3.6/5 (182 ratings)

About Sonos

Sonos manufactures innovative sound system technology, including speakers, speaker sets and home theater systems. Systems are available for indoor and outdoor use. Since all Sonos products are compatible, customers can start with a low-cost system and add speakers and components over time.

Sonos Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sonos?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

We had our system professionally installed. Then a few months later it was disconnected to replace carpet. I also change routers. No matter what I do I cannot get reconnected. I was told to get a 2.4gh router which I did and the system still will not reconnect. It's impossible to get anyone from Sonos to give a straight answer. I've followed all directions and it still won't connect to the wifi. Sonos system are just too complicated for the average person to use. I would never buy one or recommend one again. When working they are fine. It shouldn't take an IT genius to reinstall. Any suggestions?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I have 6 Play 5's and one Roam SL. For the first year and a half, the Play 5s were very stable. It was easy to get them connected the first time and they would just play. No messing about. Adding the Roam SL was the first inkling of things to come. It takes numerous repetitions of the same process to get the Roam SL on the network, and then it will simply drop off the next day and require the same joining process again. And now, with the latest update, the Play 5s are exhibiting the same behavior. Yesterday, after the update, I had to go around the house turning them on and off, rebooting the router, rinse and repeat, and was eventually able to get them all back on the network.

Today, though, after 12 hours being left on their own, only half of them are still on the network and the other half refuse to re-join. I'm sure, after a few more hours, I'll be able to get them back on, but tomorrow they might be off again. I decided to use the time to write this review instead. I wish Sonos had put as much effort into their product engineering as they did into their IPO. I'm not a shareholder, I'm a disappointed stakeholder.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Long time Sonos user. From the S1 version I had 2x Sonos Fives, 1x Sonos Three, 1x soundbar, 1x sub and 2x Sonos Ones. KNOWING I COULDN'T USE ANY EXCEPT THE SUB I WAS STILL EXCITED TO UPGRADE. My Sonos experience to that point in time had been five-star incredible. However, due to software glitches between the phone and my wireless network, I'm looking to rip and replace this system. My Arc + 2x Ones + Sub system disconnect from the wireless network and ask to be reconfigured 3-4 times a week. I'll open my app and simply get "SYSTEM: TV Room (?+?+RS) Not Configured".

This message requires a disconnect of each of my speakers (sub, arc, two ones) then a reboot and then finding them on the network again and then putting them back into a configuration. In 60 days I've gone from "I can't live without Sonos" to this review. Wish I had a different report. Found myself on Consumer Affairs looking for "Home Speaker System Reviews" as I investigate what I'll be replacing this with.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

Sub woofer got repair but can’t get replacement. If anyone in India don’t buy this product. It won’t work well in india. You will not get good service in india. Cheaters. Have bad time to buy this product.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

My experience with Sonos has been incredibly awful. I spent about $1500 on the sound system from Sonos. The subwoofer Gen 3 was about $750, The Beam Gen 2 was about $450, and the Sonos SL ones were about $400 for the set. When I first got the set it worked fine for a few months, but after moving to another state where the cable provider was Xfinity is where all the problems began. I told Sonos over and over again the app drops signal and doesn't show certain products connected and in addition it'll show certain devices connected on the app that are not connected at all.

In addition, I wanted to provide some details of the troubleshooting that I did. I have contacted Sonos customer service about four different times and I've been told everything from hard resets rebooting the products disconnecting the router turning the products off and nothing works to get all of these to work together. I have an Xfinity gateway or Comcast if you will. And it has no problem connecting to all these other devices and runs at adequate speeds of 300MPS, but the Sonos products just are not communicating. So with that said I was able to return the Sonos SL Ones but the Beam Gen 2 and the Sub Gen 3 are out of the return period at Best Buy. So I have over $1000 of useless equipment I can’t use with anything.

I begged and pleaded with Sonos to refund the money as I have only had them six months and they told me they could not. That is very disheartening as they should stand behind their products. There is not enough info out there for what Wifi Gateways Sonos doesn’t play well with. Because they are predominantly a Wifi ecosystem, I would encourage everyone to stay away.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Sonos has been THE biggest frustration we have ever encountered with any electronic...EVER! Their customer service is absolutely one of the worst. I purchased Play 1 speakers and then bought the Move speaker for its portability. The Move never worked and after a week called Sonos. I was on the phone for over an hour and was told they had "to go" since nothing was resolved. Wait, what? I have been on the phone for an hour and am told since they are unable to resolve the issue they have to go? Yep.

I gave up and the Move has only worked about 12 times in 3 yrs. Suddenly the Sonos app no longer worked on both my and my husband's phone. I called customer service after trying for a week to resolve it with online instructions and was on the phone for TWO hours. I was told to unplug the wifi extenders, then the Verizon extender and reset my phone. Since none of these options resolved the issue I was then told I had to reboot my router, which I did as well. Four times prior to the above mentioned we had to reset speakers to factory settings which didn't work either.

The last thing they told me was to wait 15 min after rebooting the router which didn't work and then told me to contact CenturyLink to gain access to the router configurations. Yeah right... So I have 3 Sonos speakers, none of which work and no resolution and a wasted $600! DO NOT buy Sonos products...they are not worth the headache and frustration. I never had issues with Bose so going back to Bose products.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I recently made two returns because I was not satisfied with the product. Both were received by the return department on July 7th and I received and email for both on July 7th saying, "We received your return. A refund will be issued to your original payment method within 15 business days. It should appear as soon as your financial institution posts the transaction. If there are additional products associated with this return, your refund may be delayed until all products are received."

Today is August 8th and I have yet to see a refund, I just got off the call with customer service (THIS IS THE 3RD TIME I'VE CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE). They said they will escalate, I've heard this twice now and so far, they have NOT been able to resolve this issue. Customer service which seems to be off-shore truly seem helpless in resolving this issue, they tell me the holdup is with SONOS finance department. They escalate and NEVER hear back from finance. I seem to be at a dead end with customer service. Return orders **, **. SONOS (800) 680-2345. Monday to Friday 10am - 8:30pm ET. Best regards.

Original review: July 26, 2022

Unless you are super tech savvy, do not buy this product or any Sonos product!! I had this product for two to three months and spent more time trying to connect it than listening to music… Complete waste of $200.. Ended up throwing it in the trash and buying a Bluetooth speaker from Marshall that took me less than 30 seconds to get working.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I am an electrical engineer with a PhD and even I am frustrated with the obstacles that Sonos puts in between their speakers and my music. I guess I have a bunch of worthless Play 1 speakers now that are not compatible with airplay. If Tesla can download new software to an old car, why can't Sonos? I had a rough time with moving the speakers to a new home as well, but eventually persevered. There is really no reason for either difficulty other than poor software and poor customer support. So beware, if you buy a new speaker, you will love it and hug it and call it a pet name. But a few years from now, it will frustrate you to no end.

Original review: June 25, 2022

I have had Sonos for many years and have a whole house system with many amps. The customer support is simply awful. First the system has always had issues with skipping and stopping during playing. I had changed phones and used my wife's as well with the same issue. I primarily wanted Sonos to play music Playlists from my phone. This was working, with the above problems, but I had updated my phone with a Samsung S21 Ultra. During the change over I had lost a lot of music, of which I reloaded. Sonos is not updating my new Playlist and music. After about 6 hours (3 different days) of troubleshooting, they kept trying to tell me that my problem was using an unsupported music file. They couldn't understand that I was telling them that it was MP3 and I would even add a song that Sonos was playing on one playlist but wouldn't pick it up if I added that exact song to a new Playlist.

After these 6 hours with customer support, they finally said that there is a "known" problem with the new Android software and Sonos and Android isn't talking to each other properly. That their engineers are working on it. First, why didn't inform me of that much earlier on in this communication and secondly, how long do their engineers need to fix this. I probably have paid well over 5k for this system not to work as design. They also told me to use a streaming service instead! I have before, but I have all the music I like on my Playlists and want to listen to my device. What a joke!

Sonos Company Information