3.7/5 (290 ratings)

About Gravely Riding Mowers

Gravely Riding Mowers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gravely Riding Mowers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gravely Riding Mowers?

Resolution response: Nov. 24, 2020

After leaving my review, Gravely made things right with my dealer and gave him a enough to cover my new Kawasaki motor, as well as paid for most of the labor too! I did find out they're finally doing away with the Yamaha motors.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Do not buy Proturn 460 with Yamaha motor! I purchased a 460 with the new yamaha 33hp motor at the beginning of 2018. Since, I had to have the first mower warrantied for a brand new one with another yamaha thinking the first one was a "lemon". The second one I currently have, ran absolutely horrible as well! My dealer, "Hedden Lawn & Garden" in Huntsville AL, is currently swapping the motor for a Kawasaki 36hp, on his dime, and "Gravely"is not doing anything about it to try and make it right.

My dad and I have used this brand for over 15 years and you would think our loyalty to the brand would've been enough to at least try to make it right. This being said, my dealer had to order a 460 Demo for me to use while it's in the shop, so I don't get even farther behind! Thank God my dealer is willing to make it right because Gravely sure isn't!

Original review: June 12, 2020

We bought the heavy-duty homeowners' model XL, not the commercial line with a roll bar but it has a welded steel deck and Kawasaki engine. From the time we unloaded it at home it was a problem, we didn't know the right front subframe was already cracked and as it sank it changed the parking brake adjustment so there we were with a brand new mower and the brake is stuck. How the dealer could have missed that when they were moving it around is a mystery. Of course we had no idea the subframe was cracked so a couple of years later the subframe cracked completely at the right front and left front which made the mower inoperable. The dealer said it was a known defect but Gravely never issued a recall and we were 2 months past warranty so the dealer said, "Tough luck".

Now the right rear subframe corner is cracked so I'm sure we'll get 4 out of 4 if we have it long enough. What kind of company skimps on weight-bearing steel and then won't stand behind it? On top of that Gravely put a terrible hour meter on the mower, it has an in between key position which only serves to shut off the engine but keeps the hour meter running. So if you accidentally shut off the engine but don't turn the key completely to the left you come back the next week to find 178 hours added so there goes your resale value and maintenance schedule. I would sooner cut my lawn with a scissors than buy a Gravely.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Problems since day 1. Belts keep jumping off. Kawasaki engine has dead cylinder. In shop now. Will not buy another one or recommend them to anyone. Kawasaki says it's my fault belts jump off and bad smoke when starting is normal for those engines.

Original review: April 1, 2020

After 800 hours one of the front bracket holding the right drive motor broke. I took the mower to the dealer. He said I'd need to take it to a welder, and he'd only seen this issue one other time. 50 hours later the front bracket on the left motor broke. The following year the back bracket on the right side broke. At the end of the 2019 season the fourth and final bracket has broken. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I was talked into a commercial machine by someone who worked at one of the dealers. I was told it was a great machine. The thing only has 700 hours on it. We have been through three starters all under warranty. The front wheel bearings are shot because they are not sealed. They have dust caps. The fuel selector that switches from one tank to the other stopped working. One of the gas caps won't even come off and I paid over $2000 for their bagging system which we have been through two blower housings. I was told by the dealer employees that there was a three year warranty. Now I'm being told there is only a two year warranty and I'm two month past the deadline. But when I called another dealer and he put in the numbers from the machine it tells him three years. Now the dealer says Gravely won't warranty any of it.

I paid a little over $14000 for the machine with the bagging system. I was looking to pick up two more machines but after the issues with this one and the back and forth with the dealer and the down time it may not be worth it. I thought they were making a come back because back in the day they were a good machine. If are looking to get their 72 inch don't bother. Doesn't matter what motor is on it or bagging system. It drops grass. My opinion is they made the mouth too big and it gets sucked back in and drops it at the mouth. The 60 inch is the better machine without the bagging system. They need to seal the front wheels so you aren't go through bearings.

I have run four different brands over the last 30 years Scags, John Deere's, Exmarks and Gravely. Out of the four the Scags were the best - the least amount of problems and breakdowns. They are the most expensive but like anything else you get what you pay for. They have turned me off as far as buying another machine. Good luck to you if you buy one.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

ZT HD 52 and have had nothing but problems. Keeps breaking down and I am cutting flat residential grass. WILL NEVER BUY GRAVELY AGAIN. GARBAGE. Drive line belt broke after 20 hrs and was told by dealer these never break. Had to be ordered so mower down a week. Then right hand brake lever rod broke after 35 hrs. It is aluminum, really, heavy duty and made of aluminum. Down another week because it had to be ordered. Very sad to say the least. Would not waste your money on Gravely.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I bought this mower about 8 yrs ago, 3500.00/500 off for trade-in (Kubota T-1400) dealer said it was new? Stoneham's Waynesboro, PA I looked at the design, the welded steel deck, two hydro motors, (left & right). The power plant is a Briggs Vanguard 18hp, not my first choice. I noticed also the muffler was too rusty to be new, I asked how long this was on the lot? "Oh, it's new, brand new!" The battery died following season? Replaced. The rear right wheel fell off and a stud broke free from the hub some 6yrs into the warranty. Gravely no longer carried the stud. I found a chevy stud same size with a slightly larger shank, pressed it in myself. Dealer said warranty expired, turns out it wasn't "brand new whenever I bought it", sat on the lot for 2-yrs! I always thought the warranty began day of purchase? Odd.

Upgraded the rear wheels with Larger Cub Rear Wheels. Replaced the crummy pneumatic front wheels with solids. The cheap pneumatics kept deflating while trying to mow! Had starting issues since day one, traced the harness repeatedly as it was now "out of warranty". Nothing showed up. Then the issue became more pronounced and it was in fact the solenoid! Lastly the left front hydro mount snapped off the motor dropped and the fan blade shredded! Somewhere in this process the brake jammed and the hydro motor blew all the fluid out! Took it apart enough to weld the L bracket up. Refilled the fluid repeatedly until it leveled out. Finally readjusted everything from the parking brake to the motion levers! Assembled on a Friday or a Monday in the factory! Lol. Still up and running and I beat the snot out of it! Should have a better hydro support design and a bigger engine, or at least the Kawasaki 24 hp.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Bought a 2019 Gravely ZTXL Zero turn in 6/2019. Rode mower into garage, turned off at key, set brake. The starter continued to operate with engine off. While trying to unbolt battery cable, with seat up, starter engaged and made mower move on its own, bumping into my motorcycle. Battery got fire hot and then died due to starter running. Took back to dealership for repairs under warranty. Solenoid apparently stuck open with direct battery input. Going to add a Kill switch to battery line. NOT happy with this product failure as it is a safety and fire hazard and could have blown up and/or destroyed our stuff in garage.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I bought a Gravely ZT HD52 in 2015 from Hogarth's Lawn Mower Services in Brunswick, Ga. for $5,200. I have replaced more parts, electrical components and yesterday the back wheel fell off. Should have bought a Kubota.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Convinced by all the hype on how great these mowers are and that they never break down, I made a $5200 mistake. My mower is less than a year old and still under warranty. It is constantly in the shop for the same issues over and over. Apparently there is a battery charging issue that ruins the battery and and the battery has to continually be replaced. The mower might die at any time and not restart, so there is the fear of getting it too far from the house. It is supposed to be under warranty, however I have to always pay a big bill to get it out of the shop because they claim it isn’t warranty work. The only solution I can see to owning this mower is to buy another mower (not this brand again ever) so I can mow while it is in the shop for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. I could have purchased 2 zero turn mowers for this price and had one of them running all the time. This is a terrible product and way overpriced. I don’t recommend purchasing one.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

After having this zero turn heavy duty for five years, all of the bearings are out in all of the spindles. This mower has only been used to mow our yard. After contacting the manufacturer, I was told this is my problem not theirs. I will not recommend this product to anyone. I also purchased one for my daughter which I now regret.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Three of four tabs holding the hydrostatic transmissions snapped off the frame. Dealer said this was not the first he had seen it, and labor to disassemble and repair would be better go into a new mower. Despite marketing, this Gravely is not commercial grade (it was used 2 times per week).

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Owned it for 3 years now and since day one in repair and every time it goes to service 3 to 4 weeks. I do cry every time I look at this zero turn because for $3600 + tax and finance $4200 for piece of junk that nothing good about it. Every time I think about mowing with it falls apart. Not even that, if you miss one week of mowing my lawn terrible cut. I do sharpen blades. It just that 24hp engine not putting the power in the blades. About 20 repair tickets and I am still paying for this junk Gravely. Warranty run out. Afraid to use it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Local Bonham Tex dealer took a year old perfect zero turn for service and brought it back with 6 issues, like a broken gas gauge... And then said nothing happened. It won't zero turn. They won't fix gas gauge. Mower deck uneven. His brother dropped it off a trailer... And you can't get a hold of the company... JUNK. Do not buy overpriced!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

It has been junk, Only worked half year then problems just treadmill for garage. Neighbor got a deer same time his still works mine has sit for 2 years. Junk stay away. Do yourself right just get a deer.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Lane's Hardware in Williston, Florida did not honor the appointment made and did not help me make another one. I took vacation to go to the farm specifically to have this done and I could not. They did not even try to remedy the situation. It was totally their fault. Now my warranty will not be extended for a year if I do not get this done. I have to now take this back with me 5 hours away from the farm and get it serviced to be able to maintain that warranty. Businesses need to make a wrong situation right. I have a business and if my employees made a mistake I would correct it immediately.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I purchased a Gravely mower (ZT 42) 4 years ago from Lanky’s in Dunn NC for $2800.00. I mow 3 acres a week with it and have only had one problem with the throttle. Had throttle and choke replaced with the new design throttle, old type was not very good. Love the way it handles and cuts even all the time, still using the same battery and it cranks up on first try. I will purchase another Gravely O turn when needed, I have recommended Gravely to others and after four years I am a satisfied customer.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I purchased a ZT42 w/ Mulch Kit & Rear Bagger on 4/3/2015 from Clarks Lawn & Garden in Greensboro, NC for approx. $3900. I was original satisfied until I started having control issues with right hand control, my supplier repaired it under warranty by replacing the control cylinder. Shortly after that the throttle control assy. broke, again my supplier provided new throttle assy. & cables which I installed. Two weeks ago the throttle mechanism failed again, broken cable & plastic assy., my supplier ordered replacement parts but discovered that the parts were back ordered. I am a relatively good mechanical background so parts on backorder mean you are having problems with this product. I really think the throttle assy. is a Mickey Mouse design flaw, why not have separate levers for the choke & throttle function. Sorry, I should have purchased the Husqvarna.

Original review: March 27, 2018

This mower (91574 -ZT X 52) has proven to be among the best purchases I have ever made in my 80 years. It is closer to a "professional grade" mower than any other "homeowner grade" mower. Standard with a foot deck lift, trailer hitch, engine guard, and heavier construction as to most other entry-level mowers, and about the same price.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Gravely ZT 52 HD Bad crankshaft after 121 hours - I purchased this mower in Fall of 2011 for over $5K... I mow a 2 acre yard. Last August, the bolt that holds the electric PTO clutch to the crankshaft sheared off, and it destroyed the clutch. I was able to remove the broken bolt and paid $350 for a new clutch. Exactly one year later (this August) I found the bolt had sheared off again. This time I was unable to remove the broken bolt.

While I was working on the mower, I discovered that the key way in the crankshaft had worn significantly. This wear caused the clutch to move ever so slightly every time it was engaged eventually causing the bolt to shear again. I have 34 years in the automotive industry and I know that the crankshaft was not heat treated properly. I have contacted Gravely, and have yet to get a reply even that the site shows a case number. There is NO way this should have happened with a properly heat treated crankshaft, especially with only 121 hours on this mower. I am very upset about this as I am a retiree on a fixed income, and cannot afford $1500 or more in repairs. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

We tried many other riding mowers. We mow 60 acres at home and then the fence lines in our pastures. We own two and for reliability, little maintenance, safety and mowing Gravely Riding Mowers is number one! The blade moves up or down with just a push of a lever. It can go over an uneven terrain.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I was in the market for a new zero turn mower. After reviewing all of the mowers in my price range (Hustler, Husqvarna, Toro, John Deere), I concluded that Gravely was one of the best-built mowers for my price range. I purchased a ZTX 42" for around $2899. The unit is residential class but built with features that would be found on a light commercial unit. After mowing with the unit for a couple of weeks, I have been thoroughly satisfied with my purchase. The mower has excellent power sporting a 24hp Kohler motor. The mower also has a 3 blade cutting system with a 14 height setting adjustable dial unlike the rest of the mowers in its class. Another feature I love is the foot assisted deck lift feature. If the mower continues to perform like it has you can consider me a Gravely customer for life.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I bought a used Gravely mower and took it to a gravely dealership (Johnnie D Shubert) in Newton NC to have it serviced. It seems like each repair they have done on it is not done correctly as it has to be taken back each time. No one else in the area will touch these lawn mowers. This leaves me with just this place to look to for repairs. The last time I took it in because it wasn't turning over, they changed the starter, the solenoid, and adjusted valves in the engine. Lo and behold, I get it home, the engine loses all compression. I take it back the next day they are open and before I can get it off the trailer, the mechanic says that it has a bad camshaft.

Why am I just now hearing about this??? So, luckily, my father-in-law just happened upon a great replacement engine off another zero turn that had a cracked frame. I took the engine to them of which they said it would be about 1 hour labor to replace the engine. The mechanic calls two weeks later and says he has 3.5 hours in it and says it won't run right because the carbs need to be cleaned! He asked if I wanted to clean the carbs. Well, duh! I mean you have already spent 3.5 hours when you told me it would take no more than 1.5 hours!

So yeah, I guess you need to do that. I called my father-in-law and he said "It sounds like they are trying to get over on you." My dad said, "I told you to buy a John Deere." So, I am going to see what the mechanic says in a few days once he gets these carbs cleaned. I've spent thousands of dollars there on my Ariens and now this gravely. I can't speak to how a new one is, but I can say that my experience with the authorized Gravely service has not been a good one. I am definitely NOT going to buy another gravely or ariens.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Industrial mower at an industrial price but cheap residential quality. My Gravely Pro Stance 48 mower has 4.5 running hours. Mower has broke down on me while mowing customer's yards 2 times. Dealer and Gravely (Ariens company) have refused to make this $8499 deal right. I received mower with no hydraulic oil. Charging fuse was not installed. And bad tensioner pulley. Dealer has had mower for 3 weeks and I still do not have a mower. Bad business! Avoid this company's products.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Purchased a Gravely ZT XL 48, had it 30 months, had 100 hours on it, and motor Kawasaki FR691V went dead. Burnt rings, still under warranty but denied by both Kawasaki and Gravely. Kawasaki said "I didn't do maintenance" and Gravely stated "motor issue was for Motor manufacturer". The reported issue was that too much dirt got in the engine, but here is the interesting part - only one cylinder had the issue. The other cylinder was fine no problems. Seems to me that if it was dirt coming in from thru carb it would pull dirt into both cylinders, but apparently the carb has the ability to just throw dirt into one cylinder...

So basically Gravely (Ariens) will not warranty their equipment. Despite they choose what engine goes on it. Just want to get this out there that if you're looking for a Zero Turn Mower and want one that will last... stay away from Gravely (Ariens) or any manufacturer that puts the FRxxx Kawasaki engine on their supposedly Commercial grade mower (reason is the FR is Kawasaki's lowest grade mower, It's FRxxx, FSxxx, FXxxx, the FX being Kawasaki's top grade). I have purchased a new Zero turn and it is a Club Cadet, it has a Kohler motor much less in price and it actually rides better, cuts better and is overall so far much better, IMO.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Did a lot of research and thought I was buying one of the more reliable zero turn mowers on the market. So far on the first occasion, Gravely 2017 HD would not start after mowing the 2.0 acres around my house. After sitting for about three hours it started fine and no one at the dealership could explain why. Today with 17 hours of total use it stops moving forward as I am mowing. Tried to get it to move forward or back, but neither would work. After having the neighbor pull it to my garage with his Kubota (a little embarrassing after I bragged about how good I heard the Gravely's were), I noticed the spring on the tensioner pulley was broken. Will have to take it back to the dealership tomorrow. I like the mower when it runs but two breakdowns with a total of 17 hours of use, seems like a lot of downtime for a upper level residential mower. Jury is still out.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Bought a new Gravely ZT HD 60 to mow 3 acres. First season seat breaks in half. End of first season, hydro oil needs changed. Turns out tube leading to right side hydro is too short. Sharp bend doesn't allow hydro oil to go from tank to pump. Next season. Blade hit a stump and tears a hole in the deck at the spindle mounting plate. Hole in deck on less than 3 year old mower? Gravely says deck will cost $900. No warranty. Of course I would never buy another Gravely. Mowed the yard with a smaller John Deere for 20 years. No problems. Gravely didn't quite make 2.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Bought a 2016 Gravely Zt 50 in May 2016. Paid $4300.00 With a bagging system. Had nothing but problems with it. The engine got wet from rain. It needed a time up. 8 weeks in the frame broke behind the seat. It took over 2 months to fix. After that it went in once a month for small problems. Had a deck and a drive issue in the fall. Took it in to get fixed and winterized it. Got it out in the spring. Took in right back in for a brake and drive issue. Picked it up. Used it for three weeks. Frame broke again. Now Ariens voided my warranty. But the place I bought it said for $1200.00, they can fix it. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I think it was a fair value and it works better than expected. I have never had any problems operating it and it gets the job done. I use it weekly and it runs just as good as the day I purchased it. I would definitely recommend this mower to anyone looking for a mower that runs smoothly and is looking for a good price. I think it was pretty average as far as safety features. Nothing out of the ordinary compared to other riding mowers. I have never had an issue with safety while using my mower. It runs very well and gets the job done quickly. The speed seems to be the same as any other riding more. It has multiple speeds so you can choose which speed you want. It is very durable. I have been using mine weekly and it has never had a problem. I have not had to replace any parts and it runs as good as the day I got it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

It was okay to use. Sometimes it ran rough, customer service was just okay. I would recommend but with hesitation. There are other brands out there better. It was safe and sound. I didn't feel any threat to it being in my way or if it would cause harm or property damage. There are certainly other things that could have factored into it being made more stable.

This thing was great with the current speeds and control. Never lost control and sometimes felt a bit out of control. It kept consistent speeds and didn't rev or vibrate when going full on. Stable, tough. But I did have to replace parts a few times sooner than expected. Nothing major but still an annoyance when you expect to not have to touch it much to begin with.

Gravely Riding Mowers Company Information