3.12/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Sherwin-Williams

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Not reliable. Don't expect them to be open when promised. I called at lunch time to confirm their hours. They said they close at 7pm. I said I would be by after work. Stopped by at 5:45 after work and lights are out and the door is locked. Tried to call. No answer. Me and another customer hung out to dry. Today was also the last day of the 40% off sale. How convenient.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Purchased Snap Dry on the salesman's recommendation. As a homeowner and boat owner I have painted with many products. I attempted to paint our front door with this stuff. I had the door off and on saw horses. The first attempt was with the recommended foam roller. The paint was thick and sticky. I could not get it to roll out without leaving those edge of the roller tracks. That was bad enough. It dried in a horrible orange peel finish. I had to strip it off because as I wet sanded it it had poor adhesion. The second try with a 2 inch Purdy brush. Never finished because you can't keep a wet edge.

It dries thick and fast. I thinned it slightly with a very small amount of water. Still couldn't keep a wet edge. Temp was mid sixties inside. No luck with 15 airless tip either. More orange peel. Now I am out of paint, stripper, and time. I still have some primer and sandpaper left. I will get more stripper and a different paint. A thoroughly exasperating waste of time and money.

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

We are upscale painting contractors in Southern AZ. SW paint, like a lot of things these days has gone from great to **! Especially their upper grades like A100, Duration, emerald (interior and exterior). We no longer use these products. They have flashing (sheen discrepancies problems) and line out whether rolled or sprayed. This is never good on a $4 million dollar home!

Mixing paint back in the day (we’ve been doing this for 38 years), clerks had to eye match most colors and use a pull tinter for stock colors. Now it’s all computer scanned and there’s no skill or knowledge involved, a minimum wage job at best. Most of these kids wouldn’t know the first thing when product problems arise and the reps won’t tell you that corporate took the chemical guts out of a product line to save 5 cents a gallon (millions of dollars internationally) for fear of losing their job or having to reimburse us to make it right. It’s kinda a shame because at one time we used a lot of Sherwin-Williams product. Buyer beware!!! (

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

We decided to get an in-home consultation before painting our house. We knew we wanted to add a bit of color but had no idea how or what colors to chose from. Nicole came over with her millions of colors and very much knowledge on everything! She was sweet, caring, and listened to what we thought before pulling out colors to choose from. We went from wanting one or maybe two colors for our walls, to getting 4 different colors! :) She was genius and worked perfectly with us!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I recently purchased a five gallon bucket of the HGTV Home paint. It clearly states it is one coat guaranteed. It was NOT one coat. I painted over a medium shade beige and a cream color with an off white color. Both had to have a second coat. At least the light shade should have only needed one coat. I am not happy that it did not live up to its claim. It was not a cheap paint either and I had to pay my painter extra to do the second coat. I would not buy this paint again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherwin-Williams?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

My husband and I went to Sherwin-Williams in Lockport, IL to purchase a gallon of paint. My husband inquired about the 30% off sale. The employee told us the sale started the next day, but we could purchase the paint today and bring the receipt back for an adjustment. We decided to get the paint. When we returned to get the adjustment, the assistant manager informed us his employee told him about it, but it is not their policy to do that. He refused to give us the price difference. If we would have known about that, we would have just waited to make the purchase. I am very disappointed that they would not honor the sale to us due to their own employee's mistake.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Was in store on 6/4/19 to order a part for my company sprayer and I was dealing with THE STORE MANAGER. I told him what I wanted and he said I will have to order this part in and it may be in this coming Friday or Monday next week. Well it’s Monday and I call to see where my product was and the lady told me that the manager was very busy to talk to me about my order and said he did not know. I really wanted this product I asked for on Thursday for him to ORDER!!! Will never step foot in this place again. The manager was a **. He was on his phone the whole time I was in store getting my stuff that he really never ordered.

Original review: May 2, 2019

When I went in to the Dayton Mall store the other day, I asked for a sample to try a color. The salesclerk told me to be sure to CLEAN THE PAINT OFF (after drying) before applying the paint we choose! I’ve never heard this before!! I verified what he was saying “So you’re telling me I have to use a chemical on my freshly primed drywall to REMOVE the sample color, even if I use that same color?!” He said yes, that it’s not a good quality paint so it bubbles or crumbles off under the better paint later. I verified what he was saying with the other clerk to be sure he wasn’t New & didn’t know what he was talking about. But she confirmed it, although she seemed uncomfortable. He then proceeded to charge me $9 for a quart of what he just told me is BAD paint! That’s $36 per gallon for BAD PAINT! I can get EXCELLENT paint from another brand for less than that! Now I’m afraid to use their paint after I already paid for the sample!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently made a review and I was very upset. I was not getting any help from this company. After many attempts I did get my situation resolved by the District manager Monica **. She was very understanding and provided great customer service.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Provided our HOA paint requirements and supposedly provided me with the paint. Was nowhere near the paint that it should have been. Do not use Sherwin-Williams for any of your paint requirements. I took a picture in to the store and they did nothing about the paint they sold me. Poor customer service at its best!!!

Sherwin-Williams expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

The company manufactures stains and supplies and is one of the best-known brands in the world. In fact, its paint is used on major monuments such as the White House, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hollywood Sign.

• Sherwin-Williams paint: Sherwin-Williams offers many products for your painting project, including brushes, rollers, tape and accessories. Select one of its many primers, each formulated for different surfaces. Then choose from interior or exterior latex, oil-based or enamel paints. You can also purchase wood stains and sealers, spray paints, concrete and masonry finishes, and more.

• Sherwin-Williams colors: Sherwin-Williams prides itself on its vast color selection. With more than 1,500 paint colors, you’re sure to find one for your project. The website has several color selection tools, including a visualization tool that allows you to upload a photo of your room and click to change the colors of the walls.

• Paint calculator: The Sherwin-Williams website has a paint calculator to help you figure out how much paint you need for your project. Enter the total height and width of the wall you’re painting and tally the number of windows and doors for a quick calculation. You can also do a custom calculation that includes the texture of your wall and takes into account how many baseboards and crown moldings you have.

• ColorSnap in-home consultation: If you need help choosing colors for your project, Sherwin-Williams offers an in-home consultation with a professional. For $95 you get a pre-visit phone call to help the consultant learn about your style, a 90-minute visit, a $50 gift card to use toward your paint purchase, and a project shopping list.

• PaintPerks program: If you plan to purchase a lot of paint or supplies, sign up for the free PaintPerks rewards program. You can earn coupons and rewards after you’ve spent enough money to qualify.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
      Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Sherwin-Williams Company Information