2.13/5

58 Google Fiber Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2019

Nearly two years with fiber, speed was generally decent with slow breakouts, but I moved to a city without fiber. My issue with them is the billing system, it is a right joke. How is it ok to charge past your cancellation date? If this company is suppose to be so tech shouldn't they have this sorted out? The company has a billing cycle that restarts on the 1st but the customer is the 13th.... How does that make sense? I turned in my equipment on the 3rd, so only used about half my billed month, yet they continued to charge me for the next full month. Now it will take a month PLUS a week processing time until I can get reimbursed. This is not ok for a business to conduct themself.

Original review: June 27, 2019

They double booked my payment and then said, "Sorry we can’t issue a refund!" They said, "It will take so long to get a refund. Your next bill will be due so you might as well pay your next bill with the $319 we double booked." They took $638 from my bank account which was double what I owed. I’ve filed complaints with the Attorney General of CA, the Better Business Bureau of CA and Ripoff Report. I am also going to contact the KS Governor’s office. When they refused to refund my money I said, "Okay I’ll just cancel everything" and they said “It will still take you forever to get your money back”. Thugs and nothing more!

Because they double booked my payment it caused my bank account to be overdrawn which led to my phone bill being returned and I incurred all kinds of overdraft fees! I hope they go out of business. I wonder how many other people they’ve done this to? Also the idiot they sent to install it hooked something up to my electrical box outside that caused an annoying cycle hum. I called the number on the card that he left and it’s like they don’t even exist. No one ever came or returned my call. Oh I almost forgot that when I asked them to come and remove their crap from my house they said that I am not allowed to remove anything. It has to stay in and on the house! ARE THEY CRAZY? IT’S MY HOUSE! JUST SAY NO!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We have subscribed to Google in Overland Park, KS since it became available about two years ago. Several friends had Google and said they were satisfied. We have had several occasions when the TVs were inoperable due to some problem with Google. We still could get Netflix and play BluRays, but no commercial channels and thus no news.

Today, we had issues with the TVs and called Google. After spending an hour and a half unplugging and plugging in various boxes and pressing a reset on the main Google box, the gentleman told me he would have to escalate the problem to the engineering dept. and that someone would be in touch with me on May 20. That essentially means no TV service for six days, assuming the engineering dept. can fix the problem. If it can't, who knows when they will schedule a technician to come out. I've learned from past experience with Google that it almost takes an act of God for them to send a technician out.

Each time we have had problems with Google, my wife says change to a different provider. Unfortunately, when I go online, I find that Google has a slightly better rating than the other providers. Moreover, if you do want to switch and keep your phone number, it takes as long to switch as it does for Google to finally remedy the problem.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We sold our house the middle of March 2018...therefore we turned in our equipment and canceled our service. Got an email at my work today, April 11 2019 a year later, telling me they are going to charge us $300 because they can't find the equipment I turned in and if I don't bring my receipt from last year that's exactly what they will do... Are you kidding me!!! Because they can’t find my return it’s now my fault. WHY WOULD I LEAVE MY EQUIPMENT AT MY OLD HOUSE AND IN MY NAME? I was told to look for the receipt and call tomorrow...UNBELIEVABLE! I feel bad because the representative Allen was very sweet and sympathetic and I know he’s just doing what they expect of him but this is outrageous!!!

Original review: April 4, 2019

This is the rudest group of people I have had to deal with when trying to get help. Their billing is outrageous. I haven't even been here a month and the bill is totally wrong. After two very bad customer service experiences. With rude. Degrading. Condescending reps. I told the "Supervisor" I want to cancel. I understand. I will be charged for the present month in entirety. Even though I am a new customer and haven't been here a month. I put forward $36. And that disappeared. Stay away. Stay away. Stay away. If you have problems. There is a 50 percent chance you will be chewed out. Or degraded for reporting it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?

Original review: April 3, 2019

My experience with Google Fiber has been a train wreck start to finish and left me with nothing but anger and resentment (and damaged property). Firstly, upon installation the technician drilled an extra hole in my wall and did absolutely nothing with it just left. I brought this up at the storefront location when picking up my box and was supposed to receive credit for the damage and never received anything. I forgot about it for a while due to being behind an entertainment stand until I was moving out of the property.

I started doing some speed tests and had only been getting 10-12 MBPS. Unfortunately, at this time I was getting close to leaving that property so canceling the service was more important than spending hours trying to troubleshoot and get it fixed. I terminated my service over the phone 3/5 and asked for a partial refund for the poor service speed. I was informed that I could not get a refund because I had not “complained enough.” The agent I canceled with informed me that the billing cycle was the 13th to the 13th so he would put my cancelation date down for the 13th and I would not receive any additional charges after the 3/13 bill date. I then received an email stating my account would be charged $70 on 4/13 for the coming month of charges.

I quickly called to get this resolved and spent over an hour on the phone with the technician to get this resolved and ensure I wasn’t charged for services I had not been using and would continue not to use. They would not cancel the entire month only after the date I called because the previous rep stated 4/13 which still doesn’t explain why they would charge me an entire month in advance. I asked to listen to the call as well due to the rep stating on the previous call that I would not be charged any further and they would not let me; I then asked for a copy of the call so I could review and again was denied.

I asked the rep why they can review a call and use that to bill me without letting me review it as well or listen in and he stated, “that is where we are at.” (Super helpful) So I now have a hole in my wall, have been overcharged for services that have been received, and are being charged for services I am not using when they were communicated to me previously that I would not be. I personally will never use Google Fiber again and will make sure that all the tenants at my rental properties know of my horrible experience as well. Good job Google on your poor customer service losing you multiple customers in one fell swoop.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I went online to make a one time payment using a card not already saved on my profile. The payment was $170.00 that I authorized. Two seconds later another payment was processed with my authorization for $176.33. I called Google Fiber and they told they will not refund me for the unauthorized payment because it was an amount due on the account even though I DID NOT AUTHORIZE the payment. I asked for a supervisor and spoke with RYAN who refused his last name and said even though I didn’t authorize the $176.33 payment I billed for the next month in advance so therefore it was owed and refused to give me a refund. I asked for his manager and he said he is highest I can speak to but I can send a letter of complaint to corporate offices. How is it legal to pull an unauthorized payment out someone’s account? That can’t be legal.

Original review: March 7, 2019

It took Google over three months to fix the problem where my TV DVR would not record or even change channels some days as well my internet was hitting 25 Mbps instead of the 1,000 Mbps I was paying for. They never called me back at all. I would call at least twice a week and when they said they would try to do something even sending someone out. They never called me back even when they were setting some appointments. I did all the unplugging that the Google handbook tells the reps to do. It didn’t work the first 3 times and it didn’t work the last two times. The internet also was slower and erratic. I want a complete refund for the entire time my Google was not working. I thought I was sure that Google didn’t want me as a customer so I have an appointment for Monday March 4, 2019 to hook up cable. I might or might not hook it up.

The first two men that came out just hooked up the new network box and saw what was happening. They left since they just couldn’t fix it. This has caused me not to see many shows and missing parts of more shows. This problem also made my TV remote take 2 or more minutes to respond for me. If I wanted to change channels from 4 to 5 it would take a very long time. Sometimes it just didn’t want to do anything so I turned off my TV by unplugging it. It didn’t record any new shows. The last man came out on 02-27-2019 and he had brains. Google must have hired him away from AT&T since they train their servicemen unlike Google. Before he plugged in the new network box he took his time looking at everything connected to Google and after four months he finally fixed the problem that none of the people before him including the three tech guys.

The problem was that the box can only save 1000 future recordings and I had 1000. After we deleted several the TV and internet worked great. This 1000 limit is mentioned nowhere in any Google books, not even the repairman’s books. How absolutely ignorant are the people at Google. I was always told they were the smartest of the smart but all the people connected with this problem except the last one couldn’t even handle digging ditches for a living. The world will know about this. You need to get your ship in shape. Google has never been as good as its competitors but I liked the internet speed when it is as advertised. I want a complete refund forthwith for the entire period my Google was not working appropriately.

Since our contractual agreement is I pay an excessive rate to receive TV and Internet and for over three or more months Google didn’t come close to their agreement. I have read lots of small claims court decisions and this isn’t a blackout for a couple days or something small not working. This is a horrible mistake that should have never happened but it did very long time. Therefore, I am completely confident that I will win any court case pertaining to this Google event. STAY WITH CABLE, Google Fiber is at the bottom of the customer and technical service of any provider.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I bought Google Fiber service, but it was nowhere near that fast. At the entry point to the house, the fastest I ever saw was 450 mbps. The service guy said that was perfect, because 1000 Mbps means 500 uploading + 500 downloading. No it doesn’t! Then, performance completely degraded when transmitting wirelessly through the house. By the time the signal made it to the front room 55 feet away, I was getting 45 Mbps - on a good day! 45 < 1000. I bought three Google routers for $300 and got that speed all the way up to 120, which is slower than I was getting from Time Warner/Spectrum. False advertising. On Fridays, though, my TV just buffers. I have spent hours with their service reps and this is the best they can do.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Service went down during a storm and still waiting 9 days later for service to be restored. Have called several times and gotten no actual information except that it should be working soon but representatives were clueless about the actual work and any timeframes and were fairly unpleasant when pushed to find out when something might happen. We were told we were welcome to find service elsewhere by one agent.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Google Fiber is terrible. Constant outages and poor service. They want $170.00 per month for this absolute trash. They call and text me daily to remind about a payment, but when you call about problems they are never resolved.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Signed up for gig speeds November 3rd. Noticed Xboxes were really slow on upstream/downstream and ping (1100 Ms). Called customer service for assistance with port forwarding. They acknowledged I need port forwarding and then told me they can't do that for residential customers. *That final phrase was a harbinger of future facts/deflection of service.*

After several weeks we finally demanded a tech come out and bring a new network box and to set up the Xbox. He did as requested, except we were still seeing slow speeds. Then I order a Linksys third party gaming router designed for well over gigabit speeds. And got into the UI to tune it for Xbox gaming. That's when it hits me. I need IPv6 address and prefix. No problem I figured, as at Comcast they set mine up first day they came out to set up my network.

Turns out, residential customers do not get to use ipv6 for their needs. Even though ipv6 isn't exactly new tech. It's what Xbox gaming is based around. These were or should have been facts of setup that Google should know and advertise. I cannot recommend Google for gamers. It's not compatible with Xbox specifically for optimized gaming.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Just not a good value at $150/month for internet & TV, with no extra or specialty channels. The customer service is polite but they have little authority to correct anything & there is rarely any follow up by Google.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I had both the free 5 mbps and the 1 gbps versions. The 1 gbps version is not really a 1 gbps as it's up to and rarely will you be connected to a server that will do that speed. Since I didn't see the benefit I went to the free version. It quickly became obvious that laggy connections were common, so I went back to the 1 gbps and noticed the same. The free is not really 100% free since Google makes deals with cities, it's likely to be hidden in your utilities bill. In mine it's the telecom charge. I asked and finally they said it was Google Fiber, unoptional to pay it. Meaning that I am forced to pay for it. Customer service was great at first but went downhill, to the point where they had to get supervisory approval to send someone out to check my connection after having issues related to the router. I have to say I was excited about Google Fiber but quickly it became a disappointment.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

When I first moved to an area where Google Fiber was, I was excited. I purchased the $50/100 mbps/sec. It was great at first. But in the past 6 months is has dropped off a LOT. Aside from the wifi router taking forever to connect to ANY and EVERY device, the connection itself would say it was full bars, but the actual performance was more like one bar. I'm a gamer, so this was a huge disappointment. If they can’t get it fixed soon, I will be changing service to a different provider.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

11 month user. DO NOT BUY this product for 3 reasons: 1. Afternoon/Evening streaming and downloading is slower than 100 year old TURTLE. 2. Remote working not possible, data dumps have lasted 6 HOURS. Should have been couple of minutes. 3. Buffering still exists. For those who enjoy long naps or experience insomnia turn on the TV to see the following sleep assistance screen.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Honestly this is the fastest internet I've ever had at the cheapest price. The technician came in and was professional. He also cleaned up my cable that was hanging out of window that Spectrum wouldn't fix. To the reviews about the service area and the emails regarding their equipment. Those emails are sent out automatically from a computer so you don't get charged for the equipment. They aren't malicious, they could not send them and charge you later. Also, they cannot help the areas they don't cover yet. They are expanding but it takes a lot of time. I would recommend Google Fiber over anyone and I've had them all. This has been THE ONLY ONE TO DELIVER THE SPEED THEY PROMISE, and at the cheapest price available. I downloaded an entire game off steam in 3 minutes.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I moved from Raytown MO to Independence MO. And I honestly would have stayed to them but THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE THERE. You would think I DID SOMETHING WRONG BY MOVING out of an area they don't cover. I get these ominous emails reminding me if I don't return their equipment I will be billed. I get that but I still have two weeks. I am not close to late. We returned it today despite that because they seem too unprofessional to even challenge mildly by keeping it longer. They were okay but nothing to be that arrogant about. Plus this lady on the phone said they plan on billing us another month than refunding it... What? They really are the definition of squirrelly. Can't believe I am suggesting this but stick with AT&T.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Google Fiber is the worst when it comes to customer service, billing and internet services. Every day a few times a day the storage box blackouts out and TV and internet goes down. Way too many issues to say here but the main one is that they will go in your account and charge a card that is not set up as primary or backup. They will tell that they do not change it but they do. I took screenshots before and after that showed a particular card not set as primary or backup but then charged $180 on the next billing and all of a sudden it showed it as "primary."

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I work from home often as the director of a nonprofit and depend on reliable Internet experience. I came home yesterday to discover our internet was not working. We tried all of the quick fixes and we were informed the soonest a tech could come was in one week. However, they suggested I call the next morning to see if there were cancellations. I called in the morning - everything was backed up and the customer service person told me to continue to call. I continued to call and then was told to stop inquiring. You only receive one opportunity to try and receive a cancelled time slot. There is no queue to cue your request is handled when received.

My next step is to find another provider. This has been extremely frustrating. I have an event for my work that I will need to manage at Panera or another location to receive Internet. Frustrated. Very poor service and very poor system for the top tech company in the world. BTW I shared the urgency of my situation but it does not matter beyond an apology for my inconvenience. They will credit me for the time lost on my next bill but it does not solve my problem.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Turned in my equipment and canceled service prior to billing and was still billed for the next month. Told by supervisors no way to refund until after the next month's billing cycle begins. Be careful, they require a card on file for automatic billing.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My apartment complex provides the basic service included with rent. I just moved here and immediately called Google Fiber to set up the service. I made it clear to the woman setting up the account that I just wanted the service that the apartment provides at this time, if need be I would upgrade later. They still require a credit card on file, which I found odd, but figured hey maybe it's for verification of person/address?

A week later I saw that she (or someone else) enrolled me in the program two steps above what the basic is. I immediately called. The gentleman said that he would be happy to move me back to basic. I asked if I would be charged for anything, he said he would have to see what it would be from the start of my service until now. I informed him he could go over the recordings of my initial set up call to see this shouldn't have even happened, 20 minutes later he appreciated my patience and said he saw in the notes that I had requested basic and somehow was placed in Fiber 1000 and he was contacting another department to see if he could stop my card from being charged or not.

I honestly do not know if this was a genuine mistake or a scam for them to try to make money and show that a certain service is better so they can keep people on it. My concern is that I have to call back before the next billing to make sure I am not charged then (as he stated) and that over the time I was on the phone with him he repeated told me what a change I would see in my internet service by going down to basic. I'm thankful for the time (35 minutes) the rep took in investigating and trying to sort things out. I'm just highly disappointed that this occurred and the fact that I have to call back before the next billing to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

To say it nicely, Google Fiber is possibly the biggest joke of a company I have ever dealt with. 2 weeks before moving in we were told our new apartment was google fiber ready, our tech just needed to finalize it. When our tech came out we were told that he wasn't able to complete the job because the wires were ripped out by the previous owners and it would take an engineer. We were told an engineer would reach out in the next 24 hours to schedule a time... Well an entire week goes by, and at this point we have called everyday. FINALLY, someone schedules an appointment for the following day at 10:40a. Due to both of us working, my mother had to miss work to meet the person there. Well guess who never showed up. GOOGLE FIBER. We didn't even receive a phone call.

After talking to a supervisor I was told the rep scheduled the appointment w/ us even though he knew this wasn't an available time slot. HUH?! The supervisor advised me they would call me everyday to let me know when an available engineer would be out. I forwarded this to my management company, who then reached out to Google Fiber. THEY TOLD HIM IT WAS WIRED AND READY TO GO, AND JUST NEEDED A TECH. You can't make this up. Every person had a different story. This place is a joke. P.S. we still don't have WI-FI or an appointment to get it fixed.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My boyfriend has been waiting 2 weeks for Google Fiber to be installed. The wires and everything else are all set up. He was supposed to have it today and the technician called out due to an emergency 10 minutes before they were supposed to be set it up. We are supposed to be moving into the new house within 2 weeks and wanted everything set up. He's not happy right now and has to wait longer, but will most likely wind up canceling. Just because it's Father's Day doesn't mean you can't find someone to come out. I'm also not happy and this is very poor customer service. I understand things happen, but this is why you find a backup. This shouldn't happen to anyone especially when they've been waiting this long and at the last minute.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The service is not good at all. Very intermittent and slow. Customer service is the worst. I was charged after my account was canceled and still haven't received a refund. I have contacted Google Fiber 3 times and always given a different answer and no refund yet! The customer service rep I contacted today was rude and condescending and basically told me I just had to wait! I am sure what you are doing is illegal, and very offensive. You cannot just take your customer's money, without authorization, and give it back whenever you want to, just because you are Google. Stop taking advantage of people with your poor service, bad customer service, and shady billing practices.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews before switching companies. My speeds are much slower than Spectrum. My ethernet service worked about a month then stopped. I called in to report problem. Cust service rep on phone had me on a ladder checking my box. I'm a 63 years old female that was not happy and told the rep that then he scheduled someone to come to the house. Very rude tech came to my house and I asked him to leave. Supervisor came. He was very nice and fixed the problem but it only stayed fixed for 2 days. Called cust service today because even the WiFi keeps cutting off and was told that my speeds are slow because the box is in my laundry room and not near my laptop. I still can't use ethernet. I am going to another company. This has been horrible. I'm not an IT tech and don't plan to be.

Original review: May 13, 2018

We love our Google Fiber service! It has been very reliable and fast for us. We have both wi-fi and ethernet connections through our router, and both work very well. Our security company loves that we have Google Fiber as our ISP, as their software and security cameras work excellently with the system. 5 Stars! :-)

Original review: April 24, 2018

I used to be on Spectrum 50Mbps before and then switched to Google Fiber because it was a cheaper option than Spectrum for their internet only package. From day 1 after switching over, I realized that the speeds didn't match up at with the 100Mbps I was paying for. Speed tests all came within range 93Mbps but when downloading or streaming actual content, it was probably closer to 25Mbps from my experience. I am in IT and I work in networking so I gathered all my data before reaching out to their horrible customer service to complain. One tech even asked me how old my computer was. Like really? Anyway back to the story. There is a 3 Gb file I download for editing every month which used to take me about 3 minutes with my Spectrum connection. Now with a 100Mbps connection, this takes about 11 minutes. My connection is simple. Google Fiber => Ethernet cable=>Computer (I tried it with 3 ). 1 PC and 2 Macs. Same result.

Eventually, I got fed up and upgraded to a 1Gbps connection. That was the last straw. I logged into one or my client's offices with a 200Mbps with a Verizon Fios connection and started the download side by side with my Google 1Gbps connection. Guess which one finished first. The 200Mbps connection. Both tests were performed on the East Coast. Enough ranting. Please stay away from Google Fiber if you are upgrading from another provider. Your service is probably much better. Take my word for it.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Lies!!! I contacted you Google Fiber customer service today and I must say that they have by far some of the rudest representatives and “customer service managers” in their line of business! I was continuously interrupted in addition to being addressed in an aggressive manner! I signed up for service and made a deposit about 4 years ago only to have the service installed this past year prior to being forced to relocate after 6 months of service and now being told I owe for construction because I didn’t keep the service for a year when my neighbors directly across from me have had the service since they moved in 2 years ago. I will most definitely refrain from ever doing business with this company again as well as spread the word! #dissatisfiedcustomer #googlefiber.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Google Fiber ordering and installation process. 12/29/17 - I contacted Google Fiber to request installation. 12/29/17 - I received a "thank you" for signing up for... 12/29/17 - I received a PIN for my upcoming account. 1/9/18 - I received an email asking that I log on to the Google Fiber web page and request an installation time. 1/11/18 - I requested 1/16/18, 2:20 pm installation time (outside crew already ran a fiber to my house). 1/15/18 - I received an email reminder of my scheduled installation (next day).

1/16/18 - I received a phone call from the installer stating that he was on the way... (2:10 PM). 1/16/18 - 2:19 PM: the installer rang my doorbell. 1/16/18 - Joseph ** (my installer) completed the physical install and completed the transfer of my internet-connected devices to the new network (and explained everything and answered every question). Note: This guy knew his stuff, was patient and was VERY competent. Final: For $10 less, I get 97 Meg down and 95 meg upload. (versus Spectrum 55 down and 5.5 up). I am thrilled.

Google Fiber Company Information