2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.39/5

Phonak offers hearing aids in a variety of styles, colors, sizes and technology levels. It designs hearing aids for children and teenagers, and the company provides custom fittings. Phonak also sells an invisible hearing aid, the Lyric, which is professionally inserted within your ear canal. Customers can choose hearing aids with Bluetooth features and rechargeable batteries.

Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I purchased Phonak Audeo BR Rechargeable & Cros B hearing aids back in March 2019 and they have been giving me A LOT of issues. My first issue was while I was on Vacation at the beach. I placed my hearing aids in the charging case at night, the next morning I went to turn them on and boom...NOTHING. I was "deaf" for the remainder of my vacation, worst vacation ever. I sent these back through my ENT and got a brand new 2nd pair. This pair did the same exact thing. Sent it back for the 2nd time.

At this point, the Phonak manufacturer thought it was a glitch while setting it up. So, when I got my 3rd brand new pair????, they suggested that I put my phone in Airplane mode whilst setting it up, which we did but I do NOT think it was a glitch because it still cuts in and out, it sounds muffled, very static, and almost like it is under water. Every single pair of these EXACT hearing aids are doing the SAME EXACT thing. My charging case DOES have a drying capsule in it. They just suck. I wish I had traded in my android phone for an Apple phone and purchased the Resound aids & CROS.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I purchased my Phonak Hearing Aids 7 years ago for over $4,000.. I was pleased with the sound quality, but noticed batteries provided by my Audiologists barely lasted 6 hours. My hearing loss is genetic, and has not changed in 7 yrs, (2013) but after about 3 1/2 years of using the Aids, I noticed changes in them, but the warranty was no longer good after 3 yrs. I expected these hearing aids to last well into 10 years for the expense of them. After only 7 yrs. they are not ale to be adjusted on the equipment at the Audiology office, and a week ago, the right hearing aid wire broke completely off the behind the ear unit.

I did not use these hearing aids daily, because of only needing them in certain situations, so these aids got half the amount of regular usage in 7 years. I want to say, do not go with the most expensive brand, its cheaper to buy new ones at a lower or moderate cost every 3 to 4 years, because the technology changes so often that your $5,000 aids will likely be obsolete after 2 years of use. My audiologists warned me about buying hearing aids advertised on TV, but had I been smarter, I would have not been swayed to buy the Phonak Garbage. Lesson learned.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have two Phonak hearing aids and would rate them as five star. Encouraged by the quality of the hearing aids and seeing a Phonak clip-on microphone advertised as something that would help with TV sound, I bought one. My TV is a modern smart TV. However, to get the microphone to work with it, I would have to buy a digital to analog audio converter. And presumably one the more expensive ones if I want better sound quality. Even then, I am not sure that my model of TV would allow the microphone to work without switching off the speaker bar that others want to use.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I bought mine a little more than two years ago to replace a pair of Sam's Club hearing aids that I unfortunately lost. The Phonaks worked about as well as my (much cheaper) Sam's clubs, but after 11 month one of the push buttons started to fail. The unit was sent in for repair under warranty. After another year, both batteries started to fail: They would only hold a charge of 6 hours. Was quoted a price of $ 600 for shipping and handling plus whatever the factory will charge for parts and labour. I decided not to throw good money after bad and will purchase a new Sam's or Costco unit with old fashioned user replaceable batteries!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

First, to be fair Phonak is the only brand of hearing aid I have owned so I don't know if concerns would also apply to other brands. Many features are great. I like the ease of adjustability. I like the length of battery life. I love the bluetooth connectivity. I can actually now watch TV; hear every word spoken and no longer have to rely on closed captions. So they work great as long as you stay indoors and do not engage in sort of physical activity. I'm an active person, however, spending a lot of time outdoors in my job as an ecologist, working in the yard, riding my bike etc. etc. The minute I start to perspire, the perspiration leaks into the hearing aids and they shut off. You can take the batteries out and see the liquid on their surface but simply drying them off doesn't work. It takes an extended period of drying.

It is particularly frustrating when working or recreating with others outside as it is extremely difficult to converse. Being able to hear others is one of the main reasons I have hearing aids so frequently I find myself back to problems associated with impaired hearing. So if you stay indoors and do not engage in any sort of physical activity these will be great hearing aids for you. If, however, you do anything that results in perspiration you will be greatly disappointed. At the price Phonak charges, you would think they could engineer a way to better waterproof their devices to avoid such problems.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I purchased my 1st pair of Phonak Bolero B-90's in September of 2019, and these are the greatest, I bought the ear mold type with batteries, and I could not be happier, they're comfortable, and my hearing is the best it's been in a long time. The first hearing aid was just for one ear, as my hearing got worse I had to get a pair, so the background noise is at a minimum and yet I can hear a person talking to me in a crowded room, there's a switch for phone conversation, and I don't have to blare the TV. I tried Oticon the wire type and they drove me nuts, I went back 4 times for adjustment and just could not kill the background noise so the Phonak's have been a real blessing, they worked for me right out of the gate, I did go to a professional for hearing testing, and fitting and these have been a real charm.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

My Audeo rechargeable are two years old and only hold a 3 hr charge. So I was looking at having the rechargeable batteries changed. Phonak wants you to go through an audiologist to service them, so I called an authorized dealer. Was told it would cost me $500 to have 'em sent in PLUS whatever the charge from Phonak would be. So the bottom line is what good are hearing aids if you have to spend thousands every year to keep 'em working?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I purchased Phonak Audeo B70 with CROS B a few months ago and switched to Starkey (the only other hearing aid with a CROS system, I was told) when the aid kept switching programs, primarily when on the phone, then later, in other settings. This was a problem since telephone is one of my primary sources of communication at work. The Starkey hearing aids had other flaws, so I recently switched back to Phonak Audeo. I have had them reprogrammed and followed all of the recommendations/guidelines, including locating and placing the receiver on the "sweet spot"; however, I am still encountering the same problem.

An additional strange idiosyncrasy is that the sound of the dial tone has a hint of analogue to it, rather than digital. I was told that it is because the "autosense" picked up a change in position; however, I have never had that problem with my old hearing aid. While I like the CROS system and functioning of the Phonak Audeo in the other environments, I am totally dissatisfied with paying so much money for a system that is not telephone compatible.

Original review: April 14, 2019

High tone moderate hearing loss, aids since 2006. Have had, in sequence Siemens, Resound, Siemens, and now Phonak. Have also has trials of Starkey and most recently Signia (Siemens). Phonak Audeo B90 trialed 2 months ago. A huge improvement over previous aids. As next gen Phonak M aids due shortly, bought a used pair of B90’s with the intention of moving to M90’s when they became available. But I won’t at least not for the time being as these B90’s meet all my needs, and cost including programming 1/4 of what a new pair would cost.

These are the first aids I have had that allow me to hear and UNDERSTAND what’s on the TV at any volume level. That in itself says it all. If you check the specs, the improvement from generation to generation of aids is often not great, with the exception of moving from thin tube to RIC aids, so bargains to be had. And of course you need an audiologist to do the programming, and they are a variable commodity! And as with any technology subject to failures, both intrinsic, and user introduced. And as always, choose your audiologist wisely, or consider doing it yourself, and yes it is possible.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Bought top of the range Phonak Hearing Aids which worked beautifully to start with, then started eating batteries and the volume control was intermittent. I bought them on holiday and couldn't return to the original shop, but Phonak's system is that the individual sellers are paid upfront for after-sales servicing while the aids are under warranty, so -- according to them -- you have to go back to the person you bought them from, or you need to pay for checks/repairs, even though the hearing aids are faulty. Unfortunately Phonak is part of a Swiss company (Sonova) and they don't reply to emails, so their complaints system is about as useful as their hearing aids.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information