3.8/5 (141 ratings)

About Sonos

Sonos manufactures innovative sound system technology, including speakers, speaker sets and home theater systems. Systems are available for indoor and outdoor use. Since all Sonos products are compatible, customers can start with a low-cost system and add speakers and components over time.

Sonos Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?

Original review: May 5, 2022

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. A while back, I bought a Five and 2 Ones. I love them. So I decided to buy a Move for my back patio. Sounded good, but it wasn't what I wanted so I returned it and bought 2 Roams, order number above, on 4/14. I loved the sound and how I could move them anywhere anytime. But in a couple days I became very frustrated. They would randomly go off line (I have Cox internet, 250 mbps, the strongest they offer). Worse yet, I would play them for maybe 2 to 3 hours, and I would wake up the next day to find they had fully drained overnight...0% battery left.

On 4/18, I started calling customer support for help. Once on the 18th, 3 on the 19th. I kept getting transferred from sales to tech support. Finally reached someone about 6pm. I was on the phone for 1 HOUR, yes 1 hour, with a young lady who was very sweet, but not very knowledgeable. She kept putting me on hold so she could research my answers to her questions. Finally I demanded to escalate this to a supervisor. It wasn't until 5 days later, on the 23rd, saying my problem had been escalated.

I picked a time on the calendar to speak on 4/26 at 2pm. I spoke to Matthew G. He was very nice, and seemed to be making progress as to the problem. He couldn't figure it out so he sent me a coupon for a free plug adapter...He wanted to compare it to a generic adapter I was using. He said he was sending me an email and it would come from his personal company email, so I could reply to talk to him anytime. I ordered the adapter on 4/26...Order #103856478. I went to track it and 3 days later it said "order not found"! I replied to Matthew G's email to me and it said it was an unmonitored mailbox. I receive the reply in 20 different languages...It looked bizarre coming from an American based business.

I tried again the next day and received a reject notice saying email was no good. I'm sure you can imagine I was pissed. I had to place ANOTHER call to customer service at 3:40 on Monday May 4th. The girl was nice. I demanded to speak to Matthew and she said he wasn't answering his phone, so he must be out for the day. She said she would send him an intercompany email telling him to call me asap. As of the writing of this letter to you, he still has not reached out to me. I emailed the CEO twice (email address listed on website) and the CEO still has not replied. No wonder the customer service sucks...If the CEO tells you to email him directly, and doesn't reply, why should I expect the employees to?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Very nice sound originally, but now Sonos is annoying and useless - it will not connect (planned obsolescence = ** investment). Get this - Customer support says I now need to buy an ethernet cable to get it working! Piss off Sonos. If your product needs a cable, sell it with the system or send to your customers!! I do not recommend Sonos due to poor connectivity issues and terrible customer support.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I updated my app to S2, unbeknownst to me it made the Play:5 (Gen1) speakers useless because they are incompatible with the updated system. An investment of $1000 is lost. Ripe for class action lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

With hardly any instruction I was finally able to get the Arc sound bar connected, but it randomly stopped playing for no reason. The power cord barely stays in place and keeps falling out because it’s so loose. The app appears so simple, yet makes you feel like an idiot because it’s impossible. I can’t explain how bad this is. I just know I paid $918.00 for a soundbar that I will be gladly returning for a Bose.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Spending over $6K when you are building a house for a sound system doesn't seem like a lot at the time. 3 years later when the $500 AMP dies and you realize that it's only for a single room then you wonder. After spending close to an hour on the phone with the Sonos Help Desk you really start to think about the the organization's commitment to their customer experience. At the end they offered a 15% discount off retail to replace the AMP ($486). Now I'm wondering when the next component will die! The CSR went on to say that 3 years of "always on" has an effect on the device. I talked to my AV installer and they said that it was not uncommon for these devices to fail in such a short amount of time and they would offer me the same discount plus an installation fee. I don't think so! I'm looking for alternatives to replace or supplement this system. Any suggestions?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I have a Sonos sound bar, 2 Sonos ones and a sub in my front room. When I play music or CDs the speakers are very good. But when I’m watching tv or streaming the voice audio is terrible. News or shows with limited background sound are ok. But sports or movies are very hard to understand what someone is saying. I often (more than 50% of the time) need to turn on closed caption to understand what is being said with sports and movies or similar shows. It must be due to the sound quality arriving in my system since the speakers are fine with cds or blue ray. They even work great for streaming in 4 k. However how often does online tv have 4K.

I can disconnect the Sonos speakers and reinstall my old 5.1 system and the voice sound quality is so much better. It be nice if you could increase voice audio and or turn down the background noise, but you can’t. They have a night mode and voice enhancement button, but in my case, does not offer improvement I can notice. I am sad I bought Sonos. I have searched for online help, read other posts where others have similar complaints. I have spoken to Sonos and done online chat, looking for solutions. I have found nothing. Be careful. I thought Sonos would be a much-improved system from 20 plus-year-old 5.1 system. It turns out it’s worse.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

As we built our home, we decided to install a sound system throughout the house based on our internet installer's advice. We chose Sonos, the products looked great and seemed to be user friendly and relatively easy to work with. Three years in, the system has turned out to be a disaster. In order to connect sound throughout the house, we purchased a sound bar for a Smart TV, the Sonos MOVE, the Sonos One and the Sonos Home and for about three months, it worked well. The system consistently disconnects itself from our WIFI; it stops connecting speaker to speaker, and we routinely must reconnect to our phones. We have great WIFI, no problems at all beyond the Sonos system and the reconnection process, which I have to go through at least every 2 months (or at least every time I need to use it) is so lengthy and completely counter intuitive.

The system frequently can't find the speakers and the phones do not show the Sono's internal WIFI system they reference in order to reconnect the speakers. There are no solutions for these problems, and it can take me up to 2 hours to try to reconfigure the system and reconnect everything. My husband and I both work, we have kids, we are busy and our intent in choosing to install the Sonos system was to allow us to listen to music together and enjoy our various music platforms. The Sonos system has turned out to be so frustrating, and I deeply regret investing in it. I wish was flush enough to rip it out and throw these speakers away, but I am not. So we just play music through the TV. I have reached out to Sonos directly, but their help is not thoughtful or helpful. Do not purchase these speakers if you have another option. Save yourself time and hours of dysfunctional frustration!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I purchased a whole house systems and spent over $2000! After a few years (when they updated the Sonos App) many of the speakers are now incompatible with the new App. So basically I just have to throw them in the trash as they are WORTHLESS. Will NEVER buy Sonos again! HUGE waste of money!!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

Extremely expensive and does not update. We spent over $6,000 and only one item still works and even that is sporadic. SO DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED. Will NEVER buy Sonos again! Only lasted a few years before major issues started to occur.

Original review: July 6, 2021

SONOS provided years of quality music and sound but with the OS upgrade it's out with the old and time to pay more! I have two Play 5 units that I paid $500 apiece for and are worthless. They say you can operate them on the old OS but I've spent days trying to make it work and I give up. I won't be buying SONOS again.

Sonos Company Information