1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 13, 2018

1338 Xbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 13, 2018

Since 2003, I knew the Xbox brand would spell trouble for the game industry as a whole. After 10 years of supporting them and dealing with their ever-changing BS policies, I have decided to finally just GIVE UP on this brand. Not to mention that the Xbox brand makes and loses tens of millions of dollars on Xbox alone. This brand only succeed because of Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Sports and Online gaming. Now those franchises are down the toilet or milked to DEATH. *Except for Forza* The brand barely has any console only exclusives anymore. Their deals are a joke. Xbox games with Gold is a scam. Their refund policy sucks and there are tons of people who are just fed up with them. I may have my issues with Sony and Nintendo but Microsoft's Xbox brand just needs to go away! Not to mention that their customer service **! This rant is towards corporate only!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I was trying to let my son purchase an in game bundle. It took a bit to get money wired to his account, but it worked. He still got an error saying he needed to request permission to use the money. I called MS customer service and was on the phone for over an hour with someone who struggled just following the obvious script. I finally hung up and went through all of the options until I found one that lifted purchase restrictions. This can't be an uncommon issue. Unless parents are now giving their kids full access to their bank accounts.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 28, 2018

Xbox One has to be the worst gaming platform we've ever experienced. My son received a new one for Christmas and has been nothing but disappointed. Have to download every game to play even when you buy the disc. 5 or 6 games take up all the storage on a 500gb unit. System can't stay connected to Xbox live. They say it's our internet connection but the 360 has no issues. He doesn't even play it now. Plays the 360 instead with no issues. Waste of money. Gimmick system.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This Xbox has been used for a total of about 1 month... It is not even 2 yrs old and is already dead. The warranty is up so of course Microsoft says they will fix it for a fee... Right, that's like throwing money out the window. Moving on to Sony for my kids.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My son's $150 Elite Controller broke & still under warranty. He called on 2/21 and was told to ship it but sent an email with the wrong information to ship. We sent priority shipping. They got on 2/27. Claimed they never received. Blamed us because it didn't have the service # on it. After many phone calls and no calls back, I had to put in a complaint with the BBB & action was then taken by them but they would not send it Express Mail after having it a month nor give my son Xbox Live for the hassle, inconvenience and horrible customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: March 18, 2018

My son has an Xbox that is being hacked. I called and they told me not only can the hacker play on his Xbox for the next month, but to make sure that I call my bank and cancel my card. Here is the best part. If the hacker gets the email before we do, then he can kick my son out of his own Xbox! Really??? You spend all this money on the system and games. Money for the game and there is no security to protect the person who owns the Xbox! I do not recommend anybody waste their money! It is great when it works but when something happens you are on your own!

Original review: March 18, 2018

Xbox has now gone to complete crap. The people that want to answer calls can’t even help. I got hung up on like 3 times. And they are charging me for a subscription that I never purchased. Then they also have Put me on a one month banned for complaining about the fact that they are taking money from my pocket.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Xbox is super pathetic now, I called some a ** and someone reported me for it and they gave me a 2 week suspension. I informed them that I will not be renewing my Xbox live gold and I will be switching over to Playstation. Xbox is losing contracts and losing customers, they don't know why but it's because they are so pathetic now that they are just a joke, I hate them with a passion now. I used to recommend them but now I tell people to stay away from them. Microsoft is such a sad company. I wish they would drift off the planet and everyone would be better off.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Xbox one games take HOURS to download. My son got a game and started downloading at 17:30 and at 21:00 he has to go to bed without being able to play because it is still downloading (at top speed). It’s ridiculous to spend $50+ that can’t be played when you get home. My son is seriously bummed. Will not be buying an Xbox ever again.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was charged $59.99 for a 12 month membership to Xbox Live. It was listed on my online banking app as a "recurring charge". I called Microsoft, and after navigating multiple robot prompts, was on hold for almost 20 minutes before I got a real live person. They told me they can see that there is an account linked to my credit card, but couldn't tell me the name of the person that set it up, the phone number attached to it, or the email address attached to it. They said they sent a message to the email they have, for "verification of the account", so if they get a response from that email, they continue to charge the credit card. I wanted to report them to the Better Business Bureau, but couldn't even find the company on the BBB website so I could report them!

Original review: March 3, 2018

Xbox Live has great potential but, promised me my first free then didn't get it. I contacted consumer support and they said bad luck. Then I got a 12 month subscription with a bonus 1 month for auto renew and didn't get that either... Not to mention everything on the Windows store is a ripoff.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Worst customer service, expensive products that are so unreliable that I spend more time troubleshooting than actually using it, especially Xbox One and Xbox Live. Switching to Sony, Microsoft won't get another dime from me.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Attention Bill & Melinda Gates! Are you aware of the poor actions of Microsoft's incompetent customer service support for XBOX? Are you aware that XBOX support is requesting access to peoples personal bank accounts? When XBOX asks me to talk to my bank so they can use my debit card, I was astounded. WHY WOULD I ALLOW YOU TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT! You see, American Express had notified me about some questionable activity on my account (Fraudulent activity from another source). When I went to replace the credit card in my daughter's account, I was unable as SHE WAS WRONGFULLY SUSPENDED BY XBOX.

Like any parent, I have a choice of what payment I provide for my child's usage. We had 3 forms of payment already in her account; 1) American Express 2) Xbox gift cards in the amount of $200.00 3) Visa card. When AMEX canceled my card FOR MY SAFETY, there were no more than $75.00 from Xbox charges that may also have been canceled.

And although there were two other methods of payment in my 12 year old daughter's account, including a $200.00 Xbox gift card from Christmas, Microsoft/XBOX decided to become a BULLY and suspend her account, without her understanding & WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME, The cardholder. Now you want ME to TALK TO MY BANK about using my credit card! Yeah OK. Keep desensitizing our children with Grand Theft Auto, and making them killers and thieves. But then you want to go ahead and accuse a child & a parent of marketplace theft when in fact I am protecting my credit & identity. And apparently, once XBOX suspends you there is no discussion until the year 9999.

Bill, Melinda, I thought with all your philanthropy, you created something better than the customer appreciation & communication Xbox is putting out. So just keep making your customer support team self righteous & keep making little criminals out of America's children with these one way games & tactics that offer no parental guidance OR COMMUNICATION. It's just VERY WRONG. You might want to look into how you are being represented to these days.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

So I bought the Xbox one! Went home and started to download and update it! That took two days!!! Went to download the Blu-ray player that took another day! Bought two games For Honor and Tekken 7! Took another two days to download For Honor and kept stopping and going to an error screen. Finally got it loaded! Tekken didn't load at all. Brand new game out of the box! Took the game back. Exchanged for another brand new copy and again wouldn't download! Took whole system back and traded for a new one which was a hassle in itself from Walmart! Had it for about a week and they tried to tell me I had to send it to Xbox until I talked to a manager and he saw that I had purchased it a week ago and still hassled me on the fifteen day return policy!

Finally after I spelled it out to him he caved and traded for a new one! Took it home and same thing never downloaded Tekken. Bought Seven Days to Die and never downloaded! Bought Sunset Overdrive and tried to download extra content and it charged me for the content but didn't download! Blu-ray took another two and half days to download and after a couple of days it won't play Blu-ray anymore! Again took it back but went through the service plan because I would have punched the guy I talked to before and they took a few weeks to send it back and guess what. Lmfao. They sent me back a refurbished console that wasn't even swiped so it had like content from the previous owner and same old ** wouldn't download Seven Days to Die, Sunset Overdrive, Tekken Seven and wouldn't even download the Blu-ray saying that memory was full! They sent me back a paperweight!

Called Xbox and they said that my internet ports were not open so I have to call my internet provider to open them lol. Called and my internet provider didn't have a clue what I was talking about because it was **! Called again and finally the guy admits who works for Xbox says that a lot of the consoles are just junk! Right from the Xbox guy himself. Wow! Told me he was really tired of the same calls and having to basically lie to the customer! If he could work for PlayStation he would and he even admitted his own Xbox had problems and never got fixed lol and that he switched and is probably going to lose his job because of my call since it's recorded!

I've since switched to PlayStation and you know what's funny? It works like no problem at all! Blu-ray built in plays just fine. No problem! All games I've downloaded took about thirty minutes to two hours to download! ** Xbox right in their stupid faces! So the only thing my Xbox does is collect dust and whenever my kid brother comes by he plays Minecraft that was still the content that was left on the game along with a few games that were download to the hard drive and two of the four freeze lmao.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My minor son accidentally clicked purchase (an game) on Xbox. I called Microsoft immediately to request a refund. After 45 minutes of waiting, including one disconnected call by a representative who did not bother to call back, Microsoft refused to refund the purchase and the representative told me that I need to “monitor my kids”. A shameful response and a terrible company that should be legally investigated.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I was a Xbox Live Gold member for many years playing on both 360 and 360 slim models, and eventually getting a Xbox one. I have had numerous problems with both the systems and Xbox Live itself, whether it was not connecting properly losing connection or hiding and making games unplayable I had purchased. First off Microsoft/Xbox Live says if you purchase a game via download you did not purchase it, they consider it a loan of the game as long as you stay connected to your gold subscription.

I don't understand how they claim that since you will pay the same for a game through their services as you would in a store for a physical copy, this is a little game they play just to extort people. I called numerous times before I finally canceled my gold service to try and resolve the issue of connection issues, they couldn't or wouldn't help me after having a gold sub for 10 years. This is the kind of help I was expected to receive. I tried again after canceling my subscription to try and resolve this issue with their service and I received a comment of if you subscribe to gold service we can help you, really how would this be any different from before. Needless to say whether they care or not they have lost my business for good, I would not recommend Xbox products or their services to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My son had purchased a game on Xbox for 30.00$ and accidentally purchased the wrong one. He was devastated to say the least, and I wasn’t sure if there was anything that we could do. I was able to get on the Xbox support chat with Phillip **. and he was absolutely amazing! Not only did he look over our account and refund the mistake, he also went above and beyond by sending me links on how to set up a password key for purchase, and how to access my account from my mobile device. He was outstanding and I thank Xbox tremendously for hiring such amazing people!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I have all the consoles and by far the Xbox is the best. I started with a special edition launch day Xbox then upgraded to the slim model and finally the Xbox One X. Both older consoles saw incredibly heavy use as my daughter loves gaming as much as I do. We also use it as our entertainment device. We stream from every service and the newer models are capable of 4k HDR. The Xbox One X is the most powerful console which is nice although it's still not as good as my PC but it's better than the PS4 pro which is so loud... It's louder than my gaming PC that has 6 fans and a GTX 1080. There are a ton of games to play and the store is simple to use. There is also a movie/tv and music store that is great as well. The Xbox One is easily one of the most reliable consoles on the market. I've had 3 PS4s that died for no reason and they got minimal use but I've yet to have an Xbox let me down regardless of model.

Xbox Live is also fantastic. Download speeds are great, I usually get about 50MB/s on average compared to the 7MB/s I get on PlayStation and roughly 30MB/s from steam. They also have EA Access that lets you get 10% off any EA content as well as tons of free games in the vault, sometimes games as little as a few months old. There is also Game Pass. For $10 a month you get access to a huge library of full games to play. There is a mix of Xbox One and Xbox 360 games. Yes the Xbox One is backwards compatible with the 360 and even the original Xbox although not every title is supported. They add more all the time. If you are out to buy a console get the Xbox One X. It's a great primary console and it's also a great 2nd console if you own a PC or Switch... Or even the PS4.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have never been treated like I was when I called the help center! I was lied to by the "supervisor " who claimed that no one was in a higher position than him. He basically wouldn't let me speak with a manager and then hung up on me. After a long day at work I wanted to enjoy my very expensive Xbox system but instead spent about 3 or 4 hours on the phone. I have never had problems with Microsoft products until now. My family and I are very close to being done with Microsoft and will probably go with another company. I WILL NOT recommend any of your service or products to anyone. Would have given 0 stars but it won't let me.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I finally bought an Xbox One S for my kids for Christmas. The entire day was a disaster because I was frustrated, my 4 kids were frustrated, and the day we look forward to all year was ruined because we could not just play THE GAME!!! I wanted to just insert the disk and play with my kids but no, every game has to download, then update, then you are required to log in, so if you don’t have a Microsoft account or remember the password, etc. you have to set that up again. We are talking about 2 hrs for the game to download (even if you have a disk) then another hour to update. Then you have to figure out the password, login, email, just to play the game. Oh, and what if you want to add another controller??? Oh, you have to register it to a DIFFERENT Microsoft account!!

Literally I spent all day trying to get this dumb Xbox to play just a freaking game with my son. Seriously a wasted Christmas! Every game you have you will have to spend at least 2-3 hrs for nonsense. I just want to play it. Also, Microsoft is making it so kids don’t play with friends in the actual room together. They are not allowing 2 player on a single box but allowing multiple players online. Microsoft! You are making our kids social awkwardness worse!!! Allow them to put in a disk, give the controller to a friend, and actually play the game and not have to wait 3hrs or talk online. This is So ridiculous and I cannot believe I allowed you to ruin my Christmas. My kids were so excited only to see their dad getting frustrated and taking all day on what should be only minutes. I’m going to return this and get a PlayStation!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

On October 29th found out that my eight year old son had access to my credit card on his Xbox One Live account after I had requested it to be removed in August after being charged for several games that he purchased without my permission. Lo and behold $910.66 later I still do not have a refund. Was told by Xbox because I had asked for a refund back in August that I would need to contact my financial institution to dispute the charges due to the fact of a minor using my credit card without my permission. My bank filed a dispute. I got a provisional credit and December 21st watch $910.66 being taken out of my account for the fact that Xbox stated that I authorized the transactions because my eight year old actually attempted to play a couple of the games that he purchased.

You can never get an actual American on the phone that understands the English language. You always talk to somebody in a foreign country. Here I am 2 days before Christmas. No money. No Christmas presents and 4 weeks ago purchased $860 worth of Xbox Scorpio Edition waiting to come on a rain check from Best Buy because it being on backorder. Xbox a thieves thieves thieves. There is no recourse nor is there any assistance for parents who have children that use their products. That's how Xbox makes most of their money. Merry Christmas to my family who isn't going to have one.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Going to keep this short and sinister. Xbox needs to change their customer service process. If you ask for a supervisor (you know since I have been through three Xbox consoles in the last 6 months) you have to wait for a callback, which is just unacceptable in so many ways. You literally have to sit and stare at your phone waiting for them to call you. And if you miss the call, they email you wanting to know an exact time, day, and timezone, for a callback. Then you respond to the email, giving them a time window, and they still don't call you back. And it just becomes a cycle of stupidity. Have a real escalation process or suffer Comcast's fate of having your customer service rating tank so bad you end up in the news.

Also, you might want to have your service repair center actually tell you what "service" they performed on your system. I signed up for text updates to my service request and actually received no updates on the service request other than "we received your Xbox" and then "we shipped your Xbox." Then I received another refurb with a different serial number. The third one in 6 months since the first one when it arrived did not work. The gentleman at the Microsoft Store was very helpful in making sure the replacement actually worked before giving it to me. Might want to see if your technicians are bench testing these before shipping.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

On Xbox Live they will suspend you for giving trash talkers their own medicine and they get butthurt. Just got banned for 48 hours just for replying to the kid who messaged me. Lesson - don’t reply to idiots. Lesson 2 - Microsoft is only there to conform to crying people on Live.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The first customer service agent was rude, and was not listening. I then asked for a supervisor and again they were rude and even cussed at me and hung up on me. The supervisor I did get in touch with later is well aware of it and said they would take care of it. The issue I had in the first place was I canceled my subscription (Xbox Live Gold) 2 years ago because I was moving and was not sure how long it would be before I could hook my console up and play it again. It sat in my living room for 2 years collecting dust in its box. I got an email yesterday letting me know my subscription was up for renewal and would be renewed on January first. I called them to resolve this and was told I would be getting a refund for $63.95 from the previous year. The supervisor also gave me a 12 month Xbox live gold membership free of charge as a apology and I needed to contact PayPal to receive the refund.

I contacted Paypal the next day and gave them the reference number for the refund to happen, and was told I needed to contact Xbox again and get a transaction Number since the bank I had the PayPal through I had closed the account with. Upon contacting Xbox again after PayPal I dealt with 3 rude people before speaking to a supervisor. I was on hold with the supervisor who took my number down in case we were disconnected. I was on hold for a good 10-20 minutes when some lower level person answered the phone and I was talking to them about the issue to find they were not a supervisor and advised them it was higher level than them to pull up my account notes and get me back in touch with the supervisor who placed me on hold. They refused then hung up on me, the next two people also hung up on me...

Then finally got in touch with another person who said they would transfer me to a supervisor who again hung up on me. I had to contact live chat and still was not resolved... I was told pretty much that the subscription I was given was because they could not refund me beyond 90 days. Microsoft screwed up not me, I canceled the subscription before I moved. Now I will write their legal department because I was told I was getting a refund and also to get in touch with PayPal for it, also I was being given the subscription free of charge as an apology for being hung up on and being told to go ** myself by the customer service agent I originally dealt with before any supervisors the other day.

Personally if a supervisor tells a customer they are doing something then that company in this case Microsoft should honor that agreement. Also with the customer experience I have had I would rather turn in my games, Console, and Controllers and get a full refund for the equipment as if they were brand new and never touch them again. If my experience was this bad I am betting others have been as well and I am surprised they are still in business with customer service representatives who give customers a bad taste with them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Xbox One - Constant delays, getting kicked from WWII game, been searching for a game long enough to get frustrated and have the time to create a consumer review account and write this review and it’s STILL loading... HORRIBLE.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I recently signed my 8 yr old child up for an Xbox Live Gold subscription, not realizing that he would be able to also purchase games without permission. When he purchased Grand Theft Auto, I called and had my account refunded and spoke with the customer service rep about setting my account so that these purchases couldn't be made without specific permission. I was pleased with the outcome. Time came for a subscription renewal. I paid $.99 cents for a promotional Live membership, unaware that the account would again be connected to my bank account, where my 8 year old could easily make purchases again.

Last night, I received an email notification that another game had been purchased using my bank account by my 9 year old (who does not understand that these games are not free). I called Xbox live support immediately and requested the issue be resolved. I was informed that they only issue one refund per year, and they refused to allow me to return this game. This is theft. I don't know of any store I can walk into, make a purchase and then not have buyer's remorse and return the item within an hour of purchasing it. I am outraged at their unwillingness to resolve this issue in a respectful manner. $21 dollars isn't much to a mega corporation, but it can make or break a single mother. These policies are inhumane and dirty. Dirty business, Microsoft. Shame on you.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I'm absolutely hate Xbox support, their enforcement team ban me twice. One because I was abusing the agents because I did not got what I wanted as I got depression and obsessive disorder. Two because of marketplace place theft that I don't know what for, Also I gave them cases to unban me but twice they refuse it because it was they say serious and I like to make it like a 5 year ban or so not up to 9999. That absurd. What I don't get is that they only allow 1 case review and that it and they won't give you another chance and also I got proof that I'm taking meds and the enforcement have nothing but just write for what reason that they still refuse.

The Xbox support are no help at all. They just tell you to still go to them and hope for the best. YEAH RIGHT!!! Also I like that enforcement team don't have any contact details from Telephone No to email to take it further but I always say they must be cowards because they know that people will be complaining that they did not done anything wrong and I know some people I seen got ban or suspended by one person or 2 and that just ridiculous. I really like a organisation to form and deal with unfair ban from company's that you did not done nothing wrong and like them to cap it to the bare minimum then that hush 9999 years. If they ban my 3rd account and I be sticking with PlayStation.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I've been suspended for stupid things multiple times. Kids and wannabe thugs run their mouth so I return the favor and I get reported. So I learned after being suspended to just report people for crying on Xbox and don't talk back to trash talkers... very stupid. Now I got banned for posting a looking for group... My post was this. "money drop." If you don't know what a money drop is it's a mod that gamers used on GTA V and it drops money for free... Yes this is cheating and no my lobby was not really a money drop lobby. I was having fun luring cheaters in and making them play my created games making them think they will get free money... Pretty stupid to ban me for creating a post making others think this was something that it wasn't when all I was doing was messing with cheaters.

Here's the code of conduct they sent me. Looking for Group. 10/13/2017, 7:40:33 AM. Enforcement Detail: - This accounts Looking for Group post contained inappropriate content. This content may include profanity, sexual topics, hate speech, controversial religious topics, references to notorious people or organizations, sensitive current or historical events, or any content designed to sound like, look like, reference, or allude to these topics. If this enforcement did not include a suspension: The post was removed. If this enforcement included a suspension: The post was removed and for the duration of the suspension this account cannot use Xbox Live communication features or create new Looking for Group posts. This enforcement affects the account's Xbox Live privileges. Microsoft enforcement morons and you do ban people because of crybabies complaining cause they don't get their way...

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

For all Xbox One users: beware of any and all updates that come from Xbox. I have had my Xbox for a few years now so of course the warranty has expired as have most. I have never had any issues with my Xbox up until the 15th of September. I received an update notification from Xbox as per usual. After the update finished my system reset as it usual does. However upon restarting the system error screen came up stating that there was a startup error. After trying every possible way to fix the issues with the help of Xbox, nothing worked. Xbox then informed me that even though I never had a problem with my system and the error derived after receiving this update that I would still be responsible for paying for it to be fixed. This is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of and its a scam.

After reaching out to the BBB this is the result I was given: "Thank you for contacting Microsoft Corporation via the Better Business Bureau regarding your Xbox One issue. After reviewing your complaint and service request (**), our manager is correct in stating that your Xbox One is no longer in warranty and you will need to pay an out of warranty fee if you wish to have it sent in for repair."

In no way happens or form should a loyal customer to Xbox should have to pay for a repair on a device they didn't cause the issue to occur on. I can understand wear and tear that would be the customer responsibility to have to pay to repair. But this is a clear result of Xbox update causing the problem within my system. For those who encounter the same issue you have other options than giving more money to Xbox for something that is not your fault. Go to a game repair store to have it fixed. Trade it in GameStop will take it damaged. Trade it online on sites such as eBay or let go. Trade it in for store credit and buy a PlayStation (recommended from a loyal Xbox customer).

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Customer service is beyond horrible. The apps don't work most of the time. They are closed on certain days and hours which is very inconvenient. My Vudu and Netflix app had not been working for 3 days. The www.xbox.com/status is **. Xbox sucks big time. Going to cancel my ** and take my money somewhere else. #Xboxsucks.

Xbox Company Information