2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.36/5

Oticon hearing aids come in several innovative models with many available add-ons. The company’s technological features, such as the OpenSound Optimizer and OpenSound Navigator, help eliminate whistling and balance sound in ambient environments. Some models offer rechargeable batteries, Bluetooth connectivity and tinnitus relief.

Oticon Hearing Aids Reviews

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I have had the same hearing aids for almost two years. Several times I have jumped in the shower with them in, and a couple of times my right one got pretty wet. So I scramble to get out of the shower, then I pulled out the batteries, grabbed my blow dryer and on warm I dry out the hearing aids. Then the SCARE, do they still work. Well I'm wearing them now LOL. I wear mine sometimes 24+ hours due to my sleeping patterns, and I'm surprisingly happy with the battery life, for as many hours that I wear them.

Now with the Oticon App, and the difference between the Android App and the Apple IOS. If you have an Apple iPhone, you can use the iPhone for phone calls without having to purchase a little/big obnoxious black box to clip to your shirt for $200. I don't know about the IOS App, but I do know my android Oticon Event log will show, let's say that I connect at 7AM, it will show, "Hearing Aid Connected" 2, 3, 4 times. It also loses connection, and when I open the Oticon App, it has to connect/reconnect which skews the Event log as well as the screen that shows you how many hours for the, Day, Week, and month. So you have no idea, well you just don't. I wrote a review on the Google Play Store, which was pointless, since I saw no replies from the programmers. I did email the contact listed a few months ago, stating what I have said here. Obviously fell on deaf ears.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I am a professional Spanish interpreter; hearing is crucial. My audiologist recommended them because of her experience with them and the fact that I can link my iPhone to them through bluetooth. I have had them for nearly two years with no problems. The difference in hearing is amazing. The first several days I walked around with my mouth open at the things I could hear. There is a lot of sound out there.

Bluetooth connectivity is a very useful tool. With an app on my phone, I can adjust the volume level up and down and turn them off when necessary depending on conditions. The app is a bit slow to make the connection, 30-45 seconds, but I recommend using it. There is an iPhone setting that allows music from the phone to play through the OPN 2's I didn't like it because because at my setting, the hearing aids emphasize high pitched sounds. That resulted in tinny sounding music. The results are much better when music comes through speakers or a good sound system.

They are easy to use and care for. Routine hygiene and an occasional wiping is about all they require. Every three months or so I replace the domes and wax guards. Early models had reliability issues according to reviews that I've read. I've had none in two years. They work as advertised. Battery life is good. With batteries supplied by my audiologist and Amazon Basics, I get about 4 days. I recently started using Rayovac batteries and am getting 6-7 days. If appearance is a concern, my friends did not know that I was using hearing aids until I showed them. Based on my experience with the OPN 2's, they are a fine choice. I would suggest looking to see if you can get them through some state assistance program such as workers comp. The discount may be huge even if you have an out of pocket.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Constant white noise, made me feel on edge and so relaxing when I took them off at night. The battery door broke after 4 months and I never got them replaced. Worst $4000 investment. This brand was purchased through Cleveland Clinic.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

For a $5500 purchase it just gives me fits, just fine talking one or two to one but any crowd is tough and a noisy background like restaurants or bars forget it. Now let's talk about bluetooth or lack thereof, spotty to say the least loses connection a lot and on restart you may have to do it many times before it finally works. I live in a hot environment with a lot of ceiling fans and a/c noise. There has to be a better choice.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

OPN 1 mini rte is full on crap. Do not buy! $6k of crap. These things are $6000 of crap. The Bluetooth function is spotty at best. I need them, but I would never. Ever. Recommend these expensive prices of crap. iPhone earbuds are much better. These things should be avoided at all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oticon Hearing Aids?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

So here's my Oticon hearing aid review, after approximately six months of use: Price: Over $7500. Technical dependability: Very Poor. I've been back and forth to the audiologist's office repeatedly over the last six months trying to get technical problems fixed. First they dropped their Bluetooth connectivity. Then the rechargeable batteries failed to hold a charge. Shortly after the batteries were replaced, the left hearing aid just went completely belly up. After that, the manufacturer replaced both hearing aids with a new "upgraded" version. Those functioned for a couple of months, until the speaker in the left one failed. Just got that replaced last week. It's not like I've test driven a bunch of OTHER hearing aids, of course, but I am inclined to say that Oticon's quality is just unacceptable.

Suitability to Purpose: Even when they're working, they don't really work: Manufacturer's and provider's claims to the contrary notwithstanding, all these devices seem to do is make my world louder; they do nothing to make it clearer. I could have got louder from a $29.95 as-seen-on-TV pocket amplifier. I am not a happy camper.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have a pair of Oticon Opn1 miniRITE. I have been using them for just over a year, they are not as good as Oticon's very slick advertising claims them to be, they are a good sound amplifier but not much else. As for picking out voices in a room full of people is nonsense. There should be some kind of official body to fully test their claims before they are allowed to make them. When you are spending nearly £3,500 on a couple of these aids you want to be sure the company claims are correct.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Have had mine over a year. Nothing but problems! They were sent back twice and came back with the same problem. A lot of background noise and a echo problem. Would not recommend this product. Audiologist has even call the company..so I going back Again.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I get my hearing aids through the VA. I had been getting Phonak for the past few years but the last time they gave me Oticon. Possibly because they were cheaper. They have been returned for repairs at least three times in the past year. One of the times one of them sounded like it had a cracked speaker. When they came back the problem hadn't been fixed. Then the Bluetooth stopped working so they went back to the VA for repairs. When I got them back I was told they had been replaced. The connect clip would only connect to one ear. Fortunately the VA had another on hand that would connect to both ears.

I went home thinking they will finally work. Unfortunately, while the connect clip will control both aids it will only connect the Bluetooth to one of them. I really wish the VA had a contract with Costco because theirs work great. That's where my wife bought hers. So they'll go back to the VA and hopefully they can find someone to fix them. If I had a choice Oticon would NOT be what I would choose. And I would not recommend them to anyone. I have been wearing hearing aids for well over 20 years and these are the worst I have ever had.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I’ve had my hearing aid since January 2019 and it has never worked properly. It continually disconnects and I have to change the batteries every two days. It was sent back to the manufacture by the VA who allegedly rebuilt them with no noticeable improvement. My contact at the VA thought the problem may be moisture and has provided two different mechanisms to keep them dry but these have afforded no change. I would strongly suggest not purchasing this product.

Oticon Hearing Aids Company Information