2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.72/5

Gravely Riding Mowers Reviews

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I was talked into a commercial machine by someone who worked at one of the dealers. I was told it was a great machine. The thing only has 700 hours on it. We have been through three starters all under warranty. The front wheel bearings are shot because they are not sealed. They have dust caps. The fuel selector that switches from one tank to the other stopped working. One of the gas caps won't even come off and I paid over $2000 for their bagging system which we have been through two blower housings. I was told by the dealer employees that there was a three year warranty. Now I'm being told there is only a two year warranty and I'm two month past the deadline. But when I called another dealer and he put in the numbers from the machine it tells him three years. Now the dealer says Gravely won't warranty any of it.

I paid a little over $14000 for the machine with the bagging system. I was looking to pick up two more machines but after the issues with this one and the back and forth with the dealer and the down time it may not be worth it. I thought they were making a come back because back in the day they were a good machine. If are looking to get their 72 inch don't bother. Doesn't matter what motor is on it or bagging system. It drops grass. My opinion is they made the mouth too big and it gets sucked back in and drops it at the mouth. The 60 inch is the better machine without the bagging system. They need to seal the front wheels so you aren't go through bearings.

I have run four different brands over the last 30 years Scags, John Deere's, Exmarks and Gravely. Out of the four the Scags were the best - the least amount of problems and breakdowns. They are the most expensive but like anything else you get what you pay for. They have turned me off as far as buying another machine. Good luck to you if you buy one.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

ZT HD 52 and have had nothing but problems. Keeps breaking down and I am cutting flat residential grass. WILL NEVER BUY GRAVELY AGAIN. GARBAGE. Drive line belt broke after 20 hrs and was told by dealer these never break. Had to be ordered so mower down a week. Then right hand brake lever rod broke after 35 hrs. It is aluminum, really, heavy duty and made of aluminum. Down another week because it had to be ordered. Very sad to say the least. Would not waste your money on Gravely.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I bought this mower about 8 yrs ago, 3500.00/500 off for trade-in (Kubota T-1400) dealer said it was new? Stoneham's Waynesboro, PA I looked at the design, the welded steel deck, two hydro motors, (left & right). The power plant is a Briggs Vanguard 18hp, not my first choice. I noticed also the muffler was too rusty to be new, I asked how long this was on the lot? "Oh, it's new, brand new!" The battery died following season? Replaced. The rear right wheel fell off and a stud broke free from the hub some 6yrs into the warranty. Gravely no longer carried the stud. I found a chevy stud same size with a slightly larger shank, pressed it in myself. Dealer said warranty expired, turns out it wasn't "brand new whenever I bought it", sat on the lot for 2-yrs! I always thought the warranty began day of purchase? Odd.

Upgraded the rear wheels with Larger Cub Rear Wheels. Replaced the crummy pneumatic front wheels with solids. The cheap pneumatics kept deflating while trying to mow! Had starting issues since day one, traced the harness repeatedly as it was now "out of warranty". Nothing showed up. Then the issue became more pronounced and it was in fact the solenoid! Lastly the left front hydro mount snapped off the motor dropped and the fan blade shredded! Somewhere in this process the brake jammed and the hydro motor blew all the fluid out! Took it apart enough to weld the L bracket up. Refilled the fluid repeatedly until it leveled out. Finally readjusted everything from the parking brake to the motion levers! Assembled on a Friday or a Monday in the factory! Lol. Still up and running and I beat the snot out of it! Should have a better hydro support design and a bigger engine, or at least the Kawasaki 24 hp.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Bought a 2019 Gravely ZTXL Zero turn in 6/2019. Rode mower into garage, turned off at key, set brake. The starter continued to operate with engine off. While trying to unbolt battery cable, with seat up, starter engaged and made mower move on its own, bumping into my motorcycle. Battery got fire hot and then died due to starter running. Took back to dealership for repairs under warranty. Solenoid apparently stuck open with direct battery input. Going to add a Kill switch to battery line. NOT happy with this product failure as it is a safety and fire hazard and could have blown up and/or destroyed our stuff in garage.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I bought a Gravely ZT HD52 in 2015 from Hogarth's Lawn Mower Services in Brunswick, Ga. for $5,200. I have replaced more parts, electrical components and yesterday the back wheel fell off. Should have bought a Kubota.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gravely Riding Mowers?

Original review: June 7, 2019

Convinced by all the hype on how great these mowers are and that they never break down, I made a $5200 mistake. My mower is less than a year old and still under warranty. It is constantly in the shop for the same issues over and over. Apparently there is a battery charging issue that ruins the battery and and the battery has to continually be replaced. The mower might die at any time and not restart, so there is the fear of getting it too far from the house. It is supposed to be under warranty, however I have to always pay a big bill to get it out of the shop because they claim it isn’t warranty work. The only solution I can see to owning this mower is to buy another mower (not this brand again ever) so I can mow while it is in the shop for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. I could have purchased 2 zero turn mowers for this price and had one of them running all the time. This is a terrible product and way overpriced. I don’t recommend purchasing one.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

After having this zero turn heavy duty for five years, all of the bearings are out in all of the spindles. This mower has only been used to mow our yard. After contacting the manufacturer, I was told this is my problem not theirs. I will not recommend this product to anyone. I also purchased one for my daughter which I now regret.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Three of four tabs holding the hydrostatic transmissions snapped off the frame. Dealer said this was not the first he had seen it, and labor to disassemble and repair would be better go into a new mower. Despite marketing, this Gravely is not commercial grade (it was used 2 times per week).

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Owned it for 3 years now and since day one in repair and every time it goes to service 3 to 4 weeks. I do cry every time I look at this zero turn because for $3600 + tax and finance $4200 for piece of junk that nothing good about it. Every time I think about mowing with it falls apart. Not even that, if you miss one week of mowing my lawn terrible cut. I do sharpen blades. It just that 24hp engine not putting the power in the blades. About 20 repair tickets and I am still paying for this junk Gravely. Warranty run out. Afraid to use it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Local Bonham Tex dealer took a year old perfect zero turn for service and brought it back with 6 issues, like a broken gas gauge... And then said nothing happened. It won't zero turn. They won't fix gas gauge. Mower deck uneven. His brother dropped it off a trailer... And you can't get a hold of the company... JUNK. Do not buy overpriced!!!

Not sure about Gravely Riding Mowers?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Riding Mower for you.

Gravely Riding Mowers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Gravely started in 1916 when Benjamin Franklin Gravely patented a motor plow. The company focuses on heavy-duty mowers for commercial uses and homeowners who spend a significant amount of time on their lawn maintenance.

• Stand-on mowers: Gravely has a less common riding mower type designed for standing instead of sitting. Landscapers get better obstacle visibility and additional maneuverability compared to sit down models. Stand-on mowers are typically used in lawns with many obstacles.

• Commercial: Most mower options focus on heavy residential or commercial usage.

• Price conscious: These mowers provide significant quality for an affordable price.

• Designed for all-day operation: The riding mowers have several comfort-centric features, such as an adjustable seat with a thick, high back design.

• Higher speeds: Powerful engines haul the riding mowers along at high speed.

• Best for: Residential and commercial landscapers doing speedy maintenance.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team