Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

BOTTOM LINE

US Bank provides a range of banking services and products. Though its maintenance fees can be high, US Bank offers convenience and financial options at thousands of branch locations and an online banking app.

PROS

• Money market account options
    • More than 3,000 branches in 25 states
    • Free checking for students and seniors

CONS

• High overdraft and transfer fees
    • High requirements on free checking

Top US Bank Reviews

This bank is very reliable. Customer service is great. Online banking tools are fabulous. Whenever I had to call I got answer right away …

Ridiculous wait times on phone each time, no return calls as promised as well as condescending attitude from management. I would not recommend this bank to anyone …

What is US Bank?

US Bank is a commercial bank that provides checking and savings accounts, mortgage loans, insurance, wealth management and payment-service products. US Bank operates more than 3,000 branches and nearly 5,000 ATMs throughout the Midwest and West Coast. Through the US Bank mobile app, account holders can review statements, deposit checks, send money, pay bills, transfer funds and receive alerts about banking activity.

US Bank services

US Bank provides checking and savings accounts, CDs and more financial services.

US Bank checking accounts
        US Bank offers Easy Checking, Gold Checking, Platinum Checking, Student Checking and Safe Debit accounts. Monthly maintenance fees range from $6.95 to $24.95 but can be waived by maintaining a particular balance or depositing a certain amount into the account each month. Checking accounts come with online and mobile banking services, mobile deposit and access to thousands of ATMs and bank locations.
        US Bank savings accounts
        US Bank savings accounts come with online and mobile banking, digital statements, overdraft protection and account alerts. US Bank savings accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit and a monthly maintenance fee of $4.00. However, account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $300 or more do not have to pay the monthly fee. Consumers can apply to open a US Bank savings account online or in person.
        US Bank certificates of deposit
        US Bank certificates of deposit (CD) guarantee a fixed rate of return. Consumers can select terms ranging from one month to five years. A minimum deposit of $500 is required to open a US Bank CD account.
        US Bank credit cards
        US Bank currently offers eight different credit card options with annual fees ranging from $0 to $85. Select from cards with cash back rewards, low interest rates on balance transfers and new purchases, travel perks or cards specifically designed for small businesses. US Bank also provides secured credit cards.
        US Bank loans
        US Bank offers a variety of loans and lines of credit. US Bank’s personal loans have fixed interest rates and monthly payments. College students can apply for financing through US Bank’s student loans, which have flexible payment scheduling and deferment options. Customers can also apply for US Bank car loans and US Bank mortgage loans.
        US Bank money market account
        The US Bank money market account offers tiered interest rates that pay more for higher account balances. US Bank’s money market accounts require a $100 minimum opening deposit. Account holders get access to online and mobile banking, check-writing privileges, overdraft protection and digital statements. The $10 monthly maintenance fee is waived if the daily ledger balance is at least $10,000.

US Bank fees

US Bank charges fees based on the type of account and amount of funds maintained in the account each month. Additional fees are assessed for account holders who overdraft their accounts or opt to receive paper statements in the mail.

US Bank checking account fees
        US Bank’s checking account fees range from $0 to $24.95 per month, depending on the type of account. US Bank waives checking account fees under certain circumstances.
        • Student Checking account: US Bank doesn’t charge a monthly maintenance fee for Student Checking accounts.
        • Easy Checking account: The $6.95 monthly maintenance fee for Easy Checking accounts is waived if the combined monthly direct deposits total more than $1,000, the average account balance is $1,500 or the account holder is older than 65.
        • Gold Checking account: The $14.95 monthly maintenance fee for Gold Checking accounts can be waived if the account holder has an open US Bank credit card, personal loan or line of credit.
        • Platinum Checking account: The $24.95 monthly maintenance fees for Platinum Checking accounts can be waived if the combined personal deposits, credit balances or investments with US Bank total $25,000 or if the account holder has a personal trust relationship with US Bank Wealth Management.
        US Bank ATM fees
        There are no ATM fees or surcharges for making withdraws at any US Bank ATM or participating 7-Eleven store ATM. US Bank’s non-network ATM fees are $2.50 for domestic and international withdraws.
        US Bank overdraft fee
        US Bank charges a $36 daily overdraft fee per transaction. Accounts overdrawn by less than $5 don’t incur an overdraft fee.
        US Bank paper statement fee
        US Bank charges a $2 fee for each paper statement. You can avoid this fee by opting in to receive paperless statements.

US Bank FAQ

Where are US Banks located?
        There are nearly 3,000 US Bank locations, located primarily in the Midwest and on the West Coast. States with US Bank branches are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
        What is the US Bank checking account minimum balance?
        US Bank checking accounts must maintain a balance of at least $25.
        What is the US Bank savings account minimum balance?
        The minimum opening deposit for a US Bank savings account is $25.
        How much does it cost to open an account with US Bank?
        There is no cost to open an account with US Bank, but customers must make a minimum deposit of $25.00 to establish a checking or savings account.
        Is US Bank the same as US Bancorp?
        US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is the parent company of US Bank and its subsidiaries, US Bancorp Investments Inc. and US Bank Wealth Management.

Is US Bank a good bank?

US Bank provides free checking accounts for students and seniors, making it a smart option for consumers in college and those 65 or older. Because the bank has costly overdraft fees and high direct deposit requirements, consumers whose monthly paychecks are less than $1,500 might consider banking elsewhere.

US Bank Reviews

Original review: March 8, 2020

I have nothing but great things to say about US Bank home mortgage. I am satisfied with the customer service I have received and my mortgage as a whole. I had no problems refinancing from another company in which I had an arm rate to a fixed rate with US Bank.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I’ve been banking corporate and private for over 6 years with this awesome bank: US Bank!! Amazing services, the best customer service and I’ve had a lot of money in the past and now that I’m retired on a low fixed income - this bank shows me a touch of humanity as needed in overdrafts. They back out fees constantly wherever they can to help me... and with high balances or low they treat me equally and with respect! Excellent management style - very human... I recommend this bank to everyone. The easiest most efficient latest technology and totally safe! You must become a customer. You will love the experience! Best bank ever!!!!

GF

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I became a customer of this bank by attrition. They took over my previous bank. The transition was very smooth and their customer service reached out to me to assure I was comfortable with the change. My previous bank was a local entity. I was pleasantly surprised to find that US Bank had locations nationwide. This proved very convenient whenever I traveled. Using their online services is easy and, so far, very safe. The customer service reps are very friendly and always helpful when I have to go into the bank to transact business. Though I have very little money, they always make me feel that my business is just as important to them as their corporate customers.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I used a personal banker to help me get the best value! I was working and could not do all the value research so I would email him the vehicle details and he would tell me the real loan value! I went in and bought my car in an hour! The dealership had no idea how to react! Personal relationships are still the best way to go!

Original review: May 12, 2019

The loan process was the easiest we've ever gone through! We had loan 'assistants' who literally walked us through each step of the process, which was successful! US Bank is very customer friendly and it seems they almost hope for a problem, somewhere, so they can fix it! Bank staff are very friendly and are always willing to take the time to explain certain processes so that customers, like me, understand fully, and we appreciate that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: April 1, 2020

Coronavirus. I’m a disabled veteran and called US Bank to see if they would/could do something in these trying times. When other mortgage companies are agreeing to deferments, us bank will only do a forbearance. Really?! That does nothing for no one. Having to pay the money back at the end of the 90 days helps no one. Bailed out by our government and our tax money, but can’t help us out in times of need! I will refi with another company ASAP!

Original review: March 31, 2020

Somehow a credit card was issued and activated even though we never applied for it. I called the fraud department to make them aware of the fraudulently issued card. However, since I have no relationship with US Bank, I am not willing to give them any additional personal information than what they may already know. The first time I called (I was transferred to a 3rd person to get to the "right" person), we were at an impasse so the call ended. I decided I wanted to try again. This time, I was transferred to a 5th person to get to the "right" person. We got past the fact I did not want to provide additional information, but I wanted the person to deal with me.

As with other financial institutions, I've been able to get the named person to give permission to the agent to talk to me, but the US Bank agent wouldn't allow it... Therefore, we were at an impasse again, and the call ended. I am trying to help them out, but they really don't seem to care. I then sent an email, so we'll see if they do anything. Besides the fact it seems they have no process to handle a situation like this (and it is unlikely we are the only ones for whom US Bank issued cards without submitting an application), every time I was transferred to another person, I had to explain the situation from scratch to the new person. That means, in two calls, I explained it 8 times. If this is how inefficient they are in urgent matters regarding fraud, I can imagine what the rest of the bank is like.

Original review: March 26, 2020

US Bank, Where is your heart? The world is in an unstable state and families are stressed over their own personal situations. Almost every company under the heavens has reached out and provided/offered deferral options to its loan customers. After a 3 hours wait phone call, I was notified that all you could offer us was a forbearance option up to 6 months. The operator explained the full payment would then be expected at that time. If we dont have the money now, how in the world are you thinking we could come up with the 6 full payments. Im very disappointed in your company, and will be seeking a new mortgage lender once I get on my feet after losing my job due to COVID 19. Be ashamed.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have used this bank for 15 years. I've never had an account problem. I've had savings, checking, mortgage and car loans with them. They are easy to talk with. You can chat online or call. They have great service. I just wish they were in Texas, as I moved here.

Original review: March 25, 2020

They would rather lose a customer after at least 10 years over a 100.00. I tried to work it out with them but they insist that they will not help out and remove the fee they put on my checking account. I guess I close my accounts and move on.

US Bank Company Information