3.3/5 (144 ratings)

About Google Fiber

Google Fiber Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Fiber?

Original review: March 7, 2022

I was excited to hear that Google Fiber was coming to my neighborhood a year ago but it’s been the WORST internet experience of my life. I lose connection constantly - they take 3-4 days to resolve the issue when I do and their “customer service” reps when I have to call are miserable. Save yourself the trouble. I just cancelled my account.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

When Google Fiber was first offered in my area a sales rep came by and talked about how much better they were and the cost was only $60/month with everything included, one price without all the taxes etc so I signed up. I had three different people come to the house to put in the box, connect etc. It was good I was off on the days they came because my yard is fenced and locked. So it took awhile to let them in etc. I was told by the last person that came it was ready and someone from Google Fiber would call to arrange the final install. I never heard anything so I called and was told the last installer had to complete their portion before they could send the final installer out. I explained they had already come by and said I was ready but they refused to do anything because that person hadn't checked the final box. I was furious and sent them messages etc but to no avail, no answer so I continued with Comcast.

Then, about 5 months later a sales rep came to my door and I explained what had happened. A final install date was completed and I was hooked up. THEN, less than a week from when they installed it and I had taken a Friday off to do my taxes and pay bills within a hour or so that morning it suddenly stopped working. I called customer service and there was a recorded message it was out of service and they were working on it. In the past with Comcast if there was an outage within an hour or so they would get it fixed. On the day I had taken off it still was not on by the time I went to bed. Totally screwed my whole day up and now I've got to find time to do what could have been done when I took the day off from work.

I can't tell any difference from when I had Comcast except Comcast was never down for a very long time. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!! Wish I'd stayed with Comcast. When Google Fiber first contacted me the cost was $60/month and now it's up to $70/month and I'm sure will keep climbing. Once it hits what I was paying with Comcast I'll go back. The main reason I changed was it was $30 less expensive a month and the salesperson talked about how great Google Fiber was. No difference. It was better to pay more and get service than to pay for something I can't depend on.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Google Fiber came out in September 2021 and laid fiber optic cable in front of my house, tearing up my lawn in the process. They laid seed down afterwards but it didn't take. I dealt with that because the construction meant that I was going to be able to get Google Fiber. Now, months later, I am being told that my house is the only house on the street that can't get Google Fiber because they "cannot design cables for this system and crews have found this house not serviceable" but they can't tell me why. Plus, now my yard is still torn up and there is now cable under the ground in front of my house - for which I've not been compensated for - and I can't get service to my house!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Don’t waste your money. I have daily outages Lasting at least two hours. They left 3’ x 3’ x 2’ deep holes in everyone’s yard in my neighborhood for about six months. They will give you an inconvenience fee of somewhere between $.75 in a dollar if you complain enough. I was also told I should switch services if I’m not happy Instead of fixing the problem Because they have no competition for high-speed Internet in Nashville right now.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Despite the claims the speed you will regularly get are about the same as a cable provider. I have been completely unhappy with the speeds. Just writing this review before I switch to another provider.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

On 1/13/22 I called Google and requested to setup internet. They setup the appt for 1/20/22 so I setup my cancellation with Spectrum for the day before. Google arrives and informs us that they didn’t know we had a driveway in front of our house. They would not be able to do the install for 5 more days (WHAT) and they would have to bore under our driveway, dig through the yard to put a box on the side of our house. I called Google and canceled my request. They asked why and I explained I definitely did not want them going under our driveway and trenching through our yard. I received my cancellation email right after the call.

I came home 1/25/22 to find Google came to my home without permission while no one was home and did everything I asked them not to! I’m floored, speechless, upset and cannot comprehend such a massive mistake by a huge company. I call Google, explain the situation and I’m informed the managers have left for the day. A lie but I leave my name and number for the manager to call me the next day. That never happens!! They do not call me. They do not call a customer with whom they have made a huge blunder.

I call at 6pm when I have not received a callback. This time I’m informed managers are there but a manager will not speak to me about this. They said it is the construction crews fault and I will have to wait for a call back from them. I’m speechless!! Google has not once called to apologize or offered a resolution. And I setup with Google not the construction crew and they are passing me off. I said I would remain on the line until a manager spoke with me and the guy said that’s impossible because they won’t and hung up the phone. I have never encountered worst customer service, lack of accountability and absolutely no thought for the consumer. I wait a while for a callback, no one does.

I call back and this time I’m informed the construction crew will not call me until they have gathered all the information they need and have figured out a resolution. WHAT? I’m waiting for them to CYA because they know what they did was wrong and they will figure out a resolution without the homeowner?? How do you have a resolution without my input? Google should be ashamed of themselves. Please beware and stay far away from this company. We had Xfinity prior to moving to Overland Park and they are an outstanding company, I highly recommend them. Unfortunately they do not cover Overland Park. Spectrums service is very spotty but I am currently back with them as I had to scramble to get internet back before the big Chiefs/Bills game. And I’m still waiting for a call back from Google!! They need to be turned in, they only care about the money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I set up 3 appointments with Google to have them come out and install their internet inside my house. All 3 times they had an excuse as to why they couldn't do it. The first two had to do with the line not installed from the street to my house which they should know before setting up an appointment. The third they said something happened to the line. The worst part is they decided to wait until the actual appointment time to let me know when they knew way ahead of time the proper equipment hadn't been installed. All they offered to compensate me for my time was $25. Save your time and go with someone else.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Back in late April a salesman came to my door selling Google Fiber. Since I was not having a great experience with wifi on Comcast/Xpedia I was willing to listen. I told him that I had a contract with Xpedia until November so I would have to wait, he told me that they would pay for the early termination fee, so I agreed to change. He lied. I have tried to get them to pay that fee since last June. Called them numerous times and finally I get an email stating that they were sorry THEIR salesman told me that but they were not going to honor it. I'm basically happy with the service, but a company that doesn't honor what their agent says is just not, well, honorable. Don't believe anything they say.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

They made a big deal about providing 1000 Mbps and that they were the best company for that. Nothing could be further from the truth! At any given time it barely reached 100 Mbps. What's worse is when I called to get help, it took me over an hour to reload the whole system only to have the same issues two weeks later. They sent two guys over to see what the problem was and when they saw that I was only getting 100 Mbps, they procerded to try and convince me that I could run all my electronics with only 100 Mbps! Don't promise 1000 when the best you can do is 100! I'm done with Google Fiber and going back to Xfinity!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Sub-par customer service. I needed help with a Google Router configuration issue. After a Google Help chat proved completely useless, I reached out to Tech Support, and chose to be called on the phone, because the wait time was over 2 hours. I got a call from Tech Support and was told that somebody will be with me in less than 2 minutes. After 21 minutes on hold, I hung up. This is sub-par customer service.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

The internet was pretty fast at my old location back in SoCal, and there wasn’t any disruptions in between. With that said, I had to move tomorrow early in the morning and use the Internet the night before so I wasn’t able to return the fiber devices to the nearest location in time. When I brought my devices to FedEx, they had an issue with scanning the barcode, and this actually happened twice when I asked for another barcode from the customer service. The ‘print the label yourself’ was pretty bad too because I had no printer and the FedEx self service sucked so bad in my new area and it was weird that there was a five day limit on the ‘print the label yourself’ label. I’m not quite sure but the whole thing with returning was a hassle if you don’t have a Google Fiber store nearby.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Google 2 gig Router/Modem is defective. The box resets four or more times a day. Had a technician come out and check system. He replaced hardware but told us that the new box would start doing the same thing shortly. He said that Google was aware of the issue but did not have a resolution. Technician stated we could opt to downgrade to 1 gig or live with the multiple resets throughout the day. Despite the defect in their hardware, they are still promoting and selling the 2 gig services without making customers aware of the issue.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

My top advice is... Do Not cancel your current provider until you are set up and running smoothly. Sales people will tell you pretty much anything and unfortunately, I fell for it. Scheduled my install 30 days prior, took the day off work then they showed up 2 hours early. Wow, great you may think... turns out the step prior to the tech actually installing was never completed. They cancelled my appointment on the spot, told me they have no idea how long it will take to fix and it was my responsibility to reschedule my appointment. The tech's words when I asked how I would be notified when they were ready for me to reschedule. "I don't know, you'll probably get an email or something." Long story short, I needed to quickly reinstate my previous wifi service because according to Google Fiber customer service it could take "several days" to resolve.

In addition, when the tech was at my house my neighbor who already has Google Fiber came over to ask the tech if he knew why the Google Fiber WiFi was down. So this sounds to me like not only do they have installation coordination problems they also have technical issues. I am very seriously considering canceling with them all together.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

This company needs a lawsuit for charging their customers for service they are not getting. This will be day 3 of techs coming out to "fix" the issue. When you pull up the Google home app and do a speed test, it looks great! However, don't be fooled, pull up the speed test via googlespeedtest.com and run it from there. From the app my speeds were 877, from the internet my speeds are 25.3 (hard wired). THIS IS ROBBERY and I have posted numerous posts on FB and several, I mean SEVERAL people have this same issue! Google needs to pay back all their customers millions of dollars they are stealing from them!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Google Fiber is excellent, so much better and more affordable than Comcast. I am fortunate to have the option in my neighborhood. Wifi extenders on every floor give super fast internet throughout the house.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Since my Google Fiber was Installed, it has not worked. The techs that came and the supervisor said that a construction site tech was going to work on the building that same day. After calling 6 times, customer service said it was my new equipment and no one would come back to support me. Now I’ve been waiting for 3 days for customer service to send me a return shipping label since I cancelled the service. They lie blatantly. Take your money so they do not cancel your service. This is very common with Google after discussing this with some of the residents in these 40 buildings.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

When we first installed Google Fiber 2G technical performance was fine. It seemed they were working out the kinks. However, in the last two months, there has been nothing but problems. There are rampant performance issues--loss of service every 10-15 minutes for two or three seconds, intermittently slow Wifi, devices unable to connect, etc. All of these problems have been documented (ping -t, speed tests, photos, etc.) and shared with Google Fiber. Recently, five technical teams have come to the house, dozens of long service calls/chats with Google Fiber Support, escalation to Google Fiber engineering. None of this has helped. Technicians now sheepishly admit many other 2G customers in the area are struggling with similar problems but Google Fiber is unable to fix (even acknowledge) the underlying issues. When I call for help I only get canned, ineffective support. Google Fiber cannot be recommended. Stay far away...

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

It’s kind of expensive and sometimes depending on the time of day not very responsive. Better speed is achievable but it would cost even more. I sometimes have to pull the power plug to reset the router to get it to connect better.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Stay away from Google Fiber!!! I am moving to a new place which Google Fiber does not have service. As I purchased one year service, it does not REFUND for the service that I DID NOT USE. What a monopoly!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

When the salesman first showed up, everything sounded great, and I wanted Google fiber anyway so I signed up after telling them where we NEEDED the line to go. A week later, the wiring contractor showed up to run the line. We told them that the line MUST go to a certain location, as that is where the office is and I cannot have them on wifi, nor do I want ethernet cables through the house. They installed in the wrong spot, but insisted that the internal installer could fix that.

On the appointed day, he showed up, and said no, he is 100% NOT able to do that per contract guidelines. He went to his van and scheduled a re-locate. Fine, these things happen. Group A doesn't talk to Group B. A couple visits go by and they seem to be making progress running the line where it needs to go. Yesterday (2/19/2021) they run another line from the utility pole to the house. When I went to check things today, They ran the line right next to where we wanted it, but continued going, and terminated on the Floor below where we need it.

So, wrong place again. Unacceptable location for our needs, which has now been explained to three people. I called customer service, and was told that there is nothing that can be done, they WILL NOT run it again, and the only thing they can do is run the internal cabling through the floor/ceiling to go up where we need it. No, that is not ok. TL;DR. Despite being very clear where we wanted the external termination point, and being assured that it isn't a problem, it was installed in the wrong location twice (causing potential stucco damage in the first place) and then told that it's too bad, they can't move it. We told them we will no longer be signing up for their service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I signed up for service over a month ago and was told that they didn't offer service to my home. We cancelled the account and went with AT&T. Today I hear a drilling sound outside my window to find Google drilling holes in the side of my house. Didn't know on the door, didn't call - no notice at all. Went outside and asked them to stop and was told no. He completed the installation of a box that I didn't want or give permission to install. I asked for a supervisor to call me and was told 15 minutes - over an hour later still nothing. I called in and asked for a supervisor and was told no one was available. Finally I get a call from some kid telling me that I can't speak to anyone else and that there isn't anything that can be done. I asked for the box to be removed and the holes patched - I was told no. Awful customer service!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Has maintained price for 3 years, are $50 month cheaper than Spectrum was; my cable has been out maybe 3 times in 3 years, although I never even knew it but they gave me a refund on my bill-- only way I found out; it could not have been out for more than a few minutes to an hour.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I switched from WOW internet because it seemed the connection was never solid and when it was, it was SLOW. Since I've had GOOGLE FIBER installed, I haven't had any issues, at all, and the speed is amazing. Very cost-effective as well. Go GOOGLE FIBER!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Very rude customer service. They shut me off for $68 in a pandemic without any calls to let me know my credit card on file wasn't working or to assist me with a plan or anything. My kids missed online school even though I got on and paid first thing in the morning and called. They said, "We'll just have to wait until service is reinstated." Also I've been a customer since they came to town almost 10 years now! Not good service at all.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I cancelled my Google Fiber a month ago. I turned my equipment in the next day. And they are still charging me a month later. STAY AWAY FROM GOOGLE. Cable works just fine. You can save a lot of money switching to cable and there is no difference in the quality.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

My Internet stopped working on September the 2nd around 4:00 p.m. They could not send anyone out to repair the Internet until September the 4th. I called several times on this. This, 2nd and a 3rd to see if they could have someone come out. I work from home and I need Internet to work.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

My experience was inhumane. Customer service give a reason for the numerous unauthorized withdrawals out of my account. Bill was paid. Thank God I checked my acct. Customer Service lie, false info & extremely rude. Please Never Use Google Fiber!!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

If I could give them a minus 10 rating I would. Three days of sending them an e-mail and not one reply after four days, not even an acknowledgment that they have received my e-mail. It is quite obvious they don't care about their customers, or customer service.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I have had Google Fiber for at least a month, and I am already complaining. After a week, I noticed unusual activity. I used a google a/c to setup my service but while using the internet I accessed my "hotmail account". In doing so, someone changed my settings on the account which forced me to access my settings by making changes. I am unable to receive emails in my "hotmail account" that I have had for years. I used my "hotmail account" for business purposes. Nevertheless, I have had to communicate with my job that I have to change my email address which is not something people normally have to do. It is unprofessional!!!

I contacted Google Fiber; they suggested that I change my password. I changed it. The interruptions and sabotage continued. They have impeded upon my Instagram account making it an unpleasant experience (scrolling interruptions and unable to access my settings to make my a/c private). They are listening to my background - my conversations in my home. Again, I contacted Google Fiber to report the findings (disrespect and unprofessionalism). They tell me again that they cannot access my device. Lies!!!! They suggested that I restart my laptop by resetting it. I did it losing valuable information for them to persist in manipulating my device! I set all my accounts up again on my device. For my google a/cs I set up 2 step verification changing the back up emails from "hotmail" to "gmail" and "yahoo" and again they accessed my device.

After a week, I just so happened to check my settings on both gmail a/cs and discovered that the back-up email addresses were changed from my "yahoo" email address back to my "hotmail" a/c. All I could say is "UNBELIEVABLE"! I did not receive any notifications that they were changed; however, when I changed them back I received notifications for both accounts. Tonight, I posted several comments making this complaint known on Instagram actually identifying Google Fiber as the problem and my screen darkened w/a flash. Earlier today, I visited with my daughter while she was face timing and laughed with the people she was talking to and she complained that her device blackened.

During the complications with my "hotmail account" they forced me to be in a position where I could not access my account preventing me from receiving codes to my back up gmail accounts. They did not know that I had a 3rd a/c that I absolutely do not use, but for the purpose to reenter an account. I used it to access my "hotmail account". After they saw that I was able to access it then they took it a step further to hinder access after that. While I was in my "yahoo" account I deleted "999 emails". I logged off and reentered the account to discover that those very same emails were placed back into my "inbox". Unbelievable! I am at a point to where I am thinking about getting spectrum b/c these acts are vicious and disgraceful.

Every time a Google Fiber representative would access my device before my initial complaint a I would click on an app. When I click on this particular app a Google Fiber page or banner would pop open and not the app that I intended. I print screen it and during my 2nd complain I explained the it to the representative and they denied it. They didn't trying to investigate they immediately denied my concerns. At this point, Google Fiber does not deserve "a" star!!!! But I'm required to select in order to submit my complaint.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I just moved in and see a Google Fiber wall jack. The previous tenant removed the modem box but the neighbor across the hall confirmed there is fiber in this building. The customer service reps can not seem to locate my address on a map so they tell me the service is unavailable. There is no one willing to check out where the other tenant put their service address as and I know there is google fiber here. They just are too lazy to find the address. The phone number to their call center now does not even answer my calls and they have the audacity to send me to their survey after making me wait on hold for 15 minutes. This company has no integrity or humanity. They just want your money.

Google Fiber Company Information