Consumer Reviews and Complaints

14%
  • 3 stars18
  • 2 stars5
  • 1 stars12

Founded in 1992, Protect America offers home alarm systems. Protect America has provided residential security systems to more than half a million American families.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 14, 2016

Courtney with Protect America has taken the time to contact me multiple times to resolve our situation. There was initially a misunderstanding in timelines of our contract. Protect America (Courtney) has gone above and beyond to make sure that we are satisfied customers. We greatly appreciate her help in understanding our contract and gladly recommend this company for home security needs. It is not often that a company moves mountains to solve an issue with their customers. Protect America has provided unsurpassed customer service with the help of Courtney.

Jayme,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are very concerned to hear about your experience! It is critical to us to reconnect and review the details of your account together. We would like to ensure that all parties clearly understand the details and timeline of the life of your account. We were unable to reach you at both of your contact numbers today. Please email us at WeCare@protectamerica.com to set up the best time to speak over the phone. Thank you for your time and we look forward to speaking with you soon!

Best regards,

Customer Advocate Team

Update: We are so glad to have been able to create a positive resolution! It's been a pleasure working with you! Although we hate to see you go, we are glad to have fully resolved the closing of your account.

Original review: July 5, 2016

Attempt #3 to resolve - last attempt: We called over a year ago to cancel our services since we removed all related equipment and no longer used Protect America services. We were told that we couldn’t cancel due to our ORIGINAL contract until 6/1/2016. Believing this information to be true we continued paying for the services monthly. During this conversation in 2015 I asked that the account NOT be renewed once the contract ended. During this conversation I was promised the contract would not renew and that nothing further was needed from me to ensure that renewal would not take place. This morning (7/5/2016) another month was charged.

Livid about the new charge, I called and was placed on hold for 1 hour 13 minutes. Courtney, the cancellation department manager, picked up my call and stated that we could have cancelled the contract in 2015 but it was automatically placed into a one-year renewal. Courtney stated that a 30-day written notice must be received to cancel. I immediately sent her an email as the written notice and confirmed receipt of notice while still on the phone with her. She stated that we could not be refunded the payment that was just deducted but that she would make certain the August payment does not come out of our account. Courtney was polite and professional about our situation but stated that she could not backdate any prior service charges. I appreciated her candor and assistance but realized her hands were tied with any further assistance due to protocol.

During the conversation with Courtney, I learned that in prior conversations with Protect America representatives I should have been informed of the 30-day written notice and that I was under a new contract every year. I was not informed of these things when I called in over a year ago. What I was told was that my ORIGINAL agreement from 2012 still had a balance and that I would have to pay a large upfront sum or carry out the monthly payments until the contract ended, which I was informed would not end until 6/1/2016. These actions have resulted in misrepresentation with intent to carry on services which are not desired or utilized. Extending a contract without consent while having knowledge of the wish to cancel, along with misrepresenting the terms is fraud.

$50.99 x 13 months = $662.87 is to be promptly refunded to our account. Under Consumer Protection Laws: “A buyer has a legal right cancel a contract if his or her consent to it was obtained by the seller's fraud or other material misrepresentation (Civ. Code § 1689.6).” “Court has power to refuse to enforce. A court has the power to refuse to enforce a contract or a clause in a contract that is unconscionable when made (Civ. Code § 1670.5(a)).”

Protect America

Wow! We take pride in our Customer Service and are ecstatic to know that Taylor is the perfect reflection of that! Thank you for choosing to stay with us; it is great to have you part of the Protect America family! Have a wonderful day!

Original review: June 21, 2016

You should compare all of your Reps to Taylor **. I have been with PA for about 8 years and have spoken to many people over the years. I can say Taylor ** is the best you have by far. She is the best rep I have ever worked with including managers (not sure if she is a manager but she should be). I have been out of contract for years and because of her you now have me locked in for 3 years. Not only is she knowledgeable and friendly she does what she says. She makes herself available and made me feel as if I was your only customers. I was a district manager for 20+ years and I would have done anything to have someone of her professionalism, she far exceeded my expectations. You should use her as your hiring model for all your future onboarding. Please thank her from me for her outstanding service!!

Protect America

Wow! We take pride in our customer service and are absolutely delighted to hear your experience with us has been the best! It's so awesome that you enjoy your system and those remote interactive services too! Thank you for sharing your comments Robby and for choosing Protect America! Have a fantastic day!

Original review: June 16, 2016

Protect America has been a very effective solution for us so far. I bought Protect America's security system because of the remote access capabilities, ease of set up and low upfront cost. We got them with our rental property and primary residence. The sales reps and installation people have always been great. Protect America has the best customer service I've experienced. They were attentive and responsive to my questions and any issues.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protect America's pricing as well as the reviews online were good. The sales reps gave me all the details about the pricing and how the system works. I installed the system myself and it was easy to get through. I have it for about seven months now and overall I'm satisfied with it.

Jenny was able to quickly and efficiently help me with my concerns. She is an excellent agent and deserves praise.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protect America Home Security was already installed in the house that we purchased. Their representatives answered all my questions and handled everything. They've been very helpful whenever there's been an issue and been there to help very quickly.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a security system but was looking for the video portion. I liked Protect America’s and that's why I decided to switch. It was easy to install. I called and they walked me through it very nicely.

Protect America

That can definitely be nerve wrecking in a new home! We are excited to hear that Jenny was so helpful! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us Jonathan. Enjoy your day!

Original review: July 20, 2016

My alarm system went off while I was in the shower, we just bought the house and didn't get to set up the alarm we inherited yet. We used live chat after the phone didn't solve issues. Jenny was very helpful and knowledgeable about the system. She helped us a lot and we thank her.

Protect America

We're so glad to see that your system is making you feel safer and that you are enjoying those interactive features! We appreciate your feedback Jay, have an awesome day!

Original review: July 19, 2016

With my wife's different working hours, I decided it was time to install a home security system. Protect America has competitive pricing and I like what they offered as far as the different sensors. I like the alerts from the apps and that’s a plus. I know when it's armed and disarmed, when my wife does it and if it goes off.

Protect America

Number one is where we aim to be! It is great to know that you like the price of and that you had such an easy installation. We thank you for your feedback and for choosing Protect America. Have a great day!

Original review: July 18, 2016

I bought a house and looked online for home security companies. Protect America was ranked number one and I liked their price so it was the best choice for me. Their rep was good. I didn’t really know my closing date and they were really helpful with pushing the days back, as far as me not being ready to set the system up. When I finally went to set it up, I did it with their rep on the phone and it was way easier than I thought.

When I started looking at Protect America I was looking for a replacement for Vivint. I am glad that I chose to stay with Vivint and you will see why. I ordered service from Protect America on 06/07/2016 at around 10PM CST. A person named Erik ** assured me that everything that he was sending me was exactly the same equipment as what I had with Vivint. That was definitely not the case. I was also assured that if I cancelled within X amount of days I would get a full refund of my money. Again, that was not the case. When I received my equipment from Protect America I opened it up and found stick on sensors, which would perish in our 110% humidity, and a panel that was almost smaller than my smartphone. That definitely is not the same quality of equipment that I get with Vivint.

When I opened the box and saw what Protect America had sent me my decision was a no-brainer: return the equipment and cancel the contract. This all took place on 07/09/2016 by the way. I was well within the ROR time frame. I contacted Protect America and waited about 30 minutes on hold to speak to a representative named Simone (not exactly sure if this spelling is correct) and I told her that I would like invoke my ROR and send their equipment back. She asked for a reason. I told her that I did not have to state a reason. She persisted and I finally told her that the equipment that I received from Protect America was not up to my standards.

At that point she actually had the nerve to raise her voice at me and actually yell into the phone. I could understand someone doing that if I was being cross or disrespectful but that was not the case. As a matter of fact I would like to hear the call recording if there is one because I kept a level tone during the entire conversation. I finally received the information that I needed from her in order to send the equipment back. I went that night and sent it back via UPS at my own expense and notified them of the tracking number.

I kept an eye on my credit card account for a full refund. I received a partial refund on 06/16/2016. They did not refund $79.00. When I saw this I called Protect America to inquire why this had happened. They told me that this happened because I had been charged a restocking fee for the equipment and that it was in the contract that I signed. It may have been but I will never know because that was on the week of 07/04/2016 and I was told that I would be receiving an email with the copies of the contract that I signed.

I would have to say that the experience that I have had with Protect America has been one of the worst consumer experiences of my life. I do not write reviews a lot, but I feel like if someone reads this and it helps them make a better choice with a purchase they are about to make, that my $79.00+shipping did not completely go to waste. Out of all of the times that I have been on the phone with different representatives I have never been so thoroughly disrespected as I was with Protect America's customer service reps. They have effectively lied, stolen, and disrespected me. I am sorry this has been a little lengthy but I hope that it will help someone make the right decision! Consumer beware!

Protect America

It's great to know you had an easy installation. Thank you for choosing Protect America, have a great day!

Original review: July 17, 2016

I saw that Protect America's home security system was at the top of the scale and got them as the other company I had wasn't following through with the right stuff so I threw them out. Everybody worked out alright with me. They walked me through the installation and it was very easy.

Protect America

It is always great to know that our Agents are providing the service you deserve. Thank you for allowing us to continue to provide you safety and peace of mind each and every day!

Original review: July 16, 2016

I’m home by myself so I decided to get a security system. I’ve had Protect America for five months now. The representatives I spoke with when I initially called and signed up were really good. My son who works for a security company installed the system so it was easy.

Protect America

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and for allowing us to continue to protect your business. Have an awesome day!

Original review: July 15, 2016

I was unprotected at my shop. I purchased Protect America's system and it has been a good experience. I did the installation myself and it was easy. I also had no problems with their customer service reps.

Protect America

It's great to hear that our Billing Team was able to accommodate your needs! We definitely appreciate your feedback! Thank you so much for allowing us to protect your home and family. Enjoy your day!

Original review: July 14, 2016

When we moved to a new location, we decided to get a security system and got one from Protect America. It was self-installation and they gave me a quote price of $41.99 after taxes. The sales rep was very informative and detailed about a lot of stuff. My wife misplaced her bank card and it was the same week when we had to make our payment for our bills for the month. They said that they would be able to delay the payment and we can call them up whenever we had our cards in. I wish that one day that they would lower the rate. It's for people who don't really want to have a house phone and will still be able to get the basic rates.

Protect America

Our Sales Agents are great at providing the best service you deserve! Thank you for allowing us to protect your home and family. Have a fantastic day!

Original review: July 13, 2016

I just bought a new home and got window motion sensors from Protect America. The sales rep helped me out through the whole process. It was a good experience. I did the installation myself and it was easy.

Protect America

Outstanding and professional service is what we love to hear! We are so glad Jason is a great reflection of that! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback and for choosing Protect America. Enjoy your day!

Original review: July 12, 2016

I want to thank Jason for his outstanding and very professional service today when I signed up for your security system. I also thought the process itself was excellent and gives me great confidence that I have chosen a great company.

Protect America

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your wireless system with all of it's features! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us Loren! Have a wonderful day!

Original review: July 12, 2016

We already had a security system that came with the house. We wanted to update it and Protect America offered a really good price for everything we wanted. I like that their system is wireless. I also like that they had a glass breakage protection so that my dog can roam freely around the house and we won’t have to worry about her setting off the motion detector. It's been a great experience with Protect America.

Protect America

We appreciate the recommendation and are happy to know that the installation was very easy! Thank you for choosing Protect America. Enjoy your day!

Original review: July 11, 2016

My son recommended Protect America. And because my mother was always home, I decided to purchase the security system. The sales rep has been great and installing the system by ourselves has been very easy.

Protect America

We love to help our customers save and are excited to hear that our price is the best around! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us and for choosing Protect America. Have a great day!

Original review: July 10, 2016

I've been with Protect America for four months and everything's good so far. Their initial cost was the the best around. I got their security system and though it was self-installed, they talked me through the installation.

Protect America

It's great to hear that the wireless setup was that easy! Thank you so much for your feedback Lisa. Have an awesome day!

Original review: July 9, 2016

There have been some issues in our area so we installed a Protect America security system. I did it myself and it was fairly easy.

Protect America

It's great to hear that everything is working exactly how you need it to and that our team provides all support in a friendly manner! We are so glad to be there for you! Have an awesome day!

Original review: July 8, 2016

Protect America was one of the top companies when I googled for some ratings. Their rep was good even when I called back and had questions while I was installing. I had to figure out how to mount it on the wall next to the door that I use most of the time and my brother told me how to do it. Nonetheless, their reps were very courteous and they represented Protect America real good. I would recommend them to a friend. They have a pretty good system.

Protect America

We are terribly sorry to hear about that! Your satisfaction is very important to us. Please contact at wecare@protectamerica.com if you are experiencing any issues at any time and we will be happy to set up an appointment for a callback. Thank you for sharing your comments with us Janice and for recommending Protect America! Have an awesome day!

Original review: July 7, 2016

I have Protect America's security system and though I haven't been using it since we've been staying home, it works fine. I called once to ask about the camera but it was too expensive. I could've paid for it but they would add it to the monthly payment and I didn't want that. Then the motion detector fell so I had to go out and get something to make sure that the device stays up. Nevertheless, I would recommend Protect America to a friend.

Protect America

We definitely understand that the installation can be a little intimidating but are glad that it all worked out. We are also excited to hear that you enjoy the price and value of your security system! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments! Have a great day!

Original review: July 7, 2016

My mother only lives in the house part-time and for us to have a better sense of security, we got Protect America's security system installed. The sales rep was good, however, the installation process could have gone better. It's self-install and it's a bit difficult to do for the middle-aged to the elderly since we weren't born with computers and those electronic devices like today's generation. Other than that, once they got all of the kinks ironed out, everything worked fine and I'm pleased with it. Also, the price is extremely good. That's one of the good things. That is a value in itself to have the less expensive monitoring and yet have just the same security that you get with more expensive companies. I like that.

Protect America

Thank you so much for your feedback and for choosing Protect America! Have an awesome day!

Original review: July 6, 2016

We got the home security service from Protect America as part of an AT&T bundle package, and the only reason why we got it is because they bundled it in when we got our phone. The sales rep was very knowledgeable when we hooked it up. But we never set the system, even if it's on. Nevertheless, we like it because if we're in the house and the door opens, we hear it say, "Front door is open" or "Back door is open." We're satisfied with it.

Protect America

Oh no! We are so sorry to hear that your home was broken into, that is certainly unnerving! We thank you so much for choosing Protect America to give you the peace of mind you deserve! Have a wonderful day!

Original review: July 6, 2016

Somebody broke in my house and so I purchased a home security. Everything’s going good. The Protect America sales rep was great.

Protect America

Welcome to the Protect America family Elliot! We are really glad that you chose us to protect your home and family! Thank you for sharing your comments with us, have a great day!

Original review: July 5, 2016

I'm really glad I decided to choose Protect America for my security purposes. The price beat a lot of the major competitors in my area and the customer service rep was great!

Protect America

We are so sorry to hear that! That must have been so frightening and stressful! Your security is our utmost priority and we appreciate the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you for your time and for being part of the Protect America family!

Original review: July 5, 2016

Someone broke into our house so we decided to install a security system. We liked that with Protect America, we could set it up ourselves, which was easy. The system is working well for us.

Protect America

Hi Michael! It's great to hear that the account setup was very easy and that the installation went smoothly. We aim to provide you with exactly what you deserve each and every time! Thank you for choosing Protect America to protect your home and family. Have an awesome day!

Original review: July 5, 2016

My wife and I bought a home that had a security system and we were looking at how to reactivate it. We didn’t want to go with a wired system because we both arrived here with cellphones and didn’t want to hook up a hardwired phone to save the security system. We went looking for a wireless one. I went online looking at who had good security systems and who had bad ones. Protect America was rated very highly as far as consumer protection. We used them to reactivate the system in the house. We didn’t want to go with a whole bunch of little sensors all over the windows and doors ‘cause the house is already wired for that. It was a very easy conversion.

I installed the system with a lot of phone connection time from the tech of Protect America. I’m a retired engineer so I’m very comfortable with electrical systems. I could see where a typical homeowner might get a little more apprehensive about doing something like what we did on the phone. But all things considered, it went very smoothly. We ran some tests and had a little bit of trouble debugging it, though. We switched over one more wire and everything came to life beautifully.

It was also so nice to be able to speak to people who were actually in the United States. Everybody I spoke with had that sort of Texas twang and they seemed like a good company. The reps were very good. One of the things we had to deal with was how to disconnect motion detectors ‘cause we have big dogs. We didn’t want them wandering around and be setting the alarm off all the time. The reps were very helpful in disabling and so we could disconnect those sensors. Everything else has been working fine. I have recommended Protect America.

Protect America

Thank you for sharing your comments with us Matthew! We enjoy providing the best price and services you need! Enjoy your day!

Original review: July 4, 2016

I'm out of the house a lot and I want to make it easier for the wife if I'm working out of town that's why I purchased a security system. I like that Protect America has a better price and that they're partnered with the USAA in every sense. Their rep was good and left me without having any questions on what was going on. Anytime I needed anything extra, Protect America was able to take care of it for me.

Protect America Company Profile