Call toll free
4.35/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Protect Your Home is one of the largest home security companies in the world. We have more than a hundred installation branches throughout the U.S. supporting and installing home security systems. Because we have home security system installation service centers across the nation, most locations can have an ADT monitored home security system installed within 24 hours to make sure you get immediate assistance in protecting your home and loved ones. Once your home is equipped with the security system, it is connected to a network of ADT Customer Monitoring Centers nationwide, delivering non-stop security monitoring 365 days a year.

All of our installation technicians are Protect Your Home employees, not third-party contractors, so you can count on your Security Advisor to take the time to set up your system properly, help you understand how the system works, and make sure your home and family are thoroughly protected

Protect Your Home Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1344 Protect Your Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Our tech was great. Friendly and helpful. Knew what he was doing. On the other hand however, ADT should be more upfront about costs. It should be made clear that you have to buy *expensive* equipment out of pocket. Also, advertising monthly rates at $27 dollars a month only if you have a landline service is a joke. You know almost no one has this anymore so at the end of agreeing to financial aspect of everything you inform people that it'll actually cost close to $60 for the "cellular" service.

All that is a little deceptive. But, to top it off your promo of a $100 gift is also not clearly explained beforehand. It requires a cashiers check for $4.95. One, really? A cashier's check? Two, this seems to be set up this way to create a hassle in the hopes people don't follow through with it. Overall though, I haven't had any issues with the service so I can't complain about that. Just be more upfront with costs. We were expecting to pay nothing and ended up with a nearly $2,000 bill.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I never received a text or phone call to notify me the technician was on their way. The technician was in his personal vehicle, not an ADT one. I understand it was a late call for him but, he was quick and efficient with the install. He also got us most of the equipment we needed minus one glass breakage monitor that should be in the garage but, also kept our cost down. As for telling us what he was doing while figuring out what equipment we needed (doing the paperwork) and what he was going to install, he was quiet until it was time to install them all.

My wife was and still is confused about the whole thing and the billing. From what I gather, when we gave our credit card number during the initial call, is that it would give ADT the ability to have the charges applied after the install to expedite activation. We just received our statement in the mail and I must say, I am making a call Monday 12/3 to clarify the details of charges already billed. Other than that, my wife now feels a bit safer than before.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

After a long day of installation, a lengthy service visit, and two over-the-phone sessions with tech support, the system still isn't working correctly and we're waiting for another service visit on Monday. None of the cameras are being triggered by motion so we're not getting any alerts. During the initial installation I asked if the cams were HD, I was assured they were. The images were awful out of the three cams. When I complained by phone to ADT, they had the service people come out and switch the cams for HD ones. Why didn't they install the right vid-cameras to begin with!?! And honestly, a maximum resolution of 720 is disappointing by today's standards.

Still, compared with the Digital Life security system we had prior, ADT seems much more professional and experienced, we are not sorry we moved to ADT Pulse. We do look forward to having the rough edges ironed out Monday when the ADT techs come. We also very much look forward to the availability of the Nest thermostats to add to our system!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Best installation service that I have experienced! ADT went above and beyond with next morning installation. ADT provided discounts based on what had happened at our home (suspicious activity; individuals going through our mailbox and taking pictures of our house while at work). Further discount provided based on me being a registered nurse. I will forever appreciate that. Customer service was excellent from the first time I called, each customer rep., agent, or manager.

Our sales advisor/installation technician was awesome, his name is James **, out of the Raleigh, N.C. office. James was down-to-earth, funny, friendly, intelligent, and loves his job/what he does for his customers. He took the time to explain each device and how to work the security system. He deserves a raise, Christmas bonus, more vacation time, something. My wife and I already feel much more safe and secure with the system installed. I have referred ADT to my neighbors, and I will keep ADT for a lifetime (from one house to the next). Thank you again ADT and James! Someone there, please make sure James hears about this.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

The two gentlemen who came to my home were friendly and very efficient. I have nothing but a good report on those men. A YEAR AGO THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED!!! At to the service that I had with you a year ago under my husband's name... that is a whole other story. I was very disappointed in my service a year ago. I had all new windows and doors put in my home so I needed new sensors on sliding glass doors and on new crank out windows. Mind you my had my service with you faithfully for 5 years automatically debited from my checking account. So when I need this update, I was told it would cost me $1500.00. I said no way. The ADT customer service person informed me this is the way it would be. So, I discontinued my service for a year. If that had been handled as easily as this install has been handled then there would have been no lapse in my service with ADT. I am very satisfied with my service in 2018, but not in 2017!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect Your Home?

Original review: May 21, 2019

Installation of ADT alarm system - We were very happy with Brandon **'s installation and customer interaction. He was always patient and responsive to any and all of our questions and assisted us many times over with the use of the new camera/doorbell. Also the people I got when I called customer service were always friendly and helpful.

Original review: May 21, 2019

ADT did a wonderful job installing my alarm system. My tech "Am" was very polite, friendly, professional and knew what he was talking about as he explained the equipment to me. He told his time and went over every detail and showed me how to work my alarm system and also downloaded my ADT Pulse app, so I can arm and disarm from my phone.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Rusty my technician was very friendly, and polite. He also was very knowledgeable about the product. There was a little confusion on my package and pricing, compared to what I was told by the sales representative when setting up my appointment, but Rusty called his supervisor and had it worked out in just a minute. Overall I got everything I already had and then some. I also had a couple of false alarms after Rusty left which I thought was odd but response time was good and haven't had any sense. I already feel safer than I did with my last security company, and me and my family couldn't be happier.

Original review: May 19, 2019

We have been customers of ADT for 29 years. A recent interaction with 2 tech visits and 2 follow up calls to Kristen left us less than satisfied. Until we called and got Marcus on the line who assured us that hardwired fire detectors are powered by electricity and shouldn’t die, as well we have a home generator. Thanks for your professional opinion that the alarm was more than likely related to a power surge and saving us $300 even though we have a service plan. After careful thought, we remember the electric company was shutting off power sporadically for tree service. ADT needs more people like Marcus.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Very thorough and professional consultation and installation. I was presented with all available alternatives and was helped when choosing the most appropriate for my needs. The sales/installation rep was courteous, knowledgeable and not pushy. I only selected what I needed.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I spoke with a customer service manager Anthony who promised me severe discounts on equipment and that he could accomplish our needs for $28.99 per month given that our current security system payment was $33 per month. He said he would enter our account in as a "take Over" account to accomplish this. The installers were great and the equipment discounts were granted as promised. However, the monthly cost was $59.99 and there was no ability to grant me the $28.99 the manager I set the appointment up with promised me.

Original review: May 7, 2019

The ADT tech that was here at my home were very nice and caring. My only problem I have is that I can't get any paperwork online. I was promise a promotion gift card of 100.00 and I don't have or can't get it online so I need help with that.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Our technician, Victor ** was most excellent and did a top notch job of installation. We had a problem with one of the fire alarms malfunctioning but this was addressed immediately. Our experience with him and others from ADT so far, so good and all is well.

Original review: May 3, 2019

The only problem I had is the installer did not leave specific details on my system. He only left general flyers.

1. No Order number.
2. Written description of difference between setting alarm while in the house and outside house.

3. Is there a way to disable Motion detectors to leave my big Dog in the house.

See attached example of a drawing.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Our tech came out and was very sweet and informative. More personable than I thought he would be, which opens the door to me feeling comfortable asking all questions without feeling dumb. I would recommend them any day, as they have been very professional!

Original review: May 2, 2019

We could not be more pleased with our installation experience. Our technician was VERY knowledgeable and was able to explain everything to us in a way that we were able to understand. The process was painless. A friend recommended ADT to us and they have always had a good reputation. Thanks to all for a job well done.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Installation was quick. Tech very knowledgeable, informative, patient, personable. He answered all our questions. He did however forget to install the medical side of the installation. He said he'd make sure we were taken care of but we never heard back. We had to reach out to ADT.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Installer was very professional and answered all our questions. Gave us a few options on service without any pressure. Hose was cleaned and he sat down with us to review our new system. He was very helpful in going over the operation of our new security system.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Our technician was very friendly, helpful, and patient. We had never had a security system before so had a bunch of questions and he was able to answer them all. He made the experience so easy and really cared to give us the best quality instruments he had. The process of installation and activation was a breeze on our end because of the technician. So thankful to feel safe in our home.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I just want to let you know that I am happy about returning to your company for my home security protection, I think you're the best company in the business. I love that your company can monitor from anywhere in the world, that is real protection that you can count on.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I had never experienced customer service this poor. I purchased a Condo. I was looking to shop around for pricing on different company this being my 1st home. The sales rep on the phone convinced me that the $27.99 package was a good offer. A manager was put on the after me being a little apprehensive, and he advised me he could add additional equipment credits totaling about $850 if I'm not mistaken. And also was offer a $100 Visa gift card to cover the install. So I ended my search where I started and scheduled with Defender (which I thought was ADT directly). Paid the $100 install charge on the phone. And I failed to mention the sales reps are pretty much just there to get you scheduled. They will not give you pricing for added service door locks, cameras, etc. They must get commission by appointment. They stated the Technician will go over details with me.

Now, is where we have problems. The tech came. I'm thinking he'll find out what I need and get to work. I expressed to him that someone mentioned I needed a home phone for the cheaper package which I had but didn't have the handset and set up for it yet. He stated I just needed power. This guy was there for 3 hours, only took about 30 mins to actually install system. He pretty much gave me a consultation on different products offered by them that I had no care in the world for. He created a monitoring package he felt would work for my small Condo. Once again I asking him, "Will the cost be $27.99?" He said yes but I would have to pay another $210.00 for additional equipment not covered by credit. I was hesitant but agreed. We agreed on the smoke detector, 6 window sensors, front door sensor and sliding door has a sensor, access to the app and the remote key pad.

He was working on some sort of tablet setting the order up. He completed the install then advised me I'll receive a prorate on the 1st bill and a break down of the charges that covers the equipment at retail price and that it doesn't reflect the credits and disregard it. I received the 1st bill and a paper contract. The bill was $74.XX for a half a month and full month. I was a little confused I then opened the contract. It has signatures and initials. I never sign one form, never touched the screen of his tablet, never viewed anything on it. He bound me in a contract for $52.99 for the most basic system you could have. I called in to express my concerns. Zero remorse was shown.

Spent 3 hours on the phone calling in, getting transferred and placed on hold, being told i'm past my 3 day cancellation period (Install was 4/18/19. Called on 4/26/19). I request for a manager which seemed to not want to come to the phone. Kept having the agent tell me me they can downgrade my system to the $27.99. That still did not please me having to have another tech come out to do what I asked to be done from the beginning. Still refusing to get on the phone I expressed that something need to be done rectify the lies and inconvenience. He final came on the line said the same thing the agent said saying they will have a tech come out and downgrade, that I'm stuck in the contract that I never signed.

He stated they do an E-signature and just justifying about the BS lies. And final I told him the least you could do for paying customer is offer a month free or something. He final agreed after trying to brush me off several types saying, "Is there anything else I can do." I do not want to pay this company another dime. I have lack in trust there he will even apply a bill credit at all. I think I may need to get an attorney to get away from this fraudulent company. All they want is to lock you in that contract. After that they do not care. $1200 to cancel and I was really concerning paying that but then they still win.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Our agent and installer, Logan **, was succinct and to the point in his presentation, yet thorough in covering the material. His installation efforts were professional and completely in accord with our wishes. We would always like him as our ADT representative.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I liked the install it went smooth and fast. Also I can understand everything he did at install. Everything works as intended. We liked it very much and it made my wife more secured at this time. I like it I like it I like I like it very much.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I had ADT install a home security service recently. In error, I suppose, ADT billed me my first 2 months service charges incorrectly. The charges were higher that agreed upon as dictated by the signed contract. I was compelled to call them to rectify the matter. In speaking with a customer service representative named Brandon, he said that no matter what the contract says that my monthly payment should be higher than normal because they used an outside vendor to install my security system. So I challenged him about the validity of the binding contract and he insisted that monthly payments are more.

When I further pressed him about the legality of the contract or any contract, for that matter he decided to put me on hold for nearly 20 minutes, until I hung up. Because he had no reasonable logic for saying it didn't matter what the contract said he put me on hold. So if you ever call ADT customer service and a person named Brandon answers, hang up immediately because he will put you on hold when if he has no reasonable answer and you would have wasted time speaking with him. He should not be in the capacity of a customer service rep. Call back until anyone else answers. Anyone will be more competent than Brandon.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We wanted to upgrade our home security system and chose ADT. The Service tech was very personable and knowledgeable and showed us where we needed enhanced security devices in our home. He also explained why he was suggesting the added security. Since the installation, we have been very pleased with our new system.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The installer was very nice, kind, honest and thorough. Really a great guy. He was very helpful with regards to what type of security and sensors that we needed. He spent a great deal of time making sure that all the sensors were working properly and that the system worked properly after installation. My only complaint is that it is very expensive, but at least there is a payment plan.

Original review: April 15, 2019

From the phone call I made to inquire about ADT and through the actual installation, I received the highest standard of customer service. My family feels safe knowing that ADT has exceptional equipment/technology/staff and a great track record through the years!

Original review: April 12, 2019

We were searching for a home security system with Video Doorbell Camera. We were very specific since we already have security at both locations. The salesman assured me of the prices and informed me that would take $99.00 out of my account after the technician came and confirmed the services. That was an absolute lie. The funds for two different installs was taken out of my bank account before the technician arrived with all of his equipment in hand. When I asked him to confirm the cost it did not include a Video Doorbell which was the only reason for the security change. He advised the the Video Doorbell would be an additional $299.00 for each installation at my home and the home of a senior parent.

When I challenged the conflicting information and he called his manager or support I was told on a speaker phone I could go out and purchase "Ring Door" bell. Unbelievable. Why would I call a security service to go out and purchase additional material. Of course we went back and forth for about 15 minutes. I gave the ADT technician a tip for his time and he insured me that both installations were canceled and I should be getting a refund in 3 days. I took the number just in case and called ADT who who told me I had to call Defender Security in order to get a refund. So the games begin. The salesman lied, the technician lied and now we are playing games about my $99.00 deposits that I paid for not one but two different homes. Finally after reaching someone at Defender who could not find the two accounts I was told it would take 7 to 10 days to get my money back that they took out in seconds. I was told by the ADT technician it would be 3 to five days.

The money isn't a big deal. It was the principle. Had I allowed them to install the service without reiterating all the questions I asked the salesman I would be out of $800.00 for a service I already have through another company. Don't let Defender Security scam you into thinking ADT is going to provide something that is going to cost a lot more. They both are going to get paid and they could care less about your security or the competition. Really disappointed with the salesman and the service technician. They lack integrity and when I called a 4th time got a salesman who just sent me back to the voice prompt. DON'T DO IT. Read the fine print when they tell you that they are a 4.5 star company with no complaints. The truth is probably hidden in more of their lies.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The service we received was excellent. The installation went smoothly and the installer was very knowledgeable about the products and services and took the time to walk us through everything. We didn't feel pressure to purchase anything unnecessary. The installer showed up right on time and performed everything in a timely manner.

Original review: April 11, 2019

It alarms me whenever someone walks into the house and leaves, it gives you a nice chime, it also lets me know if any doors are left open, That part I think I like that most. It is working very well for us. Thank you.

Protect Your Home expert review by Ben Mannes

Partners with ADT for monitoring services. Choose from 5 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems are professionally installed with home automation options and 3-year contracts.

• 24-hour installation: Protect Your Home has service centers nationwide, so most homes can have a security system installed in as little as a day.

• Inexpensive installation: When purchased with monitoring, home monitoring equipment is included in the price, so customers only need to pay an inexpensive installation fee.

• Beyond burglary protection: Monitoring services include fire, carbon monoxide, flood, smoke and break-in alarms.

• Theft Protection Guarantee: The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. Interested consumers should contact the company to learn about restrictions.

• Battery backup: When the power goes out, homes still need protection from break-ins or emergencies. With a battery backup system installed with each alarm system, homeowners can leave with confidence, knowing their home is safe and secure.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protect Your Home Company Information