Oticon Hearing Aids

Compare Hearing Aids

Research top Hearing Aids recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Opticon Ria 2 Pro - Got them about a week ago. Specialist that fitted them did a great job. The sound is fine. Went back to see him this AM and no adjustments were required. He told me to come in again in 3 weeks to make sure everything is fine.

Oticon Alta is the fourth hearing aid brand that I have used. It is the only one that comes apart, leaving the earbud in my ears, again & again. I've had to go to a doctor to have it removed 3X. Other times I've been able to get it out myself. It can be quite painful and is very annoying.

I recently started wearing my third set of hearing aids - the Oticon Alta's. The sound is great if it works properly, unfortunately they constantly go in for repairs and adjusting which seems to be every 3 months. For such expensive hearing aids they do not seem to be durable as I am more cautious as to what I do with them, than when I was a little boy playing sports and such. The staff at NexGen I can't say I have been impressed as they all told me different things as what they can and cannot do, pricing, etc. However the one lady I ended up dealing with was very good but I cannot justify the price of these hearing aids. I will most likely go back to the Phonaks as they have done very well for me for a long time.

New to hearing aids. After discussing options, I wanted one that did not require a separate remote and did not need to be fitted to my ear. There were three options and the audiologist recommended the Oticon Opn. I have been delighted. They are easy to put on and greatly enhance my hearing in ALL directions. I have used 3 of the four presets for normal hearing, restaurants, and music. While I have no experience with other hearing aids I am delighted with these and would highly recommend them. This is a new model that has not been out for long. It has sound sensing capabilities to adjust to the sound situation.

I find that these hearing aids sound good. Problem is the sound does not last. I sent the left aid away to get fixed 3 months ago and it stopped now again. This aid was sent away 3 months prior to this for the same thing. This seems to be the same as the last set. I took the chance that over a five year time span they would have solved the issue. Clearly they have not. Will my next set this year be Oticon? I see no reason to stay with them. Sad that these companies can get away with poor quality. Was told that they had extra coatings on the wiring for moisture. That clearly was a lie. Of course my audiologist tries to say "oh your hearing has changed." Well that is and was a put off. Is moisture the problem? I believe so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

I recently purchased my third pair of these hearing aids after recommendation from my audiologist. I should of read the reviews because they do not seem to be very good in comparison with some others and I just thought that all of the high end aids were the same. The first two pair were at least fairly hardy while this pair is downright flimsy. Wires are much thinner they say to make them less noticeable. I am not as vain as I am hard of hearing. I have profound loss. Within a couple of months after purchase I had already had the wires pull out of the units and when replaced soon still had total failure in one while the other keeps turning itself up.

2014 I received an ad in the mail from Total Hearing Care for a special for $750 they were featuring. Made an appt and was told that the advertised aids were not good for my situation since my hearing needed the $1500/ea aids in order to help me. Found out later he worked for Oticon, that should have been my first clue. From day one I had problems and made many appt. for adjustments. The individual I saw was at the Watchung, NJ office. Next call I found out the office was not open to see patients since they didn't have anyone to cover. I was not happy and they directed me to Dunellen, NJ office after many calls.

The audiologist (if that's what he was) there told me I was not given the correct information on how to use the aids and also changed my program and accessories.

Next time I needed assistance I called Dunellen and found out NO ONE WAS THERE EITHER... he left for another company. They said a temp would be in every other Saturday which did not work for me and directed me BACK to Watchung, NJ. That's when I met Jenny (who was wonderful) who helped but I was still having issues. Then she left to be closer to her home but is still with Total Hearing. They are lucky she remained, she is an asset to the company. Now my aids are turning off and chiming several times a day and no one is in the office, again, until they took Ryan from Westfield to be there twice a week. I was having terrible issues... returned and replaced left earpiece, then right earpiece started in... that was replaced... after many many visits they decided to replace the two units and they were reluctant to do it!!! I was told my "folder" had a VIRUS.

Meantime Ryan was nice enough to give me a temp replacement which was more like an amplifier but wore them until they had to be returned and loaned me another type of unit which were so much better but they had to be returned... finally the company, after going back and forth with Ryan for many months decided to replace my aids.

They are no better than the first loaner. AMPLIFY everything. According to the replacement model they were the same as my original but an upgrade. I had NO CHOICE but to settle. I checked price one day and saw they are $1000 which is less than I originally paid and was told they are worth $5000. I called Ryan and expressed my unhappiness and he said his hands are tied. He once gave me the name and number of an individual that oversees (I think) problems. I called and she promised to call me back within 24 hours that was couple months ago.

Now that I'm expressing my dissatisfaction once again she actually called me after all this time and wants me to be checked out by a licensed doctor an audiologist in Dunellen... WHY is my question??? And she wants to be present. I am totally disgusted and unhappy. She thinks this doctor is going to tell me if I can hear properly. I can hear just at the highest pitch that it hurts my ears and I'm always adjusting the aids and still saying "what" most of the time... resorting to lip reading.

Was also told I DID NOT see the Rio2 Pro for $1000. I'm so angry at myself for not being able to prove it. Now I'm a liar according to her! I know what I feel and hear now she appears and is going to TELL ME different!! Nice company! I DO NOT want to deal with Total Hearing any longer or Oticon for that matter since neither one was interested in my problem solving... just pushed aside... seems NO ONE had an answer. All I want now is a REFUND and was told that's not possible (a common phase with them).

As a senior citizen, I purchased the Oticon hearing aids (over the ear) at price of $6,200.00. In less than 60 days their return policy did not accommodate my situation. My dog chewed one of the hearing aids unfortunately. I felt they would replace it at no cost at the high price of purchase. NO. You have to pay for repairs at $300. I decided that their service policy was unacceptable & wanted a refund. (I had a back-up OTE aids from Costco.) The Oticon Co will only refund

$3,000 for the return of one hearing aid. I will return the one aid & will have a loss of $3,000 in less than 40 days. I purchased these due to iPhone compatibility. Not worth it. Also batteries run down quickly. Warning other Sr citizens - poor service & too expensive. I was willing as it was just a trial for me.

Previously had a Widex Unique that just didn't make the cut. It was uncomfortable wearing as the cups around the speaker caused itching. Also, the audio quality wasn't that good as it was tinny sounding. Moved on to Oticon Opn and what a difference. Very comfortable fit (I forget that I'm wearing them) and the audio quality is very good. The balance of speech to noise is greatly improved over the Widex. I'm now an Oticon fan and want to give a shout-out to the designers and engineers that made this important device. Great job team! Thank you.

I was thinking for the price ($6500) I would receive the best quality digital hearing aids known to man. I also expect the best electronics, which could be configured to take into account almost any noise I came across. I have moderate hearing loss that is associated with age (66). I can hear fine on my own but I found that in a noisy environment, like a restaurant or a bar, I had trouble hearing those around me and I'd wind up doing some lip reading, which I'm not good at.

With the UltraPro hearing aids, even after 6 visits with the audiologist, I simply can't use them in noisy environments. HVAC wind noise in a bar is amplified to the extent I can't hear anything else. Restaurant noise is almost as bad. Any modest environment like company at home, watching TV, talking with my wife, is great. No problems. However, away from home, riding in a truck, shopping in a mall, sometimes in grocery stores depending on how noisy it is or how loud the music is, the sound quality goes to zero. I can't hear myself talking so I don't know how loud I'm talking. I frequently have people ask me to repeat myself because I'm talking too softly. Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed in these hearing aids. I would not recommend them as I'm better off without them.

I am 30 years old, born with moderate to severe hearing loss. When I first wore this [Oticon Dynamo SP4 Super Power BTE] the quality was so poor that I questioned it why my 10 year old phonak sounds better than this even though it not working its full potential. To compare quality of those two hearing aids: My 10 year old phonak would be like listening through a tv with surround sound vs. a $3,500 pair of Oticon listening through speaker phone 5 feet away. THAT is the difference of quality of the sound I am hearing. But I gave the benefit of the doubt because it a different hearing aid. Soon as I drove off I started to dislike it even more. The hearing aids have a program that compress sounds when things gets "too loud" so it starts compressing the volume on and off when there is wind noise while I am trying to enjoy the music off from my car.

I also ordered a streamer to have blue-tooth so I decided to have a go with it. When I stream audio from my phone, it sound quite well, a lot better than I hear around me. So it really needs a better quality microphone to receive the sound better. I had the audiologist tried to mess around with it to reduce the volume compression but the program wont allow it. Would I recommend it? Nope, I was glad the old one was still functioning, wore it until I get ReSound hearing aids, hope it is better than this.

The Alta2 Pro. First the hearing aids are very expensive, over $6000.00. To have the hearing aids adjusted you MUST visit your audiologists, you cannot adjust them. These hearing aids fit in the ear using a flexible dome that comes in different sizes, so you not only need batteries you need the ear wax replacement filter and domes to keep them working. I cannot keep the hearing aid in the correct position to hear using these domes alone, so a stinger was added to try to keep them in place. I am constantly adjusting the position to hear normal conversation. They pick all noise louder than the voice sound. So if a fan is running the car it will drown out people speaking. This is my second pair of Oticon hearing aids. Would I buy another pair? I would have to check out what is available and do a test drive.

Staff was very helpfull and very courteous. The office was clean and cheerful. I would recommend this place to anyone who needed their service. Staff was very patience with me. I couldnt make up my mind on which product I wanted to go with because there were so many, they all seemed to fit my needs. I never thought I was going to find the right one to fit my needs for my daily life. But now I am able to enjoy my grandkids more, I can hear my music at a decent level without drowning everything else out. The hearing aids I finally chose were small enough to fit my ears without me feeling self conscious. I enjoy life more than one can imagine.

They are very helpful. Always open to walk you through things. They are even available almost all the time. I have never had any issue getting the help I need with them. It really helps the hearing out. They never sound fuzzy or distant. It always seems clear and pristine. So I love the way it works for us and helps with my mother’s hearing loss. It seems very decent. It had its downside on price though. Seems a bit more expensive than most do. Otherwise, it has a great value. So I say I'm satisfied. It is well made, sturdy, and works. It has never broken or stopped functioning. So I have to say it has rather wonderful quality. It has my family happy. So that is what matters to me.

The customer service was excellent. They didn't make me wait hours in a waiting room, they were very knowledgeable about the product which I loved. It works better than any other I have tried, definitely top of the line product. Do not buy any other brand than this one. It is the best. It works perfect. The price is a little higher than others in my opinion but you get what you pay for. Please, don't pay less and get something with bad quality. I would highly recommend this brand and only this brand. I have used others and none of them compare. It is not fragile or cheap feeling like others and only costs a little bit more.

They listen and was friendly in how they addressed my concerns. I would recommend them to family and all my closest friends. Very attentive too with everything I had to say. They were one of the best I had pleasure dealing with. I give them top recommendations with how they handle themselves with my concerns. They made it more possible to enjoy life much more and I feel more alive with each sound I hear. It is like for the first time I am hearing everything. Their quality was the highest I encountered. I have the most respect for the business and what they in helping other hear better than before.

Representative was very helpful in this new process for me. I was able to find exactly what I needed and learned a lot in the process. Product worked fairly well. I did have some issues but customer service solved the problem very fast. Everything is working wonderfully now. I was very satisfied with the payment process and the value I received. I feel like I got a very good deal. I would recommend the place to a friend because of the deal I got. I feel like I got a high quality product for a good price. I was told it was one of the best brand to try to get and I am very happy with it so far.

Bought it online. This was for my father as a gift, and he likes it, he tried different hearing aids in the past and didn't work well. He's using the pair I got him all the time. One of the cheapest hearing aids, my father spent thousand of dollars in the past but he wasn't satisfied with quality, now he leaves it on the whole time. Better than other hearings aids my father bought, he likes the quality, he doesn't have to turn on the tv all the way up and can hear us clearly.

This is now my 2nd set of Oticon Hearing Aids after wearing Phonak, Siemens and Resound in the past. Oticon has allowed me to hear much better in almost all situations where my other aids didn't. Their hearing aids rarely give me problems, and when it did it was fixed quickly, and returned to me within a few days. As an Audiologist, I appreciate their dedication to providing great products and great customer service for all my patients. I do fit many different brands of hearing aids but seem to get the most satisfied results when I use their products.

The Alta Pro is my third different Oticon hearing aid. My audiologist just can't seem to get them adjusted right for me. Probably have tried 15+ times on these and predecessor Epoq to get them set right for me. The Alta Pro have a few features that make them actually worse than Epoq. My program 1 is my primary hearing setting and anytime there is any background noise they go into an automatic muting or override fashion where hearing appears muted of a fashion. Going to my position 3 for noisy backgrounds doesn't fix things either. Can't get my voice to sound right to me and I often hear as if I am in a tunnel. Fix one problem and we create another. Not happy with $6000 worth of hearing aids that I often have to shut off in noisy environments because I can't hear correctly. Also have problems in setting 1 where volume is fine but comprehension is terrible.

My husband got these approx. 1 month ago and they have been wonderful. He's hearing things that he hasn't heard in years. They work wonderfully as blue tooth for his smart phone and for TV listening.

I wish I had seen these reviews prior to getting my new expensive hearing aids. I'm not new to hearing aids - only new to this brand. These are not very powerful for moderate hearing loss and I ended up with custom molds which are not as comfortable as the dome I was hoping for. They do not sit well in the ear canal even though Oticon has done them twice. I've been told they adjust them at the factory for THEIR idea of a good fit. They have been sent back twice because of mechanical issues - shutting down and restarting for no reason. I've had to have far too many 'TWEAKS'. The quality is not comparable to Resound or Widex which I had very little issues with.

I'm still in the 3-year warranty period. I am satisfied with the hearing quality of the aids, but for the money I paid, I should not have had 3 consecutive failures with the low battery warning system with each replacement. I am wondering if Oticon replaces warranty repairs with refurbished aids. I am not looking forward to what will happen after the warranty is over and I am thinking twice about another Oticon due to questionable quality control.

I had purchased a set of Oticon aid about 5 years ago. After 2 years of use the left side totally went dead. I was told it would cost around 250 dollars to repair. I had the device repaired, after 3 months it went out again. Recently the other device went dead. I've spent over 6,000 dollars for devices. Need to know what Oticon can do to repair or replace devices.

I am a health care practitioner and I recently had a horrible experience with Oticon's customer service manager David **. To make a long story short, they negligently took my mom's hearing aids for repair and refuse to return them to her without a $400 fee even though she just wants them back unrepaired. She is a senior with Alzheimer's disease. After numerous conversations with Mr. ** I realized that there are all kinds of cruel people in the world and sadly they too often become representatives of companies. The rude and thoughtless manner of Mr. ** made me call the Alzheimer's society who greatly referred me to a company that thoughtfully helps patients who need a little more compassion from people. The new company that we purchased the hearing aids from did an amazing job in both quality of the product and customer service.

I kept telling my audiologist that listening through these I couldn't enjoy the music as well, or hear my own voice clearly. They are so tiny they are almost impossible to adjust when the need arises, even then it is done with a click of a button instead of a roller that is easier to operate, and the small size makes them almost impractical. What is really aggravating is they do not seem to work independently of each other and the 312 batteries do not last but 4 or 5 days, as compared to almost a month with my old ReSound devices with size 13 batteries. The ReSound hearing aids were superior in every way compared to these.

Have been wearing them for two months, and have never been happier. Been in for several adjustments, but it was for increase in phone volume, and volume when hooked up to my Kindle. The regular volume was fine. Works very well in restaurants, and I have a mode that I can switch to if needed to direct the reception. The phone Bluetooth feature is great, sounds like they are in the room with you. People on the other end said there is no change in the volume or voice using the remote mic.

When I sign in my email address is spelled incorrect thus I am not receiving your weekly email news. I used Oticon for 11 years but needed more powerful ones.

Used 2 other brands but decided to stick with Oticon which worked best for me. Some people complain about them falling out of the ear. Oticon does have a small wire which is attached and placed in the ear to help hold them into the curve of the ear, thus prevent falling out. Ask about it...

Alta 2 - I received a pair of loaners from my audiologist. Not only did they not perform as promised, but the little plastic end came off and got stuck in my ear, necessitating a trip to the emergency room for removal. On June 28, 2015, I wrote to Oticon stating the above and asking for reimbursement of my medical expenses in the amount of $54.90, enclosing copies of bills. To date, I have not even received the courtesy of a reply.

The photos on the front of manual do not give the model number of hearing aids shown. Therefore. I don't know which battery to buy! Drugstore (Walgreens) has no information on batteries that fit different models. I had the aids in my purse -- that didn't help the situation. By the way the white sliding door case I was given is TOO SMALL. I can't even close the sliding drawer with the magnetic wand in it too, and maybe new batteries. It is useless for purse or travel. The aids are very hard to fit in my ear. Once in, they are uncomfortable to wear. I wish I had the opportunity to consider other, more comfortable aids, but this was my only choice thru Medicaid. Consequence? I don't wear them very much. Just plays, or church.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Oticon is a Denmark-based manufacturer of hearing aids. Founded in 1904 by a man who wanted to help his hearing-impaired wife, Oticon is one of the longest-lived hearing aid companies in the world. The company has American headquarters in New Jersey and has long been at the forefront of hearing and auditory research.

• Product selection: Oticon has a wide selection of over-the-ear, in-the-ear and in-the-canal solutions for people of all ages with mild to severe loss. It also offers a wide selection of styles, including various skin tone shades, trendy colors and more. Children, in particular, will enjoy the color selection for over-the-ear aids and the complimentary sticker pack to personalize their look.
  • Streaming sound: Oticon introduced the Oticon Opn hearing aid model in 2016, which connects to the Internet to perform a variety of tasks, including streaming music, movies and telephone calls directly to the hearing aid.
  • Tinnitus SoundSupport: Oticon developed a special feature called Tinnitus SoundSupport, for those who suffer from tinnitus. SoundSupport is integrated into the Alta2, Nera2, and Ria2 hearing aid models to provide direct sound therapy support. People with tinnitus can also use the Oticon Tinnitus Sound app for iPhone or Android to choose additional sounds or stream their own music library to their aids.
  • IFTTT connectivity: Oticon Opn allows users to program the hearing aids to interact with other smart devices in the home or office using the Oticon ON app. The Opn connects to If This Then That (IFTTT), a website that synchronizes smart technology in the home. You can set your preferences so if you do one thing using a device, something else happens with another device; for example, if you turn your hearing aid on, then your home lights come on and your coffee begins to brew.
  • Helpful website: The Oticon website features a customer support page with information on how to clean your hearing aids, replace the dome, operate your aids and fix common problems. You can also download operating manuals, view videos and locate a hearing center near you.
  • Best for aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Compare Hearing Aids