3.5/5 (171 ratings)

About Google Fiber

Google Fiber Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?

Original review: June 3, 2022

I have been a Google Fiber customer for more than 2 years. When I signed up they mentioned "giving" the two wifi mesh routers as part of signing up. When I cancelled my service this month, I was informed these were just loaned to me and would have to return them. The support person, Ben, said this is "the policy" and all ISPs do this. This is one of the reason I thought Google was different. Other companies are at least upfront about loaning you the router and inform you if they are going to change the monthly rental fee. If the installation guy, the account person, or anyone told me that these were loaned to me, I would not have sold my other router. Google and its staff should be more upfront about the what is actually given to you in their service and not loaned.

Original review: May 19, 2022

After repeated requests prior to exterior installation to call and schedule a time to discuss the install before starting, and multiple promises that would happen from the Google customer service representatives, the installer showed up and installed the exterior connection in an incorrect spot damaging the exterior of my home in the process. After 3 months of repeated calls, conversations, and promises not one person has ever called me back to try to address the issue and I still have property damage caused by Google Fiber and no internet service from them.

At this point, I have requested they simply close the account and I will figure out how to remove the exterior connection and repair the damage myself to not have to deal with them again. The one thing Google Fiber should be proud of is accomplishing something I never thought anyone would be able to do and that is make me glad I'm a Comcast customer because their customer service is somehow better than Google Fiber's.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Google Fiber will not follow through with construction problems. Been months, calls, they even came and took photos only to not address the bare spots and damage to my lawn. They sure didn't have any issues coming on to my pro.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Google came to install Google Fiber. To make it easy I drilled a hole to show where the install should be made. Instead, they trenched at least 12 feet past the point of entry. Instead of correcting it they put a box on my stucco wall 12 feet away from the hole I had drilled. Then, to make matters worse, they ran a black cable 4 feet above the ground for 12 feet. They put even more screws into my stucco with no waterproofing. Now 7 months later my stucco is damaged and looks like hell.

I have called Google 4 times and each time I've been promised I would get a call within 6 business days. The first call was more than 4 months ago and I have not had a single call from anyone to fix it, despite my repeated attempts to do so. It is a horror show on the install side for Google and has ruined (at least for me) the stellar reputation google has enjoyed n the market. All in, it horrible, very bad, terrible and awful experience!

Original review: April 20, 2022

I have been using Google Fiber for a couple of years after having years of problems with other services; they are now the worst for customer service. To start, they hired a business called ECC to install the fiber lines. This company came through and ripped up anything in the way, including other companies' fiber lines and everyone’s irrigation lines. They literally did not care about any damage they caused because Google just threw money at the problem; but not to the residents, just other businesses to fix the problems.

It didn’t end there. Several years later and that same ECC is back doing it again. In the last month, our service has been interrupted 4 times. It takes them a day to fix it, but this time they did not get service restored and had to send out two different technicians to fix it, so far. Keep in mind this has been during the pandemic. I have had to take off 3 days of work now due to no internet. When I asked for a month's service paid for as compensation, they refused. Instead, they give $2 or $3 dollars for each time.

Google, a multi-billion dollar business, can’t compensate their customers with a month of free service due to outages caused by the contractors they hired! This isn’t after one or two times. This is now the fourth time in a month this has happened. I’ve been using their service for a over two years. I’m not a new customer trying to get something for free. I have had to use my paid time off when these outages occur. The customer representative I worked with last night was very polite and professional. I did not lose my cool or berate her for the company’s policies, but it is sad when their own representative can clearly realize how wrong they are treating their customers.

The internet service itself is actually pretty good. I would even say based on the quality of the product, when it is not being interrupted by their own contractors, they are the better provider in our area. But their own corporate greed is negating the positives of their service. Other internet service providers in our area were not as fast and had issues with keeping the service up too. They at least had customer service and compensation policies worth dealing with when there were issues. Google needs to realize they are losing customers. Based off the reviews I’ve read here, it’s pretty clear they don’t care much for being in the service industry. I would not recommend using Google Fiber. If you are considering switching to it for the higher speed, I cannot justify it due to the manner in which they treat their customers and their greed.

Original review: April 18, 2022

When Google changed out our network devices because they are getting out of the TV business, they changed my IP address without asking if I had any other devices connected with the address which caused my security systems to become disconnected. Their tech had no idea how to change the IP address back to the original address. I had to pay $450 to my security tech to come out and change it back. Google claims zero responsibility for this change and of course would not pay the $450.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Google Fiber is impossible to deal with. I canceled my account months ago and they are still billing me. Their customer service is terrible, nothing gets resolved. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Also, the connection speed is not that great, xfinity is better.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I was excited to hear that Google Fiber was coming to my neighborhood a year ago but it’s been the WORST internet experience of my life. I lose connection constantly - they take 3-4 days to resolve the issue when I do and their “customer service” reps when I have to call are miserable. Save yourself the trouble. I just cancelled my account.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

When Google Fiber was first offered in my area a sales rep came by and talked about how much better they were and the cost was only $60/month with everything included, one price without all the taxes etc so I signed up. I had three different people come to the house to put in the box, connect etc. It was good I was off on the days they came because my yard is fenced and locked. So it took awhile to let them in etc. I was told by the last person that came it was ready and someone from Google Fiber would call to arrange the final install. I never heard anything so I called and was told the last installer had to complete their portion before they could send the final installer out. I explained they had already come by and said I was ready but they refused to do anything because that person hadn't checked the final box. I was furious and sent them messages etc but to no avail, no answer so I continued with Comcast.

Then, about 5 months later a sales rep came to my door and I explained what had happened. A final install date was completed and I was hooked up. THEN, less than a week from when they installed it and I had taken a Friday off to do my taxes and pay bills within a hour or so that morning it suddenly stopped working. I called customer service and there was a recorded message it was out of service and they were working on it. In the past with Comcast if there was an outage within an hour or so they would get it fixed. On the day I had taken off it still was not on by the time I went to bed. Totally screwed my whole day up and now I've got to find time to do what could have been done when I took the day off from work.

I can't tell any difference from when I had Comcast except Comcast was never down for a very long time. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!! Wish I'd stayed with Comcast. When Google Fiber first contacted me the cost was $60/month and now it's up to $70/month and I'm sure will keep climbing. Once it hits what I was paying with Comcast I'll go back. The main reason I changed was it was $30 less expensive a month and the salesperson talked about how great Google Fiber was. No difference. It was better to pay more and get service than to pay for something I can't depend on.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Google Fiber came out in September 2021 and laid fiber optic cable in front of my house, tearing up my lawn in the process. They laid seed down afterwards but it didn't take. I dealt with that because the construction meant that I was going to be able to get Google Fiber. Now, months later, I am being told that my house is the only house on the street that can't get Google Fiber because they "cannot design cables for this system and crews have found this house not serviceable" but they can't tell me why. Plus, now my yard is still torn up and there is now cable under the ground in front of my house - for which I've not been compensated for - and I can't get service to my house!!

Google Fiber Company Information