1.01/5

Madison, NJ

282 Quest Diagnostics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had appointment at 11:45am but arrived 10:20am in hopes of getting in a little earlier due to my busy schedule. I thought that way I was covered with my guaranteed appointment time or earlier as a walk in and I thought their schedule takes arrival time into consideration. NOPE! To my dismay I kept getting bumped back by walk ins (not patients with appts). Several walk ins came in AFTER me and they were seen AHEAD of me. Also at 11:40am a patient with the same appointment time of mine (11:45am) came in and she was seen before me! When she signed in, her name got put on the monitor before mine even though I had been waiting over an hour and 20 minutes. She was called back about 11:47 and they didn't call me until 12:06pm. The one positive thing I have to say is the person taking my blood did a good job and only had to jab me once.

Quest must be trying to cut back on personnel and expenses because they don't even have a person at the front desk. If you have a question there is nobody to ask. Several (elderly) people made a special trip in trying to made a future appt and there was nobody to help them. Also, while I was waiting (over 1 1/2 hours) I noticed several people trying to drop off specimens and did not know what to do since there was nobody to ask. So eventually they realized they had to log in the computer system and wait as a walk-in. If they were lucky to catch someone when workers came out to call the next person sometimes they got bumped to the top of the list.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My over inflated bill for a blood panel as a wellness visit is well over a year now. Making partial payments with no help. I see that the payment online has the wrong insurance carrier and I had to question who they billed to. Just got an email back again with no answer. It is the typical nonanswer to my simple question. Avoidance!!!

Get expert buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have been dealing with Quest for over a year. They will not send the claim to my insurance company. I have sent them copies of my cards, handwritten the claim address in big print, called them several times and had to be on hold for 45 minutes or more. They take the information and never send the claim. Now they have sent me to collections - without even ever filing the claim! I have been in medical billing and the healthcare industry for years, and this is the most negligent incompetent company I have ever dealt with. Now it will be past timely filing since it has been a year and 5 months since the date of service. I don't mind paying what is owed, but I pay for my insurance so it will cover services. Any suggestions on who to contact to report this terrible company? Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Horrible! Calling to get help with bills is always painful. Their billing costs are ridiculously high and NEVER pay a bill unless you call and make sure you are being charged the correct amount. I cannot tell you how many times I have paid only to realize they charged the wrong amount, it wasn't coded correctly, and even told me I have no insurance when it was really their issue with the billing. It is painful and if I had a choice I would NEVER use this lab. NEVER pay the first bill, ALWAYS call and don't make the mistake I have paying in trust the bill is correct-it NEVER is.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My Gastroenterologist prescribed a Vit D test and Medicare did not cover cost. I was charged $241 for this test. I googled cost for this test and found tests for $40 to $70 locally. Quest OVERCHARGED me for this test. They should wear a ski mask when robbing people with these exorbitant charges.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quest Diagnostics?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I called regarding an issue that I had and the representative was very rude. She was laughing at my accent and even had to put me on hold so she can joke about it to someone. I don't understanding how come a big corporation like Quest could have IGNORANT like this working there. A language doesn't mean that you're smart. It's just a medium of communication. DUMB IGNORANT.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

This company have the worse customer service (if is real they have a customer service department). Never answer phone calls, emails or request from the mobile app. My samples was lost twice and damaged twice. They don’t care about people health is just money. Please avoid use if you like to be trapped on a never ending road.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have waited 7 days for a thyroid lab test which takes in-house labs 24 hours to complete. Unfortunately I switched insurance companies and I no longer have a choice. I remember Labcorp to be much faster as well. If anyone has a thyroid issue you understand the necessity for quick results in order to adjust medication.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I am now paying a collections company because Quest cannot get the correct information over to the plan manager, Healthsmart for Cigna Insurance. Dealing with Quest has been a mind numbing experience - they are completely incompetent, lazy and assume no responsibility for not being able to properly file a claim with my carrier. I've been trying to resolve this issue for over a year.

Quest says they've filed a claim, Healthsmart and Cigna have never received a claim. If they had received a claim and it was denied, I would have received an EOB or explanation of benefits stating my claim was turn down. Instead, Quest bullies its customers into paying cash because their billing department is too lazy or incompetent to follow up with the insurance carrier or plan manager to have the claim paid for by them. This same issue occurred in 2009 when my wife had blood work done during her pregnancy. It took a year to get Quest to correct the billing code and file the claim correctly. I will never use Quest again. If a doctor says I can only use Quest. I will find a new doctor. It's a shame and ridiculous that I pay over 12,000 dollars a year for medical insurance (that I barely use) and cannot get a 250 dollar bill paid because the provider is too lazy to care.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My blood work was done on Thursday, August 23, 2018. I was told my results would be ready in no more than 7 days. These are thyroid test and I have been very ill. My doctor cannot adjust my medication without these results. Website says if you have not received your results in a week email Customer Service and they will get back to you within 48 hours. A week passed. No results. On August 30, 2018 I emailed Customer Service. 48 hours passed, no customer service, no results. Now it has almost been 14 days! I am very sick. No results! No contact from Customer Service. I told my husband if I die I want him to sue Quest Diagnostics for negligence. This is ridiculous! I am calling corporate headquarters tomorrow. I will use LabCorp from now on.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

My insurance only lets me use Quest Diagnostics. I made an appointment for a biometric screening (paid for by my employer) and for doctor ordered blood work. When I arrived, the phlebotomist took back for the test. She said she only had paperwork for the biometric screening, nothing else. I asked her to look again and she found the doctor's orders and was snippy and not apologetic. Then she said it would be $200 and how would I like to pay. I told her Quest could send me the bill, like they always do, because after Insurance makes their payment and adjustment I know it will not be $200. She told me that she could not draw my blood unless I gave her my credit card number. She treated me like I was some criminal trying to steal services from Quest.

The last time I gave Quest my credit card number my account got compromised and someone used my card to buy alcohol and hair products all over town within a week of me giving them my card. I will never give them my card again. When I told her I would not give her my card, she said that's fine and proceeded to do the blood work for the company-paid biometric screening. She stabbed me in my vein so hard and then put tape around my arm so tight that I have bruises all over now. I will NEVER go to Quest again. I don't know how they get away with treating people like this. The Phlebotomist should not be bill collectors, they should just be collecting blood.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Absolutely horrible, unprofessional, unacceptable experience at this facility in Orlando on 8-4-18. I had the most horrible experience at this facility when I had gone to deliver my specimen. The staff especially one lady by the name of Sheba is extremely rude, arrogant, racist, unprofessional and should not be allowed to work at this facility. Being a handicap patient this is totally unacceptable and this lady should not be working at this facility.

I am a physician and would never send my Patients, colleagues, family members to be treated this way. They are very unknowledgeable, rude and arrogant. This is a reportable act especially cheating a handicap person in this way. The staff there is not knowledgeable and has double standards. Please do not send anybody at this facility till it has changed. Usually in most of the time I’m a very tolerant patient and physician and I have never written such a review before but I think it needs attention So that other patients are not treated in a similar manner. Thank you.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have been using Quest Diagnostic for years and have never had a similar problem to this. I use them only because my specialist is part of a local hospital's specialty practice and requires them to use Quest. Last month I received a bill for 8 tests, 2 of which they said Medicare would not cover. I also have a secondary policy that covers any valid charges that Medicare does not cover and all co-pays. The bill for the 8 tests was for $843, of which Medicare paid for 6 ($62.78 -- writing off $522 as over the contracted amount). They want me to pay $238 for the two additional tests (Medicare rate is less than $20 per test). In addition, they have refused to submit the bill to Blue Cross (confirmed).

"Renee" told me that it is company policy that if Medicare doesn't pay that they expect me to pay the full amount. I got the Doctor to resubmit the diagnosis codes but apparently that wasn't enough. They apparently not resubmitted the claim either to Medicare, and Blue Cross just told me they have not seen it at all. Simple math says that Medicare paid 14% of what they charged, which matches other data readily available. I'm still fighting it but I shouldn't have to fight -- I'm diabetic who just had an emergency diabetes related hospital visit who has just been diagnosed with neuropathy. Checking my B-12 and Folic Acid levels would be a critical factor in discovering why I fall so much. But what do I know, "I'm just a 'dumb country preacher.'"

Original review: July 25, 2018

My daughter has had to retest because they claim to have forgotten to take 1 test. I had to retest for the same thing, and now my son has been waiting for over a week to start a job because Quest has not contacted employer with results of urinalysis, and will not even let us know if they have processed it. This is ridiculous! This company really stinks. I never have this problem with LabCorp. They don't even have a receptionist anymore, just a bunch of chairs and 3 tablets to sign in. There is no accountability whatsoever!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Worst wait for customer service- I was on phone for 40 minutes waiting for CS only to be cut off. I discovered later that this is Quest mode of operation. I am turning 65 and have a choice and will never use this company. Spend some money and get additional help like your competition. Never have I had to wait this long. My day can't stop because of poor service.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I get my results finally but, I didn't understand how the test had a negative reading when I was sure that it would be a "positive". Either way, I gave them a call and there isn't anybody on the other side. It just kept ringing and ringing. It was so frustrating. I called the # from the test result page stating call with questions, if you got them. I hung up. I called again later and again it just rang. Attempt #3 - it rang way too many times for a call service when someone is expected to answer.

Well, finally someone did. I was in shock and disbelief. She introduced the company as QD and then herself and asked what she could do for me..? I told her. She listened. She acted as if she was going to help me with my problem but, then she asked if I was the dr. or one of his staff? I said,"Neither" - I'm the patient. She put me on hold and... that was that. The phone went silent. She had hung up the phone. How rude. Not once but twice. I called right back. I went through the same drawn out steps as the first phone call as I did with the 2nd.

When I finally got through to an actual live person. I explained the situation, told her what had just happened and she said and did this -- "We don't talk to the patients. We talk to the dr." and hung up the phone. That's how I knew that she hung up the phone on the 1st call... I was prepared for giving her the benefit of the doubt but, when she hung up the 2nd time, it just confirmed the 1st time. Does anybody teach their employees good customer service skills, anymore, if so, do you survey them or review them to make sure that they're adhering to co. policy? It's rude and unacceptable and it should stop!! Company people should remember this regardless of what a company sales, makes, services... it's all employee run or robotic. My attention is for the employees.

A company is nothing without the consumer. If the co. can't keep the consumer happy due to the co. employees' behavior or qualifications are lacking, I would think as a co. that it would matter more to you that the consumer, that's floating your boat, is happy... hence checking your employees skills, retraining, or firing of such. There are too many qualified, unemployed people out there that would just love to have a job and love doing it well too, according to the co. policy. I'm going back to where I was treated better...

Original review: June 28, 2018

The lady technician assigned to me was mumbling throughout her work on a computer and even through to the blood drawing. She had to get a supervisor to enter the orders from my Dr. as she clearly could not do the computer work. Then after the computer work got done, the lady technician mumbled about how many tubes my Doctor had requested and made a comment about "something must be really be going on with you". Then she started my stick... And even though I have a huge vein in my arm that has never been a problem for blood drawers over the years (I am 72 and have had lots of surgeries and tons of blood drawing), the stick hurt and she moved the needle around a few times until finally when changing tubes the stick really hurt and I jumped. Blood flew everywhere and she began saying out loud "you pulled back... This is your fault." I 100% disagreed and told her I wanted someone else immediately.

I did let the next male technician proceed with the other arm after stopping the blood from spurting in my left arm. He seemed reasonably experienced and said he had 5 years worth. So, I let him complete the blood draw and he was reasonably good at it. The lady technician was clearly "a fish out of water..." She had no idea what to do and no apparent ability. I cannot believe that she was hired by this company to do such an important job and yet she seemed to have no good skills at it whatsoever. I would NEVER recommend QUEST to anyone and I will NOT go back there ever again. I have probably had thousands of blood draws over my lifetime and, yes, a few were not so pleasant or perfect. But, this one wins the contest for most ridiculous and incompetent blood draw of my lifetime. QUEST is responsible and something needs to be done about such incompetence.

Original review: June 19, 2018

MISMANAGEMENT and LACK OF ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE. I have never ever seen a big company so mismanaged. You are unable to get to a real person no matter how many Quest numbers you call or how long you wait. All you get is a digital-run-around. After 265 HORRIBLE/POOR reviews plus you would think the company would take some action to address the problem. I'm done. I have insurance and there are other labs I can go to. Their treatment of customers is unacceptable.

Original review: June 6, 2018

First time at 3233 Foothill Blvd, La Crescenta, CA 91214-2636. I took my sons to gets his blood lab. done. Two different doctors, primary and specialist. There were repeat test, which at the regular office we go, never repeat. First because the insurance won't cover them and secondly because since the primary was asking for them, they can send the results to the specialist. Well, I trust the woman there to do that, but she didn't. Instead she drew 14 large tubes of blood from my son who, I found rolling his eye over in the chair, with his head falling to the side of the chair. And she was not doing anything, just left him there. I panic and I tried to revive him, she told me, "It’s nothing, but if you want buy some water outside, in Vons", as the office is inside Vons.

I run out and got him Orange Juice, because as a nursing students I learned the basics and my son was going into shock. I was able to get him stable. All through this time all that woman did was argue with. Did nothing to try to help. All she said, was, “Why did you have him not eat anything." The orders was him to fast for 12 hours. Yet still her knowing he had not eat for 12 hours, she went ahead and drew that much blood. And all she wanted was me to give him water, when his eyes were rolling behind his eyes and he was going to shock. If I did not know better, my son would be dead.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Quest kept re-billing me and requesting insurance information which I kept resubmitting. After being threatened with a collection agency, with many phone calls to Quest and much time on hold, I eventually found out that the problem was missing diagnostic codes from the doctor's office. Quest refused to fax the claim to the doctor or to me. I asked for a supervisor, was on hold a long time, eventually got an answering machine. Left a message and never received a call back. Finally my doctor's office took pity on me and is trying to resolve the situation directly. Quest - BOO! THE WORST!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Failed to run all but 2 of my CBC panel. Lied to me about it. Offered to send an in-home phlebotomist to re-draw my blood (While fasting, as required). NEVER SHOWED UP. I complain, they apologize and promise to send someone. New excuse is doctor won't authorize a new blood draw. Absolute deceitful and incompetently managed company. Calling customer service is a joke. The "senior" rep was worthless, making many promises and delivering on none. So, now I have no accurate blood work completed. Go to any other lab if you can. You will be thoroughly jerked around with these criminals.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Doctor was faxing orders to local Quest (64152), called them on numerous occasions leaving a message as advised in phone loop. No one returned calls. Called the main number in NJ, was advised the supervisor would return my call. That NEVER happened. So I made the trip back to doctor's office for original paperwork. Once there the employee had NO IDEA how to bill. Did not know billing codes - even though the doctor had to place orders? Right? Anyway look at the billing sheet provided, called insurance to confirm as I should only have a copay only to find out that the codes used are not codes? Now I'm trying to get a hold of anyone either the 800#'s, local, regional, etc. Finally spoke to a human and was told that I would receive a call within the hour by Shannon? Wish doctors could see reviews of labs before paperwork is written up. This is beyond a joke at this point!!!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I must agree with the comments on billing. I received a bill that my insurance company has already paid in full. I've tried calling Quest but as stated previously, it goes in a loop with automated messages. It's total garbage. I now am on hold with my insurance company as they try to resolve this problem.

Original review: April 30, 2018

They charged me for a test I refused. Have spent hours trying to fix this problem. Their phone system is deviously set up as a loop so you will never get a person on the line. have spent at least 2 hours playing their phone games. Once finally figuring out how to get beyond the loop, I was on hold for 40 minutes and finally gave up. Tried again several times. I emailed them on their website - no reply. Today I got a person after 12 minutes on hold. She said there was nothing I could do to stop their threat of collections other than pay it. And there was no one else I could speak to. Also their phlebotomist who works Quest’s satellite location in my doctor’s office is rude and interferes with the doctor’s staff.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My whole family have used Quest Diagnostics for at least 8 years. However, we are finding that the customer service is declining substantially. We are not getting our lab results, sent to our patient portal, in a timely fashion. When I call to try to discuss with them all I get is a digital-run-around. Once I land on a selected answering location, then I am on hold for 20 to 45 minutes. After I listen to "Thanks for calling Quest Diagnostics..." for over 30 times, someone finally wakes up and answers the phone. Then when I get a live person either they don't know anything about my question or they have to refer me to another location in Quest.

Recently, I talked to someone in Philadelphia, then Kansas, When they do that I find I am now starting over in the recording "Thanks for calling Quest..." and so it continues. Anyway, we are now looking at using LabCorp or someone else. They have lost my family's business and You should do the also look elsewhere for your lab work.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Problems are not resolve timely. 16 days still waiting. Improper handling of specimens. Suggest if you can go to a reputable lab that has good support do it. Not sure why certain physicians demand you go to Quest even though your insurance allows you to go elsewhere, seems like some type of arrangement. Will look into this!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Went to Quest for lab work in February. I was told that I had a balance - after I was sitting with the plastic band tight on my arm - and if I didn't pay the full amount, I can't get bloodwork done. I told the lady I have never received a bill. She didn't care. She told me she can't go further in the system unless I pay in full. I paid with my credit card. Didn't even get a statement in the mail, nothing to tell me what I just paid for. Fast forward less than 2 months later, I go to get follow up tests done. I am told I owe almost $200 and unless I paid right away, I can't get blood tests done. That's after waiting for 2 hours. I had to leave without having them done because I didn't have the full amount.

I offered to make a partial payment, despite not knowing what or why I owed, just I could get my tests done, they refused. Since it was the weekend, I waited and until Monday to call Billing. They admitted sending the invoices to an old address that I haven't used in 7 years. Despite making sure I confirm my address every time. The guy on the phone told it doesn't matter that they made a mistake, I still owe what I owe and that's my problem, not theirs. And unless I paid it, I will never receive service from Quest Diagnostics. I just don't get it. I am furious and Quest needs to be stopped with their practices. He told me that I will be sent to a collection agency for a bill that I never received and didn't know that I owed. And we, the consumers have nowhere and no one to report them to.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I went in for routine blood work. I had 11 vials taken. Blood draw was comfortable. A week later, I’m told a 4th gen HIB assay was performed, and I’m HIV +! They double checked and found RNA. I was devastated. So was my husband. I took a second test anyway. Negative! A third was also negative, and mysterious took 3 days to process. This week was a nightmare. All tests performed by Quest NorCal.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Billing issues, rec'd numerous bills and seems I have overpaid and unable to resolve issue. I have called with no resolve, also went to Derby location to try and get contact information, was given number to call and did. Was given address to send letter. Sent letter in Feb 2018, rec'd, called and was told still looking into matter and as of today 4/13/2018 I have not heard anything further. It's very frustrating that one has to go through hoops to try and resolve billing issues and make payments to Quest Diagnostic. I'm also receiving mail from collection agency when I feel I have overpaid and would like issue resolve. Quest Diagnostic needs to have better customer service, they are horrible. I have never experience any issues with payments with any other medical company.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This is terrible place. I went with my mom to the Rancho location. Waiting time was ok, but the customer service was terrible. Once we got into our room, the nurse kept babbling nonsense that we could barely understand and smacked a 203 dollar bill on her head. Just for a blood test. When we asked if insurance was going to cover it, she shot us a dirty look and said in a mocking voice, "I dont know". The actual blood test, she was very unsympathetic and seemed like she was rushing to do something else. Will rate negative If I could!

Quest Diagnostics Company Information