2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.40/5

Phonak offers hearing aids in a variety of styles, colors, sizes and technology levels. It designs hearing aids for children and teenagers, and the company provides custom fittings. Phonak also sells an invisible hearing aid, the Lyric, which is professionally inserted within your ear canal. Customers can choose hearing aids with Bluetooth features and rechargeable batteries.

BOTTOM LINE

Phonak offers a wide selection of hearing aids to suit every type of hearing loss. Its devices have multiple features, but the company doesn't provide prices online. Phonak has models for children.

PROS

• Rechargeable batteries
  • Bluetooth-capable
  • Models for children

CONS

• No prices on website

Top Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews We Found

Just received new Audeo aids today. ... Exam four weeks ago and installation today. So far, I love my new hearing. I've read the preceding reviews, so right now it's a wait-and-see game. I am impressed with the volume controls on each earpiece receiver. I'm happy with the Phonak devices so far.

I’ve had high tone moderate hearing loss and aids since 2006. I’ve had Siemens, Resound and Phonak. The Phonak Audeo is a huge improvement over previous aids. These are the first aids I have had that allow me to hear and understand what’s on the TV at any volume level. That in itself says it all.

What is Phonak?

Phonak is a leading hearing aid manufacturer that offers cutting-edge hearing devices, including hearing aids for children and adults. Its devices offer clear sound, rechargeable batteries, smart device compatibility and wireless accessories to enhance your hearing experience. Phonak doesn't sell hearing aids directly, but you can check its website to see if there is a Phonak retailer near you. A local provider can help you choose and adjust to your new hearing aid, and you can reach out to Phonak customer service for additional questions or support.

Phonak Hearing Aid models

There are a variety of features available on Phonak hearing aids. Many models include smart device connectivity, a wide selection of colors and an emphasis on clear sound in any environment. Depending on the nature of your hearing loss and lifestyle, some models may be a better fit for you than others. For example, those with an active lifestyle may prefer Phonak’s rechargeable hearing aids that include a built-in battery that lasts up to 24 hours and only takes three hours to fully recharge.

Phonak offers the following models of hearing aids:

Phonak Audeo Marvel
    This receiver-in-canal hearing aid provides clear sound for those with mild to profound hearing loss. There are five Audeo Marvel models, all featuring smart device connectivity and customizable colors. Select Phonak Audeo models include rechargeable batteries.
    Phonak Audeo B
    The Audeo B automatically adjusts to the noise level of your environment, which allows for hands-free use wherever you go. This receiver-in-canal model is good for mild to severe hearing loss and includes the option for a built-in rechargeable battery. These hearing aids are smartphone-compatible and can connect to any Bluetooth phone.
    Phonak Virto Marvel
    The Virto Marvel is an in-the-ear hearing aid that is custom-fit to the unique contours of your ear for comfortable, discreet wear. Depending on the model, Phonak Virto hearing aids are ideal for mild to profound hearing loss. These hearing aids use a 10 or 312 zinc-air battery and do not have a rechargeable option. Virto hearing aids are available in titanium or a wide range of neutral colors.
    Phonak Naida Marvel
    This powerful behind-the-ear hearing aid offers strong amplification for those with moderate to profound hearing loss. It’s Bluetooth-enabled and resistant to water and dust.
    Phonak Sky Marvel
    The Sky Marvel is Phonak’s hearing aid for children and teens. It features a comfortable fit in a variety of colors. There are behind-the-ear models for mild to profound hearing loss, and some Sky Marvel models include built-in rechargeable batteries. These Phonak Bluetooth hearing aids can be connected to smartphones and other compatible devices to enjoy music, TV and more.
    Phonak Bolero Marvel
    The Bolero is a behind-the-ear hearing aid that provides a rich sound and comfortable fit. This hearing aid has the option for a rechargeable battery (for mild to severe hearing loss) or a replaceable 312 zinc-air battery (for mild to moderate hearing loss). Both options feature iOS and Android connectivity.
    Phonak CROS
    This single-sided hearing aid is designed to be worn in either ear to provide improved sound quality. Rechargeable batteries are available with CROS hearing aids, which are discreetly custom-fit or worn behind the ear.
    Phonak Lyric
    The Phonak Lyric is placed in the ear canal and is hidden from view. It provides a rich, natural sound and is designed to be worn full time for up to several months at a stretch. These devices aren’t ideal for everyone, so ask your hearing provider if Lyric hearing aids are right for you.

All devices are covered by a standard one-year Phonak warranty. This covers any manufacturing or material defects, though your hearing provider may also offer additional warranty coverage.

How much do Phonak Hearing Aids cost?

Phonak's hearing aid prices are set by your local provider, but devices start at $1,199 and cost up to $5,000 for high-end models. Many audiologists provide complimentary hearing aid assessments and fittings. Check Phonak’s website to find a list of local hearing centers or ask your preferred audiologist about Phonak hearing aids. Additional features, such as rechargeable batteries and Bluetooth connectivity, and more powerful devices are more expensive.

Many organizations offer assistance programs that can cover the full price of a hearing aid or help offset your costs. These programs are usually based on age or financial need. Many providers also offer health care financing to manage the cost of Phonak hearing aids, though you typically need decent credit to qualify for this option.

How to buy a Phonak Hearing Aid

The first step toward choosing a hearing aid is setting up a consultation with a local audiologist who sells Phonak hearing aids. You can find a list of local Phonak audiologists on Phonak’s website. The audiologist performs a hearing test and hearing aid consultation; many hearing centers offer these services free of charge. Once you’ve been evaluated, the audiologist recommends the best hearing aid for your needs and lifestyle.

After you’ve selected a Phonak hearing aid, the hearing care professional calibrates the device to your degree of hearing loss and fits it to your ear. If the hearing aid needs to be ordered, it's delivered to the hearing center within one to two weeks.

While Phonak devices are simple to program, they can be challenging for those who are unfamiliar with technology. A Phonak audiologist can show you how to program, clean and maintain the hearing aid, and they can also assist pairing it to your smart device if you have a Bluetooth-compatible hearing aid.

Phonak Hearing Aids FAQ

How do Phonak hearing aids work?
    The microphone on a Phonak hearing aid picks up sounds from the environment and relays them to the amplifier in your ear, which allows you to hear ambient sounds and voices clearly.
    What is a Phonak ComPilot?
    Phonak ComPilot is a wireless accessory that connects to a variety of audio sources to stream media and phone calls directly to the hearing aid. You can connect to your ComPilot via Bluetooth or direct input.
    What is a telecoil?
    A telecoil is a thin copper wire that picks up signals from telephones and loop systems at theaters, concert halls and other public venues. This allows you to bypass the microphone for phone calls and hear more easily in environments with a lot of background noise.
    How do you put a Phonak hearing aid in?
    To insert a Phonak hearing aid, hold the tubing near the earmold and place it into your ear canal. Then rotate the earmold and slip the receiver or hook behind your ear. If you have a Phonak Lyric hearing aid, this device needs to be placed by a professional.
    What maintenance is required for Phonak hearing aids?
    You should regularly clean your hearing aid with a soft, dry cloth and keep the device away from dust, water and anything else that may clog it. An audiologist can assist you with removing earwax residue from the device as well as any maintenance or repair needs.
    Do I need to get a fitting to buy a Phonak hearing aid?
    Yes, usually an audiologist will recommend a Phonak hearing aid fitting to ensure that the device is correctly adjusted and programmed to suit your hearing loss.

Are Phonak Hearing Aids good?

Phonak is a leading hearing aid manufacturer with a variety of devices available for those with mild to profound hearing loss. It offers an invisible hearing aid that’s both discreet and comfortable as well as Bluetooth-capable and rechargeable devices. It’s difficult to find cost information online, however, so you need to schedule an appointment with a Phonak audiologist for accurate pricing.

Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews

Original review: March 29, 2020

Every time I perspire the batteries go dead. Sent the unit in for repair and came back with the same problem. Perspiration equals dead batteries. If new batteries are inserted they last twenty minutes. Otherwise they work fine.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I buy 10 June 2017 Phonak Audeo V50 -312T (pair). I buy from Québec Government the pair $2,680. can, and the quality is of this product is cheap and the technologie désuet since 2013. The government by a balance of stock for around $200 each and service included. If you make the equation I paid $2,260. for service and audiologist profits. I can understand why Phonak is not fair with ours consumers, cause the real customer it's not the government but me the person paid for (all money is mine.,) government. It's me. But the person need the Phonak service and pay the products is me always. Please don't make your salvage in Quebec Canada. We can buy from Costco and you say why.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I have had a pair of Phonak Virto B70 hearing aids for 2 months. During this time, frequently only one of them has worked. When I insert them, sometimes they make a chime, sometimes they don't. Sometimes one makes a chime, but the other doesn't. If they don't chime, it means they aren't working. So, frequently, only one of them is working. I take it out, check the battery, etc. Occasionally it then starts working, for no apparent reason since I didn't really do anything except open and close the unit.

I took it back to the retailer. The person there took it in the back for a couple of minutes, and brought it back working. Said there was nothing wrong with it as far as they could tell. It then worked for about a week, and stopped working again - or working only intermittently. Again, sometimes it is on, but often it won't turn on. I'm going to return it tomorrow. I presume they will now send it out to a technician for 'repair.' I'm not happy about that, because a piece of electronic equipment that costs several thousand dollars ought to work better than that. Anyway, my conclusion is that this product is not as good as it should be. By the way, when they both work though they work really well to restore my hearing. Company must do better to improve this product.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I got my right Phonak hearing aid in May, 2019. It is now January, 2020. I was told my left ear had such poor hearing that it would be useless to get an aid for it, hence only the right hearing aid. Initially I heard all of the background noises very loudly, no matter how I tried to adjust the volume. I went to the audiologist and she made an adjustment but said she wants me to hear the background noises. Fine, but what good is that when I can hear the background noises so loudly and hardly hear anyone speaking. Also, the hearing aid works intermittently. I thought it was a problem with my iPhone and the Bluetooth, so I upgraded to the iPhone 11. Still works only sporadically and I cannot figure out what the problem could be.

I keep it in the dehumidifying jar when I don't wear it. I do not wear it when it is raining or snowing. I am extremely careful with it. I know I need to go back to the audiologist but I don't really like her, considering her response regarding background noise. So, now I am stuck with a $3000 piece of garbage. I am so frustrated I am sorry I wasted my money on this hearing aid. My sister is now experiencing hearing loss, too, but I advised her to just deal with it because having a hearing aid is not a sure thing and is very expensive. I wish I had never bothered with this junk.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I'll try to keep this short. I bought the aids in April 1999. For the first 4 months they worked beautifully. Then one would not turn on. I had to return it to the purchase provider. It took several weeks to get repaired because Phonak was out of parts AND complete hearing aids. I can't even imagine how an international company can run of repair parts.

After 4 weeks it was returned with an invoice that said that basically everything but the case was replaced. The repaired aid had such poor sound quality it was basically useless and I could no longer hear the TV, people in business meetings, or in restaurants. Back it went and was returned with a promise that I would hear people better because it was misadjusted. Back to me after 2 weeks. It was worse than before even though the speaker had been replaced again.

Now, 6 months later I still have no working hearing aids. I called Phonak (USA) and was told that they could not help me, that they only work with providers. The provider told me that her Phonak rep was the problem spot. I was just told that I had to return both, AGAIN, and new ones would be sent to me but the provider is on vacation until Jan 30. Her helper will not even return my phone call, after 2 days. I am in limbo with no one at Phonak willing to help. There seems to be nothing I can do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I am reviewing the Phonak Audeo M-70r for both ears with the added TV connector at the tv. I been using these for 10 weeks and have had good results. The aids fit behind the ear with a small wire to the hearing tip that hides very well and goes into the hearing canal. The aids Bluetooth to my Android phone which gives me crystal clear handsfree telephone conversations. The phone has to be close by. I've also used it for music from my phone.

The added purchase of the TV connector was a good investment and very easy to use, even though the office paired them up before I got home. The connector works up to 12-15 feet through a wall and automatically connects and disconnects. I can adjust the volume by pressing one of the two buttons on the aid. I noticed others in the room liked the TV volume set at #10 which still was tiring with aids to listen too. The connector stops that and makes tv time lots more enjoyable and the TV volume can be set as low or mute because my adjustment is independent. I now hear stereo from my two aids clearly like I'm at the movies. My only complaint is I can't shut the connector off at the aid which sometimes would be a nice feature.

The aid is super nice, even though these are the only aids I have ever owned or tried. I hear sounds I've been missing for years. Been super nice in group settings, like restaurants. Almost too good. Some noisy restaurants I've even turned them down. With my smartphone, I can adjust the hearing to focus straight ahead and make a couple other adjustments, then save it for the future. I like this feature. The aids have made my restaurant experience much more enjoyable. Having a quiet talking friend, I can now carry on a conversation that's not so extremely exhausting.

This model aids are rechargeable and last me 15 hours and still have 40% or more charge left. My audiologist said he highly recommended this style and that he also recommended this model to his family members. This office I dealt with has a very high rating which made me feel comfortable with his recommendation. The exam was very extensive also. Wearing eyeglasses all my life, the aids, particularly the right side, have hurt my ear now and then but seems to be diminishing. I believe if I would of really made a big mistake by not going Bluetooth aids. In this case, the more bells and whistles lets you enjoy these pricy items.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I purchased Phonak Audeo BR Rechargeable & Cros B hearing aids back in March 2019 and they have been giving me A LOT of issues. My first issue was while I was on Vacation at the beach. I placed my hearing aids in the charging case at night, the next morning I went to turn them on and boom...NOTHING. I was "deaf" for the remainder of my vacation, worst vacation ever. I sent these back through my ENT and got a brand new 2nd pair. This pair did the same exact thing. Sent it back for the 2nd time.

At this point, the Phonak manufacturer thought it was a glitch while setting it up. So, when I got my 3rd brand new pair????, they suggested that I put my phone in Airplane mode whilst setting it up, which we did but I do NOT think it was a glitch because it still cuts in and out, it sounds muffled, very static, and almost like it is under water. Every single pair of these EXACT hearing aids are doing the SAME EXACT thing. My charging case DOES have a drying capsule in it. They just suck. I wish I had traded in my android phone for an Apple phone and purchased the Resound aids & CROS.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I purchased my Phonak Hearing Aids 7 years ago for over $4,000.. I was pleased with the sound quality, but noticed batteries provided by my Audiologists barely lasted 6 hours. My hearing loss is genetic, and has not changed in 7 yrs, (2013) but after about 3 1/2 years of using the Aids, I noticed changes in them, but the warranty was no longer good after 3 yrs. I expected these hearing aids to last well into 10 years for the expense of them. After only 7 yrs. they are not ale to be adjusted on the equipment at the Audiology office, and a week ago, the right hearing aid wire broke completely off the behind the ear unit.

I did not use these hearing aids daily, because of only needing them in certain situations, so these aids got half the amount of regular usage in 7 years. I want to say, do not go with the most expensive brand, its cheaper to buy new ones at a lower or moderate cost every 3 to 4 years, because the technology changes so often that your $5,000 aids will likely be obsolete after 2 years of use. My audiologists warned me about buying hearing aids advertised on TV, but had I been smarter, I would have not been swayed to buy the Phonak Garbage. Lesson learned.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have two Phonak hearing aids and would rate them as five star. Encouraged by the quality of the hearing aids and seeing a Phonak clip-on microphone advertised as something that would help with TV sound, I bought one. My TV is a modern smart TV. However, to get the microphone to work with it, I would have to buy a digital to analog audio converter. And presumably one the more expensive ones if I want better sound quality. Even then, I am not sure that my model of TV would allow the microphone to work without switching off the speaker bar that others want to use.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I bought mine a little more than two years ago to replace a pair of Sam's Club hearing aids that I unfortunately lost. The Phonaks worked about as well as my (much cheaper) Sam's clubs, but after 11 month one of the push buttons started to fail. The unit was sent in for repair under warranty. After another year, both batteries started to fail: They would only hold a charge of 6 hours. Was quoted a price of $ 600 for shipping and handling plus whatever the factory will charge for parts and labour. I decided not to throw good money after bad and will purchase a new Sam's or Costco unit with old fashioned user replaceable batteries!

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information