1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 16, 2018

256 Quest Diagnostics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 16, 2018

Went to Quest for lab work in February. I was told that I had a balance - after I was sitting with the plastic band tight on my arm - and if I didn't pay the full amount, I can't get bloodwork done. I told the lady I have never received a bill. She didn't care. She told me she can't go further in the system unless I pay in full. I paid with my credit card. Didn't even get a statement in the mail, nothing to tell me what I just paid for. Fast forward less than 2 months later, I go to get follow up tests done. I am told I owe almost $200 and unless I paid right away, I can't get blood tests done. That's after waiting for 2 hours. I had to leave without having them done because I didn't have the full amount.

I offered to make a partial payment, despite not knowing what or why I owed, just I could get my tests done, they refused. Since it was the weekend, I waited and until Monday to call Billing. They admitted sending the invoices to an old address that I haven't used in 7 years. Despite making sure I confirm my address every time. The guy on the phone told it doesn't matter that they made a mistake, I still owe what I owe and that's my problem, not theirs. And unless I paid it, I will never receive service from Quest Diagnostics. I just don't get it. I am furious and Quest needs to be stopped with their practices. He told me that I will be sent to a collection agency for a bill that I never received and didn't know that I owed. And we, the consumers have nowhere and no one to report them to.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I went in for routine blood work. I had 11 vials taken. Blood draw was comfortable. A week later, I’m told a 4th gen HIB assay was performed, and I’m HIV +! They double checked and found RNA. I was devastated. So was my husband. I took a second test anyway. Negative! A third was also negative, and mysterious took 3 days to process. This week was a nightmare. All tests performed by Quest NorCal.

Get expert buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Billing issues, rec'd numerous bills and seems I have overpaid and unable to resolve issue. I have called with no resolve, also went to Derby location to try and get contact information, was given number to call and did. Was given address to send letter. Sent letter in Feb 2018, rec'd, called and was told still looking into matter and as of today 4/13/2018 I have not heard anything further. It's very frustrating that one has to go through hoops to try and resolve billing issues and make payments to Quest Diagnostic. I'm also receiving mail from collection agency when I feel I have overpaid and would like issue resolve. Quest Diagnostic needs to have better customer service, they are horrible. I have never experience any issues with payments with any other medical company.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This is terrible place. I went with my mom to the Rancho location. Waiting time was ok, but the customer service was terrible. Once we got into our room, the nurse kept babbling nonsense that we could barely understand and smacked a 203 dollar bill on her head. Just for a blood test. When we asked if insurance was going to cover it, she shot us a dirty look and said in a mocking voice, "I dont know". The actual blood test, she was very unsympathetic and seemed like she was rushing to do something else. Will rate negative If I could!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I had applied for 2 different jobs, at 2 different Companies. I had taken a UA prior to going to Orientation with Company of choice Loudon. I ended up going with the 2nd company on these circumstances: I showed up at Loudon's Terminal and took a second UA the moment I went through the door. I (along) with others were sent into the restroom to submit our specimens. The collector did not look at the temperature on "any" of the containers, we sat our specimens down on a table alongside of "what we" thought were our paperwork. The collector was very busy flirting with one of the Safety personnel to know what was going on. She pulled the labels off of our paperwork, sealed the containers then had us to initial the label prior to putting into the shipping bag {My initials are NA, Not MW first of all, I'll explain further down how I found this out}.

Both of the UAs I had taken were examined @ a Quest Lab. First one in Tennessee & second was sent to Daphne Alabama. First one came back as passed, I listed same meds I was taking on the second UA. The second UA in Question that was sent to Daphne Alabama. {1st UA was back in 3 days.} The second UA was taken on a Monday, and did not get the results back until the following Tuesday or Wednesday, 8 to 9 days "AFTER" the collector had taken them. I called numerous Quest Labs and was told, {I recorded the conversations} a sample must be tested within a certain time frame, between 24 to 32 hrs "after" it was given. The Urine will start to get bacteria, and any prolonged testing with a lot of meds inside of the urine will, "as" 2 of Quest's employees put it "start to ferment," and should not be tested. The individual should submit to another UA sample!

By the Doctor or Technician's own words He did not get around to testing my (supposedly) sample until the 5th day "after" it was collected, and he ask me why I put the initials M.W. on my label. I told him that I did not do this. He pretty much called me a "Liar!" I listed everything that my Family Doctor had prescribed, including ** which will give a positive negative for ** etc. He then stated that I need to find another Doctor, for mine had done nothing but make a "Molotov" Cocktail out of me.

I in return relayed this to my Family Practitioner, (Who is the best Doctor I've ever had) I also told the Tech that since it took so long to get my results back that I had taken the other job, and that I told Loudon that I had Not accepting job/ Quit as of the Friday prior, and reaffirmed on the following Monday, "prior" to the results coming back. By Rule if I do not work for this company, anything that transpires, (short of stealing etc) cannot be held against me "after" I Quit. Further I was sent the bill for the UA by Quest, the company did not pay for it. I am sole owner of the UA, {If it was ever mine to begin with} I was advised of a Medication that "I WAS NOT TAKING OR PRESCRIBED" by this so called Doctor or Tech.

Since I make my Living Driving a Semi, it would be "STUPID" of me or anyone to submit to a UA Knowing that they were dirty, or had been taking illegal Drugs. I was 61@ the time I had taken this UA, and had been taking "High Blood" pressure Meds for 2 years prior, also if I had been taking ** etc, why was my Blood Pressure 138/79? It would of been so high that I would of had a heart attack or stroke! {I had a DOT Physical during same time frame for Loudon} I have upper respiratory problems as it is, and I was just getting over the Flu during this time, and yes I was on a lot of Meds and Vitamins, But "ALL" had been prescribed, not brought off the streets.

There were other issues, stemming from this "Tech/Doctor," he did not know that I have to submit monthly a UA to my Family Doctor {I have a Statement from stating that in 3 years I've "PASSED ALL" of my UAs and never tested positive for illegal substances plus the fact of the matter is this "Idiot Tech/Doctor" who tested this UA should have known Quest's procedure in testing UAs in a timely manner}. Yet my Doctor is the incompetent one, along with the "other" Quest Lab who did the UA Prior to taking the 2nd @ Loudon's Office.

Protocol was "NOT" followed from start to finish, Collector failed in not having me match the label numbers to paperwork, then initial, and "I was the one to peel it off and place on VIAL, not the Collector." Plus I was the person who should of placed the Specimen into the shipping bag along with the paperwork, not the collector. The Lab in Daphne Alabama should be ashamed to call themselves competent enough to examine anything pertaining to a Human Being! Protocol was not followed there either, especially when Quest's guidelines and rules on chain of command were not followed, when it took 5 days to start examining a specimen, and 8 days plus to complete, not to mention the errors knowingly made.

My life is ruined because of their incompetence and mishandling of one simple UA that I own. A False report was made by Loudon/Purdy on my DAC Report and I cannot get a job driving a Wheelbarrow, "a Company that did not hire me," behind the results coming in "AFTER" I had Quit/Not taken the job, not to mention incorrect and Falsified information given by Quest Lab in Daphne Alabama. Wonder why now, Loudon does not send their UAs for new hires to Daphne, Ala. anymore? That's ODD! I have more information and statements made by this Tech/Doctor from this Lab that I recorded and thus he can't DENY! Give False Statements, & Not Handle Protocol and Policies YOUR EMPLOYER outlined for you to follow, and Ruin my Livelihood. In my opinion He could not "Shine a Bad Doctor's Shoes."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quest Diagnostics?

Original review: April 5, 2018

I got my blood work done at Quest in the first week of Nov. in 2017. Now it is the first week of April 2018 and I still have not received my results. I have called in several times, created an account but there is no way to actually get my results. The results were sent to my employer's insurance company but I have no way to see them myself. Their website shows no report under my account. It has been a very frustrating experience for me. I have filled their online question option and made several requests but nobody answers back to me with any solutions to my concerns. This lab has a customer service that is a joke.

Original review: March 15, 2018

After being told (four different times) meaning I went to quest (four different times) that my doctor DID not fax over my script for bloodwork... I finally refused to leave the lab and lo and behold...after 20 minutes they found my faxed script. I called Quest headquarters one week ago and they were to call the supervisor at my lab in Hamburg, New York on Commerce Drive and have that supervisor phone me to let me know why (four) different times I was told my script was not there. My doctor's office faxed it (four different) times. To still not hear about my formal complaint (which I had to call headquarters again today, only to get headquarters supervisor’s voicemail, because he (Scott) was not in. Something should be done about the disorganization at that location. Sent home three different times...absolutely unacceptable. My doctor's office should get a formal apology and I should be informed of why (after four times) my script was not found.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Unfortunately I am required by my insurance company to use Quest Diagnostics for all my laboratory testing as they are contracted with them. There has never been a day that Quest has not sent me a bill for services stating it is patient due, all insurance info was provided to them with copy of insurance card, never once have they submitted any claim correctly, whether this was intentional or not is a good question. Each time I either called them or went to their website and provided once again all insurance info to once again receive a bill in the mail stating balance is patient due, it usually takes about 1 year to get the claim rectified.

Do they do this in hopes the patient gets frustrated enough and then just pays the bill so their credit isn't ruined? Possibly. I have called my insurance company to inform them of these questionable billing practices Quest Diagnostics practices so possibly they can reconsider their contract with this laboratory. Do I really think my complaints will be addressed? Probably not, more than likely Quest will continue these questionable billing practices and sadly they will probably receive money from poor hard working patients and from the insurance company, that's a win-win situation for Quest.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have had to use Quest for a number of years. I have always had a bad experience from a customer service context. One time they abused my 90 year old father and made him wait hours for a test. For myself they have always been rude and inconsiderate. On one instance they referred me to a collection agency weeks after my insurance company sent them an EOB showing the entire bill paid. Often the girls that take blood are fine but not always. The entire system is corrupt. Needs to be dropped by carriers until they improve. You are forced to use them in spite of their deficiency.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Went to have lab work done on 2/7/2018 and they took my orders and took my blood and never got a report and they lost everything again. This has been done many times with them. This company has serious issues with the techs. Where's my blood samples.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I dropped off a sample per my doctor's directions at Quest as it’s the lab my insurance tells me to use. I was shocked when I got my bill that insurance hadn’t covered $481 because they said it was experimental because Quest used the wrong code. I called Quest several times to work with them to have insurance cover it by changing to the correct code. Each time I called I asked for them to change the due date to allow for insurance to process the claim. The first bill was due on January 2 but they pushed the due date back to February 10. On February 9 I got a call from a collection agency harassing me for not paying the bill. I was stunned because I had just called Quest two days earlier to check in and make sure things were being adjusted to allow for my insurance to process the claim.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have not taken ** for over three weeks prior to my pre employment drug screen for insomnia. I take ** instead of OTC sleep meds because OTC has so many side effects and ** is legal in my state. I was nervous about the test so I had other interviews and great jobs lined up. I went on Quest Diagnostics website where it stated UP TO 72 hours to complete and processes a drug screen. After not hearing anything and being offered the job 6 days after I tested and scheduled for orientation on the 7th day. I told my backup pending jobs that I was not interested obviously assuming my drug test was passed. After working for an entire week found out I failed for **. Now unemployed and have no backup. Would have never made the decision I made if not for the false information given by Quest Diagnostics.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Terrible experience! Never got my results from them- login never worked (even though I signed up)...urgently needed my results for a further test I needed to do but nobody gave a **! Even after calling, e-mailing them... The only thing that worked when they sent me my bill for over 2000.00 usd- and there they were very professional. I don't understand why results have to go over this unprofessional Quest Diagnostics? Can we not talk to our doctors anymore to get results? Try to avoid the lab in any case if you can! Choose doctors who will not work with this setup. I am serious- keep away from them- it will save you lots of money and nerves. After reading all the others comments too I really don't understand why they are still on the market...

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I'm 69 year old ** female. Went (Quest Diagnostics 21 hospital dr) Friday Feb 2, 2018 to get my blood work. I checked in. My name showed up on the board then they call someone else's name. l told the lady I was next. She said, "What's your name?" I told her and she took the other lady and left. She came back. I asked her would check what going. She yelling that she didn't have time for this **. I asked for the manager. She said she was, I said, "I don't know what do." I was crying by now. I was so upset I left. This happen in front of about 15 customers. I wish I got the name of the lady that was sitting by me. She was trying to tell that I was next also. She needs to be taught some customers service matters. I went over to LabCorp. Nice, polite, they know how to treat the public.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I went to have lab work done and they told me I had 2 outstanding balances from the month before both for $5.42. Would I like to take care of them. I said yes and gave them my bank card. They held my cc info and three weeks later charged another $322 for new blood work. When I called billing they said that when I made the previous payment that gave them permission to charge my account. I would have never authorized them to charge my bank card as I have a health savings card for large medical bills/copays. She would not refund the money and said I had to produce paperwork from that day. However, they didn’t give me any paperwork. I signed their little handheld computer authorizing both charged for $5.42 but, never did I say hold my cc info for later. Very unethical!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

The fact that they don't have a single human being answering phones is absolutely ridiculous. They pulled billions of dollars in revenue. When I called their customer support through a number I found online on another review... the lady was rude and just transferred me to their automated system instead of helping me. She said the reason they don't have people answering phone calls is because they don't have anyone calling in. Well no crap! If you don't have phone numbers to call, people can't call. What stupid people and what a terrible business.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have gone to Quest Diagnostics on my doctor's recommendations since 2006. In that time I have had close to a million dollars in work performed by hospitals, clinics, and Quest labs. I have the entire time experienced with Quest only incorrect billing of my insurance on a consistent basis the entire time. I have multiple insurance overages. Quest not only billed my insurance companies but they, each time, have billed me forcing me to either pay the invoice or contact them to get it straightened out. This appears to be systemic with their billing practices. No other medical provider do I have this problem with. Now I am getting collection notices for bills that they were supposed to correct after alerting Quest that they had failed to bill it correctly. They refuse to correct the situation that they created causing me financial hardship and ongoing stress. With regard to the star rating if I could choose negative stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I fasted and arrived on January 18, 2018 to get my blood and urine tested. Even though I provided my Medicare and Horizon BCBS cards, I was asked to provide my credit card no. before services could be provided. I called my husband to report what happened and he agreed that I should not give Quest our credit card no. I have never been required to provide a credit card before lab work could be provided. I declined and left. When I exited the Quest office, I spoke to a patient who arrived before I did and asked her if she had to provide a credit card no. and she said no. She said she would never give out her credit card no.

When I got home, I tried three times to reach someone at Quest to give me the policy in NJ for collecting payment. I was unable to reach anyone by phone or on the internet. I don't know if what happened to me yesterday was a ** thing or actual policy. I received an email from Quest asking how my experience was at Quest. I reported what happened to me and informed them that I was going to report my experience to Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I had an Appointment for 11 am. Showed about 20 mins early. Was told They would NOT do my Labs because my Doctor had 2 forms. They CLAIMED they could not reach my Doctor's office. I went across the Highway and they WERE there. I returned to get my aforementioned Lab Drawn. NO WAY!!!! I would NOW have to wait until the Office Cleared of about 20 more who didn't necessarily even have Appointments. I am having a Cancerous Kidney Removed and needless to say I tire VERY Easily. The Lab Employees didn't Consider anything and were haughty basically saying TOUGH. I left. I wasn't about to have these people Stick me. They may even rip a hole in my arm.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

When drawing the blood; they decided to eliminate one of the tests the doctor ordered. Then the doctor never received the results. The company will not respond to phone calls, emails by myself and doctor, fax requests by doctor and the online test results are not available. Very disappointing company, Very Very BAD!!! I will never frequent again. Waste of time.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have order from Doctor to do some test. Test is very important and time consuming in my condition. Doctor provided the test Coding in order to request price info from Quest. Twice I called to Quest and provided the codes. They refuse to give price. In answer I got also advise, "You will get bill and it will tell you how much". I am sure girl on phone read it from screen as one of texts to turn down customers. Meanwhile Doctors scare us with unclear species in our bodies which needs to be tested, refer your tests to Quest Diagnostics, they play dummy through operators and speculate on our fear of death to do whatever they say and pay whatever they charge without control.

Insurance stay on side as Doctor took it too slow and cut you off from reached Deductible and requested test in new Benefit range year where deductible became even higher. In this circle Hospital/Clinic, Quest Diagnostics I think they not even care to bill to Insurance. They pushing around customer and targeting them finance directly as easy to get. You know: fear of death, medical condition, threatens over phone, bills, collectors and refuse to provide service with outstanding bills. Only way to stop the crime is to look for Hospitals/Clinics which has them own Labs.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have expressed my concerns to Quest labs directly via email and was ignored. As a requirement of my insurance plan, I have to have my labs drawn at Quest in order for them to be paid for. I have gone to my local lab many times over the past couple of years and have encountered numerous HIPPA violations and, most recently, endured a lab error that caused a great deal of anxiety over incorrect results. On each occasion I have visited my local lab, specimens from other patients are sitting out within reach, usually with the associated lab orders with them so that I can see the names of the patients.

On one occasion, the nurse came out into the waiting room, called a patient's name and then proceeded to ask him, in front of everyone else there, what test he was there for!!! I wrote of this to the company and completed a survey on their website but I've never been contacted. I have let my prescribing healthcare provider know of the conditions there and nothing has been done. I can only assume that the company at large does not care how their labs are being run.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Every, I mean every time I use Quest I get an outrageous bill even though I have Medicare and BlueCross as my secondary provider. Quest is intent on only billing Medicare. They refuse to bill BlueCross telling me to do so myself. I asked for a dispute phone number and they want me to do their job and contact Medicare for procedures I never requested. It's like if I take my car to the mechanic for an oil change and they install a engine instead and bill me telling me I signed an agreement to pay the claims that were denied. This company needs to be on the T.V show "American Greed".

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Horrible, horrible, horrible customer services. As a physician if you attempt to call you go through a long series of prompt to be put in a queue on hold then the call suddenly disconnects. This not only wastes time, but you don't what you need. Oh, and then there's the dysfunctional Quest Connect self serve. I have complained numerous times to the local rep, but Quest does not care and does not improve. Quest is run by a bunch of **.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

This company is such a rip-off and I see that other reviewers have said the same thing - no matter what the insurance has paid, they will bill for things that they shouldn't and when you call them to discuss, they claim they are not medically trained and cannot explain the charges they are billing you for. I fail to see why I should pay for something the insurance co./Medicare says the doctor did not order and they cannot even explain. We will try and make sure we have tests done elsewhere in the future. I would give them negative stars if possible.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I take my toddlers boy to this place to have a routine blood test and the lady who make the test take so long to find the vein and my poor child crying and screaming and I feel so sad and frustrated but this is not the deal. The thing was at the end when she finish she said that we need to do the exam again because is clot in the blood that he extracted and she also scratched with the nails my child arm. OMG. When I see this and hear what she is telling me I feel so mad that I reply, "No I don't want to do this again to my child". And I leave this place almost crying and I write this review to let people know this place is unprofessional and unsatisfactory dealing with children.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

No matter how you pay, at the doctor, with insurance, without, with credit card. One thing is for sure, Quest Diagnostics WILL send you a bill, regardless if you have paid for it, insurance covered it - it does not matter. These greedy PIGS will always send you a bill for either the same amount or more, something ridiculous like $149 for an A1C test and claim it’s YOUR responsibility of the bill. Even though your insurance already paid $100 for this $25 test. GREEDY PIGS. Then, they will send you to collection and chase you until the end of time.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I am here for some critical tests. Apparently I owed them $33 a year ago. I never got a bill and I was living at my mother's house at the time period. I called her up to ask her if she received a bill and she confirmed that we never did. They sent this $33 to collections and it will go against my credit. This mystery bill will hinder my chances of getting houses, cars, other things in the future. They also denied my treatment and testing because of this. They forced me to pay this $33 to get these critical tests on which dampers my chances of negotiating anything being taken off of my credit.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

This company has no desire whatsoever to provide a good experience for the customer. It's a very long wait to actually speak with a person in customer service and practically impossible to get through to a local location. When I arrived, I asked the receptionist if she could verify that they received the blood work order fax from my doctor's office. She said I would have to wait until she checked me in. I politely pointed out that by then it would be too late to ask the doctor's office to fax it again. She still said I would have to wait. She was not busy at the time, and the fax machine was right behind her! Just plain lazy, and rude to top it off. It was as if she took pleasure in being difficult.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Due to a rare genetic condition, both my son and I require frequent, almost weekly, blood and/or urinary tests and monitoring. When given a choice by the ordering physician, I always have the blood drawn (or urinalysis) at LabCorp. (I am NOT associated with LabCorp in in ANYWAY) If I may elaborate further. Quest has the audacity to charge customers $10 to access reports online through the patient portal. This is absolutely ludicrous. LabCorp provides anywhere, anytime, secure access to results on my mobile or desktop in easy to understand visualizations that virtually anyone should be able to understand. More importantly, this service is of no additional charge to their customers.

I've also noticed a significant deterioration in the quality of customer services (i.e., professionalism, timeliness, friendliness) at Quest facilities in the Alpharetta and Johns Creek GA. You no longer have staff to greet, sign-in and answer questions for arriving patients and phlebotomists serve this duty along with the clinical activities required. Ninety percent of the time (or more) the front desk at one office in Alpharetta is unmanned and clients must wait in hopes of a phlebotomists coming to the front to call back the next patient. It seems to me with the amount of money Quest is saving by not having someone at the front desk they can at least allow patient free access to their online medical records. I could not believe it when I logged in to download my results!!

The wait times are horrible, even when you have a pre-scheduled appointment. It seems the waiting room is always crowded and the facilities are short staffed regardless of the location. The staff are so busy I don't blame them if they are 'short' or stress once you finally get called to see them. I do recommend Quest take a look at their business strategy - having less staff is definitely taking a toll on their overall performance.

Quest Diagnostics Company Information