1.15/5

Madison, NJ

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

334 Quest Diagnostics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I received services from Quest in November 2017. Because the wrong medical codes were submitted by the Doctor's office, I received a bill for $496. My insurance company assured me it was a paperwork problem and they were taking care of it. I spent the next year and 4 months calling between the Doctor's office (who corrected the codes), Blue Cross, and Quest. I was sent to Collections by Quest despite the disputed charges. My insurance company requested the lab results so they can process the claim, and Quest refuses. When I speak to them they tell me they have put the collections on hold, though collections tells me they haven't. Blue Cross is working with me, but can not get Quest to cooperate. My credit has been harmed, and I am powerless. Am I supposed to get a lawyer?

Original review: March 15, 2019

On February 12, 2019 my doctor expressed that I should go to Quest lab just down the hallway (Quest Diagnostics - Shawnee Mission, 8901 W 74th St Ste 228, Shawnee Mission, KS 66204). There was nobody there when I walked in so I ask for help at the window thinking somebody would hear me and come. I did this for three minutes or so. I then sat down and waited. A pleasant ** man came in the door and before he could sit down the ** lady lab tech came out and started joking and having a great time. She took him in the back. She didn’t look at me. She didn’t recognize in any way that I was there. A little later the man left. He told me to open the door at yell for her or I would never see her again. So I was in the doorway on the waiting room side, and I asked for her.

After a couple of minutes she was in a room and asked me where I was and I told her and she raised her voice and told me to shut the door with some colorful racist words, so I did. She did not come out of the room to speak face to face. After several minutes she came to me and said that I must make an appointment before she could take my blood, she never looked at me and was talking down to me in a ** raciest way. I read that I didn’t need an appointment for taking blood; it just stated that the people with appointments came first. I didn’t say anything, I tried for a while to log in and make an appointment. I couldn’t figure it out. I then asked for help and she came out slightly shoved me to the side so she could get to the appointment machine.

Again she talked to me in a very angry racist way. She left again without looking at me. I figured it out and in two to three minutes she came out to the waiting room and said "Michael" while looking in the other direction. I was the only one in the room. I walked back to a room as I stood there awhile waiting for direction as any professional office would give me. After a while I sat down in the blood chair. I was trying to break the ice between us so I was talking small talk to get things started. She didn’t even recognize that I was in the room. After five minutes she came over and acquired my blood. After she was done she went back to her desk, so after a couple of minutes I walked out.

She did not talk to me from the time she said Michael in the waiting room to the time I left. She made lots of grunts and noises being very disrespectful. She clearly didn’t want to have anything to do with a ** person. It was beyond clear that she was treating me in a very ** racist way. I will not use any Quest lab again since they hire prejudiced ** hating bigoted ** people. I grew up in a ** and ** neighborhood and there were tensions, fights, garbage racist talking and threats etc. However, I have never been treated this way in my life and she is the most narrow-minded bigoted person I ever had the misfortune of meeting. I sent the above letter to Quest headquarters, my email sent a triggered response for me to make a telephone appointment to speak about the problem, so I set up the time and date but no one has try to respond even after I tried again. Since the state has to license Quest I will let them know about this very rude person.

Get expert buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 6, 2019

I used Quest before, maybe about 5 years ago. They have gone downhill! I was told results would be within 3 days. Well that didn't happen. When I call all I get is "it's pending". I got tested for C Diff which is very painful and contagious. Well I'm waiting.... Need to get on meds and need to go back to work. Come on QUEST. YOU'RE dealing in the medical field and PEOPLE'S LIVES.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Piss. Poor service here, when I cam in someone in a ** tone of voice told me I needed to sign in. Had she been doing her job, she could have seen I already signed in. Not sure why she was having a ** day, but it had nothing to do with me, I was kept waiting in excess of 20 minutes, even though the board said 3 minutes, and was stuck on 3 minutes. Seems the worker was working alone. The words spoken to me were all in a very ** tone of voice! If you are having a bad day don't come to work then!

I urinated in a bottle, and upon exit I noted the urine was at 98 degrees on the cheap temp gauge pasted on the bottle. The rep claimed the temp was out of range. We discussed it, and she claimed it should have been closer to 90 not 98. Then she lied and checked the box on the form (after I initialed) that the sample was not in the range from 90-100, however it was clearly 98. Then I was told in a ** tone of voice that I had to stay there 3 hours and could not leave, and that I would be brought water. I don't drink strange water for one. And 98 is within the acceptable range as indicated by the submission form, but it was still marked off as a refusal. Great! Your deceptive practice has been noted! And it is fraud to lie on a medical form! Maybe she should have gotten a real thermometer and stuck it in the sample?!?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

5 minutes... 2 Blood Draws for cholesterol and renal values... Self-Pay. Total Cost $331.79. The email I received after the visit also states the following, "Thank you for your payment. You will receive a separate invoice for tests that we were unable to provide a quote for at the time of service."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quest Diagnostics?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I went online to book an appointment, notable there were no appointment times available for 8 AM so I chose 830am for the 5th time, as this was the same repetitive lab work I had done for a year now. I arrived at 8:10 AM, I was called back at 8:14 AM by - using the term loosely - a young lady, she was rude from the beginning. That only continued to grow as she reviewed my paperwork and noticed there was a notation of an 8 AM blood draw mentioned on the lab slip - “as I mentioned this is repetitious so it’s the same verbiage that was on all of the previous lab slips”.

When the lab tech refused to take my blood because it was past 8 AM I explained this is the same lab work I’ve had done several times and never at 8 AM, asked that she review my file. She stood with a condescending look on her face and said, “You have to show up at 7:30 and wait.“ So I pose the question, even if I show up at 7:30 there’s no guarantee that I’ll be seen at 8 AM right? Which would then require me to show up again 7:30, miss more work, make more arrangements, jump through life’s hoops just to be turned away.

She again pointed to the 8 am noted on the lab slip, and in a very condescending tone repeated the statement, I would have to show up at 7:30 and wait. Speaking to me as though I were a petulant child in front of a room filled with patients, other lab techs. It’s Quest Diagnostics. I wasn’t expecting a five-star experience, however I was definitely not expecting search lowbrow, condescending and sanctimonious treatment. So to you, “obese angry ** female” in bay #4 in the MURRIETA (Handcock rd) California location, there is a special place reserved in hell for people like you. Judging your general appearance, demeanor I would say you’re not angry at me, you need to work out your issues with the person looking back at you in the mirror and stop talking your self-loathing out on others. And for the record calling their customer service is a joke. How is this company still in business?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Based on my encounter with a phlebotomist who took my specimens, I would say he should be retrained of how to handle specimens, how to treat patients with common courtesy, and how to present himself as a reliable, capable, and professional employee. I didn't want to say anything to him right there for fear he might retaliate by messing with my specimens. Neither could I ask for another technician. As he called my name for the blood work, I politely said "Hi" to him and sincerely asked how he was doing. He unfriendly answered "OK". My first impression of him was he seemed as if he had a bad day and didn't care much of how he presented himself to other people.

He didn't follow specific steps when it comes to drawing blood with each patient to make sure everything remains sterile. His working area was a untidy & unclean for cleanliness is vital to keep things safe and from cross-contamination. He wasn't being careful and keeping each vial of blood & urine specimens from different patients properly organized. He was watching a game on his smart phone while working on my paper work. He didn't have everything organized on a tray to collect my specimens. He just took things out of the draw as needed and put them on the arm rest of the blood drawing chair that he didn't wipe it clean after the patient right before me. He didn't even wash his hand and were new gloves when my turn. In fact, he picked up the used gloves that he dropped on the floor, wore them, and continued to work on me. When working with blood, cleanliness, and sterilization are important but he failed to do so.

Two things I liked about this phlebotomist were that he's not a talkative person and did a good job of withdrawing my blood in a first try. I understand that phlebotomists work in a busy environment, seeing a dozen patients or more in a single day and trying to keep up a fast pace. But they must do their job correctly and have social conscience to give their patients their best care. It's very hard to talk to a receptionist of any QuestDiagnostics locations! I went to this location whose receptionist is an check-in ipad. This wasn't the lab of my choice; I just followed my doctor's order.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I received an invoice for over $600 for 2 blood tests. Evidently, my physician did not give them the codes. Once my physician called them and corrected the coding I expected the charges to be reprocessed and to receive an updated invoice. I have not. Three unanswered emails from me and 3 bills later nothing has been done. I tried calling them but was on hold for over 20 minutes and had to hang up. I’m at a loss as to what to do next. I suppose I will have to take time off work and sit on the phone until I get a live person. However, based on other reviews I think this may be a long battle. (I made sure to add the appropriate email address to my address book so I wouldn’t miss any of their emails. I check my spam folder regularly and I have not received any communication from them.)

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They keep billing you extra statements to collect more money after each doctor visit. They kept ignoring your complaints and sent your statements to collecting agencies to bother you by mailing letters plus calling your cell phone... After almost 2 years of battle with them, it’s not your fault but your credit scores already damaged... They will not say sorry or helping you to repair your credit scores at all. That’s how they suck people blood to get richer.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My appointment was at 7:45 today on Feb. 20, 2019 at Park Blvd. in Seminole, FL. I required a pre 8 a.m. blood draw. I had waited for over two weeks to get this appointment and needed it on this day in order to have the results prior to my dr. appointment. I signed in at 7:43 using the code provided in the text. It said I was signed in!!! I was not familiar with names being listed on the screen as there were no instructions that I saw advising me that my name had to appear there.

There are no staff people to answer any questions. After waiting until 8:02, I finally asked questions of a technician who had appeared to call another customer. I explained the situation including the fact that I needed an 8 a.m. blood draw and was told to sign in again. Then I asked if she could take me as I had indeed signed in earlier and another customer had confirmed that I had done so and been waiting. The technician told me that I would have to wait until all the other people had their tests and it would be too late as it was now after 8 a.m.

I was rightfully upset that the screen now declared I was 10 minutes late when this was not true! Also, why did the tech bother to have me sign in again knowing that she was not going to take me in? This tech could have well taken me under the circumstances especially as the other customer confirmed my facts and that it is not my fault that their computer system did not work properly!!! HORRIBLE THAT THEY DO NOT EVER HAVE A LIVING PERSON IN CASE YOU HAVE A QUESTION.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

HIV testing is a very black and white test. Either you have it or you don't, you aren't left wondering about it. Well last year, I got TWO false positives through Quest and this was for the HIV 1/2 AG/AB 4th gen test. How is this even possible? The second time was accompanied with a secondary form of testing for HIV which came out negative, however it is nerve-wracking nonetheless. After several rapid tests (as I've only had one partner for 2 yrs), after my boyfriend of 2 years taking a blood test, we're negative. Even the doctor was sort of confused on how this happened. I have tormented myself wondering why this could happen. Needless to say with all these reviews complaining about missing blood samples, inaccurate results and one same as me, I AM NOT surprised ONE BIT!! Do not go to Quest. Avoid it. Who do I talk to with these results besides my doctor??? A robot? Unfortunately, my story will be buried with the rest because I'm lawyer-bound.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I am new to Quest Diagnostics services. On September 2018 my physician ordered outside test through the company. I received a bill in November saying I owe close to $ 300.00 for their test. It was a shock since all my bills were cleared with the Everett Clinic. Tried explaining them this was preventive but they kept insisting saying we cannot change the billing code to it and still shows up as Diagnostics ie patient's responsibility and unable to get it covered from United Healthcare. They kept giving me nos. to call on. Still no changes were made and finally an associate said call the clinic. It felt like I was a ping pong ball. Frustrated with both the places I have decided to pay them but never ever would give them business. Not a happy patient.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The lab I would normally go to was Clear Point in McKinney Texas. I have always gotten my blood analysis within 48 hr. but usually it was 24 hrs. or less. Unfortunately Quest Diagnostics purchased them. While the employees there are GREAT, their whole testing process is horrible, it has been a week and my blood work results have not been completed, they do not respond to any inquiries online and their local phone number is informational only. They need to overhaul their entire system - don't ever go there if you need your results in a timely manner - I'm still waiting and highly aggravated.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I had blood work at UMass and was high in 2 out of 8 results. I went to Quest 5 days later and every was normal on the Metabolic Panel. I looked back at 5 Panels over 4 years and was consistently out of range for the same 4 parameters and I know the situation was only getting worse and now every in "Normal". Also did a hormone test on which I came back low - to prescription of that hormone for a month and it came back the same as before I started the therapy. I am not saying blood levels can't change but it looks like maybe they are going thru the motions. I run a laboratory and I know there are QA/QC programs recounts and all but at the end of the day people make mistakes and sometimes get lazy or 1000 other things. I have my doubts about Quest's accuracy. I don't think BUN could go from 30mg/dl (H) to 21mg/dl (N) in 5 days.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I ended up with a $2000+ dollar bill for some minor blood work. You have to love the medical industry. We don't know how much it costs but you will find out once it's too late. It is worse then used car repair, we don't know how bad it is. "Oh we had to replace your whole engine. That will be $18k if you want your car back." These people are scum if you can't estimate a cost to the nearest order of magnitude you don't deserve to run a business. I hope everyone who works here gets scammed by an undefined cost the way this business runs.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I went to my local Quest Diagnostics last Wednesday to get some blood work done. The receptionist told me that it would take 1-2 days to get results. Call in after 2 days, and the representative would tell me it would actually take up to three days. So I wait three business days--nothing, no updates. After 5 days, I ended up calling in again, only to have the representative tell me that they only run this specific test on certain days (Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday), and that I should have results by tomorrow (Tuesday). Well, both Saturday and Thursday have already passed. Why wasn't the test run then? I am frustrated by the lack of clarity, the poor communication, and the waiting time I have experienced through Quest Diagnostic's customer service, and the entire company at large. Please do better.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Went in for blood work ordered by my Doctor, Lab Technician verified all my information, then asked for payment. I gave him my debit card to pay what was my estimated amount due for the procedure. He had me sign what I thought was a consent to treat document but turned out it was a document giving Quest Diagnosis authorization to charge my debit card for any balance remaining that was not covered by insurance. If the Technician had explained that to me I would not have signed it. I have used Quest for a couple of years and I always was billed and I paid them online. Because of this payment my account went into the red and I had to pay a overdraft fee. I live paycheck by paycheck and I watch my account like a hawk, so when I got a email from Quest Diagnostics stating that they charged my debit card without my permission, I was surprised and felt violated of my hard earned money. Be careful of what you sign and pay with cash!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I give you one star so I can post but you don't deserve even that. I went to Quest Labs to have blood test, and I have two Insurances. TRICARE, and MEDICARE. Quest Labs claimed they billed both and they did not at all. I know because I called both. The form they have you sign saying you assume responsibility is because they will not bill your Insurance. They want your money and they are not willing to wait for your Insurance. The Tulare, CA Quest labs lied to me and Quest Labs are the reason Medical cost are rising. They take disadvantage of you customers and they can't be trusted.

I intend to travel around to Quest labs and make an announcement in front of Customers warning them about these crooks. DO NOT GO TO QUEST LABS. I refused to pay you because you lied to me and if you send me another bill I will burn it up and ignore you and start going to the Tulare, CA Quest Labs and warn customers again. In your face you crooks and liars.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I needed a PSA test. Waited over an hour to have blood drawn. The nurse who took my blood jabbered in my ear about her life story for eternity. I am covered by Medicare but I kept getting bills from them. Very difficult to get this corrected. It took several calls. Phone line was always a long wait. Even after it was corrected, I was still getting bills. I will avoid them like the plague in future.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I used Welsh Road location - Quest Diagnostics. I did not have an appointment, arrived at 11:00 am on a Saturday, my testing was done 11:25 by Donna. Very pleasant and professional staff! I would definitely use this location again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

The worst company I ever been with in my life. Their customer service line has been busy every single hour for the past three days I been calling. I drive 30 minutes to my appointment to get told by the lady “you can’t just show up and expect us to do something without a doctor's order.” Then I said “okay” and she goes “okay bye!” I wish I knew her name to blast her. She works at the state college. One with brown hair and she’s short and middle aged. She’s absolutely horrible and so is this company.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Person taking blood didn't know what they were doing. Took over 15 minutes for her to input my information. Applied tourniquet then removed it and demanded credit card for payment. Had someone else come in who was unfriendly and seemed not to care how I felt. This happened this morning 9 am Sahara Avenue, Las Vegas, NV.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This place is so terrible, why is Quest Diagnostics still in business? What is going with all these surprise medical bills after bills? We not just talking about a few hundreds of dollars we are talking Thousands! Is this the medical system in America suppose to be? If I ask you to give me $100, you will ask "for what?" Right? If I ask you for $500, you would definitely ask for what reason? Now I'm hit with $1,276 bill and I don't even know what I paying for!?!?! They would give you some name that you can't even pronounce most definitely.

If you were to pay $1,276 on a HDTV, you would feel pretty darn happy right? What if you after paying this same amount and you don't feel any better, but in fact, you feel completely stress out and perhaps get a stoke from it? People can't even put food on the table and living paycheck to paycheck while medical industry is making money hand over fists. Tell me and make understand what kind of a system is this when they ask you to jump, you jump and when they ask you to pay thousands of dollar you do???

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My husband went to do a routine blood draw for a medical concern. The phlebotomist made 3 reckless/careless moves: 1- My husband verbally requested she should use the superficial vein, and she ignored him and went for a deeper vein (which I learnt later is against policy). 2- She was reckless with the blood test tube and removed it too quickly, and had to discard that tube since it was too “empty”, which means he had to give more blood due to her mistake. 3- During the blood draw, as blood was CLEARLY flowing, she forcefully pulled downwards on the skin, causing some discomfort at the time. Within a few hours it became clear that a hematoma formed due to her rough manhandling and it’s now a week later, and he is STILL IN PAIN! He cannot pick up his arm or extend it straight. He can barely pick up or put pressure on that arm and wakes up during the night in pain.

His doctor was shocked and said in all his year he never saw such a bad case. He’s concerned of a blood clot forming. I blame the technician directly for causing this, thanks to her forcefully pulling the skin down, this causing injury to the vein and creating an internal bleed. Calls and messages to QUEST have been ignored and the only person who called me was a lady pretending to be the supervisor and she just gave excuses and didn’t actually address the complaint. I expect better service after their phlebotomist messes up! Please help me get Quest to apologize to my husband for this injury, and give that technician consequences.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I went to lab for urinalysis and this was performed. It came back with UTI. I am a kidney transplant patient. I received a written order for culture from Transplant Center. Carried order and gave another urine sample. Waited for week and called transplant center. They had not received results. Called Quest in Atlanta and they stated would send results. Called Transplant Center again and they had not receive results. Again called Atlanta and stated I needed urine culture sent. She assured me she would send again. Called Transplant Center and they stated that a urinalysis was received. Third call to Atlanta and again stated I wanted culture not urinalysis and she told me she could not send something that was not done or ordered.

I told her culture had been ordered. That I had read the written order. Telephone call again to Transplant Center and they faxed another order for culture. Went to Quest again And told them I had given urine for culture and wrong order was put in. She stated that they did not put in orders. The MD did. I told her I had brought a written order just like the one I had now. While getting new culture I overheard her tell the other lady she had put in wrong order. She apologized and told me she had been wrong. Again I had to wait for results and it took another week due to holidays. The results are back and I have to get IV antibiotics now.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Quest Diagnostics has poor customer service, at least at the billing number 1-800-366-6635. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY or anyone associated with Quest Diagnostics, PO Box 7306, Hollister, MO. 65673-7306. Even if you deal with local company using Quest that treats you right, the billing company (main company), listed above, will lie to you about your claims. I am currently filing complaints with both Federal BCBS and BCBS of Tennessee against this company.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I am not always aware of labs my doctor's office may send work out to so I did not choose this business, however several times thru this year labs were sent to be processed. I started getting bills here and there but could not tell from the information was I was being billed for. I began getting we're sending you to collection notices. I called several different times and the billing office could not give me information unless I had the billing numbers for each lab. There was no way they could look up my account and tell me which labs were paid and which ones weren’t.

I got a survey asking how they did. I told them how ridiculous their system was. A manager did answer and said if I called her she would try to help me. I did not call because I thought I was paid up. But last week I got a bill from a collections agency. So I will be telling my doctor's office to never send labs here, will be telling everyone I know to never go here. Shame on this business for terrible business systems and lacking customer service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I got billed over $2000 for blood work that my insurance paid for because Quest Diagnostics claimed they didn't receive a check. Quest Diagnostics confirmed with my insurance company that the check was sent to the correct address. They received an EOB from my insurance company that showed what I owed (and had already paid). I even got them to re-request the check from my insurance company twice (confirmed re-sent by my insurance). It took over 6 months and more than 20 calls to get this resolved and I narrowly made it out without getting sent to collections. This is such a horrible company and they should not be allowed to conduct business when they're treating their customers like this.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My insurance company had me do a blood/urine test and lots of interrogative questions from them. The nurse was staring me right in the eyes the whole time she asked me questions and was very fidgety. She couldn't hear anything I said to her even though I was speaking very clearly and as loud as I could. She kept picking up her phone and putting it down. Also, she kept insisting a freckle was a needle mark on my arm. I corrected her several times, but she kept insisting. I said firmly that it was a freckle. And then she took it back, saying if I was a user my arm would be all crazy looking etc. She also sat in a chair close to me with her legs spread and dragged me with the chair I was sitting in to in between her legs to draw blood and to check my blood pressure.

It made me very uncomfortable to the point I was sweating bullets. Especially considering I was alone with her in my office. I really wish they had used a less high strung and less deaf nurse. I honestly think she was faking being hard of hearing as well because she would hear when I was making small talk but not when I was answering questions. And I was so nervous because of her nervous energy that I was making excessive small talk.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Insurance has paid the doctor's office and the office has paid Quest. Yet they keep sending invoices directly to me. I have no prior relationship with them and they are paid for what they are owed by other parties. This is outright fraud.

Quest Diagnostics Company Information