Nortek Global HVAC

Compare Heating & Cooling Systems

Research top Heating & Cooling Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We bought our Nordyne/Gibson system spring of 2016. We spent $5000 (which we are still paying the bank for) and have had nothing but problems and currently have a non working system. The valve on the inside unit froze soon after install and Matt, the one who installed the new unit replaced it. Then the whole outside unit went out this spring (2017) and had to be replaced again. Matt did it under warranty but fought with Nortek to get his money and a new unit outside.

Now our valve inside has caused the coils to freeze inside again. Matt said that Nortek knows of the faulty valves and are not doing anything about this. He is not coming back. Called a large company here in Roanoke, Virginia and they said (after a $99 service call) that we are looking at $671 to get the valve fixed and charge the system again. After my wife's cancer, I am the only income. We are stuck. I would gladly add my name to a class action lawsuit if anyone is doing one. They should have to replace all these faulty systems with another brand. My email is **.

Maytag HVAC system purchased 2010 with 12 years parts and labor warranty. They honor the parts replacement part of the warranty. However, they won't reimburse the labor part of the cost of repairs, saying that part is dependent upon the installer to cover. I called original distributor and they are in the middle of a lawsuit against them for labor not reimbursed as promised. He said that Nortek (formerly Nordyne) were reimbursing the labor portion for a while after they purchased Maytag and then just stopped.

Nordyne 3.5 ton central ac & airhandler - We purchased this unit January 2016. We live in southwest Florida. We were told it was a great unit. We didn't start using the air conditioner till the end of May 2016. After 3 months of use the outside unit froze up and started clicking on and off. We called the man who installed it. He came out at in the evening and checked it said it was low on coolant. He charged it up and it worked for another 2 months. The outside unit froze up again. We called the installer again. He came out again and checked it.

Again it was low on coolant, this time he said "There's probably a leak somewhere, the weather is cooling down, this should last till you don't need it till next summer, I'll come out January 1st and pressurize it to find the leak." BINGO there was a leak in the coil. He replaced it. We again started using the unit again at the end of May 2017, July 16 2017 the outside unit froze up and the air handler froze up. Called the installer again he said he would be out Monday. It's just WONDERFUL to sit in a home without air when it's 91 outside with 90% humidity after you purchase a NEW AC unit thinking you can count on it working. NOT!!! I believe it time for a class action suit against NORTEK GLOBAL HVAC.

We've had five service issues with our two Gibson HVAC units in the first four years of use, and have now encountered our sixth service problem. The upstairs unit froze in the winter three times in the first four years, and shut down each time until Nick from Central Heating could fix the problem. The downstairs unit failed twice in the first year, one time due to a sticking valve, and another due to a humidifier issue. Last week, our AC shut down, and we were told that our TX valve needs to be replaced, which is causing the coil to freeze. The estimated the repair, coolant, etc. was $948. (The TX valve will be covered by our parts warranty.)

We called Gibson, but they said they only cover parts, not labor or coolant, and in general seemed like they could care less about our issues. Also, Gibson offers a ten year warranty, but only if you register in the first 60 days. We don't know much about HVAC, but our Carrier AC unit in our prior house required nothing but routine maintenance for 25 years, and our gas heater went 15 years before needing a service call. Buyer beware, in our opinion, don't buy Nortek or Gibson if you're looking for a quality product.

I purchased a Nordyne heating and air system Q5RF-X36K 2/2011. April 16, 2017 unit was completely shot and they advised I would have to have the whole unit replaced and was told promptly after that that it was on backorder. I have waited almost a month without a system and I called into their customer service and the treatment I received there was about as insulting as having to replace a 6 yr old unit that they on BACKORDER. I called b/c not only had I waited over 3 weeks to get a unit I was told it would cost me 1042.00 and Nordyne would only give 250.00 credit towards the install so leaving me 792.00 out of my pocket for a unit that clearing a piece of junk.

I asked if there was something they could do b/c I felt this was unfair that I would have to incur this cost with such a new unit and they told me I had to negotiate with the company putting it in? Why they didn't make it you did. I asked to speak with a supervisor and they told me they had no one on duty? What? No managers?? I advised I would kindly wait till someone arrived and they would not hold one and transferred me to a voice mail that says they will get back with me in 2 business days. I called back. Now mind you I am not being rude I just insisted that I speak to a manager to which the lady hung up on me... I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nortek Global HVAC?

I purchased a 4 ton Nordyne Gas packaged Unit that is still brand new as home has not been occupied yet. After the fact found out unit was installed without permit and in the newly categorized flood zone. City required unit to be moved out of flood zone or 10 feet above ground. In the process of getting quotes for the move, it was determined by a second company that unit is inappropriate for property. Not enough vents to function for heating or cooling. Unit cannot perform cooling on 2nd floor, will instead shut down before desired temperature is reached. E & H Mechanical, the firm who selected and recommended System and installed refuse to offer any solution.

I purchased a 3.5 ton Gibson heat pump in Oct. 2015. Since the install we have had 3 problems that turned into major problems. In May 2016 there was a leak in the evaporator coil. Called the company, got the coil covered but not the labor and r22 recharge ($1200). Then August 2016 a problem with several relays which wasn't a big deal only a small part and labor charge ($120). So here's the big one, 2 weeks ago the unit stopped producing heat so I had the contractor who did the install take a look, THE COMPRESSOR TOTALLY WENT! So after talking to the company they offer a replacement compressor but won't cover the r22 recharge again! Or the labor! So I got the bill for $900 recharge and $250 labor. I will most certainly be getting a lawyer. This company is a joke and I wouldn't recommend them too anyway.

Westinghouse/Nordyne heat pump was installed in our new house in 2010. Unit froze up in summer of 2016. Tech checked unit and said most of the refrigerant had leaked out because of leaks in the evaporator coil. I registered this unit for the 10 year extended warranty at time of installation. Nordyne said they had no record of the registration and unit was out of warranty. It is now December of 2016 and still have not got unit fixed. Very unhappy consumer!

Now that I have read reviews, I have to agree, Nordyne units are a piece of junk. Had mine replaced today. Unit is approx. 6 yrs. old. Had many problems with old unit. New coil, freon problem, then the heat exchanger went. Paying all the labor costs should have been absorbed by Nordyne. Then it was replaced today (another Nordyne) with more labor costs. Now I have to live with this one waiting for the first problem. Scares me. When will they learn to make a decent unit that lasts.

DO not Ever buy any products from this company. I have had my unit for 3 years. Last year the evaporator coil started leaking and is going to cost me $700 to fix. Now, my heat is not working... Why is it that nothing can be done about this!!! A lawsuit needs to be started against this horrible company with horrible products and the worst customer service.

A couple problems with Nordyne, Broan, Frigidaire, NuTone, etc. (all the same company and product). They went bankrupt recently, so they are even worse than other manufacturers. The big weakness in even their high-end junk is the evaporator coil problem that will apparently never be fixed. Their distributors in our area don't want to carry parts, so everything is out 2 weeks. Do not buy this stuff. Any manufacturer is better than these clowns.

I am sitting here in my 80 degree home in SW Florida with an IQ Drive unit that is not working. The Cooling Company called Nutone Distributor to order a new proprietary thermostat, and 2 circuit boards to get my unit up and running. He was told that the parts would not be available until end of January 2017. That is 3 months from now. Being in SW FLorida it's hot here all year round and today the temps will reach 87. SO...here I sit with no AC until January! The unit was $12000 and I will never purchase another. As a matter of fact I may have it pulled out and sell on Craigslist. I am so pissed off. Don't buy! I suggest something that you can easily and quickly repair. These units are direct wire to thermostat, so you can't just buy any old thermostat to run them. Cannot recommend.

Only 5 years old and has had multiple leaks. Techs used dies and found and repaired leaks then shortly after new leaks developed and unit would not cool. Now I must pay for labor and cost to find, fix, and re-fill the unit: cheap junky system that is not worth owning.

Oh my God, this is the WORST customer service experience I have ever had and I'm not a young guy. I'm technically competent and I can't imagine anyone placing a product like this in the market. Just a few highlights: Tech Support will only speak to a "Certified" Nordyne dealer tech. Closest one to my house is 50 miles and wants $250 to pull in driveway. His exact words were, "Those things are terrible to work on and we could be there all day at $145/hr (above the original $250) and still not solve the problem". Several competent service organizations close by but can't get info from tech support.

No dealers will take the training to get certified so no dealers can help you if anything goes wrong. System is nowhere NEAR as efficient as they say it is. System is nowhere NEAR as quiet as they say it is. System only works properly on occasion and is incredibly temperamental. System is now not working and support will not speak to my regular heating and air guy. Nordyne will ignore you completely if you inadvertently forgot (3 years ago) to go online and register every component of the system. Poorly designed. Poorly supported. JUNK JUNK JUNK!

I moved into my brand new house just three years ago and a brand new Nordyne unit was installed. The AC quit running a month ago. I called the AC company that put it in and they came out and checked it out and said the compressor was bad and it would be covered under warranty but not the labor. I've called the AC company over and over and they said that Nordyne still has not shipped the part. In the meantime, I called my brother-in-law who is in the AC business and explained to him what was going on and he came out and checked the unit and called Nordyne and he said that they don't replace the part but would replace the unit. However, they are having a hard time getting Nordyne to send a replacement unit. In the meantime, I can't even live in my home because it is too hot as I live in Florida and it started in August. I am a widow and do not have the money to replace the whole thing and feel that I have absolutely no recourse.

Purchase a brand new manufactured home in 2014 that came with a Nordyne AC unit. Unit has been worked on twice this year (2016), with the third service call determining that the coil would have to be replaced. After 30 minutes on hold to speak with Nordyne regarding warranty, we were told that only warranty their product for one year. And that the dealership that is proclaiming five year warranty is lying. When asked if they were going to provide any assistance with a two-year old unit that now has to be replaced, I was simply told no. They said that it was my problem and that they provide one year and one year only. Their customer service is severely lacking and the representatives I spoke to were extremely rude and unprofessional. If anyone is looking to purchase a home or manufactured home that will have a Nordyne (Nortech) AC system, run the other or demand a better system.

I gave this a 1 star rating because there wasn't an option for a negative star rating. My wife and I built a new home and father's day 2013 we finished it and moved in. We installed a 5-Ton Nordyne central air system in the house. The air handler / inside unit has been nothing but problems since it was installed. In three years we have had to replace the Coil assembly, blower motor, motor control board and the circuit board. All of the parts were covered under the warranty. However I have spent over $2000.00 in service calls and labor having parts replaced. Now after all of this the unit has started leaking Freon gas again which means I am about to be spending more on repairs. I will be doing a cheap patch on it and hope it will last until I can have a new system installed to be rid of this piece of junk. All I can tell you is stay away from this company cause the quality of their product isn't worth the money you will pay for it.

I recently bought a townhouse that is only 12 years old and the Gibson/Nordyne equipment is nothing short of garbage. I had no air conditioning and after

talking to other people in this complex found out that they also had problems, all I can say is stay away buy anything else but this garbage. Take my advice PLEASE!

All I can say about this company is stay away from this equipment. It's a piece of junk and they won't stand behind it. Bought a system 18 months ago. Have spent $1,200 on it in the last three weeks. The blower has to be set on lowest setting or it throws water on the floor. Two different repair companies tell me it's in the construction of the equipment and they have no solution to the problem and Nordyne's no help. I'm looking had having to put in all new system. Please stay away from this product. I'm in process I talking with Ky HVCA inspectors.

The unit that was put in for my heat pump is T5BD-048K series 4 ton heat pump. It was installed as a new unit November 11, 2014. It has not been efficient since installed. The first summer with this unit was 2015 and it could not keep our home cool (74 degrees). Now in our second summer it started freezing up and not functioning at all. So 19 1/2 months is all we got out of this piece of crap.

I am very disappointed in the AC businessman who installed it as he told us it was a unit comparable to Rheem. We got done over and we are very unhappy with Nordyne and Mr. Gary **. The unit is leaking coolant and we have been told it will be a better financial decision to replace it, as the labor charges will be extensive. When I discovered that numerous customers have had the same problem, I am now infuriated that a company is being allowed to rip off people who buy their product. I am looking for some help to cover my financial losses from Nordyne selling inferior products that they know do not last (in my case 19 months).

I bought the unit in 2010 and had it installed. The installer did not tell me that I have to register it online and now the unit is leaking Freon. It has a bad coil as do hundred of units they sold. They will not cover under warranty. It is a horrible unit and I would recommend anyone reading these reviews to go elsewhere for equipment. This company does not care about the consumer and obviously only want to line the pockets with money and not stand behind their produce. BAD PRODUCT. BAD COMPANY TO DEAL WITH.

I had a new Nordyne system installed less than 5 years ago. This replaced a system that I put in 30 years ago. I have had to replace the freon now 3 times. Since then I went with a new company which informed me that because of the leaks I needed to replace the entire system. I was told that my warranty had expired and they would not replace the faulty and leaky system.

I purchased a home with a Maytag HVAC system, and my home inspector said that the unit was a newer unit, and it should last for a while. The unit broke down last month and was diagnosed that it has a Freon leak and needed to replace the coil. I called the warranty since it is about 8 years old, but they said there is no warranty left because the previous owner didn't register. I think it is funny. If the unit was purchased and installed by a contractor it should be under warranty. The company knows when the unit was made and purchased. It is like a trick because most of people don't. They should stand behind their products...

I have to pay a lot of money to buy a coil and put it in, and guess what... another leak then another leak... then another leak from different parts. My technician said that it is leaked at the weird places, where there should not be any stress. Everyone came out and had the same conclusion, this company was not good... they won't cover a lot of things and the unit should be replaced. Can you imagine that you have to change a system after 8 years.

We installed a Maytag dual stage heating system with an 18 Seer AC unit in July 2014. The coil has been replaced three times (2 times in 2015 and 1 time in 2016). It works for a few months, but the next year must be replaced because it leaks (thin copper used). We have heard every excuse in the book, but the company refuses to pay for the installs. Yes, they provide another defective coil every year under the "warranty", but we have to pay $550 for new Freon and installation. I don't expect to have to put a new motor in my car every year and I don't expect to put a new coil in my unit every year. The consumer got scammed on this deal, since they were well aware of the problem with the 18 Seer anteater copper coil long before 2014. I understand from others there is a class action lawsuit pending about this issue.

We installed an Intertherm high-efficiency furnace in our Modular home in the Fall of 2014. Before Spring 2015 the aluminum heat exchanger burned out releasing carbon monoxide into the heat ducts and tripping the temperature high limit. The next Fall our plumber was given a new heat exchanger and installed it. He also ascertained that the fan speed was set to maximum and told us to not use any very restrictive filters like 3M microfiber or similar makes. Before the Spring of 2016 the 2nd heat exchanger burned out. We do not want another Intertherm furnace or any other make with an aluminum heat exchanger. We will probably replace with an 85% furnace with a steel heat exchanger.

In another home in about 1988 I installed a Comfort Maker High-efficiency furnace with a steel exchanger and it's still in use today. I recommend avoiding any furnace with an aluminum alloy exchanger. If you have one, a clue to a defective heat exchanger releasing carbon monoxide into your heat ducts is the second time the high limit trips.

No cooling put out Apr. of 16. Found that unit was leaking coolant due to hole in coil at top. Could not have been due to installation only poor quality of manufacture. Will cost as much to ship, replace freon, and for hours worked as paid for unit less than 4 yrs. ago. Will buy other brand and tell everyone I know of this so no one else has to put up with such poor product. All in world need to know.

I have a 4-year old furnace with a defective heat exchanger. Nordyne agreed that they will replace it. First they said in 2 weeks, now in 5 weeks. Going 5 weeks in the winter without heat and not giving accurate information is unacceptable. Who knows when they would really ship the unit. The warranty is worthless. Do not buy this unit.

They are a terrible organization to deal with. They offer a "12-year warranty." However, if the warranty does not follow the equipment, if the house is sold and the first owner does not remember to physically call and transfer the warranty (may even have to be in writing as that was a sketchy explanation at best), the warranty is voided to 5 years. So, we bought a new home two months ago. In the middle of a 35-inch snowstorm, the unit went down. We call a tech to come out who then tells us that our warranty is voided because the original owner didn't re-register the product warranty. We call Nordyne (Maytag) and they refer us to a subsection of the warranty which indicates that the last 7 years no longer count. $2,000 later, we are taken advantage of again. By the way, the unit was less than 6 years old. Poor quality parts supported by poor quality warranties and by poor quality customer service. AWFUL! !

We bought our first heat pump in May 2014. Ten months later it was broke. Nordyne would not give us a new heat pump. They said it would have to tore apart and rebuilt. Also, said we did not fill out warranty, which my husband did online. I believe they deleted it because there were other people with similar complaints about warranty. Also, went through 3 TXV valves and found out the valves are faulty and the company knows that but does nothing to fix them That was reported by one of their HAVC techs.

Then had to rebuild the attic air handler and install a new coil and TXV valve, so we could have air conditioning this summer. Turn heat on in October and 6 weeks later the SECOND outdoor heat pump unit in less than 2 years will not defrost. We are running on emergency heat again! Not to mention frustration, loss of wages to take off for tech to fix it and high labor costs over $1000, and high electric bills! Very very frustrating. We want our money back so we can buy a system that works. Every time the temperature changes the heat and cooling system breaks. RF Fager in Camp Hill PA is the distributor of these worthless heating systems.

I have a 5 ton unit that we purchased just 3 years ago, and it has stopped working. We've learned that the coil has to be replaced. Although the materials are apparently covered by warranty (we'll see how the company responds to this), the labor cost of over $1,500 is not! Furthermore, the replacement part is not readily available and has to be ordered from the manufacturer... A 2-3 week wait time while outside temperatures are in the high 80's to 90's! So that means that we also have to pay for a temporary HVAC while we wait... Another cost that is not covered by Nordyne. The HVAC repair persons whom I have consulted about this problem have told me that this manufacturer is considered in the industry as having one of the poorest reputations for quality, and now I believe it. There is no excuse for a unit that cost this much and is only 3 years old, to fail so miserably. I'll never buy another Nordyne product.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Nortek Global HVAC, formerly Nordyne LLC, is an HVAC manufacturer specializing in both residential and commercial air quality systems. Nortek provides heating and cooling systems for contractors and distributors who install the systems in consumer homes and businesses.

• Several major brands: Nortek manufactures HVAC systems from Maytag, Frigidaire, NuTone, Westinghouse, Reznor and Broan. All of these top brands are available to contractors and Nortek provides support for the life of the product.
  • iQ Drive technology: Nortek’s innovative iQ Drive technology for air conditioners and heating systems converts electric current from AC to DC, which alters the compressor and fan motor. The result is a quieter, more efficient machine.
  • Micro-Channel coils: In order to meet regulatory demands and decrease greenhouse gasses, Nortek created Micro-Channel evaporator and condenser coils to use less refrigerant than other HVAC coils. These coils are smaller, lighter and better for the environment.
  • Business training for contractors and distributors: As a manufacturer, Nortek goes above and beyond to prepare its contractor and distributor partners for business success. Its Edgetek and 12th Man Plan marketing programs provide partners with system overviews, installation advice, sales training, marketing and more.
  • Second Look financing program: Nortek Global HVAC has partnered with TURNS Financing Services to help consumers with credit problems finance products purchased through Nortek’s contractor network.
  • Best for contractors and distributors.

Compare Heating & Cooling Systems