3.20/5
Based on 91 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

Protect America Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 24, 2018

2348 Protect America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

Tiffanie ** is just THE best customer service rep I have spoken with in a LONG time, ANYWHERE! My call was regarding info gathering to see what my next move was going to be. But Tiffanie was so AWESOME that she made it SO easy for me to remain a customer for another 4 years. She gave me options I'm sure she didn't even have to mention but she did. Tiffanie and Protect America made me feel like a very important person and that hit me like a ton of bricks (in a good way!) I'm still speechless. If Tiffanie sees this, thank you Tiffanie. Thank you very much! And Protect America, thank you for thanking loyal customers and for being based out of good ol' Texas! Tiffanie deserves a raise!! Thanks again!!

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm & Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

What I found with this company, if you are signing up they will stay with you on the phone and get you to sign up, if you have an issue you are put on hold many times. Last year late in fall I went to cancel my agreement after 3 years or more and I kept getting the run around reducing my payment by a couple of dollars till they put me to a manager which I shouldn't but did reduce from $54.95 to 9.99 to keep us for several more months. When it went back up I called to cancel on 3/9/18, they said I needed a written cancellation which I did by electronic, paid everything up and then I started getting e-mails and then a letter in mail that I owed another month for April.

This should be a crime to have to pay an extra billing month just because you canceled I would understand to pay off month you started. I told Manager Jessie on 5/15/18 that I would not recommend this company to anyone I know and that I will file a complaint about this issue. Looking at some of the other complaints in your reviews there are others that think the same way. I have canceled out with cable company's several times and they cancel at end of that month not another 30 days. As I said this is a crime to me. I would push not to make last payment but it would cost me more than what it is worth so they will get the last from me and also at end of phone conversation they continued with we can give me better rates when I decide to resign up. Hopeful others will read some of these before they sign up.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2018

I called and canceled Protect America in March 2018. They continued to take $31.99 out of my checking account in April and May. I was told I did not answer their email. The only email I received was another contract to sign up with their company again. They are thieves and stole my money. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Dear Toni,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us and at this time your account is set to cancel on 6/30/18 with a zero balance. Feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2018

We have had Protect America for almost 3 years. The system has never worked properly. We spent many hours during the first 6 months of service trying to get it fixed, without success. We tried to cancel the service based on poor performance, but Protect America said we'd be charged for the full term of the 3 year contract. Now that the service term is almost up, they are making it hard to discontinue service. Their chat line could not provide information on the process for cancellation, nor could their customer service line. I was finally transferred to a rep who made me pry the answer out of her. She said I needed to provide 30 days written notice, but I would need to pay for service for another 3 weeks beyond the 3 year period (through the end of June). This company is not reputable.

Dear Doris:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that the final month was waived and your account is set to cancel on 6/30/2018 with a 0 balance.

Please feel free to contact Customer Protection at phone number: 1(800) 951-5111.

Customer Protection

Original review: May 3, 2018

When contract was expiring I called representative to say I was not renewing and asked if I needed to call again at actual deadline approximately in 2 weeks and was told, "No. Not necessary." They would take care of it. However it was Not taken care of & I was charged again. Credit card company began to bounce payments and calls from Protect America saying I owed because was not cancelled properly however NO ONE in phone conversation bothered to tell me this on initial phone call. They want $135 dollars & threaten to go against my credit which is excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with Protect America and their staff. They helped give me a great rate and all the equipment I needed without being pushy or fear-mongering. I had no opinion about security companies before I talked to Protect America, but now I’ll definitely be using them in the future!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I just got off the phone with Lisa ** after researching your company and she was an amazing sales representative. I explained to her how I was witness to a break in across the street this morning and she made me feel more secure with just her confidence with your product. She was very insightful, kind, caring and helpful throughout the whole process. She got me set up today with some great deals which seem very reasonably priced. There needs to be more people like her in customer service and sales! I will be recommending your company to people.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Josh is a great salesman, I never once felt I was being oversold or felt pressured in any way. He had nothing but good advice and gave me the exact package I had already researched and did his best to give me the best deal possible. He also spoke highly of you and your company. Because of this experience I will highly recommend your company’s services to my friends and colleagues. Great job Josh???

Original review: April 14, 2018

The system itself is decent but service after the sale is a little iffy, I changed my router therefore it has required me to re-connect the cameras. I called into Protect America, (If I was a new install I think I would get immediate help because you have a grace period to return product but getting support after the grace period), well good luck with that. I was on hold for about 15 minutes. Finally got a tech that I believe was new or at least not highly experienced, she kept referring to the advanced technician. Anyway we got it rolling and in the middle of this support call I lost her, I waited for a callback and nothing. So after about 5 minutes I called back and I have been on hold now for 28 minutes and running.

I was supposed to be on the road hours ago with a 3 hour drive and can't leave until this is done. Once my contract is up I will be going with a company that services the system, meaning if you have problems they come out and fix it. At the moment I'm calling from a different line while on hold on my primary phone. Once again they passed me on to a different department where I'm on hold again with that line. The clock is still running on hold. No call back from the tech. INSANE! 52 minutes, still on hold.

Dear Ed,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us. Rest assured we are working diligently to set the proper expectations regarding the hold time. You also have the option to use our chat services at myprotecmaerica.com.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 12, 2018

I am completely satisfied with the customer service received today in addition to the contractual agreement through Protect America. I look forward to building a positive business relationship with such a reputable company. My customer service Inside Sales Rep, Devin **, was professional, courteous, patient and knowledgeable about the security offerings. He actually sold me on the security package because of how he handled the initial inquiry, follow through, and final process.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Save your money and time!! We used Protect America for 3 years and needed to change companies because of the cost. We called after the contract period to cancel and kept all alarm pieces. Then the next month we were called stating we didn't pay it. We explained the situation and were told we'd receive a letter in the mail for us to send a written cancellation letter. We never got it and a couple months later we were still charged and never received the letter. Now my husband and I are called FIVE OR MORE times a day at the point of harassment!! Worst company ever!! Save your money!!

Dear Victoria,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We apologize for your most recent experience.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111 should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I'm thanking you guys for taking care of me and my family because this area that I live in is so drug infested until it's pitiful. You guys have been keeping me safe for almost 20 years and since I renewed my contract again, please keeping on protecting me. I sold you guys about how protective your company is and so they're on board now, so again Thank You. I love you so much and take care of the good techs that helped me and they're Mattew ** and Tiffany **.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Protect America ("PA") looks and sounds good up front, but in the end they are con artists. I had an account with them which worked adequately. Over time however, it became apparent that there were cheaper options for the same or better quality service. Once my contract period was up, I switched to "Simply Safe," disconnecting all of my PA equipment. I waited for a few months to cancel PA to ensure that there were no issues, despite the fact that I no longer used their service.

Once I called PA to cancel, they informed me - quite rudely, that I had to go through a specific email process to cancel, AND that I would have to pay for another month of service regardless (despite my choice to already pay for a few months of redundant service that I wasn't even using). They claim that this is for "your own protection." "Your own protection" works differently for all other interactions though, as all you need to do normally is provide your account password on the phone. Once they are about to lose business, "your protection" really means a shake down for more money, and a more inconvenient procedure for the customer. As my account was on a credit card, they charged me anyway. I cancelled the service on the card, and again informed PA that I was cancelling. They again refused to process and then started sending me bills and threatening with collection services. They WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER DIME FROM ME!

Do yourself a favor: AVOID PROTECT AMERICA. They are a slimy quagmire of a company, overcharging you for "monthly service" (which requires someone to pick up a phone if an incident occurs, for $40+/mo). They will hide behind LIES of "for your protection" to try to squeeze every last dime from you, when there are other immediate and simpler forms of verification. There are plenty of other people who have had this experience, I can't believe that they are allowed to operate as plain sight thieves. Once they have you, they treat you beyond rudely on the phone, and simply read from their script. Getting a representative on the phone who can actually think seems impossible. Frustrating beyond belief!

Dear Mr. Joseph,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us but we are unable to locate an account using the information you've provided.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 4, 2018

This company is pure evil! Our home was made uninhabitable in late December because our propane tank pilot went out in a very cold period, pipes froze, the house flooded, and we had no water or heat. As our contract period had expired, and we had to find another place to live while restoration was being done, we attempted to cancel service with Protect America.

Real long story short- they continue to this day to bill us for service we do not need, want, and continue to unmercifully harass us with at least a dozen phone calls per day from their collectors calling from multiple states, flooding my email with emails. They’ve taken to badgering my wife now with the same frequency. We finally gave in and agreed to a compromise payment to end the horror story. They sent us a link to cancel, but only after paying another $49 fee because one must cancel 30 days ahead. Although we first attempted to cancel in January. I will not pay them another $49, so this hell will continue until I get some assistance from the Ohio Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, or our local news show that deals with these types of scoundrels, “On Your Side”. These ** should not be allowed to operate. This is a criminal organization.

Dear Mr. Hilt,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us but our records show that your account is set for cancellation at no additional cost to you.

Customer Protection

Original review: March 26, 2018

Deborah ** is an outstanding sales rep. She was able to assist with everything I needed to secure my Apartment. I was looking for a great security alarm with a camera and she found me the perfect setup. Thanks to her my place will be secured now.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 22, 2018

They are the worst experience I have had as a consumer hands down. They offer a poor product and are not flexible at all in terms of consumer complaints. They were happy to take my money but when I was unhappy with the product itself and the service, there was 'nothing they can do'. When I finally was able to cancel my contract, they claim I didn't follow all the steps necessary to cancel and thus kept charging me for months when I was not receiving the service. They are the absolute worst. Stay far, far away from these scam artists. Plenty of other better options out there.

Updated on 05/09/2018: They now call several times per week trying to collect a balance I do not owe because I canceled my service (for the 2nd time). Harassment at its best with this Company.

Dear Andrew:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us as we show that you recently spoke with our cancellation team to address your concerns. Your account is set to cancel on 4/30/18 with no further obligations to Protect America.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111, should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Shawn ** was my salesmen and he was a complete gentleman. He went out of his way to show good customer support. I feel that there is a genuine interest to be customer service oriented which is really good. Makes you feel like you matter.

Original review: March 18, 2018

That was the best sales experience I have had in a long time--maybe ever! Jonathan ** handled our questions in an honest and detailed way. He was a real pleasure to work with. We appreciated him being patient with our questions, personable in sharing little bits of his own life, and hardworking when it came to finding the package and plan that would be the best fit for us. Thanks to Jonathan and Protect America!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I asked for a Renters' Quote; two doors, six windows. I received an email saying I had to call them to get any information. My brother died and I didn't have the time or inclination to call them back. Since the Quote request on February 24, 2018, they have called me at least 3-4 times per day, seven days/week using two different numbers. Most recently 800-951-5111. There is never a voicemail, just the constant calling. I shall never deal with a company who harasses potential clients.

Dear Mr. Mack:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us and have added your information to our do not call list

Original review: March 14, 2018

I initially got this alarm system in 2014. Never used it. Alarm system is brand new. Still in its original package. Eventually I didn't have the need for it and I don't own property. It was a waste of money as well as I had to make changes in my budget etc. I realized I've been paying 44.00 a month for services I didn't and couldn't use. I am on a fix income and live with relatives. I spoke to their customer service in July 2017 and made it clear to discontinue the automatic payments. I specifically explained I had no use and what I've paid till that date has paid the equipment over 3 times over.

The agent understood and said I wouldn't be taken out the following month. Well August came and they did take it out. So I called the bank to shut it down since it was unauthorized this conversation was documented. Now I am being bill for over 220.00 for services not render and not authorized. They have become a complete nightmare. Upon my research this is unethical and they have many complaints similar to mine. Now I received an email that reads they will forward this rip off account to a collection agency. I will not pay not one cent. They calling a number that is a workplace phone number not my personal number.

Dear Linda:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like the opportunity to speak with you about this and ensure we have addressed your concerns regarding the cancellation process. At this time we have used this correspondence as the cancellation notice and your account will cancel on April 30, 2018. The past due balance will remain open and we request Ms. De Silva make that final payment.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Tre was extremely helpful. He answered all of my questions and didn't talk over me. People like him are the reason I do business with your company. I will continue to use you as my alarm company as long as the customer service remains this professional.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I want to thank Bergen for the excellent customer service. He was helpful, detailed, clear in his explanations, concise in his descriptions, and fun to work with. I think I will like the system that Protect America provides. I have worked with ADT and other security companies. Your company seems like a company that has personal relationships with their customers. Thank you.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Very unfriendly, unprofessional and pushy. Ended up with the system and was told that I had 30 days to decide if it is what I wanted. Received my system after 4 days, did not hook it up right away. Then I was told that it was too late and I could not return it when it had only been 2 weeks since I received the system, but 19 days since ordering. Apparently they go by the order date, not the date you receive. I was told I could not get out of my contract. Months later and I hate it more today than I did in the beginning. No help with installation and no help with understanding the system so you have it correct. If I am going to feel safe in my home I would hope that it was because the system was put in by professionals. It is like the blind leading the blind and promise after promise on how great it is and how I will love it. I rank them -8.

Dear Vicki,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us. Our records show that your contract states that a return package must be postmarked 15 days of the original shipment date to cancel service. Additionally, we’ve had the opportunity to speak with you and discuss early termination options. As a courtesy to you, we have reduced your monthly rate for 3 months.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111, should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Best Regards

Original review: March 7, 2018

I am not a Protect America customer yet but I must say Errol ** the salesperson did a great job trying to sell me a system. He was very attentive to my needs and patient to answer all my questions and tried to work up a great deal for me. I just wasn't ready to make a decision. I wanted to do some more homework on different suppliers. Protect America is one of the companies in the running to get my business. Again, great salesmanship.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I was very please with the sales representative, Kseniya **. She was very friendly and knowledgeable. She thoroughly explained why your service beats out your competitors and patiently walked me through the process of signing up. I am moving to your service after 25 years with ADT.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I am trying to cancel my service after close to 4 years - well over the contract period. The alarm never worked properly and support is sketchy at best. ADP provided such better service and accessibility. I called to cancel today as I noticed they were charging a credit card monthly that I never gave them authorization to do.

I am going to contact my bank to see how they approved it - I did not give Protect America permission whatsoever and it has to be investigated thoroughly. They just went ahead and charged my account with a credit card I had used to pay monthly. Fraud at minimum. Then the customer service reps say no one is around who can cancel my account today - no Saturday hours. Typical "hard to cancel" tactic that wreak of fraud. I just filed a BBB report to add to the 500+ people who already have against this company. What a joke. Luckily my former career as a practicing attorney give me leverage against such a creepy outfit. If your service is so great why so hard to cancel? You should just have a better experience/product. Disgusted Customer.

Dear Lynn,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that we've had the opportunity to resolve your concerns with canceling your service. Additionally, all of Protect America customers provide payment information for the auto-draft agreed to per the agreement. Your cancel date is set for 4/30/18.

If you have any future concerns please feel free to contact Customer Service at phone number: 1(800) 951-5111.

Customer Protection

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I have been with Protect America for a little over three years and is been a nightmare. First of all the sensors you put them on and they don’t stick all the time so they might fall off and so the alarm goes off. They call you. You don’t know whether it is a false alarm or if the sensor fell off. I had someone break in my house recently and the sensor was just off the door the day before. But no alarm went off. I had called my credit company to put a dispute in because the sensor wasn’t working on the front door which is the very door somebody broke in the very next day and took my computer. Protect America say it wasn’t their fault. They called the police but I didn’t come back home because I thought that it was the sensor. I accidentally gave them the wrong alarm code so that was the only reason why they really send the police out.

My biggest problem with them this is been happening for years with the sensors and the fact that my motion detector someone walk me through it and didn’t tell me that it was upside down and tell after someone broke in the Houston they make sure somebody show me how it was supposed to be. The customer service is really bad. It takes forever to get them. You gotta go on your website. You can’t just call them and talk to someone because if I had they would’ve talk to me the night before someone broke in my house but I couldn’t get them. I can only get the sales department.

I would not recommend Protect America anyone. Yes like someone else said they are very hard to get in touch with. You sit on the phone for hours and hours sometimes and didn’t they call you back in. They may not be the right time and all dad know this is a very bad company. If they would put up customer service like they do their salespeople I would think they would be a good company. But you can’t get in touch with the real person about your problems. Until your work hours. Customer service is very unprofessional.

Ada,

We would like to apologize for your recent experience with Protect America. It seems that we have attempted to resolve your concerns regarding your account.

We ask that you please contact our Retention department at phone number:1(800) 951-5103, to allow us the opportunity to resolve your concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

This is the worst company I've ever done business with. But don't take my word for it... just call them. Potential customers: I challenge you to get ANYONE from Protect America to give you an email address that will allow you to address your issues with the products and/or customer service. Why does the company refuse to give you an email address to their Customer "NO SERVICE" department? Because they do not want you to be able to address your issues with them in writing! Are you kidding me? These guys are professional liars. I noted the names of the people I spoke with and I got 3 different answers from 3 "representatives" in their "customer service" department. Good luck trying to get ANYONE (including a supervisor) to call you back.

They refuse to call you back (even after telling you that they will) because they want your 15 day "trial period" to expire so you cannot cancel your contract. We were told that the video cameras would not interfere with our wireless internet/tv services. We discovered that their cameras do affect your internet services. They expected us to honor a 3 year contract after telling them that we were having serious issues with the internet AND downloading movies on our TV. These lying, con artists thieves will not even give you the opportunity to put your concerns in writing. WARNING: they refuse to call you back or give you ANY kind of resolutions because they want your "trial period" to end before the 15 days. Good luck trying to get anything resolved. This company is a nightmare.

Dear Kurt,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to overnight you the Arlo outdoor camera, provide you a 2-month rate vacation at 9.99 and 1 month free.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111 should you have any additional questions or concerns in this matter.

Customer Protection

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Tarik ** is one of the best Customer Reps I have ever dealt with. He assisted me in programming two keyless remotes and assuring that my current one worked. He also helped me access my online account. He was professional, understanding and very patient with this 73 year old. He was also persistent and continued to try to figure out what was going on when I was ready to give up. Thank you for the opportunity to interact with him.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Kseniya was the best. She knows her job well and it shows. She was very helpful and informative of any questions I had. She definitely put your company at the top of the list of my considerations. She makes you feel important. I enjoyed talking with her, it was like talking to an old friend.

Protect America expert review by Erin Raub

Founded in 1992, Protect America is one of the largest security companies in the United States, offering home alarm systems in all 50 states. The company is dedicated to providing low-cost security systems that are highly customizable and easily portable.

• Free system: Protect America gets you started with a free, basic equipment package when you sign up for a monitoring plan. Consumers can upgrade equipment for an additional fee.

• Low monthly fee: Protect America offers one of the cheapest security plans available with options starting around $20 a month for basic equipment and monitoring via landline.

• Two-way voice system: Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem – and enables you to instantly call out for help, if required.

• Equipment guarantee: Protect America’s equipment is guaranteed for three years. The company doesn’t charge an insurance fee for this protection.

• Installation: Protect America offers phone support for your DIY installation.

• Best for: Homeowners, renters, DIYers and tech-savvy shoppers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protect America Company Information