Call toll free
3.33/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

Protect America Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

2371 Protect America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I have been a customer for almost 6 years. After my contract was satisfied Protect America kept me on a month to month monitoring plan where I stayed for years. For the last 2 years I don’t even think the alarm was communicating with central station as I had numerous false alarms and never a call from station. I attempted to upgrade my alarm in 2016 but didn’t want to get locked in for another 2 years. Then I had another child and the alarm the alarm monitoring was not an immediate priority. Back in July I went back and forth with Protect America to see if they would offer some incentive for me to upgrade. After some research I found that I had been paying top dollar all this time for almost no service from them. I found that if I switched companies I would get all kinds of additional benefits for less then what I had been paying.

Protect America attempted to upsell me and my incentive to stay would’ve cost me an install 1000 dollars. No way. I contacted their customer support and told them I was canceling monitoring service. I was told to fax a letter to them which I did in July. Now In September I receive an invoice for monitoring service and call them to resolve the incorrect charge. I am told I need to follow some other cancellation steps and click a link to cancel. The customer service rep was extremely rude, prying and totally unwilling to do anything to reverse these fraudulent charges. I search for similar experiences and I find that they have been conducting this scam since day one. Look for yourself.

There are literally hundreds of people with the same experience. How this is allowed to continue is beyond me. This has now become a matter of principle and as a government employee in the agency, I will do everything in my power to see that these charges are dismissed and the American people know what type of operation Protect America is conducting.

Dear Jana,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. It appears a faxed cancel request was never received in our office. Our records show that we've had the opportunity to resolve your concerns with canceling your service.

We would like to apologize for your recent experience and ask that you contact us at 800-951-5111 should you have additional questions or concerns.

Customer Protection

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I'm being held hostage to a 3 year contract I allegedly signed via e-mail. I have moved twice and have been asking for help to get out of the contract for 2 and a half years. We haven't used the service at all yet all I get is, "Sorry, you signed the contract." when I call for help. DO NOT USE PROTECT AMERICA!!

Dear Kevin,

We would like to thank you for your feedback. Our records show that we've had the opportunity to speak with you on several occasions and addressed you concerns. We would like the opportunity to speak with you about this and ensure we have addressed your concerns. Please feel free to contact or Retention team at 800-951-5111.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The chat service is awesome. It helps you manage your system very easily. It’s probably the lower cost option and you get great equipment and great service via chat. I have been with Protect America for 7 years now and it has been great. Just renewed for another 3 years.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Jorge was awesome, had wonderful customer service skills & was able to help me out with getting a new system. I would highly recommended them to any person just starting out with credit to go with this company, I got my system for nothing down but first months bill.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My now ex-wife and I bought my alarm system in August 2015 and have had generally a good experience, until I decided to cancel the service in July 2018. I wanted to make sure that I gave plenty of notice so they couldn’t say I didn’t give 30 days notice. I had to cancel because my house is being sold due to bankruptcy. I am writing this on August 20th 2018 and my system has been disconnected since the beginning of the month. I have called and written multiple emails telling of my intent to cancel and they tell me the only way for me to cancel is to complete their online forms which requires a credit card/debit card which I no longer have because of the bankruptcy.

This online form requires a payment before it will let you continue. I spoke with a few customer service reps that tried to offer me a reduced rate of $9.99 per month for 6 months if I signed up for another year long contract. I explained to them I wouldn’t have a house to set up the alarm system at and they sent me the link again. I let them know I could not complete the link online and they have sent me an email almost every day with the same link attached. I figured I would make Consumer Affairs my first stop so everyone is well aware of the games before they sign a long term contract they can’t get out of.

Dear William,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that we have reached a resolution with you.

Please email the requested information to the email address provided to you.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I was looking for a Security company and I looked high and low for a reputable company with a good rating. Out of all the Security companies, I found Protect America who had a higher rating than the other companies. I applied online and was notified immediately by Juan the sales rep. The other company said notify within 24 hours. Well, too late you all have my business. Thanks to Juan for making it happen today.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The representative Shaniqua ** went above and beyond to earn and keep my business as a customer. I wish there were more representatives like her in every company. I felt valued and respected as a customer of 5 years straight.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We signed up with Protect America and 3 months into the use of equipment. We had trouble with the base unit and were told we need a new antenna and to install it on a window due to home phone interference. We installed new antenna and for the next couple of months. It worked fine. Then we started getting false alarm on our bedroom window sensor. The police were at the home numerous times and we called in for technical help was told by their tech to reverse the window sensors as that was the problem so we tried that. Same issues. Called in again we were very fed up at this point. We were told to send the equipment back which I did and paid 28.89 for shipping it back after they sent a label.

Now we're being harassed every week and there stating we owe 175.00 in back service monitoring fees (We don't even have the equipment anymore. We were told to send it back which we did). This company is a big scam and rip off. They keep saying to call and talk about it, but getting the same old run around. Next we are going to seek legal counsel and pursue legal action against them. OUR ADVICE RUN AWAY!!! As quick as possible or they will hook you too!!!

Dear Roger:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us and ask that you please contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111 to allow us the opportunity to discuss your experience.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My parents signed up for this service in 2009 and paid "monitoring" fees near $50/month. In 2016, they moved to VOIP and Protect America roped them into another FOUR YEAR contract for an additional $1400 in "free" new equipment. With the rates being too much to sustain with rising medical bills and stagnant social security benefits, Protect America re-negotiated in 1/2018 to lower the monitoring rate. This was done by roping them into another FOUR YEAR contract with no new equipment, that could only be canceled by returning equipment they did not receive within 3 days of the signing the contract. They paid $1118.76 on these two contracts until health and expenses forced them to give up their home and move in with relatives.

Protect America provided no new equipment in 2018, but is demanding my elderly parents spend $1832.52 to "reduce payments" on the 2016 contract or find some other schmuck to take over payments and the 2-year-old equipment for them. THEY HAVE NO HOME TO MONITOR, can't sell the equipment because of the exorbitant rates, and yet this scumbag company is demanding they continue paying for monitoring services they cannot possibly receive. The simple answer is to accept a return of the unused equipment from 2016 (that they've receive almost $1100 toward) and cancel the contract rather than publicly scam elderly, retired people who have no home to monitor.

Dear Tammy,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your parent's recent experience with us.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111, so we can address your questions and/or concerns in this matter.

Original review: July 23, 2018

From sales to customer service, this company rocks! The sales rep wasn't pushy, but made sure I understood everything before finalizing the agreement. And the installation service rep went above and beyond in assisting us throughout the installation and activation process. Even when we had to call in for guidance after the installation, the service reps made us feel like we really mattered to them. The whole team made this the most pleasant and stress-free experience I think I've ever had.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Ms. C. **, exceeded our expectations. She was very classy, professional and personal. Ms. ** continued to remind my wife and me that she was a security consultant and not a salesperson and that’s exactly how we felt. We did not feel rushed, but that she had our family safety as the primary factor. She was very patience with us. There were several times we would place her on hold to discuss a matter, ask her another question, and caucus again and she remained patience. We asked a technical question, she took the time to go ask a technician, apologized for the two (2) minute wait, and provided an appropriate and sufficient response. Ms. ** continued to welcome us to the Protect America family and sent us a personal email thanking us. We don’t have buyer’s remorse, but feel that out of all the options we explored Protect America is the best of the best solution.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Appreciate Kindness, patience and customer service provided by Martha ** and George ** to renew my Protect America home security contract, I was looking out for new service provider, but after I talk to Martha **, I changed my mind and switched back to Protect America, because of excellent customer service provided by them.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I am a customer for about 7+ years. I thought of upgrading my system and called them and I got the upgrade as per my request. I will be receiving my new indoor Security Cameras next week. The representative was very kind and helpful. I will definitely recommend Protect America to my Friends.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Mr. Errol ** was very nice and knowledgeable about your product. Excellent Employee. Better keep this employee. Enjoyed talking to him, because he is also a Dallas Cowboy Fan. I am a die heart fan also. Very nice Gentlemen and glad to deal with him.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Derick 100% perfect customer service. Helped with all explanations and questions with no pressure or hurry. Highly recommend. Looking forward to using this company as my security provider. I'm a pretty low key customer with little demands and I feel that Protect America was the right choice for me. Keep it up!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Shaniqua ** helped me; she was great... such a pleasure. Received a call from the company about my cameras being filled and needing to either delete or archive the information... I didn't know how to handle it even though I went online and looked... So I called customer service and Shaniqua handle the problem. Everything was handled and I'm very happy.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Jenny was very helpful and patient working thru my issue. When I was unable to change my username she took care of it for me. She found a few issues with my account and cleaned them up too. The biggest thing that I appreciated most was verifying my information since I was dealing with stolen information when someone broke into my car in the city.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Great Experience. Came back to Protect America!!! Think they're the best. Salesman was super helpful to suggest things for my business and home. Price is great, saving over $100 just at my business and of course saving for my home too.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Returning Customer from out of state move - Billy ** did a great job helping us set up our new system in AZ. He is very knowledgeable and made the whole experience fun. Please copy this to his employee file. He is a valued employee in my eyes. Thank Billy for us!!! Highly recommended.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was provided with an outstanding experience today when I called in to get information on buying a new system. I spoke with Andrew **, and so happy I did! He was kind, patient and spent time picking out a perfect system to not only fit my needs but help me feel confident in the system and company. He also spent a good amount of time on the phone walking me through the process of the system installation and helped me navigate to a package which suited me. Great experience, happy to have gotten him! Thank you!!!

Original review: May 29, 2018

Upon my seeking a rather simple security system for a vacant home I'm selling I selected Protect America (PA) who, as it turns out, makes claims it can't back up, and gave outright false information over the phone. Their phone agents stated it was simple to install (just a few minutes 5-10)... Could be quickly installed by a homeowner. I explained I was several hundred miles away and couldn't be there... PA stated, "No problem. We have local installers you can contract with to properly complete the job." I arranged for the system to be sent to my neighbor (next to my vacant house) who would coordinate arrangements with a local installer.

The system arrived, the enclosed manuals indicated it was more complicated than described, there were no installers in my home's region that would install PA equipment, and upon trying to send the equipment back to PA unused (a provision they stated up front)... when that time came PA changed the return date and wouldn't accept return. Now they're harassing for payment rather than accepting their equipment back (still in its original boxes unopened). Keep away from PA, their sales hype, and their false information.

Dear Gary,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that we made several attempts in reaching a resolution with you. We ask that you contact our Customer Service team to allow us the opportunity to address your concerns at 800-951-5111.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Tiffanie ** is just THE best customer service rep I have spoken with in a LONG time, ANYWHERE! My call was regarding info gathering to see what my next move was going to be. But Tiffanie was so AWESOME that she made it SO easy for me to remain a customer for another 4 years. She gave me options I'm sure she didn't even have to mention but she did. Tiffanie and Protect America made me feel like a very important person and that hit me like a ton of bricks (in a good way!) I'm still speechless. If Tiffanie sees this, thank you Tiffanie. Thank you very much! And Protect America, thank you for thanking loyal customers and for being based out of good ol' Texas! Tiffanie deserves a raise!! Thanks again!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been a customer since 2007, I have had continuous problems with the equipment. I even spent $250 on a glass break alarm and I have never been so discouraged with a product. I even went and got some glasses and put them into a bag and broke them all up. The alarm never went off. I am now moving into a senior center in Pennsylvania. I have 8 months left of my account, I never signed a contract in the first place so they are lying about that. They sent me a form showing that I checked the boxes and it signed for me. That I know that I never have done that before. When I asked them for the dates as the form had no dates they took about 5 minutes to tell me.

This company lies and cheats the customers. I would never even give the rating of a 1 but I did want to check a box so that it appears that I put something down, rather than leaving it blank, I went to the BBB in Austin, Texas and found that their rating was a "C-". I don't know how they ever got that rating. Please if you read this do not enter into a contract with this company and understand that even if you do not sign another contract you must call the specific day that the contract ends or they will tell you, "Sorry you did not enter the correct procedure to cancel the service." Then they will offer you anything but never say that when you accept something from them that you just signed another contract for 3 years. I am telling you that you need to hire a security company to protect you from the theft that will take place from Protect America.

I am moving to a senior living facility in PA. I am now faxing the material to them and praying that they will accept it but I do not believe that they can be trusted with anything. All that they are interested in is getting your monthly payment. That is all, believe me. Do not join or even give them any information over the phone such as your address or your credit card numbers or you have then become a member and then try to stop the payments and get them to stop taking the payments. I called my bank and stopped payments and they are still threatening me with ruining my credit rating if I do not come up with $1896 at $32.95 a month that is a lot more than the 8 months remaining in the contract.

Dear Lawrence,
We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that we have made several attempts in reaching a resolution with you. We ask that you contact our Customer Service team to allow us the opportunity to address your concerns.

Contact us at (800) 951-5111

Original review: May 21, 2018

I got the service in Virginia in 2013. Loved it. Worked great. After my father in law passed we moved the service to South Carolina where it no longer worked. Multiple false alarms, sending our police to the home constantly. I called them at one point because the box would not allow me to turn the false alarm off and they refused to give me the code number, so I cancelled and returned the equipment in 2015. Never heard from them again. Come Dec 2017 I get a letter saying I have a $50 balance unpaid and to call to get back on track. I call and tell them I had cancelled 2 years prior. They inform me that someone named "Samuel" had been paying the bill and they stopped and I needed to continue paying.

I asked them how long it had been since they got the equipment back and I had service in my home and they said it had been a looooooong time, but I don't remember them giving me a date. They sent me a link to cancel, but I had to pay to do this. Now they have sent me to collections who is threatening to take "more than 100 points off of my credit score." Reported them to Consumer Protection for SC. Now they are claiming that no Samuel ever paid and that I called multiple times over false alarms and told them not to dispatch police but make no mention that I cancelled and returned the equipment two years prior. They just keep telling me to contact the collection agency. We were planning on using the service again when we move in three years, but after this, I will tell everyone I can to stay away so that they don't have to deal with this nightmare.

Dear Miranda,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that your account cancelled with us on 3/31/18. We ask that Mrs. Barker contact Hillcrest Davidson & Associates at 866-524-9866 in resolving this matter.

Customer Protection

Original review: May 16, 2018

What I found with this company, if you are signing up they will stay with you on the phone and get you to sign up, if you have an issue you are put on hold many times. Last year late in fall I went to cancel my agreement after 3 years or more and I kept getting the run around reducing my payment by a couple of dollars till they put me to a manager which I shouldn't but did reduce from $54.95 to 9.99 to keep us for several more months. When it went back up I called to cancel on 3/9/18, they said I needed a written cancellation which I did by electronic, paid everything up and then I started getting e-mails and then a letter in mail that I owed another month for April.

This should be a crime to have to pay an extra billing month just because you canceled I would understand to pay off month you started. I told Manager Jessie on 5/15/18 that I would not recommend this company to anyone I know and that I will file a complaint about this issue. Looking at some of the other complaints in your reviews there are others that think the same way. I have canceled out with cable company's several times and they cancel at end of that month not another 30 days. As I said this is a crime to me. I would push not to make last payment but it would cost me more than what it is worth so they will get the last from me and also at end of phone conversation they continued with we can give me better rates when I decide to resign up. Hopeful others will read some of these before they sign up.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I called and canceled Protect America in March 2018. They continued to take $31.99 out of my checking account in April and May. I was told I did not answer their email. The only email I received was another contract to sign up with their company again. They are thieves and stole my money. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Dear Toni,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us and at this time your account is set to cancel on 6/30/18 with a zero balance. Feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional questions or concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: May 4, 2018

We have had Protect America for almost 3 years. The system has never worked properly. We spent many hours during the first 6 months of service trying to get it fixed, without success. We tried to cancel the service based on poor performance, but Protect America said we'd be charged for the full term of the 3 year contract. Now that the service term is almost up, they are making it hard to discontinue service. Their chat line could not provide information on the process for cancellation, nor could their customer service line. I was finally transferred to a rep who made me pry the answer out of her. She said I needed to provide 30 days written notice, but I would need to pay for service for another 3 weeks beyond the 3 year period (through the end of June). This company is not reputable.

Dear Doris:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that the final month was waived and your account is set to cancel on 6/30/2018 with a 0 balance.

Please feel free to contact Customer Protection at phone number: 1(800) 951-5111.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2018

When contract was expiring I called representative to say I was not renewing and asked if I needed to call again at actual deadline approximately in 2 weeks and was told, "No. Not necessary." They would take care of it. However it was Not taken care of & I was charged again. Credit card company began to bounce payments and calls from Protect America saying I owed because was not cancelled properly however NO ONE in phone conversation bothered to tell me this on initial phone call. They want $135 dollars & threaten to go against my credit which is excellent.

Dear Linda,

At this time we are going to acknowledge your correspondence as the written cancel notice but the past due balance will remain open and we request that you make that final payment. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with Protect America and their staff. They helped give me a great rate and all the equipment I needed without being pushy or fear-mongering. I had no opinion about security companies before I talked to Protect America, but now I’ll definitely be using them in the future!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I just got off the phone with Lisa ** after researching your company and she was an amazing sales representative. I explained to her how I was witness to a break in across the street this morning and she made me feel more secure with just her confidence with your product. She was very insightful, kind, caring and helpful throughout the whole process. She got me set up today with some great deals which seem very reasonably priced. There needs to be more people like her in customer service and sales! I will be recommending your company to people.

Protect America expert review by Erin Raub

Get do-it-yourself home security and automation with 3 different packages for $19.99-$42.99 a month. Systems have a lifetime warranty on 3-year contracts and come with free moving kits.

• Free system: Protect America gets you started with a free, basic equipment package when you sign up for a monitoring plan. Consumers can upgrade equipment for an additional fee.

• Low monthly fee: Protect America offers one of the cheapest security plans available with options starting around $20 a month for basic equipment and monitoring via landline.

• Two-way voice system: Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem – and enables you to instantly call out for help, if required.

• Equipment guarantee: Protect America’s equipment is guaranteed for three years. The company doesn’t charge an insurance fee for this protection.

• Installation: Protect America offers phone support for your DIY installation.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protect America Company Information