Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

BOTTOM LINE

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

PROS

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

CONS

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Top US Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

US Bank has given myself a reasonable interest rate. I am able to make extra payments without a penalty. Customer service is ready to answer any question I may have, and explains things simply...

When I need to talk to person I can. That's important to me not to have a hard time getting to a live person. The time I needed to talk to a person I did and got the issue resolved... I appreciate the information.

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
    US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
    US Bank savings accounts
    US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
    US Bank certificates of deposit
    US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
    US Bank credit cards
    US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
    US Bank loans
    US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
    US Bank money market account
    The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
    US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
    • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
    • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
    • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
    • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
    US Bank ATM fees
    There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
    US Bank overdraft fee
    US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
    US Bank paper statement fee
    US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
    There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
    US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
    What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
    The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
    How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
    There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
    Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
    US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I never really trusted banks after a CSR working for a large, very well-known bank forged a check and drained my account. It was decades before I broke down and opened a checking account - out of necessity after my mother passed and I came into a little bit of money. I chose US Bank on the recommendation from a family member who had accounts with them for years already. Not only was I pleased with the account options I had to choose from, the customer service support is outstanding. Our CSR went above and beyond my expectations and that my friends is what makes me stay with any company. Personalized customer care from a human being in this digital world we live in is always a relief and comfort to me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My experiences have always been pleasant and satisfying. I have always been pleased with the vert cordiality in which US BANK personnel interacts with people in general. I HAVE great faith in the US Bank during these challenging, uncertain times, and strange times. I EVEN depend on US BANK even more from day to day, I am motivated in feeling more secure and calm because of the loyalty of US BANK CLERKS who are professionally well trained.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

US Bank is a little quirky with their CC I have of theirs. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad experience, though. US Bank lets me choose my rewards every quarter, which is great! I just don’t like the way I have to do it because it’s through another website instead of my regular credit card login account. The choices are split up in an unclear way as well that makes it hard to managed every quarter. I like their online management tool because it’s clear on most of what I need to do on it. However, it is not sleek and sometimes tricky to figure where to I need to go to resolve my concern.

Original review: July 29, 2020

We have been long-time customers of US Bank and they have always given us first-rate, first-class service. Even though we live out of their banking market they are just a phone call away. Once purchased a new car out of state and the dealer called US Bank to see if the check was any good. USB's response was that any check I write is good! Deal closed.

Original review: May 6, 2020

With thousands of small businesses applying for the PPP loan it was great to know that US Bank was working 24/7 to help us out. US Bank - Temecula Parkway Branch, Angie ** was constantly following up with me to ensure all my questions are answered if I had any. Once the Sba approved our loan it took them only two days to finalize our documents and once I signed the paperwork US Bank dispersed the much needed money in our accounts within hours. We are so thankful.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Choosing to bank with a company for 31 years and receiving no comments, other than a form letter, on acct closures is just strange. A phone call proved confusing at best as only the obscure Account Closure Dept seemed aware of the closure letter. How fortunate it was not lost in the mail before I withdrew my monies. Yes, banks reserve this right but slightly comical coming from their customer satisfaction team. In 2021, there are an abundance of fee free banking options, without silly $2500 daily mobile deposit limits and excessive wire charges. My individual and business accts deserve friendly professionals with a modern approach to banking. Farewell US Bank and your antiquated ways!

Original review: March 24, 2021

Had an atm error at a branch location when they were closed. $1100 was not credited to my account, called corporate. Got nowhere (ridiculous process). Eventually spoke with branch and even met with them days later. They could confirm I deposited said amount of cash but informed me there was nothing they could do other than issue me provisional credit in 10 business days which is insane. Finally I was told the branch manager was contacted and would likely be able to issue me immediate credit until the issue was resolved but it was never followed up on. I’m now 5 days going on 6 with $0 assistance, no actual timeline for reconciliation. First issue I’ve ever had like this and an absolute failure on US Banks part from a customer service standpoint.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I had a check for $500 that I didn't feel like driving to the bank so I use the mobile app and scan the check. Now the check is from my employer. Which I automatically have a deposit in my account every two weeks but there's a hold on my check almost 2 weeks for what reason I really don't know. If I would have known there was going to be a hold on it I would have just took it somewhere else and deposited it. Very unsatisfied with them. Then when I called customer service the first lady couldn't help me. Gave me another number to call. The second call he said it's up to the bank's discretion. Well I really think that is totally not right to hold it that long. Even after it's been cleared. I did learn a lesson to just go cash it at Walmart and pay the $4 fee. Instead of waiting 2 weeks for US Bank to clear it. Granted this is not my main account luckily.

Original review: March 20, 2021

So I had a transaction that came up and I tried to handle it but got passed around like a hot potato, frustrating right? Anyway last phone call was with a manager. I had a friend who was with me in the car. We just did his ancestry and I said, "You're **." The manager took offense and verbally attacked me and threatened to shut my account down. I will be taking my business to another bank who doesn't make assumptions.

Original review: March 2, 2021

U.S. Bank is unable to distinguish the nuances of their individual departments. Today, I spent close to seven hours trying to get them to recognize that they had erroneously debited $2100.00 from my balance. Their hold times are untenable and you are made to listen to scratchy, hideous background music. Even management admitted to me (finally) that they were having problems with their Bill Pay/Zelle/transfers. The bank gets them confused and the result to the customer is absolute nightmarish. Tomorrow I am moving my account to a competing bank and I will never, voluntarily do business with U.S. Bank again.

US Bank Company Information