Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

BOTTOM LINE

Protect America has some of the most affordable home security packages on the market. Although their cancellation process could be better, setup is easy and reviews mention excellent customer service.

PROS

• Economically priced basic system
    • Simple DIY installation
    • Low price guarantee

CONS

• Inconvenient cancellation process

Top Protect America Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

I've been a customer of Protect America for years and recently upgraded my system thru the online Chat. Great customer service! I have had a couple accidental activation over the years, too, and they respond very promptly. I'm confident that they'll be there if there's a real emergency.

The customer service was so easy to get real-time support, promptly, while lounging on my couch. I accessed the real-time support from an iOS app that I downloaded. The interface of the app is so simple to use - very intuitive. No documentation needed. Simple and effective.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Information from Protect America on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Protect America is fully committed to the safety and security of its employees and customers. Its security systems are custom-built using all precautionary measures and delivered straight to customers’ doors to minimize human interaction. During this challenging time, Protect America’s sales and customer support offices will operate from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. On weekends, the customer support team will be available from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. CST. Professional monitoring stations will continue to operate 24/7.

How does Protect America work?

Protect America offers simple, affordable home security systems with a straightforward DIY setup that takes less than an hour to complete. Using Protect America’s automation features, you can control settings throughout your home, like heating and cooling, lights, and powered window blinds. You don’t have to pay for equipment from Protect America, just the monthly monitoring fee.

Each Protect America home security system comes with free use of the Protect America app: SMART Connect. The app can arm and disarm the system, turn lights on and off, lock and unlock doors and stream video from security cameras.

Protect America cost

Protect America offers a low price guarantee, which is not at all common among home security companies. The cost for their Copper plan is already one of the lowest you will find anywhere for a good home security system. Protect America does not charge customers for the cost of equipment, just a monthly monitoring rate, which is another rarity.

PlanMonthly cost
      Copper$19.99
      Silver$37.99
      Platinum$42.99

Protect America plans and packages

Protect America offers three plans: Copper, Silver and Platinum. The Platinum package costs slightly more than the Silver plan, but provides 5 additional sensors. The Copper plan is likely best for those with smaller homes who don’t need tons of equipment. Every package with a Protect America yard sign and decals. See what comes with each package below:

Copper planSilver planPlatinum plan
      Copper plan3
      Silver plan9
      Platinum plan14

Protect America equipment

Once you’ve chosen your Protect America plan, you can purchase additional equipment to bolster your home’s security; such as, the Simon XTI control panel — a powerful device that can monitor and control up to 40 devices. You can also add the August Smart Lock Pro that allows you to unlock and lock doors, and the Linear Garage Door Controller controls your garage door remotely. With Z-Wave technology, you can manage all of these things plus your home's lighting under one network. Protect America’s system can also integrate with the Amazon Echo. Additional equipment from Protect America includes:

• Door and window sensors
      • Carbon monoxide detectors
      • Wireless cameras
      • Keypad locks

Protect America FAQ

How to cancel Protect America?
      As with most companies, Protect America cancellation is a bit of a process. You need to send a written letter to Protect America 60 days before you want to cancel. If you cancel within 30 days of beginning the contract, you won’t have to pay anything except for a $19.95 activation charge.
      What do reviews say about Protect America customer service?
      Protect America security reviews speak highly of the company’s customer service and mention quick technical help with friendly representatives. Protect America reviews in general rate the company well.

Is Protect America a good security system?

We give high marks to Protect America’s home security system. Their already low costs are bolstered by their price match guarantee. We also love their easy DIY setup. If you’re looking for an affordable security system with home automation features, Protect America is a great choice.

Protect America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: March 21, 2020

As a person living with mental illness I was greeted with a person that was very patient with me and I highly recommend this company. They were very patient with me and although I can't say you'll get the same representative I got I would imagine the company has more people like this! They gave very detailed information and sent me a quote of what exactly I needed to make me feel safe in my home. Although I haven't purchased yet I am pretty sure I am going to do so. I gave them 5+ stars for their customer service. Way to go !!!! Thanks Mike !!!! - A Happy customer named Bill

William:

We greatly appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Mike.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: March 13, 2020

Excellent customer service provider. Great solutions provider. He never stop until find me the best solution possible. I’m great full of my selection of Protect America between others competitors; the only and unique downside or complain that I want to bring up is the slow and consuming time when I have to call for help and customer services support. More than an hour. Ridiculous.

Hello Eduardo:

Thank you for your feedback. While we do have peak hours of operation where some customers may have to wait longer than normal, we to find this unsatisfactory and are working to improve our service delivery. During those peak times, we have a few options for our customers which include leaving their phone number for a callback option without losing their place in queue or using our chat service or by going to www.myprotectamerica.com for assistance.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional concerns.

Customer Protection

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I was shopping around for a cheaper option and planning to switch to SimpliSafe. I spoke to Tiffany and she educated me on why Protect America was better then gave me an deal that I could not turn down. She was very helpful and I appreciated her customer service. Other than that the only thing I wish Protect America can improve on is getting someone on the line when a customer calls in. It was rather hard when I called in I had to go through a lot of automated messages and selecting options then the wait time was also very long.

Protect America response

Hi Tommy, Thank you for your feedback. Although we strive to handle each customer with special care and consideration, we do experience high call volumes during peak times. If there is any way we can improve your experience as a customer, please leave us a “Private Message” with the name and address associated with your account. Once we verify you as a customer, one of our team members will reach out to you.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Wilfred really went extra miles to try to win my heart back. We have been a long term customer, as usual, we called for customer service for issues, but I didn't get the treatment I expected but "you are on your own" kinda feeling in the end. I decided to leave and just before I completely locked my heart from you, Wilfred called and he was able to work things out for me, and knowing that I am already on my way out, he had to do so much extra just to keep me. Wilfred is a keeper. Kudos to him!

Protect America response

Hi Karen, Thank you for the feedback. We're happy to hear about your positive customer experience and will make sure to pass along the kudos to Wilfred and his supervisor. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

On Tuesday, August 27, 2019, Mr. Benjamin ** spent countless minutes helping my husband Brian ** troubleshoot the new and updated products from Protect America. We have been a customer of Protect America for 10 years. The time, energy, effort and support from Mr. Benjamin exemplify true leadership and patience. My husband is very, very technical and detailed, so I know what he was working with. I commend him for his honesty and drive to find an answer when he didn’t know them. Please take the time to acknowledge Mr. Benjamin **. for his sincere dedication in helping and listening to the customer. Suggestions: A paid day off, promotion, gift cards all sounds appropriate in keeping "Great Help".

With sincere regards,

Mrs. Kim

Kim:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for being a valued customer of Protect America. We will definitely pass this on to Benjamin's leaders.

Original review: June 23, 2020

This was the worse company I have ever been with. They are rude and the system itself is horrible!! When I called to cancel because I was dissatisfied they got really disrespectful and basically tried to force me to keep the service! System never works, had a burglary and only reason I knew is because my neighbors called the police and myself! They heard the alarm going off but the company never called me or the police! Order at your own risk.

Original review: June 23, 2020

Protect America is a sham. They will do everything possible to prevent you from cancelling their service. We have written letters and called many times. When they know you want to cancel, they shuttle you off to wait interminably on hold until you can speak with an “account specialist”. They literally will keep you waiting For hours and then “accidentally” hang up. Learn from our mistake. This is a dishonest organization.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Don’t sign up with these people. My contract expires next month and they told me 6 months ago I couldn’t cancel until 1 month prior to my contract expiration. I am now within 1 month and have repeatedly tried to call them and when I tell them why I’m calling they transfer me to perma hold. I am now, as I write this, on perma hold again and this time it’s 25 minutes so far. Very shady company so don’t get involved with these people.

Protect America response

Hi Chris, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have about your account. Please reply with the name and address associated with your account and a member of our team will reach out to you once we verify your customer information.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I am one of thousands of customers who have given a 1 star rating for Protect America because they are using unethical business practices. There are so many issues, but to be succinct:

1. When I signed up, I made sure that I could move the alarm system to other properties during the 3 year contract. (I rehab houses and explained that to the sales person). When I went to do just that, they would not allow it and I had to make at least ten frustrating calls to finally get someone to be accountable and allow what I was promised when I signed up.

2. The box stopped working properly during the 3 year contract period and they would not fix it or exchange it - basically they told me I would have to buy a new one -

3. I went to cancel my services and there is no way to cancel online. There is also no way to access your credit card to edit that, or cancel that, the one they are charging every month - They have got you in their grip. When you call in to cancel, you have to pass through sales type people, even though you tell them you want to cancel your acct --- they do not tell you that they don't do that, until you tell them over and over again you don't have a lot of time and need to cancel the acct. Then they transfer to you to the cancellation department and guess what? No one picks up the phone! - I waited over an hour and got fed up and finally put my number in for a call back. No -one called back. I did this at least 8 times over the course of 6 weeks or so --- I also tried to email, no email to write to. So I tried the chat and no-one could help me there either --- you are trapped and have to call to cancel but they don't pick up the phone or call you back!!

Then when finally I called my bank to stop payment with them --- finally, I got through to someone to cancel my acct--- then they said I would have to pay for two months in order to cancel ---! What? -- They don't pick up the phone - and then they charge you for your time --- There needs to be a class action suit done against them. I am on it. Talking to lawyers tomorrow - Believe me, people have been screwed over worse than me when I started looking at the reviews --- but it's all just wrong. This is a manipulative and greedy company with terrible customer service and they should not be allowed to stay in business.

Original review: June 2, 2020

At signup time they are the nicest company but as soon as you want to cancel they are unavailable, deceiving with misinformation, uncooperative, and will give you the runaround. When I finally got them to send me an email with a link to cancel it was just a bill charging me almost 60 days in advance. Another representative told me to call on a specific date to easily cancel and when I did they told me it was too late to cancel for that month. I hardy ever got through on the phone line and they only called me back once. Obviously I’m very disappointed and stressed. I’ve sent their 2 headquarters letters of cancellation And emailed their CEO hoping it’s finally over. Terrible customer service.

Protect America response

Hi Joseph, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback and we’re more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have about your account. Please reply with the name and address associated with your account and a member of our team will reach out to you once we verify your customer information.

Protect America author review by Ben Mannes

Protect America’s home security and automation packages start at $19.99 a month and have a one-time $19.95 activation fee. Contract terms are typically 36 months, and a 60-day cancellation notice is required.

• Security equipment: All plans include a control panel hub, door and window sensors, a motion detector, a yard sign and door and window stickers. You can upgrade your equipment for an additional fee to add smart locks, a linear garage door controller with Z-Wave technology, smoke and flood sensors, wireless cameras, glass-break sensors, motion detectors and keypad locks.

• Security features: Use the SMART Connect home automation app to monitor activity and control your system from anywhere. Smart home automation features include HD video surveillance services, smoke and fire monitoring, smart door lock control, garage door control and smart lighting. Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem and lets you call for help instantly.

• Monitoring services: 24/7 monitoring starts at $19.99/month.

• Installation: Protect America offers phone support for DIY installation. The company charges a one-time $19.95 activation fee.

• Trial period: If you cancel within 30 days, you don't have to pay anything except the activation fee.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protect America Company Information