2.18/5
Based on 44 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

44 Google Fiber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

When I first moved to an area where Google Fiber was, I was excited. I purchased the $50/100 mbps/sec. It was great at first. But in the past 6 months is has dropped off a LOT. Aside from the wifi router taking forever to connect to ANY and EVERY device, the connection itself would say it was full bars, but the actual performance was more like one bar. I'm a gamer, so this was a huge disappointment. If they can’t get it fixed soon, I will be changing service to a different provider.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

11 month user. DO NOT BUY this product for 3 reasons: 1. Afternoon/Evening streaming and downloading is slower than 100 year old TURTLE. 2. Remote working not possible, data dumps have lasted 6 HOURS. Should have been couple of minutes. 3. Buffering still exists. For those who enjoy long naps or experience insomnia turn on the TV to see the following sleep assistance screen.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Honestly this is the fastest internet I've ever had at the cheapest price. The technician came in and was professional. He also cleaned up my cable that was hanging out of window that Spectrum wouldn't fix. To the reviews about the service area and the emails regarding their equipment. Those emails are sent out automatically from a computer so you don't get charged for the equipment. They aren't malicious, they could not send them and charge you later. Also, they cannot help the areas they don't cover yet. They are expanding but it takes a lot of time. I would recommend Google Fiber over anyone and I've had them all. This has been THE ONLY ONE TO DELIVER THE SPEED THEY PROMISE, and at the cheapest price available. I downloaded an entire game off steam in 3 minutes.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I moved from Raytown MO to Independence MO. And I honestly would have stayed to them but THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE THERE. You would think I DID SOMETHING WRONG BY MOVING out of an area they don't cover. I get these ominous emails reminding me if I don't return their equipment I will be billed. I get that but I still have two weeks. I am not close to late. We returned it today despite that because they seem too unprofessional to even challenge mildly by keeping it longer. They were okay but nothing to be that arrogant about. Plus this lady on the phone said they plan on billing us another month than refunding it... What? They really are the definition of squirrelly. Can't believe I am suggesting this but stick with AT&T.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Google Fiber is the worst when it comes to customer service, billing and internet services. Every day a few times a day the storage box blackouts out and TV and internet goes down. Way too many issues to say here but the main one is that they will go in your account and charge a card that is not set up as primary or backup. They will tell that they do not change it but they do. I took screenshots before and after that showed a particular card not set as primary or backup but then charged $180 on the next billing and all of a sudden it showed it as "primary."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I work from home often as the director of a nonprofit and depend on reliable Internet experience. I came home yesterday to discover our internet was not working. We tried all of the quick fixes and we were informed the soonest a tech could come was in one week. However, they suggested I call the next morning to see if there were cancellations. I called in the morning - everything was backed up and the customer service person told me to continue to call. I continued to call and then was told to stop inquiring. You only receive one opportunity to try and receive a cancelled time slot. There is no queue to cue your request is handled when received.

My next step is to find another provider. This has been extremely frustrating. I have an event for my work that I will need to manage at Panera or another location to receive Internet. Frustrated. Very poor service and very poor system for the top tech company in the world. BTW I shared the urgency of my situation but it does not matter beyond an apology for my inconvenience. They will credit me for the time lost on my next bill but it does not solve my problem.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Turned in my equipment and canceled service prior to billing and was still billed for the next month. Told by supervisors no way to refund until after the next month's billing cycle begins. Be careful, they require a card on file for automatic billing.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My apartment complex provides the basic service included with rent. I just moved here and immediately called Google Fiber to set up the service. I made it clear to the woman setting up the account that I just wanted the service that the apartment provides at this time, if need be I would upgrade later. They still require a credit card on file, which I found odd, but figured hey maybe it's for verification of person/address?

A week later I saw that she (or someone else) enrolled me in the program two steps above what the basic is. I immediately called. The gentleman said that he would be happy to move me back to basic. I asked if I would be charged for anything, he said he would have to see what it would be from the start of my service until now. I informed him he could go over the recordings of my initial set up call to see this shouldn't have even happened, 20 minutes later he appreciated my patience and said he saw in the notes that I had requested basic and somehow was placed in Fiber 1000 and he was contacting another department to see if he could stop my card from being charged or not.

I honestly do not know if this was a genuine mistake or a scam for them to try to make money and show that a certain service is better so they can keep people on it. My concern is that I have to call back before the next billing to make sure I am not charged then (as he stated) and that over the time I was on the phone with him he repeated told me what a change I would see in my internet service by going down to basic. I'm thankful for the time (35 minutes) the rep took in investigating and trying to sort things out. I'm just highly disappointed that this occurred and the fact that I have to call back before the next billing to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

To say it nicely, Google Fiber is possibly the biggest joke of a company I have ever dealt with. 2 weeks before moving in we were told our new apartment was google fiber ready, our tech just needed to finalize it. When our tech came out we were told that he wasn't able to complete the job because the wires were ripped out by the previous owners and it would take an engineer. We were told an engineer would reach out in the next 24 hours to schedule a time... Well an entire week goes by, and at this point we have called everyday. FINALLY, someone schedules an appointment for the following day at 10:40a. Due to both of us working, my mother had to miss work to meet the person there. Well guess who never showed up. GOOGLE FIBER. We didn't even receive a phone call.

After talking to a supervisor I was told the rep scheduled the appointment w/ us even though he knew this wasn't an available time slot. HUH?! The supervisor advised me they would call me everyday to let me know when an available engineer would be out. I forwarded this to my management company, who then reached out to Google Fiber. THEY TOLD HIM IT WAS WIRED AND READY TO GO, AND JUST NEEDED A TECH. You can't make this up. Every person had a different story. This place is a joke. P.S. we still don't have WI-FI or an appointment to get it fixed.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My boyfriend has been waiting 2 weeks for Google Fiber to be installed. The wires and everything else are all set up. He was supposed to have it today and the technician called out due to an emergency 10 minutes before they were supposed to be set it up. We are supposed to be moving into the new house within 2 weeks and wanted everything set up. He's not happy right now and has to wait longer, but will most likely wind up canceling. Just because it's Father's Day doesn't mean you can't find someone to come out. I'm also not happy and this is very poor customer service. I understand things happen, but this is why you find a backup. This shouldn't happen to anyone especially when they've been waiting this long and at the last minute.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The service is not good at all. Very intermittent and slow. Customer service is the worst. I was charged after my account was canceled and still haven't received a refund. I have contacted Google Fiber 3 times and always given a different answer and no refund yet! The customer service rep I contacted today was rude and condescending and basically told me I just had to wait! I am sure what you are doing is illegal, and very offensive. You cannot just take your customer's money, without authorization, and give it back whenever you want to, just because you are Google. Stop taking advantage of people with your poor service, bad customer service, and shady billing practices.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews before switching companies. My speeds are much slower than Spectrum. My ethernet service worked about a month then stopped. I called in to report problem. Cust service rep on phone had me on a ladder checking my box. I'm a 63 years old female that was not happy and told the rep that then he scheduled someone to come to the house. Very rude tech came to my house and I asked him to leave. Supervisor came. He was very nice and fixed the problem but it only stayed fixed for 2 days. Called cust service today because even the WiFi keeps cutting off and was told that my speeds are slow because the box is in my laundry room and not near my laptop. I still can't use ethernet. I am going to another company. This has been horrible. I'm not an IT tech and don't plan to be.

Original review: May 13, 2018

We love our Google Fiber service! It has been very reliable and fast for us. We have both wi-fi and ethernet connections through our router, and both work very well. Our security company loves that we have Google Fiber as our ISP, as their software and security cameras work excellently with the system. 5 Stars! :-)

Original review: April 24, 2018

I used to be on Spectrum 50Mbps before and then switched to Google Fiber because it was a cheaper option than Spectrum for their internet only package. From day 1 after switching over, I realized that the speeds didn't match up at with the 100Mbps I was paying for. Speed tests all came within range 93Mbps but when downloading or streaming actual content, it was probably closer to 25Mbps from my experience. I am in IT and I work in networking so I gathered all my data before reaching out to their horrible customer service to complain. One tech even asked me how old my computer was. Like really? Anyway back to the story. There is a 3 Gb file I download for editing every month which used to take me about 3 minutes with my Spectrum connection. Now with a 100Mbps connection, this takes about 11 minutes. My connection is simple. Google Fiber => Ethernet cable=>Computer (I tried it with 3 ). 1 PC and 2 Macs. Same result.

Eventually, I got fed up and upgraded to a 1Gbps connection. That was the last straw. I logged into one or my client's offices with a 200Mbps with a Verizon Fios connection and started the download side by side with my Google 1Gbps connection. Guess which one finished first. The 200Mbps connection. Both tests were performed on the East Coast. Enough ranting. Please stay away from Google Fiber if you are upgrading from another provider. Your service is probably much better. Take my word for it.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Lies!!! I contacted you Google Fiber customer service today and I must say that they have by far some of the rudest representatives and “customer service managers” in their line of business! I was continuously interrupted in addition to being addressed in an aggressive manner! I signed up for service and made a deposit about 4 years ago only to have the service installed this past year prior to being forced to relocate after 6 months of service and now being told I owe for construction because I didn’t keep the service for a year when my neighbors directly across from me have had the service since they moved in 2 years ago. I will most definitely refrain from ever doing business with this company again as well as spread the word! #dissatisfiedcustomer #googlefiber.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Google Fiber ordering and installation process. 12/29/17 - I contacted Google Fiber to request installation. 12/29/17 - I received a "thank you" for signing up for... 12/29/17 - I received a PIN for my upcoming account. 1/9/18 - I received an email asking that I log on to the Google Fiber web page and request an installation time. 1/11/18 - I requested 1/16/18, 2:20 pm installation time (outside crew already ran a fiber to my house). 1/15/18 - I received an email reminder of my scheduled installation (next day).

1/16/18 - I received a phone call from the installer stating that he was on the way... (2:10 PM). 1/16/18 - 2:19 PM: the installer rang my doorbell. 1/16/18 - Joseph ** (my installer) completed the physical install and completed the transfer of my internet-connected devices to the new network (and explained everything and answered every question). Note: This guy knew his stuff, was patient and was VERY competent. Final: For $10 less, I get 97 Meg down and 95 meg upload. (versus Spectrum 55 down and 5.5 up). I am thrilled.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I understand Google Fiber is new to San Antonio...but I don't see why I have to keep hounding and waiting to get service?! I signed up late November. Weeks went by and they never called to schedule an installation appointment. Why do you start advertising, if you are not ready to provide service? I called mid-December to see what's going on. They said there was a network interface problem in my area that was now resolved. I never received a courtesy call from them. I waited another month for installation. They never called to confirm my appointment for today's installation. Again, I had to call them the day before.

Then finally today is my scheduled appointment. Only for them to call and reschedule my appointment due to inclement weather in my area. Their earliest appointment was for February 13th. I work from home, so I desperately needed internet. They were not accommodating at all and they didn't care if I had to wait another month. These are red flags that my experience with Google Fiber will not be satisfactory. Google Fiber...you can take your business elsewhere. I'm done with you!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Google Fiber needs to extend coverage to the entire city but I don't know when that will happen as I heard they lost their grant funding. I'm not sure how much longer we'll have Google Fiber now. And they could lower their prices on cable. WiFi is GREAT!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Google Fiber is extremely high! I pay $180.00 a month and only get a few regular channels and one movie channel. Plus they have problems. Your TV will not work for 45mins - 60mins and you may not get credit for that unless you call. My service went out a few weeks ago because someone in my area TV went out. I do not like Google Fiber and would not recommend anyone to get it. Also depending on your area you get free Google Fiber. They only have 3 plans to choose from. I was paying $223.00 a month for all regular channels and one movie channel plus internet. I am definitely switching.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Even if you pay for the 1000 Mbps down it's still ** at best. It'll constantly buffer even if it's just you on the internet. The customer service is absolutely horrible. They don't help and act like it's not their problem. I've never been so dissatisfied with an ISP in my life.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Google wasted 20+ man hours, 5+ hours of my time, dug up my yard and just took everything back since customer service wouldn't try at all to remedy the internet not getting close to what was paid for. Lengthy disorganized process that's not worth it. They left me a notice on my door that fiber was now available and I live half a block from the Nashville fiber up. Yet they didn't come to actually lay the line from the street to my house until 2 months later. They dig up a good chunk of my yard, just put hay over it, and woke me up by drilling into my house.

I then scheduled the remaining install for 4 more days out, they took 3 hours to set it up. But then couldn't get the 100mbps over 42 mbps. They said they could get it closer to 100 if the service was upgraded to 1gbps, but customer service said they'd need to charge me more and I declined, they then just said sorry and left. It would've cost them nothing to boost the speed, but they wouldn't and the techs were even surprised by the customer service response. I love Google but this experience was disorganized, wasteful and damaged my yard for nothing. I don't recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Google service has been poor. Very poor reception. Was told it was a satellite issue too far from the sun. They've taken away channels - put them into another tier to have to pay additional for. Up'd our service fee $20 more a month. TV very pixelated. Internet weaker and weaker. Dissatisfied overall. Won't recommend.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I cancelled my account on 10/1/17 and returned my equipment 10/6/17. On 10/13/17 I was charged $167. I called and was told I needed to wait 30 days for a refund? They fraudulently took my money and is making me wait to get it back. Horrible! Last person I spoke to was Shaun in Boise ID.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Absolutely the worst customer service I have experienced. After signing a lease on an apartment in Austin because they had Google Fiber available, we quickly discovered they did not have service and each car was met with ineptness and attitude. They continue to promise service and three months later, a technician came and said, "oh it was simply not plugged in" and I closet. They had promised credit on my account and then when trying to apply it, they said they could not and would not do it. Do not use this service, they are the most unprofessional group of people I've ever worked with.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Excellent service. No contracts. Lowest prices by far. Very highly recommended. No nonsense, no junk mail or email from the company. Great reception everywhere.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I called on July 6th and set up installation for July 15th. My 80 year old father was moving and needed phone and tv service and unfortunately we were told the apartment was only set up for Google Fiber. July 15th came and the tech said he could not do anything because it had not been wired yet. So I had to call another guy who luckily was able to come out the next morning. He then did what was needed and said now we needed to call back and schedule installation once again. I called and spoke to a supervisor to explain what we have been through already and spoke with Brandon in Austin... not sure he told me his correct name. He said he could not help us at this time... I would need to wait and call back on Monday. He said then we would have to wait until at least Wednesday and that would be the earliest appointment because it's 1st come 1st serve appointments.

I'm not understanding why we wouldn't be a priority when I scheduled our appointment back on July 6th. He was very rude and reluctant to do anything to help. Meanwhile my father has to sit in his apartment with no phone and tv. This guy named Brandon then informed me that I would have no one to complain to because the call would come to him... so he wasn't really worried about me being so upset. I would advise against anyone thinking of using this company... if I had to do it again I would not have my father living in a place that only has Google Fiber as service. I can only hope Brandon in Austin will someday be treated with the same courtesy he gave us. I will send a letter about this young man in hopes eventually it will reach the right person. No one with that attitude should be in a supervisor position.

Original review: June 9, 2017

There have been a few times when I lacked a good strong signal and the call dropped. But everything else has been stellar! Great, reliable service. I've come to trust Google Fiber for my cellular service.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I called in for an explanation on my services in which I spoke with Josiah in Boise. Josiah was very rude and seemed to be irritated from the amount of calls he has taken today. I informed Josiah's supervisor of his actions in which he tried to justify his behavior. I quickly informed Alex the supervisor that I too have worked in a call center and how Josiah should have responded to a paying customer. Alex then said he will turn this into a coaching opportunity. Needless to say Alex showed no empathy towards Josiah's behavior and treated me as if his behavior was valid. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: May 22, 2017

I went to Google Fiber store to get account set up. After a hour at the store and having multiple personnel trying to get me signed up, manager stated it would be handled as we were sent out and could try to sign in the following day. It has now been 10 days later, numerous phone calls and store visits and still do not have internet service or account started. Each customer service person at Google Fiber assures me their IT team is working on the problem and will advise me of the status and when it is fixed. I have not received a phone yet from Google Fiber advising me of the status of the problem or when that magical day will come when I will have internet service.

Original review: May 10, 2017

My apartments recently signed on with Fiber and all we had to do was pay 10 dollars and were promised free service for 10 years. Sounds great right? Actually I was shocked because at first it was great and I couldn't believe it. I work from home for a bank and am required to plug my phone into one Ethernet jack and my computer into another. No problem for about a year. It makes the rent at my apt totally more attractive considering it comes with internet. The problem is when you move. I called them to tell them I was moving and If never would have everything would be fine. I took my network box over to the new apartment (same complex and literally right next door) and everything worked great for about 3 days.

The cutoff date came and the internet stopped working. I am freaking out because I work from home and only have a few hours of sick time left for the year. I call and their customer service is a joke. They have no answer for anything and every time I called back I had to repeat my old and new address to the point where I knew that the agents weren't even looking at the account history. I'm not even gonna go into that cause it's not even the real issue. After all the crap service on the phone I was advised to go to the store. When I got there with my network box they took it and said, "We are replacing them with a "mini" network box." IT ONLY HAS ONE ETHERNET JACK. So I find a switch on Amazon for 10 bucks which actually did the trick to my surprise. Now that everything has been going good for about a week now THE FREAKING WIFI WON'T CONNECT.

Lucky I have Spectrum this entire month as well because I can't screw around with my job, but it looks like I am going to have to keep it. I am paying an extra 70 dollars a month for my new unit simply because it has a washer/dryer, but now I have to pay for internet service too. I am a single dad and pretty pissed to say the least. I should have just stayed at my old unit and used the damn laundromat. It feels like they got us happy with the service to make themselves look good and then when something happens they are like oh here is your new POS network box that saves us lots of money and barely even works for you.

Google Fiber Company Information