2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (734 ratings)

About US Bank

Pros

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

Cons

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Bottom Line

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

Top US Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

US Bank has given myself a reasonable interest rate. I am able to make extra payments without a penalty. Customer service is ready to answer any question I may have, and explains ...

Verified

When I need to talk to person I can. That's important to me not to have a hard time getting to a live person. The time I needed to talk to a person I did and got the issue resolve...

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
US Bank savings accounts
US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
US Bank certificates of deposit
US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
US Bank credit cards
US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
US Bank loans
US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
US Bank money market account
The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
  • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
  • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
  • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
  • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
US Bank ATM fees
There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
US Bank overdraft fee
US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
US Bank paper statement fee
US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: April 29, 2021

Prior to our mortgage being sold we had US Bank. My family owns several homes that were handled by this mortgage company. We thought it was one of the best in the business. It was not their fault of the mortgage departures. US Bank is remarkable in communicating with its customers. I also had great customer service experiences by phone and online. We, yes my family and I were so disappointed when our mortgages got switched and taking away from US Bank. This is a company that is highly prioritized in satisfying their customers mortgage and banking needs.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I never really trusted banks after a CSR working for a large, very well-known bank forged a check and drained my account. It was decades before I broke down and opened a checking account - out of necessity after my mother passed and I came into a little bit of money. I chose US Bank on the recommendation from a family member who had accounts with them for years already. Not only was I pleased with the account options I had to choose from, the customer service support is outstanding. Our CSR went above and beyond my expectations and that my friends is what makes me stay with any company. Personalized customer care from a human being in this digital world we live in is always a relief and comfort to me.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My experiences have always been pleasant and satisfying. I have always been pleased with the vert cordiality in which US BANK personnel interacts with people in general. I HAVE great faith in the US Bank during these challenging, uncertain times, and strange times. I EVEN depend on US BANK even more from day to day, I am motivated in feeling more secure and calm because of the loyalty of US BANK CLERKS who are professionally well trained.

Original review: July 31, 2020

US Bank is a little quirky with their CC I have of theirs. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad experience, though. US Bank lets me choose my rewards every quarter, which is great! I just don’t like the way I have to do it because it’s through another website instead of my regular credit card login account. The choices are split up in an unclear way as well that makes it hard to managed every quarter. I like their online management tool because it’s clear on most of what I need to do on it. However, it is not sleek and sometimes tricky to figure where to I need to go to resolve my concern.

Original review: July 29, 2020

We have been long-time customers of US Bank and they have always given us first-rate, first-class service. Even though we live out of their banking market they are just a phone call away. Once purchased a new car out of state and the dealer called US Bank to see if the check was any good. USB's response was that any check I write is good! Deal closed.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Needed to close on our house, moved to a state without a physical branch. First, 3 separate customer service reps told us that we could get an account here at another bank to transfer money. Got that done, called back next day, now being told that they can't do large wire transfers over the phone. Spoke with supervisors to explain how far it would be to travel, etc and everyone was completely unhelpful. Ended up having to travel to another state to transfer money ($500+ in airfare). Would 100% not recommend using when moving out of state. Hopefully they treat other customers unable to physically get to a branch (i.e incapacitated, disabled people) differently because providing an in-branch only service isn't equitable service.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Amazed that after 10 mortgage companies I have dealt with, I find one that is the lowest level of competence in the US. Mortgage experience only so cannot speak for the regular banking but would never deal with them. I have had problems with the insurance and the most horrifying of all is they APPLIED tax bills that did NOT belong to my property!! It is incomprehensible to even grasp that mix up; called and complained; not resolved yet. CS rep said they matched ONLY the parcel number - so every darn county applied a bill against my property ($400K value - $12K tax bill in state of VA? Three bills paid out of my equity account). My account was sold to them but I wish I had choice or was given an option to move my mortgage to someone more competent.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I got my government check direct deposited into my checking account, because U.Mess bank said they would charge a monthly fee, if I did not have direct deposit, kinda like black mail. Well my check was sent July 1st, after 10 pm, and never came to my umess account. So I have to go out of my way, to go there, call them, setup a meeting, and the bottom line is, they have no clue, but think D.B. Cooper, might have it. Their customer relations suck. They all read from the same excuse script, they make wells Fargo look good. Put your money, in your mattress, there will be no overdraft and surcharges.

Original review: July 5, 2021

First problem is with the credit card. I had closed out a c.c. account with US Bank. I had only a checking account left and I had intended to close that out when I could. I have Social Security and one other small monthly checks coming in to that account, totaling 900 dollars a month. US Bank sent me a new c.c. - which I had never asked for and did not want and I did not use, having not activated that c.c. Now I found that US Bank made some charges on that c.c. for some Youtube movies and ebooks. I know I never gave that c.c. number for payment. I used a debit card for another bank, Santander Bank. The amount was small, about 45 dollars in total. But it appears that US Bank merged that old account, which I had closed, with the new c.c. number which I had never authorized.

This would not be a big issue but for the fact that I was getting ready to close out with US Bank and now they are making charges that will have to be dealt with and I need this to stop. This is dishonest and if it is not against the law it should be. But beyond that - this is the Second Problem - the amount showed by Experian in the credit report they have for me is 211.00. Not 45.00. This is Fraud. Experian had dredged up two old debts - which I am pretty sure are bogus, one appears to be a medical bill, which the Veterans Administration should have paid years ago and has gone to collections. With this new, fictitious debt of 211.00 my credit rating is so bad that I cannot get a credit card with my other bank - Santander Bank.

Original review: July 2, 2021

My truck has been paid off since February and as of today, July 2, I have yet to receive the release. At last word, as of yesterday, it was faxed, emailed and mailed. I still do not have it. Very friendly when I call but does not seem that the work is actually getting done.

US Bank Company Information