2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.42/5

Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I am reviewing the Phonak Audeo M-70r for both ears with the added TV connector at the tv. I been using these for 10 weeks and have had good results. The aids fit behind the ear with a small wire to the hearing tip that hides very well and goes into the hearing canal. The aids Bluetooth to my Android phone which gives me crystal clear handsfree telephone conversations. The phone has to be close by. I've also used it for music from my phone.

The added purchase of the TV connector was a good investment and very easy to use, even though the office paired them up before I got home. The connector works up to 12-15 feet through a wall and automatically connects and disconnects. I can adjust the volume by pressing one of the two buttons on the aid. I noticed others in the room liked the TV volume set at #10 which still was tiring with aids to listen too. The connector stops that and makes tv time lots more enjoyable and the TV volume can be set as low or mute because my adjustment is independent. I now hear stereo from my two aids clearly like I'm at the movies. My only complaint is I can't shut the connector off at the aid which sometimes would be a nice feature.

The aid is super nice, even though these are the only aids I have ever owned or tried. I hear sounds I've been missing for years. Been super nice in group settings, like restaurants. Almost too good. Some noisy restaurants I've even turned them down. With my smartphone, I can adjust the hearing to focus straight ahead and make a couple other adjustments, then save it for the future. I like this feature. The aids have made my restaurant experience much more enjoyable. Having a quiet talking friend, I can now carry on a conversation that's not so extremely exhausting.

This model aids are rechargeable and last me 15 hours and still have 40% or more charge left. My audiologist said he highly recommended this style and that he also recommended this model to his family members. This office I dealt with has a very high rating which made me feel comfortable with his recommendation. The exam was very extensive also. Wearing eyeglasses all my life, the aids, particularly the right side, have hurt my ear now and then but seems to be diminishing. I believe if I would of really made a big mistake by not going Bluetooth aids. In this case, the more bells and whistles lets you enjoy these pricy items.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I purchased my 1st pair of Phonak Bolero B-90's in September of 2019, and these are the greatest, I bought the ear mold type with batteries, and I could not be happier, they're comfortable, and my hearing is the best it's been in a long time. The first hearing aid was just for one ear, as my hearing got worse I had to get a pair, so the background noise is at a minimum and yet I can hear a person talking to me in a crowded room, there's a switch for phone conversation, and I don't have to blare the TV. I tried Oticon the wire type and they drove me nuts, I went back 4 times for adjustment and just could not kill the background noise so the Phonak's have been a real blessing, they worked for me right out of the gate, I did go to a professional for hearing testing, and fitting and these have been a real charm.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

High tone moderate hearing loss, aids since 2006. Have had, in sequence Siemens, Resound, Siemens, and now Phonak. Have also has trials of Starkey and most recently Signia (Siemens). Phonak Audeo B90 trialed 2 months ago. A huge improvement over previous aids. As next gen Phonak M aids due shortly, bought a used pair of B90’s with the intention of moving to M90’s when they became available. But I won’t at least not for the time being as these B90’s meet all my needs, and cost including programming 1/4 of what a new pair would cost.

These are the first aids I have had that allow me to hear and UNDERSTAND what’s on the TV at any volume level. That in itself says it all. If you check the specs, the improvement from generation to generation of aids is often not great, with the exception of moving from thin tube to RIC aids, so bargains to be had. And of course you need an audiologist to do the programming, and they are a variable commodity! And as with any technology subject to failures, both intrinsic, and user introduced. And as always, choose your audiologist wisely, or consider doing it yourself, and yes it is possible.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am embarrassed to say that I bought my Phonak hearing aids over a decade ago. I have a lot of natural hearing left, so I have an over-the-ear with an ear canal mold. I remember how amazed I was the first time I heard crackling paper. I had probably been missing that sound my whole life. I had some luck 2 years ago having them serviced at my doctor's office (yay HMO!!). They have been like the battery bunny, they keep going and going and going. I am finally financially able to replace them and will seriously consider the same brand. My experience with Phonak has been excellent!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have a winter home in Chiang Mai, Thailand that is in a gated community with a very nice, large, and DEEP swimming pool. A few weeks ago I went for a swim and dove into the deep end of the pool. When I got home I realized I had not removed my hearing aids! By this time it was dark and the pool was closed. Next day I went to a department store and purchased a pair of swimming goggles. Went back to the pool and started searching the bottom of the pool for the aids. Miraculously there they were resting on the bottom of the deep end of the pool (about 8 feet deep!). They had been there for almost 24 hours by now.

Fortunately, the COSTCO audiologist had pushed me to purchase a little hearing aid 'dryer'-- cost around US$35 --since I swim daily. I placed the aids and batteries in the dryer for the 30-minute drying cycle. To my astonishment they cranked up right away (even using the SAME batteries that went down with the ship!!) and have been fine ever since! I hope this water immersion has not done any significant damage. I guess time will tell. But I must say I was flabbergasted they still worked just fine! NOTE: purchasing that little 'dryer' accessory was a wise move if you are a swimmer like I!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I'll try to keep this short. I bought the aids in April 1999. For the first 4 months they worked beautifully. Then one would not turn on. I had to return it to the purchase provider. It took several weeks to get repaired because Phonak was out of parts AND complete hearing aids. I can't even imagine how an international company can run of repair parts.

After 4 weeks it was returned with an invoice that said that basically everything but the case was replaced. The repaired aid had such poor sound quality it was basically useless and I could no longer hear the TV, people in business meetings, or in restaurants. Back it went and was returned with a promise that I would hear people better because it was misadjusted. Back to me after 2 weeks. It was worse than before even though the speaker had been replaced again.

Now, 6 months later I still have no working hearing aids. I called Phonak (USA) and was told that they could not help me, that they only work with providers. The provider told me that her Phonak rep was the problem spot. I was just told that I had to return both, AGAIN, and new ones would be sent to me but the provider is on vacation until Jan 30. Her helper will not even return my phone call, after 2 days. I am in limbo with no one at Phonak willing to help. There seems to be nothing I can do.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I purchased Phonak Audeo BR Rechargeable & Cros B hearing aids back in March 2019 and they have been giving me A LOT of issues. My first issue was while I was on Vacation at the beach. I placed my hearing aids in the charging case at night, the next morning I went to turn them on and boom...NOTHING. I was "deaf" for the remainder of my vacation, worst vacation ever. I sent these back through my ENT and got a brand new 2nd pair. This pair did the same exact thing. Sent it back for the 2nd time.

At this point, the Phonak manufacturer thought it was a glitch while setting it up. So, when I got my 3rd brand new pair????, they suggested that I put my phone in Airplane mode whilst setting it up, which we did but I do NOT think it was a glitch because it still cuts in and out, it sounds muffled, very static, and almost like it is under water. Every single pair of these EXACT hearing aids are doing the SAME EXACT thing. My charging case DOES have a drying capsule in it. They just suck. I wish I had traded in my android phone for an Apple phone and purchased the Resound aids & CROS.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I purchased my Phonak Hearing Aids 7 years ago for over $4,000.. I was pleased with the sound quality, but noticed batteries provided by my Audiologists barely lasted 6 hours. My hearing loss is genetic, and has not changed in 7 yrs, (2013) but after about 3 1/2 years of using the Aids, I noticed changes in them, but the warranty was no longer good after 3 yrs. I expected these hearing aids to last well into 10 years for the expense of them. After only 7 yrs. they are not ale to be adjusted on the equipment at the Audiology office, and a week ago, the right hearing aid wire broke completely off the behind the ear unit.

I did not use these hearing aids daily, because of only needing them in certain situations, so these aids got half the amount of regular usage in 7 years. I want to say, do not go with the most expensive brand, its cheaper to buy new ones at a lower or moderate cost every 3 to 4 years, because the technology changes so often that your $5,000 aids will likely be obsolete after 2 years of use. My audiologists warned me about buying hearing aids advertised on TV, but had I been smarter, I would have not been swayed to buy the Phonak Garbage. Lesson learned.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have two Phonak hearing aids and would rate them as five star. Encouraged by the quality of the hearing aids and seeing a Phonak clip-on microphone advertised as something that would help with TV sound, I bought one. My TV is a modern smart TV. However, to get the microphone to work with it, I would have to buy a digital to analog audio converter. And presumably one the more expensive ones if I want better sound quality. Even then, I am not sure that my model of TV would allow the microphone to work without switching off the speaker bar that others want to use.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I bought mine a little more than two years ago to replace a pair of Sam's Club hearing aids that I unfortunately lost. The Phonaks worked about as well as my (much cheaper) Sam's clubs, but after 11 month one of the push buttons started to fail. The unit was sent in for repair under warranty. After another year, both batteries started to fail: They would only hold a charge of 6 hours. Was quoted a price of $ 600 for shipping and handling plus whatever the factory will charge for parts and labour. I decided not to throw good money after bad and will purchase a new Sam's or Costco unit with old fashioned user replaceable batteries!

Not sure about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right hearing aid for you.

Phonak Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Phonak is an international hearing aid manufacturer with subsidiaries and distribution partners in more than 100 countries. Founded in 1947, Phonak is a member of the Sonova group of hearing aid companies.

• Convenience: Phonak is a leading worldwide hearing aid brand, so it is easy to find an audiologist or hearing specialist near you. Use the Phonak website to locate a provider, then schedule an appointment to find out what Phonak hearing solution is best for your needs.

• Technological innovator: Phonak has developed multiple hearing aid technologies that are not available from other brands, including the Quest platform which uses unique binaural VoiceStream technology.

• Smallest options available: In keeping with their focus on innovation, Phonak consistently produces some of the smallest devices on the market for those who want their hearing aids to be discreet. Its new Lyric in-the-canal device is the smallest on the market and is completely invisible when worn correctly.

• Kid-friendly options: Phonak offers solutions for listeners of all ages, including infants, toddlers, school-aged children and teens. Phonak also has developed an iPad app to teach children with hearing difficulties and the people around them how to get comfortable with hearing aids.

• Tinnitus help: For those with tinnitus, Phonak has developed several sound therapy options to help reduce its annoyance. Users can stream ambient sound from the Tinnitus Balance noise generator directly to their hearing aids, or use the mobile app without hearing aids to mask the ringing and buzzing sound.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information