. I have received 19 emails from MSN asking for details on my account and still no one can resolve this. They took my money and cannot provide service. All I've gotten are meaningless apologies and excuses. They take no responsibility for anything.

Original review: May 23, 2014

On April 6, 2014, I purchased a new ACER Aspire computer, with Win 8.1 installed, from our local Walmart store. On the same day, I emailed Microsoft Support asking for assistance in transferring email from my old MSN account to my new Outlook account. It is now 46 days later, 31 emails to Microsoft Support, 2 telephone calls, 2 chat sessions and a letter to their CEO Satya Nadella (who has not responded in about two weeks), all to no avail as I am where I started on 6 April. On top of all that, it appears that Microsoft may have blocked me from using their support website as I have been receiving the same message for the past 10 days -"Ummm...we seem to be experiencing technical difficulties, but we are working on a solution right now. Please try again later." It would take several more pages to explain the problems that are in the 31 emails, phone calls, chat sessions and in dealing with a sarcastic Microsoft representative. I need the old emails but at this point, am not sure if I will ever retrieve them. What a way to run a business. At this point, I am trying to see if Walmart will refund my money. I guess my next step is to contact the Washington State Attorney General and file a complaint against the Microsoft Corporation.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2014

"MSN has stopped working" message - I get this message several times a day sometimes after 10 minutes and other times after 2 hours more or less. No real pattern to this but it's very annoying. I've complained on their feedback page over and over for a month or so with the expected... no response. We've all heard people complain about Microsoft. Now I'm adding myself to that list and I've used MSN and other Microsoft products for over 2 decades. They could care less.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2014

Easy to see from other comments that MSN service is totally, fraudulent, inferior service. Believe it or not, I started with regular MSN and then was forced to switch to Premium about ten years ago. They just keep getting worse: Selling your ID to advertisers, aiding NSA in spying, transferring help desk calls to offshore countries where idiots that don't speak good English struggle with even the most fundamental issues. It's garbage. Time to change and get A real email program that protects privacy and has software that works. Stay away from the giants and seek out alternative companies.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2013

For the last few weeks, MSN pop-ups have been appearing at the bottom of our computer screen. I want them removed. I did not ask for them and they are very provocative. Please instruct me as to how to do this.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

Wed 9/11/13, got an automatic update from MS on computer overnight. Morning of Thursday 9/12/13, went into computer and all of my MS docs had been changed to MS Office - I couldn't open any of my hundreds of documents. Later that day, my computer all of a sudden showed MS doc icons and could open. Today, I spent all day on the phone (8 different people). I was to get a call back from Microsoft Word within 2 hours and have not. Have had MSN, MS, Norton and an MSN specialists tell me "it has to do with a glitch in the update they downloaded into my computer (and others)." I can not open any attachments with doc or docX - MSN has blocked them.

I can't open any attachments on any old emails from years back. I'm totally out of commission. The last MSN specialist uninstalled MS office 2010 and said MS needs to reinstall the software as the starter version 2010 was causing the issues and she removed that from my computer (remotely) and now I'm not able to open any documents. This is so infuriating and no recourse it seems. Just at MS beck & call. MSN has been nothing but problems for years. I've paid a lot of money for their services which are a total joke. Yes, I can change servers but that means changing my business docs, everything and all.

MSN and MS need to be held accountable for their crappy services. To have to call 8 people, get disconnected several times, and no one seems to know how to deal with any of this. I've lost business today due to this. Worst of all, I'm a bag of nerves, so angry and stressed and there seems to be no way to get satisfaction. MSN and MS are an empire and need to be crumbled - total lack of professionalism, etc.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2013

I recently logged into one of my secondary .msn accounts with the incorrect password. I then re-entered the correct password and was told that someone tried to access my account and it needed to be verified... Fine... I had the security code sent. After entering the code, it now says that since someone has tried to access my account, I must change my password. No one has tried to access my account but me. Called MSN explorer tech support and was given a case # and transferred to some stupid rude person. I proceeded to tell him my issue and told me it was nothing that he could do but change the password.

Why should I change my password when nothing of malice has occurred?? He then lied and said that since the security upgrade, everyone would have to change their password eventually. I then stated I have 5 MSN accounts and was not asked to change any passwords on those accounts including my primary. I then asked where I could obtain this information of changing of password or if he could email me the update. I mentioned the only email I've received about the email changes is you would need to sign into each attached account manually versus automatically as in the past. It did not mention changing of passwords. When I mentioned that I had been a customer for over 10 years. His reply, "GOOD FOR YOU"! Very unprofessional, rude, and clueless.

Needless to say when I asked for the proof and called him on his lies, he hung up after I waited on hold for 20 min. to have my issue resolved. These people obviously have no clue of their jobs. Maybe if they would route the calls to the contact centers in your respective country it would be a little better as I am sure that no one at this place receives diversity or sensitive training. You pay your money to MSN for what? This is one of the reasons Google has surpassed them in the email arena. I hope they continue on with their success and surpass them on any other software/hardware functions as well. They SUCK!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2013

As of 8-5-13, not able to access our email. MSN claims someone else is trying to use it. I spent over 2 hrs on the phone with people that I couldn't understand. I was hung up on, transferred, and given other numbers to call that led to nowhere. I finally got a hold of one person that seemed to be very helpful and was issued a ticket # and was advised that I needed to set up another email address for contact. Still no contact!!! I used the "guidelines" online and got nowhere. It was asking questions like, people's email addresses that I have sent, subjects, folders I had created...

This is a scam and MSN needs to take care of this!!! Apparently because this is a "free" account MSN doesn't care. Oh another question that the online form was asking was for "any other passwords that I have used in the past"... Now I just want to delete this account and not have anything more to do with MSN. I just don't know how to take care of this and get the account accessible so I can just delete it. Please investigate.

Original review: July 11, 2013

I thought MSN was a free service. Why is MSN allowed to ripoff their customers? Both me and my son have had our email accounts halted, and when we phoned them to resolve the matter, they said for a one-time payment of $66, they will correct it. When I said no, it's a free service, they then put the phone down. I then phoned the UK Tech Support Team to complain about them, and they, too, ripped me off by keeping me on the phone for 18 minutes, which was costing me $1.53 per minute. When I started to demand to talk to someone higher, they, too, then put the phone down on me.

I feel, for a free service, this shouldn't be allowed. I've had read on the forums, and it seems I'm not the only one. To me, it's wrong that they have the control to do this to their customers, and I think something should be done about it. I did send a message to Martin ** and his team to look into it, but I know he's a busy man so probably won't get around to it; hence, why I have signed up to this site.

Original review: June 12, 2013

I don't understand why MSN posts to the entire world so many non-sense news. It's insulting to those of us who look for something that is good - community goals reached, elderly people who gave their youth to communities, students who've reached goals that marked their family, friends and community, those who do good unto others, topics that will encourage good behavior to our world today. We are tired of the gossip, hypocrisy, lies, drama, stars that do the dumbest things that doesn't matter, negativity of all kinds, dress codes that degrade people. Oh my! It just doesn't stop. Enough is enough. I think you need reporters that have a vision of goodness, living clean, positive, outgoing, excellent co-workers who do good unto others, so they will be able to write something that comes within and not go along with trends of this world. Thank you.

Original review: May 22, 2013

Why do I have to know about Kim Kardashian's mouth? Don't you have real news, something worthy of being printed, be it online or on paper? How many pregnant women are there in the world and what makes this one person so interesting to you? Just money, I'm sure. Please get back to real news and real people or call yourself TMZ or Extra. Some of us really want to know the news, not the crap. Thank you for the actual stories you do cover.

Original review: May 13, 2013

I had dial-up service through MSN. Finally got broadband in our area. I called to cancel MSN. They offered multiple emails with antivirus. A year later, I got a virus in my email that was very severe. I messaged them and they locked me out of my account but continued to bill me. Since then I have been unable to get a person on the phone to cancel the billing. It took me 3 years to finally get through. They claimed there is no account associated to that email address. Well duh, you locked me out! They wouldn't cancel because I can't remember the phone number associated with the account. But I have all the rest of the billing info. Now they will finally cancel it and will refund me $10.50 because of it not being used. What about the last 3 years of non-use? I was locked out! Do not do business with these idiot crooks.

Original review: May 9, 2013

Libya Embassy Attack - Why do you not cover this? Failure to do so is not acting as an independent news organization. All I see is fluff. When will you get to some real reporting? I have to go to FOX to get any real reporting. By the way, they allow both sides to present their views. Yes, they do lean right, but at least they show both sides.

Original review: March 26, 2013

I paid MSN for the premium email package that was supposed to protect from advertisements! Why are there naked fat people showing up under my folder side bar representing some type of advertisement? How disgusting!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

My Grandma has been billed for Web TV and has not had a box since 2004. I saw her bank statement a few years back, asked her about it and she said she didn't want to talk about it. She has had some health problems and my Uncle took over her affairs. He told me about the billing and I was shocked to see it on her BofA statement years later. We have tried to cancel the $21.95 charge and MSN said they needed the email address to pull up billing. We asked BofA if they could help cancel it and no luck there.

Today, I called the number from the debit card statement and they had two options - Press 1 for Windows support or 2 for Xbox. No billing, no anything. I pressed 1 for Windows and got a young woman who told me, "We have nothing to do with billing. Hold please, and I will transfer you to someone who can help." Ten minutes or so later she said she found the department and she would transfer me. Another few minutes later and I got the "billing department." Another 20 something girl told me she had no idea why anyone would send her a call for a billing dispute and gave me the original telephone number I called.

I was so frustrated at that time I asked for the corporate office number. She gave it to me and told me to talk to the operator and she would find someone for me to talk to. About 5 minutes later I called the corporate office and asked for the operator. Three times it disconnected me; just hung up. Did they blacklist my Grandma's number? I will call from my house later and see. Bill has probably made enough money from her to hang gold thread drapes in that mansion of his. She's sick and could use this money many other ways. I now understand why she didn't want to talk about it.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I have had my Hotmail account for over 20 years. I recently signed out and could not remember the password. It has been 3 days and I have received no help in getting back in. I have jumped through all of their hoops and have even called and been assured that they would escalate my problem. The issue is that the people did not even report the right problems, gave me the wrong case numbers, hung up on me, do not know how to transfer calls and have no customer service whatsoever. I believe that the company needs to be shut down and one that is reputable needs to be established in its place. It should not take 3 days to simply reset a password. I have given a 1 star rating as it will not allow me to give any lower than that. I have now missed two possible job opportunities as the needed information is in my e-mail and MSN reports that there is nothing that they can do. I should simply continue to wait until their computer techs get to my issue and then they will let me know!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2012

I tried to log in to my MSN email account and received the message "Your account has been temporarily blocked". There are no options to speak with or contact anyone regarding my email account being blocked. There are no options for a chat window or email contact info to communicate with a representative. I have filed an FCC complaint against MSN since all my business and account holders communicate with me via email.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2012

I was billed for $18.95 twice in the same day for an account I don’t have. They refused to give back my money because it was a fraud case. They refused to give me any information on the case so I could press charges on who did it. Do not deal with these people.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2012

For years, I have paid for Premium Choice service for my MSN email account. MSN Mail recently disappeared and I now use Hotmail. I can't get support because the automated phone system insists I don't have premium support because they claim not to have a phone # associated with the account, so I am not eligible for premium support. I pay them $10.82 a month for this nonexistent service. I started with them when I had an associated phone # because the service was dial up. For years now, I have been on cable, but can't get this through to support. Your service should be called non-support customer service. It's awful.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

Hotmail blocked my account, requiring that I enter my password. It has been at least 6 years since I used the password and of course, I have no record of it. When I entered "reset" including the creation of a secondary account, the entire request kept flipping back to me. Repeated phone calls to Help services were of no use. I understand the need for security, but Microsoft makes the process so error prone that it is nearly useless. The programmers in Redmond need to understand that what may seem efficient to them, in actuality, does not work. I have read numerous complaints regarding their service. So much technical support work is outsourced that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2012

I have had two Hotmail accounts for many years, perhaps a dozen years or more. Not anymore. Now, they have a new Hotmail version and are locking everyone out of their own email because of extensive security breaches. I will not be going back. The first one got hijacked and the rogues who took it were sending out emails as if from me to all my contacts with a viral infection included. I had to close the freaking account to stop it. The second account has just now been blocked by MSN and try as I might, they won't recognize me and let me recover my own account, saying it appears that someone else is accessing it.

Maybe someone is, as I lost the first account that way. Half the account recovery questions were asinine and I could not recall some specific answers. After spending much time trying to fill in the recovery form, the form reset twice and the information was lost because the site could not be accessed. It was down for maintenance for extended periods intermittently.

Only the real user (me) would spend so much time trying to recover the account and yet they failed to recognize this. I even put in my security queues correctly as my daughter's middle name, but this and some other sure answers were not enough for them. There is no other way to contact them and no room on the form to comment or ask questions. Microsoft sucks. I give up and will never again use Hotmail.com or Internet explorer and Windows. I recently tried free Linux OS with Ubuntu and Gmail with Firefox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2012

I have tried unsuccessfully numerous times to disconnect the incoming MSN junk email for my ex-husband who died in July 2011. Every time I go into his mailbox, there are hundreds of junk emails. There isn't anyone to call because he doesn't have a paid account. Help! Stop! This can't continue!

Original review: June 24, 2012

I bought a disc for a game called "Dream Day First Home.” My computer was in for repair and he had to take the games out of my computer. I was able to re-install all the other games that I purchased from other companies. My disc for MSN Games says that I have to pay for it again. I bought the stinking disc. I should not have to buy the game again! I should be able to download from the disc.

MSN Company Information