3.8/5 (167 ratings)

About Phonak Hearing Aids

Phonak offers hearing aids in a variety of styles, colors, sizes and technology levels. It designs hearing aids for children and teenagers, and the company provides custom fittings. Phonak also sells an invisible hearing aid, the Lyric, which is professionally inserted within your ear canal. Customers can choose hearing aids with Bluetooth features and rechargeable batteries.

Find Hearing Aids partners near you

Pros

• Rechargeable batteries
    • Bluetooth-capable
    • Models for children

Cons

• No prices on website

Bottom Line

Phonak offers a wide selection of hearing aids to suit every type of hearing loss. Its devices have multiple features, but the company doesn't provide prices online. Phonak has models for children.

Top Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Just received new Audeo aids today. ... Exam four weeks ago and installation today. So far, I love my new hearing. I've read the preceding reviews, so right now it's a wait-and-se...

Verified

I’ve had high tone moderate hearing loss and aids since 2006. I’ve had Siemens, Resound and Phonak. The Phonak Audeo is a huge improvement over previous aids. These are the first ...

What is Phonak?

Phonak is a leading hearing aid manufacturer that offers cutting-edge hearing devices, including hearing aids for children and adults. Its devices offer clear sound, rechargeable batteries, smart device compatibility and wireless accessories to enhance your hearing experience. Phonak doesn't sell hearing aids directly, but you can check its website to see if there is a Phonak retailer near you. A local provider can help you choose and adjust to your new hearing aid, and you can reach out to Phonak customer service for additional questions or support.

Phonak Hearing Aid models

There are a variety of features available on Phonak hearing aids. Many models include smart device connectivity, a wide selection of colors and an emphasis on clear sound in any environment. Depending on the nature of your hearing loss and lifestyle, some models may be a better fit for you than others. For example, those with an active lifestyle may prefer Phonak’s rechargeable hearing aids that include a built-in battery that lasts up to 24 hours and only takes three hours to fully recharge.

Phonak offers the following models of hearing aids:

Phonak Audeo Marvel
    This receiver-in-canal hearing aid provides clear sound for those with mild to profound hearing loss. There are five Audeo Marvel models, all featuring smart device connectivity and customizable colors. Select Phonak Audeo models include rechargeable batteries.
    Phonak Audeo B
    The Audeo B automatically adjusts to the noise level of your environment, which allows for hands-free use wherever you go. This receiver-in-canal model is good for mild to severe hearing loss and includes the option for a built-in rechargeable battery. These hearing aids are smartphone-compatible and can connect to any Bluetooth phone.
    Phonak Virto Marvel
    The Virto Marvel is an in-the-ear hearing aid that is custom-fit to the unique contours of your ear for comfortable, discreet wear. Depending on the model, Phonak Virto hearing aids are ideal for mild to profound hearing loss. These hearing aids use a 10 or 312 zinc-air battery and do not have a rechargeable option. Virto hearing aids are available in titanium or a wide range of neutral colors.
    Phonak Naida Marvel
    This powerful behind-the-ear hearing aid offers strong amplification for those with moderate to profound hearing loss. It’s Bluetooth-enabled and resistant to water and dust.
    Phonak Sky Marvel
    The Sky Marvel is Phonak’s hearing aid for children and teens. It features a comfortable fit in a variety of colors. There are behind-the-ear models for mild to profound hearing loss, and some Sky Marvel models include built-in rechargeable batteries. These Phonak Bluetooth hearing aids can be connected to smartphones and other compatible devices to enjoy music, TV and more.
    Phonak Bolero Marvel
    The Bolero is a behind-the-ear hearing aid that provides a rich sound and comfortable fit. This hearing aid has the option for a rechargeable battery (for mild to severe hearing loss) or a replaceable 312 zinc-air battery (for mild to moderate hearing loss). Both options feature iOS and Android connectivity.
    Phonak CROS
    This single-sided hearing aid is designed to be worn in either ear to provide improved sound quality. Rechargeable batteries are available with CROS hearing aids, which are discreetly custom-fit or worn behind the ear.
    Phonak Lyric
    The Phonak Lyric is placed in the ear canal and is hidden from view. It provides a rich, natural sound and is designed to be worn full time for up to several months at a stretch. These devices aren’t ideal for everyone, so ask your hearing provider if Lyric hearing aids are right for you.

All devices are covered by a standard one-year Phonak warranty. This covers any manufacturing or material defects, though your hearing provider may also offer additional warranty coverage.

How much do Phonak Hearing Aids cost?

Phonak's hearing aid prices are set by your local provider, but devices start at $1,199 and cost up to $5,000 for high-end models. Many audiologists provide complimentary hearing aid assessments and fittings. Check Phonak’s website to find a list of local hearing centers or ask your preferred audiologist about Phonak hearing aids. Additional features, such as rechargeable batteries and Bluetooth connectivity, and more powerful devices are more expensive.

Many organizations offer assistance programs that can cover the full price of a hearing aid or help offset your costs. These programs are usually based on age or financial need. Many providers also offer health care financing to manage the cost of Phonak hearing aids, though you typically need decent credit to qualify for this option.

How to buy a Phonak Hearing Aid

The first step toward choosing a hearing aid is setting up a consultation with a local audiologist who sells Phonak hearing aids. You can find a list of local Phonak audiologists on Phonak’s website. The audiologist performs a hearing test and hearing aid consultation; many hearing centers offer these services free of charge. Once you’ve been evaluated, the audiologist recommends the best hearing aid for your needs and lifestyle.

After you’ve selected a Phonak hearing aid, the hearing care professional calibrates the device to your degree of hearing loss and fits it to your ear. If the hearing aid needs to be ordered, it's delivered to the hearing center within one to two weeks.

While Phonak devices are simple to program, they can be challenging for those who are unfamiliar with technology. A Phonak audiologist can show you how to program, clean and maintain the hearing aid, and they can also assist pairing it to your smart device if you have a Bluetooth-compatible hearing aid.

Phonak Hearing Aids FAQ

How do Phonak hearing aids work?

The microphone on a Phonak hearing aid picks up sounds from the environment and relays them to the amplifier in your ear, which allows you to hear ambient sounds and voices clearly.

What is a Phonak ComPilot?

Phonak ComPilot is a wireless accessory that connects to a variety of audio sources to stream media and phone calls directly to the hearing aid. You can connect to your ComPilot via Bluetooth or direct input.

What is a telecoil?

A telecoil is a thin copper wire that picks up signals from telephones and loop systems at theaters, concert halls and other public venues. This allows you to bypass the microphone for phone calls and hear more easily in environments with a lot of background noise.

How do you put a Phonak hearing aid in?

To insert a Phonak hearing aid, hold the tubing near the earmold and place it into your ear canal. Then rotate the earmold and slip the receiver or hook behind your ear. If you have a Phonak Lyric hearing aid, this device needs to be placed by a professional.

What maintenance is required for Phonak hearing aids?

You should regularly clean your hearing aid with a soft, dry cloth and keep the device away from dust, water and anything else that may clog it. An audiologist can assist you with removing earwax residue from the device as well as any maintenance or repair needs.

Do I need to get a fitting to buy a Phonak hearing aid?

Yes, usually an audiologist will recommend a Phonak hearing aid fitting to ensure that the device is correctly adjusted and programmed to suit your hearing loss.

Are Phonak Hearing Aids good?

Phonak is a leading hearing aid manufacturer with a variety of devices available for those with mild to profound hearing loss. It offers an invisible hearing aid that’s both discreet and comfortable as well as Bluetooth-capable and rechargeable devices. It’s difficult to find cost information online, however, so you need to schedule an appointment with a Phonak audiologist for accurate pricing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I have purchased supposedly "state of the art" Phonak hearing aids. I have been back to the retailer a number of times to complain about the fact that they simply magnify blur. They are good for streaming news program on TV but useless for the likes of movies where there are multiply people engaged in conversation. I still can't hear conversations around a table or in a group of 2 or 3. I have to be face to face with the person with whom I am speaking. I am unable to hear conversation once a microphone is used - the result is just a jumbled mess. My aids are 14 months old and now I have one that is not even able to be switched on. I would advise consumers to purchase a bottom of the range product because the money spent on the top range aids is a total waste - they do not work. I can't even keep mine in my ear - they fall out!!!

Original review: May 24, 2022

To be clear, I'm not sure the hearing aids are the problem. I believe the failure is corporate communications. Phonak has advertised these aids can be adjusted via phone from a provider but just try and find someone to do it. Phonak hasn't even sent me one name of a person that can do that. Three contacts and all I got was a link that wouldn't open. I've tried contacting them multiple times with no results. They got my money and I've got a pair of lousy paperweights. I tried to communicate to Phonak I need a phone number and name of an audiologist that does phone adjustments. I only got the lousy link and no further response. Those are the results after 4 contacts with the company. As far as the hearing aids, I can tell you telecoil on hearing aids is useless. I bought the ones with telecoil in hopes of getting a better understanding of voice in theaters. Don't waste your money. Trying to hear with telecoil is worse than without.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2022

A lot of experience involves the hearing provider. In my case he was not familiar with the Phonak brand which my insurance would pay for. It seems he likes to push the 5 grand or more versions. That seems to be common in the industry. Most are like our version of used car salespersons before carmax. Promise you and not deliver after the sale. I have these aids for 3 days now after my oticon aids were lost. It took over 3 months to get these which is another issue. Why the long wait? I'm getting a lot of feedback noise and the mics pick up outside noise when I'm on a phone call. The domes are a lot smaller with these aids which might be the issue and lowering the sound helps but one of my ears is bad the other good.

The app is very good so far but I could see where an elderly person might have difficulties. I'm 69 and pretty good at apps! I love the recharge ones and hopefully will get the issues resolved. My pair didn't come with paper instructions which would have helped. Still I wonder why only some brands and providers are approved by advantage plans? These were supposedly $3000 but I see them for a lot less without insurance. I would love to try those available without the middle man.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I purchased a pair of PHONAK hearing aid, which has BlueTooth built-in. I have it probably more than 6 months to a year. In this pair of hearing aid, one is a Master and the other is a Slave. The software which controls both hearing aid is located on my iPhone. I can adjust the volume of each hearing aid from my iPhone. It is a high-tech staff. When this pair work normally, it is the most excellent hearing aid I ever have had, but it has reliability issue. I sent it back two times for repair or replacement but the same problem after repaired/replaced. It was always the slave side, the volume came and went. It is very frustrating that in one minute, I could hear the speech, and next few minutes it totally cut off. I will not recommend using this product.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I have had my Phonak Paradise P90's with custom ear pieces for about 2 yrs now. I have been to my audiologist many times to get them adjusted to no avail. These hearing aids are junk. I would recommend to anyone that needs hearing aids to get the cheapest they can find. That way if they don't work you won't be saying why did I spend $6K for these pieces of junk, which I feel the Phonak Paradise P90's are.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

My experience is that the hearing aids by Phonak are made to be very vulnerable to use. E.g. The little wire of the receiver of my right aid slipped out. Now I have problems finding someone to repair this PHONAK aid for which I paid each over $3,000.00 from an audiologist at CIGNA. :-(

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

My name is Billy and I'm born with less than %5 hearing. I had a hearing aid with an off/on switch that was good for 17 years since I was 8 years old...17 years. I'm 42 years old man now. I bought Phonak hearing aids and they ALL only come with a battery pullout to shut it on or off. This method makes the hearing aid expire/get damage MUCH faster from repeatedly pulling out the battery. This is my third visit to the audiologist to get it fixed this year, each fix costs me $600 dollars!! This makes the hearing aid wear and tear rendering the hearing aid useless after a year...This method phonak made was designed to "set" us up to pocket more money for them from failing hearing aids.

I paid $6000 dollars of my own pocket to buy those hearing aids, I'm a server and I don't make that much money. Phonak's chooses to build hearing aids that renders them useless after a year or two. That's not fair!! That's setting us up to fail so they can pocket more money! Outrageous! Why did they decide to make hearing aids that way with no on/off switch?! That's some sneaky corrupted method so they can pocket more money!! I'm pissed!! That's flat out daylight robbery!!

Original review: May 22, 2021

I would never buy another one of these hearing aids! It's been a nightmare from the word go! My initial experience was that it wouldn't work for me but Fire Audiology in Grand Forks, N.D. refused to listen to me and so I ended up keeping it. It broke down after 6 months of use and of course after their lousy warranty ended. Since then I've had it gutted and repaired 3 times and now it's dead again! I'm angry, I'm frustrated and I'm disgusted with this entire process. As a hearing impaired person, not only do I need a hearing aid, but I don't need to be paying $200-$400 for each repair job. Each repair hasn't even lasted a year before it breaks down again. Absolute rubbish! I would never recommend this to anyone! I really think they owe me a full refund on my original purchase so I can replace it, plus the $1000.00 I spent getting it repaired!

Original review: May 2, 2021

Very hard to install in the ear canal. Should come with a can of wd40 and a pair of needle nose pliers. They are to hard to insert, I'm sure I'll be breaking the wires off before long. They are not good for people with large fingers. Also the batteries don't last as long as other hearing aids.

Original review: April 5, 2021

Costco hearing aid department poor customer relations. Came in looking for rechargeable and informed them about a my tinnitus. Stuck me with removable batteries, and never addressed the tinnitus. KS 9.0 Phonak do not support tinnitus I found out. Lot of wind noise, no tinnitus support, lots of background noise, no battery level indicator except when battery is dead, tv connector sound very good but very little control have to turn off unit physically or hearing aids will connect every time you enter the room. Returned to Costco. Requested to return due to all of the issues, they only would refund me, absolutely would not fit me into a different brand. They made every excuse why they wouldn’t. Told me to go see my ent a let them treat me. Staff wore KS 9.0 and did not use any of the blue tooth or apps and felt it was his way or the highway.

Find a Hearing Aid partner near you.

Phonak Hearing Aids author review by Kathryn Parkman

Phonak has a solution for all types of hearing loss. It has seven product lines: Four lines cater to those with profound hearing loss and one serves single-sided deafness. Consult with your local provider about financing options. Phonak’s website also provides a list of organizations that may be able to assist you financially.

• Products: Seven model lines are available, featuring receiver-in-canal, in-the-ear and behind-the-ear styles. A completely invisible design, called the Lyric, is also available. Phonak sells the CROS, as well, which is for people with single-sided hearing.

• Features: These hearing aids are available with rechargeable batteries, Bluetooth compatibility and smartphone connectivity. Some models are water- and dust-resistant, and there are options for colors.

• Trial and warranty: Phonak offers a one-year warranty on all hearing aids. Check with your local provider to learn if a free trial is available.

• Locations: There are no physical locations for this company, but customers can find a local seller on its website.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information