Find a Travel Insurance partner

2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

3.9/5 (132 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About APRIL Travel Protection

APRIL Travel Protection makes travel insurance simple. Whether you are looking for single trip plans, multi trip plans, or trip cancellation plans, the team at APRIL Travel Protection is ready to assist you. Contact us today to get a quote or to learn more about our service!

APRIL Travel Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I am a European expat living in the US and my annual premium with April International is $6000. I am in the process of trying to get April International to cover an MRI I need because of pain I am experiencing in my pelvis. The cause is unknown but could be fibroids, endometriosis, adenomyosis, pelvic inflammatory disease... it is impossible to tell without the MRI. This is affecting my health and potentially my future fertility. They refuse to cover an MRI to diagnose my condition despite my Doctor submitting multiple requests and also refused a peer to peer review suggested by my doctor (standard practice in the US if an insurance company denies a claim) to go over my symptoms and case in more detail. They refused this review with the reasoning that their medical board is in France. They have phones and computers in France so not sure why this is an acceptable reason when I pay $6000 per year for their services.

My Doctor says this is one of the worst experiences she has ever had with an insurance company denying essential care. In my Doctor's words they are refusing to cover anything to do with female reproductive organs and my uterus. I am an otherwise healthy woman in her mid thirties with no other claims made on this insurance aside from the usual annual Doctor's appointments and their refusal to cover essential gynecological care and imaging that is needed to diagnose the cause of my pain is in my mind sexual discrimination. I would advise all women to use another provider for health cover and avoid April International for themselves and their families.

Tracey,

Unfortunately, you've contacted & provided a review with the wrong company. We are APRIL Travel Protection which sells short-term travel insurance (typically for leisure vacations) strictly to U.S. residents. However, we do have the contact information for some individuals in Europe that manage the Expatriate Insurance Program you're likely a part of & will be happy to pass your comments on to them. We'll send you a private response following this message to gather more info.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

On February 20, 2020 nearly one year ago I purchased a ticket to a conference event that was scheduled for August 14, 2020 In Los Angeles, California. I purchased insurance on this ticket via April Travel Protection. As the date was approaching, due to Covid the event was rescheduled not once but twice and subsequently canceled. The date was moved to November 2020 in New York and then changed again to California for December 2020 before being canceled completely. Attendees received no correspondence from the event or insurance provider. They discontinued use of their social media and website and have stopped giving updates and responding to requests. Many like myself have lost airlines fees and ticket fees with no communication from both the event and April Travel Protection. In addition to their canceling of the event and unprofessionalism I have had both illness and surgery.

I had surgery September 2020 and my doctor provided documentation that I will not be able to travel. Despite me giving ample documentation from my doctor and the fact that this event may not even occur! April Travel protection has refused to refund my ticket. I submitted this evidence in November and despite hearing nothing from their claim adjuster while they "reviewed" for three months, they finally reached back out and refused to issue a refund. Not only was this event canceled, but additionally my doctor said I cannot fly or travel.

I know that covid may cause companies to lose money but is not appropriate for them to deny refunds and pocket consumers money for events that did not occur. Also, they were very inappropriate with regards to my medical records. My doctor said he did not clear me to travel. They then went back and forth requesting more and more of my medical records and personal information debating with my doctor. Please do not purchase insurance with this company. They do not act fairly or appropriately. It is a scam.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I purchased cruise insurance from April Insurance for a 14 day cruise. I paid $1,100 for insuring my wife and myself. My cruise was canceled because of the pandemic. My cruise company was kind enough to apply my cruise cost to a shorter 10 day cruise we booked for a later date, as well as giving me credit for the four days we will not be using.

I contacted April Insurance to ask for a refund of the difference between the 14 day cruise insurance and the 10 day cruise insurance. I was told they do not refund monies once you pay for the policy. I was also informed that if I had paid for a 10 day cruise which was canceled and then decided to book a 14 day cruise instead, I would have to pay for the additional 4 days. That is understandable. But not returning monies for a shortened cruise is UNFAIR! What is the justification to charge more for extra days and not refund for fewer days? We cruise often, and there are plenty of other companies that will be quite happy to get my and your business. Every business I know of is making many allowances because of situations resulting from the pandemic. As far as I'm concerned, April Insurance is not one of them.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We have been in contact with Mr. Richard and were able to grant an exception for his unique situation. He has received his settlement and is very pleased with the outcome.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Well once again I've been suckered by the insurance industry and their complete unwillingness to fulfill liability. My April Travel Ins policy for trip dated 3-6-2020 to 3-14-2020 where I encountered a flight delay and diversion to Newark instead of JFK claim denied! Now I was not trying to claim more than only my transportation from Newark back to Kennedy airport. A $60 SUV rental to fit equipment and luggage plus the port authority and Triboro Bridge auth. tolls of $25.00. I was also going to ask for my United airline equipment baggage $200 fee but Swiss Air proved to be very generous and understanding about reimbursing that. So for $85 April Ins. asks for you to stand on your head so that they can take refuge behind what they want to be caused by Pandemic that had not yet been declared! Do not buy travel Ins. It is an absolute joke to make a claim!!

APRIL Travel Protection response

Unfortunately, Charles never filed a claim so it's not accurate that his claim was denied. Following this review, our Claims Manager contacted & assisted Charles in opening his claim which will be adjudicated according to the terms & conditions of the policy. He was formerly advised of the benefits of the policy, what items are eligible for reimbursement, & under what conditions, so perhaps that's what he was referring to. We'll be happy to answer or assist Charles in any other was necessary.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I made a claim on my travel protection policy (trip had to be canceled for medical reasons not related to covid). April honored my claim in small part and, after hemming and hawing, eventually denied it in large part. The adjuster was not knowledgeable and when I pointed to the fact that her reason for denial is squarely contrary to the language of the policy, she ignored me. I am pursuing legal action against them and expect to assert a bad faith claim. Highly recommend that potential customers look elsewhere. In my case they ignored the provisions of their own policy and basically tried to rewrite it. Expect that the is SOP for them and they will probably do the same with others.

APRIL Travel Protection response

As William noted, he was reimbursed by April for the non-refundable items encountered. However, he was offered vouchers from his travel supplier which is considered compensation & was denied additional reimbursement for this. William states he never received these vouchers and preferred to receive cash refund. The travel supplier noted his comp would be after April 2021. Displeased with this outcome, William pursued legal action, which was settled this month to the satisfaction of both parties.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Updated on 09/26/2020: After my initial experience reviewing this company, they responded with nothing less than outright lies. I don't really know how to argue with an agency that refutes information as objective as a confirmation receipts. I literally have an insurance policy purchase receipt that is dated on March 2nd 2020, yet their customer "service" reps say this is false and the purchase date occurred at a later time that conveniently occurred after the cancel for any reason policy was discontinued.

My guess is Covid happened for them too and rather than supporting individuals in these trying times and providing a policy that is designed to mitigate risk, they were overextended and started covering their own necks by voiding legitimate policies, and expecting enough people won't care to fight it. I can't stress this enough. DO NOT take out an insurance policy with this company. Unfortunately, I am unable to respond to their response publicly, so they of course get the last word, take my word for it, April Travel is steamy pile of garbage. Choose a different Agency.

Original Review: Hello, I normally try and give level-headed reviews to give future consumers the assurance that my words are well thought out, truthful, and objective, but I have never been this irate with a company, so please bear with me if I sound angry, it’s because I am. Let me first start out with saying April Travel Insurance has demonstrated to me the most egregious act of deceit, fraud, and poor customer service that I have ever experienced.

Back in March I had to book a flight for my brother’s wedding. Knowing the uncertainties surrounding covid19, I decided to take out a “Cancel for any reason policy.” This policy should really be named “Cancel for any reason policy, unless you commit any of these dozens of loopholes that allow us to claim your policy void.” It is now September and after 6 months of back and forth, several contradictions made by at least 8 employees, 2 employee contact lead changes, and over a dozen document request hoops they made me jump through, they have finally responded that my claim is void because I did not insure my entire trip.

Let me break down what this means (please feel free to skip ahead to the resolution if you don’t want to get into the nitty gritty), I purchased a departing flight with the “cancel for any reason policy” by using credits from a flight I had to cancel the prior year. Also, I decided to book the return at a later date. After booking my other leg of the trip, I attempted to see if they would reimburse me for my return ticket, as well as the departing ticket. Rather than saying no we will only reimburse you for the ticket you purchased at the same time as your travel insurance policy, April Travel Insurance used my American Airlines documentation against me and stated that because I booked another ticket and wasn’t originally covered by policy my ENTIRE policy is now VOID.

Resolution: Long story short, I am extremely dissatisfied with the services of April Travel Insurance and urge you and anyone you know who is considering purchasing travel insurance during these trying times to steer clear of April. If any of the customer service reps who I see tactfully responding to these other negative reviews want to question any of these facts or my experience, I welcome you to try. I will directly counter any of your lies with documentation from the past 6 months of dealing with you all. Good riddance.

APRIL Travel Protection response

Multiple issues resulted in Matthew’s claim being denied. He got the policy to insure an air ticket bought in 2019. He incorrectly entered his Initial Trip Deposit Date as 03/02/20. His correct Initial Trip Deposit Date would not have allowed him to purchase Cancel For Any Reason Coverage (CFAR). His CFAR claim also required him to fully insure his trip cost which he did not. Processing delays were largely due to Matthew not submitting the required claim information in a timely manner.

Original review: June 30, 2020

This company will do everything in their power to keep you from successfully filing a claim and then when you finally jump through their thousand hoops that they set up for a claim they come back and ask for more documents and data. Then they will cheat you on the amount they pay. I had to cancel a trip due to COVID-19. My claim was for just a small amount of the lodging (under $200) that did not get refunded from the hotel.

They made me fill out 14 forms including all sorts of things related to airfare even though I wasn't claiming an air refund. It took almost a month to get them to finally send me the claim forms to complete in English (they were all in Spanish) and when I got the forms, the instructions and language was impossible to comprehend. Then they made me scan all 14 documents (not allowed to compete online or to mail them). Then they made me wait 2 more months and I finally got some money, but they had subtracted a deductible.

There was nothing in the original contract when I bought the policy about a deductible! This was a tiny claim - I can't imagine what would have happened if I had a larger claim. I ended up getting less back than what I paid for the policies to begin with. It took 3 months of constant follow up and concerted effort. When I would email it took 4 or more follow ups to get them to reply to each email. I'm sure they were just trying to annoy me so much that I would just decide it wasn't worth the aggravation and I would just drop the claim. However, the principle of it made me dig in even harder.

Jennifer,

Terrawind is a completely separate organization with no shared staff, systems or day-to-day affiliation with April Travel Protection. We have received a response from their management that they are looking into your case. Your complaint was misplaced & we would appreciate you updating your complaint against us accordingly.

Janet Garces

Claims Manager

Original review: May 29, 2020

My travel plans have all been canceled for June 2020 travel due to Covid19. Cancellation was by the airlines and my hotel. Both airlines and hotel have given me a full refund. Since I am not traveling and all my money is being refunded, I don't need the travel insurance issued by APRIL TRAVEL PROTECTION. I requested a refund, might I add it is ONLY$139.00. I don't think this will break the bank for them to refund my money. I was told by Yani ** Account Manager I would have a credit with them for 2 years. So for 2 years they are holding my cash and earning interest. This should be fully refunded back to me since I am no longer in need. And because of the current WORLD situation of Covid19.

I am curious if a class action lawsuit is in the future for this company? I am going to my diligent part as a consumer to review about their poor customer service and leave a truthful reviews on every website I can. $139 may not seem like a lot of money, but to me it would make a difference in the quality of life for me and my family. SHAME on you Yani ** and APRIL Travel Protection.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We are sorry that your trip was cancelled & understand you would like your policy refunded. Unfortunately, the policy is only refundable within 10 days of purchase. Despite it being non-refundable after that & you having used the Trip Cancellation Benefit for 6 months, our underwriter has still allowed for you to reuse the full value of your policy for another trip within 2 years.

In terms of our service, we replied to your email inquiry within 45 minutes.

Original review: April 21, 2020

April Travel Protection sold me a policy for $742.08. They were very friendly when I was purchasing their product. When my trip was cancelled I called to make a claim. They denied it in full because of the pandemic. The representative was very condescending and Told me to read the 24 pages of the policy that included the exclusion for a pandemic. I ask for help with getting my money back from 2 airlines and the tour company but they would not assist with that either. If this was an upstanding, reputable company they would refund some of the money thousands of policyholders affected by this unfortunate interruption have lost. Auto insurers like Geico, Allstate, Travelers, and Liberty Mutual insurance have stepped up to the plate. What about April Travel Protection offering the same goodwill gesture? Otherwise, It just looks as if they stole our money.

Original review: April 6, 2020

This negative review results from the manner in which I have been treated by the sales staff of April International in Paris while applying for a health insurance policy. I initially came to them in good faith, specifically noting that at midnight on 3 April 2020 my own policy will have expired. Due to the Coronavirus epidemic I found myself stranded in France and subsequently decided to extend my three month stay till September. Ms Charlene ** was assigned to my application and was initially sympathetic, guaranteeing that this would be expedited by my 3 April deadline.

It appeared that next day approval changed to an additional 72 hour wait and then nothing, despite the fact that I promptly provided all the information requested by the medical department. To aggravate the situation, Ms. ** lacked transparency by never giving me the courtesy to return my many phone calls. On the morning of 4 April, I found myself in a serious position; now I was without medical insurance for the first time in my life. I was stranded in a foreign country in the middle of a severe pandemic. I made call after call to address my concerns with Ms **, but she was never back to me.

For more than a week after my first call to April International Paris, it became unclear if I would ever be insured. This has not spoken well regarding the effectiveness of the staff. It is considered that this stalling, deceiving and ignoring a prospective client, at least in many countries, is both a dereliction of one's responsibilities, but also an example of awful customer service.

Finally on 6 April an email confirmed what I anticipated, a rejection by the medical team. No reason was given for this rejection despite the fact that I provided the required information pointing to my good health. This is unacceptable in most cultures and definitely in mine. I want to know the medical reasons for my rejection. This is my ethical right. I truly rate April International Paris as unreliable in the manner it summarily deals with prospective clients and its unethical way of decision rendering without transparency.

Howard,

Unfortunately, you've contacted the wrong company as we are APRIL Travel Protection based in Miami. We do not sell health insurance. We sell travel insurance. Please visit www.April.com to get directed to the appropriate office.

APRIL Travel Protection author review by Matthew Brodsky

APRIL International offers multiple travel insurance plans for anyone traveling internationally. Coverage includes medical, death and disability, trip cancellation, baggage and more. It has a presence across 37 countries to help cover your single-trip and annual multi-trip plans.

• Economy single-trip plan: The economy single-trip plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to situations like injury, sickness, death, supplier default, weather, natural disasters, terrorism, military duty, strikes, and more. You get emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible and a pre existing condition waiver if you purchase your policy within 14 days of making your trip deposit or payment. Finally, you get tip interruption and evacuation coverage of up to $250,000. Free quotes are available online.

• VIP single-trip plan: This plan is great for families taking a trip lasting up to 60 days and wants higher coverage limits and optional upgrades. This plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to all the situations included in our Economy Plan as well as pregnancy, job loss, traffic accident, hurricane warning and more. You can cancel your trip for any reason and still get 75 percent of the costs covered. You get medical coverage of $250,000, trip interruption and evacuation coverage of $550,000 and renter’s collision insurance for $30.

• Universal multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips each year lasting up to 90 days each. The plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation coverage, including medical and non-medical of up to $100,000 and emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible. You’ll also get baggage coverage of up to $1,000 covering damage, lost baggage and delays. Quotes are available online.

• Elite multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips a year lasting up to 90 days each and want higher coverage limits. The Elite plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation benefits including medical and nonmedical of up to $250,000 and emergency medical benefits coverage of up to $100,000 with no deductible. You also receive baggage coverage of up to $2,500 for delayed, lost or damaged baggage.

• Trip cancellation plan: This plan is designed for people who are concerned about their trip being cancelled due to weather or natural disasters, unexpected employment issues, terrorism and the health of relatives. You can purchase an Any Reason Cancellation upgrade to cover 100 percent of the cost of your trip for any reason. Specifics include: Must be under 80 years old to purchase, days traveled must not exceed 60 days and the maximum trip must not cost more than $20,000 per person. Check out a full list of details online and get a free quote.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor