4.36/5

Looking for travel insurance?

APRIL Travel Protection

APRIL Travel Protection makes travel insurance simple. Whether you are looking for single trip plans, multi trip plans, or trip cancellation plans, the team at APRIL Travel Protection is ready to assist you. Contact us today to get a quote or to learn more about our service!

Looking for travel insurance?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

APRIL Travel Protection Reviews

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I paid extra to cover my trip cancellation for any reason. I had to re book my flight due to some reasons which caused interruption fee from the airlines. From the policy documents instead of cancelling, if changed my flight trip interruption is covered under the cancellation which is now they are saying cancellation and cancellation for any reason is not the same which does not make sense to me.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Hurricane Dorain caused our cruise to be shortened from a 6 to 3 day cruise and subsequently the canceling of 3 port of calls. We are being told that because we still had 3 days of the cruise, they would only pay for a subset of the insured policy hiding behind calling it a "travel delay" so they do not have to fully pay. The offer was for less than the cost of our food and lodging for the 3 days while waiting to board the ship.

They also would not cover the 3 missed port of calls even though the policy specifically states they would. They claimed that because Carnival offered all passengers a future cruise credit, they would not reimburse for that and if we wanted to collect this, we would have to wait a year until the future cruise credit expired then get documented paperwork from Carnival showing we did not use it. Only then would they pay as the policy clearly shows they should. Despite my best effort, none of my creditors will accept future payment promises and simply laugh when I tell them that's how I plan to pay. It took over a month and 7 voicemails to get this far. I have filed a complaint with the Florida Insurance Commission and hope others do the same.

Right from their policy documentation: "MISSED PORT OF CALL COVERAGE. If you are a passenger on a regularly scheduled ship registered to carry passengers (not including vessels owned by you or your Traveling Companion) and an itinerary change occurs after departure on your cruise causing the ship to miss a Port Of Call, we will pay you up to the amount in the Schedule per missed Port Of Call. Missed Port Of Call must be caused by or result from: a. natural disaster; b. adverse weather; c. hijacking; d. unannounced strike; e. a civil disorder; f. mechanical breakdown; g. a Terrorist Act."

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

This source does NOT refund money for not being able to attend. Do not let this fool you. The only circumstances it covers is extreme sickness, work conditions, or family conditions. You need proof to get refunds on the things you purchase through them. My girlfriend and I had some family issues that came up and I wasn't allowed to refund the tickets. I wasted $250 on an event I assumed was covered. My fault for assuming that, but so lame that there isn't a service to protect you against issues that you might not be able to get a "professional's" note from. I will no longer be purchasing these tickets. This product isn't full insurance, it's only for doctor notes and work layoffs. The likelihood of something like this to happen to get that refund isn't worth the risk of losing all that money you paid for on the event.

Original review: June 20, 2019

APRIL is just a name. They don't have anyone working at this company. Everything is done through other companies. Reporting a claim takes forever. After that you will need to submit a mountain of evidence to wait and wait and finally just be denied for some bogus reason somewhere in the fine print. I know insurance companies thrive on not paying so please check your policy fine print. It's hard to compare using just comparison sites because the fine print is really what makes the difference. Do not recommend. Will never use again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I purchased April insurance for a flight round trip from Pensacola to Ft Lauderdale that I paid for, for my girlfriend. I called and spoke to a representative of April so I wouldn't be confused. A few weeks later I learned she would not be able to make the trip due to work so I contacted the claim department. She told me I didn't qualify because I didn't pay for the $4 upgrade when I purchased the insurance. I don't know what changed from the time I purchased this insurance until now but suddenly I'm out my money for the flight, and the money I paid towards the insurance because I can't even use it. I've been scammed!

APRIL Travel Protection response

The plan you purchased is one of the few on the market offering protection for work-related issues via a Cancel For Work Reasons upgrade. Unfortunately, you did not choose that upgrade. You’re still eligible to file a claim & take advantage of one of the 20+ reasons it permits for cancellation. The policy also included a 10-day free look period that examine the coverage & receive a full refund if you determine during that time that it’s not right for you.

J.Garces

APRIL

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We've been buying travel insurance for 20 years now. We had elderly parents, and one never knows what's going to happen. We've bought eight policies from APRIL, the most recent one was for a cruise. I had some medical issues and I called APRIL the other day and explained it. They're going to be sending me a form so I can get my claim.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My experience with APRIL was great. I was directed to them through Travel Noire and the APRIL rep was very helpful and patient. She made sure I understood what I needed to do so I felt completely at ease and confident in my decision to go with them. And the instructions as well as the requirements for filing the claim were very clear. I was able to submit a claim and had it acknowledged and then I received the check within two months. It was all very quick and I never doubted what was happening at any point. I sent a follow-up email asking for confirmation and status, and they responded. There was open communication throughout the whole process. I commend their simplicity and the fact that all their information was readily available, not only through the representatives but online as well.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to safeguard your vacation. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know you found our customer service team readily available and claims process easy to navigate. We hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I'll continue to use APRIL Travel Protection. They were much better, night and day, compared to Travel Guard, in terms of coverage and the ability to work with them and work through some tough spots. Their customer service was quite a bit more personal and better. The representative asked if he could call me Jim and he announced himself by his first name. April Travel was able to keep in touch with me, facilitate the claim and make sure that pre-existing wasn’t an issue with my wife. We bought the insurance within the required 14 days after booking our trip, and there was no question about anything. They said they would work through a couple of things, for us to send some documents and they would get us a check. And it happened relatively quick, within a couple of months.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection to protect your event. We are pleased to know we met your expectations with both our service and product.We hope to continue to insure your future events.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

A friend of mine told me about APRIL Travel Protection and I had a claim that they serviced. I ripped a calf muscle while I was on a trip and they covered me for the lost part of my journey. When I filed that claim, the reps were reasonably timely and everything was good. Overall, I have a good impression of APRIL and they're a good option to use. I was pleased with their service and I would use them again.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are sorry to learn about your unfortunate accident at the end of your ski holiday, but happy that your Trip Interruption benefit was available, and of use. We hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I buy travel insurance considering I'm 70 years old, and I want to be able to come back to the country if something happens to me. I always go to InsureMyTrip.com, have used different insurance providers and have done fine with everyone that I've gotten. For my Israel trip, I got an insurance from APRIL Travel Protection, and of the very few times that I've ever had to put in a claim, APRIL handled my claim very nicely. I just had to give them all the forms they asked for and then they processed things in about a month. They then sent me a check and paid exactly as they said they would. APRIL's reps were very helpful and they provided great service, and the insurance was at a reasonable cost.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know we met your expectations with our service and product. We hope to insure many of your future vacations.

APRIL Travel Protection expert review by Matthew Brodsky

APRIL International offers multiple travel insurance plans for anyone traveling internationally. Coverage includes medical, death and disability, trip cancellation, baggage and more. It has a presence across 37 countries to help cover your single-trip and annual multi-trip plans.

• Economy single-trip plan: The economy single-trip plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to situations like injury, sickness, death, supplier default, weather, natural disasters, terrorism, military duty, strikes, and more. You get emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible and a pre existing condition waiver if you purchase your policy within 14 days of making your trip deposit or payment. Finally, you get tip interruption and evacuation coverage of up to $250,000. Free quotes are available online.

• VIP single-trip plan: This plan is great for families taking a trip lasting up to 60 days and wants higher coverage limits and optional upgrades. This plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to all the situations included in our Economy Plan as well as pregnancy, job loss, traffic accident, hurricane warning and more. You can cancel your trip for any reason and still get 75 percent of the costs covered. You get medical coverage of $250,000, trip interruption and evacuation coverage of $550,000 and renter’s collision insurance for $30.

• Universal multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips each year lasting up to 90 days each. The plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation coverage, including medical and non-medical of up to $100,000 and emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible. You’ll also get baggage coverage of up to $1,000 covering damage, lost baggage and delays. Quotes are available online.

• Elite multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips a year lasting up to 90 days each and want higher coverage limits. The Elite plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation benefits including medical and nonmedical of up to $250,000 and emergency medical benefits coverage of up to $100,000 with no deductible. You also receive baggage coverage of up to $2,500 for delayed, lost or damaged baggage.

• Trip cancellation plan: This plan is designed for people who are concerned about their trip being cancelled due to weather or natural disasters, unexpected employment issues, terrorism and the health of relatives. You can purchase an Any Reason Cancellation upgrade to cover 100 percent of the cost of your trip for any reason. Specifics include: Must be under 80 years old to purchase, days traveled must not exceed 60 days and the maximum trip must not cost more than $20,000 per person. Check out a full list of details online and get a free quote.

• Best for: single-trip and multi-trip international travelers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky