Magnavox TV

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Magnavox TV

Quit paying for costly home repairs

373 Magnavox TV Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

Model 40ME313V will not power on. Unplug the TV and wait until the red light turns off, then wait 1 more minute then plug back in and it will turn on. Purchased on 24 November 2013. Problem started about July 2014 and called on 26 December 2014 and Magnavox said they would not do anything. Very bad company.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

When I power on my TV, the red light goes out. I have to power down the set and wait maybe 10 minutes to try again. Often it takes 5-10 tries. It cost more to repair than to replace. Why doesn't the BBB step in and force Magnavox to be accountable?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I contacted the store in which it was purchased - Target - but they would not honor the warranty and referred me to Magnavox directly. Magnavox tried very briefly to offer help, but then transferred me to service, which informed me of the repair charges. These charges would have exceeded the cost of replacement with a brand new unit made by a more reliable manufacturer. I've informed Target that I will no longer be a customer, and will beg everyone to steer clear of Magnavox products. This TV was by far the worst I've ever wasted my hard earned money on.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

Purchased this Magnavox TV with built in DVD player from Sam's Club in April 2012. After 14 months it took 70 times with the remote or buttons to get the TV to come on. Customer service would not help me. Had I known that my SAM's card extended the warranty by another year I would have been adamant that they repair it. Still have the tv and still 70 times or more to get it on.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

Yesterday I experienced a power surge, followed by a power outage in my area. My power was out for 5+ hrs... and when it came back, only half my house was lit. I had to reset half of the breakers in my home due to the surge and subsequent outage. This morning I went to turn on my TV and nothing. Even the standby light wasn't on. I checked my outlet with other devices and the outlet was working fine. I decided to call the customer service number in my TV info manual I had saved after we purchased it.

Spoke to a woman who was eager to help until she heard the TV was purchased in 2011... She then abruptly told me that they would offer NO tech support or troubleshooting because I was no longer under warranty. NOTHING! And all they would do was refer me to the repair center (which I'm sure will cost a small fortune). They wouldn't even attempt to try and diagnose what the problem may be. She basically shut down every avenue for help and told me that was all that could be done. I found out later from online forums it may just be a fuse. So taking it to a local repair man tomorrow. Definitely not their shop... no need to. I'm

Not under warranty anymore, like the lady said. I will NEVER buy another piece of Magnavox electronics for as long as I live. Seriously peeved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magnavox?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

Bought 4 32-inch Magnavox TV only 2 work right out of box, didn't open the other 2 till few months later, neither of them work. One won't come on and the other won't go out of stand by mode. The store I bought them from won't take them back after 90 days and Magnavox won't do crap!!! Do not ever buy a Magnavox brand even if they are practically giving them away, they are defective!!! As many complaints as are on here and it's mostly the same problem, looks like Magnavox would have to stand behind their product. I am one unhappy customer.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

Purchased a 32 inch from Sam's Club less than 2 years ago. The TV just stop working. I have not called customer service because based on the comments I have read, it will be a waste of time. I will never buy anything made by Magnavox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2014

My sister and brother-in-law purchased a 40" Magnavox TV for me for Christmas 2013. I've had the TV for about 11 months. The power won't come on. I was told to call a local TV repair person and have them come over. It has been about 3 weeks now and it is beginning to look like my TV is not going to get fixed. I've had other brands of televisions that have lasted over 10 years. I can't afford to buy anything - that is why my relatives bought the TV for me. I thought that having the brand "Magnavox" meant quality, etc. Obviously not. If they don't take care of my set - will not EVER purchase anything from them.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

I bought my son the 32in LCD TV for Christmas. In Sept. we turned on the TV none of the buttons worked and the sound was stuck on 100. I called Magnavox a month later. I received a refurbished TV with no volume. Customer service will not give me any other option except to talk to supervisor John ** outside of the USA in the Philippines,. 1-866-341-3738. He will not return my calls or emails. The TV is sitting in the box it was shipped in waiting for a reply. I WILL NEVER BUY MAGNAVOX AGAIN. Also purchased 3 year warranty protect plan from Target that is no longer any good because it is not the original TV.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

So recently my Magnavox HDTV began acting up. When turning it on the power button will begin flashing for several minutes then go into standby mode or turn completely off but will not power up. From reading other posts this seems to be problematic. Magnavox has lost a customer, I will never buy or recommend their products again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

I bought 2 Magnavox TVs with the same model numbers a little over 2 years ago. Last week one of them went out, no power and this week the other goes out. Hmm I have 2 other TVs which were bought at same time that continue to work. They of course are not Magnavox. I called in and that was like as helpful as NOTHING. I am sure not happy with Magnavox right now and from reading other posts there are a lot more like me with the same issue!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2014

Bought a 37" tv/dvd combo off of qvc, less than a year later, got a horizontal line across the screen. Funai corp who made the tv said I could still have to pay up to 150$ for parts even when its not even out of warranty. Now another year later, I have another line going through the screen. Guess what, I took a chance on buying this tv thinking maybe they had improved. I know now I will never buy this brand or anything made by the company that makes them (funai corp.)

Original review: Sept. 7, 2014

I purchased two Magnavox TV's as Christmas presents for my children because I once had a Magnavox TV that lasted for 20 years. Unfortunately, this was NOT the case with the two LCD TVs I bought recently. After little use over the course of about 13 months, the first TV stopped powering on. We tried using the remote and the power button on the TV, but with no success. The same thing happened to the second TV just two months later. Of course, these issues didn't occur until the TVs were both out of their warranty period. Now I have two useless TVs and two very unhappy children. No more Magnavox televisions for me.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2014

I've read some of the review here and they have helped but I can't find my issue exactly which doesn't happen all the time. The TV will be 2.5yrs old in November. When I change the channel or use the guide, choose a channel, the TV cuts out but it still have sound. In order to fix this, I have to turn the TV off/on and then the picture comes back. The only thing I haven't done is reset settings to factory. Has anyone had this happen? Thanks!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

I bought this TV/DVD combo for 4 years form Target and the DVD never worked. Last week, the TV stopped working. The screen is black with a green light & chirping sound coming from it. I have to unplug it to get it to stop. I am not a technical person, but I thought the picture tube went which I felt was odd. However, I see this is a common problem and I am very upset. I always thought Magnavox was a great brand and stuck by it. But, not anymore. Magnavox must fix this problem!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

I bought a 39" LCD TV from them early last year for my bedroom. There's been no issues; I use it almost every day for my Xbox. It was on sale for $300 and I think it was worth the money. The picture/sound quality is better than my 50" Samsung LED TV that I have in my living room.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

39" LED flat screen 1080 pix - I got this TV three months ago. The thing looks to be in perfect condition but, for some reason, it keep shutting off. Every time you cut on the TV, about five seconds later, the TV makes a slight pop noise and shuts off????!!!!! WTF - why me? I have a no name brand that's been going strong for four years now. Why didn't this Magnavox last? Needless to say, I now have to deal with the replacement and warranty and blah, blah, blah. Got to love technology. :(

Original review: Feb. 21, 2014

I have had my Magnavox 39" LCD TV one month over a year and now right when the manufacturer's warranty expires, it won't even turn on. I thought TVs lasted longer than a year typically?! I have a crappy 80's box TV that still works. If I have to spend a bunch of money to replace a part or power supply I will never buy a Magnavox again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2014

I purchased a Magnavox 47" LCD TV about 5 years ago. The TV is on almost every day, all day and left on many nights. It is still perfect like the day I bought it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2014

I purchased a Magnavox LCD 32 inch at Sam's. After 14 months all I see are colored lines. I tried to unplug, checked the connections and still no change. I called the support line and was informed that my warranty had expired. They offered to check for a television repairman in my area and I declined. I am almost sure that it is better to buy a brand new set NOT MAGNAVOX than call a repairman.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2013

In early September, I bought a Magnavox TV from Sam's Club. I went with them because they have always been a reputable company. I could have easily saved myself $50 and gone with a no-name brand. About a month after having the TV, I noticed that a dark shadowy area was developing on the right side. I waited a couple of weeks to see if it would go away, tried cleaning the screen, unplugged the set for a few hours, etc to resolve the issue. It only got worse. I called Magnavox and on their automated message, it says to contact them via the web for a faster response. I did that. They sent me an email the next day saying to call their service center for diagnosis. I called their service center that day. They said I needed to contact a local repair place for diagnosis and gave me the number of the closest authorized repair center. I tried calling that place for 4 days, never getting anyone to answer the phone or even voicemail to pick up so I could leave a message. I then called the service center back to get the number for a different repair place.

I called that place and the owner told me I needed a claim number. Magnavox never said anything about a claim number in the previous three communications with them. I called them back to get a claim number. They then told me that they would send me a box to pack up the TV and send back to them. They would exchange it for a different one. This would take 4 weeks. I only have one TV and didn't want to wait 4 weeks, so I asked if I could get the claim number to take somewhere locally to get fixed quicker. They gave me the claim number and I took it to H&H Electronics in St. Louis Park, MN. This was nearly 3 weeks ago. I have been calling H&H and leaving messages for them for a week now asking for a status update on my TV. They won't return my calls and I can never get a hold of the owner, only his mother.

I called Magnavox today trying to find out what other options I had to get my TV repaired and returned quickly to me. They wanted me to send it back to them, but now it was going to cost me $70 because the warranty expired. The warranty expired because their authorized return center is sitting on my TV for three weeks! After asking to speak to a supervisor, they would waive the $70 cost but it still will take 4 weeks for me to get it returned. BTW, Sam's Club will also do nothing to help me with this issue. So here I sit for two months without a TV because Magnavox will not expedite repairs on their defective products.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

We purchased this TV brand new in 2006. It is now 2013. It did not even last 10 years. I contacted a service Rep. He said the tube is going out and so is the convergent. To go spend more money to buy a new one. I will never buy another Magnavox. I am sure some of you think a TV lasting 6 years is OK. Well we need to not be filling our landfills with disposable products.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2013

Same here... almost. For me, it was 10 months, and my TV went completely dead out of the blue. They wanted $70 plus shipping. Shouldn't they cover for at least a year? Replaced it with a Samsung and will NEVER buy anything Magnavox ever again!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2013

Bought this 22" tv/dvd combo online. It worked for 2 min then would not turn back on. Magnavox is a junk!!!!!

Original review: July 26, 2013

For a graduation present, my wife let me buy a flat screen TV. To be fair I was a Magnavox guy. I had a 19 inch I got for my 17th birthday that still worked and I am 36. I had a 61 inch Magnavox in my basement from the early 90's that still worked in my basement. So I was pretty set on buying Magnavox. I bought a 50 inch LCD the Tuesday after mother's day 2012. It worked great. Until a week before Super Bowl 2013. I called the customer service number and got a friendly lady. She told me it sounds like it needs to be serviced. I bit my tongue. After about a half hour she said it was covered and that she would have a box sent to my house to send the TV to them to fix.

A month later I called again and they told me that she had entered something into the system wrong and they would send the box out right away. Several calls later, I realized I wasn't getting my TV fixed. I tried one more time and the gentleman on the phone told me there was nothing that could be done since my year was up. I told him the year is up now but the last 5 times I had called it hadn't been. He offered to help me locate a repair shop close to me. I politely told him that I would not take a product I owned to any repair shop they suggested. Needless to say I will never buy another Magnavox product. Not only TV but anything that has Magnavox on it will not be welcome in my house. If there is a class action suit I would love to be part of it.

Original review: June 29, 2013

50MF412B/F7 LCD TV - I wish I had read all the reviews prior to purchasing this product. I purchased this TV on Feb. 28, 2013 and about 3 weeks ago, the power started shutting off and on by itself and may not come back on for hours or days. When I called Customer Support, I was told that I was out of my 90-day warranty which covers parts and labor but I was still in the year warranty which basically covers only making an appointment for someone to come and look at it but I would have to pay for everything else. So, basically, it's no warranty at all and clearly it's a malfunction that should be covered no matter how long I have had this piece of **. I am extremely disappointed and will NEVER purchase a Magnavox product again. I wish the review had a pissed off' rating because I am far from angry. Stop stealing people's money, Magnavox.

Original review: June 22, 2013

I purchased a new (?) DVR from Wal-mart. When it did not work, I called Magnavox support. I was told I purchased the unit in February. It had the same serial number, but wrong name and address. I told the associate that I purchased it on June 16. How did the wrong number, the same serial number, show up in their records? Her response was, "So what, it's still covered under warranty." I was told I can send the unit back to them, and they'll have a new unit out to me in 3 to 4 weeks. I’m still waiting for the email to print the return label. I will take the merchandise back to Wal-mart for a refund. No more Magnavox. Order number **, Carlinda with badge number **.

Original review: June 11, 2013

Bad quality 32" Mag LCD TV, after 8 months, isn't working anymore and customer service of the company Sucks. Plus I have to pay them to fix their own products that it still in the warranty! They won't send you a new TV; it's a Refurbished with no warranties. If it gets broken again, they fix for free! Ridiculous!

Original review: June 5, 2013

I bought a new Magnavox 22" TV. Right away there was a problem with the sound - it went off occasionally and only came back on after the TV was turned off and then on. The sound goes off when changing channels, when pausing or even when nothing is being touched. Magnavox told me that I could send it back and after processing they'd send me a refurbished one, that the process would take 2-3 months, and that I'd be without a TV for around 3 weeks. Is that a warranty for a new TV?

Original review: May 27, 2013

We just bought this TV less than one year ago and probably used it 10 times. I tried to turn it on and it will not come on, however, this is obviously a major problem. Shame on you, Magnavox. You are stealing from hard working people. Hope you sleep well.

Magnavox TV Company Information