2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.44/5

Phonak Hearing Aids Reviews

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

My Audeo rechargeable are two years old and only hold a 3 hr charge. So I was looking at having the rechargeable batteries changed. Phonak wants you to go through an audiologist to service them, so I called an authorized dealer. Was told it would cost me $500 to have 'em sent in PLUS whatever the charge from Phonak would be. So the bottom line is what good are hearing aids if you have to spend thousands every year to keep 'em working?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I purchased Phonak Audeo B70 with CROS B a few months ago and switched to Starkey (the only other hearing aid with a CROS system, I was told) when the aid kept switching programs, primarily when on the phone, then later, in other settings. This was a problem since telephone is one of my primary sources of communication at work. The Starkey hearing aids had other flaws, so I recently switched back to Phonak Audeo. I have had them reprogrammed and followed all of the recommendations/guidelines, including locating and placing the receiver on the "sweet spot"; however, I am still encountering the same problem.

An additional strange idiosyncrasy is that the sound of the dial tone has a hint of analogue to it, rather than digital. I was told that it is because the "autosense" picked up a change in position; however, I have never had that problem with my old hearing aid. While I like the CROS system and functioning of the Phonak Audeo in the other environments, I am totally dissatisfied with paying so much money for a system that is not telephone compatible.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Bought top of the range Phonak Hearing Aids which worked beautifully to start with, then started eating batteries and the volume control was intermittent. I bought them on holiday and couldn't return to the original shop, but Phonak's system is that the individual sellers are paid upfront for after-sales servicing while the aids are under warranty, so -- according to them -- you have to go back to the person you bought them from, or you need to pay for checks/repairs, even though the hearing aids are faulty. Unfortunately Phonak is part of a Swiss company (Sonova) and they don't reply to emails, so their complaints system is about as useful as their hearing aids.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Phonak Audeo B-Direct is the best I have experienced. 62 year old male-Lifelong wearer. TV connect-Great for shows-Music good. Live Music-Wow! Never knew what I was missing. Conversation-Excellent. Not perfect, but the best I ever had. I WANT to wear these!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The VA supplied me with a pair of Phonak hearing aids and they worked perfectly for 5 years. Then the VA supplied me with a new pair and again, they worked perfectly for 5 years. Today I picked up my third pair from the VA and they are rechargeable. I highly recommend Phonak.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phonak Hearing Aids?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Purchasing my Phonak Hearing Aids in spring of 2015 worked well at first. Then I thought my hearing was declining. Found out the hearing Aids were. They have been in for repair more than my ear. Warranty ran out at the end of 3 yrs. They immediately started failing. Outlet where they were purchased fixed them for 75. 2 mo. later they are in need of another repair. No warranty. I said, "Forget it. I will use a horn."

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

The fact that there are so many complaints about hearing aids may not come from the hearing aids themselves. Maybe it is the consumer. They are a computer, nothing will be like the natural ear. Background noise was an issue when I had great hearing, so why would it change when I have crappy hearing? If the hearing aid stops working, maybe it's wax...

Apparently when the hearing aid is PLUGGED, it stops working as well. (And yes, it can happen within a day.) Phonak hearing aids allow for me to hear the football game coming over the speaker in a loud and crowded bar. That in itself tells me they work well. The battery drain in the 13 hearing aid seems to be awesome- I get around 14 days of battery life and the hearing aid connects to my Samsung phone for phone calls. It's only on one side, which is all I would expect - (I mean... who puts their phone on both ears at the same time? Telemarketers... that's it!) If you keep the hearing aid clean and wear it all day long, I think your brain just gets used to how amazing the world actually is. With all the studies of dementia and hearing loss being connected, why would anyone want to go without some help?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The VA provided a pair of Phonak Cros aids for me 2 years ago. They are the first ones I've owned so nothing to compare to but they've been great for me. My hearing is 26%. Previously I had an extremely hard time understanding most conversation. Now I can understand most if I am facing the one speaking and within 10 feet or so. The aids have worked flawlessly except for a speaker that failed in the right one a few weeks ago. VA repairman replaced it while I waited. Possibly my fault for forgetting to remove it before showering a few times.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I bought a Phonak Model B70-13 BTE hearing from ZipHearing in August 2017. Long story short, the hearing aid never performed properly, this despite being sent to the "factory" for repairs multiple times and even once entirely replaced ("new serial number"). The local audiologist referred by ZipHearing was unable to get the hearing aid to work despite many attempts nor was a second audiologist, also referred by ZipHearing and at their expense, despite the latter getting significant help by phone from Phonak's "best" customer service rep. After a year of this situation I asked for a full refund. This was countered by an offer to refund 73% of the purchase price.

I also contacted Phonak directly. This is their response (August 23, 2018): "Thank you for contacting Phonak with your concerns. Please accept our apologies for our product not performing to your expectations. As the manufacturer, we must refer you back to your original provider for assistance. We are unable to override any offers or policies between you and the hearing care provider. We hope they are able to help you with a resolution."

Lest anyone think me a crank, I have been using a hearing aid since about 1990, having begun with ITEs then BTEs. This is the first time I have ever had a hearing aid fail utterly. My current hearing aid, a Widex BTE is now eight years old and works fine. With the newer-technology Phonak, I'd planned to use the Widex as a backup.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Got these from a professional ear/nose/throat practice at what is today a relatively high price ($5200). The good: The company did due diligence in measuring my hearing range and programming the aids accordingly. The bad: I've come to accept the fact that they're AIDS -- not CURES. I'm guessing that most people with hearing problems believe that hearing aids will restore their normal hearing. They won't! They're just what the description says: AIDS! They help, but don't CURE you hearing problems.

They also indicated that these top-of-the-line aids would suppress background noise in crowded places. They don't. In addition, the aids give off a signal (2 long beeps) to tell you the battery needs replacement. Trouble is, they do this as long as 3 hours before the battery is actually dead. You then get more beeps at ~2 hours and ~1 hour before the battery actually dies. Phonak needs to program the aids to give a SINGLE signal ~1/2 hour before it REALLY will die.

Phonak Hearing Aids Company Information