2.36/5
Based on 64 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

104 JVC TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Our JVC TV was probably the best television we've ever purchased. It lasted many, many years and we'd not hesitate to purchase another.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

We replaced a broken Magnavox with a new JVC television of the same 42" size for economic reasons (it was on sale). The JVC has as good a picture but the sound quality has us trying different equalizer settings constantly. To be fair, it can be difficult to tell whether the audio engineer on a movie or TV program should not be in the business at all or that the TV just has 1) bad speakers, 2) bad audio card in general, or 3) both of the former. And the combination of bad unenforced FCC guidelines for TV sound and commercials that can blow one out of the room without muting them entirely having the audio "headroom" or amount of good, listenable audio smashed up against a tech ceiling that distorts the sound badly further clouds this issue.

After some serious note-taking, it became obvious that most audio engineering in the business both television and cinematic has been relegated to a cheap, idiot brother-in-law rather than someone that has actually passed a hearing test and can at least read a spectrum analyzer. The television itself is also not without some of the blame. When watching a music program, we find it prudent to mute the third-rate audio provisions in the TV and run the audio through the Cerwin Vega stereo house system. Television manufactures in general do not give due consideration to the sound, just the picture. But the truly terrible deaf-eggs that make up the bulk of those in the industry doing most of the audio mixes need to go away.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

Our JVC is over 10 years old and works great. It has a 35" screen. It is heavy so we don't move it much. When it no longer works, we will replace it with a flat screen HDTV.

Original review: July 28, 2015

JVC used to be a good brand in analog TVs. We have one almost 20 yrs old still working. This LCD TV just stopped working. This is a bedroom TV 32-inch which probably has less than a month's actual viewing time on it. We just do not use it that often. These TV are not worth fixing unless under warranty even if you could get someone to work on them. I think we will stick to Samsung from now on.

Original review: June 21, 2015

We have had our smart tv for a year and we have had this issue since the beginning. Regardless of what we are watching we encounter the same issue. The speaking volume will be fine then when any other sound comes on it gets extremely loud. It is very frustrating having to hold the remote in our hands and adjust the volume every few seconds.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JVC?

Original review: May 31, 2015

In August 2014, I purchased a 42 inch JVC television and it went blank in February 2015. I was advised to Innovation Group as it was under warranty, they sent their technicians to pick the TV in March and was sent to Ital Video cc for repairs. After 6 weeks, I was told that there is no spare in the country for this Tv and they are waiting for the power supply from overseas. I call Innovation Group end of May, I was told the Tv is lying at one of their centers as it is not repairable. It was only send back to me on 29 May with instruction that I must take back the TV to the store for replacement. Public, beware! There is serious problem with this product. Once broken, no one wants to carry responsibility. There is no support services, no spares for it. My repair job no. **.

Original review: May 1, 2015

Remote control/TV does what it wants. Everything about the functions is designed to cause the utmost annoyance. I will never purchase such a ill conceived appliance again.

Original review: March 16, 2015

I purchased the tv last week and a week later I'm still staring at pink dashes on the bottom half of my screen. The retail store I bought it from says I have to go through the warranty. It's 10 days later and I'm still waiting for a tech to fix it.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I purchased a JVC 37 inch TV from HSN in April 2012 for my husband. We had no problem with it until we was watching it in February of 2014 and the screen went blank but the sound was still working. We thought it was a bulb so we contacted HSN and was referred to JVC. They were not helpful at all and could not find the product in their system. We took it to a local shop and was informed that it was the main board. We purchased that part and then was told that is not the problem. We were told that the display panel in is not working and it will cost $1200 to repair. That is double what I paid for it. I have never had a TV that stopped working after such a short period of time. I have emailed JVC and I am waiting to hear from them. I believe that the TV is defective.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

I have had this 2005 jvc hd projector screen for a while. Recently it broke and I'm stumped. I have taken out the lamp ballast and it's brand new. I have no idea where the fuses are. I'd hate to get rid of this tv but I still can't get it to work. Anyone know of the locations of the fuses, lemme know. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

For starters, I purchased this set in 2005... It is now nearly 2014. I have been totally happy with MY set... I have replaced the lamp 3 times at no more than $50 a pop, online... It has always had the most beautiful color.... 6 mos. ago my sound went out so I got a sound system... I feel so sorry for those who had such problems. Just saying not all JVC's are bad... PS... I use this set nearly 12 hrs a day... every day, so I don't think 3 lamps in 9 yrs is all that bad!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

We got our tv and ever since from beginning, if the power goes out, the tv won't turn back on until the next day. I tried unplugging and waiting and using the tv power button but nothing. I will never get another JVC tv again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

I have a JVC loader version lLT-32de9bj model TV. I am unable to record a full program. Set it to record, it does so for perhaps half an hour and that's your lot. I have spent 100 of pounds trying to have it fixed but none of the TV experts have succeeded. Some say it's the hard drive, other say there is a modification. Anyone offer any help?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

Purchased a JVC 24 inch led TV 2 years ago for the kitchen and have been more than happy with it. Recently bought a Toshiba 24 inch led TV for the guest bedroom but not a patch on the JVC, so I got my money back and paid another tenner for a second JVC TV. Fantastic picture quality on the JVC (as was the Toshiba), but where the JVC scores is in the sound quality (the sound of the Toshiba was awful and suffered from a continuous buzzing sound at low volume levels). Would recommend JVC TVs.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

I bought a 39" JVC TV at Costco which boldly advertised that it came with a Roku Streaming Stick installed. The Roku stick was wonky right away and soon did not work at all. The technician was not given a Roku stick, only a main board, which when replaced made it clear that it was the Roku stick (cable and DVD still worked). I went and bought a Roku Stick myself so I wouldn't have to start the process all over (JVC is very slow to return phone calls so it took over a week to even set up an appointment) and now they will not reimburse me for the Roku Stick, which they should have given the technician to bring. I have spent HOURS dealing with this. I would not buy from JVC again.

Original review: June 21, 2014

Purchase JVC TV at Sam's on 9/23/12. It stop working on 12/7/13. They pick up and had it for 4 weeks and return it and it stop working on 5/19 /4 again. They still have it. It is 6/21/14 and have not call to tell us what they are going to do. I am out two months at $80.00 and still no TV.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

Purchased television 2006, light bulb works for about 2 years and felt the same as everyone else. Replace bulb and it lasted about 3 months and I put the television the way up until recently not at the balls are affordable and tried again and with the same result, cloudy and barely able to see picture. Not worth the trouble. Shame on you JVC.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2013

I called customer service to get some help. I advised them that the color blue is out. What shall I do? The representative asked me the part number before he could help me. I told him I don't know. I was told by a repairman that the blue bloc was going and needs to be replaced. According to the technician, it would cost $1300.00 (thirteen hundred dollars) to repair. I wanted the representative to give me the price of the item. He directed me to a JVC technician near me in San Antonio, TX. I think a big ticket item should be honored by the manufacture. I know some parts have to be replaced, but I think the electronic part that control the colors, which is three separate part, the company should replace and I pay the labor. The part that need to be replace, in my opinion is defective. The TV is a JVC HD/ila, model number is hd-56g787. I don't have a picture. What shall I do. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2013

Light engine died after only 7 years. Poor quality, ** support. Don’t deal with these weasels.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2013

These are the worst. The remote control works sometimes and because of that, we cannot operate the input buttons when my husband mistakenly hits the wrong buttons on the TV itself. (My husband thought he hit the power button, but hit the channel button instead. Now, it won't work at all.) I've never seen anything like it before. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2012

JVC post-service is so bad! I sent them the Marshmallow Remote + Mic headphones (HA-FR36) on the same day that I bought it. After they claimed that there was no problem found in the first few weeks, they called me that they found the interference problem when sending and receiving WhatsApp message and emails. However, they said they can't do anything and not going to refund! So what's the aim to set up the warranty? Never buy JVC products! Otherwise, you'll gonna suffer.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2012

We purchased our 52 HD ILA TV back in 2005. At the time, it seemed like the best picture and option. We loved the TV and still do. I stumbled on this site after we just got a little spot on the screen and was trying to figure it out. After reading all of the bulb complaints, I hate to say this but it is the operator's fault and not JVC. In almost 8 years now, we have only replaced the bulb 2 times, with the latest about 2 months ago. It only costs about $90, about 2 minutes to put it in.

It clearly states in the manual that if you turn your TV off, you cannot immediately turn it back on or it will damage the bulb. You have to wait - I think it is 5 minutes. So if the power goes out or you turned it off and changed your mind, just wait a few minutes and you won't have any troubles. It's not really fair to blame JVC for premature bulb failure. When you replace it, you also cannot touch the bulb with your fingers; it will quickly ruin it. Same as with a halogen bulb. So if you keep having issues, take note of these 2 things and you should not have more problems.

Original review: July 19, 2012

Do not buy a JVC Procision projector! I am a home builder and I have professionals install media rooms for my houses. We purchased two JVC DLA-X7 for the media rooms and both of them are defective. JVC has horrible customer support. You either are holding on the phone for 45 minutes or you are listening to people’s voice mails. We paid an average of $6,000.00 per unit!

Original review: June 21, 2012

Lamp on a 61" DLP TV - It seems that everyone that has a JVC TV has had this recurring problem. I have had to replace the $250.00 lamp every year I've had the set. This year, I replaced it with a 65" LED 3D TV and by the way, it isn't a JVC. Sorry JVC, but your products just don't cut it anymore. I suggest anyone thinking of buying any JVC product to not buy JVC unless you want to be $100.00 to death. Their products are very unreliable and don't last long without expensive repairs.

Original review: April 4, 2012

I had to replace the lamp kit for the 4th time since 2006, and the pictures keep getting darker and darker. There's no way to adjust it myself; the only option is to have it repaired, which is never going to happen! I don't repair TVs. What a joke to even think people would. Nor will I ever purchase another JVC. I purchased a cheap TV (less then $200.00) 20+ years ago (Symphonic) which I have never had a problem with. The worst thing that has ever happened to this TV was I have to dust it off once a week. Hello JVC, get where I'm coming from yet!

My advice to anyone, never buy a TV for which you have to replace a lamp kit, bulb, etc. It's a never-ending task, and you'll end up having major repairs. Sad part is that JVC is aware of this problem and does nothing about it. Shame on you JVC! Why would I want an attorney to contact me about my complaint? What are they going to tell me? Should have checked out the TV before you bought it! I don't even want JVC to contact me. I'm finished with them!

Original review: March 21, 2012

I, too, have owned my 52-inch JVC LCD TV for about 3 years. I have changed the bulb 3 times and I am waiting on the fourth (as a replacement). The third one is only 3 months old. With the current price of flat screen TVs, it does not pay to attempt to fix or buy any more bulbs. I would not buy or recommend JVC products in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2012

Again, like I am finding out, I replaced bulb for the 3rd time since 2006. Not too bad. Three days later, the light engine went out. Over $900.00 to fix. Then I found out the parts can't be purchased anymore. I paid over $2000.00 in December 6. That's $500.00 per year. JVC will do nothing. I purchased a new Samsung.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2011

Please do not buy JVC TVs because the projection bulb will continue to burn out and cost you hundreds of dollars to repair.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2011

I have a Model # HD-56G47 JVC TV. The $150.00 to $200.00 dollar bulb keeps going out. Had I known this, I would have never bought it!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2011

I purchased the JVC HD-61FN97 in 2006. I had my third lamp go out on me two weeks ago and ordered a new one. I got it in 2 days and installed it, but then I had a purple tint on the center of the screen and it took up 2/3 of the screen. So I returned that lamp thinking it was defective and ordered a new one of higher quality. I got it and installed it and the same thing again. So I did some research and found it might be the light engine. I wrote to JVC and they gave me a local certified repair center to call. I called and they said, “Yeah, it sounds like the light engine.” So I decided to get a second opinion and had the same answer ($1,000).

When I wrote an email to JVC for a second time, I told them that it I could not believe it would cost as much as it would to buy a TV for a competitor. I told them I can't afford that kind of repair and this seems to be a common problem with these sets. I also stated that it seems they are using this as a strategy for consumers to spend their had-earned money. If I pay near $3,000, I expect the product that carries their name to last more than 5 years. I know they are a multi-billion dollar company and I am only one consumer, but I feel like they stole my hard-earned money. Other companies would more than likely step up and at least make an effort to make things right.

JVC TVs Company Information