3.8/5 (158 ratings)

About Viking Ranges

Viking is a luxury appliance manufacturer that offers high-performance ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers and more. Its ranges are available in a variety of burner configurations, sizes and fuel types. Customers see the widest variety of options with Viking gas ranges or dual-fuel models. Viking electric ranges or induction ranges have fewer size or configuration options, but these models are still feature-rich and can be customized by color.

Pros

• Luxury designs and materials
  • Customizable
  • Long-lasting
  • Promotional offers and rebates

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Expensive

Bottom Line

Viking is a U.S.-based luxury appliance manufacturer. It sells ranges in different sizes, burner configurations and fuel types. Its products can be expensive, but they’re designed to last.

Viking Ranges Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Ranges?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Original review: March 30, 2021

Viking Ranges was one of the higher-end ranges in the store where we bought it. Having the same size burners on all four on top was attractive to us and the ability to clean up the top compared to some of the other ones. It didn't take long to install the range but we had problems with it for almost two months. The stove wouldn't light on the first try and it took several tries for it to light. We had a technician in. He had to come back four times before he was finally able to figure out what was wrong with it. It was easy enough to get the reps. They come and do it, and think they had it fixed. We'd call them back and then, it would take them a week to come back but they were good to deal with. We're generally happy. The broiler is amazing in it.

Original review: March 29, 2021

I had a lot of problems initially with the installation and the installers claimed it was a Viking issue regarding some alignment of the doors. But I've had no issues with the appliances themselves. The quality has been great but the one service that I had wasn't. Viking contracted it out and the person who came out acted like he's never seen this model of range before. I was disappointed with the service.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Bought used in 1998. Still working great. Converted from natural gas to propane. Newer models have more precise temperature control, but I am happy with this old workhorse. It has a huge oven, stovetop has 4 burners plus a large griddle. Stove is 36" wide.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

My previous range was also a Viking, when I went to replace I looked at a number of different models and ended up with another Viking. Love the range. The only issue is that the burners aren’t sealed so it difficult to clean.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

The Viking D3 Range and Oven have performed beautifully. The high quality materials and solid construction leaves them still looking new and working well after 8 years of daily use. Viking lives up to its reputation for commercial grade quality and durability in a household appliance.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Not the greatest service for a pretty pricey appliance. The grid was kind of hard to maintain. Overtime, the grill top did look discolored (supposed to be normal) but it kind of bothered us as we had an open kitchen concept. Otherwise, best gas stove we have had so far in-term of cooking/pots - the grill top in the center and 2 cooking grids on either side.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

When it works it works great. I have this stove over 10 yrs. Easy to clean but the controls on the oven parts are not so great. Problems is getting service on this stove nearby. It's a commercial quality stove and somewhat an overkill for the average homeowner. Newer stoves today have more electronic controls while this stove doesn't. I can interchange both natural and propane gas.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

It is a gas stove top with 4 burners. It is very easy to adjust the flame for each. Also, the oven has multiple settings for regular and convection baking. The range has been flawless in the 3 years we have had it.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Viking makes a professional line of stoves that are great for a home kitchen. You can cook using large pots, grill, have a convection oven, etc. I love the variation of btu's for the burners. They have a large selection of stove and drop-in stovetops to choose from and they are built in the United States.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I would recommend it given its price. The knobs are hard to read because they are under the edge of the stove. A friend who has the same commercial model as I considers herself to be quite the baker. She has been disappointed in the results in this stove. The inside of my oven door has been scratched by the racks. I have never had that happen before with other stoves. I am certain that many less expensive stoves perform as well.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Professional quality unit. Perfect temperature control and easy cleaning. There is no better piece of kitchen equipment. The controls are professional quality but easy for non-professionals to use. There are other similar brands but none of the same quality.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

We got a Viking Range and one of the burners is not working. The place where I purchased it, Ferguson in Pasadena, sent a repairperson to come and it turned out one of the modules was not working. They were surprised that the module wasn't tested before it left the factory. We ordered a module and they are scheduled to come out and replace that. Also, some of the knobs with which I turn the range are starting to become really sticky and it's taking a bit of force to turn them. Usually, when I turn the range on, I push it in, turn and then I'll hear the clicker start and the burner will come on. Now, I can't feel whether I'm pushing it in or not and the turning isn't as smooth.

Otherwise, the burning is fine. Ferguson was very helpful in getting the repairperson and with scheduling. If something like this occurred after maybe a year or two of use then I would say "Well, maybe the product was kind of defective and using it made it fail." But this is right out of the gate, less than 30 days. I'm having to deal with these two situations in a premium range. I have the Viking hood and microwave oven. They're all working fine except for this range which is not living up to the Viking reputation.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

We had trouble with the hinges a month or so ago. They came out and replaced the hinges. But I felt that no older than it was, it should have held up better than that. Other than that, I like the stove. I purchased it from a friend that works at Southern Pipe and it was delivered right on time.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

We just got a range that we knew had worked for many years. They're a little expensive, but the quality is excellent, so it may be worth it. One time, we were doing routine cleaning and it was very dark in there even with the light on. I turned the flashlight and I could see that there was a scratch. For the price-point we paid, it shouldn't be scratched already. It's a year old. I called somebody and he took all my information. He said that they would call me to set up a person to come take a look at it and nobody followed up with that. That was two months ago. But then I like all of this range. It's very easy to clean, and the heat is very easy to control.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

We went to Voitek and Viking was offering a buy-one-appliance-get-one-free in 2019. When we were buying the stuff, the sales rep was fabulous. But I've had some problems with my Viking products. During the beginning of COVID, I had to be very understanding about trying to get people out here to fix it. But once COVID uplifted, they kinda dropped the ball for me. We couldn't get anybody to help. Then I reached out to Viking myself and now Viking is trying to help me. But cooking the range is fabulous. It's my favorite product in the whole world. I love to cook on it and to bake in it. I love to do everything with it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I had a Viking range in my last house and I liked it. I like gas cooking. However, when it came, the front griddle was scratched. Viking put in a ticket for service to get that replaced. They came out once. The tech couldn't do it. Came out again. He couldn't do it. Came out the third time with the replacement burners. Instead of being the silver, they were rose gold. Came back a fourth time. Now, this is only being here to make sure he could get in. In the meantime, also the griddle came. It was rusted. I just got that griddle three weeks ago after purchasing back in August. I love the product but the service was horrendous. I have all Viking in my house. I got another French door oven, the dishwashers, the microwave. It was terrible. A lot of my time spent trying to get things fixed that I shouldn't have been spending time on. Nobody listens to me.

There was so much trouble trying to get the stove in and get it to be finished that I almost said to them, “Come and take it back.” Putting in tickets, waiting here for people to come to the house during COVID. Coming in, he couldn't fix it. Hours taking the whole stove apart, putting stuff all over the floor. Meaning that when his visits came, like the one time he came at 4:00 and I would start cooking dinner around 4:30, he came until 6:30. A lot of little problem things that shouldn't have had to happen. And then they give you a window of eight hours that they will be there. So, you take a day off work. That was just the messy part of it. I did that three times. But the products that they make, I absolutely love. I've had them in my last two homes, and I have a 48- inch stove fuel and I love it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Initially, we had a difficulty with baking, and then the temperature just cut off. It ended up taking an hour and a half to bake one sheet of cookies after it had warmed up for a good 20 and then 40 minutes. It took a long time. Someone came out, and he said nothing was wrong with and it hasn't done it since. But so far, so good.

I live in an area that is lower population. We don't have as many service people to service. Initially, I was told I would have to wait a month to a month and a half for someone to come out and look at it. I pleaded with the gal on the phone. “Well, it’s just before Christmas, and I have a four-year old. And we're looking forward to baking.” Lo and behold, someone had availability in their schedule. She called me right away and said, “I can get you in right away. Are you available?” I said, “Of course, I am.” I was disappointed in that. I said, “Gosh, if I had any future issues, it would be a bummer to have to wait that long for service.”

In addition, I can’t get a pizza pan to go all the way in. It's not the depth of the oven. It just needs to be an inch and a half further in depth, and then a regular pizza pan could fit in. That was shocking to me. We ran into it on the first day of our move. We had the movers here and I thought, “Oh, I'll just pick up pizzas and cook them in the oven.” Because we live a ways out from any pizza place. I had to cut all the pizzas in order for them to fit into the oven, which is a pain in the neck. And then anytime I go to fix a pizza, I can't use the basic pizza pan, which is a bummer. Other than that, I've enjoyed using the stove top, and the oven has been great since. I've been happy.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Viking appliance are beautiful to look at, however, the quality of them, not so much. I bought a suite of Viking products in 2009 (Stove, Refrigerator, Hood, Convection Microwave, Dishwasher) and have had consistent problems with them since day one. The range being the worst. It's an all-gas 30" model. The surface burners on the range work beautifully. They have gotten me through holiday and entertainment cooking when the oven would stop working. It seem that the oven has a known issue caused by cooking at high temperatures (400 degrees) for a period of time. Not only does the knob control area get so hot that you need an oven mitt to touch them it also, over time, burns out the circuitry that is behind those knobs, caused by condensation and/or heat.

The last incident was the icing on the cake when the oven wouldn't shut off. I had to turn the oven off at the breaker -- a safety issue no doubt. The circuitry is clearly fried again from cooking a chicken in the oven at 425. (The same faulty circuit board was replaced exactly one year ago.) Viking has told me before that the molding needs to be replaced, which it was. No change in heat coming out. The door shuts fine and solid from what I can tell. A recall was done on the stove that supposedly corrects the oven from turning on by itself. I sense that wasn't fixed because I couldn't get the oven to turn off the last time I had an issue.

In a recent email correspondence with Viking, a parts tech said that a fan needs to be repaired or installed under the range-top area where the circuitry is housed. What?! There is no fan and who's paying for that work-around. (Honestly I don't think he knew what he was talking about. This is Viking (Middleby) customer service, mind you.) I don't use my oven that much as I'm usually grilling. I probably use it 10-15 times per year and rely on a larger Breville toaster oven to roast/bake smaller things for the two of us. (That appliance has saved me many times and is worth every penny and has lasted well beyond the life of the Viking stove, at a fraction of the price.)

I've given up on Viking, as other appliances in this suite have been problematic just as much. I stopped using the dishwasher years ago. That's a saga unto itself. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't You never know. You get a light show on the control panel telling you why it failed cleaning. My point here is that Viking Appliances needs to be held 'accountable' for the quality of their products. Supposedly they are premier appliances that should be built to last. The Consumer Safety Commission needs to be aware as well, especially with regard to safety concerns with the range. I can't in good faith recommend buying a product from this company. Again, they look great but they just don't hold up. I will buy American again but not them!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

In the company that I worked for, we use Viking Ranges a lot in the house remodels that we built. They are the ones that a lot of people favor. The installation process was simple. Also, I like the quality and everything. The only issue that we had was, when it arrived, the knobs were in the wrong spots. But they got fixed quickly. It happened right around Thanksgiving, too, when we installed the oven. We thought something was wrong with the oven. The homeowners spent Thanksgiving at their other house versus this one, because of the oven. They weren’t sure if the oven would work. I called Viking Marin. They specifically deal with Viking Ranges and appliances. I guess they're a licensed Viking repair place, but they weren't covered under the Viking warranty package. I had to call several other places, and that was a hassle.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I've had Viking for years. The ranges in the past were better quality than the one that I just got which is the Viking Tuscany series. The griddle didn't work and one of the ovens didn't work too. I am happy with the product but it's unfortunate we had a couple of little issues to get sorted out.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I've had the range for less than a year and there were all these things wrong with it. We had to have the repair people out. I purchased it through Abt and they did not have a repair person out for six weeks. I was without a stove over Thanksgiving and up to about a week before Christmas. I was not happy. Abt said those stoves are solid. But they're not reliable quality machines. I'm very upset with the whole thing. Now we purchased a Viking convection, that we cooked a little bit. But it's not the same. So I'm not happy with it. I would appreciate a call from Viking. I should be given some kind of five-year warranty on this because I don't know what's going to happen. I don't trust the machine.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Viking is got a good name and I liked the size of the burners. The range is dual fuel, which is what I wanted. Right now, there’s a very narrow slot in the back of the range for the gas piping. If that slot could be made larger, it would make it easier to conceal the piping. Viking could also put in a smaller burner. Because right now, you've got four large burners, and sometimes you only got to cook with a small pan. But I like the ignition. It lights up really quick. It's a good stove.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I like that the burner of the Viking range is bigger than the other ones so I bought it. But I don't like the range. There is too much problem with the oven. Within six months, the oven is not working properly and there is a problem with the cleaning. The large shaft doesn't come out. So you have to maintain the range. When I turn on the burner, it goes right away sometimes but sometimes it takes four attempts to put on. Viking sent me some specialist and they told me there is a problem with the part. But the range is just one year old and it's expensive too. I never recommend this product anymore.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I bought two Viking ranges the same day. I heard it worked well. One of them is great. The thing I wish they had was a clock and a timer. However, the other one's a piece of junk and I can't seem to get it fixed. When it gets fixed, it works well. When you have problems, you have lots of them. When I get one part fixed, something else is wrong with it. First thing that happened was it would not bake. It would only broil. Then when you turned on the convection oven, it sounded like a 747 was landing in my kitchen. We got the 747 part fixed then the guy ordered a part to get the bake part working. That now works but the oven light doesn't come on. Now, he has to come back again with another board. The part mishaps has been going on way before Thanksgiving and the gentleman I finally got in touch with was kind of rude.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I had a Viking range when I lived in Southern California for 20 years and couldn't kill the thing. Initially, I purchased it for status. It looked so great in my house. With a culinary background, I quickly found out that this range was amazing. It performed. I moved and could not take it with me. We finally built our forever home and one of the requirements was that I bring that Viking back. I have a whole Viking kitchen.

The window in the range in the oven part of it is not the same as it used to be. This seems like it needs some kind of gasket around it. I sometimes see steam between the glass. I was told that's normal but it wasn't like that on my other range. But all in all, it works really well. I love it. I had a GE in another home and it was like junk. You couldn't clean it. It’d scratch. I took the air filters out and washed them. They fell apart the first time. You don't get that with Viking. It is a lot more money but you get what you pay for. I tell people if you're going to invest in appliances for your house, this is the way to go. It's everything you need and Viking stands behind their product.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

We have had a Wolf before. We had been led to believe by our salespeople that the Viking was on par with the Wolf but sadly, that was not true. It's a very expensive unit but it doesn't perform. It's something that we probably paid two or three times for what it's worth in terms of its performance. It's an extremely bad value for the dollar. We got scammed. I've reached out to our local company where we bought it from and I've let them do the communications for me. Nobody from the Viking company has ever called us. We'll never buy a Viking product again.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

The Viking hood that goes with the Viking range could not be installed in my house because I do not have 10-foot ceilings. We had to purchase a non-Viking hood to match the range. We did need to call in a repairman because the ovens weren't lighting nor were they maintaining the heat and the interior lights weren't coming on. He said that they were not plugged in on the interior. We had been using it for a year and exactly a year later, without moving the oven or anything else, it became unplugged from the inside. But because it was still under warranty, we had it serviced very quickly. The quality has been superb.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I went to culinary school and we used Viking ranges all the time so I know that they're reliable. They cook well and very evenly which is awesome. They usually don't break which is very good. Unfortunately, we had some problems with the one we got. The racks in it don't slide out. We also had a problem with one of the burners that wouldn't light. We're still waiting for pieces to come in for a few months now. The company has been fine but since they've come to fix it, we still haven't heard anything about the parts coming in. It would have been nicer to get kind of like an update.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

The Viking range is a good range. It has high heat. I selected it because I do a lot of stir-fry and I wanted something that has good heat control. However, it has some rattles that I don't like. I did have somebody come in and look at it. He corrected a few things and said, "Because it is a custom kitchen, there are some places that the range touched," which he said normally wouldn't have been the case in a traditional installation. He seemed to have a reason for it.

I was pleased when I called. I was smelling gas. They put me on to a service guy in New York. I was able to arrange a visit with him pretty quickly. He came over and corrected the problem very quickly. The pipe where the gas comes in was a little shifted. He was able to crack that. He said it wasn't a serious problem and it's been working fine since. I haven't smelled gas. He also explained to me what the situation was and the safety features with the Viking. If I was going to do it again, I wouldn't do it so quickly. I’d probably end up with a Viking because of the reputation and because of things I've heard. But I was kind of rushed when I made the purchase so I might have looked around a little more. But in terms of cooking, I'm very satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Viking has got a reputation that it has a very good product. We had a Thermador before and had problems with it so we decided to get a Viking. My husband's a cook and he decided this was what he wanted. When we called in a warranty issue with a fan for the stove, the people from Monterey who handle their warranty repairs came out. The guy was amazing. He did everything that he could find that needed to be done and he was here a few hours.

It seems like the whole stove works better since he came out. He came in to replace the fan but now we have lights above the knobs which we never had. It also seems like the burners are hotter. He was out here twice. He came out once and diagnosed the fan problem. Since it's an intermittent problem, the only way we were able to show him was that we videoed it. If we hadn't videoed it, they wouldn't have been able to handle it under warranty. I'm sure they're aware that this is an ongoing problem. I've read about it in the internet as well so my one thing would be when people make a complaint, they shouldn't have to go to the point of videotaping the problem for Viking to authorize the repair. Other than that, we love our Viking Range. It's a really good product.

Viking Ranges Company Information