Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.64/5

BOTTOM LINE

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

PROS

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

CONS

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Top US Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

US Bank has given myself a reasonable interest rate. I am able to make extra payments without a penalty. Customer service is ready to answer any question I may have, and explains things simply...

When I need to talk to person I can. That's important to me not to have a hard time getting to a live person. The time I needed to talk to a person I did and got the issue resolved... I appreciate the information.

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
    US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
    US Bank savings accounts
    US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
    US Bank certificates of deposit
    US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
    US Bank credit cards
    US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
    US Bank loans
    US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
    US Bank money market account
    The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
    US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
    • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
    • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
    • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
    • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
    US Bank ATM fees
    There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
    US Bank overdraft fee
    US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
    US Bank paper statement fee
    US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
    There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
    US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
    What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
    The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
    How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
    There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
    Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
    US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I never really trusted banks after a CSR working for a large, very well-known bank forged a check and drained my account. It was decades before I broke down and opened a checking account - out of necessity after my mother passed and I came into a little bit of money. I chose US Bank on the recommendation from a family member who had accounts with them for years already. Not only was I pleased with the account options I had to choose from, the customer service support is outstanding. Our CSR went above and beyond my expectations and that my friends is what makes me stay with any company. Personalized customer care from a human being in this digital world we live in is always a relief and comfort to me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My experiences have always been pleasant and satisfying. I have always been pleased with the vert cordiality in which US BANK personnel interacts with people in general. I HAVE great faith in the US Bank during these challenging, uncertain times, and strange times. I EVEN depend on US BANK even more from day to day, I am motivated in feeling more secure and calm because of the loyalty of US BANK CLERKS who are professionally well trained.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

US Bank is a little quirky with their CC I have of theirs. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad experience, though. US Bank lets me choose my rewards every quarter, which is great! I just don’t like the way I have to do it because it’s through another website instead of my regular credit card login account. The choices are split up in an unclear way as well that makes it hard to managed every quarter. I like their online management tool because it’s clear on most of what I need to do on it. However, it is not sleek and sometimes tricky to figure where to I need to go to resolve my concern.

Original review: May 6, 2020

With thousands of small businesses applying for the PPP loan it was great to know that US Bank was working 24/7 to help us out. US Bank - Temecula Parkway Branch, Angie ** was constantly following up with me to ensure all my questions are answered if I had any. Once the Sba approved our loan it took them only two days to finalize our documents and once I signed the paperwork US Bank dispersed the much needed money in our accounts within hours. We are so thankful.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I’ve been banking corporate and private for over 6 years with this awesome bank: US Bank!! Amazing services, the best customer service and I’ve had a lot of money in the past and now that I’m retired on a low fixed income - this bank shows me a touch of humanity as needed in overdrafts. They back out fees constantly wherever they can to help me... and with high balances or low they treat me equally and with respect! Excellent management style - very human... I recommend this bank to everyone. The easiest most efficient latest technology and totally safe! You must become a customer. You will love the experience! Best bank ever!!!!

GF

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Don't imagine you can travel with a US Bank debt card. I just spent hours on the phone trying to get them to let me use my card on a trip. Seriously, 7 phone calls over a couple days and over and over they would tell me that they had cleared the block -- but then it would never work. They finally pretty much admitted that whatever fraud protection block their system was putting up, they couldn't override it. Same thing happened to me last year, but I gave up after a couple calls, thinking it was a problem with the card -- but when I got home, it worked just fine.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I opened checking and savings accounts at US Bank February 1, 2021. It proved to be a harrowing experience. ** was the personal banker who opened my account. She proved to be a busybody. While she was entering my information, I returned a call and Iris was listening to my conversation. Later, after we were done, I told her that it was my understanding that I would get $225.00 immediately. ** told I would not get any money out of my deposit until 5 business days later. I explained that I had given my last $5.00 to a homeless man at the bus terminal and only had $1.75 left. I asked her to please loan me 50 cents. She told me no. It turned out that ** the branch manager told ** that in fact, I did get my $225.00 so that solved that problem.

I had the account exactly one week and then was informed by customer service that there was a restriction on it and to call the branch where I had opened it which was on Randall Road in Elgin, IL. ** had been the one to put the restriction on my account. She pretended she didn't know what was going on and would investigate and call me back. 3 hours later, she called me and told me that based on what she heard me tell my dentist's office while I was on the phone in front of her desk, she was closing the account. Over the next couple of days, people at the 800 number in customer service at US Bank tried to help me, but ** had fixed me good. My account was scheduled to be closed.

Over the next couple of days, horror ensued. I called the branch on Randall. The phone rang and rang and no one answered. Finally, I got ** who didn't want to be bothered. She was another personal banker. She was rude, smug and arrogant. She hung up on me after talking over me. Later, I talked to ** , a teller. While we talking, she ran an adding machine in the background which was exceedingly rude. Later, ** left me a voicemail asking me to call her. When I returned her phone call, she told me that the account was indeed closed and that a cashier's check was being sent UPS Overnight.

I called the Randall Road branch at 4:00 that day to confirm the cashier's check was being sent UPS Overnight. The teller ** answered. She began interrupting me as soon as she heard my voice. I asked her to let me finish and she informed me that she would interrupt as much as she pleased because I was a deadbeat. Then she hung up on me. I have had experiences with banks in the past, but this is my all time WORST. Do yourself a big favor - don't open an account at US Bank unless it's at another branch but definitely not the branch at 815 Randall Road in Elgin.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

My experience with US Bank on 2/01/2021 at 12:17PM at their toll free number--1 800-285-8585. For starters, I was on this call for 51 minutes. I did speak to Customer service Reps at intermittent times, but most of the time was dead air and a recording saying they had a higher than normal amount of calls. Even in this health crises, spending almost an hour on the phone is unacceptable.

My reason for the call was I was having an issue accessing my credit card account online. I wanted to pay my bill online directly through US Bank. I bank with several other banks and I was using another bank's bill pay service to pay online for my US Bank credit card. Somehow, the bill pay was late and I was charged a $39.00 late fee. My call was to help me to log into my US Bank credit card account and put in my other bank's info that I could essentially pay them directly, with no chance of ever being late. When I had attempted to log in, an error code popped up telling me that I needed a PIN number which I didn't have. My goal was to have them reset my log in info that I could begin managing my own account. I have an almost 800 credit score and this was my effort to ensure that I manage my credit in a timely manner.

I ended speaking to three Reps within that 51 minutes with the last one being the most rude and unprofessional online Rep I've spoken to in a while. Her name was Kanesha and I asked her during her loud outburst if the line was recorded. She said yes and calmed down but her rudeness and angry tone was unbelievable and intolerable. The first two Reps were OK as far as customer service was concerned, but not overly polite or enthusiastic about helping me solve a simple issue. At the end of the call, my issue still hadn't been resolved. I went online to find an email address so that I could report Kanesha's bad attitude and unprofessionalism. There was no "contact us" email address on the US Bank website. It's 2021 and for a major US bank to no have an email address is absolutely incredible.

Well, US Bank, this review was written on the exact same day of the phone call I made to your online customer service so you can access the recorded line and listen to the exchange. I doubt I will hear back from them and correct this employee's bad behavior. If they do, I will update this review. Until then, my suggestion is to stay clear of their online customer service number. Many others have reported similar unprofessional employees at their online number. With no way to get in touch with anyone such as their online Supervisors, they probably believe that they can get away with it and not face any consequences.

Update. At around 2 PM, I searched for a US Bank customer service email via my cell phone. I found a feedback tab (not really a customer service email link) that I used to briefly describe my encounter. The reason I said it's not really a customer service email was because they said that they could not respond back to all correspondence. That was confusing and convinced me that it was only minor feedback such as insignificant service issues and not the issue that I encountered.

And after much additional searching, I found that link again, and forwarded most of this review. As stated earlier, that feedback review states that they won't be able to get back in touch with everyone. In all fairness, employees at my local US Bank are great. They are some of the most pleasant and professional bankers around. This review is specifically about the online Customer service reps and their weak, uncaring and sometimes unprofessional attitudes.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

When I opened my checking account with US Bank in December 2012, I was told that if I accepted a US Bank Credit Card, my monthly fees would be waived. I accepted the proposal, and cancelled my other bank cards. Now, eight years later, I received a letter telling me that because my card has been inactive, it was being cancelled. The trouble is, that I was never warned my card was in danger of being closed. My current credit score is 803 out of a possible 850, and the closure of this card is going to wreak havoc with my score, and result in my fees being added to my checking account.

I called the bank, and spent over 90 minutes trying to work out the problem. The customer service representative basically told me that they should have sent me a warning, but their normal procedures were messed up by the Covid pandemic. I asked to speak to a supervisor who basically said "tough luck." I spoke to the supervisor's supervisor, who also said "tough luck" in so many words. The only way I might get them to reconsider would be to write a handwritten letter and send them my financial details (they know what my monthly income is... my checks are deposited directly) and other personal information that I don't want to put in writing.

I have never been treated so poorly or with such disrespect by any financial institution. I plan to move my accounts and cancel all my business with US Bank after the first of the month. I would urge anyone who is considering doing business with US Bank to rethink their decision and find a reputable, consumer friendly bank instead.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Leased a Chrysler 300S AWD in Sept. 2017 for 39 month/49000. The sales rep. suggested I purchase an extended warranty to cover the vehicle after the manufacturer (36 month/36000) warranty expired so I did MOPAR maximum care for $381. Upon returning the vehicle, I found out the warranty was basically useless. US BANK has AUTOVIN do vehicle check in and pricing estimates for repairs. I was completely surprised to see a charge of $965 for a door replacement on my AUTOVIN report, I called and got the original report and photos.

I was astonished to see a chip smaller than a fingernail tip is the reason for DOOR replacement charges. This 'PLASTIC' trim piece is on the top edge between the window and the steel door... I can buy this part OEM for $73 and I watched a Youtube video of it being replaced in less than 8 minutes. So how in the world did they come up with $965 for this??? 863% markup is price gouging to the fullest extent and US BANK is fine with this. My overall experience= POOR from all. NOT buying/leasing a Chrysler (or any FCA) cars again; This was my 4th and last purchase from LaFontaine Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM in Fenton, Michigan; I will never use US BANK for any of my financial needs.

US Bank Company Information