Quest Diagnostics

Madison, NJ

Compare Hospitals

Research top Hospitals recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Have spent thousand of dollars and would have continued spending hundreds of dollars a year with QUEST, but they have billed me double the price of a test and they are not interested in correcting or accepting a fair price for the service. THEY HAVE BILLED ME DOUBLE WHAT THE CHARGE SHOULD BE. It should have been paid for by Medicare BUT they filled out forms incorrectly!

Quest has one person doing reception, blood taking, billing, processing -- ONE. By my arrival at 11:00 am, 29 patients had already been processed according to the sign in sheet. This is WRONG and probably down-right criminal. It should be investigated. HOW do you take the legally required breaks?

Consulted the doctor and took some test. They said lab results will be available online. Still my account is not properly created. Now I am waiting for my lab results for almost 3 weeks. No response from office/email/online portal. Very bad service.

I received a bill of $ 1,970.47 from Quest Diagnostics which I have to pay $428.98!! They told me to talk to the doctor's office which tell me to talk to them... Nobody in this field know what they're doing!! I think I am dealing with a billing scam and I don't know what to do!! How can we trust in a doctor's office when the nurse says that you are not going to get your prescription if she does not collect a sample of your urine??!!

I have been to 5 different Quest locations in North Texas over the course of the last 12 years. I only go there because my insurance will not pay otherwise. First, they are horrible with kids. My 4 yr old was crying and the tech grabbed her shoulders, shook her, and said "If you don't calm down, I'm gonna stick you again!" My teen has been there multiple times where the tech digs around for a vein pointing the needle in different directions going on & out like they have no idea what they're doing. Invariably, after sticking her 3 times they say they couldn't get it because "She's dehydrated & needs to drink more water."

Lastly, I have NEVER seen a tech wash his or her hands. And I mean NEVER! They put different gloves on between people but I see no hand cleansing going on. Between myself and kids, we probably utilize Quest about 6-8 times per year. I always fill out a survey by email afterward but nothing has ever changed. The only positive I can give is that, if you schedule an appointment time, they will take you back at your time even if the waiting room is packed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quest Diagnostics?

Background - I've been going to the Quest in Thorndale, PA for a very long time, and have yet to have ONE pleasant experience. Needles - my veins are very small and they should therefore use a small needle by default (Phlebotomy 101). When I asked about the needle size, I was told that I have to tell them EACH TIME I come in that they need to use a small needle on me. I asked if they can add a note to my account about always using small needles, but they said NO. On the visit where they used the big needle, my arm was bruised for 2 weeks. On another recent visit, I was injected in 3 different places, and left there taped up everywhere, it was ridiculous! That phlebotomist had been there over 20 years (she even stated that she opened that Thorndale office). I had to come back the next day to complete my blood work (hydration issues), but she also advised me NOT to take my blood pressure meds that night.

BP meds - I called my doctor about that and the nurse said that that was the craziest thing she had ever heard. 20 years of experience, really? Billing - be warned that when they do the intake paperwork, they will sometimes tell you that you owe them an estimated amount, and they give you a bunch of credit card options for payment. DO NOT ever pay them a dime!! Say "NO, BILL ME." Let them put the claim through to your insurance 1st. Only pay after your insurance has assessed what you owe. My labs are always covered at 100% by my insurance, and I never get billed a penny by my insurance after my visits to Quest. I made the mistake of paying them the estimate one time, that will never happen again! Also note that they won't ever voluntarily give you the option to bill you, but IT IS a valid option. I tell them that every time I go in and they don't ever push back/argue with me.

Employees - they are very very unpleasant and rough. I am not sure if they hate their job, their employer, or both. They all complain about everything under the sun. Several have complained about issue such as; having to rush to open other offices in the same morning, being short staffed, the lab request from the doctor has too many pages (really?).

Customer experience - the worse experience ever, and I have spoken to others who have visited other Quest labs, and they have shared similar feedback. Quest management, if you don't start treating your customers right, the Malvern, PA location will be the 1st of many to get closed. I have visited my last Quest lab this past week, and will be taking my business elsewhere starting next month. Location and convenience is just not enough anymore.

My recent experience with Quest Diagnostics at Texas Tech in Amarillo, TX. They're rude and unprofessional and make a lot of excuses. They keep saying they don't take Care Improvement Plus United Healthcare when the main billing office who issues the statement does accept United Healthcare.

I went to the one in Lowell MA. First of all the woman had an attitude from the minute I got there. Just her demeanor and tone of voice made me very uncomfortable. She even asked me what was wrong with me. When I went to the restroom she kept accusing me of trying to flush the toilet. I was trying to get toilet paper and it was stuck to the metal container it was in was making noise. She accused me 3 times of trying to flush the toilet. She had to have had her ear to the door. Then when I came out their sink wasn't working and she offered me hand sanitizer. That is disgusting. I cannot stand using the bathroom without washing my hands. How unsanitary, I am disgusted. Fix your sinks! How are you going to have no working sinks in a place like that? Are the drug test results even trustworthy?

I have been using this lab for many years and with the same health insurance. I have had blood work done annually. Every year. Same insurance. No problems. Today I was asked for my driver's license and a credit card was demanded!! This NEVER happened before. Does this sound like the start of identity theft? I was very upset and should have left, but I handed over the documentation like a fool. Now I will be worried for months. I am planning to cancel my credit card. All this because of suspicious behavior! Not worth it. Will use another lab.

Every time I have used Quest, it's been a terrible experience. They are disorganized, often rude, and have a bad reputation among doctors. I'm a very patient, well mannered person, and even I get irritated with them. Have your doctor recommend a different lab to get blood done. All of my doctors have nothing good to say about Quest. They are infamous for messing up orders and also for being rude and inconsiderate to patients. Here are two of my worst experiences:

1) Seeing that their hours were 7AM to 4PM, I arrived at 3:30PM. The employee was noticeably irritated and told me that they were already starting to close up. I insisted that the hours were until 4PM, but he tried to tell me that "We need a half hour to clean up and close." Once I asked to speak to his manager, he complied and let me come in.

2) This what the experience that prompted me to write this review. I had blood taken using a direct order from my Doctor. A week later, my doctor informed me that Quest didn't take all of the blood that was on the order, so I had to go a second time. I tried to verify with the person taking the blood that everything was on the order, but she insisted that if something was missing it was the doctor's fault. Well, they got it wrong AGAIN! My doctor told me that they have constant complaints from patients regarding Quest and had me get blood taken elsewhere. I had to get blood taken different times when it should have been once!

I called several Quest Diagnostics locations multiple times and the employees did not answer. The message went straight to voicemail after multiple calls and the mailbox was always full. I finally got in touch with someone and informed them that the online appointment scheduler does not work. It will not submit my request. They cut me off when I was speaking and gave me a number that I had ALSO previously called and was a broken landline. I could not get in touch with a single person. Bottom line, customer service is a disaster.

Nobody EVER answers the number at my local office, a real problem since I want to ask questions about the local office. The toll-free number is a rolling mess of a thing to get where you want. There's something wrong with their system today. The automated system recording was loud enough to be clearly understood but the operators were all especially quiet (phone system problem). They say JD Power might call me. I hope they do. I will leave a scathing review.

I'm sorry, national numbers are nice for businesses whose locations aren't intended to deal with customers face-to-face, but a MEDICAL service, I should be able to talk to the location I would be attending. THE ONLY THING I can say is that the two operators I spoke to nice and courteous. Looking at the other reviews here, and their barely one-star rating, I am glad I canceled my appointment.

I arrived at the Quest Lab in Milford, MA. I had signed in and also shown them my credentials. They drew about 5 vials of blood. I receive a call from the doctor that they did not receive the labs. It was determined that the Lab had entered my name incorrectly (it indicated I was a male). They did not complete the order and nor did they send it to the lab. There was no follow up at all. When I called their customer service yesterday I was told that they would communicate with the Quest lab in Milford MA on Water St. I'm still pending a response. I'm shocked that this company is still in business based on the complaints that I'm seeing. They seem to provide a needed service, but their lack of follow up and their procedures to resolve issues is seriously lacking.

I had lab work done at Quest labs in 2/17. I told the lab tech that my insurance policy had changed. She looked at my insurance card and said, "no it's the same number". When I received the EOB from insurance company, that had that it wouldn't pay anything. So I called Quest and told them the problem. The lady I talked to acted like I didn't know what I was talking about and made me read the whole EOB to her before she asked for the correct insurance policy number. When I gave it to her she stated "oh that's the problem. Your number is different"... well duh!! Next month I received a corrected bill but it didn't show the discount from the insurance company. I called Quest again and told them the problem. They asked me to fax them the correct EOB. I did.

Another bill came 1-2 weeks later. It didn't show any changes. Another phone call to QUEST to go through the whole problem again. She asked me again to fax the EOB. I did. 1-2 weeks later, another bill. You guessed it. Same problem. Now I'm getting bills every week. I got a past due bill as I hadn't paid on it till they straightened it up. I even emailed them and faxed the EOB again. Called them 6/5 and they said they'd send me out a bill showing that I had a zero balance as I had since paid them and they were showing that I had. Today, 6/12, I received a new bill with the original amount of the bill ($1000+), not showing the discounted amount, nor the $200 they charged my charge card, nor the balance I paid them.

What does a person need to do to get things taken care of. I have written an email to their patient advocacy person now as I'm tired of dealing with them. Thinking of hiring a lawyer for the continuous harassment receiving now. Does anyone at Quest know anything? Either they do and their company is running a scam by trying to get more money. Or they're dumb. But everyone I talked to on the phone was very courteous. We shall see. But if you can avoid it... avoid Quest labs like the plague.

I have been talking to Quest billing department for bloodwork test I was billed for that my doctor did not order. I told them to take it off my bill and they said they wouldn't unless my doctor called them and told them to do so. I called my doctor's nurse and she said it was never ordered and my file shows it was not ordered. She also gave me a copy of what was ordered. I told this to Quest and they said it must have been called in at a later time over the phone. I told this to my doctors nurse and she said they always fax with doctor's signature to them. It is also documented in file. When I told this to Quest they still refuse to take off my bill. I asked them for the proof since they should have a copy of the order from doctor, which they do not.

I noticed also Quest has made changes. They no longer have a girl up front that handles the insurance and billing and logging information into computer for patients and their blood draw technicians. They now have their technicians type the doctor's orders along with the codes into the computer before they can draw your blood. Believe me, it now takes forever. Is there a person in charge like Vice President of Quest that we can talk to that will listen to us. Quest billing doesn't seem to care. I am in Panama City, Florida. Bloodwork is sent to Tampa.

I have had the most horrible experience with Phoenixville, PA location. Constantly understaffed, requiring you to wait long periods of time or come back. I couldn't get anyone's attention even to just drop off a sample. Once I was able to drop off the sample, they lost it. We had to re-submit, and then they billed us again. I spoke to numerous people in customer service, including the manager of this location, and he denied that they lost the sample, was totally unsympathetic, and I continue to get bills for the re-test. I will NEVER EVER go to any Quest location again.

I use your office located on 13th St. In Jacksonville Beach, Fl. The lab tech who helped me today was **. Even though they were short handed, she was polite and professional and I didn't feel a thing.

I arrived with my son at 8:09 am to get blood work done before school. Although the building was open, the quest lab had no one available in reception until 8:30 am. The clipboard did not have a fresh sign in sheet prepared for the day. People were arriving early to get their labs done and I started a sign in sheet and placed it on their clipboard so that it would be clear what order patients arrived in. We stepped out for 15 minutes so my son could pick up lunch at Subway and when we returned at 8:25 am (before the lab was officially taking patients), the woman from Quest had removed our sign-in sheet and started a new sign-in sheet and had people sign in random order. She reprimanded me that we started a sign-in sheet (when she failed to provide one for the day!).

If this is Quest policy, not to have a sign in sheet prepared until the minute the lab opens for patients, it should change. A sign-in sheet should be available in the morning as patients arrive, not when the lab is ready to take the 1st patient at 8:30 am. We were the 1st ones to arrive and ended up 5th on the list after she caused the chaos. This was a very frustrating experience for us at Quest and my son did not have a chance to eat breakfast before school, after his labs, because we were 5th to be seen - instead of 1st, like we arrived. The patient names could have easily been transferred to her new sign-in sheet in the order that the patients arrived in, instead she chose to be spiteful. Extremely poor customer service. No wonder other Quest reviews reflect a 1-star rating out of 5-stars. It's time that Quest management implements more customer friendly policies and replaces the rude employees.

Over the past year, I have had 3 PSA blood test that came back high. The results of those scores brought several other types of costly scans and procedures. My Dr decided to have another lab test it because he could not find anything to be concerned about. The other lab came back with a perfect score, confirming what my Dr's diagnoses have been. Quest should pay for all the extra medical cost that I accrued because of their grossly misconstrued results. I am seeing that this is so typical of Quest labs.

On May 03, 2017 at 7:00 am I went to have blood test done at Flamingo and Pembroke Pines when an ** woman told me that I have a balance of $10.00. I offer to pay $10.00 when she told me that they don't take cash, I told her that bill was pay before and she keep saying they don't take cash and I have to leave. This is the first time a company refused to take money. I think this was a person with bad attitude problem and she don't know how to work with people.

I had to come in for additional blood tests for an enlarged uterus following a pap smear with my general doctor. I was well aware I only have the most basic insurance that qualifies me to not have to pay fees at yearly tax time. I asked the receptionist what the full cost of the test would be if my insurance would cover absolutely nothing on the test - she told me around $60. I take good care of myself so of course nothing bad came out of the blood test anyway - I only did it at all to give my SO peace of mind. Five long months after the test, I've been billed a ridiculous $1,109.35 for the test (not to mention almost $200 billed for the general blood tests I had done on my first visit there). I feel completely scammed - if I had known the actual costs for the test, I would have skipped out on it until I had proper insurance (which I do now, under Kaiser) and saved me over a thousand dollars. A WASTE OF TIME, MY BLOOD, AND MONEY.

My Nephrologist sent me for blood work to Quest on 01/30/2017 - on 03/09/2017 I was billed $141.68 which I paid right away. Today 04/01/2017 I received my Medicare statement for Dec 2016 - Feb 28, 2017 and Medicare was never billed for the Quest service. They are nothing but thieves.

On 10/17/2016 my insurance Aetna paid Quest for a bill and copay of $13.95 with a fund we have with Aetna. Quest continued to bill us for that amount, so we send Quest a billing proof of payment, they ignored it and continued to bill us. We reached to Aetna and they contacted them to confirm that we did not owe them any copay, billing just ignored that also and unlawfully billed our credit card with $13.95. Although multiple request have been made to Quest, Quest diagnostic does not recognize the contractual agreement they have with Aetna and just double bills insurance and patients.

Quest Diagnostics must be lacking staff to review labs. They state it will take about 3 days for results or up to a week for more complex analysis (in New York). You will wait for weeks for any report. My last blood work is a simple test that takes 24 hours and it's been 3 weeks. So if you're looking for quick results don't use Quest.

My experience with Quest Diagnostics has been horrible. They have not filed or followed through to help collect debt through my insurance carrier. It has been a battle all the way. I am just now paying final invoices from early 2016. No wonder insurance cost are so high. As one example, I was billed $1104.35 for lab work dated July 2016. I worked and worked to get this filed through the proper insurance process. They discounted the $1104.35 by $952.03 and then insurance paid $121.85, leaving me $30.47 to pay. So, if I happened to be a non-aggressive person and took things at face value, I would have paid over a $1,000 for nothing. This overstatement of cost incurred has occurred on every statement and invoice I have received from them. No wonder people are going broke and cannot pay medical cost and insurance prices have sky-rocketed. Who takes up for the consumer/patient? This process will frustrate you to no end!

I have to technician an order with a number to fax results to my doctor. It has been 6 days and knowing the results take 2 days. There is no reason my physician has not heard yet. I will write back if the results continue to delay.

Quest refused to speak with me and help me communicate any info to my doctor to help her receive my test results. They wouldn't give them to me directly which in part I understand but they also made my doctor jump through hoops to get the results which was detrimental to my health. They said they would fax the results and then sent them in another manner which took forever. I would have had tests done somewhere else had they communicated this. They must do this to many people because I was informed that they have a policy that they can hang up on you if you swear- must be a common occurrence to get people angry enough to swear at them that they had to implement a policy. DO NOT USE QUEST. They want nothing more than to make a quick buck and they are not concerned with patient health or timely results.

Pathology slides were sent to Quest Laboratories on 2/1/2017 because Blue Cross would not allow our cancer specialist to do testing needed to determining the type of melanoma cells involved in the metastatic melanoma I have. These tests are a matter of life and death because the results indicate what type of treatment a patient receives. On 2/16/17, Quest decided they could not do the complicated test and forwarded specimens to the Univ of Miami. As of today, March 3, 2017, Quest still cannot tell me where the tests are, nor the tests results, and have been extremely rude in every conversation I have had with them. My doctor has also repeatedly called both Quest and the Univ of Miami. He learned the test were even further delayed because Quest in Tampa initially failed to send to the Univ of Miami enough of the specimen for the tests to be completed, once again slowing the process.

TODAY, I CONTACTED, WITH THE HELP OF BLUE CROSS, THE UNIV OF MIAMI PATHOLOGY DEPT AFTER SEEING THEIR BILL ON BLUE CROSS website. It seems they sent the report several days ago to Quest but were glad to fax my doctor a copy. Quest had failed when sending the test request to the Univ of Miami to have the results faxed to my doctor, even though the order was marked "STAT," once more showing their disregard for life. And, again today Quest could tell me nothing, i.e., where the test was or give me any helpful information. Do not use Quest for any pathology or you will put your life at risk.

I am a retired orthopedic surgeon who had gone to a local Quest Diagnostics lab at 8501 Arlington Blvd suite 120 Fairfax Virginia Tele 703-205-9686 to have blood work drawn for a follow-up visit to a local cardiologist. I had been given a list of required laboratory test from a visit that had occurred over one year previous to this visit. I also had some symptoms consistent with enlargement of my prostate and wanted to add two tests to the battery of blood work test that I was going to get for this visit and was informed that I could not add additional tests to this doctors required test even though I was a legally license medical doctor which was greatly disturbing to me. Being nice I just acquiesced to this foolish unreasonable policy and they call my cardiologist who okay my additional requests for a urine analysis and PSA (blood test for prostate cancer).

This was drawn but I worried that they did not have the correct diagnostic codes (call ICD-10 codes) that should be associated with those two tests. The predicated outcome occurred when I suddenly got a bill from this lab for over $750 when all of my previous lab work was covered by Medicare and my secondary Tricare in the past. I even had reasons on my explanation of benefits from Tricare stating that Medicare had refused to pay for some of these tests because they were considered "unnecessary."

So I wanted to see if the correct codes had been utilized to justify tests that had been done over one year in the past and had been authorized to be paid by Medicare and met a huge roadblock. They would not confirm or deny that they had used the correct codes (which they had not I came to discover later). I could not have them check the codes utilized to see if they were correct. I was told that they could only get this information from my cardiologist and not me (though I am a license doctor!). It turned out that incorrect codes had been utilized and they sent in that information to Medicare and though my bill was reduced by 24 + dollars it still was large.

So I called again the billing department and this time when asked what codes had been utilized against each test they said that they did not have access to this information and that they could not get to that information (which was no a bold faced lie) which I did not appreciate since all medical billing systems have this type of information. Therefore a customer could not check to see if there had been mistakes in the utilization of these codes which could lead to nonpayment by an insurance company (this case Medicare).

They said I could not get that from them but would have to go to my primary insurance organization which in this case was Medicare who also will not give out this information except by mail and would mail be an "summary of benefits" which I am not sure would give me this type of detail. Medicare will always send a document back to the billing entity (this case Quest Diagnostics) with that detail called an "EOB" ("explanation of benefits"). In effect there was no way that a customer in this case even a doctor could find/discover a possible clerical error leading to a nonpayment of a test(s).

So two points of this complaint: 1. I consider it highly, highly unethical that there is no simple time saving way a customer could ever discover a legitimate billing error leading to nonpayment of a test by an insuring organization thereby sticking the customer with an illegitimate bill. In this case I was told a direct lie that this information cannot even be seen by a billing person so blatant dishonesty is now involved by this large organization. 2. Not even a doctor can order his own diagnostic test through this lab. Result: I will never go back to this lab again nor advise any patient to utilize this organization even though in my own practice I used previously Quest Diagnostics for over 20 years. It is amazing that this lab which is probably the largest in this country is so unethical in its business practices.

My new job send me for a drug screen. The place is clean and the 2 employees are doing more than enough, running around like a chicken without a head doing every thing from signing you in, taking your ID, making the labels, doing the correct tests and keeping everything under control without losing their cool. I had to wait 2 hours to do a urine test, which I was about to explode. I think Quest needs to do more hiring. Those tests are not cheap and people don't have the time to sit around for 2 hours and more for something that takes 15 or less. Shame on you Quest.

Quest Diagnostics Company Profile