Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.06/5

BOTTOM LINE

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

PROS

• Money market account options
  • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
  • Free checking for students and seniors

CONS

• High overdraft and transfer fees
  • High requirements on free checking

Top US Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

This bank is very reliable. Customer service is great. Online banking tools are fabulous. Whenever I had to call I got answer right away …

Ridiculous wait times on phone each time, no return calls as promised as well as condescending attitude from management. I would not recommend this bank to anyone …

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
    US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
    US Bank savings accounts
    US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
    US Bank certificates of deposit
    US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
    US Bank credit cards
    US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
    US Bank loans
    US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
    US Bank money market account
    The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
    US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
    • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
    • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
    • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
    • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
    US Bank ATM fees
    There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
    US Bank overdraft fee
    US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
    US Bank paper statement fee
    US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
    There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
    US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
    What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
    The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
    How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
    There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
    Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
    US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I never really trusted banks after a CSR working for a large, very well-known bank forged a check and drained my account. It was decades before I broke down and opened a checking account - out of necessity after my mother passed and I came into a little bit of money. I chose US Bank on the recommendation from a family member who had accounts with them for years already. Not only was I pleased with the account options I had to choose from, the customer service support is outstanding. Our CSR went above and beyond my expectations and that my friends is what makes me stay with any company. Personalized customer care from a human being in this digital world we live in is always a relief and comfort to me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My experiences have always been pleasant and satisfying. I have always been pleased with the vert cordiality in which US BANK personnel interacts with people in general. I HAVE great faith in the US Bank during these challenging, uncertain times, and strange times. I EVEN depend on US BANK even more from day to day, I am motivated in feeling more secure and calm because of the loyalty of US BANK CLERKS who are professionally well trained.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 31, 2020

US Bank is a little quirky with their CC I have of theirs. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad experience, though. US Bank lets me choose my rewards every quarter, which is great! I just don’t like the way I have to do it because it’s through another website instead of my regular credit card login account. The choices are split up in an unclear way as well that makes it hard to managed every quarter. I like their online management tool because it’s clear on most of what I need to do on it. However, it is not sleek and sometimes tricky to figure where to I need to go to resolve my concern.

Original review: May 6, 2020

With thousands of small businesses applying for the PPP loan it was great to know that US Bank was working 24/7 to help us out. US Bank - Temecula Parkway Branch, Angie ** was constantly following up with me to ensure all my questions are answered if I had any. Once the Sba approved our loan it took them only two days to finalize our documents and once I signed the paperwork US Bank dispersed the much needed money in our accounts within hours. We are so thankful.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I’ve been banking corporate and private for over 6 years with this awesome bank: US Bank!! Amazing services, the best customer service and I’ve had a lot of money in the past and now that I’m retired on a low fixed income - this bank shows me a touch of humanity as needed in overdrafts. They back out fees constantly wherever they can to help me... and with high balances or low they treat me equally and with respect! Excellent management style - very human... I recommend this bank to everyone. The easiest most efficient latest technology and totally safe! You must become a customer. You will love the experience! Best bank ever!!!!

GF

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

We attempted to refinance our house using US Bank. Despite having enough savings to purchase the house outright, they spent over three months requesting documents, credit reports, and more even though my credit score is over 850. The process was incredibly time consuming and invasive. In contrast, when we pursued a loan with JP Morgan, it was an effortless, concierge experience. Ultimately, we had to terminate the loan process with US Bank because it took up too much time and there was no end in sight. You may gain a few bps by obtaining a loan from US Bank but any gain will be offset by the time they chew up and the stress they create. Their process is incredibly adversarial as well.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

At the start US Bank has been not a problem at all. Then Covid happened, lost my job and was financially hit hard. I was hovering near zero always and found out my “overdraft protection” is only if I’m making purchases not for things like large bills. I’ve been hit with over $500 overdraft fees this year. I luckily got 7 of them reversed after balling my eyes out to one of their managers after talking to a different manager and banker who were heartless people. The manager who reversed some of them actually 100% was the best and understood the hardships many of us are facing. That’s only rare for US Bank and they only care about one thing your MONEY. Not you or your hardships.

I knew I was gonna have to overdraft again and got an unexpected unrecognizable charge. I called to find out and we did get what it was from. Then I asked about overdraft fees and let her know right off the bat, "I know you can’t help because I only get 1 wavier per year." She said, "Hold on..." She offered to waive two, send to Covid relief team and it would be reversed that night. Didn’t happen. More fees hit. Called again, spoke to the worst manager ever. She was rude condescending and unemphatic. No sorry nothing... She even refused to give me her bosses' information.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I spent 45 minutes on hold after being transferred to someone that was supposed to help me with the letter I received about how my credit card interest rate is going up to %21.99! I was so angry by the time someone answered and then got told it was the wrong department!! Never mind US Bank! I will never use your card or bank for anything else ever again! I have paid off my balance with them and %80 percent of my other debt and now they want to raise my interest rate? I already cut up my card! I have several %0 cards to choose from and I definitely don’t need you!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

The US Bank yearly overview of escrow for taxes and insurance is more than adequate and explains every detail. Both online and paper versions are available. US Bank loans often originate with other lenders and are transferred or sold. Happy to be with them nonetheless.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I am a make up artist one of the first jobs to be stopped due to Covid. I have emailed and called up as it says on their web site. “Covid has affected millions we are here to help.” LOL I EMAILED, I CALLED. I told them "I want to pay my bill." I want to do the right thing but although you gave me a 3mth pass they now whacked on the interest and I am back to square one and I was still making payments when I didn’t have too!!! I asked for a lower interest temporary or anything to HELP ME. I can not work. Not my fault.

They refuse to help me. Sent me a link for “credit counselor”. So disgusting especially when you want to pay your bill but the interest is killing you AND I can’t work... UNBELIEVABLE. US BANK YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. I followed your protocol on the website and I get the runaround from customer service and then I get an email after I poured my heart out. Then you email me credit counselors. WOW.

US Bank Company Information