3.25/5

16 Sonos Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

There once was a time when you could invest in high-quality audio equipment and be assured of reliable performance for years, if not decades. Sonos does not follow that model. If you own Sonos equipment, you have to worry not only about the performance of the equipment -- which is unpredictable -- but you must also take into account that the people at Sonos might change their mind about how they prefer their equipment to work. I have spent thousands of dollars on my Sonos system, and many more thousands on a music library that I own. However, Sonos notified me that with the next update these two investments of mine will no longer be compatible. In other words, I will not be able to play back any music stored locally on my devices.

Of course, I will be able to play my own music if I spend more money on additional Sonos products (a lot more) or start paying for a premium streaming service every month and download my entire library to it. But to be forced into this decision based on the whims of the people at Sonos does not make for satisfied customers when they have already spent as much money as I have.

It took nearly two years of dealing with technical issues getting all of my Sonos speakers to consistently cooperate. I have finally been able to enjoy my own music library hassle-free for the last several months. Looks like that will be all I get to enjoy. I have nothing but regret for buying these speakers. My experience with Sonos has been only repeated disappointment.

Original review: May 31, 2019

The company FORCES an update onto me. Despite my many complaints to them. It fails to give me the option of having no update. I have no idea what the updates are for, no guarantee they will work. No way to simply keep a system that works for me. This is intrusive behaviour on their part. Wholly unacceptable. The updates do NOT fix the drop-outs I often experience using Sonos, both with radio and my own music library.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Anytime there is an updates, (updates I am forced to do just before I have company over for a party), the software either hangs up, gives a stupid message such as I need to add another speaker. I have enough speakers! No other option given, and I don't know what to do. I am changing away from Sonos. Sonos software has been doing this to me for years and I am more than familiar with technology. It was fine in the beginning, for about a year before all this started. The most frustrating thing is the lack of any benefit to the updates. All I want to do is play my music. Very, very frustrating and now money being thrown away.

Original review: July 22, 2018

After months of back and forth it was finally discovered that my Sonos 5 speaker had a broken wireless bit and the speaker needed to be replaced. They said they would send me a new one and I was to send back my broken speaker. My speaker never came. After calling back they said it was out of warranty! That speaker is over $500!!! NEVER BUY SONOS!!! I think they are a scam and I am going to tell everyone!!!

Original review: May 14, 2018

Used to be great but I imagine the business has new owners as it is now colossally awful! Constant updates of the App that prevent you from using your speakers until it is updated. Often takes 20 minutes and you only know when you try and use your speakers. Awful App. Unintuitive and cannot find most of my music as has no keyword search function. No Bluetooth so cannot play Youtube. Need to create an account with a complicated password 8 digits with special characters and uppercase etc. Exactly 8 digits means 99% of people have to create and remember a special password for using their speakers. They also have stopped old equipment from working forcing people to replace their equipment. Buy Bluetooth. Much easier and less complicated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I would appreciate the instructions to be more step by step with pictures. I am not stupid but my technology is a little dated so make it easy for me. I don't want to have to ask kids to give up their time. I should be able to do.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

It has a loud sound not muffled and this little speaker is outstanding for my back yard and also inside my home. I love, love, love our Sonos speaker and I tell anyone looking for a speaker.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

My daughter "convinced" me that we "needed" an in home assistance, yet I am still trying to figure out why I bought this product. It's not necessary and it's not useful to simplify life. It’s very complicated and disruptive and I feel watched. What if the device gets hacked, no privacy.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We had to hire Geek Squad to correctly get it to interact with Charter/Spectrum. It's not easy to navigate with the Logitech remote, the cable company and all the wifi interference. The last update with Sonos made our audio not work but once I complained Sonos sent me another update which worked.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have a Sonos system consisting of two Sonos 5 speakers. They were easy to hook up, and the sound is of above average! These are the best speakers I've ever had!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I would recommend Sonos to anyone. I have indoor and outdoor speakers even around my pool. The sound and clarity is great. I am thinking about adding to my shop also. If you like music as much as I do. I know you will enjoy it also. While my neighbors are not close your neighbor will enjoy the sound also.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Excellent Speakers which allow a great amount of installation flexibility. They are costly, but well worth the money. They also allow the flexibility to effectively interface with other speaker brands (e.g., Outside speaker systems).

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My Sonos system was set up and installed by the people from the technology group that installed my cable and other electronics. The system was easy to use once I finally figured out how the system worked and how to play the music outside on my pool deck.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I think that it's best for your living room, to hear the best quality of sound good system for your dollar, and your time. Music sounds like you're at a live concert or at the theater.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Sonos is a great system. I can hear one song in my bedroom and another in another room. Sound is clear without any distortion at all. However, connection to the internet and my phone was a bit difficult... Too complicated.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

It's OK for providing background music. You use your own music or use one of many radio connections. I own a high quality hifi sound system so it's not used for enjoyable listening.

Sonos Company Information