Call toll free
3.44/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

Protect America Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

2386 Protect America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had 5 years ago no issues. Best service. Thank you for having us. Good company. I have a store and it's been pretty good for me. The best service I have so far. They treating me well. I am enjoying this company and I've been referring to other my friends. Thank you very much. Customer service is the best.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I spoke with a Miss Ciara ** and she was just so patient and kind, I just wanted to thank her in some kind of way. Please give her my thanks and maybe a day off with pay, SHE IS GREAT! Just old fashion great customer care.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I used the online chat with customer support today, as it was before opening hours for the phone lines. I spoke with Gloria. This was the fastest service I have had yet. I was very pleased to solve all my problems quickly and effectively. Thank you!! I will most likely used the online chat again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

The person was very helpful to take care of what I waited on line today for 30 minutes, entered in my number and never got a call back as was stated. Putting in my data above again after it was already put in by the request to start the chat.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Brittany was great and helped me out with my issue really fast as I did not have a lot of time because I was in a rush. I would definitely recommend Protect America to all of my friends. Keep up the good work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Monthly System test. They check my system and they do a great job to make sure me and my wife are safe. I can call them if I have a problem and they will walk me through my problem so it will be fixed.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My experience with Protect America Security System was courteous, prompt, thorough and, professional. I will recommend them to my family and friends! We had been in the market considering a system for a long time when we were introduced to Protect America. The promotion caused us to make a speedy decision to join the Protect America.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Everything was excellent with superior service compared to others out on the market. From start to finish, quick and easy. The system is great. So fast with no real complaints and the customer service was phenomenal. I would recommend this to anyone looking to have a peace of mind either at home or away.

Resolution response: Oct. 19, 2018

After responding to my review, Protect America finally agreed to do what they had originally told me they were going to. After two phone calls, a chat online and having to write a review, I got my issue resolved. It’s unfortunate that I had to give them a poor review before they did anything. I would give the person that responded to my review five stars.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Terrible experience! Trying to charge for two months of service after I canceled. I canceled on 7 August 2018. They are billing me for August and through September 2018. They state that you have to cancel at the end of the month. So I have a bill for $27.99 that I’m not going to pay. The rep that I spoke with in Aug. told me I only owed eight dollars for September. I called after receiving a bill in October to let them know I wasn’t going to pay. They are insisting that it’s a valid charge. I have not use their service since August 7 and they are billing me for almost two complete months. Huge money grab. Terrible company to deal with. I went with SimpliSafe for $15.99 a month. Their service has been great.

Dear Deb,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your most recent experience with us but our records show that you contacted our office on 8/7/18 and requested to cancel service. We explained that we require a 30 written cancellation notice to cancel service with us.

On 8/9/18-as a courtesy to you we offered to prorate the final bill. After reviewing the account we found that the credit was not applied. Again, we would like to apologize for your recent experience and the current balance have been cleared.

Please feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional concerns.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

These people will automatically re-enroll you in the payment system and still take money from your bank account even after you have requested to stop the services. My services were canceled last year and they are still taking money from my account while admitting that I am no longer under contract. Every time I am transferred to a "payment Specialist" I get "disconnected." Every, single, time. Stay far away from this company, they are thieves!

Dear Monica:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your most recent experience with us but our records show that you renewed with us on 5/1/17 for a 1 year agreement. With that being said, your account was eligible for cancellation on 5/1/18. Our billing team had the opportunity to speak with you and explained that we require written notice to cancel service. Our cancellation team have made several attempts in reaching you but have been unsuccessful in doing so.

At this time we ask that you contact an Account Specialist at 800-951-5111 to assist with your cancellation request.

Customer Protection

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I haven’t done the installation portion yet, but I gave it 5 stars anyways because I can already tell it’ll be a breeze. I already did a survey to the CEO on the webpage, but I will do another because that’s how much of an excellent person Cynthia is! I don’t think I’ve ever had so much ease in a purchase, and I wouldn’t have expected it to be in home security. But that’s how good Cynthia is. She worked with me mainly by email due to my work situation, and then when it was time for the phone call, the last steps of the process were a breeze as she took the time to walk me through it. I would recommend her a thousand times over!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

DO NOT BUY. DO NOT ORDER SERVICE... YOU WILL BE TRAPPED FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!! Then they want you to become a sales person and sell the equipment to get out of the contract... You cannot cancel and you cannot terminate. They are making free money!! Everyone getting paid off of you... every one eating getting free lunch and breakfast and dinner!! I repeat do not call!!!

Dear Courtney,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We apologize for your most recent experience.

Please feel free to contact our Account Specialist at (800) 951-5111 should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Customer Protection

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Outstanding customer service. Outstanding. Clear, concise, professional voice. Apologized for my being on hold for lengthy spells. Understood that I wanted to stay with Protect America due to my familiarity with the system but that I was also comparing quotes from other companies to get the best value.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My mother who is 83 was approached about security system at her home. They said they would give her a 200 visa card to sign up. No mention from the sales rep of how long or even if you have to have a contract. My mother was in the process of selling her home which she did last month and she doesn't even have the system as it was left at her old residence. After calling to cancel, I mean why would you be paying for a security monitoring system for someone else's home you no longer own, she was informed that she has to pay for 5 years now. What a scam and literally elderly abuse and fraud to take advantage of someone like that. Told my mother to cancel the credit card and the bank said they would still have to pay them. Well, guess what, she is not going to pay it and will be contact the Ohio Better Business Bureau and then an attorney. They need to stop preying on the elderly... Would never recommend them.

Dear Raymond,

Please provide your contact information and allow our Customer Protection team to review your mother's account for a resolution.

Customer Protection

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had a bad experience with this company. Once they sign you up, there is no follow up and hard to get in touch for any questions... you’ll be in the phone for a while. Beware and read the agreement carefully before you sign... you can’t disconnect right away once you finish your contract... there is a 30 day and still you have to pay for that 30 day. They are more expensive than other companies. You have to install yourself and be on the phone while installing. If you will cancel earlier, you have to pay for the remaining months. I had emailed customer service few times and never emailed me for the agreement of cancellation.

Dear Mary,

Our records show that your account is set to cancel 10/31/18.

Please feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional questions or concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I have been a customer for almost 6 years. After my contract was satisfied Protect America kept me on a month to month monitoring plan where I stayed for years. For the last 2 years I don’t even think the alarm was communicating with central station as I had numerous false alarms and never a call from station. I attempted to upgrade my alarm in 2016 but didn’t want to get locked in for another 2 years. Then I had another child and the alarm the alarm monitoring was not an immediate priority. Back in July I went back and forth with Protect America to see if they would offer some incentive for me to upgrade. After some research I found that I had been paying top dollar all this time for almost no service from them. I found that if I switched companies I would get all kinds of additional benefits for less then what I had been paying.

Protect America attempted to upsell me and my incentive to stay would’ve cost me an install 1000 dollars. No way. I contacted their customer support and told them I was canceling monitoring service. I was told to fax a letter to them which I did in July. Now In September I receive an invoice for monitoring service and call them to resolve the incorrect charge. I am told I need to follow some other cancellation steps and click a link to cancel. The customer service rep was extremely rude, prying and totally unwilling to do anything to reverse these fraudulent charges. I search for similar experiences and I find that they have been conducting this scam since day one. Look for yourself.

There are literally hundreds of people with the same experience. How this is allowed to continue is beyond me. This has now become a matter of principle and as a government employee in the agency, I will do everything in my power to see that these charges are dismissed and the American people know what type of operation Protect America is conducting.

Dear Jana,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. It appears a faxed cancel request was never received in our office. Our records show that we've had the opportunity to resolve your concerns with canceling your service.

We would like to apologize for your recent experience and ask that you contact us at 800-951-5111 should you have additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I'm being held hostage to a 3 year contract I allegedly signed via e-mail. I have moved twice and have been asking for help to get out of the contract for 2 and a half years. We haven't used the service at all yet all I get is, "Sorry, you signed the contract." when I call for help. DO NOT USE PROTECT AMERICA!!

Dear Kevin,

We would like to thank you for your feedback. Our records show that we've had the opportunity to speak with you on several occasions and addressed you concerns. We would like the opportunity to speak with you about this and ensure we have addressed your concerns. Please feel free to contact or Retention team at 800-951-5111.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The chat service is awesome. It helps you manage your system very easily. It’s probably the lower cost option and you get great equipment and great service via chat. I have been with Protect America for 7 years now and it has been great. Just renewed for another 3 years.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Jorge was awesome, had wonderful customer service skills & was able to help me out with getting a new system. I would highly recommended them to any person just starting out with credit to go with this company, I got my system for nothing down but first months bill.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My now ex-wife and I bought my alarm system in August 2015 and have had generally a good experience, until I decided to cancel the service in July 2018. I wanted to make sure that I gave plenty of notice so they couldn’t say I didn’t give 30 days notice. I had to cancel because my house is being sold due to bankruptcy. I am writing this on August 20th 2018 and my system has been disconnected since the beginning of the month. I have called and written multiple emails telling of my intent to cancel and they tell me the only way for me to cancel is to complete their online forms which requires a credit card/debit card which I no longer have because of the bankruptcy.

This online form requires a payment before it will let you continue. I spoke with a few customer service reps that tried to offer me a reduced rate of $9.99 per month for 6 months if I signed up for another year long contract. I explained to them I wouldn’t have a house to set up the alarm system at and they sent me the link again. I let them know I could not complete the link online and they have sent me an email almost every day with the same link attached. I figured I would make Consumer Affairs my first stop so everyone is well aware of the games before they sign a long term contract they can’t get out of.

Dear William,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that we have reached a resolution with you.

Please email the requested information to the email address provided to you.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I was looking for a Security company and I looked high and low for a reputable company with a good rating. Out of all the Security companies, I found Protect America who had a higher rating than the other companies. I applied online and was notified immediately by Juan the sales rep. The other company said notify within 24 hours. Well, too late you all have my business. Thanks to Juan for making it happen today.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The representative Shaniqua ** went above and beyond to earn and keep my business as a customer. I wish there were more representatives like her in every company. I felt valued and respected as a customer of 5 years straight.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We signed up with Protect America and 3 months into the use of equipment. We had trouble with the base unit and were told we need a new antenna and to install it on a window due to home phone interference. We installed new antenna and for the next couple of months. It worked fine. Then we started getting false alarm on our bedroom window sensor. The police were at the home numerous times and we called in for technical help was told by their tech to reverse the window sensors as that was the problem so we tried that. Same issues. Called in again we were very fed up at this point. We were told to send the equipment back which I did and paid 28.89 for shipping it back after they sent a label.

Now we're being harassed every week and there stating we owe 175.00 in back service monitoring fees (We don't even have the equipment anymore. We were told to send it back which we did). This company is a big scam and rip off. They keep saying to call and talk about it, but getting the same old run around. Next we are going to seek legal counsel and pursue legal action against them. OUR ADVICE RUN AWAY!!! As quick as possible or they will hook you too!!!

Dear Roger:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us and ask that you please contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111 to allow us the opportunity to discuss your experience.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My parents signed up for this service in 2009 and paid "monitoring" fees near $50/month. In 2016, they moved to VOIP and Protect America roped them into another FOUR YEAR contract for an additional $1400 in "free" new equipment. With the rates being too much to sustain with rising medical bills and stagnant social security benefits, Protect America re-negotiated in 1/2018 to lower the monitoring rate. This was done by roping them into another FOUR YEAR contract with no new equipment, that could only be canceled by returning equipment they did not receive within 3 days of the signing the contract. They paid $1118.76 on these two contracts until health and expenses forced them to give up their home and move in with relatives.

Protect America provided no new equipment in 2018, but is demanding my elderly parents spend $1832.52 to "reduce payments" on the 2016 contract or find some other schmuck to take over payments and the 2-year-old equipment for them. THEY HAVE NO HOME TO MONITOR, can't sell the equipment because of the exorbitant rates, and yet this scumbag company is demanding they continue paying for monitoring services they cannot possibly receive. The simple answer is to accept a return of the unused equipment from 2016 (that they've receive almost $1100 toward) and cancel the contract rather than publicly scam elderly, retired people who have no home to monitor.

Dear Tammy,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your parent's recent experience with us.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111, so we can address your questions and/or concerns in this matter.

Original review: July 23, 2018

From sales to customer service, this company rocks! The sales rep wasn't pushy, but made sure I understood everything before finalizing the agreement. And the installation service rep went above and beyond in assisting us throughout the installation and activation process. Even when we had to call in for guidance after the installation, the service reps made us feel like we really mattered to them. The whole team made this the most pleasant and stress-free experience I think I've ever had.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Ms. C. **, exceeded our expectations. She was very classy, professional and personal. Ms. ** continued to remind my wife and me that she was a security consultant and not a salesperson and that’s exactly how we felt. We did not feel rushed, but that she had our family safety as the primary factor. She was very patience with us. There were several times we would place her on hold to discuss a matter, ask her another question, and caucus again and she remained patience. We asked a technical question, she took the time to go ask a technician, apologized for the two (2) minute wait, and provided an appropriate and sufficient response. Ms. ** continued to welcome us to the Protect America family and sent us a personal email thanking us. We don’t have buyer’s remorse, but feel that out of all the options we explored Protect America is the best of the best solution.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Appreciate Kindness, patience and customer service provided by Martha ** and George ** to renew my Protect America home security contract, I was looking out for new service provider, but after I talk to Martha **, I changed my mind and switched back to Protect America, because of excellent customer service provided by them.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I am a customer for about 7+ years. I thought of upgrading my system and called them and I got the upgrade as per my request. I will be receiving my new indoor Security Cameras next week. The representative was very kind and helpful. I will definitely recommend Protect America to my Friends.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Mr. Errol ** was very nice and knowledgeable about your product. Excellent Employee. Better keep this employee. Enjoyed talking to him, because he is also a Dallas Cowboy Fan. I am a die heart fan also. Very nice Gentlemen and glad to deal with him.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Derick 100% perfect customer service. Helped with all explanations and questions with no pressure or hurry. Highly recommend. Looking forward to using this company as my security provider. I'm a pretty low key customer with little demands and I feel that Protect America was the right choice for me. Keep it up!

Protect America expert review by Erin Raub

Get do-it-yourself home security and automation with 3 different packages for $19.99-$42.99 a month. Systems have a lifetime warranty on 3-year contracts and come with free moving kits.

• Free system: Protect America gets you started with a free, basic equipment package when you sign up for a monitoring plan. Consumers can upgrade equipment for an additional fee.

• Low monthly fee: Protect America offers one of the cheapest security plans available with options starting around $20 a month for basic equipment and monitoring via landline.

• Two-way voice system: Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem – and enables you to instantly call out for help, if required.

• Equipment guarantee: Protect America’s equipment is guaranteed for three years. The company doesn’t charge an insurance fee for this protection.

• Installation: Protect America offers phone support for your DIY installation.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protect America Company Information