2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (699 ratings)

About US Bank

Pros

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

Cons

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Bottom Line

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

Top US Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

US Bank has given myself a reasonable interest rate. I am able to make extra payments without a penalty. Customer service is ready to answer any question I may have, and explains ...

Verified

When I need to talk to person I can. That's important to me not to have a hard time getting to a live person. The time I needed to talk to a person I did and got the issue resolve...

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
US Bank savings accounts
US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
US Bank certificates of deposit
US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
US Bank credit cards
US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
US Bank loans
US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
US Bank money market account
The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
  • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
  • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
  • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
  • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
US Bank ATM fees
There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
US Bank overdraft fee
US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
US Bank paper statement fee
US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I started a new account with a US Bank branch several weeks ago. In attempting to add a deposit via a check from another bank, where I have been well-established for years, I was told there was a "fraud-alert" or some such. I had been standing in line for 25 minutes already to a single teller with line behind me. I was then told in order to deposit my money I needed copy of driver's license, car registration, and social security card. I needed to go outside into the hot sun to get my car registration then come back and be ignored as I waited next to the line.

Finally I got some attention and provided them with 2 of the items, but did not have a social security card, only a medicare card, from which it would take a simple calculation I MUST have social security via this card. But no. I was not validated with sufficient ID because I did not have the card, long ago no doubt in tatters. I then cancelled the account and withdrew my money. I was held up at least an hour by all this folderol. Note that there was no such problem in starting the account in the first place.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I retired from US Bank. Worked over 20 years for US bank but still do all of my business here. The Branch Manager at Columbia, Tennessee did not follow the check cashing policy when I stopped in. He was highly unprofessional as a Manager & short with me.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

On September 21 2021 I noticed $650.00 missing from my account and saw that Kohl's department store took my $325.40 payment out of my account 3 times that day and I could not believe it. Normally I would have gotten a notification or call about multiple charges like this but nothing. I went into my local branch and the 22nd and a dispute was filed the 23rd. I had already talked with Kohl's. They admitted mistake. I was told it would take 6 weeks to get a refund from Kohl's. US Bank told me they would have it done in 10 days or less. I was told by a banker I would have the refund in my account on the 7th of October then on the 7th told it would be the 8th. On the 8th was told I "should" have it by the 14th or 15th.

I'm not super happy with this bank. Honestly thinking of switching all my accounts business and personal to a local bank. At least people would remember who I am. The call center for us bank is a joke. My debit card was stolen 9 weeks ago. I have gotten my new card and my stolen card was left active for some reason. I had to lock the card through app myself in hopes I could keep whoever had stolen card from clearing my account.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

My mortgage was recently transferred from the originator to the US Bank. The property taxes were due and I kept calling and sending emails to the US Bank property tax department. However, they were clueless and failed to perform their basic duty of paying on time taxes from my escrow account. Despite calling the and sending a copy of the bill, they kept saying, they were doing “research’ and will send me the ‘results’ after 10 days. The tax remains delinquent despite a large escrow account. Every time I called them they fabricated a new story. DO NOT DEAL WITH THE US BANK EVER. I had the worst experience ever with them. One star is too generous for them but this is the lowest score available.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

We purchased a new car back in 2018. The dealership went thru US Bank. The experience has been a nightmare from the first contact with them. They are not very organized. We moved to another state and called them to change our address. It took an act of congress to get this done. Then they did not list us both on the account and they had to change that. We recently paid off the loan (two years early). They were supposed to send us a letter releasing the lien. They said this would take approximately 10 - 14 working days. We also asked to close our checking account with them (required to get the loan). This would take approximately the same amount of time.

We called them this morning and they could not find our account. We explained that this may be because we paid off the loan and closed both accounts. They finally found it (20 minutes later). They informed us that they sent our loan document to our old address. We asked why and they could not answer that. They also informed us that they never have processed the closing of the other account. They could not explain the reason for this either. We were on the phone for well over an hour. They swear that both errors are corrected and we should receive everything in that same 10 - 14 days. Nothing like starting over. We would not suggest US Bank. They are lost when it comes to customer service.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I just worked with US Bank on securing a mortgage for an investment property. The initial conversation with the loan officer is all good, until you pay the fee and start the process. They are all over you and very attentive. Once you start the application process it's definitely not a good engagement experience. I was securing mortgage for less than $125k and I have a net worth of over $1M. But the whole process was so drawn out only because the person my file was assigned to "Courtney **" was totally inattentive and never shared the information on what's needed on time inspite of multiple voicemails and emails. She made the process of frustrating and painful, that I regret choosing to go with US Bank, to the extent that my closing date is in jeopardy and process started 6 weeks ago.

And I have been submitting all the information they have been requesting right away. My attorney has been calling her and she does not return the calls. I have made sure to warn my friends so they make an informed decision of choosing US Bank for their needs. Absolutely horrendous, non courteous service from US Bank with no real challenges at all in the data.

Original review: July 22, 2021

If I could give US Bank 0 stars I would. In my 48 years of life on this earth, I have never dealt with such a dysfunctional company. I have spent many hours on hold, and have been transferred dozens of times of the last several years of dealing with them. It has been more than two years and tens of thousands of dollars, and my issue is still not resolved. I am constantly promised calls back and never receive any. It has been the worst experience I have ever had with any company. Do NOT use this bank.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Needed to close on our house, moved to a state without a physical branch. First, 3 separate customer service reps told us that we could get an account here at another bank to transfer money. Got that done, called back next day, now being told that they can't do large wire transfers over the phone. Spoke with supervisors to explain how far it would be to travel, etc and everyone was completely unhelpful. Ended up having to travel to another state to transfer money ($500+ in airfare). Would 100% not recommend using when moving out of state. Hopefully they treat other customers unable to physically get to a branch (i.e incapacitated, disabled people) differently because providing an in-branch only service isn't equitable service.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Amazed that after 10 mortgage companies I have dealt with, I find one that is the lowest level of competence in the US. Mortgage experience only so cannot speak for the regular banking but would never deal with them. I have had problems with the insurance and the most horrifying of all is they APPLIED tax bills that did NOT belong to my property!! It is incomprehensible to even grasp that mix up; called and complained; not resolved yet. CS rep said they matched ONLY the parcel number - so every darn county applied a bill against my property ($400K value - $12K tax bill in state of VA? Three bills paid out of my equity account). My account was sold to them but I wish I had choice or was given an option to move my mortgage to someone more competent.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I got my government check direct deposited into my checking account, because U.Mess bank said they would charge a monthly fee, if I did not have direct deposit, kinda like black mail. Well my check was sent July 1st, after 10 pm, and never came to my umess account. So I have to go out of my way, to go there, call them, setup a meeting, and the bottom line is, they have no clue, but think D.B. Cooper, might have it. Their customer relations suck. They all read from the same excuse script, they make wells Fargo look good. Put your money, in your mattress, there will be no overdraft and surcharges.

US Bank Company Information