Compass Real Estate

Compass Real Estate Reviews

About Compass Real Estate

Compass is a real estate company with a network of offices across the United States. It launched in 2012 and operates in 67 different markets. Compass has more than 300 offices and 25,000 agents nationwide. In its efforts to help customers buy and sell homes, the company is developing a real estate platform to bring the industry up to speed in this advanced digital era.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Office locations in many states
  • Concierge program
  • Digital platform
Cons
  • Not available in all states

What is Compass?

Compass is a real estate company that also considers itself a tech innovator. The company is building a modern platform for real estate professionals and their customers to simplify the homebuying and selling process. With offices in 67 key markets across the United States, Compass works with both buyers and sellers. It is a full-service company headquartered in New York City and founded in 2012.

How does Compass work?

Compass works with both buyers and sellers in the real estate space. The company’s buyer’s agents assist customers looking to purchase a property. In this capacity agents do everything from sharing relevant listings to guiding customers through the buying process from start to finish.

Its listing agents represent customers who are the sellers in a real estate transaction. One notable feature of Compass is its Concierge program, which provides interest-free money upfront for services that can improve the value of your home. These may include the following:

• Staging
  • Deep cleaning
  • Landscaping
  • Interior and exterior painting
  • Roof repair
  • Pest control
  • Interior improvements

You can work with your Compass agent to figure out which services would increase your home value most and budget for the work. You then pay Compass back once your home sells, your end your listing agreement or 12 months pass.

Compass pricing

Compass agents’ commissions vary depending on the region in which they work. The company doesn’t display commission rates on its website. If you are interested in working with a Compass agent, contact an office to learn about the rates. It’s also helpful to keep in mind commission is negotiable. This is because there aren’t federal or state laws in place surrounding these rates.

Compass FAQ

Who owns Compass?

Compass is a publicly traded company with shares traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Robert Reffkin is the founder, chairman and CEO.

Why do agents go to Compass?

Agents like Compass because of the company’s interest in advancing technological tools for the real estate industry. The goal is to simplify the transaction process for both professionals and their customers.

Is Compass Realty in trouble?

In June 2022, Compass announced it would be reducing its workforce by 10%, attributing the cut to slowing economic growth, according to CNBC.

Is Compass a good company?

Compass has a large network of agents across the U.S., along with a leading-edge technology platform, and its Concierge service, which aids sellers in making home improvements, can be very appealing to customers. If you live in one of the states where Compass operates, it’s a good idea to reach out and learn more information about how it can help you purchase or sell a home.

Compass Real Estate Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass?
    Staff

Reviewed July 2, 2024

MS. Kimberlee ** was our agent: she was sketchy and evasive about providing paperwork that showed that renters should have 40x the monthly rent as annual salary. What's more, that the guarantor should have an annual salary of 80x the rent!

Staff

Reviewed April 17, 2024

In June 2022, when our family trust trustee engaged Mr. ** and Compass Real Estate to handle the listing and eventual rental of our $5M+ property in the Kalorama neighborhood of NW Washington DC, the outcome was disappointing. Mr. ** assured us that the individual presented as a tenant had undergone thorough vetting, including verification of financial and non-financial references suitable for such a high-value rental. However, the tenant failed to pay rent for 15 months, accumulating over $300,000 in arrears, and has resisted eviction efforts by exploiting court delays. Despite our inquiries, Mr. ** and Compass Real Estate could not provide any records related to the tenant, claiming all information had been purged from their system. Subsequent investigations revealed the tenant’s extensive legal history, including over 100 court appearances, multiple evictions, judgments, and delinquencies.

Get buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Contract & TermsStaff

Reviewed March 28, 2024

Fraud Lawsuit against Compass Real Estate company and agent in Washington DC superior court in 10/5/2023. Additional counts are Breach of Contract, Malpractice, failure to disclose and other counts.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 5, 2023

Worst agent that I had to have a business with is Steven **. Pure nonprofessional, rude person. Do not recommend him at all. Poor quality, nonrelevant information about the houses. But the most important thing for me is personality. His personality is just terrible! Be aware.

Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceContract & TermsCoverageStaff

Reviewed April 3, 2023

I signed with Compass Real Estate on 09/10/2021 to sell my property. They told me they had an excellent painter. The contract they send me after I left on a trip was not accurate: I did not sign it. While I was away they proceeded to have painting started without proper authorization. When I came back the home was dirty and they had cover the paint on the wooden floor with cardboard. I asked them to leave and the real estate agent Carol ** threatened me verbally inside my home: I left and called the police. The estimate on the painting that was not done is $26,500. I had a company doing the work for $2600.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed March 26, 2023

I've been buying and selling houses for more than 50 years, and I thought I'd seen every unprofessional, unethical scam that had ever been dreamed up, but there's always a new wrinkle, isn't there? These guys troll MLS for listings in senior communities, then send emails to the seller claiming that they have a buyer who wants to buy their property for cash. The "offer" is not really an offer -- just an email with "terms" -- and the purchase price is $100,000 or more less than the appraised value of the property. They hope to fool a senior who has dementia into selling, then they can flip the house for a quick profit. Calling this behavior despicable and sleazy is giving them way too much credit.

Compass Real Estate Company Information