4.71/5

Looking for drug or alcohol rehabilitation services?

Sober College

Sober College is a cutting edge addiction treatment center for young adults ages 18-26 in Los Angeles, CA. Our program excels in helping young adults overcome addiction and learn how to live happy, healthy and successful sober lives.

Specializing in dual diagnosis and co-occurring disorders, Sober College utilizes a comprehensive whole person approach to drug rehabilitation. Focusing on 5 “core competencies” in recovery that include sobriety, clinical therapy, education, life skills and fitness, Sober College maintains a very unique approach to young adult rehab that addresses all of the mental, emotional, physical and social dimensions that are so critical in developing long term recovery for young adults.

Surrounded by their young adult peer group in one of the most vibrant young adult recovery communities anywhere in the U.S., Sober College includes a state-of-the-art creative arts, film and music department led by Grammy-nominated musician Mikey Martin where clients can write, produce and direct short action films or record their own music in a fully functional professional recording studio with live room, sound isolation booths, and multi-track recording.

Sober College is designed to help teach young adults how to get sober and transition through the educational process, earning college credits or high school equivalency while in treatment. Our partnership with WSCUC accredited Woodbury University provides Sober College clients the opportunity to earn up to 15 transferable college credits.

Our experiential therapy program includes equine, trapeze, rock climbing, surfing and yoga therapies designed to teach young adults healthy coping mechanisms and how to manage their emotions in healthy, productive ways.

While individual results can vary, Sober College's life skills emphasis is designed to teach self-sufficiency and independence and provide our young adults with the toolbox and skills necessary to get sober, and most importantly, stay sober over the long term.

View More View More

Looking for drug or alcohol rehabilitation services?

Sober College Reviews

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

We gave our son a choice between a couple of rehabilitation programs and he preferred Sober College. Their care staff was very good and attentive to our son's needs and the counselors were great but we had some issues with the financial people. In combination with the other program that he went to, this made a tremendous difference to him and changed his life. People just have to be realistic about their expectations. Some patients were motivated, some were not and some were just putting in their time. And that's going to be that way at any program. There's going to be some negative and some bumps along the way.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I would highly recommend Sober College both to kids looking to escape addiction and to their parents hoping for the same. Our experience with Sober College has been excellent. In a very difficult time - mixed with feelings of anxiety, anger, concern, sadness, and many others - I found the people at Sober College to be helpful, understanding, and caring. We have found the program to be a wonderful fit for our son. I like that they encourage their residents to do things and experience life to show that there is a path without drugs or alcohol. I believe that has been very valuable to our son. During our visits to Sober College, we have felt very welcome. I found the environment to be supportive, understanding, and enthusiastic. I felt that the staff really took to heart the interests and needs of my son.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

We were given the name of Sober College by someone who didn't have direct experience at SC but had heard good things about it through a colleague. The plan was for my daughter to begin attending after the new year. I was unaware just how bad things were. My daughter had a long history of struggles. Eating disorders, anxiety, depression, multiple suicide attempts, and college binge drinking. It was mid-December and I was just learning that things had now progressed to ** addiction. As Christmas approached, a crisis revealed the severity of my daughter's addiction and SC staff had things set up for her to enter as soon as she could arrive. Flights arrangements were made and staff was waiting for her arrival at LAX airport.

The staff at SC was my daughter's saving grace. It was not an easy road on anyone's part. Addiction never is. However, due to fluid communication and commitment to my daughter's care, the road was as manageable as possible. I took part in weekly phone conferences with her case manager. I was included on plans for her care and I took part in a weekend workshop onsite which was unforgettable. Not only did I learn about addiction, but my daughter and I had intense, amazing group sessions with other families which helped in our learning how to heal and move forward.

After about 9 months at SC and 2 months at a subsequent sober living facility, my daughter had a brief (2 week) relapse. She has been clean and sober ever since... over 3 1/2 years. She is the person I always knew she was meant to be and even more. Both she and I believe, without a doubt, Sober College made that possible.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

Sober College and staff has been a lifeline of caring support for our son over the past year and a half. Was a miracle and tremendous blessing that we found SC in time. Sober College truly saves young lives and we are extremely grateful. Thank you to the entire staff of SC.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

The SC team saved our son's life. The way support was tailored to his needs using a wide range of skills and people was just perfect. Each team member cared, developed an ongoing relationship and never gave up. We are thankful beyond words. Also really appreciated the expert handling of insurance stuff. SC team is off the chart good!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sober College?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

There is no greater gift than that of seeing your child overcome their addiction. This is the gift Sober College gave to us and to many of the young people my son met at this extraordinary place. He was able to glimpse and then live a life of sobriety that was filled with fun and fellowship, education and socialization. In short the amazing staff and administration of Sober College saved my son's life.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

We came to Sober College terrified for our son and close to despair. Nobody is ever "cured" of SUD but Sober College has given him the tools to stay healthy and have a meaningful and happy life. Since coming to Sober College he has gotten his GED and started college, held down a job for more than nine months, and regained some of his confidence and sense of self-determination. It is a uniquely joyful and caring environment and my son plans to remain of the SC community as a healthy and happy alumnus. I can't recommend the program highly enough. I only wish all struggling transitional aged youth could have access to this program.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

My daughter's been to several rehabilitation centers and this is the first time that she did not want to leave. She told me she wasn’t ready to come home and she would then feel that she was strong enough. I was really pleased to hear that and never thought I’d see the day at that. It allowed my husband and I to move forward and work on our relationship for a change. We were always on pins and needles and waiting for a call. It allows us to decide what we want to do now that our daughter’s all grown up and finally moving into a house and moving into her own place.

The staff at Sober College always hugs each other and the parents. They made it very pleasing as far as you feeling more like a part of a family than a client. They made sure that there were plenty of pictures of my daughter. It may not mean anything to anybody, but the pictures of her smiling and doing activities that made her just have a natural blush was really great to see. I give Sober College kudos for that. It was nice seeing my daughter jump out of a plane and look excited about it. Seeing that the kids were being productive is a big thing. A lot of it was based on that Sober College is more structured like a school. It's not just about schooling, but more into other activities.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Sober College has saved my son's life and given him the community, connections, and tools to not only survive, but thrive. Cannot say enough good about this wonderful program and the caring people.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Excellent program, caring staff and therapists, quality standards. Our son completed 11 months here in 2 separate sessions. He had a relapse in between (3 months, back on **) and the staff worked with us to get him back in the program. He just celebrated 1 year sober and is fully committed to his 12 step program. He is working at a treatment center and is sponsoring guys in AA. He stays in touch with the team at Sober College and is grateful for their role in his recovery. The staff and directors really cared about our son and I can't thank them enough for their determination in helping him find his way out of addiction. I have never felt so positive and encouraged about his future.

Sober College Company Information