Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.01/5

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

This company really is the worst. Their fraud department is laughable. Their flags never go up when people are stealing from my account or using my debit card for their Uber rides, but any time I try to make a large purchase - this time it was $200 - they decline my card and expect me to stand in line and call them to make sure I'm the one spending my money. It seems like Wells Fargo wants to have my card declined whenever they think I'm spending beyond my means, which isn't for them to decide. It's Christmas time. Is a $200 purchase really that outrageous? Will be changing banks as this is the third time this has happened.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Yesterday I deposited a refund tax check from the state of Alabama for $535.25 into my checking account at the drive-thru window. Later when I looked at the receipt, only $400 had been deposited, and $136.25 had been withheld to be deposited the next day. I went back into the bank and asked for the full amount to be deposited. After much discussion and comments by me about the $1 billion in fines given to Wells Fargo on Friday ($4 billion since 2016, and the $1 billion for auto lending & mortgage "bad acts" the highest fine ever for the Trump administration!), they refused to deposit it.

I have been with them for 42 years, and laziness has stopped me until now to get a new bank. Do not use this bank! Years ago they were an excellent bank. They are no longer for any reason, and you are insane if you bank with them. After I finish this, I am on my way to empty out my safe deposit box and begin the process.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Out of 5 calls I got hung up on 3x. Not miss connection. Hung up on because they did not like the fact I would not give them all my personal info over the phone. That's great customer service. Wrote the contact the board of director email service 3x. Never heard back about my complaint but did get a phone call about a survey I did not take about customer service. Actually wrote all of the board of directors 2x and still did not hear back. They care more about a survey than they do the customer. 40+ years with the same account and I get treated like **.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I sent a payment on 11/15/19 and it posted on 12/2/19, so a late fee of $38 was charged. It doesn't take 13 business days to post a payment. I have an excellent payment history with Wells Fargo and they refused to credit. I will cancel all my accounts and move my investment account. What poor customer service they practice.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I decided that I would bank with Wells Fargo and I must say, it has been a horrible experience! I’m in shock at how poorly they are allowed to treat customers. I completed Online application for a checking account. I received a call from a banker to set up an appointment which was very aggressive. When I was late she called three times. I told her from the beginning I didn’t have much time and she insisted on setting up the account. So she puts me through the whole process and then tells me that she can’t deposit my check before the holiday because it was post dated for a few days later. I understand That the check was dated later but why would you waste my time setting up the account when you had the check in front of you the whole time?

OK I told her I was leaving and I was done with them come to find out they took it upon themselves to close the account without my knowledge. Now I go and apply again online, got approved for the account, got the email confirming the account and here we are seven days later. They keep asking for the opening deposit but my problem is I have absolutely no access to this account. They keep telling me I need to go into the branch. I go into a branch and they did absolutely nothing to help me. I then called customer service to get my information on my account who then said I needed to go into a branch to get verified.

I told them I’d already done that three times. All they can say is OK or, "I’m sorry I can’t help you." This is by far the worst customer service I’ve ever dealt with. Extremely dumb informative and just downright lazy liars. They’ll tell you one thing, you go and do it and then they tell you another thing and don’t give you access to your account but they sure are quick to ask for the opening deposit. I would say stay far away from this bank. They are known to be fraudulent, open up fraudulent accounts and lie. All of the qualities you don’t want in a bank that keeps your money. I highly highly highly recommend you don’t go here.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I got a Bob's Furniture credit card from Wells Fargo thinking I can just pay it off like I was told by customer support when I get the money. I transferred all the money that I owed them to pay off the amount but come to find out the charges that are charged take 30 days to process. So there is a credit to my account of 9000 and nothing happens with that money until after 30 days. I tried to have some money transferred back to my account because I got overcharged but I’m not allowed to touch my money that in the account til 30 days from now.

I called their customer service a few time and they assured me they can transfer money back to my account then they said I can’t touch the money I deposited to them. It all makes no sense and they are horrible to deal with. I would tell anyone to stay away from this bank unless you want to deal with **. If I decided to not pay the balance my apr would jump up to 28% which is the worst I’ve ever heard. Such a crappy bank, hopefully they go bankrupted from all the legal payoffs they’ve been doing. What a corrupt bank!!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Wells Fargo is taking me to court over an overdraft fee that I left unpaid from over 10 years ago. Before 2009 I had an account with Wells Fargo. I had just gotten a new job, and was getting paid and decided to take $20 out of my account the same day that the paycheck was getting deposited. I checked to make sure that the balance was there, and later discovered that transaction caused an overdraft fee. I called to dispute the over draft fee, but after speaking to a manager I was told that I shouldn't have been spending Wells Fargo's money. I refused to do any more business with Wells Fargo after that. Today, I woke up to a phone call from the Falcon Group who are acting on behalf of Wells Fargo. I was told that Wells Fargo is now suing me for the amount of $1,400 but are willing to settle out of court for roughly $300. I decided to let them take me to court.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Don’t even want to bother at this point to explain in detail so will make it as clear as possible, I been a customer of WellsFargo since 2006. Have never had a problem conducting business even when Bank was under scrutiny and criticized. I’ve I filed a claim with bank on lost/stolen card and unauthorized charges. Now in my 13 years with them this has only happened before and it wasn’t a problem then to correct the problem. This time after speaking and explaining my issue with this charge repeatedly to 3 different bankers on the phone for a long period of time the Banker came back on the line to inform me that they would NOT BE ABLE issue a credit on my account and I would get further details in the mail in a few days. I don’t want a credit. I want Wells Fargo to help me recover my money.

I believe and trust my money to be safe with the financial institution bank with and back up their own policies to help me resolve my issue and move on with my day. Instead I’m here writing a review on how I hate how I hate to feel I got taken for my money and it’s ok because the Wells Fargo determined that “the card was present at the time of transaction”. I’m like ??? Really.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I tried to organize urgent international online transfers through WF. I found them to be confusing, slow, more expensive and much more difficult to track compared to another service I tried as a backup. I received 4 different time frames for delivery. One quoted 2-5 days. Additionally there is a daily limit that ends up adding expense and delaying the process as I had to space out the deliveries. Every one of the 4 transfers is at the 5 day end of the spectrum. Customer service mis-transfered me several times. They do not listen to the questions being asked; just parrot back stock answers. I get great service at my local branch but dealing with any corporate WF processes is a pain. There are faster, cheaper, more responsive ways to transfer money and WF is too big to care.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I would give zero stars if I could for this institution. Wells Fargo lies and gives no value to their long-term customers nor their business customers. I've been a Wells Fargo personal account and business customer for over 30 years with multiple accounts including mortgages all in good standing. Recently Wells Fargo closed my business credit card that we use for vendors with absolutely no warning or notice. We had this specific account for ~5 1/2 years with zero late payments and excellent credit rating. Recently we decided to pay the account in-full because of a huge payday for the business, and without any warning they shut the account down.

Their customer service reps gave us the run around saying they did a credit inquiry with Experian and it brought back negative information and that we need to contact them. Well, we have Experian's ID protection services and they can not run a query without notifying us prior to and if they tried to run it Experian gives us an instant notification stating that a query was attempted and the name of the institution attempting it. After speaking with our Experian rep they confirmed that there was no inquiry ran by Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo got their payment in full and that's why they closed it. Do not pay your balances in-full because they will close your accounts. Apparently Wells Fargo does not want you to pay your credit cards on time and be responsible with your spending because they won't make any money. Their money is made by keeping you in debt. There are much better banks and credit unions available and we will be moving all our accounts as well as our family's accounts away from Wells. Go to another bank that is more ethical and values you as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I decided to open a new checking account and for whatever reason I chose Wells Fargo. Big mistake on my part. My card has been declined almost every day since opening my account and I have sufficient funds to cover my everyday spending. I was denied an ATM withdrawal after I called in to notify them and increase my limit due to a family emergency that would require me to do so. I don’t drive and on the day I was trying to use my card and withdraw money I went to 3 different ATM’s using an Uber only to be told no at every ATM. It’s infuriating that I paid for 3 rides only to be declined at the next stop.

I called and they had the audacity to say it must have been the merchants. I filed a formal complaint and I am yet to hear back from anyone. I need my money for my rides refunded and my ATM fees assessed as well because this was such a garbage experience due to their crappy service and cards. So done with this bank. Side note, I received alerts and replied that everything was ok with all the charges and card was still blocked.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have been a business client for 10+ years and recently deposited a check from a regular client for an amount that was not unusual. For no reason they put the funds on hold for 10+ days causing me to have to cover my payroll and bills with their other products. I called and they pointed me to the branch. The branch could do nothing for me. This is immoral and ties the hands of small business owners and should be illegal. I am moving all my accounts.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

It recently came to my attention that fake accounts were opened in my name. It took 12 people to resolve a simple a simple issue and over an hour just to get access to my account. Never again. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I would never bank with Wells Fargo again. I have a mortgage with Wells Fargo as well as a credit card. Also, I have a Wells Fargo in the building of my job. This is why when I received an offer to open a checking account with them and receive $400, I thought it was a great time to try them out. The promotion stated that I needed to have direct deposits totaling $3,000/month for 3 consecutive months within the first 150 days of account opening. I received the offer in May and opened the account and changed the direct deposit with my employer. Unfortunately, my employer requires a prenote (meaning the direct deposit change will not become effective until after an entire payroll cycle has been processed).

Due to the prenote and the payroll schedule at my job, my first direct deposit of $1,500 came in June. I had 2 more $1500 direct deposits in July and then $4500 in August. My last direct depot before my maternity leave was August 30th and I'm still on maternity leave. After waiting for months for my bonus, I finally call the bank and I'm told I did not meet the qualifications because although I had $9,000 direct deposited in 3 months, there was $1,500 in June and $4,500 in August and it had to be $3,000 each month. This is so ridiculous. At the end of the day, I had $9,000 deposited within 3 months like the promotion said. The fact that this went all the way up to the executive offices of Wells Fargo and it was still not honored, makes me never ever want to bank with Wells Fargo.

Even more, I would caution anyone else to bank with them either. I'm so happy I didn't go through the hassle of switching over all my finances to them as I intended to. I was disqualified on such a small technicality and the fact that had my maternity leave not started when it did, I would have qualified with one more direct deposit. No one seemed to really care or even consider what I was saying so I will be closing out my account and probably my credit card as well.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I am making auto pay from my bank to Wells Fargo. I had never been late. One time for some reason, my bank skip a payment. I called and the lady said since I had never been late, as courtesy, she would waive the late fee and interest fee. She ended up only waived the late fee. I called again, Wells Fargo refused to waive the interest fee even though I already paid 7k to close off my loan. Very disappointed! I would never have any business with Wells Fargo again.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

We worked for several months putting together a deal. We invested a lot of time plus attorney's fees. We got the loan documents a day before signing and saw that they did not reflect the deal we had negotiated, and I don't mean they were a little different. The document basically gave the bank complete authority to change the loan in any way they wanted to. They then lied to us about what the documents said, which wasn't cool.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I made a payment on a loan and kicked it back stating that I did not have an account with them. I made my payment on the secure web portal. They took payments on my account for the last 8 months on the portal without any problems. I get the statement today with a late fee. I called them to have the fee removed and I get that they cannot talk to me since I am not the primary account holder. They will take your money, add fees for no reason. Stay far away from this bank.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

They advertise the “rewind “ feature. If you acquire insufficient funds fees the day prior to a direct deposit by 9 a.m they will refund the fees. Well unfortunately with a job change I acquired a few fees a few different times. Anyway, they say the account was negative 2 days prior but the nsf fees hit the day before my direct deposit. The rewind feature says it will refund the fees but the rep says I would of had to have a deposit by 9 p.m. the days the fees hit. That is NOT what rewind is!! That is NOT what it states!! That is very misleading and false advertising. I can’t wait till I can get all my money together so I can bank elsewhere. We have been a very long time customer. They just take your money left and right and try to justify. I have a list of issues with this bank but this is the most recent one. Those fees refunded would be such a help! Thieves.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Today 11/21/19 I went to WF bank at 1701 N. Harrison Ave Cary, NC 27513 to deposit a big amount check. Teller ** helped me to deposit. She told me about 5K will be available by 11/25 and rest will be available by 12/3. I asked her the reason for such long hold times. She was trying to explain and a personal banker ** came and stood next to me. He told me they would give back my check and I could leave. I told him that was not the answer to my question on long hold times and it was very rude for him to say so. He said "yes". I am totally upset and disgusted to receive such poor customer service. In addition to the bad reputation the bank has, this is a clear sign to find a better bank.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Very rude and unprofessional. I was told I would be receiving a call back about a complaint and never did they will take money out your account without you knowing and takes their time giving it back. I would not bank with them. I told them I would be banking with someone else and they told me they didn’t care.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I'm going to make this short because it's a huge fiasco. Simply, Wells Fargo allowed a fraudulent transaction happen in our business account. Not your normal online loss, or stealing a card kind of fraud. No. This institution allowed someone with a fake ID with my husband's name on it from a different state (NJ) walk out of one of their branches in North Carolina, with almost 10,000 dollars!!!

Here's the kicker...our accounts are in California where we reside. No red flags. No phone check. And yes they put the money back...they are insured! But then after a pathetic attempt to work with their fraud department, we got a letter that basically said case closed. No further work with the NC police, which they suggest at this point we take it up with them from 3,000 miles away, not even knowing the branch number which they do. They even had the slip that the criminal used for the withdrawal. But oh well..boo hoo. Apparently it's not a big deal anymore since we got the refund.

We want details. We want a conviction. We don't want to be passively told to "have a good day"! Someone is using my husband's name and we are afraid it will happen again, at another Wells Fargo branch where the teller is a complete idiot....or possibly working with the criminal. Your guess is as good as ours. Beware. You're not safe with Wells Fargo.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I have now requested my third replacement debit card! The initial card went to an address I moved from when I specifically took my time and sat in the Florence, SC branch to change the address and request a new card. Temporary card expires and welp no debit card. Now after waiting 3 weeks no card still and if I talk to another SCRIPTED employee, I’ll scream!!! Closing account, my mattress is a much better option!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

For three days I have tried o contact Wells Fargo to schedule travel to make sure I will be able to use my visa. The internet site does not have Colombia listed so I was instructed to call 1800-869 3557. After calling for three days multi times each day. They requested account numbers. After few minutes. "Your was interrupted. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please try later." I have tried other numbers which resulted with the same runaround. I am exhausted from this bs. When I return to the states all accounts will be closed. Terry **

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I needed a check in account for my direct deposit. I opened wells Fargo checking and in the site there was 400 dollar promotion going on. I had to reduce my tax saving deductions to add to 3000 dollar of direct deposit every month. But suddenly my account got closed without any notice. And due to account closure they denied the bonus also. Even though I met all the conditions for the promotion. Also they opened a complaint and made me wait for 2 months and came back with the same answer. It’s just fake promotion and fraudulent bank, I have ever banked with.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I have been banking with WF for 8 years now. They lock my debit card 5-7 times a month. Also, you MUST talk to a rep on the phone or in store to get it unlocked because even though the automated helper says your card is now unlocked, it's really not. I always use my personal desktop attached to an ethernet cord to access my online account, but I always need to go through security steps to access my statements!? If you want to have to jump through hoops to use your debit card and access your statements, this bank is your you!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I went to Wells Fargo to try to get a Secure Card because I am not a permanent resident. When the bank began the process she saw that my data was incorrect and began to tidy up, but she forced me to sign a document that I did not want since I had been watching another gift before. I realized that they made a big mistake on their account. They opened a ** for me as if I was resident and I am non-resident, because I work here only in the seasons. How is bank opens an account for you to consult your documents? Not really knowing if you're American or not? I felt injured, and I don't trust them anymore, because they can very well use all my data to do whatever they want since they don't need documents to prove anything. I am very upset about the situation and intend to change banks soon, because they are not reliable. PGA Boulevard (Gardens Mall) Palm Beach Gardens agency.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

As an employee working at a title company, I deal with Wells Fargo on many transactions. They do not care about your personal information, running up expenses wrapped up in your loan package, are NEVER on time to deliver a closing package, always blame the title company for royal screwing up their clients' loans, and they are an ethics disaster. Would never do business with them. FIND A CREDIT UNION.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My daughter worked for this bank. They are unfair and unethical. Her branch managers were great but as a company in a whole employees were treated awful. The branch my daughter worked at for 5 years closed. Instead of the bank just placing the 6 employees positions at other branches if they wanted to move to another branch. The Human Resources made them apply for jobs st other branches. Even if it was a lateral move. The employees were told they would get severance packages if they chose to leave. They were told 3 or more months ahead of time of the branch closing. My daughter took a different job. The new company hiring her said they would wait for her branch to close before she started so not to leave her branch short handed. She was to begin September 23rd 2019 with her branch closing Sept. 18th.

A month before closing the HR people gave them their exit papers and in it they had to agree to NOT accept employment until after October 18th in order to get severance packages. My daughter could not afford to go a month with no employment being a single mother. They are unethical employers. BTW by Gods Grace and mercy the job my daughter took is paying her 15,000 more than WF paid her so really it all worked out for her. If they had told her she wouldn’t get her severance package at the time the branch closed the other company could have bought her in sooner.

My note to anyone is.... don’t seek employment there. Side note we took a mortgage out with WF before this and that experience was a nightmare as well. I’ve pulled all savings accounts I had with them for my grandchildren (opened for the convenience of her working there) along with credit cards I had with them. Once it make feasible sense to refinance that mortgage that too will be closed.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

BEWARE of FALSE ADVERTISING by WELLS FARGO. In March 2019, unclear about the wording of the offers which stated a "cumulative monthly total" for the direct deposit, I called customer service AND visited a branch location to clarify, providing my planned monthly deposit and the 3 month cumulative total. I was advised in both cases that my amount was correct and therefore set up my account accordingly. I continued to deposit this amount for the required period only to learn at the end of the period that I did not qualify because the "cumulative" amount was actually supposed to be an "each month" amount.

After discussion with customer service, filing a complaint, 2 months of waiting while they researched and REVIEWED THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL CUSTOMER SERVICE PHONE CALLS, I was told that yes, they confirmed the recorded calls showed I had been incorrectly advised by Wells Fargo employees in March, but since I didn't meet their intended requirement, they would not honor the bonus offer. By the way, they also changed the online wording of that offer during that 2 month waiting period. Yes, I have printed documentation of the offer at both points in time. UNBELIEVABLY DISHONEST BANK. Closing my accounts today. Will never do business with Wells Fargo in the future.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I am currently financing my car loan with Wells Fargo Auto, and it has been a pain to have to call customer service to make extra payments. Wells Fargo Auto does not have an online request for making extra payment towards principle, unless you opt for autopay (ALP), or it could ONLY be requested through customer service with a phone representative.

I used to have ALP, but didn't like the fact that I would have to wait until it's due date for the payment to be taken out. I like to make payments as soon as I get paid to get it out of the way. Anyhow, I would have to call customer service monthly to request that any extra payments be put towards principle and not next month's payment. Of course, my request gets processed, but when the payment gets updated online, it's NEVER correct! There's always a payment variance for next month's bill, and I get charged interest in advanced! No! I wanted the extra payments to be applied to principle as requested! It has been a recurring issue having to inconveniently make follow up calls for them to make corrections!

Sometimes my request gets "rejected" because the department handling the payments couldn't understand the representative's notes. Of course, I don't get notified for their mistakes and my request don't get processed timely. I have to make another inconvenient call to find out what the issue is, and have the request reprocessed.

Getting transferred to an Escalation team member is a long hold! It really is a waste of time and I just don't have the time and day to waste any longer. I have attempted several emails to address this issue, but it all goes ignored and I get no response! I don't understand why Wells Fargo Auto cannot add an online request option, instead of having customers call in monthly just to make extra payment requests. It gets screwed up anyway and makes it SO INCONVENIENT!

I also have a mortgage loan with Wells Fargo, and it at least have the online option to make extra payments toward principle, that I dont have to call in every month to make a request for people to screw it up!

Wells Fargo Company Information