1.16/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1352 Xbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

After cancelling the subscription, my card was getting charged. There is no notification from Microsoft, when they charge the monthly subscription. No email, when you unsubscribe. You can't remove your card details, it says, it has used in subscription somewhere... Customer care, does not respond to email, close the request, without your consent.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I just purchased a Xbox One for my son who has been playing on an Xbox 360 for a couple years now. I have purchased many games from the Microsoft store. After switching to the Xbox One my son was excited to start playing on his new system. When he tried to download a few games we purchased on the 360 game app store they did not show up as purchased / download again. So I called Xbox customer support and after speaking to a rep that barely spoke English I just learned I have to purchase most of those games again for him to play them on the new system. Really? Buy them again? I have played Xbox for years. Now my son is playing. I have purchased hundreds of dollars of Xbox online games and add-ons, hundreds of dollars on hard copy games, accessories and 4 Xbox consoles!!! But I am returning this Xbox One tomorrow and purchasing a Sony PlayStation. I am disgusted! Xbox is a real scam these days!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My account was suspended because I called someone a name for their behavior during an online match on Destiny 2. First of all, the game is rated Teen, which means that everyone playing should be old enough to experience things associated with that ESRB rating. Second of all, it clearly states that online interactions are not rated by the ESRB, which means that you may come across real live people that behave as such.

If you are such a sensitive and sheltered person that you cannot even handle another person speaking profanity or in any way that offends you, you should never leave your house or interact with another human being for the entirety of your pathetic life. The only reason I even called the person a name to begin with was because that person was hindering my ability to complete the task I had set out to do in the game, knowing full and well what they were doing. I reacted within my rights as an American and exercised my Freedom of Speech, only to have this person file a complaint about it. Instead of reviewing what had happened and understanding that this other person had instigated the entire situation, they instead punished ME for my reasonably upset reaction to this person's behavior.

If Xbox is so intent on protecting these weak-minded, feeble, sheltered individuals from the words of mankind like some sort of illegitimate overprotective parent, they should stop taking away the rights of people like myself and instead make it an option for these scared infantiles to NOT EVEN RECEIVE messages from anyone. Make it an option to automatically censor profane language so that they never even see it, if that's what they so choose, but NEVER violate a person's rights by punishing a behavior that is supposedly "Protected" by the U.S. Constitution. I shouldn't be punished when I have done nothing wrong and Microsoft should NOT be allowed to make these types of policies that blatantly infringe upon my rights. I paid good money to use this service and it has been taken away because Microsoft wants to illegally make it's own rights and freedoms. A Class Action Lawsuit is in order...

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I am a first time buyer through Microsoft and also LAST! I NEVER write reviews and actually despise the reviews that state that but I verbally told Microsoft I would do this and post on social media, so here I am. This experience was absolutely DISGUSTING! I ordered an Xbox 1x bundle on Cyber Monday. Microsoft was cheaper through every site I could find by $10. NOT WORTH IT! THEY CHARGED MY CARD 8x totaling over $5,000!! My bank shut my card off, I had to reverse all these charges through Microsoft and then also play phone tag with my bank ALL WHILE AT WORK!

Finally, I was able to make the stupid purchase later that evening. Why continue you might ask? WELL, they were able somehow to charge my card $10.94 and I needed that charge given back to me. In order to "compensate" they "waived" 2 day shipping. Here we are, three days later and I still have nothing I ordered. ALONG WITH THAT - they CHARGED MY CARD TWICE AFTER THIS WAS "RESOLVED" so here I sit waiting on hold for the last 21 minutes as I am writing this review. I got transferred twice and as I just explained my entire situation and asked for my money to be refunded to my card, Microsoft had hung up and yet to call back. So now I have to call back AGAIN and repeat myself for the 20th time.

This place is NOT WORTH YOUR TIME for the $10 cheaper bundle they might have offered. ANYWHERE in person or online that sells these products I have purchased through previously, is WAY BETTER to deal with and won't get your card shut off due to incompetent staff over charging 10x in three days. If I could as I tried to submit at first 0 stars, I would. Doesn't even deserve 1.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

So, they made Xboxes only have a certain amount of storage space, yet they expect people to get a membership for cloud storage? My husband can't play most of his games. Money-hungry, greedy people. We should have gotten a PlayStation. We've never had so much trouble with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

XBOX MICROSOFT it's full of hackers. They're robbing people's credit cards' details. Making orders that people don't order or want. It's full of viruses AND MICROSOFT XBOX DO NOTHING TO HELP THE HONEST CUSTOMER BEING RIPPED OFF. They denied any responsibility for their lazy customer service then they keep the monies which is not legal, and the government ACCC run away from them as they are spineless ROBBERS LIARS THIEVES.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Every time I call customer service I get a foreign person, who doesn’t understand what I’m talking about, or acts illiterate and takes 45 minutes to speak a sentence. I can’t get a refund because the platform of my old email address was deleted so I can’t verify my email?!? When my name is the same, credit card numbers match up, and everything. That’s enough verification?! I’m done with Xbox. Cheap thieves who don’t care about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Xbox live is pathetic, you can’t say a freaking word without getting suspended/banned. They think they can control people when they can’t. I'm sure there are loopholes in the agree to terms contract. They should be sued and gone bankrupt. I cannot stand them anymore and I regret ever buying anything that involved Xbox. They have 100% lost a 7+ year customer.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was recently signed out of Xbox Live and was told to change my password. I did so and it did not take, and again and again. Got locked out of my account, asked for a new password and they said no... Now I can’t sign in and Microsoft is telling me to wait 30 days until the lock is off. Nothing I did, and Microsoft won’t help besides telling me to wait 30 days... Last time I buy anything Microsoft.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I recently had my Xbox Live account hacked and something was purchased on my account. They saw it was charged to an email that was not anyone's in my household. They took my PayPal off the account but I was not able to get my funds back. So someone else is enjoying something at my expense. I was very satisfied up until this point so make sure to never add PayPal to your account.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My son has a live Xbox account. His gamertag was officerF4phantm. Today I received an email from Xbox support enforcement stating that the gamertag was considered inappropriate and was automatically changed. I called Xbox support, after searching for quite some time online for a phone number, only to be informed that the enforcement department is unreachable as there is no contact number for them. I paid $10 for the gamertag and he's had it for almost a year now.

But now, all of a sudden, it's inappropriate and there is no one to speak to about why or to discuss getting his gamertag back. These people have the power to take my money and then make changes to my account without having to answer for it. Seems very unethical and incredibly unreasonable to me. For those of you who don't know, an F-4 Phantom is an airplane. Please tell me how that's inappropriate because Xbox won't. Worst customer service ever. Don't give your money to these people because they will just steal it when they can.

Original review: July 2, 2018

First of all, Xbox One is as glitchy as a console will get. Second of all with all these annoying bugs and glitches they won't do ** about it! I've complained about the terrible connection it has to wifi even though my Nintendo Switch works perfectly fine!! Third of all, to sign into your own account they ask you for ** 10 passwords like wtf I just want to play my game and one password should be enough, 4th of all, they send me a code of "verification" and every time I go to pick up the phone it says "again your code is" and then just hangs up each and every single time. Lol. If you can even call this a service or a people's company you're better off with Nintendo, good luck!

Original review: July 2, 2018

After ongoing service issues with XBL I was told I would get my three month subscription renewed. When that didn’t happen I contacted customer support. While I admit to being a little short but this was my 18th time contacting them. The end result was being threatened with having my console banned. Not ok. As a loyal customer and a law enforcement professional I find this highly disrespectful and downright horrible customer service.

Original review: May 3, 2018

First off I received a lifetime ban, was a misunderstanding. Went through the case review process. At the end this is what was their decision, "Thank you for your patience! This Case Review has been completed. Following a thorough investigation, the Xbox Live Policy & Enforcement Team has determined that this enforcement action was not warranted. If the suspension was still active, it has now been lifted." All fine and dandy however I still can't log in to my account and Xbox support can't help at all and there is no way to contact the Xbox enforcement team.

Original review: May 1, 2018

We've tried for 5 days to reset an Xbox password. 6 emails and 7 calls later they told us to start again. When I asked for a manager a very foreign "John" took the call and began yelling in a foreign language. He told me he was disconnecting because I didn't speak his language! After he hung up I received 3 prank hang up calls from the Xbox number. Each time I said hello this foreign "John" was screaming in the background. My son spent $250 on upgrades and this is a scam to force him to rebuy. This company and the losers who work for it are a total scam.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Since 2003, I knew the Xbox brand would spell trouble for the game industry as a whole. After 10 years of supporting them and dealing with their ever-changing BS policies, I have decided to finally just GIVE UP on this brand. Not to mention that the Xbox brand makes and loses tens of millions of dollars on Xbox alone. This brand only succeed because of Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Sports and Online gaming. Now those franchises are down the toilet or milked to DEATH. *Except for Forza* The brand barely has any console only exclusives anymore. Their deals are a joke. Xbox games with Gold is a scam. Their refund policy sucks and there are tons of people who are just fed up with them. I may have my issues with Sony and Nintendo but Microsoft's Xbox brand just needs to go away! Not to mention that their customer service **! This rant is towards corporate only!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I was trying to let my son purchase an in game bundle. It took a bit to get money wired to his account, but it worked. He still got an error saying he needed to request permission to use the money. I called MS customer service and was on the phone for over an hour with someone who struggled just following the obvious script. I finally hung up and went through all of the options until I found one that lifted purchase restrictions. This can't be an uncommon issue. Unless parents are now giving their kids full access to their bank accounts.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Xbox One has to be the worst gaming platform we've ever experienced. My son received a new one for Christmas and has been nothing but disappointed. Have to download every game to play even when you buy the disc. 5 or 6 games take up all the storage on a 500gb unit. System can't stay connected to Xbox live. They say it's our internet connection but the 360 has no issues. He doesn't even play it now. Plays the 360 instead with no issues. Waste of money. Gimmick system.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This Xbox has been used for a total of about 1 month... It is not even 2 yrs old and is already dead. The warranty is up so of course Microsoft says they will fix it for a fee... Right, that's like throwing money out the window. Moving on to Sony for my kids.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My son's $150 Elite Controller broke & still under warranty. He called on 2/21 and was told to ship it but sent an email with the wrong information to ship. We sent priority shipping. They got on 2/27. Claimed they never received. Blamed us because it didn't have the service # on it. After many phone calls and no calls back, I had to put in a complaint with the BBB & action was then taken by them but they would not send it Express Mail after having it a month nor give my son Xbox Live for the hassle, inconvenience and horrible customer service.

Original review: March 18, 2018

My son has an Xbox that is being hacked. I called and they told me not only can the hacker play on his Xbox for the next month, but to make sure that I call my bank and cancel my card. Here is the best part. If the hacker gets the email before we do, then he can kick my son out of his own Xbox! Really??? You spend all this money on the system and games. Money for the game and there is no security to protect the person who owns the Xbox! I do not recommend anybody waste their money! It is great when it works but when something happens you are on your own!

Original review: March 18, 2018

Xbox has now gone to complete crap. The people that want to answer calls can’t even help. I got hung up on like 3 times. And they are charging me for a subscription that I never purchased. Then they also have Put me on a one month banned for complaining about the fact that they are taking money from my pocket.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Xbox is super pathetic now, I called some a ** and someone reported me for it and they gave me a 2 week suspension. I informed them that I will not be renewing my Xbox live gold and I will be switching over to Playstation. Xbox is losing contracts and losing customers, they don't know why but it's because they are so pathetic now that they are just a joke, I hate them with a passion now. I used to recommend them but now I tell people to stay away from them. Microsoft is such a sad company. I wish they would drift off the planet and everyone would be better off.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Xbox one games take HOURS to download. My son got a game and started downloading at 17:30 and at 21:00 he has to go to bed without being able to play because it is still downloading (at top speed). It’s ridiculous to spend $50+ that can’t be played when you get home. My son is seriously bummed. Will not be buying an Xbox ever again.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was charged $59.99 for a 12 month membership to Xbox Live. It was listed on my online banking app as a "recurring charge". I called Microsoft, and after navigating multiple robot prompts, was on hold for almost 20 minutes before I got a real live person. They told me they can see that there is an account linked to my credit card, but couldn't tell me the name of the person that set it up, the phone number attached to it, or the email address attached to it. They said they sent a message to the email they have, for "verification of the account", so if they get a response from that email, they continue to charge the credit card. I wanted to report them to the Better Business Bureau, but couldn't even find the company on the BBB website so I could report them!

Original review: March 3, 2018

Xbox Live has great potential but, promised me my first free then didn't get it. I contacted consumer support and they said bad luck. Then I got a 12 month subscription with a bonus 1 month for auto renew and didn't get that either... Not to mention everything on the Windows store is a ripoff.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Worst customer service, expensive products that are so unreliable that I spend more time troubleshooting than actually using it, especially Xbox One and Xbox Live. Switching to Sony, Microsoft won't get another dime from me.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Attention Bill & Melinda Gates! Are you aware of the poor actions of Microsoft's incompetent customer service support for XBOX? Are you aware that XBOX support is requesting access to peoples personal bank accounts? When XBOX asks me to talk to my bank so they can use my debit card, I was astounded. WHY WOULD I ALLOW YOU TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT! You see, American Express had notified me about some questionable activity on my account (Fraudulent activity from another source). When I went to replace the credit card in my daughter's account, I was unable as SHE WAS WRONGFULLY SUSPENDED BY XBOX.

Like any parent, I have a choice of what payment I provide for my child's usage. We had 3 forms of payment already in her account; 1) American Express 2) Xbox gift cards in the amount of $200.00 3) Visa card. When AMEX canceled my card FOR MY SAFETY, there were no more than $75.00 from Xbox charges that may also have been canceled.

And although there were two other methods of payment in my 12 year old daughter's account, including a $200.00 Xbox gift card from Christmas, Microsoft/XBOX decided to become a BULLY and suspend her account, without her understanding & WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME, The cardholder. Now you want ME to TALK TO MY BANK about using my credit card! Yeah OK. Keep desensitizing our children with Grand Theft Auto, and making them killers and thieves. But then you want to go ahead and accuse a child & a parent of marketplace theft when in fact I am protecting my credit & identity. And apparently, once XBOX suspends you there is no discussion until the year 9999.

Bill, Melinda, I thought with all your philanthropy, you created something better than the customer appreciation & communication Xbox is putting out. So just keep making your customer support team self righteous & keep making little criminals out of America's children with these one way games & tactics that offer no parental guidance OR COMMUNICATION. It's just VERY WRONG. You might want to look into how you are being represented to these days.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

So I bought the Xbox one! Went home and started to download and update it! That took two days!!! Went to download the Blu-ray player that took another day! Bought two games For Honor and Tekken 7! Took another two days to download For Honor and kept stopping and going to an error screen. Finally got it loaded! Tekken didn't load at all. Brand new game out of the box! Took the game back. Exchanged for another brand new copy and again wouldn't download! Took whole system back and traded for a new one which was a hassle in itself from Walmart! Had it for about a week and they tried to tell me I had to send it to Xbox until I talked to a manager and he saw that I had purchased it a week ago and still hassled me on the fifteen day return policy!

Finally after I spelled it out to him he caved and traded for a new one! Took it home and same thing never downloaded Tekken. Bought Seven Days to Die and never downloaded! Bought Sunset Overdrive and tried to download extra content and it charged me for the content but didn't download! Blu-ray took another two and half days to download and after a couple of days it won't play Blu-ray anymore! Again took it back but went through the service plan because I would have punched the guy I talked to before and they took a few weeks to send it back and guess what. Lmfao. They sent me back a refurbished console that wasn't even swiped so it had like content from the previous owner and same old ** wouldn't download Seven Days to Die, Sunset Overdrive, Tekken Seven and wouldn't even download the Blu-ray saying that memory was full! They sent me back a paperweight!

Called Xbox and they said that my internet ports were not open so I have to call my internet provider to open them lol. Called and my internet provider didn't have a clue what I was talking about because it was **! Called again and finally the guy admits who works for Xbox says that a lot of the consoles are just junk! Right from the Xbox guy himself. Wow! Told me he was really tired of the same calls and having to basically lie to the customer! If he could work for PlayStation he would and he even admitted his own Xbox had problems and never got fixed lol and that he switched and is probably going to lose his job because of my call since it's recorded!

I've since switched to PlayStation and you know what's funny? It works like no problem at all! Blu-ray built in plays just fine. No problem! All games I've downloaded took about thirty minutes to two hours to download! ** Xbox right in their stupid faces! So the only thing my Xbox does is collect dust and whenever my kid brother comes by he plays Minecraft that was still the content that was left on the game along with a few games that were download to the hard drive and two of the four freeze lmao.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My minor son accidentally clicked purchase (an game) on Xbox. I called Microsoft immediately to request a refund. After 45 minutes of waiting, including one disconnected call by a representative who did not bother to call back, Microsoft refused to refund the purchase and the representative told me that I need to “monitor my kids”. A shameful response and a terrible company that should be legally investigated.

Xbox Company Information