Call toll free
3.98/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

Protect America Video
Protect America Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Protect America has some of the most affordable home security packages on the market. Although their cancellation process could be better, setup is easy and reviews mention excellent customer service.

PROS

• Economically priced basic system
  • Simple DIY installation
  • Low price guarantee

CONS

• Inconvenient cancellation process

Top Protect America Reviews

I've been a customer of Protect America for years and recently upgraded my system thru the online Chat. Great customer service! I have had a couple accidental activation over the years, too, and they respond very promptly. I'm confident that they'll be there if there's a real emergency.

The customer service was so easy to get real-time support, promptly, while lounging on my couch. I accessed the real-time support from an iOS app that I downloaded. The interface of the app is so simple to use - very intuitive. No documentation needed. Simple and effective.

How does Protect America work?

Protect America offers simple, affordable home security systems with a straightforward DIY setup that takes less than an hour to complete. Using Protect America’s automation features, you can control settings throughout your home, like heating and cooling, lights, and powered window blinds. You don’t have to pay for equipment from Protect America, just the monthly monitoring fee.

Each Protect America home security system comes with free use of the Protect America app: SMART Connect. The app can arm and disarm the system, turn lights on and off, lock and unlock doors and stream video from security cameras.

Protect America cost

Protect America offers a low price guarantee, which is not at all common among home security companies. The cost for their Copper plan is already one of the lowest you will find anywhere for a good home security system. Protect America does not charge customers for the cost of equipment, just a monthly monitoring rate, which is another rarity.

PlanMonthly cost
Copper$19.99
Silver$37.99
Platinum$42.99

Protect America plans and packages

Protect America offers three plans: Copper, Silver and Platinum. The Platinum package costs slightly more than the Silver plan, but provides 5 additional sensors. The Copper plan is likely best for those with smaller homes who don’t need tons of equipment. Every package with a Protect America yard sign and decals. See what comes with each package below:

Copper planSilver planPlatinum plan
Copper plan3
Silver plan9
Platinum plan14

Protect America equipment

Once you’ve chosen your Protect America plan, you can purchase additional equipment to bolster your home’s security; such as, the Simon XTI control panel — a powerful device that can monitor and control up to 40 devices. You can also add the August Smart Lock Pro that allows you to unlock and lock doors, and the Linear Garage Door Controller controls your garage door remotely. With Z-Wave technology, you can manage all of these things plus your home's lighting under one network. Protect America’s system can also integrate with the Amazon Echo. Additional equipment from Protect America includes:

• Door and window sensors
  • Carbon monoxide detectors
  • Wireless cameras
  • Keypad locks

Protect America FAQ

How to cancel Protect America?
As with most companies, Protect America cancellation is a bit of a process. You need to send a written letter to Protect America 60 days before you want to cancel. If you cancel within 30 days of beginning the contract, you won’t have to pay anything except for a $19.95 activation charge.
What do reviews say about Protect America customer service?
Protect America security reviews speak highly of the company’s customer service and mention quick technical help with friendly representatives. Protect America reviews in general rate the company well.

Is Protect America a good security system?

We give high marks to Protect America’s home security system. Their already low costs are bolstered by their price match guarantee. We also love their easy DIY setup. If you’re looking for an affordable security system with home automation features, Protect America is a great choice.

Protect America Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Wilfred really went extra miles to try to win my heart back. We have been a long term customer, as usual, we called for customer service for issues, but I didn't get the treatment I expected but "you are on your own" kinda feeling in the end. I decided to leave and just before I completely locked my heart from you, Wilfred called and he was able to work things out for me, and knowing that I am already on my way out, he had to do so much extra just to keep me. Wilfred is a keeper. Kudos to him!

Protect America response

Hi Karen, Thank you for the feedback. We're happy to hear about your positive customer experience and will make sure to pass along the kudos to Wilfred and his supervisor. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

You should be so lucky to be connected to a Customer Care Representative who's name is Brandt. I have just established a contract with Protect America. I'm very happy with my service. I live alone and have had some break ins. I didn't understand one procedure (something I was doing wrong) and Customer Care Brandt couldn't have been any kinder in explaining it to me. He took time to talk about products I was interested in and explained in detail how it worked and if it would be beneficial to my needs. He is a valuable employee who really likes his job. After our conversation, I was in a great mood and I felt I got the best education in this companies products and services. He really represented your company in the most excellent way. Thanks Protect America!

Original review: March 29, 2019

The woman we first spoke to had zero interest in helping us, suggesting we would have to wait 4 years before we could get a new system installed and it would cost $150.00 to have a customer service person come out. This, as we found out, was a total fabrication. The young man we spoke to was very understanding (he was a supervisor) his name is Joshua **. He took the time to work with us and understand what to do. The original sensor on the window frame no longer worked and I was unable to remove it. His suggestion was simple. Put the new sensor in a new place and we did. It works great and we are so grateful to him for the time and patience he showed to a customer who has been with you for 20 years.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I called the same 800# I have used for 10 yrs and was told they showed my address and account, but no longer carried my acct as active. I was given a different # to 'Central Station' by the first operator, Central Sta. confirmed she had my account and it was active. I was ANGRY you changed the 800# on me and I did not know. I tried your regular 800 951-5111 - message - option 4 then another message - option 6 - sat on hold forever listening to advertisements for Protect America upgrades and got more frustrated...

Went to your website, more angry than I can say, and opted to use Chat. Was helped by Neal. Very long conversation but he helped me calm down, helped me recover my PW to my phone App and also I updated my phone book with your current numbers. Neal is OK, never let my anger get to him and he was knowledgeable and took care of me. BUT UNDERSTAND THAT IF A REAL ALARM HAD BEEN GOING ON AND I CALLED THE OLD NUMBER THEY WOULD HAVE TURNED ME AWAY. That stinks!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Recently I had a sensor that went off twice without any reason. I read that the battery might need to be changed so I tried that and the system was still telling me the window was open, so I contacted customer support at Protect America. My support person Gloria was just outstanding. We did several tests on the old one and she said that it appeared I needed a new one. They would send me one for $5.00 since it was under warranty, but I had went ahead and took advantage of their winter sale and purchased a couple extra just in case. Anyway, she helped me clear my history status, and then I installed the new one which we tested. She walked me thru the entire process. After deleting the old sensor and registering the new one, we set it up and my system is now back up. I am so glad to have had the great support and want to thank Protect America and its great staff, and thank Gloria for her help and patience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had a great experience with changing our system. Calvin was very professional And kind and took care of all of our needs. Great customer service. We were on the phone for over an hour and he made the process smoother and positive.

Protect America response

Hi Amy, Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re happy to hear our team was able to provide you with assistance. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I strongly recommend Protect America if there is an emergency. They are truly the best and I am confident in their ability to monitor my home and ensure my security. I like the fact that my monthly price does not increase. I have been a customer for seven years. What I find most frustrating is the lengthy wait time to speak to a customer service rep. I have "pushed 1 to leave my call back number two times this past week...to hold my place on the queue" only to NEVER get a call back. I'm still waiting and it's been over three hours.

Dear Diane:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. There are times that we have peak hours and the call volume is higher than others. We would like to inform you that you are also able to contact us by going to www.myprotectamerica.com and choosing the "chat" option. At this time it appears that we've spoke with you and addressed your concerns.

Please let us know if we can assist you any further.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Updated on 12/10/2019: Disconnecting the service should be easier and not the ordeal it is. Instead of having staff swiftly responding online reviews, move them to the "disconnection department". Postponing termination of services in order to keep collecting customer's money is working for you so far, but in a competitive market economy, it won't work forever. It's been a pain doing business with you.

I just attempted to pay my due amount - I tried to get a lawyer to deal with Protect America but is more expensive than just paying the balance of 3 months (I requested disconnection in August but the "disconnection department" is never available and never calls back). My only solution was to deal directly with my Bank and after an investigation, it was determined I was correct (I provided call back tickets they never responded, emails, chat transcripts). Just now, in December I found out that service is still not disconnected and more, I have a balance for these 3 months! Paid the balance and then I keep receiving emails about an account being created, e-signatures, a packet on its way.. this is a nightmare. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PROTECT AMERICA. Yes, is all beautiful and nice.. just wait the 3 year and decide to terminate service. They are leeches!

Original Review: After my 3 year contract was met, I tried for 4 months to stop the service. Always a different excuse as to why not. Every time I called, no staff was available in the department that managed disconnections. Contact cannot be cancelled by email or chat or phone call unless you speak with that department (and they are never available!). From day 0 it was a disaster. After 1 year of paying my part of agreement, I found out in my State the law requires I sign and send to the Police a filled form with information, so they can come if my alarm goes off. Well, I spent 1 year without being protected. Sensors fail constantly too.

After 2 months without having the service disconnected and them collecting the monthly payments, my only option was to get in contact with my Bank. They did an investigation (I provided dates of calls, chat transcripts and "call order #"), they concluded I was correct and gave me back the 2 months they collected illegally and I thought it all had a happy ending. I was wrong: 2 months later I was contacted again for an outstanding balance equivalent to 2 months of service and then a debt collector agency started calling me. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They are borderline fraudulent!

Dear Karelia:

If you would like to contact us, you can do so by calling 1-800-951-5111 and selecting option 4, or by chatting with us online by going to www.protectamerica.com and clicking on our “Online Chat” feature. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Your help desk staff are very nice. Their soft skills are excellent. I think they are put in a bad situation because you have cancellation process needs a lot of work. It is crazy to have to wait 24 hours for a form that allows one to cancel. If the reason you do this is so people forget to cancel, the long term affects of this strategy may be doing more harm than good. Otherwise, tell Docusign to send out that signature form real-time. While we were irritated with your process, we had an good experience with Jacob who resolved our issue.

Protect America response

Hi David, We greatly appreciate your feedback. We’re always looking for new ways to improve our customer’s experience. We will pass your feedback along to our company leaders. If we can assist you in any other way, please let us know.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I can't say enough about Protect America. I have been a customer for ten years and I couldn't imagine being with any other Alarm company. Their equipment and technology are great. New products are introduced often and customer service is unmatched. The best part of all, everything works!

Protect America response

Hi Charles, Thank you for the review! We’re happy to hear about your positive experience with our Care team and that you’re enjoying your system. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Protect America Company Information