3.41/5

27 Sherwin-Williams Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

Was in store on 6/4/19 to order a part for my company sprayer and I was dealing with THE STORE MANAGER. I told him what I wanted and he said I will have to order this part in and it may be in this coming Friday or Monday next week. Well it’s Monday and I call to see where my product was and the lady told me that the manager was very busy to talk to me about my order and said he did not know. I really wanted this product I asked for on Thursday for him to ORDER!!! Will never step foot in this place again. The manager was a **. He was on his phone the whole time I was in store getting my stuff that he really never ordered.

Original review: May 2, 2019

When I went in to the Dayton Mall store the other day, I asked for a sample to try a color. The salesclerk told me to be sure to CLEAN THE PAINT OFF (after drying) before applying the paint we choose! I’ve never heard this before!! I verified what he was saying “So you’re telling me I have to use a chemical on my freshly primed drywall to REMOVE the sample color, even if I use that same color?!” He said yes, that it’s not a good quality paint so it bubbles or crumbles off under the better paint later. I verified what he was saying with the other clerk to be sure he wasn’t New & didn’t know what he was talking about. But she confirmed it, although she seemed uncomfortable. He then proceeded to charge me $9 for a quart of what he just told me is BAD paint! That’s $36 per gallon for BAD PAINT! I can get EXCELLENT paint from another brand for less than that! Now I’m afraid to use their paint after I already paid for the sample!

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently made a review and I was very upset. I was not getting any help from this company. After many attempts I did get my situation resolved by the District manager Monica **. She was very understanding and provided great customer service.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Provided our HOA paint requirements and supposedly provided me with the paint. Was nowhere near the paint that it should have been. Do not use Sherwin-Williams for any of your paint requirements. I took a picture in to the store and they did nothing about the paint they sold me. Poor customer service at its best!!!

Resolution response: April 19, 2019

Sherwin Williams stood by their product and fully resolved the issue with the exterior paint on my house. Thank you Sherwin Williams.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I spent thousands of dollars painting both the interior and exterior of my house with the highest quality and highest priced Sherwin-Williams paint. Their Duration brand is warrantied for life. Just a few years after having my house painted, the exterior of my house looks horrible. Apparently there is a process called efflorescence that has turned the color of my dark olive colored house into a yellowy mess. I reached out to Sherwin-Williams more than a week ago to try and resolve my issue and am still waiting to hear back from someone who can help me resolve this situation. Please do not spend the extra money for what Sherwin-Williams calls their best paint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherwin-Williams?

Original review: March 18, 2019

I owned a painting business and used Sherwin-Williams paints for many homes before switching to Benjamin Moore. Medium, muted shades would frequently take 3 or 4 coats to cover, sometimes doubling labour costs. Had many instances of interior paint bubbling, paint wiping off on water dampened clothes months after paint cured, and mis-tints. Sherwin would always suggest it was not their fault.

I switched to Benjamin Moore and these problems disappeared. Sherwin-Williams paint is just not good. Pay a little more for Benjamin Moore save on labour - the real time and expense. Also, warning contractors, if you sign commercial accounts without guarantor information, Sherwin will attempt to claim you are personally liable by stating they 'don't' approve corporate accounts and that they are material suppliers under the construction lien act. Bait and switch sales approach.

Original review: March 5, 2019

It is virtually impossible to apply this product reasonably as it dries far too fast. You cannot create an even coat with either a brush or roller. Within seconds you can no longer touch the area where paint was just applied. It is impossible to create a nice even coat. I am not a professional but have painted many houses. When discussing this with their representative I found him to be rather arrogant. I am abandoning this paint for my project and purchasing replacement product from a company other than Sherwin-Williams. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I went into my local Sherwin-Williams and asked to have a sample pot mixed. The sales girl told me they only have satin in samples. I told her satin wouldn't work because I wanted the sheen to be flat. She said they now have a matte finish that is flat, but it's washable. She talked me into buying a gallon of it. I got it home and tested it on my wall, only to find out the sheen of the matte is not at all flat, it's as reflective as satin! I'm so disappointed that I spent so much money on a gallon of paint that is not at all what I wanted.

I contacted Sherwin-Williams customer service to see if they would be willing to help out in this situation. They didn't get back to me for 4 days, and only after I contacted them a second time. They said they were escalating my issue to a district manager who would be contacting me. After nearly 2 weeks I still haven't heard from them. I'm surprised at the poor knowledge of products the staff in the store had and the terrible customer service offered after the sale. Sherwin-Williams claims to be and charges for exceptional quality, but I found the opposite to be true. I ended up using Behr Marquee. Their product was exactly what I wanted and so easy to work with. I won't be wasting time/ money with Sherwin-Williams ever again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

To begin with, the clerk who assisted did not seem knowledgeable and was difficult to communicate with. We requested flat paint and she mixed satin. The Super Paint we bought is anything but. The spreadability is limited and the shrinkage is ridiculous. A gallon that was supposed to cover more than 300 sq ft covered about 250. We had to go back and buy more paint to finish and then give the whole thing a second coat due to the primer showing through. This would have been a $30 job at True Value and instead cost over $100. I'm going back to my old brand.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have been painting for 30 years. I had 4 Ben Moore colors matched, 3 weren't even close! Now I have 2 houses with green hue trim and doors. These color formulas are pre-programmed into their store computer. Was told by store manager, Sherwin-Williams does not make the correct bases, that's why their computer matches are so far off!! Now I have to go through the state attorney general's office and Federal Trade Commission to force them to make good. Very deceptive sales practices. ➖ 5 stars. Sales rep implied I should lie to the customer!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I bought 1 litre of paint for one wall. The colour that was mixed was not the colour on the paint chip I chose. I could not use it. I bought 4 litres of another colour to paint a small room. After 2 coats I could still see every lap mark. I have been painting my own home for over 50 years and even the cheapest cover coat paint I bought was better than the stuff I paid almost $90.00 for last week. This was the first time I have used Sherwin-Williams paint and it sure will be the last. I gave it 1 star because I could not leave the star box empty.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

WOW your Duration paint is crap. How do you get away with selling it. The coverage is horrible. 3 coats over a green trim and it is still bleeding through. I told the Customer that this paint was crap but she listened to the false reviews. Now she's gonna spend twice as much on paint and labor cause I'm not doing 2 extra coats for free. Tomorrow morning I am buying a sample of MARQUEE and doing a section for her. I know it will cover. Hope they will take this crappy paint back so she can get something that will cover. Shame on you Sherwin-Williams.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Sherwin-Williams has far exceeded my expectations against time, wear and elements. It has been pleasant. It always goes on smooth and the colors are true to the samples. It does not clump as well. The cost can be exuberant for small projects though. Some finishes could be offered with the ability to be washed. Aside from that, I believe they are far ahead of other brands. Overall, I like the durability and choices of color. I also like their personal service and help choosing the right paint colors and finishes for small and large projects. Also its ability to get in and out quickly.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I like that Sherwin-Williams has very good coverage. I enjoyed working with it, it's not too thick and not too thin so it covers well. It has nice look and easy to apply. This paint DID everything I needed it to and it is holding up very well over time. Other than price being too high this paint is great.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I selected Sherwin-Williams for the price. I expected it to be able to hold out longer than any other paint brand. It has enough paint for me to be able to use for a while without buying more. It's as good as I expected it to be for my usage.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was searching for information about paint colors that I had in mind and came across this brand. Sherwin-Williams appeared to have the colors that I wanted and they received good reviews. I purchased and used and it totally met my expectations. Sherwin-Williams offer great paint colors. The paint is well made and has a durable finish. The colors stay looking great for a long time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I like how the customer service representatives at Sherwin-Williams are very knowledgeable about colors that match with each other. They are also very honest about colors that don't go well together and recommend me colors suiting my tastes. The customer service is great and I can tell that the store values their customers very much. I brought them a color sample I liked from a different store that they didn't have on the shelves, so the staff at Sherwin-Williams matched it for me in-store and made a sample for me.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I picked this brand due to reputation, quality, price point and color selection as well as due to family and friend suggestions. The quality, color options and customer service at their retail stores are great. The price point is in middle of the road and the quality is among some of the best brands of paint. This paint meets all of my expectations.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

The paints at Sherwin-Williams are quick dry, beautiful color, transparent, affordable, durable, blended in good, great for cover-ups. They was able to copy from the color book I took into the store. It is transparent so it will easily change colors to match whatever furniture is placed in the room. I would like to improve the places that it is available such as being on the shelves in different stores and not just the Sherwin-Williams paint stores. But other than that, the brand worked really well.The curing time was really fast. Everyone was very satisfied with the outcome. Overall the experience was great. I plan to use the same brand in the other rooms of the house.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I selected the paint brand because we used the company at my old job so I was familiar. My overall experience was great and customer service was awesome. The company met my expectations definitely. The pricing is affordable to almost any household budget and the colors they offer is wide. You can also custom make your own color and they have experts there to help you along the way for any task you are trying to do. I needed a custom color and it was hard to make and I like how attentive the employees were and how there is always someone there that wants to help you with whatever you need done. I like the viscosity of the paint they make. I also enjoy the quality of the paint as well and I find it to be an excellent choice when it comes to trying to find a quality paint that is going to look good with whatever project you have to do.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

The last paint I have bought was from Sherwin-Williams to paint my kitchen. I used the online tool to help me decide which color would go best with my decor. I took a picture of my kitchen and uploaded it to the website app and played around with a few different colors, found the best match for me. Went to the Sherwin-Williams store and bought the color, came home and painted. The app tool was spot on & proved to be very useful because I love my kitchen colors and will continue to for years to come! SHERWIN-WILLIAMS has far exceeded my expectations and I feel like they have perfected their craft. My experience was delightful and I never dreamed it would be as easy as it was to find the perfect color for my kitchen. I am a satisfied customer and I will continue to use them for all my painting needs as well as give them my recommendations to family and friends.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

This brand is one I always purchase. They have a variety of different colors and different styles of paint for certain activities. For example industrial paint and alkyd gloss paint used for the household. This paint brand provides all the paint styles I need to do any work from projects to regularly painting something and it's offered at an affordable price I can tolerate.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Excellent coverage and return features, great selection and colors to choose from. Also really covers the best of any paint that I have used before and I really liked all the special features. The best thing that I liked the most is that it dried faster than the rest. Hence with this paint I met all my expectations. A wonderful overall experience with this product.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Sherwin-Williams is my go-to store for all my paint needs. It is a couple of blocks from my home and the paint is dependable, with great service. I'm more than satisfied with Sherwin Williams for so many things. Employees were informative and led me through all the steps required to complete my project. I left with my various paints, brushes, rollers, and tools, so I would be prepared for every step. I painted an accent wall in my home, using Sherwin-Williams textured paint system. It involved 4 different paint coatings, several specialized rollers, and was a bit pricey. The end product was better than expected.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

First and foremost, the store is only a few miles from my home. For over twenty-five years, I have purchased the Sherwin-Williams brand and have been very pleased with the color, quality and durability of the paint. Having three children plus now grandchildren, the walls and color have held up well considering the abuse they have taken over the years. It is easy and great to go back for new paint projects and touch up paint and having it match perfectly. They can improve if they lower the price, however overall it is worth it and especially enjoy the longevity when you do the painting. The store is several miles away from my home, but other than this I will continue to purchase my product from them. Although I have tried other brands, my favorite is still Sherwin Williams.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I could buy this paint on a modest budget, and it was good quality, I am a first time painter and homeowner, the paint went on the walls very easily. I generally didn't know what I was doing but I had a great experience. It was extremely simple to pick out the right type of paint and use.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have been using this brand paint for many years now because it was washable and fairly priced. I have tried others but not so happy with them. To me this is the best brand of paint by far. The paint itself was not too thick or thin and it went on very well. It covers in one coat and goes on very smoothly. There is nothing I think that should be improved on the brand of paint except maybe sell them in smaller containers.

Sherwin-Williams expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

The company manufactures stains and supplies and is one of the best-known brands in the world. In fact, its paint is used on major monuments such as the White House, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hollywood Sign.

• Sherwin-Williams paint: Sherwin-Williams offers many products for your painting project, including brushes, rollers, tape and accessories. Select one of its many primers, each formulated for different surfaces. Then choose from interior or exterior latex, oil-based or enamel paints. You can also purchase wood stains and sealers, spray paints, concrete and masonry finishes, and more.

• Sherwin-Williams colors: Sherwin-Williams prides itself on its vast color selection. With more than 1,500 paint colors, you’re sure to find one for your project. The website has several color selection tools, including a visualization tool that allows you to upload a photo of your room and click to change the colors of the walls.

• Paint calculator: The Sherwin-Williams website has a paint calculator to help you figure out how much paint you need for your project. Enter the total height and width of the wall you’re painting and tally the number of windows and doors for a quick calculation. You can also do a custom calculation that includes the texture of your wall and takes into account how many baseboards and crown moldings you have.

• ColorSnap in-home consultation: If you need help choosing colors for your project, Sherwin-Williams offers an in-home consultation with a professional. For $95 you get a pre-visit phone call to help the consultant learn about your style, a 90-minute visit, a $50 gift card to use toward your paint purchase, and a project shopping list.

• PaintPerks program: If you plan to purchase a lot of paint or supplies, sign up for the free PaintPerks rewards program. You can earn coupons and rewards after you’ve spent enough money to qualify.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Sherwin-Williams Company Information