2. Miscellaneous

3.7/5 (48 ratings)

About Sonos

Sonos manufactures innovative sound system technology, including speakers, speaker sets and home theater systems. Systems are available for indoor and outdoor use. Since all Sonos products are compatible, customers can start with a low-cost system and add speakers and components over time.

Sonos Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?

Original review: July 20, 2021

Extremely expensive and does not update. We spent over $6,000 and only one item still works and even that is sporadic. SO DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED. Will NEVER buy Sonos again! Only lasted a few years before major issues started to occur.

Original review: July 6, 2021

SONOS provided years of quality music and sound but with the OS upgrade it's out with the old and time to pay more! I have two Play 5 units that I paid $500 apiece for and are worthless. They say you can operate them on the old OS but I've spent days trying to make it work and I give up. I won't be buying SONOS again.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I wish everyone could see this before making the mistake to buy a Sonos product. My experience with Sonos has been so horrible that I will never recommend or buy another product from this company. I purchased an SL and attempted to connect the speakers with my Alexa Echos. Upon multiple unsuccessful attempts and many hours wasted, I try to find help on forums and reviews on the Alexa app. It turns out that this issue has been going on for months without any remedy or fix. I contact Sonos support and spent about an hour with a “tech specialist” that denied the issue I was having until I recommended that he looked at the reviews and forums.

He then acknowledged that my issue was not an isolated issue. He said that it appeared the SL no longer worked with Alexa and his solution was to RETURN MY PRODUCT AND PURCHASE THE MORE EXPENSIVE SONOS ONE. Absurd advice to begin with, but I told him that I purchased through Costco and no longer had my receipt. Besides the fact that was not an acceptable solution (and how would I be certain that if I got the Sonos one, that in the future it wouldn’t just break and they suggest I buy a new product again) he said that I could process a return with their sales team and I should call them during business hours to process a return. I asked if he would detail notes of my call so that I wouldn’t have to waste another hour and repeat the call to another agent and he confirmed that there would be call notes and a recording of the call.

Frustrated, I waited until the next day to call back to provide my case number and either find a solution or return the product. When I spoke to the agent, she said that the previous agent did not take notes so I needed to go through the process of explaining it all over again. I asked if she could listen back to the recording and she said it’s possible that there was a recording. At this point, I just wanted to work on returning my product and going with a different company, so I asked to process and a return and she told me it’s not possible because I didn’t buy through Sonos. From false advertising to trying to upsell me when their product is broken should be illegal. How is this company still allowed to do business when so many people report similar issues as I?

Original review: June 19, 2021

Sonos makes good quality speakers. It is a shame that I bought several old Sonos 1’s & amp that soon became outdated. I should be able to have some future compatibility with their newer stuff. They lost my respect.

Original review: May 2, 2021

Add us to the long list of Sonos haters. For what we paid for this system it should have lasted at least forever. Two weeks ago they did an o/s update that killed my Gen 1 equipment. That should be illegal - everything worked fine and Sonos knowingly killed it. And to rub salt in the wound, offered us a 30% discount on a new system. Two thumbs down and two fingers up, Sonos.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I liked my Sonos One SL, until today. It just died - no power. To add salt to my wound, Sonos support had no way of repairing it, and since it was two months out of warranty, they offered to replace it for $109 plus tax. How big of them. Not gonna happen.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I have Gen 1 and Gen 2 Play 5s. I just bought the new Gen 3 play 5 only to find out it will not work with the same network as my others. Shame on you Sonos for making my system not expandable. My last purchase was only a year ago and is now obsolete. A BIG don’t buy for Sonos.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Good news:

1) The speaker sounds good (for the money), looks good, and is portable.

2) Customer service is reachable (and tries to be helpful) if you call at off times.

Bad news:

1) Sonos says it works with Google Assistant, but this is limited. For example, I use Sirius XM, which can be commanded through Google Assistant ONLY if one is using a Google Smart Speaker. I can only control XM through the Sonos app (which works fine). Don't expect the same level of integration as you'd get with a Google smart speaker.

2) The Speaker must reside on the same network as the mobile device on which the Sonos app is installed. For example, if my phone is on my main network, the Sonos app will not function if the speaker is on my guest network (highly recommended for security reasons). If/when Sonos stops patching the Sonos One - let's say after 3 years - this will create a security issue, as the speaker is sitting on the same network as my files.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I have a large 7000 square-foot penthouse apartment with a multi thousand dollar Sonos installation. I would say that on a day-to-day basis there is about a 50-50 percent chance that it will work on any given time when I try to use it. I’m sure it’s just perception, but it seems like when I need it for a party or an event I am hosting it’s reliability goes down to about 20%. Constant Errors with “Sonos can’t be found“ or “Sonos can’t connect Wi-Fi“ and so on. Note that none of the other many wireless devices in my home have the same issues.

Then it is a comedy of errors trying to reboot systems, run around and see if all the nodes are working and lit up, and finally calling the company who installed it who basically does the same thing. Calling or trying to reach sonos customer service is a total farce. It essentially does not exist. Their online “troubleshooter“ basically comes down to “unplug and replug your Wi-Fi router“. I think there is a South Park comedy episode about that. The next time I am looking for a similar system it will be anything except Sonos.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

After spending thousands of dollars with this company, and wanting to spend even more, I've tried for days to reach their sales department with chat, phone calls and emails. NOTHING! No response. Sat on hold for 40 minutes. This is how they treat a customer that's spent a lot of money with them. And I will add, not another dime. They must think they are a lot more important than their customers. I'm done with them.

Sonos Company Information