2. Homeowners
  3. Paint Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.85/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Sherwin-Williams Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherwin-Williams?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherwin-Williams?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Always used Olympic Stain for our cedar sided house. Our new painter preferred Sherwin-Williams Wood Scapes and said it would be just as good. After a few years we are literally peeling strips of the paint off of the cedar in droves. It looks like and it acts like paint. Don't let anyone tell you that this is a stain. It's a paint!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

More money doesn't guarantee better quality. The cheapest "model" of SW paint is called Captivate. It's $40 a gallon, and was purchased on sale for 35% off. I covered gold with pink, and it required two coats of paint. The brush strokes were still visible and the paint itself felt very watery. This seems to be a common complaint among unhappy users of Sherwin Williams paints. For the same price I could've gotten a better, one coat paint from Valspar, so I'm not as upset as I would've been if I had paid the full $40 price tag. Considering SW paints go up to $100 a gallon, I consider myself lucky not to have been ripped off very much.

Get buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

This paint is HORRIBLE. If you want to buy several gallons to cover then strip, scrape and repaint every year this is the paint for you. The first coat looks like colored water then it took 3 more coats. One year later it is peeling all over.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I went to Sherwin-Williams because of pro painter reviews. I purchased their top of the line Emerald Interior Paint, custom color. I purchased 3 gallons to paint 2 hallways, foyer, and 2 walls in my great room (figuring a gallon to paint a small bedroom). I started in the great room, painting one wall. After the first coat I noted a lot of areas that needed a second coat. By the time I finished I had used 1 gallon on one wall. Then I started a small hallway (approximately 11 feet long). The same thing, it needed a second coat. Now I'm almost 2 gallons down and still have another hallway, foyer, and a wall in the great room.

Needless to say I won't make it. This paint was more expensive to start with, and add to the fact it needed 2 coats, makes it 3x the cost of Home Depot or Lowe's paint. Can't wait until I've used the 3 gallons and then color match at Home Depot or Lowe's to finish my job. I will never, ever, buy this paint again. I have filed it permanently in my memory bank.

Original review: July 3, 2020

I went to Sherwin-Williams Williams expecting to get a great product. The paint is more expensive than most brands but the coverage was the worst I have ever seen. I have to put a couple of coats before I decided to go to Home Depot and try to match the color with another brand to be able to cover the paint. Horrible experience. They should be ashamed to sell such bad product for so much money.

Original review: June 19, 2020

First I use to be a fan of Sherwin-Williams paint till now. I hired a professional painter, but told him I wanted him to use Sherwin Williams paint. We got the paint and bought their best outdoor paint. It was called Super Paint, paint and primer in one. Regular cost $71.00. We are painting plastic outdoor railing that was already painted pink, we do Breast Cancer projects as a giveback explaining the color. We bought a slight deeper shade of pink to cover.

The painter complained to me after he had 5 coats of paint on and the old color was still shining through. He contacted Sherwin-Williams local store himself, they sent a guy out who said our problem was that we tinted the paint, even though the can says right on it that it must be tinted. He would not do anything. I wrote to the main company who promptly sent me a response saying they would contact me with in 48 hours. Over a week later I have heard nothing. I am going this weekend to get a different brand to match the color and not use the expensive Sherwin-Williams paint.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I put Duration paint on the exterior of my house that was covered with redwood siding. The boards had been previously painted with Sherwin-Williams super paint but it cracked and flaked so I had to replace it. I chose their Duration paint. I sanded, caulked, and primed the redwood siding prior to applying the Curation paint. There was absolutely no rot in the redwood siding prior to this application.

About 5 years after the application my siding is rotting underneath the paint. I called Sherwin-Williams and they sent a representative to my house. His explanation was that there's moisture getting into the wood. I pointed out to him that it does rain here on occasion in Missouri. He said, "Well it's getting in through the seams," I said that the seams were caulked before I applied his paint so if water is getting in there it's the failure of his paint not the caulk.

The windowsill was also painted with duration paint and it too is rotting out. It appears that if any moisture gets behind this siding it has no way to escape and turns into dry rot. If I had it to do all over again I would not spend the money on this expensive coating as now I have to replace the siding on the house as well. I don't even think they make redwood siding anymore. DO NOT BUY DURATION PAINT MADE BY SHERWIN-WILLIAMS. THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I just want to tell you what Outstanding service I received from the store. I stopped in on Saturday, February 8th, 2020 to just get my can of paint mixed up. I found out that this paint can I had was 12 years old and may or may not be any good. Chris from the Commercial Store in Richfield, MN. showed me what my paint looked like after mixing it up. First of all there was rust pieces on the top layer of the paint because I didn't properly seal it. It was thick and Chris thought maybe if we added a little bit of water and removed all the rust debris I would have enough. He went back with my can of paint and with a mesh cloth he captured all of the debris and I got myself over half a quart of paint. He went over to the sink and added some water and mixed it all up. He opened the can to show me and it looked like a brand new can of paint!!! I actually had tears in my eyes!! This guy-went above and beyond what he had to do for me.

First of all it was a commercial store so he could have sent me on my merry way, but he didn't. You are so LUCKY to have an employee like Chris! And I haven't even told you the most amazing thing that happen to me. I asked him what I owed him for his time and he said nothing! I have told my story to so many of my friends and they will shop first at Sherwin Williams. Than-you Chris from the bottom of my heart for helping me out. The paint matched perfectly and I really can't thank-you enough!

Sincerely,

Susan

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Not reliable. Don't expect them to be open when promised. I called at lunch time to confirm their hours. They said they close at 7pm. I said I would be by after work. Stopped by at 5:45 after work and lights are out and the door is locked. Tried to call. No answer. Me and another customer hung out to dry. Today was also the last day of the 40% off sale. How convenient.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Purchased Snap Dry on the salesman's recommendation. As a homeowner and boat owner I have painted with many products. I attempted to paint our front door with this stuff. I had the door off and on saw horses. The first attempt was with the recommended foam roller. The paint was thick and sticky. I could not get it to roll out without leaving those edge of the roller tracks. That was bad enough. It dried in a horrible orange peel finish. I had to strip it off because as I wet sanded it it had poor adhesion. The second try with a 2 inch Purdy brush. Never finished because you can't keep a wet edge.

It dries thick and fast. I thinned it slightly with a very small amount of water. Still couldn't keep a wet edge. Temp was mid sixties inside. No luck with 15 airless tip either. More orange peel. Now I am out of paint, stripper, and time. I still have some primer and sandpaper left. I will get more stripper and a different paint. A thoroughly exasperating waste of time and money.

Sherwin-Williams author review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

The company manufactures stains and supplies and is one of the best-known brands in the world. In fact, its paint is used on major monuments such as the White House, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hollywood Sign.

• Sherwin-Williams paint: Sherwin-Williams offers many products for your painting project, including brushes, rollers, tape and accessories. Select one of its many primers, each formulated for different surfaces. Then choose from interior or exterior latex, oil-based or enamel paints. You can also purchase wood stains and sealers, spray paints, concrete and masonry finishes, and more.

• Sherwin-Williams colors: Sherwin-Williams prides itself on its vast color selection. With more than 1,500 paint colors, you’re sure to find one for your project. The website has several color selection tools, including a visualization tool that allows you to upload a photo of your room and click to change the colors of the walls.

• Paint calculator: The Sherwin-Williams website has a paint calculator to help you figure out how much paint you need for your project. Enter the total height and width of the wall you’re painting and tally the number of windows and doors for a quick calculation. You can also do a custom calculation that includes the texture of your wall and takes into account how many baseboards and crown moldings you have.

• ColorSnap in-home consultation: If you need help choosing colors for your project, Sherwin-Williams offers an in-home consultation with a professional. For $95 you get a pre-visit phone call to help the consultant learn about your style, a 90-minute visit, a $50 gift card to use toward your paint purchase, and a project shopping list.

• PaintPerks program: If you plan to purchase a lot of paint or supplies, sign up for the free PaintPerks rewards program. You can earn coupons and rewards after you’ve spent enough money to qualify.

by Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Sherwin-Williams Company Information