2.55/5

Need a good hearing aid?

Need a good hearing aid?

77 Oticon Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have had my Oticon OPNs for almost 3 years now and other than a vibration noise which ended up being caused by my glasses vibrating against the case, I have had no problems. I realize how poor my hearing is when I pop them out! I'm getting 4 to 5 days out of a set of batteries and months out of a set of wax filters. It has made talking in social groups MUCH less stressful - I no longer have to watch people's lips and concentrate to understand what is being said, and I find they handle background noise VERY well, contrary to what several others have reported.

The one disappointment is they never came up with the app to connect to non-Apple phones. The Bluetooth WAS handy when I lost my hearing aids and was able to prove they were both IN my pickup truck and I found them under the seat - not in the trailer full of old shingles I had just torn off the roof. It was a hard pill to swallow that the pair of hearing aids was worth more than BOTH vehicles in my driveway - and now I can hear all the squeaks and rattles they make.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Only had two weeks and working great. My biggest issue is the tools provided to change out the filters. They are very small and once you have taken out the used filter, you cannot tell what is the new one. I have put the old one back in thinking it was the new one when in fact it was not. You need complete uninterrupted time to stay focused on what you are doing with zero distractions to get them back in place correctly. The little black piece holding the filter is very small and hard to hold especially if you have arthritis or can't see very well. I much prefer the orange stick from Starkey for changing filters as it is much easier to direct and much easier to tell which end is which has the used one versus the new one.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I got mine thru the VA and I can hear things I have not heard in 30 years. I thought all the crickets had died until I got these. I had another brand before and they not nearly as good as these. No problems with wax traps or battery life. Hard plastic ear pieces that fit good with no irritation.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have been wearing hearing aids for over 25 years. Before my current pair of Oticon, I used the premium aids from Widex. In my experience, if you keep them clean, handle them with care, have an audiologist who cares and explains how to use them correctly, you will be very happy with them. I can actually hear well now! The Oticons are by far the best I have ever owned. If you are patient, can understand directions, have a warranty, you are good. I have always used disposable batteries. I do not recommend rechargeables due to all the negative reviews. Every year or 2 years you will have to replace the receiver. If you have an iPhone you will be in hearing aid heaven.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've noticed many of the reviews reference battery problems, especially rechargeables. I use disposable batteries, and they are fine. I change them once a week. Other complaints were problems regarding the warranties bought from the re-seller -- again, not a problem with the hearing aids themselves. I'm just saying... I have moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. Without hearing aids, I can't communicate well in noisy environments, and even in relatively quiet ones, often have to ask folks to repeat themselves.

I have a pair of the Oticon Ria 2 aids, purchased from a reputable audiologist (Au.D., CCC-A) who was recommended by my E.N.T. doctor. The hearing aids cost less than $2,000 for the pair. I've never had a problem with them. The yearly maintenance is a bit pricey, but that was my choice by not purchasing the "bundled" maintenance. I change the domes and the wax guards on the first of each month -- never had any difficulty with them. I've had these instruments for almost 2 years and wear them daily.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: July 9, 2019

I get my hearing aids through the VA. I had been getting Phonak for the past few years but the last time they gave me Oticon. Possibly because they were cheaper. They have been returned for repairs at least three times in the past year. One of the times one of them sounded like it had a cracked speaker. When they came back the problem hadn't been fixed. Then the Bluetooth stopped working so they went back to the VA for repairs. When I got them back I was told they had been replaced. The connect clip would only connect to one ear. Fortunately the VA had another on hand that would connect to both ears.

I went home thinking they will finally work. Unfortunately, while the connect clip will control both aids it will only connect the Bluetooth to one of them. I really wish the VA had a contract with Costco because theirs work great. That's where my wife bought hers. So they'll go back to the VA and hopefully they can find someone to fix them. If I had a choice Oticon would NOT be what I would choose. And I would not recommend them to anyone. I have been wearing hearing aids for well over 20 years and these are the worst I have ever had.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I’ve had my hearing aid since January 2019 and it has never worked properly. It continually disconnects and I have to change the batteries every two days. It was sent back to the manufacture by the VA who allegedly rebuilt them with no noticeable improvement. My contact at the VA thought the problem may be moisture and has provided two different mechanisms to keep them dry but these have afforded no change. I would strongly suggest not purchasing this product.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I bought two new hearing aids from Hearing Life and they were Oticon OPN S1. Over $7000 and within 60 days I had to send in one of them to repair. I was told it might be two weeks before I get it back. I think a product that goes out that quick should be replaced with new. I wish I would have know about the lack of quality so I could have bought something more reliable. Next time I will check with Consumer Reports before I buy Oticon. Not a satisfied customer.

Original review: May 25, 2019

At first, I thought them marvelous, though expensive. That was at first. Very soon they started being temperamental: one or both would simply cease to function. Then they would be fine for while, but only for while. Both after only a year or two had to be sent back for repairs--repairs that did not last long. The biggest problem is that, while on the phone--the reason that I bought these devilishly expensive items--one of them just drops off. I am left with only one ear functioning. I write this now from the UK where I do some teaching each year. I a scarcely can use my iPhone because the right side hearing aide just drops away. In the midst of the call I have to remove the aide, restart it, talk for about thirty second more when it departs again. Is ii and wonder I feel I have been sold a bill of goods?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I have had these now for a little over two months. My previous hearing aids were Starkey, which were good, but after 5 years, my hearing had changed, and my VA audiologist said I was due for new aids. What others have said here is consistent with my experience, as to the sound. My own voice booms in my ears. My breathing sounds like Darth Vader. I often have to ask people to repeat, or to spell a word. Especially when there is more than one person speaking, or in rooms full of people, I’m lost. I strain, cup my ears with my hands, try to adjust the volume, and get perhaps 20% of what is said.

The Bluetooth feature is good, but not as good as my Apple earphones. I can’t get “Live Listen” to work. And even after my audiologist has made two adjustments, the devices don’t sit as comfortably in my ears —or as securely— as my old aids did. The left aid battery stopped working, and the new one takes longer to charge than the right one. I am an early riser, and it’s always still charging when the right one is charged, and sometimes gives out around 5:30 p.m. My VA audiologist is just great, really dedicated, and it’s still a work in progress, but It’s been disappointing.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I went from a moderate hearing loss to profoundly deaf in a matter of months wearing Opn's. These devices only magnify volume and do nothing for helping you hear better. I can't watch movies, listen to music, or go to plays. Church services and sporting events are painful. If I turn the volume down, I am totally deaf. Conversations are extremely difficult unless the person I am talking yells. Thanks to Oticon, my problem became a full blown handicap.

Original review: March 29, 2019

So I have recently purchase the Oticon Bluetooth hearing aid and I always seem to be having problem with my right one. It feels like my voice is echo and if I turn them down I can't hear. I clean them every day and it seem every 2nd day I am changing my battery. I contact the hearing life and tell them of my problem and still gotta wait. I have been deaf since newborn but I am hearing impaired. Since I had them I notice I don't yell anymore but when I take them off I can't hear anything anymore. I'm feeling depressed and anxious when I talk now because my speech is not clear enough. What can I do about it.

Original review: March 27, 2019

These hearing aids were the only ones available through my insurance. I was told they would make it easy for me to hear voices such as my 5 year old grandson. I also volunteer to help kindergarteners how to read. I thought this would help me hear the children much better. All the hearing aid does is make noise louder. I still can't hear people clearly. I'm now stuck with these hearing aids. When I went a check-up, I was told to give it time. Time isn't the problem... Hearing clearly is!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have 2 Oticon hearing aids for the last 11 months. Their marketing is outstanding, yet I can't hear speech well, like I did on my Widex aids. I also can't hear better with background noise. They are not worth the money. Also, I asked the corporate office if I could exchange my aids for the receiver in the ear instead of the receiver in the hearing aid and they said absolutely not. That was my only hope to keep these aids. I can't wait to buy the aids that I can hear with clearly. It was a terrible purchase... Find yourself a better aid. Thanks.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I was lied to and told the Oticon would stream with a Samsung Android phone. It will not, What they do is connect with the phone and allow you to turn the volume up and down or mute but not much else. THEY WILL NOT STREAM A PHONE CONVERSATION FROM A SAMSUNG ANDROID PHONE, YOU MUST HAVE AN IPHONE.

Original review: March 1, 2019

So far these hearing aids, Oticon Opn 2, are great. Love the Bluetooth technology and syncing up to my iPhone easy easy. Audible clarity is outstanding once properly adjusted by the audiologist. At issue though, is the rechargeable option. The batteries do last almost 19 hours a charge, however, in this day and age when a cellphone takes less than an hour to charge, it takes 4 plus hours to recharge these, time that some of us don’t have. Moreover, you cannot find replacement batteries anywhere except certain audiologists. The charger itself should come with a cover to protect the charging contractors when the charger is not in use. Moreover, the charger itself should be able to not only charge the hearing aids, but should also be capable of charging spare batteries as well, which is the option these days for most chargers.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My 14 year old son has moderate hearing loss in both ears and has worn hearing aids since he was 1 month old. In all of the years that he’s had hearing aids, we’ve NEVER experienced a pair as AWFUL as these! He has had this pair for about 2 years now and we’ve had to get them repaired and replaced well over 10-15 times. That’s a lot for a teenager to have his hearing aid go out on him in class or anytime at all. Like I’ve said BOTH have even been replaced because they were under warranty, however the replacements were just as bad! My poor son doesn’t even wear them to play sports because he was told by the audiologist that “this could be happening because of sweat” so he’s afraid to get them moist. When in all actuality that is probably one of the most important times that he should be wearing them so he can hear his coach, other teammates and opponents.

Now one of the hearing aids doesn’t even connect to the Oticon system at the audiologist’s office for her to have the ability to run tests on it or change the volume etc. Of course now it’s too late to get them repaired or replaced without charge because the warranty is up. This was so disappointing, especially with how much these cost us, thousands of dollars! We were told they were “top of the line”??? My son has always been athletic and sweaty and we’ve never had issues like this with his pediatric Phonak hearing aids. But he’s a teen now and has different needs. I’m hoping to find a better option for him ASAP!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The little filters are a pain to replace as they are so small. Seem to plug up easy. Sometimes when I replace a battery the aid stops working. Gave up and went back to my old hearing aids. $5,200.00 down the drain.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Before you buy an Oticon, please be aware that the rechargeable batteries do NOT work. I have had my hearing aid for less than a year. I have had three different sets of rechargeable batteries. Now the fourth battery will only work for one hour after charging all night. I am lucky that the audiologist has replaced, free of charge, all of the defective batteries but it is a pain in the neck to have to keep returning them. The hearing aid works ok. In noisy environments it does not help me hear conversations that I am having. My main complaint is with the batteries. Changing the hearing aid doors did not help. I even received a new charger after the first one quit working. That did not help with the batteries either.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Philip, you should be able to use disposable batteries in your aids instead of the rechargeable. I just got new aids and the battery life doesn't last long enough in a day for me. I use disposable in them. I have found though, that these hearing aids use battery life much quicker than my last Oticon ones that I purchased 5 years ago. 4 days vs 7 days.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I only wear one hearing aid and I always forget it’s even in. I always forget to take it out before getting in the shower. Never had any problems with Oticon hearing aid. I’ve been wearing it for seven years now. Never had any problems with it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I bought the option of the rechargeable batteries and in the first few weeks the unit did not work. Brought it back to the provider and was told they were recalled. No notice was sent out. Got the unit back and less than a year the batteries would not hold a charge. The provider charges $50.00 for replacement batteries. I contact the company to confirm the price which they would not do. No other rechargeable battery will work and their battery is not available on the internet. I feel I made two mistakes - first dealing with a company with poor customer service and second buying the rechargeable battery option.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Paid $6500 for the top of the line aids. I bought them because I was told Oticon would replace them once for three years if lost or damaged. BS! My hearing provider told me it was $400 each to replace when I lost one. Oticon told me the replacement policy is whatever the service provider wants to do! I dont like being lied to! Also I have had nothing but problems with one. Look elsewhere to spend your hard earned money on a company with better products and customer support.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

VA issued hearing aids last month. They have stopped working several times. I have reset app and cleaned and replaced wax guards several times with some difficulty also. I have noticed they seem to shut down EVERY FRIDAY EVENING! I charge the batteries every night and they hold a charge. I have been able to reset the app and reboot the aids 4X now! I will be contacting VA and requesting the aids be fixed or replaced. Stay tuned!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My friend bought a set of hearing aids from Oticon and on the aids it is printed 14 and the other one 15. The eye doc told us that meant they were made in 2 different years. Check your hearing aids to see if you have the same problem. Does that mean one is a used hearing aid? I wrote and asked the company for an explanation. The hearing aids are 3 years old and out of warranty.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Got the top of the line 2 years ago and I couldn't be more pleased. Changed my life. I heard birds for the first time in 30 years. They work like they're supposed to. I don't understand all the complaining and whining by people who don't know how to use them properly. Kudos to Oticon for getting it right.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I purchased Oticon Hearing Aids in August of 2017 and have had problems almost immediately. The doors have been replaced 2 times and waiting for 3rd set to arrive. Batteries will not stay charged, last about 8 to 9 hours. Oticon never notifies me of a problem, I call about a problem and tell me that nothing is wrong and that it is my problem. Later I find out there is a real problem with the rechargeable doors! I am disgusted and would like for Oticon to step up and refund my money!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased the Top Of the Line Oticon hearing aid and it is just great. It was expensive but, rechargeable batteries, auto link to iPhone cell phone, it couldn't be better. The competitors are not close in quality, ease of use or features.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Oticon talks the talk but doesn't deliver. In less than a year, I've had to go back to the retailer 6 times to fix problems which included left hearing aid not working (2x), inability to connect to the iPhone and other issues too complicated to describe. The claim that their aids work well in large crowds is simply not true. It was my mistake not to return the product within the first 30 days. This is my 3rd pair of hearing aids in 10 years and by far the worse.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have experienced a fading in and out of sound in a noisy indoor/outdoor restaurant/home environment during a conversation, that does not occur when I'm in a quiet room. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their Oticon (Opn 1 PP BTE) hearing aids?

Oticon Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Oticon is a Denmark-based manufacturer of hearing aids. Founded in 1904 by a man who wanted to help his hearing-impaired wife, Oticon is one of the longest-lived hearing aid companies in the world. The company has American headquarters in New Jersey and has long been at the forefront of hearing and auditory research.

• Product selection: Oticon has a wide selection of over-the-ear, in-the-ear and in-the-canal solutions for people of all ages with mild to severe loss. It also offers a wide selection of styles, including various skin tone shades, trendy colors and more. Children, in particular, will enjoy the color selection for over-the-ear aids and the complimentary sticker pack to personalize their look.

• Streaming sound: Oticon introduced the Oticon Opn hearing aid model in 2016, which connects to the Internet to perform a variety of tasks, including streaming music, movies and telephone calls directly to the hearing aid.

• Tinnitus SoundSupport: Oticon developed a special feature called Tinnitus SoundSupport, for those who suffer from tinnitus. SoundSupport is integrated into the Alta2, Nera2, and Ria2 hearing aid models to provide direct sound therapy support. People with tinnitus can also use the Oticon Tinnitus Sound app for iPhone or Android to choose additional sounds or stream their own music library to their aids.

• IFTTT connectivity: Oticon Opn allows users to program the hearing aids to interact with other smart devices in the home or office using the Oticon ON app. The Opn connects to If This Then That (IFTTT), a website that synchronizes smart technology in the home. You can set your preferences so if you do one thing using a device, something else happens with another device; for example, if you turn your hearing aid on, then your home lights come on and your coffee begins to brew.

• Helpful website: The Oticon website features a customer support page with information on how to clean your hearing aids, replace the dome, operate your aids and fix common problems. You can also download operating manuals, view videos and locate a hearing center near you.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information