LG Washing Machines

LG Washing Machines Reviews

2.1/5 (2596 ratings)

About LG Washing Machines Reviews

LG is an electronics company that offers a variety of innovative and state-of-the-art products for the entire home. The company's refrigerators feature advanced technology and innovative features like wireless internet and app accessibility, LG makes fridges for every budget.

LG Washing Machines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG Washing Machines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG Refrigerators?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

My sister in MN and I (in AZ) each purchased a new LG top loading washing machine in fall of 2019. We both have a problem with the washer leaving an ashy, white residue on all our black or dark clothing. It happens whether or not we have used soap and even if I just ran the cleaning cycle. Also, the dryer never dries a load of towels on one run. It always stops while the towels are still damp, so I have to run it again. I'm very disappointed in these two defects.

LG Washing Machines response

Hello Karibu. Thank you for notifying LG of the experience you have encountered thus far. This is not indicative of how we want our valued customers to feel. We’ll be happy to look into this and answer any questions that you have. Please send a private message so that we can assist you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My husband and I buy a washer and dryer at Lowe’s store!! Two months to the day our washer stop working, we contacted Lowe’s and they told us that we need to contact LG because the 10 guarantee, well has been Almost a month since our washer died on us!! Customer services send a guy to check and fix it!!! But he found out the part wasn’t available anymore!! This happened on 12/19/19 and he send the information to LG on the same day!!! We call the repairmen. What was the next step, he told my husband to call LG because the LG have to replace the washer!! We’ve been calling every day since two weeks ago and still waiting for LG to fix our problem!! Please be aware if you’re planning to buy LG washer and dryer!! Work for month or two and the problems you are going to have are worse!!! Get another kind but not LG!!!!

LG Washing Machines response

Hello Lily. Thank you for notifying LG of the experience you have encountered thus far. This is not indicative of how we want our valued customers to feel. We’ll be happy to look into this and answer any questions that you have. Please send a private message so that we can assist you.

LG

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Does not clean clothes. Had to wash a blanket 3 times and it still came out dirty. For the money I spent on this washer I thought I was buying a good product LG. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYBODY BUYING A LG WASHER !! VERY DISAPPOINTED! Owner manual does not tell you what all the controls do or how to operate them.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I'm another LG hater, and will never even consider another of their products. Our 2-1/2 yr old washer leaves either a black or a white fish scale type residue, which is worse after cleaning the tub. After talking to LG several times, we were told we use the wrong detergent, the wrong tub cleaning product (both untrue) and that we should just keep cleaning it. Our other choice was to call a service person at our cost. We are retired, and do 3 - 4 small loads a week. This shouldn't be happening to an old machine, let alone a new one.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Piece of crap top loading washer Model WT1701CW does not work! This washer, I was told by the salesman at Conn's, with which I am no longer doing business, was programmed by a woman. It ought to make her and her environmentalist friends happy, because it saves water. But if you want your clothes washed, you're out of luck, because they will not be submerged below the water level of only a few inches! LG is no help at all, refusing to do anything. No software upgrade, no repair, no reprogramming, NOTHING! Wash day at my house involves using a BUCKET to fill the machine to a level adequate to wash, then repeating the bucket brigade for rinsing, EVERY LOAD, EVERY TIME! Do not buy LG products. I also have an expensive Plasma TV that failed after only 12 years. What a rip off!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I purchased a LG top loader 10 kg washing machine. During a wash cycle it Exploded blowing the top of the machine right off. The force of the explosion was so intense that it smashed the near by window and sent shrapnel flying throughout the house. I contacted LG and asked why are these machines still in family homes. They need to be urgently recalled. After research I have found the same LG washing machines that have exploded in other people’s home. LG refuse to even replace the machine even with a receipt provided. These machines are dangerous. Please Beware when purchasing a LG washing machine. They are dangerous. I’m very thankful that I wasn’t standing in front of it at the time or my young grandchildren weren’t in the house. Very frightening experience and to think the company know these machines have the potential to Explode and do nothing. Very dangerous product.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

First time use my washer leaked. (It was not the hoses.) LG service to repair takes at least 3 wks to respond to see what is the problem, BUT COME ON! Then I am not sure when I will get a new one if can't be repaired. The business where I purchase first response, "NOT OUR PROBLEM! "

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I purchased a new washer and dryer from Home Depot in June 2019. The washer broke in October, 5 months old. I called LG customer service on 11/4/19. The sent a repair man out the following day. He needed to order parts, and said they would arrive the following Monday. I waited a week and no parts. I called customer service again and was told the parts were on back order, so they request a defective replacement. I called a week later, and was told the request was denied as the part was shipping and would be in on 11/26. I called on the 26th and was told the parts were still on back order and that they were referring it back to defective replacement department and they would contact me.

I called again today, 11/29, and was told she could not see that it had been referred for replacement and that I would need to call back Monday morning. So far it has been almost a month with no resolution in sight. Although after reading some of the other reviews, I may have months more of waiting.... Customer service agents are outsourced and speak very broken English. They are very unhelpful and they have no managers to transfer to. They do excel at giving you the run around though! This was the most expensive washer I have ever purchased. I am very disappointed. Side note, the dryer was broken when the delivery guys first brought it out, so they took it back and Home Depot had to order another one.... Thank goodness the delivery guys knew what they were doing, or I most likely would have been dealing with the dryer from day one.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I've had this machine for 6 or 7 yes now. I don't know who came up with the idea that the tub needs to be balanced before it adds water. It just isn't necessary and it wears out the spinner gears. I have had mine replaced. Just another money grab. Now I need to replace the drain pump. More money. I only do on average 3 loads a week. That's not a lot for me to have had to make 2 repairs. I don't recommend. LG makes a good TV. They should stick to that.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

From the initial purchase of a LG top load washer and front load dryer there has been numerous service calls and still neither work properly. The washer now stops numerous times and does not spin out, starts the wash cycle all over again, and repeats. Also, they are the loudeast appliance I have ever used. Truly a bad product with many consumers with the same complaints!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Bought brand new, very excited! Quickly became disappointed with the horrible smell. No amount of cleaning, wiping, draining valve on bottom cured this. We moved a couple of months ago and was more than happy to include this appliance in the deal! Don't buy!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Within 6 weeks of purchase, our washer would not turn on. We followed online instructions for a "hard reset" and were able to keep the machine running for a few weeks, then that process no longer worked. We called LG who scheduled technician. Purchase date July 26, first repair was mid September. Panel replaced. Washer worked for 4 loads and stopped turning on again. We called a second time. A week later a Tech came. He could not diagnose the problem even with another tech on the phone. Ultimately reported back to LG that our outlet was faulty or not properly grounded. We KNEW this was untrue because we had our electric upgraded years ago. We could not get another tech out until we "proved we had proper electric". We paid out of pocket $170 for an electrician to come and test our outlet and amperage. There was NOTHING wrong with our home wiring. He suggested was a cord issue.

We reported this to LG agents and were told a tech would come back with cord and replace. Tech came a week later. NO cord had been ordered. We were told it was on back order. This was third visit. Our original call to agents informed us that 3 calls to the home and our appliance would be replaced. That was third visit. (And it occurred on Oct 15 which was over a month without a washing machine.) We were told cord was on "back order" and would not be available until some time early November. Every time we called (four times) we were told something different about when the part would be available. The technician told us he would recommend replacement. He requested copy of receipt. We sent texted image to tech and assumed all was in place. Two weeks later, on Oct. 30 I called again for an update. I was told (after speaking to THREE DIFFERENT AGENTS) that the tech had not submitted recommendation for replacement.

Agent contacted tech who said we had not provided receipt of purchase. I was also told by agent "Arthur" that the part "on back order" had in fact been sent to the technician on Oct. 23rd. (Per Arthur this came from Jamie in parts dept.) I demanded replacement. Was told to upload receipt to a portal emailed to me (which I did) and a "replacement review would be implemented". Per agent Ivan this would take about 5 business days. The next day the technician called and wanted to schedule a Saturday visit for repair, because "miraculously" he did in fact have the part after all. My husband and I were both unable to be home, he worked and my father is seriously ill) so we declined that Saturday repair. I also was afraid that if he came out and was still unable to repair the washer it would cancel the process in motion for a replacement.

I also reported this conversation to Ivan, as he called me back that same Thursday to check in and inform me that he had received my uploaded document as requested. He agreed that another repair attempt may further muddy the situation. Six business days later I called LG again and spoke to agent "Mary". She said the technician had submitted a recommendation but not a "request" and the process had to begin again. I was furious. It was now one week into November and I am still paying for laundromat services to have clean clothes WHILE making payments to Lowe's for the non working washer.

Ultimately, I called from another phone to the tech on speaker (his number was on his business card) while agent Mary was on the other phone on speaker and insisted they speak to each other. The tech said he had "done everything he was supposed to do and was tired of people dragging him back into the situation". He hung up on me (the tech) and Mary the agent was very apologetic but had no recourse besides starting over with the replacement appeal. The next day, the technician called my husband and said he could come that very day and replace the cord. (Funny how when people are forced to communicate in front of the customer, miracles happen.)

My husband allowed him to come. He replaced the top selection panel, the "front panel" and the power cord. He said if the washer stops working now we will have to get it replaced because there is nothing left to repair. That was November 7th. One week later, the washer is functioning properly and I am still catching up on my wash. This took from September 12 to Nov 7th --FIFTY SIX DAYS (almost two full months, and nearly twice as long as we owned the washer before it stopped working), four technician visits, three parts replaced, out of pocket cost for an electrician to test our power (though we knew that was not the issue) and at LEAST 12 CALLS to LG to resolve.

I have been a home owner since 1991. NEVER EVER in my life have I experienced more frustration in dealing with "customer service". After the second unsuccessful attempt to repair an BRAND NEW washing machine we should have been offered a hassle free replacement. LG not only sells a product they can't repair, they have no willingness to make things right with their customers. I will tell everyone I know about this experience and discourage them from purchasing any product LG makes. I will never even CONSIDER their products in the future. "Life's Good" ?? Not for LG customers.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I purchased a LG WM3370HVA Front Load Washing Machine in the fall of 2016. Three months later the front control board stop working. I called LG Warranty Dept. A Tech was sent out a week later. The Tech order a new board. 2 weeks later the Tech returned and installed the new board. Two months later the electronic light board failed. LG Warranty contacted. Tech sent out to diagnose problem. New light board ordered. Tech returned in 10 days to install board.

Fall 2019 Washing Machine starts to knock and shake. LG Warranty contacted. Tech diagnosed the machine with a broken spider arm and leaking rear seal. LG stated they would cover parts but not the labor. Cost of labor repairs $300 plus. To say I am disappointed in the quality of LG would be an understatement! Tech informed me that LG is not building their Washing Machine with quality parts. They use white metal and not steel or aluminum to keep costs of production down. This attributes to very short life spans of their Machines.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

We purchased an LG inverter direct drive washing machine four years ago, there seems to be some sort of ash looking material on our clothing after the first year. Today the agitator bolts snapped in half and the large circular agitator in the bottom of the washing machine came off. I pulled out the agitator since it was broken and underneath was a ton of ash looking junk and gunk. Horrible product. Do not purchase. Very unhappy. I have to buy a different washing machine today because this one broke and it is horrible.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

New LG washing machine default wash setting of NORMAL only fills tub with about 1/4 of water. I watched a complete wash cycle and some of the towels were never submerged in the water. They did not get sloshed or agitated in any water. They just stayed in a pile above the water line. This is terrible. I called LG and they told me that was normal for the NORMAL setting to save water. If I put a lot of clothes in the tub I have to choose the bedding setting so the tub will fill with water and the clothes then get washed properly. I am so sorry I did not check and observe this as my 30 day free return period has passed by just 10 days. I would definitely have returned this washing machine if I had known it doesn't have a means to sense how much water to put into the tub. Also trying to get service on their website is not easy. I will never buy any LG product in the future. LG = Living Good, well not for me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have had this LG Direct drive top load washing machine for approximately 3 years. My laundry has never smelled bad but since we bought this washing machine I hate to do laundry. It NEVER smells good (always smells bad). I have done all the recommended precautions. I always use HE detergent. I leave the door open between loads, tub clean, bleach etc. Nothing works! I HATE HATE HATE this washing machine. If anyone reads this don't buy it. I used to trust LG but I think they should stick to t.v.'s!!! Please make them give us our money back!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

We purchased our LG front loading washer and dryer in 2018. Like many of the reviews I have read we too are very disappointed in our purchase. I noticed that the clothes came out smelling within a few months of buying and I called LG DIRECTLY as it was under their warranty but was told that I need to run the tub clean more often. Done that for over a year and also washed clothes twice - not efficient as waste of energy. We do have an extended warranty and recently a tech came out so I let him open the washer door as I had just done a tub clean the night before - it smelled like a rat was dead in the drum. He too agreed he had never experienced that before!

He poured half a bottle of my Bleach and ran the cycles again for almost 2 hours. Said the problem was fixed and if I experienced the smell again I needed to call them back thru Assurant the company who warranties the extended warranty. Did so and they declined to send a different tech saying that there was no mechanical problem. My clothes come out smelling and the even the dryer time has to be increased to double for the clothes to dry correctly. NEVER BUY THIS WASHER OR DRYER EVER. EVEN THE EXTENDED WARRANTY WILL OT HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM. I bought the pair from a very reputable store in the area but I believe that LG Is aware of the problems with the machines and do not want to take responsibility for the defects. I do hope this review deters anyone buying an LG front load direct drive washer and dryer.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Shortly after year warranty machine gives error code 6. Thankfully we had extended warranty. Service mechanic attempted to replace defective clutch after waiting a week for the part, but apparently the nut that holds the unit together corrodes so he had to cut it to remove. After waiting another week for the nut he replaced the defective clutch. Behold the new clutch is supposedly bad. After calling customer service at LG I was told to keep my phone line open and to expect a call from a technician. Sitting here waiting on a call wondering if we will be waiting another two weeks to have it fixed.

Thinking if this is going to become another lawsuit issue as they had with the first LG model? Water saving, that is a joke. Takes almost two hours to clean clothes adequately as you need extra rinse to get them rinsed properly. Then wrings them so tight you have to try too untangle them before you can put in dryer. Hope that by end of day something is resolved. Only good thing to say is the extended warranty people have been excellent trying to help, but don't think they are connected to LG.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Washer is staining clothing, and the stains will not come out. I've had 2 repair people (both sent by LG) come out and they have both told me it should be replaced. After numerous calls to LG, and their stating they never got any feedback from the repair techs, they finally tracked down the comments. LG has said that the feedback they received from the first service tech was he couldn't find the problem...and since he didn't even take out any tools to dismantle the machine, that is true. But when he told me it should be replaced, and that would be what he would communicate to LG, I believed him.

After asking for a 2nd opinion, they sent a 2nd tech who also advised it should be replaced. However, LG said that 2nd tech said it needed to be repaired but that I declined further service (which is absolutely false). Happy to have it repaired, replaced, whatever...just want to have a washing machine that doesn't leave stains on my clothing...but it seems LG doesn't want to replace a faulty product, nor do they want to send qualified repair people to actually address the problem. Super frustrated, and will never buy another LG product again, as this experience has been completely awful.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I purchased a LG washer and dryer about 6 weeks ago and is now a huge regret. Whoever designed these appliances has never done laundry. The most frustrating W/D I have ever purchased with the stupid bells, whistles and lights. Most of the different programs are useless and not practical. There's a thumping noise in the dryer when the drum is turning, not suppose to be there but as long as the drum is turning no one will consider it a problem, I will NEVER purchase another LG product again and I suggest you do the same.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

We bought our brand new LG front load washing machine 2 years ago. It already has a bad bearing. LG will not warranty it because I don't have an extended warranty. This is clearly either cheap parts, or terrible quality assurance on LG's part. Bearings shouldn't go bad this fast. Car wheels have bearings that last up to 200,000 miles. The customer service department there expressed that it wasn't really their problem, and continued to ask me to pay a deposit on service for the unit. Will never buy an LG appliance again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

If you want to throw your money down the drain just buy this washer. It has been horrible from the day we bought it. The guarantee means nothing, they want the owner to repair it themselves. I have had at least 10 washing machines in my life and this is hands down the worst.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Bought a top loader January 2018. Washer was no problem, on September 12, 2019 I hear this loud bang! No idea where it came from. Went to get clothes out to put in dryer and there’s the agitator flipped up on the side of washer!! Completely snapped from base!!! The only thing in there were 2 shirts, 2 shorts and 4 socks. The washer is a little over a year old. This is a complete joke! Beware!! After reading how LG responses to others and the $$ to fix their products is absurd. Please beware if you buy this washer. Not made well at all!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

We purchased a model WM3270CW Front Loader washer from Best Buy on 06/25/18. This machine was only used very carefully in our home. After washing a small load of pillow cases and face cloths I removed them and dried them in the dryer. About two hours later, on 8/30/19, we were sitting in another room of our condo and heard a loud crash. I walked around trying to find the location of the noise. It had come from the washer. The glass on the door had imploded into the machine tub. The door was ajar for air circulation so some of the shards also were on the floor of the laundry room. About an hour later there was another loud sound. This time the outer edges of the part of the door that had landed into the tub exploded off.

After various calls to LG and lots of conversations to try to get rid of me, I was told that they were referring this problem to their "safety department". They kept promising return calls within 24 to 48 hours but they never came. I finally was given a case number and was connected to their Escalation Team Department. This last conversation resulted in a visit from a technician from A&E Factory services on Sept. 10. He informed us that there is no record at LG of a door ever imploding. He said that LG believes we hit the door or caused the problem ourselves. We did not hit the door. No one in our home hit the door and there is no way that we caused the problem. We did not cause the glass to implode!

We are fortunate that there was no one in the room to be injured by the flying glass when the door imploded. I believe this machine needs to be recalled. There is a serious safety issue here that LG is not willing to recognize. Thank you for reading this. As you can see I am very upset. LG is really just trying to get rid of me and my complaint. They said this has never happened before. Now my online research has proved that this has happened to other people with LG machines. I am concerned about even using this model LG if it is ever repaired. We had a previous LG Front Loader for 8 years and had to replace it because of leaking and mold. I still have the dryer and bought this one so it would look almost the same as the dryer.

We were told that the mold issue has been taken care of with the way to keep the door ajar. It is much newer and is obviously not as well built even though the other one had several bad issues such as mold and leaking. I would never buy another LG appliance. The company does not want to know that there is a fault with this current washer. Someone could have been seriously injured.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Overall this is a great washing machine and works as expected. I purchased this washer 12/16. The plastic housing has developed cracks on the inside where the wash drum is, more of a structural thing and not mechanical. Contacted LG and they stated only the Direct Drive Motor was under any warranty, 10 yr warranty. I explained that if the washer housing was falling apart around the drive motor what use would the motor be. They offered a one time warranty that would have to be reviewed by their underwriters. I received a call several days later stating it would not be replaced. Just want to let others know to look for these cracks/flaws after a few years of use. Weak plastic housing and poor quality control. I will not be replacing or purchasing any LG products in the future.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

In just six years, this machine completely rusted through to the point in incontinence, leaking like a sieve. After six years of chewing my pants legs to shreds, we had this abomination removed in favor of another (Superior) brand. On the way out, this piece of crap dropped approximately one half pound of rust and some formerly steel plates that fell off after having turned to rust. All moisture causing this came from within the cabinet of the machine, the Laundry Room is well ventilated. I won’t trust LG on ANY products they sell ever again. Original price was slightly north of $600 and was sold by Lowe’s.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

This machine is suppose to be load sensing, but this function causes the washer to stop 5 or 6 times during the spin cycle. You have to manually rearrange the clothes, and even that doesn’t work sometimes. Whites, towels and jeans are the worse to try to wash.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Purchased LG top load washer from Lowe's this past March. I noticed issues with washer May. The Washer machine would not finish its spin cycle; stuck with one minute left for over 20 minutes. Stopped washer. Clothes felt heavy. Long story made short. I've had two different repair companies visit 4 times in a three month period for the same problem. LG claims part sent out was defective. Last repair person told me I can either accept another appointment with another part (computer) or ask for my money back. He suggested to get money back and another brand. Not LG.

When I spoke to an LG rep, he told me the report came back fine; no problems reported. I told him that is incorrect. I called the tech back and explained what LG said. He told me that is not true. However, it is out-of-his-hands. I called LG back, and came across horrible customer service. An LG rep hung up on me regarding to speak to a supervisor. I call back and ask another rep if I can schedule another appointment in order for tech to come out and reverify the same issue. LG rep said I couldn't make an appointment because the report said the machine is ok.

I am frustrated and saddened that as a consumer I can't get this resolved. I did go back to the store where I purchased the washer. They called LG. They told LG I wasn't satisfied with the washer and that I have a warranty. Mind you this issue is still under the manufacturer's warranty; less than twelve months. I also have a three year extended warranty. I do not recommend anything from LG. The customer service at LG doesn't care about the customer. I have more to say, but I won't. I spent a total of $700 for a washer that doesn't work. LG pretends everything is ok. I spend more time washing my clothes outside my home. This isn't fair. There should be a LEMON law for appliances.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Do not buy a washing machine from LG. You will regret it. I have seen nothing, but issues. After 2 years of owning one we started to have issues. 2 years! UE and OE messages would pop up and stop the cycle. Wasting tons of water and costing us a lot of time. Took me twice as long to wash things. I was able to make it work for about 2 years. Only washing things at night after work. Now the machine can't make it 5 mins without stopping the cycle. The LG site bounces you around and makes it very hard to try and request a repair. Their call line does the same thing. Came to this site and saw that many people have experienced the same issues. Very frustrating. I will never buy another LG product again.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Purchased thinking this washing machine was a quality product but the washer started leaking from the bottom in less than 2 years. The warranty only covers 1 year so we have to pay the flat fee of $199 to have someone come out and assess or agree to pay the parts and labour. We will never buy an LG appliance again!

LG Washing Machines Company Information