3.8/5 (4161 ratings)

About Xfinity Internet

Comcast Internet Service has Flex 4K streaming and hotspot services. Find the right speed of service for your home by answering a few simple questions to have Comcast match you with the right plan. Comcast Internet Service also has advanced security features that block online threats to connected devices through its free Gateway service.

Pros

• Frequent deals
  • No-contract options
  • Reliable speed

Cons

• Service can be pricey

Bottom Line

Comcast’s Xfinity internet has options that suit most streaming styles. Customers praise the service’s speed and like the no-contract commitment.

Top Xfinity Internet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Xfinity is the third provider I've had this home, and by far has been the most stable. Especially with me having a teenaged gamer in the house. I also love the ability to be just ...

Verified

I have been with Comcast for now for four years. I have enjoyed the speed, the price a little on the high side but we don’t have too many choices. Before I used Comcast I [had] an...

Comcast Xfinity internet plans

Xfinity internet plans are organized by speed, ranging from 15 Mbps, ideal for one to two devices and light streaming, to 2,000 Mbps, which is good for whole-home connectivity and multiplayer gaming. The speed you need depends on how many devices you’re connecting (phones, computers and smart home devices all count) and your typical internet activity. For most individuals and small families, 100 to 200 Mbps is sufficient.

Xfinity availability

Xfinity provides services in select states. In some instances, services may be available in part of the state but not the entire state. Contact Xfinity to see if service is available in your area.

Xfinity is available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Washington, D.C.

Xfinity internet prices

The price of Xfinity varies depending on the streaming speed you need. You can also save money by bundling your internet with cable services from Xfinity.

Speed# of devicesGood forStarting cost
15 Mbps1 - 2Music downloads, light streaming$49.95/mo
100 MbpsUp to 5Music downloads, light streaming$77.95/mo
200 MbpsUp to 8Multiple device streaming$39.99/mo
300 MbpsUp to 11HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$59.99/mo
600 Mbps12+HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$69.99/mo
1000 MbpsUnlimitedSmart homes, HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$79.99/mo
2000 MbpsUnlimitedSmart homes, HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$299.95/mo

Xfinity contracts

Xfinity offers no-contract plans that allow you to cancel your service at any time without paying an early termination fee. Many of the company’s plans offer introductory rates or deals, which means the rate you’re quoted may only apply for the first 12 to 24 months of service. After this period, the fee may increase without warning.

Xfinity equipment

You can rent or buy equipment from Xfinity, including routers and modems, to support your internet plans. Xfinity also offers smart home equipment, including security cameras. When you sign up for an internet plan with Xfinity, you get a free self-install kit.

xfi gateway
xFi Gateway

The xFi Gateway is a modem and router in one. You can rent the xFi Gateway for $14 a month.

xfi pods
xFi Pods

xFi Pods are Wi-Fi extenders designed to combat dead spots. These ensure large homes have complete coverage.

xfinity camera
Xfinity Camera

These cameras capture and record live HD video. The camera can detect motion from people, pets and vehicles. Indoor/outdoor usage.

Comcast Xfinity internet FAQ

How fast is Xfinity internet?
Xfinity offers a range of speeds that start at 15 Mbps and go up to 2 Gbps. Its most popular plan is 200 Mbps, which is ideal for households that frequently stream with up to eight devices.
Are Comcast and Xfinity the same thing?
Yes. Comcast owns the Xfinity brand. You may see services referred to as Comcast Xfinity or simply Xfinity, but both names refer to the same service.
What kind of modem does Xfinity use?
Xfinity offers the xFi Gateway, which is a router and modem in one. You can rent it from Xfinity as part of your internet service plan.
Does Xfinity charge equipment fees?
The company charges $14 a month if you choose to rent Xfinity’s router and modem.

Is Xfinity internet good?

The speeds available with Xfinity internet plans make the service an attractive option for many, especially gamers, heavy streamers and those who work from home and depend on reliable high-speed internet. Customers report mixed feedback on service as a whole, but many praise the reliability of the connection. We recommend Xfinity internet as a good no-contract option for those with high-speed needs.

Xfinity Internet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xfinity Internet?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I have never had a problem in service going out and the speed is amazing and in times when I needed customer service they are the greatest. I believe when the service did go out briefly we were notified of circumstances and when to expect service I go on and on saying good things. Price is very reasonable as well and you can get a service tech out pronto if you need one. Also, very reasonable for service call and most of the time no charge. If you move you can do the service one two three yourself to change address.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

XFinity came out with a plan a couple years ago to help low income people be able to afford the internet. I was sure it would be a slowed down version but after several years of escalating fees and costs I bought it. And I am so glad I did! For $9.95 per month I can be on the 'net all day, play my computer games all night and no problems. The one time I had a problem it was handled quickly and efficiently by a tech. It has been great for this senior on a limited income.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

XFinity, previously called Comcast, has its ups and downs. Downsides: can be expensive if you don't push for a discount, the company doesn't sell modems anymore and it's expensive to rent one or to Buy your own, repairmen charge you for calls, $75, even when they say they won't or the problem is XFinity's fault. Upsides: they've gotten better at not having outages or slowdowns caused by too much internet traffic. Better than CenturyLink by miles.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I find the Xfinity to be very reliable in our area and the router coverage in the home is sufficient provided the router is centrally located. We seem to have sufficient bandwidth to support home security, cable, direct device attachments without any issues. I do find that Xfinity's customer service has got better over the years and I appreciate what they've done from a Covid perspective when they had to come inside to do an installation.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Paying for 100 mbps boost and find often speed is less than expected. Running through the normal reboot of modem/router manually or through their website does not necessarily correct the intermittent speed results. A call to customer service forces you to another reboot before you can get a live agent which is very frustrating. If they can’t solve the issue they schedule a site visit but you get a tier two call later from a difficult to understand agent who again tries to solve the issue. Magically before your site visit issue seems better but after some time the cycle repeats.

Original review: July 24, 2021

With Comcast internet they limit my monthly usage to 2Tb! Who does that? The cost is ridiculous for what you get. My connection was constantly unstable and they told me it would cost me $100 to come out and even check it! And every time I have to call their 1800 # and wait what seems like forever to speak with an actual person. This includes calling to cancel. Goodbye forever comcast.

Resolution response: July 24, 2021

Seth D. from The Office of Tom ** was able to quickly resolve this issue and issue the refund.

Original review: July 24, 2021

On June first I moved to a new apartment. I was doing some research to get the internet service on my new Apt. Apparently, I only had a choice to get either RCN or Xfinity but no Verizon. So I prefer to get the Xfinity service. My roommate had an Xfinity account in my previous apartment, so I choose to get my own account at this new location. I called the Xfinity customer representative; I made sure that there is an Xfinity connection on my apartment before I purchase the service. They did verify and told me after purchasing the service, you simply need to plug and play. Simple as that!

So I purchased the service, waited for few days to receive the installation kit. Apparently, there was nothing on the installation kit, except for the Flex tv device which I didn't order. I called the customer rep again. Asked them to help me activate my modem and router. Everything was properly connected, they tried troubleshooting for few minutes, and in the end, they found out that my apartment doesn't have a live Xfinity connection, so they will have to send a technician to turn the switch on from somewhere in the building. I asked them will there be any charge for it, and the rep told me it is not my fault so there won't be any charge for it.

A technician came at the scheduled time, he went straight to the modem and router and checked the connection. Then he did confirm that there was no live connection. So he had to go somewhere in the building to turn the Comcast Xfinity switch on because the previous tenant had an RCN service in the same apartment. As soon he turned the switch on, my internet service started working. He came to the apartment and asked me if I got the internet service and I said yes, everything is working well.

He then went to my modem and told me if I want to replace the 2-way Coaxial connector (which I was using before to connect the modem and tv) with a single one. I asked him will there be any charge, the guy said, "No no there won't be any charge, I will simply just replace the connector to speed up the connection." I said, "Sure, go ahead." After that, he was about to leave and I did double confirm with him, will there be any charge, the technician said, "No this is not your fault because I had to turn the switch on." I was very pleased with the service. But it only lasts until when I saw a $100 charge on my account on the next billing statement. I called the customer rep and try to explain what happens but the lady on call didn't want to hear and told me, "Once the technician enters your building you will get that $100 charge no matter what." I was very surprised how they say something first and do another thing at the end. Not GOOD!

If they have told me that my apartment doesn't have Xfinity service, and it will require a technician visit, I could have simply chosen an RCN service. But they were very eager to sell their service by telling a lie to the customer and in the end, a poor customer always has to pay whatever they force you to pay. THIS IS A LEGAL MONEY SCAM!!! I requested the customer rep, If I can talk to the supervisor, she kept me on hold for 50 min and at last, she said, he will call me back and hang up the phone, but I never receive a call from anyone. This is a very well organized scam, and I believe, I am not the only one they have done this probably and thousands of customer with $100 each. WOW! I still can't believe it. I will never ever get the Xnifity service or will recommend it to anyone!!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

It might only be down for a minute or two and it might only happen three or four times a week (or maybe fewer) but after six months it's gotten old. Since we are hardwired in I just don't understand why.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I set up a installment appointment. They lost the appointment. They wouldn't make it right. Tried to give me another appointment for the following week which I wanted another appointment for the next day but they wouldn't accommodate. It was their mistake and should have made it right so I canceled service before it even started, what a crappy company.

Original review: July 9, 2021

So far it has taken me many hours and about two week to finally get the internet working, and I am a fairly sophisticated technical operator. I rarely write reviews, but this is beyond acceptable service. I was trying to get the internet to work. At first, the two-factor security on their app wasn't working on their end so I couldn't get into my account to order what I hoped would be more functional internet equipment. So I waited forever on hold and was finally able to order some internet equipment.

The equipment arrived but because the app on their end was still having technical issues, I had to set the equipment up over the phone. They told me it was all set up, but a few days later it stopped working. We went through set up again, and this time, their new wireless router barely sent a signal beyond the bedroom. The condo I'm in isn't huge: It has two bedrooms. But nonetheless, I needed to order wifi extenders.

I could now finally log into the app because Xfinity had fixed their two-factor identification, but I couldn't use the app to order wifi extenders. The app kept asking me to set up my new equipment that had already been set up. The app wouldn't let me do anything except go through another setup routine, which I didn't want to do because I had already spent a lot of time setting it up two times before. The website had similar problems. So I called Comcast again. I am currently on hold with customer service now, still trying to order the wifi extender.

All that said, Comcast is slightly less terrible than they were a few years ago, probably because they were so awful back then that a political campaign here in Oregon, Measure 97, was focusing on them as an example of an unaccountable corporation that ought to pay their fair share of taxes. Although Measure 97 wasn't perfect, it was hard not to agree with the ads about the need to hold Comcast accountable. This company is lucky that it has a monopoly because it would not survive in the real world, and I hope some day soon the government makes it easier for other companies compete with Comcast so that the US no longer has some of the worst internet service in the developed world.

At least these days, probably because of the political pressure from Measure 97, their customer service agents are more friendly and less incompetent. They did at least just tell me they will send me the wifi extenders now instead of having to wait two weeks while they perform some stupid test to determine if I'm worthy enough to get them per my service plan. That's nice of them to send them to me sooner, but it's still spraying perfume on a **.

Xfinity Internet Company Information