1.86/5
Based on 148 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

368 Magnavox TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I bought my TV April 2012 and within 5 months of purchase, it turned off out of the blue and did not turn back on. Luckily, I did purchase a two-year warranty with Sam's and I was able to send it back and get it fixed. Well not four years later, it did the exact same thing, it just turned off. It's too late now to send back to fix and I refuse to spend any more money on this brand. If you are thinking about buying a new TV stay away from Magnavox! Invest your money on a more durable and dependable brand.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

Bought 46 inch flat screen from target. Got in March 2015 and worked until December 22, 2015. It would turn on and immediately turned off. Took to authorized repair for Magnavox and they still have it (1/27/16). They have been very nice. Got a case #. Received a call today and they want to send me a box for me to load up the tv and send it back to them. When received they will send me a refurbished tv. I told them I bought a new tv and I want a new tv not a used one. Magnavox is a joke. I really wish we could get together for a class action suit. I know I'll never get a new tv from them. Please people DO NOT buy a Magnavox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

Clear picture and colors are vibrant. Easy to use and the sound quality is wonderful. It's the only TVs we have in all 3 rooms. They outlast other brands we've tried.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

The site was not working properly when purchased, had a yellow line up the center of the set. Called Magnavox, they sent me a box to send the set back to some T.V. repair in N.J., and they are sending me a REFURBISHED set in 10 to 20 days. My warranty goes from the day that I originally bought the NEW set. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER T.V. WITH THE NAME MAGNAVOX ON IT.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

My TV is a 50" Magnavox LED smart tv that I have had for 1 year now. It has a very clear picture and the colors are also very pleasing. Navigating through the menu can be a bit challenging, you need to have patience when we are not of the technology generation and this can be overwhelming. But this is the case with all appliances today. I have my tv sitting on top of my 52" wide electric fireplace which is a perfect fit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magnavox?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I own an LG tv that provided me with excellent picture quality and reliability. Recently bought two Samsung smart tv. Picture best I have ever seen. Technology associated with the new smart tv is state of the art. No need for separate streaming devices. Can search the web with both Samsung tv. Great value.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I've owned 3 Magnavox TVs of different size and configuration (ie) the older bulky 21", larger 36" light/flat screen and a larger 40" flat screen. They have all performed well and the older one lasted about 12 yrs. They don't have all the fancy 'do-dads' that you don't use anyway and are very price competitive because of it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

At one time I had owned a Magnavox Television from 1992 until 2012. It was perfectly good working conditions for the entire duration of ownership. I have made another purchase of Magnavox brand televisions, which is the newer model (flat screen), and I simply love it!!! It has a great picture quality and clarity, good sound and excellent performance. Over the years, when shopping for televisions, I always tend to look for Magnavox, I personally think that they hold their value. I would definitely recommend to family and friends this make and model.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Excellent in price, picture, and longevity with issues. Had my last one 15 years before it quit. Daily use approx 8 hours and would recommend the brand. I did purchase a new LG 6 months ago and very happy with it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I'm a basic television guy. I bought it used. Besides having a big scratch on the screen it works good for me. If your life depends on TV you should shop it! But I recommend not owning one at all! The advertisement is designed to separate you from your hard earned money. The news is controlled and misinformation is all around! Read! But use your brain! Get outside, express your creative gifts!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Ok but Charter is world's worst cable TV provider. Picture is awful. An explosion occurs every time you change channels. Menu is crap. The price is much too high for what is provided. I get better TV with a small Winegard antenna from about 60 miles away. HD picture, excellent reception, no charge!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I've got a Magnavox Smart Series TV (which is not an actual smart tv) and I'm satisfied with it. It's not really feature rich compared to newer TV sets, but it has a great picture and good sound, and I've had it for eight years without it breaking down on me. I've never had any trouble hooking it up to cable, DVD player or streaming player - as long as you can hook it up via a/v cables, it's good to go.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

TV Failed at 10 months, warranty evaluation & replacement took about 4 months. Customer service "1-800 #" is in the Philippines. Cultural/Language barrier. Very dissatisfied. Sam's Club refunded $ for all the problems I experienced. Magnavox is NOT what it used to be.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

My floor model Magnavox is approximately 30 years old and has had only one service call early on, to replace a faulty circuit board. As well as serving as a beautiful piece of furniture, it is still functioning beautifully with a crisp picture and sharp audio. I have had many comments as to the crispness of the picture and color attributes.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I like my tv. I don't like the cable system. Every year it goes up and no new channels. I would not recommend Atlantic Broadband to anyone, they are very rude.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I have always been happy with this television. Now with the new compact sizes and shapes they are much more serviceable. The one I still have it big, bulky and cumbersome in size, but it works great. There are good things to be said about the older models.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

DO NOT BUY A MAGNAVOX TV. Our TV was a Christmas present in 2014 from a family member who bought it at Sam's Club. Barely over a year later (five more days till Christmas 2015, folks!), the TV won't turn on anymore. The warranty just barely expired, of course. (Planned obsolescence? Wouldn't be surprised.) When the TV first started failing to turn on, we were able to do the reset by unplugging for 5 minutes and get it to turn on again. However, after this worked a handful of times, the TV wouldn't turn on no matter what troubleshooting we tried. When I called Magnavox and spoke with Customer Service (whom I could barely understand with the strong accent), she said we would need to take it to a repair center and because it was out of warranty, (just a few days over a year old!!) we would have to pay a repair fee of $125 or more depending on the repair needed.

Both repair centers she referred me to that were supposed to be closest to my zip code were a ONE HOUR DRIVE away, and when I called one of them to get more information the number had been disconnected and apparently didn't even exist anymore. The other repair center is only open Monday-Friday from 9 to 5. So those of us working full time during the week have to take off work just to get this thing fixed. When I look at the reviews of the repair shop itself, people experienced terrible customer service and couldn't get anyone to talk to them or call back as promised by them.

I'm also seeing that lots of other people had this same technical issue. So I ask myself is it worth it to take time off work, drive an hour to a sketchy repair shop, then wait weeks for it to get fixed (If it even gets fixed right the first time, as the person leaving the review of the repair shop said the guy didn't even diagnose the problem right in the first place and the reviewer had to go back several times over 3 months), have to drive back again to pick the thing up and hope it's fixed? Nope. We're getting a different brand TV and forever avoiding anything Magnavox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I bought a Magnavox TV, it wasn't even six months old when the picture went out. I called the warranty company and have done everything that they have asked us to do. I sent my TV off supposedly to get a refurbished (which I did not buy) as a replacement in 15-20 days. Sent September 17th, TV was received by them on September 21st. It is October 26th and still no TV back. No one will give me any answers as to where my TV is. I keep getting told the same thing - a supervisor will be notified and I will get an email from them in 24-48 hours. I have been told this the last 2 weeks. I have called and still have no email or answers.

I have tried dealing with Target where I bought the TV and was rudely told they do not make the TV and will have nothing to do with it. I WOULD NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN. THEY HAVE TERRIBLE PRODUCTS AND EVEN WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I would never recommend this company or their products to anyone ever.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I own a 50" DLP television. It has adjustments for the type of sound, quality of picture including all of the common adjustments of today. I purchased this tv from Sam's Club in 2002. It has never failed to deliver.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

It was the first HDTV flat screen I purchased and I think it is great. Should I ever want to connect it to the Internet it is all set to go. Highly satisfied with it.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

I have had good experience with both the Magnavox, Samsung and 2 other models of tv I have. The survey did not allow me to list more than one even though I have 5 working tvs in my home.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

I currently own a 55 inch Magnavox smart TV, that I purchased in January 2015. It has a great picture and sound quality.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2015

It came in the size I needed and it was in my price range. I would certainly purchase the same brand again and would recommend this brand to anyone. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I have two of these and have not had any problems with them. One is 6 years old, the other 5. Will buy the same brand again.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I bought a 40" Magnavox around Christmas 2014. In July 2015 the pic stopped working but it still has sound. As per the warranty, we contacted a local authorized repair shop. It was there from 7/31/15 - 8/14/15. They informed us that since the LCD panel needed replacing, it would have to be shipped back to Magnavox & a replacement would be sent out. I would get a phone call within a few days. That didn't happen so I made the call on 8/20/15. They told me it would take 15-20 business days after they received the TV for another to shipped out.

I asked for a supervisor to see if that could be expedited, to no avail. I also mentioned that I would call Target & see if they could do something faster. Before the call ended, I asked for the 2nd time that the shipping box would be there in 3-5 business days since I was leaving for vacation 9/5/15 & was assured it would be. On 8/29/15 the box still hadn't arrived, vacation was approaching & still no box. I called to see what had happened & was informed that in my file I had declined that service. Now I was furious. It was because I said I was contacting Target, who was of no help.

Since it says calls are recorded, I asked to hear the recording of me declining replacement, but the recordings are for "business" purposes only. So I told them to ship the box out & my house sitter would get it because I was told it had to be signed for. Well 5 days passed & oh yeah, the box was supposed to be expedited so I call again, & was told it could take up to 7 days & I should have not been told it would be expedited. Finally on day 8, my house sitter found the box left at my door in the pouring rain. Labor Day didn't count as a business day & surprise, it didn't need to be signed for.

One rep actually asked if I had to go out of town. Well yeah, our vacation is always paid for a year in advance & why should I pay for the lie that I declined a replacement? So, we get home Saturday 9/12/15 & call up Magnavox to let them know the TV was packed ready to go since you only have 5 days after the box arrives to ship it out. The rep made the scheduled pick up, told me it was for that Monday, with the small window of 8 am - 8 pm. I had no food in the house due to vacation with 3 small kids, so I couldn't leave the house. By 2 pm, I called FedEx & asked if there was a way to narrow the window. Then, surprise, she told me the scheduled pick up was for Tuesday 9/15/15, again from 8 am - 8 pm.

I really had things to do, like pay my mortgage, food shop, etc. but thank God the guy came at noon. So I tracked it & it got there on 9/18/15 within the 5-day limit. I have been calling since 9/19/15 about 2x/week and still do not have a tracking # for my replacement TV. I know today was only day 18 & I still have 2 more days. But again I talked with a supervisor & was told the upper management who handles replacements & them can only communicate by email, but he would put it as a top priority email & should hear something no later than Monday, which would be day 21. He was very upset when I told him that would be breaching the warranty, then told me it would not be their fault, it would be FedEx's fault.

I will call tomorrow & Friday which is day 20 & if I don't have a tracking #, I will definitely seek legal counsel. I told to people with such pretty names as Princess & Lovely, pretty little liars is more like it. I thought I was buying a brand I could trust, so I didn't bother reading the reviews. Now I see the extended warranty will be no good since it will be a different TV. I will never again buy anything that remotely is associated with Magnavox & will not recommend them to anybody. I once learned in business school that a good review might affect 1 customer, but a bad review can affect up to 7-9 people not buying that product.

Their customer service is the worst. I have been lied to at least 3x: (1) declining the service, (2) the box being expedited & (3) the scheduled pick-up time. I have been placed on hold once for 45 minutes and another for over an hour, both times I ended up hanging up which I know is what they wanted. Then I was having it out with a supervisor Rudy & he put me on hold. It reached 11 or 11:30 pm (whichever is the closing time) & was automatically hung up on. So I guess I shouldn't be upset with Magnavox since it's all FedEx's fault anyway right?? I DO NOT recommend MAGNASUX to anyone. Save your hard-earned $$$.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

My TV is at least 20 years old and I have never had a day's problem with it. Don't know the model but it has the picture tube, I guess on the back. It's huge, but I think the picture is better than on the newer models.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Owned for 1 week to the day, blown capacitors in power supply. Blinking red power light. Unplugged it for a couple hours, turned on again. Checked it several times after, girlfriend watched it all day the next day and after turning it off the power light started blinking again. Knew right away it wasn't going to turn back on. I'm tempted to try and put better caps in it myself. But I will try the service center first. Pretty pissed. Really disappointing. Wouldn't buy a Magnavox again with a gun to my head. Honestly a TV that lasts 7 days is a joke. Just long enough for me to throw the box and receipt away. Class action lawsuit sounds legit after seeing so many problems of the same nature.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I'm very upset. I bought my TV in November of 2013 and it stopped working. The red standby light is on, but it will not turn on. I sent an inquiry to Magnavox before typing this review but from what I've read so far, I don't think I'll have much luck. I'm wondering if anyone has actually had their TVs repaired and could possibly lend a hand as to what is really wrong. I'd hate to send it out for much bucks when it might be something I can fix myself. Keeping my fingers crossed that Magnavox actually comes through.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

Extremely satisfied with the Magnavox brand HDTV I purchased this past year. It has performed great and is internet-compatible. Great product from a well-known manufacturer.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

I have a 32-inch flat Magnavox TV that I love. It's the perfect size for my TV stand and is not heavy at all. I can move it easily, it swivels and can be turned a different way without moving the whole TV. It's features are simple and easy to use. The colors and clarity are great even though it's only hooked to local HD antenna TV. I've had this TV for two years and it still performs like new. I would definitely recommend to others and will buy another when this one wears out.

Magnavox TV Company Information