2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

Oticon hearing aids come in several innovative models with many available add-ons. The company’s technological features, such as the OpenSound Optimizer and OpenSound Navigator, help eliminate whistling and balance sound in ambient environments. Some models offer rechargeable batteries, Bluetooth connectivity and tinnitus relief.

BOTTOM LINE

Oticon has seven lines of hearing aids in various styles and up to 12 colors for kids and adults. Some come with Bluetooth and tinnitus-relief technology. Since Oticon doesn’t sell to consumers, users buy from audiologists.

PROS

• Styles for kids
  • 2.4 GHz Bluetooth tech
  • Tinnitus SoundSupport
  • OpenSound Optimizer

CONS

• No online info about financing
  • Doesn’t sell directly to consumers

Top Oticon Hearing Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

I have had my Oticon OPNs for almost 3 years now. It has made talking in social groups MUCH less stressful - I no longer have to watch people's lips and concentrate to understand what is being said, and I find they handle background noise VERY well, contrary to what several others have reported.

I am a professional Spanish interpreter; hearing is crucial. My audiologist recommended [Oticon]. I have had them for nearly two years with no problems. The difference in hearing is amazing. The first several days I walked around with my mouth open at the things I could hear.

What is Oticon?

Oticon sells some of the most innovative hearing aids on the market. Oticon has been in business since 1904 and offers hearing solutions for a variety of hearing loss issues affecting people of all ages. It also sells hearing aid accessories and solutions for issues such as tinnitus. Oticon hearing aids can connect to your phone or TV to make these devices easier to use. Authorized Oticon hearing care professionals have offices all over the U.S.

Oticon hearing aid models

Oticon offers seven different model lines of hearing aids, including behind-the-ear, in-the-ear and receiver-in-canal devices. Most models, including the Xceed Play and Opn Play, are available in a variety of colors. The company helps provide tinnitus relief with patented technologies like Tinnitus SoundSupport, and it makes hearing aids available for veterans through Veterans Affairs Clinics.

Oticon Xceed
    This powerful behind-the-ear hearing aid is great for those with severe to profound hearing loss. It connects to any smartphone and many other accessories using 2.4 GHz Bluetooth technology. The Oticon Xceed is available in two styles and seven different colors.
    Oticon Xceed Play
    This hearing aid is for children with severe to profound hearing loss. It is durable and designed with active children in mind. The company builds it with hypoallergenic materials, and it has an LED light that confirms the battery is properly functioning. Oticon’s Xceed Play is available in 12 colors.
    Oticon Opn
    Oticon Opn is Oticon’s highly customizable line of hearing aids. These hearing aids decipher accurate information about what’s around you rather than just isolating one voice. Oticon’s Opn hearing aids are available in eight colors as receiver-in-ear, behind-the-ear and in-the-canal models. This line features Oticon’s invisible-in-the-canal hearing aid as well.
    Oticon Opn S
    The Oticon Opn S is a rechargeable hearing aid that comes with 2.4 GHz wireless technology and OpenSound Optimizer to remove the annoying whistling that is characteristic of some hearing aids. This line comes in receiver-in-the-ear and behind-the-ear styles.
    Oticon Opn Play
    This discreet hearing aid helps children with hearing loss adapt to their environment. OpenSound Navigator technology helps a child understand speech in noisy classrooms. This line comes in 12 colors and is available as a receiver-in-the-ear and behind-the-ear hearing aid.
    Oticon CROS
    The Oticon CROS is designed for those with single-ear deafness. Its OpenSound Navigator technology balances out sound. The CROS is a receiver-in-canal model available in seven colors.
    Oticon Siya
    The Oticon Siya lets you stream music and connect to your TV with 2.4 GHz Bluetooth technology. This line is available in nine styles, including in-the-ear, in-the-canal, receiver-in-the-ear and behind-the-ear.

Oticon hearing aid prices

Oticon hearing aids range in price from about $1,800 to $4,000. The final price varies based on the type of hearing aid and the features and accessories you choose. Hearing aids with high-end features typically cost more. These features add to the hearing aid price but provide more help with specific types of hearing loss or with hearing loss of greater severity.

How to get an Oticon hearing aid

Oticon hearing aids can be purchased from hearing care centers that are authorized Oticon dealers. Usually, the hearing care center performs hearing tests or other diagnostics that help you choose the best hearing aid for your needs. Each center has different financing and discount programs, so ask about these during your consultation. Some hearing aid care centers also sell batteries and help troubleshoot and care for your hearing aid.

Oticon hearing aid FAQ

How long do Oticon hearing aids last?
    The lifetime of any hearing aid depends on the way it is worn and used. In general, in-the-ear hearing aids don't last as long as behind-the-ear hearing aids because they are exposed to more moisture, sweat and earwax. Expect in-the-ear hearing aids to last about four or five years. Behind-the-ear hearing aids last longer — about five to six years.
    Does Costco carry Oticon hearing aids?
    No. Costco carries several different brands of hearing aids, but it does not carry Oticon hearing aids.
    What is the application process for Oticon hearing aids?
    The application process to get an Oticon hearing aid varies by hearing care center. Typically, you need to make an appointment with the hearing center, discuss your needs and get a hearing test. You may also get a hearing aid fitting. Your local audiologist gives you everything you need to get an Oticon hearing aid.
    Can Oticon hearing aids be repaired?
    Yes, Oticon hearing aids can often be repaired. Ask the hearing care professional who sells you the hearing aid about needed repairs. There is also a troubleshooting guide under the "Support" section of Oticon’s website.

Is Oticon a good hearing aid?

Oticon has a wide range of hearing aid models, including special designs just for kids or people with single-ear deafness. Its Tinnitus SoundSupport helps anyone with tinnitus. With Bluetooth connectivity, rechargeable options and patented OpenSound technology, Oticon’s hearing aids are sophisticated and a strong choice for anyone with hearing loss.

Oticon Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: July 19, 2020

I've had these hearing aids 2 1/2 years and they've been sent back to the manufacturer at least six times. Now that they're out of warranty it costs me $800 every time I have them repaired. Looking at alternatives.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Had problems getting Oticon's phone and TV adapters to work. Customer Service is poor, not customer friendly, guarded, deceitful, inflexible, and gives inconsistent answers. Customer Service number is not listed in any of their equipment guides (tells you all you need to know), so I had to google to find their number. Option should provide troubleshooting guide in their instructions manual. Equipment may be good, but if you can’t get it to work after two calls and two hours time invested.... Oticon relies upon Customer Service as first line of defense to correct tech problems, reps skills set, expertise, and company longevity varies: None are great. Obvious by their fumbling, research timeouts, and questioning. Had no degree of confidence that they could resolve my problems.

Only able to speak to a true tech specialist one time in spite of numerous requests. My one experience was good. Management needs to radically change their corporate mindset about customer service and tech support. Start with clean sheet of paper. Oticon can improve, if they want. I get better customer service from my cable company.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I got these Oticon Nera2 Pro in Feb. 2017 from Avada now Hearing Life. The hearing quality is good, but the hearing aid's volume controls malfunction and the hearing aids have been replaced repeatedly. They have improved the volume controls, but they only send me the bad design ones. Now, the warranty just expired and I have to wait two years to get new haring aids with insurance. How can they send me hearing aids with a design problem beats me. I have worn other brands of hearing aids for years and never had this kind of problem.

Original review: March 1, 2020

This is my second set of Oticon OPN hearing aids. The first set worked beautifully, so purchased another set when I needed new ones. These have been sent back 2 times, and no one can figure out why they turn off when they feel like it, and then turn back on within 5 seconds or so. Told to turn off my Bluetooth! They are supposed to work with Bluetooth. That’s one of the reasons I bought them. $6,000. They do not fit my ears well either, so they put this plastic piece on to hold them in my ears. Next larger domes came off inside my ears. Most uncomfortable. Very frustrated. Not sure what I will do from here.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I got these from an Aunt that passed away so I was not the original purchaser. To get them fitted and adjusted, not many audiologists around here that work with this brand, I had to travel 45 minutes to get there and it cost $3000. I put them in the cleaner every night and have rechargeable batteries. The wire keeps disconnecting and the cleaner makes the cups clog (aren't they supposed to clean them?). I have had to travel back at least 5 times in that first year and each time it cost an office visit (another $60). Should have gotten cheaper ones and kept all that other cash.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Due to family complaints about my hearing, I purchased these hearing aids to satisfy them. The aids have held up well, and that's the only thing good about them. All they do is make everything louder and with poor quality sound. I hate them. At home, I use, instead, Sony wireless headphones on my TVs, synthesizer, and my PlayStation 4. These headphones only cost about $ 70, and the fidelity is GREAT. I should have returned these hearing aids when I could have. My suggestion to you is DO NOT compromise what you want from your hearing aids!!!! I rarely wear them. I hate them!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had to procure hearing aids for my father. I floated inquiry in India mart. I got a call from many suppliers, of which one was very competitive. But Mr. Hitesh **, DGM sales, Oticon got in touch with me through another dealer and said that the other one who is offering least price is unauthorized and I should procure it from the supplier recommended by him. I ended up buying it at a higher price. Now, when I got to know that Mr. Hitesh was telling lies and the other supplier is authentic and I asked Oticon to help me get the device returned to the supplier, they are hiding and not attending calls. They are clearly at fault. If anyone of you want to save your hard earned money, please call me on **, I will help you get in touch with the genuine supplier. I do have every details and proofs of what I have quoted here.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

It is very expensive. I paid over 7500 CAD for these in January 2019, almost 8k CAD with ZPower rechargeable kit. Since then I had:

1 - ZPower batteries just drain super quick. Instead of lasting a day of usage (say, from 7am to 10pm) they started lasting 7 or 8 hours, which makes them useless. Returned the kit. Still waiting to be refunded on that kit.
      2 - Lots of Bluetooth connection problems. For whichever reason the phones might randomly not connect to Bluetooth, so it will not stream or will not be able to be managed via phone APP. Shitty both in Android and iPhone.
      3 - One of the hearing aids stopped working randomly in December, so not even a full year of usage. It cannot finish the booting cycle (the song) and then it keeps going on and off, which creates an irritating white noise. I am as of now using one year only and the world feels weird.

4 - Not loud enough when streaming phone calls on them. Cannot pick up those calls on loud places.

All in all, for my first experience with hearing aids I am beyond unimpressed. Expensive, bad quality (who wants to be reminded all the time of their deafness with those bugs?) and inconvenient (who wants to be troubled by multiple last-minute visits to the audiologist?).

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Three times in 2 years I had to traipse to the audiologist to send them back for replacement. Traipse again to pick up. Repeat and then Repeat. The fourth time I was told it was the humidity. A dryer kit was recommended. Not the issue and another waste of money. Different brands of batteries did not make a difference. Why a fresh battery lasts for 2 hours? It will give me great pleasure to smash them both with a hammer and send them back. Would not recommend this brand to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have had them for two years and initially they were great. Comfortable. Hearing was quite clear although they would not increase volume. My old clunkers went through a battery a week. The new Oticon uses 2 each week. They have a little white filter that must be replaced when plugged. Initially this was every few weeks but over time they could stop working after a day. I keep my ears very clean. Washing and with Q tips. As a snowbird I spend 6 months in Mexico. After a month I had to give up on the new Oticons and go back to the 7 year old ones. Old but reliable. My hearing clinic wouldn't supply the filters or batteries based on actual usage so I must wait till I go back to Canada to get parts. Not happy.

Oticon Hearing Aids author review by Shelley Webb

Oticon has seven lines of hearing aids, including two models for children and one for those with single-sided deafness. Local Oticon sellers can provide information about hearing aids prices and financing.

• Products: Seven model lines are available, including receiver-in-ear, behind-the-ear, invisible-in-canal, in-the-canal and receiver-in-ear styles. Two models, the Xceed Play and Opn Play, are specifically for children and teens, and one model, the CROS, is for people with hearing loss in one ear.

• Features: Available features include smartphone connectivity, Bluetooth compatibility and rechargeable batteries. The company’s OpenSound technology isolates important audio and removes ambient noise and annoying whistling. Tinnitus SoundSupport can be added to most hearing aids. Some models are also customizable, and each has between seven and 12 color options.

• Trial and warranty: Risk-free trials may be available. Talk to your local provider.

• Locations: Oticon hearing aids are sold by local audiologists. To find one near you, visit Oticon’s hearing clinic locator.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information