2.41/5

Need a good hearing aid?

Need a good hearing aid?

83 Phonak Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 14, 2019

High tone moderate hearing loss, aids since 2006. Have had, in sequence Siemens, Resound, Siemens, and now Phonak. Have also has trials of Starkey and most recently Signia (Siemens). Phonak Audeo B90 trialed 2 months ago. A huge improvement over previous aids. As next gen Phonak M aids due shortly, bought a used pair of B90’s with the intention of moving to M90’s when they became available. But I won’t at least not for the time being as these B90’s meet all my needs, and cost including programming 1/4 of what a new pair would cost.

These are the first aids I have had that allow me to hear and UNDERSTAND what’s on the TV at any volume level. That in itself says it all. If you check the specs, the improvement from generation to generation of aids is often not great, with the exception of moving from thin tube to RIC aids, so bargains to be had. And of course you need an audiologist to do the programming, and they are a variable commodity! And as with any technology subject to failures, both intrinsic, and user introduced. And as always, choose your audiologist wisely, or consider doing it yourself, and yes it is possible.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am embarrassed to say that I bought my Phonak hearing aids over a decade ago. I have a lot of natural hearing left, so I have an over-the-ear with an ear canal mold. I remember how amazed I was the first time I heard crackling paper. I had probably been missing that sound my whole life. I had some luck 2 years ago having them serviced at my doctor's office (yay HMO!!). They have been like the battery bunny, they keep going and going and going. I am finally financially able to replace them and will seriously consider the same brand. My experience with Phonak has been excellent!

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have a winter home in Chiang Mai, Thailand that is in a gated community with a very nice, large, and DEEP swimming pool. A few weeks ago I went for a swim and dove into the deep end of the pool. When I got home I realized I had not removed my hearing aids! By this time it was dark and the pool was closed. Next day I went to a department store and purchased a pair of swimming goggles. Went back to the pool and started searching the bottom of the pool for the aids. Miraculously there they were resting on the bottom of the deep end of the pool (about 8 feet deep!). They had been there for almost 24 hours by now.

Fortunately, the COSTCO audiologist had pushed me to purchase a little hearing aid 'dryer'-- cost around US$35 --since I swim daily. I placed the aids and batteries in the dryer for the 30-minute drying cycle. To my astonishment they cranked up right away (even using the SAME batteries that went down with the ship!!) and have been fine ever since! I hope this water immersion has not done any significant damage. I guess time will tell. But I must say I was flabbergasted they still worked just fine! NOTE: purchasing that little 'dryer' accessory was a wise move if you are a swimmer like I!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

The fact that there are so many complaints about hearing aids may not come from the hearing aids themselves. Maybe it is the consumer. They are a computer, nothing will be like the natural ear. Background noise was an issue when I had great hearing, so why would it change when I have crappy hearing? If the hearing aid stops working, maybe it's wax...

Apparently when the hearing aid is PLUGGED, it stops working as well. (And yes, it can happen within a day.) Phonak hearing aids allow for me to hear the football game coming over the speaker in a loud and crowded bar. That in itself tells me they work well. The battery drain in the 13 hearing aid seems to be awesome- I get around 14 days of battery life and the hearing aid connects to my Samsung phone for phone calls. It's only on one side, which is all I would expect - (I mean... who puts their phone on both ears at the same time? Telemarketers... that's it!) If you keep the hearing aid clean and wear it all day long, I think your brain just gets used to how amazing the world actually is. With all the studies of dementia and hearing loss being connected, why would anyone want to go without some help?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The VA provided a pair of Phonak Cros aids for me 2 years ago. They are the first ones I've owned so nothing to compare to but they've been great for me. My hearing is 26%. Previously I had an extremely hard time understanding most conversation. Now I can understand most if I am facing the one speaking and within 10 feet or so. The aids have worked flawlessly except for a speaker that failed in the right one a few weeks ago. VA repairman replaced it while I waited. Possibly my fault for forgetting to remove it before showering a few times.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I purchased Phonak Audeo B70 with CROS B a few months ago and switched to Starkey (the only other hearing aid with a CROS system, I was told) when the aid kept switching programs, primarily when on the phone, then later, in other settings. This was a problem since telephone is one of my primary sources of communication at work. The Starkey hearing aids had other flaws, so I recently switched back to Phonak Audeo. I have had them reprogrammed and followed all of the recommendations/guidelines, including locating and placing the receiver on the "sweet spot"; however, I am still encountering the same problem.

An additional strange idiosyncrasy is that the sound of the dial tone has a hint of analogue to it, rather than digital. I was told that it is because the "autosense" picked up a change in position; however, I have never had that problem with my old hearing aid. While I like the CROS system and functioning of the Phonak Audeo in the other environments, I am totally dissatisfied with paying so much money for a system that is not telephone compatible.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Bought top of the range Phonak Hearing Aids which worked beautifully to start with, then started eating batteries and the volume control was intermittent. I bought them on holiday and couldn't return to the original shop, but Phonak's system is that the individual sellers are paid upfront for after-sales servicing while the aids are under warranty, so -- according to them -- you have to go back to the person you bought them from, or you need to pay for checks/repairs, even though the hearing aids are faulty. Unfortunately Phonak is part of a Swiss company (Sonova) and they don't reply to emails, so their complaints system is about as useful as their hearing aids.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Phonak Audeo B-Direct is the best I have experienced. 62 year old male-Lifelong wearer. TV connect-Great for shows-Music good. Live Music-Wow! Never knew what I was missing. Conversation-Excellent. Not perfect, but the best I ever had. I WANT to wear these!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The VA supplied me with a pair of Phonak hearing aids and they worked perfectly for 5 years. Then the VA supplied me with a new pair and again, they worked perfectly for 5 years. Today I picked up my third pair from the VA and they are rechargeable. I highly recommend Phonak.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Purchasing my Phonak Hearing Aids in spring of 2015 worked well at first. Then I thought my hearing was declining. Found out the hearing Aids were. They have been in for repair more than my ear. Warranty ran out at the end of 3 yrs. They immediately started failing. Outlet where they were purchased fixed them for 75. 2 mo. later they are in need of another repair. No warranty. I said, "Forget it. I will use a horn."

Phonak Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Phonak is an international hearing aid manufacturer with subsidiaries and distribution partners in more than 100 countries. Founded in 1947, Phonak is a member of the Sonova group of hearing aid companies.

• Convenience: Phonak is a leading worldwide hearing aid brand, so it is easy to find an audiologist or hearing specialist near you. Use the Phonak website to locate a provider, then schedule an appointment to find out what Phonak hearing solution is best for your needs.

• Technological innovator: Phonak has developed multiple hearing aid technologies that are not available from other brands, including the Quest platform which uses unique binaural VoiceStream technology.

• Smallest options available: In keeping with their focus on innovation, Phonak consistently produces some of the smallest devices on the market for those who want their hearing aids to be discreet. Its new Lyric in-the-canal device is the smallest on the market and is completely invisible when worn correctly.

• Kid-friendly options: Phonak offers solutions for listeners of all ages, including infants, toddlers, school-aged children and teens. Phonak also has developed an iPad app to teach children with hearing difficulties and the people around them how to get comfortable with hearing aids.

• Tinnitus help: For those with tinnitus, Phonak has developed several sound therapy options to help reduce its annoyance. Users can stream ambient sound from the Tinnitus Balance noise generator directly to their hearing aids, or use the mobile app without hearing aids to mask the ringing and buzzing sound.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information