4.39/5
Based on 205 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home alarm?

Protect Your Home

Protect Your Home is one of the largest home security companies in the world. We have more than a hundred installation branches throughout the U.S. supporting and installing home security systems. Because we have home security system installation service centers across the nation, most locations can have an ADT monitored home security system installed within 24 hours to make sure you get immediate assistance in protecting your home and loved ones. Once your home is equipped with the security system, it is connected to a network of ADT Customer Monitoring Centers nationwide, delivering non-stop security monitoring 365 days a year.

All of our installation technicians are Protect Your Home employees, not third-party contractors, so you can count on your Security Advisor to take the time to set up your system properly, help you understand how the system works, and make sure your home and family are thoroughly protected

View More View More

1163 Protect Your Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

The installation was performed professionally and in a timely manner, the technician was well-mannered, professional and proficient at his job. Customer service was polite and professional as well and helped me as much as they possibly could on obtaining better deals. Would recommend.

Original review: July 17, 2018

They are the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with, because everything they quoted me on the phone or on their advertisement ad were lie. They said all the control panel, sensors and remote and activation will be free but, when they came for $3000 for after I refused to pay they came down to $2000 then $1000. Then when I told them I cannot trust this company they agree to give me everything free. I refused to have them as my security company. Next day when I checked my American Express card there was two chargers for $107.06 and $52.99. After calling three times in two weeks period they never credited my account so I had to put stop payment to it. Don't take my word for it. Just set up an appointment. You will experience how dishonest and untrustworthy they are. Shame on them.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 17, 2018

The sales representative that I spoke with was very friendly and knowledgeable. I appreciated his input and details into what we might need for our security system. The technician, Ryan, was awesome! He was very efficient in his installation and took the time to make sure I understood exactly how the system worked, and he took the time to answer my many questions. Also, we had an issue with one of our cameras not connecting, so he came back the next day to get it all fixed because he knew we were leaving to go out of town. I would definitely recommend ADT to anyone looking to install a security system.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Installation was thorough and thus took all day, activation was fair but complete, and demoing the system was complete. ADT provides excellent up-to-date security components with great customer service. With ADT, we feel more secure. The only complain I had was some of the attitude of some sales representative: one rep was defensive, draconian, demeaning, and interfering with family members, while the other was excellent, professional, and courteous.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was very pleased that the service tech was able to come out and do the installation the same day that I called. He was knowledgeable and able to answer all my questions. I am happy with what was done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect Your Home?

Original review: July 9, 2018

I think most of these reviews are lies - there are other reviews online that are consistently one stars for ADT or would be lower if allowed. This is a horrible company. They overcharge consistently for absolutely no service. Our alarm system went offline because of phone issues & they did absolutely nothing except tell us it was a phone issue & charged us $184 anyway for labor. Sadly most of these alarm companies are horrible - but ADT is definitely one of the worst.

Original review: July 5, 2018

The first person I spoke to on the phone was very knowledgeable and answered nearly every question I had. He was not pushy and did not attempt to upsell me, but instead walked me through the process. When the installer came out, he too was very friendly and professional, explaining what each device was, and talking about how our existing equipment could be used, or credited. He did not come out to sell anything, but was there as a technical resource and installation expert. Once we agreed to the security package, he completed the installation in about an hour, detailing how charges were applied, and what it would cost in the end. It truly was a great experience, one that is quite uncommon in today's world.

Original review: July 4, 2018

The installation and activation was very simple. Our technician was very patient with us and explained everything clearly. The technician was professional, polite and very easy to talk to. He answered all our questions. The installation went very smooth and fast. Customer service is amazing!

Original review: July 2, 2018

I was very pleased with the install and the quality of the product. Our technician was friendly, courteous, and helpful. However I was very disappointed to discover that the price quoted to me over the phone was nowhere near what I ended up having to pay. Our monthly fee was more than double what we were quoted and we were told that the credit we had for extra items would cover anything we needed, yet that also was very inaccurate as we had to pay $1600 more for extras.

Original review: June 26, 2018

The installation was performed efficiently, smoothly, and the installation representative explained how the system works. I would recommend this security system to my friends and relatives. I feel much more safer in my home now that I have this new system.

Original review: June 25, 2018

The technician was very kind and detailed in his explanation of how the service works. He was very patient with two old ladies who live alone. He was very professional. The system is amazing. My 90 year old mother can control it with ease. She said after the installation she had the most peaceful nights sleep she experienced in a very long time. I rest easy while I am at work knowing she can reach the police or an ambulance with the touch of a button. Thank you ADT.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I rarely write reviews but this is the worst business I’ve encountered in awhile. I’ve had several problems with MY system and they’ve serviced it four times. They only let you out of your contract if the same issue occurs more than three times, yet I was on my fourth and they wouldn’t honor a release. Customer service is very rude, aggressive and I’ve been hung up on. Item return and termination deadlines are very strict— they won’t let you out of contract or return an item past one day, for any reason. Asking to speak to a manager will result in “I don’t have a manager”. I strongly recommend considering other reputable security companies before you sign with Defenders ADT.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Install was only bad part. Holes in wall. Only offered a new box to cover up holes when I made a big deal about how a tech should ask you what service you want before they drill holes in the wall. I wanted my service through my telephone line. He installed for cell towers/wireless. Had to remove and I had to repair holes.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We are so happy to have our new alarm system. Our tech was Ryan and he was very informative about the products available to us. He was a pleasure to work with on our new install. We feel we got everything we were looking for plus a few things that were suggested to us that we also purchased. Our tech was very respectful and professional working with us to get exactly what we needed. Thank you.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Great Job, technician was exactly on time, very nice and friendly, he walked through the house with me and explained my house risk room by room, then he did his assessment for each room. I watched a video about the difference in the smoke detectors, we went over his assessment and he explained why he chose what he did on the assessment, we talked about my options, we did the paperwork and he got right to work. I have my 6 year old granddaughter every weekend, she feels very safe and this is the first time she went to her room and played by herself, I usually have to sit in her room with her while she plays. She told me to go in the living room, she wanted to play by herself and to close her door but leave it cracked, I did and she played in her room and she never called me and asked me to sit with her while she played.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Security Consultant aka Sales rep was polite and professional. Tried to make sales beyond specified needs. Billing was wrong as they charged for cellular installation while my installation was using land phone. Since the installation is done by vendor and not ADT there is always disconnect in communications

Original review: June 7, 2018

My husband recently passed away so to better insurance my safety I found ADT. From the first phone call made to the installation was wonderful. Feeling secure in my home without my husband of 36 years allows me to have peace of mind.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Requested ADT to start monitoring previously installed equipment on a new house purchase. My daughter was there on site. She was told that they needed an initial payment where she used my credit card to do so. As it turns out, Protect Your Home who does the install for ADT, ending up charging over $1200.00 for the installation. When I challenged this expense, the customer service representative was very rude, and told me that the charge was for additional equipment. I asked what the additional equipment consisted of, and she responded window monitors. $1200.00 for a total of 10 windows?

I also challenged that I did not approve of these charges and how could they use my credit card, when I wasn't present? They responded that they don't look at identification when getting a credit card payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor regarding this practice, and after about 8 minutes on hold, another Rude person got on the line and basically said if I have an issue, talk it over with my daughter, not them! These folks will lose my business and I will go with someone else. It is obvious that this company is customer friendly before you make your purchase and completely hostile after the sale. Buyers Beware!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

He was incredibly thoughtful and considerate in making recommendations that truly fit my needs. I was in an incredibly vulnerable state of mind due to a robbery and home invasion and could have been easily taken advantage of by someone led honest. I couldn't be happier.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The technician was very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Whomever he called at the main office was exceptionally rude on the phone however. I did find the "sales offer" I received before contacting ADT was misleading and the equipment I did purchase over that "package" was high.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Nice system. The upgrades to the standard items offered added quite a bit to the cost. I expected a $99 system with 3 doors covered and some key fobs and $30 a month. They suggested a $7500 upgrade with a $70 a month. We opted for $1200 upgrade with $40 a month. When it was all added up it came to $52 a month. By then we were too far in to back out and accepted the system.

Original review: June 3, 2018

It was all easy and painless. I didn't know that it would take quite so long for installation so I would inform people when they go to set up installation. Both technicians (one being a trainee) were friendly, patient, knowledgeable. When they left, I only had one mishap and my husband and I figured it out within seconds. It was operator error, not equipment. Would recommend ADT/Protect Your Home.

Original review: June 3, 2018

It was a very smooth switch over to ADT for: 1. Competitive Price. 2. New Equipment. 3. New Technology. 4. Well Known Company in the country. 5. No Hidden Cost at the time of installation. 6. Expecting an excellent service.

Original review: May 31, 2018

ADT was quick and responsive to my call to have my system moved to the new house. Both technicians showed up on time and work diligently to get the job done in a timely manner. When installing the system at the new house Cody was very thorough to make sure all of the sensors still worked and walked through the house to let me know where the highest danger points were and worked with me to plan how to protect the home the best.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Technician was very thorough and detailed oriented. He explained everything very well and in detail and answered all our questions. The only downside was that it took too long and would have been better if explanation was given only on the products we were installing. Customer service is good so far. The whole installation took 30 minutes but the explanation took 4 hours! We are returning customers and feel ADT keeps us safe and secure.

Original review: May 30, 2018

These guys did everything they were supposed to. However, they need more freedom to be able to tell me, the customer, if I NEED a product instead of just trying to sell me everything. Very friendly service. The technicians did not let me know that they were coming or when they would be there.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Our technician was friendly, professional and knowledgeable. He helped us make the best decisions and get the best coverage on a budget. He was patient, took his time and conveyed a considerable amount of knowledge. Would definitely recommend based on this experience.

Original review: May 29, 2018

When I scheduled my appointment for a repair of the system I was told I have the choice between 8-12 and 12-5. Ok, that's a big time frame, but most places are able to narrow the window a bit the day of service. My air conditioning services does, product delivery from stores do and cable companies all try to help the consumer instead of having them sit around all day. Particularly when schedules are made up of which houses will be serviced first and last for the day. Anyway, I was told ADT cannot give a more specific time of service - not even a 2 or 3 hour window- on the day of service.

People got mad in the past because they were told the techs would be at their house between a certain time and then the techs changed the order of service and the people got mad. So, instead of fixing it on ADT's end the simple solution was to make the customer wait around for a longer period of time and not helping the customer out. Why not have the techs call in when they change their schedule so the customer in that situation can be notified instead of making all customers wait around for 4-5 hours? Just not customer service oriented. So, I think I will look for another company that is more customer oriented instead of company convenience oriented.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Efficient installation performed by two professionals who explained what they were doing and how it would protect my home as well as how much it will cost to have it installed and monitored. I'm happy with the product and do feel more secure.

Original review: May 28, 2018

James was very prompt and courteous. Explained things very clearly. Treated me with dignity and respect. Although the process was lengthy, I was very impressed with his professionalism. Would recommend him to others. Cleaned up after himself, so I didn't have to do it.

Protect Your Home expert review by Erin Raub

Partnered with ADT for monitoring services, Protect Your Home serves more than 200,000 customers each year. The national company has service centers coast-to-coast that give new customers rapid access to a new home security system.

• 24-hour installation: Protect Your Home has service centers nationwide, so most homes can have a security system installed in as little as a day.

• Inexpensive installation: When purchased with monitoring, home monitoring equipment is included in the price, so customers only need to pay an inexpensive installation fee.

• Beyond burglary protection: Monitoring services include fire, carbon monoxide, flood, smoke and break-in alarms.

• Theft Protection Guarantee: The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. Interested consumers should contact the company to learn about restrictions.

• Battery backup: When the power goes out, homes still need protection from break-ins or emergencies. With a battery backup system installed with each alarm system, homeowners can leave with confidence, knowing their home is safe and secure.

• Best for: Homeowners and hands-off consumers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
    Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protect Your Home Company Information