2.49/5

Need a good hearing aid?

Need a good hearing aid?

Oticon Hearing Aids Reviews

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I have had the same hearing aids for almost two years. Several times I have jumped in the shower with them in, and a couple of times my right one got pretty wet. So I scramble to get out of the shower, then I pulled out the batteries, grabbed my blow dryer and on warm I dry out the hearing aids. Then the SCARE, do they still work. Well I'm wearing them now LOL. I wear mine sometimes 24+ hours due to my sleeping patterns, and I'm surprisingly happy with the battery life, for as many hours that I wear them.

Now with the Oticon App, and the difference between the Android App and the Apple IOS. If you have an Apple iPhone, you can use the iPhone for phone calls without having to purchase a little/big obnoxious black box to clip to your shirt for $200. I don't know about the IOS App, but I do know my android Oticon Event log will show, let's say that I connect at 7AM, it will show, "Hearing Aid Connected" 2, 3, 4 times. It also loses connection, and when I open the Oticon App, it has to connect/reconnect which skews the Event log as well as the screen that shows you how many hours for the, Day, Week, and month. So you have no idea, well you just don't. I wrote a review on the Google Play Store, which was pointless, since I saw no replies from the programmers. I did email the contact listed a few months ago, stating what I have said here. Obviously fell on deaf ears.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I am a professional Spanish interpreter; hearing is crucial. My audiologist recommended them because of her experience with them and the fact that I can link my iPhone to them through bluetooth. I have had them for nearly two years with no problems. The difference in hearing is amazing. The first several days I walked around with my mouth open at the things I could hear. There is a lot of sound out there.

Bluetooth connectivity is a very useful tool. With an app on my phone, I can adjust the volume level up and down and turn them off when necessary depending on conditions. The app is a bit slow to make the connection, 30-45 seconds, but I recommend using it. There is an iPhone setting that allows music from the phone to play through the OPN 2's I didn't like it because because at my setting, the hearing aids emphasize high pitched sounds. That resulted in tinny sounding music. The results are much better when music comes through speakers or a good sound system.

They are easy to use and care for. Routine hygiene and an occasional wiping is about all they require. Every three months or so I replace the domes and wax guards. Early models had reliability issues according to reviews that I've read. I've had none in two years. They work as advertised. Battery life is good. With batteries supplied by my audiologist and Amazon Basics, I get about 4 days. I recently started using Rayovac batteries and am getting 6-7 days. If appearance is a concern, my friends did not know that I was using hearing aids until I showed them. Based on my experience with the OPN 2's, they are a fine choice. I would suggest looking to see if you can get them through some state assistance program such as workers comp. The discount may be huge even if you have an out of pocket.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have had my Oticon OPNs for almost 3 years now and other than a vibration noise which ended up being caused by my glasses vibrating against the case, I have had no problems. I realize how poor my hearing is when I pop them out! I'm getting 4 to 5 days out of a set of batteries and months out of a set of wax filters. It has made talking in social groups MUCH less stressful - I no longer have to watch people's lips and concentrate to understand what is being said, and I find they handle background noise VERY well, contrary to what several others have reported.

The one disappointment is they never came up with the app to connect to non-Apple phones. The Bluetooth WAS handy when I lost my hearing aids and was able to prove they were both IN my pickup truck and I found them under the seat - not in the trailer full of old shingles I had just torn off the roof. It was a hard pill to swallow that the pair of hearing aids was worth more than BOTH vehicles in my driveway - and now I can hear all the squeaks and rattles they make.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Only had two weeks and working great. My biggest issue is the tools provided to change out the filters. They are very small and once you have taken out the used filter, you cannot tell what is the new one. I have put the old one back in thinking it was the new one when in fact it was not. You need complete uninterrupted time to stay focused on what you are doing with zero distractions to get them back in place correctly. The little black piece holding the filter is very small and hard to hold especially if you have arthritis or can't see very well. I much prefer the orange stick from Starkey for changing filters as it is much easier to direct and much easier to tell which end is which has the used one versus the new one.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've noticed many of the reviews reference battery problems, especially rechargeables. I use disposable batteries, and they are fine. I change them once a week. Other complaints were problems regarding the warranties bought from the re-seller -- again, not a problem with the hearing aids themselves. I'm just saying... I have moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. Without hearing aids, I can't communicate well in noisy environments, and even in relatively quiet ones, often have to ask folks to repeat themselves.

I have a pair of the Oticon Ria 2 aids, purchased from a reputable audiologist (Au.D., CCC-A) who was recommended by my E.N.T. doctor. The hearing aids cost less than $2,000 for the pair. I've never had a problem with them. The yearly maintenance is a bit pricey, but that was my choice by not purchasing the "bundled" maintenance. I change the domes and the wax guards on the first of each month -- never had any difficulty with them. I've had these instruments for almost 2 years and wear them daily.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I went to a wonderful audiologist in DC in 2014 and she prescribed two Oticon Opn miniRITE Z power hearing aids. Within a month I started having trouble with one and sometimes the other or both not charging properly or not holding a charge. At great inconvenience to me I had to go back to the doctor's office multiple times to drop off and then pick up replacement batteries, replacement charging dock, and even the hearing aids themselves. When they work they do a good job (nothing to compare them to) but they have never held a charge longer than 8 hours at best and that is not long enough! I know that they now make a different product with a different battery that supposedly stays charged longer because they recognize and acknowledge the flaws in their older model.

Mine are still under warranty (which, by the way, was extended by them from 3-4 years because of the trouble users were having with this defective design). They refuse to exchange them for new ones despite my many exchanges and patience with these frustrating aids. Instead, they sent me a new charger, new battery doors, and new rechargeable batteries. Believe me--when it is time to buy my next pair I will not even consider Oticon! Their customer service is NO GOOD. THEY DON'T CARE about the customer and will not do the right and reasonable thing of standing behind their product and their warranty. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Constant white noise, made me feel on edge and so relaxing when I took them off at night. The battery door broke after 4 months and I never got them replaced. Worst $4000 investment. This brand was purchased through Cleveland Clinic.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

For a $5500 purchase it just gives me fits, just fine talking one or two to one but any crowd is tough and a noisy background like restaurants or bars forget it. Now let's talk about bluetooth or lack thereof, spotty to say the least loses connection a lot and on restart you may have to do it many times before it finally works. I live in a hot environment with a lot of ceiling fans and a/c noise. There has to be a better choice.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

OPN 1 mini rte is full on crap. Do not buy! $6k of crap. These things are $6000 of crap. The Bluetooth function is spotty at best. I need them, but I would never. Ever. Recommend these expensive prices of crap. iPhone earbuds are much better. These things should be avoided at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

So here's my Oticon hearing aid review, after approximately six months of use: Price: Over $7500. Technical dependability: Very Poor. I've been back and forth to the audiologist's office repeatedly over the last six months trying to get technical problems fixed. First they dropped their Bluetooth connectivity. Then the rechargeable batteries failed to hold a charge. Shortly after the batteries were replaced, the left hearing aid just went completely belly up. After that, the manufacturer replaced both hearing aids with a new "upgraded" version. Those functioned for a couple of months, until the speaker in the left one failed. Just got that replaced last week. It's not like I've test driven a bunch of OTHER hearing aids, of course, but I am inclined to say that Oticon's quality is just unacceptable.

Suitability to Purpose: Even when they're working, they don't really work: Manufacturer's and provider's claims to the contrary notwithstanding, all these devices seem to do is make my world louder; they do nothing to make it clearer. I could have got louder from a $29.95 as-seen-on-TV pocket amplifier. I am not a happy camper.

Oticon Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Oticon is a Denmark-based manufacturer of hearing aids. Founded in 1904 by a man who wanted to help his hearing-impaired wife, Oticon is one of the longest-lived hearing aid companies in the world. The company has American headquarters in New Jersey and has long been at the forefront of hearing and auditory research.

• Product selection: Oticon has a wide selection of over-the-ear, in-the-ear and in-the-canal solutions for people of all ages with mild to severe loss. It also offers a wide selection of styles, including various skin tone shades, trendy colors and more. Children, in particular, will enjoy the color selection for over-the-ear aids and the complimentary sticker pack to personalize their look.

• Streaming sound: Oticon introduced the Oticon Opn hearing aid model in 2016, which connects to the Internet to perform a variety of tasks, including streaming music, movies and telephone calls directly to the hearing aid.

• Tinnitus SoundSupport: Oticon developed a special feature called Tinnitus SoundSupport, for those who suffer from tinnitus. SoundSupport is integrated into the Alta2, Nera2, and Ria2 hearing aid models to provide direct sound therapy support. People with tinnitus can also use the Oticon Tinnitus Sound app for iPhone or Android to choose additional sounds or stream their own music library to their aids.

• IFTTT connectivity: Oticon Opn allows users to program the hearing aids to interact with other smart devices in the home or office using the Oticon ON app. The Opn connects to If This Then That (IFTTT), a website that synchronizes smart technology in the home. You can set your preferences so if you do one thing using a device, something else happens with another device; for example, if you turn your hearing aid on, then your home lights come on and your coffee begins to brew.

• Helpful website: The Oticon website features a customer support page with information on how to clean your hearing aids, replace the dome, operate your aids and fix common problems. You can also download operating manuals, view videos and locate a hearing center near you.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information