Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.03/5

MetLife is an insurance company that offers multiple levels of homeowners policies to fit a variety of budgets and coverage needs. All MetLife home policies include free identity protection with paid replacement cost coverage options. Its website doesn't have much information, but you can buy its home insurance policies by visiting a local agent.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

Metlife Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Homeowners?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have great retiree discounts through my former employer for HO and auto, plus my dental separately. My overall experience is that they're not even trying with their customer service, on the phone or online. It's as if they WANT you to have a bad experience so you'll just give up and leave them alone. I don't recall EVER being solicited to complete a survey of my experience with them. You decide: low premiums or great customer service. It seems you can't have both with MetLife.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Was quoted one price over the phone and received my bill $100.00 higher. Tried call customer service. First time hung up. Called back, transferred, on hold. Called back and could not explain why. Finally give up.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I would give them zero stars if I could, because they provided me zero service. I found out the hard way that they canceled my homeowners insurance policy when they sent me the notice in the mail (according to the postage, they didn’t send until three days after cancellation). When I called them to ask why it was canceled, they said it was because the bills were never paid. My escrow was supposed to cover that, so of course I called my mortgage company furious. As it turned out, the reason the bills were never paid was because my lender never received any bills; in fact, they never even received a declaration letter.

That means I went over a year without actual homeowners insurance because MetLife did literally nothing. Even after paying to reinstate the policy that had been canceled, they STILL didn’t send any paperwork to me or my lender, despite lying and claiming that they did. It is an outrageous and even dangerous dereliction of duty on their part. I’ve since switched insurance for both home and auto because these frauds don’t deserve anyone’s business.

Original review: March 29, 2018

After extended trip, returned home to find major leak in kitchen. Cabinets, floors ruined. Constant promises from MetLife insurance lackey proved to be all lies. Bottom line, DO NOT get this Insurance. After constant lies they cancelled homeowners insurance with no notice.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My husband and I purchased renters insurance on 2/17. The next day there was a tornado in our area. We didn't have any damage to any of our personal items. We were glad that we had just purchased a policy. So a few months later. Prior to purchasing the policy every faucet in the rental property was leaking and after several attempts to get the SLUMLORD to repair it. We decided to do it on our own. After replacement of the sinks we started to see mold spores throughout the property and inside the ventilation system.

We end up suing the landlord for lack of repairs and only paid half the month’s rent for the reminder of our time at the property until we moved. The courts ruled in our favor and the SLUMLORD tried to retaliate by filling an eviction suit. We contacted Metlife and advised that we need to move due to the courts ruling in our favor that this residence was uninhabitable and we need to leave to temporary housing. Metlife denied hotel assistance because landlord filed for eviction. We left 2 KING SIZE BEDS and 2 QUEEN SIZE BEDS that had mold spores on the bottom and 2 lounge chairs. Metlife denied claim for mold damage. We canceled the policy immediately. They don't help you at all with any legitimate claim. SO DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! CAVEAT (BUYER BEWARE) We are in the process of purchasing a home and they will not be our PROVIDER! THEY SUCK!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

Hail damage claimed on our roof. First roofer said there was hail damage. Their adjuster said no hail damage just wear and tear. Several roofing companies stated otherwise. I am not a roofer, it is quite obvious there is damage. Therefore a second adjuster was request. Second one states there is 'some' hail damage. So they made a small payment, $400 on $1000 deductible. I had a independent adjuster come by and take a look so I can get an unbiased opinion. He stated roof needs to be replaced because of hail. So now I had to hire a public adjuster. (What shysters!) Have been with MetLife over 6 years. No claims. 1st claim rejected, others in neighborhood with damage paid off with other insurance co. also car companies near had hail damage.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have been with MetLife for 25 years and have never filed a claim until this month. My claim was for hail damage of the soffit and fascia to the roof. All of this seems to have stemmed from a simple misunderstanding on my sister's part and the oversized ego of one man. Grant **, the claim adjuster called my house to determine a time to come out and look at the damage. My sister answered the phone, and assuming he was selling insurance, told him we already had it, and proceeded to hang up on him.

On the second phone call, I answered, and after realizing what had happened, I apologized, and tried to explain what had happened. After finishing the phone call with Mr. **, I could tell he didn't believe me, so I made sure my sister would be at the house with me when he arrived so I could explain again. I feel I should point out now that, my sister and I are identical twins, so I can certainly understand why he wouldn't have believed me over the phone.

When Mr. Grant arrived at my home, my sister and I again apologized, and explained that it had been a misunderstanding. He informed me that "I am the man who will be deciding how much money you will get." and he left. A few days later I was told that the hail damage would cost more to repair through my insurance because I had not met my deductible, so I chose to hire a "handy man".

About a week after that I got mail from MetLife informing me that the "soffit and fascia to the roof needed to be repaired, the garage and breezeway singles were worn and needed to be replaced, and the garage door need to be replaced, and the debris around the house needed to be removed", and that I needed to "complete these repairs as soon as possible so that we can take that into consideration for your renewal." A week later I received another letter from MetLife informing me that I had been dropped, and that I now have until July to find new insurance. I just can't believe that after being with this company for 25 years and never filing a claim this is how I am treated, and it all seems to over one man's ego being hurt. I believe this be highly unprofessional.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Our home has been insured with Metlife for over 15 years. We NEVER made a claim until 2016 for which we received $5,000.00. Our Renewal just arrived and the premium increased by $1,100.00 over FIFTY PERCENT!!! I immediately called Met and asked what caused the increase. The rep said it was a number of factors including the claim. I asked for the dollar amount the claim attributed to the increase and was told it was over $1,000.00, basically all of it. I was then made aware the increase would be in effect for 3 years. Isn't the point of insurance to be covered in the event of a loss? Clearly not to Metlife. We didn't know Metlife was only going to cover our loss TEMPORARILY. We now have to pay back 60% of the loss, $3000.00, over the next 3 years. We spent the $5,000.00 never thinking we needed to save $3,000.00 to pay them back.

Be forewarned Metlife's business model is CORRUPT. CEO Steven A. Kandarian receives bonuses based on how profitable the corruption business model works and CORRUPTION has been lucrative for him. 2015 the latest salary data available reported to the SEC he ripped off/gouged his customers to EARN (HA!) $14,975,921. Of course all the stock options he receives provide a little extra and I guess his salary is inadequate for his lifestyle --- between February 27, 2017 -March 13, 2017 he cashed in a small portion of his stock for $1.4 Million. Even after the sale he still has 271,000 shares and at today's price that is worth FOURTEEN Million (All this information is readily available on Yahoo Finance). Yet Steven still wants more - our $3000.00. I called State Farm for a quote - they won't insure us for 3 years and I fear no one else will either. Held for ransom...

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I would not give even 1 star if I didn't have to. Do not support them. I was denied a quote because I have dogs and they are considered a liability!?? How can this company be affiliated with Banfield Pet Hospital if they discriminate against dog breeds??? Im a vet tech. I have a pit bull, papillon and husky mix. They asked if my pit bulls have ever bit someone and no they haven't and they never will. My papillon is more likely to bite you than my pit!! What the heck!!?? They said they wouldn't give me a quote because my pit bull is a liability and is likely to bite someone.

Screw yall. As if it's not bad enough that apartments won't allow pit bull breeds but now you can't get insurance on a home that you own because you have a PITBULL in the HOME that you OWN!! I'm appalled to say the least. WOW!! Todd you suck. You didn't even listen to me when I was telling you about my home before you asked about my dogs because if you were listening you wouldn't have had to ask me 50 questions I already told you about. Worst insurance company ever!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I was with Metlife for about 10 years before I made my first claim. During those ten years my premiums slowly increased. Then came the two claims I made - one for hail damage of my roof and the second for a failed sump pump that flooded my basement destroying my wall to wall carpeting. Both claims were handled entirely different. The hail damage claim only took one estimate and they cut me a check minus my deductible fairly quickly. The carpeting was a different story. Newbies beware. My coverage was for replacement cost. The Metlife adjuster took a sample of carpet and had it sent to a lab because I could not find my original receipt. He also sent out a company to measure and perform remediation. I received an estimate from the insurance adjuster for the carpeting that was not close to what I remembered paying for it.

After I personally measured the area, I found out that they under-measured by 800 square feet. After correcting the measurement we settled on an acceptable number minus my deductible. However I was told I would only receive 30 or 40 percent upfront and the rest when the carpet was replaced. I chose to install a slightly cheaper carpet and save some of the money to pay for a sump pump backup system. After the carpet was installed I requested the rest of the money. That is where the problems began. The adjuster wanted copies of the receipt. He said they only paid for the cost of the carpet I put back in. This was not clearly explained to me at the beginning. Just going through the process the year before on my roof I thought I knew what was going to happen with my carpeting.

The kicker, in carpeting, the square foot measurement for the estimate should include an additional 10% more for waste that installers charge. I had to point that out and have my estimate adjusted a second time because the Metlife adjuster conveniently left off the estimate. I left Metlife in November of 2016. About three years after my second claim. In those 3 years, my premiums more than doubled. In 2016, I contacted Metlife to get a reduction in premium. They said that not only can they not reduce it but I was receiving an increase because there was an across the board increase to account for a higher claim rate in 2016. Changing companies dropped my premium to less than half what Metlife wanted me to pay. Insurance is a license to steal.

Metlife Homeowners Company Information