1.08/5
  • 1 star
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Quest Diagnostics

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 22, 2018

241 Quest Diagnostics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

The fact that they don't have a single human being answering phones is absolutely ridiculous. They pulled billions of dollars in revenue. When I called their customer support through a number I found online on another review... the lady was rude and just transferred me to their automated system instead of helping me. She said the reason they don't have people answering phone calls is because they don't have anyone calling in. Well no crap! If you don't have phone numbers to call, people can't call. What stupid people and what a terrible business.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have gone to Quest Diagnostics on my doctor's recommendations since 2006. In that time I have had close to a million dollars in work performed by hospitals, clinics, and Quest labs. I have the entire time experienced with Quest only incorrect billing of my insurance on a consistent basis the entire time. I have multiple insurance overages. Quest not only billed my insurance companies but they, each time, have billed me forcing me to either pay the invoice or contact them to get it straightened out. This appears to be systemic with their billing practices. No other medical provider do I have this problem with. Now I am getting collection notices for bills that they were supposed to correct after alerting Quest that they had failed to bill it correctly. They refuse to correct the situation that they created causing me financial hardship and ongoing stress. With regard to the star rating if I could choose negative stars I would.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I fasted and arrived on January 18, 2018 to get my blood and urine tested. Even though I provided my Medicare and Horizon BCBS cards, I was asked to provide my credit card no. before services could be provided. I called my husband to report what happened and he agreed that I should not give Quest our credit card no. I have never been required to provide a credit card before lab work could be provided. I declined and left. When I exited the Quest office, I spoke to a patient who arrived before I did and asked her if she had to provide a credit card no. and she said no. She said she would never give out her credit card no.

When I got home, I tried three times to reach someone at Quest to give me the policy in NJ for collecting payment. I was unable to reach anyone by phone or on the internet. I don't know if what happened to me yesterday was a ** thing or actual policy. I received an email from Quest asking how my experience was at Quest. I reported what happened to me and informed them that I was going to report my experience to Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I had an Appointment for 11 am. Showed about 20 mins early. Was told They would NOT do my Labs because my Doctor had 2 forms. They CLAIMED they could not reach my Doctor's office. I went across the Highway and they WERE there. I returned to get my aforementioned Lab Drawn. NO WAY!!!! I would NOW have to wait until the Office Cleared of about 20 more who didn't necessarily even have Appointments. I am having a Cancerous Kidney Removed and needless to say I tire VERY Easily. The Lab Employees didn't Consider anything and were haughty basically saying TOUGH. I left. I wasn't about to have these people Stick me. They may even rip a hole in my arm.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

When drawing the blood; they decided to eliminate one of the tests the doctor ordered. Then the doctor never received the results. The company will not respond to phone calls, emails by myself and doctor, fax requests by doctor and the online test results are not available. Very disappointing company, Very Very BAD!!! I will never frequent again. Waste of time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quest Diagnostics?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have order from Doctor to do some test. Test is very important and time consuming in my condition. Doctor provided the test Coding in order to request price info from Quest. Twice I called to Quest and provided the codes. They refuse to give price. In answer I got also advise, "You will get bill and it will tell you how much". I am sure girl on phone read it from screen as one of texts to turn down customers. Meanwhile Doctors scare us with unclear species in our bodies which needs to be tested, refer your tests to Quest Diagnostics, they play dummy through operators and speculate on our fear of death to do whatever they say and pay whatever they charge without control.

Insurance stay on side as Doctor took it too slow and cut you off from reached Deductible and requested test in new Benefit range year where deductible became even higher. In this circle Hospital/Clinic, Quest Diagnostics I think they not even care to bill to Insurance. They pushing around customer and targeting them finance directly as easy to get. You know: fear of death, medical condition, threatens over phone, bills, collectors and refuse to provide service with outstanding bills. Only way to stop the crime is to look for Hospitals/Clinics which has them own Labs.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have expressed my concerns to Quest labs directly via email and was ignored. As a requirement of my insurance plan, I have to have my labs drawn at Quest in order for them to be paid for. I have gone to my local lab many times over the past couple of years and have encountered numerous HIPPA violations and, most recently, endured a lab error that caused a great deal of anxiety over incorrect results. On each occasion I have visited my local lab, specimens from other patients are sitting out within reach, usually with the associated lab orders with them so that I can see the names of the patients.

On one occasion, the nurse came out into the waiting room, called a patient's name and then proceeded to ask him, in front of everyone else there, what test he was there for!!! I wrote of this to the company and completed a survey on their website but I've never been contacted. I have let my prescribing healthcare provider know of the conditions there and nothing has been done. I can only assume that the company at large does not care how their labs are being run.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Every, I mean every time I use Quest I get an outrageous bill even though I have Medicare and BlueCross as my secondary provider. Quest is intent on only billing Medicare. They refuse to bill BlueCross telling me to do so myself. I asked for a dispute phone number and they want me to do their job and contact Medicare for procedures I never requested. It's like if I take my car to the mechanic for an oil change and they install a engine instead and bill me telling me I signed an agreement to pay the claims that were denied. This company needs to be on the T.V show "American Greed".

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Horrible, horrible, horrible customer services. As a physician if you attempt to call you go through a long series of prompt to be put in a queue on hold then the call suddenly disconnects. This not only wastes time, but you don't what you need. Oh, and then there's the dysfunctional Quest Connect self serve. I have complained numerous times to the local rep, but Quest does not care and does not improve. Quest is run by a bunch of **.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

This company is such a rip-off and I see that other reviewers have said the same thing - no matter what the insurance has paid, they will bill for things that they shouldn't and when you call them to discuss, they claim they are not medically trained and cannot explain the charges they are billing you for. I fail to see why I should pay for something the insurance co./Medicare says the doctor did not order and they cannot even explain. We will try and make sure we have tests done elsewhere in the future. I would give them negative stars if possible.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I take my toddlers boy to this place to have a routine blood test and the lady who make the test take so long to find the vein and my poor child crying and screaming and I feel so sad and frustrated but this is not the deal. The thing was at the end when she finish she said that we need to do the exam again because is clot in the blood that he extracted and she also scratched with the nails my child arm. OMG. When I see this and hear what she is telling me I feel so mad that I reply, "No I don't want to do this again to my child". And I leave this place almost crying and I write this review to let people know this place is unprofessional and unsatisfactory dealing with children.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

No matter how you pay, at the doctor, with insurance, without, with credit card. One thing is for sure, Quest Diagnostics WILL send you a bill, regardless if you have paid for it, insurance covered it - it does not matter. These greedy PIGS will always send you a bill for either the same amount or more, something ridiculous like $149 for an A1C test and claim it’s YOUR responsibility of the bill. Even though your insurance already paid $100 for this $25 test. GREEDY PIGS. Then, they will send you to collection and chase you until the end of time.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I am here for some critical tests. Apparently I owed them $33 a year ago. I never got a bill and I was living at my mother's house at the time period. I called her up to ask her if she received a bill and she confirmed that we never did. They sent this $33 to collections and it will go against my credit. This mystery bill will hinder my chances of getting houses, cars, other things in the future. They also denied my treatment and testing because of this. They forced me to pay this $33 to get these critical tests on which dampers my chances of negotiating anything being taken off of my credit.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

This company has no desire whatsoever to provide a good experience for the customer. It's a very long wait to actually speak with a person in customer service and practically impossible to get through to a local location. When I arrived, I asked the receptionist if she could verify that they received the blood work order fax from my doctor's office. She said I would have to wait until she checked me in. I politely pointed out that by then it would be too late to ask the doctor's office to fax it again. She still said I would have to wait. She was not busy at the time, and the fax machine was right behind her! Just plain lazy, and rude to top it off. It was as if she took pleasure in being difficult.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Due to a rare genetic condition, both my son and I require frequent, almost weekly, blood and/or urinary tests and monitoring. When given a choice by the ordering physician, I always have the blood drawn (or urinalysis) at LabCorp. (I am NOT associated with LabCorp in in ANYWAY) If I may elaborate further. Quest has the audacity to charge customers $10 to access reports online through the patient portal. This is absolutely ludicrous. LabCorp provides anywhere, anytime, secure access to results on my mobile or desktop in easy to understand visualizations that virtually anyone should be able to understand. More importantly, this service is of no additional charge to their customers.

I've also noticed a significant deterioration in the quality of customer services (i.e., professionalism, timeliness, friendliness) at Quest facilities in the Alpharetta and Johns Creek GA. You no longer have staff to greet, sign-in and answer questions for arriving patients and phlebotomists serve this duty along with the clinical activities required. Ninety percent of the time (or more) the front desk at one office in Alpharetta is unmanned and clients must wait in hopes of a phlebotomists coming to the front to call back the next patient. It seems to me with the amount of money Quest is saving by not having someone at the front desk they can at least allow patient free access to their online medical records. I could not believe it when I logged in to download my results!!

The wait times are horrible, even when you have a pre-scheduled appointment. It seems the waiting room is always crowded and the facilities are short staffed regardless of the location. The staff are so busy I don't blame them if they are 'short' or stress once you finally get called to see them. I do recommend Quest take a look at their business strategy - having less staff is definitely taking a toll on their overall performance.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I went to the Athens, GA location on October 5th. We were in and out with an easy blood draw. My doctors office called to say that Quest had called them, and they could not send out the blood because of an outstanding bill of $23. The bill was not due until October 6th. I tried calling and was hung up on 3 times. I called my doctors office this morning. We both tried calling to get the matter resolved since I had already paid the bill over the phone. Neither one of us could get an answer, so a nurse from the office drove to the lab. She just informed me that they had disposed of the blood over a $23 balance and there was nothing that could be done since this was the policy of Quest. This is a horrible policy that comes with the worst customer service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I was undergoing so many tests back in March 2017 as I had a medical condition. One of my blood work was time sensitive. It was assigned by my doctor otherwise I lose one whole cycle. Went to Quest Derry NH to perform the blood work as usual. Before my doctor follow up appointment after 3 weeks from performing the blood work, I called to make sure that they received The results. It turned out that they didn't. Went to Quest Diagnostics the same moment as we live close to the lab and the staff started to investigate.

After spending three hours there, they found that my blood was collected and taken to the lab and then thrown away. They said that the supervisor will call me the next day as it was around 7:30 pm. That next day was my doctor appointment. On our way, we received a call from their supervisor Katherine ** informing that a mistake happened and my blood order was thrown in the garbage and they don't know who did it. She apologized and she was extremely nice and assured my husband that the fees are waived. It was a shock to us because we have now to wait for another cycle.

When we arrived to our appointment, I had no results but we expected that my husband results are there. So the clinic staff started searching for my husband blood work and couldn't find anything. In a time the manager assured that they sent my husband blood work. So the nurses started calling Quest but in vain. No blood work was found. We had to wait for my next cycle to perform another blood work for both of us. During that period Katherine ** informed that she takes full responsibilities and that they will waive the charges in the first cycle. And that our next cycle blood work is for free as an apology from Quest.

Unfortunately nothing is free. We received so many bills so many notices worth $7000. We tried to contact her so many times. She was rude, impolite, irrespectful and she said it's not her responsibility. And we have to follow with the billing department. Tried to complain so many times to their complaint department. Every time we were promised on the phone that they will help us but nothing happened. I wish what happened to me and my husband never happens with another couple. We passed through hard moments and lots of payments because my blood was thrown away.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

This was one of the worst experiences/healthcare practices I ever paid for. Besides the great services at the front desk, but once I left that office it turned to a nightmare quick. Waited over a week for my results, sent 5 emails in which none were answered. Called customer service 3 times and was on hold for at least 10 minutes each time, and still never got to talk to a human being. Their online software isn't the best. Yes, once Quest actually sends your results, the online service does make it easy to review but if you need any help or if you have questions it is almost impossible to get a answer! To be honest it just doesn't seem like they care about their clients and just worry about your money! If I could give them a half star I would!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

This is just adding to the heap of reviews from people who feel that this company has acted unethically, unconscionably, and without regard to what makes a good society. This company preys on the weak. They charge exorbitant prices when you have insurance, knowing full well that whenever there is confusion or dispute, the costs will be passed along to the powerless consumer who has no recourse. It is absurd that routine tests should have prices that differ based on the insurance that you have. No other industry works this way. If I go to the corner store and they tell me that a pack of gum costs 1000% of the market price, I can refuse to pay and go somewhere else.

What Quest did in this case is that I had routine blood work ordered by my doctor for an annual exam. Quest charged nearly $1000 to the insurance company, who then offered to pay them $114. They accepted. This means that they are doing tests that cost them less than $114 and charging nearly $1000. This is unconscionable, predatory, and unjustifiable. Of course, there was one test that my insurance company did not pay for and then Quest insists that I owe them $250. I am sure that they would accept less than $25 from the insurance company, but if I have to pay for it then it's 10 times as much. Makes sense, right?

I called them multiple times explaining that I needed more time to get the doctor's office to convince the insurance company that the test was "medically necessary" and they told me every time that they would give me another 30 days. Then, they sent the account to collections anyway only two weeks after my most recent phone call. I know that I am powerless, but any opportunity I have to hurt their business I will take it. I will forever insist that I only see providers that do not deal with Quest and if I ever have the option, I will insist that Quest not be given my business. I will encourage everyone I know to do the same. These are horrible people.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Have spent thousand of dollars and would have continued spending hundreds of dollars a year with QUEST, but they have billed me double the price of a test and they are not interested in correcting or accepting a fair price for the service. THEY HAVE BILLED ME DOUBLE WHAT THE CHARGE SHOULD BE. It should have been paid for by Medicare BUT they filled out forms incorrectly!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Quest has one person doing reception, blood taking, billing, processing -- ONE. By my arrival at 11:00 am, 29 patients had already been processed according to the sign in sheet. This is WRONG and probably down-right criminal. It should be investigated. HOW do you take the legally required breaks?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Consulted the doctor and took some test. They said lab results will be available online. Still my account is not properly created. Now I am waiting for my lab results for almost 3 weeks. No response from office/email/online portal. Very bad service.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I received a bill of $ 1,970.47 from Quest Diagnostics which I have to pay $428.98!! They told me to talk to the doctor's office which tell me to talk to them... Nobody in this field know what they're doing!! I think I am dealing with a billing scam and I don't know what to do!! How can we trust in a doctor's office when the nurse says that you are not going to get your prescription if she does not collect a sample of your urine??!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I have been to 5 different Quest locations in North Texas over the course of the last 12 years. I only go there because my insurance will not pay otherwise. First, they are horrible with kids. My 4 yr old was crying and the tech grabbed her shoulders, shook her, and said "If you don't calm down, I'm gonna stick you again!" My teen has been there multiple times where the tech digs around for a vein pointing the needle in different directions going on & out like they have no idea what they're doing. Invariably, after sticking her 3 times they say they couldn't get it because "She's dehydrated & needs to drink more water."

Lastly, I have NEVER seen a tech wash his or her hands. And I mean NEVER! They put different gloves on between people but I see no hand cleansing going on. Between myself and kids, we probably utilize Quest about 6-8 times per year. I always fill out a survey by email afterward but nothing has ever changed. The only positive I can give is that, if you schedule an appointment time, they will take you back at your time even if the waiting room is packed.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Background - I've been going to the Quest in Thorndale, PA for a very long time, and have yet to have ONE pleasant experience. Needles - my veins are very small and they should therefore use a small needle by default (Phlebotomy 101). When I asked about the needle size, I was told that I have to tell them EACH TIME I come in that they need to use a small needle on me. I asked if they can add a note to my account about always using small needles, but they said NO. On the visit where they used the big needle, my arm was bruised for 2 weeks. On another recent visit, I was injected in 3 different places, and left there taped up everywhere, it was ridiculous! That phlebotomist had been there over 20 years (she even stated that she opened that Thorndale office). I had to come back the next day to complete my blood work (hydration issues), but she also advised me NOT to take my blood pressure meds that night.

BP meds - I called my doctor about that and the nurse said that that was the craziest thing she had ever heard. 20 years of experience, really? Billing - be warned that when they do the intake paperwork, they will sometimes tell you that you owe them an estimated amount, and they give you a bunch of credit card options for payment. DO NOT ever pay them a dime!! Say "NO, BILL ME." Let them put the claim through to your insurance 1st. Only pay after your insurance has assessed what you owe. My labs are always covered at 100% by my insurance, and I never get billed a penny by my insurance after my visits to Quest. I made the mistake of paying them the estimate one time, that will never happen again! Also note that they won't ever voluntarily give you the option to bill you, but IT IS a valid option. I tell them that every time I go in and they don't ever push back/argue with me.

Employees - they are very very unpleasant and rough. I am not sure if they hate their job, their employer, or both. They all complain about everything under the sun. Several have complained about issue such as; having to rush to open other offices in the same morning, being short staffed, the lab request from the doctor has too many pages (really?).

Customer experience - the worse experience ever, and I have spoken to others who have visited other Quest labs, and they have shared similar feedback. Quest management, if you don't start treating your customers right, the Malvern, PA location will be the 1st of many to get closed. I have visited my last Quest lab this past week, and will be taking my business elsewhere starting next month. Location and convenience is just not enough anymore.

Original review: July 26, 2017

My recent experience with Quest Diagnostics at Texas Tech in Amarillo, TX. They're rude and unprofessional and make a lot of excuses. They keep saying they don't take Care Improvement Plus United Healthcare when the main billing office who issues the statement does accept United Healthcare.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I went to the one in Lowell MA. First of all the woman had an attitude from the minute I got there. Just her demeanor and tone of voice made me very uncomfortable. She even asked me what was wrong with me. When I went to the restroom she kept accusing me of trying to flush the toilet. I was trying to get toilet paper and it was stuck to the metal container it was in was making noise. She accused me 3 times of trying to flush the toilet. She had to have had her ear to the door. Then when I came out their sink wasn't working and she offered me hand sanitizer. That is disgusting. I cannot stand using the bathroom without washing my hands. How unsanitary, I am disgusted. Fix your sinks! How are you going to have no working sinks in a place like that? Are the drug test results even trustworthy?

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have been using this lab for many years and with the same health insurance. I have had blood work done annually. Every year. Same insurance. No problems. Today I was asked for my driver's license and a credit card was demanded!! This NEVER happened before. Does this sound like the start of identity theft? I was very upset and should have left, but I handed over the documentation like a fool. Now I will be worried for months. I am planning to cancel my credit card. All this because of suspicious behavior! Not worth it. Will use another lab.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Every time I have used Quest, it's been a terrible experience. They are disorganized, often rude, and have a bad reputation among doctors. I'm a very patient, well mannered person, and even I get irritated with them. Have your doctor recommend a different lab to get blood done. All of my doctors have nothing good to say about Quest. They are infamous for messing up orders and also for being rude and inconsiderate to patients. Here are two of my worst experiences:

1) Seeing that their hours were 7AM to 4PM, I arrived at 3:30PM. The employee was noticeably irritated and told me that they were already starting to close up. I insisted that the hours were until 4PM, but he tried to tell me that "We need a half hour to clean up and close." Once I asked to speak to his manager, he complied and let me come in.

2) This what the experience that prompted me to write this review. I had blood taken using a direct order from my Doctor. A week later, my doctor informed me that Quest didn't take all of the blood that was on the order, so I had to go a second time. I tried to verify with the person taking the blood that everything was on the order, but she insisted that if something was missing it was the doctor's fault. Well, they got it wrong AGAIN! My doctor told me that they have constant complaints from patients regarding Quest and had me get blood taken elsewhere. I had to get blood taken different times when it should have been once!

Original review: June 27, 2017

I called several Quest Diagnostics locations multiple times and the employees did not answer. The message went straight to voicemail after multiple calls and the mailbox was always full. I finally got in touch with someone and informed them that the online appointment scheduler does not work. It will not submit my request. They cut me off when I was speaking and gave me a number that I had ALSO previously called and was a broken landline. I could not get in touch with a single person. Bottom line, customer service is a disaster.

Quest Diagnostics Company Information

www.questdiagnostics.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use