1.99/5

Need a good hearing aid?

Need a good hearing aid?

83 Oticon Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have had my Oticon OPNs for almost 3 years now and other than a vibration noise which ended up being caused by my glasses vibrating against the case, I have had no problems. I realize how poor my hearing is when I pop them out! I'm getting 4 to 5 days out of a set of batteries and months out of a set of wax filters. It has made talking in social groups MUCH less stressful - I no longer have to watch people's lips and concentrate to understand what is being said, and I find they handle background noise VERY well, contrary to what several others have reported.

The one disappointment is they never came up with the app to connect to non-Apple phones. The Bluetooth WAS handy when I lost my hearing aids and was able to prove they were both IN my pickup truck and I found them under the seat - not in the trailer full of old shingles I had just torn off the roof. It was a hard pill to swallow that the pair of hearing aids was worth more than BOTH vehicles in my driveway - and now I can hear all the squeaks and rattles they make.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Only had two weeks and working great. My biggest issue is the tools provided to change out the filters. They are very small and once you have taken out the used filter, you cannot tell what is the new one. I have put the old one back in thinking it was the new one when in fact it was not. You need complete uninterrupted time to stay focused on what you are doing with zero distractions to get them back in place correctly. The little black piece holding the filter is very small and hard to hold especially if you have arthritis or can't see very well. I much prefer the orange stick from Starkey for changing filters as it is much easier to direct and much easier to tell which end is which has the used one versus the new one.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I got mine thru the VA and I can hear things I have not heard in 30 years. I thought all the crickets had died until I got these. I had another brand before and they not nearly as good as these. No problems with wax traps or battery life. Hard plastic ear pieces that fit good with no irritation.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have been wearing hearing aids for over 25 years. Before my current pair of Oticon, I used the premium aids from Widex. In my experience, if you keep them clean, handle them with care, have an audiologist who cares and explains how to use them correctly, you will be very happy with them. I can actually hear well now! The Oticons are by far the best I have ever owned. If you are patient, can understand directions, have a warranty, you are good. I have always used disposable batteries. I do not recommend rechargeables due to all the negative reviews. Every year or 2 years you will have to replace the receiver. If you have an iPhone you will be in hearing aid heaven.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've noticed many of the reviews reference battery problems, especially rechargeables. I use disposable batteries, and they are fine. I change them once a week. Other complaints were problems regarding the warranties bought from the re-seller -- again, not a problem with the hearing aids themselves. I'm just saying... I have moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. Without hearing aids, I can't communicate well in noisy environments, and even in relatively quiet ones, often have to ask folks to repeat themselves.

I have a pair of the Oticon Ria 2 aids, purchased from a reputable audiologist (Au.D., CCC-A) who was recommended by my E.N.T. doctor. The hearing aids cost less than $2,000 for the pair. I've never had a problem with them. The yearly maintenance is a bit pricey, but that was my choice by not purchasing the "bundled" maintenance. I change the domes and the wax guards on the first of each month -- never had any difficulty with them. I've had these instruments for almost 2 years and wear them daily.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Constant white noise, made me feel on edge and so relaxing when I took them off at night. The battery door broke after 4 months and I never got them replaced. Worst $4000 investment. This brand was purchased through Cleveland Clinic.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

For a $5500 purchase it just gives me fits, just fine talking one or two to one but any crowd is tough and a noisy background like restaurants or bars forget it. Now let's talk about bluetooth or lack thereof, spotty to say the least loses connection a lot and on restart you may have to do it many times before it finally works. I live in a hot environment with a lot of ceiling fans and a/c noise. There has to be a better choice.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

OPN 1 mini rte is full on crap. Do not buy! $6k of crap. These things are $6000 of crap. The Bluetooth function is spotty at best. I need them, but I would never. Ever. Recommend these expensive prices of crap. iPhone earbuds are much better. These things should be avoided at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

So here's my Oticon hearing aid review, after approximately six months of use: Price: Over $7500. Technical dependability: Very Poor. I've been back and forth to the audiologist's office repeatedly over the last six months trying to get technical problems fixed. First they dropped their Bluetooth connectivity. Then the rechargeable batteries failed to hold a charge. Shortly after the batteries were replaced, the left hearing aid just went completely belly up. After that, the manufacturer replaced both hearing aids with a new "upgraded" version. Those functioned for a couple of months, until the speaker in the left one failed. Just got that replaced last week. It's not like I've test driven a bunch of OTHER hearing aids, of course, but I am inclined to say that Oticon's quality is just unacceptable.

Suitability to Purpose: Even when they're working, they don't really work: Manufacturer's and provider's claims to the contrary notwithstanding, all these devices seem to do is make my world louder; they do nothing to make it clearer. I could have got louder from a $29.95 as-seen-on-TV pocket amplifier. I am not a happy camper.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have a pair of Oticon Opn1 miniRITE. I have been using them for just over a year, they are not as good as Oticon's very slick advertising claims them to be, they are a good sound amplifier but not much else. As for picking out voices in a room full of people is nonsense. There should be some kind of official body to fully test their claims before they are allowed to make them. When you are spending nearly £3,500 on a couple of these aids you want to be sure the company claims are correct.

Oticon Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Oticon is a Denmark-based manufacturer of hearing aids. Founded in 1904 by a man who wanted to help his hearing-impaired wife, Oticon is one of the longest-lived hearing aid companies in the world. The company has American headquarters in New Jersey and has long been at the forefront of hearing and auditory research.

• Product selection: Oticon has a wide selection of over-the-ear, in-the-ear and in-the-canal solutions for people of all ages with mild to severe loss. It also offers a wide selection of styles, including various skin tone shades, trendy colors and more. Children, in particular, will enjoy the color selection for over-the-ear aids and the complimentary sticker pack to personalize their look.

• Streaming sound: Oticon introduced the Oticon Opn hearing aid model in 2016, which connects to the Internet to perform a variety of tasks, including streaming music, movies and telephone calls directly to the hearing aid.

• Tinnitus SoundSupport: Oticon developed a special feature called Tinnitus SoundSupport, for those who suffer from tinnitus. SoundSupport is integrated into the Alta2, Nera2, and Ria2 hearing aid models to provide direct sound therapy support. People with tinnitus can also use the Oticon Tinnitus Sound app for iPhone or Android to choose additional sounds or stream their own music library to their aids.

• IFTTT connectivity: Oticon Opn allows users to program the hearing aids to interact with other smart devices in the home or office using the Oticon ON app. The Opn connects to If This Then That (IFTTT), a website that synchronizes smart technology in the home. You can set your preferences so if you do one thing using a device, something else happens with another device; for example, if you turn your hearing aid on, then your home lights come on and your coffee begins to brew.

• Helpful website: The Oticon website features a customer support page with information on how to clean your hearing aids, replace the dome, operate your aids and fix common problems. You can also download operating manuals, view videos and locate a hearing center near you.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information