2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.42/5

Oticon Hearing Aids Reviews

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I have had the same hearing aids for almost two years. Several times I have jumped in the shower with them in, and a couple of times my right one got pretty wet. So I scramble to get out of the shower, then I pulled out the batteries, grabbed my blow dryer and on warm I dry out the hearing aids. Then the SCARE, do they still work. Well I'm wearing them now LOL. I wear mine sometimes 24+ hours due to my sleeping patterns, and I'm surprisingly happy with the battery life, for as many hours that I wear them.

Now with the Oticon App, and the difference between the Android App and the Apple IOS. If you have an Apple iPhone, you can use the iPhone for phone calls without having to purchase a little/big obnoxious black box to clip to your shirt for $200. I don't know about the IOS App, but I do know my android Oticon Event log will show, let's say that I connect at 7AM, it will show, "Hearing Aid Connected" 2, 3, 4 times. It also loses connection, and when I open the Oticon App, it has to connect/reconnect which skews the Event log as well as the screen that shows you how many hours for the, Day, Week, and month. So you have no idea, well you just don't. I wrote a review on the Google Play Store, which was pointless, since I saw no replies from the programmers. I did email the contact listed a few months ago, stating what I have said here. Obviously fell on deaf ears.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I am a professional Spanish interpreter; hearing is crucial. My audiologist recommended them because of her experience with them and the fact that I can link my iPhone to them through bluetooth. I have had them for nearly two years with no problems. The difference in hearing is amazing. The first several days I walked around with my mouth open at the things I could hear. There is a lot of sound out there.

Bluetooth connectivity is a very useful tool. With an app on my phone, I can adjust the volume level up and down and turn them off when necessary depending on conditions. The app is a bit slow to make the connection, 30-45 seconds, but I recommend using it. There is an iPhone setting that allows music from the phone to play through the OPN 2's I didn't like it because because at my setting, the hearing aids emphasize high pitched sounds. That resulted in tinny sounding music. The results are much better when music comes through speakers or a good sound system.

They are easy to use and care for. Routine hygiene and an occasional wiping is about all they require. Every three months or so I replace the domes and wax guards. Early models had reliability issues according to reviews that I've read. I've had none in two years. They work as advertised. Battery life is good. With batteries supplied by my audiologist and Amazon Basics, I get about 4 days. I recently started using Rayovac batteries and am getting 6-7 days. If appearance is a concern, my friends did not know that I was using hearing aids until I showed them. Based on my experience with the OPN 2's, they are a fine choice. I would suggest looking to see if you can get them through some state assistance program such as workers comp. The discount may be huge even if you have an out of pocket.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have had my Oticon OPNs for almost 3 years now and other than a vibration noise which ended up being caused by my glasses vibrating against the case, I have had no problems. I realize how poor my hearing is when I pop them out! I'm getting 4 to 5 days out of a set of batteries and months out of a set of wax filters. It has made talking in social groups MUCH less stressful - I no longer have to watch people's lips and concentrate to understand what is being said, and I find they handle background noise VERY well, contrary to what several others have reported.

The one disappointment is they never came up with the app to connect to non-Apple phones. The Bluetooth WAS handy when I lost my hearing aids and was able to prove they were both IN my pickup truck and I found them under the seat - not in the trailer full of old shingles I had just torn off the roof. It was a hard pill to swallow that the pair of hearing aids was worth more than BOTH vehicles in my driveway - and now I can hear all the squeaks and rattles they make.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Only had two weeks and working great. My biggest issue is the tools provided to change out the filters. They are very small and once you have taken out the used filter, you cannot tell what is the new one. I have put the old one back in thinking it was the new one when in fact it was not. You need complete uninterrupted time to stay focused on what you are doing with zero distractions to get them back in place correctly. The little black piece holding the filter is very small and hard to hold especially if you have arthritis or can't see very well. I much prefer the orange stick from Starkey for changing filters as it is much easier to direct and much easier to tell which end is which has the used one versus the new one.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Due to family complaints about my hearing, I purchased these hearing aids to satisfy them. The aids have held up well, and that's the only thing good about them. All they do is make everything louder and with poor quality sound. I hate them. At home, I use, instead, Sony wireless headphones on my TVs, synthesizer, and my PlayStation 4. These headphones only cost about $ 70, and the fidelity is GREAT. I should have returned these hearing aids when I could have. My suggestion to you is DO NOT compromise what you want from your hearing aids!!!! I rarely wear them. I hate them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had to procure hearing aids for my father. I floated inquiry in India mart. I got a call from many suppliers, of which one was very competitive. But Mr. Hitesh **, DGM sales, Oticon got in touch with me through another dealer and said that the other one who is offering least price is unauthorized and I should procure it from the supplier recommended by him. I ended up buying it at a higher price. Now, when I got to know that Mr. Hitesh was telling lies and the other supplier is authentic and I asked Oticon to help me get the device returned to the supplier, they are hiding and not attending calls. They are clearly at fault. If anyone of you want to save your hard earned money, please call me on **, I will help you get in touch with the genuine supplier. I do have every details and proofs of what I have quoted here.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

It is very expensive. I paid over 7500 CAD for these in January 2019, almost 8k CAD with ZPower rechargeable kit. Since then I had:

1 - ZPower batteries just drain super quick. Instead of lasting a day of usage (say, from 7am to 10pm) they started lasting 7 or 8 hours, which makes them useless. Returned the kit. Still waiting to be refunded on that kit.
          2 - Lots of Bluetooth connection problems. For whichever reason the phones might randomly not connect to Bluetooth, so it will not stream or will not be able to be managed via phone APP. Shitty both in Android and iPhone.
          3 - One of the hearing aids stopped working randomly in December, so not even a full year of usage. It cannot finish the booting cycle (the song) and then it keeps going on and off, which creates an irritating white noise. I am as of now using one year only and the world feels weird.

4 - Not loud enough when streaming phone calls on them. Cannot pick up those calls on loud places.

All in all, for my first experience with hearing aids I am beyond unimpressed. Expensive, bad quality (who wants to be reminded all the time of their deafness with those bugs?) and inconvenient (who wants to be troubled by multiple last-minute visits to the audiologist?).

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Three times in 2 years I had to traipse to the audiologist to send them back for replacement. Traipse again to pick up. Repeat and then Repeat. The fourth time I was told it was the humidity. A dryer kit was recommended. Not the issue and another waste of money. Different brands of batteries did not make a difference. Why a fresh battery lasts for 2 hours? It will give me great pleasure to smash them both with a hammer and send them back. Would not recommend this brand to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have had them for two years and initially they were great. Comfortable. Hearing was quite clear although they would not increase volume. My old clunkers went through a battery a week. The new Oticon uses 2 each week. They have a little white filter that must be replaced when plugged. Initially this was every few weeks but over time they could stop working after a day. I keep my ears very clean. Washing and with Q tips. As a snowbird I spend 6 months in Mexico. After a month I had to give up on the new Oticons and go back to the 7 year old ones. Old but reliable. My hearing clinic wouldn't supply the filters or batteries based on actual usage so I must wait till I go back to Canada to get parts. Not happy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I went to a wonderful audiologist in DC in 2014 and she prescribed two Oticon Opn miniRITE Z power hearing aids. Within a month I started having trouble with one and sometimes the other or both not charging properly or not holding a charge. At great inconvenience to me I had to go back to the doctor's office multiple times to drop off and then pick up replacement batteries, replacement charging dock, and even the hearing aids themselves. When they work they do a good job (nothing to compare them to) but they have never held a charge longer than 8 hours at best and that is not long enough! I know that they now make a different product with a different battery that supposedly stays charged longer because they recognize and acknowledge the flaws in their older model.

Mine are still under warranty (which, by the way, was extended by them from 3-4 years because of the trouble users were having with this defective design). They refuse to exchange them for new ones despite my many exchanges and patience with these frustrating aids. Instead, they sent me a new charger, new battery doors, and new rechargeable batteries. Believe me--when it is time to buy my next pair I will not even consider Oticon! Their customer service is NO GOOD. THEY DON'T CARE about the customer and will not do the right and reasonable thing of standing behind their product and their warranty. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Not sure about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right hearing aid for you.

Oticon Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Oticon is a Denmark-based manufacturer of hearing aids. Founded in 1904 by a man who wanted to help his hearing-impaired wife, Oticon is one of the longest-lived hearing aid companies in the world. The company has American headquarters in New Jersey and has long been at the forefront of hearing and auditory research.

• Product selection: Oticon has a wide selection of over-the-ear, in-the-ear and in-the-canal solutions for people of all ages with mild to severe loss. It also offers a wide selection of styles, including various skin tone shades, trendy colors and more. Children, in particular, will enjoy the color selection for over-the-ear aids and the complimentary sticker pack to personalize their look.

• Streaming sound: Oticon introduced the Oticon Opn hearing aid model in 2016, which connects to the Internet to perform a variety of tasks, including streaming music, movies and telephone calls directly to the hearing aid.

• Tinnitus SoundSupport: Oticon developed a special feature called Tinnitus SoundSupport, for those who suffer from tinnitus. SoundSupport is integrated into the Alta2, Nera2, and Ria2 hearing aid models to provide direct sound therapy support. People with tinnitus can also use the Oticon Tinnitus Sound app for iPhone or Android to choose additional sounds or stream their own music library to their aids.

• IFTTT connectivity: Oticon Opn allows users to program the hearing aids to interact with other smart devices in the home or office using the Oticon ON app. The Opn connects to If This Then That (IFTTT), a website that synchronizes smart technology in the home. You can set your preferences so if you do one thing using a device, something else happens with another device; for example, if you turn your hearing aid on, then your home lights come on and your coffee begins to brew.

• Helpful website: The Oticon website features a customer support page with information on how to clean your hearing aids, replace the dome, operate your aids and fix common problems. You can also download operating manuals, view videos and locate a hearing center near you.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information