Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.99/5

Google Fiber Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2020

We've had the 1GB Google Fiber service since we moved in in December 2019 and since we've had it, we've had horrific, slow speeds and we drop connection at least 20+ times a day. I can't stream videos in full, let alone work from home without constantly dropping service. The download speed is a whopping 40mb and upload at 80-100mb. I'm paying $70 a month for junk speeds and connection. I've called them a few times and the first lady was nice but blew me off with just watch it and credited my account with a huge $25! (pathetic, I should dispute my charges with my bank and shouldn't have to pay for this trash service).

2nd time was to "hard reset" everything which did nothing. 3rd time the lady wasted 1 hour of my time and did NOTHING since she needs "3 time stamps" in order to escalate. She said its not her fault that I didn't want a tech coming into my home during this global Pandemic with Coronavirus. What a joke these people... again dealing with a huge corporation and getting lost in the mix of a million customers - no one cares. You're just one more account and that's how they do business.

How about try sending out a new modem first if you've tried to "hard reset" and it didn't work and your client hasn't had service that is even acceptable since he's moved in(4 months now)??? I'll be reviewing them on all platforms online so that people know what type of service & customer service they provide. BBB is next.... I'm entitled to share my experience and frankly, no one cared to address my issue and take me seriously to keep me as a customer. 1 GB = a joke. I can't even work from home. Pathetic.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I have had Google Fiber in two different locations in Huntsville, Al and it was not reliable at either of the two locations. Talked to Google support many times but of all the calls I made only one support guy seemed to want to help but was unable to fix problem. I had to restart the cable box at least once a week to restore service. Google support said that was standard procedure and I should restart my network box once a week for good service. Google Fiber has not been a good product for my family.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have not been impressed with Google's internet service. Its provided router barely makes it into the next room, and when it connects, it provides such a horribly poor signal that I can hardly load webpages.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I never EVER leave reviews, but had to for G.F in Atlanta. Their website told me that my unit (that I just purchased) was fiber ready. So I went ahead and signed up. I chose the self installation option because the other option - to have a technician come out - was going to take 1 week. I get to the store and the agent tells me to just plug the network box into the "fiber jack" inside my unit. I was puzzled, since I didnt remember seeing this fiber jack anywhere in my unit. I told him that I dont recall seeing it in my unit - but he assured me that it must be there. Okay, cool. I take the install kit (which includes the router etc) home. I look around my unit and unsurprisingly - no fiber jack.

I call Google to let them know that there is no Fiber jack in my unit. They respond by saying they have to send a technician to my place "to look for it". Additionally, the agent on the phone said there were no notes in their system about where the fiber jack was installed - which is common practice according to the agent. He also told me that it would take about a week for the technician to come to my unit.

After waiting for almost a week - the technician comes out and searches my unit. He cannot find the fiber jack and also states that it appears that fiber is not running into MY unit to begin with. He tells me he needs to call the "construction contractors" to install it. They come to my unit (within 30 minutes of his phone call *impressive*). They tell me that the construction would take a week to do. At this point, I am looking at 2 weeks without internet. I told them no. I told them I needed my wifi for work and needed a faster option. They told me there was not a faster option. I called Google after they left and complained. Suddenly a contractor calls me and tells me he can work on it (this is the same day the Google technician and the other 2 contractors came out). I said great, come on by. He came within minutes just to tell me that its a little more work than he could do that day, but promised to come out on Monday (this was all happening on a Friday).

I go the weekend without internet and he comes on Monday as promised. He runs the fiber into my unit (BUT not to the area of the room I had asked him to). He assures me that everything is set up and will be online shortly. I get home - the network box is blue (good sign) and try to access the internet. Does not work. I call Google support, waited for 40 minutes to speak to someone who troubleshooted with me. He starts to say that he has no notes that anyone came to my unit to work on it today.

In the end it turns out they now need to send ANOTHER technician out to my unit - because the fiber jack was not "provisioned" by the one who came on Monday. Now I have to wait ANOTHER WEEK for that technician to come out to look at it. Clearly there is a lot of disconnect between Google Fiber and the contractors that they have in the field. As bad as Comcast is, this has been the worst experience I have ever had with a ISP. Absolutely terrible! Only giving a star because I have to give a star. What a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I cannot contact google fiber from phone nor can I do it from my google fiber box (I used to be able to restart my service from the fiber box) and no internet connection. I tried restarting the main box 3 times now and if I try and change my channel I get a no service pop up for that channel, and when I try A different channel I get the same answer. Google fiber is going down hill. I had some employees tell me that a service tech can come to my house, fix the problem and give me credit, THE CREDIT PART IS A LIE! or a stupid answer from a untrained representative of the company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I am very happy with my Google Fiber & WiFi! My instance of outage was not their fault, as the city repaved my street (very well done, thank you SA) and the trenching that Google did at the install was disturbed and had to be redone. I love Google's WiFi App - very useful! Also, the only other time that I had an issue of significant time, was when there was an update on their network. I called in as my network was down for about 5 hrs. They walked me through some tests and concluded that it had to be a network issue and in a few hours, it was back up. Unfortunately, operator error occurred (me), and I rewired the ethernet jacks in a pattern not recommended - gigaswitch and other wired ethernet peripheries before their wifi hub. They sent a technician to my house to verify speeds and check the system and all was well - problem solved!

They did change their rates/plans recently, but look around, for this speed and quality of service Google Fiber/WiFi is a great option at a great price! Have you dealt with other internet or cable services over the years? Be realistic, complaining people, stuff happens, and a company that is as committed to keeping their customers happy with great products & prices, as Google is, is Golden in my view!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I have reported to Google Fiber that my services speeds are significantly below the purchased standards for which I have paid. I have signed up for Fiber 1000 plan with "Up to 1000 Mbps upload & download speeds." My current download speed is 9.13Mbps and the upload 333.35Mbps. I notified Google Fiber customer service of this ongoing matter on 1 December 2019 via online chat. The response was a paltry sorry with absolutely no suggestions for resolving this matter.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

This is just a consumer area that Google should've stayed out of. If I could read their mind(s) I'd wager that they wish they never got into this business.

1. The actual internet service is poor. Because of their brand and reputation, people though it would be good. But it isn't. It may be gigabit speed from the source, through the fiber, and into the house. But inside the home, it is standard wireless technology and speeds are not any faster than other providers. Sometimes the speed is actually very slow.

2. The cable TV services is standard corporate cable ripoff plans. It is inexpensive for a very basic package. Would you like HBO? You can only get HBO if you add 12 HBO channels that you don't need or want (like Spanish-language HBO). Oh, you'd like to watch local sports? You need the 'Sports' package - 100 channels you don't want to get just one channel that you do want. Want 1 specific cable news channel? Add the 'News' Package - 100 more channels. This is why people cut the cord - Cable Sucks. This is of course not endemic to Google Fiber TV - this is all Cable (criminal) providers. But still, Google framed themselves as 'different' from the other companies and they are not.

3. Their support is very average. Nothing good.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Google Fiber went out at my residence. After 15 minutes of waiting I called customer service and they eventually restored the service. For my inconvenience and lack of the service I pay for, customer service offered to prorate my bill for the 15 minutes my service was out. Seriously? Keep your chump change. I'll just switch to Comcast, the lesser of two evils.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Friendly but not so helpful. I signed up for Google Fiber as soon as it became available in my neighborhood with an installation date set for September 13th. The tech showed up a little later than the 10 am scheduled time but it’s ok. It’s normal. After changing out the wall mounts to their fiber input, the tech stated that we didn’t have a strong enough light reading and we could not set up until someone came out to work outside on our line. He packed up the router and equipment and assured us that either he or someone else would contact us later that day to let us know they were on the way back to install our internet equipment. Well, that never happened.

When I called back at 5 pm I was told that our ticket that was created, was marked as complete, and that no one else had been scheduled to install our services. When he looked deeper into our file, the rep said that our reading was still too low and that he was completely unsure how this even happened at all! He offered a $50 credit on our account and scheduled us for a new appointment. The earliest appointment was 8 am September 17th though. So September 17th comes along. 8 o’clock. 9 o’clock. 10 o’clock..nothing. So we call again. No appointment had been scheduled!

I get off work that evening and call myself to get more information. Apparently our issue outside had not been resolved. It had been marked as ok. The advice offered to me by the rep was that I should have kept my old services on until the new ones were up and running. But this is after my walk inputs were REPLACED by Google Fibers inputs! So it’s not even possible to use the old service!

So..here I am on the 20th with a new appointment scheduled for the 24th just waiting. Yes I’m on a list to have services installed if an appointment time becomes available BUT the issue outside has still not been addressed! So if someone DOES show up nothing can be done! All this and I get a $50 credit. I am beyond frustrated with this company. I need strong service because of the type of work we do from home but is it all really worth it? Im not sure I’ll ever find out. Everyone is nice when I call but I need more. I need results and I need them soon. Unhappy and not even a customer yet.

Google Fiber Company Information