Protect Your Home

Protect Your Home is one of the largest home security companies in the world. We have more than a hundred installation branches throughout the U.S. supporting and installing home security systems. Because we have home security system installation service centers across the nation, most locations can have an ADT monitored home security system installed within 24 hours to make sure you get immediate assistance in protecting your home and loved ones. Once your home is equipped with the security system, it is connected to a network of ADT Customer Monitoring Centers nationwide, delivering non-stop security monitoring 365 days a year.

All of our installation technicians are Protect Your Home employees, not third-party contractors, so you can count on your Security Advisor to take the time to set up your system properly, help you understand how the system works, and make sure your home and family are thoroughly protected

Compare Home Alarm & Security Systems

Research top Home Alarm & Security Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The tech couldn't have been any nicer. He was very nice, friendly, professional and knowledgeable, and really took my safety concerns into consideration. I was thrilled that we were able to schedule the installation as quickly as we did, within 2 days. He really explained things as he was going along that helped me to understand the system better. He took the time to show me and explain the panel and how to use it and had me test the stay and away buttons and made sure I was completely comfortable with turning on/off the system before he left.

On 4/30/2017, I called someone at (I thought) ADT to get a quote on home security for my new house and had received a flyer from ADT. It turned out to be a subcontractor named Protect Your Home and I asked A LOT of questions before deciding to schedule installation. I asked if I could charge the installation fee to my credit card, but the monthly fee to my debit card. The woman said yes. I asked when they charged the installation fee. She said not until after installation. She told me I was eligible for $850 worth of free equipment and that my credit score qualified me for a $27.99 per month rate. She even told me that I'd get my installation fee refunded via a $100 gift card "right after installation."

Well, the first red flag was that my credit card was charged the very next day. My installation was a whole week out. Then, when the installer showed up on 5/6/17, he was overly "car salesman" (no offense) and just skimmed over any questions I had with super upbeat answers. When he asked how I wanted to pay my monthly fee, I told him by debit card and gave him my debit card information. Then, he hit me with the news that TWO months would be debited right off the bat. WHAT!? To calm me down, he then told me that I wouldn't have to make another payment until July. NOT FOR JULY, but UNTIL July. (This is important for later.)

He also told me that I didn't qualify for the lower rate b/c that was only if they could use WIFI for my service and told me that b/c of how my WIFI was configured (not enough speed or whatever), I had to get the cellular service. THAT added $20 to my monthly fee. Then, he told me I wasn't approved for $850 of free equipment, but only $600 worth and I'd have to pay for motion sensors, etc. I put my foot down and said I was not about to pay for motion sensors when the woman told me I was getting enough stuff to cover my entire home. He just kept saying he had no control over what was said on the phone and that "they" were not him and he was "just the installer." He was very quick with his overview of how to use the system and seemed in a hurry to leave once he had my signed contract and financial information. He gave me a booklet, told me to read it, and then left.

I realized he didn't give me copies of anything I signed and they weren't in his booklet. I called their customer service line and someone said they'd email them to me. I didn't get them. The next day, I called again and they had my email address incorrect. I finally got the paperwork and read through all of it. The next red flag I noticed was that the $100 gift card required me to fill out an application to request it and send in a $4.95 processing fee by money order or cashier's check to a PO BOX and the company wasn't even ADT or Protect Your Home. What?! So, I don't even get a full refund of the installation fee. It cost $105 for the installation. I had to pay $1.00 for the $4.95 money order. I couldn't even send it with tracking confirmation bc it was a post office address. The form said to allow several months for processing and that I only had a 30-day window to claim the gift card.

The third red flag happened when I got an alert from my credit card company that I was over the limit. I checked and the company charged the two months of service to my credit card, not my debit card. I had specifically told the installer that I didn't have money on my credit card and had just enough to cover the installation. That's why I wanted my debit card used. I called Protect Your Home who told me I had to talk to someone at ADT. I called ADT and the very terse woman in billing pretty much called me stupid and told me I should have read my contract before I signed it because I can't change the form of payment for the first payment(s) and that they have to use the same form of payment as the installation fee. I asked why no one told me that when I mentioned it to two different people. She said they didn't have to. I should have read my contract.

Then, she told me that I could go online and change it for the June 4 payment. I said, "You mean July, right?" She said - "No, June 4". I told her that the installer told me I didn't have to make another payment until July. She said I was mistaken. I have to make my payments a full month in advance. I said that this was not what the installer told me. She said I needed to talk to Protect Your Home about that and transferred me right back to them.

So, over the course of two hours, I spoke to 5 different people at Protect Your Home, trying to explain what had happened, how I needed a refund of my credit card payment, etc. I finally got to a "manager" who assured me that everything would be corrected promptly and that my credit card would be refunded the two payments (less taxes!!!), and that my debit card would be debited two payments (plus taxes again!!) and for my inconvenience, he was going to shave $5 off of my monthly payment amount going forward and give me one free piece of equipment. I chose the smoke detector.

This all happened on 5/8, 5/9, and 5/10. Installation of the smoke detector was scheduled for Friday May 12. I told the manager that I had lunch from 12:30 - 1:30 and needed the installation to happen in that window b/c I just couldn't take time off from work to sit at home and wait on the installer. The installer showed up at 12:50 and it was the same installer as the week before. So, I decided to call him out on the incorrect information he told me. His rude response was that he had been doing this for 6 years and he would not have told me any of the things I said he said and that it was my duty to read the booklet and materials to know what I was getting into. I seriously thought about having him just take the whole system back. That is not good customer service and I am not a liar.

I FINALLY got a refund on my credit card (which was $4 less than their original charge) on 5/15 but they had already charged my debit card on 5/11 for the two months. So, for several days, my account at ADT showed over $180 worth of payment being made. I thought maybe things would settle down. Then, on 5/28/17, I had a power outage at my home. I remembered that the installer told me that I'd have battery backup and no interruption in protection for up to 5 days in the event of a power outage. Well, I needed to leave the house and went to arm the system, but nothing happened when I pushed the buttons.

I called ADT customer service and a woman told me to remove the faceplate of the keypad, take out the battery, and then put it back in and it would resolve my issue with the keypad not working. I was like, "Are you sure?" She said yes. So, trusting her, I removed the faceplate. But, I couldn't remove the battery as it was tightly screwed into a compartment and I didn't have a drill or screwdriver. She just kept saying she was sorry but that's all she knew. I hung up on her. I replaced the face plate and the keypad started working. Sadly, not properly, though. It was displaying several error messages.

I called ADT back and a young man told me that they never would have told me to remove the faceplate and transferred me to Protect Your Home. I got a rep on the line who said that I had to have a technician come out and fix what I broke. I explained I didn't break anything and that it really concerned me how there was absolutely no sense of responsibility at the company. No concern for my safety. I said I didn't even get any kind of calls about the fact that my system wasn't working properly. I asked if I'd get an account credit for the fact I wasn't going to have protection for several days. They couldn't get a tech out before today (5/31). He said I'd have to talk to someone after the issue was resolved to ask for an account credit.

On a whim, I decided to check the status of my $100 gift card this morning and the company MPELL states that they have not received any request from me for the gift card. They told me I could resubmit and pay another $4.95 or request a trace of the money order to see if it's been cashed. It will take weeks to get a response from the money order company. So, I can pretty much kiss that gift card goodbye. I don't want to pay another $4.95 (plus the $1 for the money order) to get the gift card. That means I'd have paid close to $12 for a stupid $100 gift card, which still doesn't fully refund the $104 installation fee.

I wish I had seen the negative reviews before I went with this service. I trusted ADT's reputation. I guess they are just eager to make a buck selling their licensing rights to these other companies and don't care about reputation risk. I have written letters to the corporate offices of both Protect Your Home and ADT. No response. I also have a feeling that when I call them to get a service credit, they are going to give me the runaround. It's going to be a LONG three years. This company needs some major training on client satisfaction, client retention, and responsibility/ownership. Everything I've said can be supported by the alleged recorded calls. I should have recorded my interactions with the installer. Hindsight is 20/20. My gut told me he wasn't telling me everything when he was there, but I ignored it. Who else has he been misleading for 6 years?

Our recent installation with ADT was very convenient, the staff and customer service was very friendly and helpful. Joshua our home installer was very good at explaining the whole details of the work. Thank you ADT for making our home experience feeling safe.

I was just so happy to meet your great techs, Ryan and Christopher **. I did not get Ryan's last name but you probably know the specifics. Let me tell you, the boys came in and took their shoes off! RESPECT. What can I say. I was so impressed with the two of them. They were friendly, funny, we had such fun conversations. Their people skills are impressive. Most installations are awkward but these guys are just wonderful. Even when I had to download my ADT APP Ryan was patient and helped me get it and explained how to arm and disarm... The box. I am 63yo with minimal computer and cell phone skills. My 30yo daughter was visiting and she had nothing but good things to say about how they conducted themselves. Ryan was training Christopher and he is a great teacher.

The representative was very professional and carefully examined our home for security needs. He fully explained what he had available and what he would recommend for our needs (the ones we had expressed during the house tour). He also apprised us of the price of everything and we settled on what we wanted to have installed. He spent a short time to put everything in place and cleaned up after himself when finished. He then went over everything again with us and made sure we would comfortable using the system. Overall, it was a very good experience and we are quite pleased with what we have put in place.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect Your Home?

The technician was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in his recommendations for our installation. He made sure to fully instruct us at each and every monitor installation. At the end, he made sure we knew how to work the control box and our hand-held monitors. Having ADT definitely makes a huge difference in our attitude to be safe at home whether in residence or away.

I would say that my initial experience with ADT during a transfer of service was very difficult. I even took off work early to meet the technician only to find out that my appointment had not been scheduled. However, after a few phone calls I found a wonderful manager that was able to get my install service scheduled for the next day since I was leaving to go out of the country. Thanks ADT.

The fella on the phone, Steve, was very helpful and friendly when I first called ADT. I'm not a very patient person when it comes to calling utility companies regarding service, but this phone call was one of the pleasant ones. They answered any and all questions and had me set up nicely. As for the installer, he was just as nice of a guy as the others. He was very professional and conducted his business efficiently. I did pay a little more at installation due to getting the "aesthetically pleasing" door sensors. Not that big of a deal, but I thought I was already getting top of the line, when in fact I was getting second best.

You should keep more technicians like the gentleman that installed all those goodies. I was so afraid that I couldn't operate the system that I almost backed out and told you to tell the tech not to come. My experiences with this new phone is enough to keep me from adding any technology to my house. So I "bit the bullet" and welcomed him. He sat down, listened to my fears, and changed the subject and helped me to relax by asking me what I used to do. I taught school for forty years. After laughing about my experiences I began to relax. That was it. He told me I had nothing to worry about. He was right. When he was finished, he showed me everything, explained it in teacher language (so I could understand the terms) and the "how to do it". When he left I almost hated to let him go. He was polite, funny, and genuinely cared for my safety.

Gotten a call from Protect Your Home, informing me they received several alarm warnings from my back door to my dining room and living room windows. I told the representative everything was fine and no warnings from the keypad and the system was disarmed. They were prompt and checking my status to make sure there were no force entries into my home. After checking my call was forward to technical support to see if there was any problems of my system and the representative walked me thru the steps to check my system and the door and windows sensor. They were very courteous and helpful.

Easy, peasy. During initial conversations regarding home security, with different agencies & equipment, I found that the combination of Protect Your Home and ADT had the best combination of services. Ease of understanding initial questions leading to the home site visit and concluded with instructions and completion was exactly what I expected, and received. The installer (initials J.C.) was extremely professional even when we were interrupted by an overseas phone call. All questions were answered, again professionally without hidden agendas.

Our installer was diligent in getting everything set up for us and explaining the services and costs and was a great in helping us pick the right equipment for our security needs. The installer was very professional and very personable putting us at ease. The equipment is easy to use and meets all our needs!

I cannot say enough about the great service from Caleb, the level of his knowledge, his ability to explain everything, and his follow-thru with questions and issues. I got the system that I wanted and purchased a few more items based on Caleb's suggestions. I just cannot stress enough how much a great salesperson/installer makes the entire process so pleasurable. I highly recommend the ADT system and ADT as a company.

The guys that came to our house to talk/install were great. They played by the book, but also listened to what I had to say. They told me that the first thing they do is install the keypad on a wall. I asked that we discuss things before they start installing. They had to call it in as a deviation from protocol, but did so at my request. The people on the phone were pretty pushy and did their best (successfully in this case) to keep me on the phone until a time was set up and my credit was checked. Not too wild about that, but I get it since there's a fear of losing the customer.

I was impressed from the moment I called ADT. Even though we had been looking at other systems the representative I spoke with when I first called as well as the installation technician, Larry ** sold us on the product. They were both extremely professional and knowledgeable. Larry was exceptional. He was not at all pushy and did not make the presentation a sales pitch. The installation was a breeze. Thank you ADT.

Excellent service. The tech knew exactly what to do and how to make it best for our family and security desires. Only issue was the unexpected charge of 1400 for extra equipment. While not the tech's fault and I understand the need for the equipment, simply the installation cost was openly explained. I assume that is because many would walk away due to the amount.

Our installer "Scott" was very professional and personable. He answered all my questions and left us with a feeling that we made the correct choice in choosing ADT as our security system provider. If ever we were to upgrade or move our system and need another installer I would very much like Scott to handle the re-installation or any future installation. Overall a very good job!

**, the ADT guy they sent to my house to install my system, was very patient with me, which is saying a lot. He was very friendly, and very, very patient with me. Being a new homeowner, you kind of want to do the best for your new home. I feel that having ADT, and the customer service that I received, I would recommend ADT to anyone.

I absolutely loved the excellent customer service. From signing up with the service to having my service connected. The techs were very professional and I completely understood how the security works because the techs were very patient with me and my family. Courteous, respectful and polite. I am so glad and happy with my home security and the personnel staff did an amazing job.

They are a third party service, they use intimidation tactics against their customers and are bullies!! I unfortunately signed with them and it's been downhill ever since. The tech who installed, didn't know what he was doing, was at my house till 11 pm! He hit on me, left unnecessary holes in my wall (still not fixed), he left trash for me to clean up, found a keypad and window sensor in it, hope I'm not getting charged for that! Called a week later because my equipment was not working. Another tech had to come out. He was frustrated because he had spent his day fixing installations and was even more frustrated when he found out he was not at my house to upsell me on equipment. Nobody took the time to explain how to use any of the equipment. I called three months later to see how much it would be to break the contract and that's when the real problems began.

I spent SEVEN HOURS getting hung up on, placed on hold or sent to voicemail. One of the times on hold the ladies in the call center forgot I was there, and were talking about their "wild night out". Five minutes later when they realized I was still there and could hear them, she quickly hung up on me. I had to send an email to Defender's corporate office to get a phone call back. Anglelica said they would give me three months' credit for my mistreatment. A month later still don't have the credit. This week I started getting phone calls from Defender's collection agency at all hours of the day and night.

I finally got a rep on the phone this morning, her name was Sarah. She informed me I need to pay her $1200 right now because they're canceling my service. You can't imagine my confusion considering the last contact I had with both companies was me calling asking why I still haven't received my three month credit? I told her that and she became very abrasive. I wanted to know where she got the $1200 number, because a month ago when ADT/Defender looked at my account and how much it would be to break the contract both companies agreed it would be $700. Every month I've paid for half of the equipment the amount goes down, not up?!! Sarah snaps back at me saying "Well they must have given you a 50% off coupon to break your contract".

2 problems, first that math doesn't add up, second I didn't cancel my account? So she raised her voice and told me she couldn't help me. I need to call ADT loyalty and hung up. I emailed corporate again to let them know. I don't expect a response. Get a nest. This company can't be trusted with protecting your family. They only want your money!

Just had the system installed, the Technician was great, he explained everything he was doing and answered all my questions patiently and professionally. I felt very comfortable about operating the system when he was ready to leave. Had ADT several years ago and feel that you have made many improvements to your service.

I wasn't sold on ADT until I met with your installation technician Trevor **. After speaking with the sales department of ADT, reviewing other companies and speaking with other people regarding their systems I was confused about what my home needed. When Trevor came to our home he listened to my husband and my concerns, inspected our home with great detail and took the time to explain to us what he felt would be the best security system. He also took the time to show us the equipment, explain what it did and answer all our questions. During installation he explained what he was doing, answered all additional questions and made sure we were okay with device placements. After installation he explained the system again, showed us how to use it and didn't leave until we were ready for him to go. This was the absolute best installation job I could have ever wished for. Thank you ADT for sending Trevor **.

The activation went pretty well. However, when I made the appointment, it wasn't made clear to me how long the install would take, so I thought the 2pm-4pm window would be fine for us to still leave at 5pm to get to our evening plans. The installer showed up at 4pm and moved as fast as he could - he was very accommodating. That didn't leave him enough time to really show us how to use the system, however, so we had a few lingering issues and problems. The technician I worked with on the phone a couple days later was great and resolved them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

My experience with purchasing and getting my alarm system installed was punctuated with multiple false promises, including a verbal promise from 2 agents that I could cancel my contract within 6 months, promises for additional devices, and a hidden fee and process for getting the $100 gift card. This was a local installer Protect Your Home of Kansas City. Frankly the only good reviews I can find about ADT are about the corporation. Most reviews of the franchises, if that's what they are, are terrible. Considering ADT's excellent reputation, I foolishly believed what I was told.

I responded to a mailer offering $100 gift card refund for my installation. I was promised 2 motion detector devices on the phone but only received 1. Victor assured me multiple times verbally that, even though it wasn't in the contract, I had 6 months to cancel it. Considering that ADT is a well regarded company, I assumed he could be trusted.

The installation person, promised I'd get support from him via personal text for 2 weeks after the installation, but couldn't get him to fulfill multiple promises to come fix my system. My home was unsecured for 5 days while he tried to get someone to fix it, but I paid full price. He also took down the wrong numbers, which resulted in a police call for a faulty window alarm. 4. The $100 gift card they promised required me to print out and send a $4.95 S&H fee, so the actual amount of the card $95.05 less postage and cost of the money order. 5. I called the 800-689-9554 number attempt to cancel my account, but was told repeatedly that despite what I was told repeatedly, they would hold me to the 36 month contract. At every step of the way I was promised things just to get my business that turned out later to be not entirely honest. It's a shame that a company with such a stellar reputation would tell a series of half truths and outright lies just to get my business.

ADT was authorized to debit my checking account ONLY for the initial installation on my rental property. I made it perfectly clear to both the installer and the sales rep that I was only authorizing the charge for installation. They continued to take unauthorized monthly payments from my checking account for over a year for a bill that was in my tenant's name and refuse to refund. I never even signed the contract! Buyer beware of ADT. They don't even offer paper billing. They get your account number at the time of installation and CHARGE even if the account is not in your name! Bad business!

I was given misleading information when I called. This was verified by a manager who listened to the recorded messages. Repeated calls to the company have resulted in runarounds by several different people. I still have not had resolution 6 weeks later. My calls are not returned. I thought I was contracting with ADT and then was told Defenders was the company on record for the first 3 months. Several newspaper and flyer ads gave different phone numbers and different information about equipment. I left a good alarm company for a very bad one.

The installer arrived pretty much when he said and was very nice. I did the wireless system so only a couple of holes in the wall. From there downhill. I was supposed to get my special at $27.99 with 15 window connections and a panel box and door contacts was included in the 15. I only received 2 of the contacts because he said I didn't any more than that. I received one door alarm and until I read the reviews I don't know if it's been installed correctly. He put a couple of window contacts on because he said I didn't need any more than that.

I didn't get a contract to read because he had an Ipad and told me to sign to give him permission to put in it in. He also sold me a blue light for $44.00 which I gave him permission to put on my Credit card. So he had permission to charge the $99.00 fee and the $44.00 for the blue light. When I received my c/c bill I was charged all the previous and they charged my first month and a half for $73.49 which they did not have permission to do. Now if my monthly bill is $27.99 how can a month and a half be $73.49?

I immediately called my credit card company and they stopped payment on that amount. I told the C/C people to not let any more charges from these people to go through. The next bill they tried to send $110.00 through and I have no idea what that was for but the C/C didn't accept it. I talked to some man at the Defender (which I didn't even know this company was involved) he said I had no protection on my equipment. I could buy it for $9.00 more a month which it came to $36.99. I told him I had not planned on that kind of money. He preceded to give me several debit cards to make up the difference and it came close. I then find out that I was not told they had to buy a permit to install the system in my house. I didn't believe him so I called my city and they had bought one. The only truth so far. I went online to pay my bill and I figured after all the problems I had had I read the terms and conditions.

After I read what they had in them there was no way I was making a payment online and agreeing to their terms. So I waited until I received a call and then she said my payment was $93.49 and I told her no way. It was $73.49 and what was $20.00 for? She looked again and said I looked at it wrong. I have never in my life dealt with more dishonest people. I still owe the $50.00 and I will send it in a check as soon as I get a paper bill. My FOB only works when it wants to but even with the protection plan it will cost $60.00 to replace it. Can't win for losing with this company and I don't even know if I can count on their protection. Like I said when contract is finished so am I.

Three months ago I responded to a brochure from ADT. The company came to install the system. The technician was here from 9-5 when I asked him to leave. He was rude, belligerent and refused to leave. I threatened to call the police. The second technician spent five hours trying to reprogram the system. I had service for one month. After that I have had a yellow triangle telling me the system is not connecting with ADT. ADT now tells me that the keypad installed is not adequate for my house.

I asked Defenders to install a booster. The third technician came out and told me they did not supply him with a booster and that the system is really connected without any interruption. When I told him that ADT headquarters told me they do not have a signal from my house he just shrugged his shoulders. The technicians with Defenders are not qualified to install and service the equipment. You have to go direct to ADT. Do not be led into an agreement with Defenders.

My experience with ADT was very enlightening and educational regarding points of entry on my home, different risk assessments, and how I am able to protect my home and family. Dustin, our technician, was very friendly and professional and installation was very easy. I was surprised with how nicely the newer hardware was installed; no wires needed and it perfectly covered the places my previous ADT equipment was installed. Overall I would have to say that I am very happy with the services as a whole and would recommend ADT to my friends and family.

Worst billing dept. Ever. During install they charged credit card and promised it would not be used for monthly service... they lied and charged credit card for monthly payment. I contacted and canceled this, and asked for monthly bill. I have yet, to receive a monthly statement. Thanks to new microchip card, old card canceled and they can't charge my card no more. Still have not received a statement.

Protect Your Home Company Profile