4.30/5

Need a home alarm?

Protect Your Home

Protect Your Home is one of the largest home security companies in the world. We have more than a hundred installation branches throughout the U.S. supporting and installing home security systems. Because we have home security system installation service centers across the nation, most locations can have an ADT monitored home security system installed within 24 hours to make sure you get immediate assistance in protecting your home and loved ones. Once your home is equipped with the security system, it is connected to a network of ADT Customer Monitoring Centers nationwide, delivering non-stop security monitoring 365 days a year.

All of our installation technicians are Protect Your Home employees, not third-party contractors, so you can count on your Security Advisor to take the time to set up your system properly, help you understand how the system works, and make sure your home and family are thoroughly protected

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1240 Protect Your Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The installer provided clear and accurate information on each device, in that I could make an informed decision as to whether I wanted a certain device or not. The only thing I don't care for is the monitoring pad in the bedroom. It distributes the person sleeping, if someone is up and going in and out the doors. Like the unit and all its abilities. I would choose ADT again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

On or around October 1st, 2018, I received a plastic postcard in my mailbox advertising low cost ADT alarm service for $27.99 a month. (See attachment). Around the middle of October 2018, I called whom I thought was the original ADT at 1-888-389-2943, but it turned out that I was calling a provider of ADT, a company called "Defenders."

At that time, I inquired about obtaining an alarm system. I am a very detailed orientated person. While on the phone with a Defender sales agent, I asked how much I needed to pay to get the advertised alarm system installed. The salesman responded by saying, “All I needed to pay is a $100.00 deposit and the equipment fee for the alarm system would be free of charge." Plus, I was told that ADT would refund me the $100.00 deposit back in a Mastercard.

The agent failed to state in order to get the $100.00 Mastercard, I needed to send a company called "Mpell" a money order for $4.95. By having little experience with alarm systems, I declined the Defenders offer, because in the past I was told by another alarm system provider that there were no installation fees, just the monthly service fees. After making it clear to the salesman that I did not want service, the salesman told me to hold on the phone and he would be transferring me to another department. While on hold, a supervisor came on the phone and stated if I install the service for $27.99 a month, she would throw in a smoke detector along with an outside siren burglar alarm. Since I was offered the burglar alarm and the outside burglar alarm, I agreed to the installation.

On October 26th, 2018, a serviceman named Tyler arrived to install the alarm system. Tyler told me he was installing shock absorbent detectors on all my windows. Now or a week later, none of the alarms are in working condition. Defenders has refused to service the alarm system in a timely manner. Now they are telling me that shock absorbent detectors were never install. I previously missed two days from work waiting on Defenders service persons.

In addition, Tyler install all the alarm backwards. If I don’t have shock absorbent detectors? If both pieces of the alarm are installed on one immovable frame? Then my windows are not protected. In addition, the free smoke detector, and the outside burglar alarm was not so free. As I was charged for those two items and led to believe that my security system was securely installed. Also, after the installation Tyler told me that I needed to pay an additional $1,176 dollars.

Feeling pressured, I agreed to pay in installments. Tyler told me I would be billed in three installments. I was never billed in three installments. Tyler billed my account the $1,176.00 as he exited my door. Oh yeah, did I mention that the $27.99 monthly fee turned into $52.00 a month. One business day after paying off ADT Defenders, a lady from Defenders' collection department called me and said I needed to pay another $1000.00 dollars. I can not understand what the original ADT would allow these crooks and thieves do to sell their products.

Please report these people to the BBB. Also, on Defenders or Protect Your Home website Defender and Protect Your Home state, "they have a AAA rating with the BBB." Just one lie after the next. BBB of Central Indiana 151 N Delaware, #2020 Indianapolis, IN 46204. Phone: (317) 488-2222. Fax: (317) 488-2224. Email Address: info@indybbb.org. Website: www.indybbb.org.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My recent experience with ADT is like a five-star hotel, the tops from installation to activation, ADT has always been to me the top security company that's still in business and also has excellent service, I choose this company because a lot of security be in business one day and doesn't hold standard years of service, but ADT does. My technician as well as the sales representative was very professional, I explained to the sales representative what I need and received just that. My technician was very prompt. On time. That is very important to me, he showed up on time and provided excellent service. My ADT system I'm very pleased with it and I can truly say to everyone if you are looking for excellent service choose ADT, you will not go wrong.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The technicians gave good information about all the products that are available and what works best in protecting my home. Professional installation was great, and the technicians were very friendly and knowledgeable. I feel better now knowing that when I'm away from my home and family that they are being protected.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Joshua ** was patient, thorough and knowledgeable!! He walked us through the options and allowed us to make the best decision for our home and budget. He explained each piece and its function. After we made our decision we reviewed them and he installed them. After the installation was complete he walked us through the operation of the control panels and the features. I could not have had a better experience and recommend him and ADT to anyone looking for a OUTSTANDING security system!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect Your Home?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Installation was easy and quick - the sales representative kept the process easy to understand what I was getting, what was being installed and why I should have what I put in my home. I feel safe and comfortable not only being in my home at night but also when I leave.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Initial ADT Install went smooth. Options were presented and we did not expect that and to pay for the package however it was a good investment for the home. We recommend homeowners do as neighborhoods do change and it help to deter thieves. We appreciate the time the technician took and also explained how to use the toolsets given along with reading materials and contact numbers.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I believe his name was Joseph. Very good in sales and workmanship. Gave us what we wanted and helped us with other items we should consider. I have been a insurance agent for 45 years and he is right up with the best. I would hire him in a heartbeat.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My tires and rims were taken from my car in my driveway on Monday, 10/22. All I wanted was a camera outside of my home. I understand I needed an updated system but the customer service advisor, although really nice, tried to sell me everything but what I actually needed. He had a script and he stuck to it, trying to make the sale. I still do not have an outside camera and that is what I asked for in my initial inquiry.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My 3 year contract was up and I was looking to replace my home security system. After doing my research, I had 3 companies I wanted to check out. I requested a consult on the ADT website with ADT about a home security system. The next day, 10/22/18, I received a phone call from (who I thought was ADT). Never did they tell me they were not ADT, but a retailer who sells for ADT. I started out talking with a gentleman named Terrance. He was very nice and polite and shared what they had to offer. He gave me like $1000 credit on the equipment.

When Terrance asked for my SSN, I asked him why he needed it. He said they said they needed to pull my credit. I told them I did not want them to pull my credit. I said, I have excellent credit and I keep it that way by not allowing people to arbitrarily pull my credit. He said it was not a hard pull and it would only be on my account for about 30 days. I told him that was not true. That it would remain on my account for years. At that point he said he needed to get his supervisor.

Next, I spoke with Crystal (**). She immediately began offering me more credits. She found an old "Columbus Day Special" that she was able to revive for "my benefit." I accepted the credit by saying "Thank you." Then she asked for my SSN. Once again I explained that I did not want to give my SSN, because I didn't want my credit pulled. I offered them another way to get my credit score. She said they just needed to check to see that I have never used them or ADT before.

I told them I could not give my SSN. So then she asked for my DOB. But they never told me they could pull my credit with only DOB. I thought she was just going to use some other system to check to see that I never had ADT before. But they actually pulled my credit with my DOB. (Still don't know how they do that. To me that is as unscrupulous as you giving a company your credit card to make a purchase, and they hang on to it, without your knowledge or consent and makes subsequent purchases.) So they did pull my credit, even when I asked them not to and NEVER GAVE MY SSN!!! They deceived by never telling me they would pull my credit and they deceived me by never telling me they could pull with my DOB and didn't need my SSN.

After that, they asked for a credit card. I asked why again. They said it was for the $99 installation cost. They were going to install all of the equipment for a $99 installation fee and then give me a gift card for $100. I asked, what if I decide not to go with your company? She said it was just a "hold" and that they had the ability to remove it right away if we don't get it. As soon as we ended the conversation, I got an alert that they pulled my credit and that my credit card had been charged.

When the Installer came out, he wanted to start installing the equipment. I said, no, we need to see a contract. We don't even know if we want it. We talked or negotiated for over an hour. Because the free installation system with 1800 credit ended up costing around $5400 according to them. I was not going to pay anywhere near that. So we got down to me paying $553 and it would be payable in 2 installments. So he installed the system. I asked about a contract several times, but he kept saying we will get to that later.

After he finished, (and he never did get the video doorbell camera audio to work) he had me sign some places on a tablet. The only thing showing was the signature line. I said if this is the contract I will need to see it. He said it was not. That this was just to sign that he did do the work and it is complete. I didn't see the contract until he left. Sure enough, the contract numbers were different than what we agreed upon. Even the monthly monitoring was more. I also got another credit card alert showing that he charged the entire amount. At that point it was after 10 pm. I decided there was no way I could be in a contract with this company for 3 years. Nothing they said was true. Every word was a lie. They are very nice, polite liars. Maybe that is acceptable in today's marketplace, but not with me.

The next morning I called to cancel. I was informed that the contract had a cancellation page that we could sign and cancel in 3 days. ADT confirmed. ADT also sympathized greatly with me and said there was nothing they could do about my pulled credit. The reiterated my signing the cancellation page and submitting it within 3 days. They also told me to be sure to keep my fax confirmation page.

I cancelled and followed up immediately. They asked for 24 hours. After 24 hours I called back to confirm cancellation and ask them to come and get the equipment. I already had another company lined up to do a different install. They scheduled me for Saturday. My husband took off of work to be here for them. I called back 3 times, the third time they told us they rescheduled us. I was livid. I said no, we took off of work for this. We have another company coming to install. The Rep just transferred me. So I am informing everyone who will listen. There are entirely too many good companies out here to have to deal with these people. They are unscrupulous for no reason. They knew I would have gone somewhere else if I knew they pulled my credit. I ended up somewhere else anyway.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Technician was honest and efficient. Feel good about the system we have in place and the additional suggestions to add to our system even outside of the ADT scope of products. First step towards getting peace of mind back after break-in at the house.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Best installation service that I have experienced! ADT went above and beyond with next morning installation. ADT provided discounts based on what had happened at our home (suspicious activity; individuals going through our mailbox and taking pictures of our house while at work). Further discount provided based on me being a registered nurse. I will forever appreciate that. Customer service was excellent from the first time I called, each customer rep., agent, or manager.

Our sales advisor/installation technician was awesome, his name is James **, out of the Raleigh, N.C. office. James was down-to-earth, funny, friendly, intelligent, and loves his job/what he does for his customers. He took the time to explain each device and how to work the security system. He deserves a raise, Christmas bonus, more vacation time, something. My wife and I already feel much more safe and secure with the system installed. I have referred ADT to my neighbors, and I will keep ADT for a lifetime (from one house to the next). Thank you again ADT and James! Someone there, please make sure James hears about this.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Thinking about Home Security - stay away from ADT installed by Protect Your Home – Defenders Security. This company is the ultimate bait & switch company that preys on senior citizens and those with good credit. If you have poor credit, they realize they can’t intimidate you and will charge you extra or not do business with you. They advertise one thing, lure you in with low payments and lots of extras, and by the time you’re done you’ve spent thousands! This is how it works.

1. You answer their ad for a free $895 security system with only $27.95 per month monitoring. 2. The first thing they do is ask you for your personal information. Before you know it they ran your credit over the phone and ‘ding you’ for a credit inquiry. 3. Next, they set up an appointment for a ‘security specialist’ to come out to your home. BUT before they do, they want you to pay $99 via charge card over the phone. They tell you it’s for security reasons so not to endanger the tech and to protect your information. But in reality you have already agreed to and committed to buy a security system. 4. The tech shows up on time, unloads all the equipment and shows you what you’re going to get. It looks good with rather impressive load of gear. I wanted to be cautious, so I asked him before he got started if this is going to be for the advertised deal I agreed to. He says “of course it is”.

5. He doesn’t hesitate and starts installing the main panel on your wall. He drills the holes in your wall, runs the wires and within minutes the unit is beeping and flashing and looking good. 6. He then installs ‘one’ door sensor and shows you how well it works. 7. The tech then does a ‘home security evaluation’ by walking around the house, inside and out, point out problems along the way. When done he lays out all the extra equipment he has to really make your home secure. All of which costs extra! This is where it happens! 8. He finally pulls out his price sheet and shows you that if you want the system as he just installed it, the monthly payment is NOT $27.95 but rather $52.95! That includes all the gadgets and features he has been pitching for last 2 hours.

9. When you go nuts like I did, he tells you he can reinstall the cheaper system you get for $27.95 a month with no problem or yank all the stuff off the wall and leave. He then pulls out his I-Pad with an account of all the questions asked during the first call and says you agreed to all these extras during the initial phone call. I did NOT!

After all this, I made the mistake of going with the basic system just to get this nightmare over with. Big mistake. Two weeks go by and you think it's all behind you, when you receive an email telling you that you have pay more for the Armed Response that was included in the original deal. They claim there was a technical error in their digital contract program. If you stop paying they attack your credit like a shark. These guys are worse than the people they are supposed to protect you from. Stay away! Find a honest company, these guys are not it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

It was a long installation but we felt it was thorough and our tech was very nice. We are now trying to work out some first time payment billing errors and statement differences from the price they originally told us. The customer service was great at this company as compared to when we called the corporate ADT office to get quotes.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Bait and Switch. I responded to a TV ad as well as a Flyer sent to me as a new homeowner... The $27.99 rate caught my attention, yet the $99.00 appointment fee they wanted to charge created concern. Quickly in the conversation the Salesperson told me that the system was wireless. Lie #1. The system requires a phone line or digital phone line... Then they wanted to charge me $100 to set up an appointment. After 8 minutes into the conversation when I said Hell No to the Appointment reservation fee, a manager gets on the phone. He tells me it is $48.00 to get the system to be wireless, which all systems are now!!! I bought a system from SHS for $39.97 that was wireless and had a camera as well as No activation or installation and I can control it from my phone...

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

The installer was very professional and knowledgeable. He answered all our questions. He was also very friendly and easy to talk to. The installation went very smoothly. We accidentally set off the alarm today and I immediately was notified by ADT. We are very happy we chose ADT and are very satisfied with it. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

The service was impeccable! The installer arrived at the agreed time and was efficient and professional. He answered all of my questions and was patient in explaining the system. The system was tailored to meet my needs. I feel safe knowing that my home is secure.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Andrew (technician) and Jeremy (sales rep) were very informative, friendly, and efficient with their recommendations for our home. We were not ready to immediately install a system and appreciated Jeremy taking the time to do an assessment first and giving us choices with regards to what he recommended. The ADT system is very user-friendly for not-so-savvy tech folks like me and my partner. We've been very pleased with our system thus far.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The installer, Mike, did an amazing job explaining everything to us. Pointing out areas of concern, all of the differences in the equipment, explaining how everything works, walking us through everything step by step, etc. He is fantastic at his job!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Original call I thought was to ADT themselves but I got the "Defenders" gang. As part of the sales pitch they said based on my excellent credit, "We'll give you $** in credit towards equipment." When the Technician showed up for install the number he had was about 20% less. When I challenged he said, "You'll have to call them back. I cannot change it." Called back and they say they corrected it but still waiting to see. On the installation front the Tech installed the system incorrectly and mis-programmed sensors and the system wouldn't alarm properly if doors opened. Finally they sold the upgraded wireless communication and ADT Pulse System. Only problem is the wireless cell communication system does not work in my area so they sold me a bag of goods. When you call in you get a bunch snotty defensive people who are incompetent. This group is a complete ripoff and should be avoided at all cost.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My installer was excellent!!! He is the reason I decided to go with the ADT system. He was very professional and answered all questions, showed me helpful hints and shortcuts, and addressed every concern I had. I could have gotten lower prices elsewhere, but customer service means a lot to me these days.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

The service was great, installation great. Roderic ** was very nice and knowledgeable of the company's product. The big downfall is the equipment and devices are very expensive. I had to go with bare bones protection which still cost $2000 after the equipment credit. I hope I'll be safe. I live in a very bad neighborhood.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My first encounter was with the rep on phone to set up appt for installation explaining why ADT was different and better than what we had, that went very smooth. Our tech arrived promptly and provided the necessary detail to secure our home. He also explained again the benefits of having ADT. Installation went well, our tech was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. We had a wire that was left out bc he did not have the tubing to secure and hide it, he came back today and finished it. So far everyone and everything has been great!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I found the experience quite nice. Installer was very clear in what he was doing to keep my family safe. I would recommend ADT to whomever would listen. I'm very happy with the choice I made in having this system installed.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We inherited an embedded system at our home. We did not continue the service, but the equipment was never removed. It has been a constant source of grief with beeps, etc. Tonight, it alarmed for over 10 minutes after my kids had gone to bed. I didn't think it would ever stop. I tried to pull the whole thing off the wall without success. I called the number and they told me to "unplug it." There is no plug! It is attached to the wall! My kids still can't sleep because it is beeping every 30 seconds. I called the number and they hung up on me because their advice to "unplug it" didn't work and they "could no longer assist me." CLEAN UP YOUR MESSES ADT! And stop your fear mongering while you're at it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I am pleased with the security product I bought from ADT. The Installer was great, clear, quick, answered all my questions, even made me a video to demonstrate the features of my new security unit. I feel confident in using the system, and happy to have chosen ADT.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This is an exhausting process where the prices seem to change at an instant. Do not believe the price quoted you. It will change (go up) when Defenders get to your home. Please just create a transparent pricing structure that is agreed upon before work is started. Very disappointed with the installation process.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Loved my experience from the sales to installation. Monica was so pleasant and helped me get what I needed out of a security system. She was honest and professional. Technician was knowledgeable and efficient. He was very helpful in picking the equipment for my home.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Excellent customer service from Christopher and Sabrina! They came out to our home, they were very professional and courteous, and respectful. Always made sure they kept everything neat and clean. We were explained about how to use our new system and answered the questions we had. They were very patient with us. They represent your company very well.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Technician was extremely engaging, knowledgeable, explained the ins and outs of the system and represented ADT well in all other aspects of the job. When he was finished with the installation, he made a quick and thorough review of all pertinent materials.

Protect Your Home expert review by Erin Raub

Partners with ADT for monitoring services. Choose from 5 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems are professionally installed with home automation options and 3-year contracts.

• 24-hour installation: Protect Your Home has service centers nationwide, so most homes can have a security system installed in as little as a day.

• Inexpensive installation: When purchased with monitoring, home monitoring equipment is included in the price, so customers only need to pay an inexpensive installation fee.

• Beyond burglary protection: Monitoring services include fire, carbon monoxide, flood, smoke and break-in alarms.

• Theft Protection Guarantee: The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. Interested consumers should contact the company to learn about restrictions.

• Battery backup: When the power goes out, homes still need protection from break-ins or emergencies. With a battery backup system installed with each alarm system, homeowners can leave with confidence, knowing their home is safe and secure.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
    Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protect Your Home Company Information