ADT Home Automation

ADT Home Automation
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

ADT Home Automation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Home Automation?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Security Services?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Several attempts to cancel the service which I didn't contract in the first instance and then I gave up. I disputed the bill for $124 and they said they would get back to me but never did. In the end I paid it on 6/10/20. Today I get a letter from a debt recovery agency and I call - despite quoting the receipt number the extremely rude person in the billing department refused to sort the problem and said they will get back to me. Right. Stay away from this poor service. Dishonest mob.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I've had ADT for several miserable years. Customer service is very unprofessional, they over talked me during the entire conversation. When I became totally frustrated with them, I decided to go with another security company on 6/26/2020. I called them on that day to request my service be disconnected so my new provider could take over my prewired access. The service was discounted and my new company was able to take over the prewired connection. I was billed for 3 months after the service was disconnected. I called customer service and billing, I spoke to LeAnn and a supervisor named Delvin, neither with a employee id. I requested a refund for the months billed that they were not providing service. Both confirmed there is no live signal at my home and the last known signal was 06/25/2020, 1 day before I requested disconnect.

Delvin, verified they attempted to test the signal on 07/25 and 08/25 both times the got a failed signal. He said they called my listed phone to request I call them to see what was wrong. Both acknowledge the service was off since June but refused to refund back to the initial cutoff date. To derail the conversation, Delvin claim to have found a contract I signed in 2018, on a 3 year contract. I never signed a renewal contract. I first got service 2014. At that time I signed a 24 month NON-RENEWAL contract which ended 2016. Their service was horrible, is the reason I left. I will continue until I get a full refund as rightfully due. They cannot charge me for service that they admit they weren't providing. PLEASE do not use ADT, service is horrible and customer service is very rude, they talk over you, they will not let you speak and very unprofessional. My next complaint will be to BBB, their corporate, FTC, FCC etc....

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I have only had the system for 3 months so I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the system. The problem is the installation. On installation the installer did not have one of the sensor's they should have put in. I had to call and they said they would order it and make another appointment. No call from ADT, so I called them. They made the second appointment and the man again came without the sensor. Had to call again, they promised this time they would order the sensor and call me to make an appointment.

Again, no call so I had to call them (each time on the phone for over 30 minutes going over the history). Again made an appointment (each time an appointment is made we need to be sure someone is home to meet the installer). This last time in September, an installer did not come but we got a call in the middle of the day to tell us they did not have the sensor again. So far we have been kept home 3 times and have never received a call back as promised but had to chase ADT each time on the phone for more than 30 minutes. The system was installed in June and now we are in the middle of September and they still do not have the system I paid for completed.

Now we will most likely have to chase ADT again and stay home once again to meet the installer if he even has the sensor. I am in the mood to rip the system out and let them chase me for payment. To put icing on the cake the $100 visa reward card has a number of steps to receive that too. Horrible customer service and can only hope the system is better than their service.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Initial customer service was rude and interrupted me multiple times, we eventually ended up having an argument over how I could obtain my lost password. When she granted me a moment to make a point, she didn't rebut me she said "Fine, have a nice day" and hung up on me. I called back and her superior was almost equally as unhelpful and eventually transferred me back into a queue without warning. Coming from a customer service background this is not how you treat people. They not only lost my business but anyone I can convince as well.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I have two ADT "Smart" Thermostat installed on my residence, since yesterday both of my thermostats are not connecting to the central AC. Called ADT three times today, only in the third time I received an answer. The remote service took 2 1/2 hours with no solution, they confirmed there is an issue with the Thermostat no connecting with the AC system, but simply said there is no other alternative other than send a technician in 2-3 days or send an emergency technician, which I would have to be responsible to pay $100-$300 per hour. This is the most unfair company I've ever dealt with. I'm in Texas and the house is 95 degrees, have a 1 year old child and the only thing I heard was "sorry, there is nothing we can do now". That's bad!!!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

After having a tech argue with us about which camera we should have, he finally installed the one we asked for. Then, we learn from their office it wasn't installed correctly. The soonest they can get someone was 5 days later. No pro rate, can't get a different tech, just "that's the best we can do". ADT is a marketing company that happens to be in the security business. I can't wait to pull these cameras and have another company in here. Won't happen fast enough.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I've been an ADT customer for over 20 years. For most of those years, I had the basic system using wired sensors, but eventually I upgraded to ADT Pulse and along with it, I added a number of cameras and many Z-Wave home automation devices. I've now upgraded again to the ADT Command and Control system, which is what I'm reviewing here.

First, I should state that unlike some of the other reviewers here, I've never once in 20+ years of doing business with ADT, experienced anything other than five-star customer service. I've rarely had to wait more than a minute or two to speak to a support tech, and on the few occasions I've had system issues, those issues have either been fixed it immediately by remote, or ADT has quickly sent a technician out to my house, often by the very next day. Yes, I'm aware that the ADT prices are a bit higher than some others, but I believe I'm getting what I pay for. I was also made very aware of the terms of the contract before signing, I knew exactly what I was agreeing to, and I new exactly how much it cost, both for installation and for the ongoing service. There were no surprises. So from a customer service point of view, I give them five stars.

Now, as for the Command system, for the most part, the capabilities (in my opinion) well exceed those of Pulse. From its security capabilities, to the new home automation features, it offers a much better experience. As of this writing, it's been about a year since Command was introduced, but I've had it for only a few weeks. It's genuinely a good system, but it seems that it's still experiencing some growing pains.

As far as upgrading goes, ADT was able to leverage all of my existing wired sensors, as well as the home automation devices that I had installed to work with my previous Pulse system. That alone saved me a lot of money. Unfortunately, Command uses a different technology for its wireless devices, so my cameras, wireless sensors, and the wireless doorbell had to be replaced with command-compatible versions. (Once again though, I was made aware of this before upgrading, and ADT helped by discounting some of the upgrade costs.) For those just starting out with ADT, this wouldn't be an issue but for existing customers who want to upgrade to the latest technology, it something that must be considered.

From a security point of view, I believe that ADT's monitoring service is second-to-none. On a few occasions over the years, they've responded quickly to alarm events at my house, including one time when they automatically summoned the fire department for what was genuinely a (substantial) fire at my home. Simply, I feel very safe with ADT. So here again, I give them five stars for monitoring.

My biggest complaint is with a few of the automation features that Command and Control offers. In some cases, they seem to be incomplete or lacking in capability. Here are some of them (as of this writing).

* Command does not provide the means to trigger lights to come on when a particular camera detects motion. (I confirmed this with ADT Support.) Currently, the only actions that a camera motion event can trigger are taking video clips and sending notifications. Yes, the ADT cameras have night vision, but the night image is only so-so with these cameras. It would only seem to make sense that if a camera detects motion, you would probably want nearby lights to come on to better illuminate the scene instead having the camera rely upon night vision.

* The advertised "Alexa" integration with Command is not as complete as it is in Pulse. Currently, the ADT website claims that its Command panel integrates with Alexa. It even offers online help that shows you how to enable Alexa on the panel. After spending much time with ADT Support trying to find out how to enable Alexa, it was eventually realized that the Alexa capabilities have been removed from the latest version of their command panel... the option is no longer offered (commencing with build 3 of the panel ... which is what I have.) Instead, they recommend using the ADT Alexa skill. That would be fine, except for a few things.

First, it took another call to ADT support to learn that the "ADT" skill doesn't work with Command. Instead, you have to install the "Alarm.com Smart Home" skill. (I was unable to find that important fact anywhere in their online help.) That skill does provide most of the home automation control that the ADT skill did for Pulse, but to add system arming and disarming capabilities, you must also install the basic "Alarm.Com" skill. (The ADT skill is still available for Alexa, but it does not work with Command, only with Pulse.) Unfortunately, Alarm.com skill does not provide the same level of integration with Command as the ADT skill does for Pulse.

The biggest problem in my opinion is that Alexa Guard is not currently supported.... (another currently-advertised ADT Command feature). With Pulse, I could simply say "Alexa, I'm leaving", and she would arm my ADT Pulse system (allowing me time to leave). She would then continue to listen for certain sounds (such as glass breaking) and alert ADT if one of those sounds was detected. With the Alarm.com skill, you can still arm the system by saying, "Alexa, tell Alarm Dot Com to arm my alarm", but that is nowhere as convenient as "Alexa, I'm Leaving". Furthermore, that doesn't really address the lack of Alexa Guard support. ADT Support told me that Alexa Guard might come back to Command, but obviously no time frame was given.

* With Pulse, I could add/remove and manage my many Z-Wave devices. With command, adding a device (and/or performing a network rediscovery) involves a phone call to ADT Support, who must do that remotely. To be fair, ADT Support has been very helpful, and they've spent quite a bit of time with me in order to register all of those devices. Really though, that's something the customer should be able to do without having to call ADT.

* After a year of being on the market, there still seems to be a bit of confusion as to how certain aspects of the ADT Command system operate. As helpful as ADT Support is, there have been a couple of occasions on which the support tech was unsure of how to configure a particular function, ultimately leaving me to go find the answer elsewhere.

Furthemore, the online ADT help most often just links to Alarm.Com help. Although Alarm.Com is the technology provider, the ADT Command system doesn't necessarily support all of the features that Alarm.Com offers. The result is that the online help often instructs you to navigate to a particular screen, or perhaps press a specific button, that doesn't even exist in the ADT version. In other cases, it describes a capability that ADT doesn't (yet?) support. In all fairness though, I'm beginning to see that ADT Command is still a "work-in-progress" and that features and functionality are still being added (or changed). It would be nice though to have access to more up-to-date documentation, and or to have Support techs kept more up to date as to what changes have occurred.

Overall, I'm happy with ADT Command and Control, and given ADT's history of providing me with great service and support over the past 20+ years, I intend to stay with them. So while it's possible that some of the issues I mentioned above (and others I didn't mention) will be addressed (hopefully sooner rather than later), for now I'm giving ADT Command 4-stars.

Original review: May 1, 2020

Really poor and rude customer service. I was tried to close my account w/ ADT after finish my contract. They put me a lot obstacles 'cause I'm lost my password. Today 05/01/2020 I call them 4 times to get my password. They going to make me wait 7 to 10 business day to send my password by mail. They tried to retain or convince customers after contract is ended. Really bad experience to closed my service.

Original review: April 9, 2020

ADT security has horrible customer service. I have been with this company for 1 year this month. From first call this company about billing, payment due date, to trouble shooting something that is not working they always had smart comment or just dont care attitude. They never take the blame for anything or help u with any troubles you have. I would disconnect the service if it wouldnt go on my credit. It has been horrible since day 1.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Glad I decided to cancel. We have been with ADT for 15 years, but now they want us to pay a $270 termination fee because our system was upgraded a few years ago. This is after paying $52 a month. Profits over People!

ADT Security Services author review by Lisa Montgomery

ADT has been in business for over 140 years. The corporate headquarters of ADT is located in Boca Raton, FL.

• Free installation and activation: ADT offers free installation and activation for their security systems. This leaves customers with $0 in upfront costs.

• Voice control: ADT offers customers the ability to arm and disarm their home, control the lighting, thermostat and locks (and more) with voice commands via the ADT Pulse smart device app.

• The largest in the U.S.: ADT is the largest automated security provider in the U.S. with the most geographic locations of monitoring centers, offering convenient access no matter where customers live.

• Mobile alerts: ADT offers homeowners the option to have mobile alerts go to their smartphone so they are notified anytime somebody opens the door to their home, even when they're on the go.

• Many customer service options: ADT offers customers a wide range of customer service options, including chat and telephone, which makes it convenient and simple for customers to contact the company whether they're at the office, in a meeting or at home.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

ADT Home Automation Company Information