1.09/5

130 Wells Fargo Student Loans Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 23, 2019

I initiated a call for a parent plus loan so I could pay for my daughter's college tuition in 2013 since Wells Fargo and I had a long banking "relationship" such as paying off a mortgage. The representative said she needed my daughter's information to confirm she indeed was attending college. Somehow her name appear on the loan. Mind you this is a 19 year old child, yes a teenager right of high school with no job!! I began to pay what I thought was a parent plus loan that started at 8.9% interest but now is at 10.99%. However, if you pay before the bill is issued the payment is not credited for that month so you have to make another payment or you assess a late fee. Yes more interest charged.

Three weeks ago, I decided to refinance the loan with Navy Federal at 6.8% but came to find out I am a cosigner and could not refinance it so I reached out to Wells Fargo for answers about me being a cosigner. The calls escalated to Executive Officer Catherine **. Research/Remediation Analyst who said would look into the issue. Two weeks later she tells me the loan was a Collegiate loan and my daughter was the primary borrower but we are both responsible, therefore, she can not help me refinance with Navy Federal. Parents be aware of Wells Fargo's student loans. They will confuse you with their wording and fraudulently obtain loans from your children like mine. My daughter now has a debt to Wells Fargo of over 100K.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I had a horrible time working with Wells Fargo Education Financial Services. I wish I never got a student loan from them. I do not even understand why I had to get a student loan with WF. One year (1998) they filled in a gap of $4011 for me at the schools suggestion. I just got done paying this loan off in 2019. I paid a lot of interest. They still put a derogatory mark on my report under dubious circumstances. I am only writing this to warn others. Do not work with them if you have an alternative. Wells Fargo is not a good bank. I was tempted to refinance a mortgage with them and I am happy I did not. Problem bank.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I was laid off and couldn’t pay the full amount in my loans. Wells Fargo refused to work with me. I was forced to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy to protect me from Wells Fargo. This is a predatory lender that should be brought to justice.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I do not recommend Wells Fargo Student Loans (Private Loan) to anyone out there looking. Parents who co-sign for a private loan with this bank beware of what you're about to get yourself into. We received a notice 3 month later after the student defaulted. Once we were notified we began to make payments what we could afford. The loan has double... We are retired for the most part our income is fixed...

The student, being the primary holder of this student loan failed to provide Wells Fargo with the personal information to apply for a modification to lower payment, which he failed to do. Sadly, we had to come out of retirement. Get part-time jobs to pay this loan. The student has not paid one penny on this loan at all... The bank is consistently harassing us to pay $700.00 a month. We ask for a modification yet denied because the student is the primary borrower. He calls the shots... What the HECK!!! keep in mind he has not paid a penny as state earlier on this loan and as far as we are concern he is a ghost, haven't seen or heard from him in 3 years to date. The bank tell us last week they did and he doesn't have the money to contact the "Co-signers." SMH.

We have tried every possible option for help with lowering the monthly payment on this student loan. We can't because now we make too much money because we went back to work, we owe IRS, and State and Wells Fargo... Wells Fargo denying us that don’t make any logical sense when we want to pay... We want to refinance, but Wells Fargo has destroy our credit for the student nonchalant attitude because we shut him down from putting us in further debt. We are 850 credit score worthy people over 30 years and this is how we are treated.

We paid off several loans with Wells Fargo. WOW what a slap in the face. We a kick in the butt for co-signing. The sad part we adopted someone else child. Wanted nothing but the best for him. We sent him to a HBC in Greensboro, NC... Well... first year was good dean's list... etc. We always told him make a statistic not be an statistic, and that's what happen. In the meantime we as parents tried to communication with the college, but was not successful even though we were co-signers on this loan, we were shut completely down... (FERB.)

Wells Fargo and the college work hand and hand with each other. Leaving us a co-signers out of the complete picture... They were giving this student large amount of money that he misused... There was nothing we could do... Student was going on cruises, traveling to the southern states regularly lastly not attending classes... And manipulating the student loan refund to use to his likings... That was wrong. Therefore we shut him down financially and because we did, he determined to make us pay in retirement. We have no other choice but take civil actions against him. Please... please parents, beware of what you're doing, and what you're signing. If your child college material let them show you. GOD HELP US.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Our daughter took out a student loan from WF. We would have helped her, but had already done the Parent Plus road. Anyway, WF has been horrible to work with. All my daughter wants to do is lower her monthly payment and they will not work with her. She has never been delinquent, yet they refuse to help her. They will not even allow her to speak to a supervisor until 24-48 hours after the first call. Please, don't ever, ever go to WF for help. This place should be out of business for good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Discussed student loan with WF rep. I had to actually shout at him to listen to me. He was so defensive that I could not even explain my problem. He believed all of the problem was my fault and none belonged to WF. I was a co-signer on a student loan and had been getting what I considered as harassment letters and an e-mail. He was telling me that they had not received necessary info. The other co-signer had talked to numerous people at WF about the same problem. It was obvious to me, at least, that WF branches do not communicate well with other branches. Plus the school had not sent in information needed by WF... even though a certificate of enrollment had been sent to WF. It was one big mess. However, the WF rep could have been less defensive and arrogant and I could have been more tolerate. Anyway I hope there will no future dealing of this nature with WF.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I do not recommend Wells Fargo Student Loans to anyone out there looking. For starters the interest rates are less than ideal. Though I have almost paid off the loan my experience with them has been less than ideal. Their service is terrible- you get tossed around over the phone from department to department every single time you call- what's worse is you get put on hold for an extremely long period of time- and then you have to re-explain your entire situation every single time. Incredibly frustrating. Even after almost a decade of making payments- I have been denied a request to even skip one payment in the past. Keep searching if you are looking.

Original review: July 2, 2018

This company is horrible. I have tried every possible option for help with repayment of my student loans, and keep getting shut down for “reasons” that don’t make any logical sense. I will be refinancing through another company and will NEVER recommend Wells Fargo to anyone for any banking purposes especially student loans. I will also be recommending to USAA that they stop sending military members and their families to Wells Fargo for student loans.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I applied for a student loan, and when I signed the application, apparently I was agreeing to the loan. I decided to go with a different bank, but they sent the money to my university anyway, and I didn't find out until a year later. I had to pay interest ($300) for a loan I didn't want. They are the same company that took advantage of people leading up to the housing bust.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Today I had the distinct displeasure of dealing with Wells Fargo Bank and my advice to all is, stay away. They are unprofessional, discourteous and worse than they ever were. Find another bank and don't look back. They are completely clueless about procedures and overall banking in general. Stay Away!!!

Wells Fargo Student Loans Company Information