1.15/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 24, 2017

230 Quest Diagnostics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

No matter how you pay, at the doctor, with insurance, without, with credit card. One thing is for sure, Quest Diagnostics WILL send you a bill, regardless if you have paid for it, insurance covered it - it does not matter. These greedy PIGS will always send you a bill for either the same amount or more, something ridiculous like $149 for an A1C test and claim it’s YOUR responsibility of the bill. Even though your insurance already paid $100 for this $25 test. GREEDY PIGS. Then, they will send you to collection and chase you until the end of time.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I am here for some critical tests. Apparently I owed them $33 a year ago. I never got a bill and I was living at my mother's house at the time period. I called her up to ask her if she received a bill and she confirmed that we never did. They sent this $33 to collections and it will go against my credit. This mystery bill will hinder my chances of getting houses, cars, other things in the future. They also denied my treatment and testing because of this. They forced me to pay this $33 to get these critical tests on which dampers my chances of negotiating anything being taken off of my credit.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

This company has no desire whatsoever to provide a good experience for the customer. It's a very long wait to actually speak with a person in customer service and practically impossible to get through to a local location. When I arrived, I asked the receptionist if she could verify that they received the blood work order fax from my doctor's office. She said I would have to wait until she checked me in. I politely pointed out that by then it would be too late to ask the doctor's office to fax it again. She still said I would have to wait. She was not busy at the time, and the fax machine was right behind her! Just plain lazy, and rude to top it off. It was as if she took pleasure in being difficult.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Due to a rare genetic condition, both my son and I require frequent, almost weekly, blood and/or urinary tests and monitoring. When given a choice by the ordering physician, I always have the blood drawn (or urinalysis) at LabCorp. (I am NOT associated with LabCorp in in ANYWAY) If I may elaborate further. Quest has the audacity to charge customers $10 to access reports online through the patient portal. This is absolutely ludicrous. LabCorp provides anywhere, anytime, secure access to results on my mobile or desktop in easy to understand visualizations that virtually anyone should be able to understand. More importantly, this service is of no additional charge to their customers.

I've also noticed a significant deterioration in the quality of customer services (i.e., professionalism, timeliness, friendliness) at Quest facilities in the Alpharetta and Johns Creek GA. You no longer have staff to greet, sign-in and answer questions for arriving patients and phlebotomists serve this duty along with the clinical activities required. Ninety percent of the time (or more) the front desk at one office in Alpharetta is unmanned and clients must wait in hopes of a phlebotomists coming to the front to call back the next patient. It seems to me with the amount of money Quest is saving by not having someone at the front desk they can at least allow patient free access to their online medical records. I could not believe it when I logged in to download my results!!

The wait times are horrible, even when you have a pre-scheduled appointment. It seems the waiting room is always crowded and the facilities are short staffed regardless of the location. The staff are so busy I don't blame them if they are 'short' or stress once you finally get called to see them. I do recommend Quest take a look at their business strategy - having less staff is definitely taking a toll on their overall performance.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I went to the Athens, GA location on October 5th. We were in and out with an easy blood draw. My doctors office called to say that Quest had called them, and they could not send out the blood because of an outstanding bill of $23. The bill was not due until October 6th. I tried calling and was hung up on 3 times. I called my doctors office this morning. We both tried calling to get the matter resolved since I had already paid the bill over the phone. Neither one of us could get an answer, so a nurse from the office drove to the lab. She just informed me that they had disposed of the blood over a $23 balance and there was nothing that could be done since this was the policy of Quest. This is a horrible policy that comes with the worst customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quest Diagnostics?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I was undergoing so many tests back in March 2017 as I had a medical condition. One of my blood work was time sensitive. It was assigned by my doctor otherwise I lose one whole cycle. Went to Quest Derry NH to perform the blood work as usual. Before my doctor follow up appointment after 3 weeks from performing the blood work, I called to make sure that they received The results. It turned out that they didn't. Went to Quest Diagnostics the same moment as we live close to the lab and the staff started to investigate.

After spending three hours there, they found that my blood was collected and taken to the lab and then thrown away. They said that the supervisor will call me the next day as it was around 7:30 pm. That next day was my doctor appointment. On our way, we received a call from their supervisor Katherine ** informing that a mistake happened and my blood order was thrown in the garbage and they don't know who did it. She apologized and she was extremely nice and assured my husband that the fees are waived. It was a shock to us because we have now to wait for another cycle.

When we arrived to our appointment, I had no results but we expected that my husband results are there. So the clinic staff started searching for my husband blood work and couldn't find anything. In a time the manager assured that they sent my husband blood work. So the nurses started calling Quest but in vain. No blood work was found. We had to wait for my next cycle to perform another blood work for both of us. During that period Katherine ** informed that she takes full responsibilities and that they will waive the charges in the first cycle. And that our next cycle blood work is for free as an apology from Quest.

Unfortunately nothing is free. We received so many bills so many notices worth $7000. We tried to contact her so many times. She was rude, impolite, irrespectful and she said it's not her responsibility. And we have to follow with the billing department. Tried to complain so many times to their complaint department. Every time we were promised on the phone that they will help us but nothing happened. I wish what happened to me and my husband never happens with another couple. We passed through hard moments and lots of payments because my blood was thrown away.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

This was one of the worst experiences/healthcare practices I ever paid for. Besides the great services at the front desk, but once I left that office it turned to a nightmare quick. Waited over a week for my results, sent 5 emails in which none were answered. Called customer service 3 times and was on hold for at least 10 minutes each time, and still never got to talk to a human being. Their online software isn't the best. Yes, once Quest actually sends your results, the online service does make it easy to review but if you need any help or if you have questions it is almost impossible to get a answer! To be honest it just doesn't seem like they care about their clients and just worry about your money! If I could give them a half star I would!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

This is just adding to the heap of reviews from people who feel that this company has acted unethically, unconscionably, and without regard to what makes a good society. This company preys on the weak. They charge exorbitant prices when you have insurance, knowing full well that whenever there is confusion or dispute, the costs will be passed along to the powerless consumer who has no recourse. It is absurd that routine tests should have prices that differ based on the insurance that you have. No other industry works this way. If I go to the corner store and they tell me that a pack of gum costs 1000% of the market price, I can refuse to pay and go somewhere else.

What Quest did in this case is that I had routine blood work ordered by my doctor for an annual exam. Quest charged nearly $1000 to the insurance company, who then offered to pay them $114. They accepted. This means that they are doing tests that cost them less than $114 and charging nearly $1000. This is unconscionable, predatory, and unjustifiable. Of course, there was one test that my insurance company did not pay for and then Quest insists that I owe them $250. I am sure that they would accept less than $25 from the insurance company, but if I have to pay for it then it's 10 times as much. Makes sense, right?

I called them multiple times explaining that I needed more time to get the doctor's office to convince the insurance company that the test was "medically necessary" and they told me every time that they would give me another 30 days. Then, they sent the account to collections anyway only two weeks after my most recent phone call. I know that I am powerless, but any opportunity I have to hurt their business I will take it. I will forever insist that I only see providers that do not deal with Quest and if I ever have the option, I will insist that Quest not be given my business. I will encourage everyone I know to do the same. These are horrible people.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Have spent thousand of dollars and would have continued spending hundreds of dollars a year with QUEST, but they have billed me double the price of a test and they are not interested in correcting or accepting a fair price for the service. THEY HAVE BILLED ME DOUBLE WHAT THE CHARGE SHOULD BE. It should have been paid for by Medicare BUT they filled out forms incorrectly!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Quest has one person doing reception, blood taking, billing, processing -- ONE. By my arrival at 11:00 am, 29 patients had already been processed according to the sign in sheet. This is WRONG and probably down-right criminal. It should be investigated. HOW do you take the legally required breaks?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Consulted the doctor and took some test. They said lab results will be available online. Still my account is not properly created. Now I am waiting for my lab results for almost 3 weeks. No response from office/email/online portal. Very bad service.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I received a bill of $ 1,970.47 from Quest Diagnostics which I have to pay $428.98!! They told me to talk to the doctor's office which tell me to talk to them... Nobody in this field know what they're doing!! I think I am dealing with a billing scam and I don't know what to do!! How can we trust in a doctor's office when the nurse says that you are not going to get your prescription if she does not collect a sample of your urine??!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I have been to 5 different Quest locations in North Texas over the course of the last 12 years. I only go there because my insurance will not pay otherwise. First, they are horrible with kids. My 4 yr old was crying and the tech grabbed her shoulders, shook her, and said "If you don't calm down, I'm gonna stick you again!" My teen has been there multiple times where the tech digs around for a vein pointing the needle in different directions going on & out like they have no idea what they're doing. Invariably, after sticking her 3 times they say they couldn't get it because "She's dehydrated & needs to drink more water."

Lastly, I have NEVER seen a tech wash his or her hands. And I mean NEVER! They put different gloves on between people but I see no hand cleansing going on. Between myself and kids, we probably utilize Quest about 6-8 times per year. I always fill out a survey by email afterward but nothing has ever changed. The only positive I can give is that, if you schedule an appointment time, they will take you back at your time even if the waiting room is packed.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Background - I've been going to the Quest in Thorndale, PA for a very long time, and have yet to have ONE pleasant experience. Needles - my veins are very small and they should therefore use a small needle by default (Phlebotomy 101). When I asked about the needle size, I was told that I have to tell them EACH TIME I come in that they need to use a small needle on me. I asked if they can add a note to my account about always using small needles, but they said NO. On the visit where they used the big needle, my arm was bruised for 2 weeks. On another recent visit, I was injected in 3 different places, and left there taped up everywhere, it was ridiculous! That phlebotomist had been there over 20 years (she even stated that she opened that Thorndale office). I had to come back the next day to complete my blood work (hydration issues), but she also advised me NOT to take my blood pressure meds that night.

BP meds - I called my doctor about that and the nurse said that that was the craziest thing she had ever heard. 20 years of experience, really? Billing - be warned that when they do the intake paperwork, they will sometimes tell you that you owe them an estimated amount, and they give you a bunch of credit card options for payment. DO NOT ever pay them a dime!! Say "NO, BILL ME." Let them put the claim through to your insurance 1st. Only pay after your insurance has assessed what you owe. My labs are always covered at 100% by my insurance, and I never get billed a penny by my insurance after my visits to Quest. I made the mistake of paying them the estimate one time, that will never happen again! Also note that they won't ever voluntarily give you the option to bill you, but IT IS a valid option. I tell them that every time I go in and they don't ever push back/argue with me.

Employees - they are very very unpleasant and rough. I am not sure if they hate their job, their employer, or both. They all complain about everything under the sun. Several have complained about issue such as; having to rush to open other offices in the same morning, being short staffed, the lab request from the doctor has too many pages (really?).

Customer experience - the worse experience ever, and I have spoken to others who have visited other Quest labs, and they have shared similar feedback. Quest management, if you don't start treating your customers right, the Malvern, PA location will be the 1st of many to get closed. I have visited my last Quest lab this past week, and will be taking my business elsewhere starting next month. Location and convenience is just not enough anymore.

Original review: July 26, 2017

My recent experience with Quest Diagnostics at Texas Tech in Amarillo, TX. They're rude and unprofessional and make a lot of excuses. They keep saying they don't take Care Improvement Plus United Healthcare when the main billing office who issues the statement does accept United Healthcare.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I went to the one in Lowell MA. First of all the woman had an attitude from the minute I got there. Just her demeanor and tone of voice made me very uncomfortable. She even asked me what was wrong with me. When I went to the restroom she kept accusing me of trying to flush the toilet. I was trying to get toilet paper and it was stuck to the metal container it was in was making noise. She accused me 3 times of trying to flush the toilet. She had to have had her ear to the door. Then when I came out their sink wasn't working and she offered me hand sanitizer. That is disgusting. I cannot stand using the bathroom without washing my hands. How unsanitary, I am disgusted. Fix your sinks! How are you going to have no working sinks in a place like that? Are the drug test results even trustworthy?

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have been using this lab for many years and with the same health insurance. I have had blood work done annually. Every year. Same insurance. No problems. Today I was asked for my driver's license and a credit card was demanded!! This NEVER happened before. Does this sound like the start of identity theft? I was very upset and should have left, but I handed over the documentation like a fool. Now I will be worried for months. I am planning to cancel my credit card. All this because of suspicious behavior! Not worth it. Will use another lab.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Every time I have used Quest, it's been a terrible experience. They are disorganized, often rude, and have a bad reputation among doctors. I'm a very patient, well mannered person, and even I get irritated with them. Have your doctor recommend a different lab to get blood done. All of my doctors have nothing good to say about Quest. They are infamous for messing up orders and also for being rude and inconsiderate to patients. Here are two of my worst experiences:

1) Seeing that their hours were 7AM to 4PM, I arrived at 3:30PM. The employee was noticeably irritated and told me that they were already starting to close up. I insisted that the hours were until 4PM, but he tried to tell me that "We need a half hour to clean up and close." Once I asked to speak to his manager, he complied and let me come in.

2) This what the experience that prompted me to write this review. I had blood taken using a direct order from my Doctor. A week later, my doctor informed me that Quest didn't take all of the blood that was on the order, so I had to go a second time. I tried to verify with the person taking the blood that everything was on the order, but she insisted that if something was missing it was the doctor's fault. Well, they got it wrong AGAIN! My doctor told me that they have constant complaints from patients regarding Quest and had me get blood taken elsewhere. I had to get blood taken different times when it should have been once!

Original review: June 27, 2017

I called several Quest Diagnostics locations multiple times and the employees did not answer. The message went straight to voicemail after multiple calls and the mailbox was always full. I finally got in touch with someone and informed them that the online appointment scheduler does not work. It will not submit my request. They cut me off when I was speaking and gave me a number that I had ALSO previously called and was a broken landline. I could not get in touch with a single person. Bottom line, customer service is a disaster.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Nobody EVER answers the number at my local office, a real problem since I want to ask questions about the local office. The toll-free number is a rolling mess of a thing to get where you want. There's something wrong with their system today. The automated system recording was loud enough to be clearly understood but the operators were all especially quiet (phone system problem). They say JD Power might call me. I hope they do. I will leave a scathing review.

I'm sorry, national numbers are nice for businesses whose locations aren't intended to deal with customers face-to-face, but a MEDICAL service, I should be able to talk to the location I would be attending. THE ONLY THING I can say is that the two operators I spoke to nice and courteous. Looking at the other reviews here, and their barely one-star rating, I am glad I canceled my appointment.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I arrived at the Quest Lab in Milford, MA. I had signed in and also shown them my credentials. They drew about 5 vials of blood. I receive a call from the doctor that they did not receive the labs. It was determined that the Lab had entered my name incorrectly (it indicated I was a male). They did not complete the order and nor did they send it to the lab. There was no follow up at all. When I called their customer service yesterday I was told that they would communicate with the Quest lab in Milford MA on Water St. I'm still pending a response. I'm shocked that this company is still in business based on the complaints that I'm seeing. They seem to provide a needed service, but their lack of follow up and their procedures to resolve issues is seriously lacking.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I had lab work done at Quest labs in 2/17. I told the lab tech that my insurance policy had changed. She looked at my insurance card and said, "no it's the same number". When I received the EOB from insurance company, that had that it wouldn't pay anything. So I called Quest and told them the problem. The lady I talked to acted like I didn't know what I was talking about and made me read the whole EOB to her before she asked for the correct insurance policy number. When I gave it to her she stated "oh that's the problem. Your number is different"... well duh!! Next month I received a corrected bill but it didn't show the discount from the insurance company. I called Quest again and told them the problem. They asked me to fax them the correct EOB. I did.

Another bill came 1-2 weeks later. It didn't show any changes. Another phone call to QUEST to go through the whole problem again. She asked me again to fax the EOB. I did. 1-2 weeks later, another bill. You guessed it. Same problem. Now I'm getting bills every week. I got a past due bill as I hadn't paid on it till they straightened it up. I even emailed them and faxed the EOB again. Called them 6/5 and they said they'd send me out a bill showing that I had a zero balance as I had since paid them and they were showing that I had. Today, 6/12, I received a new bill with the original amount of the bill ($1000+), not showing the discounted amount, nor the $200 they charged my charge card, nor the balance I paid them.

What does a person need to do to get things taken care of. I have written an email to their patient advocacy person now as I'm tired of dealing with them. Thinking of hiring a lawyer for the continuous harassment receiving now. Does anyone at Quest know anything? Either they do and their company is running a scam by trying to get more money. Or they're dumb. But everyone I talked to on the phone was very courteous. We shall see. But if you can avoid it... avoid Quest labs like the plague.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have been talking to Quest billing department for bloodwork test I was billed for that my doctor did not order. I told them to take it off my bill and they said they wouldn't unless my doctor called them and told them to do so. I called my doctor's nurse and she said it was never ordered and my file shows it was not ordered. She also gave me a copy of what was ordered. I told this to Quest and they said it must have been called in at a later time over the phone. I told this to my doctors nurse and she said they always fax with doctor's signature to them. It is also documented in file. When I told this to Quest they still refuse to take off my bill. I asked them for the proof since they should have a copy of the order from doctor, which they do not.

I noticed also Quest has made changes. They no longer have a girl up front that handles the insurance and billing and logging information into computer for patients and their blood draw technicians. They now have their technicians type the doctor's orders along with the codes into the computer before they can draw your blood. Believe me, it now takes forever. Is there a person in charge like Vice President of Quest that we can talk to that will listen to us. Quest billing doesn't seem to care. I am in Panama City, Florida. Bloodwork is sent to Tampa.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have had the most horrible experience with Phoenixville, PA location. Constantly understaffed, requiring you to wait long periods of time or come back. I couldn't get anyone's attention even to just drop off a sample. Once I was able to drop off the sample, they lost it. We had to re-submit, and then they billed us again. I spoke to numerous people in customer service, including the manager of this location, and he denied that they lost the sample, was totally unsympathetic, and I continue to get bills for the re-test. I will NEVER EVER go to any Quest location again.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I use your office located on 13th St. In Jacksonville Beach, Fl. The lab tech who helped me today was **. Even though they were short handed, she was polite and professional and I didn't feel a thing.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I arrived with my son at 8:09 am to get blood work done before school. Although the building was open, the quest lab had no one available in reception until 8:30 am. The clipboard did not have a fresh sign in sheet prepared for the day. People were arriving early to get their labs done and I started a sign in sheet and placed it on their clipboard so that it would be clear what order patients arrived in. We stepped out for 15 minutes so my son could pick up lunch at Subway and when we returned at 8:25 am (before the lab was officially taking patients), the woman from Quest had removed our sign-in sheet and started a new sign-in sheet and had people sign in random order. She reprimanded me that we started a sign-in sheet (when she failed to provide one for the day!).

If this is Quest policy, not to have a sign in sheet prepared until the minute the lab opens for patients, it should change. A sign-in sheet should be available in the morning as patients arrive, not when the lab is ready to take the 1st patient at 8:30 am. We were the 1st ones to arrive and ended up 5th on the list after she caused the chaos. This was a very frustrating experience for us at Quest and my son did not have a chance to eat breakfast before school, after his labs, because we were 5th to be seen - instead of 1st, like we arrived. The patient names could have easily been transferred to her new sign-in sheet in the order that the patients arrived in, instead she chose to be spiteful. Extremely poor customer service. No wonder other Quest reviews reflect a 1-star rating out of 5-stars. It's time that Quest management implements more customer friendly policies and replaces the rude employees.

Original review: May 8, 2017

Over the past year, I have had 3 PSA blood test that came back high. The results of those scores brought several other types of costly scans and procedures. My Dr decided to have another lab test it because he could not find anything to be concerned about. The other lab came back with a perfect score, confirming what my Dr's diagnoses have been. Quest should pay for all the extra medical cost that I accrued because of their grossly misconstrued results. I am seeing that this is so typical of Quest labs.

Original review: May 8, 2017

On May 03, 2017 at 7:00 am I went to have blood test done at Flamingo and Pembroke Pines when an ** woman told me that I have a balance of $10.00. I offer to pay $10.00 when she told me that they don't take cash, I told her that bill was pay before and she keep saying they don't take cash and I have to leave. This is the first time a company refused to take money. I think this was a person with bad attitude problem and she don't know how to work with people.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I had to come in for additional blood tests for an enlarged uterus following a pap smear with my general doctor. I was well aware I only have the most basic insurance that qualifies me to not have to pay fees at yearly tax time. I asked the receptionist what the full cost of the test would be if my insurance would cover absolutely nothing on the test - she told me around $60. I take good care of myself so of course nothing bad came out of the blood test anyway - I only did it at all to give my SO peace of mind. Five long months after the test, I've been billed a ridiculous $1,109.35 for the test (not to mention almost $200 billed for the general blood tests I had done on my first visit there). I feel completely scammed - if I had known the actual costs for the test, I would have skipped out on it until I had proper insurance (which I do now, under Kaiser) and saved me over a thousand dollars. A WASTE OF TIME, MY BLOOD, AND MONEY.

Original review: April 1, 2017

My Nephrologist sent me for blood work to Quest on 01/30/2017 - on 03/09/2017 I was billed $141.68 which I paid right away. Today 04/01/2017 I received my Medicare statement for Dec 2016 - Feb 28, 2017 and Medicare was never billed for the Quest service. They are nothing but thieves.

Quest Diagnostics Company Information