Call toll free
4.42/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

Protect America Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Protect America has some of the most affordable home security packages on the market. Although their cancellation process could be better, setup is easy and reviews mention excellent customer service.

PROS

• Economically priced basic system
  • Simple DIY installation
  • Low price guarantee

CONS

• Inconvenient cancellation process

Top Protect America Reviews

05/07/2019

I've been a customer of Protect America for years and recently upgraded my system thru the online Chat. Great customer service! I have had a couple accidental activation over the years, too, and they respond very promptly. I'm confident that they'll be there if there's a real emergency.

06/01/2019

The customer service was so easy to get real-time support, promptly, while lounging on my couch. I accessed the real-time support from an iOS app that I downloaded. The interface of the app is so simple to use - very intuitive. No documentation needed. Simple and effective.

How does Protect America work?

Protect America offers simple, affordable home security systems with a straightforward DIY setup that takes less than an hour to complete. Using Protect America’s automation features, you can control settings throughout your home, like heating and cooling, lights, and powered window blinds. You don’t have to pay for equipment from Protect America, just the monthly monitoring fee.

Each Protect America home security system comes with free use of the Protect America app: SMART Connect. The app can arm and disarm the system, turn lights on and off, lock and unlock doors and stream video from security cameras.

Protect America cost

Protect America offers a low price guarantee, which is not at all common among home security companies. The cost for their Copper plan is already one of the lowest you will find anywhere for a good home security system. Protect America does not charge customers for the cost of equipment, just a monthly monitoring rate, which is another rarity.

PlanMonthly cost
Copper$19.99
Silver$37.99
Platinum$42.99

Protect America plans and packages

Protect America offers three plans: Copper, Silver and Platinum. The Platinum package costs slightly more than the Silver plan, but provides 5 additional sensors. The Copper plan is likely best for those with smaller homes who don’t need tons of equipment. Every package with a Protect America yard sign and decals. See what comes with each package below:

Copper planSilver planPlatinum plan
Copper plan3
Silver plan9
Platinum plan14

Protect America equipment

Once you’ve chosen your Protect America plan, you can purchase additional equipment to bolster your home’s security; such as, the Simon XTI control panel — a powerful device that can monitor and control up to 40 devices. You can also add the August Smart Lock Pro that allows you to unlock and lock doors, and the Linear Garage Door Controller controls your garage door remotely. With Z-Wave technology, you can manage all of these things plus your home's lighting under one network. Protect America’s system can also integrate with the Amazon Echo. Additional equipment from Protect America includes:

• Door and window sensors
  • Carbon monoxide detectors
  • Wireless cameras
  • Keypad locks

Protect America FAQ

How to cancel Protect America?
As with most companies, Protect America cancellation is a bit of a process. You need to send a written letter to Protect America 60 days before you want to cancel. If you cancel within 30 days of beginning the contract, you won’t have to pay anything except for a $19.95 activation charge.
What do reviews say about Protect America customer service?
Protect America security reviews speak highly of the company’s customer service and mention quick technical help with friendly representatives. Protect America reviews in general rate the company well.

Is Protect America a good security system?

We give high marks to Protect America’s home security system. Their already low costs are bolstered by their price match guarantee. We also love their easy DIY setup. If you’re looking for an affordable security system with home automation features, Protect America is a great choice.

2549 Protect America Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 9, 2019

You should be so lucky to be connected to a Customer Care Representative who's name is Brandt. I have just established a contract with Protect America. I'm very happy with my service. I live alone and have had some break ins. I didn't understand one procedure (something I was doing wrong) and Customer Care Brandt couldn't have been any kinder in explaining it to me. He took time to talk about products I was interested in and explained in detail how it worked and if it would be beneficial to my needs. He is a valuable employee who really likes his job. After our conversation, I was in a great mood and I felt I got the best education in this companies products and services. He really represented your company in the most excellent way. Thanks Protect America!

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2019

The woman we first spoke to had zero interest in helping us, suggesting we would have to wait 4 years before we could get a new system installed and it would cost $150.00 to have a customer service person come out. This, as we found out, was a total fabrication. The young man we spoke to was very understanding (he was a supervisor) his name is Joshua **. He took the time to work with us and understand what to do. The original sensor on the window frame no longer worked and I was unable to remove it. His suggestion was simple. Put the new sensor in a new place and we did. It works great and we are so grateful to him for the time and patience he showed to a customer who has been with you for 20 years.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I called the same 800# I have used for 10 yrs and was told they showed my address and account, but no longer carried my acct as active. I was given a different # to 'Central Station' by the first operator, Central Sta. confirmed she had my account and it was active. I was ANGRY you changed the 800# on me and I did not know. I tried your regular 800 951-5111 - message - option 4 then another message - option 6 - sat on hold forever listening to advertisements for Protect America upgrades and got more frustrated...

Went to your website, more angry than I can say, and opted to use Chat. Was helped by Neal. Very long conversation but he helped me calm down, helped me recover my PW to my phone App and also I updated my phone book with your current numbers. Neal is OK, never let my anger get to him and he was knowledgeable and took care of me. BUT UNDERSTAND THAT IF A REAL ALARM HAD BEEN GOING ON AND I CALLED THE OLD NUMBER THEY WOULD HAVE TURNED ME AWAY. That stinks!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Recently I had a sensor that went off twice without any reason. I read that the battery might need to be changed so I tried that and the system was still telling me the window was open, so I contacted customer support at Protect America. My support person Gloria was just outstanding. We did several tests on the old one and she said that it appeared I needed a new one. They would send me one for $5.00 since it was under warranty, but I had went ahead and took advantage of their winter sale and purchased a couple extra just in case. Anyway, she helped me clear my history status, and then I installed the new one which we tested. She walked me thru the entire process. After deleting the old sensor and registering the new one, we set it up and my system is now back up. I am so glad to have had the great support and want to thank Protect America and its great staff, and thank Gloria for her help and patience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have been with you guys for I don't know how long... I believe I just renewed for the 3rd time, as well as set up my business with y'all almost 2 years ago. I have loved you guys from the beginning, and have continued to use y'all as well as tell everyone about y'all and sign up some new customers. Every time I talk with customer service or chat, they are always super nice and helpful. Have never had one bad experience with any aspect of y'all's business. Even today, getting my service moved and needing to get a new sensor, I was able to get more service from the specialist than I expected. Y'all definitely go above and beyond with your customers, and that is something this day in age. Thank you and keep it up!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: July 15, 2019

I chatted with Aly about replacing batteries in my sensors. She was very responsive and quick! The entire process took less than 10 min and I was quickly able to resolve my issue. Very happy with the process and would recommend anyone with an account use the chat feature to quickly resolve issues.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Your customer service rep, Alejandra **, kept my business. When I initially spoke to the online chat I was not happy with what i was being given. He transferred me to Aly (above mentioned person) and she work magic and gave me a renewal package I could not refuse. So I ended up signing a 4 year contract. So thank you to Aly for making me happy. :)

Original review: July 14, 2019

I recently moved and needed help setting up all of my sensors in the new house. I called but couldn’t get through to anyone, so I text chatted with Aly. She helped me not once, but twice, getting all of my sensors set up and replacing bad units and again when the new units were received. Customer service just cannot be beat.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Amazing company and perfect security system for my needs. The system has everything I wanted and for a price I was comfortable with. I would highly recommend this company to anyone interested in a security system. Best option for a home security system.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Aly was a wonderful help to me when trying to decide some important information about my contract and cancelling. She did offer to look into lowering the bill, however I declined and offered to keep it the same. It was nice of the offer though and that is what makes it great to work with this company.

Original review: July 10, 2019

First I must apologize to my mother because she said if you don’t have nothing nice to say then don’t say anything at all. But I can’t sit silent knowing that someone else is in danger of becoming Protect America next victim. I have had nothing but a horrible experience with this company and it started the day I received the system. The DIY installation they claim is quick and easy was everything but. The tech was unhelpful and finally hours later the system was installed but guess what? My whole reason for getting the system doesn’t work. The doorbell camera hasn’t worked properly since I brought the thing. It’s offline 90% of the time.

I called and spoke to multiple reps, techs and supervisors but no help was given, just lies. And when I tried to cancel they promptly let me know that I have 30 plus months left on my contract and they will continue to bill me monthly until the end of the contract. This is very unfair seeing how I never received one month of actual properly working service, they did give me the option to pay out the life of my contract upfront. I guess it sucks to be me at this point. But for anyone looking into security systems do not I repeat do not look into Protect America. It’s a bad investment. You're better off getting a pit bull.

Original review: July 10, 2019

The customer service was excellent! Helped me with my sensors that weren't working! Also easily help me get replacements for my smoke alarms that needed to be replaced. Very polite! Been with this alarm company for over 5 years and they have always had great customer service.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I used online chat to change payment information. It was taken care of in about 5 minutes total. Very easy. We are very satisfied with Protect America. We have been with them for about 7 years. They are so fast to respond to any alarm. Usually, a false alarm on our end, thankfully.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I set up security for my business as they were the cheapest. I have a one door set to delay the alarm, so I can enter and deactivate it. They also allowed me to have one door armed at all times, as it would be easy for a theif to walk in during open hours seal stuff and walk out this door. This is now not an issue as that door is armed! Very helpful and would certainly recommend to a friend.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Ms Alejandra ** excellently represents company with the utmost professionalism, courtesy and very knowledgeable. She is extremely patient and empathetic. Exemplifies a wonderful well prepared representative. She goes above and beyond, She listens to customer very effectively and a positive attitude. Job very well done.

Original review: June 28, 2019

My app was “offline” and Chat gave me detailed instructions on how to get it working again!!!! Unfortunately, I have forgotten the name of the person who helped me go thru the step by step process to reset the power to the panel. Wonderful❗️??❗️

Original review: June 27, 2019

I tried to get an account number for insurance policy and I thought I ordered a smoke alarm. There was no record of me ordering the alarm, so I tried to get one. For me this is a time consuming, as I do not know computers. The young man I talked to was understand about what I needed. A young lady, Cassandra? Tried to help on the phone line, but I stayed with the male as I have been on the phone for a long time

Original review: June 27, 2019

My sub panel was beeping. Mauricio walked my through step-by-step to resolve the problem. I appreciated his trouble-shooting methods and him being able to contact his supervisor who gave very timely responses. Mauricio was very professional and I would request him to assist me every time that I had a problem.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Brittany was kind enough to show me all the steps. I was able to change my verbal authorization; change my access code and master code with the help of Brittany. I've been trying to change all these information for the last week and finally with the help of Brittany I was able to do it today. Thank you very much Brittany.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I used the chat feature and am so pleased! Mauircio was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable and was able to resolve my issue immediately. We have had the system for 2 years and thankfully have not had to use it for an intrusion. But the comfort of having Protect America there is worth the investment. Please thank Mauircio for his time and attention to my needs!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

I have been trying to call Protect America for 2 hours now. I have been put on hold and the only line I can get anyone to pick up on is the sales line. I have a question about alerts I am getting. It seems like no one wants to talk to you unless you are wanting to buy a system. Getting through to the sales line is no problem. Getting to someone else for another reason is ridiculously impossible. I even left my phone number for them to call me back and never heard back. It is ridiculous to have such bad customer service for already existing customers. I always have this issue when trying to call. I imagine the bulk of the employees are in sales. But more need to be hired to help those of us who already have a system so we don't have to sit on hold for hours. So in a nutshell, I guess I am saying that the customer service for existing customers is horrible.

Protect America response

Hello Christy - There are times we do have peak hours and experience a high call volume where the wait may be longer, but we’re working daily to improve our service delivery. We also offer our customers the option to use our online chat or text us at the same toll-free number called. At this time we ask that you contact us and allow us the opportunity to troubleshoot your equipment. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to speaking with you.

- Customer Support

Original review: June 15, 2019

The chat help (Mauricio) was extremely polite and helpful when I was asking about adding a video doorbell to our existing security system. He gave me all the information I needed and answered all of my questions. I even asked about saving our conversation so I could get back to them on exactly what was discussed and I was promptly sent an email of the transcript with no pushy sales pitch after that.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Brittany was excellent. You need to hire more like her. She was very informative and a great help!!! I have been very satisfied with Protect America. The live chat has been a lifesaver since I do not have time to hold on the phone or to wait for a callback.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I requested a statement for my home insurance policy update through online chat service. The representative provided me the certificate just in a second. Very quick response, and great job! Thank you very much for the quality service.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Needed alarm certificate - I waited and waited online. I couldn't get anyone. I went online & got a live chat immediately. The person on the chat, Gloria (I believe) was extremely helpful and got what I needed immediately and was friendly and made sure I didn't need anything else. Great customer service experience. Highly recommended!!

Original review: June 9, 2019

Mauricio was excellent and quickly resolved my inquiry. I do not have the order number. The call was in regards to a false alarm and miscommunication with the rep who called when the alarm went off. We resolved the question using Instant message.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Have a seven-year-old Protect America system and wanted to upgrade after seeing countless offerings by various manufacturers with new technologies. My service rep was able to present and explain new technologies offered by PA while getting them to me with no new charges other than a new 3-year commitment at my current rate (which was fair).

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

I have had the worst experience with Protect America. They said I could sign up for a 3 year contract but have found out that it was 5 instead of 3. Always read the fine print as these guys will scan you. The camera I got broke right away, and have had issues with other pieces that trigger false alarms. Motion detector says it won't detect pets but still went off over my cat. Called them and had no help. Don't bother trying their phone. You'll be on hold at least 30 minutes. They've called the police 3 times so now I have put the thing away in storage and am stuck paying $50 a month until 2022. At least no more police tickets for false alarms. Don't use this company. They're awful!!

Protect America response

Dear Kira:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers.Our records show that you initially signed up with us on 3/6/17 for a 36 month agreement. You called in again on 9/12/17 requesting a lower monthly monitoring rate. We explained that we were unable to lower your monthly monitoring rate while you are in term, but as a courtesy to you, we offered you a $200 gift card, swap your motion detector for a glass break detector and 2 months monitoring for free if you agreed to extend you contract to 60 months. You agreed to the offer and signed the renewal agreement.
Additionally,there are times we do have peak hours and experience a high call volume where the wait may be longer, but we’re working daily to improve our service delivery. We also offer our customers the option to use our online chat or text us at the same toll free number called.

At this time we ask that you contact us at 800-951-511 and allow us the opportunity to test your equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Protection

Original review: June 6, 2019

I needed to change the method of payment on my account and make a payment because I had a new visa debit card. Brittany helped me change my debit card on file and make my payment in less than a minute!

Original review: June 5, 2019

Kind, professional and patient. Great rep helped fast and convenient. Highly recommend. Always satisfied with service equipment. Never a problem and help always there many options to pay. Enjoy the service fair price and good deal. Recommend rep and company. Thank you very very much.

Protect America Company Information