1.02/5

1395 US Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Been banking with them for a few years now, always getting charged a fee that I'm unaware of, and their fees are very high, you also get told different information from every bank teller that you talk to. Would not recommend.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Having issues getting reimbursed from Insurance money due to water damage on property. So far I have had to pay out close to 4,000 out of pocket with only a 1,000 deductible. They keep giving me the runaround asking for more information. Losing receipts had faxed in. The insuranceclaimcheck.com they want you to use is bs and Doesn't work. I have sent them. Paid in full receipts from the contractor. Even took it in to the local branch where I watched the manager put a copy of it with the check they sent made out to me and the contractor in an overnight envelope to them to have them call me the next week though say my request to gave the contractor removed from payment was denied because it shows I still owe.

I asked how is that I watched the local branch manager send you a copy of the receipts for payments with the last being marked as paid in full. Yes they got it sorry going to be another 5 to 10 days. It is Constant delays with them still no money. It has been over a month since they received the insurance check. Over a week since their inspector came to inspect the work. How does anyone get their homes repaired? I don't know of any contractors willing to wait on a bank for payment especially not US bank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have not banked with this bank for over a decade. The bank charged me $35 for a 12 cent overdraft even though I had deposited cash money the day before. They said the deposit has not registered on my account but the system shows I made it. I made sure I had a $0 balance and closed my account. I got a call yesterday from an attorney claiming to work for US bank and they are claiming that I owed over $300 in overdraft fees on what is still an open account. I told him I have not used that bank for years and I owe them nothing. He then threatened to have me charged with fraud on a financial institution. I told him he could try if he likes and send me a summons. I will get my attorney on it and sue them. Waiting to go to court on this. I am thinking we should all file class action lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

When I retired five years ago, I decided to have my pension checks direct deposited into a new bank account. I wanted a large national bank with actual branches all over the U.S. because I was going to be traveling a lot. I chose US Bank. Big mistake! This bank goes out of its way to illegally delay deposits to put an account into an insufficient funds charge situation. If making a cash deposit, the account will not reflect the deposit and correct balance for a day or two instead of the same day as the cash deposit. The first couple times it happened, I just let it go, thinking I made a mistake. Then it happened again and again, and I caught them charging my account a day or two early on some transactions, again causing several $36.00 overdraft charges.

Calling customer service is always a long wait, and only a supervisor can actually do anything, like waive an incorrect overdraft charge, which they only did once. Now they will not even do that, even if you have overdraft protection on your account. Customer service reps are commonly rude and disrespectful. The CEO was paid $16 million dollars last year. They are closing branches all over now and even if there is a problem, the local branches say to call customer service. This is the worst bank I have ever used and will very soon be a former customer. My recommendation to everyone, is to never use this criminal bank. They should be shut down and the executives sent to prison... There is a reason for that one star rating and so many honest reviews that express very similar dissatisfaction with the rotten US Bank service and thefts of customer's money.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My mortgage was sold to US Bank in 2012 and it’s been like the twilight zone ever since. Started making extra principal payments shortly after which sometimes were applied correctly and sometimes not. When I started paying principal payments that were higher than my mortgage payment AND contacted them to apply all extra to principal they started applying it to next month’s payment instead. Numerous calls, right for a couple months then screwed up again over and over. And of course wouldn’t let me talk to the department that actually applied the money "internal department" (secret screw-up department).

It’s not that hard when I make it very clear what I want done but have to constantly ride herd on them. If US Bank was the only bank left in this country I would put my money in a mattress before I’d use them. And once mortgage done would rather be homeless than let them manage a mortgage. I thought Wells Fargo was bad years ago but no comparison.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

DON'T EVER PUT YOUR MONEY IN THIS BANK. They charged me 7 overdraft fees for very small transactions that should have been denied. That's $252.00!! When I called the 800 number to see why in the world this was happening, they informed me that back in July (mind you it's now October when this suddenly happened) I changed my overdraft settings online --- which I NEVER did. When I explained to them, over and over, that I did not do this, and this must be some sort of mistake, they refused to listen to me.

Mind you I never received a notification that anything had changed on my account. In fact, my card had been denied more than once during the time of July and September, which proves the settings had not been changed. When I tried to explain all of this and ask that these fees be reimbursed, I was told "We are not refunding any of these fees." I got the same response from the actual branch manager in the McHenry, IL location where I actually bank. I am closing my account TODAY. This bank is nothing more than a chain of thieves working in cohorts to rob the average every day hard worker of their earnings. They should be shut down!!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

On 10 10 17 I bought a repo from US bank of which I paid the taxes up in my HUD. Now I'm being sent a bill from a collection agency for US Bank trying to take my house away. I paid cash for this home out of my 401 K and receive retirement just enough to survive and no one will talk to me. They put me through to prove I hold for a hr or so and get cut off. What a racket. Sell you a house then take it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My business account is from US Bank, on September 22, 2018 I could not deposit or withdraw my money, and it was like that for 10 days, I called in and spoke to a manager at Garden Grove CA branch (Inside Vons Valley View), her name is Sonia **, Not only she was not knowledgeable, she was not helpful. She claimed she can not give out the reason until the back office tell her why account was on "hard hold". A day later I called back, ask where is Sonia ** and of course she was busy, when I asked when are they releasing the “hard hold” and what is the reason of the hold and how come no Executive write me about this? The customer rep said they have no knowledge until back office get back to them. I was smoking furious, it is a business account and I have transactions every day, the following day would be my work money direct deposit day.

I asked, "How come the manager never contact me about this hold?" Of Course sonia was not available to talk to me, then I kept calling, went to another branch and they got a hold of her, she stated that she called me but it was a wrong number. I am thinking my number has been recognized every time when I call in about my ATM and how does this manager dialed out the wrong number and not check the record or send me any mails. She stated that they hold my account because of my $23,000 wiring from my escrow back in May 10, 2018 and my withdraw of $10,000 immediately after that for home improvement, I thought this is absurd. Why DIDN'T they write to me immediately after that if they found it as a problem, why did hey waited that long to bring up the issue.

She said she explained to the back office and they will release a week later, here I am a week later the account is still NOT “hard hold” released. There is transaction every day for my business and they do not understand how much money loss my business endure for them to block my account like this. My attorney and I are filing a complaint in Court against the Sonia ** female and US Bank for their noncompliant actions.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

In June 2018, I put a charge on my US Bank Platinum card for $2336.10 thinking we were still in the 0% interest charge period. Later that day, my husband told me we were not still on the 0% rate. They send us courtesy checks all the time, so we called US Bank customer service. They said to write the check and deposit in our non US Bank, then we could pay off the $2636.10. We wrote a check from US Bank for $3000.00. The check amount was supposed to be 3.99% interest. Based on that information, I set up automatic payments from our bank to US Bank. When I realized they were charging me 18% on purchases, (we weren't making purchases) I called customer service. They informed me that my purchases was the $2336.10 and what we paid with the $3000.00 deposit paid off the check from US Bank.

We deposited the $3000.00 check on 06/15/18 into our non US Bank account and sent US Bank a payment of $3000.00. On 06/18/18 they applied it to the check we just wrote. We incurred interest charges of $39.43, $44.15, $44.94. After 55 minutes on the phone with customer service, they agreed the $2336.10 should have been covered by the $3000.00 payment. They said no more interest will be charged on the $2336.10, but they will not refund the incurred interest. Also, they charged $119.00 to use the check, which knew would happen. I asked Tonya CS service, "Who in their right mind would use a check, incur a $119.00 charge, and pay it off in 3 days?" She said it happened all the time.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

STAY FAR AWAY!!! CAUTION!!! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET. I signed up for a 0 interest credit card because I was having a surgery. The day of my surgery, my card was declined. I spent 15 minutes trying to get someone on the phone. Try calling 800 285 8585 and see how long it takes for your call to be answered. Also, I have gone into the branch 2 times to set up autopay for my credit card and keep getting declination letters. It feels like they want to make it hard to set up autopay so they can make money if the payment is not made on time. I feel they should be shut down. DO NOT SET UP ANY ACCOUNTS. FIND ANY OTHER BANK.

US Bank Company Information