2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.7/5 (260 ratings)

About Gravely Riding Mowers

Gravely Riding Mowers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gravely Riding Mowers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gravely Riding Mowers?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

Purchased this machine recently and I am very pleased with the performance. I have about an acre of lawn to mow.. Traditionally used a John Deere S240 which was ok.. I like the fact that Gravely is MADE IN THE USA! Wish more people would buy from American made mfg... anyway, so far so good with the performance. Cuts very well and very easy to drive.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I purchased our mower in 2019 to mow 2 acres of relatively flat lawn after moving to a new house in a rural community in North Central FL.. The dealer was helpful, the warranty was generous and the first 25 hrs. were uneventful mower performed admirably. The following season started well but the mower would begin to lose power after an hour plus of operation. The only remedy was to keep the choke engaged. No problem, I thought it's under warranty, probably a simple issue perhaps a coil pack, a blocked carb. passage. Fast forward to late summer 2021 and my mower is still at the dealer problem unresolved (not their fault). My grass is almost 2 feet tall and I can occasionally cut it with a neighbor's mower or one borrowed from the dealer.

The dealer has done all they can do and has patiently applied every suggested "fix" supplied by Gravely to no avail. The dealer had finally had enough and demanded and got them to agree (Gravely) to supply another motor. Unfortunately I believe it will probably be another Gravely branded 26.5-764cc Loncin motor. Still waiting (2 weeks) for the motor to arrive and the grass keeps growing. I would not recommend a Gravely mower that has a Gravely branded Loncin motor to anyone and I am not confident that the new motor will be any better than the one it is intended to replace. It's a shame that it looks so good, just like it could energetically mow 2 acres with little or no effort. Alas, my mower is in repose at the local dealer.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I bought a Gravely 60 XL zero turn few years ago. I will never spend money with this company again. The design is horrible. Cannot keep hydro belt from coming off. Had to replace horrible plastic fans underneath each time belt jumps off. Will not keep wasting money on this lackluster lawn mower. Save your money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Gravely Pro 460 zero turn! Frame is excellent! The Yamaha motor is garbage! Mower has been in the shop several times for this engine! And now it's back in there again! News flash! Gravely all those jacked up Yamaha motors on your pro460 should be changed out at your expense! I'm a retire veteran speaking for my 76 year old father! It's a shame that your Company allows this to happen! But I can guarantee every military member that I know shall be informed of the poor quality and how you stand behind your brand! Will never purchase another Gravely ever, unless this wrong is made right!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Great machines. Hugs corners, eats grass and is built with quality. Very durable. It is good for serious owners and landscaping only. They keep up well in the winter too, I haven’t had any issues with mine for the last 3 years and the property that I use it on is huge.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I purchased a pro turn 160 on the reputation of the Gravely Tractor. It is 6 years old with 400 hrs on it. For the last two years it won’t run more than twenty minutes when hot. I have had regular maintenance on it as always made sure it was looked at each year. Last year the dealer had it twice and this year it is still not running, I contacted customer service last year and now again this year to get help with a dealer who could fix it but the dealer they sent me to is no longer in business as neither is the one I purchased it from.

With that said they sent me to another dealer which is the dealer I purchased it from who just changed their name and still after two weeks I haven’t heard back from them and the dealer never picked up my tractor. It is very sad to think that a company that charges that kind of cost for their products would stand behind them and at least update their site with dealers that actually exist, and help the customer to have a tractor that works. They are a company that doesn’t care about their customers and I would never buy or recommend their products to anyone ever again. I hope this review helps you when you are looking at a gravely, I suggest you please, look the other way.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I bought a ZT52HD to cut 6 acres. The first season was great. Then the mower would stall out. It's been to the dealership 4 times for the same issue. We keep getting told it's the pick up line or a dirty fuel tank. This is ridiculous. I've had it two years. I'll be looking for something else.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I purchased this mower 7 years ago and I expect things would need replacing belts, blades, tune ups twice a year. Perhaps even the pulleys. But the welding is coming apart on my mower. Please keep in mind there is no rust, I have the dealer service it most times with the tune ups. My property is flat with no major obstacles, just the typical, a tree, landscape beds and the house. I keep it in a Tuff Shed so it is a quality structure keeping the mower out of the elements. This weekend noticed the deck welding to the bar that has the wheels is coming apart. Dealer said not covered under warranty and would cost $90 to pick it up and $300 to fix. The welding should not be something that fails. Very disappointed in the quality of this product. I bought Gravely because I thought it was a quality machine and should last. Again I understand wear and tear but welding is not something that should fail.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I purchased a Gravely ZTX 52 in March of 2017 along with a 3 year extended warranty. In May of 2020 I started having issues with the engine losing power. I returned the mower to the dealer I purchased it from to get it repaired. After 5 weeks of being in the shop I was told the mower had valve issues along with a choke issue. The dealer refused to work on the engine because they did not want any liability, but would refer me to somebody else. I sold the mower to an individual 2 hours later making them aware of the issue and I purchased a John Deer 540M. With that being said, I would not recommend a Gravely mower to anybody! I have never heard of a dealer rep not working on the equipment that they sell even if I was willing to pay out of pocket! BEWARE of Gravely and Triple C Sales of Conway.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I purchased a Gravely Pro-Turn 60 #991220 on August 26, 2017. Fell in love with it right off the bat. Easy to handle, cut clean and mowed quickly. I started having heat related and starting problems where the throttle cable would actually get so hot it melted the plastic sleeve. And once it cooled off the plastic had melded into the cable freezing it inoperable. After replacing 8 cables (at my cost) I was finally able to get the dealer to add another heat shield which helped.

While mowing just a weeks ago I noticed an unusual amount of smoke coming off the engine. By the time I could get it shut down and stopped the entire motor compartment was engulfed in flames. I was able to get it out eventually with out the tanks erupting as they were full. The source appears to be an electrical issue possibly the solenoid. The dealer came promptly and took it back to the shop for further evaluation. Gravely sent someone out to inspect but I have yet to hear ANYTHING regarding the situation. The warranty expires in about 1 month and if this is indeed a solenoid issue I feel it should be warranted. I have always tried to keep clippings to a minimum and keep the motor area free from debris. I contact the dealer periodically and am told that likely it will be my insurance issue. Not sure how this is going to pan out but it does not look good for a Gravely replacement but with this recent rain I will need to do something very quickly.

Gravely Riding Mowers author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Gravely started in 1916 when Benjamin Franklin Gravely patented a motor plow. The company focuses on heavy-duty mowers for commercial uses and homeowners who spend a significant amount of time on their lawn maintenance.

• Stand-on mowers: Gravely has a less common riding mower type designed for standing instead of sitting. Landscapers get better obstacle visibility and additional maneuverability compared to sit down models. Stand-on mowers are typically used in lawns with many obstacles.

• Commercial: Most mower options focus on heavy residential or commercial usage.

• Price conscious: These mowers provide significant quality for an affordable price.

• Designed for all-day operation: The riding mowers have several comfort-centric features, such as an adjustable seat with a thick, high back design.

• Higher speeds: Powerful engines haul the riding mowers along at high speed.

Gravely Riding Mowers Company Information