3.9/5 (1387 ratings)

About US Bank

Pros

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

Cons

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Bottom Line

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

Top US Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

US Bank has given myself a reasonable interest rate. I am able to make extra payments without a penalty. Customer service is ready to answer any question I may have, and explains ...

Verified

When I need to talk to person I can. That's important to me not to have a hard time getting to a live person. The time I needed to talk to a person I did and got the issue resolve...

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
US Bank savings accounts
US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
US Bank certificates of deposit
US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
US Bank credit cards
US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
US Bank loans
US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
US Bank money market account
The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
  • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
  • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
  • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
  • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
US Bank ATM fees
There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
US Bank overdraft fee
US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
US Bank paper statement fee
US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?

There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?

US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.

What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?

The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.

How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?

There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.

Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?

US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

So my account has been on hold for 2 months. I sent in all the information that they needed. Seems to still doesn't work for some reason. They tell me to go to the website login and send in the information through the website. I can't do that because the account is locked and it won't let me log in which doesn't make any sense. I've been going through the same cycle for too much. I can't take it anymore like I got I got bills to pay. I got medicine I have to take for depression. I can't do nothing because my account is locked. I feel like customer service is no help. It needs to get better. That's what I feel. It needs to get better because I feel like customer service isn't doing a good job of getting to know their customer like they should. I shouldn't have to go through all this trouble just to get my account reactivated and to get my money. Something needs to be fixed.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

The USA banks do not offer trading or cashing in of gold coins, silver coins or ingots at all. They do not offer sales of gold and silver coins or ingots. That is what a bank is supposed to do. They do not offer solid numismatic investments at their bank locations, and with today's technology they can easily give spot prices and follow the markets. They could have a separate bank location for numismatics. They also do not have solid paper currency trading with old currency or different sorts of currency that is rare or otherwise a marketable investment. The banks give low interest rates on savings accounts and CDs, and some take out punitive for not keeping a balance or for mailing statements.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

We've been with U.S. Bank for at least 12 years now and we love it. US BANK helped me with my first account after I turned 18 and got me through school. The Bankers are wonderful and have given me all sorts of insight, from how to invest to spending on a daily basis. Keep up the good work!

Original review: July 27, 2022

Charging me for a fee because a bank that I closed an account with about a week and a half before payment was due tries to send a payment? What the hell? Of course the bank is closed and it is not my fault and my payment was made with my new bank on time! U.S. Bank was like, it's my fault that the bank tried to send a payment that wasn't valid? Customer service suck and they suck! The End!

Original review: July 18, 2022

My Roth IRA was transferred to them by another institution. It has a couple of CDs in it. I get a letter stating they want to charge me $30 a year to be the custodian of my Roth IRA, and “helpfully” offer to deduct the money from my account. Not only do they want $30 a year for doing basically nothing, but dealing with them so as to withdraw the proceeds so as to deposit them with another institution (that doesn’t charge this ridiculous fee) is like undergoing a tooth extraction. Do yourself a favor and avoid these crooks.

Original review: July 16, 2022

The U.S. Bank app doesn't work sometimes. When I called about one of the issues, a customer service person said to just uninstall and reinstall it. Knowing that customer service departments can give messaging as directed by the corporate office, I wonder if the corporate office knows it has problems and doesn't have any intention to make it better and expects its customers to run hobbled, if you will.

Also, I learned that the corporate office tells customer service to not tell customers that a card will close. Thus, a different customer service person falsely told me that my debit card would always work after I asked if it would. That means that when it didn't, I faced a serious problem because the nearest U.S. Bank branch is more than an hour from where I live. If there wasn't a Maverik close enough to where I live so I could fuel my car to travel to a branch, I wouldn’t been able to have made any purchases during a long weekend.

Original review: June 24, 2022

RUN from US Bank! We have had the worst experience ever. The first quote for our auto loan changed when they told us they forgot some "fees". The quote increased by $75/month! Then we said we would put money down to decrease the monthly payment. Then the day before closing they called and said we had to bring them a cashier's check. My husband took off work to get them a cashier's check then the next morning they EMAILED saying they had to delay closing because WE didn't get the check there in enough time and it had to go back to underwriting.

Signed paperwork for auto loan March 21, today it is June 24 and we still do not have the correct title to license our car. The first one came 6 weeks after we closed and they had my husband's name wrong. For some reason they can't seem to figure out how to fix it and get us a corrected title so he can license his truck. Their communication is HORRIBLE!! TERRIBLE customer service. We will NEVER do business with US Bank ever again!

Original review: June 23, 2022

PLEASE READ: I learned today that I am the victim of identity theft that leads back to of an account opened by Kiara ** in October 2019. A suspicious address in Texas appeared on my credit card and Experian tied it back to this card. This address was used to file an official tax return and my entire identity was compromised. After months of back and forth I learned that US Bank Fraud department is there to protect the institution not the customer. Today, they admitted to actually seeing that the address was tied to this credit card. For all the wasted hours I spent over the past few months being transferred to different departments not once did they say they admit it was part of my profile.

US bank is very cautious as to what information they will provide me and it is very apparent that they are aware of a security breach that occurred. Please contact me if you recognize the name Kiara ** who at the time was part of the US bank Branch located at 936 Harlem Ave, Glenview Il, 60025 or if you feel you are a victim of identity theft that may have resulted from an encounter with this person or branch after August 2019.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Would have rated zero stars, but that isn't an option. I finance a motorhome in February. I was never able to get the title sent to New Mexico so I could register the MH. I paid the loan, trying to force US Bank's hand. Still no title. It ultimately took 4.5 months (without being able to register the MH and no license plates). Finally, US Bank requested the title transfer from AZ to NM 30 days ago. AZ and NM (I know, praising Motor Vehicle, right) were very prompt and got me taken care of. I called US Bank this afternoon, since I foolishly assumed that they would send me that title with a lien release. You know about assumptions... Anyway, they are now sending me my title; 3 days processing, in house, and 5 days for postage. Means I have been working on getting the titling cleared up for 6 months!

Original review: June 17, 2022

I've been banking with US Bank for a while now. Definitely not a new customer. I went and deposited a STATE ISSUED check, which was issued from the STATE workers' compensation fund and they decided they were not going to let me have the funds and have placed a ridiculous 14 day hold on my check. They tried to tell me it was because of the amount. Then they told me it was because it's not a known issuer, all of which makes no sense as all the checks I have deposited from $12K to $4.5K were all "new issuers". I've never had a check held before, and need these funds to help with my move which is in less than 7 days. Deposited it on 6/15 and it will not be released until 6/27. I'm moving money from this horrible bank as soon as the funds clear. It actually costs me money to do business with these crooks. Never again.

US Bank Company Information