3.28/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

29 Sherwin-Williams Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I recently purchased a five gallon bucket of the HGTV Home paint. It clearly states it is one coat guaranteed. It was NOT one coat. I painted over a medium shade beige and a cream color with an off white color. Both had to have a second coat. At least the light shade should have only needed one coat. I am not happy that it did not live up to its claim. It was not a cheap paint either and I had to pay my painter extra to do the second coat. I would not buy this paint again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

My husband and I went to Sherwin-Williams in Lockport, IL to purchase a gallon of paint. My husband inquired about the 30% off sale. The employee told us the sale started the next day, but we could purchase the paint today and bring the receipt back for an adjustment. We decided to get the paint. When we returned to get the adjustment, the assistant manager informed us his employee told him about it, but it is not their policy to do that. He refused to give us the price difference. If we would have known about that, we would have just waited to make the purchase. I am very disappointed that they would not honor the sale to us due to their own employee's mistake.

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Was in store on 6/4/19 to order a part for my company sprayer and I was dealing with THE STORE MANAGER. I told him what I wanted and he said I will have to order this part in and it may be in this coming Friday or Monday next week. Well it’s Monday and I call to see where my product was and the lady told me that the manager was very busy to talk to me about my order and said he did not know. I really wanted this product I asked for on Thursday for him to ORDER!!! Will never step foot in this place again. The manager was a **. He was on his phone the whole time I was in store getting my stuff that he really never ordered.

Original review: May 2, 2019

When I went in to the Dayton Mall store the other day, I asked for a sample to try a color. The salesclerk told me to be sure to CLEAN THE PAINT OFF (after drying) before applying the paint we choose! I’ve never heard this before!! I verified what he was saying “So you’re telling me I have to use a chemical on my freshly primed drywall to REMOVE the sample color, even if I use that same color?!” He said yes, that it’s not a good quality paint so it bubbles or crumbles off under the better paint later. I verified what he was saying with the other clerk to be sure he wasn’t New & didn’t know what he was talking about. But she confirmed it, although she seemed uncomfortable. He then proceeded to charge me $9 for a quart of what he just told me is BAD paint! That’s $36 per gallon for BAD PAINT! I can get EXCELLENT paint from another brand for less than that! Now I’m afraid to use their paint after I already paid for the sample!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently made a review and I was very upset. I was not getting any help from this company. After many attempts I did get my situation resolved by the District manager Monica **. She was very understanding and provided great customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherwin-Williams?

Original review: April 13, 2019

Provided our HOA paint requirements and supposedly provided me with the paint. Was nowhere near the paint that it should have been. Do not use Sherwin-Williams for any of your paint requirements. I took a picture in to the store and they did nothing about the paint they sold me. Poor customer service at its best!!!

Resolution response: April 19, 2019

Sherwin Williams stood by their product and fully resolved the issue with the exterior paint on my house. Thank you Sherwin Williams.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I spent thousands of dollars painting both the interior and exterior of my house with the highest quality and highest priced Sherwin-Williams paint. Their Duration brand is warrantied for life. Just a few years after having my house painted, the exterior of my house looks horrible. Apparently there is a process called efflorescence that has turned the color of my dark olive colored house into a yellowy mess. I reached out to Sherwin-Williams more than a week ago to try and resolve my issue and am still waiting to hear back from someone who can help me resolve this situation. Please do not spend the extra money for what Sherwin-Williams calls their best paint.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I owned a painting business and used Sherwin-Williams paints for many homes before switching to Benjamin Moore. Medium, muted shades would frequently take 3 or 4 coats to cover, sometimes doubling labour costs. Had many instances of interior paint bubbling, paint wiping off on water dampened clothes months after paint cured, and mis-tints. Sherwin would always suggest it was not their fault.

I switched to Benjamin Moore and these problems disappeared. Sherwin-Williams paint is just not good. Pay a little more for Benjamin Moore save on labour - the real time and expense. Also, warning contractors, if you sign commercial accounts without guarantor information, Sherwin will attempt to claim you are personally liable by stating they 'don't' approve corporate accounts and that they are material suppliers under the construction lien act. Bait and switch sales approach.

Original review: March 5, 2019

It is virtually impossible to apply this product reasonably as it dries far too fast. You cannot create an even coat with either a brush or roller. Within seconds you can no longer touch the area where paint was just applied. It is impossible to create a nice even coat. I am not a professional but have painted many houses. When discussing this with their representative I found him to be rather arrogant. I am abandoning this paint for my project and purchasing replacement product from a company other than Sherwin-Williams. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I went into my local Sherwin-Williams and asked to have a sample pot mixed. The sales girl told me they only have satin in samples. I told her satin wouldn't work because I wanted the sheen to be flat. She said they now have a matte finish that is flat, but it's washable. She talked me into buying a gallon of it. I got it home and tested it on my wall, only to find out the sheen of the matte is not at all flat, it's as reflective as satin! I'm so disappointed that I spent so much money on a gallon of paint that is not at all what I wanted.

I contacted Sherwin-Williams customer service to see if they would be willing to help out in this situation. They didn't get back to me for 4 days, and only after I contacted them a second time. They said they were escalating my issue to a district manager who would be contacting me. After nearly 2 weeks I still haven't heard from them. I'm surprised at the poor knowledge of products the staff in the store had and the terrible customer service offered after the sale. Sherwin-Williams claims to be and charges for exceptional quality, but I found the opposite to be true. I ended up using Behr Marquee. Their product was exactly what I wanted and so easy to work with. I won't be wasting time/ money with Sherwin-Williams ever again.

Sherwin-Williams expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

The company manufactures stains and supplies and is one of the best-known brands in the world. In fact, its paint is used on major monuments such as the White House, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hollywood Sign.

• Sherwin-Williams paint: Sherwin-Williams offers many products for your painting project, including brushes, rollers, tape and accessories. Select one of its many primers, each formulated for different surfaces. Then choose from interior or exterior latex, oil-based or enamel paints. You can also purchase wood stains and sealers, spray paints, concrete and masonry finishes, and more.

• Sherwin-Williams colors: Sherwin-Williams prides itself on its vast color selection. With more than 1,500 paint colors, you’re sure to find one for your project. The website has several color selection tools, including a visualization tool that allows you to upload a photo of your room and click to change the colors of the walls.

• Paint calculator: The Sherwin-Williams website has a paint calculator to help you figure out how much paint you need for your project. Enter the total height and width of the wall you’re painting and tally the number of windows and doors for a quick calculation. You can also do a custom calculation that includes the texture of your wall and takes into account how many baseboards and crown moldings you have.

• ColorSnap in-home consultation: If you need help choosing colors for your project, Sherwin-Williams offers an in-home consultation with a professional. For $95 you get a pre-visit phone call to help the consultant learn about your style, a 90-minute visit, a $50 gift card to use toward your paint purchase, and a project shopping list.

• PaintPerks program: If you plan to purchase a lot of paint or supplies, sign up for the free PaintPerks rewards program. You can earn coupons and rewards after you’ve spent enough money to qualify.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
      Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Sherwin-Williams Company Information