US Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

US Bank currently handles my mortgage. I'm a customer that ALWAYS pay my bills early or on time (before the 1st) and NEVER miss a payment, but US Bank seems to have used their system to where I accrue late charges every month. I changed Mortgage insurances from Geico to Allstate (who was cheaper) which caused my overall Mortgage to lower. I was quoted the new amount by the representative on the phone and sent in that amount before the statement was processed and mailed to me. US Bank told me that because the amount wasn't exactly the same that the representative quoted, that my check was held and suspended because it was a few dollars off from what the printed bill amount would be.

When I mailed another payment in for the next month, US Bank added both checks together to the new printed amount on the statement, used the balance from 2 month checks to put in my principal, charged me a late fee and now makes me late from my month to month payments every month. So now I've gone from paying my mortgage early to trying to beat a $44.51 on the 16th of every month. I've spoken to managers and supervisors and have not had the issue resolved.

I also sent US Bank the insurance refund check from Geico (which was a different amount from my mortgage) and asked that it be put in my escrow so I do not owe, US Bank applied it to my principal instead. I had to call them and have them correct that as well! I feel that this bank put set me up to where they can try to get away with late charges from me every month. I'm talking with my credit union tomorrow to possibly refinance with them. Please do not use US Bank as your lender. I am a very unhappy customer dealing with this headache.

If you can go to any other bank besides US bank I would highly recommend that. I was charged $25.00 for a .30 overdraft. How is that even smart? Then the manager Jeff basically told me it doesn't matter what I'm going through it needs to be paid. Wth! If I could give them negative stars I would. Please go elsewhere for your banking because US Bank are total ripoffs and have the worse customer service. EVER! I'm going back to bank of america.

On December 23, While traveling, I learned the bank had closed my account. Through many calls, all I learned was that in reviewing my acct, they saw (In the word of their representative) "activity that was unusual for this type of account and it lead them to terminate their relationship with me." A bit more than one year earlier, I changed my address. However, they sent the checks from my 3 accounts to the wrong address. Also I have auto deposit for my social security and pension checks and they were sent to non existent account. The estimate of when I will be able to recover my savings and get my pension check is one month. I was told they couldn't tell me what activity on my account lead them to this decision. I need to know how to find out and what I can do about this.

This bank has only one to two people who work on claims nationwide and they say they are located in Kansas, Oberlene Park? The person in charge is a psycho named Don ** who sometimes calls himself Brandon. He has an assistant, a woman who she is basically not in a position to make decisions. This man usually rejects a claim and is a fraud and liar. I had two claims and reported both. Few days after, I called and left a message that I had mistaken and there was only one claim since the other looks good. Now the psycho found a reason to scratch my face. He called and was mean as hell and told me he is denying both claims because if I made a mistake in one, I have likely made a mistake in the other too! I called the non existing customer servicer of US bank who sent me back to the psycho Don **. Finally, I filed a small claim lawsuit and reported the bank to Visa for violations of consumer rights. Please don't let them get away bullying you.

I had pre-authorization charges that needed to be released totaling $1,300. I had conference calls with Card Services and the merchant several times. The merchant releasing all pre-authorizations and still they refused to release the funds back to me. I was first told I had to wait 3-7 days for the funds to be released. 7 days later the merchant and myself called them back and they told the merchant they had to release the funds which they told them they had. US Bank told me on day 10 the funds would release. Day 10 I called back because the funds were still not there. They then told me it would be 20 days. This all started on December 16th. I was attempting to get my kids to me for Christmas which failed since they had all of my money held up.

It is now the day after Christmas and I had to go through Christmas without my boys and still have no money to get them to see me before the holidays are over. I am baffled that any financial organization can do this to people and get away with it. Not to mention they proceeded to hang up on me twice. Yes I was angry and every time I call I get a different story and I am a mother who could not get her children from college home for Christmas. This year more than ever we needed to be together after losing my dad/their grandpa this year.

At the bottom of your site it says "We will investigate your complaint and will correct any error promptly. If we take more than 10 business days to do this, we will credit your account for the amount you think is in error; so that you will have the use of the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation." I am on day 10. I am still arguing back and forth after numerous conference calls with both. I am shocked at the lack of help and empathy for my situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

I am a new homeowner with US Bank. I mailed my payment in and it took them almost 3 weeks to deposit the check. I called to inquire on the delay and they said they didn't receive it. They advised me that if I placed a stop payment on the check it would still be processed and I would be charged a returned check fee. What I found interesting is that the check posted two days later. Of course I was charged the late fee but what irks me most is the ding on my credit. In my line of business I accept payments for my clients and send to US Bank for deposit. There has been several times when I have sent a batch of checks to US Bank only to have half the checks process and the other half process two weeks later. I wish I knew who to call to sue them for this!

I was charged for a service which a banker promised to be free. They cheated me and took my money. When inquired 2 different bankers at the same branch gave me 2 different amounts for the service charges for that particular service. One of them was definitely lying. The staff and the branch manager are not properly trained. When I complained about that, the branch manager promised to waive some part of that charges. But later refused because I lodged a complaint about the charges and the bad service at the branch. He took it personal and he would not waive the fee he promised that he would. He lied to me and he cheated by not keeping his promise.

Funny part is when I complained to the regional office, it goes to the branch manager on whose bad customer service I have the complaint against. He says, "You should have read the laws when you opened an account with our bank that there will be a charge for service". Because the previous Branch Manager and one of the bankers who worked there, were excellent and had excellent customer service skills. I brought in all my family members, contractors and employees to this bank without asking for any referral fee or incentive. Now they treat me like this. Very bad customer service. They lie, they cheat. No one at the bank can be held accountable for their words, actions or service. Stay away from US Bank.

I am not a US Bank customer. I am a homeowner who rents my Missouri property out to a tenant and she (the tenant) banks with US Bank. I live in Arizona so it's already fairly difficult to get paid by her in that regard, but it's even harder when my tenant writes a check to me and the local US Bank branch telling me that the check is non-negotiable and they can't tell me why, due to customer privacy issues. They were rude and treating me as if I were trying to commit fraud, even though all I was doing was trying to collect the money which was owed to me by their customer. They tell me to contact my tenant and have her call them to verify some info (that info I'm unaware of). So I call my tenant and she tells me that not only is there no problem, but that she called the local branch I was at, as well as their 1-800 24 hour customer service number.

She swears there is no issue with her account and advises me to go back the next day to cash the check she wrote me. I insist that I called my tenant (as they instructed me to do) and that she called to speak with someone at the branch and the 1-800 phone number. My tenant even knew the employees names at the local branch, so I'm positive that she called them. The manager then proceeded to get major attitude with me saying "How many times do I have to tell you, this is a non-negotiable check."

I was fairly irate at this point and the situation escalated into verbal warfare. Never in my life have I had to deal with something like this and not even know why it was happening in the first place. Then they won't even fix the problem after their customer calls them to try and remedy the supposed issue. These guys are highly unprofessional and I would recommend to stay away from them at all costs, even as noncustomers. They promote a culture of bad attitude and self serving behavior. By the way, this particular branch was located at 3450 W Bell Rd. Phoenix, AZ 85053.

I am totally disgusted with this so-called "bank." Their on-site atm took $430.00 of my money. It ate the cash, said "machine error," and so I went into the bank. The banker was very nice but told me I was the second person to report this issue in the same morning, and they could file a claim, but then told me I would have to wait for up to 10 business days to get a refund. He explained that they only service it once a week, and the tech is not scheduled to come out until the mid or latter part of next week. He told me that this atm, which was moved from one side of the lot to the other, has always had issues, but was too "costly" to replace.

First of all, if a machine is ripping folks off, replace it, as 80k to a wealthy bank is much less serious than average Americans losing hundreds of dollars. Secondly, if several folks complain THE SAME DAY, a tech should be sent out IMMEDIATELY, or at least the next business day. I called customer service and spoke to Brittany, who was a sweetheart. She transferred me to Serena, who was extremely rude, and said she would call the techs Monday, but said "I'm not gonna call you back for a status update on the tech." Finally, why was no out of order sign on the machine, warning folks not to make transactions? Serena said it is because they have to have a tech verify it's not working.

I guess US bank feels that because there are dishonest folks out there. We are all lying, coming in at the same time saying the machines are ripping us off. So, I guess US bank will let customers spend the next several days making deposits, because no tech will come out until Monday, and then tell the customers they have to wait almost two weeks for refunds! Their customer service is hit & miss. Sometimes you will talk to a great person, but this Serena is horrible. My brakes went out & I spent over $400 for repairs and had to get money out of savings to cover that & bills. This has put me in a terrible situation, and I closed the savings account, & will close the checking after I cancel auto-payments & direct deposit. Worst bank in America.

I am a home owner. I live in Maryland. My mortgage is FHA with a CDA and, sadly it looks like US Bank Home Mortgage is the only bank that services FHA with CD. Less than one year in my loan, I was already having serious issues with this bank. First, their customer service is terrible. But the issue I am writing about is what I suspect to be a practice that another bank, First USA Bank had used before, and which earned them a massive and costly Class Action.

Every time I send my payment days before the 16th, I end up being charged a $40+ late fee. I wrote to the bank about this issue. First USA Bank did this before. I moved to PA in 2001. But the week before I moved, I spent one hour over the phone discussing the issue. I told the rep that I believed they were holding my checks, and only sending them to my bank after the due date, so as to charge me a late fee. I told her that while I may not sue them, I predicted that one day, someone would take them to court. The rep laughed.

However, two to three months after moving to PA to start a new job, I received Class Action letters from a law firm. After reading the main complaint, and although it was late for me to join. I thanked God. The chief indictment was exactly the issue about which I had spent considerable time over the phone discussing with them. They mocked me. I felt vindicated. I am suspecting the same issue with US Bank Home Mortgage. There is what I believe any smart attorney could exploit to nail them down. I will withhold that because I am honestly hoping, hoping that this bank would be sued.

What I do not understand is why the government would allow such a monopolistic situation? I mean why allow a single bank to service FHA loans with CDA? This undermines the core principle of competition. Since they are the only bank (that is why my loan officer told me) they feel licensed to behave like sharks. Imagine the bank taking $40+ from hundreds, if not thousands of homeowners, and imagine such a practice going on for years.

In my most recent communication with them, I warned them against a potential litigation. But that has not deterred them from doing it again. Reading other friends' accounts here almost brought tears out of my eyes. I do sincerely believe that something has to be done. If the government does not act to stop this, then we, the consumers must act.

US Bank has their fees, as well as their overdrafts like any other bank. I have their mid level checking/savings account with direct deposit set up with one secured card. No loans, and never had one. Actually got denied when applied 3 years ago, but credit was much poorer then. I have to say they have been more than fair when I have had legitimate issues. When I have overdrafted I have went in to my main branch, and ALWAYS stay down and spoken with someone. EVERY TIME they have refunded at least 50% of the overdrafts. A very satisfactory point for sure!!!

However; I am annoyed that even when you have an overdraft, and the bank is at fault it does not reflect as such on your banking record, it just shows as a past "refunded overdraft", thus appearing as if I screwed up and they rectified my mishap. This has actually hampered them refunding all of my actual mishap in one scenario due to them not being able to see why I had been refunded previously when I in fact knew it was due to a banking error in which they acknowledged. My advice, if you can do direct deposit, choose Silver checking, and if you have any issues... then don't call! Go into the branch and try the old fashioned route and sit down and work it out! US Bank overall is just another for profit, but they're far from the worst!

I live in suburban Detroit. There are no US Bank branches here. I received a personal check from a US Bank customer in Reno, NV and am trying to verify funds. Normally I could walk into a branch and cash the check. Unable to do this locally. I am told that their customer needs to be on the phone since I could be phishing for info. How crazy is this? I don't like being called a thief. I am told to deposit the check and wait for the funds to clear which is ridiculous. If I outright cash the check and there are insufficient funds, I am charged a fee. How difficult is it to verify funds? Apparently US Bank knows nothing about customer service.

I decided to returned my leased car 6 months early, pay the remaining payments and get a new car. I used the same new car dealer this time as I did less than three year ago to buy the one I was turning in and they FedEx'ed a check to US Bank the next day for the total balance. I then went on to my account on the US Bank website and it showed the payment was applied to my account. Two months later they sent me a bill saying they had not received and I owed them for all the remaining payments plus $136.00 for a tire they said was below their standards.

When I called them they claimed that they just received the payment that day and told me the dealer held my money for 2 months, even though I had evidence to the contrary. Every time I have dealt with the leasing group I have found them to be rude, uncooperative and liars. I would suggest to anyone looking to lease or buy a car they look elsewhere. My new car dealer also stopped dealing with US Bank because they were constantly having these kinds of problems with them. I also tried to find a place on the US Bank website to file a complaint and there is none.

My daughter had been 18 yrs old for one week, she wanted an account and was told US Bank is best for her. She listened and opened up an account there. The US Bank employee offered her overdraft, knowing she was very gullible as an 18 yr old. My daughter said sure, without being told hidden guidelines and rules first. An 11 dollar overdraft turned into 348 dollars in 2 weeks! We tried and tried to work with them and ask for this to be fixed and the store manager would not help her out. This practice if preying on young school kids needs to stop. It is illegal and shows the disparity of this business. We will pay this and close her account, and make sure to tell everyone about their practices.

My mother-in-law has Alzheimers and my husband has power of attorney. For the past 2 and half months we have been trying to get US Bank to return her money so that we can use it to pay her bills. Every time we call we get the runaround. Every time we call we are given a different story. Refund back in July. Was told refund will be sent in 7-10 days. Nothing. Called back. Said it was sent to unclaimed funds. Not true. Next call refund on the way. Another lie. So here it is November 15 and was told last Saturday would be here in 10 days. It's been 10 days and nothing. Have been trying to avoid getting attorney involved because of cost but now we are going to sue for refund plus 3 times that amount because unlawful withholding and also going to get Ohio and Florida's Attorney General involved. One way or another we will get her money back.

I have banked with US Bank for over eight years now. And had nothing but problems the entire time. They are thieves. I deposited my check on a Friday morning and my funds were available to me until Tuesday even though I've been a customer of theirs for over eight years and deposit a check from the same company every other week my funds wouldn't be available to me until Tuesday so I bounced a check. It was $36.00 fee plus a 2.00 fee for even writing the check plus I had to pay a check fee to the person it was made out to. I have lost so much money banking with them and have had numerous problems. My advice to anyone that's looking for a bank. Do not Bank with U.S. Bank. You too will have problems.

My mother banked with a bank in Hugo, MN. They merged with US Bank a while back. Nothing but problems ever since. My mother passed away last winter. We have yet to collect all our inheritance from this bank. They have had her death certificate since we obtained it last winter. We were the beneficiaries on all her accounts. They wanted to charge myself and my 5 siblings fees for taking out her money. I stopped at the Chanhassen location last summer. I was told I'd receive a check in a few weeks. It is now November. No check. I've emailed. No response back. I've left voice mail messages. No calls back. My siblings are also waiting for the rest of my mother's IRA's funds. I highly recommend banking with small local banks or your local credit unions. Stay away from US Bank.

The credit card department is the worst in the industry. I make my payment online every month and they withdrew two times from my account. I have to make phone call to tell them to reverse my payment. I ended up closed this account a month ago and still waiting for annual fee to be refund.

I used the US Bill Pay to pay my rent, it accidentally sent it to US Bank Card Member (I feel like there is a glitch in the system, but I will take the blame). After I found out it was sent to the wrong biller and my account was negative, I called US Bank to see what I can do to fix it. None of their employees seemed to care and they just kept transferring me to departments and people. I at least talked to 10 people between US Bank, US Card member service, recovery broker, and the actual recovery company. I spent about 3 hours of my time getting nowhere. I got extremely frustrated and called US Bank again.

After pleading with the operator to please help me, she put in more effort and gave me a solution. If they had done that in the beginning I would of saved so much time and frustration. Unfortunately, I had to call the next day to dispute the payment. I again was transferred to US Member services and they were not willing to help me. US Card member services cashed my check even though the account is no longer active and is in recovery with a completely different company (to which I have already made arrangements to pay). They tried transferring me to the recovery service which I tried explaining to the operator that it was card member service that cashed my check not the recovery company. They kept repeating the same thing over and over and gave me attitude.

Once I asked to speak to their manager I got more attitude from them and they put me on hold for 20 min. I hung up and called US Bank again and again PLEADED with the operator to help me. She did and finally was transferred to a manager that helped me and explained everything to me. I don't understand if the account is in recovery, how card member service still cashes the check. They are horrible banking institution that purposely make resolving an issue impossible, but are extremely quick to take your money.

The other issue happened when I had to make a couple of big purchases and get my car maintained on the same day. Apparently it exceeded the spending limit. When I went to pick up my car, my card was declined. I called the bank and they said they could not make changes and I would have to wait until the next day for my limit to reset. How are you not able to override such thing, if you have money in your bank account? On top of that, I was going to be left without a car for a day!? What kind of business does that?!

DON'T sign up with US Bank's Credit card services! My husband runs his own business and signed up for a credit card reader. Within a year, he was required to get the new chip card reader and pay about 150.00. It never worked like it was supposed to. He runs a business that requires speed, and the card reader was too slow to keep up. Having customers wait, meant he lost business. When we asked for help, we were basically told that it might be that his smartphone is not the best for the service. My husband was eventually forced to sign up with Square. Square was reasonably priced and most importantly, WORKED. The worst about the experience, was when we cancelled, US Bank refused to pay back the 150.00 for their product that never worked right. Terrible customer relations!

I have a CD with US Bank and it costs me more money in maintenance fees than it pays in interest, so I am paying them to make more money with my money. My CD matured in October and I went to my branch to close the account but was told I must call the main office to close out the CD. I contacted the main office and was told they would send me paperwork to fill out and return so they could send me a check. I received the paperwork, filled it out and returned it two weeks ago but have not heard back from US Bank or received a check. Today I called the main office to inquire about my money and was told they received no paperwork and that I must go to my local branch to get a check. REALLY??? My advice to anybody that reads this is whatever you do, do not give US Bank your money. You can't afford it, and it's not worth the aggravation.

US Bank is unethical and careless in its practices. I knew from the beginning I had made a mistake. 6 years ago I applied for a cc with USB. They accepted me and I soon found out they were giving me a balance on pay with a high schooler. It was $500. All my other credit cards are at $5k+. I was shocked at the low balance so I did some research and was told by others the balance would go up quickly. 6 years later I am only at $1k. This card rarely gets used.

I then find that I have a 60-day late payment from USB on my credit report. I have a flawless report otherwise. It makes no sense as to why this would happen. I am positive I paid this card in full. I contacted them and I received a robotic response of how the records show true to them. In fear of this happening again, I go online to just pay the card off and cancel it. I put a payment in, submit it, only to find out that this payment did not go through either. It turns out their site is down and has been for months. They allow you to hit submit thinking the payment went through and then they tack on late fees and ruin your credit for 7 years. It is just not worth it. If you absolutely need a card from them. Use it until you can get another card elsewhere and then cancel the USB card as soon as possible. You have been forewarned.

Banking with US Bank has been the worst banking experience I have had and the most costly on my end. They were inaccurate with information causing a lot of financial and personal loss. I have moved on to a reputable credit union and will never look back.

I returned my lease vehicle. Notified the bank of this decision and still at the end of my three year lease they paid the taxes on this vehicle for a fourth year. I have produced evidence that I did not have possession of this vehicle and they continually harass me over this fee and additional fees. When I sent in my check along with cancelled check showing payments not reflected on bill they refused to cash my check as it stated paid in full. I believe the behavior of this institution is bordering on extortion. Beware!

I obtained a US Bank business credit card account with a $20k line of credit. I was told that if I spent $4500 within the first 90 days I would get a bonus reward of $500. I spent the required amount and even called the bank to make sure that I had spent the amount needed within the required time limit. I was told I did and would receive the credit on my June 2016 statement. When the statement arrived I did not see the amount credited. I called and was told that I had spent the required amount and the credit would arrive on my September 2016 statement. Again the statement arrived without the credit. I called a 3rd time and verified the amount had been met.

When I called again I was informed that since 2 items had been returned for a total of $100 dollars that I was short $45 dollars. Unbelievable. Additionally I was told that I made a late payment and that disqualified me for the 0% interest program. I was charged a late fee. I called the bank and proved to them that I did pay on time and the fee was removed. The following month I got an interest charge. When I called I was informed that since I had a late fee I now had to pay interest. I got the late fee removed but was then told that I needed a supervisor to file a request to reinstate me back in the 0% program.

I spoke with the supervisor and was told that she put in a request for me but that it would take a certain amount of business days before it happened. So there is the possibility that I would again be charged. So of course I would have to call again. I have had to call every month on this account. Truthfully this is nothing more than bait and switch, a real ponzi scheme. This bank is a terror. I know all bankers are liars and cheats but these guys go above and beyond.

I have both of my sons as independent, authorized users on my US Bank Visa for use while they are at college. I have had them on the accounts for in excess of 5 years. Both sons attended college away from our primary residential area. One, 8 hours north (but within the same state), the other 15 hours south, (in another state).

Well, my youngest son graduated college in April of this year. He had used the card while traveling between states and in his college state. This August, he was accepted to grad school and left for the East Coast. As he was moving into his apartment, he attempted to use the card at a grocery store, and then Costco, but it was declined. He was on the phone with US Bank for over 50 minutes, to no avail. They continued to tell him that they could not provide him information, despite the fact that he had a card with his name on it, and he was authorized on the account. As a grad student, his funds were quite limited, so this posed a BIG ISSUE!

I was at an event at the time, so could not call immediately. When I finally did call (approximately 8 PM), it took over 45 minutes to speak to a HUMAN. Then I was told the card was cut off because of potential fraud as it was being used out of state. Really. Never had a problem before! Also, why didn't someone text, email, or contact me, to inquire??? Why would they not speak to my son? Why did it take almost 2 hours of calls to get this resolved? I was left with many why's and VERY angry. The Rep I spoke to apologized profusely, and confirmed my son was an authorized user and on the account and should have been able to resolve with his calls. I have had the US Bank Visa for many years. I will not have it for much longer.

By contrast, this week, our Capital One card sent an Email and a text of potential fraudulent activity. I confirmed it WAS fraudulent activity. They had me call the fraud area, a new card was sent to me NEXT BUSINESS MORNING, and it was a pleasant experience. This, despite the fact that $488 in fraud charges were stopped, and $121 in fraud charges were actually put through. The rep assured me those $121 charges would be removed from the bill that day (they were). With very little distinguishing credit cards, customer service is all they have. US Bank needs to step it up.

I have had mortgages with other banks before and this is the first time I have ever been charged an online payment fee for paying on time online. This fee is $5! That is outrageous! There should be no fee for an on time payment. I will never go paperless with them because of this. I don't like mailing checks as I have had mail stolen and been a victim of check fraud, but I refuse to spend an extra $5/month! They have got to change this ridiculous, archaic policy.

My card was cloned while I was on a trip in Mexico. There was a withdrawal in Long Beach while I was on the trip, yet when I reported the fraud I was told that my case was declined. I have proof I was on the trip. I will leave this bank and I hope to warn everybody I can about this poor customer service.

I had a terrible experience with customer service at US Bank!!! I had an auto lease with US Bank for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Every time I call the bank, I am put on hold for excessive wait times. When I speak to a customer service representative, they transfer me multiple times and have difficulty accessing accurate information about my lease. When my lease ended, no Jeep dealer in the Washington DC area would allow me to return my Jeep. I called US Bank multiple times, and they said to keep calling Jeep dealers. Finally I called US Bank in frustration and they agreed to have a company pick up my Jeep. However, the company never arranged to pick up the vehicle. I called US Bank an additional 4 times before the company finally picked up my vehicle.

US Bank then overcharged me at the termination lease. Again, I had to call multiple times to argue the charges. Each time I was put on hold for excessive wait times. Every time, the call representative I spoke to did not have information about my lease and was not able to help me. Very very Terrible Customer Service!!! Avoid US Bank!!!

I am very tired of this bank, we always get charged a FEE for every thing, you charge fees for this, for that!! You guys don't care about your customers. We have come across this every month it seems like. You are very inconsistent with people's accounts and balances. We had a return for 50 bucks and get charged 72 in fees. You guys charge a monthly maintenance fee, we made a change for that. If we don't have money for something DON'T pay for it. Let it decline. What happens you guys pay for it after you were not authorized to do that, and we got charged. You guys seem to take more money than people who put money in. You guys charge 5 dollars for money orders, they should be free. You guys are just money hungry & don't care about your customers. We are gonna be out searching for a new bank.

US Bank Company Profile