Progressive Renters Insurance

Compare Renters Insurance

Research top Renters Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Their customer service is a bit pushy on upselling. I didn't need the amount of coverage I was sold and My premiums would have been a decent amount lower had I been sold the appropriate coverage. They do have a wide variety of policy options available. I was not told about many of their cheaper options. They offer a lot of coverage, most of which was way more than what I needed. If you are renting a house this is probably perfect for you.

I went through Progressive to get renters insurance and they automatically pass you through to another company called Homesite Insurance, this is the first step in distancing themselves from any accountability. After many months of dealing with mold in my apartment, I eventually had to move out. I provided all corresponding emails and documents to prove that the mold was caused from a water leak and the claims adjuster, Eder ** told me that he would help me receive the money to replace some of the tens of thousands of dollars of damaged clothing and furniture to which I am still trying to track down anyone with accountability that can make this reasonable reimbursement happen.

It is very important to note that RENTERS INSURANCE MOLD CLAIMS MUST BE TIED TO A PROVEN WATER LEAK OTHERWISE THEY WILL NOT COVER ANYTHING. I highly recommend going with any other provider of renters insurance and making sure the loopholes that these scumbag insurance companies use to avoid accountability are as small as possible so you can recoup a portion of your lost investments.

I had a personal insurance agent that I loved. He was very helpful and made sure I was taken care of. He made sure I got the best monthly cost for my premiums and was always a phone call or text away if I had a quick questions. I never had a claim to file but if I did I am sure it would have been easy and well taken care of. The policy seem very fitted to what I was looking for and were easy to add and custom to my changing needs as life moves. I felt better covered than I had with another insurance agency that I had had for years and always felt like I got what I got with them.

I never had any problems with their customer service. Everything was dealt with online. It was great. I really appreciated that. I thought the policy options were just fine. I got basics covered but that's exactly all that I needed and wanted. The options on my rental coverage were adequate. I never had any concerns or problems of any kind. I would recommend them for coverage on rent because they're a great company overall.

They were just ok when I had them but I had to switch because of high rates and they will drop you after a accident. I guess they are good but just not for me. The claim department is good. They do good policy options but once again it is just not for me because of the high rates and high premiums so I had to switch to another company that offers great rates. They do have good coverages I guess but you do have to pay out of your nose for the good coverages. Prices are on the higher side.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Renters Insurance?

One time I forgot to renew my insurance so I called them and everything was fine. I was not penalized for being a few days late. I was happy with that experience. I have never processed a rental claim with Progressive but I have through their car insurance. They processed the claim quickly and paid for my car repairs. They have a lot of different choices depending on how much you want to pay. There are more than enough policy options. I am happy with the selection. I am happy with the coverage. Depends on how much you want to pay depends on how good coverage you get.

I've not been pleased nor displeased with previous customer service with Renter's Insurance. I have never had to file a claim, so my interaction has been minimal. I can not speak to the claims processing. Luckily I have never had to file a renters insurance claim. I have other insurance through Progressive as well and have had speedy processing of those claims. Pretty straight forward options with easy to understand variable levels of coverage. Rates are proportional to the amount of coverage requested. The renter ultimately determines the worth of their property and how much he/she is able to afford for the coverage.

Have been with this company for over 10 years, Have never had a problem with them. They are kind and very professional, I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for a good company, you will not be disappointed. They take care of their customers, if you have any questions, they are more than happy to help. And they always ask if they have met your needs, and go that extra mile to make sure you are happy with their service. And they also ask what if anything they can improve on.

I don't like how they cheat me out of money. I was supposed to get a claim of $1638 and they took $1000 out and now giving me 638 which is it's not right because 638 do not cover my property damage.

Like me, you might assume a customer service company would be available to help their customers... I was painfully wrong. After a bit of research, I decided to go with Progressive for renter's insurance because of the low cost. Once I completed the enrollment steps, I tried to log in online to view my account. It gave me an error telling me my personal information was incorrect. I knew it wasn't. At this point I called the phone number on the account confirmation PDF. After going through multiple menu items, I waited on the phone for about a half an hour (Not an exaggeration on time). Long story short, I waited on hold for over three hours. I tried multiple menu items to simply reach a person. I even tried numbers from Dialahuman.com and Gethuman.com but was quickly transferred back to the black hole number. I decided if they have such a difficult time picking up the phone to simply help me with my account, why in the world would I trust them to answer when I actually need insurance help? I immediately looked for another insurance company. Hopefully I'll get through to cancel my account.

When I first took out my renters insurance policy, I was assured that my 8x12 shed and my aluminum carport would be covered. Well, I just did file a claim because a big blob of snow fell out of the tree beside my carport and collapsed it on top of my Isuzu Trooper (which I have insured with Nationwide, great company). At first, the claims guy I spoke with told me I was covered, with a $250 deductible, I just had to send in a picture of it and a receipt showing proof of purchase.

I just received a call back this morning informing me that they were not going to honor my claim, "Because collapse is not covered", so it says in some sentence under some paragraph under some section of the policy, even though I was assured by the guy that underwrote my policy that it would be covered.. If I ever have the opportunity to stick it to them or cost them in any way whatsoever, you best believe I most certainly will.

I actually have two stories to tell about Progressive. The first is when I had set up my roadside assistance with them, I asked when I would be able to use my service. They had said in about a day or so. I said, "Well what if something happens and I need the service and I need to use the service today while I am driving (which it did)?" The rep said that I would not be able to use the service. I then asked "well am I not paying for the service as of now when I sign up for it?" She says yes. So I say then, "I should be able to use it if something happens right?" She tells me no. I then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Supervisor gets on the phone and explains to me that if it's a preexisting issue they will not cover it. I say I understand and hang up. Well, on my way to bringing my kids to school I get stuck in an icy snow bank backing out of an area where I was trying to turn around. I call Progressive's roadside assistance and they are trying to deny me service. I spent an hour in my vehicle with my children arguing the situation, went through 3 different employees till they sent help for me.

Mind you I have to pay $200 a month for liability with this company and they were hesitant to send help. I was livid. Also, I had tried to put roadside assistance on my policy a week prior when I paid my bill and the rep told me that they were not able to do it at that time, I would have to call back 24-48 hours after. Ridiculous. They tacked on an extra $70 on my bill this month because I did not sign a waiver for paperless billing. In which I didn't even know I had to do. And they don't even offer renters insurance. This is the worst insurance agency that I have ever gone through and I cannot wait till my policy is up so I can go back to State Farm! I would never recommend this company to anyone!

When it comes time for renewal of renter or auto insurance, I see the price change of 25%. I called Progressive and they told me it was because of storms, floods, thefts and accidents in my area... That’s why my insurance went up by 25%. The place where I live is a very quiet neighborhood with a very low crime rate and never heard about floods in 10 years… I canceled my renter and auto insurance and will never go back to Progressive again.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Progressive is based in Ohio, but serves customers nationwide. Progressive is one of the big players in the personal property insurance market, ranking fourth overall according to a 2014 report by the Federal Insurance Office.

• Multi-policy discount: Add renters insurance to your auto policy for as little as six dollars per month.
  • Accurate quotes: To obtain a quote, Progressive may ask for personal information such a Social Security number. However, personal information is protected and only requested when necessary to create an accurate quote.
  • Privacy protection: Progressive is sensitive to recent personal data issues and provides clearly stated information regarding the protection of your privacy.
  • Information protection: Progressive's policies are on the cutting edge of technology and include safeguards for electronic, physical and procedural information.
  • Online claims submission: Progressive provides convenient online claims submission via the Homesite online servicing agency.
  • Best for Renters with personal property, renters with high risk and renters who sublet.

Compare Renters Insurance