ADT Home Automation

Compare Home Automation Systems

Research top Home Automation Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

ADT had serviced the suite before we moved in our office in here. We got a very quick response once we contacted them. They came right away, looked at what we already had and got someone here to hook the system up. The salesman was very knowledgeable. We had most of the basic wiring and things. The installers set everything up very quickly and efficiently. It was painless. We haven't had any problems with the service so far. Billing is easy. Customer service always answered any questions that we had.

ADT's service has been great. Their sales rep was very nice. I've called him several times with different questions and he's always been there to help us. Their installation team was also very good and very quick.

I have a very successful experience with ADT in my home in Fayetteville Georgia. I would definitely recommend this security system to friends and family. I have been a customer since June 0f 2015.

From the time I received the mailer with the ADT Pulse offer for new homeowners to the installation technician showing up on time, courteous and professional in both installing the equipment and taking the time to explain all functionality to me and the family the experience was exactly as promised and expected of a name brand company. Post sale service has been great and the service delivery as expected. Bravo!

My husband and I moved. ADT decided to automatically take out $1,014.01, without billing us or letting us know. I called ADT and spoke to billing department and was told as soon as we got it installed again, they would refund our money. So we installed and still paid $286.00. Well it's been 1 month and still no refund so I called again and they tried to say our card would not accept. So now we are waiting another month in hope of getting our refund as a check, while they are still automatically withdrawing for new alarm!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Security Services?

I paid my bill through the automatic pay option. Unfortunately when it was installed I used a debit card instead of linking payments to my checking account, which I thought I had done. When my card expired, of course I had forgotten that ADT was linked to the card and not my account so I started accruing late fees and penalties. I finally found out about this mishap when I was sent a letter in the mail from a collections agency for non-payment. I called ADT to settle everything and asked why I hadn't received any phone calls in regard to the missed payments. They claimed they had called multiple times, but the number they were dialing hadn't been in service for at least three years.

It was hard for me to believe that I had given them that number as the primary number when they have reached both my sister and I (we're both under this one account) on our cell phone numbers which I always list as the primary number. However, I took this mishap as a fault on my end. I resolved the payment issue and asked for the service to be reinstated. This was the point at which the customer service took a turn for the worse. The operator transferred me to the re-installation department. The man I spoke with had a very rude demeanor and seemed to be in a hurry. When I wasn't entering the code into my home system fast enough, I heard a lot of sighs and groans. This process ended up not working so he scheduled an at home appointment. On the day of the in home installation, I did not receive a call stating they were on their way; nor did we get a ring at the door. I also looked out the window periodically and saw no one!

I called ADT 30 minutes after the time frame at which they were to show up. They claimed I was not home and that they had called multiple times. I confirmed the phone number with them and this time they had the right phone number, yet I hadn't received any calls! The customer service employee stated over and over "well it says here that we tried to contact you." This, I will remind you, was the second instance where they conveniently couldn't reach me. I will no longer use ADT.

I spoke a couple of times with the ADT sales guy on the phone. We went over the design and hardware requirements for my house. Once we finished this I asked for an email that listed the design and costs we spoke about. He stated that since they deal with such confidential data he did not have this ability. An answer for every question. While this concerned me I agreed to have the installer come out the next day. I did tell him that if there was any change to the cost I would stop the purchase. Well as concerned the installer should up with a much smaller configuration, one that would not come close to securing the house. The required hardware to secure the house was substantially more money. As I thought the sales guy's main job was to get the installer out. I should have gone with my gut and not wasted my time. Needless to say I did not make the purchase. What a waste of time.

Expert Review

Lisa MontgomeryHome Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.    More about Lisa→

ADT has been in business for over 140 years. The corporate headquarters of ADT is located in Boca Raton, FL.

• Free installation and activation: ADT offers free installation and activation for their security systems. This leaves customers with $0 in upfront costs.
  • Voice control: ADT offers customers the ability to arm and disarm their home, control the lighting, thermostat and locks (and more) with voice commands via the ADT Pulse smart device app.
  • The largest in the U.S.: ADT is the largest automated security provider in the U.S. with the most geographic locations of monitoring centers, offering convenient access no matter where customers live.
  • Mobile alerts: ADT offers homeowners the option to have mobile alerts go to their smartphone so they are notified anytime somebody opens the door to their home, even when they're on the go.
  • Many customer service options: ADT offers customers a wide range of customer service options, including chat and telephone, which makes it convenient and simple for customers to contact the company whether they're at the office, in a meeting or at home.
  • Best for Owners of both luxury and mid-scale residences, elderly homeowners and homeowners with young children.

Compare Home Automation Systems