Call toll free
3.33/5
Based on 97 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

Protect America Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

2361 Protect America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 8, 2018

Ms. C. **, exceeded our expectations. She was very classy, professional and personal. Ms. ** continued to remind my wife and me that she was a security consultant and not a salesperson and that’s exactly how we felt. We did not feel rushed, but that she had our family safety as the primary factor. She was very patience with us. There were several times we would place her on hold to discuss a matter, ask her another question, and caucus again and she remained patience. We asked a technical question, she took the time to go ask a technician, apologized for the two (2) minute wait, and provided an appropriate and sufficient response. Ms. ** continued to welcome us to the Protect America family and sent us a personal email thanking us. We don’t have buyer’s remorse, but feel that out of all the options we explored Protect America is the best of the best solution.

Top 2361 Reviews and Complaints about Protect America

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 6, 2018

Appreciate Kindness, patience and customer service provided by Martha ** and George ** to renew my Protect America home security contract, I was looking out for new service provider, but after I talk to Martha **, I changed my mind and switched back to Protect America, because of excellent customer service provided by them.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I am a customer for about 7+ years. I thought of upgrading my system and called them and I got the upgrade as per my request. I will be receiving my new indoor Security Cameras next week. The representative was very kind and helpful. I will definitely recommend Protect America to my Friends.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Mr. Errol ** was very nice and knowledgeable about your product. Excellent Employee. Better keep this employee. Enjoyed talking to him, because he is also a Dallas Cowboy Fan. I am a die heart fan also. Very nice Gentlemen and glad to deal with him.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Derick 100% perfect customer service. Helped with all explanations and questions with no pressure or hurry. Highly recommend. Looking forward to using this company as my security provider. I'm a pretty low key customer with little demands and I feel that Protect America was the right choice for me. Keep it up!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: June 27, 2018

Shaniqua ** helped me; she was great... such a pleasure. Received a call from the company about my cameras being filled and needing to either delete or archive the information... I didn't know how to handle it even though I went online and looked... So I called customer service and Shaniqua handle the problem. Everything was handled and I'm very happy.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Jenny was very helpful and patient working thru my issue. When I was unable to change my username she took care of it for me. She found a few issues with my account and cleaned them up too. The biggest thing that I appreciated most was verifying my information since I was dealing with stolen information when someone broke into my car in the city.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Great Experience. Came back to Protect America!!! Think they're the best. Salesman was super helpful to suggest things for my business and home. Price is great, saving over $100 just at my business and of course saving for my home too.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Returning Customer from out of state move - Billy ** did a great job helping us set up our new system in AZ. He is very knowledgeable and made the whole experience fun. Please copy this to his employee file. He is a valued employee in my eyes. Thank Billy for us!!! Highly recommended.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was provided with an outstanding experience today when I called in to get information on buying a new system. I spoke with Andrew **, and so happy I did! He was kind, patient and spent time picking out a perfect system to not only fit my needs but help me feel confident in the system and company. He also spent a good amount of time on the phone walking me through the process of the system installation and helped me navigate to a package which suited me. Great experience, happy to have gotten him! Thank you!!!

Original review: May 29, 2018

Upon my seeking a rather simple security system for a vacant home I'm selling I selected Protect America (PA) who, as it turns out, makes claims it can't back up, and gave outright false information over the phone. Their phone agents stated it was simple to install (just a few minutes 5-10)... Could be quickly installed by a homeowner. I explained I was several hundred miles away and couldn't be there... PA stated, "No problem. We have local installers you can contract with to properly complete the job." I arranged for the system to be sent to my neighbor (next to my vacant house) who would coordinate arrangements with a local installer.

The system arrived, the enclosed manuals indicated it was more complicated than described, there were no installers in my home's region that would install PA equipment, and upon trying to send the equipment back to PA unused (a provision they stated up front)... when that time came PA changed the return date and wouldn't accept return. Now they're harassing for payment rather than accepting their equipment back (still in its original boxes unopened). Keep away from PA, their sales hype, and their false information.

Dear Gary,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that we made several attempts in reaching a resolution with you. We ask that you contact our Customer Service team to allow us the opportunity to address your concerns at 800-951-5111.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Tiffanie ** is just THE best customer service rep I have spoken with in a LONG time, ANYWHERE! My call was regarding info gathering to see what my next move was going to be. But Tiffanie was so AWESOME that she made it SO easy for me to remain a customer for another 4 years. She gave me options I'm sure she didn't even have to mention but she did. Tiffanie and Protect America made me feel like a very important person and that hit me like a ton of bricks (in a good way!) I'm still speechless. If Tiffanie sees this, thank you Tiffanie. Thank you very much! And Protect America, thank you for thanking loyal customers and for being based out of good ol' Texas! Tiffanie deserves a raise!! Thanks again!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been a customer since 2007, I have had continuous problems with the equipment. I even spent $250 on a glass break alarm and I have never been so discouraged with a product. I even went and got some glasses and put them into a bag and broke them all up. The alarm never went off. I am now moving into a senior center in Pennsylvania. I have 8 months left of my account, I never signed a contract in the first place so they are lying about that. They sent me a form showing that I checked the boxes and it signed for me. That I know that I never have done that before. When I asked them for the dates as the form had no dates they took about 5 minutes to tell me.

This company lies and cheats the customers. I would never even give the rating of a 1 but I did want to check a box so that it appears that I put something down, rather than leaving it blank, I went to the BBB in Austin, Texas and found that their rating was a "C-". I don't know how they ever got that rating. Please if you read this do not enter into a contract with this company and understand that even if you do not sign another contract you must call the specific day that the contract ends or they will tell you, "Sorry you did not enter the correct procedure to cancel the service." Then they will offer you anything but never say that when you accept something from them that you just signed another contract for 3 years. I am telling you that you need to hire a security company to protect you from the theft that will take place from Protect America.

I am moving to a senior living facility in PA. I am now faxing the material to them and praying that they will accept it but I do not believe that they can be trusted with anything. All that they are interested in is getting your monthly payment. That is all, believe me. Do not join or even give them any information over the phone such as your address or your credit card numbers or you have then become a member and then try to stop the payments and get them to stop taking the payments. I called my bank and stopped payments and they are still threatening me with ruining my credit rating if I do not come up with $1896 at $32.95 a month that is a lot more than the 8 months remaining in the contract.

Dear Lawrence,
We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that we have made several attempts in reaching a resolution with you. We ask that you contact our Customer Service team to allow us the opportunity to address your concerns.

Contact us at (800) 951-5111

Original review: May 21, 2018

I got the service in Virginia in 2013. Loved it. Worked great. After my father in law passed we moved the service to South Carolina where it no longer worked. Multiple false alarms, sending our police to the home constantly. I called them at one point because the box would not allow me to turn the false alarm off and they refused to give me the code number, so I cancelled and returned the equipment in 2015. Never heard from them again. Come Dec 2017 I get a letter saying I have a $50 balance unpaid and to call to get back on track. I call and tell them I had cancelled 2 years prior. They inform me that someone named "Samuel" had been paying the bill and they stopped and I needed to continue paying.

I asked them how long it had been since they got the equipment back and I had service in my home and they said it had been a looooooong time, but I don't remember them giving me a date. They sent me a link to cancel, but I had to pay to do this. Now they have sent me to collections who is threatening to take "more than 100 points off of my credit score." Reported them to Consumer Protection for SC. Now they are claiming that no Samuel ever paid and that I called multiple times over false alarms and told them not to dispatch police but make no mention that I cancelled and returned the equipment two years prior. They just keep telling me to contact the collection agency. We were planning on using the service again when we move in three years, but after this, I will tell everyone I can to stay away so that they don't have to deal with this nightmare.

Dear Miranda,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that your account cancelled with us on 3/31/18. We ask that Mrs. Barker contact Hillcrest Davidson & Associates at 866-524-9866 in resolving this matter.

Customer Protection

Original review: May 16, 2018

What I found with this company, if you are signing up they will stay with you on the phone and get you to sign up, if you have an issue you are put on hold many times. Last year late in fall I went to cancel my agreement after 3 years or more and I kept getting the run around reducing my payment by a couple of dollars till they put me to a manager which I shouldn't but did reduce from $54.95 to 9.99 to keep us for several more months. When it went back up I called to cancel on 3/9/18, they said I needed a written cancellation which I did by electronic, paid everything up and then I started getting e-mails and then a letter in mail that I owed another month for April.

This should be a crime to have to pay an extra billing month just because you canceled I would understand to pay off month you started. I told Manager Jessie on 5/15/18 that I would not recommend this company to anyone I know and that I will file a complaint about this issue. Looking at some of the other complaints in your reviews there are others that think the same way. I have canceled out with cable company's several times and they cancel at end of that month not another 30 days. As I said this is a crime to me. I would push not to make last payment but it would cost me more than what it is worth so they will get the last from me and also at end of phone conversation they continued with we can give me better rates when I decide to resign up. Hopeful others will read some of these before they sign up.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I called and canceled Protect America in March 2018. They continued to take $31.99 out of my checking account in April and May. I was told I did not answer their email. The only email I received was another contract to sign up with their company again. They are thieves and stole my money. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Dear Toni,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us and at this time your account is set to cancel on 6/30/18 with a zero balance. Feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Customer Protection

Original review: May 4, 2018

We have had Protect America for almost 3 years. The system has never worked properly. We spent many hours during the first 6 months of service trying to get it fixed, without success. We tried to cancel the service based on poor performance, but Protect America said we'd be charged for the full term of the 3 year contract. Now that the service term is almost up, they are making it hard to discontinue service. Their chat line could not provide information on the process for cancellation, nor could their customer service line. I was finally transferred to a rep who made me pry the answer out of her. She said I needed to provide 30 days written notice, but I would need to pay for service for another 3 weeks beyond the 3 year period (through the end of June). This company is not reputable.

Dear Doris:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that the final month was waived and your account is set to cancel on 6/30/2018 with a 0 balance.

Please feel free to contact Customer Protection at phone number: 1(800) 951-5111.

Customer Protection

Original review: May 3, 2018

When contract was expiring I called representative to say I was not renewing and asked if I needed to call again at actual deadline approximately in 2 weeks and was told, "No. Not necessary." They would take care of it. However it was Not taken care of & I was charged again. Credit card company began to bounce payments and calls from Protect America saying I owed because was not cancelled properly however NO ONE in phone conversation bothered to tell me this on initial phone call. They want $135 dollars & threaten to go against my credit which is excellent.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with Protect America and their staff. They helped give me a great rate and all the equipment I needed without being pushy or fear-mongering. I had no opinion about security companies before I talked to Protect America, but now I’ll definitely be using them in the future!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I just got off the phone with Lisa ** after researching your company and she was an amazing sales representative. I explained to her how I was witness to a break in across the street this morning and she made me feel more secure with just her confidence with your product. She was very insightful, kind, caring and helpful throughout the whole process. She got me set up today with some great deals which seem very reasonably priced. There needs to be more people like her in customer service and sales! I will be recommending your company to people.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Josh is a great salesman, I never once felt I was being oversold or felt pressured in any way. He had nothing but good advice and gave me the exact package I had already researched and did his best to give me the best deal possible. He also spoke highly of you and your company. Because of this experience I will highly recommend your company’s services to my friends and colleagues. Great job Josh???

Original review: April 14, 2018

The system itself is decent but service after the sale is a little iffy, I changed my router therefore it has required me to re-connect the cameras. I called into Protect America, (If I was a new install I think I would get immediate help because you have a grace period to return product but getting support after the grace period), well good luck with that. I was on hold for about 15 minutes. Finally got a tech that I believe was new or at least not highly experienced, she kept referring to the advanced technician. Anyway we got it rolling and in the middle of this support call I lost her, I waited for a callback and nothing. So after about 5 minutes I called back and I have been on hold now for 28 minutes and running.

I was supposed to be on the road hours ago with a 3 hour drive and can't leave until this is done. Once my contract is up I will be going with a company that services the system, meaning if you have problems they come out and fix it. At the moment I'm calling from a different line while on hold on my primary phone. Once again they passed me on to a different department where I'm on hold again with that line. The clock is still running on hold. No call back from the tech. INSANE! 52 minutes, still on hold.

Dear Ed,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us. Rest assured we are working diligently to set the proper expectations regarding the hold time. You also have the option to use our chat services at myprotecmaerica.com.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 12, 2018

I am completely satisfied with the customer service received today in addition to the contractual agreement through Protect America. I look forward to building a positive business relationship with such a reputable company. My customer service Inside Sales Rep, Devin **, was professional, courteous, patient and knowledgeable about the security offerings. He actually sold me on the security package because of how he handled the initial inquiry, follow through, and final process.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Save your money and time!! We used Protect America for 3 years and needed to change companies because of the cost. We called after the contract period to cancel and kept all alarm pieces. Then the next month we were called stating we didn't pay it. We explained the situation and were told we'd receive a letter in the mail for us to send a written cancellation letter. We never got it and a couple months later we were still charged and never received the letter. Now my husband and I are called FIVE OR MORE times a day at the point of harassment!! Worst company ever!! Save your money!!

Dear Victoria,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We apologize for your most recent experience.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111 should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I'm thanking you guys for taking care of me and my family because this area that I live in is so drug infested until it's pitiful. You guys have been keeping me safe for almost 20 years and since I renewed my contract again, please keeping on protecting me. I sold you guys about how protective your company is and so they're on board now, so again Thank You. I love you so much and take care of the good techs that helped me and they're Mattew ** and Tiffany **.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Protect America ("PA") looks and sounds good up front, but in the end they are con artists. I had an account with them which worked adequately. Over time however, it became apparent that there were cheaper options for the same or better quality service. Once my contract period was up, I switched to "Simply Safe," disconnecting all of my PA equipment. I waited for a few months to cancel PA to ensure that there were no issues, despite the fact that I no longer used their service.

Once I called PA to cancel, they informed me - quite rudely, that I had to go through a specific email process to cancel, AND that I would have to pay for another month of service regardless (despite my choice to already pay for a few months of redundant service that I wasn't even using). They claim that this is for "your own protection." "Your own protection" works differently for all other interactions though, as all you need to do normally is provide your account password on the phone. Once they are about to lose business, "your protection" really means a shake down for more money, and a more inconvenient procedure for the customer. As my account was on a credit card, they charged me anyway. I cancelled the service on the card, and again informed PA that I was cancelling. They again refused to process and then started sending me bills and threatening with collection services. They WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER DIME FROM ME!

Do yourself a favor: AVOID PROTECT AMERICA. They are a slimy quagmire of a company, overcharging you for "monthly service" (which requires someone to pick up a phone if an incident occurs, for $40+/mo). They will hide behind LIES of "for your protection" to try to squeeze every last dime from you, when there are other immediate and simpler forms of verification. There are plenty of other people who have had this experience, I can't believe that they are allowed to operate as plain sight thieves. Once they have you, they treat you beyond rudely on the phone, and simply read from their script. Getting a representative on the phone who can actually think seems impossible. Frustrating beyond belief!

Dear Mr. Joseph,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us but we are unable to locate an account using the information you've provided.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 4, 2018

This company is pure evil! Our home was made uninhabitable in late December because our propane tank pilot went out in a very cold period, pipes froze, the house flooded, and we had no water or heat. As our contract period had expired, and we had to find another place to live while restoration was being done, we attempted to cancel service with Protect America.

Real long story short- they continue to this day to bill us for service we do not need, want, and continue to unmercifully harass us with at least a dozen phone calls per day from their collectors calling from multiple states, flooding my email with emails. They’ve taken to badgering my wife now with the same frequency. We finally gave in and agreed to a compromise payment to end the horror story. They sent us a link to cancel, but only after paying another $49 fee because one must cancel 30 days ahead. Although we first attempted to cancel in January. I will not pay them another $49, so this hell will continue until I get some assistance from the Ohio Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, or our local news show that deals with these types of scoundrels, “On Your Side”. These ** should not be allowed to operate. This is a criminal organization.

Dear Mr. Hilt,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us but our records show that your account is set for cancellation at no additional cost to you.

Customer Protection

Original review: March 26, 2018

Deborah ** is an outstanding sales rep. She was able to assist with everything I needed to secure my Apartment. I was looking for a great security alarm with a camera and she found me the perfect setup. Thanks to her my place will be secured now.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They are the worst experience I have had as a consumer hands down. They offer a poor product and are not flexible at all in terms of consumer complaints. They were happy to take my money but when I was unhappy with the product itself and the service, there was 'nothing they can do'. When I finally was able to cancel my contract, they claim I didn't follow all the steps necessary to cancel and thus kept charging me for months when I was not receiving the service. They are the absolute worst. Stay far, far away from these scam artists. Plenty of other better options out there.

Updated on 05/09/2018: They now call several times per week trying to collect a balance I do not owe because I canceled my service (for the 2nd time). Harassment at its best with this Company.

Dear Andrew:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. We would like to apologize for your recent experience with us as we show that you recently spoke with our cancellation team to address your concerns. Your account is set to cancel on 4/30/18 with no further obligations to Protect America.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at (800) 951-5111, should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

Original review: March 18, 2018

Shawn ** was my salesmen and he was a complete gentleman. He went out of his way to show good customer support. I feel that there is a genuine interest to be customer service oriented which is really good. Makes you feel like you matter.

Protect America expert review by Erin Raub

Founded in 1992, Protect America is one of the largest security companies in the United States, offering home alarm systems in all 50 states. The company is dedicated to providing low-cost security systems that are highly customizable and easily portable.

• Free system: Protect America gets you started with a free, basic equipment package when you sign up for a monitoring plan. Consumers can upgrade equipment for an additional fee.

• Low monthly fee: Protect America offers one of the cheapest security plans available with options starting around $20 a month for basic equipment and monitoring via landline.

• Two-way voice system: Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem – and enables you to instantly call out for help, if required.

• Equipment guarantee: Protect America’s equipment is guaranteed for three years. The company doesn’t charge an insurance fee for this protection.

• Installation: Protect America offers phone support for your DIY installation.

• Best for: Homeowners, renters, DIYers and tech-savvy shoppers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protect America Company Information