2.67/5
Based on 63 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a good hearing aid?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

63 Oticon Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I got mine thru the VA and I can hear things I have not heard in 30 years. I thought all the crickets had died until I got these. I had another brand before and they not nearly as good as these. No problems with wax traps or battery life. Hard plastic ear pieces that fit good with no irritation.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have been wearing hearing aids for over 25 years. Before my current pair of Oticon, I used the premium aids from Widex. In my experience, if you keep them clean, handle them with care, have an audiologist who cares and explains how to use them correctly, you will be very happy with them. I can actually hear well now! The Oticons are by far the best I have ever owned. If you are patient, can understand directions, have a warranty, you are good. I have always used disposable batteries. I do not recommend rechargeables due to all the negative reviews. Every year or 2 years you will have to replace the receiver. If you have an iPhone you will be in hearing aid heaven.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've noticed many of the reviews reference battery problems, especially rechargeables. I use disposable batteries, and they are fine. I change them once a week. Other complaints were problems regarding the warranties bought from the re-seller -- again, not a problem with the hearing aids themselves. I'm just saying... I have moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. Without hearing aids, I can't communicate well in noisy environments, and even in relatively quiet ones, often have to ask folks to repeat themselves.

I have a pair of the Oticon Ria 2 aids, purchased from a reputable audiologist (Au.D., CCC-A) who was recommended by my E.N.T. doctor. The hearing aids cost less than $2,000 for the pair. I've never had a problem with them. The yearly maintenance is a bit pricey, but that was my choice by not purchasing the "bundled" maintenance. I change the domes and the wax guards on the first of each month -- never had any difficulty with them. I've had these instruments for almost 2 years and wear them daily.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The little filters are a pain to replace as they are so small. Seem to plug up easy. Sometimes when I replace a battery the aid stops working. Gave up and went back to my old hearing aids. $5,200.00 down the drain.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Before you buy an Oticon, please be aware that the rechargeable batteries do NOT work. I have had my hearing aid for less than a year. I have had three different sets of rechargeable batteries. Now the fourth battery will only work for one hour after charging all night. I am lucky that the audiologist has replaced, free of charge, all of the defective batteries but it is a pain in the neck to have to keep returning them. The hearing aid works ok. In noisy environments it does not help me hear conversations that I am having. My main complaint is with the batteries. Changing the hearing aid doors did not help. I even received a new charger after the first one quit working. That did not help with the batteries either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Philip, you should be able to use disposable batteries in your aids instead of the rechargeable. I just got new aids and the battery life doesn't last long enough in a day for me. I use disposable in them. I have found though, that these hearing aids use battery life much quicker than my last Oticon ones that I purchased 5 years ago. 4 days vs 7 days.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I only wear one hearing aid and I always forget it’s even in. I always forget to take it out before getting in the shower. Never had any problems with Oticon hearing aid. I’ve been wearing it for seven years now. Never had any problems with it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I bought the option of the rechargeable batteries and in the first few weeks the unit did not work. Brought it back to the provider and was told they were recalled. No notice was sent out. Got the unit back and less than a year the batteries would not hold a charge. The provider charges $50.00 for replacement batteries. I contact the company to confirm the price which they would not do. No other rechargeable battery will work and their battery is not available on the internet. I feel I made two mistakes - first dealing with a company with poor customer service and second buying the rechargeable battery option.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Paid $6500 for the top of the line aids. I bought them because I was told Oticon would replace them once for three years if lost or damaged. BS! My hearing provider told me it was $400 each to replace when I lost one. Oticon told me the replacement policy is whatever the service provider wants to do! I dont like being lied to! Also I have had nothing but problems with one. Look elsewhere to spend your hard earned money on a company with better products and customer support.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

VA issued hearing aids last month. They have stopped working several times. I have reset app and cleaned and replaced wax guards several times with some difficulty also. I have noticed they seem to shut down EVERY FRIDAY EVENING! I charge the batteries every night and they hold a charge. I have been able to reset the app and reboot the aids 4X now! I will be contacting VA and requesting the aids be fixed or replaced. Stay tuned!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My friend bought a set of hearing aids from Oticon and on the aids it is printed 14 and the other one 15. The eye doc told us that meant they were made in 2 different years. Check your hearing aids to see if you have the same problem. Does that mean one is a used hearing aid? I wrote and asked the company for an explanation. The hearing aids are 3 years old and out of warranty.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Got the top of the line 2 years ago and I couldn't be more pleased. Changed my life. I heard birds for the first time in 30 years. They work like they're supposed to. I don't understand all the complaining and whining by people who don't know how to use them properly. Kudos to Oticon for getting it right.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I purchased Oticon Hearing Aids in August of 2017 and have had problems almost immediately. The doors have been replaced 2 times and waiting for 3rd set to arrive. Batteries will not stay charged, last about 8 to 9 hours. Oticon never notifies me of a problem, I call about a problem and tell me that nothing is wrong and that it is my problem. Later I find out there is a real problem with the rechargeable doors! I am disgusted and would like for Oticon to step up and refund my money!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased the Top Of the Line Oticon hearing aid and it is just great. It was expensive but, rechargeable batteries, auto link to iPhone cell phone, it couldn't be better. The competitors are not close in quality, ease of use or features.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Oticon talks the talk but doesn't deliver. In less than a year, I've had to go back to the retailer 6 times to fix problems which included left hearing aid not working (2x), inability to connect to the iPhone and other issues too complicated to describe. The claim that their aids work well in large crowds is simply not true. It was my mistake not to return the product within the first 30 days. This is my 3rd pair of hearing aids in 10 years and by far the worse.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have experienced a fading in and out of sound in a noisy indoor/outdoor restaurant/home environment during a conversation, that does not occur when I'm in a quiet room. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their Oticon (Opn 1 PP BTE) hearing aids?

Original review: April 17, 2018

Received these from VA. Had Starkey before and they were fine but they wouldn't service or guarantee them after 4 years. Oticon through VA was, of course, free. They didn't offer any other options. The ear molds are hard plastic, not soft, so they irritate your ear canal to the point you want to leave them out. My left ear had debris taken out by nurses twice. Clumps of what I assume was skin, the size of a small lima bean. Also got otitis media from them. One went dead and I'll have to go back and wait a month for the repair. I'll also get the rubber domes instead of the ear molds. The wax guards tend to pop out easily and once they get wax in the canal, they slide out faster than you can push them in. Poor design.

Original review: April 16, 2018

As the other folks had said my left hearing aid lasts about 2 weeks and then the left one goes out. I use batteries and they eat batteries about every 5 days or less. Went back to the dealer and they will fix them but will not exchange them for the brand I initially went in for which was Starkey. Had them (Starkey) before and was sold on the idea that they were a better brand than Starkey, shame on me for buying junk. Oticon is made in Switzerland and they do not stand behind their product other than the warranty they give you, and you're on your own after that unless you buy extended warranty for the seller here in Canton, Ohio. Then they only cover minor repairs. I wanted to trade them off for Starkey and they said I was past the 90 day return policy.

Walk away from Oticon if they want you to buy them, they are NOT a better hearing aid. In fact I bet these will only last about 5 years or less. I have them back in again 3rd time in 4 months to fix the problem and to be honest unless the factory replaces it for free I am stuck with a piece on junk... Kind of like the YOGO (car) of hearing aids. I live in Canton, Ohio. BEWARE OF OTICON HEARING AIDS, THEY'RE JUNK!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Most reviews from 2017 talk about problem with this manufacturer. Let me assure you - nothing has changed: Oticon does not train their audiologist to help user, they won't help you online or by phone, and the hearing aids only work a couple of weeks before they fail. Don't even consider them.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My husband bought these hearing aids for $4500 from an audiologist four months ago. She apparently was not aware of all of the problems they have been having with their app until it happened on her phone as well. If he loses Wi-Fi service on iPhone, he loses the hearing aids as well. This happens often at very inopportune times. Additionally, they will not stay charged. They have been sent back once already, and are supposedly okay now. The rechargeable batteries have been replaced, but still the best he can get out of them is 4 hours to 6 hours. We are retired, live on a fixed income, and insurance contributes nothing towards their cost. As far as I am concerned this was $4500 down the drain!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I received my Oticon OPN 2 miniRite Digital hearing aids on 09/22/2017. The pair was priced at $5490.00, and financed through Wells Fargo. After 4 days, the left aid started cutting off in the middle of the afternoon. I would charge both aids from 7:30 pm until 7:00 am. I called the clinic and was told to bring them in for possible repair. It started working again properly for about 3 days. I was scheduled to bring them in on 10/03/2017. On 10/02/2017 the right aid cut off at 2:55 pm. At that point I decided to just return the set. On 10/05/2017 I returned the set to the Center for Audiology in Clarksville, Tn. The lady transferred payment back to Wells Fargo. I was told that I was responsible for a $250.00 fitting fee. I paid the $250.00 cash out of pocket to finalize the transaction, although I was told Wells Fargo could bill me for it.

All of the personnel at the Center for Audiology were very professional, and this review in no way reflects badly on them. I firmly believe that Wells Fargo should refuse to finance this type device. It only results in money transferred back and forth. I am a disabled US Army retiree, and the primary care giver for my wife who is disabled from an auto accident, and suffers from severe dementia. I understand that the VA would provide hearing devices, but when I inquired I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get them. I did schedule appointments, but had to cancel due to an ongoing sinus infection. I needed the devices right away, because when my wife needs something, if I am not right beside her, I had trouble hearing her. I inquired about the time to get them from the Center for Audiology, and was told about 1 week, so I proceeded with them, knowing I would be responsible for the cost. I feel that this brand is substandard and inferior.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Ino Pro Mini Rite - 1st purchase of hearing aids. Received original pair Sept. 2013. In July 2015 both aids began to fail. Returned to Oticon for repair within 2 year warranty period and they were quickly replaced with a pair of refurbished aids. In June 2017 the right aid began to fail and has been returned for repair at $200-$250. Oticon needs to spend more resources, which they surely have at their cost, on producing a more durable product. Currently looking for a company that has better made products.

Original review: July 25, 2017

After 35 years of wearing bilateral hearing aids, the Alta was the very best by far. Walked out of the office, with my profound hearing loss, and could hear better than any of my friends. Many people did not even know I wore them. Then, the Opn came out. The hearing aid's level of difficulty in adjusting to was worse than ANY I had ever worn since my first aids 35 years ago at age 35. Fortunately, the Alta came out with an upgrade, and I am back in the hearing excellence business. Quit spending time on Bluetooth fluff. Stick to just hearing -- what you do best. We live in the wilderness, and even without using Bluetooth, have to recharge my iPhone twice each day. Electronic gizmos do not impress me in the least. I just want to hear, and not play with the aids to adjust them constantly as was necessary with the Opns. My research for the future may not even include Oticon in my choices, unless you stick with the Alta-type line.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I bought a pair of Chili Sp7 hearing aids few years ago and I have sent them away for services within the first year of purchase via audiologist. After the services, I found the sound quality in my hearing aids had significantly reduced. Audiologist tried telling me that it could be the changes to my hearing etc. It has not changed after my last hearing test. I am never going back to Oticon or possibly change the audiologist.

Original review: April 19, 2017

My new Oticon hearing aids are unbelievable. I had an 4 year old set from another manufacturer that were fine when new but wore out. I did a lot of research before purchasing my new hearing aids and went to Total Hearing in North Dallas as they had a variety of aids to try out. My new ones work with my iPhone and I can replace my batteries when necessary and that is what I wanted. I am 84 years old and these hearing aids have really pleased me. They are comfortable and it is like I have no hearing problem.

Original review: March 15, 2017

Opticon Ria 2 Pro - Got them about a week ago. Specialist that fitted them did a great job. The sound is fine. Went back to see him this AM and no adjustments were required. He told me to come in again in 3 weeks to make sure everything is fine.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Oticon Alta is the fourth hearing aid brand that I have used. It is the only one that comes apart, leaving the earbud in my ears, again & again. I've had to go to a doctor to have it removed 3X. Other times I've been able to get it out myself. It can be quite painful and is very annoying.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I recently started wearing my third set of hearing aids - the Oticon Alta's. The sound is great if it works properly, unfortunately they constantly go in for repairs and adjusting which seems to be every 3 months. For such expensive hearing aids they do not seem to be durable as I am more cautious as to what I do with them, than when I was a little boy playing sports and such. The staff at NexGen I can't say I have been impressed as they all told me different things as what they can and cannot do, pricing, etc. However the one lady I ended up dealing with was very good but I cannot justify the price of these hearing aids. I will most likely go back to the Phonaks as they have done very well for me for a long time.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

New to hearing aids. After discussing options, I wanted one that did not require a separate remote and did not need to be fitted to my ear. There were three options and the audiologist recommended the Oticon Opn. I have been delighted. They are easy to put on and greatly enhance my hearing in ALL directions. I have used 3 of the four presets for normal hearing, restaurants, and music. While I have no experience with other hearing aids I am delighted with these and would highly recommend them. This is a new model that has not been out for long. It has sound sensing capabilities to adjust to the sound situation.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I find that these hearing aids sound good. Problem is the sound does not last. I sent the left aid away to get fixed 3 months ago and it stopped now again. This aid was sent away 3 months prior to this for the same thing. This seems to be the same as the last set. I took the chance that over a five year time span they would have solved the issue. Clearly they have not. Will my next set this year be Oticon? I see no reason to stay with them. Sad that these companies can get away with poor quality. Was told that they had extra coatings on the wiring for moisture. That clearly was a lie. Of course my audiologist tries to say "oh your hearing has changed." Well that is and was a put off. Is moisture the problem? I believe so.

Oticon Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Oticon is a Denmark-based manufacturer of hearing aids. Founded in 1904 by a man who wanted to help his hearing-impaired wife, Oticon is one of the longest-lived hearing aid companies in the world. The company has American headquarters in New Jersey and has long been at the forefront of hearing and auditory research.

• Product selection: Oticon has a wide selection of over-the-ear, in-the-ear and in-the-canal solutions for people of all ages with mild to severe loss. It also offers a wide selection of styles, including various skin tone shades, trendy colors and more. Children, in particular, will enjoy the color selection for over-the-ear aids and the complimentary sticker pack to personalize their look.

• Streaming sound: Oticon introduced the Oticon Opn hearing aid model in 2016, which connects to the Internet to perform a variety of tasks, including streaming music, movies and telephone calls directly to the hearing aid.

• Tinnitus SoundSupport: Oticon developed a special feature called Tinnitus SoundSupport, for those who suffer from tinnitus. SoundSupport is integrated into the Alta2, Nera2, and Ria2 hearing aid models to provide direct sound therapy support. People with tinnitus can also use the Oticon Tinnitus Sound app for iPhone or Android to choose additional sounds or stream their own music library to their aids.

• IFTTT connectivity: Oticon Opn allows users to program the hearing aids to interact with other smart devices in the home or office using the Oticon ON app. The Opn connects to If This Then That (IFTTT), a website that synchronizes smart technology in the home. You can set your preferences so if you do one thing using a device, something else happens with another device; for example, if you turn your hearing aid on, then your home lights come on and your coffee begins to brew.

• Helpful website: The Oticon website features a customer support page with information on how to clean your hearing aids, replace the dome, operate your aids and fix common problems. You can also download operating manuals, view videos and locate a hearing center near you.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information