3.8/5 (220 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About US Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Pros

• Money market account options
    • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
    • Free checking for students and seniors

Cons

• High overdraft and transfer fees
    • High requirements on free checking

Bottom Line

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

Top US Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

US Bank has given myself a reasonable interest rate. I am able to make extra payments without a penalty. Customer service is ready to answer any question I may have, and explains ...

Verified

When I need to talk to person I can. That's important to me not to have a hard time getting to a live person. The time I needed to talk to a person I did and got the issue resolve...

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
    US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
    US Bank savings accounts
    US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
    US Bank certificates of deposit
    US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
    US Bank credit cards
    US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
    US Bank loans
    US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
    US Bank money market account
    The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
    US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
    • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
    • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
    • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
    • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
    US Bank ATM fees
    There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
    US Bank overdraft fee
    US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
    US Bank paper statement fee
    US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
    There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
    US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
    What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
    The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
    How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
    There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
    Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
    US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: May 13, 2022

This bank has ruined my life. The first time I had a dispute with them they froze my card and account and left me stranded in an entirely different state than I lived in, causing me to lose my hone and all my possessions. It took 10 months before they paid me the money in the account. I filed a dispute two months ago again and not one person has actually reviewed the dispute. I send emails daily and get only computer generated messages back saying case closed.

When calling in to customer service they now tell me that my card isn't even in the system! I managed to get a reply from a person in a different department than I needed once. I tried again to contact that person's direct email, and US Banks server has now blocked my email address altogether. Unbelievable. They have done it again. Here I sit with no funds because they have refused to review my dispute. They are not to be trusted by any means, so do not use their services. A complaint has been filed with the treasury as well.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I was signed up for a card that I did not want. I was trying to sign up for a promo card that was sent to me and they signed me up for another one and would not fix it. I called in and spoke to several people being passed around about the issue.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I refinanced my home loan nearly two years ago. Along comes US Bank, they bought out my loan. From the get-go, they screwed my property tax payments and missed the first payment due. I even alerted them BEFORE it was due and it was still late. I tried to get a hold of the escrow department and of course, you can't talk to them. You have to go through the gatekeepers, the idiotic representatives who answer the phones while you're on hold. After weeks of arguing, they finally paid my property taxes out of my escrow account. I had to threaten a lawsuit if they tried to charge me the late fee with the county. Then I decided I wanted to change my homeowner's insurance. Of course, nobody to speak to with that department either.0

From that moment, I initiated plans to close my escrow account. I'm sick of dealing with these people. It's been nearly two months since I closed the escrow account and I'm still waiting for these people to send me my $4,533 check out of my escrow account. Every single time I called to ask about my payment, I'd get a different answer to my questions. "It takes 10 days to get the payment", "It takes 20 days to get the payment", "It was mailed out April 11", "It was mailed out May 2". I wish these people would have just left my loan alone. If I had known they were going to buy my loan, I would never have refinanced in the first place. These people are NOT worth my time anymore. I will NEVER take out a checking, savings, car loan, personal loan, credit card or otherwise with these incompetent morons.

Original review: May 5, 2022

To deposit a check on line my limit was $2500.00 which at the time I didn't know and our motorhome broke down where there was no US Banks and my dad sent me a check to cover the cost of $3500.00. They would not accept the check and we went round and round for days trying to get the money to fix our motorhome and head back to our state. We were stranded and got NO help from them. Couldn't believe they wouldn't up the limit 1000.00 so we could get the money. We no longer are banking with them. Couldn't believe they left us stranded in the middle of nowhere and no money. We have been banking with them for years and they did that to us. Customer service was rude when we asked to talk to someone higher up to help us. I'll never do business with this bank and I'll let all my friends and family know what they did. They don't care!

Original review: April 28, 2022

Opened a checking account online. Had a few hiccups wth the process, but everything worked out okay. Have another checking account with Wells Fargo for 40 years, but since moving to Idaho, wanted to try a local bank. What a mistake. Read reviews about U.S. Bank and one of the high points is their customer service and often you can speak to a person, not a computer.

As soon as I started making deposits (both direct and via ATM), they held them up where I did not have access. I called my local branch to find out why and they could not give me a reason. Didn't take it out on the branch employee, she really tried to get to the bottom of it. After talking to a manager, they released my funds, but still could not tell me why it happened. Fast forward, few weeks later and it happened again. Called local branch (got the same employee who assisted me before - she remembered me) and this time she was instructed to give me the corporate 800 number and an extension for the Fraud Department.

I can't even remember how many times I had to call and recall that number because the computer-guided system would not give me an option to talk to a person or use the extension number I was provided. Round and round and back to the main menu. Talked to 3 different individuals and none could give me a reason for why my money was being held.

Finally get connected to the Fraud Department and am told, they can't help me because this is not fraud. No kidding jack. He couldn't even recommend another department to help me. So, I inquired if the deposit holds are because I am a newer customer (opened the account 2-1/2 months prior). He said, most likely, yes. Okay, a for real answer. I asked, "How long am I considered a 'new' customer? 3 months, 6 months, a year?" He couldn't say, but the system says the check is being held for 7 days. So, today is the 7th day mark and STILL my deposit is not available. I need to make rent. Idaho doesn't have many banks to choose from - obviously I chose the wrong bank. Stay away from this bank.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I received a payroll US Bank Focus card today. I followed the steps to activate my card and create a login. If I try to log in, their system logs me out saying I have to reset/create a new login. When I log in again, I get a blank screen and nothing loads. I do not have a cell phone and US Bank refuses access to my account without sending me a verification code to a cell phone number. I only have a tablet with service to accompany my closed caption and TTY calls, not a cell phone. US Bank clearly discriminates against people who do not have cell phones or have disabilities, limiting or refusing access to online accounts.

Original review: March 25, 2022

Fees fair? NO - The HIGHEST fees. Customer service fair or nice? Sometimes, but more often than not, no. Sympathetic sounding? ABSOLUTELY NOT - not "RUDE" but just close enough to the edge. I have a bank account too. I called the branch for something someone was supposed to have handled but hadn't completed it yet. I called. That person had left without completing the job. I waiting for the manager. She got on the line, after a very long hold time (understandably has a lot of customers so I wasn't mad), very rushed she told me she didn't have time to do it because she was too busy for "CUSTOMERS". I AM a customer. I can't leave work to deal with your employee's incompetence just to walk up for priority. It was an email I needed them to send.

Had to change my phone number - don't get me started on those details, we don't have all week. Let me just say, changing a phone number? WAS NOT EASY OR FAST in any sense of the word, not to mention, several, several calls to resolve. And you guessed it, several attitudes to boot. Mind you, I was in their shoes, so I don't yell and I'm not rude at all to any customer service after knowing what they deal with.

Let me just say, I am getting a loan to pay off the credit card so I don't have to deal with them any longer. I hate losing the history of a long standing account but the fees and the attitude are too much for me. I gave them more than one chance of a one or two bad encounters to have to put up with incompetence and people who don't care to have my business. Closing my credit card, personal checking and business checking account.

Original review: March 19, 2022

US BANK stole $6250.00 from my business account. On 3/9/2022 US Bank deducted $6250.00 from my business account because they claimed I did not supply supporting evidence with a certain time frame which was never disclosed. On 3/10/2022 supporting documents were received by the support debit dispute division of US Bank address and contact numbers are not available. US Bank investigators hide from business owners at a level branch and business managers do not even know how to get ahold of these people.

On 3/18/2022 I received a phone call from Michelle at Payment Services ** a number you cannot call directly and was told by Michelle that my monies would not be returned because her hands were tied due to US Bank policy. Michele said anything further would need to be addressed to US Bank President Andy Cecere. I was given a post office box. After pressing Michelle for more information I confirmed that the address US Bank sent the information request to was missing the suite number.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

This has been an absolute nightmare that I have been dealing with for the past year. I returned my lease in January 2021. When I returned that car to the dealership, I returned it in perfect condition as it was only used to go to and from work. When I received my inspection report, I saw some very disturbing images. Someone had cracked the windshield and created other very visible damage to my car after I had returned it.

When I informed US Bank I was informed not to worry because all I needed to do was provide a letter from the dealership that stated that the car was returned by me in perfect condition without a broken windshield. These were not damages that were hidden as they were very visible because it was right in the middle of my windshield. I went to the dealership very irate because I did not understand what was happening. They informed me that they would provide me with a letter because they knew I returned the car without a cracked windshield.

While all of this is going on, representatives from U.S. Bank have continuously tried to convince me to pay money to cover fees which I have refused to do until the price was adjusted to the damages. Thankfully I didn’t because they informed me today that they will not be honoring the letter from the dealership or email provided (even though they told me they would) because these charges are from damages that were found. What am I supposed to do as a customer? I returned the car in perfect condition and after I did, damages magically appeared on the car. I do not mind paying whatever fees need to be paid but I will not be paying for something that has nothing to do with me.

What makes it even more aggravating is that I have to pay legal fees to get this situation fixed because they are also reporting this to my credit in the process. This seems to be a scam to get money from people because it then becomes a situation of your word against mine. I made every single loan payment on time and regularly and continue to be disheartened by this situation and the way this bank is handling it. The representatives are trained to continue to ask for money instead of targeting the problem. I have no problem paying for the fees and charges that are necessary but not for something I am being tricked into.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

The Go Card is a signature visa card which comes with a higher start credit limit and more perks than the basic and platinum cards. Have your roll of TP in hand when you get ready to go. I don't have an existing relationship with USB and don't plan to. I have a 1.01% APY checking account elsewhere and I'm not moving $100000+ to any of USB's corporate pockets just to get their Signature cards a $5000 CL notwithstanding. I see they're taking below 700 TUs tho.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

US Bank Company Information