3.47/5
  • 1 star
Based on 99 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

Protect America Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

2310 Protect America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Jenny ** helped me get into my account and was very nice. She also sent me a video to put in a battery! Kenneth ** helped with the alarm system and was very patient. He made sure that my problem would be resolved. Thank them both so much from me.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

From the point of calling in on Christmas Eve talking to Tyler and getting the system installed with Jacob and Tim I have had the best service and support ever from any company out there. The online chat and phone tech support are also great. Each person I spoke with and chatted with knew their processes and gave correct and accurate information. Just yesterday I purchased additional cameras and smoke detectors from Cat who also gave me exceptional service. Thanks PA for giving the great service and safety for my family and home.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

The process from start to finish was handled in a professional manner. Very happy with the range of security devices we signed up for at a reasonable price. Also a positive that we could make modifications to the package without adding a lot of cost.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We have nonstop issues. The box is horrendous, the sensors don't stay up, the alarms go off for no reason. I am SO DONE. We find it not user friendly, the fobs are full of glitches, they say our 8 and 11 lb animals won't set off the sensors, but they do. I just want to get rid of this contract.

Dear Gina,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We ask that you contact our Customer Service team to allow us the opportunity to address your concerns.

Contact us at (800) 951-5111 option 4.

Regards,

Customer Protection

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Fantastic customer service by Brent and his manager. Very knowledgeable and professional in explaining what this company has to offer as well as being aware of each customer's specific needs in product and cost. Can't wait to start using their product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Try to call them many time, cannot get anybody to pick up. I keep hearing not available. I call on Monday thru Sunday answer is the same. My personal I think to be in business you must have good customer service, where in this case that did not happen. Also I have request for them to cancel my contract. Within the time they did not plus they would not pick-up the phone. Also I was told the billing will not start until January because I'm still under contract with another company but they charge me for December. And no one will pick up the phone.

Dear Berthony,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us but we show that you recently spoke with a manager and he resolved your concerns.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team should you have any additional questions or concerns in this matter.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Service and the equipment was average at best, my biggest complaint is with their customer service. When I sold my home we tried to cancel the service, was told by the answering girl “no problem”. We called the next 2 months after seeing the charge on bank statement. After the 3rd month they would just put me on hold and never come back. After that treatment I was forced to put stop payment, because who in their right mind would pay for monitor service in a house you don’t own anymore. Now 4 yrs later they are still trying to collect a service I canceled 3 times and turned it to collection... STAY AWAY, it’s all peaches until you want to cancel and they obviously are getting away with not letting you stop this service...

Dear Steve,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your experience with cancellation but we show that your account canceled July 2016.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Customer Protection

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Our home was broken into in the fall of 2017 and HAD Protect America as our home alarm system. Well our motion sensor did not go off and the burglars made out with a lot of our personal items and belongings. We’ve been a Protect America customer since 2004. In contacting Protect America regarding the break in they took NO accountability of this whatsoever. WE were the ones who always had to reach out to them after we filed a report with them. Well after numerous weeks of constant runaround and never providing us what the policy was in circumstances they truly never provided any responsibility to our burglary. If you truly want to not feel like a valued customer then by all means make sure to sign up with Lack of Protection America. They rank HIGH in lack of communication and do NOT stand by their services. I’ve got the break in pictures to prove this. Where is our equipment going now... In the trash!

Dear Albert,

We appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us. Our records show that we attempted to reach a resolution with you but was unsuccessful.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Protection department at (800) 951-5111 should you have any additional questions or concerns in this matter.

Best Regards,

Customer Protection

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Supervisor Jade ** was great. I am not sure why I have to contact a supervisor to get service. He was professional and listened to me and hopefully I will have a new start. I reset my system and two reps I used did not check or set up my system correctly. A window went off 6 times the other night and this is unacceptable. This was after several other false alarms. Opening up a window and resetting a system should not do this. Training of reps needs to include professionalism, not putting customers on mute or being antagonistic but caring. It is very discouraging dealing with customer service agents that don't care and then a very antagonistic collections rep. Jade got me a credit and a rep called to set up a new panel and appt. It seems a lot easier to fix problems rather than cause them with disrespect and it should not be only at mgmt. level. I hope PA will look into and fix these training issues. We will see if things start working. Thanks Jade.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

The sales team here is only interested in making the sale. Reminds me of a boiler room operation, even the sales director Steven ** failed to follow through on his promises. Not sure how these people put their heads on their pillows at night. Be forewarned. Go with a reputable company like ADT, these guys are just crooks!

Joseph,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We hope we were able to resolve your concerns and wish you the best in your future home security search.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

If I could give this company negative stars I Would! They are a harassing, non-stop scamming company. It’s so easy to get in but oh so impossible to get out and they just keep charging you no matter what. The equipment isn’t very good, I had the cellular service (the msame st expensive package) and it didn’t work more than it did. After complaints and excuses I still got nowhere. I called the company when I moved to cancel, all this after being with them for 4 years and they continued to charge, and still are, after numerous calls and emails. Absolutely horrible customer service and antiquated equipment! Vivint is a much better security company!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Joseph did a great job welcoming us to Protect America! He was clear, concise, friendly and generous while he walked us through the process. It was a great start to creating a safe and secure home environment. I would definitely recommend Protect America to friends and family.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Mike ** was great to work with. He was very knowledgeable, answered all my questions, very helpful and polite. Couldn't ask for a better experience. I would definitely refer my friends and family to Protect America. My family and I feel safe and secure with the alarm system.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

They over-promised and under-delivered... Now I'm stuck with a $1200 cancel fee and the company doesn't do what I need them to Do! Complete rip off! Check them out on BBB and if you notice, you can't leave a Google review anymore cause their reviews tanked even lower this year! Company is pathetic!

James.

We would like to apologize for your recent experience with Protect America. It seems that we have attempted to resolve your concerns regarding your account. We ask that you please contact our Retention department at phone number:1(800) 951-5103, to allow us the opportunity to resolve your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have had so many issues with my service, including Protect America providing the wrong address to the fire department on an alarm. The last issue was a false panic alarm for no reason. I contacted customer service and was supposed to get a callback after 3 weeks at this point. When I called the dispatch line I had to wait 5 mins and 9 mins, and this is supposed to be a lifeline. They have dropped the ball so many times, I want out of my contract for their failure to provide the service I was promised to receive. No one will call me back about this terrible service. Then I was charged this month, and have not had service one day this month! Ridiculous!

Yvonne,

We would like to apologize for your recent experience with Protect America. It seems that we have attempted to resolve your concerns regarding your account. We ask that you please contact Customer Service at phone number:1(800) 951-5111, to allow us the opportunity to resolve your concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Great product and service. Highly recommend this service. I have been a customer for about 7 years and have received good service in those years. The company has been effective in keeping my business, due to their value and good service.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My daughter recently moved to Baton Rouge and rents a house that was brand new. She is the first person to live there. She did not realize that she already had a security system. The landlord forgot to tell her. It costs $22 per month. After she was burglarized, I signed a 3 year contract at $54.99 a month with Protect America. I realize that the contract states that after activating, you have only 30 days to cancel. I told them that this is an extenuating circumstance. They refused to cancel. My daughter had to pay someone to set the equipment up. They mail you the equipment! She activated it on August 2, but she is not having it monitored and does not intend to use it.

I will probably pay the $22 a month to Capitol Security in Baton Rouge because they have been in business for years and have a sterling reputation. I am a senior citizen. It is not fair that Protect America refuses to understand the situation because the only thing that matters to them is getting $54.99 from me for three years. It is not fair that I will be paying for two systems. Protect America should not be allowed to get by with this scam.

Sandra,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. It seems we've had the opportunity to offer you a resolution and a 3-month hibernation. If you have any future concerns please feel free to contact Customer Service at phone number: 1(800) 951-5111.

Best Regards,

Customer Protection

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Lisa was so helpful and knowledgeable. I really appreciate her patience! I knew nothing about security systems and she was very thorough. I can honestly say that I am excited to get the system installed. The price of the system seems more than reasonable.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

We sold our house May of 2017 and moved to another city. Our house had a Protect America alarm system in it for several years and was not under any kind of service contract when I cancelled it that month. However, they have continued to bill my VISA card for $24.99 for the last 5 months. Although they acknowledge I cancelled the service in May, they claim I did not return an email confirmation that they sent. Turns out they had the wrong email address on file; therefore I never received it in order to return it. That was corrected today “supposedly” and a confirmation was received and returned while the rep was still on the phone. He said it was now officially closed but there was nothing he could do about the previous charges and that I would also be billed for next month. What a rip off. Beware of signing up with this company, you can't get rid of them. And their customer service is terrible.

Dear Delbert,

We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us. Your account will cancel Nov. 30, 2017.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any additional question or concerns.

Customer Protection Team

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Jenny was fantastic in helping install my new camera! So Quick and helpful and thorough. Her boss should treat her to a nice lunch! She represents your company so well... Really made my day! She was so clear with guiding me on the installation of my new camera, and she has a very upbeat positive attitude and that is so refreshing. Thank You!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I was talked into a home alarm system that is about 2x more expensive than the average monthly alarm systems. I've never had an alarm before, so didn't know much about it. I was also put into a three year contract that cannot be cancelled. I've moved multiple times and have not been able to transfer it to someone else due to lack of interest. Discussing this with customer service was entirely useless - not only was I on hold for 20+ minutes each call, but they were unable to help me with my particular situation and told me that I owed them the remaining balance of the contract (Over $800 total). Needless to say, I've been continuing to pay monthly for an alarm system that I'm not using.

Additionally, when I moved I was going to try to use the alarm system and needed more sensors for the windows (as there were additional ground floor windows, and the previous sensors stopped being sticky and would not stay in place). I was told each additional sensor would be $26 even though some of the sensors were defective. Protect America takes advantage of people who don't know better about alarm systems. Their customer service is not helpful and their unwillingness to take care of their customers makes me advise others considering an alarm system to choose someone else.

Dear Ashley,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like the opportunity to speak with you about this and ensure we have addressed your concerns and home security. Please feel free to contact Customer Service at phone number: 1(800) 951-5111.

Customer Protection

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Mr. Cesar **, of the Customer Experience Team and "AJ", a technician, made my experience pleasant & rewarding. In fact, Cesar offered me a deal I couldn't refuse, so I signed on for another three years! I had all plans to switch to another major security service, however, Mr. ** saved the day! OUTSTANDING customer service is difficult to find, however, it is surely refreshing. Mr. Cesar ** is a credit to the company. Thanks Cesar!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

This company is all shiny and looks great at first, until you sign that contract and set up the system! The self install was easy, but that was about it. The customer service is horrible, you will wait on hold forever, then when someone answers they will put you on hold again and then you get disconnected. The app is constantly offline so you can't monitor your system or arm/disarm from your phone. Our alarm has gone off (false alarms) at least 3 times now and NOBODY called us from the monitoring center and the police didn't show up either. When I called to inquire they say "Oh, your system is offline". "You need to do a monthly test", like it's my fault the system loses connection constantly, keep in mind to do a monthly test you must call them and that is a 30 minute chore if you are lucky! They now say you can do it online, but when you try that it will then prompt you to call the monitoring center.

Beware there is also a 15 second window between the time the alarm goes off and the time the monitoring center is notified! They don't like to tell you that in the sales pitch! Keep that in mind the next time someone has broken into your home and is holding a knife to your throat telling you to disarm the system! If it is disarmed within 15 seconds NOBODY will call and NO police will show up... The panel that mounts on the wall is about the size of a large book, and the lights are very bright, will light up the room at night, and nope, no way to dim or turn it off. It's ugly and looks like something from 1985. I would really like to cancel my contract and go with another company but I don't have $1500 to give these crooks.

Buyer beware! Most of the reviews you see online (not here) are wonderful! In fact that is why I choose Protect America, but after having the system for a while I started to wonder, am I the only one having issues, nope I am not! This company does not make me feel any safer than I did before, it is unreliable and the customer service is horrible, you feel like you are just left high and dry, "you signed the contract, so we don't care" is the attitude I get from customer service. Awful experience, and I can't imagine how it will be at the three year mark trying to get out of the contract that is "expiring".

Oh and one more thing, if anything goes wrong with the master panel, be prepared to become a electrical technician! You will be doing the work yourself while they try to tell you how to do this and that over the phone! I am talking about taking screws out and removing wires and plugs etc, I couldn't believe I was taking this thing apart rather than them sending me a new one! I could go on and on about this but I think I have said enough, as I see the generic response from the company tells a lot, so I don't want to waste any more time.

Dear Madison,

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Crystal in customer service helped me activate my new fob. She noticed that my system was no longer compatible to your panel so she transferred my call to Vanessa security specialist. Both ladies were pleasant, knowledgeable and very helpful. Thank you to the company and both ladies for giving me the assistance and equipment to continue keeping my home secure.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was away from home recently for an extended time. The battery died in one of my smoke detectors so I called and had one of your folks remove it from my system until I could get home and change it. I was trying to add it back, but needed help. I called and got Jesse, and he was really great to work with and we got the sensor added back in no time.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Mikel ** was very professional, personable, patient, knowledgeable, understanding and answered all my questions. He provided an option, and ensured I was satisfied and understood what I would be getting. Great customer service today! I will only be getting what I need and requested. I cannot wait to have my alarm system up and running!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

The staff that I have interacted with at Protect America were professional, friendly and knowledgeable. They patiently answered all of my questions and made sure I was happy before ending the phone calls. The panel was bigger than I expected but overall I am happy so far.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

After three years as a customer with a perfect payment history, I contacted Protect America to cancel my service. The experience was a nightmare, including long telephone hold times, being kicked to multiple people and a complicated process designed to thwart cancellation attempts. The ultimate insult was being told that I had to give 30 days written notice to cancel and pay an additional one months' payment for services that I was no longer receiving and did not want. Just a warning to read the fine print before doing business with this company. Once you are in, they won't let you get out.

Dear Glen,

We would like to extend our apologies for your most recent experience. Per Protect America's Monitoring Agreement terms and conditions, the term is for 36 months and we require a thirty day written cancel notice in order to process the cancellation of the account at the end of the term. This information was provided at the initial signing of the contract on January 21, 2014, then further recapitulated to him on September 11, 2017. We received the thirty days written cancel notice on September 11, 2017, and processed the cancellation of the account accordingly. Your account is set to cancel 10/31/17.

Please feel free to contact Customer Service at phone number:1(800) 951-5111, should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I purchased my alarm system here because you could install it yourself and the monthly monitoring was reasonable. I signed a 3 year contract. Everything was fine until I decided to sell my house and look for something smaller. My plan was to cancel the monitoring until my house sold. I was going to offer the system to whoever purchased the house & put them in contact with Protect America for monitoring. Then I would purchase a new system when I got into my home & have them monitor it for me. When I called to cancel the monitoring they kept trying to talk me into keeping it & when I wouldn't I got "disconnected". Then when I would call back it would give me a message that I could leave my number and they would call me back when the representative was free. But when I would push the button to do that it would just keep me on hold, so eventually I would hang up. This went on for 2 days.

I finally called from my work phone & my call was answered. I again explained why I was calling, and was again given the sales pitch about continuing my monitoring. When I again declined she was going to transfer me to cancellation dept and I was "disconnected". I tried over several weeks to accomplish closing my account and could not get it done. I finally called from yet another number and asked to speak to a supervisor right off the bat. The person asked the reason for my call and I said it was personal. So they said they didn't know who to route my call to without knowing the reason. I told them I didn't care I would speak to any supervisor that was available. So finally a man got on the phone and I explained what was going on and how very frustrated I was. So he said he would look over my account an see what he could do to help me. Then he went on trying to talk me into leaving my account open.

I told him I was just getting to work and would he please just close my account because I was going to need to hang up soon. He proceeds to tell me I owe for 2 months of monitoring. So I explained that my system wasn't even hooked up anymore and that is how long I had been trying to close the account. So he told me we would split it, I could cover 1 month & they would credit 1 month. So I agreed so I could finally get my account closed. The next month I received a bill in the mail, so I figured everything hadn't gotten put through yet. But the next month I receive a bill for 2 more months of monitoring. So I call in and the lady tells me my account is not closed. I said "Yes. I talked with a supervisor & we worked everything out." "No ma'am. I'm sorry but he sent you an email with a link for you to fill out cancellation papers & you did not do that so your account is still active and now you are 2 month behind in monitoring fees."

So over the next month I talk to many different people trying to get my account closed, I emailed the CEO from their website & asked him to please call me, never heard a word! So one day in talking to one of the men, he said "Ok I will resend you the cancellation link. Fill it out and pay 1 month monitoring and I will credit the other months that are due." I said "Fine." I sat right down & filled out the check and mailed it. The next day I find the email & open it, but all there is to fill out is my banking info for automatic withdrawls. Until those were filled out you could not click on anything else. So again I call in, I am told I must fill out this info so I can then click on the cancel my account button. I said "No, I've already sent the payment in, there is no need to fill that out. I'm sorry but if you want to close your account you need to click on the link."

Now I'm boiling mad! I have tried to do everything they tell me, I've paid for 2 month of monitoring for a system that is not even hooked up and my account is still not closed! I tried emailing the CEO again and still nothing. So I decide to just shelve it. Quit calling & quit trying because they will not close it. Then I started getting collection emails and post cards in the mail! One evening I called in after work and spoke with a Justin, he was a very calm and pleasant young man. He asked why I wasn't paying my bill and I explained again everything I had been going through. He apologized and said he would do whatever he could to help me. So I said that would be great but that I would not hold my breath.

So he was looking at all their notes and talking with me and he asked why I hadn't done the cancellation email? So I explained I had already sent the check so I didn't need to fill out my bank info & without filling that out it wouldn't let me get to the cancellation part... He told me he could resend the email & I told him I am not putting my banking info online. He said, "Well I don't know how you are going to cancel then." So I said, "Fine. I guess I will just have my account with you forever." Because at this point it seems all they are really trying to do is get me to fill that out so they can keep deducting money from my account. So I said to him, "I absolutely will not put my banking information online, so you need to just pretend I do not have a computer & I need to close my account so what are you going to do for me?"

After a few minutes he tells me that he can print a hard copy of the cancellation and send it to me in the mail, but by the time all that happens I will owe for another month monitoring. I said, "I am not paying you one more dime! My system has not even been hooked up. I've been trying for 6 months to cancel and have paid for two months monitoring that I didn't use just trying to get my account closed! I have emailed your CEO twice with no response. I have put a cancellation letter in with my payment & was told the payments are sent right to the bank for deposit so the letter never came to our office. I'm not paying you anymore." He said, "Well there is nothing I can do to help you then. You have to at least pay one month and I am willing to credit the others, but that is all I can do." So I said, "Fine. If that is what it takes to finally close my account I will pay another month!"

So the envelope comes in the mail, I open it & fill it right out, make out a check for 1 month, put them both in the envelope and mailed it the next morning to the address in Austin, Tx that Justin gave me, so it would come to their office to the cancellation dept. He promised me he would personally stay on top of it so I wouldn't have any more problems & he hoped it would earn my trust back in them & I would continue to do business with them. So I gave it a week and called there for him. He wasn't in & would be later. I left my name & number. 2 days later I call again, left a message. This went on for a couple of weeks & finally one day I actually reach him. He said no, he hadn't seen the paper work yet. He would check and let me know. I checked my bank statement & the check had cleared so I knew they had received it so I quit worrying.

A few days later I get a call saying my account is past due! I said, "No my account is closed. You guys cashed the check and we are done!" "No, we haven't received any cancellation papers." I said, "You had to have because they were in the same envelope as my check and that has been cashed." "I'm sorry but that was only for 1 month and there are still several other months still due." I said, "No, Justin agreed to credit those if I paid the 1 month." "I'm sorry there is nothing in the notes here stating anything like that."

I have NEVER experienced anything like this in my life! I think their only objective is swindle money from people even if it is one month's monitoring at a time!

Now they are claiming they never got my cancellation papers, that I should have sent them certified mail, even though they cashed my check out of that same envelope! And they say I was never told those other months would be credited and if I don't have it paid immediately they are turning me over for collections and it will impact my credit score. I am totally at my wit's end with this company! I truly don't know what else I can possibly do to get this account closed & them to stop calling and sending their collection emails & post cards.

Dear Sheri,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We show that your account is set to cancel 10/31/17. Due to the inconvenience, we placed a credit towards your final month.

Please feel free to contact Customer Service at phone number: 1(800) 951-5111, should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

You need to give this girl a raise. She knows her stuff. She is chipper and friendly and upfront about costs, what I really need vs. what I think I want. Got me a great deal and an extra fob. No heavy sales or pushing - just the facts. I hope the service I get for the next 3 years is as good as her. I am a little concerned about a 3 year contract but I am going to trust that your service isn't going to give me any problems and that your customer service department lives up to Lyndsey.

Protect America Company Information

1992
3800 Quick Hill Rd., Bldg. 1-100
Austin
TX
www.protectamerica.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use