GE Spacemaker Microwaves

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About GE Spacemaker Microwave Ovens

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Spacemaker Microwaves Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Spacemaker Microwaves?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2012

I have a GE Spacemaker XL1800 microwave. I have owned it for 9 years now and it worked very well. It recently quit heating. I googled repairs online and it was amazing the number of hits out there with the same problem. One site said that the magnetron GE uses is known for failures. Several post said to call GE parts dept. and they will ship out a new magnetron, because there is a 10 year warranty on the part and this part fixed their ovens. I pulled out my manual and sure enough, the magnetron has a 10 year warranty.

So I called GE. I gave them my model and serial and they came back with this part only has a 5 year warranty. After 2 more calls, I faxed the pages of manual in to prove to them I had in fact a 10 year warranty. It took them another day to call me back. Finally, I received a call acknowledging that they now believe me that I have a 10 year warranty on that part. Now the excuses start all over. They claim they have never shipped this part out that it is a safety issue. I explained that the 15-20 post I had read all must be lying then. After several minutes of trying to explain my case, there was no resolve. I gave up. I then decided to go to geapplianceparts.com and check the availability of this part. Wouldn't you know that anyone can go on their parts website and purchase his part for $166.00?

I then called them back and asked for an explanation as to why I can purchase this part directly from them but under warranty they won't send it out. Their answer was again we don't and have never shipped this part. They also added that if I actually tried to place an order for this part, it would not go through. I explained that was odd since I did try this scenario and got to the point of having to enter my credit card info with no prompts that I cannot purchase this part. Again, the answer was we won't give this part out. Not a very good explanation. I forgot to add that the first response was that part does not exist on our parts site. I had to direct them to the site and give the part number. I asked why they are not honoring their warranty. They put the warranty out there. Their final answer was they could schedule a service tech to come out and I would have to pay more in labor cost than what the oven cost. All I am asking for is that they honor their parts warranty and they won't.

My recommendation is to never buy GE Appliances or anything that has GE's name on it. This is what happens to companies that get so big that they believe they do not need customer service anymore. Realistically, this part probably only cost them less than $5 and now they have lost a customer and hopefully everyone that reads this.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2012

GE microwave (GVM1540DM5WW) installed today does not heat - Brand new, fresh out of the box microwave did not heat food. I believe zero quality control at GE. Also, it is a space maker and I had no outside vent to install to, but because it had to be vent-less, I had to take the top apart and reposition the vents to point forward (instruction not clear on this so I was not sure I had been given the proper microwave). It also requires a filter ($25) so it can clean the air as it vents; the directions say it should have been included but it was not included, and Home Depot had to mail it to my home. The GE Profile (expensive) that I replaced with this new GE broke down 3 times. The repair was $300 each time and I had hoped that GE had fixed their microwaves, but I guess they're able to sell them to us suckers, so they have no motivation. Next time I'm buying a $30 countertop Hotpoint!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2012

I bought my home a GE Spacemaker over range microwave. Like many microwaves, it was working fine. Now the door handle and frame that holds the door handle has completely fallen apart. I'm furious! I am a small person and cannot believe how this could have happened. Now, I got to figure out to get this repaired..

Original review: Sept. 18, 2012

First the refrigerator, when it was about three years old I had to replace the motherboard. I paid over $300.00 to replace it. Second, the icemaker stopped recently along with the water dispenser. I called about the water dispenser after I had purchased a new filter, thinking that was problem. It wasn't. I have a warranty type agreement with a local company (not GE). Serviceman said the water line was frozen and said the refrigerator door did not have a good deal of insulation. Then the icemaker went a week later. In addition, the fridge has rust on it, as well as my dishwasher, and microwave. My microwave was recently repaired as well. GE is not going to get any more of my business.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

I purchased the first GE SpacemakerJEM31SF on 8/13/05 and had to replace it because the interior lining was peeling. The second one was purchased on 5/19/10. The interior lining is peeling in the exact spots that the first one peeled - on the top and the side next to the light. GE offered a $150 goodwill offer and I want them to replace it 100% (cost is $249).

Original review: June 27, 2012

Endurance of product construction - The frame of my microwave cracked and the light went out, which is difficult to change. I cannot find how many watts the microwave is for cooking purposes.

Original review: June 2, 2012

Poor design of the door/handle of GE Spacemaker microwave - The frame around the door cracked (bottom side) and the handle is broken at the base where it screws in. This is a poor design for the way the door is opened as this causes too much stress on the handle. This microwave was in the house when I bought the house and a previous house that we rented had the same microwave and the same problem. So the bottom line is, I really need a whole new door not just the handle. I think the operation to open the door of the microwave should be redesigned to have a push button that ejects the door open.

Original review: May 28, 2012

I purchased a GE JES140DN1WW model microwave 8 months ago and have noticed the paint is starting to come off the inside badly. On review of this problem, I found that it is not safe to even use this microwave in this condition and I have found a lot of reviews that have the same trouble, but GE did not do a recall. My microwave was manufactured in January 2010.

Original review: May 3, 2012

I moved into a new house in 11/2007. The GE Profile/Spacemaker XL1800 over-the-range microwave died on 4/2012! First, it stopped heating then the lights went out! It was not even 5 years old! I used it only for reheating things! GE customer service quoted me about $1,300 to replace (I did not think that was the correct price, but the microwave came with the house). She told me if it would be too costly to repair and I buy a GE replacement, I would get a $100.00 rebate certificate from the repair person. The GE tech (who was rude) came out to my house and told me it would cost about $400.00 to repair! I told him about the GE service rep who said how much it cost, and he assured me that was not the price of this microwave and that I just happened to get a lemon (since it was less than 5 years old)!

My sister-in-law's same microwave died that same week for the second time. The first was covered under the 5-year warranty for the microtron(?) tube. This time, the GE tech told her to replace it; it was no longer covered! What a racket GE has going. They put this microwave in all the high-end homes in this area. First, they get money from the builders and then from the home owners a couple of years later! Do I take a chance and buy something else and then have to pay to have it installed and lose the $80.00 I paid out for the GE tech?! If you have a choice, do not buy GE!

Original review: April 12, 2012

Microwave just stopped working after 2 years. It doesn’t heat anything up at all. I have to buy a new one.

Original review: March 13, 2012

I purchased my OTR GE Microwave on 2/20/2009 and on 3/9/2012, it stopped working. I'm very dissatisfied!

Original review: March 8, 2012

This microwave was paid $469.95 (plus installation fee) and installed on 05/08/2008. It has been used exclusively to make popcorn and to warm up foods. It is already all cracked inside, the magnetron has already died and the top part is already coming off. The technician (GE authorized), who came to see it, told me, "This is a piece of junk, a real lemon". I am very dissatisfied with this product.

Original review: March 8, 2012

When the door closed, the unit turned "off". The magnetron stays on, heating the inside of the oven. Obviously, the inside gets very hot and the unit emits an electrical burning smell.

The problem is a defective relay switch from the on/off control to the magnetron which sparks, overheating and fusing the connection to the point where the connection sticks. The "solution" is replacement of the control panel at my cost of $324. Problem, of course, is that the defective part is replaced with the same part, so the problem will recur. This is a lemon.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2012

Model: JVM1850 DM4WW; Built January 2011, Serial # AV913601B. A fire began within the wall of the unit directly behind the control panel. No mistake, misuse or error on my part at all, it simply burst into flames! I did research on the matter, there are many similar scenarios around the country. Do not buy!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2012

I have had my GE Spacemaker for 2 years and went to change the underneath light bulb. The bulb separated from its base and fried the whole microwave.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

I bought microwave on Dec 10 and it got so hot I couldn’t use it. I’m scared of fire. I didn’t save the receipt. I bought it at Lowe’s in Weymouth, MA.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

I bought a GE microwave (model hvm1540dn1ww) in 2009. It stopped working today January 25, 2012. It lasted 2 years. I will not buy GE brand.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2012

I became the owner of a GE jvm1320bb 01 over the range microwave oven when I bought my house. The door handle was broken and it cost $40.00 to replace. Give me a "break". $40.00 for a cheap piece of plastic! It should not have cost more than $10.00 and I will be very careful in the future to not buy any microwave ovens with this type of door design.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2011

I had the magnetron in my GE Spacemaker replaced 1 1/2 years after it was purchased. The replacement date was 9-4-08. The service tech told me I had a 5 year warranty on the replacement. On 12-27-11, the magnetron is bad again. GE said that they have no record of that transaction and that the company that did the service has been sold and GE doesn't use them anymore. I have been reading the numerous complaints from people about this problem, so I have the feeling that GE is being less than cooperative.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2011

I bought my new house in 2008 and I got a microwave installed along with the other appliances. The Magnotron on my GE profile microwave part# OM75P(10) made by Samsung failed withing one and a half year of use. GE won't cover warranty. They also give the runaround and this was a very expensive product. To everybody, don't buy any microwaves until they fix this problem.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2011

I bought my house in 2004 with a GE Spacemaker microwave oven already installed. The entire kitchen had been remodeled less than 5 years prior. The magnetron failed in 2006 and I replaced the microwave with the same model since the cutout was the same. The magnetron in the new Spacemaker just failed again two days ago. This appears to be a manufacturing defect with the GE Spacemaker and I am not happy about buying a third microwave (the part is too expensive to replace).

Original review: Nov. 27, 2011

My Magnetron got broken after 7 years. It cost a lot of money to replace it, since the warranty does not include labor.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2011

I purchased my home in March 2001 with a GE Spacemaker Microwave. The magnetron failed in January 2006. I took it to a certified repair shop who had it for 6 months because they couldn't get the part in. The part was under warranty but I paid $55 in labor. The magnetron has failed again in September 2011, but they say the replaced part is not under warranty. The part alone is $177!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2011

Brand new kitchen, purchased the microwave to go over my stove to save space and vent. After about 10 months, I noticed stress fractures all around the facing of the oven. After a very little research, I found that the company had been aware of this problem since 1999! The plastic can't take the steam from a stove. After many stressful conversations with many levels at GE, they finally agreed to supply the replacement parts, if I paid for the labor. They would not answer my question as to the quality of the material used in the replacement parts. Guess what? My door handle is loose from the cracking in the plastic again. So after12 years of using inferior materials and knowing about it, they continue to rip off the public! Buyer beware!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2011

We moved into our house last year and it already had a GE Spacemarker Microwave. I cannot say that I have ever had any major issue with it until yesterday. The GE Spacemarker on its own turned on and started heating but without the turntable moving. The microwave was hot to touch and would not respond to keypad. My spouse unplugged and we left it unplugged. After a night, we plugged it in this morning, similar issues, the light was on inside and you could see the unit power surging. I am so glad we were home. I really think it could have caught the house on fire.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2011

I bought a premium GE Profile Microwave Convection for $700 in 2008, replacing a GE Spacemaker that had lasted eleven years. It was fixed once, under warranty, within the first year. Last month, it stopped working and I called their factory service and eventually Consumer Relations toll-free.

I was willing to pay $200 to fix it and I was obligated to pay $79.95 service call. The technician came out and said that it would cost $211 for part/labor to fix due to thermostat failing. I authorized it; he came out later and put the part in and left. The clock, light, and vent worked, but the first time I used it, it did not cook. The second visit revealed that it would take another $330 to fix. I felt like they should refund me the amount which I paid over the $79.95, but they talked me into a deal to replace it. They used a nasty local vendor to bring it out and they would not install the oven and left it at my house.

Today, I finally cancelled any further dealings with them. They are hard to get hold of and won't put anything in writing. They never took ownership of poor service, poor diagnosis and ultimately a lemon product that they would not back.

I am out $900 for a product that lasted three years and GE is out of a future customer.

Original review: July 23, 2011

I just want to make a correction on a previous complaint. Earlier in the day, I sent a complaint on my Spacesaver microwave. I should have written Spacemaker, and not Spacesaver. There was a small fire above the control panel, but no physical damage on my microwave.

Original review: May 10, 2011

I purchased a Spacemaker Microwave with model number HVM1540DN1WW several years ago. It seemed a nice addition to my new kitchen. I purchased all GE, so that everything would match. Well, the control PNL failed.

I contacted Customer Relations and got a mouthful of how great they are, and they offered to send me a new board for $80.00. I asked, "Well, can I get a guarantee it won't blow the PNL again?" The answer was no. I said, "Well, I only paid $200 for the unit. Why would I invest another $80 if it may blow again?" They were not interested in sending me a replacement board. Do not buy GE!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2010

I have a General Electric Spacemaker Microwave Oven and have had to replace the handle three times in six years. Since it's an installation, it's expensive to find and install a replacement. The plastic handle costs $30+ dollars and the same thing happens over and over: the bottom plastic breaks where the screw shallowly goes in.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2010

The GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven was purchased for the home we purchased 4 years ago. The frame around the window of the door is completely gone and the glass is about to fall out. It started a long time ago and just was annoyed by its appearance. Now I'm afraid to open the door to use it.

GE Spacemaker Microwaves Company Information