2. Miscellaneous

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.91/5

Sonos manufactures innovative sound system technology, including speakers, speaker sets and home theater systems. Systems are available for indoor and outdoor use. Since all Sonos products are compatible, customers can start with a low-cost system and add speakers and components over time.

Sonos Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

After spending thousands of dollars with this company, and wanting to spend even more, I've tried for days to reach their sales department with chat, phone calls and emails. NOTHING! No response. Sat on hold for 40 minutes. This is how they treat a customer that's spent a lot of money with them. And I will add, not another dime. They must think they are a lot more important than their customers. I'm done with them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

On 11/15/20 I placed an order for a portable speaker my brother had raved about for some time. I had been loyal to Bose for several years and figured I’d try something new. It was a gift for my daughters birthday today (11/24/20). The company website stated that orders would be delivered within 1-5 business days giving me enough time to gift. On 11/19/20 I noticed that it still hadn’t shipped so I called Sonos to inquire on the status. After a 24min hold, the rep told me they had an overwhelming response to the sale and that my order would ship the following week (“possibly”...he said). WTF!? The next day I received an email with tracking info for delivery on 11/23/20...problem solved right?? Nope!!

On 11/23 I checked the FedEx website and saw that the last scan was on 11/20 with the box still in CA...I live in FL. Obviously the speaker never made it on time. The next day I emailed the Sonos CEO (Patrick Spence) to express my concerns. Of course he didn’t reply but a manager did. He basically pointed the finger to FedEx and said that it was in their hands and that I’d have to contact them to resolve the issue. While I agree that FedEx may have dropped the ball, Sonos response was utterly ridiculous. Don’t point the finger and try to avoid taking any responsibility or action.
    1) They waited for the last possible day to ship an item.
    2) They’re still capable of looking into the matter more closely by contacting the carrier to help resolve the issue. But they didn’t want to.
    3) They offered no solution or ways to make up for the fact that now I had no gift to offer my daughter. No remorse whatsoever.

I will NEVER do business with Sonos again. I canceled the order with FedEx and demanded they return it back to them. Customer service is terrible at Sonos. I’d rather pay more for better service than to be tricked into buying a product or service with bad customer service. Keep your speaker... I’ll go back to Bose.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I recently upgraded my home entertainment center, and was excited to install and use the Sonos brand for my new sound system. After much reading watching videos I purchased the system I wanted including the new Arc, this is where it went sideways. After my new tv was mounted I found out I would be unable to use the Sonos mount to attach to my Tv and decided to place it on my tv display cabinet instead.

I let Sonos know I wouldn’t be needing the new mount and would like to return it for a refund. The procedure was simple enough and after a couple of emails including an authorized return notification I was told I would be receiving a shipping label for the box. I never received it and have asked repeatedly via customer service for it to be sent, they always apologize but still no shipping label has been received. I’m keeping all my contact paperwork unless they claim I am outside their return window. I just hope when I plug everything in their equipment works better than their customer service has.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Since 2014 we have owned three Play 1 and one Play 5 speakers. Overall, we have had few issues with them with the exception of the Play 5, which lost wifi and was replaced. No big deal and quite happy until recently. Sonos has "upgraded" its system so that I can no longer stream my music library from my iPhone to my speakers. To do so now I would have to either pay for a streaming service or pay for a NAS. I'm not interested in paying for a streaming service to listen to music I already own. I'm sick and tired of these amoral tech companies that dictate the manner in which you can use a product you own. Will sell all my Sonos and find a replacement.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I'm not sure what is worse, the speakers or "customer service". You can't get a hold of anyone! This product is useless and works MAYBE. My system won't connect because I simply have a new router. The Sonos One won't stop buzzing. Can't get a voice to explain exactly my problem. DON'T BUY!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I purchased a Sonos system with 6 speakers about 5 years ago. My IT person recommended it. Immediately it began to disconnect itself from any control device. We have now spent over $2000, on various suggested devices in an attempt to keep it working. We installed a Powerful router, no better. We then had to begin one by one to hard wire the speakers. Eventually we ended up with 3 that are wireless, and 3 hard wired. One speaker, Sonos 5, the most expensive one burned up. It works for a few days, then cannot connect from mobile, or desktop. Sonos is trying to force all control to mobile devices, and now won't allow setup procedures from a desktop. Run from Sonos Products.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Two years ago I bought a pair of Sonos speakers. Took about an hour to get them working. About every couple of months something would go wrong. I spend another two hours trying to get them work. Now I cannot get them to work at all. Of course, you can't get anyone at Sonos to help. They are always overwhelmed with calls. Maybe that's because their systems are so hard to set up and operate. Use at your own risk. When it takes more time trying to get your speakers to work than you spend listening to them, time to go back to analog. That's all I listen to now, my old stereo. One click of the button and it always works.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I was an early adopter of Sonos and I own more than a 1/2 dozen Play 5s, and a surround system with a Playbar, sub, and two Play 1s. For the first five years or so, Sonos was AWESOME!!!! Really good sound quality out of a small speaker. The only downside was that they are very expensive. Fast forward to 2020 and it's a very different story.

Longevity - Well before the CEO of Sonos publicly declared that they were going to BRICK all my Gen 1 stuff, (he KINDA walked this back a few weeks later) I was losing confidence in Sonos. Sonos has made it blatantly clear that they will not be supporting Gen 1 equipment much longer. They may have pushed it back a few months due to customer uproar, but the day is coming that my $400+ (each) speakers are useless.

Interface - The app is flaky; options are not intuitive to find, and the PC interface is useless. They force you to use the mobile app for many features. As a PC user, this seems crazy to me. I have very little control of my Sonos system via my PC. I can control my security system, smart appliances, etc with my PC....but not Sonos. Sonos forces me to get out my phone and use the mobile app to make most changes to the system. Why even have a PC/Web interface if you are not going to include most of the pertinent options?!?

Sound - Sonos speaker have good sound, not a great sound. The sound from the Sonos speakers sounds very "tuned" and enhanced. It's not bad, just different. A true audiophile would probably not like these speakers at all. However as a layperson, the overall sound from the Sonos speakers is quite impressive, as long as you are using a wireless input. The 3.5mm jacks on the Gen 1 play 5s are so noisy that they are basically useless. I have a couple Gen 2 Play 5s and they might sound a little better than the Gen 1, but not by much. Certainly not worth upgrading an existing Gen 1 to a Gen 2, just for sound quality.

Alternatives - If you are looking for GREAT sound quality with Bluetooth connectivity, I would suggest Vanatoo Audio. Far superior sound, easier to use, and less expensive; however they don't have all the networking (ie wireless to each other) that Sonos patented. Still, for the price of ONE Play 5, you get TWO speakers that sound WAY, WAY better than Sonos. Other options are Edifier, Kanto, KEF, and Audioengine. My Vanatoo Transparent Zeros cost $365 for a pair and they blow Sonos out of the water! WAY better sound, FAR superior connectivity, smaller, better looking, and pretty much just better in every way. They also make the Transparent One Encore for $599 per pair, which is supposed to be even better, although a little larger. They are next on my wish list.

Summation - In my option, Sonos was a good company with a great idea that went public, got too big, and decided to focus on profit rather than customer service. While they still make a pretty good sounding speaker, that works well (when it works), it is simply not worth the premium they are charging. You can buy systems from other companies with very similar (if not identical) features for less money. The Denon system is so similar that Sonos sued them (and won), so every time someone buys a Denon system, Sonos gets a royalty. They are also suing other companies (big names like Google) for patent infringement.

I wholeheartedly support anyone who created a new technology and patented it, as Sonos did here. However, Sonos has seemed to change their business model such that patent infringement seems to be WAY more important to them than customer satisfaction or product innovation. They have the legal right to protect their intellectual property, just like anyone else, but it seems that Sonos has chosen to focus on litigation rather than improving their products and serving their customers.

I tried to call Sonos customer service an hour ago for yet another issue,(it's 8pm MDT) and there is no 24/7 tech support. Are you kidding me? If this was a $99 system that would be understandable, but I spend $500-$800 EACH on these speakers. Sonos did over $1.2 BILLION dollars in revenue in 2019 and they don't have a 24/7 customer service line?

I will probably never buy another Sonos product personally for the reasons listed above. I rated them 2 out of 5 because it they do sound good and work well.... when they work, and they used to be awesome. If you are a new Sonos customer, I wish you good luck, but if you have not pulled the trigger yet, you should certainly consider some of the options I listed above. I am in no way compensated by anyone, this is just one guy's unbiased option. Good Luck!!!

Original review: May 9, 2020

Consistently failing to work. Often on hold to their customer service department for hours on end to no avail. Their internal system keeps changing which means that it becomes very non-user friendly, time consuming and laborious.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I spent a fortune on speakers for my entire home! It has been fine for many years but now they aren't working with my music and they soon will no longer support order speakers! They gave the option of trading in old speakers for new ones but who's to say it won't happen again!!?? I would think twice before investing in this system!

Sonos Company Information