Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

BOTTOM LINE

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

PROS

• Money market account options
    • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
    • Free checking for students and seniors

CONS

• High overdraft and transfer fees
    • High requirements on free checking

Top US Bank Reviews

This bank is very reliable. Customer service is great. Online banking tools are fabulous. Whenever I had to call I got answer right away …

Ridiculous wait times on phone each time, no return calls as promised as well as condescending attitude from management. I would not recommend this bank to anyone …

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
        US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
        US Bank savings accounts
        US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
        US Bank certificates of deposit
        US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
        US Bank credit cards
        US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
        US Bank loans
        US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
        US Bank money market account
        The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
        US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
        • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
        • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
        • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
        • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
        US Bank ATM fees
        There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
        US Bank overdraft fee
        US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
        US Bank paper statement fee
        US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
        There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
        What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
        US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
        What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
        The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
        How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
        There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
        Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
        US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I became a customer of this bank by attrition. They took over my previous bank. The transition was very smooth and their customer service reached out to me to assure I was comfortable with the change. My previous bank was a local entity. I was pleasantly surprised to find that US Bank had locations nationwide. This proved very convenient whenever I traveled. Using their online services is easy and, so far, very safe. The customer service reps are very friendly and always helpful when I have to go into the bank to transact business. Though I have very little money, they always make me feel that my business is just as important to them as their corporate customers.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I'm very satisfied, overall, with US Bank associated with its on-line functionality, as well as, the available physical resources, nationwide network of branches & ATMs. Furthermore, US Bank has investment services so I'm able to truly benefit from a one-stop-shopping relationship with US Bank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Have no problem getting on the Website and it is easy to find what you need to see. They are very happy to help you with any issues that come up. Have not had any serious problems to deal with. Have had this bank for a few years.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I used a personal banker to help me get the best value! I was working and could not do all the value research so I would email him the vehicle details and he would tell me the real loan value! I went in and bought my car in an hour! The dealership had no idea how to react! Personal relationships are still the best way to go!

Original review: May 12, 2019

The loan process was the easiest we've ever gone through! We had loan 'assistants' who literally walked us through each step of the process, which was successful! US Bank is very customer friendly and it seems they almost hope for a problem, somewhere, so they can fix it! Bank staff are very friendly and are always willing to take the time to explain certain processes so that customers, like me, understand fully, and we appreciate that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Applied for their credit card because of the sign in offer they had. Spent over $5000.00 the first time and when the bill came they received my payment one day late and they charged $83.60 late fee. So much for "customer service".

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Recent news about US Bank firing a Good Samaritan who helped a customer on Christmas Eve sounds like a very fitting example of the company culture of this organization. Fire the good employees and keep the rest. I fired this bank awhile ago. Somehow they make Wells Fargo and Chase seem tolerable. It would be hard to do worse if they tried. Their rigid rules make little sense and the disregard for the value of time makes it a very poor choice for business banking. Let's face it, time is money - and this bank will waste your time every time you have to deal with them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I represent a client that wanted to have their escrow account waived with US Bank. The bank waived the escrow but wanted to charge of fee over $900 to do so. This client has always had their payments debited automatically so there has never been a late fee. Their loan-to-value ratio is less than 20%, meaning they have over 80% equity in the home. First we were told the state of Iowa required every borrower to have an escrow account - bold face lie since they were obviously willing to waive it for the fee. Then we were told even a manager couldn't waive the fee. This loan was sold to US Bank and there are no fee disclosures indicating this could happen. What a disgrace this bank is!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I did not receive my first car loan invoice. Their Costumer Service representative told me it sometimes happens with new loans and I should just pay the next installment double, which I did. Nevertheless they forwarded a late payment notice to Consumer Reporting Agencies against me. They explained that since I agreed in the small print of the original contract to pay a Monthly fee, even without receiving a 'courtesy invoice' I should have been alert and payed on my own! That is not reasonable.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I just tried to make a mobile paycheck deposit, as I always do, and US Bank would not allow me to make the deposit. After repeating my story to a few people (frustrating) I was told that I could not make a deposit until the next day, as my daughter's account (which is tied to mine) had been low on cash. She deposited her check yesterday. I think it is totally insane that a bank will not let you deposit money in your account because another account is low on cash. How stupid is that? Especially since I already have a lot of money in my account. I just don't understand.

Not sure about US Bank?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

US Bank Company Information