2.65/5

31 Progressive Renters Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 6, 2019

It's not an easy process to decide to change insurance carriers, but they had lower rates, so I made the move. Prepaid 1 year. I start getting emails with links that don't tell me anything and the next thing I know they're threatening to cancel my policy. So I call in to find out what I'd done wrong because a cancelled renters insurance will get me evicted. They just wanted to ask me to verify EVERY question I filled out when I submitted the application. It's deplorable that they would treat new customers like this.. My first experience with their "customer service". This was ANYTHING but Progressive.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I require all my tenants to get renters insurance. I had a tenant that went through some issues with the death of two different parents and ended up having to move their contents and their pets into my property, Progressive uses a third-party Insurance Company called Homesite. The tenants were obviously not mentally capable of handling the Pets. The pets basically destroyed the property to the tune of about $50,000 in damage. This Homesite Insurance insist that they only do 500 in pet damage. AM 1010 in damage but this is a liability claim which they refuse to tap into the liability that the tenants have caused this damage.

Now I'm going to have to file a complaint because the company is out of the state of Texas. The incident was in Pennsylvania so I've got to file complaint with the State Attorney General's office in Pennsylvania and also with the federal attorney general office, in addition to that now I'm going to have to file suit against Progressive, Homesite and also the tenants. I tried to work a deal out with them but they insisted I'm only entitled to $1,500. My advice is for anyone who has Progressive Auto insurance or Homesite insurance for renters or homeowners get rid of these companies immediately because they will not stand behind what you need to get done. I have been dealing with insurance companies for over 30 years and I have absolutely never had trouble with an insurance company until this one here.

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have been a member over a year. My home got robbed on February 13 2019. I called cops. Took pictures but the disrespectful adjuster told me she closed my case 'cause I don't have receipts for my two TV's, laptop and jewelry that was stolen. I showed pics with me with my jewelry on. She say picture won't work. I pay my insurance every month. It's like they don't want to help. They stressing me out. Worst than robbers.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Progressive is billing me as if I was at an old address when I told them that I moved. The funny thing is that they are billing me in a place that I don’t even live, they are saying live at a place I lived two apartments ago, was told to send in a bill showing my current address to keep my rate before a certain date, or my insurance would be 3x higher. I did what was asked, and customer service said everything was fine. I called to see if my proof of residency was received, now they are saying that I need 2 utility bills with my name on it. And that credit card statements, cable bills didn’t count. I have them my electric bill and pay stubs. And still.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have been a Progressive customer for over 3 years. I can’t believe the horrendous experience we just had with them. 3 tornadoes ripped through the county I live in late Tuesday afternoon, which is in N.Y. We lost power for almost 3 days, no water, totally unlivable conditions. One would think that if you have home/renters insurance that the company would help you out. We were sadly mistaken. Not only was the woman Gabrielle one of their adjusters rude, but she said that since we were not the only ones who lost power they wouldn’t cover our hotel stay, not to mention they wouldn’t cover the loss in food since there was a $250 minimum deductible we would have to pay. Which none of these things were disclosed when we signed up, nor can we find it on our insurance binder.

We will definitely be switching companies after this review is posted. I can’t believe they would leave their customers stranded like this. Then again I should have switched when I was hit in a parking lot and they did nothing to help me. After they found the recording the woman who hit me said she hit my car. And I had to have a damaged car and no one did anything to actually help me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Renters Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I up my renter's insurance. They did not tell me that they took 16% for my new payment going around when I renew it. And then I got a letter saying that I agreed that they could take $95 out of my checking and I did not I didn't know anything about it. I didn't budget the 95 bill for it which would have been fine. I would have known to plan for it. All they had to do is tell me. Something I changed it back to where I had and they didn't credit me for what I have before. Just very unsatisfied. Looking for new insurance companies for renters insurance and Auto.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I have had zero issues. I have just paid my bill in a timely fashion and if I needed customer service I know that they will be available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week on their hotline. They had enough policy options to select from on any income level making renters insurance affordable for all. They weren't too expensive, I get plenty of coverage for what I pay. Making that the reason I went with this company and this exact policy. You can change your policy at any time without penalty. You are not stuck with the coverage you originally chose.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I've been with this insurance company for a long time and have had nothing but repeated good experiences and rates. I've had to go through an auto claim with the same insurance company and it was the best experience I've ever had with insurance. It was easy and the turnaround was super fast. They are fair and competitive. I like that they offer ways to save through bundling your services and they are also one of the cheapest options out there for the coverage you get. Also, everything is standard and what you would expect from a provider and everything is priced well.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I chose this company because of a cousin who had this insurance and had such a positive experience with claim processing that he recommended progressive for me when we were looking for renters insurance. The coverage options were plentiful and met all of the requirements and then some for what we were looking to get for our rental situation. Prompt service when issues arose, was able to get a hold of a live representative in a reasonable amount of time. We never had to file a claim but the standard service was good. Never had to file a claim but the standard service was good. There are a lot of policy options available for renters of all types but the representative was able to help guide us to a plan that was right for us.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Progressive, like many of the other big insurance companies, offer many policy options. Auto, motorcycle, boat and homeowners are just a few of the option available with Progressive. Also, Progressive provides liability insurance and the tenant's personal property is covered against named perils such as fire, theft, and vandalism. The customer service of Progressive has been great so far. Any issue I have had was taken care of quickly and with ease. I made the right choice in choosing the insurance company.

Progressive Renters Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive is based in Ohio, but serves customers nationwide. Progressive is one of the big players in the personal property insurance market, ranking fourth overall according to a 2014 report by the Federal Insurance Office.

• Multi-policy discount: Add renters insurance to your auto policy for as little as six dollars per month.

• Accurate quotes: To obtain a quote, Progressive may ask for personal information such a Social Security number. However, personal information is protected and only requested when necessary to create an accurate quote.

• Privacy protection: Progressive is sensitive to recent personal data issues and provides clearly stated information regarding the protection of your privacy.

• Information protection: Progressive's policies are on the cutting edge of technology and include safeguards for electronic, physical and procedural information.

• Online claims submission: Progressive provides convenient online claims submission via the Homesite online servicing agency.

• Best for: Renters with personal property, renters with high risk and renters who sublet.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky