Comcast Internet Service

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I signed a new contract in November of 2016 for two years. The contract stated that I owned my own equipment and that I would receive a $30 discount per month for the first year. I happily signed and thought everything was fine. I was apparently wrong. It only was the beginning of my issues with Comcast for the next 5 months of being lied to. I was told month after month that I had to lease equipment from them or my contract would be voided. I never received a single discount from them on this contract.

They said due to me not buying or leasing new equipment the contract did end up getting voided out about a month later, so they had me sign another contract. I signed this contract and I was told that this would fix all of the billing issues, only to find out I'm in the exact same spot as before. The contract has been pending for well over a month. I have not received any discounts again. I have overpaid $150 so far on my billing just due to the contracts not being honored. I would not recommend this company to anyone. You are better off using your phone's internet than dealing with this people.

Every day on the hour every hour I AM DISCONNECTED!! And God forbid if the wind blows... I've had routers rerouted... modems replaced... I've been pinged ... dinged... and I can't believe this keeps happening to me and millions of others YET NO ONE DOES ANYTHING ABOUT IT! WE ARE BEING ROBBED FOR A SERVICE WE DO NOT GET.

Last Sunday I upgraded my service with a DVR. I was told it should arrive in 3 days. Since I hadn't received or heard anything by Thurs. I called. I was told it didn't ship but a service order was written. Since it was their mistake I ask to overnight me a box, I was told I won't receive it until Monday. SO then I ask about the work order I hadn't requested and if the tech could bring me a DVR? I was then told it would be a $60.00 service. I left Comcast years ago because of poor customer service, Heard they had gotten better, DON'T THINK SO, BAD SERVICE.

Our cable line had been installed incorrectly. If a tall truck drives by on the street outside it snaps the wire right off of my house. It has done it so many times there is now damage to the wood siding of my home, which of course they won't pay to fix. I have spent countless hours on the phone dealing with their "call centers," which are some in foreign country and you can barely understand them and they just run you in circles with their scripted BS. Of course the tech comes out, in a 12 hour window, and tells me the same crap of how it should be installed underground but he isn't able to do it without permission from a supervisor who must be in a magic castle of non-availability to grant access to solve an issue properly.

So I get another band aid repair and I'm sure the same issue will happen again. For now, I got a $14 credit and have wasted countless hours on the phone talking to people not in the USA who are just trying to do their job and feed a family. I feel for them. Just another example of a massive Corporation abusing its power and getting rich on something that should be a free service for all. Internet should not be used as a weapon to keep us down. It is the information highway and the freedom of knowledge should be granted to everyone!

I returned to my vacation home where for many years I have had the least expensive Internet service (Economy Plus). Because the service is so slow, I called and asked if I could upgrade my internet speed to the next level then downgrade it when I planned to leave in 3 weeks. I was told that was "no problem" and that the Internet speed could be increased immediately. The cost would be about $30 more per month so I agreed.

When the Internet speed did NOT increase within an hour, I called again and asked that my order be cancelled and I be returned to my existing plan. I was told that was impossible because my plan was no longer available. I called the following day and asked the same question and was told that they would gladly put me back on my Internet Plus plan immediately.

My bill showed that never happened. I have called many times to correct this situation and get my billing back to what it had been before this happened. I have been told that it would be done and, of course, it hadn't. One "Account Executive" promised I would receive an email confirming that the correction had been made which never happened. I decided to wait until I could discuss the matter in person at the local Comcast store but called to ask that my Internet account be put on seasonal disconnect until I expected to return in 3 months. That never happened either.

After the call, the customer is asked to rate the performance of THE LAST Account Executive that they spoke with. In every case, the representative assured me that problem was corrected and I rated accordingly BUT in EVERY CASE nothing had been done to correct the situation with my account. I get the impression that these call center employees are just there to humor people and make them feel good by feeding them false information and promises. The only way a company like that can survive is by having a unregulated monopoly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about XFINITY Home Phone Service?

The Comcast packages are sold as options but never with all the hidden costs. If you cancel they prorate the service and you cannot get refunds. I had been told lies about internet availability only at 25 MBS (no longer supported the 2 or 10 MBS). That is a total lie. The TV package sold to me included the 75 MBS at the same monthly rate as the 25 MBS. Then that was 20.00 per month more! I didn't activate my TV service but was charged at total of 150.00 for the month of March to April, where I was paying 48.00 per month before. I have not been able to get Comcast to refund the difference. I keep getting passed around and it has been over an hour. This is the second time I have had to speak with them about this. I am going to cancel this service.

After a bust trying to get AT&T services at my home, I tried Comcast even though they had less than stellar reviews in my area. Contacted chat line asking questions for TV, internet, and phone service. I told the rep that it was very important to me for everything to be revealed up front and honestly. I hate "oh by the ways," at the end of a conversation. I have dealt with hidden costs and sneaky business deals. I was super careful about my questions and clarifying answers. I think these reps are trained on how to be vague. Some questions I had to clarify many times because she wouldn't give me a clear answer. I do not trust people who try to hang you up on fine details. I was super clear about my intentions and what was important to me.

After being cut-off the chat twice and three different reps and two and a half hours later, I finally felt I could move forward on my choices. Wouldn't you know it, she hit me in the final step of the deal "oh, by the way, there is also a $10 charge per month for the modem." I was through by then. I reiterated that being honest and up front with customers was important to me and I had voiced that concern. She then came back that since she hadn't been totally upfront, they would waive the installation charges which were $60. Nope, not enough because the unheard charges were $120 and that she wasn't giving me anything that had not been advertised to the public in the way of advertising. She said she couldn't do anything for me.

Where has honesty and upfront communication gone in the customer service industry? Especially since I pointed it out all along. After a fiasco with AT&T and now Comcast, I don't have anywhere else to go to get needed services. Am I going to have to settle for high-cost services and poor customer service? What is the answer? Anyone know of another place to go in Hendersonville, TN for these things?

I hate the piece of crap DVR they give you. It duplicates shows you've already recorded, loses the place of the show being watched, there's a horrible delay when FF, Rewind, playing shows and you spend more time trying to guess at where to stop the FF than you would have if you'd watched the commercials. When TIVO first came out, we had no problems and that was brand new technology. These jokers at Comcast can't get this DVR service right to save their lives. Sometimes it won't delete shows I don't want to save anymore and I have to restart the system. Total pain in the ass!!!

First of all I only have one TV with a cable box hooked (standard box), telephone, internet and security system. OK so I called them a month ago regarding my payment, I did not authorize a transaction. I spoke with a smart customer service representative that argued with me, stating that I did authorize the payment. I told her that I did not, she continued to argue with me, so I said, "Can I speak to your supervisor?" She acted like she put me on hold. But on all actuality she hung up on me. Another complaint I have is my bill is too high, so my service is cut off and I have to pay $438.00 in order to restore my service. This is ridiculous, plus there are often times my internet connection is bad or go out. I should charge them for poor service and bad customer service. Worst cable company EVER.

I have only been alive for about 16 years and let me tell you; this is the ** internet I've ever experienced. My parents say that this is the best internet they could get in the area, which is unbelievable as it is almost impossible for me to even imagine internet worse than this. It cannot handle more than three people using it at a time without being complete **. If you're the only one using it in the house, it's just decent. My computer is hardwired to the internet via Ethernet cable and I get 100+ ping when I'm playing a game on a good day. I cannot believe that Comcast isn't bankrupt yet, even though it's what everyone uses around here. That being said, don't move to Beaufort, South Carolina if you care even slightly about having acceptable internet.

Comcast/Xfinity is the worst at customer satisfaction. In my area Comcast has a monopoly. There is NO other internet provider. It's either Comcast cable... or nothing. There are other providers (Dish) for TV, but if you drop the cable from Comcast, they jack the cable internet up to a shocking level. So the $$ you save with Dish is consumed by the price increase for jacked-up price for the (same) internet from Comcast. It's their way of commanding a ransom. Every 6 to 12 months we play the same game... price jacks up and I spend over an hour on the phone with different people until some compromise is found. Honestly, if there were another provider offering the same services I would not need to spend so much energy trying to keep my TV + Internet under $175. BTW I have *NO* movie or premium channels.

I have had progressively worse and worse internet service in my home. Numerous calls to customer service respond to me with a scripted answer of they see nothing wrong, then cust service does a speed test online to show you that the service is better than normal (this is total joke and not accurate at all). I've spent hours on the phone with customer service complaining. I've had many, many tech service people respond to my home and no one can resolve my problem.

To make matters worse, upon my renewal of service contract, I was quoted a price for service moving forward and it's 3 months later and I still have not been billed that price. More calls to customer service to try to resolve are useless. Hours upon hours on the phone, no one knows anything. They cannot explain why service is horrible or billing is incorrect and they could care less. I've had promises from customer service reps to have supervisors call me to resolve matters... NO ONE EVER CALLS!! This is the worst run company I have ever done business with and they don't even care. I guess this is what happens when companies get too big. There is a disconnect with the customers and they do not care about your business. I would not recommend this company to an enemy!! My next call is to a State of New Jersey regulatory agency to see if they can help.

I've been a Comcast customer since 2009 in Houston, many years before that in Chicago; latter was good service. But in the last few years here in Houston, it's gotten really bad. Yesterday, suddenly I wanted to learn what Xfinity wifi did, so on one of my machines -- I don't maintain a network, all machines are Win7 -- suddenly via a WIRED machine I couldn't access a website, JUST AFTER on a different device, I connected to Xfinity wifi (as hotspot). KEY: there was a splash page offering to download an Xfinity app for secure connection, and I turned it down. I was on a laptop, so didn't think a mobile app would be suitable. THAT is when the problem occurred, and the 'app offer' literally splashed a transparent image over the site I was accessing. Though none of my computers are on a network, somehow that nonetheless prevented them from even accessing the DOMAIN, so long as I use that modem.

Lost 12 hours troubleshooting, had to reset modem, now ALL machines (none being networked) using THAT modem cannot access that same ONE site. But if I use Xfinity wifi hotspot, no problem. Any other websites, no problem. Comcast finally came out today, and the guy insists it's NOT Comcast's problem, that it must be the website. But if it were the website (which it is, I know coz it's MY DOMAIN which I've run for 15 years), then it wouldn't be accessible by wifi hotspot, either. Domain has no problems. But Comcast won't accept that obvious proof it's something in their 'app offer', even denying there is one. The arrogance of this denial, plus years now of ineptitude lasting hours with every phone call, is too much. So I'm done with Comcast. As soon as I can find another provider with wifi hotspots also available, I'll leave.

Have Comcast internet. It is always going out. Have had their repair guys out multiple time. If the wind blows it goes out. If it is cold it goes out. If it get too hot it goes out. Repair people can't seem to find anything wrong but leaves a phone number to call them, but they never answer, so feel just getting lip service. We pay our bill on time and is very expensive service for bad service.

I’d like to rate this less than 1 star but oh well. I highly believe that Comcast in Pa. is robbing the customers for poor internet quality like they did in New York. I been paying for high speed internet but I got the worst internet possible. I have my phone connected to the comcast modem/router and it is faster on 4g... Truth is it’s not that hard to check the internet connection (bps) on my computer and see that they are not giving me what I’m paying for. I think it’s time for residents in Pa. to complain like I am and then rally together with complaints and printouts from our computers showing the low connection (bps) and send it to the state representative or sue comcast like new york did!!! Something really needs to get done about this. Look at everyone else's reviews, and we all agree with the one thing in common. COMCAST, YOUR! INTERNET! SUCKS!!!

Comcast, in our area, as in many, has a franchise monopoly. That is, the local government subsidized Comcast's building of internet infrastructure (laying of cables in public eminent domain areas) and restricted the access rights of competitors to lay cables in those areas. Thus, I have no choice but to depend upon Comcast for broadband internet service. There is no competitive pressure encouraging Comcast to provide superior customer service.

Comcast has seriously failed in at least three arenas for us, and as shown on many reviews nationwide, you may see this applies to other customers as well. (1) Comcast advertises, for our service tier, a service speed of 100 Mbps. We receive consistently a speed merely of about 30 Mbps. A substantial difference. (2) Our initial cable TV contract (bundled with internet) listed a set of stations with our service tier. Monthly, with our bill, we often see a station or two moved to a higher (i.e., more expensive) service tier. (I reckon it's the old TOS ploy, "These Terms may change at any time for any reason.")

(3) Comcast does not offer an opt-out for monitoring and gathering information on our TV and internet activity for commercial (or other) purposes. When I asked a chat agent for a method to opt out, the agent directed me to a phone number. I called, and the robot directed me to yet another phone number. I called that phone number, and the robot did not respond to any of my reactions. I tried three times, with the same results. No opt-out available. I deem Comcast's customer service arrogant and deplorable at best.

Internet has been in and out for four months. Sent four techs out and these professional techs can't figure out what's wrong. All that means to me is they know what's wrong yet do not intend to fix it. Only company in my area so I am stuck with them for now. I hate this company. I hope they go out of business.

Worst service and communication I been having the last two weeks after opening a new account with Comcast. Errors in the order, wrong billing. When you call customer service three different stories and never resolved the issue. Two times appointments to receive a technician and never show. Today he show and have to reschedule again to additional job. After another technician will have to come to install the boxes. In summary two weeks and a half and no services after 16 calls and three appointments. NEVER USE COMCAST.

I've had Comcast internet service for about 3 years now as I have no other choice. Since we first became customers we have had rolling internet outages. In other words our internet will slow to down to bits per second range down from the 25 megabits our subscription is for. I've talked regularly with tech support at first and they would go through the same steps each time ignoring my interruptions that I've gone through their script many times. They eventually send a technicians out to look at the service. I believe we've had 4 out, and each time they say everything is fine, and everything is fine in the middle of the day usually. It's between 6 pm and 12 pm when we have the worst problems, exactly the time we are home and want to use the service we pay for.

Comcast has never offered to give us any kind of outage refund. They have horrible over the phone tech support, they actually try to upsell me at the end of each phone call. The techs they send out seem knowledgeable but when I've tried to follow up with them with screenshots of speed tests they have not responded. At this point I don't have time to continue to devote to troubleshooting with them and I have no other providers servicing my location. Did I mention I live in Denver, so it's not like there are miles of cables to troubleshoot here. I would like to end this monopoly.

This is the WORST service I have ever experienced. My fiance and I pay $50 a month to have high speed internet and every morning I turn my TV on to watch Netflix it EASILY says there is no internet connect and stops in the middle of the show 10+ times over an hour or 2 of watching. Every morning I try logging into my computer I have to completely unplug the router and restart everything just to use safari. If anyone is thinking of using this service it is without a doubt a complete waste of your time and money!! It is the most frustrating, terrible, worst service I have ever used. Don't do it!!!

I was scammed by Comcast sale representative "Christ **" when called to transfer my business service back to my home. My package included phone line and internet. However, I requested to transfer only the internet and he informed that the whole package has to be moved as a service then I can call to cancel the phone line when the technician completed the installation. Then I was shocked when another representative told me that I signed for a whole new 36 months contract (I was not informed during the recorded conversation) and cannot cancel my phone line for another 6 months; otherwise, I will be charged early termination fee.

I called Comcast back many times hoping to just cancel my phone line; however, all of them refuse to help and all said "contact the sale person", who I have no contact info beside his email, which I emailed and no reply (of course). I've been using with Comcast many years for both my business and home services. They just lost a loyal customer by setting up scam like this...

I have the HD Preferred Plus with Xfinity that boasts about their BLAST INTERNET SPEEDS of 200Mps. For the last two weeks, I have been on the phone with numerous Customer Service Representatives, several times with the Advanced Technical teams from Arizona, Alabama, the Pocono Mountains in Pa, have had two service technicians to my home, have traveled 20 some miles to replace the modem, rather than have them ship it for a mere $9.95. With every person that I spoke with, I was told that there is nothing wrong, even though I had my cable checked for strength from the street, along with my house wiring. The signals were great according to the in home techs.

Now, why I am complaining. I am only receiving 100Mps when it should be 200Mbps. When I run numerous speed tests, my download speed's at in the mid 40's with upload speeds of around 9Mps. Not acceptable to me. After all, I am currently paying more for cable service, than it would cost to provide electric & natural gas to heat my home. Go figure. I am about an inch away from canceling all of Comcast's services, use my cell phone as my home phone, look for another internet supplier, and using a Fire Stick with Kodi installed to watch any program, or movie that I want. Totally free if you didn't know! Since I have had no help with my calls, my next step before I cancel will be to contact a few consumer affairs groups on our local channels in Philadelphia. Maybe they can help?

Now that Comcast has released 2 months ago that you are limited to 1024gig of data before extra charge kicks in, and sent out a usage report of what you have been using to make you feel better about getting a cap. Has anybody else noticed they are using a lot more data than before? I work from home and I'm on the computer 10 hrs a day and watch Netflix while I'm working and we had been around for our average 650 gig. Last month and this month I have been over by 550 to 600 gig. So I call to find out what the overage cost is and lo and behold "It's $10 per 50 gig or you can go unlimited for 50 a month more." Well there it is. "Give us another 50 and you get unlimited." Interesting. Now this month after adding the 50 unlimited plan I see a 60 dollar overage and when I call I was told that is credited and my bill should be 286 yet the paper statement and the online statement both show 346 due. Lies all around.

I called to let Comcast know that we were shopping around since their services have been extremely unsatisfactory for the past 4 months; this includes multiple blackouts in a single day and horrible television signal even after they put new cables inside and outside the home and forced us to get a new router since all the troubles they said we had was due to our router which is false. I spoke with a man named Omar on 03/19/2017 around 1:45 P.M. and he said they would lower my total bill to $64.99 for 12 months. I advise him I would call him tomorrow since I was still calling other companies. I called the next day and somehow the price is not and is actually more because that was the price that didn't include taxes. This brings me to a point that just because you don't tell people the truth about a cost doesn't mean you didn't lie. How hard would it have been to say it's $64.00 PLUS TAXES which was never said on their "recorded" line.

On that very day, I speak with another agent Carmelita and is extremely rude and unprofessional that I request a supervisor since she can't tell me what the agent I spoke to before put in the account regarding the retention offer. She then tells me that the average wait time for a supervisor is 25 minutes and decides to wait 30 minutes on the line for a supervisor. I decided to have them give me a call to discuss this deceit of the price and terrible lack of customer service from the last agent.

About 2-3 hours later, I received a call that rang just once and quickly disconnected. That was probably the supervisor/manager calling me waiting for the call to ring once and hang up just to say they called me. If this isn't the dirtiest most deceitful company in the US I don't know what is. I can't wait for Verizon Fios to come to my town and have faster reliable service, quality customer service agents, skilled technicians, and ethical managers. It's really disappointing that a company as big as Comcast has to still stoop so low in morals and ethics to gain a buck like a cheap prostitute.

I would not suggest Comcast internet service to anyone. I will be looking for a new provider first thing tomorrow. I am constantly dropped off of the internet. Half of the time I can't get it on my TV for Netflix or Hulu. The other half of the time I can't understand anyone when I call to get help. One guy was so rude he was yelling at me. I'm done with them. Their cable became so expensive I had to give it up and now they have raised the rates of my internet. It would be one thing if it was good internet but mine has been horrible for years. I would rate them a zero (0) in customer care and not much higher in service. I would never EVER recommend them to anyone.

Comcast is a rip-off. I would not recommend it. I had my account on vacation mode since I was in between housing. I moved out of state and called to get my service back on. They created a new account for me and did not send me a bill. I could not log online to pay my bill. Then, months later I owe them 400+ dollars. I work a lot so I don't have time to go to a branch to pay and when I called they couldn't help me. So I want to change my services since I don't use TV and Voice, they were trying to charge me more than I am paying now just for internet. I wanted a lower speed and it somehow added up to the same amount I am paying now. RIP-OFF.

I am disappointed. I am not allowed to change my services online as I want, they want to control you. The devil comes to steal kill and destroy and Comcast is part devil. It comes to Steal - Good luck if you dare to pay and waste your money on them for a service that you don't even want. I'm willing to pay the 190.00 just to cancel them. They won't find me again.

Comcast takes the cake of being the WORST company when I thought AT&T was horrible! Since I signed up in December 2016, it has been a nightmare dealing with Zachery ** who totally lied regarding what he had offered me followed by Eugene ** and Andrea-Marie ** who by the way are "managers." My bill is always going up month after month without any explanations. When I called no one seems to know what's going on, not even those two managers who claimed they would help and don't replied back to your emails, phone calls, and follow through with their words. I have to call them every month regarding my bill to the point I scheduled for my services to get disconnected in April. If you don't have the time and energy to deal with this company stay far, far away. They are NOT worth your time and energy.

I had been trying to have services installed in my home at **. They have rescheduled me twice because the technician said the work that needs to be done they can't do it. How do you run a business scheduling appointments and not sending qualified technician to handle the job. It took them almost 4 weeks to install and they want me to pay for services since the beginning of the month when I just got services installed on 3/15 so why would should I pay for services I never had and only credited me 20 towards installation when they charged me 70. This is unacceptable and poor customer service.

Horrible. It started with speaking to a sales associate at Walmart who offered me everything I had with Charter for almost half the price. I was hesitant because I've dealt with Comcast raising prices before, but I agreed for her to text me all the details before signing up. Never received a call or text. Next thing I know there's a box of equipment and a bill at my front door. I call to as what it's about and they tell me she signed me up already, that the internet was less than half the speed she promised and just basic cable.

I talk to the associate on the phone trying to figure out what to do. She was great and tried everything to get the price reasonable. She was able to get everything down to two dollars more than I'm paying with Charter but gave me Starz as compensation. So, I go to hook everything up and it doesn't work. I call and explain the situation. Go through the whole restarting modem ordeal and finally get told I need a tech to come hook it up which BTW will be $60. I ask if they will waive it for all my troubles and I get a big NO. Needless to say I canceled right there.

Thank you Comcast for raising my monthly Xfinity WIFI bill by almost $30 a month with not notice. The "extra fast" WIFI plan I'm on is not even much faster than any normal WIFI plan and I am now paying an outrageous $98 bill just for WIFI service. That's not a great way of making your customers loyal or happy. I'm very disappointed with this service.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Comcast is one of the largest Internet providers in the United States. It also offers cable television and phone services, and it has numerous bundling options for customers to choose from.

• Fast connection speeds: Internet services are offered at speeds of 6 Mbps and higher. The fastest connections may reach 150 Mbps or more.
  • Bundling options: Comcast offers many options for bundling services. Customers can choose an Internet package and add various telephone and cable services.
  • 24/7 customer support: Customers can browse the online help section. If they still have questions, 24/7 phone support or chat support is available.
  • Customer guarantee: Comcast offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee. It also offers bill credits in certain situations, such as a technician arriving late for an appointment.
  • Home and business options: There are numerous packages available for both residential and commercial customers, and business customers can get a free quote online.
  • Best for Business owners, work-at-home employees and students.

Compare Internet Service Providers