3.8/5 (1394 ratings)

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo (NMLS #399801), one of the biggest financial services companies in the country, provides home purchase and refinance loans in all 50 states. You can check rates online and then apply online, over the phone or in person with a local mortgage consultant. Loan options with Wells Fargo include conventional and government-backed loans, as well as jumbo loans and loans for new construction properties. As of the publishing date, Wells Fargo has temporarily suspended applications for home equity lines of credit (HELOCs).

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: July 31, 2020

Wells Fargo so easily charge and take money from your account but if there is mistake or faults by others or themselves their customers have to wait for a week to get back their money, and what is interesting is they never get fixed.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I like WF. The APP is great and I like the alerts the online banking offers. I would recommend others to WELLS Fargo and they have a lot of great benefits. I have been a customer for a few years and wouldn't change it for the world...

Original review: July 31, 2020

The banking part had been good and I’ve avoided their “fees” in checking by having direct deposit. I do NOT like the way they do their savings accounts, they must not realize NOT everyone can keep a daily balance of $300/day, OR put $25/mo OR $1/day in! I’ve had savings accounts at other banks that had ZERO FEES!!! They draw money off our money regardless so WHY charge fees???

Original review: July 31, 2020

I recently had to make a wire transfer for the closing on a home I purchased. I had to physically go into the bank and realized most of the locations were closed and I had to make an appointment in advance at a location that was open. I went to the Wells Fargo location in Anthem and the young lady was wonderful. It required a lot of identification verification and then she called the title company to verify the exact wire info. It went through perfect and was received by the title company within a few minutes. It was a very positive experience at a very difficult time with Covid and the closing of many bank locations.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Been with Wells Fargo since 1982. Applied for a home equity loan one month ago as I need air conditioning - NOT DOING HOME EQUITY LOANS during the Pandemic. Not helpful at all. Went to a credit union - loan is now almost funded. My credit score is over 830 btw. Their fees are unreasonable for checking accounts.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I've been with Wells Fargo since it came to Atlanta. I like the service that I receive and it fits my needs. I have a 365 Amex with Wells Fargo and it pays fairly well in rewards to use it. Though this card has a relationship bonus that I think he changed over the years and is not a much of a benefit as it was when I first opened the card. I like it that the card shows up on online with my bank accounts. But I am considering switching for a bank that will pay a bonus for opening an account. I hate switching everything, but for the payout it will be worth it and other than my credit card, then bank is not really giving me any other benefit. But I've been a customer with them now for probably about 15 yrs, so overall I'm satisfied.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Nice customer service no matter which branch you go to from Phoenix AZ to Dallas Tx. I have used more than 10 locations. Very helpful staff when I call over phone, they go above and beyond to help. I'll definitely recommend this bank.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I like this bank, but last week I needed a statement showing how much I had in my account and my information to prove that the account was mine. The problem was that the statement I could get on the app was not updated and to get one up to date I would have to go to the branch in person. I could not print it at the ATM either. I complained to the manager and he said I could only get at the branch for my own safety, since it had my information on it, or he could mail it to me, but not e-mail it...But the thing is that I could get older ones with all my information through the app, so where is the point of my safety. I just wanted something very simple and they could not help me.

Original review: July 29, 2020

The last time I ordered checks, the order was filled incorrectly. The local staff cleared up the problem quickly, ordered new checks at no charge and voided off the charge for the old checks.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Their customer service representatives are always courteous and willing to help. They are knowledgeable about the subject and always find a solution to the specific problem. Their bankers at the branch are the same. I have never had a problem with Wells Fargo. Has been banking with them for years. Have all my accounts with them, including retirement, personal and business accounts. I even have a teenage checking account with them. They are always willing to work with you especially in times of hardship like now with the pandemic. No complaints.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I’ve never had an issue with Wells Fargo in the 10ish yrs I’ve been with them. Representatives always respectful and quick to fix any unauthorized purchases or unauthorized withdraw from merchants. Getting a replacement card was fast and easy to activate. And while you wait on your card you can withdraw money from the atm cardless. I trust them to always have my back.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Well Fargo waited 13 years to ask me for proof of insurance and industry standard is after 10 years a court order is required. These crooks are sick and need to be put in jail and close them down. This is a planned thing as they kept asking for extensions and waited till everyone was past the 10 year mark. This is 'a Bank you never want to do anything with'. They would try pass a counterfeit bill so they would not get stuck with it.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Wells Fargo is the best bank, they offer many types of account options that’s beneficial to my business without worry, complications or additional banking fees. When conducting business at a branch I’m always addressed by my first name. When interested in a new product being offered they’re readily available to sit down and give me a full explanation of the product.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been banking with them since they took over Wachovia. In all that time I have never had a bounced check I get my social security directly deposited. I have never been late on a credit card payment. I asked for a small loan of 500.00 and they turned me down. Their reason was that I never have had a loan. This shows they have no loyalty to long term customers. I will say this they do have great customer service and if you have direct deposit of government checks there is no fee for your account. I am not sure about other direct deposits. They used to do deposits firsts then debits now they do them differently looks like they do debits first. Which is of course to make money on fees.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been with Wells Fargo since I was 15 years old I opened a checking/savings account and applied for a $700.00 loan that my mother cosigned for me. I was approved in 10 minutes. And paid the $700.00 loan off in 90 days. I am 72 years old now. I like that they are nationwide and you can always find a bank/branch or ATM in every state/city. Great for fast home loan approvals with competitive rates. I don't have a fee with my account. Free counter checks and cashier checks plus no charger for notary public signings. Great company.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been with WF for a decade and I have had multiple accounts. Current have Checking, Savings, Credit, and a 5-figure CD “Time Account” that was set to auto-renew on January 8, 2020. I called them within the 7-day grace period to close this account and transfer the funds to my Savings. Two weeks later I realized that my account was still active. I did not pay it much attention back then and I did not have an urgent need for the cash, but things were different this time around considering the pandemic.

I needed my funds as I had a great investment opportunity and so when I called on July 9th (one day after it auto-renew), again they read me the screen prompt (the usual language when you close an account) and I agreed to it and the rep was aware that I was also screening the conversation on my end. I explained that this was the second time I'm calling and that this time I needed to feel secure because the money was supposed to be transferred to my checking and I made it clear I needed it ASAP so I could transfer to my TD Ameritrade investment account.

Come July 14, I had to call them again. My account was still active, and I could not believe that they had ZERO records/notes/documents of my call. They said it may take another day for my account to close and so I allowed them another 24 hours. This time I had it escalated to the Executive Office in Boise, Idaho and the case manager who took my case said she will review all records of my calls to see what went wrong as I demanded my money ASAP and WF continued to refuse as I lost HUGE GAINS on the stock I was to purchase.

On July 23rd I got a notification that my account was finally closed out. I then contact the case manager and she notified me that it was 10000% an error by Wells Fargo and that someone should've contact me or done something. She listened to all my calls and admit that I did call Wells back in January to close out my account and multiple times in July. She understood my frustration and said that this is what they refer to as a "Banking Error".

This is potentially a huge Class Action claim. I have spoken to a respectable attorney in California for a Class Action claim if others are involved. If it happened to me twice on the same account, 6 months apart, I feel like there could be hundreds, if not thousands of others out there with a similar situation. If you have had similar circumstances, please reach out to me, especially if you have incurred a loss as a result of Wells Fargo’s failure to close out your account after you called and instructed them to do so. Please continue to share your experience and look for additional information for me and this incident on other online forums so we can touch base. I have since only received an apology from the case manager, but they did not attempt to compensate me for my losses that are in the 4-figure range. When I requested a transcript of the case, they said it is only available with a court subpoena.

Original review: July 27, 2020

This bank holds funds in escrow for 7 to 10 days prior to releasing them to your account. For instance if I deposit a check on Monday I can't access the funds until Wednesday of the following week. Waiting for my own money that long is unacceptable in my opinion.

Original review: July 27, 2020

My small corporation has been doing business with Wells for over 20 years. We have been trying to open another checking account for nearly 2 months without success. Whether because of incompetence or lack of motivation they have totally failed in what should be an easy transaction. The positives include their online service, local tellers and some specialty products offered.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Our bank works well to meet all our needs. They have serviced us when we needed a notary without charging a fee. We are always treated at the door and seen very quickly. The drive up ATM is the best convenience.

Original review: July 26, 2020

I have been banking with Wells Fargo Bank for 20 years. I have also had accounts at other banks and credit unions during that time, but none of them have been as satisfying to me as Wells Fargo. The customer service I have received has been consistently good. In both California and Arizona, the Wells Fargo branches are very friendly. They acknowledge you when you enter. They open another teller when the lines are a bit long. I like the automated teller machines at Wells Fargo.

Original review: July 26, 2020

Wells Fargo has good consumer products and does well with customers who have a long history with the bank. They accommodate the consumer and seems like they’re trying to do better to regain the public trust. Honestly, I have no complaints.

Original review: July 25, 2020

This bank is full of fees. Honestly they make money on the money that I put in the bank. There shouldn't be constant fees. There are NO benefits for anything you do. They offer very little help for people trying to strengthen their credit score. So many negatives. There is only one positive. There are many physical locations across the country.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have banked at Wells Fargo since my branch changed over from Wachovia. They have a very easy loan process and really good interest rates. I can get a loan or a line of credit through my phone. They make banking easy. Their app is simple to use and trouble free. I recommend it to everyone.

Original review: July 25, 2020

Long time customer, no issues. I have private banking, so all of our fees are waived. Decent customer service, once you get through voice mail. Branch locations are convenient, and service is very good.

Original review: July 25, 2020

Customer service is friendlier than anywhere else regardless of amount you have in the bank. So this is real personal banking. The bankers help you get money owed to you and provide you with the best accounts and accommodate disabilities.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I just turned down a refinance on my commercial real estate offered by Wells Fargo Bank. The closing documents included a line that says "Bank may change any terms of any part of this Agreement, including payment terms, finance charge, and arbitration provisions at any time." I will not sign anything that is only binding on me, not the place I'm borrowing the money from.

I started this refinance journey the beginning of March, and they didn't produce loan documents until July 19. At the time of presentation they gave me three days to sign and return to them. I guess they figured by rushing the process so much I would not take the time to read the documents. They figured incorrectly. I read as far as the line that says the bank can change any of the agreed upon terms at any time, with no qualifications, like default.

When I found this line I contacted my attorney who asked to speak with their attorney. Their attorney said the bank is not willing to make any changes to their loan documents. They attempted to say the offending sentence refers to another section of the documents regarding defaulting, but that was not stated anywhere and my attorney did not feel that covered the situation. I turned down the refinance and after searching a little for reviews of the bank, I'm glad I did.

Original review: July 20, 2020

This is an absolutely horrendous bank with horrendously incompetent people. Please do not deposit your hard earned money with these incompetent nincompoops!! Incorrect banking Information is constantly given out and hold times are in excess of one hour. These pieces of garbage need to be shut down now !!..Do not deposit your money here!???

Original review: July 20, 2020

We have been Banking with Wells Fargo for over 20 years and the service has gotten from bad to unacceptably bad. Waiting times on the phone exceed over 45 minutes, this is unacceptable. They claim it is due to Covid-19 but its all about saving money and not having enough staff. It's a complete rip off - this is the third time we had problems with Automatic payments that never arrive and your agents are not helpful and pretend not to understand you via Voice over IP and simply hang up the phone. We will transfer all our assets and accounts to another bank with better service.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Tried opening a business account with Wells Fargo. Yes, it was during the pandemic, however it was after branches were all at least partially reopen. I filled out our whole application online, printed out and signed everything they requested, and went to a branch to drop it off as they also requested (although they also said I would be contacted by a banker, which I never was). I also called the branch and got the correct number for setting up an appointment with a banker. I was told when I called the correct number that I didn't need to set up an appointment, that they would submit everything for me, and that I would be contacted. Think that ever happened? Correct. It did not. I emailed them back a couple times and received the, most likely, canned response that they had my application and all my paperwork, that a banker would be contacting me and there was nothing further I needed to do. Okay....

Flash forward FOUR WEEKS... still heard nothing. So I try calling. Same message. "We have everything we need, we will contact you soon. Response times are slower during the pandemic." Completely understandable, but four weeks without even a check in sight? That seems a bit ridiculous. It's not been 6.5 weeks since I filed my application, 6 weeks since I turned in all the necessary signed paperwork. I have still never received one phone call. Clearly caring for small businesses is not a priority for them. Meanwhile, I found a different bank that opened my business checking account in THREE DAYS! Also during the pandemic. Freaking ridiculous.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I have filed a dispute and they have ignored my calls and emails. It has been over 10 days and nothing has been about my dispute and it may seem like it's not a lot of money but it to me when I'm not working now. But since this company picks and chooses what they want to dispute that's fine.

Wells Fargo Company Information