Frontdoor

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

ARW Home

ARW Home Reviews

About Frontdoor

Frontdoor provides expert consultations through your mobile device. By downloading the app, you earn one free video chat with a vetted expert. Using Frontdoor, you connect with trusted repairers in your area and have access to how-to resources for home maintenance. Based on the membership plan you choose, you may also be eligible for discounts on services and appliances.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Free how-to resources
    • One free video chat session
    • App available nationwide
    Cons
    • Limited to three live chat calls with experts
    • Premium plan only available in select locations

What is Frontdoor?

Frontdoor makes insurance claims and consultations available over an app rather than a website or lengthy phone call. As an alternative to setting up a consultation with a home repairs expert in the future, Frontdoor allows you to get in touch with experts on the spot.

The app provides a list of home repair pros in your area right when you sign up. This way, you don’t have to go through the hassle of searching for a licensed repairer. Frontdoor lists its preapproved pros with skills in plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, and heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC).

How does Frontdoor work?

When you begin to have a maintenance issue, you can open the Frontdoor app. The app will start by asking you some questions about the issue in your home. These questions help narrow down where the problem is and what brand of appliance has been affected.

Once you have answered these questions, the app puts you through to a local specialist with its live video chat feature. You can ask the maintenance specialist questions and figure out how to fix the problem on the spot or determine whether you need to take further action.

By downloading the app, you also gain access to other home maintenance articles with tips on how to fix small, common mishaps on your own. Some plans also provide discounted maintenance products.

Frontdoor plans

Frontdoor offers three different plans: Frontdoor Basic, Prime and Premium.

Frontdoor Basic (free):

• One free live video chat with a vetted expert
    • List of local professionals
    • Access to free home maintenance resources
    • Available nationwide

Frontdoor Prime ($99 per year) includes access to free resources plus:

• Three total live chat sessions with an expert
    • Discounts on air conditioning and heating system replacements
    • Discounts on home service products
    • Available nationwide

Frontdoor Premium ($35 per month) includes all Frontdoor Prime resources plus:

• Flat $100 service fee for covered electrical, plumbing and appliance repairs
    • The option to add more coverage for a higher monthly fee
    • Flat $100 service fee for maintenance and cleaning services
    • Track service requests through the app
    • A personal vetted repairer

Frontdoor costs

The Frontdoor app itself is free to download and offers an array of free resources for home maintenance, as well as one video chat with a repair expert. However, it also offers membership plans as listed above. Frontdoor Prime pricing starts at $99 per year, and Frontdoor Premium pricing starts at $35 per month. These plans come with various perks and can be somewhat personalized with extra purchases based on your specific needs.

Frontdoor FAQ

How does Frontdoor choose video chat experts?

Video chat experts have a minimum of five years of experience and some kind of teaching or mentoring knowledge.

Does Frontdoor allow for plan upgrades?

Yes, you can upgrade your plan on the home screen of the app.

If I cancel my plan through Frontdoor will I be refunded?

No. Because the Prime membership payment is on a yearly basis, you cannot be refunded.

Where do I download the Frontdoor app?

The app is available on the Apple App Store or Google Play.

Is Frontdoor worth it?

The Frontdoor app can make filing claims and expert consultations more accessible. However, video chats with experts and coverage are limited, so make sure that the services provided are enough to fit your needs.

Frontdoor Reviews

Stars Rating

• 33%
    • 67%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontdoor?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontdoor?
      Price

Reviewed April 3, 2024

My husband downloaded the app a few months ago and used his one free video chat with the experts. He enjoyed it so much that he signed up for Frontdoor Unlimited for $25. A few days ago he woke up around 545 and the thermostat was not working. He is handy so he fiddled with it for a bit, but could not get our heat to work and it was cold!! With 2 babies in the house this was not good. A little after six he opened up the app and started a video chat with a technician. The tech had him point his camera at a few different areas so he could get the details and then asked him to wait while he pulled up the information. Within 10 minutes he had our heat on!!!! Talk about a relief at 6 am!! And it didn't cost us anything!! With unlimited video chats this app will definitely be on our family's phones for a long time to come!!!

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceTechPrice

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2024

This company is a joke! I had a refrigerator service and the technician charged $630+taxes for a part that directly from GE costs $71. They admitted by phone that every technician have the parts and they put the price they want without any control from the company…. Really??? They represent the company but they are not supervised at all. Just do yourself a favor and stay away… far away.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Verified purchase
        PriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2024

Don’t trust them. They make their money of diagnosing and pricing the repair high so you don’t go with them. I hired them because my dishwasher wasn’t draining the water. “Repairman” in less than 5 min said it would start at $350 so we passed on getting it repaired. That night my mom who has no experience unbent the pipe and fixed the issue of the water not draining. I reported this issue with Frontdoor and they apologized but said they don’t issue refunds.

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 11, 2024

I have requested service to fix my stove burner. A person arrived on 12/7/2023 and informed me the pilot switch need replacing and will take about a week to get parts and will return on 12/15/2023. He collected $168 for the parts and labor. In the 15th no one came got a text stating the parts were delayed and will be back on the 12/22/2023. No one came but another text stating parts are not there and need additional week. I called the company and canceled the service and they offered a refund within five business days. Ever since then I was in contact with a person named Kevin for almost week about the refund. Every he excuses varies from waiting on accounting to money should’ve deposited in our account. Today when I requested to speak to a manager, he said no one is available and hung up on me. This business is pretty shady and a fraud.

Punctuality & SpeedRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2023

Tech came out twice. Did not have the proper tools and failed to pull error codes on the washer. Tried to tell me the motor is bad on the washer. I troubleshot the issue myself and found only the shift actuator was bad, a $20 part. Company refuses to refund my diagnostic cost because I am not a certified tech even though I fixed what their tech could not. This company is a waste of time and money.

Customer ServiceTechOnline & App

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2023

When something is broken in my house I look for possible fixes in YouTube videos, but I can't always find an accurate diagnosis of my particular problem and I often spend a lot of time searching without knowing for sure I'll find what I need. I ran across an ad for the Frontdoor app, and the first time I used it I was blown away! It took less than two minutes to connect with a technician who correctly diagnosed the rapid, loud clicking sound my dryer was making as lint built up on the motor fan. (I had found NOTHING even close to that in internet searches).

Using the camera on my phone he walked me through the entire process of removing the dryer top, door, bottom panel, and fan cover. He then waited while I cleaned caked on lint from the fan blades and guided me through the reassembly process. He was very patient throughout, saying several times he was going to stick with me until the job was done. Safety was very important to him. He made me show him that the dryer was disconnected from power and warned me about possible sharp edges on parts. There is nothing better than a totally free repair!

A few weeks later I used the app when the pressure sensitive "buttons" on my range display started to fail, one-by-one. This time the technician guided me through the diagnosis process, determined the display had to be replaced, gave me the part number, and told me once I had purchased one to call back for the installation instructions.

Once again, he patiently guided me through the installation. Several times he took snapshots of the front panel as I was disassembling it for reference when "we" later put it back together, and he could circle areas on the phone's camera display where bolts went, cable connections had to be made, etc. This is a perfect pairing of phone and remote session technology to get these jobs done!

Quick and easy. Find a home warranty partner now.

Frontdoor Company Information

Frontdoor
          www.frontdoor.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: