1.4/5 (185 ratings)
Find a Heating and Cooling Systems partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Nortek Global HVAC

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Nortek Global HVAC Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nortek Global HVAC?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nortek Global HVAC?

Original review: June 13, 2020

The furnace is going on 5 years old. It’s been solid. I’ve had no issues. The only thing I’ve been required to do is change the filter and wipe out the cobwebs. It’s been a very reliable furnace. The price is on par with other brands. It’s not a top end model but just as good with less cost.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Contractor installed a new NORTEK A/C and company refuses to honor warranty even though the product never worked properly...All Nortek will do is warranty the faulty compressor that's inside and have it re-installed even though the contractor did everything that NORTEK asked them to do as far as troubleshooting...5 service calls in a 4 week period trying to get it working properly until the contractor finally ate the cost and replaced it with a Trane.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Purchased a furnace the beginning of December for manufactured home. It didn't work correctly from Day 1. The install tech found a rivet in a tube, the companies tech support said they don't even use rivets so it appeared to be a form of sabotage from a manufacture employee. Unit still doesn't work after every main part of the unit has been replaced and the tech has been out over 6 times in a month. It won't run for more than 24 hours and gets worse with every part that is replaced. The tech is trying to get a credit from the manufacturer so that he can purchase another unit from a different company but the manufacturer refuses to give the credit and the distributor won't credit unless it comes from the manufacturer.

I just got off of the phone with the Consumer side of the warranty dept. and have NEVER spoken with such rude, unprofessional customer service people in my life. They don't have record of the numerous times that my tech has talked to them and I know for a fact that he has because I have been there when he called them. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was hung up on. Called back and reached another extremely rude person that wouldn't let me speak to a supervisor either.

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do from here. My HVAC tech is doing everything he can at his expense, which I am lucky for since most would charge me for the trips out at the very least since I live an hour away. Doing research on this company I have found that they have bought out many large companies like Maytag and Frigidaire do your research before having to deal with this company!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Purchased my heat pump year and half ago. Like everyone it's winter here in for Va. Came home. No heat. The coil was leaking. Was told the whole unit had to be replaced. Spoke to Nortek a couple of different times. The last time was with a lady named Sheila. Sheila stated they would cover the unit but only 250.00 dollars in labor even though I was told they knew they was a deflect in the units before they was sold. I explained I did not think that was right. I would have to pay again to have a new unit installed because of they mistake.

I was told by Sheila, "You're getting new equipment." Really, I want what I paid for to work. I asked, "Do you think it's fair I have to repay to have a deflective unit reinstalled?" Shelia stated this isn't about what is fair or not fair. It's about what the warranty states. I really think that everyone with this problem should get together and file a civil lawsuit against this company. This is not right how they are taking advantage of people. They know their product has problems, but still it and not want to stand behind it. This is just not right.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

In five years I replaced compressor and three capacitors. HVAC co forgot to register unit so when I did company cut my warranty in half. Why? Because they could. Evil. I would highly recommend you stay away from this company as they have no honor.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our A/C unit has been installed seven years. Within four years, we had a coil leak in the unit. Although the coil is under warranty, it doesn't help matters when you have to spend over $700 dollars for labor and freon to get the coil installed. Then, two years later another leak and, of course, paying the $700 plus for the coil install. I am so upset that now one year later, we have another coil leak and again are having to spend the $700 plus for freon and the coil install. My husband and I are retired, over 65. My husband has major health problems so doing anything ourselves is out of the question. I learned from others after the third leak, that these coils are known to have a leaking problem but yet this company stays in business and continues to sells these defective coils.

Original review: May 8, 2019

The cooling fan motor on the Miller condenser unit is mounted on top of the outside unit in direct contact of rain water. I have had to replace the fan motor every 3 years due to it burning out. It should have better protection from the elements. The compressor is noisy as well. No leaks at least. I would rate it lower but the price was good.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I switched from an electric furnace to a 95% natural gas furnace Nordyne/Maytag, within 2 weeks was walking by the furnace the floor was wet, the condensation pump that hangs on the side of the furnace cracked. 7 months later the same thing happened, replaced it, 3 months later it happened again. Wrapped duct tape around it, now the floor is wet for the 4th time and the inside of the furnace is full of water? It 15 months old and having nothing but problems with water leaking? Not too pleased, will most likely not purchase anything related to this brand again.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We installed the recommended highest quality and efficiency unit that the contractor suggested and also purchased a 10 year parts and labor extended warranty policy at that time. Two years later the unit quit cooling and after a service visit found it was out of freon and the Evaporator was leaking. A/C service company replaced the faulty part and re-charged the unit. Two years later, same exact thing happened. All the freon was gone and the Evaporator was leaking again. Same song and dance, replaced the part and re-charged the unit.

Now, two years and 4 months later we have the same issue with a leaking Evaporator. Now I am told the company that sold the unit is not going to carry the brand anymore, so my chances of getting any help on the repair is slim to none. Not only did we pay a premium price for the unit when new, we also paid for the extended warranty which was sold as a 10 year parts and labor coverage and it has not covered all of the parts and labor on any of the repairs. There has to be something that can be done about this concern because too many people have expressed the same problem with their units. It is not just a one time problem as is shown by all these posts. If anyone has gotten any results please let us know as I cannot get anyone to commit to any help at this point.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My new unit was purchased and installed on 9/13/2010. The first defective I/D Nordyne Coil part was replaced under warranty on 2/9/2016. My total out of pocket cost was $823, Labor $750 & Trip charge $73. The second defective I/D Nordyne Coil part was replaced under warranty on 1/4/2019. Again, my total out of pocket cost was $823, Labor $750 & Trip charge $73. My research shows that your coils continue to be defective and this is not fair to me the consumer. I am demanding reimbursement in the amount of $1646 for my costs involved in repairing my unit due to your defective parts.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Purchased home in July 2015. Summer of 2017 no cold air. Called the person who installed it K&M and they never returned our call after numerous calls. Called the company we got the home from and they did nothing (Pioneer Homes). Then had to call a local service company and he came out had to replace the O rings because they were installed wrong. Added freon but said there must be a leak. Summer of 2018 no cold air. Called the serviceman locally and he came out and said there were holes in the coils. This is a very reputable privately owned repair company that service mobile homes only in the area. We had to replace the whole unit. He said it was junk and would not fix it due to future problems. I called Nortek and they told me there was nothing they would do because I did not sign up for the extended warranty. I told them that is a bad product they sell if it only last 1.5 years. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I bought a new manufactured home that we received our Certificate of Occupancy approximately three years ago. 1 1/2 years we had to have it serviced. Furnace from day one was VERY loud when the blower kicks on. To the point we couldn't even hear the TV and literally had to turn up volume and back down again every time. Next after service call from last year and bill, out of warranty, the Nordyne goes again. Another service call on 03/08/2018. Code reads "Open Positive Switch". Contractor replaced small intake fan that had to be ordered, no heat, and comes back to install. Nothing, still coding the same. Checks out chimney on roof with snow and discovers soot. Tries to override thermostat, fires once on reboot. After that checks more, Flames aren't burning right, tries to adjust, doesn't work.

Heat Exchanger is plugged and needs new one but would cost as much to get a new one with labor costs. Contractor orders a Revolve. Says they're good. Two weeks no heat. Furnace arrives. Not a "Revolve" supposedly a division of big name Coleman, instead after install and same loud blower, contractors done and left, I remove front panel with little "Revolve" emblem on it, it's the same Nordyne they just out! New furnace clearly marked Nordyne top and bottom. All except the little interchangeable emblem on the Bottom front! Very disappointed. I would have never allowed another Nordyne in our home. Revolve may be a division of Coleman but we got revolved on the truth, it's another Nordyne. Almost 3000.00 into parts, removal, and labor, only to get the same thing. Already making noise 3 hours in!

Original review: March 14, 2018

Before the unit was 9 months old the reversing valve leaked. I had to pay for a new valve until the old one could be sent back. It cost me $350 plus $180 for r410. 4 months later the replaced valve leaked and the guy who did the repair won't come back and Noland parts in Fredericksburg, VA won't help. I had to go through a N VA winter with only electric heat. Does anyone want to buy this pile of garbage? Nortek/NuTone/Noland Trane all SUCK and deal with them at your own risk.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

In June 2013 I had a 4 ton Nutone IQ Drive manufactured by Nordyne installed. I have had about 2 service calls a year. One to the tune of $1160 to replace the A Coil in the air handler. It keeps losing Freon. Now it is running constantly and just barely cooling. The installer is clueless. About ready to rip it out and go with a simpler system as is a money hole. Going to contact Nordyne tomorrow and possibly contact an attorney.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Purchased a quail ridge trailer manufactured by Forest Marine and sold by Suncoast Trailer in Florida in December of 2016, this was a new unit I was purchasing as a vacation place. In March I set the Gibson split unit air conditioner to turn on when humidity increased, to keep mildew and odors away. When I went back to trailer in September I found the unit was leaking into the bedroom. The mattresses, pillows were all moldy, the entire carpet in the bedroom was destroyed. Also, found the living room unit had leaked, there were dried water stains on my living couch and stains on floor due to leaking. I contacted the Suncoast Trailer dealer who referred me to someone at Forest Marine. I had tried to contact Gibson myself but was unsuccessful. Forest Marine gave me an AC repair company to contact, after they spoke to Gibson, they were not going to take responsibility for this system, they did agree to replace my mattresses as a goodwill gesture.

A local AC company came out who Gibson approved. The HVAC repairman found the coolant had leaked out, he inserted dye into the system, and returned in a few days to check the system, he found no reason for the leakage, only that a screw was a little loose, and this could possibly be the problem. He vacuumed out the drainage line that was located outside the unit and stated they clog, and that I will need to do this about every 6 months. I paid for service call, coolant... on day 2 after this repair, an error code of E6 showed on my living room unit.

AC company came out, they tested the system and turned board needed to be replaced - again I paid. AC company had contacted Gibson and they refused to honor warranty - even though I took delivery of this trailer in January 2017. In addition to all this, I had to remove the wardrobe unit in the bedroom because carpet was under it and it was soaked with water. I have pictures, videos, emails verifying all this. I will think twice before purchasing anything like this in the future.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

From the beginning I purchased my heat and air unit around June 2013. Since that date I have had to have two circuit boards replaced, three evaporator coils replaced, a blow motor replaced, compressor replaced, and have had to have the unit gassed up ten or fifteen times. I have learned that the company knew there was issues with their product and they sent out a memo advising how to fix this issue which is to replace the evaporator coil with a copper microchannel coil. I have a copy of a memo that was sent out Nortek employee Tim ** talking about the issue.

The problem with the coil that came with the unit is it allows too much gas to flow through the system which causes the unit to freeze up. When it freezes it then causes the gas to back up into the compressor which causes the compressor to burn up and causes the coil to leak gas. It also causes a lot of stress on the total system which causes all the other problem that I have been having. Now here is the fix. A copper microchannel evaporator coil which stops the system from letting too much gas to run through the system.

Nordyne knows this but will not provide the needed parts to fix it which means the system will always need repairs, having coils, compressors, or blower motors replaced. Now ask yourself where do you buy these parts from? Nordyne or Nortek Global HVAC is where you will be spending your money. So you can save yourself a lot of issues by buying from someone else. I am currently in correspondences with Nortek Global trying to resolve the problem but if that fails I will be filing a lawsuit against this company to collect the money I have spent on the unit and for repairs to the unit. If there are others out there that have been put out by Nordyne/Nortek Global that would be interested in being apart of a class action suit please feel free to contact me via Facebook.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We purchased this brand new system and installed in into a completely renovated apartment. It was used for 3 months and then discovered the entire coil had corroded and leaked all the Freon out of the system. Nortek did cover the coil, but our HVAC contractor had to drive 3 hours to the closest retailer - they would not mail the part - and then install it and add $600 worth of Freon. Freon is part of the labor and they would not compensate us for any of it - even though it leaked due to their faulty part! Plus we had to pay for the labor on top of that. We purchase and renovate properties all year round and I will never buy this company’s products again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Installed Frigidaire heat pump in my new home in 2008. Have since replaced condenser fan motor and 2 evaporators. Paid labor on evaporator. Installs both times. Nortek refuses to cover 3rd warranty evaporator under their 10 year warranty citing that my warranty is not registered on their website. Installer registered warranty in 2008.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Purchased the above unit in 2009. A few months later it didn't make its temp. Installer came and said gas was low so I had to pay for that & labor. In 2013 it did the same thing. I was told the coil was kinked from the factory & finally leaked. Had to pay the labor for that. In 2014 it leaked again and the coil was soldered & refilled. Again, paid for labor & gas. In 2015 it did it again and coil was replaced. Had to pay for labor. Now August 28, 2017 the evaporator has to be replaced. No idea what that will cost. I also got stuck for the increase in electric bills each time to the tune of an extra $50+ from the previous year. DON'T BUY A NORTEK (NORDYNE) PRODUCT. They make a number of brands so it would be wise to check out the manufacturer. FROM NOW ON IT'S CARRIER ALL THE WAY!!! I've called to complain but they won't do anything to compensate me for their extremely inferior product.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

We bought our Nordyne/Gibson system spring of 2016. We spent $5000 (which we are still paying the bank for) and have had nothing but problems and currently have a non working system. The valve on the inside unit froze soon after install and Matt, the one who installed the new unit replaced it. Then the whole outside unit went out this spring (2017) and had to be replaced again. Matt did it under warranty but fought with Nortek to get his money and a new unit outside.

Now our valve inside has caused the coils to freeze inside again. Matt said that Nortek knows of the faulty valves and are not doing anything about this. He is not coming back. Called a large company here in Roanoke, Virginia and they said (after a $99 service call) that we are looking at $671 to get the valve fixed and charge the system again. After my wife's cancer, I am the only income. We are stuck. I would gladly add my name to a class action lawsuit if anyone is doing one. They should have to replace all these faulty systems with another brand. My email is **.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Maytag HVAC system purchased 2010 with 12 years parts and labor warranty. They honor the parts replacement part of the warranty. However, they won't reimburse the labor part of the cost of repairs, saying that part is dependent upon the installer to cover. I called original distributor and they are in the middle of a lawsuit against them for labor not reimbursed as promised. He said that Nortek (formerly Nordyne) were reimbursing the labor portion for a while after they purchased Maytag and then just stopped.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Nordyne 3.5 ton central ac & airhandler - We purchased this unit January 2016. We live in southwest Florida. We were told it was a great unit. We didn't start using the air conditioner till the end of May 2016. After 3 months of use the outside unit froze up and started clicking on and off. We called the man who installed it. He came out at in the evening and checked it said it was low on coolant. He charged it up and it worked for another 2 months. The outside unit froze up again. We called the installer again. He came out again and checked it.

Again it was low on coolant, this time he said "There's probably a leak somewhere, the weather is cooling down, this should last till you don't need it till next summer, I'll come out January 1st and pressurize it to find the leak." BINGO there was a leak in the coil. He replaced it. We again started using the unit again at the end of May 2017, July 16 2017 the outside unit froze up and the air handler froze up. Called the installer again he said he would be out Monday. It's just WONDERFUL to sit in a home without air when it's 91 outside with 90% humidity after you purchase a NEW AC unit thinking you can count on it working. NOT!!! I believe it time for a class action suit against NORTEK GLOBAL HVAC.

Original review: May 25, 2017

We've had five service issues with our two Gibson HVAC units in the first four years of use, and have now encountered our sixth service problem. The upstairs unit froze in the winter three times in the first four years, and shut down each time until Nick from Central Heating could fix the problem. The downstairs unit failed twice in the first year, one time due to a sticking valve, and another due to a humidifier issue. Last week, our AC shut down, and we were told that our TX valve needs to be replaced, which is causing the coil to freeze. The estimated the repair, coolant, etc. was $948. (The TX valve will be covered by our parts warranty.)

We called Gibson, but they said they only cover parts, not labor or coolant, and in general seemed like they could care less about our issues. Also, Gibson offers a ten year warranty, but only if you register in the first 60 days. We don't know much about HVAC, but our Carrier AC unit in our prior house required nothing but routine maintenance for 25 years, and our gas heater went 15 years before needing a service call. Buyer beware, in our opinion, don't buy Nortek or Gibson if you're looking for a quality product.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I purchased a Nordyne heating and air system Q5RF-X36K 2/2011. April 16, 2017 unit was completely shot and they advised I would have to have the whole unit replaced and was told promptly after that that it was on backorder. I have waited almost a month without a system and I called into their customer service and the treatment I received there was about as insulting as having to replace a 6 yr old unit that they on BACKORDER. I called b/c not only had I waited over 3 weeks to get a unit I was told it would cost me 1042.00 and Nordyne would only give 250.00 credit towards the install so leaving me 792.00 out of my pocket for a unit that clearing a piece of junk.

I asked if there was something they could do b/c I felt this was unfair that I would have to incur this cost with such a new unit and they told me I had to negotiate with the company putting it in? Why they didn't make it you did. I asked to speak with a supervisor and they told me they had no one on duty? What? No managers?? I advised I would kindly wait till someone arrived and they would not hold one and transferred me to a voice mail that says they will get back with me in 2 business days. I called back. Now mind you I am not being rude I just insisted that I speak to a manager to which the lady hung up on me... I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I purchased a 4 ton Nordyne Gas packaged Unit that is still brand new as home has not been occupied yet. After the fact found out unit was installed without permit and in the newly categorized flood zone. City required unit to be moved out of flood zone or 10 feet above ground. In the process of getting quotes for the move, it was determined by a second company that unit is inappropriate for property. Not enough vents to function for heating or cooling. Unit cannot perform cooling on 2nd floor, will instead shut down before desired temperature is reached. E & H Mechanical, the firm who selected and recommended System and installed refuse to offer any solution.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I purchased a 3.5 ton Gibson heat pump in Oct. 2015. Since the install we have had 3 problems that turned into major problems. In May 2016 there was a leak in the evaporator coil. Called the company, got the coil covered but not the labor and r22 recharge ($1200). Then August 2016 a problem with several relays which wasn't a big deal only a small part and labor charge ($120). So here's the big one, 2 weeks ago the unit stopped producing heat so I had the contractor who did the install take a look, THE COMPRESSOR TOTALLY WENT! So after talking to the company they offer a replacement compressor but won't cover the r22 recharge again! Or the labor! So I got the bill for $900 recharge and $250 labor. I will most certainly be getting a lawyer. This company is a joke and I wouldn't recommend them too anyway.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Westinghouse/Nordyne heat pump was installed in our new house in 2010. Unit froze up in summer of 2016. Tech checked unit and said most of the refrigerant had leaked out because of leaks in the evaporator coil. I registered this unit for the 10 year extended warranty at time of installation. Nordyne said they had no record of the registration and unit was out of warranty. It is now December of 2016 and still have not got unit fixed. Very unhappy consumer!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

Now that I have read reviews, I have to agree, Nordyne units are a piece of junk. Had mine replaced today. Unit is approx. 6 yrs. old. Had many problems with old unit. New coil, freon problem, then the heat exchanger went. Paying all the labor costs should have been absorbed by Nordyne. Then it was replaced today (another Nordyne) with more labor costs. Now I have to live with this one waiting for the first problem. Scares me. When will they learn to make a decent unit that lasts.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

DO not Ever buy any products from this company. I have had my unit for 3 years. Last year the evaporator coil started leaking and is going to cost me $700 to fix. Now, my heat is not working... Why is it that nothing can be done about this!!! A lawsuit needs to be started against this horrible company with horrible products and the worst customer service.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

A couple problems with Nordyne, Broan, Frigidaire, NuTone, etc. (all the same company and product). They went bankrupt recently, so they are even worse than other manufacturers. The big weakness in even their high-end junk is the evaporator coil problem that will apparently never be fixed. Their distributors in our area don't want to carry parts, so everything is out 2 weeks. Do not buy this stuff. Any manufacturer is better than these clowns.

Nortek Global HVAC Company Information