2.03/5

Google Fiber Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

This is just a consumer area that Google should've stayed out of. If I could read their mind(s) I'd wager that they wish they never got into this business.

1. The actual internet service is poor. Because of their brand and reputation, people though it would be good. But it isn't. It may be gigabit speed from the source, through the fiber, and into the house. But inside the home, it is standard wireless technology and speeds are not any faster than other providers. Sometimes the speed is actually very slow.

2. The cable TV services is standard corporate cable ripoff plans. It is inexpensive for a very basic package. Would you like HBO? You can only get HBO if you add 12 HBO channels that you don't need or want (like Spanish-language HBO). Oh, you'd like to watch local sports? You need the 'Sports' package - 100 channels you don't want to get just one channel that you do want. Want 1 specific cable news channel? Add the 'News' Package - 100 more channels. This is why people cut the cord - Cable Sucks. This is of course not endemic to Google Fiber TV - this is all Cable (criminal) providers. But still, Google framed themselves as 'different' from the other companies and they are not.

3. Their support is very average. Nothing good.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Google Fiber went out at my residence. After 15 minutes of waiting I called customer service and they eventually restored the service. For my inconvenience and lack of the service I pay for, customer service offered to prorate my bill for the 15 minutes my service was out. Seriously? Keep your chump change. I'll just switch to Comcast, the lesser of two evils.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Friendly but not so helpful. I signed up for Google Fiber as soon as it became available in my neighborhood with an installation date set for September 13th. The tech showed up a little later than the 10 am scheduled time but it’s ok. It’s normal. After changing out the wall mounts to their fiber input, the tech stated that we didn’t have a strong enough light reading and we could not set up until someone came out to work outside on our line. He packed up the router and equipment and assured us that either he or someone else would contact us later that day to let us know they were on the way back to install our internet equipment. Well, that never happened.

When I called back at 5 pm I was told that our ticket that was created, was marked as complete, and that no one else had been scheduled to install our services. When he looked deeper into our file, the rep said that our reading was still too low and that he was completely unsure how this even happened at all! He offered a $50 credit on our account and scheduled us for a new appointment. The earliest appointment was 8 am September 17th though. So September 17th comes along. 8 o’clock. 9 o’clock. 10 o’clock..nothing. So we call again. No appointment had been scheduled!

I get off work that evening and call myself to get more information. Apparently our issue outside had not been resolved. It had been marked as ok. The advice offered to me by the rep was that I should have kept my old services on until the new ones were up and running. But this is after my walk inputs were REPLACED by Google Fibers inputs! So it’s not even possible to use the old service!

So..here I am on the 20th with a new appointment scheduled for the 24th just waiting. Yes I’m on a list to have services installed if an appointment time becomes available BUT the issue outside has still not been addressed! So if someone DOES show up nothing can be done! All this and I get a $50 credit. I am beyond frustrated with this company. I need strong service because of the type of work we do from home but is it all really worth it? Im not sure I’ll ever find out. Everyone is nice when I call but I need more. I need results and I need them soon. Unhappy and not even a customer yet.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

So very frustrated!! Previous homeowner had Google Fiber. We don’t use it. So we have a relatively low wire from our house, through our yard, that we want them to remove & we will remove their box from the brick on our house. However, Mandy, the Google Fiber supervisor that I spoke with, said they don't remove anything. Anyone have ideas on how to make Google Fiber behave or how to get the wire removed from the phone pole so we can disconnect the box at our house? Boy, this shows me that we will NEVER NEVER NEVER subscribe to their services. So how do we get that low-hanging wire removed???

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I canceled my service with Google Fiber on Aug 3, 2019. I have a credit balance of $107.84. I have been told many different stories by GF c/s, one being my money would be back in my account between Aug 13-20, 2019. Now I am being told that it will be "around" Sept 15, 2019. They said there is nothing they can do about it, that it has to go through their system, and no way to expedite it. Six weeks to get your money back. Wow. They are the only company I know of that takes that long to get your money back. Worst of all, when I called in to talk to them about this, they acted like I was the problem. They acted like, why was I upset. The whole thing is a very, very bad experience, and I still haven't gotten my money back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

What happen to Customer Service? Because of the Google Fiber Zona Rosa Store’s error, it has caused me hours of my time, lots of frustration and raised my bill! 6/1/19. On June 1st my son went to the Google Fiber Store at Zona Rosa to exchange my remote that wasn’t working. After waiting a long time because the store was really busy, my son called to say he had just finished at the Google Store and was heading to his next stop. Shortly after that I received an email stating my Google Fiber TV and internet had been cancelled. I called my son to see if he knew what was going on. He stated the store was really busy and he bet the employee forgot to close out my account screen. So, I immediately called Google Fiber to find out what was going on.

I had to open a new account, which amounted to resending copies of my driver’s license and of my utility bill. They also could not use my email because it was linked to the cancelled account, so we used my son’s. I was advised to call back in a week and I could change it back to my email. I had to fill out a number of papers they emailed to me that I had to print, complete, scan and resend to them.

All this took about 2 ½ hours and they offered me $25 for my inconvenience. 2 !/2 hours of my time is worth more than $25 and plus they acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me this credit. My son was with me and he asked to speak to a supervisor and she eventually gave us credit for a month but that was after 3 hours on the phone with Google Fiber. He also ask that we receive something letting us know how this error occurred, not who did it, and what was being done to prevent it from happening again. We also wanted to make sure my personal information had not been compromised.

Note: I also lost all recorded shows I had not watch, plus all the shows I had set up to record. 6/17/19. I called and spent another 2 hours and 15 minutes on the phone with Google Fiber. I was told on June 1st that the email could be changed back to mine after a week. It has been more than a week and now I’m told it can’t be changed until July 13th.

At this time my channel 50 wasn’t working so I asked if there was a problem. They had me pulling different cords on different TV’s, which was hard on me since I am a BK amputee. The agent tried other things and then said they would have to set up a service call. After a few minutes he came back and said, sorry they are aware of the problem and Google is working on it. So, I wasted my time with all the unplugging of cords.

My son received in his email the rate they were charging me for my google TV and internet now. Guess what? They were charging me $20 more than before their error. I was advised they couldn’t fix it now, but they are working on it. Someone would call me when it was done. I also inquired about the results of the investigation of why my account was cancelled and when we would receive a response. We were advised that they did not have a follow up yet they were waiting on a response from the supervisor we talked to on June 21st.

7/18/19. I called again to change email from my son’s back to my email, which was done. I received a bill, which they corrected $15 but it was still $5 higher than before Google Fiber’s error. I never received a call as I was advised on 6/17 advising me the rate had been corrected. I was told to call back after 8/3/19 to see if they could adjust the bill for that $5. 8/3/19. I had to go over the whole story once again. Still no update on why the error happened. I was advised the $5 would be corrected next month but she gave me a $5 credit to cover this bill. I was also advised someone would call me when the correction was made. I’ve heard that before!

8/7/19. Shocker, I received a call from Google Fiber advising me they could not correct the error they made and that my bill would be $5 a month more than it was before they made this error. As usual they were pleased to give me a $25 credit for my inconvenience. I was not pleased and ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting for some time, I was told there was not a supervisor available, they would have someone call me back. I received a call back from a supervisor that said they have gone as high as they can, but they could not put my bill to the amount it was before their error. I asked to speak to her boss, and she said he was in administration and either works behind a desk or from home and he did not take calls. I ask for an email address and was told I could make a complaint on their website. I cannot tell you how frustrated I am at this point. Come on Google Fiber—this is your error why should I be punished for it?

Original review: July 30, 2019

Google Fiber installed fiber for my neighbor and ran the line straight through my lawn and about 40 ft and then over to his house. My property was left looking like **. I have a golf course green looking lawn. Called customer service to her someone go full ** on my telling me that the Government said they could do that. That's right Google. I recorded your stupidity!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Nearly two years with fiber, speed was generally decent with slow breakouts, but I moved to a city without fiber. My issue with them is the billing system, it is a right joke. How is it ok to charge past your cancellation date? If this company is suppose to be so tech shouldn't they have this sorted out? The company has a billing cycle that restarts on the 1st but the customer is the 13th.... How does that make sense? I turned in my equipment on the 3rd, so only used about half my billed month, yet they continued to charge me for the next full month. Now it will take a month PLUS a week processing time until I can get reimbursed. This is not ok for a business to conduct themself.

Original review: June 27, 2019

They double booked my payment and then said, "Sorry we can’t issue a refund!" They said, "It will take so long to get a refund. Your next bill will be due so you might as well pay your next bill with the $319 we double booked." They took $638 from my bank account which was double what I owed. I’ve filed complaints with the Attorney General of CA, the Better Business Bureau of CA and Ripoff Report. I am also going to contact the KS Governor’s office. When they refused to refund my money I said, "Okay I’ll just cancel everything" and they said “It will still take you forever to get your money back”. Thugs and nothing more!

Because they double booked my payment it caused my bank account to be overdrawn which led to my phone bill being returned and I incurred all kinds of overdraft fees! I hope they go out of business. I wonder how many other people they’ve done this to? Also the idiot they sent to install it hooked something up to my electrical box outside that caused an annoying cycle hum. I called the number on the card that he left and it’s like they don’t even exist. No one ever came or returned my call. Oh I almost forgot that when I asked them to come and remove their crap from my house they said that I am not allowed to remove anything. It has to stay in and on the house! ARE THEY CRAZY? IT’S MY HOUSE! JUST SAY NO!

Original review: May 14, 2019

We have subscribed to Google in Overland Park, KS since it became available about two years ago. Several friends had Google and said they were satisfied. We have had several occasions when the TVs were inoperable due to some problem with Google. We still could get Netflix and play BluRays, but no commercial channels and thus no news.

Today, we had issues with the TVs and called Google. After spending an hour and a half unplugging and plugging in various boxes and pressing a reset on the main Google box, the gentleman told me he would have to escalate the problem to the engineering dept. and that someone would be in touch with me on May 20. That essentially means no TV service for six days, assuming the engineering dept. can fix the problem. If it can't, who knows when they will schedule a technician to come out. I've learned from past experience with Google that it almost takes an act of God for them to send a technician out.

Each time we have had problems with Google, my wife says change to a different provider. Unfortunately, when I go online, I find that Google has a slightly better rating than the other providers. Moreover, if you do want to switch and keep your phone number, it takes as long to switch as it does for Google to finally remedy the problem.

Google Fiber Company Information