Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

BOTTOM LINE

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

PROS

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

CONS

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Top US Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

This bank is very reliable. Customer service is great. Online banking tools are fabulous. Whenever I had to call I got answer right away …

Ridiculous wait times on phone each time, no return calls as promised as well as condescending attitude from management. I would not recommend this bank to anyone …

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
    US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
    US Bank savings accounts
    US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
    US Bank certificates of deposit
    US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
    US Bank credit cards
    US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
    US Bank loans
    US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
    US Bank money market account
    The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
    US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
    • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
    • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
    • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
    • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
    US Bank ATM fees
    There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
    US Bank overdraft fee
    US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
    US Bank paper statement fee
    US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
    There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
    US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
    What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
    The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
    How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
    There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
    Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
    US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: May 6, 2020

With thousands of small businesses applying for the PPP loan it was great to know that US Bank was working 24/7 to help us out. US Bank - Temecula Parkway Branch, Angie ** was constantly following up with me to ensure all my questions are answered if I had any. Once the Sba approved our loan it took them only two days to finalize our documents and once I signed the paperwork US Bank dispersed the much needed money in our accounts within hours. We are so thankful.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have used this bank for 15 years. I've never had an account problem. I've had savings, checking, mortgage and car loans with them. They are easy to talk with. You can chat online or call. They have great service. I just wish they were in Texas, as I moved here.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I’ve been banking corporate and private for over 6 years with this awesome bank: US Bank!! Amazing services, the best customer service and I’ve had a lot of money in the past and now that I’m retired on a low fixed income - this bank shows me a touch of humanity as needed in overdrafts. They back out fees constantly wherever they can to help me... and with high balances or low they treat me equally and with respect! Excellent management style - very human... I recommend this bank to everyone. The easiest most efficient latest technology and totally safe! You must become a customer. You will love the experience! Best bank ever!!!!

GF

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I became a customer of this bank by attrition. They took over my previous bank. The transition was very smooth and their customer service reached out to me to assure I was comfortable with the change. My previous bank was a local entity. I was pleasantly surprised to find that US Bank had locations nationwide. This proved very convenient whenever I traveled. Using their online services is easy and, so far, very safe. The customer service reps are very friendly and always helpful when I have to go into the bank to transact business. Though I have very little money, they always make me feel that my business is just as important to them as their corporate customers.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I used a personal banker to help me get the best value! I was working and could not do all the value research so I would email him the vehicle details and he would tell me the real loan value! I went in and bought my car in an hour! The dealership had no idea how to react! Personal relationships are still the best way to go!

Original review: July 2, 2020

Turn and run from these people. They have class action suits against them. They are extremely deceptive. They try to trick you into paying higher interest rates and their systems are not current. They don't show charges on your bill that were made weeks prior then suddenly those charges show on your bill. I had a charge on my account that showed the refund of the item before it showed the charge and the item was purchased over two weeks ago. US Bank claims that's normal. I've never seen a credit card company do that before. The representative and managers come back with snarky, defensive comments to the customer when they are called out on their unethical practices and try to blame the vendors claiming that they aren't asking for the money in a timely manner. Right. If you look up US Bank class action suits, they have class action claims out there against them. Just turn and run. They are unethical.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I don't know where start, internet site is horrible, you just activate the card and then system doesn't allow you to register yourself so you look for help. Contact us with no email, chat option, no phone connection and the page stay on one unresponsive after that. Well, you check, back of the card, phone number and you call, first message is "we have an extremely amount of phone calls, somebody will answer you soon", 1 hour later nobody, still the music. Was morning, called afternoon... same, next day same and so on.

I check the numbers for US BANK and I called, somebody answer and said it's not the appropriate department for debit cards (Reliacard) and she transferred me to square one. Chaos in this bank, don't even try, terrible service. The funny thing is when you apply for the unemployment, they ask you for direct deposit and doesn't matter you have your own bank, they just enroll in this automatic I believe, 2 weeks or so you receive the card with 0 balance. I'm worried about identity stole but I can't cancel this bank ... for the above reason.

Resolution response: June 14, 2020

US Bank did eventually rule in our favor so we are taking no additional action against them.

Original review: June 13, 2020

We have been customers of US Bank since 1987. Their TV and Internet commercials state that they take care of their members first. However, when we needed them most they were not there for us. US Bank took almost 90 days instead of the required 30 to 45 days to resolve a debit card dispute. And, every time we contacted Customer Service we were told something different. I would recommend that you not use US Bank.

Original review: June 9, 2020

This is the second time I’ve been charged an overdraft fee because I was told the mobile app isn’t accurate. I was told I needed to log in a certain way to see what the representative sees. It seems like they're taking advantage of people in there time of need. I have banked with this bank for over 10 years and never had a problem until two months ago.

Original review: May 31, 2020

I just signed up for a new card a few weeks ago and based on my experience so far, I can't recommend US Bank and don't plan to stay with them long. First, the process is incredibly slow - it has been about two weeks since I applied, and ten days since I was approved, and I have still yet to receive my actual card. Furthermore, though they told me my credit score came up over 800, they approved me for the lowest credit limit I have ever been approved for in 25 years of using credit cards.

This happened because instead of using the hard inquiry to substantively review my credit, even at my request, they used an automated system that flagged one misleading indicator (basically, I had transferred credit limits from one card to another after paying down a balance - though still clearly using only 10% of my available credit), and used that rather than my income and 25 years of near perfect credit with no late or missed payments ever to determine what credit line I was worthy of, and told me that they would have to put another hard inquiry on my credit report to have someone review it personally... even though it has been only a few days since their initial inquiry. It was hardly worth the hit on my credit to even open this account.

Lastly, although my purpose in applying for this card was to transfer balances and I provided the transfer information in my initial application, it will likely be a full month before the transfer goes through. I've never experienced such a slow transfer process with any of the many other banks with whom I've had credit cards. For whatever reason, US Bank is telling me they will likely have to mail a check rather than paying the funds electronically to the major bank from which I'm transferring my balance. MAIL! WHY?? It's like their processes are all stuck in the stone ages. I'm already so frustrated with US Bank that I'm looking forward to closing out my (tiny) account with them the minute I pay off the transfer.

US Bank Company Information