2.62/5
Based on 53 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a good hearing aid?

53 Oticon Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My friend bought a set of hearing aids from Oticon and on the aids it is printed 14 and the other one 15. The eye doc told us that meant they were made in 2 different years. Check your hearing aids to see if you have the same problem. Does that mean one is a used hearing aid? I wrote and asked the company for an explanation. The hearing aids are 3 years old and out of warranty.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Got the top of the line 2 years ago and I couldn't be more pleased. Changed my life. I heard birds for the first time in 30 years. They work like they're supposed to. I don't understand all the complaining and whining by people who don't know how to use them properly. Kudos to Oticon for getting it right.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I purchased Oticon Hearing Aids in August of 2017 and have had problems almost immediately. The doors have been replaced 2 times and waiting for 3rd set to arrive. Batteries will not stay charged, last about 8 to 9 hours. Oticon never notifies me of a problem, I call about a problem and tell me that nothing is wrong and that it is my problem. Later I find out there is a real problem with the rechargeable doors! I am disgusted and would like for Oticon to step up and refund my money!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased the Top Of the Line Oticon hearing aid and it is just great. It was expensive but, rechargeable batteries, auto link to iPhone cell phone, it couldn't be better. The competitors are not close in quality, ease of use or features.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Oticon talks the talk but doesn't deliver. In less than a year, I've had to go back to the retailer 6 times to fix problems which included left hearing aid not working (2x), inability to connect to the iPhone and other issues too complicated to describe. The claim that their aids work well in large crowds is simply not true. It was my mistake not to return the product within the first 30 days. This is my 3rd pair of hearing aids in 10 years and by far the worse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have experienced a fading in and out of sound in a noisy indoor/outdoor restaurant/home environment during a conversation, that does not occur when I'm in a quiet room. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their Oticon (Opn 1 PP BTE) hearing aids?

Original review: April 17, 2018

Received these from VA. Had Starkey before and they were fine but they wouldn't service or guarantee them after 4 years. Oticon through VA was, of course, free. They didn't offer any other options. The ear molds are hard plastic, not soft, so they irritate your ear canal to the point you want to leave them out. My left ear had debris taken out by nurses twice. Clumps of what I assume was skin, the size of a small lima bean. Also got otitis media from them. One went dead and I'll have to go back and wait a month for the repair. I'll also get the rubber domes instead of the ear molds. The wax guards tend to pop out easily and once they get wax in the canal, they slide out faster than you can push them in. Poor design.

Original review: April 16, 2018

As the other folks had said my left hearing aid lasts about 2 weeks and then the left one goes out. I use batteries and they eat batteries about every 5 days or less. Went back to the dealer and they will fix them but will not exchange them for the brand I initially went in for which was Starkey. Had them (Starkey) before and was sold on the idea that they were a better brand than Starkey, shame on me for buying junk. Oticon is made in Switzerland and they do not stand behind their product other than the warranty they give you, and you're on your own after that unless you buy extended warranty for the seller here in Canton, Ohio. Then they only cover minor repairs. I wanted to trade them off for Starkey and they said I was past the 90 day return policy.

Walk away from Oticon if they want you to buy them, they are NOT a better hearing aid. In fact I bet these will only last about 5 years or less. I have them back in again 3rd time in 4 months to fix the problem and to be honest unless the factory replaces it for free I am stuck with a piece on junk... Kind of like the YOGO (car) of hearing aids. I live in Canton, Ohio. BEWARE OF OTICON HEARING AIDS, THEY'RE JUNK!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Most reviews from 2017 talk about problem with this manufacturer. Let me assure you - nothing has changed: Oticon does not train their audiologist to help user, they won't help you online or by phone, and the hearing aids only work a couple of weeks before they fail. Don't even consider them.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My husband bought these hearing aids for $4500 from an audiologist four months ago. She apparently was not aware of all of the problems they have been having with their app until it happened on her phone as well. If he loses Wi-Fi service on iPhone, he loses the hearing aids as well. This happens often at very inopportune times. Additionally, they will not stay charged. They have been sent back once already, and are supposedly okay now. The rechargeable batteries have been replaced, but still the best he can get out of them is 4 hours to 6 hours. We are retired, live on a fixed income, and insurance contributes nothing towards their cost. As far as I am concerned this was $4500 down the drain!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I received my Oticon OPN 2 miniRite Digital hearing aids on 09/22/2017. The pair was priced at $5490.00, and financed through Wells Fargo. After 4 days, the left aid started cutting off in the middle of the afternoon. I would charge both aids from 7:30 pm until 7:00 am. I called the clinic and was told to bring them in for possible repair. It started working again properly for about 3 days. I was scheduled to bring them in on 10/03/2017. On 10/02/2017 the right aid cut off at 2:55 pm. At that point I decided to just return the set. On 10/05/2017 I returned the set to the Center for Audiology in Clarksville, Tn. The lady transferred payment back to Wells Fargo. I was told that I was responsible for a $250.00 fitting fee. I paid the $250.00 cash out of pocket to finalize the transaction, although I was told Wells Fargo could bill me for it.

All of the personnel at the Center for Audiology were very professional, and this review in no way reflects badly on them. I firmly believe that Wells Fargo should refuse to finance this type device. It only results in money transferred back and forth. I am a disabled US Army retiree, and the primary care giver for my wife who is disabled from an auto accident, and suffers from severe dementia. I understand that the VA would provide hearing devices, but when I inquired I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get them. I did schedule appointments, but had to cancel due to an ongoing sinus infection. I needed the devices right away, because when my wife needs something, if I am not right beside her, I had trouble hearing her. I inquired about the time to get them from the Center for Audiology, and was told about 1 week, so I proceeded with them, knowing I would be responsible for the cost. I feel that this brand is substandard and inferior.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Ino Pro Mini Rite - 1st purchase of hearing aids. Received original pair Sept. 2013. In July 2015 both aids began to fail. Returned to Oticon for repair within 2 year warranty period and they were quickly replaced with a pair of refurbished aids. In June 2017 the right aid began to fail and has been returned for repair at $200-$250. Oticon needs to spend more resources, which they surely have at their cost, on producing a more durable product. Currently looking for a company that has better made products.

Original review: July 25, 2017

After 35 years of wearing bilateral hearing aids, the Alta was the very best by far. Walked out of the office, with my profound hearing loss, and could hear better than any of my friends. Many people did not even know I wore them. Then, the Opn came out. The hearing aid's level of difficulty in adjusting to was worse than ANY I had ever worn since my first aids 35 years ago at age 35. Fortunately, the Alta came out with an upgrade, and I am back in the hearing excellence business. Quit spending time on Bluetooth fluff. Stick to just hearing -- what you do best. We live in the wilderness, and even without using Bluetooth, have to recharge my iPhone twice each day. Electronic gizmos do not impress me in the least. I just want to hear, and not play with the aids to adjust them constantly as was necessary with the Opns. My research for the future may not even include Oticon in my choices, unless you stick with the Alta-type line.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I bought a pair of Chili Sp7 hearing aids few years ago and I have sent them away for services within the first year of purchase via audiologist. After the services, I found the sound quality in my hearing aids had significantly reduced. Audiologist tried telling me that it could be the changes to my hearing etc. It has not changed after my last hearing test. I am never going back to Oticon or possibly change the audiologist.

Original review: April 19, 2017

My new Oticon hearing aids are unbelievable. I had an 4 year old set from another manufacturer that were fine when new but wore out. I did a lot of research before purchasing my new hearing aids and went to Total Hearing in North Dallas as they had a variety of aids to try out. My new ones work with my iPhone and I can replace my batteries when necessary and that is what I wanted. I am 84 years old and these hearing aids have really pleased me. They are comfortable and it is like I have no hearing problem.

Original review: March 15, 2017

Opticon Ria 2 Pro - Got them about a week ago. Specialist that fitted them did a great job. The sound is fine. Went back to see him this AM and no adjustments were required. He told me to come in again in 3 weeks to make sure everything is fine.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Oticon Alta is the fourth hearing aid brand that I have used. It is the only one that comes apart, leaving the earbud in my ears, again & again. I've had to go to a doctor to have it removed 3X. Other times I've been able to get it out myself. It can be quite painful and is very annoying.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I recently started wearing my third set of hearing aids - the Oticon Alta's. The sound is great if it works properly, unfortunately they constantly go in for repairs and adjusting which seems to be every 3 months. For such expensive hearing aids they do not seem to be durable as I am more cautious as to what I do with them, than when I was a little boy playing sports and such. The staff at NexGen I can't say I have been impressed as they all told me different things as what they can and cannot do, pricing, etc. However the one lady I ended up dealing with was very good but I cannot justify the price of these hearing aids. I will most likely go back to the Phonaks as they have done very well for me for a long time.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

New to hearing aids. After discussing options, I wanted one that did not require a separate remote and did not need to be fitted to my ear. There were three options and the audiologist recommended the Oticon Opn. I have been delighted. They are easy to put on and greatly enhance my hearing in ALL directions. I have used 3 of the four presets for normal hearing, restaurants, and music. While I have no experience with other hearing aids I am delighted with these and would highly recommend them. This is a new model that has not been out for long. It has sound sensing capabilities to adjust to the sound situation.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I find that these hearing aids sound good. Problem is the sound does not last. I sent the left aid away to get fixed 3 months ago and it stopped now again. This aid was sent away 3 months prior to this for the same thing. This seems to be the same as the last set. I took the chance that over a five year time span they would have solved the issue. Clearly they have not. Will my next set this year be Oticon? I see no reason to stay with them. Sad that these companies can get away with poor quality. Was told that they had extra coatings on the wiring for moisture. That clearly was a lie. Of course my audiologist tries to say "oh your hearing has changed." Well that is and was a put off. Is moisture the problem? I believe so.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I recently purchased my third pair of these hearing aids after recommendation from my audiologist. I should of read the reviews because they do not seem to be very good in comparison with some others and I just thought that all of the high end aids were the same. The first two pair were at least fairly hardy while this pair is downright flimsy. Wires are much thinner they say to make them less noticeable. I am not as vain as I am hard of hearing. I have profound loss. Within a couple of months after purchase I had already had the wires pull out of the units and when replaced soon still had total failure in one while the other keeps turning itself up.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

2014 I received an ad in the mail from Total Hearing Care for a special for $750 they were featuring. Made an appt and was told that the advertised aids were not good for my situation since my hearing needed the $1500/ea aids in order to help me. Found out later he worked for Oticon, that should have been my first clue. From day one I had problems and made many appt. for adjustments. The individual I saw was at the Watchung, NJ office. Next call I found out the office was not open to see patients since they didn't have anyone to cover. I was not happy and they directed me to Dunellen, NJ office after many calls.

The audiologist (if that's what he was) there told me I was not given the correct information on how to use the aids and also changed my program and accessories.

Next time I needed assistance I called Dunellen and found out NO ONE WAS THERE EITHER... he left for another company. They said a temp would be in every other Saturday which did not work for me and directed me BACK to Watchung, NJ. That's when I met Jenny (who was wonderful) who helped but I was still having issues. Then she left to be closer to her home but is still with Total Hearing. They are lucky she remained, she is an asset to the company. Now my aids are turning off and chiming several times a day and no one is in the office, again, until they took Ryan from Westfield to be there twice a week. I was having terrible issues... returned and replaced left earpiece, then right earpiece started in... that was replaced... after many many visits they decided to replace the two units and they were reluctant to do it!!! I was told my "folder" had a VIRUS.

Meantime Ryan was nice enough to give me a temp replacement which was more like an amplifier but wore them until they had to be returned and loaned me another type of unit which were so much better but they had to be returned... finally the company, after going back and forth with Ryan for many months decided to replace my aids.

They are no better than the first loaner. AMPLIFY everything. According to the replacement model they were the same as my original but an upgrade. I had NO CHOICE but to settle. I checked price one day and saw they are $1000 which is less than I originally paid and was told they are worth $5000. I called Ryan and expressed my unhappiness and he said his hands are tied. He once gave me the name and number of an individual that oversees (I think) problems. I called and she promised to call me back within 24 hours that was couple months ago.

Now that I'm expressing my dissatisfaction once again she actually called me after all this time and wants me to be checked out by a licensed doctor an audiologist in Dunellen... WHY is my question??? And she wants to be present. I am totally disgusted and unhappy. She thinks this doctor is going to tell me if I can hear properly. I can hear just at the highest pitch that it hurts my ears and I'm always adjusting the aids and still saying "what" most of the time... resorting to lip reading.

Was also told I DID NOT see the Rio2 Pro for $1000. I'm so angry at myself for not being able to prove it. Now I'm a liar according to her! I know what I feel and hear now she appears and is going to TELL ME different!! Nice company! I DO NOT want to deal with Total Hearing any longer or Oticon for that matter since neither one was interested in my problem solving... just pushed aside... seems NO ONE had an answer. All I want now is a REFUND and was told that's not possible (a common phase with them).

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

As a senior citizen, I purchased the Oticon hearing aids (over the ear) at price of $6,200.00. In less than 60 days their return policy did not accommodate my situation. My dog chewed one of the hearing aids unfortunately. I felt they would replace it at no cost at the high price of purchase. NO. You have to pay for repairs at $300. I decided that their service policy was unacceptable & wanted a refund. (I had a back-up OTE aids from Costco.) The Oticon Co will only refund

$3,000 for the return of one hearing aid. I will return the one aid & will have a loss of $3,000 in less than 40 days. I purchased these due to iPhone compatibility. Not worth it. Also batteries run down quickly. Warning other Sr citizens - poor service & too expensive. I was willing as it was just a trial for me.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

Previously had a Widex Unique that just didn't make the cut. It was uncomfortable wearing as the cups around the speaker caused itching. Also, the audio quality wasn't that good as it was tinny sounding. Moved on to Oticon Opn and what a difference. Very comfortable fit (I forget that I'm wearing them) and the audio quality is very good. The balance of speech to noise is greatly improved over the Widex. I'm now an Oticon fan and want to give a shout-out to the designers and engineers that made this important device. Great job team! Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

I was thinking for the price ($6500) I would receive the best quality digital hearing aids known to man. I also expect the best electronics, which could be configured to take into account almost any noise I came across. I have moderate hearing loss that is associated with age (66). I can hear fine on my own but I found that in a noisy environment, like a restaurant or a bar, I had trouble hearing those around me and I'd wind up doing some lip reading, which I'm not good at.

With the UltraPro hearing aids, even after 6 visits with the audiologist, I simply can't use them in noisy environments. HVAC wind noise in a bar is amplified to the extent I can't hear anything else. Restaurant noise is almost as bad. Any modest environment like company at home, watching TV, talking with my wife, is great. No problems. However, away from home, riding in a truck, shopping in a mall, sometimes in grocery stores depending on how noisy it is or how loud the music is, the sound quality goes to zero. I can't hear myself talking so I don't know how loud I'm talking. I frequently have people ask me to repeat myself because I'm talking too softly. Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed in these hearing aids. I would not recommend them as I'm better off without them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I am 30 years old, born with moderate to severe hearing loss. When I first wore this [Oticon Dynamo SP4 Super Power BTE] the quality was so poor that I questioned it why my 10 year old phonak sounds better than this even though it not working its full potential. To compare quality of those two hearing aids: My 10 year old phonak would be like listening through a tv with surround sound vs. a $3,500 pair of Oticon listening through speaker phone 5 feet away. THAT is the difference of quality of the sound I am hearing. But I gave the benefit of the doubt because it a different hearing aid. Soon as I drove off I started to dislike it even more. The hearing aids have a program that compress sounds when things gets "too loud" so it starts compressing the volume on and off when there is wind noise while I am trying to enjoy the music off from my car.

I also ordered a streamer to have blue-tooth so I decided to have a go with it. When I stream audio from my phone, it sound quite well, a lot better than I hear around me. So it really needs a better quality microphone to receive the sound better. I had the audiologist tried to mess around with it to reduce the volume compression but the program wont allow it. Would I recommend it? Nope, I was glad the old one was still functioning, wore it until I get ReSound hearing aids, hope it is better than this.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

The Alta2 Pro. First the hearing aids are very expensive, over $6000.00. To have the hearing aids adjusted you MUST visit your audiologists, you cannot adjust them. These hearing aids fit in the ear using a flexible dome that comes in different sizes, so you not only need batteries you need the ear wax replacement filter and domes to keep them working. I cannot keep the hearing aid in the correct position to hear using these domes alone, so a stinger was added to try to keep them in place. I am constantly adjusting the position to hear normal conversation. They pick all noise louder than the voice sound. So if a fan is running the car it will drown out people speaking. This is my second pair of Oticon hearing aids. Would I buy another pair? I would have to check out what is available and do a test drive.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Staff was very helpfull and very courteous. The office was clean and cheerful. I would recommend this place to anyone who needed their service. Staff was very patience with me. I couldnt make up my mind on which product I wanted to go with because there were so many, they all seemed to fit my needs. I never thought I was going to find the right one to fit my needs for my daily life. But now I am able to enjoy my grandkids more, I can hear my music at a decent level without drowning everything else out. The hearing aids I finally chose were small enough to fit my ears without me feeling self conscious. I enjoy life more than one can imagine.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

They are very helpful. Always open to walk you through things. They are even available almost all the time. I have never had any issue getting the help I need with them. It really helps the hearing out. They never sound fuzzy or distant. It always seems clear and pristine. So I love the way it works for us and helps with my mother’s hearing loss. It seems very decent. It had its downside on price though. Seems a bit more expensive than most do. Otherwise, it has a great value. So I say I'm satisfied. It is well made, sturdy, and works. It has never broken or stopped functioning. So I have to say it has rather wonderful quality. It has my family happy. So that is what matters to me.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

The customer service was excellent. They didn't make me wait hours in a waiting room, they were very knowledgeable about the product which I loved. It works better than any other I have tried, definitely top of the line product. Do not buy any other brand than this one. It is the best. It works perfect. The price is a little higher than others in my opinion but you get what you pay for. Please, don't pay less and get something with bad quality. I would highly recommend this brand and only this brand. I have used others and none of them compare. It is not fragile or cheap feeling like others and only costs a little bit more.

Oticon Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Oticon is a Denmark-based manufacturer of hearing aids. Founded in 1904 by a man who wanted to help his hearing-impaired wife, Oticon is one of the longest-lived hearing aid companies in the world. The company has American headquarters in New Jersey and has long been at the forefront of hearing and auditory research.

• Product selection: Oticon has a wide selection of over-the-ear, in-the-ear and in-the-canal solutions for people of all ages with mild to severe loss. It also offers a wide selection of styles, including various skin tone shades, trendy colors and more. Children, in particular, will enjoy the color selection for over-the-ear aids and the complimentary sticker pack to personalize their look.

• Streaming sound: Oticon introduced the Oticon Opn hearing aid model in 2016, which connects to the Internet to perform a variety of tasks, including streaming music, movies and telephone calls directly to the hearing aid.

• Tinnitus SoundSupport: Oticon developed a special feature called Tinnitus SoundSupport, for those who suffer from tinnitus. SoundSupport is integrated into the Alta2, Nera2, and Ria2 hearing aid models to provide direct sound therapy support. People with tinnitus can also use the Oticon Tinnitus Sound app for iPhone or Android to choose additional sounds or stream their own music library to their aids.

• IFTTT connectivity: Oticon Opn allows users to program the hearing aids to interact with other smart devices in the home or office using the Oticon ON app. The Opn connects to If This Then That (IFTTT), a website that synchronizes smart technology in the home. You can set your preferences so if you do one thing using a device, something else happens with another device; for example, if you turn your hearing aid on, then your home lights come on and your coffee begins to brew.

• Helpful website: The Oticon website features a customer support page with information on how to clean your hearing aids, replace the dome, operate your aids and fix common problems. You can also download operating manuals, view videos and locate a hearing center near you.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information