2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

Gravely Riding Mowers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gravely Riding Mowers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gravely Riding Mowers?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I purchased a Gravely ZTX 52 in March of 2017 along with a 3 year extended warranty. In May of 2020 I started having issues with the engine losing power. I returned the mower to the dealer I purchased it from to get it repaired. After 5 weeks of being in the shop I was told the mower had valve issues along with a choke issue. The dealer refused to work on the engine because they did not want any liability, but would refer me to somebody else. I sold the mower to an individual 2 hours later making them aware of the issue and I purchased a John Deer 540M. With that being said, I would not recommend a Gravely mower to anybody! I have never heard of a dealer rep not working on the equipment that they sell even if I was willing to pay out of pocket! BEWARE of Gravely and Triple C Sales of Conway.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I purchased a Gravely Pro-Turn 60 #991220 on August 26, 2017. Fell in love with it right off the bat. Easy to handle, cut clean and mowed quickly. I started having heat related and starting problems where the throttle cable would actually get so hot it melted the plastic sleeve. And once it cooled off the plastic had melded into the cable freezing it inoperable. After replacing 8 cables (at my cost) I was finally able to get the dealer to add another heat shield which helped.

While mowing just a weeks ago I noticed an unusual amount of smoke coming off the engine. By the time I could get it shut down and stopped the entire motor compartment was engulfed in flames. I was able to get it out eventually with out the tanks erupting as they were full. The source appears to be an electrical issue possibly the solenoid. The dealer came promptly and took it back to the shop for further evaluation. Gravely sent someone out to inspect but I have yet to hear ANYTHING regarding the situation. The warranty expires in about 1 month and if this is indeed a solenoid issue I feel it should be warranted. I have always tried to keep clippings to a minimum and keep the motor area free from debris. I contact the dealer periodically and am told that likely it will be my insurance issue. Not sure how this is going to pan out but it does not look good for a Gravely replacement but with this recent rain I will need to do something very quickly.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Do not buy Proturn 460 with Yamaha motor! I purchased a 460 with the new yamaha 33hp motor at the beginning of 2018. Since, I had to have the first mower warrantied for a brand new one with another yamaha thinking the first one was a "lemon". The second one I currently have, ran absolutely horrible as well! My dealer, "Hedden Lawn & Garden" in Huntsville AL, is currently swapping the motor for a Kawasaki 36hp, on his dime, and "Gravely"is not doing anything about it to try and make it right.

My dad and I have used this brand for over 15 years and you would think our loyalty to the brand would've been enough to at least try to make it right. This being said, my dealer had to order a 460 Demo for me to use while it's in the shop, so I don't get even farther behind! Thank God my dealer is willing to make it right because Gravely sure isn't!

Original review: June 12, 2020

We bought the heavy-duty homeowners' model XL, not the commercial line with a roll bar but it has a welded steel deck and Kawasaki engine. From the time we unloaded it at home it was a problem, we didn't know the right front subframe was already cracked and as it sank it changed the parking brake adjustment so there we were with a brand new mower and the brake is stuck. How the dealer could have missed that when they were moving it around is a mystery. Of course we had no idea the subframe was cracked so a couple of years later the subframe cracked completely at the right front and left front which made the mower inoperable. The dealer said it was a known defect but Gravely never issued a recall and we were 2 months past warranty so the dealer said, "Tough luck".

Now the right rear subframe corner is cracked so I'm sure we'll get 4 out of 4 if we have it long enough. What kind of company skimps on weight-bearing steel and then won't stand behind it? On top of that Gravely put a terrible hour meter on the mower, it has an in between key position which only serves to shut off the engine but keeps the hour meter running. So if you accidentally shut off the engine but don't turn the key completely to the left you come back the next week to find 178 hours added so there goes your resale value and maintenance schedule. I would sooner cut my lawn with a scissors than buy a Gravely.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Problems since day 1. Belts keep jumping off. Kawasaki engine has dead cylinder. In shop now. Will not buy another one or recommend them to anyone. Kawasaki says it's my fault belts jump off and bad smoke when starting is normal for those engines.

Original review: April 1, 2020

After 800 hours one of the front bracket holding the right drive motor broke. I took the mower to the dealer. He said I'd need to take it to a welder, and he'd only seen this issue one other time. 50 hours later the front bracket on the left motor broke. The following year the back bracket on the right side broke. At the end of the 2019 season the fourth and final bracket has broken. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I was talked into a commercial machine by someone who worked at one of the dealers. I was told it was a great machine. The thing only has 700 hours on it. We have been through three starters all under warranty. The front wheel bearings are shot because they are not sealed. They have dust caps. The fuel selector that switches from one tank to the other stopped working. One of the gas caps won't even come off and I paid over $2000 for their bagging system which we have been through two blower housings. I was told by the dealer employees that there was a three year warranty. Now I'm being told there is only a two year warranty and I'm two month past the deadline. But when I called another dealer and he put in the numbers from the machine it tells him three years. Now the dealer says Gravely won't warranty any of it.

I paid a little over $14000 for the machine with the bagging system. I was looking to pick up two more machines but after the issues with this one and the back and forth with the dealer and the down time it may not be worth it. I thought they were making a come back because back in the day they were a good machine. If are looking to get their 72 inch don't bother. Doesn't matter what motor is on it or bagging system. It drops grass. My opinion is they made the mouth too big and it gets sucked back in and drops it at the mouth. The 60 inch is the better machine without the bagging system. They need to seal the front wheels so you aren't go through bearings.

I have run four different brands over the last 30 years Scags, John Deere's, Exmarks and Gravely. Out of the four the Scags were the best - the least amount of problems and breakdowns. They are the most expensive but like anything else you get what you pay for. They have turned me off as far as buying another machine. Good luck to you if you buy one.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

ZT HD 52 and have had nothing but problems. Keeps breaking down and I am cutting flat residential grass. WILL NEVER BUY GRAVELY AGAIN. GARBAGE. Drive line belt broke after 20 hrs and was told by dealer these never break. Had to be ordered so mower down a week. Then right hand brake lever rod broke after 35 hrs. It is aluminum, really, heavy duty and made of aluminum. Down another week because it had to be ordered. Very sad to say the least. Would not waste your money on Gravely.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I bought this mower about 8 yrs ago, 3500.00/500 off for trade-in (Kubota T-1400) dealer said it was new? Stoneham's Waynesboro, PA I looked at the design, the welded steel deck, two hydro motors, (left & right). The power plant is a Briggs Vanguard 18hp, not my first choice. I noticed also the muffler was too rusty to be new, I asked how long this was on the lot? "Oh, it's new, brand new!" The battery died following season? Replaced. The rear right wheel fell off and a stud broke free from the hub some 6yrs into the warranty. Gravely no longer carried the stud. I found a chevy stud same size with a slightly larger shank, pressed it in myself. Dealer said warranty expired, turns out it wasn't "brand new whenever I bought it", sat on the lot for 2-yrs! I always thought the warranty began day of purchase? Odd.

Upgraded the rear wheels with Larger Cub Rear Wheels. Replaced the crummy pneumatic front wheels with solids. The cheap pneumatics kept deflating while trying to mow! Had starting issues since day one, traced the harness repeatedly as it was now "out of warranty". Nothing showed up. Then the issue became more pronounced and it was in fact the solenoid! Lastly the left front hydro mount snapped off the motor dropped and the fan blade shredded! Somewhere in this process the brake jammed and the hydro motor blew all the fluid out! Took it apart enough to weld the L bracket up. Refilled the fluid repeatedly until it leveled out. Finally readjusted everything from the parking brake to the motion levers! Assembled on a Friday or a Monday in the factory! Lol. Still up and running and I beat the snot out of it! Should have a better hydro support design and a bigger engine, or at least the Kawasaki 24 hp.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Bought a 2019 Gravely ZTXL Zero turn in 6/2019. Rode mower into garage, turned off at key, set brake. The starter continued to operate with engine off. While trying to unbolt battery cable, with seat up, starter engaged and made mower move on its own, bumping into my motorcycle. Battery got fire hot and then died due to starter running. Took back to dealership for repairs under warranty. Solenoid apparently stuck open with direct battery input. Going to add a Kill switch to battery line. NOT happy with this product failure as it is a safety and fire hazard and could have blown up and/or destroyed our stuff in garage.

Gravely Riding Mowers author review by ConsumerAffairs

Gravely started in 1916 when Benjamin Franklin Gravely patented a motor plow. The company focuses on heavy-duty mowers for commercial uses and homeowners who spend a significant amount of time on their lawn maintenance.

• Stand-on mowers: Gravely has a less common riding mower type designed for standing instead of sitting. Landscapers get better obstacle visibility and additional maneuverability compared to sit down models. Stand-on mowers are typically used in lawns with many obstacles.

• Commercial: Most mower options focus on heavy residential or commercial usage.

• Price conscious: These mowers provide significant quality for an affordable price.

• Designed for all-day operation: The riding mowers have several comfort-centric features, such as an adjustable seat with a thick, high back design.

• Higher speeds: Powerful engines haul the riding mowers along at high speed.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team