2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.68/5

Oticon hearing aids come in several innovative models with many available add-ons. The company’s technological features, such as the OpenSound Optimizer and OpenSound Navigator, help eliminate whistling and balance sound in ambient environments. Some models offer rechargeable batteries, Bluetooth connectivity and tinnitus relief.

BOTTOM LINE

Oticon has seven lines of hearing aids in various styles and up to 12 colors for kids and adults. Some come with Bluetooth and tinnitus-relief technology. Since Oticon doesn’t sell to consumers, users buy from audiologists.

PROS

• Styles for kids
  • 2.4 GHz Bluetooth tech
  • Tinnitus SoundSupport
  • OpenSound Optimizer

CONS

• No online info about financing
  • Doesn’t sell directly to consumers

Top Oticon Hearing Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

I have had my Oticon OPNs for almost 3 years now. It has made talking in social groups MUCH less stressful - I no longer have to watch people's lips and concentrate to understand what is being said, and I find they handle background noise VERY well, contrary to what several others have reported.

I am a professional Spanish interpreter; hearing is crucial. My audiologist recommended [Oticon]. I have had them for nearly two years with no problems. The difference in hearing is amazing. The first several days I walked around with my mouth open at the things I could hear.

What is Oticon?

Oticon sells some of the most innovative hearing aids on the market. Oticon has been in business since 1904 and offers hearing solutions for a variety of hearing loss issues affecting people of all ages. It also sells hearing aid accessories and solutions for issues such as tinnitus. Oticon hearing aids can connect to your phone or TV to make these devices easier to use. Authorized Oticon hearing care professionals have offices all over the U.S.

Oticon hearing aid models

Oticon offers seven different model lines of hearing aids, including behind-the-ear, in-the-ear and receiver-in-canal devices. Most models, including the Xceed Play and Opn Play, are available in a variety of colors. The company helps provide tinnitus relief with patented technologies like Tinnitus SoundSupport, and it makes hearing aids available for veterans through Veterans Affairs Clinics.

Oticon Xceed
    This powerful behind-the-ear hearing aid is great for those with severe to profound hearing loss. It connects to any smartphone and many other accessories using 2.4 GHz Bluetooth technology. The Oticon Xceed is available in two styles and seven different colors.
    Oticon Xceed Play
    This hearing aid is for children with severe to profound hearing loss. It is durable and designed with active children in mind. The company builds it with hypoallergenic materials, and it has an LED light that confirms the battery is properly functioning. Oticon’s Xceed Play is available in 12 colors.
    Oticon Opn
    Oticon Opn is Oticon’s highly customizable line of hearing aids. These hearing aids decipher accurate information about what’s around you rather than just isolating one voice. Oticon’s Opn hearing aids are available in eight colors as receiver-in-ear, behind-the-ear and in-the-canal models. This line features Oticon’s invisible-in-the-canal hearing aid as well.
    Oticon Opn S
    The Oticon Opn S is a rechargeable hearing aid that comes with 2.4 GHz wireless technology and OpenSound Optimizer to remove the annoying whistling that is characteristic of some hearing aids. This line comes in receiver-in-the-ear and behind-the-ear styles.
    Oticon Opn Play
    This discreet hearing aid helps children with hearing loss adapt to their environment. OpenSound Navigator technology helps a child understand speech in noisy classrooms. This line comes in 12 colors and is available as a receiver-in-the-ear and behind-the-ear hearing aid.
    Oticon CROS
    The Oticon CROS is designed for those with single-ear deafness. Its OpenSound Navigator technology balances out sound. The CROS is a receiver-in-canal model available in seven colors.
    Oticon Siya
    The Oticon Siya lets you stream music and connect to your TV with 2.4 GHz Bluetooth technology. This line is available in nine styles, including in-the-ear, in-the-canal, receiver-in-the-ear and behind-the-ear.

Oticon hearing aid prices

Oticon hearing aids range in price from about $1,800 to $4,000. The final price varies based on the type of hearing aid and the features and accessories you choose. Hearing aids with high-end features typically cost more. These features add to the hearing aid price but provide more help with specific types of hearing loss or with hearing loss of greater severity.

How to get an Oticon hearing aid

Oticon hearing aids can be purchased from hearing care centers that are authorized Oticon dealers. Usually, the hearing care center performs hearing tests or other diagnostics that help you choose the best hearing aid for your needs. Each center has different financing and discount programs, so ask about these during your consultation. Some hearing aid care centers also sell batteries and help troubleshoot and care for your hearing aid.

Oticon hearing aid FAQ

How long do Oticon hearing aids last?
    The lifetime of any hearing aid depends on the way it is worn and used. In general, in-the-ear hearing aids don't last as long as behind-the-ear hearing aids because they are exposed to more moisture, sweat and earwax. Expect in-the-ear hearing aids to last about four or five years. Behind-the-ear hearing aids last longer — about five to six years.
    Does Costco carry Oticon hearing aids?
    No. Costco carries several different brands of hearing aids, but it does not carry Oticon hearing aids.
    What is the application process for Oticon hearing aids?
    The application process to get an Oticon hearing aid varies by hearing care center. Typically, you need to make an appointment with the hearing center, discuss your needs and get a hearing test. You may also get a hearing aid fitting. Your local audiologist gives you everything you need to get an Oticon hearing aid.
    Can Oticon hearing aids be repaired?
    Yes, Oticon hearing aids can often be repaired. Ask the hearing care professional who sells you the hearing aid about needed repairs. There is also a troubleshooting guide under the "Support" section of Oticon’s website.

Is Oticon a good hearing aid?

Oticon has a wide range of hearing aid models, including special designs just for kids or people with single-ear deafness. Its Tinnitus SoundSupport helps anyone with tinnitus. With Bluetooth connectivity, rechargeable options and patented OpenSound technology, Oticon’s hearing aids are sophisticated and a strong choice for anyone with hearing loss.

Oticon Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

It is difficult to assign fault as to where to assign success or failure in hearing aids because so much is dependent on the personal cause of hearing loss - nerve damage, structural issues, etc.. I have owned three different brands of hearing aids and Oticon has improved my hearing the most. The ambient noise suppression is the best of those tried. The selective volume control for my hearing still needs improvement. Get the best audiologist because they can get the most out of the instrument..

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Bought other hearing aid from Costco, but this Oticon has well out performed the other. When I received my Oticon and had it programed for my special hearing needs, I could not believe the difference in quality. I have have this hearing aid for over 4 years, with yearly adjustment for my hearing loss. I cannot express loudly enough. This is the best quality and reliance I could have ever asked for.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Very satisfied with my Oticon hearing aids. Originally recommended, fitted and calibrated by my audiologist. Small size hides comfortably behind my ear. Friends don’t even realize I am wearing them. Rechargeable negates the need for replacement batteries. Replaceable ear cones in various sizes assures a quality fit. Syncs with my iPhone for ease of adjustment if needed depending on my surroundings.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

The Oticon Hearing aids are small and compact. I got the black ones to go with my dark hair and nobody can see them at all. I chose the battery ones over the rechargables so I never have to worry about losing battery life. I would just pop in a new battery and be on my way. The hearing aids are easy to clean and maintain. I highly recommend Oticon Hearing Aids.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I have been using Oticon hearing aids for over 15 years and have found this product to be very durable and trouble-free. The warranty period is three years and I ask my audiologist to send them to the manufacturer for a final check-up just before the warranty runs. When they return, all refurbished, they are generally good for another three years trouble free. After six years use, there are sufficient improvements in the product to justify replacement with the current product - another oticon. When repairs must be made (very rarely) the turn-a-round time is less than a week. The sound is very good and the audiologist can make all adjustments via her computer program very quickly. I generally have them checked by the audiologist every three months.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

The filters included for different settings (outdoor, restaurant, etc) really do not help. On the other hand, it is possible for me to buy my own filters and clean these myself without needing to return to the hearing center.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I am profoundly hearing impaired and this is the only brand I know of that can help. I have been wearing them and upgrading every few years for about 20 years. I have shopped with several audiologists and came back to the one I found 15 years ago. He prescribes many brands.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Oticon Ruby are my second set of hearing aids and they are amazingly clear and crisp and a joy to wear. No feedback, buzzing, or distortion. Integrate with technology to receive sound directly from the TV. Enhanced setting for listening to music. I would highly recommend Oticon Ruby hearing aids.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I sometimes need to recharge early in the evening, only the right one does this. Overall I love the box that places TV sound right through my hearing aids. That is a unique and amazing feature where the speech is clear.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I have had these for almost 4 years now. I am very pleased with how they are holding up and like the ability to calibrate to various types of sounds and sound levels. Very comfortable in the ear. I've never had a problem with them since they were purchased and would recommend these to anyone.

Oticon Hearing Aids author review by Shelley Webb

Oticon has seven lines of hearing aids, including two models for children and one for those with single-sided deafness. Local Oticon sellers can provide information about hearing aids prices and financing.

• Products: Seven model lines are available, including receiver-in-ear, behind-the-ear, invisible-in-canal, in-the-canal and receiver-in-ear styles. Two models, the Xceed Play and Opn Play, are specifically for children and teens, and one model, the CROS, is for people with hearing loss in one ear.

• Features: Available features include smartphone connectivity, Bluetooth compatibility and rechargeable batteries. The company’s OpenSound technology isolates important audio and removes ambient noise and annoying whistling. Tinnitus SoundSupport can be added to most hearing aids. Some models are also customizable, and each has between seven and 12 color options.

• Trial and warranty: Risk-free trials may be available. Talk to your local provider.

• Locations: Oticon hearing aids are sold by local audiologists. To find one near you, visit Oticon’s hearing clinic locator.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information