Call toll free
4.46/5
Based on 99 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

APRIL Travel Protection makes travel insurance simple. Whether you are looking for single trip plans, multi trip plans, or trip cancellation plans, the team at APRIL Travel Protection is ready to assist you. Contact us today to get a quote or to learn more about our service!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

101 APRIL Travel Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

We used another travel protection provider when we went to Africa several years ago. We had looked at new benefits and the current company we went with, APRIL Travel Protection, seemed to do what we needed the best. Our experience with APRIL was easy and everything went great -- from talking to people, getting information sent over to getting the paperwork, and faxing it in. There was a lot of stuff to fill out, but it was thorough, which we completely expected.

However, there was a lag time of hearing whether people were actually looking through it, but once we contacted people, they did a good job of letting us know where we were in the application process. Trip cancellation and sickness are our motivation when getting travel protection, but luggage loss is a big one for us. We'll use APRIL again, for sure, and we plan on trying to go back to Vietnam again next year. I would also tell my friends to go for APRIL as it's better to be safe than sorry.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service. Please note that we are in the process of upgrading our claims technology and processes to provide better notification and status updates both automatically to your email Inbox and through our new client claims portal. We hope to have the opportunity to show you these new features on an upcoming trip.

APRIL Travel Protection

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 10, 2018

APRIL Travel Protection was recommended to us. I bought the travel insurance online and the service rep was good. However, when we had to make a medical claim, it took way longer and way too many follow-ups on my part to get it handled.

Original review: July 8, 2018

We purchased APRIL Travel Protection online as we wanted to make sure we had insurance in case we would be in a foreign country. My daughter is allergic to fish and she was at a buffet. One time at a resort, she thought she was grabbing chicken fingers and it was fish sticks. She had a minor reaction where she was nauseous for three days, so we brought her to the medical clinic there, where she was seen by a doctor and given an anti-nausea medication. We submitted a claim and APRIL's representative was very thorough with what she needed in order to expedite it. She said she would email us and told us what documents we needed to send for reimbursement. Travel insurance is nice to have in case something happens.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation.Glad to hear everything worked out for your daughter. We hope to continue to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 7, 2018

We had to cancel a trip because my wife had surgery. The cancellation process with APRIL Travel Protection went well. It was the first time I ever had to do it. I’m not the brightest bulb in the chandelier and I got through it. The service reps were helpful. Some of the paperwork was a little tricky so I asked them and they provided me with the information I needed. It was a lot of paperwork but eventually, I muddled through it and we got our money back. I was happy with my experience but it could have been expedited a little quicker.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We're happy you had a positive experience and we look forward to insuring your future travels.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We usually book our trips far out in advance, our children are in their child-bearing years, and our parents are already elderly so we buy travel insurance. We purchased April through InsureMyTrip.com. And we already have some of our own other insurance but with April, I was able to choose to cover what I wanted to cover which brought the cost down.

So far, we had to file claims with April twice. We had to cancel the same trip twice in a row and both times, I had to call to get things moving. While everything went smoothly the first time, the second time took forever and then it ended up in some kind of a third party and when that happened, it got solved right away. While everything worked out okay in the end, it was not as seamless as one would have thought. Both times, there were deaths in the family and we had all the documentation get to them as quickly as we could but I find it frustrating that whoever handled stuff down in Florida didn't email back any kind of confirmation unless we called back again.

All in all, we've only made three claims with travel insurance companies and April was the only one I had to really sit on. I like people to let me know when something is received since you're saying a lot of very personal private information when you fill out the forms, especially in this last one that we had to do. That was particularly difficult because it was my daughter-in-law's information and I was very uncomfortable sending her medical stuff because it's not mine to share. So I needed confirmation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had a travel insurance plan with April Travel Protection three years ago, which I had to cancel. But the people that I spoke with were very helpful. I'd recommend April Travel Protection.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your kind words, and hope you will consider APRIL Travel Protection for your future travel needs.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We rarely use travel protection, but we're getting older now. So, we thought, "Well, we should." The people who placed the vacation suggested APRIL. When we purchased our April insurance plan, we did everything over the phone with our agent. And APRIL was absolutely awful. My husband got cancer and we had to cancel it. They put us through the wringer and didn't believe anything we told them. We had to provide all kinds of paperwork, which were impossible to get. When we finally got it settled months later, they took off a big percentage for whatever they did. They took off handling fees and other kinds of things. So, with whatever we paid, it came in at 60% that we got back. It was ridiculous. It didn't help that the discussion between APRIL and the person who placed it was difficult as well and we had to go back and forth between the two entities. I will never use them again.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We were taking a trip on our own and we needed trip insurance. I went online and looked for insurance companies and there was one site that listed the five best travel insurance providers. April Travel Protection's rating came up good and we gave them a whirl. Initially, when we had to cancel our trip last May, I called April and I told them what had happened and they sent me the forms. We filled them out then we had a doctor fill out his portion and sent it back to them.

Before I turned around, we had our money less the amount that Tauck, which was the travel company, was holding as a deposit for a future trip, which prompted us to have to file this time because they hold the money for a year. However, their ploy is that the money that they're holding cannot be used as a deposit on the next trip but used at the back end as a final payment, so they would want another deposit. When I heard that, I asked them if they were telling me that if anything should go wrong and we have to cancel this trip again, that the first deposit will be gone and then they're gonna use the second deposit as a deposit on a trip for a year later. They said that it was right but I disagreed with them.

We booked the trip with Vacations To Go through Tauck. The fellow I was working with was very good. I asked him why didn't I get my $1,200 and he said that he contacted Tauck. April Travel didn't want anybody double-dipping so he found and suggested that it would be best if I waited until that year is up and then apply for the balance that had been held which we just did. I was speaking to Joanna, but everybody at April Travel has been very cooperative, easy to work with and answered any questions. They seemed to be very reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend April to anybody. I would certainly use them again if we'd take a trip that requires insurance.

Original review: July 2, 2018

On a cruise that we had about 18 months ago, we had to use our APRIL travel insurance as my wife got an earache. The rep that I dealt with at the time was very nice and told us the name of the two hospitals in London which were APRIL-known approved providers. That was proactive on their part to be able to provide that type of information. We then paid for our expense with a credit card and then APRIL reimbursed it. About six years ago, however, we had to cancel a trip prior to going. I booked my own tickets on Delta from Cincinnati to London and we were gonna get on the ship at Southampton. And then my wife had to get a knee surgery and we couldn't go. I also had APRIL insurance then but nobody wanted to reimburse me the $3,000 worth of airline fees, thus the finger-pointing between APRIL and Delta. It was a little bit disappointing but they were just probably following the normal rules in what was reimbursable or not.

We've had friends who were in a foreign country and they were in an automobile accident. And so even if it was on a bus and one has to be air-evaced from Barbados back to Miami or worse, to be in Botswana, laying in a hut for two days with a broken leg with a bone sticking out and trying to get air-evaced from Botswana back to Cincinnati could be 25 grand. So, we get travel protection for instances like trip cancellation and medical needs. We usually try and get to 50,000 plus on medical and return to appropriate medical care in the US type thing.

On our trip after 9/11, we went to China and a woman fell the first day and broke her upper arm and shoulder. She had to be air-evaced. They put a Chinese doctor on board and flew with a nurse to the Philippines and then Philippines all the way back to LAX. That was impressive because she had the insurance too. Being by herself and not speaking the language, the insurance people just jumped right on in and took care of everything for her. That was an advantage for everyone. And from the minimal experience that we've had with APRIL, the $80 thing when they picked up the tab for an office visit for an additional work in my wife's ear and some eardrop, we could tell the people interested in APRIL that they did not drop it like a "Nope, we're not doing anything" type of situation.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are pleased to know we have met your expectations, and continue to insure your travel needs. We are looking into your concerns from several years ago and will be happy to follow up with you and share our findings.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 1, 2018

My wife and I travel a lot. Having a travel insurance at my age is smart since the world is not particularly safe. On one trip, my wife broke her ankle and so there was a fair amount of expenses on that. Also one time, I almost caught pneumonia when about half the people on a ship had something. I got it and for 20 days, I was not feeling very good. There were medical expenses and APRIL Travel Protection paid them right away.

I'm satisfied with APRIL Travel Protection. They're cheaper than others and what I had to pay was reasonable. I also got all the information that I needed which was easy to read and I didn't feel ignored. Having them paid off and I almost broke in even. I also have the stress less service, which I didn't use, but I was glad to have.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to know we have met your expectations. We're pleased you mentioned our Stress Less service as it is a unique benefit we offer. We hope you will consider APRIL when making your future travel plans.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have a five-year-old kid and I don't want any unplanned interruptions to affect my schedule so I get travel insurance for my trips. I purchased one from APRIL Travel Protection directly on their site. I read a good review on one of the travel websites I visit frequently so I decided to give it a try. When I called them about filing a claim, their rep took down my information and then processed it quickly. It was awesome and I'm completely satisfied. I would recommend APRIL to my friends and family. It's a great service to get for every trip.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are pleased that you were satisfied with our product and we were able to meet your expectations. We appreciate your support and look forward to insuring your future travel plans.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 29, 2018

The tour group that I was going to travel with strongly suggested that I get a travel insurance. I looked up online to see what were the best companies and settled in on APRIL Travel. They had the best reviews. I had a terrific experience signing up with them and then they handled my situation very well. They were efficient and excellent when I had to collect on the policy. I was happy. I would definitely recommend APRIL without hesitation and would tell people that I was well satisfied and they would be too.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I liked the price and reviews of April Travel Protection Insurance. So, I purchased insurance from them online through InsureMyTrip.com. It was with the whole Delta Travel snafu in April and I ended up filing a claim. I spoke with someone by phone twice and they were fine. They directed me to a policy then they confirmed receipt of my claim. But I never got any question or communication that it was approved. Fortunately, I was paid within a couple of weeks, so that part exceeded my expectations. I thought it’d be a long process that I would have to stay on top of, so that was good.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection with your vacation. We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience with our claims process, and are pleased to know we exceeded your expectations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 27, 2018

We use travel insurance every time we travel. We pay a few thousand dollars for a trip and we don’t know what can happen while on a cruise or while driving a car cross-country. And when we’re in foreign countries, our insurance here normally doesn’t cover so we don’t want something to happen and not have some type of coverage.

We purchased APRIL Travel insurance when we paid our final payment in December. Come January, I was having all the pain and the surgery ended up on the day that we were gonna sail. So, we cancelled the trip and the April insurance kept insinuating that the pain was a pre-conditioned. But there was no way I would pay for a trip if I was in much pain. It was very difficult to get an answer. When I called their number, the service reps told us that the information was still being considered but they didn’t have any information. After many calls and getting the runaround, they were telling me that the person doesn’t work in the office and they didn’t have the information. Also, they said that they were just customer service and they don’t get anything until the information is given to them. They also wanted all the doctors that I had seen for six months but my doctors wouldn’t call back people whom they don’t know.

I was left hanging and they were trying to get information about something that didn’t even relate to what the problem was. I felt that they were trying to deny me rather than help me. They had to get somebody to finally take a look. So, I called the guy on my letter and he referred me to a person who could help me. I had many follow-ups to finally get to the person who was helpful. I had a traumatic experience with APRIL Travel and they held out until June before they paid us. I will never use them again.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We wanted some protection overseas in case we got hurt and purchased an April Travel Protection plan online.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your support and hope to insure your future travel needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 24, 2018

I was flying to New Zealand and it was really an expensive trip. I always get a travel insurance just in case something happens as I don’t want to lose out much money. I purchased an APRIL Travel Protection insurance online. I got stuck in Taiwan for a day and a half ‘cause of a missed connection, then they lost my luggage for about a week so I had to buy all of my stuff. I filed a claim which was really easy and ended up getting paid for all the stuff. I just had to email APRIL some receipts and that was that. It was all simple and good. Their reps were nice and helpful too.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We're glad to hear that after the rough start to your holiday, you were able to easily file a claim for reimbursement for your out of pocket expenses. Thank you for the kind words about our reps!

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 23, 2018

APRIL Travel Protection was very easy to work with when we ended up having to cancel a trip due to illness. My spouse has health problems. But even though there was no indication initially that there might be a problem, we also have aging parents and we were spending a lot of money on the trip. So, I wanted to make sure that we were insured in case anything happens. I found APRIL Travel Protection on My Trip Insurance, and then I purchased the insurance plan directly from APRIL.

When I filed the claim, APRIL dealt with it very straightforwardly. All I did was call them and they sent me the information. It did take me some time to compile the entire claim together. But once I did it, there was certainly no difficulty in receiving the reimbursement from the insurance. Mine was also a complicated case because it was a number of different components and some had been partially reimbursed because I’d gotten refunds, and APRIL didn’t have any problem with it.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are pleased your claims reimbursement experience was positive, and hope to insure your future vacations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 22, 2018

I will never have April Travel Protection's insurance again. The airlines lost our luggage and we missed all of our flights. Consequently, we missed the first day of the whole cruise. Eventually, my travel partner, the other teacher that I travel with, got her reimbursement check for $250. I had the filed the claim back on January 8th and I dealt with Alexandria, April's rep. I sent copies of every single paper that I had to the regular place and her department. She claimed that she didn’t get all the stuff and that I was unwilling to send further documentation. For some reason, the paperwork went to a different department. I told her to tell me what she needed and I had sent everything. Even my travel agent Edwina had to deal with her and she gave her a hard time. Also, my emails would show that it would usually take a week to hear back from her.

Alexandria also claimed that they never sent a check to my friend and we have a copy of the check and it took until April to get my money back because I had to go through customer relations with Viking Cruise to get them involved. Even more, we got somebody named Nick from Viking Cruises to deal with it and all of a sudden about three weeks later, I had my check. With the very last cruise I took, we filed a claim and I didn’t have any need to file anything, it was automatic and we had no problems getting it. I will never deal with April again and I will tell everybody that I know that travels what I went through with them. I'm going on another cruise in November and I'm getting Allianz through myself.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have used different travel insurance providers over the years. They all seemed reputable and some a little less difficult to deal with than others, but April was satisfactory. Their availability and cost seemed appropriate. One time, there was a trip I had which had to be canceled because of health reasons. My wife was having an issue and once that we substantiated the problem with letters from the physician, etc. they paid the claim. They were pretty reasonable about it.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your feedback regarding your claims experience, and hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 16, 2018

My boyfriend had used APRIL Travel in the past. He gave one to me. I was motivated to have travel insurance because of the international stuff. You never know what may happen and it was for a longer trip. I've had some email correspondence with a claim that I had. And it was very easy and very quick. The reps handled the claim very well. It was a very good experience overall. I'll use them again next time I go somewhere.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We're pleased your reimbursement experience was quick and easy. We look forward to insuring your future travels!

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought a plan from April Travel Protection at the tour company. They were the ones they recommended. Overall, I had a good experience with them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We're pleased you had a positive experience and look forward to insuring your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 14, 2018

We've been traveling a lot for years and I've had so many cruises. I've used TravelPro for protection and other providers, too, but April Travel Protection is very superior compared to all providers I've used. I had two experiences with lawsuits and one was bad with another provider, but April was very good. Travelpro was quite expensive and I used them when we had a fire on our ship and we lost all of our clothing. I had a complete list of everything in my suitcase because I always take pictures and we never found everything. My sister had the same policy and she had some new items in our stateroom. They hired a company and things got sent to wrong places. All we got off was with the clothes on our back and I ended up with a man's shoe and clothes that were too big for me.

They got our passport for us and we were shipped home. I had a terrible time going through to get Travelpro to reimburse me and they never fully reimbursed me for all the things that were lost. They said that I was coming home anyway, so therefore, they changed the travel arrangement. So, they would not pay anymore and I had to pay more. Everything was a mess.

And then, I booked a travel on Royal Clipper to go to The Grenadines. I had an accident just before I went and in the package I purchased, I had three days before the cruise. I had a doctor check me the day I left on my cruise and he said I had a concussion. He said he'd check me on Friday and I'd leave on Saturday. If I was not okay by Saturday, I'd have to cancel. He'd release me if I went on the cruise and just rest. So, I promised him I would rest. I documented everything and my doctor signed off. I had stitches in my head, I stayed out of the sun and I stayed on the ship and relaxed.

I filed my claim with APRIL and their reps handled the situation very well. When I first did it, they came back and asked for some extra documentation which I had to make sure of the dates and the doctor. They also wanted a copy of all my receipts. It did not take very long and they sent me a check. I came back home and saw my own doctors, but they paid my doctor's bill upfront and for everything that I had abroad. I didn't have to file with Medicare or with my other insurance company. I was very pleased with APRIL.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are sorry for the unfortunate medical emergency you experienced while on your cruise, but happy to learn you were so pleased with our services. Wishing you good health.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 13, 2018

I purchased my travel insurance plan from Online Vacation Center and APRIL was the only option I was given. I filed a claim 18 months ago and had positive interactions with some of their reps. The claim was for my wife who got pancreatic cancer and was gonna live for about 10 weeks. The cruise was gonna depart January 3rd, and we got a doctor's certificate that said she was dying and couldn't go on the cruise. So, I sent the doctor's certificate and they filled out the paperwork. And within 30 days or so, I got the full amount of the refund.

So, take the travel insurance if you think you’re gonna be at risk of not being able to go. APRIL's coverage seems to be rather comprehensive in terms of people who would die or get into trouble, or if it’s an extended family kind of situation. Reading the document that I did at the time, I was pleased since I was gonna file a claim. Also, if there was a catastrophe with one of those individuals who are near and dear to you, and your cruise conflicts with that so you want to call it off, APRIL seems to be agreeable to refunding the cruise fare which is what you want.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased April Travel Protection out of Online Vacation because the travel agent put me up with them. Prior to April, I have used Princess, Royal Caribbean and several others. April, however, was a little bit more expensive. Nevertheless, other than that, I would recommend them.

Original review: June 10, 2018

My husband's mother is 96 and mine is 95. On the day before we were supposed to go out on a very big trip to South America, his mother had a massive stroke and lost almost all her vision that night when I was getting ready to check in so we had to cancel everything. Our overall experience with April Travel Protection was excellent. They were wonderful, efficient, fast and they paid a claim for us.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We’re in our 70's and we realized that a lot of things can happen so we normally buy travel insurance when we go on trips. My wife and I had APRIL Travel Protection as our insurance provider during our trip to South America. We purchased the plan from Online Vacation Center and during our trip, APRIL did us right. The trip was so long and we had the flu. My wife worked with their representatives and I didn't hear anything negative from her.

Original review: June 8, 2018

When we started using Online Vacation, we switched to APRIL since Online goes with them. Also, we weren't happy with our previous provider. So far, we've been very happy with APRIL. We had a bad medical year. We had to cancel one cruise because I broke my ankle and that was fully refunded in a very timely manner. We also had to cancel the next cruise because I had to have an emergency hysterectomy and that too was totally refunded very timely.

Then, my husband developed cellulitis when we were on the cruise ship and he wound up spending every morning hooked up to an IV in the medical center, which ended up being extremely expensive. We contacted APRIL to find out what we needed to do to and they said that if we had been on land, they would’ve paid for the medical services. But because we were on the ship, they said it would have to be a reimbursement. We knew that and we were fine with that. So, they told us what needed to be done so we would be able to collect when we returned. The total cost was to the tune of $3000 and cruise lines don't deal with medical insurance so it was part of our bill when we got off the ship. Then, we just had to submit the billing information from the cruise line to APRIL and once again, they totally refunded our output.

However, during our New Zealand trip, it seemed like every other day we were getting a new policy from APRIL and each policy had another number. But it didn’t seem like anything was changing so we were afraid that was making a huge computer file. Online said it was APRIL's fault but APRIL said it was Online and that never was resolved.

Other than that, each time I have called APRIL with a claim, they’ve been very helpful. Mabel seems to be the point person that I’ve spoken to each time I’ve had to put a claim in and since I’ve filed three claims times two because it was for my husband and me, I spoke with her quite a bit. She was always very professional, very concise, and to the point. She gave me the information I needed without making me jump me through hoops and was able to facilitate the claims that we put in. This was our 38th cruise and I would not go anywhere without APRIL. We were at the point where we were going to ask why we were paying for an insurance we’ve never used. But we’re getting older so we will never travel without it.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We've been with the same travel agent for 23 years and only in the last 12 years or so, because of our age, that they recommended APRIL Travel Protection. Whenever we go on a cruise, April Insurance is the one we sign up for and we feel very comfortable with it. We're going on three cruises this year, in September, October, November, and again in March and April 2019, and we have April Insurance for all three of those cruises.

April offers a great deal of protection, especially if we have to be transported off the ship. The policy is very comprehensive and it seems that it will serve anything that happens to us while we're outside the United States. It's a typical lawyer thing, but I downloaded the policy a couple of times just to read it and I know what it says. And whether I understand it or not, if something were to happen to us, I have the funds to take care of it myself, but it's just to know the travel agent is to back me up and I can put a claim in to recover the funds.

I've had a good experience with the APRIL reps. I've had a couple of claims and after about a month, I got hold of a representative who said I submitted the wrong forms. So she sent me the right forms and I filled them out, and it was about 30 days later when the claim was settled. So, I've had very positive feedback with the people when I called them. And although it's only been twice in many, many years, it's been very nice to talk to these people. I have talked very positively about the insurance to people who I'm cruising with, and I felt pretty good on that. We're very happy and I'm quite satisfied so, I'm staying with APRIL Travel Protection and I would recommend them.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I purchased April insurance for a pair of concert tickets for my wife's birthday on November 11th 2017. We ended up getting the flu and not being able to attend. I called in the following day to make a claim, received the forms, and returned them all within an hour. They requested a doctor's note and I informed the agent that I did not see a doctor since I wasn't able to leave the house with my flu. He just shrugged it off and kept going with his speech. The next day I received an email requesting a doctor's note. I emailed back the same response that I gave the agent that I did not go to the doctor.

Fast forward a month later and I've heard nothing back. So I call in and ask what the status of my claim is. They tell me that it takes 45 business days to process a claim. Weird but I wait the amount of time they requested and gave them a callback. The person I talk to says that my agent Sergio is the only one who can help me with this, but he is out of the office and will give me a callback the following day. I do not get a call and this cycle repeats another three times with the same result. I end up emailing the company from the only other contact I had from them letting them know it has been almost five months now and I can't get anyone to tell me what's going on with my claim. They email me back a week later telling me they will find out.

A month later I get a voicemail from Jessica at a company called Broadspire (I guess it's a company that handles their claim) and after leaving several messages over a series of weeks I get on the phone with her. She basically tells me that since I didn't have a doctor's note that they wouldn't be able to process the claim. I tell her I had the flu and wasn't able to leave my house that day and on top of that the flu isn't necessarily something you need to be seen by a doctor for. She then lets me know that it's in the terms and I could have gone the following day to get the note (this pissed me off because my original agent Sergio didn't tell me that at all or I would have just done that to save this headache). We end up going back and forth until she ends up sending it to upper management for review with some notes of the situation so far.

That was a month ago. I have not been able to get her to contact me back until a few minutes ago. She said it's still under review and she will email me when they reach a decision. I don't even care about the money at this point or if it gets denied. I just want some resolution! It's been about eight months of pulling teeth just to get someone to contact me! This is the single worst company I have ever dealt with and strongly advise anyone considering using them to consider another option. If I could go back in time I simply wouldn't have purchased the coverage when it popped up after my ticket purchase. I would be $10 richer in money, a few days of my life back, and a lot less raised blood pressure. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake!

Original review: June 6, 2018

We're at the age when things happen to us now and I’ve used different travel insurance providers from time to time with the primary concern of medical coverage and medical evacuation when we're outside the US territories. I had two claims with APRIL Travel Protection over a couple of years and with my most recent one, I accumulated all the paperwork and I was able to settle it by scanning the materials and emailing them, rather than having to use US mail. So, it was very convenient. And once I got them, the agent that I was working with approved them but he said that because of the amount, it had to be approved by a secondary person and it might take a few days,which it did and then, they issued a check. It was handled in a very timely matter and the service reps I dealt with were satisfactory.

APRIL Travel Protection expert review by Matthew Brodsky

APRIL International offers multiple travel insurance plans for anyone traveling internationally. Coverage includes medical, death and disability, trip cancellation, baggage and more. It has a presence across 37 countries to help cover your single-trip and annual multi-trip plans.

• Economy single-trip plan: The economy single-trip plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to situations like injury, sickness, death, supplier default, weather, natural disasters, terrorism, military duty, strikes, and more. You get emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible and a pre existing condition waiver if you purchase your policy within 14 days of making your trip deposit or payment. Finally, you get tip interruption and evacuation coverage of up to $250,000. Free quotes are available online.

• VIP single-trip plan: This plan is great for families taking a trip lasting up to 60 days and wants higher coverage limits and optional upgrades. This plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to all the situations included in our Economy Plan as well as pregnancy, job loss, traffic accident, hurricane warning and more. You can cancel your trip for any reason and still get 75 percent of the costs covered. You get medical coverage of $250,000, trip interruption and evacuation coverage of $550,000 and renter’s collision insurance for $30.

• Universal multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips each year lasting up to 90 days each. The plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation coverage, including medical and non-medical of up to $100,000 and emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible. You’ll also get baggage coverage of up to $1,000 covering damage, lost baggage and delays. Quotes are available online.

• Elite multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips a year lasting up to 90 days each and want higher coverage limits. The Elite plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation benefits including medical and nonmedical of up to $250,000 and emergency medical benefits coverage of up to $100,000 with no deductible. You also receive baggage coverage of up to $2,500 for delayed, lost or damaged baggage.

• Trip cancellation plan: This plan is designed for people who are concerned about their trip being cancelled due to weather or natural disasters, unexpected employment issues, terrorism and the health of relatives. You can purchase an Any Reason Cancellation upgrade to cover 100 percent of the cost of your trip for any reason. Specifics include: Must be under 80 years old to purchase, days traveled must not exceed 60 days and the maximum trip must not cost more than $20,000 per person. Check out a full list of details online and get a free quote.

• Best for: single-trip and multi-trip international travelers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky