2. Miscellaneous

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.05/5

Sonos manufactures innovative sound system technology, including speakers, speaker sets and home theater systems. Systems are available for indoor and outdoor use. Since all Sonos products are compatible, customers can start with a low-cost system and add speakers and components over time.

Sonos Reviews

Original review: May 10, 2020

I was an early adopter of Sonos and I own more than a 1/2 dozen Play 5s, and a surround system with a Playbar, sub, and two Play 1s. For the first five years or so, Sonos was AWESOME!!!! Really good sound quality out of a small speaker. The only downside was that they are very expensive. Fast forward to 2020 and it's a very different story.

Longevity - Well before the CEO of Sonos publicly declared that they were going to BRICK all my Gen 1 stuff, (he KINDA walked this back a few weeks later) I was losing confidence in Sonos. Sonos has made it blatantly clear that they will not be supporting Gen 1 equipment much longer. They may have pushed it back a few months due to customer uproar, but the day is coming that my $400+ (each) speakers are useless.

Interface - The app is flaky; options are not intuitive to find, and the PC interface is useless. They force you to use the mobile app for many features. As a PC user, this seems crazy to me. I have very little control of my Sonos system via my PC. I can control my security system, smart appliances, etc with my PC....but not Sonos. Sonos forces me to get out my phone and use the mobile app to make most changes to the system. Why even have a PC/Web interface if you are not going to include most of the pertinent options?!?

Sound - Sonos speaker have good sound, not a great sound. The sound from the Sonos speakers sounds very "tuned" and enhanced. It's not bad, just different. A true audiophile would probably not like these speakers at all. However as a layperson, the overall sound from the Sonos speakers is quite impressive, as long as you are using a wireless input. The 3.5mm jacks on the Gen 1 play 5s are so noisy that they are basically useless. I have a couple Gen 2 Play 5s and they might sound a little better than the Gen 1, but not by much. Certainly not worth upgrading an existing Gen 1 to a Gen 2, just for sound quality.

Alternatives - If you are looking for GREAT sound quality with Bluetooth connectivity, I would suggest Vanatoo Audio. Far superior sound, easier to use, and less expensive; however they don't have all the networking (ie wireless to each other) that Sonos patented. Still, for the price of ONE Play 5, you get TWO speakers that sound WAY, WAY better than Sonos. Other options are Edifier, Kanto, KEF, and Audioengine. My Vanatoo Transparent Zeros cost $365 for a pair and they blow Sonos out of the water! WAY better sound, FAR superior connectivity, smaller, better looking, and pretty much just better in every way. They also make the Transparent One Encore for $599 per pair, which is supposed to be even better, although a little larger. They are next on my wish list.

Summation - In my option, Sonos was a good company with a great idea that went public, got too big, and decided to focus on profit rather than customer service. While they still make a pretty good sounding speaker, that works well (when it works), it is simply not worth the premium they are charging. You can buy systems from other companies with very similar (if not identical) features for less money. The Denon system is so similar that Sonos sued them (and won), so every time someone buys a Denon system, Sonos gets a royalty. They are also suing other companies (big names like Google) for patent infringement.

I wholeheartedly support anyone who created a new technology and patented it, as Sonos did here. However, Sonos has seemed to change their business model such that patent infringement seems to be WAY more important to them than customer satisfaction or product innovation. They have the legal right to protect their intellectual property, just like anyone else, but it seems that Sonos has chosen to focus on litigation rather than improving their products and serving their customers.

I tried to call Sonos customer service an hour ago for yet another issue,(it's 8pm MDT) and there is no 24/7 tech support. Are you kidding me? If this was a $99 system that would be understandable, but I spend $500-$800 EACH on these speakers. Sonos did over $1.2 BILLION dollars in revenue in 2019 and they don't have a 24/7 customer service line?

I will probably never buy another Sonos product personally for the reasons listed above. I rated them 2 out of 5 because it they do sound good and work well.... when they work, and they used to be awesome. If you are a new Sonos customer, I wish you good luck, but if you have not pulled the trigger yet, you should certainly consider some of the options I listed above. I am in no way compensated by anyone, this is just one guy's unbiased option. Good Luck!!!

Original review: May 9, 2020

Consistently failing to work. Often on hold to their customer service department for hours on end to no avail. Their internal system keeps changing which means that it becomes very non-user friendly, time consuming and laborious.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I spent a fortune on speakers for my entire home! It has been fine for many years but now they aren't working with my music and they soon will no longer support order speakers! They gave the option of trading in old speakers for new ones but who's to say it won't happen again!!?? I would think twice before investing in this system!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Warning to potential customers – do NOT buy ANY Sonos products without first doing your homework on the company. Do not be misled by the many earlier, positive reviews and ignore this warning, or you will be very sorry at some point. Simply search for “Sonos Legacy Products” and you will have no difficulty finding the information.

I have been a loyal Sonos customer for ten years and have been very happy with their products. Two days ago, out of the blue, I and thousands of other customers received an email from Sonos informing us that they are going to “legacy” a number of their older products, rendering them obsolete in 4 months. Beginning in May 2020, they will no longer provide software updates for these products, which they warn will affect your listening experience. What’s worse? If you have any of these “legacy” components in your system, all of your new components will cease to receive updates, too, rendering your entire system obsolete.

They provide two options – continue using your existing components and accept a loss of access to services and overall functionality, or spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to upgrade to newer components. They offer a 30% trade-up discount, which I presume is supposed to take the sting out of the news, but to me this still sounds like blackmail – buy new products from us to upgrade your system or else suffer the consequences.

Here is my dilemma. If I shell out $1,500 to replace the three components in my system that they have decided to legacy this year, I am just waiting for the inevitable email that they have decided to legacy other components, putting me right back in this position. By buying their products, they are trapping you in an endless cycle of needing to buy new ones. Do your research and understand what you are signing up for if you choose to buy their products! I will never buy another Sonos product, and will do everything I can to let potential buyers know about their practices so they can make an informed decision.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

What cheek! SONOS is writing to existing customers to inform them, that their SONOS devices, bought for thousands of euros, will no longer receive updates from May 2020 on, and will therefore no longer work in the future. At the same time, a "generous" discount of 30% is offered, when exchanging for new devices.

What a dirty business model is that! One thing is clear to me: NEVER AGAIN SONOS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I am a legacy owner of Sonos equipment since 2006. I have continued to make purchases for my home and as gifts. Sonos did not have a more devoted customer. I own >22 legacy devices. As all other owners were abruptly informed yesterday via email, the company will no longer support my (very expensive) system as of May 2020. These items were never sold as “limited life”. I will not make any further purchases. I feel used.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Sonos itself has become obsolete. It's about the "legacy" issue of home speakers bought a few years ago. The biggest joke is the 30% discount when you decide to trade up. The old hardware will be shut down by Sonos. Instead of trading up I would advise to abort mission and seek for alternatives. Almost all audio brands have wireless and easy to use plug and play setups. Hopefully more futureproof.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I received an email today regarding the fact that several of the products that I purchased will no longer receive updates. I am extremely disappointed and will no longer be a customer. Yes they offered a 30 % discount but I do not want to shell out grand or more for a new product that will be obsolete in 5 years again. I also own quite a bit of stock which I will be dumping asap.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

With the Information, that the Support of Sonos Products will end in May, sonos overplayed their hand. Imagine Bang and Olufson to shut down their products after nine years. For the money they want and for the products it is unbelievable to shut them down after such a short period. Normally I would give more stars, as I like the products, but what should I recommend, when it is not sustainable. Also the offer, a 30% discount on new devices, is ridiculous, as I recall it, sonos was one in a few companies that implied a 20% price rise in 2015 for currency reasons in Europe. I wonder what I will do, stay with the old product or buy the new, sell them and switch to Teufel or and other brand. Would be nice to hear your opinion about the issue. Maybe we could start a big social complaint action. ;)

Many regards Felix

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Sonos is a sound system that allows you to play different music in different rooms. However, their speakers become obsolete every few years because they cannot be updated. I just received a notice that the thousands of dollars I invested is down the hole because the speaker software can't be updated anymore. I've already had to replace the bridge for ~$400, now they want me to replace my speakers, which will total over $1000. The speakers are expensive to begin with, then the company requires you to replace the obsolete speakers, and is supposedly nice enough to offer a 30% discount to buy more expensive speakers. They should be exchanged for free or pay a rental fee if they need that regular of updating.

Bad enough that they gouge consumers, but this also trashes the environment... Where is all the old equipment going that you can't update, a landfill?? Come on Sonos. You had a really great thing going and you blew it. Now you're trying to recoup costs from your customers because you were ignorant in giving Google and Amazon your blueprints and now they out-sell you. You're trying to recoup your loss by gouging your customers. I don't I'll be a customer of yours any longer. Don't waste your money. You'll have to reinvest in a few years to replace the equipment. Very Wasteful!!!

Sonos Company Information