4.1/5 (600 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Dairyland auto

Dairyland works with brokers to offer competitive rates for comprehensive auto coverage that meets drivers’ needs. The company specializes in auto, motorcycle and SR-22 insurance policies and accepts drivers with low credit scores or poor driving histories. It’s currently licensed in 21 states.

Pros

• Affordable
  • Offers SR-22 insurance
  • Accepts drivers with poor credit

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Discounts vary from state to state

Bottom Line

Dairyland offers competitive prices and discounts for its various auto coverage plans. It handles claims quickly and efficiently and has options for drivers with poor credit or driving history. It’s available in 21 states.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Dairyland auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dairyland auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dairyland auto?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

My BMW stolen. They suck. It’s been over 30 days. Still no help. I paid my insurance each mo over 2 yrs. I have been treated like a criminal from the 1st person I talk to. No rental car. Nothing. It took 3 days to talk to a real person. You get better treatment at the power company. Lesson learned the hard way. Stick with a known name. DairyLand should stay with the cows. Not worth the paper its wrote up on. Don’t go with Dairy Land. Bad faith.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Save yourself money and headaches, don’t use this insurance company. They are shady and only want your bucks. I purchased a truck in another state other than my residency. The dealer and lender for the truck insisted for me to acquire local NC insurance before taking owner of vehicle even though I already had insurance in place on my other vehicles. I was completely over the whole car buying experience with hassling and hours upon hours of waiting. So, I agreed to obtain a policy with Dairyland Insurance. Huge mistake!!!

They charged me a very high down payment. I figured, no worries. I’ll get most of all of it refunded when I switch back to my regular policy. I held the policy with Dairyland for a week total. They refunded zero dollars after several attempts to contact them to process the cancellation. They mentioned there was a penalty for canceling early. Funny, this was never mentioned when they immediately changed the high down payment. Crooks!!! I felt like I was waiting for DMV with a few failed attempts to make it to the counter even though it was on the phone. Yes, it was that painful and irritating!!! Awful customer service!!! Can’t imagine if I actually had to work with them on a claim. Please spread the word if you had a bad experience with this company also. They have a license to steal your hard earned money and you have no recourse.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I needed to purchase an FR22 policy to reinstate my drivers licence in Florida. I explained to the sales person that I had a vehicle and what I needed. She stated that they did not sell FR22 with auto coverage but a non-owner policy and I would need to purchase the FR22 with them and get regular coverage on my vehicle.

After the purchase I attempted to purchase coverage for my new vehicle to find out from all the other companies I called for quotes that they are not sold separately and is simply coverage providing Bodily injury liability, and property damage liability in high amounts and in fact is not even legal to have two insurance policies with the same coverage.

I immediately called Dairyland to cancel and they said they would need proof of insurance with another provider, which I did. They kept $24.36 of my payment (at this time I have not even received the refund yet.) They could not explain why but I tired of wrestling with the representative and gave up. They either are not knowledgeable about the products they sell or are purposely trying to scam people.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Don't get the insurance. Their customer service is horrible and they take your money without your consent and then cancel your policy without a reason and then don't refund any money back, don't waste your time with them.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

My son was involved in an accident with one of the insured drivers on 09/27/2019 @16:41pm. No injuries. Thank God. But the accident was caused because she made an ILLEGAL U-TURN at an intersection that has a sign posted NO U-TURNS. It has the symbol on it as well. Not only did she make the turn she stopped after doing said turn and my son hit her in the drivers side rear end. The police and the traffic investigator accessed the scene found her at fault. She is given a ticket. I call her insurance provider (Dairyland/Peak property) to file my claim the next day. The customer service representative took down my information and gave me a claims adjuster name and number.. Which she was available til Tues.

When I finally talked with her, she sent out a investigator to take pics of my car. And when the investigator was done she told me I should be hearing back from them soon. I gave them a few days. I called the claims adjuster on 10/03/2019 just to get a follow up on my claim.. Which she tells me she just received the police report that morning and she has file with their claims Dept. No liability. Bull. YOUR CLIENT CAUSED THE ACCIDENT AND NOW YOU'RE NOT GONNA PAY FOR MY CAR TO BE FIX. THE DEVIL IS A LIAR. I read the reviews and I see what folks are so pissed off at. Y'all are some incompetent jack rabbits!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I had to contact this company because this is the insurance the driver who hit us uses. Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. Completely uncaring employees who offered up below the minimum amount of information required. Spoke to them on Friday and then Tuesday, and on Tuesday they offer up they only do inspections on Monday and we need to wait another week. They didn't call back on the number we provided and instead left voicemails on an old non-checked number off of the insurance company paperwork. Adjuster was callous, curt, and uninterested listening to anything. I pity anyone that has to do business with this company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My car has been down for sometime now. I finally thought that I had gotten the problem fixed so I purchased insurance so I could drive it legally. Unfortunately my car problem persisted. I canceled the same day. Almost two weeks later I emailed customer service twice inquiring about cancellation and the refund that should have hit my bank account by that time. Luckily I did get a response but unfortunately they would take out more than half of what I paid. I am very disappointed as a broke college student trying to survive. To anyone who may be inquiring they have cancellation fees.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I have moved and cancelled my policy on the day it was paid. Only receive a fraction of my cost back and still received notice from California of non-coverage because of lapse of coverage from Dairyland. Do not purchase! One star because it wouldn't allow less.

Original review: July 26, 2019

They accepted me, took my money and decided to cancel my policy. They didn’t even have the decency give my down payment back. If they was going to cancel me a month later they should of never accepted me in the first place. Don’t go to them or believe what they talking about. They will charge you high down payment. Take your money and leave you to find someone else just to pay more money. They should of never accepted Me in the first place. Going to say they didn’t know it was that bad but read me everything on my record while giving me a quote their for they knew what they would getting into. They just wanted to take my money.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I was involved in an accident with someone insured by them. Tried to file a claim against their client for damages. It took 5 days, multiple calls/messages and finally a call to the supervisor to get any response. Their "recording equipment" was not working so they couldn't take an official statement but had me go through it anyway, saying that they would call me back and get an recorded statement later and that they would let me know their determination at that time. They never did either, so I had to file with my insurance co. and they will go to arbitration. Everybody loses in this scenario. Horrible company, should be investigated by the insurance watchdogs.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Charged me double for one month and can't explain to me why and still tell me I owe for the next month. They are stealing money from people. Terrible customer service. Do not use this company. I want my money back. This is unacceptable.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Policy **. Set up a new policy. They offer a good low rate. Gave a discount when I 1st sign up. After 6 months they increase my bill 150.82. No accidents, no tickets, no incidents. Had to talk to 3 people. They hung up on me. Had to call back, when ask why they told me that they change my policy and rate. Got no email, call or letter in the mail. I was given only one option which is to pay the extra fee plus 6 months in advance then they will call me back in a few days to tell me if they can or can't lower my bill back to what it was when I first signed up with them. So they want all my money now then wait for their answer at a later time and wanted to record me saying yes I authorize this huge lump payment which means I can dispute later so they canceled my policy the same day I called. Now looking for a new policy last minute.

Original review: July 4, 2019

For the record, I do not have a policy with Dairyland. This is my experience of being hit by one of their insured drivers. After my parked car was hit, we started the painful claims process. They gave me a representative who was on vacation the entire first week of this ordeal, making it extremely difficult to contact anybody who had any clue what was going on, and made it even more difficult for the collision shop when the estimate wasn't even right in the first place. The estimate was based on pictures that I took of the car, not an actual qualified professional who could have made a proper estimate right then and there. Different parts needed to be ordered, estimate needs redone, creates delays. Lack of communication between Dairyland and collision shop creates even more delays.

Even though NONE of these delays are my fault, today I get a call that they aren't paying for my rental anymore, giving me approximately 3 hours on a Wednesday to figure out how to handle the situation. Now, the financial responsibility for the rental is on me until my car is out of the shop. My PARKED car was hit, and now I am out of pocket because nobody has their act together! The way they have been constantly harassing me, calling several times a day while I'm at work because they can't reach the collision shop and putting the pressure on me to contact the rental car place or the collision shop. That's your job, not mine! This entire process sucks, it would have been easier if this was a hit and run because my insurance GEICO would have had this handled professionally AND they would have been courteous and HELPFUL through the process. If you were thinking of getting this insurance, don't do it. Garbage company.

Original review: July 2, 2019

So I was very skeptical about how my experience with Dairyland was going to be but everything carried out better than my worries. I was rear-ended by someone, at a red light, who carried Dairyland insurance. We called the police, he admitted fault and the report was issued. I called Dairyland that day, made a claim and spent about 30 minutes on the phone. Next day, the adjuster calls me and I don't answer because I was at work but I called back during lunch and he still didn't answer. After reading reviews I was afraid he was going to ignore my calls and my car would never get fixed. I called a second time and no answer. I called a third time and he finally answers, has me download an app to upload the pictures of where my car was hit and submit them. I do all this on Monday. He said I will be called by someone to give me the initial estimate. Next day, I do not receive a call.

I call my adjuster to check up on the status of my claim. I called three times and no answer. I called the next day and he answered on my third phone call. He said they deemed my car a total loss on Tuesday, which I had no knowledge of. He said I would receive a call the next day too from Michael to follow up and explain the next steps. The next day came by and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from Michael to explain to me how much I will receive and what is going to be done with my car. I then called Monday after they picked up my car, and my adjuster Doug happily provided me with a car rental reservation for the week until I find a car. This took one week! I am very happy of the outcome. I do think that my adjuster needs to be more aware of his phone though. All this happened in one week!

Original review: June 26, 2019

We had insurance with this company for a while. We started to get messed up bills from them then we overpaid them and tried to get the overpayment back and they kept giving us the runaround and lots of excuses so we gave them the benefit of doubt and told them to just go ahead and put it on the next billing. Well we decided to go with another company and they were so rude then I was told that we can not get a refund for the overpayment. I really think this company needs to be investigated. They are not good to do business with.

Original review: June 3, 2019

My wife was struck by one of their clients. I called and completed a lengthy interview. When it was my turn to ask a simple question “does your client have insurance?” the games began. First it was two days to two weeks for their “insurance investigation” which quickly turned a number of days later to “2 months” to complete. Dealt with their Stevens Point, WI location and spoke with Kara. Could not have been less helpful or dismissive. These folks should be investigated for trying to avoid their responsibility to accident victims. Now it’s time to hire a lawyer, something I really don’t like doing but they offer you no options.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I approached the organization as we were victims in an accident with one of their clients. The lack of communication was so unprofessional it shocked me. Until I spoke with Jessica **'s manager, there were no return calls. Any existing communications was so unpleasant it was disturbing. No matter what the organization's position is regarding a claim, it should consider that we are all not only potential clients but are individuals who for the most part have experienced a negative situation, regardless of the magnitude of the accident. So, empathy should be prominent. At minimum, professionalism which I can assure you was lacking. At this point, my insurance company is dealing with them.

Original review: April 22, 2019

First thing I would like to say if I can give it less than one star I totally would. Got myself into a car accident 3 weeks ago. It was not my fault. It was the other car ran a red light. I called my insurance immediately. They wrote down the report. They still have not called me back. It has been 3 weeks. My husband I have reached out to them at least a dozen of time. We left messages. Nobody has called us back. Unprofessional and rude. We are changing our car insurance tomorrow. I have never experienced nothing like this ever in car insurance. Please do not get this car insurance. They're horrible. I think it's a scam.

Original review: March 30, 2019

These people STEAL your money then refuse to refund it!!! They debit your account for funds you dont know about. Then will tell you it takes a week to refund my money that I STILL NEVER GOT BACK!! THEY ARE THIEF'S!!! I WILL BE FILING A FRAUDULENT CLAIM WITH MY BANK!! !

Original review: March 20, 2019

Big Error - Charged account 3xs. Dairyland had charged my account 3 times within a month for a payment that should've been ran only once. I have now acquired NSF fees and return item fees for this. Other payments that were suppose to go through my account I pay my bills have caused them to be returned due to this overpayment. I have taken to numerous Dairyland supervisors regarding this issue and no one seems to be pushing this error to get resolved. They don't seem to think they have fault in any of the fees I have acquired. The only thing that has been resolved is 1 payment of $365.98 to be returned and that's it. This error on Dairyland Insurance has me out $621.00 as of now. I just want this resolved and to cancel without any fees to leave. Im very disappointed how this all has been handled. I just want them to own up to what has been done and pay the $621.00 of fees and the last payment ran for the 3rd time.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Nobody would tell you there is a EARLY TERMINATION FEE if you do not look into their fine prints in their 20 pages policy documents. In the policy, it even rephrases the early cancellation fee as 'If the Named Insured or a premium finance company cancels this policy, the premium owed or premium refund due will be calculated according to the short rate provisions contained in our manuals.' Shady enough business. It even took the representative 20 mins to find out this term for me to defend themselves.

I was charged $138 bucks for early termination. And they can't even explain how this number comes from. 10%? 15%? 20% of owed premium? No one knows. And I was not even informed of this penalty when I was ready to cancel. This shady insurance company is completely blacklisted in my future options. Be careful if you ever wanna do business with them.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I am required by law to have SR-22 insurance in order to keep my license valid in AL. Because of this if my policy cancels my insurance is automatically suspended and it costs $150 to reinstate every time. Which is why I make sure I pay my bill on time every month. I was having mail at my AL address stolen so was forwarding it all the at GA my friend resides at to avoid being robbed of my important mail any further and bc of this Dairyland Auto canceled my policy AFTER I PAID A MONTH IN ADVANCE and bc I live with my mother in AL and had no bills in my name they told me to bring in a piece of mail with my name and AL address. I did this and they told me first my policy could be reinstated with no lapse so I would not have to pay $150 to reinstate then turned around and said they couldn't reinstate my policy but write a new one which means making another down payment and $150 to reinstate my license!!!

How can you write a new policy but not reinstate the original one!?! This company makes you sign a waiver before insuring you saying you cannot sue them and it's things like this that are the reason why they have this clause! Do not trust this company with your money for anything. They will ** you for all they can and then some!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have been on HOLD for 31 minutes and still holding to get an issue resolved. They have the longest wait times on the phone and added the wrong points to my husband's driving records which has caused the rates to go up on my auto policy. P.S Still on hold as we speak so I figured I should give them a review while I wait even longer on the phone.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Complete rip off. Very high premiums that if needed cover nothing! I get the runaround story when I ask about why my premiums are so high but never an answer. When my car was stolen they refused to cover anything. Not a penny after the $2000+ in premiums I had paid. Worst insurance ever.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This company is horrible. They way undervalued my car and refused to negotiate and tried to act as if they did me a favor. I would NOT BY ANY MEANS USE THIS INSURANCE COMPANY. They should be shut down. Dairyland I really hope I never have to deal with you again. You are the worst.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I got my bill today. Auto pay even. With not one ticket, accident or claim, my premium just jumped $80 a month. I was told "state revisions". I started calling other friends. Nobody else's insurance went up. They've decided. No state revisions. Look it up. I am looking for another insurer!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Kaitlyn in Claims Department cannot get anything done. She's been handling a claim for over a month now. She's very rude on the phone. She flat out hates her job. I would not recommend this insurance to anyone!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Filed a claim and they don’t respond to phone calls or emails. It has been 2 weeks. My car was involved in an accident. I pay my bill and hoped for a quick resolution. But not to respond to voice mails and emails is inexcusable.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This company should be shut down!!! They do not treat their insured people right and do not pay when their insured people have accidents. They should not be allowed to take another dime from customers. Stay far, far, away from these robbers! And the people on the phone are not one bit friendly and act like you are spending their money. They should not be in car insurance business for even one more day. If I could shut them down, I would!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

They send out cancellation notices with your monthly bill even though you have automatic payments set up. It’s like they are expecting you to not pay. It takes days to get a response and you have to give them a written request every time. Of all the auto insurance companies I have dealt with they are by far the worst.

Dairyland auto Company Information