Call toll free
4.49/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

APRIL Travel Protection makes travel insurance simple. Whether you are looking for single trip plans, multi trip plans, or trip cancellation plans, the team at APRIL Travel Protection is ready to assist you. Contact us today to get a quote or to learn more about our service!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

112 APRIL Travel Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We've been buying travel insurance for 20 years now. We had elderly parents, and one never knows what's going to happen. We've bought eight policies from APRIL, the most recent one was for a cruise. I had some medical issues and I called APRIL the other day and explained it. They're going to be sending me a form so I can get my claim.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My experience with APRIL was great. I was directed to them through Travel Noire and the APRIL rep was very helpful and patient. She made sure I understood what I needed to do so I felt completely at ease and confident in my decision to go with them. And the instructions as well as the requirements for filing the claim were very clear. I was able to submit a claim and had it acknowledged and then I received the check within two months. It was all very quick and I never doubted what was happening at any point. I sent a follow-up email asking for confirmation and status, and they responded. There was open communication throughout the whole process. I commend their simplicity and the fact that all their information was readily available, not only through the representatives but online as well.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to safeguard your vacation. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know you found our customer service team readily available and claims process easy to navigate. We hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I'll continue to use APRIL Travel Protection. They were much better, night and day, compared to Travel Guard, in terms of coverage and the ability to work with them and work through some tough spots. Their customer service was quite a bit more personal and better. The representative asked if he could call me Jim and he announced himself by his first name. April Travel was able to keep in touch with me, facilitate the claim and make sure that pre-existing wasn’t an issue with my wife. We bought the insurance within the required 14 days after booking our trip, and there was no question about anything. They said they would work through a couple of things, for us to send some documents and they would get us a check. And it happened relatively quick, within a couple of months.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection to protect your event. We are pleased to know we met your expectations with both our service and product.We hope to continue to insure your future events.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

A friend of mine told me about APRIL Travel Protection and I had a claim that they serviced. I ripped a calf muscle while I was on a trip and they covered me for the lost part of my journey. When I filed that claim, the reps were reasonably timely and everything was good. Overall, I have a good impression of APRIL and they're a good option to use. I was pleased with their service and I would use them again.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are sorry to learn about your unfortunate accident at the end of your ski holiday, but happy that your Trip Interruption benefit was available, and of use. We hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I buy travel insurance considering I'm 70 years old, and I want to be able to come back to the country if something happens to me. I always go to InsureMyTrip.com, have used different insurance providers and have done fine with everyone that I've gotten. For my Israel trip, I got an insurance from APRIL Travel Protection, and of the very few times that I've ever had to put in a claim, APRIL handled my claim very nicely. I just had to give them all the forms they asked for and then they processed things in about a month. They then sent me a check and paid exactly as they said they would. APRIL's reps were very helpful and they provided great service, and the insurance was at a reasonable cost.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know we met your expectations with our service and product. We hope to insure many of your future vacations.

APRIL Travel Protection

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?

Original review: July 28, 2018

When I bought a ticket on the American Airlines website, they gave the option to add the APRIL Travel Protection. Overall, it was a very good experience purchasing the insurance and I’d recommend them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear your experience was a positive one. We hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 25, 2018

We booked most of our cruises with Online Vacation Center. They were using APRIL Travel Protection and I purchased the plan from them. Then my husband passed away right before we were scheduled to leave on a cruise. I called my travel agent and then she put it all in motion. I got my forms from APRIL, completed those and returned them. They paid promptly. The time between the time that they received the claim papers and I got the check was timely. APRIL provided excellent service. I had to call a couple of times about various things, too. The telephone was answered promptly and I was referred to the proper person. I'm happy with my experience with them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation, and please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. We are pleased to know you were happy with the claims experience during your time of need, and appreciate your repeated confidence in our product.

J.Garces

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 24, 2018

We had APRIL Travel Protection about a year ago. I used insuremytrip.com, looked at my criteria, put in the cost and then bought my insurance. It seemed easy. My friend and I travel together. I turned them on to the website. He wound up buying insurance and recently filed a claim last year. We were about a month and a half prior to the trip and then he had some horrible side effects after some minor shoulder surgery and needed to cancel.

I was stuck in Fiji waiting for my ship for four days and I saw a website for customer service. I had Wi-Fi and I thought to contact APRIL to let them know what happened rather than waiting until I got home which I’m glad I did. They told me not to worry. I gave them the date that I was gonna be home which was like a month later. I let them know about what happened, my situation and that I needed to file a claim. They emailed me, made notes and sent me the forms. I felt very comfortable that they were aware and that it was okay to wait. Everything went like clockwork. It went well other than I got stuck. When they sent the email, I told them that I was not even sure if this is the right place to notify anybody and it got routed to a supervisor. They responded to me and they took care of it. Everything was smooth, the right people got it and I got the right response. I had an excellent experience with APRIL and I will highly recommend them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to safeguard your vacation. It's great to hear you were able to reach out to our team while you were still abroad and we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. We appreciate your confidence and hope to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 23, 2018

APRIL Travel Protection was really good. We had to abort our trip because of health reasons, and we were very satisfied with the results. We went through the process and got the documentation certifying that we had a legitimate claim, and it was paid. It seemed relatively easy jumping through the hoops and getting everything squared away. If we take another lengthy excursion, we’ll buy APRIL again because we were satisfied. However, I don’t like that I have to pay extra because of my advanced age but I understand why that occurs. With the reasons there are for that, I’m more of a risk.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to safeguard your vacation. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know you are satisfied with our service. We look forward to insuring your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 20, 2018

When my wife and I went to India, we used APRIL as our travel protection insurance. Purchasing the policy was fine and we got it from SquareMouth. One time, we had a claim when we went to a bunch of places in India and then when we got off in one stop, one of our bags didn't make it. Even though our bag was found quickly, we were headed to the Himalayas and we had a train to catch. So we had to leave and the airline didn't want to send our bags to the Himalayas. Though most of India is pretty warm, the Himalayas aren't in January and so we had to buy some winter clothes for my wife as her carry-on bag only contained warm weather clothes. We put a claim for the things that we had to buy and while they covered everything they said they would cover, what bothered me was they wouldn’t cover any makeup or anything that my wife normally uses. Basically, we had to buy toiletries and cosmetics.

When you buy a plan, it says luggage replacement and even though my wife was only using the make-up for three days, we couldn’t buy a three-day size of makeup. Instead, we had to go to a store and buy a full size one. So I was annoyed because I really didn’t know until I put in a claim and then all of a sudden they told me they don't cover makeup. For a woman, that’s a necessity and it was a kind of exclusion that people just don’t see when they apply to get the policy. Other than that, everything was fine. It was very easy to put a claim through. Furthermore, the people at APRIL were very nice. They called and explained everything. In closing, while the company is not perfect, they weren't hard like the other company we had the last time.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your feedback regarding your claims experience. We hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 13, 2018

I had a claim over email with APRIL Travel Protection a year or two ago. It was all digital and went through smoothly. I had used them previously and went back to them. I would recommend them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to safeguard your vacation. It's great to hear that you've been pleased enough with our services to use us repeatedly. We hope to continue insuring your future travels for a long time.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 11, 2018

We used another travel protection provider when we went to Africa several years ago. We had looked at new benefits and the current company we went with, APRIL Travel Protection, seemed to do what we needed the best. Our experience with APRIL was easy and everything went great -- from talking to people, getting information sent over to getting the paperwork, and faxing it in. There was a lot of stuff to fill out, but it was thorough, which we completely expected.

However, there was a lag time of hearing whether people were actually looking through it, but once we contacted people, they did a good job of letting us know where we were in the application process. Trip cancellation and sickness are our motivation when getting travel protection, but luggage loss is a big one for us. We'll use APRIL again, for sure, and we plan on trying to go back to Vietnam again next year. I would also tell my friends to go for APRIL as it's better to be safe than sorry.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service. Please note that we are in the process of upgrading our claims technology and processes to provide better notification and status updates both automatically to your email Inbox and through our new client claims portal. We hope to have the opportunity to show you these new features on an upcoming trip.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 10, 2018

APRIL Travel Protection was recommended to us. I bought the travel insurance online and the service rep was good. However, when we had to make a medical claim, it took way longer and way too many follow-ups on my part to get it handled.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are pleased you found our service to be satisfactory and appreciate your concerns regarding the claim process. Please note that we are in the process of upgrading our claims technology and processes to provide better notification and status updates both automatically to your email Inbox and through our new client claims portal. We hope you give us the opportunity to show you these new features on an upcoming trip.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 8, 2018

We purchased APRIL Travel Protection online as we wanted to make sure we had insurance in case we would be in a foreign country. My daughter is allergic to fish and she was at a buffet. One time at a resort, she thought she was grabbing chicken fingers and it was fish sticks. She had a minor reaction where she was nauseous for three days, so we brought her to the medical clinic there, where she was seen by a doctor and given an anti-nausea medication. We submitted a claim and APRIL's representative was very thorough with what she needed in order to expedite it. She said she would email us and told us what documents we needed to send for reimbursement. Travel insurance is nice to have in case something happens.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation.Glad to hear everything worked out for your daughter. We hope to continue to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 7, 2018

We had to cancel a trip because my wife had surgery. The cancellation process with APRIL Travel Protection went well. It was the first time I ever had to do it. I’m not the brightest bulb in the chandelier and I got through it. The service reps were helpful. Some of the paperwork was a little tricky so I asked them and they provided me with the information I needed. It was a lot of paperwork but eventually, I muddled through it and we got our money back. I was happy with my experience but it could have been expedited a little quicker.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We're happy you had a positive experience and we look forward to insuring your future travels.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We usually book our trips far out in advance, our children are in their child-bearing years, and our parents are already elderly so we buy travel insurance. We purchased April through InsureMyTrip.com. And we already have some of our own other insurance but with April, I was able to choose to cover what I wanted to cover which brought the cost down.

So far, we had to file claims with April twice. We had to cancel the same trip twice in a row and both times, I had to call to get things moving. While everything went smoothly the first time, the second time took forever and then it ended up in some kind of a third party and when that happened, it got solved right away. While everything worked out okay in the end, it was not as seamless as one would have thought. Both times, there were deaths in the family and we had all the documentation get to them as quickly as we could but I find it frustrating that whoever handled stuff down in Florida didn't email back any kind of confirmation unless we called back again.

All in all, we've only made three claims with travel insurance companies and April was the only one I had to really sit on. I like people to let me know when something is received since you're saying a lot of very personal private information when you fill out the forms, especially in this last one that we had to do. That was particularly difficult because it was my daughter-in-law's information and I was very uncomfortable sending her medical stuff because it's not mine to share. So I needed confirmation.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. Please accept our sincere condolences for your losses. We appreciate your feedback regarding your claims experience, and are disappointed to hear we didn't meet your expectations on your second claim.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had a travel insurance plan with April Travel Protection three years ago, which I had to cancel. But the people that I spoke with were very helpful. I'd recommend April Travel Protection.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your kind words, and hope you will consider APRIL Travel Protection for your future travel needs.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We rarely use travel protection, but we're getting older now. So, we thought, "Well, we should." The people who placed the vacation suggested APRIL. When we purchased our April insurance plan, we did everything over the phone with our agent. And APRIL was absolutely awful. My husband got cancer and we had to cancel it. They put us through the wringer and didn't believe anything we told them. We had to provide all kinds of paperwork, which were impossible to get. When we finally got it settled months later, they took off a big percentage for whatever they did. They took off handling fees and other kinds of things. So, with whatever we paid, it came in at 60% that we got back. It was ridiculous. It didn't help that the discussion between APRIL and the person who placed it was difficult as well and we had to go back and forth between the two entities. I will never use them again.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation and appreciate your feedback regarding your claim experience and your settlement concerns. This allowed us to audit your case and address your mistrust.

I would like to share with you all the figures and how we arrived at the settlement amount. Each segment was taken into account: your airfare, hotel, cruise, and any potential carrier refunds. Insurance premiums are not claimable for reimbursement.

Please note, APRIL does not charge handling fees.

I will be reaching out to you, and hope to restore your faith in regards to the handling of your case.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 3, 2018

We were taking a trip on our own and we needed trip insurance. I went online and looked for insurance companies and there was one site that listed the five best travel insurance providers. April Travel Protection's rating came up good and we gave them a whirl. Initially, when we had to cancel our trip last May, I called April and I told them what had happened and they sent me the forms. We filled them out then we had a doctor fill out his portion and sent it back to them.

Before I turned around, we had our money less the amount that Tauck, which was the travel company, was holding as a deposit for a future trip, which prompted us to have to file this time because they hold the money for a year. However, their ploy is that the money that they're holding cannot be used as a deposit on the next trip but used at the back end as a final payment, so they would want another deposit. When I heard that, I asked them if they were telling me that if anything should go wrong and we have to cancel this trip again, that the first deposit will be gone and then they're gonna use the second deposit as a deposit on a trip for a year later. They said that it was right but I disagreed with them.

We booked the trip with Vacations To Go through Tauck. The fellow I was working with was very good. I asked him why didn't I get my $1,200 and he said that he contacted Tauck. April Travel didn't want anybody double-dipping so he found and suggested that it would be best if I waited until that year is up and then apply for the balance that had been held which we just did. I was speaking to Joanna, but everybody at April Travel has been very cooperative, easy to work with and answered any questions. They seemed to be very reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend April to anybody. I would certainly use them again if we'd take a trip that requires insurance.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. I'm happy to know we had met your expectations, and you were pleased with our service. Our team will go the extra mile when it comes to our clients. I hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 2, 2018

On a cruise that we had about 18 months ago, we had to use our APRIL travel insurance as my wife got an earache. The rep that I dealt with at the time was very nice and told us the name of the two hospitals in London which were APRIL-known approved providers. That was proactive on their part to be able to provide that type of information. We then paid for our expense with a credit card and then APRIL reimbursed it. About six years ago, however, we had to cancel a trip prior to going. I booked my own tickets on Delta from Cincinnati to London and we were gonna get on the ship at Southampton. And then my wife had to get a knee surgery and we couldn't go. I also had APRIL insurance then but nobody wanted to reimburse me the $3,000 worth of airline fees, thus the finger-pointing between APRIL and Delta. It was a little bit disappointing but they were just probably following the normal rules in what was reimbursable or not.

We've had friends who were in a foreign country and they were in an automobile accident. And so even if it was on a bus and one has to be air-evaced from Barbados back to Miami or worse, to be in Botswana, laying in a hut for two days with a broken leg with a bone sticking out and trying to get air-evaced from Botswana back to Cincinnati could be 25 grand. So, we get travel protection for instances like trip cancellation and medical needs. We usually try and get to 50,000 plus on medical and return to appropriate medical care in the US type thing.

On our trip after 9/11, we went to China and a woman fell the first day and broke her upper arm and shoulder. She had to be air-evaced. They put a Chinese doctor on board and flew with a nurse to the Philippines and then Philippines all the way back to LAX. That was impressive because she had the insurance too. Being by herself and not speaking the language, the insurance people just jumped right on in and took care of everything for her. That was an advantage for everyone. And from the minimal experience that we've had with APRIL, the $80 thing when they picked up the tab for an office visit for an additional work in my wife's ear and some eardrop, we could tell the people interested in APRIL that they did not drop it like a "Nope, we're not doing anything" type of situation.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are pleased to know we have met your expectations, and continue to insure your travel needs. We are looking into your concerns from several years ago and will be happy to follow up with you and share our findings.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: July 1, 2018

My wife and I travel a lot. Having a travel insurance at my age is smart since the world is not particularly safe. On one trip, my wife broke her ankle and so there was a fair amount of expenses on that. Also one time, I almost caught pneumonia when about half the people on a ship had something. I got it and for 20 days, I was not feeling very good. There were medical expenses and APRIL Travel Protection paid them right away.

I'm satisfied with APRIL Travel Protection. They're cheaper than others and what I had to pay was reasonable. I also got all the information that I needed which was easy to read and I didn't feel ignored. Having them paid off and I almost broke in even. I also have the stress less service, which I didn't use, but I was glad to have.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to know we have met your expectations. We're pleased you mentioned our Stress Less service as it is a unique benefit we offer. We hope you will consider APRIL when making your future travel plans.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have a five-year-old kid and I don't want any unplanned interruptions to affect my schedule so I get travel insurance for my trips. I purchased one from APRIL Travel Protection directly on their site. I read a good review on one of the travel websites I visit frequently so I decided to give it a try. When I called them about filing a claim, their rep took down my information and then processed it quickly. It was awesome and I'm completely satisfied. I would recommend APRIL to my friends and family. It's a great service to get for every trip.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are pleased that you were satisfied with our product and we were able to meet your expectations. We appreciate your support and look forward to insuring your future travel plans.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 29, 2018

The tour group that I was going to travel with strongly suggested that I get a travel insurance. I looked up online to see what were the best companies and settled in on APRIL Travel. They had the best reviews. I had a terrific experience signing up with them and then they handled my situation very well. They were efficient and excellent when I had to collect on the policy. I was happy. I would definitely recommend APRIL without hesitation and would tell people that I was well satisfied and they would be too.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your positive feedback knowing we have met your expectations. We hope to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 28, 2018

I liked the price and reviews of April Travel Protection Insurance. So, I purchased insurance from them online through InsureMyTrip.com. It was with the whole Delta Travel snafu in April and I ended up filing a claim. I spoke with someone by phone twice and they were fine. They directed me to a policy then they confirmed receipt of my claim. But I never got any question or communication that it was approved. Fortunately, I was paid within a couple of weeks, so that part exceeded my expectations. I thought it’d be a long process that I would have to stay on top of, so that was good.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection with your vacation. We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience with our claims process, and are pleased to know we exceeded your expectations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 27, 2018

We use travel insurance every time we travel. We pay a few thousand dollars for a trip and we don’t know what can happen while on a cruise or while driving a car cross-country. And when we’re in foreign countries, our insurance here normally doesn’t cover so we don’t want something to happen and not have some type of coverage.

We purchased APRIL Travel insurance when we paid our final payment in December. Come January, I was having all the pain and the surgery ended up on the day that we were gonna sail. So, we cancelled the trip and the April insurance kept insinuating that the pain was a pre-conditioned. But there was no way I would pay for a trip if I was in much pain. It was very difficult to get an answer. When I called their number, the service reps told us that the information was still being considered but they didn’t have any information. After many calls and getting the runaround, they were telling me that the person doesn’t work in the office and they didn’t have the information. Also, they said that they were just customer service and they don’t get anything until the information is given to them. They also wanted all the doctors that I had seen for six months but my doctors wouldn’t call back people whom they don’t know.

I was left hanging and they were trying to get information about something that didn’t even relate to what the problem was. I felt that they were trying to deny me rather than help me. They had to get somebody to finally take a look. So, I called the guy on my letter and he referred me to a person who could help me. I had many follow-ups to finally get to the person who was helpful. I had a traumatic experience with APRIL Travel and they held out until June before they paid us. I will never use them again.

APRIL Travel Protection response
We appreciate you choosing APRIL Travel Protection to protect a second vacation, and apologize we did not meet your expectations during the claims process.
Your review allowed us to investigate your claim. Our inquest determined while the review process did take longer than the ideal time frame of 30 business days, the delay was primarily due to your physician's office lack of response in a timely manner. After multiple requests and the exchange of proper forms, the needed paper work was received. Your case was then promptly escalated and properly adjudicated.

We hope to have the opportunity protect another of your vacation's in the future.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 26, 2018

We wanted some protection overseas in case we got hurt and purchased an April Travel Protection plan online.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your support and hope to insure your future travel needs.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 24, 2018

I was flying to New Zealand and it was really an expensive trip. I always get a travel insurance just in case something happens as I don’t want to lose out much money. I purchased an APRIL Travel Protection insurance online. I got stuck in Taiwan for a day and a half ‘cause of a missed connection, then they lost my luggage for about a week so I had to buy all of my stuff. I filed a claim which was really easy and ended up getting paid for all the stuff. I just had to email APRIL some receipts and that was that. It was all simple and good. Their reps were nice and helpful too.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We're glad to hear that after the rough start to your holiday, you were able to easily file a claim for reimbursement for your out of pocket expenses. Thank you for the kind words about our reps!

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 23, 2018

APRIL Travel Protection was very easy to work with when we ended up having to cancel a trip due to illness. My spouse has health problems. But even though there was no indication initially that there might be a problem, we also have aging parents and we were spending a lot of money on the trip. So, I wanted to make sure that we were insured in case anything happens. I found APRIL Travel Protection on My Trip Insurance, and then I purchased the insurance plan directly from APRIL.

When I filed the claim, APRIL dealt with it very straightforwardly. All I did was call them and they sent me the information. It did take me some time to compile the entire claim together. But once I did it, there was certainly no difficulty in receiving the reimbursement from the insurance. Mine was also a complicated case because it was a number of different components and some had been partially reimbursed because I’d gotten refunds, and APRIL didn’t have any problem with it.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We are pleased your claims reimbursement experience was positive, and hope to insure your future vacations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 22, 2018

I will never have April Travel Protection's insurance again. The airlines lost our luggage and we missed all of our flights. Consequently, we missed the first day of the whole cruise. Eventually, my travel partner, the other teacher that I travel with, got her reimbursement check for $250. I had the filed the claim back on January 8th and I dealt with Alexandria, April's rep. I sent copies of every single paper that I had to the regular place and her department. She claimed that she didn’t get all the stuff and that I was unwilling to send further documentation. For some reason, the paperwork went to a different department. I told her to tell me what she needed and I had sent everything. Even my travel agent Edwina had to deal with her and she gave her a hard time. Also, my emails would show that it would usually take a week to hear back from her.

Alexandria also claimed that they never sent a check to my friend and we have a copy of the check and it took until April to get my money back because I had to go through customer relations with Viking Cruise to get them involved. Even more, we got somebody named Nick from Viking Cruises to deal with it and all of a sudden about three weeks later, I had my check. With the very last cruise I took, we filed a claim and I didn’t have any need to file anything, it was automatic and we had no problems getting it. I will never deal with April again and I will tell everybody that I know that travels what I went through with them. I'm going on another cruise in November and I'm getting Allianz through myself.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for your feedback. I will be reaching out to you to discuss your claim experience.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have used different travel insurance providers over the years. They all seemed reputable and some a little less difficult to deal with than others, but April was satisfactory. Their availability and cost seemed appropriate. One time, there was a trip I had which had to be canceled because of health reasons. My wife was having an issue and once that we substantiated the problem with letters from the physician, etc. they paid the claim. They were pretty reasonable about it.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We appreciate your feedback regarding your claims experience, and hope you will consider APRIL for your future travel insurance needs.

APRIL Travel Protection expert review by Matthew Brodsky

APRIL International offers multiple travel insurance plans for anyone traveling internationally. Coverage includes medical, death and disability, trip cancellation, baggage and more. It has a presence across 37 countries to help cover your single-trip and annual multi-trip plans.

• Economy single-trip plan: The economy single-trip plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to situations like injury, sickness, death, supplier default, weather, natural disasters, terrorism, military duty, strikes, and more. You get emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible and a pre existing condition waiver if you purchase your policy within 14 days of making your trip deposit or payment. Finally, you get tip interruption and evacuation coverage of up to $250,000. Free quotes are available online.

• VIP single-trip plan: This plan is great for families taking a trip lasting up to 60 days and wants higher coverage limits and optional upgrades. This plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to all the situations included in our Economy Plan as well as pregnancy, job loss, traffic accident, hurricane warning and more. You can cancel your trip for any reason and still get 75 percent of the costs covered. You get medical coverage of $250,000, trip interruption and evacuation coverage of $550,000 and renter’s collision insurance for $30.

• Universal multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips each year lasting up to 90 days each. The plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation coverage, including medical and non-medical of up to $100,000 and emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible. You’ll also get baggage coverage of up to $1,000 covering damage, lost baggage and delays. Quotes are available online.

• Elite multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips a year lasting up to 90 days each and want higher coverage limits. The Elite plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation benefits including medical and nonmedical of up to $250,000 and emergency medical benefits coverage of up to $100,000 with no deductible. You also receive baggage coverage of up to $2,500 for delayed, lost or damaged baggage.

• Trip cancellation plan: This plan is designed for people who are concerned about their trip being cancelled due to weather or natural disasters, unexpected employment issues, terrorism and the health of relatives. You can purchase an Any Reason Cancellation upgrade to cover 100 percent of the cost of your trip for any reason. Specifics include: Must be under 80 years old to purchase, days traveled must not exceed 60 days and the maximum trip must not cost more than $20,000 per person. Check out a full list of details online and get a free quote.

• Best for: single-trip and multi-trip international travelers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky