3.7/5 (4410 ratings)

About Xfinity Internet

Comcast Internet Service has Flex 4K streaming and hotspot services. Find the right speed of service for your home by answering a few simple questions to have Comcast match you with the right plan. Comcast Internet Service also has advanced security features that block online threats to connected devices through its free Gateway service.

Pros

• Frequent deals
  • No-contract options
  • Reliable speed

Cons

• Service can be pricey

Bottom Line

Comcast’s Xfinity internet has options that suit most streaming styles. Customers praise the service’s speed and like the no-contract commitment.

Top Xfinity Internet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Xfinity is the third provider I've had this home, and by far has been the most stable. Especially with me having a teenaged gamer in the house. I also love the ability to be just ...

Verified

I have been with Comcast for now for four years. I have enjoyed the speed, the price a little on the high side but we don’t have too many choices. Before I used Comcast I [had] an...

Comcast Xfinity internet plans

Xfinity internet plans are organized by speed, ranging from 15 Mbps, ideal for one to two devices and light streaming, to 2,000 Mbps, which is good for whole-home connectivity and multiplayer gaming. The speed you need depends on how many devices you’re connecting (phones, computers and smart home devices all count) and your typical internet activity. For most individuals and small families, 100 to 200 Mbps is sufficient.

Xfinity availability

Xfinity provides services in select states. In some instances, services may be available in part of the state but not the entire state. Contact Xfinity to see if service is available in your area.

Xfinity is available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Washington, D.C.

Xfinity internet prices

The price of Xfinity varies depending on the streaming speed you need. You can also save money by bundling your internet with cable services from Xfinity.

Speed# of devicesGood forStarting cost
15 Mbps1 - 2Music downloads, light streaming$49.95/mo
100 MbpsUp to 5Music downloads, light streaming$77.95/mo
200 MbpsUp to 8Multiple device streaming$39.99/mo
300 MbpsUp to 11HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$59.99/mo
600 Mbps12+HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$69.99/mo
1000 MbpsUnlimitedSmart homes, HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$79.99/mo
2000 MbpsUnlimitedSmart homes, HD streaming, multiplayer gaming$299.95/mo

Xfinity contracts

Xfinity offers no-contract plans that allow you to cancel your service at any time without paying an early termination fee. Many of the company’s plans offer introductory rates or deals, which means the rate you’re quoted may only apply for the first 12 to 24 months of service. After this period, the fee may increase without warning.

Xfinity equipment

You can rent or buy equipment from Xfinity, including routers and modems, to support your internet plans. Xfinity also offers smart home equipment, including security cameras. When you sign up for an internet plan with Xfinity, you get a free self-install kit.

xfi gateway
xFi Gateway

The xFi Gateway is a modem and router in one. You can rent the xFi Gateway for $14 a month.

xfi pods
xFi Pods

xFi Pods are Wi-Fi extenders designed to combat dead spots. These ensure large homes have complete coverage.

xfinity camera
Xfinity Camera

These cameras capture and record live HD video. The camera can detect motion from people, pets and vehicles. Indoor/outdoor usage.

Comcast Xfinity internet FAQ

How fast is Xfinity internet?
Xfinity offers a range of speeds that start at 15 Mbps and go up to 2 Gbps. Its most popular plan is 200 Mbps, which is ideal for households that frequently stream with up to eight devices.
Are Comcast and Xfinity the same thing?
Yes. Comcast owns the Xfinity brand. You may see services referred to as Comcast Xfinity or simply Xfinity, but both names refer to the same service.
What kind of modem does Xfinity use?
Xfinity offers the xFi Gateway, which is a router and modem in one. You can rent it from Xfinity as part of your internet service plan.
Does Xfinity charge equipment fees?
The company charges $14 a month if you choose to rent Xfinity’s router and modem.

Is Xfinity internet good?

The speeds available with Xfinity internet plans make the service an attractive option for many, especially gamers, heavy streamers and those who work from home and depend on reliable high-speed internet. Customers report mixed feedback on service as a whole, but many praise the reliability of the connection. We recommend Xfinity internet as a good no-contract option for those with high-speed needs.

Xfinity Internet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xfinity Internet?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I have never had a problem in service going out and the speed is amazing and in times when I needed customer service they are the greatest. I believe when the service did go out briefly we were notified of circumstances and when to expect service I go on and on saying good things. Price is very reasonable as well and you can get a service tech out pronto if you need one. Also, very reasonable for service call and most of the time no charge. If you move you can do the service one two three yourself to change address.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

XFinity came out with a plan a couple years ago to help low income people be able to afford the internet. I was sure it would be a slowed down version but after several years of escalating fees and costs I bought it. And I am so glad I did! For $9.95 per month I can be on the 'net all day, play my computer games all night and no problems. The one time I had a problem it was handled quickly and efficiently by a tech. It has been great for this senior on a limited income.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

XFinity, previously called Comcast, has its ups and downs. Downsides: can be expensive if you don't push for a discount, the company doesn't sell modems anymore and it's expensive to rent one or to Buy your own, repairmen charge you for calls, $75, even when they say they won't or the problem is XFinity's fault. Upsides: they've gotten better at not having outages or slowdowns caused by too much internet traffic. Better than CenturyLink by miles.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I find the Xfinity to be very reliable in our area and the router coverage in the home is sufficient provided the router is centrally located. We seem to have sufficient bandwidth to support home security, cable, direct device attachments without any issues. I do find that Xfinity's customer service has got better over the years and I appreciate what they've done from a Covid perspective when they had to come inside to do an installation.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Paying for 100 mbps boost and find often speed is less than expected. Running through the normal reboot of modem/router manually or through their website does not necessarily correct the intermittent speed results. A call to customer service forces you to another reboot before you can get a live agent which is very frustrating. If they can’t solve the issue they schedule a site visit but you get a tier two call later from a difficult to understand agent who again tries to solve the issue. Magically before your site visit issue seems better but after some time the cycle repeats.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I've had Comcast internet for 2 1/2 months, paying $220 per month for the most expensive level internet they have. During this time we've had a total 20 outages in my home some for a several hours and some for a few hours but a week doesn't go by without numerous outages. I call them and their reps don't help. All they do is try to sell me more Comcast products. Why would I buy more products if the current products I have don't work?? I have a home business and I can't even work from home anymore because the connection is so bad and unpredictable. It knocks out my cell phone and laptop. I've almost lost a couple of potential clients because my calls kept dropping. Comcast is the WORST internet provider there is. I'm going back to Verizon next week.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I have been a LONG time Comcast/Xfinity customer, in fact, it has been the only ISP that I have used at my personal residences. I have been accustomed to price hikes at culmination of one of their one or two year service contracts but my bill has increased by nearly 100% ($75 to over $135) so I gave them a call. To my surprise I spoke with a VERY kind woman who was as helpful as possible. Unfortunately for me, my 75mbps plan with unlimited data is no longer an option. I can pay around the same price for 50mbps though or I can pay a bit more for 100mbps, the middle-option of 75mbps no longer exists.

Additionally, I have been paying for 75mbps but have VERY RARELY ever achieved anything close to those speeds. During the week my internet clocks in around 18-35 mbps depending on connected devices. With no additional devices connected my speeds are still only in the 50mbps range. Also, service outages, especially in the Denver metro area, are outrageous. Lower than paid for speeds is one thing but when you're working from home, as many are these days, dependable internet is crucial. I will say that service interruptions have decreased since moving out of the city but speeds are abysmal most days.

In summary, they have a wide range of services and packages that would satisfy just about any budget but reliability, flexibility, and consistency (especially regarding internet speed and service) is lacking. When I told the representative that I was thinking about leaving, I wasn't even offered a deal, only a confirmation that I could cancel any time.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Xfinity may provide fast speeds IF it gets up and running. But plan on spending half a day - yes 4-6 hours doing the work a technician should be doing by the company you're paying to provide you the service. The Pandemic has provided the best excuse to allow them and other web companies to pass the work off to you. Now they want it to continue to be your problem to work for them until their problems are solved.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I have been without wifi that I paid for, for 4 days. A service tech was supposed to come between 10am-12pm today. I waited all morning no one came. So I called the customer service number to find out the tech lied about coming to my appointment and they said they will NOT send him back to do the job he was supposed to do. The best they can do is send someone Friday (what so they can lie and say they showed up too?!). I asked for them to just refund my unused days as I'll be switching to AT&T and they also said no. Keep in mind I have only been able to use my service for 4.5 days out of 30 days that I paid for. Xfinity prepaid is a scam. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Xfinity was the worst internet service I've ever had. Constantly needing techs to come out and fix outside Xfinity equipment. Would go hours without service due to Xfinity's equipment issues. Reps would always say it was a modem/router problem (it was never a problem with my personal equipment) and after sending a tech out, techs would always say it was a problem with XFINTY'S equipment. So tired of the runaround from c/s reps just to have a tech come out and say "oops it was our fault all along." And this was a one time thing. Over the 3 years I've had Xfinity internet service, I've had to have a tech come out over a dozen times. Xfinity is the worst and now that AT&T Fiber is available in my area, it was a very easy decision to cancel my service with Xfinity.

Xfinity Internet Company Information