out of business
 4.1/5 (2324 ratings)

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

About Protect America

Founded in 1992, Protect America has provided award-winning, 24/7 monitoring and protection to over half a million American families for over 25 years.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Economically priced basic system
    • Simple DIY installation
    • Low price guarantee

Cons

• Inconvenient cancellation process

Bottom Line

Protect America has some of the most affordable home security packages on the market. Although their cancellation process could be better, setup is easy and reviews mention excellent customer service.

Protect America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect America?

Original review: May 8, 2020

We had a sudden and tragic loss in our family last summer. We alarmed this home to avoid vandalism. I'll say upfront, I erred in my understanding of the contract. In my grief and distress I agreed to 36 months. In December when the house sold, I agreed to move the system to our house. We were distraught over closing on my kids' childhood home. The account that direct deposit was pulled from was closed. I requested of PA to forgive the contract due to a death. Not only was I met with an obstinate attitude, not once did they say "sorry for your loss" or "I can see how you'd be distressed but..." You can not email or post on their social media. There's a form for the CEO, but no response. DO NOT USE PROTECT AMERICA. If they are this cold with a death, image how they handle a burglary. PLEASE KEEP SHOPPING.. there has to be better than this in our marketplace.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I needed to switch from landline connection to WiFi. Dave at Protect America live chat hooked me up. He sent me what I needed and more. I have always had positive experiences calling or live chatting with them. Fast to answer and never put on hold. Nothing but positive for my household!

Protect America response

Hi Lorna, Thank you for being a valued Protect America family member. We're happy to hear about your positive experience! Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I bought the security system and then Covid19 restrictions hit. Unable to go to my place of employment! I never opened the box much less did I install. They billed me for monitoring and the system wasn’t even activated! All they kept saying was you signed the contract!! I’ll never refer this company again! I wished they had never shopped me! Very draconian!!

Roderick:

Thank you for the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Although you have not installed your system, it is available to you. We have made several attempts in assisting you with the installation to no avail. Additionally, It appears we've had the opportunity to speak with you and lowered your monthly rate for 2 months. We ask that you please allow us the opportunity to assist with the installation of your alarm system.
    Please feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 27, 2020

Super pleased with your service tech Casey **. He helped me through the procedure and made the update a piece of cake. What more can I say, I am very happy with the way the update to my control panel went. A pretty complex joe made easy by the efforts of your service technician Casey **.

Protect America response

Hi Allan, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We’re happy to hear about your positive experience. Please let us know if we can help answer any other questions about your system.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I called for a quote and Jonathan ** read a script and then wouldn't listen when I told him I wanted to think about it. Standard slimy sales tactics. Very transparent and outdated. Nobody falls for this crap anymore. And they did me the favor of selling my new phone number so I've received 10 spam phone calls per day since. I wish I would have never called them.

Steven:

Thank you for your feedback and the opportunity to become better for you and other potential customers and for objectively considering our company. Please be advised that we have removed your phone number from our dialing system.

Please feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 15, 2020

I have been a Protect America customer for 3 years. I called to either suspend my contract or get a reduced rate because of COVID-19 (a lot of companies are helping loyal customers) and the sales woman told me she was not going to credit my account in addition to offering me a lower rate. She would do one or the other and had no reason for it. She said the discount would be a one time discount and only for May- not the previous two months we have been paying full price. She said if I wanted another discount I needed to call back "as May gets closer" and they will decide if/when they will help their customers. I will not forget this customer service. Big mistake to treat people like this during such a difficult time.

Melissa:

Thank you for your feedback and the opportunity to become better for you and other customers. Our records show that as a courtesy to you we've had the opportunity to lower your rate more than half for the month of May. Thank you for allowing us to assist you at this time and please feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional concerns.

Customer protection

Original review: April 13, 2020

Terrible, stay away. The worst I’ve ever done business with. Had to report them to the Better Business Bureau. Terrible equipment and terrible service. Was with them just under three years. Could not take it any longer.

Sean:

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns Our records show that July 24, 2014 we offered you the opportunity to return your equipment within the next 30 days and cancel with no penalty.
    We received your returned equipment on October 6, 2014, therefore your account remained open and accrued a past due balance which was turned over to a third party collections agency.
    At this time we ask that you please contact MGI at phone # 866-629-0653 regarding this account.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 3, 2020

I called and spoke with Benjamin today concerning problems with my security system. Benjamin went way above the normal way a customer service rep goes in completing and correcting my issues. I highly recommend Benjamin for promotion to a much higher level to which he deserves. He is by far the very best customer service rep I have ever used in my lifetime for sure. He took extreme time to correct and explain every detail of what he did to correct my system, By all means, promote Benjamin to a level where he can train others to be at least equal to his professional expertise.

William **

Hello William:

We greatly appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Benjamin.

Customer Protection

Original review: April 2, 2020

Shanae’s customer service was excellent and her social interactions (communication) was also excellent. It was a very positive and outstanding experience. Over the time that I’ve been a customer with Protect America this was the most outstanding customer service experience I’ve had.. Thank you????

Hello Millie:

We greatly appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Shanae.

Customer Protection

Original review: March 25, 2020

Benjamin F assisted me in replacing my main panel and my motion sensor, and then ran a complete test of my system. He was very professional and did an outstanding job leading me through the process. He demonstrated patience and was instrumental in assuring all of my sensors worked properly. I was extremely pleased with the whole process.

Ronnie:

We greatly appreciate the feedback regarding your experience and would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Benjamin.

Customer Protection

Original review: March 21, 2020

As a person living with mental illness I was greeted with a person that was very patient with me and I highly recommend this company. They were very patient with me and although I can't say you'll get the same representative I got I would imagine the company has more people like this! They gave very detailed information and sent me a quote of what exactly I needed to make me feel safe in my home. Although I haven't purchased yet I am pretty sure I am going to do so. I gave them 5+ stars for their customer service. Way to go !!!! Thanks Mike !!!! - A Happy customer named Bill

William:

We greatly appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Mike.

Customer Protection

Original review: March 20, 2020

Martha was our representative. During our phone conversation we received excellent customer service! We are satisfied with the service received. Representative was professional, knowledgeable, courteous, took time to explain procedure and was patient, answered questions precisely for our understanding. After being inadvertently disconnected she immediately contacted us on cell phone until our phone return in work order. Very considerate of her.

Nathaniel:

We greatly appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Martha.

Customer Protection

Original review: March 13, 2020

Excellent customer service provider. Great solutions provider. He never stop until find me the best solution possible. I’m great full of my selection of Protect America between others competitors; the only and unique downside or complain that I want to bring up is the slow and consuming time when I have to call for help and customer services support. More than an hour. Ridiculous.

Hello Eduardo:

Thank you for your feedback. While we do have peak hours of operation where some customers may have to wait longer than normal, we to find this unsatisfactory and are working to improve our service delivery. During those peak times, we have a few options for our customers which include leaving their phone number for a callback option without losing their place in queue or using our chat service or by going to www.myprotectamerica.com for assistance.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional concerns.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Great experience speaking with Jackie. Told her we had been a customer for over 15 years with Protect America. We left Protect America because we needed an outside camera. She told me Protect America offered a outside camera now. I was thrilled. Jackie explained the package and I was sold. We have been with ADT for over three years and we are happy to be back with Protect America. I would definitely recommend Protect America.

Protect America response

Hi Sheryl, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for choosing to be a part of Protect America’s family. We’re happy to hear about your positive experience. Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Called about bill, took 30+min to speak to rep. Explained I have Lupus & wanted to cancel. I am with my family so they can help me. Rep said he can’t do it & transfer me to someone. The call wait time is SAD??!! Help me PLEASE with my situation!

Protect America response

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns and would like to apologize for your recent experience. While we do have peak hours of operation where some customers may have to wait longer than normal. we to find this unsatisfactory and are working to improve our service delivery. During those peak times, we have a few options for our customers which include leaving their phone number for a callback option without losing their place in queue or using our chat service or by going to www.myprotectamerica.com for assistance. Our records show that we've had the opportunity to speak with you and addressed your concerns.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I truly had the best customer service experience with David. I called in to update my information and test my system. He was professional, courteous and really did a great job in taking care of me. Everything was explained and my order was processed promptly as I needed to update my control panel. It is refreshing to see a company hire people who are truly customer oriented. This is how you retain customers. There may be cheaper options but customer service experience will keep me with your organization. Thanks.

Ahmet,

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for being a valued customer of the Protect America family.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

After being a perfect customer for 14 years, they still charged me to cancel. Are you kidding me? Their platforms are outdated and simply don't function correctly, whichever one you choose. The customer service is HORRENDOUS with hold times that routinely exceed an hour or more. Their price is now more than the three times the market rate than newer platform competitors and the cancellation process is the worst I have ever experienced for any service company I've ever worked with. Four different people to argue with just to cancel... Really?! Protect America - you wasted my time and my money and can't even provide the service you are contractually obligated to fulfill. Consumers - Do Not Choose This Failing Organization! They were once a solid offering at a decent price but have declined to being inept and overpriced. There are so many other superior competitors. You have been warned.

Clay,

We would like to apologize for your recent experience.
    Our records show that per your renewal agreement, you had a few months remaining in term. We did have the opportunity to offer you upgraded equipment but you declined the offer. We in no way wanted to make you feel as if we were arguing. As a valued customer, our attempt was to upgrade your equipment and keep you in the Protect America family. The price would only increase depending on the equipment chose in the renewal.

Additionally, there are times during peak hours where we do have a high call volume. During that time we recommend our customers also use our chat service at www.myprotectamerica.com or leave their number using the callback option.

Please feel free to contact with any additional concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

First time buyer I don’t know what I’m looking for. Sales process was extremely consultative and not pushy at all at an extremely competitive price point for good quality products. Can’t beat it. I look forward to setting up and getting started.

Protect America response

Hi Zach, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re happy to hear about your positive experience. Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Hours on hold to wait for agent to cancel. They've transferred calls many times. Still unable to cancel after being in a contract for years we cannot get out of. They make it extremely difficult near impossible to cancel. Even if you move or never use service.

Aubriana;

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. It appears we've had the opportunity to speak with you regarding your request to cancel and the resolution was satisfactory.

Please remember to contact us at 800-951-5111 mid February if you would like to complete your cancel request.

Customer Protection

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Amanda was very courteous and helpful in every way. I will be sure to pass this along to my friends and recommend your company to any that are interested in a security system. I look forward to having a long and pleasant relationship with your company.

Protect America response

Hi Harold, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear about your positive experience. Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

This company will do or say anything to get you under contract then not remember anything. When you call back you'll get the biggest runaround you've ever seen until you're locked in then it's over. I would not recommend this company to anyone whatsoever. Good luck.

Warren:

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. Our records show that we have not had the opportunity to test your security system and possibly resolve your concerns.

Please contact us at 800-951-5111 option 4 to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

In a word “Professional Employee”!! After having ADT for over 6 years and having problems for the last 6 months AND a horrible experience with “Customer no service” I decided to break ranks and look for options (including installing hardware myself????) Your Company provided a Balance I didn’t know existed. The sales and operations (Bart) were excellent. I do believe that finding the difference your company provides will grow Protect America to #1 in this industry. Good luck (your Team proved to be Wonderfully different).

Respectfully,
    John **

Presently Statarius.com Operations

John:

We greatly appreciate the feedback and want to thank you for joining the Protect America family.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

When I moved and no longer needed their service I was bound by a contract for 6 months until it’s ended. I have paid each month and now that my contract is complete Protect America will not cancel my contract until I sign paperwork and will continue to bill me. This is not how a customer of 3 years should be treated. I do not understand why they make it so difficult to just stop billing me for services I am no longer using. I would not recommend this company for any services and as a veteran I will not let my fellow veterans go through this headache as we have other issues that we deal with every day. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!

Hello Bobby,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. It appears we've had a couple of conversations with you and explained the cancellation process which requires a 30 day written notice. We also informed you that a cancellation email would be sent and that you would need to e-sign the cancellation link in order to complete process. When the acknowledgement link is signed, the account is automatically setup to cancel thirty (30) days from that point. The Agreement that you signed also outlines the 30-day requirement.
    You will receive your cancellation link at onefonseca@yahoo.com within 24 to 48 hours and as a courtesy to you we are waiving the final balance.
    Please feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional questions or concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

The purchase was smooth and at a great price. We setup the system and called to complete the activation process and spend over an hour and a half on hold waiting to talk to someone to finish the setup. Yes there is an online chat feature but when purchased they said someone would talk us through the setup. This is ridiculous. If I wasn’t locked into a contract I would cancel. So beware. This is how they get you, once you’ve signed the contract it is very difficult to reach a human on the phone.

Dear April:

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns.It appears you have been a valued customer since 12/31/13 and decided to renew with us on 12/31/19. Thank you for your continued service and remaining a valued customer. Although there are times we have peak hours where the call volume is high, we do offer the chat service, the option to leave a callback number for us to return your call or text us to request a callback.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Will never go with this company again. The cancellation process costed me over $100 just to end service with them. Had them for four years and didn’t use the system at all. Asked them to waive the fees after being a customer for years and they refused. You have to sign a form to cancel and pay a last month fee. Absolutely will never be a customer again.

Dear Myiesha:

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns Our records show that your final payment of $102.69 was not to end service with us; but it was for a 3 month past due balance. Although you chose not to use your Protect America system, the service was made available to you. It appears that you have signed the cancellation link and as a courtesy to you we have waived the final month.

Customer Protection

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I've been with Protect America for years and I am moving and needed to cancel. I called over a week ago and was told someone would call me back so that I could cancel. They told me they called but I never got any messages. I just got billed again so I had to call back. This time I waited 50 MINUTES on the phone and still had to put my number in for a call back after that. Finally hours later someone called me back and then I had to be put on hold AGAIN to get transferred to the department that can actually cancel the account.

I was on hold over 20 MINUTES for that department. THIS IS WHY WHEN I MOVE I WILL NOT BE RESIGNING UP. The wait for customer service is absolutely ridiculous. Not only that there is a 30 day written cancellation policy so now I will get billed again for ANOTHER (February) month and won't even be living here! If someone would have answered the first time over a week ago this wouldn't have been an issue. Totally ridiculous!

Stacy,

We would like to apologize for your recent experience in your attempt to cancel service but our records show that we've had the opportunity to speak with you and you've signed the cancel link.

Thank you for being a valued customer and please feel free to contact us at 800-951-5111 with any additional concerns.

Customer Protection

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

On December 20 I called to set up a new control center, it took about an hour. The person who walked me through it was excellent, he knew exactly how to get to the correct places on the unit for the setup, he was courteous and very patient, and the new unit and new key fob work great. Thanks for having such competent staff working with your customers.

Protect America response

Hi Nick, Thank you for the positive review. We’re happy to hear our team was able to provide you with assistance during your installation. Please let us know if we can help answer any other questions regarding your security system.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Deanna, Was an excellent professional and patient representative for the company. I appreciated and enjoyed her assistance. She made my experience easy and informative. I would have no problem recommending her to help a family member getting connected to the system. Thank you for your help.

Protect America response

Hi Craig, Thank you for the review! We’re happy to hear about your positive experience with our Care team. Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Great customer service. I rate this company as # 1. The customer service representative Michael ** is professional, knowledgeable, polite and answered all of my questions. An additional manager came on the phone and asked if I had additional questions and that was great because it made me feel that I was comfortable about having made the decision of selecting this company for my security service for my home.

Protect America response

Hi Thelma, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback and we’re happy to hear about your positive experience with our team. Please let us know if we can provide you with further assistance.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

The service is inexpensive but unreliable. The customer is responsible for testing the system monthly but the testing does not always work. The door and window monitors are cheap and periodically set off a false alarm and they don't always recognize that a door has been opened. There is no way to see any billing on their website so the customer has to request that it be sent to them. Also, the company doesn't communicate with their consumers and their customer service is terrible. Don't waste your money.

Protect America response

Hi James, Thank you for reaching out to us. To better improve your experience as a customer and to assist with your equipment and billing, please respond via private message with name and address associated with the account. A member of our Care team will reach out to you once we verify you as a customer.

Protect America Company Information