2.24/5
Based on 74 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a good hearing aid?

74 Phonak Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The VA provided a pair of Phonak Cros aids for me 2 years ago. They are the first ones I've owned so nothing to compare to but they've been great for me. My hearing is 26%. Previously I had an extremely hard time understanding most conversation. Now I can understand most if I am facing the one speaking and within 10 feet or so. The aids have worked flawlessly except for a speaker that failed in the right one a few weeks ago. VA repairman replaced it while I waited. Possibly my fault for forgetting to remove it before showering a few times.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I bought a Phonak Model B70-13 BTE hearing from ZipHearing in August 2017. Long story short, the hearing aid never performed properly, this despite being sent to the "factory" for repairs multiple times and even once entirely replaced ("new serial number"). The local audiologist referred by ZipHearing was unable to get the hearing aid to work despite many attempts nor was a second audiologist, also referred by ZipHearing and at their expense, despite the latter getting significant help by phone from Phonak's "best" customer service rep. After a year of this situation I asked for a full refund. This was countered by an offer to refund 73% of the purchase price.

I also contacted Phonak directly. This is their response (August 23, 2018): "Thank you for contacting Phonak with your concerns. Please accept our apologies for our product not performing to your expectations. As the manufacturer, we must refer you back to your original provider for assistance. We are unable to override any offers or policies between you and the hearing care provider. We hope they are able to help you with a resolution."

Lest anyone think me a crank, I have been using a hearing aid since about 1990, having begun with ITEs then BTEs. This is the first time I have ever had a hearing aid fail utterly. My current hearing aid, a Widex BTE is now eight years old and works fine. With the newer-technology Phonak, I'd planned to use the Widex as a backup.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Got these from a professional ear/nose/throat practice at what is today a relatively high price ($5200). The good: The company did due diligence in measuring my hearing range and programming the aids accordingly. The bad: I've come to accept the fact that they're AIDS -- not CURES. I'm guessing that most people with hearing problems believe that hearing aids will restore their normal hearing. They won't! They're just what the description says: AIDS! They help, but don't CURE you hearing problems.

They also indicated that these top-of-the-line aids would suppress background noise in crowded places. They don't. In addition, the aids give off a signal (2 long beeps) to tell you the battery needs replacement. Trouble is, they do this as long as 3 hours before the battery is actually dead. You then get more beeps at ~2 hours and ~1 hour before the battery actually dies. Phonak needs to program the aids to give a SINGLE signal ~1/2 hour before it REALLY will die.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Had demo pair and was happy so ordered a pair. Picked them up on Thursday. Worked great. Took them out last night to go to sleep. Neither worked this morning despite new batteries. Have to wait until Monday to be fixed. Score now is 2 good days, will be 2 worthless days. Not happy.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We purchased the Phonak Hearing Aids about 3 years ago for a cost of $3,400.00. It was the best and highest price they offered because they recommended it saying my husband's hearing was very bad. We were supposed to get a 1 year warranty, but were charged when we went in in a few months. I complained and she did give me the money back that time. However, my husband has had to go in for repair several times since. It takes about 15 minutes and he is charged $250.00. He just did this a couple weeks ago for the left ear. Now, the right ear aid is not working. We just can't afford to keep getting them fixed. We are on SS and he only gets $782. per month. This is a travesty that they charge so much for hearing aids and the insurance doesn't cover the cost or the repair. Don't waste your money on Phonak Hearing Aids. They are crap and very expensive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I bought Phonak's original Bluetooth CROS aid when they first came out. After decades of 100% single-sided deafness I thought they were a godsend. And they were - when they worked. They were not water-resistant so I couldn't wear them while mall-walking or during any other physical activity because perspiration often shut them down. Occasionally a couple of nights in the dryer helped, but other times, I had to take them to the audiologist (who cleaned the contacts). Three times they had to go back to Phonak so I was without them for weeks at a time.

Those aids finally gave up the ghost a few months ago, so I (slightly reluctantly) replaced them with the CROS B13, which is way, way superior technically to my old ones. Unfortunately, after wearing them for 9 days, the cord separated from the aid. I was able to push it back in and make it work a few times, but it kept separating. So I dropped it off at the audiologist today and was told they should be back in a week. I don't want this to be a premonition of "the same old same old" with finicky Phonak aids.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

It was working great, 30 minutes after leaving the Dr.'s office it stopped working. I had to drive over an hour one way to get to a Dr. for this hearing aid and halfway home it just stopped working. This is ridiculous. This is JUNK. Don't waste your money or time.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have used the cross aids for about 5 - 7 years. They work wonderfully and is about what you could expect for anyone with 100% loss in one ear and 40% loss in the other. I have had them in for service 3 times and each time it took less than 5 days to get them back. I am curious of all the severe negative reviews - perhaps expectations are a bit too high? One friend I recommended them too thought the system was bad but it turns out she expected her perfect hearing back from prior to her hearing loss - and that isn't ever going to happen with the current level of medical apparatuses technology. 80 years ago the state of the art was an ear trumpet, so give it time.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Just got new aids from Phonak yesterday and sound was good 1st 12 hours. This morning the left one not working. Right one was working when I went to breakfast but by the time I got home NOTHING was working. I have about had it with these overpriced pieces of crap. The first aids that I had for 5 years (Starkey) also junk. One more chance with these Phonak, then I turn them in and go back to peace and quiet, once more???

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have Phonak Nadia V90's - the supposedly top of the line by Phonak when used with the Roger Pen. They cost big bucks. When I connect the Roger pen to my TV I can mute commercials using the program button. Unfortunately, when I un-mute the Nadia volume adjustments I may have made for that TV program are discarded and replaced with the startup default audio settings. My old Phonak aids and the TV linking Palm Pilot that are 4 years old hold the adjusted volume settings for that TV station when I mute and unmute. Phonak made a decision to revert to default settings during Nadia mute and unmute for some reason. Not retaining the TV audio setting I want during Nadia mute and un-mute makes the Nadia v90 A DO NOT BUY in my estimation.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have gone through 2 sets of Phonak hearing aids and they are nothing but trouble. If I could get more than 1 week's use without breakdown, I would be surprised. It's really too bad because they are a very comfortable fit and the sound quality is good when they work. Waste of money!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I've had my Brio 3s less than two weeks. Whilst my initial thoughts were, "I adored them" but by day 3 a problem has occurred nearly every 3 days and is now happening daily and as of tonight it refuses to stop. My left hearing aid makes this crazy electrical buzzing like a bee is in my ear. I can even duplicate noise loud enough by placing the receiver near the mic and turning the volume up just to make sure my husband could hear it and even he said, "What the heck that noise and when did that start?" The first time it happened I thought, "Oh maybe my wAx guard got clogged." So changed it only to still have the issue. I waited 3 hours and changed the battery and it stopped the issue. Second time I removed the hearing aid and let it sit turned off for about 5 minutes the buzz continued and I waited another 5 minutes and it stopped. This has been daily for the last 6 days.

As of tonight it started buzzing. I changed wax guards tried a new battery. It's been sat in the case airing for over 3 hours and constantly shorts the static buzz noise every time the aid is turned on. I'm at a loss. They have not got wet, I've not dropped or yanked the wires. Whenever I've removed the aid I've used the pull tab on the custom mold of the receiver. They have been carefully placed in the individual cases that Phonak supplied when not in use on my dresser. I'm actually really upset at this point because these are the first set I've bought privately in 30 years of Free NHS (UK) hearing aids. I never had issues within days. I always get 4-6 years before issues occur. My last hearing aids lasted 8 years!

I will be calling my fitter first thing in the morning and at this point I'm considering returning them already as I cannot keep removing and turning off aid for 10 min-3+ hours to stop the weird noise. I'm actually wondering if there was a programming issue because at the time of my appointment the iCube used to program wouldn't connect. It took 30 minutes of rebooting and constant reinstalling to get it to kick in. I have absolutely no issues with my right hearing aid that works flawlessly. It is only my left aid that is doing it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am deaf in my right ear. In December of 2017, the VA gave me a set of Phonak CROS hearing aids. They work great... when they work. I have had to send them back 5 times since first receiving them. Sometimes they last a month, sometimes a week or 2 or 3... but the shortest time was 3 days. Every time, the VA fixes and re-calibrates them. I just got them back Monday April 9, 2018. I took them out last night before going to bed just like I always do. I went to put them back in this morning. Nothing. Just like always I changed the batteries. They lasted one week again. I don't have anything good to say about Phonak CROS hearing aids.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Phonak Virto V50 - It’s just ok. Sound does go in and out and I have to click other telephone button on when it’s “out” to get it to come back “on”. Not very pleased with sound quality but compared to others it’s not the worst.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Just received new Audeo B-13 aids today from VA Phoenix. Problem began with unprotected exposure to aircraft engine noise and many flight hours. Now at 74, I decided to do something about my inability to hold a conversation without "huh?" every few sentences. Exam four weeks ago and installation today. So far, I love my new hearing. I've read the preceding reviews, so right now it's a wait and see game. I am also impressed with the volume controls on each earpiece receiver. The audiologists at VA are great. I am 200 miles from Phoenix, but telemed worked real well with minimal cutouts. Overall, I'm happy with the Phonak devices so far.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Phonak bluetooth hearings aids squeal all the time or make buzzing noises and vibrate. Hearing ear mold had to be done for the left side after complaining for about a month. Leaf ear aid started squealing after about 60 days and aid was returned after complaining for about a month. Now the trial period to return has expired and right aid starting to make crunchy sounds. Got aid that was sent in for repair today and it squeals worse than it did before I sent it in!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I bought the Naida V V-70 SP last year. Had one year warranty. My left hearing aid doesn't hold the sound, it keeps going down. I have boosted it several times but doesn't seem to hold. I have no warranty and have to get them repaired or get new ones. It's very expensive. I have been wearing hearing aids for 44 years, had many Phonak hearing aids and they worked but these are terrible. Has anyone else have issues with this model?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Have had these about 1.5 years and with each passing week, the quality deteriorates. They advertise that they correct for sound according to surroundings. This has never happened despite several trips to Connect Hearing for adjustments. And while I can adjust volume the clarity is not there. I am stuck for at least another 1.5 years but this is my last Phonak product.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Hearing aid bought December 2005. Could possibly be the worst hearing aid I ever purchased. I bought this from a local hearing doctor in Clemmons North Carolina and I think it's simply the fact that I was fitted with the wrong hearing aid for my hearing loss and my lifestyle but if this was my first hearing aid. I probably would never buy another one again. I got one from Harbor Freight for $12 and I think there's not much difference than its $1,800 one. I think they sold me what they thought I would be able to afford instead of what I need.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I went to Costco because I thought I would get a better deal. This is my third set of hearing aids. I've worn them for about twenty years. I have profound hearing loss so was told I had to go back to the ear mold, over the ear. They don't fit right, won't stay in my ear. They were expensive and I can't see much difference between these and my last Miracle Ear earbud aids, which I loved. I'm very dissatisfied with Costco and Phonak

Original review: July 2, 2017

Have had my Boleros for about 3 years. Excellent power and sound quality. My hearing has gradually gotten worse over the course of time and have worked with my audiologist to reprogram my Boleros to most my most recent audiogram. The Bolero V70 SP have a wide range and are able to adjust to my hearing needs. Would definitely recommend Phonak- had a 3 year warranty and have had my hearing aids completely refurbished by Phonak just before the end of my warranty, so like having brand new aids. Also purchased ComPilot II and remote microphone which are very useful in extremely noisy environments. Highly recommend trying out hearing aids from Phonak.

Original review: June 19, 2017

First off let me say; I've been wearing hearing aids for 39 years... NEVER ever in my whole life have I had so many hearing aid issues. That being said I now have not one but TWO hearing aids STILL broken. I've had them sent to be fixed. They come back still not working. I have spent hundreds that I do not have so I could hear. SHAME on you Phonak! I am now on a perm loaner for about a year now in frustration because I can't afford to fix nor buy new hearing aids.

What were the problems; sounds were not consistent. I would always be turning up the volume but not hearing anything. Audiologist would say that's the highest it can go and I know I've heard it be louder when I first got them so something is wrong! Second problem they feedback but no one else can hear it but me. I sent it in to be fixed. It came back within two weeks. The problem would resurface. I've done this several times each time they said it's fix and it wasn't due to the constant feedback. My left ear no longer works... at all. My deafness went from severe to totally deaf. I've had steady decrease for 39 years but nothing like losing 20 db in a matter of a year since wearing these... something in these aids are so wrong so off that it's undetectable to someone like me that is profoundly deaf. I now have one ear left and a loaner aid that I can't afford. Thanks Phonak for nothing!

Original review: June 9, 2017

The correction is spectacular, the best I've ever had (the price is the highest, too). BUT: They have this awful loud buzzing that seems to be a result of proximity to electrical boxes, plus other unidentified things. Even other people can hear it. From both ears. Phonak has replaced both left and right, and now the loaner that they finally gave me is buzzing, too. Phonak has no clue what is causing it, although they do seem interested in finding out. I need the streamer, too, which cuts in and out, at times is intolerably loud, and full of static but that's the least of my worries. My audiologist is the absolute best, and she's upset now, too. To sum up: great technology when it works. Kind of like the old saw "nice work if you can get it."

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have nerve damage to the right ear--occurred about 1 1/2 years ago. Fitted with these aids has been very little help and cost $5,100. Because the ear has damage which took about 75% of the useful range of hearing I still receive lots of noise. Automobile tire noise becomes quite annoying and tends to cause difficulty hearing conversation or radio in the car. The Cros system doesn't help with the "bad" noise and does a poor job picking up sounds that aren't coming from behind. That means I can hear the table behind me in the restaurant but only those in front or beside with difficulty. If I had had a longer test usage of the aids I would never have spent this amount of money for such minimal hearing boost. The best function would be to paint them red so folks could see that I have a hearing problem.

Original review: April 28, 2017

This is my 2nd set of Phonak hearing aids (my bionic ears). I had an earlier set -- my first fitted hearing aids, and it was painful getting used to them. Those of you who were around in the 40s and 50s will remember what getting a new pair of leather soled shoes was like -- it took me about 3 months to get them fitted to my feet so they were comfortable to wear. That was what it was like getting my first set of Phonak bionic ears. On the other hand, my hearing improved greatly, and I had 3 settings -- general, music and mute. I could hear again, even if I did have to do a fair amount of adjusting volume.

My 2nd set, Phonak Virto V90FS have small computers in them, and they automatically adjust to the world around me -- crowd noises, background noise, music -- though I still have to manually adjust the volume for the thunderous applause of the rest of my class of 100+ people, to strong winds blowing across my ears, to the nearby crinkle of a potato chip bag. Still, my audiologist made them so they fit so well that I don't remember I have them in -- until I step into the shower, or get caught in the rain. I'm told they are somewhat water resistant. I also remember I have them in when I lie down for a nap or sleep. That's the only time they are uncomfortable.

I have ITE (in the ear) hearing aids because I do Aikido (a martial art which has lots of throws where I land hard on the mat or do a variety of rolls) and the only time one has fallen out in the last 6 years (over 1000 hours of practice) is when someone's elbow brushed my ear just right and my red bionic ear popped out and rolled across the mat. I just picked it up, put it back in, and continued practice... I like that my right bionic ear is red, the left blue, and the visible part when I am wearing them are flesh colored. Most don't notice I'm wearing bionic ears until I say so. I like that I can adjust the volume or turn them on or off by using the controls on just one ear. I also like that the sound from them seems to be somewhere in the center of my head, rather than in the two little plastic pieces in each ear.

My biggest complaint is that Phonak doesn't provide a good carrying case -- at least for my style of hearing aid. I use the largest battery -- size p13 -- because they last the longest -- about 9 or 10 days. My ears have a right angle, which means that the hearing aid is a little larger than those who have a straight in tunnel. It also means that the pretty boxes Phonak provides -- don't work very well. When I take my bionic ears out, I pull out the battery holders. I want to store the hearing aids with the battery holders extended, and they tend to get pushed back into the hearing aid by the lid of the case. This means that my wife starts shaking my shoulder, saying: "Your hearing aids are screaming." which I can't hear without my hearing aids in place.

Taking the batteries out if the hearing aid battery holder is not an option because there is no place to put them -- when opened batteries rattle together, they use up a lot of their useful life, and if I leave them in the closed or almost closed battery holders, then there is an extra 40 hours of use every week. I would like a hearing aid case that 1) is small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket, 2) will hold the hearing aids so the battery holders are easily held open (batteries not being used up) , and 3) has storage space for 3 or 4 spare (unused) batteries for future use.

Original review: March 14, 2017

My mother has worn hearing aids for over 25 years. Her first pair were by Beltone. $4500 after 2 years in the trash can. Her next aids were Siemens from Moran a local dealer. Very good and lasted many years. Next was Zounds. 2 weeks and they were returned. Irritated her ear and cost $4999. I read the article in Consumer Reports. She got her custom set of Phonak Brio hearing aids with remote. They are unbelievable. At 93 she hears wonderfully and understands normal conversations. What a gift for her family. Did I mention they cost $2800? A bargain??? I recommend them.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have had the Q90's for a little over three years. One or the other, or both, have had to be sent back for repairs 16 times. Today, another return for yet another receiver replacement. Of course, warranty has expired. If you are considering Phonak, reconsider. The quality is terrible. The audiology office, Ascent Audiology and Hearing, have been great in expediting the returns and repairs.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I fully believe in this product and believe if used correctly others will benefit as well as. Hearing aids are not part time investments. They must be used every day all the time except when asleep to keep the benefits and know if they are effective!! Take this from someone with many years of experience. And you must care for them to get years of use out of them!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Just got a pair of Phonak B90s. They are the best pair I have had. I have been wearing hearing aids for over 12 years. With the B90s the controls are all automatic and the sound fidelity is so good I can hear clocks ticking in the house. Hearing aid technology changes for the better so rapidly that replacing them every 3-4 years makes a lot of sense. The only drawback on the B90s it does not have an Android app for bluetooth. If you have a Apple you are in luck.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

My new Naida V90 hearing aid did not function properly on the first day. Disappointed with Phonak. Audiologist is great. I am concerned about Phonak's customer support and quality control process. Fingers crossed and glad to have grace period. A high price for something that is important but not quality controlled.

Phonak Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Phonak is an international hearing aid manufacturer with subsidiaries and distribution partners in more than 100 countries. Founded in 1947, Phonak is a member of the Sonova group of hearing aid companies.

• Convenience: Phonak is a leading worldwide hearing aid brand, so it is easy to find an audiologist or hearing specialist near you. Use the Phonak website to locate a provider, then schedule an appointment to find out what Phonak hearing solution is best for your needs.

• Technological innovator: Phonak has developed multiple hearing aid technologies that are not available from other brands, including the Quest platform which uses unique binaural VoiceStream technology.

• Smallest options available: In keeping with their focus on innovation, Phonak consistently produces some of the smallest devices on the market for those who want their hearing aids to be discreet. Its new Lyric in-the-canal device is the smallest on the market and is completely invisible when worn correctly.

• Kid-friendly options: Phonak offers solutions for listeners of all ages, including infants, toddlers, school-aged children and teens. Phonak also has developed an iPad app to teach children with hearing difficulties and the people around them how to get comfortable with hearing aids.

• Tinnitus help: For those with tinnitus, Phonak has developed several sound therapy options to help reduce its annoyance. Users can stream ambient sound from the Tinnitus Balance noise generator directly to their hearing aids, or use the mobile app without hearing aids to mask the ringing and buzzing sound.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information