2.13/5

2525 Comcast Internet Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I've been using Comcast Internet Service (only) for about 5 years, at least. I started out with their plan called Performance with unlimited internet access and fast speed. (@$54.95 a month). For about 3 years, the service seemed to be doing just fine. After which, I noticed the speed seemed to really start slowing down, so I contacted Comcast, and their customer service recommended their next Plan: Blast for really fast internet speed (@ only $74.95 a month). The internet price increases started after initially paying $54.95 a month and kept getting higher. The Plan: BLAST has currently increased to $92.95 monthly. In my family's home, we have been using the same exact devices as discussed with Comcast when we initially began using their services (which we are allowed up to 4-5 devices). We use a 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 t.v., and a cell phone (occasionally).

TODAY, at $92.95 a month the internet service is even worse. Our speed seemed to freeze at 14.5 mbps and has not moved at ALL. I contacted Comcast (Now only claiming to be Xfinity), and their customer service representative tried to tell me our new SURFBoard Arris SBG6580 router/modem DOCSIS 3.0 we purchased just a year ago is the problem, and we should replace our router/modem or we could rent one. Also, the representative said there was nothing more that they could do to help.

We are still stuck at only a speed of 14.5 mbps. We're getting bad service! Our fairly new router/modem has been tested, and it works excellently as well as meeting the compatibility Comcast Internet Services requirements. So, NO! We will not throw away our "in-excellent-working-condition" and "fairly-new" router/modem to use their products. Verizon was no better before either as why we switched to them. Sadly, my area is so extremely limited in the choices as to who can and cannot service our internet needs. There are MANY reasonably competitive companies out there that would be glad to service our area except for the "internet monopoly choke-hold" in our area. I'll be glad to support change!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've had Xfinity for years now. Due to high bills I recently changed to just internet and online tv with them. I'm paying for 60mbps but I never get close to that speed. I've had more outages days than nonoutages days. I can't even watch Netflix or surf the internet. It get to the point that my phone's internet is faster and less faulty than my home wifi.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

They didn't even tell me my contract was up so they charged me $190 instead of my regular 90/month. Then to get the same internet my bill went up $40 just to keep the same speeds. Then on top of paying more for internet, as soon as I got a new contract my internet has never been worse! I have called several times and all they say is they are going to reset my router. Wich I can do and have done dozens of times and it doesn't fix anything. I hope they go out of business which they will as soon as another company steps up. Everyone I know hates Xfinity and has similar issues.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Summertime, kids, and data caps equal overages. I've been with Comcast for over 10 years and have never shopped around behind their backs nor have I ever paid a bill late. Yet they repay my loyalty by moving beyond their typical nickel and dime tactics to screwing me out of every penny possible. Unlike cable, having access to the internet is a necessity and with little, to no competition, Comcast knows you'll have to pay the overages and like it. I don't torrent and I do my best to block the data before my family hits the cap, I've tried adding my number for an alert but I have yet to receive one nor have I ever been the lucky recipient of the notice that is sent to the current data user, whichever of my kids notices it just ignores it and keeps on streaming.

I canceled the streaming services that Comcast is using the data caps and overage charges to stifle the competition of but somehow I still ended up with overages and charges. I've already been hit with at least a couple hundred dollars in overages since the caps were implemented a couple years back. My only option with Comcast is to continue stressing about the overages or I can ante up an additional $50 per month for the exact service I had prior to the cap. Fortunately, I have a choice and recently switched to CenturyLink, the performance is comparable but I no longer have the worry of getting hit with Comcast's greedy cash grab.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I own a restaurant and we need internet for all incoming orders. We had no internet from them for 2 weeks. Every time I called they would send an signal or would say the outage was gonna be fixed in a few hours and nothing would happen. Finally I got sick of them and called to cancel even knowing they had a fee. I just didn’t care because the service sucked. They Said the cancellation fee was 471 and even sent me a letter to sign. When I went to pay the bill online they charged us doubled that. I called and talked to 2 different people that said they were gonna get it figured out. Then we get a call from collectors that we owe 1200 dollars!

You can’t talk to anybody and nobody knows anything. They just want your money. Worst experience ever! Still trying to contest this. Don’t use this service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about XFINITY Home Phone Service?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We have been out of Internet service for 5 weeks. During the past 5 weeks, Comcast had sent 3 technicians and still hasn’t fixed the problem. When we called again tonight to ask for status, the person who answered the call was not able to view our service records, nor was his immediate supervisor. Not sure how Comcast can operate a company this way, and no wonder after 3 technicians came the problem is still not fixed. We have requested for refund and will change the Internet service to another company. NEVER CONSIDER COMCAST!!! It’s the WORST internet/cable company I have ever known.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Do not get Comcast unless it’s your only and last option. The only reason I’m getting Comcast is because I can’t get another provider in my area. I’ve been waiting at home since 2:30 for a technician that was supposed to come from 3-5. Around 3 I get a phone call that I had missed the appt since no one was home, even though I was home! No one rang the doorbell. No one knocked. I called and rescheduled, was told they would be back in an hour, did not happen. Called again. They said they would be arriving soon. No one showed for two hours, I called a third time and was told that no one would be coming that unfortunately the next available time was a week from now!!!

They are absolutely ridiculous. This isn’t the first time I’ve experience bad service with them, that is why I switched to DirecTV 2 years ago. Unfortunately the new area I moved to only allows me to get Comcast But I have been avoiding them because they are absolutely useless. I don’t understand how people continue to look for their services.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Find something else. Customer service techs follow a script and don't resolve issues; they even schedule appointments you didn't ask for, their products SUCK, prices are high, you get locked out of your own email on their website (unless you're paying your bill)...nothing good to say about them. HEED THIS WARNING! Find something else.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

T.V & Cable RUN fast, run hard away from this company, cable error message, downtime, service outages, need I say more, Beware your Internet, Blast, check your Speed... The worst, they promise you to bundle with Blast Speed, great for few months, checked again and 10 MPBS Upload & 2 Download. Then you'll start noticing gradual higher bills, and you’re stuck for contract period. Numerous telephone calls. Try downgrading... Good Luck! Try checking online their rates, you will not be able to view published rates since your IP Address is recorded as a client.

So you can't even select what works for you, instead you will need to log in and guess what? They select 3 options which is 20-40% higher and No option to select another package or just buy internet, it’s about what works for them... NOT YOU. Called again, and no way will you be able to downgrade at a reasonable competitive price. Total Abuse. Thank GOD my contract is over. Go A la Carte, get your Internet from 3rd Parties and Stream Cable, and if issues occur there too, at least you'll save 50% off your bill for all this headache, wasted time & money. Way to go Xfinity/Comcast, you really know how to keep good clients on board.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Comcast/Xfinity was only to install internet but switched the AT&T landline to Comcast also. This was not what was agreed on. Now we have to get AT&T to try and fix the problem which will cost extra for my mother who is 90. So sorry I ever contacted Comcast to install internet. This has been a big mess.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been a customer for 18 months and taken advantage of. Unsatisfied customer. This company would prefer money without pleasing the customer. At the end of the day your customers got you where you were and please never forget that! We can make or break this company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Comcast is the worst company to ever exist. Customer service doesn't exist and they avoid you at all cost. Disconnecting your account on your own they still charge you continuously. If you didn't sign up for contract they bill you for early termination. Please ignore all complaints or concerns all emails and even use your own account. They purposely disconnect services and then later say that they're going to disconnected for non-payment.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I had scheduled installation of their service for between 8 am and 10 am, the tech? (by the way these so called techs are not Comcast employees and they take no responsibility for there actions. So if they steal from you Comcast will do nothing). Anyway the work order was wrong, so the tech got in his truck and left. I called Customer service and was promised 3 times that there would be someone there by 10 am. At 10:30 am I called customer service again, was on hold for 12.5 minutes, this liar named Milik pick up the line and informed me he was in charge of all installation.

He also refused to take responsibility for the tech he was in charge of. I was told no one would be coming and he had rescheduled my installation for the following Thursday. Of course I ask him if he thought this was a satisfactory response. What I got was sidestepping and no direct response to my question. I ask to speak to his supervisor and was informed that were not in and he would make sure they called me that day. This is why I refer to him as a liar. They never called. Big surprise. Please do not believe anything these people tell you.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I very rarely leave reviews on any product (especially if my feelings are negative), but I've decided to make an exception in this case because of the underhanded and execrable experience I've had over the last two years. I make my living online and therefore obviously require internet in order to do my job. Unfortunately, the area in which I live is only served by Comcast so I was forced to go with them as my ISP. I was pleased during my first year of service, and I didn't really have any issues with consistent speeds, rates, etc. However, during the second year of service, I've had numerous issues such as 1) increased rates without warning, 2) speed caps where my internet speed slows from 150 mbps to 30mbps-50mbps, and 3) disrespectful service agents via chat.

I was able to solve the rate issue after some frustrated phone conversations, but the speed issue is really what made me angry. I kept noticing how slow things were running, ran a speed test and sure enough, speeds were running at FAR less than what I was paying for. Usually these types of issues are related to the amount of users that an ISP has in a certain area and not being able to service everyone at max speed during high traffic times. I get that, but as soon as I called and COMPLAINED, they said they would "restart my modem" and WOW my speeds were MAGICALLY back up to what they were supposed to be.

Note that I had already restarted my modem numerous times before that but whatever. Maybe it was an issue that happened on their end. In any case, when that issue happened numerous times with the same result, needless to say I was extremely frustrated and it became obvious what they are doing. Anyway, I will say that their support chat has gotten quite a bit better, but if you have any choice of ISP, I would recommend going with someone else. There's a reason Comcast has such a bad reputation.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

We were forced to cancel Comcast internet because Comcast does not offer service at our new address. When we found out we would have to pay an early termination fee, we called to talk to customer service since it seems unreasonable that we would have to pay a termination fee when Comcast does not provide service at our new address.

After spending (no kidding) an hour and a half on two separate occasions on the phone trying to resolve the issue I worked with a manager who ended up catching himself in a lie when he told me the only way they could waive the fee was if we had a flood or fire then 5 minutes later telling me he would cut the fee in half because someone previously promised this (which apparently was also a lie). I called him on the lie and he ended up hanging up on me! My advice to anyone shopping around: The $5/month you may save on your bill is not worth the headache dealing with Comcast Customer Service! This is not the first time we have had terrible experiences with Comcast.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I am a current Comcast cable customer. I recently applied for an affordable internet service for my family through Internet Essentials by Comcast for $9.95/mo. I was approved for the service and waiting for my equipment for nearly 2 weeks. I decided to call internet essentials to obtain the status on my internet equipment. They advised me that I would have to upgrade my cable package with Comcast since my Comcast cable package didn't allow me to get internet service through Internet Essentials. I contacted Comcast cable and they advised me I would have to upgrade to a more expensive cable package, get internet directly through Comcast with a bundle deal, or downgrade my cable service to basic cable with less channels to get affordable internet through Internet Essentials.

I never signed any contract that would prevent me from getting internet service through Internet Essentials. I do not understand how Comcast is preventing me from getting an affordable internet service for my family. I should be able to get Internet service from any company any time I want and should not be forced to pay extra. I filed a complaint with the BBB and a customer executive specialist from Comcast called me only to say the same thing that my account is grandfathered and won’t allow me to add any other products. She also state there is no record or anything in writing stating I agreed to this package knowing I would not be able to add internet.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Xfinity wrote to me this morning to let me know my service was ready to activate. Except it isn't! All I'm getting are errors and call us and this and that. So basically they wrote to me this morning to let me know I should activate and then told me I can't when I called. On the website? "Device found! You can now activate..." Except when I activate, I get "issues" and "errors" messages, two on one page in some instance. And that's what Xfinity has become. It's a big error leeching off its last few desperate customers because it knows its days are numbered. As soon as Google Fiber is in my area, I'll switch. As soon as ANYTHING ELSE is in my area, I'll switch. I look forward to the day this company goes under. It deserves it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Xfinity internet service is OK, but some of their account managers will lie through their teeth and make promises they know they can't keep. I hadn't had home internet in quite a few years because of my limited income so I worked with an Xfinity account manager by the name of Danny ** to come up with something that was within my budget. Knowing that I had limited monthly income he promised everything under the sun including waiving install fees, 60Mbps for $25/month, $60 rebate.

He seemed sincere but when the feet hit the pavement, what I ended up with was 15Mbps for $30/month, a $15 connection fee, no rebate and a lot of talk with NOTHING to back it up. While I have home internet now, it is generally too slow for a lot of the content from my Roku player though web surfing is OK. I haven't tried gaming yet. So if you live in and about San Francisco and a Danny ** from Xfinity wants to sell you anything, run, don't walk as far away as you can. As the old saying goes, if his lips are moving...

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I've dealt with this company for 5+ years. For these years I've dealt with the worst internet I probably could ever experience. For about 3 months, I've had an ongoing issue where the internet's ping would spike up to over 300. I've called constantly, over and over and over again, about over 10 times if I could count, and they finally did something, not knowing what they did, to fix the issue. Then comes a day where Comcast calls us, claiming our router is damaged or broken, and they've shipped a new router to our house. The last router was working perfectly fine, and haven't experienced issues in 2 months.

Now, this new router is even WORSE than the last router. For no reason at all, the internet connection drops for about 5 seconds every two minutes. I record gameplay for a YouTube channel, and it is almost impossible to get good gameplay for my audience without having Connection Timeouts. It happens three times every single day, and I have to restart my router every single time, for me to enjoy 4 to 5 hours of OK internet, then deal with this situation once again. I'm forced to use Comcast because they're the only internet provider nearby, which is the most unfortunate thing to ever happen. I pray to God another internet provider will build a place nearby, so I can switch to them instead of this horrid excuse for "Fast, reliable internet". I recommend you never try out Comcast.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My service is always going out. They do not follow through with appointments. They ran my credit without permission. They do not care for customers at all, worse customer service. Don't get Comcast internet.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My internet is constantly going in and out in Ft Lauderdale. Comcast has no idea why. They schedule appointment to come and check the outside wiring and don't show up. I can't wait till ATT installs fiber optic in my area so I can use the internet when I WANT not when Comcast is not busy!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I had a plan that expired, I called when I received my bill and was told my plan would be upgraded and changed. It never happened. They continued to bill me and every time I tried to get it fixed I got transferred to a number that automatically disconnected. Finally after multiple attempts I got someone but then they won't backdate my plan, stating the rep didn't leave any comments. I still haven't gotten it resolved. They started charging me over $70 more a month.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was a Comcast customer for over 14 years. The customer service has always been an issue, but due to my home location Comcast was my preferred option as the competing company also had a ton complaints. Prior to moving I added Comcast home security. At the time of service I informed the rep I was moving within the year and inquired about cancellation fees if Comcast was not a service provider in the new area. (I was building at that time and there were a lot of questions regarding service providers in the area). I was informed I would not be responsible for cancellation fees if Comcast did not service the area. Six months later I sold my home and moved into an apartment which had a contract with AT&T. During that time I also learned Comcast would not be allowed to service the new development.

When I called Comcast I was initially given a lot of inaccurate information and finally informed it was at Comcast's discretion and I would have to pay $660 for cancelling the home security (not including any equipment) and 350 for the internet (which I've had for years). I've been going back and forth with Comcast for a year now and finally caved in to prevent it from hitting my credit report. I've requested documentation and/or recording supporting the internet contractual agreement and was denied.

I do NOT recommend this company for phone, internet, cable, or home security. During the sale of the home the alarm was triggered by maintenance and the police never showed. During the time I was in the apartment I used AT&T, was informed if I moved I would not be responsible for cancellation. This time I requested it in writing prior to signing and when I moved into my home all I had to do was make a phone call. I could not believe how easy and stress free it was to cancel.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Comcast has grown so large that it can no longer offer any decent service. Employees are given a script and not allowed to divert. Upon having to move and try to transfer service only to discover there was none at the new location, they still insist on the breakage fee; never mind years of using them faithfully and paying top dollar. When turning in equipment, although told the contract was now cancelled - the only thing they cancelled was the autopay. Now the last real bill to be paid, which looks like it has been paid, has not. (Be sure to look at the small print on the bill as to the exact dates that have been paid - the billing cycle is 3 weeks late and arrives at the same time as the last payment!) So now there is a late fee to pay in addition to a breakage fee, and a long wait online to correct the end of service which was never recorded.

Just for all the aggravation, they should waive the breakage fee, but honestly, if they are not providing the service at the new address, they should waive this punishment. (See the original contract details - they are desperate for every dime and make their employees toe the line to get it.) This unrelenting stance with clients who have been with them for years and paid faithfully will come back to bite them. More and more customers are leaving with frustration and aggravation to choose other services; I won't come back. Let's protect the local small guys who can offer proper service with their product.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I contacted Comcast to see if I would be better off using an Internet and TV package from them instead of DISH. Comcast (Xfinity) customer service told me their lowest TV programming alone started at $79.95 and if I wanted to "record" or have "high definition", well, there would be a charge for each, and then a charge for an "extra television", you know, the old DISH TV charges that they want you to fall for as "extras". Customer service woman told me I would be better off with DISH. This is why I dislike Comcast so much. They are so big and they don't care about their customers.

Of course, they are offering a streaming option now, that is most the same as DISH, a low charge, and a ripoff, they tell you what you will get but they don't tell you what you don't get. It is a stupid option. Like, you can stream and but you have no local channels. They tell you have 50 channels, and that is all, I tell you, they take away what you had with the bottom package, or second from the bottom package, that you had with them, no "normal" TV watching. The chat person will order the streaming channel for you, but they won't talk to you about it, they won't tell you what the streaming channel really is, they will just send it to you via your email or text, so they don't have to explain it. Comcast and DISH have not much to offer in the way of customer service for TV viewing unless you pay thru the nose.

Original review: July 31, 2018

My cable went out six times for extended periods in a year's time. Internet went out several times, once for over 8 hours. I do my business online and had to go to Panera to connect to a Wi-Fi. Bill went up from $101 to $202. They said my "Triple Play" ran out but they offered me a Latino Package for $99. With all of their fees, my bill was $134. I can't afford that as I'm disabled. I had to go with a much less expensive carrier. I received a bill for $280. I called and they told me I was being charged an early termination fee. Refused to send me proof that I signed a contract and told me I'd have to go to their ONLY office in the Orlando attractions area if I wanted to see my contract. I explained my disability in detail. They refused once again to send me proof of the contract, nor take into account my disabilities. I offered to send the Social Security documentation. They refused to accept any correspondence from me. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Moved four miles down the road. They raised my rate on my service for internet. Comcast stated that "that plan is no longer available". More than doubled my internet price. Two months later, a flyer was on my door for the same amount of my old contract that I disputed. They said, "Oh! That is available for new customers but not to existing customers." It's funny how businesses do not understand the power of good practices such as rewarding loyal customers instead of punishing them.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Comcast sent a data usage overage warning which we never knew we were limited. This is our home internet that we never agreed to a limited account. This is not a cell phone with limits on data. They keep changing the rules, prices, and trying to force us to upgrade. This is internet account and I'm not willing to allow them to bully us into upgrading. They have overcharged all customers for all these years and now everyone is cutting the cord and now they are trying to force everyone into paying for crap that was never agreed to in the 1st place. They also know they are the only internet provider in Las Cruces, NM so they think they can bully their customers around.

Shame on Comcast for ripping off their customers. My internet is costing $148.00 a month and not fiber optics. They are telling us we can pay an additional $50.00 a month for unlimited. This is a complete abuse of power on their part. I hope they lose all customers for forcing them into abusive overcharges. There needs to be competition in this town for Comcast. Again Shame on you Comcast!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

A few weeks ago I started having trouble with my Internet going out intermittently. Each time before I could talk to a rep I was instructed to disconnect and reconnect my modem. When that didn't work the automated system "sent me a signal" and I had to wait 1/2 hour and then call back. Even then, to talk to a rep was a 2 hour wait. Then they sent "repair" signals and other stuff I don't understand.

Finally one rep told me she thought my modem was bad so she suggested I go to the local store and exchange it. A half hour wait to see a guy who handed me a bag with a new modem and incomplete installation instructions. Back to the phone queue. Finally get it set up. All is well for a few days and now I have no internet or TV because of an "outage". Thankfully have a cell phone through AT&T. That never goes down. Wish AT&T did TV and Internet. The problems with COMCAST are not that severe, but they are exacerbated by the fact that it takes way too long to reach a representative when you have a serious problem.

XFINITY Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Comcast is one of the largest Internet providers in the United States. It also offers cable television and phone services, and it has numerous bundling options for customers to choose from.

• Fast connection speeds: Internet services are offered at speeds of 6 Mbps and higher. The fastest connections may reach 150 Mbps or more.

• Bundling options: Comcast offers many options for bundling services. Customers can choose an Internet package and add various telephone and cable services.

• 24/7 customer support: Customers can browse the online help section. If they still have questions, 24/7 phone support or chat support is available.

• Customer guarantee: Comcast offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee. It also offers bill credits in certain situations, such as a technician arriving late for an appointment.

• Home and business options: There are numerous packages available for both residential and commercial customers, and business customers can get a free quote online.

• Best for: Business owners, work-at-home employees and students.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs