US Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I'm a small beauty business in Los Angeles. I've had Wells Fargo Merchant services for over 10 years. Wells Fargo charge have excessive merchant fees. I wanted to save money for my small business for credit card fees. So I was referred to The Poynt system powered by Elavon Bank. Which you purchase for the best credit card rates at 1.99% on all cards including American Express /Discover.

However, when I first sign up by the rep. Andrew ** Elavon rep he didn't specify all that was needed for me to complete the process of my new credit card machine and paperwork. He failed to tell me that there was paperwork. Which he told me on a recorded call, that he got busy and forgot to tell me. Well, I didn't want to lease this Poynt credit card Poynt machine. I wanted to purchase it with the low rate of $800.

Over the course of 3 months which ** explained to me. It would be $316. Each month starting September 1st. Well as of 8/31/2017 I was charged $1233.90 auto payment out of my business checking account! I called when I saw the amount pending and my bank Wells Fargo said I couldn't do dispute the charge yet until the amount posted. Well I called Elavon Bank and they said after several days of frustration that they will refund my money back which was well over the amount of the machine of $800. That was offered to me.

It's been over almost another month of calling daily and I still haven't received my refund back yet. I then went online and many reviews said that this Elavon Bank consistently auto deducts payments out of customers business accounts. I'm terrified due to this being my livelihood and I have my monthly budgeted businesses expenses that comes out daily and monthly. This $1233.90 was a huge hit to my account when I only budgeted and expected $316. For the month should of only been deducted!!

I don't know who to turn to. I called both banks to try to rectify this situation. Elavon Bank continues to give me the runaround. You can't get no one on the phone when you're busy business owner. I have a email thread and their wording thru keep using is: we "requested" a refund. When they were fraudulent to auto deduct an unauthorized amount out of my acct. no one wants to be accountable for this. I need my hard working money in my account to run my business.

Please someone help. It's been since August 31 and it's now Sept 18th. I can be contacted via email. Elavon Bank is consistently doing this with small businesses. It's affecting my bottom line for my working capital expenses. I've called them and email every day! They keep stalling and giving me the runaround. If I close my business Account that I had for over 10 years, my expenses will snowball and will be off to pay my expenses. I shouldn't have to do that. I'm afraid they will continue to deduct payments from my Acct. This is wrong and was unauthorized according to the recorded phone calls. No one wants to be accountable for their actions. And Andrew ** dropped his responsibility to help me as the customer!

I recently decided to finance my basement remodel project and went to Lending Tree. Immediately I received a call from US Bank describing all of the options for a HELOC. I began the application process without any concern as my credit score is 824 and my salary is substantial and I have very little debt. I applied for a HELOC of $25,000. I had just had an appraisal done for a mortgage refinance 1 month prior but they would not accept it. The home was valued at $240,000 and my current loan had a balance of $187,000. I was looking at the HELOC with up to 90% LTV. I received an email with a request for multiple documents and completed the request that same day. The loan officer assigned to me was Jeffrey ** per the name at the bottom of the email.

I called 2 weeks later to see if anything was missing and what the next steps were. I was told that I was going to have a "desktop appraisal" done, and not an actual appraisal where my house is actually visited. Another 2 weeks passed. I called and asked if anything had progressed and the lady on the phone said that my appraisal had just been completed the night before and she was sure Jeffrey ** would be calling me, but she could tell me that my appraisal came in a $225,000 so there was not enough equity to support my request. I was stunned and asked how that possibly could be the value and she said that there weren't enough comparables. My actual appraiser the month prior said he had an abundance of comparables.

I asked when I would be contacted and what I could do about this and she said that she would put in an urgent request for Jeffrey ** to contact me to discuss options for an in home appraisal, especially since I also just put in 2 large egress windows in my basement since that appraisal. Another week went by and I called again, needing to leave a message for Jeffrey ** to call me back. Again no callback. Today I received a letter stating I have been denied credit as I do not have enough equity. It is not signed by anyone, just Consumer Lending Division. I have never dealt with a more unprofessional and incompetent company before. They lost a very good customer (potential) and I am now so far behind in the project planning that I will need to switch contractors in order to get this done before the end of the year. I wonder if Jeffrey ** is a real person.

Today, I made a car purchase and I needed to use this bank in order to do a cash advance. Mind you, I have an account with US Bank but I never use it. I only opened it because of the area I previously resided in at the time and the discount I would get for opening an account as a veteran. The teller was very nice, and welcoming. But the issue more so lies with the manager who was present during the ordeal. The manager wasn't friendly, and didn't speak. I thought it was very rude that he also kept watching my account on the teller's computer. He would continuously glare and watch me but wouldn't speak or be courteous.

The teller was very friendly. The manager whose name is David ** was just not professional at all. I realized that the bank area that I was in mostly catered to more upper-class individuals but that doesn't give people a reason to feel more superior as opposed to that particular individual. Never have I felt so small, hopefully someone else won't feel the same way I did. This all occurred in the Sartell, MN US Bank.

Working with U.S. Bank has been a nightmare. My wife and I have been working with a local mortgage company to buy a home and we were supposed to close back on July 6th. However, we have not been able to close because we are waiting on U.S. Bank to clear the title from the sellers. The local title company we are working with, and the agents associated to them, have not been able to do anything since U.S. Bank have begun to refuse phone calls from them! My wife is one week from our baby's due date and working with our current landlord is hard as he is trying to get someone to take occupancy when we leave, but U.S. Bank doesn't care about those things. To them, we are just another case number on their desk. They don't care about the stress this has put on my pregnant wife or the fact that we are almost 2 months late on closing because the U.S. Bank and their attorneys won't get the documents pushed to clear.

Because they refuse to talk to us or our agents about getting the documents completed and pushed through the necessary departments, we have to voice our concerns publicly. Unfortunately, that may be the only way to get the attention we need to get these documents completed for us to close on our house. I understand there are many departments within this large conglomerate, but the way we have been treated in this process has been miserable. I sincerely hope that no one has experiences like this with U.S. Bank.

U.S. Bank is awful. They could care less about their customers, unless you are a Huge depositor. We have been with them for about 25 years, and are still treated like crap. They could care less about your problems or issues that come up, unless you have lots of money, or are a local celeb. Then it's a different story. I have several issues with that bank. First, we have been trying for over 3 years to get a lower interest rate on our homeowner's loan, & we've had 2 different branch managers TELL US that we are paying U.S. Bank WAY TOO MUCH interest, but before either of them could help us, they would either quit or be transferred to a different branch.

I've tried to find out where either one went, but no one seems to want to tell us. Although I just spoke to a branch manager (David) at Western Hills who seemed to show a little more compassion, to try and help, so he'll probably be gone as soon as corporate finds out that he's actually trying to be helpful to regular customers. Plus if God forbid you have an overdraft, you had better make a deposit THAT day, or YOU WILL get slapped with a $35.00 overdraft fee.

Other banks (PNC, Huntington...) AT LEAST give you 24 hours to make your account right, but not good old U.S. Bank. Nope. You have to make a deposit that day! Example. My husband's check is direct deposited, and has been for years, on June 29 we had something go through, and of course we got charged with an overdraft fee, even though my husband's check showed up in our account THAT SAME DAY AFTER MIDNIGHT, and they could see that it was going to be there. It didn't matter to them. We got hit with that fee. It's worse than dealing with loan sharks. At least with loan sharks you know going in what to expect! U.S Banks are just bloodsuckers. My advice is to bank ANYWHERE ELSE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

We opened a small business with credit. Were told we could get an FFE Loan and then we used some credit and they said no dude loan as we used some credit and our small business is on the edge of BK because they charge us 30% interest and bank fees. Their practices should be illegal.

I've banked at US Bank or its predecessors for nearly 40 years. They have convenient locations around Omaha as well as plenty of ATMs. Also, they have ATM locations where I usually travel. They offer a great no-foreign transaction fee credit card. The people are always friendly and helpful.

I use US BANK BECAUSE WITH MY DIRECT DEPOSIT THERE IS NO MONTH CHARGE LIKE OTHER BANKS. Easy to use online banking. I pay all my bills online and being able to deposit checks via my cell phone with out traveling to the bank.

We love the personal service that we get from the Idaho branch that we use. The LA branch is not so good. The manager seems to be the problem and makes us go through hoops every time we have to do something. It is a branch in LA but it is in an area where it is like a small town where everyone knows one another. We keep the account because of the Idaho branch and excellent online service.

They have long hours, including weekends. Their ATMs accept stacks of checks for deposit and they have online bill pay. Of course, like all banks today they give very low interest on your money.

I've never been happier with a bank. Every single individual I've had the pleasure to deal with, for whatever reason, whether in person, over the phone, or online has been extremely pleasant, knowledgeable, and more than willing, when needed, to go out of their way. I have a checking account which charges absolutely nothing as a "maintenance fee" each month, and, even though I had zero credit, I was given a credit card with a healthy charge limit, thereby then being able to establish a stellar credit rating.

The staff is always positive and are more than willing to make you feel appreciated for doing business with them. They go the extra mile to notify you of services that are no charge making it more convenient to do your banking.

I have banked at US Bank for over 20 years. The interest rates are the best and the apps they have are state of the art. They have been great and customer service is the best!

I've had my account with US Bank since 1988 and have never had an issue or problem with my account. The customer service has been very good and I would not even hesitate to recommend the bank to anyone.

Great customer service. Managers and tellers always acknowledge you by name and are actually helpful in a culture of robots/you're just a number institute.

Trustworthy institution. Many branches all over the country which is good for ATM service. Our local branch has great people that we have a good rapport with.

My loan was sold to US Bank also. I have never been late, and always pay extra early and extra amount. I've had this loan sold to them for about 5 years, along the way there has always been issues trying to escrow and everything correct. I won't go into all of those mishaps. The most recent really irritated me because I have had my account to auto pay monthly. I set my auto to make more than the payment then we going to start bi- weekly payments starting the same time with being a full payment ahead starting the same day. I sent it all up through my checking auto pay account. I call US bank to inform and confirm my upcoming way of bi weekly payments. The gentlemen I spoke with told me that US Bank doesn't accept non-full payments.

I explain it's not non full, I'm a payment ahead and just deciding to start on bi-weekly. He says "well, if you'd let me finish", (uuugghh). They won't post payment until it is full. I respond I mean an extra payment ahead, the payment is in full and bi would be also with 2 weeks early. I had to just laugh and get off phone. I'm very unhappy with them and wished another company would buy out my home loan.

I've been a US Bank customer for 17 years. I went to the bank on 6/1/17 and applied for a home equity line of credit. I supplied all the information that was required and was told that the loan would take from 4 - 6 weeks to happen. They were suppose to get an appraisal on my home and have it back on 6/16/17, so I contacted the bank on 6/21 to find out how the appraisal went and where we were on the loan. Found out on 6/21 that the appraisal wasn't ordered so it was going to be up to 7/12 before the appraisal would be done. I had informed the bank on 6/21 that my builder was starting and I need to get this sorted as I need to be paying him.

I had an appraisal done 6 months and 15 days before that but they wouldn't use that because it was over 6 months. So, I kept asking the bank and phoning people to find out what we could do, because this was very upsetting to me and stressing me out. Then I get the news from the bank that they have to do a full appraisal which won't be done until July 19th. So, I've been trying to find money to pay the builder so I can keep him working. During this time, I've gone over the guy's head to his boss and told his boss that work has started on my house, and that I wasn't very happy with the service I was receiving. Also, the lady at my locate bank sent them an e-mail in June to tell them how upset I was and informed them that my builder has started work on my home. I continued to wait to get the call that I needed to go to the bank to sign the papers for my loan, except that didn't happen.

On 7/19/17 I get an e-mail that they will not give me the loan because construction had started on my home and they would give me the loan after the construction was completed. The amount of the loan I was requiring was over $60,000. I don't know where they thought I was going to get that kind of money to complete my construction because if I had that money, I wouldn't be getting a loan. SO, now I have my house with construction started and no loan. I'm at the point of a nervous breakdown at this point and US bank could care less. I went to a local bank in my town and they were happy to give me a loan within a week. So, now after 17 years of business with US Bank, I'm closing out all my accounts and moving them to a bank that cares. I just hope no one else has to deal with this kind of experience.

We applied for a Veteran's Home Loan on June 5, 2017. Unfortunately, nearly 2 months later, we still don't have the loan. The mortgage originator ran our credit and collected all required documents. She even ran a "mini" underwriting to be safe. We have never encountered the issues that came next. First, the processor contacted us to say that she would keep us up-to-date. Never happened. Then she lost several documents multiple times. She's still losing them today. We managed to get to underwriting the first time without issue. Then the processor became involved again. She lost documents again, multiple times. We were told repeatedly by the originator who stayed involved to make sure we went through that there were no issues. The processor never contacted us. We informed her repeatedly that she didn't correctly fill out the IRS transcript request.

Instead she sent it through three times and we wasted two weeks and passed our first closing date because she refused to communicate with us or the originator. At that point, we got management involved. Two to be exact. We were then promised that the situation would be corrected, we signed a new transcript request and were told that it would be rush ordered. Two days later, we find out that it wasn't submitted...let alone rush ordered...because, guess what, the processor is the same, incompetent, and unprofessional person as before. She lost the document again! How is this person still employed? Why do the managers lie? Why is everyone promising one thing while not delivering on any of it?

Managing customer expectations is a huge part of good customer service. If you tell me that there is nothing you can do and something will take X amount of time, then I'll be angry, but accept your word as truth. However, when I find out you lied and promised something that you cannot control nor complete, then I'm pissed off. We've now lost our contract, our deposit, and other out-of-pocket expenses due to their incompetence. This is our fourth mortgage loan and we've never had an issue closing before, but we never dealt with US Bank either. If I could give them a zero...I would. Good luck and God bless to any poor, unsuspecting fool who applies for a home loan with these people.

My account had switched over from Bank Of America and I had never missed a payment with them. When the account switched over to US Bank, I had requested an autopayment setup. The woman I spoke with was sending a form because I was not able to set up an online account. The form never arrived. I made the next payment over the phone and again asked for an autopay form. This one arrived, and I filled it out and sent it in. The next month I received a call from US Bank that my payment was late. When I called US Bank and talked to someone there they said the autopay form had not been entered. She also stated that the payment had not been logged as a credit issue. I paid again via phone and asked for another autopayment form. This form never arrived. I gave up on autopayment with US Bank and instead pay by phone every month.

I have made all the payments to US Bank as I do with everything else. Then I noticed a late payment on my credit report from US Bank from June 2016. When I called and talked to someone they agreed that it was a mistake and said send in a letter which I did. Checking my credit today, the late payment was still there. I called US Bank and talked to a rep who told me it was logged as correct with the credit bureau so apparently US Bank will not fix their mistake here. This problem was engineered by US Bank and should not rest on my shoulders. Shame on you US Bank. I've never been so misled or mistreated by a bank in my life. US Bank wishes to play ball. I am posting this on every media source I can to stay away from US Bank.

US Bank has been our Bank for the past 20 plus yrs. Today, July 21, 2017, I had the worst experience with customer service regarding info below: we use our debit card... it was declined due to a so called levy garnishment from a law firm named Gamache and Myers, unbeknownst to me. No common courtesy call from US Bank, no legal paperwork indicating we owed anyone. Long story short, the garnishment was fraudulent, and illegal, and US Bank charged a $100 fee for the illegal attempt to clean out our entire account.

US Bank has taken all day, and still hasn't allowed us access to our account knowing they were in the wrong (it is now 3:02 pm, Friday afternoon), due to our protest in them NOT refunding our $100. Even though our account will sooner, or later be unfrozen, due to illegal activity, the US Bank will keep our $100!! Needless to say I will never refer anyone to this Bank, and am researching a new Bank. We've been thinking, for several years, about moving to a different banking institution, now they've pushed us to do it.

I recently opened a US Bank Harley Davidson credit card. Through their own admission my personal information was compromised via their online services. That person then changed my account email address and billing address, and opened a checking acct at a US Bank somewhere in IL in my name and transferred money from the card to the checking account. At that point I requested that the information be changed back to what it was when I opened the acct. and please close everything in my name associated with US Bank, including the bogus checking account.

One week later I called to confirm my requests and none of them had been completed, in fact my last billing statement was actually mailed to the person who stole my information and changed my acct information. One month later, I received a letter today stating I was responsible for the cash transfer as I benefited from the transfer. How? Why? One of your reps admitted the information was obtained through your online services. I am now figuring out how to file a complaint with the BBB and at Consumerfinance.gov.

I received a Master Card from my grandfather when I was thirteen. I am fifteen now and very frugal when it comes to spending money. I will only buy something that I truly want. Recently I tried to make a purchase using my gift card and realized that the U.S. Bank had deducted twenty dollars off my card due to inactivity for twelve months or more. It is too bad that I did not notice the warning they put on the back. This frustrated me very much. My mom and dad taught me to save money. It is disappointing that I got punished for doing so. In the future I hope for a fairer banking system and my twenty dollars back!

I would like to share my experience with U.S. Bank ReliaCard with anyone that will listen. This card will steal your money. I return an item that I purchased from Amazon. Amazon returned my money to U.S. ReliaCard and U.S. ReliaCard did not give me my money. They actually made me file a dispute and now I have to wait 180 days for them to figure out if they're going to give me my money which is a refund from Amazon. I will not recommend sticking with this card at all as they will do anything they can to keep your money... Also had another experience where someone stole my bank card number. Not the actual physical card but just the number off of it. Also had to file another dispute for that. That took months and months to get my money back on that one.

This company will stick you in customer service hell. Have you been on hold 30 minutes at a time and then have a child answer your call that doesn't have any answers for you. The operators that answer your call at first are only trained to do very small things like check your bank account balance and reset your pin. If you need anything else more than just basic service you're going to wait for hours on hold for a supervisor that probably doesn't know anything either. Why would I have to file a dispute to get back my money the Amazon already refunded to ReliaCard? I gave them a transaction number and everything the young lady that I spoke to on the phone didn't know anything that she was doing. She had to ask a supervisor about everything placed me a hold about five times... Will I ever get my money back from ReliaCard. Time will only tell.

I opened my account on June 5, 2017, Ashley ** was the banker who opened the account. She never told me about a New Customer Hold On Check Deposited. On June 30, 2017 I deposited my payroll check with Ashley ** the check was from a large local business in Carson City. The payroll check was for $789,50, I took $100 in cash and deposited the balance of $689.50. After making the deposit I went to United Federal Credit Union to make my car payment of $303.35. I tried to use my debit card for the payment, but it was declined. I called Ashley by phone and asked her why was my debit card declining. She told me I had immediate use of $200 on the debit card and the balance would clear at midnight. So I wrote a check to pay my car payment after being assured by Ashley that all my funds would be credited after midnight of June 30th and available on July 1st.

On Monday July 3rd I checked my online account and saw that $489.50 was on hold and not available for use. I went to the bank and spoke with Luis a bank teller, who assured me that on July 5th all my funds would be available to me, because my account would be open for 30 days and the hold would drop off and that he would leave a message for Alexander ** to call me on the morning of July 5th to make sure there was not going to be any problem with my car payment check.

At 4:30 PM on July 5th, Alex ** called me and told me he decided to let my car payment check bounce, because my account was in the first 30 days. However, it seems pretty funny that according to the Manager I only had availability of $200 of the amount deposited, because my account was in the 30 days. However, I took $100 cash back from the deposit and still had the $200 available, which shows that Ashley had no idea about the 30 day hold on my account and that only $200 should have been available.

The bank's advertising literature and brochures promoting their bank account do not have any mention of the New Account Hold and I was never given any notice at the time of opening my account of the hold. Furthermore, when I requested all the forms I signed when opening my account Alex did not provide a form disclosing the New Account Hold and told me I would have to subpoena the records.

Under truth in advertising the brochures and literature they provide concerning bank checking accounts should have contained all the terms, including the New Account Terms and Holds of Deposits. None of the brochures they provide even mention the New Account Deposit Hold. which is misleading and lead me to believe I could deposit my check without worries. Naturally, if I had of been aware of the Hold I would have never paid my car payment with a check. I feel I have been taken advantage of with unnecessary NSF fees and additional fees to my payees for the checks bouncing. This has caused me embarrassment, stress and hurt my reputation in the Community. If I do not get satisfaction I will file a suit for actual damages and punitive damages too.

Have had my account for going on two years. The entire time my check was direct deposited at the exact same time I wrote out my rent check and dropped it off knowing my payroll would be going in in the morning. When I took out my account I signed a paper stating that I opted in to have all paper checks approved and I would face any overdraft fees.

In the middle of the night both my direct deposit and my rent check show up. They process the rent check and decline it then they deposit my direct deposit. I find this at 6 am call the customer service line speak to a customer service manager 'Romona' who is Honestly the best employee I've ran into at the company. She explains I need to go in to the branch where I opened my account, and I was there right after they opened at 9 am. Spoke to the assistant manager who said the manager was the only one who could handle this. He stated she was not there. He didn't know where she was and that she might not be in till 12 am.

Long story short by noon when they said it needed to be done she could not accomplish it. They charged me a fee along with the $100 my landlord charged me. The manager of this branch is uncaring and unprofessional at one of my visits asking for a discount on her personal furniture from my work. Needless to say I will be moving my accounts to a new bank. Save your time and energy go bank somewhere else!

This company, US BANK will not ask if you want to renew your membership. They will send you an invoice directly and charge you interests. Very bad practice and very tempted to get a lawyer involved. They will continue to charge you interest until you renew the card. They told me I should close the account in order to cancel this subscription. I think closing a credit card account is bad for the credit score and that is why I don't want to do it. Bottom line, unlike American Express who will send a letter asking the customer if they want to renew their card prior to billing you, US BANK charges you directly. I find that very very shady, hence my complaints. They bill you instead of asking you if you want to renew first, then charge you the fee + interests. Very bad practices and I hope actions will be taken against these unacceptable practices.

When I first signed up for this horrible service bank, I was told one thing, although my paperwork said another... Then, find out many over payments later was that they were charging me for an account I had not used yet and they never told what I had to do to change that until several bank visits and several phone calls. The branch manager said he would pay half of the charges when I should not have been charged at all considering what I was told when I opened this account. Now, they are not suppose to charge fees because I did what they said about opening a credit card and lo and behold, they are still charging me fees. I have to constantly call for them to stop and credit me.

This most recent episode was that they withdraw a certain amount claiming it was deposited in error (Unfortunately, I am having a memory issue and cannot remember my deposits). So they went ahead and withdraw it without any paperwork proof of the error. I had a branch assistant from the corporate office investigate and she found them to be correct in their decision (again no paperwork to proof any of this). Yet there is paperwork to proof the deposit. There was a deposit slip (why on earth would a rep write a deposit slip in error). Yet, she said in order for me to get that withdrawal back, I would have to give them proof of a check and/or cash... yet, they don't have to provide any proof of any kind withdraw the monies. Please advise!

I have my auto pay set to send checks for payment on the 1st of each month to coincide with incoming pay. When the pay comes in on a Saturday they delay till Monday and set check to pay on Friday sending the account into overdraft. Then on Saturday the account shows payment for the 3rd on and the check for the 30th. Just a way for them to get the account to overdraft and make them $35 plus any other overdrafts that it may cause. Ripple effect. Be wary of the scams they pull... Won't be my bank for much longer. In the process of finding someone new. They used to pull another similar scam of taking money before deposit showed again causing overdraft fees. Just a new method to their madness.

I have been a US Bank customer for over 20 years and recently I have been unemployed and unable to pay my bills as a result. I have had auto pay bills that somehow gone through and I was overcharged with overdraft fees and additional fees on top of that. When I got my tax refund from the federal government, they took half of the check and, as a result, when I tried paying my bills, checks were returned. During the month of May, I have had my checks electronically deposited and they took the entire check leaving me penniless so I couldn't pay my bills. Now they have closed my account saying that I had too many returned checks. They left me with no money so how could I pay my bills. This bank stinks and I will have nothing to do with it ever again. As far as I am concerned, they're thieves.

US Bank Company Profile