4.61/5
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

APRIL Travel Protection makes travel insurance simple. Whether you are looking for single trip plans, multi trip plans, or trip cancellation plans, the team at APRIL Travel Protection is ready to assist you. Contact us today to get a quote or to learn more about our service!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 28, 2018

54 APRIL Travel Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 28, 2018

When we travel, I typically use Alliance and then I have used a couple from the cruise lines. I got APRIL from Vacations to Go and used it on a cruise. I had a claim from Alliance and I also had a claim from APRIL for a life and falling in St. Croix and they were both fine. But it was easier when we had a claim from Alliance because I could do it online. I downloaded everything and I could upload the documents on their website and there also an app. With APRIL, I downloaded the form, filled it up and put the documents with it, and send it to them through snail mail. But the service reps at APRIL were very accommodating. They responded promptly and I had all the correct documentations, so there was no going back and forth. They didn’t ask for more or anything else because I had the documentation from the ship and everything where my wife was treated.

Age-wise, we’re in the 60-ish so you wanna make sure that you’re covered. And if you're going out of the country like on a cruise even to the Caribbean or anywhere, you wanna make sure you're covered in all of that. So, I don’t have any problems with travel insurance. A lot of people don't use it and in 17 cruises, we’ve had two incidents and the claims I have made have been relatively small. It's actually less than what the insurance had cost but that's why we get it. We were on a cruise in the past with a celebrity seven years ago and they had a bad incident in Dominica where two people got killed and 15 injured. They had to leave them there and they had to be transported and all of that. So, that was an awakening experience. I'm cleared about that since I got travel insurance.

Overall, it was an excellent experience and it was at par with Alliance which we’ve used for years and years. When I first saw APRIL, I went online like everybody does and I Googled it and started looking for reviews or how to use it. I found it was more of a European thing and was used more at overseas so we went with it instead of declining it and going with Alliance. And I was very pleased with the service. When somebody was talking about travel insurances, I mentioned that there is APRIL which might be more competitive for Europe. I said that I was very pleased with them and it was fairly simple.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service. Please note that we are in the process of upgrading or claims technology via our new online client claims portal. Through that portal, you'll have the ability to complete your claim forms, upload documentation, see the status of your documents being reviewed, & know exactly where your claim rests in its service cycle. We hope you give us the opportunity to show you these new features on an upcoming trip.

APRIL Travel Protection

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I purchased my April Travel Protection insurance from our travel agent, Online Vacation. They recommended it. When my wife got sick and had to have surgery we got a doctor's order that she couldn’t go, we filed the claim with April Travel Protection which took two weeks to go through, and they approved it. Everybody was happy. We were going to the Caribbean in March or April and we couldn't go, so we rescheduled it for November. We got April Travel again and, luckily, nothing happened. But instead of us just going, we had four other couples going and they purchased from them also. It was a great experience. We use them all the time now.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you've been pleased enough with our service to use us repeatedly. We hope to continue insuring your future travels for a long time.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have always had great experiences with APRIL Travel Protection. I’ve had many, many policies through them and I keep buying travel insurance because of trip cancellation. So far, they have always been very easy to deal with. I always get a person and they settle the claim without hassle.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased enough our service to use us again & again. We greatly appreciate your continued support!

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 24, 2018

My fiancée use APRIL Travel Protection because she travels a lot and you never know what's going to happen. I tell everybody who travels that if they're gonna book something over two months, they have to get insurance. It’s worth it. I don’t like to have to cancel a flight and they would say that they're gonna credit you and then about three months later, you forget about the credit. Two months after the credit’s gone, you finally find it and remember but it's already up. Last year, we had some issues with a flight so we called. They gave us a time frame on when things would be resolved and within a week of what the rep had told us, everything was taken care of. They were prompt and the customer service was great.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service & appreciate you spreading the gospel about the benefits of travel insurance. We look forward to the opportunity to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 23, 2018

When I made reservations for Celebrity Cruises, they had insurance through April Travel Protection. During the cruise, I got sick and I had to go to the infirmary. I saw the doc and there was a charge on it. I sent the charge to April then they cut me a check and I cashed that. April Travel Protection is a reputable company.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service. We look forward to the opportunity to insure your future travels & hope you can enjoy those trips without any more uncomfortable medical situations.

APRIL Travel Protection

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?

Original review: April 22, 2018

My wife and I both filed a claim and APRIL was wonderful in covering them. It took them several weeks to process it so I had to follow up with them to make sure that they got the information that was in process but we were pleased with the service that we got. We paid our medical bills and they reimbursed us when we got home. They held up their end of the deal and we didn't have to fight with them. I would use them again.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service. Please note that we are in the process of upgrading or claims technology & processes to provide better notification & status updates both automatically to your email Inbox & through our new client claims portal. We hope you give us the opportunity to show you these new features on an upcoming trip.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 21, 2018

My husband and I bought travel insurance mainly because of our age. We've always purchased it because we do lengthy travel and we've traveled to Europe a lot. We just knew that if there was any kind of an accident and we had to be sent home by plane it would be very costly. We have used APRIL Travel Protection twice on our last two trips and it's been terrific. Online Vacations recommended APRIL and we purchased it through them. They were great when I made the claim over the internet. I would certainly use them again.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 20, 2018

When you buy travel insurance like April Travel Protection, you have to buy it within the first two weeks of purchasing the vacation. That's when you get it the cheapest. If you wait longer, then some items are not available anymore, like some of the cancellation process. When you book the insurance, you need to call right away. Even if it's things like you can't book airfare because it's too far out, you could still say that you guesstimated that your airfare's gonna be about $1,500. That way, you still get all the benefits of having the travel insurance even if you can't physically do it yet.

I keep purchasing protection insurance because it's only a couple of hundred dollars and just to see the ship's doctor will cost $100. When my son went into the ocean he got bumps all over him so we took him to the doctor. The bill was about $240 and the travel insurance was only $200 to $300 so that gave us a price of insurance. You'll never know what's going to happen so for a couple of hundred dollars, even for the smallest of things, you can have peace of mind and it pays for itself.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service & appreciate you spreading the gospel about the benefits of travel insurance. We agree with you completely & look forward to the opportunity to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 19, 2018

April's reps answered my questions. I was not able to make my trip because I had a surgery, so I had to get the insurance and they were pretty helpful with that. I got the check, so it was all good.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service & found value in your reimbursement. Be sure to let us know if there's anything we can improve on in order to gain that last missing star from you.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 18, 2018

I travel three or four times a year. When I was looking to buy travel insurance, April Travel Protection was recommended by a travel agent so I used them. Last March, I went on a riverboat cruise on the Rhine and I lost a luggage there for a week. April Travel Protection paid me $200 for that. They did what they said they would do and did it promptly. I would recommend them to others.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased enough with our service that you would recommend it to others. We hope to insure your future travels & are crossing our fingers that your luggage arrives as intended next time.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 17, 2018

A friend of mine had used APRIL for her trip prior to our trip. We went with them because of her recommendation instead of what we found online. We were flying from the south to the northeast and we knew that there was a chance that weather could be an issue. The condition was iffy when we were booking our trip and we thought we needed the insurance. I purchased APRIL from insurance.com and sure enough, a nor'easter came through when we were trying to travel to Boston. Their reps were great. However, I checked the wrong thing on the box and APRIL ended up not doing for us what we needed it to do. But I'd tell friends that APRIL has been worth it for us and that if they think they need travel insurance, then APRIL would be a great company to use.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased enough with our service that you would recommend it to others. Be sure to let us know if you feel that your claim was not properly adjudicated or if you're still out any funds you feel should have been reimbursed. We'll be happy to reopen your case for you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2018

My travel agent made APRIL Travel Protection known to me and I've done several trips with them. But on the last one, APRIL rooked me out of a lot of money. Our airline cancelled our flight 10 minutes before we were to leave Memphis to go to Sydney, Australia. So consequently, we had paid for three nights in a hotel in Sydney, Australia to the tune of $250 a night. Now, APRIL in turn told us that the trip delay insurance was there so we got paid for the trip delay. I submitted to them a bill from the hotel, showing them what the amount of money was but we did not get paid anything for a night in a hotel. They never did anything further about it and I don't think that we were treated fairly. Now, I don't have any faith in them even though I have paid for a trip this year through them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. Upon reading your comments, we have reopened this claim for additional review. I have been in contact with you personally & will oversee the revaluation with our Claims Department. Hopefully, we can come to a resolution that you're happy with to demonstrate the incredible value of both travel insurance & working with APRIL Travel Protection.

Please be patient with us as we navigate the appeal process.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 8, 2018

I purchased the travel insurance of APRIL Travel Protection from a traveler's website because of the price. My flight was interrupted, so I had to call APRIL. My plane was delayed and couldn’t land at Texas Airport, then it landed late at night and I missed my connecting flight. I called the number of APRIL, but the person who answered the phone, an emergency medical assistant, said their regular hours are only until 6:00 or 7:00 P.M., so I had to call them the next day.

My overall experience with APRIL Travel Protection was okay, but they need to improve their daytime hours because that incident happened late at night, at around 9:00 or 10:00 PM, and there was nobody at APRIL that I could speak to. But the reps were very helpful people and the service was okay. My trip was not just staying in one city. We had to go to London and the APRIL rep said that if I missed that flight, they were gonna buy me an airplane ticket to Paris, which was our next stop, so that made me comfortable.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. We have looked into your case & found that the individual who you spoke to during our later hours did give you misinformation. Our call center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist with both medical AND travel disruptions. That individual should've provided you immediate help instead of redirecting you to call our insurance team that works 9 am to 8 pm / Monday - Friday & 9 am to 5 pm / Saturday & Sunday. The call center individual that didn't provide you the proper assistance was dealt with accordingly (retrained & monitored closely).

We hope you give us another opportunity to insure a future trip. While our fingers will be crossed that everything goes smoothly with your future travels, rest assured that should something happen we'll be here 24 hours a day to provide assistance & potentially instant adjudication & payment via our Stress Less Benefits.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: April 7, 2018

When I purchased a travel insurance from APRIL Travel Protection through travelinsurance.com, it was more for emergency help and accidents. I'll recommend it to a friend.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased enough with our service that you would recommend it to others. We look forward to the opportunity to insure your future travels.

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 5, 2018

My friend and I bought tickets for Rolling Loud 2018 in Miami and we were excited for this event, but my friend is a teacher and I’m a full time student. So unfortunately she won’t have days off due to testing and my professor moved my test to the day we had planned to leave. The representative we spoke to said our claim would be denied? How? We’re both full time teacher and student. The lady was not being clear and kept telling us she could proceed with the claim but would be denied. So we hung up and we’ll call a different day to try to speak with someone else that would be more helpful.

Original review: March 31, 2018

My husband is in the military, so things change a lot at the last second and so being able to make decisions at the last second is very important to us. Based on how long into my travel I could use the insurance, I decided that the April Travel Protection's insurance was more useful. They had a better offer than other companies and they didn’t charge extra for it. I made my purchase online, but I was worried that their service reps would turn me around in circles for forever, but they didn’t. They were very open and they answered all of my questions. I was really comfortable dealing with them. The travel insurance from April Travel Protection was a very good purchase and I felt very protected with it.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection & are delighted to hear that you were pleased with our representatives. We hope you continue choosing us to insure your future travels & thank your husband for his service to our country.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 25, 2018

We bought our April Travel Protection plan through an online cruise company. Our travel agent whom we've talked to online recommended that we get it. We did it over the phone and it was a good experience talking to their rep. The rate was also competitive and the plan filled our needs for what we wanted. Since I had to have neurosurgery, I was not physically able to travel. The doctor filled out the form and it was approved, and we were pleased that we could get some of our money back. We were glad we had the plan and we would use their travel insurance again.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection & are delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service & would use us again. We look forward continuing to insure your future trips & meeting or exceeding your expectations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 15, 2018

Since all my trips were non-refundable, I thought about buying travel insurance so I would be reimbursed of my expenses in case something happens. Also, I was going to be in a foreign country so I specifically looked for an insurance company that provided services like if you couldn't be treated where you were, they would take care of getting you back to the States. APRIL Travel Protection had that and that was a pretty good deal.

I got their insurance when I booked a trip to Cuba. I had an accident and I couldn’t go, so they reimbursed me for my expenses for the trip, the airlines, and the whole bit. I thought I was going to be hassled when I used the travel insurance and that it was going to take forever. But they didn’t hassle me at all. I got a statement from my doctor that said I could not travel then they had their own form which sent to me by email. I took it to my doctor, got it back, and sent that document to them along with the proof of what I paid. The process went very quickly and they were very easy to deal with. They were also very knowledgeable, pleasant, and efficient. The second time I used APRIL was for the replacement Cuba trip, and fortunately, I didn’t have any need to use their services for that. I used them again for my trip to Mexico and that worked out really well, too.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased with our service & we hope to insure future trips of yours. We also hope that you get to enjoy your next trip without any medical issues getting in the way.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 12, 2018

We were going to New Zealand and Australia. They don’t charge as much as hospitals in the US, but they charge if you are a foreigner. I bought April Travel Protection online for safeguard that we could be treated and we could get home. Their policy matched my needs better than other travel insurance providers. I had several contacts with them and all the reps were good. They were also very straightforward and everything I asked to be done was done, and whatever confirmation I needed was sent on time. I was in the hands of people who knew what they were doing. There was a bit of a mess up in the beginning, but it was sorted out. They had a good customer service rep who put it right. April Travel Protection was very good and I would use them again if their policy met my needs.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection & are delighted to hear that you were pleased with the personal attention & service our representatives provided you. We hope you continue choosing us to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 11, 2018

I found April Travel Protection on the internet. I looked at the review and April had a good one and so I chose to use travel insurance for the first time through them. At the time we booked the ticket, it was several months before the actual travel so I thought of problems. We never knew what happened. If my friends are looking for travel insurance, I recommend April Travel Protection.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for trusting APRIL Travel Protection to protect your vacation. It's great to hear that you were pleased enough our service that you would recommend it to others.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 10, 2018

InsureMyTrip listed companies to choose from and I purchased my April Travel Protection plan there online. My husband is 80 and I'm 78, so our age has been our motivation for getting a travel insurance. We booked quite ahead of time because you would never know what was going to happen. The first time we used April Travel Protection, we had to cancel our trip and they were very good about refunding our money. This time, it was fine, except I broke a tooth and we were in Central America and they had a hard time trying to find anyone to help me and we had a hard time corresponding because I didn't have a phone so I had to email.

I was on a cruise ship and they emailed me back and said that there was a place, 50 miles from where we were going to dock next. But if you're there from 10:00 to 5:00, you don't travel 100 miles. So, I asked them to find another place and they emailed me back and asked where I would be, which I told them and I never got a response. A few days later, they wanted to know if they could close the claim and I told them that I still needed help, but I never got it. When I finally heard from them, it was time for me to go home.

Their email replies were not very good and it was hard to get help through email. But I ended up not getting my tooth fixed at that time and got it fixed at home instead, so it didn't become an issue. Though they could be easier to contact by email and responded better by emails. The broken tooth was not painful but if it had been painful, I would have been furious with them. Other than that, I would probably go back with them because they were good on the first time I used them and I would tell other people that April Travel Protection is good.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Thank you for continuing to trust APRIL to insure your vacations. We're delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service when we covered your cancellation claim. However, it's troubling for us to learn that you weren't given the proper attention when you had dental issues while cruising through Central America. We do know the challenges of communicating with policyholders while they're at sea, but we have a multitude of call center staff who work 24/7/365 & processes in place to deal with those difficult situations. We'll certainly look into your case to find out exactly what happened.

Meanwhile, we hope you give us another chance to prove that we're still that same great company that made you happy the first time you worked with us.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 5, 2018

We had an extensive trip and we wanted to make sure we had coverage in case something had to be canceled. We wanted some kind of back up into it. We got April Travel Protection and we had to contact them while we were travelling. We had a little medical issue and they said they would deal with it when we got back to the States. And it worked out very well. We more than broke even because of our medical expenses, so buying the insurance was worthwhile. April Travel Protection provided what we needed in an easy way to deal with.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection & are delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service. We've recently updated our company tagline from "Changing the image of insurance" to "Insurance made easy," so your comments are music to our ears. We hope to continue insuring your future trips & meeting or exceeding your expectations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 4, 2018

A colleague of mine told me to check out April Travel. I called one of their offices in Miami to explain my needs. We were going away for a while so we wanted to make sure we had a little extra coverage. I have an HMO plan through my work but it was going to be a little shaky on whether I’d be able to utilize that so we figured that purchasing April insurance was a simple way to give us a little extra peace of mind. With just one phone call, April Travel set me up with a coverage that worked very well for the price and I couldn’t match it anywhere else through my research.

When I was away, we realized we were going to take our child to the doctor. I reached out to them via email and they were a little unresponsive mainly because of the time differences since I was in Australia. They responded within a business day, stateside, but I already sought treatment for my daughter. But they assured me that they would be able to take care of everything and that they sent me all of the forms that I needed. They also told me what documentation I needed and I was able to get that and send it along. It was a very smooth process. I had my reimbursement within a matter of weeks and I was very happy. It was the best idea for money, and it did exactly what it needed to do. It worked out great and I’ll give it nothing but a good recommendation.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection & are delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service. We're sorry about the initial delay in communication based on the time difference. Our emergency operations are available 24/7/365, so someone should always be there to help you no matter what time of day or time zone you're in. We'll look further into what caused that delay.

Meanwhile, we hope to continue insuring your future trips & meeting or exceeding your expectations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 3, 2018

I'm glad that I purchased from April Travel. I used Travel Safe before and April Travel is very similar but it's a little bit less, cost-wise. Besides the coverage, I like the savings I get from April Travel. Also, whenever I make a claim, they reimburse me within two to three weeks, which is very acceptable. So next time, if I will travel again, I will definitely go with April. I had a good experience with them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection & are delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service. We hope to continue insuring your future trips & meeting or exceeding your expectations.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 2, 2018

We used April Travel Protection insurance two years ago when Online Vacation Center placed it with them. We bought the travel insurance because of our age, in case we have medical issues and could not go. When I submitted my claim for medical, their reps reviewed it and it took them 30 days to process it. It was an excellent experience using them.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 1, 2018

This is my first and last time to use April Travel Protection. It was bad, and I had a poor experience. I paid for something and felt I didn't get my money's worth. They didn't protect me when I was robbed of my cell phone abroad. They said they would cover the case but not the phone since in their fine print they don't cover cell phones, which then, I realized that was my responsibility to go through the fine print. Still, I feel it's unreasonable and I'm very unsatisfied.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We appreciate you choosing APRIL to insure your trip. We're thankful that we reached you for your comments as they spurred us to investigate your denied claim. Please be aware that most travel insurance companies exclude "phones, computers, & software" from being covered. However, APRIL is one of the few companies that does cover SmartPhones & Tablets.

Through our investigation, we discovered that your claim was improperly denied by a new agent who was unaware of the SmartPhone exception for APRIL. Additionally, that agent failed to escalate your denied claim for a phone call. This is another unique process that APRIL has whereby all denied claims receive a call to discuss the reason for the denial & to assist with a potential appeal (if possible).

Thankfully, your denied claim was recently overturned & payment should already be in your hands at this point. We hope you give us another chance to protect a future trip for you.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

We purchase April Travel Protection from Online Vacation Center and have used it on about four cruises. We like it better than what the cruise ship offers and we’ve researched quite a bit. When we were in Los Angeles, I had to go to the emergency room, and then I called them. The rep I got was wonderful. She called me the next morning and wanted to know what happened. I told her my concern about getting on the cruise ship if we had to cancel excursions, which we did. We canceled two, but we were able to do it with the medical facility, one of them and not lose money. And the other one, we were able to cancel three days out and not lose money. The cruise was over a month ago and we started submitting claim requirements as soon as we got home. However, the process is taking quite a while and I’ve not been able to get any kind of refund for the medical bills I’ve had to pay.

The first claim agent said she filled out everything online so we didn’t have to fill out a claim form. We waited and waited till I called last week. And when I talked to Candice, from Broadspire, she said, “No. That had to be submitted.” So, we faxed the form in last week, and then I called today to see if there has been any action on it. And I’m just waiting for a call. And then we received another EOP based on the emergency room doctor in Los Angeles, so we filled out a second claim form and submitted it Saturday or Monday. So, there’ll be another one. But so far, we’ve got nothing from the medical from the hospital, and the medical from the ship, which is a lot longer than we’ve had to wait the other time that we had to use it. I keep getting bills that I’ve paid, the $600, $700, $800 and thought it would be reimbursed by now.

I think we had misinformation in the beginning with the woman who said she took all the information. And we just needed to send in the paperwork, which my husband did. If that wasn’t valid, then they should’ve called and said, “No, this isn’t valid. You need to send the claims form.” But I think the claim has left April and it has gone to the insurance company handling it because April had one claim number, and Candice gave a different claim number. The customer service has been good. It’s just a matter of getting the claim wrapped up. And if there’s something else we need to do, we need to do it. But if it doesn’t get wrapped up, I need to call my representative at Online Vacation so she can speed it up.

We also had to use it one time, but nothing as big as this one. And any time before, I’ve been fine. And I definitely would use it again just because of the coverage. My big fear is that if anything happens and I’m in a foreign country, I got to have good coverage. And April has got a good policy. In fact, I’ve tried to get my sister to use it instead because it’s a lot more comprehensive. It’s also a good company and I hate to switch around too much because we’ve read it carefully.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for your loyal support & trust in APRIL to protect you, your family, & your vacation investments. Following your review, we conducted an investigation into your most recent claim & the call experience that led to some confusion. We found that the intake agent who initiated your most recent claim was someone new. In listening to the call, we can understand how you thought that you had provided them enough information whereby they had completed & submitted the claim for you. However, that wasn't the case & it was still critical for you to complete the claim form & provide any necessary backup documentation. We have singled that intake agent out for some additional training to avoid future occurrences of the same.

Meanwhile, your claim was initially denied. However, we were able to successfully get the underwriter to overturn that decision & your claim payment should be going out this week.

Please let us know if there's anything more we can do for you. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you on any future trips.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We purchased our April Travel Protection insurance plan through Online Vacation, and it was the only one that was offered. We’re not young anymore, so the insurance plan is good if there is a trip cancellation or if a medical reason comes up. Everything's been okay and I would tell my friends to check into it and go for it.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We appreciate you trusting APRIL Travel Protection to insure your vacation plans & look forward to continuing to work with you in the future.

Janet Garces

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We had a good experience with April Travel Protection. We filed a claim and everything went well. We couldn't go because of medical problems so we went to the doctor, who sent April a written note. We were pleased to get our money back.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

April Travel Protection was good. They had the best rate and I bought the travel insurance for medical reason. Their reps were good and answered any questions that I had. They taught me how to go by the steps to get things done. I filed a claim for my London trip and everything came out successfully.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We thank you for choosing APRIL Travel Protection & are delighted to hear that you were pleased with the personal attention our claims representatives provided you. We hope you continue choosing us to insure your future travels.

APRIL Travel Protection expert review by Matthew Brodsky

APRIL International offers multiple travel insurance plans for anyone traveling internationally. Coverage includes medical, death and disability, trip cancellation, baggage and more. It has a presence across 37 countries to help cover your single-trip and annual multi-trip plans.

• Economy single-trip plan: The economy single-trip plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to situations like injury, sickness, death, supplier default, weather, natural disasters, terrorism, military duty, strikes, and more. You get emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible and a pre existing condition waiver if you purchase your policy within 14 days of making your trip deposit or payment. Finally, you get tip interruption and evacuation coverage of up to $250,000. Free quotes are available online.

• VIP single-trip plan: This plan is great for families taking a trip lasting up to 60 days and wants higher coverage limits and optional upgrades. This plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to all the situations included in our Economy Plan as well as pregnancy, job loss, traffic accident, hurricane warning and more. You can cancel your trip for any reason and still get 75 percent of the costs covered. You get medical coverage of $250,000, trip interruption and evacuation coverage of $550,000 and renter’s collision insurance for $30.

• Universal multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips each year lasting up to 90 days each. The plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation coverage, including medical and non-medical of up to $100,000 and emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible. You’ll also get baggage coverage of up to $1,000 covering damage, lost baggage and delays. Quotes are available online.

• Elite multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips a year lasting up to 90 days each and want higher coverage limits. The Elite plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation benefits including medical and nonmedical of up to $250,000 and emergency medical benefits coverage of up to $100,000 with no deductible. You also receive baggage coverage of up to $2,500 for delayed, lost or damaged baggage.

• Trip cancellation plan: This plan is designed for people who are concerned about their trip being cancelled due to weather or natural disasters, unexpected employment issues, terrorism and the health of relatives. You can purchase an Any Reason Cancellation upgrade to cover 100 percent of the cost of your trip for any reason. Specifics include: Must be under 80 years old to purchase, days traveled must not exceed 60 days and the maximum trip must not cost more than $20,000 per person. Check out a full list of details online and get a free quote.

• Best for: single-trip and multi-trip international travelers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky