Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

99 Frigidaire Air Conditioner Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2016

I have two Frigidaire Air conditioners and we had the Air tested because our AC guy said it was mold. Now I see on the net here that in fact it is a common problem for other clients also. I bought the unit at Lowe's recently and now both units are full of mold.

Original review: June 3, 2016

I purchased a window AC unit for a house being built along with many other appliances. I called Frigidaire with the model number and asked their parts department if I needed a wall sleeve if not being put into a window. I was told there was a wall sleeve for that unit and I purchased it during that call. A little over 90 days later, I am actually putting in the AC unit and while reading the directions, realize it does not need a separate wall sleeve. (Fault #1) They should have been able to tell me that information before I bought it. So I call Frigidaire back and am told it is past the strict 90 day return policy. But, during that call, they realize that they sent the wrong sleeve. So they offer to send me the correct sleeve, 2nd day air. They won't take back the wrong sleeve because it's past the 90 days, but they will 2nd day air the correct one. Does that make good financial sense?

Thinking it's more expensive to send me another one, I ask to speak to a supervisor. She repeats the return policy and when I question the sense in that, she ends the phone call stating a call tag will be issued for the return. 3 weeks later I called with the wall sleeve still sitting at my house and immediately spoke with another supervisor (I have these names) and was told that he would check into this and get back to me within 3-4 business days. 3 weeks later I call back and speak to a Customer Resolution Supervisor (I believe) and am told that she will look into this matter and get back to me in 2-3 business days. 3 weeks later I call back and am directed to a "Corporate" consumer support person, who once again, said a call tag was supposed to be issued, and would get back to me in the next couple days. That is as of today.

Frigidaire's website for consumers shows a toll free number for customer support, but redirects you to call a (706) area code number and then encourages you to try back later. Yesterday, all customer support staff were unavailable per message. What a runaround just to get some response & resolution! I have never had such poor customer service in 58 years, which is why I'm taking the time to write this. Frigidaire is owned by LG. I will never buy another Frigidaire appliance if that is what I have to go thru for help.

Original review: April 29, 2016

Bought their 25,000 BTU unit for attached porch on mobile home. Previously had GE unit which gave great service for 12 years. This unit was junk from the day I bought it. Would only cool when it felt like it. Set it at 72 degrees and the room is 80 and the compressor would not go on; even if turned down to 65. Barely worked for 3 years and the fan motor blew out. No warranty coverage and repairs would be as much as buying a new unit. Paid over $600 for a hunk of junk that never worked properly and falls apart in 3 years!

Original review: April 20, 2016

PSRD036K - This is the worst Air Conditioner I have ever experienced! Since the purchase with my quote FREE cleanings there is always a problem. First cleaning needed a acid wash because of mold - 400.00. Second cleaning needed a complete cleaning so bad. The TECH wouldn't UV lighting for 3,000.00. Had someone else install and clean it for 660.00 - included a cleaning. Nothing but a complete ripoff! This year here they come again and say mold again. Need replacement bulbs - another transformer full of mold again. I have never had so much problems with mold and a air conditioner in my life! I am HIGHLY allergic to mold so this scares the crap out of me. This was not a cheap unit to purchase. Why do I have to keep dumping money into a new air conditioner??? DO NOT RECOMMEND FRIGIDAIRE EVER! My neighbors don't have one and they do not have problems like me.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2016

Unit installed Nov 17, 2011. Compressor failed 5/14/14 - $385. Coil leak 9/15/15, added freon - $255. Could not find leak. Leak found after waiting 4 months for a promised return visit. Evaporator coil needs to be replaced - $485. There is no question that the unit is a lemon. Service tech told me that custom cooling does not carry this line any longer. Asked custom cooling what they were going to do to make me happy.

They gave me tel. no. of Frigidaire customer service. They offered a replacement unit at a $1000 discount. They offered $100 off of the repair estimate. So after owning the unit for 38 months I have had two major component failures. That means on average I have had a major equipment failure every 9.5 months. I was informed by a very reliable source that the units were made in China. Customer service at Frigidaire was totally useless. Kept repeating parts are under warranty. Not yet deceive on repair or new unit from another source. Do not buy a Frigidaire product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frigidaire?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

Save your money on the extended warranty from Electrolux. Repairmen twisted themselves into pretzels to find a way not to replace the compressor. It came down to that we had not had the air conditioner "cleaned", even though the warranty did not cover that and it would cost $320.00, so, therefore, they could not service it. I have cancelled the rest of the extended warranty and will receive a small refund back, but the compressor in the air conditioner continues to be so loud that it runs everyone out of the room. Now I see why everyone laughs at purchasing an extended warranty.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2015

I bought a Frigidaire air conditioner from PC Richards last week. After installing I noticed a very loud sound emanating from the machine. I called the Frigidaire/Electrolux support line and was given a number to call about the issue. I called and explained the issue and the customer service tech stated that they would not send a technician, even though my warranty was valid and in full force, because they do not do repairs to 12000 BTU or less air conditioners. They just refund the money paid upon proof of valid receipt after 30 days.

I informed them that this is not in the warranty literature. They acknowledged that fact but stated that they have an internal policy that states they will not repair 12000 BTU or lesser air conditioners. I asked for a copy of this language and they did not provide such. Rather they just restated in writing their position. I further explained that I cannot buy a new A/C unit for what I paid because it was on a deep sale, but they would have none of it. I want to sue them in small claims court in NY, can anyone help me?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

6/2012 is when I got a Frigidaire 8000 or 8500 BTU AC. Paid close to $500 w/ tax. It was in the middle of a heat wave. It doesn't cool as good as my 5100 BTU bedroom GE AC. I feel totally ripped off considering the poor cooling and the ridiculous price I paid.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I cannot believe that they actually sell stuff that Mold can grow out of it, and the way I found out was being sick and having breathing problems. Way to go Frigidaire.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

I bought a Frigidaire Air Conditioner on August 6, 2012 and at that time purchased an extended warranty. About July 5, 2015 my AC started to blow hot air. I called Frigidaire a few days later and was given an appointment for July 21 at which time a "technician" came to assess the problem. A part was necessary and he said it would take a few days and then he would install it. The part was not ordered until July 24th and arrived at my apartment on July 31st. I called Top Digital (that's the repair place) on August 1st and they came to install the part, today, August 4th. It was not the part that was needed and the repairman said he orders the smallest part first and then when it doesn't work he orders the next one. The AC needs a compressor he thinks and if that doesn't work Frigidaire will possibly give me a new AC.

I spoke with Frigidaire and they are again ordering the part to be delivered to me and I will again need to wait for some other repair service to install and see if that's what's needed. My frustration is painful. I have needed my AC. My only recourse is to write this review? If I need to wait beyond three more days I will call television stations. As I sit waiting I want everyone to know not to buy a Frigidaire product and definitely not to buy an extended warranty.

Original review: July 16, 2015

Freezer door leaks. I have no idea what to do with it. It started leaking about 6 months after I bought it. The temperature is also difficult to regulate. I also bought an air conditioner from them a few years back which grew mold about 2 years after I bought that. I called Frigidaire and was told to spray Clorox through the louvers as there was no way to open it. I threw it out. I hope I don't have to throw out the fridge too. No more Frigidaire products for me.

Original review: June 25, 2015

This is my third unit to go out in as many years. The latest one was bad out of the box. The men and woman who design these units should be ashamed of themselves. Their electronic control module is abysmal. Set the unit on Econ Mode to 68 degrees and the unit will just turn off while the room is 70 plus degrees. The Cool mode is no better. The compressor cycles on and off before the room ever reaches the desired setting. This last unit turns the compressor on for 5 minutes and shuts it off for 3 minutes. The unit is running at 60%??? It maybe 25000 BTU but you can't get the compressor to stay running long enough to cool 700 sq ft let alone 1600 sq ft.. Take if from me, I have owned 4 of these units now. Never again! Do yourself a favor and stay away from these poorly designed units. Shame on you Frigidaire!

Original review: June 22, 2015

FOR one the money I spent is sad. My air conditioner sucks it won't stay cool long enough especially during the days. It 90 out and muggy and it won't stay cool in a TWO bedroom Apt. BUT it is a FRIGIDAIRE 8,000 BTU, and I have it running all day. This is so, so, so messed up. I don't have ALL the money in the world. I’m NOT RICH. I had to do what I had to do. I have a child that can't be in the heat and muggy weather we have here. He won't be able to breathe. Thanks to my AMAZING Grandmother today I purchased a Norpole 12,000 BTU and the reviews I see are amazing. Someone had one last them 12 years. That is what I’m talking about.

I have a child to take care of. That would have went toward MORE clothes, MORE EVERYTHING. I hate you FRIGIDAIRE. Thank you for making me waste my money and not be cooled off. It is a bunch of BS and I’m UPSET!!! ALSO people who think about buying from FRIGIDAIRE, the compressor KEEP going on and off it won't let it cool down in here to save my life especially when I’M cooking. HELLO I NEED to do that. NEVER will I buy another FRIGIDAIRE again and if you are a Mom or dad trying to make it in life and do stuff for your child and save money DON’T Buy FRIGIDAIRE window air conditioner.

Original review: June 18, 2015

We built a new home in September 2007. A 5 ton Frigidaire was installed for downstairs, a 2.5 ton Frigidaire for the room upstairs. Lousy products. The 5 ton was replaced in 2014, the 2.5 ton will be replaced next week. Both units completely failing in less than 8 years. Anyone would be out of their minds to purchase products under this nameplate.

Original review: June 9, 2015

Purchased a 25,000 btu Frigidaire window air conditioning unit model number LA 257 ST 2 serial number K 049 187 67. Purchased in 2012 or 2013. Stopped cooling 3 weeks ago. Call customer service - they sent a technician from Blue Ridge Heating and Hearth, he diagnosed the problem but didn't fix. Scheduled 2 guys to come fix the leak - office staff at Blue Ridge were not friendly and seemed unconcerned just doing a job.

Today 2 technicians came out to weld leak. After 30 minutes call me and say they cannot fix air conditioner because not sure problem is covered under warranty. I call Frigidaire - the girls there were very nice but informed me that because this unit is being used in a commercial setting and not a home setting it voids the warranty. So I'm stuck with a $600 fan!!! Now if I had read the owners manual prior to purchasing I would have seen that on page 6 number 6. BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE. I will NEVER purchase anything made by this POS company again.

Original review: May 26, 2015

I bought a 15,000 BTU digital Frigidaire AC unit about 3 or 4 years ago and worked for about 3 or 4 summers till one day I noticed once I went to turn it off that the compressor was still running after I had already turned it off. The only way I could get it to stop was to unplug it from the wall. It also has mold on the inside. Now, it is barely blowing air even though the air is still cool. I spent close to 500 bucks on this AC and I'm pretty sure my warranty has expired (of course). This AC should not have broke this quick for all the money I spent, and I refuse to spend any more money on it to repair it. I will never buy another Frigidaire AC unit and will never recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 19, 2015

Bought four for four windows in a house. One broke after 1 year and another 1 broke this year. They are now down to 50% operating capability after 2 years of ownership and hundreds of dollars spent. Frigidaire offers no in home repair service. You can take them OUT OF THE WINDOWS and drive them to BEST BUY and perhaps they can send them out to be fixed, but maybe not. Won't make that mistake again.

Original review: April 19, 2015

LRA187MT2 - The long and short of it is that the so-called ECON mode doesn't work. In regular mode it does fine...plenty cold and not too noisy. But try to put the AC in economy mode and all bets are off. The room temperature goes up 6-10 degrees depending on outside temp. The AC will cut on then run for about 10-15 seconds before cutting off for about 20 minutes then repeat. I use in only in regular mode because that is the only way it actually works. I don't anticipate buying another AC unit from them.

Original review: April 18, 2015

I called Lowe's the store which the units was purchased from, and they pretended that they have never heard of such an advise that I should call the manufacturing company. I spoke with customer service rep of Frigidaire, after providing her with my personal information, model and serial number she mention that they have received calls regarding mold. After being placed on a brief hold, she stated that the black mold is part of the maintenance of the AC unit and the handbook states it. She suggested I use bleach and soapy water to clean. This company is ripping off its consumers as they are aware of the problem and doing nothing to protect consumers!!! This should be against the LAW, BLACK MOLD KILLS AND SO DOES BLEACH IF INHALED.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2014

I was delighted to see the 9000cpu air condition unit MADE IN USA my beloved home country...made by FRIGIDAIRE, the brand my grandpa and grandma used to swear by and the name on the first fridge I have ever opened eyes to and scraped ice from (before the no frost technology). My pride and patriotism were up to the roof when I brought it home...to find out right away that it was a total and absolute joke...had to stay on cranked to the max (62) for 6 hours in a very small room to bring the temperature from 78 outside to 72 inside...and that's it .. doesn't get any better overnight and I wake up sweating:-( I am waaay beyond disappointed ... shocked ... sad ... depressed...not over the $400 that went down the drain but because of the lost concept of precision and quality assurance in products made in USA?! I can't believe a fellow American put his signature (his honor) or became part of such poor quality production?!?! Lost the receipt and best buy wouldn't return it.... Although they gave returned products before with no receipt. I bet they're very happy to get rid of such a piece of junk:-(

Original review: July 4, 2014

My air conditioner is now about 4 years old; however the mold problem started 3 and a half years ago, when I first called Fridgidaire. I asked if there was anything that could be done to fix the problem. They had no answers. At the time I could not afford another air conditioner. I am now looking for another make. I wrote to Frigidaire and never got an answer. I tried spraying Clorox through the vents which was hopeless. This air conditioner is not made to be opened. Now the mold covers about a third of the styrofoam. My eyes burn and I have been coughing so I don't turn it on. There are some good points though. It cools well and has a good remote.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Frigidaire 25,000 btu air conditioner - My husband and I purchased a Frigidaire window air conditioner around 3 years ago. It did not run all the time and seem to be working fine, until yesterday morning around 5; our dog started barking like crazy. My husband opened his bedroom door and seen our air conditioner was blazing! We both were frantically trying to put out the fire and call fire department. The house was full of black smoke and Smallwood burnt plastic. We, by the grace of God were able to get it out. The fire department looked at the air conditioner and said it started with the metal wire box inside of it. The air conditioner wasn't even on. My husband had turned it off as always before going to bed. Frigidaire said they would send out someone to look at it and they may give us a replacement. NO THANKS. TAKE THAT CRAP BACK TO CHINA WHERE IT CAME FROM. No more Frigidaire for us!

Original review: June 5, 2014

I purchased a 9000 BTU AC WINDOW UNIT at Lowes. It worked for 1 season. I put it in the window this season it turns on but blows nothing, it sounds frozen to me. So disappointed. I'm out of work for a spine injury and have no air.

Original review: May 30, 2014

I bought a small $120 Frigidaire window air conditioner last year (2013). It is the Frigidaire AC 5000 BTU FRA052XT7. It worked fine for about a month then stopped getting cold... The room it is installed in is no more than 12 ft x 12 ft, way below the instructions max room size. This was last year. I am a struggling college student that is also disabled so removing it and taking it back myself is out of the question (I don't even own a car). I left it until about 2 weeks ago when it started to get really hot where I live. I turned it on and it worked great for a while ...

Today I come home from work and it's blowing air but it's not cold even though it's set as high as it can go... Going against my better instincts, I took it out of the window. It slipped in my hands a bit and now I have a huge gash across my wrist that looks like I tried to kill myself (can't wait to explain this at work and college). I also hurt my back during this (I have severe spinal cord injuries from an auto accident). After I got it out, I took off the face plate and gave it a good vacuuming and air cleaning. I replaced the unit in the window and turned it on... It blew cold for about 2 minutes then quit ...

This really sucks because as I said above I am disabled. I also live on the third floor of my building and it gets really hot up here. On top of all that, I take care of a couple rescue cats one of which has a heart defect and the temperature can affect his condition and cause him to die... I am very disappointed in Frigidaire's product... I selected their brand because I was under the impression that they were a good company with good products... How wrong I was... Thanks for using the unethical practice of planned obsolescence, Frigidaire... I will never purchase another one of your products again...

Original review: April 27, 2014

I bought my home in February of 1999 and within a month the air conditioner stopped cooling. Problem 2 came about 2 years later when the coil began to leak (changed 4 times). About my fourth year, the compressor went out (changed 2 times). Now it's 2014 - coil leaking & compressor is out. This problem also among 3 other homes that was built the same time as mine. If someone was to try and give me a Frigidaire, I throw it back at them. I'm tired of this foolishness and it's time to pull this unit out of my home. This should not occur with any product. Bad thing about all this, the repair man just charged the air conditioner on yesterday for a little over $250.00.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2013

I purchased a 25,000 btu window unit in August of 2010. On the packaging, it stated 5-year in home service. So now I have a problem and called for repair and I am told to call 2 service providers for my area but they don't provide in home repair service for AC units. In home repair was the selling point I liked when I purchased the unit. So I call Frigidaire back and told them that the providers would not repair in home. Was told they would find a repair service for me and I would be contacted in 3 to 4 days. So after 4 days and no call, I called back to their "no customer service" which is not a 1-800 number but long distance call. They tell me it could take anywhere from 48 to 72 business hours to hear back from them, 6 to 10 business days. Meanwhile I'm at home with 90+ degree temperatures and "no working AC". This is very poor customer service. I will follow-up later on in the process

Original review: Aug. 30, 2013

I bought an air unit at Lowe's in Atlanta, GA, 5000 BTU. Worked good for 8 days and quit cooling like it had no cooling agent in it. We took it back. Lowe's gladly gave us our money back immediately. Unfortunately, my husband against my strong advice decided to upgrade to a 6000 BTU. I did not want to purchase another Frigidaire period... Well, it's a month later and my new unit which just turned a month old just decided for no reason to die. No on or off. Tried all troubleshooting, i.e. reset, nothing... Got to take it out again, drive another 50 miles to return. Bet I won't purchase another one... I'll take my money and cut my losses.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2012

In 2008, we had two Frigidaire air conditioner units installed in our house; problems began in 2009 and continue. Recently one of our coils had a leak and required replacement. The contractor has informed us there is a slight leak on the second unit at this time they cannot detect the exact location of leak. I contacted Nordyne Inc. and received lack of response, no concern and blame game. Nordyne Inc. states they are warranting the part replacement. However, labor costs are the consumer’s responsibility which is very costly. Part of the warranty states "Delivering peace of mind unit after unit", "Extending the life of your unit", "Built to last".

I have emailed the CEO, Mr. Dave LaGrand, stating there is something wrong, and new products should not require replacement. I also indicated to the CEO that the internet has numerous complaints from BBB, consumers and contractors on the same issues I am having. Additionally, a lawyer documented an article in a local paper regarding a consumer complaint. Consumers are financially burdened and contractors are losing business and/or their companies due to these issues.

Original review: July 24, 2012

I bought a Frigidaire ac from Lowe's for $475.94. The ac worked fine for 1 year. I live in Des Moines, Iowa and so have it soar past the 100 degree mark. The compressor will run perfectly when it is 85 degrees but when it is over 90, the ac compressor will not run. The temp hit 105 degrees in Des Moines yesterday and the temp climbed to 91 degrees in my apartment. It will not run. It has been over 100 eight times this summer. I have a stomach ache as well as a headache.

Original review: May 28, 2012

Frigidaire AC FRA106CT1 - It worked fine for the first year, then the second year, it was extremely loud. You have to yell to hear each other in the room it occupied. Never will we buy another. It is a 10,000 BTU unit.

Frigidaire Air Conditioner Company Information