2.25/5
Based on 60 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a good hearing aid?

Phonak Hearing Aids

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

60 Phonak Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Just received new Audeo B-13 aids today from VA Phoenix. Problem began with unprotected exposure to aircraft engine noise and many flight hours. Now at 74, I decided to do something about my inability to hold a conversation without "huh?" every few sentences. Exam four weeks ago and installation today. So far, I love my new hearing. I've read the preceding reviews, so right now it's a wait and see game. I am also impressed with the volume controls on each earpiece receiver. The audiologists at VA are great. I am 200 miles from Phoenix, but telemed worked real well with minimal cutouts. Overall, I'm happy with the Phonak devices so far.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Phonak bluetooth hearings aids squeal all the time or make buzzing noises and vibrate. Hearing ear mold had to be done for the left side after complaining for about a month. Leaf ear aid started squealing after about 60 days and aid was returned after complaining for about a month. Now the trial period to return has expired and right aid starting to make crunchy sounds. Got aid that was sent in for repair today and it squeals worse than it did before I sent it in!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I bought the Naida V V-70 SP last year. Had one year warranty. My left hearing aid doesn't hold the sound, it keeps going down. I have boosted it several times but doesn't seem to hold. I have no warranty and have to get them repaired or get new ones. It's very expensive. I have been wearing hearing aids for 44 years, had many Phonak hearing aids and they worked but these are terrible. Has anyone else have issues with this model?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Have had these about 1.5 years and with each passing week, the quality deteriorates. They advertise that they correct for sound according to surroundings. This has never happened despite several trips to Connect Hearing for adjustments. And while I can adjust volume the clarity is not there. I am stuck for at least another 1.5 years but this is my last Phonak product.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Hearing aid bought December 2005. Could possibly be the worst hearing aid I ever purchased. I bought this from a local hearing doctor in Clemmons North Carolina and I think it's simply the fact that I was fitted with the wrong hearing aid for my hearing loss and my lifestyle but if this was my first hearing aid. I probably would never buy another one again. I got one from Harbor Freight for $12 and I think there's not much difference than its $1,800 one. I think they sold me what they thought I would be able to afford instead of what I need.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I went to Costco because I thought I would get a better deal. This is my third set of hearing aids. I've worn them for about twenty years. I have profound hearing loss so was told I had to go back to the ear mold, over the ear. They don't fit right, won't stay in my ear. They were expensive and I can't see much difference between these and my last Miracle Ear earbud aids, which I loved. I'm very dissatisfied with Costco and Phonak

Original review: July 2, 2017

Have had my Boleros for about 3 years. Excellent power and sound quality. My hearing has gradually gotten worse over the course of time and have worked with my audiologist to reprogram my Boleros to most my most recent audiogram. The Bolero V70 SP have a wide range and are able to adjust to my hearing needs. Would definitely recommend Phonak- had a 3 year warranty and have had my hearing aids completely refurbished by Phonak just before the end of my warranty, so like having brand new aids. Also purchased ComPilot II and remote microphone which are very useful in extremely noisy environments. Highly recommend trying out hearing aids from Phonak.

Original review: June 19, 2017

First off let me say; I've been wearing hearing aids for 39 years... NEVER ever in my whole life have I had so many hearing aid issues. That being said I now have not one but TWO hearing aids STILL broken. I've had them sent to be fixed. They come back still not working. I have spent hundreds that I do not have so I could hear. SHAME on you Phonak! I am now on a perm loaner for about a year now in frustration because I can't afford to fix nor buy new hearing aids.

What were the problems; sounds were not consistent. I would always be turning up the volume but not hearing anything. Audiologist would say that's the highest it can go and I know I've heard it be louder when I first got them so something is wrong! Second problem they feedback but no one else can hear it but me. I sent it in to be fixed. It came back within two weeks. The problem would resurface. I've done this several times each time they said it's fix and it wasn't due to the constant feedback. My left ear no longer works... at all. My deafness went from severe to totally deaf. I've had steady decrease for 39 years but nothing like losing 20 db in a matter of a year since wearing these... something in these aids are so wrong so off that it's undetectable to someone like me that is profoundly deaf. I now have one ear left and a loaner aid that I can't afford. Thanks Phonak for nothing!

Original review: June 9, 2017

The correction is spectacular, the best I've ever had (the price is the highest, too). BUT: They have this awful loud buzzing that seems to be a result of proximity to electrical boxes, plus other unidentified things. Even other people can hear it. From both ears. Phonak has replaced both left and right, and now the loaner that they finally gave me is buzzing, too. Phonak has no clue what is causing it, although they do seem interested in finding out. I need the streamer, too, which cuts in and out, at times is intolerably loud, and full of static but that's the least of my worries. My audiologist is the absolute best, and she's upset now, too. To sum up: great technology when it works. Kind of like the old saw "nice work if you can get it."

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have nerve damage to the right ear--occurred about 1 1/2 years ago. Fitted with these aids has been very little help and cost $5,100. Because the ear has damage which took about 75% of the useful range of hearing I still receive lots of noise. Automobile tire noise becomes quite annoying and tends to cause difficulty hearing conversation or radio in the car. The Cros system doesn't help with the "bad" noise and does a poor job picking up sounds that aren't coming from behind. That means I can hear the table behind me in the restaurant but only those in front or beside with difficulty. If I had had a longer test usage of the aids I would never have spent this amount of money for such minimal hearing boost. The best function would be to paint them red so folks could see that I have a hearing problem.

Original review: April 28, 2017

This is my 2nd set of Phonak hearing aids (my bionic ears). I had an earlier set -- my first fitted hearing aids, and it was painful getting used to them. Those of you who were around in the 40s and 50s will remember what getting a new pair of leather soled shoes was like -- it took me about 3 months to get them fitted to my feet so they were comfortable to wear. That was what it was like getting my first set of Phonak bionic ears. On the other hand, my hearing improved greatly, and I had 3 settings -- general, music and mute. I could hear again, even if I did have to do a fair amount of adjusting volume.

My 2nd set, Phonak Virto V90FS have small computers in them, and they automatically adjust to the world around me -- crowd noises, background noise, music -- though I still have to manually adjust the volume for the thunderous applause of the rest of my class of 100+ people, to strong winds blowing across my ears, to the nearby crinkle of a potato chip bag. Still, my audiologist made them so they fit so well that I don't remember I have them in -- until I step into the shower, or get caught in the rain. I'm told they are somewhat water resistant. I also remember I have them in when I lie down for a nap or sleep. That's the only time they are uncomfortable.

I have ITE (in the ear) hearing aids because I do Aikido (a martial art which has lots of throws where I land hard on the mat or do a variety of rolls) and the only time one has fallen out in the last 6 years (over 1000 hours of practice) is when someone's elbow brushed my ear just right and my red bionic ear popped out and rolled across the mat. I just picked it up, put it back in, and continued practice... I like that my right bionic ear is red, the left blue, and the visible part when I am wearing them are flesh colored. Most don't notice I'm wearing bionic ears until I say so. I like that I can adjust the volume or turn them on or off by using the controls on just one ear. I also like that the sound from them seems to be somewhere in the center of my head, rather than in the two little plastic pieces in each ear.

My biggest complaint is that Phonak doesn't provide a good carrying case -- at least for my style of hearing aid. I use the largest battery -- size p13 -- because they last the longest -- about 9 or 10 days. My ears have a right angle, which means that the hearing aid is a little larger than those who have a straight in tunnel. It also means that the pretty boxes Phonak provides -- don't work very well. When I take my bionic ears out, I pull out the battery holders. I want to store the hearing aids with the battery holders extended, and they tend to get pushed back into the hearing aid by the lid of the case. This means that my wife starts shaking my shoulder, saying: "Your hearing aids are screaming." which I can't hear without my hearing aids in place.

Taking the batteries out if the hearing aid battery holder is not an option because there is no place to put them -- when opened batteries rattle together, they use up a lot of their useful life, and if I leave them in the closed or almost closed battery holders, then there is an extra 40 hours of use every week. I would like a hearing aid case that 1) is small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket, 2) will hold the hearing aids so the battery holders are easily held open (batteries not being used up) , and 3) has storage space for 3 or 4 spare (unused) batteries for future use.

Original review: March 14, 2017

My mother has worn hearing aids for over 25 years. Her first pair were by Beltone. $4500 after 2 years in the trash can. Her next aids were Siemens from Moran a local dealer. Very good and lasted many years. Next was Zounds. 2 weeks and they were returned. Irritated her ear and cost $4999. I read the article in Consumer Reports. She got her custom set of Phonak Brio hearing aids with remote. They are unbelievable. At 93 she hears wonderfully and understands normal conversations. What a gift for her family. Did I mention they cost $2800? A bargain??? I recommend them.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have had the Q90's for a little over three years. One or the other, or both, have had to be sent back for repairs 16 times. Today, another return for yet another receiver replacement. Of course, warranty has expired. If you are considering Phonak, reconsider. The quality is terrible. The audiology office, Ascent Audiology and Hearing, have been great in expediting the returns and repairs.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I fully believe in this product and believe if used correctly others will benefit as well as. Hearing aids are not part time investments. They must be used every day all the time except when asleep to keep the benefits and know if they are effective!! Take this from someone with many years of experience. And you must care for them to get years of use out of them!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Just got a pair of Phonak B90s. They are the best pair I have had. I have been wearing hearing aids for over 12 years. With the B90s the controls are all automatic and the sound fidelity is so good I can hear clocks ticking in the house. Hearing aid technology changes for the better so rapidly that replacing them every 3-4 years makes a lot of sense. The only drawback on the B90s it does not have an Android app for bluetooth. If you have a Apple you are in luck.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

My new Naida V90 hearing aid did not function properly on the first day. Disappointed with Phonak. Audiologist is great. I am concerned about Phonak's customer support and quality control process. Fingers crossed and glad to have grace period. A high price for something that is important but not quality controlled.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

The Phonak "Compilot" bluetooth pendant supposedly pairs with a Bluetooth source such as an iPad or computer. It works only occasionally. Within any fifteen-minute stretch of being paired with a source it will drop out five or six times, each time with a voice telling you that it has stopped pairing or is pairing or is turning off or some such thing. It's a recipe for irritation and occasionally serious inconvenience - such as when you are listening for weather warnings, news bulletins, etc. While I have been typing this I have gotten four messages from the Compilot: "Bluetooth Audio"; "Compilot stopped pairing"; "Bluetooth pairing stopped"; "Bluetooth audio." Each time it either interrupts or completely stops connecting with the source. I am seriously tempted to try some "hammer therapy" on the bloody thing.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

Costco Phonak Brio 2 - Purchased 11-16-2016. Seventy-eight year-old male with moderate to severe hearing loss from unattenuated exposure to jet aircraft. I had not looked into hearing aids until I started having difficulty distinguishing individual words in a movie theater with all the volume they customarily use. Went to local Costco on the recommendation of a fellow pilot and was highly impressed with the personal attention and, what I perceived as, the expertise of the audiologist working at the Costco kiosk. The combination of the extended 180 day trial period, the two-year extended warranty and the recommendation of the friend prompted me to take the plunge and buy the Brio 2. Which brings up the subject of documentation. Apparently, the Brio allows custom functions which are programmed by Costco, and there is no place to find written instructions for some basic operations. The Phonak website is notably deficient.

I was specifically impressed with the several automatic pre-programmed environmental modes for music, driving, restaurants, etc. During the fitting, these modes and operation of the aids were explained...mostly. I missed the explanation of how the volume of the aids was controlled with the volume buttons on the top of the aids and searching the included instructions and available online help was no help. How they worked was explained on the first follow-up visit. As many as Costco sells, there is no reason for not having better instructions and documentation.

The iPhone Bluetooth capability was also a selling point. I didn't realize that this option requires the use of the goofy ComPilot Air II to work at all. It does work, but my impression was that no "streamer" was necessary. I know there is a lot of technology crammed into these little buds, but having to have the ComPilot fastened to your collar makes this feature marginally useful. All-in-all, I am happy with the improved level of hearing I have now.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Received my Phonak in March 2016. After 10 days my canal was so sore. I returned it for remake. Since that time it has been returned to Phonak for more times because of pain. Previously I have had 3 previous HAs, other brands, without any painful fits. My audiologist has made impressions three times four Phonak. In addition my audiologist has made minor fit adjustments in his office four times. Phonak has quality control problems. Blue Shield Claim ** 3/16/2016.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I've been a hearing aid wearer for 12 years now. I was replacing a Phonak Audeo V50 hearing aid that was 4 years old because my insurance plan will cover it. My coverage allows me to buy very good hearing aids every 3 years. It seems that depending on the hearing aid place you go to they peddle only one brand and in each case this time around the experience was horrible. I was not happy with what I was hearing from the Oticon and Starkey brands. Sounds were too sharp at the high ends and yet overall sound quality seemed muffled and feedback was intolerable. Those hearing aids carried a price of around $4500 to $4800/pair.

I went to Costco and got their Phonak Brio 50 hearing aids. I was not expecting success but I was pleasantly surprised. In one visit, the world sounds good again and it doesn't hurt that the price is affordable and fully covered by my insurance. Losses and damages are 100% covered in the first 2 years. I think that Costco is making a good buck on them and I can't help but feel that people are getting fleeced going to the other guys now.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I have had my set of Phonak hearing aids for 3 years now, and they've been nothing but trouble. My hearing loss is moderate due to a childhood illness. I can't rely on my hearing aids at all. They have had to be repaired 4 times now. They either just flat quit working or the volume starts cutting in and out and then just quits altogether. I'm very disappointed. I have no choice but to get them repaired as my insurance paid for them and won't pay for new ones for another 2 years. I would never recommend them to anyone. Good luck in getting any kind of response from Phonak.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

I bought a pair of Phonak hearing aids from Costco. Costco's customer service was first rate and I chose the aids I thought best at the time. I have now had four months to review my purchase and I am thoroughly disappointed. My hearing loss is not severe but I do miss syllables such that I have to ask people to repeat themselves. I have a hard time understanding children. The hearing aids amplify all the sounds I do not want to hear, e.g. fans, mowers, leaf blowers, vacuum cleaners, muzak, announcements and other audio pollution, but they do nothing to help with conversation or my understanding of children. I am going to return them to Costco but first I wanted to hear what Phonak had to say. They don't even answer their bloody phone!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

I have had two experiences with Phonak that were very good. But the last CIC aid purchased in 2014 has been nothing but trouble. I have returned to the Connect Hearing center multiple times and often it has to be returned to the company for repair. Once it simply stopped working. On multiple occasions the volume starts fading over a period of days or weeks. This level of unreliability is unacceptable. The audiologist who works with me is very pleasant and cooperative but offers no insight into why this keeps happening.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Purchased the Phonak Brio R at Costco for $2600 June 1. It is now August 20 and I have had two pair fail. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I am very upset by the type of Customer Service being given to us at of your Phonak Hearing Aids Agents in Hamra, Beirut, Lebanon. I came with my father and my mother who's already 76 y/o for programming the Hearing Aids I have purchased from one of your Agents in Qatar. However, when Beirut staff learned that the Hearing Aids was purchased in Qatar, they treated us really bad. We have waited for more than 2 1/2 hrs, w/c as of this moment, they have not rendered any immediate response in particular in our appointment with them. To think that, my mother is already 76 y/o, an old patient, which requires immediate attention. These totally unbelievable response to your patients.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

Received a set (both ears) of Phonak hearing aids through the VA. After one month one kept beeping as through the battery needed to be replaced, even after new batteries were installed. I lived with that for around two weeks, and then called the VA hospital that issued them. I then had to mail one back. About 3 weeks later it was returned, and a statement was sent referring the aid was gone over and fixed.

Two months later it started again in the same aid. I again lived with that beeping and replacing the batteries for about two weeks, then both aids started beeping. This started to drive me crazy. I called the VA again and was told to contact the manufacturer. This was done and I was advised to mail both aids to them. They returned new aids, they worked great for about 4 months, then the same side aid that was the first to beep started beeping again. I now just use one aid, fortunately the one not beeping is for the ear that has the most hearing loss. I believe this firm is dumping its lesser than 100% quality checked aid to veterans through the VA.

Original review: July 28, 2016

Purchased brand new Phonak hearing aids approximately 10 months ago and have had to have them repaired on four occasions. The Wire is very sensitive to both moisture and wax which of course most ears have. And have to be constantly repaired. Had I known how poor the quality was of this hearing aid I never would have purchased it to begin with. Unfortunately I have gone beyond my trial. And I am unable to return them. So there they sit on my desk never to be used again. What a wasted $4,000 I spent. Beware of Phonak hearing aids.

Original review: July 6, 2016

Phonak customer service? They don't have any. Call them & you get an answering machine & it tells you they will call you back within 2 business days. Do this 3-4 times then they might call you back. Then they leave a message or tell you to go to your local service provider. Everything seems to be a big secret with them.

Original review: June 17, 2016

I have spent ten thousand dollars on 2 sets of Phonak hearing aids. One behind the ear and the other in the ear. Both of them were their top of the line. I have the remote for both sets ($250 each) and a TV link. At 3 years the in the ear one broke. While removing it, the case split. I went to my provider and was told I was 20 days out of warranty and it would be $650 to repair the one!

I sent an e-mail to the company and they called me back in a few days and stated any repairs would be up to my provider, the company could do nothing. I returned to my provider and they stood fast on the cost. I sent a long email to the company with the complete story of my purchases and how I've told friends and family how great they were. I also mailed a letter with the same info to their corp office. I've never heard from them for 20 days. They have lost me as a customer forever, and I do not recommend this company or brand to anyone. I will post my feelings on every review site to warn people not to expect much from Phonak.

Original review: June 16, 2016

Do not buy Phonak hearing aids or the accessories, I've had mine for a year and have to send them back for repair 3 times. The ComPilot II is junk, was replaced once, will not stay paired with TV deck, does not work good with cell phone. I also have the Roger Pen. This seems to work ok and is quite useful, I don't use it too much so it hasn't broke yet. I have worked hearing aids since 1994 and with the plan I have with the dept. of veterans affairs I get replacement every 4 years. Will definitely not get any Phonak hearing aids again.

Phonak Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Phonak is an international hearing aid manufacturer with subsidiaries and distribution partners in more than 100 countries. Founded in 1947, Phonak is a member of the Sonova group of hearing aid companies.

• Convenience: Phonak is a leading worldwide hearing aid brand, so it is easy to find an audiologist or hearing specialist near you. Use the Phonak website to locate a provider, then schedule an appointment to find out what Phonak hearing solution is best for your needs.

• Technological innovator: Phonak has developed multiple hearing aid technologies that are not available from other brands, including the Quest platform which uses unique binaural VoiceStream technology.

• Smallest options available: In keeping with their focus on innovation, Phonak consistently produces some of the smallest devices on the market for those who want their hearing aids to be discreet. Its new Lyric in-the-canal device is the smallest on the market and is completely invisible when worn correctly.

• Kid-friendly options: Phonak offers solutions for listeners of all ages, including infants, toddlers, school-aged children and teens. Phonak also has developed an iPad app to teach children with hearing difficulties and the people around them how to get comfortable with hearing aids.

• Tinnitus help: For those with tinnitus, Phonak has developed several sound therapy options to help reduce its annoyance. Users can stream ambient sound from the Tinnitus Balance noise generator directly to their hearing aids, or use the mobile app without hearing aids to mask the ringing and buzzing sound.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information

www.phonak.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use