US Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am a home owner. I live in Maryland. My mortgage is FHA with a CDA and, sadly it looks like US Bank Home Mortgage is the only bank that services FHA with CD. Less than one year in my loan, I was already having serious issues with this bank. First, their customer service is terrible. But the issue I am writing about is what I suspect to be a practice that another bank, First USA Bank had used before, and which earned them a massive and costly Class Action.

Every time I send my payment days before the 16th, I end up being charged a $40+ late fee. I wrote to the bank about this issue. First USA Bank did this before. I moved to PA in 2001. But the week before I moved, I spent one hour over the phone discussing the issue. I told the rep that I believed they were holding my checks, and only sending them to my bank after the due date, so as to charge me a late fee. I told her that while I may not sue them, I predicted that one day, someone would take them to court. The rep laughed.

However, two to three months after moving to PA to start a new job, I received Class Action letters from a law firm. After reading the main complaint, and although it was late for me to join. I thanked God. The chief indictment was exactly the issue about which I had spent considerable time over the phone discussing with them. They mocked me. I felt vindicated. I am suspecting the same issue with US Bank Home Mortgage. There is what I believe any smart attorney could exploit to nail them down. I will withhold that because I am honestly hoping, hoping that this bank would be sued.

What I do not understand is why the government would allow such a monopolistic situation? I mean why allow a single bank to service FHA loans with CDA? This undermines the core principle of competition. Since they are the only bank (that is why my loan officer told me) they feel licensed to behave like sharks. Imagine the bank taking $40+ from hundreds, if not thousands of homeowners, and imagine such a practice going on for years.

In my most recent communication with them, I warned them against a potential litigation. But that has not deterred them from doing it again. Reading other friends' accounts here almost brought tears out of my eyes. I do sincerely believe that something has to be done. If the government does not act to stop this, then we, the consumers must act.

US Bank has their fees, as well as their overdrafts like any other bank. I have their mid level checking/savings account with direct deposit set up with one secured card. No loans, and never had one. Actually got denied when applied 3 years ago, but credit was much poorer then. I have to say they have been more than fair when I have had legitimate issues. When I have overdrafted I have went in to my main branch, and ALWAYS stay down and spoken with someone. EVERY TIME they have refunded at least 50% of the overdrafts. A very satisfactory point for sure!!!

However; I am annoyed that even when you have an overdraft, and the bank is at fault it does not reflect as such on your banking record, it just shows as a past "refunded overdraft", thus appearing as if I screwed up and they rectified my mishap. This has actually hampered them refunding all of my actual mishap in one scenario due to them not being able to see why I had been refunded previously when I in fact knew it was due to a banking error in which they acknowledged. My advice, if you can do direct deposit, choose Silver checking, and if you have any issues... then don't call! Go into the branch and try the old fashioned route and sit down and work it out! US Bank overall is just another for profit, but they're far from the worst!

I live in suburban Detroit. There are no US Bank branches here. I received a personal check from a US Bank customer in Reno, NV and am trying to verify funds. Normally I could walk into a branch and cash the check. Unable to do this locally. I am told that their customer needs to be on the phone since I could be phishing for info. How crazy is this? I don't like being called a thief. I am told to deposit the check and wait for the funds to clear which is ridiculous. If I outright cash the check and there are insufficient funds, I am charged a fee. How difficult is it to verify funds? Apparently US Bank knows nothing about customer service.

I decided to returned my leased car 6 months early, pay the remaining payments and get a new car. I used the same new car dealer this time as I did less than three year ago to buy the one I was turning in and they FedEx'ed a check to US Bank the next day for the total balance. I then went on to my account on the US Bank website and it showed the payment was applied to my account. Two months later they sent me a bill saying they had not received and I owed them for all the remaining payments plus $136.00 for a tire they said was below their standards.

When I called them they claimed that they just received the payment that day and told me the dealer held my money for 2 months, even though I had evidence to the contrary. Every time I have dealt with the leasing group I have found them to be rude, uncooperative and liars. I would suggest to anyone looking to lease or buy a car they look elsewhere. My new car dealer also stopped dealing with US Bank because they were constantly having these kinds of problems with them. I also tried to find a place on the US Bank website to file a complaint and there is none.

My daughter had been 18 yrs old for one week, she wanted an account and was told US Bank is best for her. She listened and opened up an account there. The US Bank employee offered her overdraft, knowing she was very gullible as an 18 yr old. My daughter said sure, without being told hidden guidelines and rules first. An 11 dollar overdraft turned into 348 dollars in 2 weeks! We tried and tried to work with them and ask for this to be fixed and the store manager would not help her out. This practice if preying on young school kids needs to stop. It is illegal and shows the disparity of this business. We will pay this and close her account, and make sure to tell everyone about their practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

My mother-in-law has Alzheimers and my husband has power of attorney. For the past 2 and half months we have been trying to get US Bank to return her money so that we can use it to pay her bills. Every time we call we get the runaround. Every time we call we are given a different story. Refund back in July. Was told refund will be sent in 7-10 days. Nothing. Called back. Said it was sent to unclaimed funds. Not true. Next call refund on the way. Another lie. So here it is November 15 and was told last Saturday would be here in 10 days. It's been 10 days and nothing. Have been trying to avoid getting attorney involved because of cost but now we are going to sue for refund plus 3 times that amount because unlawful withholding and also going to get Ohio and Florida's Attorney General involved. One way or another we will get her money back.

I have banked with US Bank for over eight years now. And had nothing but problems the entire time. They are thieves. I deposited my check on a Friday morning and my funds were available to me until Tuesday even though I've been a customer of theirs for over eight years and deposit a check from the same company every other week my funds wouldn't be available to me until Tuesday so I bounced a check. It was $36.00 fee plus a 2.00 fee for even writing the check plus I had to pay a check fee to the person it was made out to. I have lost so much money banking with them and have had numerous problems. My advice to anyone that's looking for a bank. Do not Bank with U.S. Bank. You too will have problems.

My mother banked with a bank in Hugo, MN. They merged with US Bank a while back. Nothing but problems ever since. My mother passed away last winter. We have yet to collect all our inheritance from this bank. They have had her death certificate since we obtained it last winter. We were the beneficiaries on all her accounts. They wanted to charge myself and my 5 siblings fees for taking out her money. I stopped at the Chanhassen location last summer. I was told I'd receive a check in a few weeks. It is now November. No check. I've emailed. No response back. I've left voice mail messages. No calls back. My siblings are also waiting for the rest of my mother's IRA's funds. I highly recommend banking with small local banks or your local credit unions. Stay away from US Bank.

The credit card department is the worst in the industry. I make my payment online every month and they withdrew two times from my account. I have to make phone call to tell them to reverse my payment. I ended up closed this account a month ago and still waiting for annual fee to be refund.

I used the US Bill Pay to pay my rent, it accidentally sent it to US Bank Card Member (I feel like there is a glitch in the system, but I will take the blame). After I found out it was sent to the wrong biller and my account was negative, I called US Bank to see what I can do to fix it. None of their employees seemed to care and they just kept transferring me to departments and people. I at least talked to 10 people between US Bank, US Card member service, recovery broker, and the actual recovery company. I spent about 3 hours of my time getting nowhere. I got extremely frustrated and called US Bank again.

After pleading with the operator to please help me, she put in more effort and gave me a solution. If they had done that in the beginning I would of saved so much time and frustration. Unfortunately, I had to call the next day to dispute the payment. I again was transferred to US Member services and they were not willing to help me. US Card member services cashed my check even though the account is no longer active and is in recovery with a completely different company (to which I have already made arrangements to pay). They tried transferring me to the recovery service which I tried explaining to the operator that it was card member service that cashed my check not the recovery company. They kept repeating the same thing over and over and gave me attitude.

Once I asked to speak to their manager I got more attitude from them and they put me on hold for 20 min. I hung up and called US Bank again and again PLEADED with the operator to help me. She did and finally was transferred to a manager that helped me and explained everything to me. I don't understand if the account is in recovery, how card member service still cashes the check. They are horrible banking institution that purposely make resolving an issue impossible, but are extremely quick to take your money.

The other issue happened when I had to make a couple of big purchases and get my car maintained on the same day. Apparently it exceeded the spending limit. When I went to pick up my car, my card was declined. I called the bank and they said they could not make changes and I would have to wait until the next day for my limit to reset. How are you not able to override such thing, if you have money in your bank account? On top of that, I was going to be left without a car for a day!? What kind of business does that?!

DON'T sign up with US Bank's Credit card services! My husband runs his own business and signed up for a credit card reader. Within a year, he was required to get the new chip card reader and pay about 150.00. It never worked like it was supposed to. He runs a business that requires speed, and the card reader was too slow to keep up. Having customers wait, meant he lost business. When we asked for help, we were basically told that it might be that his smartphone is not the best for the service. My husband was eventually forced to sign up with Square. Square was reasonably priced and most importantly, WORKED. The worst about the experience, was when we cancelled, US Bank refused to pay back the 150.00 for their product that never worked right. Terrible customer relations!

I have a CD with US Bank and it costs me more money in maintenance fees than it pays in interest, so I am paying them to make more money with my money. My CD matured in October and I went to my branch to close the account but was told I must call the main office to close out the CD. I contacted the main office and was told they would send me paperwork to fill out and return so they could send me a check. I received the paperwork, filled it out and returned it two weeks ago but have not heard back from US Bank or received a check. Today I called the main office to inquire about my money and was told they received no paperwork and that I must go to my local branch to get a check. REALLY??? My advice to anybody that reads this is whatever you do, do not give US Bank your money. You can't afford it, and it's not worth the aggravation.

US Bank is unethical and careless in its practices. I knew from the beginning I had made a mistake. 6 years ago I applied for a cc with USB. They accepted me and I soon found out they were giving me a balance on pay with a high schooler. It was $500. All my other credit cards are at $5k+. I was shocked at the low balance so I did some research and was told by others the balance would go up quickly. 6 years later I am only at $1k. This card rarely gets used.

I then find that I have a 60-day late payment from USB on my credit report. I have a flawless report otherwise. It makes no sense as to why this would happen. I am positive I paid this card in full. I contacted them and I received a robotic response of how the records show true to them. In fear of this happening again, I go online to just pay the card off and cancel it. I put a payment in, submit it, only to find out that this payment did not go through either. It turns out their site is down and has been for months. They allow you to hit submit thinking the payment went through and then they tack on late fees and ruin your credit for 7 years. It is just not worth it. If you absolutely need a card from them. Use it until you can get another card elsewhere and then cancel the USB card as soon as possible. You have been forewarned.

Banking with US Bank has been the worst banking experience I have had and the most costly on my end. They were inaccurate with information causing a lot of financial and personal loss. I have moved on to a reputable credit union and will never look back.

I returned my lease vehicle. Notified the bank of this decision and still at the end of my three year lease they paid the taxes on this vehicle for a fourth year. I have produced evidence that I did not have possession of this vehicle and they continually harass me over this fee and additional fees. When I sent in my check along with cancelled check showing payments not reflected on bill they refused to cash my check as it stated paid in full. I believe the behavior of this institution is bordering on extortion. Beware!

I obtained a US Bank business credit card account with a $20k line of credit. I was told that if I spent $4500 within the first 90 days I would get a bonus reward of $500. I spent the required amount and even called the bank to make sure that I had spent the amount needed within the required time limit. I was told I did and would receive the credit on my June 2016 statement. When the statement arrived I did not see the amount credited. I called and was told that I had spent the required amount and the credit would arrive on my September 2016 statement. Again the statement arrived without the credit. I called a 3rd time and verified the amount had been met.

When I called again I was informed that since 2 items had been returned for a total of $100 dollars that I was short $45 dollars. Unbelievable. Additionally I was told that I made a late payment and that disqualified me for the 0% interest program. I was charged a late fee. I called the bank and proved to them that I did pay on time and the fee was removed. The following month I got an interest charge. When I called I was informed that since I had a late fee I now had to pay interest. I got the late fee removed but was then told that I needed a supervisor to file a request to reinstate me back in the 0% program.

I spoke with the supervisor and was told that she put in a request for me but that it would take a certain amount of business days before it happened. So there is the possibility that I would again be charged. So of course I would have to call again. I have had to call every month on this account. Truthfully this is nothing more than bait and switch, a real ponzi scheme. This bank is a terror. I know all bankers are liars and cheats but these guys go above and beyond.

I have both of my sons as independent, authorized users on my US Bank Visa for use while they are at college. I have had them on the accounts for in excess of 5 years. Both sons attended college away from our primary residential area. One, 8 hours north (but within the same state), the other 15 hours south, (in another state).

Well, my youngest son graduated college in April of this year. He had used the card while traveling between states and in his college state. This August, he was accepted to grad school and left for the East Coast. As he was moving into his apartment, he attempted to use the card at a grocery store, and then Costco, but it was declined. He was on the phone with US Bank for over 50 minutes, to no avail. They continued to tell him that they could not provide him information, despite the fact that he had a card with his name on it, and he was authorized on the account. As a grad student, his funds were quite limited, so this posed a BIG ISSUE!

I was at an event at the time, so could not call immediately. When I finally did call (approximately 8 PM), it took over 45 minutes to speak to a HUMAN. Then I was told the card was cut off because of potential fraud as it was being used out of state. Really. Never had a problem before! Also, why didn't someone text, email, or contact me, to inquire??? Why would they not speak to my son? Why did it take almost 2 hours of calls to get this resolved? I was left with many why's and VERY angry. The Rep I spoke to apologized profusely, and confirmed my son was an authorized user and on the account and should have been able to resolve with his calls. I have had the US Bank Visa for many years. I will not have it for much longer.

By contrast, this week, our Capital One card sent an Email and a text of potential fraudulent activity. I confirmed it WAS fraudulent activity. They had me call the fraud area, a new card was sent to me NEXT BUSINESS MORNING, and it was a pleasant experience. This, despite the fact that $488 in fraud charges were stopped, and $121 in fraud charges were actually put through. The rep assured me those $121 charges would be removed from the bill that day (they were). With very little distinguishing credit cards, customer service is all they have. US Bank needs to step it up.

I have had mortgages with other banks before and this is the first time I have ever been charged an online payment fee for paying on time online. This fee is $5! That is outrageous! There should be no fee for an on time payment. I will never go paperless with them because of this. I don't like mailing checks as I have had mail stolen and been a victim of check fraud, but I refuse to spend an extra $5/month! They have got to change this ridiculous, archaic policy.

My card was cloned while I was on a trip in Mexico. There was a withdrawal in Long Beach while I was on the trip, yet when I reported the fraud I was told that my case was declined. I have proof I was on the trip. I will leave this bank and I hope to warn everybody I can about this poor customer service.

I had a terrible experience with customer service at US Bank!!! I had an auto lease with US Bank for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Every time I call the bank, I am put on hold for excessive wait times. When I speak to a customer service representative, they transfer me multiple times and have difficulty accessing accurate information about my lease. When my lease ended, no Jeep dealer in the Washington DC area would allow me to return my Jeep. I called US Bank multiple times, and they said to keep calling Jeep dealers. Finally I called US Bank in frustration and they agreed to have a company pick up my Jeep. However, the company never arranged to pick up the vehicle. I called US Bank an additional 4 times before the company finally picked up my vehicle.

US Bank then overcharged me at the termination lease. Again, I had to call multiple times to argue the charges. Each time I was put on hold for excessive wait times. Every time, the call representative I spoke to did not have information about my lease and was not able to help me. Very very Terrible Customer Service!!! Avoid US Bank!!!

I am very tired of this bank, we always get charged a FEE for every thing, you charge fees for this, for that!! You guys don't care about your customers. We have come across this every month it seems like. You are very inconsistent with people's accounts and balances. We had a return for 50 bucks and get charged 72 in fees. You guys charge a monthly maintenance fee, we made a change for that. If we don't have money for something DON'T pay for it. Let it decline. What happens you guys pay for it after you were not authorized to do that, and we got charged. You guys seem to take more money than people who put money in. You guys charge 5 dollars for money orders, they should be free. You guys are just money hungry & don't care about your customers. We are gonna be out searching for a new bank.

This past week I had gone into the negative by about 16$ so being pretty money cautious (husband is a disabled veteran so we live on a fixed income) we went and took out a pay day loan to cover the overdraft and have a few dollars. We deposited 250$ into the atm on Saturday after hours and then took out 180 at the same time. We had no charges pending on that Saturday. So we get up Monday and I'm in the negative 14$?! They had a hold on 50 of the 250 we deposited. Apparently there had been old charges that didn't go through until Saturday sometime? So ok. I'll go deposit the money to cover it. Before leaving home I check the balance again and I'm negative over 100$!? I had gotten hit with 4 new OD charges.. from what?! I called the bank and she said they should release the 50$ funds the next day. Throughout that day my bank went from -100 to positive. To negative again?! What in the world!

So Tuesday comes and they still hadn't released the funds but I got hit with 4 OD fees?! I hadn't even used my card in days! I tried calling the bank I opened my account at and no one answers all day. I think they all died. So I called a different branch. Only to be told they couldn't do anything because they are not the branch I opened my account with... seriously... The lady was a bit more helpful and got in touch with the other branch. An assistant manager called me and refunded 2 of the OD fees, what about any of the other 18 fees I got hit with? I went through my bank statement and I had been hit with fees when I had funds available. So yesterday I tried to contact someone about it again and I was told to go into the branch so I could show them what I was seeing compared to what their records show.... why are they not the same?! I was asked if I kept a list of all my transactions... which I don't.

I have always relied on my online banking to do that. NEVER had I had a problem like this before. EVER. Basically the lady tells me that if I didn't keep track I can't prove the bank made a mistake... seriously? So today I check the account and they reversed my atm deposit?! Umm.. why?! Not only had they hit me with OD fees for no reason.

Now I'm in the hole over 400 $ because they said there was only 11$ in envelope... Are. You. Freaking. Kidding. Me. So. Now they have closed my account and have started an investigation on atm fraud... This bank is a joke. Their employees are a joke... especially in Cookeville and Sparts TN. So now I have to deal with all this bs and since I didn't keep a written record of every single transaction I'm basically screwed because I can't prove anything! Amazing.

My was purse stolen on 7/31/16. The thief, a woman (Quina **) wrote herself 2 checks and cashed them. Almost 3 months later, and many promises my money would be returned, US Bank decided I was the negligent one and are refusing to refund me $1300. Victim blaming at its best.

Here I am 9 weeks in to a mortgage on a house and the only delay is US Bank's ability to get an appraiser and to get the appraiser to actually do their job. It took US Bank 5 weeks to get an appraiser. The appraiser is now 8 days late and all US Bank employees can do is gaze at their feet. It looks as though we will lose the house because of US Bank. I would advise no one to get a mortgage with US Bank, they are too big and lumbering to deal with any problem and they do not put the customer first. I have regretted ever starting this process with US Bank and the one bright spot if this deal falls through is I will switch lenders.

On Sep 29/16, I visited the U.S. Bank branch in Redding Ca. And I was very upset about a discrepancy with my credit card, which was not an error on the part of the bank, but an error from the people that I was dealing with. I was helped by the bank manager Mr. **, who gave me an absolutely outstanding service. I am also very sorry and publicly apologize to this gentleman for my lack of consideration and respect for him, who is a person that will go to any length to help you and to provide you with such an excellent service; he is very polite, respectful and an absolute professional.

I live in California, but I opened my account in Joplin Mo. and I must say that the day when I opened my account at U.S. Bank was a day of great fortune for me. All across the U.S. at every branch of the U.S. bank that I have ever been to, the service, the knowledge and the cordiality always has been absolutely superb. I am very grateful to the U.S. Bank for being such a great place to bank, and for offering such a great help and service. Many regards to all of its employees, and especially to Mr. **, who has moved me to write this review with his friendliness, courtesy and great service!… Thank you so much!

Purchased a car and received financing through this sorry excuse for a bank. Being the good customer, opened a checking account so I can fund the loan via my personal account. 9 weeks I try to log on to the account, it's been closed. I called (Oregon customer service center) to ask why did they close my account. Says that they were not satisfied with my paperwork and MY NAME APPEARS NOT TO BE "NORMAL" WHAT?!?! What does not mean? "We felt it was necessary to close your account, because we didn't collect enough information to verify you." So whose fault is that? "It is our sir, yet, we needed to protect our institution and close your account". I was livid at this point... "WTF?! Why do you take my money and I was going to harm your bank?". "We felt it was necessary to close this account because your names don't seem normal". Tried contacting the regional manager, as usual, no correspondence at all.

August 2016, paid my car payment online. On USBANK.COM with my debit card it went through, I'm thinking I don't have to deal with RACIST bank ever again. NOPE!! they reversed by payment. Why? US Bank could not verify the routing number and account number of the CREDIT CARD. AGAIN WTF?! HORRIBLE BANK! STAY AWAY!!! Save your sanity. I'm sure banks like this better off closed. Which will happen soon enough.

We tried to close our account and withdraw the money we had in it. We were told they did not have enough cash on hand and it would take a week to get it. We only had about $130k in this account and could not understand why they couldn't or wouldn't get us our money. They keep offering us checks? I asked them if I could cash them? They said NO and I asked what good is it if I can't cash it? She had no answer and said there is nothing they can do. BANKS IN THE USA ARE BROKE AND THEY DON'T WANT ANYONE TO KNOW.

Got direct deposit from my employer this morning and funds show available. Tried to use my card and it got declined. I called the toll free number at 6am trying to get gas to go to work and they said a hold was put on my account because it went negative. The hold would be removed when my account was positive again. However for the hold to be removed I had to call the banker that put the hold on there. I waited till 9am till the bank opened and called to remove the hold. They told me that the operations manager placed the hold on there and was the only one that could remove it. That operations manager is now on vacation and they won't give me my money until she is back. I spoke with a branch manager at one location and they basically told me tough **. I called another one and they are finally trying to contact a different operations manager from a different district to remove the hold. Worst bank I have ever dealt with.

I was widowed three years ago. We had a few bank accounts at various banks and up until last month I had kept them all active. I decided to consolidate down to two so I went to the bank to close my account. The clerk was polite and understanding. She told me it was routine that a check would be made for the balance of my account, $90.00. I was surprised but said alright.

She closed my account, issued my check and then I walked over to a teller to cash it. They would not do it since I did not have an account there. I said what?!?! I've been a customer for 20+ years, the check was written at this very bank just five minutes earlier. She said there would be a $20.00 fee. I was astonished. I feel it is very poor customer service. I left shaking my head. Went right over to my bank on the next corner, cashed it right then and there. I am glad that I chose to close my US Bank account. I felt very mistreated at a place that my late husband and I used to frequent regularly.

First, I opened a deposit account in US bank year ago. Suddenly, I received a letter from them tallying me that they want close my account without any reason. Then, when I want to talk to them about this decision that they made they gave me no convening reason for this act. As a matter of fact they did not give any reason whatsoever for closing my account. Their answer was its our right to opted to close your account even if there is no reason.

Second, Last week I tried to withdraw some money using my international visa card from their ATM front the bank and the machine pall over my card. Then, I went to the bank and I told them what happen. They told me that the lady who is in charge of the machine has already left and she will be in tomorrow morning and they ask me to leave my phone number and she will call me when she gets in. Next morning nobody called me so I went to the bank to find that the lady has shredded my visa card. When I asked about the reason why she did this I was told that is the policy of the bank. The instructions that they posted on the machine did not mention anything indicating this risk. This card is international card and I need at least two months to get another one. I do not have money to meet my financial obligations.

US Bank Company Profile