Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.07/5
Based on 2,323 ratings
This company is out of businessFind other companies

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

With a renewed focus on Connected Home Security, we pride ourselves on intersecting home security and home automation to meet all your home protection needs. We have recently integrated with Alexa and expanded our state-of-the-art camera suite in addition to offering a price-match guarantee, locked-in rates, and no installation fees.

Contact us today to get $1,400 in free equipment and start protecting your loved ones.

BOTTOM LINE

Protect America has some of the most affordable home security packages on the market. Although their cancellation process could be better, setup is easy and reviews mention excellent customer service.

PROS
    • Economically priced basic system
    • Simple DIY installation
    • Low price guarantee
    CONS
    • Inconvenient cancellation process

Top Protect America Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

I've been a customer of Protect America for years and recently upgraded my system thru the online Chat. Great customer service! I have had a couple accidental activation over the years, too, and they respond very promptly. I'm confident that they'll be there if there's a real emergency.

The customer service was so easy to get real-time support, promptly, while lounging on my couch. I accessed the real-time support from an iOS app that I downloaded. The interface of the app is so simple to use - very intuitive. No documentation needed. Simple and effective.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Information from Protect America on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Protect America is fully committed to the safety and security of its employees and customers. Its security systems are custom-built using all precautionary measures and delivered straight to customers’ doors to minimize human interaction. During this challenging time, Protect America’s sales and customer support offices will operate from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. On weekends, the customer support team will be available from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. CST. Professional monitoring stations will continue to operate 24/7.

How does Protect America work?

Protect America offers simple, affordable home security systems with a straightforward DIY setup that takes less than an hour to complete. Using Protect America’s automation features, you can control settings throughout your home, like heating and cooling, lights, and powered window blinds. You don’t have to pay for equipment from Protect America, just the monthly monitoring fee.

Each Protect America home security system comes with free use of the Protect America app: SMART Connect. The app can arm and disarm the system, turn lights on and off, lock and unlock doors and stream video from security cameras.

Protect America cost

Protect America offers a low price guarantee, which is not at all common among home security companies. The cost for their Copper plan is already one of the lowest you will find anywhere for a good home security system. Protect America does not charge customers for the cost of equipment, just a monthly monitoring rate, which is another rarity.

PlanMonthly cost
      Copper$19.99
      Silver$37.99
      Platinum$42.99

Protect America plans and packages

Protect America offers three plans: Copper, Silver and Platinum. The Platinum package costs slightly more than the Silver plan, but provides 5 additional sensors. The Copper plan is likely best for those with smaller homes who don’t need tons of equipment. Every package with a Protect America yard sign and decals. See what comes with each package below:

Copper planSilver planPlatinum plan
      Copper plan3
      Silver plan9
      Platinum plan14

Protect America equipment

Once you’ve chosen your Protect America plan, you can purchase additional equipment to bolster your home’s security; such as, the Simon XTI control panel — a powerful device that can monitor and control up to 40 devices. You can also add the August Smart Lock Pro that allows you to unlock and lock doors, and the Linear Garage Door Controller controls your garage door remotely. With Z-Wave technology, you can manage all of these things plus your home's lighting under one network. Protect America’s system can also integrate with the Amazon Echo. Additional equipment from Protect America includes:

• Door and window sensors
      • Carbon monoxide detectors
      • Wireless cameras
      • Keypad locks

Protect America FAQ

How to cancel Protect America?
      As with most companies, Protect America cancellation is a bit of a process. You need to send a written letter to Protect America 60 days before you want to cancel. If you cancel within 30 days of beginning the contract, you won’t have to pay anything except for a $19.95 activation charge.
      What do reviews say about Protect America customer service?
      Protect America security reviews speak highly of the company’s customer service and mention quick technical help with friendly representatives. Protect America reviews in general rate the company well.

Is Protect America a good security system?

We give high marks to Protect America’s home security system. Their already low costs are bolstered by their price match guarantee. We also love their easy DIY setup. If you’re looking for an affordable security system with home automation features, Protect America is a great choice.

Protect America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: May 23, 2020

I had the longest installation experience however Daniel the representative made the experience very painless, accurate and very professional! He walked me through every inch of the installment and explained everything in detail. If I had to do this all over again it would be my pleasure to be serviced by Daniel. Keep up the great work.

Protect America response

Hi Latanya, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I called Protect America to upgrade my system today and received excellent customer service and professionalism from Calvin, who works in the Customer Resolutions Department. He was very helpful, solved all my issues and answered any question I had. Great Job.

Thank you!

Kevin L.

Hello Kevin:

We greatly appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Calvin.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I needed to switch from landline connection to WiFi. Dave at Protect America live chat hooked me up. He sent me what I needed and more. I have always had positive experiences calling or live chatting with them. Fast to answer and never put on hold. Nothing but positive for my household!

Protect America response

Hi Lorna, Thank you for being a valued Protect America family member. We're happy to hear about your positive experience! Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

I got a quote from this company but never signed up. I never received any equipment or hardware from them. Then a month after I got the quote, they send me letters for payment. When I tell them I never signed up with them, they sent me to collections for the total amount of a 2 or 3 year contract. I think it was about $30 per month, they charged me over $1,400. What a scam. Complete lack of morals. When I call to explain my situation, they tell me I signed a contract. To be honest, I think a roommate of mine might have signed a contract with them but I NEVER DID. I have told my story to several people who tell me to file a lawsuit. It's not about the amount of money, it's about the fact this is affecting my credit and who knows if they've done this to other people.

Original review: June 23, 2020

This was the worse company I have ever been with. They are rude and the system itself is horrible!! When I called to cancel because I was dissatisfied they got really disrespectful and basically tried to force me to keep the service! System never works, had a burglary and only reason I knew is because my neighbors called the police and myself! They heard the alarm going off but the company never called me or the police! Order at your own risk.

Original review: June 23, 2020

Protect America is a sham. They will do everything possible to prevent you from cancelling their service. We have written letters and called many times. When they know you want to cancel, they shuttle you off to wait interminably on hold until you can speak with an “account specialist”. They literally will keep you waiting For hours and then “accidentally” hang up. Learn from our mistake. This is a dishonest organization.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Don’t sign up with these people. My contract expires next month and they told me 6 months ago I couldn’t cancel until 1 month prior to my contract expiration. I am now within 1 month and have repeatedly tried to call them and when I tell them why I’m calling they transfer me to perma hold. I am now, as I write this, on perma hold again and this time it’s 25 minutes so far. Very shady company so don’t get involved with these people.

Protect America response

Hi Chris, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have about your account. Please reply with the name and address associated with your account and a member of our team will reach out to you once we verify your customer information.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I am one of thousands of customers who have given a 1 star rating for Protect America because they are using unethical business practices. There are so many issues, but to be succinct:

1. When I signed up, I made sure that I could move the alarm system to other properties during the 3 year contract. (I rehab houses and explained that to the sales person). When I went to do just that, they would not allow it and I had to make at least ten frustrating calls to finally get someone to be accountable and allow what I was promised when I signed up.

2. The box stopped working properly during the 3 year contract period and they would not fix it or exchange it - basically they told me I would have to buy a new one -

3. I went to cancel my services and there is no way to cancel online. There is also no way to access your credit card to edit that, or cancel that, the one they are charging every month - They have got you in their grip. When you call in to cancel, you have to pass through sales type people, even though you tell them you want to cancel your acct --- they do not tell you that they don't do that, until you tell them over and over again you don't have a lot of time and need to cancel the acct. Then they transfer to you to the cancellation department and guess what? No one picks up the phone! - I waited over an hour and got fed up and finally put my number in for a call back. No -one called back. I did this at least 8 times over the course of 6 weeks or so --- I also tried to email, no email to write to. So I tried the chat and no-one could help me there either --- you are trapped and have to call to cancel but they don't pick up the phone or call you back!!

Then when finally I called my bank to stop payment with them --- finally, I got through to someone to cancel my acct--- then they said I would have to pay for two months in order to cancel ---! What? -- They don't pick up the phone - and then they charge you for your time --- There needs to be a class action suit done against them. I am on it. Talking to lawyers tomorrow - Believe me, people have been screwed over worse than me when I started looking at the reviews --- but it's all just wrong. This is a manipulative and greedy company with terrible customer service and they should not be allowed to stay in business.

Original review: June 2, 2020

At signup time they are the nicest company but as soon as you want to cancel they are unavailable, deceiving with misinformation, uncooperative, and will give you the runaround. When I finally got them to send me an email with a link to cancel it was just a bill charging me almost 60 days in advance. Another representative told me to call on a specific date to easily cancel and when I did they told me it was too late to cancel for that month. I hardy ever got through on the phone line and they only called me back once. Obviously I’m very disappointed and stressed. I’ve sent their 2 headquarters letters of cancellation And emailed their CEO hoping it’s finally over. Terrible customer service.

Protect America response

Hi Joseph, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback and we’re more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have about your account. Please reply with the name and address associated with your account and a member of our team will reach out to you once we verify your customer information.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I was called by a telemarketer about a great security company. Taking a call from a telemarketer was my first mistake. It was Protect America. They took all my information. My address, my s.s, #, I know, stupid, and my bank information for me to qualify for their services. All seemed well, except that I never received a contract to sign. I waited a for the papers to sign, and nothing ever came.

So I called, and they said everything was good on my account. I never authorized them to deduct automatic payments from the account given. I gave them my husband's account information during the first phone call because I was in the middle of changing accounts at the time due to identity theft. So I received everything to set up the alarm, but no contract was sent still. I never paid monthly with the account they had on file, I paid from my own account. Well, one day we had a break in, and the alarm goes off, and I call their direct line for break-Ins, and when I called nobody was available to handle anything Hong. They were monitoring my home, they didn’t send out dispatch, nothing was done on their end.

So in 2018 I called and canceled their services right away. So then they say in order for me to cancel, I had to pay them $300 to end the contract. I said “hell no!” So they said I need to sign a contract by them, in order for me to cancel. I said I never even received a contract to sign, how are you gonna charge me without my real signature. I paid for devices I never received in the first place. As well as I’m not giving them my handwritten signature. Because they said I agreed electronically. I said “no I didn’t! I have been waiting to sign a contract but. I one ever sent me one.” They said that I have to pay them $300 to cancel cause it’s in my contract. I said no! Cancel this now!

So shortly thereafter I chose a better security company. This was in 2018. Well my husband had bad luck with identity theft on his account. So currently he changed his accounts. I receive an invoice from protect America, and I called and I informed them that I cancelled with them 2 years ago. My husband thought he was paying for the security company we currently have this whole time. Protect America took it upon themselves to continue to charge the account they had on file that they had no authorization to take from, and it’s not even in my name. I never agreed to anything with this company. Don’t do business with this shady company. I know you don’t know me, but this company is ran by thieves. They won’t return the money, and now I filed a police report against them. Horrible company. They are frauds.

Christopher:

We have received your response and feel that we have done everything in our power to address your concerns.

You are more than welcome to contact our billing team at 800-951-5111 to address any further concerns.

Sincerely,

Customer Protection

Protect America author review by Ben Mannes

Protect America’s home security and automation packages start at $19.99 a month and have a one-time $19.95 activation fee. Contract terms are typically 36 months, and a 60-day cancellation notice is required.

• Security equipment: All plans include a control panel hub, door and window sensors, a motion detector, a yard sign and door and window stickers. You can upgrade your equipment for an additional fee to add smart locks, a linear garage door controller with Z-Wave technology, smoke and flood sensors, wireless cameras, glass-break sensors, motion detectors and keypad locks.

• Security features: Use the SMART Connect home automation app to monitor activity and control your system from anywhere. Smart home automation features include HD video surveillance services, smoke and fire monitoring, smart door lock control, garage door control and smart lighting. Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem and lets you call for help instantly.

• Monitoring services: 24/7 monitoring starts at $19.99/month.

• Installation: Protect America offers phone support for DIY installation. The company charges a one-time $19.95 activation fee.

• Trial period: If you cancel within 30 days, you don't have to pay anything except the activation fee.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protect America Company Information