2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.64/5

Phonak offers hearing aids in a variety of styles, colors, sizes and technology levels. It designs hearing aids for children and teenagers, and the company provides custom fittings. Phonak also sells an invisible hearing aid, the Lyric, which is professionally inserted within your ear canal. Customers can choose hearing aids with Bluetooth features and rechargeable batteries.

BOTTOM LINE

Phonak offers a wide selection of hearing aids to suit every type of hearing loss. Its devices have multiple features, but the company doesn't provide prices online. Phonak has models for children.

PROS

• Rechargeable batteries
  • Bluetooth-capable
  • Models for children

CONS

• No prices on website

Top Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Just received new Audeo aids today. ... Exam four weeks ago and installation today. So far, I love my new hearing. I've read the preceding reviews, so right now it's a wait-and-see game. I am impressed with the volume controls on each earpiece receiver. I'm happy with the Phonak devices so far.

I’ve had high tone moderate hearing loss and aids since 2006. I’ve had Siemens, Resound and Phonak. The Phonak Audeo is a huge improvement over previous aids. These are the first aids I have had that allow me to hear and understand what’s on the TV at any volume level. That in itself says it all.

What is Phonak?

Phonak is a leading hearing aid manufacturer that offers cutting-edge hearing devices, including hearing aids for children and adults. Its devices offer clear sound, rechargeable batteries, smart device compatibility and wireless accessories to enhance your hearing experience. Phonak doesn't sell hearing aids directly, but you can check its website to see if there is a Phonak retailer near you. A local provider can help you choose and adjust to your new hearing aid, and you can reach out to Phonak customer service for additional questions or support.

Phonak Hearing Aid models

There are a variety of features available on Phonak hearing aids. Many models include smart device connectivity, a wide selection of colors and an emphasis on clear sound in any environment. Depending on the nature of your hearing loss and lifestyle, some models may be a better fit for you than others. For example, those with an active lifestyle may prefer Phonak’s rechargeable hearing aids that include a built-in battery that lasts up to 24 hours and only takes three hours to fully recharge.

Phonak offers the following models of hearing aids:

Phonak Audeo Marvel
    This receiver-in-canal hearing aid provides clear sound for those with mild to profound hearing loss. There are five Audeo Marvel models, all featuring smart device connectivity and customizable colors. Select Phonak Audeo models include rechargeable batteries.
    Phonak Audeo B
    The Audeo B automatically adjusts to the noise level of your environment, which allows for hands-free use wherever you go. This receiver-in-canal model is good for mild to severe hearing loss and includes the option for a built-in rechargeable battery. These hearing aids are smartphone-compatible and can connect to any Bluetooth phone.
    Phonak Virto Marvel
    The Virto Marvel is an in-the-ear hearing aid that is custom-fit to the unique contours of your ear for comfortable, discreet wear. Depending on the model, Phonak Virto hearing aids are ideal for mild to profound hearing loss. These hearing aids use a 10 or 312 zinc-air battery and do not have a rechargeable option. Virto hearing aids are available in titanium or a wide range of neutral colors.
    Phonak Naida Marvel
    This powerful behind-the-ear hearing aid offers strong amplification for those with moderate to profound hearing loss. It’s Bluetooth-enabled and resistant to water and dust.
    Phonak Sky Marvel
    The Sky Marvel is Phonak’s hearing aid for children and teens. It features a comfortable fit in a variety of colors. There are behind-the-ear models for mild to profound hearing loss, and some Sky Marvel models include built-in rechargeable batteries. These Phonak Bluetooth hearing aids can be connected to smartphones and other compatible devices to enjoy music, TV and more.
    Phonak Bolero Marvel
    The Bolero is a behind-the-ear hearing aid that provides a rich sound and comfortable fit. This hearing aid has the option for a rechargeable battery (for mild to severe hearing loss) or a replaceable 312 zinc-air battery (for mild to moderate hearing loss). Both options feature iOS and Android connectivity.
    Phonak CROS
    This single-sided hearing aid is designed to be worn in either ear to provide improved sound quality. Rechargeable batteries are available with CROS hearing aids, which are discreetly custom-fit or worn behind the ear.
    Phonak Lyric
    The Phonak Lyric is placed in the ear canal and is hidden from view. It provides a rich, natural sound and is designed to be worn full time for up to several months at a stretch. These devices aren’t ideal for everyone, so ask your hearing provider if Lyric hearing aids are right for you.

All devices are covered by a standard one-year Phonak warranty. This covers any manufacturing or material defects, though your hearing provider may also offer additional warranty coverage.

How much do Phonak Hearing Aids cost?

Phonak's hearing aid prices are set by your local provider, but devices start at $1,199 and cost up to $5,000 for high-end models. Many audiologists provide complimentary hearing aid assessments and fittings. Check Phonak’s website to find a list of local hearing centers or ask your preferred audiologist about Phonak hearing aids. Additional features, such as rechargeable batteries and Bluetooth connectivity, and more powerful devices are more expensive.

Many organizations offer assistance programs that can cover the full price of a hearing aid or help offset your costs. These programs are usually based on age or financial need. Many providers also offer health care financing to manage the cost of Phonak hearing aids, though you typically need decent credit to qualify for this option.

How to buy a Phonak Hearing Aid

The first step toward choosing a hearing aid is setting up a consultation with a local audiologist who sells Phonak hearing aids. You can find a list of local Phonak audiologists on Phonak’s website. The audiologist performs a hearing test and hearing aid consultation; many hearing centers offer these services free of charge. Once you’ve been evaluated, the audiologist recommends the best hearing aid for your needs and lifestyle.

After you’ve selected a Phonak hearing aid, the hearing care professional calibrates the device to your degree of hearing loss and fits it to your ear. If the hearing aid needs to be ordered, it's delivered to the hearing center within one to two weeks.

While Phonak devices are simple to program, they can be challenging for those who are unfamiliar with technology. A Phonak audiologist can show you how to program, clean and maintain the hearing aid, and they can also assist pairing it to your smart device if you have a Bluetooth-compatible hearing aid.

Phonak Hearing Aids FAQ

How do Phonak hearing aids work?
    The microphone on a Phonak hearing aid picks up sounds from the environment and relays them to the amplifier in your ear, which allows you to hear ambient sounds and voices clearly.
    What is a Phonak ComPilot?
    Phonak ComPilot is a wireless accessory that connects to a variety of audio sources to stream media and phone calls directly to the hearing aid. You can connect to your ComPilot via Bluetooth or direct input.
    What is a telecoil?
    A telecoil is a thin copper wire that picks up signals from telephones and loop systems at theaters, concert halls and other public venues. This allows you to bypass the microphone for phone calls and hear more easily in environments with a lot of background noise.
    How do you put a Phonak hearing aid in?
    To insert a Phonak hearing aid, hold the tubing near the earmold and place it into your ear canal. Then rotate the earmold and slip the receiver or hook behind your ear. If you have a Phonak Lyric hearing aid, this device needs to be placed by a professional.
    What maintenance is required for Phonak hearing aids?
    You should regularly clean your hearing aid with a soft, dry cloth and keep the device away from dust, water and anything else that may clog it. An audiologist can assist you with removing earwax residue from the device as well as any maintenance or repair needs.
    Do I need to get a fitting to buy a Phonak hearing aid?
    Yes, usually an audiologist will recommend a Phonak hearing aid fitting to ensure that the device is correctly adjusted and programmed to suit your hearing loss.

Are Phonak Hearing Aids good?

Phonak is a leading hearing aid manufacturer with a variety of devices available for those with mild to profound hearing loss. It offers an invisible hearing aid that’s both discreet and comfortable as well as Bluetooth-capable and rechargeable devices. It’s difficult to find cost information online, however, so you need to schedule an appointment with a Phonak audiologist for accurate pricing.

Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

This is my second set of hearing aids. The technology continues to improve very quickly. They are Bluetooth compatible so I can answer my phone just by pushing a button. The phone app allows me to set specific programs i.e., TV, restaurant, car with just the right volume. The only feature I miss Is the ability to turn them off at the hearing aid without disengaging the battery. The batteries do not last as long as in my previous set.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Received these through the VA. My first pair of hearing aids ever. That was in 2018; 28months ago. I don't wear them religiously as I still work with power tools and heavy equipment quite frequently. But I really like this pair of hearing aids. They are easy: to insert, to remove, to turn on/off, to adjust, to maintain, to identify R & L, and I don't have to fumble with batteries as they are re-chargeable. I put them to bed when I go to bed, and they're ready the next day for as long as I can last.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

The Phonak hearing aids I recently purchased are amazing! They have so many nice extra features such as Bluetooth connectivity and tinnitus settings that do a great deal towards mitigating my bothersome tinnitus. I have used Phonak Hearing aids for over 20 years and can honestly say they are the very best hearing aids made. I have tried other brands that we sorta okay but nothing compares to the quality of Phonak.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

I received my Phonak hearing aids on 2020. I truly enjoy these hearing aids because they are small and well hidden from sight. The hearing aids are very easy to maintain. What I like is that they can be connected to bluetooth and be programmed to different setting for instance when you are watching tv, or in a restaurant. You can increase and decrease the volume etc. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

After noting progressive hearing loss, my physician prescribed bilateral hearing aids. The Hearing Society recommended the Phonak brand and it has been a godsend. I had not realized how bad my hearing had become until I started wearing these aids. The reception is so clear. The aids are colored to my skin tone and fit into my ear canal so are not easily visible to others. I also love that they are equipped with a volume wheel to adjust the amount of sound I am receiving. They are so comfortable that I barely know they are there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

These Phonak Hearing Aids were purchased from COSTCO about five (5) years ago and have worked perfectly all that time. I originally expected about three (3) of service - but I am very happy with the long life of both of the Aids. Along with the Hearing Aids - I purchased the Bluetooth accessories which permit the Hearing Aids to be used for Phones and Music.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

My Phonax hearing aids are awesome. They help my hearing very well, they are rechargeable and are Bluetooth capable, which is very nice. This is my second pair of PHONAX hearing aids, and I think they are the best in the market.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

My Phonak hearing aids have made my life much better. My aids are Bluetooth compatible which allows me to answer and talk on my mobile phone. I hear the audio and can understand the conversation much better. I can also hear my TV, music audio device, and radio thru my Bluetooth hearing aids. I am glad I got the hearing aids.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Phonak offered only one model, and not the newest one. Their service program I have not tested, but the terms are encouraging. They offer a warranty, free upkeep, rechargeable battery replacement and online support. With brick and mortar shops disappearing that is comforting.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

My Phone hearing aid works. I can hear better now, and don't have to raise the volume on my TV. It's easy to use and the "free" batteries and filters are nice touches. The battery last 3 days and there is a definite warning it's almost out.

Phonak Hearing Aids author review by Shelley Webb

Phonak has a solution for all types of hearing loss. It has seven product lines: Four lines cater to those with profound hearing loss and one serves single-sided deafness. Consult with your local provider about financing options. Phonak’s website also provides a list of organizations that may be able to assist you financially.

• Products: Seven model lines are available, featuring receiver-in-canal, in-the-ear and behind-the-ear styles. A completely invisible design, called the Lyric, is also available. Phonak sells the CROS, as well, which is for people with single-sided hearing.

• Features: These hearing aids are available with rechargeable batteries, Bluetooth compatibility and smartphone connectivity. Some models are water- and dust-resistant, and there are options for colors.

• Trial and warranty: Phonak offers a one-year warranty on all hearing aids. Check with your local provider to learn if a free trial is available.

• Locations: There are no physical locations for this company, but customers can find a local seller on its website.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information