Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.99/5

BOTTOM LINE

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

PROS

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

CONS

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Top US Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

This bank is very reliable. Customer service is great. Online banking tools are fabulous. Whenever I had to call I got answer right away …

Ridiculous wait times on phone each time, no return calls as promised as well as condescending attitude from management. I would not recommend this bank to anyone …

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
    US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
    US Bank savings accounts
    US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
    US Bank certificates of deposit
    US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
    US Bank credit cards
    US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
    US Bank loans
    US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
    US Bank money market account
    The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
    US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
    • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
    • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
    • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
    • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
    US Bank ATM fees
    There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
    US Bank overdraft fee
    US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
    US Bank paper statement fee
    US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
    There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
    US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
    What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
    The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
    How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
    There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
    Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
    US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I never really trusted banks after a CSR working for a large, very well-known bank forged a check and drained my account. It was decades before I broke down and opened a checking account - out of necessity after my mother passed and I came into a little bit of money. I chose US Bank on the recommendation from a family member who had accounts with them for years already. Not only was I pleased with the account options I had to choose from, the customer service support is outstanding. Our CSR went above and beyond my expectations and that my friends is what makes me stay with any company. Personalized customer care from a human being in this digital world we live in is always a relief and comfort to me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My experiences have always been pleasant and satisfying. I have always been pleased with the vert cordiality in which US BANK personnel interacts with people in general. I HAVE great faith in the US Bank during these challenging, uncertain times, and strange times. I EVEN depend on US BANK even more from day to day, I am motivated in feeling more secure and calm because of the loyalty of US BANK CLERKS who are professionally well trained.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

US Bank is a little quirky with their CC I have of theirs. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad experience, though. US Bank lets me choose my rewards every quarter, which is great! I just don’t like the way I have to do it because it’s through another website instead of my regular credit card login account. The choices are split up in an unclear way as well that makes it hard to managed every quarter. I like their online management tool because it’s clear on most of what I need to do on it. However, it is not sleek and sometimes tricky to figure where to I need to go to resolve my concern.

Original review: May 6, 2020

With thousands of small businesses applying for the PPP loan it was great to know that US Bank was working 24/7 to help us out. US Bank - Temecula Parkway Branch, Angie ** was constantly following up with me to ensure all my questions are answered if I had any. Once the Sba approved our loan it took them only two days to finalize our documents and once I signed the paperwork US Bank dispersed the much needed money in our accounts within hours. We are so thankful.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I’ve been banking corporate and private for over 6 years with this awesome bank: US Bank!! Amazing services, the best customer service and I’ve had a lot of money in the past and now that I’m retired on a low fixed income - this bank shows me a touch of humanity as needed in overdrafts. They back out fees constantly wherever they can to help me... and with high balances or low they treat me equally and with respect! Excellent management style - very human... I recommend this bank to everyone. The easiest most efficient latest technology and totally safe! You must become a customer. You will love the experience! Best bank ever!!!!

GF

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

There is no way to fully and properly describe how pathetic and useless the customer service division is at US Bank. Let me preface this by saying that the incident I am going to describe is NOT an isolated issue. I have had variations of the same exact problem no less than five times in as many months (which begs the question, why have I continued to bank with them? Rest assured--I am cancelling my account ASAP!) Essentially, I found myself in a bind and was unable to get to a physical branch location on a Friday afternoon. A particularly time-sensitive bill needed to be paid and necessitated a check deposit.

Until this point I had been wary of using the US Bank mobile app based upon overwhelmingly negative reviews that I had read online. However, I downloaded the app after carefully and thoroughly researching the efficacy of their mobile deposit feature, assuming that, as I was assured via every channel officially associated with them, the check would be immediately available once submitted. Unfortunately, US Bank has no problem telling boldfaced lies at every turn and the check was most certainly NOT available for quite some time. As such, I called the bank customer service line and spent fifteen minutes and change on hold, finally getting hold of a rep. Although the individual was very polite, she was zero help. She couldn't give me a timeline on when the deposit would be available. She couldn't simply cancel the pending transaction since, apparently, the check was neither in my account nor anywhere accessible to any employee of the bank!

I asked her what that meant exactly--"If I don't have the money, and YOU don't have the money, then where is it?" I instructed her to go ahead and cancel the mobile deposit, as I would simply have to make some arrangement to get to a branch before close of business. She couldn't do that, either, though! After asking to be escalated to a manager who could help answer my questions directly or make the requested cancellation, she put me on hold for several additional minutes, only to return and inform me that "no one is available because all managers just stepped into a meeting." I have had enough of the run-around treatment these people give me. Again, this is just one in a long line of instances of their complete failure to actually offer help when I call with an issue. They are either deliberately obtuse or their entire system is simply unethical and has no real focus on giving customers the help they need.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Horrible in every way. They do not track promotions at all. I opened an account only because of a promotion. I met all the criteria for the promotion. I never received the promotion. I've called 3 different times talking to more than 6 different people and wasting over 2 hours of my time on the worst customer service ever. They aren't even capable of transferring callers to the correct department. I'm dropping all my US Bank accounts including my mortgage.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

As a POA for my 90+-year-old elderly mother, I was in charge of handling her financial affairs. When I brought them my POA paperwork, they reviewed my mother's account and filed a financial elder abuse claim with Adult Protective Services. I had to prove my innocence by showing them the Amazon charges were for adult diapers and other supplies solely for my mother.

Recently, my mother passed. I called the bank to let them know I would be coming in to close the accounts. I was told I would have to go through the Life Events Department. They would call me in 3 days. 10 days later, I received an email telling me they would require a death certificate and affidavits of all kinds. I wrote back that the accounts were POD (payable upon death) to me as beneficiary.

Over a year ago, I spoke to a banker inside the Fairfax branch in LA about my mother's wish to add me as beneficiary to all her accounts. He told me in order to add POD he would need an original copy of my POA, my passport and my mother's signature - in person. This took me 3 trips to the bank, including dragging my then 98-year-old mother in to the bank.

Imagine my shock when I received an email back from Life Events advising me none of my mom's accounts were POD and when I then immediately went in to the branch to speak to the banker who demanded the passport, original POA and my mother's appearance for signatures to add PODs (and who assured us bother to our faces that all mom's accounts were all POD) to find he no longer worked there. The bank manager, of course, apologizing but saying there was zero she could do. Obviously, they'd rather keep her money. Should I call Adult Protective Services!?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Hold times are completely ridiculous. When you do get to speak to someone they give you the wrong information. I have faxed my personal information to them more than twice and just to hear them tell me "I don't know who gave you that fax number but it is the wrong number" and they just don't care. It's like it's no BIG deal to them.... They have supervisors that might as well be customer service 'cause they can't and won't do anything either to help you!!! It took me almost 3 months to get my maiden name changed to my married name, and faxing again personal information. At least 6 times I had to fax my personal information. Shame on whoever owns this business.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I decided to refinance my mortgage with U.S. Bank since I already had a checking account open with them. I have perfect credit, great debt ratio, no needed appraisal and had all my documents in order. The process took 110 days from application to closing!!! My loan processor would not return emails or calls and would send me an update every 3 weeks. Her emails were shockingly unprofessional. She actually didn't know how to spell the word "Refinance" and had 11 misspelled words in a short paragraph. All her emails would start with "I AM WORKING BUT NOT AVAILABLE" in bold caps. After 60 days of this craziness, I decided to call customer service to voice my concerns.

After 2 weeks and 3 calls and 3 voice messages, I was able to get her supervisor's name. I sent her supervisor an email and left voice messages just to be ignored again. I completed email surveys sent to me after each call and completed them with a "1" score with comments hoping that would generate a call from someone that cared...nope. It's obvious that the lack of customer service runs deep into the mortgage segment of the business. I finally got a hold of a Mortgage Operations Manager that offered me a refund on my $300 application and then sent me right back to the same loan processor. NEVER AGAIN!!!

US Bank Company Information