American Home Shield vs. Select Home Warranty
Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you
What is the difference between American Home Shield and Select Home Warranty?
Home system and appliance breakdowns are typically unexpected and can be expensive to repair. Home warranties pay for the cost of repairs. It’s important to know that home warranties are different from home insurance, and there are several things to consider when choosing a warranty company. These include premiums, service call fees and what's covered. We’re breaking down two home warranty companies to make your choice easier.
|Monthly premium cost||$29.99 to $69.99||$57 to $63|
|Average cost for combo plan||$60||$63|
|Annual premium cost||$359.88 to $839.88||$588 to $660|
|Service call fee||$75, $100 or $125||$60 to $75|
|Discounts available||Not specified||Two months free if paid annually|
|$29.99 to $69.99||$60||$359.88 to $839.88||$75, $100 or $125||Not specified|
|$57 to $63||$63||$588 to $660||$60 to $75||Two months free if paid annually|
|Plans available||ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||Bronze Care, Gold Care, Platinum Care|
|Combo plan covered items||18||15|
|Service recall period||30 days||Not specified|
|Availability||47 states||44 states|
|ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||9||9||18||30 days||47 states|
|Bronze Care, Gold Care, Platinum Care||8||7||15||Not specified||44 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||—||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||4.4|
|Verified customer reviews||American Home Shield reviews||Select Home Warranty reviews|
|4.4||American Home Shield reviews|
|4.4||Select Home Warranty reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield offers three levels of home warranties. Additionally, there are add-on packages available for guest unit protection, electronics (not available in California), septic pumps, wells and spas.
- ShieldPlatinum: ShieldPlatinum is American Home Shield’s most comprehensive plan. It averages around $64.99 per month. Coverage includes heating and cooling systems, electrical systems, plumbing systems, kitchen appliances, laundry appliances, roof leak repairs, a free HVAC tuneup, unlimited air conditioning refrigerant and coverage for code violations and permits.
- ShieldGold: ShieldGold is $49.99 per month. It is the midlevel plan, with coverage for heating and cooling systems, electrical systems, plumbing systems, kitchen appliances and laundry appliances.
- ShieldSilver: ShieldSilver is the cheapest plan. It costs $29.99 per month, and it covers heating, cooling, electrical and plumbing systems.
What American Home Shield customers say
Reviewers on ConsumerAffairs leave mostly positive feedback on their experience with American Home Shield, though there are exceptions. Happy customers comment on contractors, saying the technicians they work with explain things well and the claims process is quick and easy. Customers say that American Home Shield does what it says it will and that their issues are fixed. Some customers appear to have issues with the claim timeline and call center.
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty also offers three home warranty plans: Gold Care, Platinum Care and Bronze Care. It's available in most states and works with local, trusted contractors in the event of a claim. It also offers several add-on coverage plans for things like pools, spas, roof leaks, second refrigerators and well pumps.
- Gold Care: Gold Care is Select Home Warranty’s basic package that covers systems. These include air conditioning, heating, plumbing, electrical, water heater and ductwork. It averages about $57 per month.
- Bronze Care: Bronze Care is an appliance package. It costs $57 per month and covers washers and dryers, dishwasher, built-in microwaves, stove/oven, refrigerator and garbage disposals.
- Platinum Care: Platinum Care is Select Home Warranty’s most comprehensive package. It costs around $63 per month. Coverage includes everything in Gold and Bronze Care, plus plumbing stoppage, garage door openers and ceiling fans.
What Select Home Warranty customers say
Select Home Warranty receives mainly positive reviews on ConsumerAffairs. Themes found in positive reviews include satisfaction with both the price and customer service. Customers say Select Home Warranty is efficient and gets the job done, with multiple reviewers saying they’d used other warranties in the past but weren’t satisfied until they switched to Select Home Warranty. However, some unhappy customers outline issues with specific coverage and contractors not being provided in a timely manner.
Bottom line: American Home Shield or Select Home Warranty?
American Home Shield and Select Home Warranty are pretty close in pricing and offer similar coverage options. There are a couple of differences. Select Home Warranty offers an appliances-only plan, which may be appealing to those who only want coverage on their appliances. On the other hand, American Home Shield has more add-on coverage options available, like guest unit coverage and electronics coverage (not available in California).
- American Home Shield is best for those who are more budget-conscious and want more add-on coverage options.
- Select Home Warranty is best for those who are interested in an appliance-only plan or a systems-only plan.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.