Google Fiber

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called on July 6th and set up installation for July 15th. My 80 year old father was moving and needed phone and tv service and unfortunately we were told the apartment was only set up for Google Fiber. July 15th came and the tech said he could not do anything because it had not been wired yet. So I had to call another guy who luckily was able to come out the next morning. He then did what was needed and said now we needed to call back and schedule installation once again. I called and spoke to a supervisor to explain what we have been through already and spoke with Brandon in Austin... not sure he told me his correct name. He said he could not help us at this time... I would need to wait and call back on Monday. He said then we would have to wait until at least Wednesday and that would be the earliest appointment because it's 1st come 1st serve appointments.

I'm not understanding why we wouldn't be a priority when I scheduled our appointment back on July 6th. He was very rude and reluctant to do anything to help. Meanwhile my father has to sit in his apartment with no phone and tv. This guy named Brandon then informed me that I would have no one to complain to because the call would come to him... so he wasn't really worried about me being so upset. I would advise against anyone thinking of using this company... if I had to do it again I would not have my father living in a place that only has Google Fiber as service. I can only hope Brandon in Austin will someday be treated with the same courtesy he gave us. I will send a letter about this young man in hopes eventually it will reach the right person. No one with that attitude should be in a supervisor position.

There have been a few times when I lacked a good strong signal and the call dropped. But everything else has been stellar! Great, reliable service. I've come to trust Google Fiber for my cellular service.

I called in for an explanation on my services in which I spoke with Josiah in Boise. Josiah was very rude and seemed to be irritated from the amount of calls he has taken today. I informed Josiah's supervisor of his actions in which he tried to justify his behavior. I quickly informed Alex the supervisor that I too have worked in a call center and how Josiah should have responded to a paying customer. Alex then said he will turn this into a coaching opportunity. Needless to say Alex showed no empathy towards Josiah's behavior and treated me as if his behavior was valid. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

I went to Google Fiber store to get account set up. After a hour at the store and having multiple personnel trying to get me signed up, manager stated it would be handled as we were sent out and could try to sign in the following day. It has now been 10 days later, numerous phone calls and store visits and still do not have internet service or account started. Each customer service person at Google Fiber assures me their IT team is working on the problem and will advise me of the status and when it is fixed. I have not received a phone yet from Google Fiber advising me of the status of the problem or when that magical day will come when I will have internet service.

My apartments recently signed on with Fiber and all we had to do was pay 10 dollars and were promised free service for 10 years. Sounds great right? Actually I was shocked because at first it was great and I couldn't believe it. I work from home for a bank and am required to plug my phone into one Ethernet jack and my computer into another. No problem for about a year. It makes the rent at my apt totally more attractive considering it comes with internet. The problem is when you move. I called them to tell them I was moving and If never would have everything would be fine. I took my network box over to the new apartment (same complex and literally right next door) and everything worked great for about 3 days.

The cutoff date came and the internet stopped working. I am freaking out because I work from home and only have a few hours of sick time left for the year. I call and their customer service is a joke. They have no answer for anything and every time I called back I had to repeat my old and new address to the point where I knew that the agents weren't even looking at the account history. I'm not even gonna go into that cause it's not even the real issue. After all the crap service on the phone I was advised to go to the store. When I got there with my network box they took it and said, "We are replacing them with a "mini" network box." IT ONLY HAS ONE ETHERNET JACK. So I find a switch on Amazon for 10 bucks which actually did the trick to my surprise. Now that everything has been going good for about a week now THE FREAKING WIFI WON'T CONNECT.

Lucky I have Spectrum this entire month as well because I can't screw around with my job, but it looks like I am going to have to keep it. I am paying an extra 70 dollars a month for my new unit simply because it has a washer/dryer, but now I have to pay for internet service too. I am a single dad and pretty pissed to say the least. I should have just stayed at my old unit and used the damn laundromat. It feels like they got us happy with the service to make themselves look good and then when something happens they are like oh here is your new POS network box that saves us lots of money and barely even works for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?

I purchased Google Fiber because it offered a distinct advantage over traditional cable companies: it's ability to stream content to wireless devices. I've never been able to reliably stream content to my iPad of iPhone. The lag and even complete failure to play is unwatchable. Don't waste your money.

I ordered Google Fiber and TV in Oct 2016. The service was installed but never worked properly. There were lots of issues with videos pausing, especially through the Netfix and YouTube apps. I called several times and spent time troubleshooting with your techs (30 minutes here, 30 minutes there). This went on for a couple of months. I was patient and tried to give Google a chance. Eventually, one tech suggested I take the wall jack back to your store (30 minutes there, 30 minutes back) and switch it out.

So, after spending several hours of MY time to try to get YOUR service to work, I eventually had enough. I emailed fiber-support on December 30th and asked about cancelling the service given that it has never worked as promised. Thomas ** replied and said I could cancel at any time. I just needed to drop off the equipment at the store (30 minutes there, 30 minutes back), which I did in January. The rep at the store assured me that no additional fees or charges would be due. I was charged in January and once again called customer support. I was told that although you charged me in January, the refund couldn't process until February. So I waited once again.

In February, the refund went through followed by another charge a few days later. Once again, I get customer support on the phone (another 30m) and am told I would get a call back within 30m once the refund was processed. Since I didn't get the return call, I went to the support-chat option (45m). Finally, I was told that the charges are for a "$200 construction fee" because I didn't fulfill my contract. I sent Austin a copy of the email from Thomas ** telling me I could cancel any time, as well as mention that Google never fulfilled their end of the contract since the service never worked properly. I also explained that had Thomas ** explained that I would owe $200 for cancelling, I would have asked that a new line be run or techs come to the house to fix it rather than cancel. Still, Austin refused to issue a refund.

Spotty service / bad customer support. I decided to use Google Fiber when I moved to my new condo; as they were the preferred provider in this building. My woes started with the installation. They kept telling me I didn’t have service when the building was wired for Google fiber. I was told by the technician that finally came out that the way they set it up, I could hardwire from any jack in the house. I later discovered this was not so, but due to my busy schedule I did not make this an issue at the time. The service from that point has regularly frozen and disconnected, with a few aggravating modem resets in between. When it came time to pay the bill because my bank account information had been stolen I decided to go into the office to make payment. Their offices do not allow for manual, otc, or in person payments. The only payment method from what I was told is through the website.

This is something I cannot control, but a major inconvenience as some people still like phone and in person options even if it’s a kiosk. When I finally went to pay the bill, I was only gonna pay my past due amount. I purchased a prepaid card and the representative stated he could not take the payment but advised me to make the payment online and I have to make the card my primary card. I made it clear I was paying the minimum past due and it should have been understood this was a one-time payment. Well the next day they drafted the extra due from my account. I am well aware of what was due and when and what it would take to sustain service. I was furious because I put that money on a prepaid card since my account had been compromised. The next agent acknowledged I had been given incorrect information after I directed them to listen to the call but refused to return the extra money drafted.

This makes no sense, after that extra payment was not my intent. Side note... they will forever be paid by prepaid cards for now on. Now that I know how they do and when I want to make it since they were so helpful in telling me I was given the wrong information and they were doing nothing about it. Since I have to take my time with these phone calls now I have decided to tell them about the horrible inconsistent service. I also advised of what the installation technician said about being wired throughout my unit. The agent wasn’t helpful and the supervisor Christian was clueless and from the conversation advised basically he wasn’t going to offer to help. lol... I really don’t care because just as soon as I find out someone else has fiber, I will be switching. Thank you for no contract... even if I have to pay more money... makes me miss Xfinity. In all their flaws they were never this clueless on how to treat customers or maintain consistent service.

My only decent experience was today with a rep who quickly determined I needed a tech... scheduled service and offered me a 25.00 credit. I don’t really feel like this was enough based on my past experience and now I know what to expect from this companies customer service culture. I have a review and recommendation. GO WITH A MORE ESTABLISHED PROVIDER IF POSSIBLE IN YOUR AREA... Because their lack of consistency with the service and that horrible customer service experience is the primary reason... I will be switching as soon as availability comes to my area and leave Google to what they do best... just do email and search engines!!!

I started my service with Google Fiber on Jan 4th 2017. I signed up for 100 mbps. The speed never got above 40 mbps. The service technician said my computer must be old, my computer is only 2 years old. I had better service with Comcast Infinity. Google made several excuses why the speed was super slow. I don't know how they can legally get away with advertising something they can't deliver.

I recently had my Google Fiber Service at home in Morrisville, NC. While the fiber team lay down optical-fiber cable through my front yard, they cut the underground power cables to the lawn decoration lights. I informed about the issue to the Google Fiber Customer care. They are not ready to fix it back. Moreover their customer service representative are very irritating people. They don't know how to speak to a customer. They think that they are kings and customers are kind of third rated people.

I am going to file a lawsuit to Google Fiber. See, fixing the cable might cost maybe few hundred bucks. That is not an issue. I can find someone to fix it. But the thing is, Google Fiber team customer care representatives attitude is what urging me to file a lawsuit. I have the plan 1000 mbps but I never got more than 450mbps even connected through ethernet. In wifi, forget it, it's just less than 30mbps. This is just 3% of what they promised.

The guy was one hour late because of the prior installation. Once he did get here though he went right to work and the internet was up and running within 15 minutes. My charter internet was a lot faster but it is pretty quick. No complaints about it this far. I don't know what else to really say outside of that. As reliable as the rest of them. It depends on the day I guess. Normally it slows up around holidays. I’m thinking because more people are home and using at same time.

Everyone was very helpful and friendly whenever I dealt with them. I contacted about billing and service related questions with little wait time and great a service. The window for arrival could have been a little shorts but other than that the technician was efficient, friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous. I had used a previous service provider in the past and this was by far a quicker speed and more reliable than my previous provider. I also had better experienced with the employees who I interacted with. During my entire time being a subscriber I never once had an issue with my service being interrupted which makes this very reliable brand in my opinion.

I haven't had a trouble with their customer service yet but there are always those rude people who work for customer service you can't ever avoid. It is nice though, I've only had nice people so far. It was quick and easy and it took no time at all. It was so easy my dog, whom runs into walls, could probably set it up with little trouble. haha. It was easy unlike other companies. It is super fast, almost as fast as sonic the hedgehog but sonic is still faster. It rarely lags and if it does it's usually due to something else affecting it. It is quite reliable but of course there are outside forces that no one can control. Like storms. It sucks when the internet goes out cause it usually means I lost all of my data since my last save point on the game I'm playing.

The customer service is always on point. If I have a problem, they usually solve it right away and they have patience to deal with my problem even if it takes a bit longer than usual. And when they finish fixing my problem they usually make sure I am set up good or ask me if I need anything else. The installation was so easy even a 5th grader could do it. It is so much easy installing you can do it yourself. The installation is much more easier and is quicker than your usual internet providers, plus the installation is free compared to other internet providers who charge you like 40-50 just to install it.

The speed is excellent and incredible. Could be a bit better, but compared to other internet providers, I can't complain because the speed is so good that it's outrageous. I would recommend it and I am happy but I'd be so happy to actually go out my way to recommend it if the service for speed was a bit cheaper. With Google Fiber I don't have to worry about reliability. Their service is so damn good that even during a storm or thunderstorm, it still works fine without crashing or going out on me. Their reliability is more stable than other internet providers so I definitely recommend them.

They are very helpful and kind. They do all they can to help get you great service and at a good price which I really like because I love being on the net and quality service is important to me. They were very fast and reliable to me and my family. They offer great speed and I really like that about them because I want fast coverage so I can get things done in a timely matter and still have time for myself and my family. It's very reliable which I really like because if it wasn't I would go somewhere else. That's probably the most important thing they could do is have that.

I've never used the customer service support but I do know that this is a great service. Many of my friends have used it so I've decided to go ahead and use it and it's really great. For installation it was very specific but it was a breeze. It did take a while but it was very great once it was installed. The internet service is great and it can be used by many people. The speed is very well. Many people can access the Internet unlike other internet services that is really slow. I love google anyways so to have their internet service was a must. It is very reliable. The speed has been amazing. The speed is beyond my standards. I love it. It also does wonders when trying to get stuff done fast.

They are a great service. Every once in a while I get a representative that is not at all helpful. Most of the time they are very helpful, very kind, sweet. The gentlemen was very respectful. Even asked if he should wear booties on his shoes, made sure everything was working before he left and made it seem more like a friend was at my house than a stranger. It took less than 2 hours. I was very surprised and thrilled that it was so quick. He even called me to let me know when he was on the way. So far, even with the crazy weather, I have never had any outages, shorts or anything go wrong to cause me not to have cable.

The customer service is absolutely outstanding. The competition is no match compared to the customer service provided. The people are always nice, happy to speak with you. They are and intelligent. The installation is fast, simple, it took a lot less than what I expected. The person was very nice and seemed to enjoy his job and to assist me. The speed is what I like most about this. I grew up with AOL and have had slow internet all my life and the difference is just amazing. I absolutely enjoy being on the internet. I can stream easily. This is always reliable. I can't think of anything worse than not having internet. Sorry my old internet service I was always having problem with my connection when it rained. I no longer have to suffer.

Quick and effective. Not a lot of stupid troubleshooting like with other companies and I appreciate that with two small little girls. It really helps to have the timely response and online email/chat as customer service options. The window of time kinda ducked and was inaccurate, but otherwise not too complex. Information provided was helpful, which is more than I can say for other companies! Much faster than FIOS and Verizon services, and noticeable faster than Comcast (XFINITY) was. Even via cable Internet that we had been VERY happy with until recently. Works when it should. Only needed to contact them 2x, one was an easy reset with no down time and the other was fixed within 2 hours. I have been pleasantly surprised.

Google Fiber Company Profile