2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.06/5

APRIL Travel Protection makes travel insurance simple. Whether you are looking for single trip plans, multi trip plans, or trip cancellation plans, the team at APRIL Travel Protection is ready to assist you. Contact us today to get a quote or to learn more about our service!

APRIL Travel Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about APRIL Travel Protection?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 30, 2020

This company will do everything in their power to keep you from successfully filing a claim and then when you finally jump through their thousand hoops that they set up for a claim they come back and ask for more documents and data. Then they will cheat you on the amount they pay. I had to cancel a trip due to COVID-19. My claim was for just a small amount of the lodging (under $200) that did not get refunded from the hotel.

They made me fill out 14 forms including all sorts of things related to airfare even though I wasn't claiming an air refund. It took almost a month to get them to finally send me the claim forms to complete in English (they were all in Spanish) and when I got the forms, the instructions and language was impossible to comprehend. Then they made me scan all 14 documents (not allowed to compete online or to mail them). Then they made me wait 2 more months and I finally got some money, but they had subtracted a deductible.

There was nothing in the original contract when I bought the policy about a deductible! This was a tiny claim - I can't imagine what would have happened if I had a larger claim. I ended up getting less back than what I paid for the policies to begin with. It took 3 months of constant follow up and concerted effort. When I would email it took 4 or more follow ups to get them to reply to each email. I'm sure they were just trying to annoy me so much that I would just decide it wasn't worth the aggravation and I would just drop the claim. However, the principle of it made me dig in even harder.

Jennifer,

Terrawind is a completely separate organization with no shared staff, systems or day-to-day affiliation with April Travel Protection. We have received a response from their management that they are looking into your case. Your complaint was misplaced & we would appreciate you updating your complaint against us accordingly.

Claims Manager

Original review: May 29, 2020

My travel plans have all been canceled for June 2020 travel due to Covid19. Cancellation was by the airlines and my hotel. Both airlines and hotel have given me a full refund. Since I am not traveling and all my money is being refunded, I don't need the travel insurance issued by APRIL TRAVEL PROTECTION. I requested a refund, might I add it is ONLY$139.00. I don't think this will break the bank for them to refund my money. I was told by Yani ** Account Manager I would have a credit with them for 2 years. So for 2 years they are holding my cash and earning interest. This should be fully refunded back to me since I am no longer in need. And because of the current WORLD situation of Covid19.

I am curious if a class action lawsuit is in the future for this company? I am going to my diligent part as a consumer to review about their poor customer service and leave a truthful reviews on every website I can. $139 may not seem like a lot of money, but to me it would make a difference in the quality of life for me and my family. SHAME on you Yani ** and APRIL Travel Protection.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We are sorry that your trip was cancelled & understand you would like your policy refunded. Unfortunately, the policy is only refundable within 10 days of purchase. Despite it being non-refundable after that & you having used the Trip Cancellation Benefit for 6 months, our underwriter has still allowed for you to reuse the full value of your policy for another trip within 2 years.

In terms of our service, we replied to your email inquiry within 45 minutes.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2020

April Travel Protection sold me a policy for $742.08. They were very friendly when I was purchasing their product. When my trip was cancelled I called to make a claim. They denied it in full because of the pandemic. The representative was very condescending and Told me to read the 24 pages of the policy that included the exclusion for a pandemic. I ask for help with getting my money back from 2 airlines and the tour company but they would not assist with that either. If this was an upstanding, reputable company they would refund some of the money thousands of policyholders affected by this unfortunate interruption have lost. Auto insurers like Geico, Allstate, Travelers, and Liberty Mutual insurance have stepped up to the plate. What about April Travel Protection offering the same goodwill gesture? Otherwise, It just looks as if they stole our money.

Original review: April 6, 2020

This negative review results from the manner in which I have been treated by the sales staff of April International in Paris while applying for a health insurance policy. I initially came to them in good faith, specifically noting that at midnight on 3 April 2020 my own policy will have expired. Due to the Coronavirus epidemic I found myself stranded in France and subsequently decided to extend my three month stay till September. Ms Charlene ** was assigned to my application and was initially sympathetic, guaranteeing that this would be expedited by my 3 April deadline.

It appeared that next day approval changed to an additional 72 hour wait and then nothing, despite the fact that I promptly provided all the information requested by the medical department. To aggravate the situation, Ms. ** lacked transparency by never giving me the courtesy to return my many phone calls. On the morning of 4 April, I found myself in a serious position; now I was without medical insurance for the first time in my life. I was stranded in a foreign country in the middle of a severe pandemic. I made call after call to address my concerns with Ms **, but she was never back to me.

For more than a week after my first call to April International Paris, it became unclear if I would ever be insured. This has not spoken well regarding the effectiveness of the staff. It is considered that this stalling, deceiving and ignoring a prospective client, at least in many countries, is both a dereliction of one's responsibilities, but also an example of awful customer service.

Finally on 6 April an email confirmed what I anticipated, a rejection by the medical team. No reason was given for this rejection despite the fact that I provided the required information pointing to my good health. This is unacceptable in most cultures and definitely in mine. I want to know the medical reasons for my rejection. This is my ethical right. I truly rate April International Paris as unreliable in the manner it summarily deals with prospective clients and its unethical way of decision rendering without transparency.

Howard,

Unfortunately, you've contacted the wrong company as we are APRIL Travel Protection based in Miami. We do not sell health insurance. We sell travel insurance. Please visit www.April.com to get directed to the appropriate office.

Original review: April 6, 2020

I have been trying to reach three departments in April Travel since 3/13, hoping to at least receive a response from one. No response from any department! I have a policy for March and October with them, very, very disappointed! We travel frequently and will not use this agency again due to poor customer service.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I purchased travel insurance with April Insurance last summer 2019 when I booked my flights to the Philippines for travel in April 2020. Korean Airlines was my international carrier to Cebu. The Philippines government issued a "lockdown" on Cebu banning international flights. Korean Air re-routed my trip to and from Bangkok, which was useless, so I cancelled the flights. Korean offered to rebook if I made a reservation before June 30, 2020 for a trip to take place by July 30, 2020. Useless!!! The customer service agent I spoke to at April Insurance informed me that I was ineligible for a claim because it was due to the coronavirus. Are you kidding me?!?! Don't purchase travel insurance from this group! Our government should look into insurance companies who are using the coronavirus as an excuse to avoid claims.

APRIL Travel Protection response

We're sorry that you were dissatisfied with the coverage on your plan. Unfortunately, Pandemics are an exclusion in mostly every travel insurance policy throughout the world. If you Google the topic, you'll find this to be true.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

APRIL Travel Protection

Original review: March 24, 2020

I bought a travel protection insurance policy from April twice. The first time was back in October of 2019 and now just recent March of 2020. I’ve never had to call them for a claim until recently when my flight was interrupted and canceled, not my fault. So I have to purchase a new airline ticket with another airline, come to find out even though The summary of my benefits clearly states that it covers trip cancellation and trip interruptions I was told no when I called. Because it is due to the coronavirus. The customer service rep then explain to me that it’s clearly on their website. I’ve never seen this on their website and I personally feel that April is misleading their customer by not telling them about this. All I ask is for a refund on the policy that I paid for that is useless. There’s a difference between companies that care about their customers and those that don’t. Guess which one you are April.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Do not buy this insurance. Trying to reach them for 3 days. They don't answer emails and don't call back and they don't take claims online. I got sick and can't go plus one of our flight was canceled. Send like 5 emails no respond. Tried phone - no luck either. Look for other insurance. Do not buy this one.

Tatiana,

Please let us know your policy # so we can help you. We do have online claims & just need to get you initiated with that process. Please excuse any delays you've experienced in call or email responses as our industry has been going through an unprecedented increase in service requests due to the Coronavirus.

Thanks,

Claims Manager

Original review: March 11, 2020

I just called to confirm coverage for an upcoming trip since the Coronavirus is big right now. They removed the cancellation coverage from their site and said no we will be out of the money if we have to cancel. I bought coverage since we are going across the country costing us about $7,000.00 for my trip. If we can't go we're screwed out of our money even though we purchased 100% cancellation coverage policy. SAVE YOUR MONEY THIS IS A SCAM!!

APRIL Travel Protection response

Our nation was made aware of the COVID-19 in January 2020 and the travel insurance industry announced this to be a known event on January 22, 2020. Typical of nearly every travel insurance policy available in the U.S., Pandemics are listed as an exclusion in the plan Mrs. Gedling bought. Purchasing a policy after the known event date for COVID-19 of January 22nd (coupled with the pandemic exclusion) means that benefits will not apply to issues arising from that virus/pandemic.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Honestly I thought paying extra for this coverage was going to make it easy to get my money back... NOPE. I paid for this insurance to cover a ticket for Countdown which is a festival and a couple days before the event I got a grade 3 torn hamstring. Of course they asked for signed documents which I got emailed to me from my doctor. So I forwarded them the email and because it seemed fake they didn’t want to accept it. Just because the medical facility didn’t have a website. The note had my doctors email, phone number and address and yet that was enough. Don’t buy this insurance ever! Here I am stuck at home in crutches with over a hundred dollars less in my pocket.

APRIL Travel Protection author review by Matthew Brodsky

APRIL International offers multiple travel insurance plans for anyone traveling internationally. Coverage includes medical, death and disability, trip cancellation, baggage and more. It has a presence across 37 countries to help cover your single-trip and annual multi-trip plans.

• Economy single-trip plan: The economy single-trip plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to situations like injury, sickness, death, supplier default, weather, natural disasters, terrorism, military duty, strikes, and more. You get emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible and a pre existing condition waiver if you purchase your policy within 14 days of making your trip deposit or payment. Finally, you get tip interruption and evacuation coverage of up to $250,000. Free quotes are available online.

• VIP single-trip plan: This plan is great for families taking a trip lasting up to 60 days and wants higher coverage limits and optional upgrades. This plan covers 100% of your trip costs due to all the situations included in our Economy Plan as well as pregnancy, job loss, traffic accident, hurricane warning and more. You can cancel your trip for any reason and still get 75 percent of the costs covered. You get medical coverage of $250,000, trip interruption and evacuation coverage of $550,000 and renter’s collision insurance for $30.

• Universal multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips each year lasting up to 90 days each. The plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation coverage, including medical and non-medical of up to $100,000 and emergency medical coverage of up to $50,000 with no deductible. You’ll also get baggage coverage of up to $1,000 covering damage, lost baggage and delays. Quotes are available online.

• Elite multi-trip plan: This plan is made for people who take more than three trips a year lasting up to 90 days each and want higher coverage limits. The Elite plan includes trip interruption coverage of up to $5,000, evacuation benefits including medical and nonmedical of up to $250,000 and emergency medical benefits coverage of up to $100,000 with no deductible. You also receive baggage coverage of up to $2,500 for delayed, lost or damaged baggage.

• Trip cancellation plan: This plan is designed for people who are concerned about their trip being cancelled due to weather or natural disasters, unexpected employment issues, terrorism and the health of relatives. You can purchase an Any Reason Cancellation upgrade to cover 100 percent of the cost of your trip for any reason. Specifics include: Must be under 80 years old to purchase, days traveled must not exceed 60 days and the maximum trip must not cost more than $20,000 per person. Check out a full list of details online and get a free quote.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor