4.47/5
Based on 192 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home alarm?

Protect Your Home

Protect Your Home is one of the largest home security companies in the world. We have more than a hundred installation branches throughout the U.S. supporting and installing home security systems. Because we have home security system installation service centers across the nation, most locations can have an ADT monitored home security system installed within 24 hours to make sure you get immediate assistance in protecting your home and loved ones. Once your home is equipped with the security system, it is connected to a network of ADT Customer Monitoring Centers nationwide, delivering non-stop security monitoring 365 days a year.

All of our installation technicians are Protect Your Home employees, not third-party contractors, so you can count on your Security Advisor to take the time to set up your system properly, help you understand how the system works, and make sure your home and family are thoroughly protected

Read More Read More

Last updated: May 26, 2018

1133 Protect Your Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 26, 2018

ADT appeared to set off a false alarm towards the last day of my test week 05/25/2018 at 8:15pm E.S.T. (to not get the police involved, since they would not be called this particular week) to scare me into more business and probably motivate the neighborhood into wanting a system from ADT. At my home the salesman was trying to sell me sensors for the basement windows, I only bought one for the interior basement door. The alarm went off only on that interior basement door. No signs of tampering! Even the neighborhood kids figured that scam out. In billing I am charged a half month bill. No one can justify along with a expected $52.99 advance bill. For almost 40 years I have known ADT has been the #1 security business in all of the U.S.A., why you doing this?

Original review: May 24, 2018

It was great, the tech came and we were leaving to take our kids on a outing and we totally forgot he was coming. He hooked everything up really fast and did a great job. It was much appreciated!! He explained everything to us and got us on our way.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm & Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have received great service from the customer service agent who really understood my concerns all the way to the installer, he was on time and completed everything in about an hour. Walked me through the system and how to use it. I am very grateful to everyone for their assistance.

Original review: May 21, 2018

installation was done with efficiency, good instruction and thorough detail. Technician arrived one day after we made inquiry per the internet and since we had been ADT customers 10 years previous, account was given special attention. Signs for advertising our newly purchased, activated alarm system were placed both in front and backyard areas.

Original review: May 21, 2018

New install after home robbery - Everything seemed to go well with the install, and the two guys were very diligent and personable. The only issue I have is about the $100 gift card, in that there is a $4.95 fee to get it, meaning the card is only worth $95.05.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect Your Home?

Original review: May 17, 2018

I love my ADT system! I recently moved to a new home in South Carolina and needed a new alarm system and my childhood friend Christine from Florida who is a new build team lead for ADT recommended her company's home alarm system. I spoke with Christine who amazed me on her knowledge of the system and what I would need for my own personalized protection. I couldn’t believe that even though we lived states apart (FL to SC) she was still able to set me up flawlessly without any complications. She was very respectful and mindful of my situation and how much I was prepared to spend and could afford each month. She made sure I was happy in every aspect and it felt like she held my hand through a rough time in my life and made me feel safe! I highly respect her work and how she made me feel. I have never experienced a better sales professional.

The sales tech who installed my system was also amazing, respectful and knowledgeable. He didn’t leave until I was 100% happy with the system and how it worked. The system is easy to use and I love that I can use the ADT app through my cell phone to make sure my doors are locked and alarm is set. Till this day I still receive phone calls from Christine making sure I am using the system to its full potential. Thank you Mrs. Christine ** for your amazing hard work and keeping my family safe!

Original review: May 16, 2018

The technician was the best ever. He made sure that everything was well put together. Before he left my house he kept on checking the doors and windows to make sure that everything was working and secure.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Both the Installation representative and the representative whom I spoke with on the phone were both really understanding and patient with my questions. I am very happy with my security system. I finally feel safe!

Original review: May 14, 2018

The technician/ sales representative was very informative and helpful; however, I did feel pressured into buying items that I clearly knew I could not afford and was sort of made to feel bad (for lack of words) for not being able to afford the add ons.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Technician was prompt, knowledgeable, friendly and courteous. He was well prepared to present what options were available. The installation did not take too long and he showed us how to use the keypad. We are happy with our choice of using ADT.

Original review: May 11, 2018

The experience was very understandable and the technician was considerate of my needs and wants regarding security. He was very kind and thoughtful. Indeed very clear and efficient with their work, Thanks!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

First thing they did was to take their shoes off. Told them they would be better off wearing booties. Very polite, knew what they were doing, explained sys. Very happy with service. I am really very happy! :)

Original review: May 10, 2018

Defenders DBA Protect Your Home are complete scam artists preying on the people who don't know any better. Their representative Cody **, came to the house of my elderly parents and promised them the wireless plan with ADT Pulse for the same price as a landline plan. He installed the Pulse apps on their phones for them and everything worked, for exactly the three days it took for the contract to become binding. He then turned off the Pulse service and pointed to the fact that he hadn't ever checked that box on the contract. As such, the company had refused to make it right by saying it's not in the contract, a contract that he had my elderly, trusting parents sign on his cellphone with incredibly small font by ensuring them that it was on the up and up.

Do not use this company unless you want to be ripped off. They do not care that their salespeople blatantly lie to customers about what they are getting and have very clearly demonstrated no interest in making things right. They simply say that you can cancel, but that there is a 75% cancellation penalty. The fact that these charlatans are still in business is absurd. Do yourself a favor and don't throw your money away, go with someone who actually cares about their customers.

Original review: May 6, 2018

David the installer was very knowledgeable about the security system, answered all our questions, great suggestions on what we wanted and needed. Very professional. Helped us understand how to use the camera, keyboard and helped programmed our phones. A great relief!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Elliot, presented himself very well. He answered all of our questions, he knew the product and explained the options that best fit our needs. Elliot also worked with us to achieve the best value to meet our security concerns.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The technician is very friendly and patient. He answers all my questions clearly and gives good advice. He teaches me how to use the system and the instruction is very simple and clear. He is also easy to work with when designing the system for my house.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Thank you for having a very knowledgeable and friendly rep. Norris left us understanding the system like a pro. If we had any questions he took the time to answer them so we could understand. Thank you very much. Pleasure knowing that we feel a lot safer with ADT having our back along with a premier dealer.

Original review: April 30, 2018

My sales and install experience were outstanding. The ADT technician who did the install was especially helpful in making sure the install went smoothly and we knew how to use the system before he left. I would recommend the service to others.

Original review: April 26, 2018

The front door sensor was a bit too sensitive: there were several false alarms from people just touching the doorknob, without actually opening the door. (And it's a big heavy door that stays firmly in place.) The folks who called to respond to each alarm were prompt, courteous and efficient. The technician who installed the system (Jonathan) was absolutely fantastic! I needed the installation done quickly, because there had been several break-ins by drug addicts who left messes, including used hypodermic needles, in the house. I was due to leave town a few days after the break-ins were discovered. Jonathan worked from 3:00 PM to 9:30 PM on a Friday, and came back Saturday to finish the installation. He even gave me a ride to my hotel Friday night, because he was worried about me walking there after dark. I want to shout out a big Thank You to Jonathan!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I was profoundly pleased with my installation process, even though my equipment cost was much more than I anticipated. Both installers were friendly, professional and had an excellent knowledge of the product. My questions were answered quickly and thoroughly. If asked, I would certainly recommend ADT to a friend.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The guy that installed my alarm was a wonderful person and he went over everything with me and was very helpful. I had to talk to a lady yesterday on 10 April about my Certificate she wasn't very nice.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Happy with the techs that came. Nice and respectful. Equipment was a little pricey. Techs were informative, explained everything they did. Showed me how to operate system with explanations. Helped me to add app to cell. Cleaned up after install! Overall no problems.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Everything went as described by the phone conversation with ADT. I had a problem with my voice command on the remote and they came out the next day and replaced the main panel which corrected the problem. Employees were very nice and understanding.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My installer Carl was honest and did an awesome job. He was patient and explained everything about my system. He helped me set everything up for my wife who wasnt there for the installation. The sales team sold me misinformation about the "deal" I was getting. They told me I was getting equipment that the installers dont even have and told me all of my costs would be covered when that was far from the truth.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I was very unhappy with the technician and he was trying to sell me more than your advertisement. Selling me stuff that I did not need and I told him to take all the equipment out of my home. Then he got a supervisor and I was able to negotiate the deal on my needs.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I was completely satisfied with my experience with this company. I called to have an alarm system installed after receiving threats to my family. The normal wait time would have been about a week but as soon as they found out my situation they got someone out the next day. The man who installed my system was super professional and also scanned the house for any spots that could be weaknesses. They helped me pick the system that would give me the best protection and practically bent over backwards to help me afford it because my family was also going through financial difficulties at the time.

Original review: March 29, 2018

The technician was punctual and very knowledgeable. The products where appropriate and functional. The experience was pleasant. There was some concern and confusion about certain explanation about the Gift Card. There was a miscommunication about our date to have the monthly payment due date. It left a certain discomfort for a short while, but the overall experience was great.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I spent a lot. A lot on a system, installation and monthly monitoring by an ADT partner, DEFENDERS, INC. d/b/a PROTECT YOUR HOME. We had the monthly monitoring service for a few years, but decided not to renew when the contract expired about two years ago. My obligation was paid as agreed and in full. Should be the end of the story, but Defenders decided to charge me $25 recently. Since I do not have service with them nor have had any for over 2 years, I contacted Wells Fargo and have them reverse the charge, which they did after making contact with Defenders. What's worse, and much worse, is that Defenders decided to contract a collection agency by the name of McCarthy, Burgess & Wolff - oh, and get this, to collect $419.85. Of course I immediately contacted the collection agency and they are contacting Defenders to require that they support their claim.

Of course Defenders will not be able to do so, but who knows where this will head. Yes, of course I will contact the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, and file a complaint and review on ADT's website. This is precisely the way that consumers experience very harmful reports to all 3 credit bureaus. If that happens I will then have to pursue Court action to recover from some very harmful tactics on the part of a company that professes to "protect" you. My advice from this experience is to stay clear, very clear, of a company like this.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Very pleased with all services ADT provided. From the installer, who was very knowledgeable, explaining in detail of what we needed and what we could afford. No pressure at all. Showed us how to use the system. The tech was just as helpful. Knew their Job!.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Do NOT deal with this company! It has taken over 15 months, numerous phone calls, lots of stress and aggravation for ADT to stop billing old address; still do not have a working system in new location yet billed for 18 months of service. Told I cannot cancel contract and will continue to be billed for the balance of 3 year contract regardless of system working properly. Also told, ADT has no record of numerous service requests and are not capable of monitoring system to know if it is functioning properly. I have no confidence system will work in an emergency, if repaired. But do know I will never use ADT again after this contract expires.

Protect Your Home expert review by Erin Raub

Partnered with ADT for monitoring services, Protect Your Home serves more than 200,000 customers each year. The national company has service centers coast-to-coast that give new customers rapid access to a new home security system.

• 24-hour installation: Protect Your Home has service centers nationwide, so most homes can have a security system installed in as little as a day.

• Inexpensive installation: When purchased with monitoring, home monitoring equipment is included in the price, so customers only need to pay an inexpensive installation fee.

• Beyond burglary protection: Monitoring services include fire, carbon monoxide, flood, smoke and break-in alarms.

• Theft Protection Guarantee: The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. Interested consumers should contact the company to learn about restrictions.

• Battery backup: When the power goes out, homes still need protection from break-ins or emergencies. With a battery backup system installed with each alarm system, homeowners can leave with confidence, knowing their home is safe and secure.

• Best for: Homeowners and hands-off consumers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
    Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protect Your Home Company Information