1.18/5
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

State Farm Bank

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

97 State Farm Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

Opened account two weeks ago and no one can help me login. I called to close account. They wanted account number to transfer funds back to me, I don't think so. Why would I trust you with my bank account and you cant even help me login to your own bank website? Stay with insurance, everyone cannot do everything.

Original review: June 27, 2018

An automatic charge of $5 went on my State Farm Credit card. I was not aware of it. The statements got lost in my email. After about 3 months, I received a letter from State Farm that my account was closed and I owe $102.72. I was going out of town and I paid the full amount of $102.72 without calling State Farm. State Farm owed me $53.68 in reward points. When my insurance bill came in I tried to access the reward points and found it was 0. I called State Farm and was told that it was forfeited. I, therefore, paid State Farm $150 fees for $5. Why couldn't State Farm use the $53.68 to cover the $5 that was owed? I had State Farm insurance on home and car since 1985. It looks like it is time for me to fire State Farm Insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have been with State Farm for 47 years and State Farm Bank for 18. No problems till Feb 5, 2018 when I tried to make a payment by phone. A lady took my debit card number and she was not supposed to. By the end of that month they suspended my card and I called again and the lady took my checking account number and routing number from my personal check and said she had all the info she needed. I had two verification numbers from both calls. March rolls around and I find out they haven't received a payment from my bank. A letter was sent March so I called again and once again they copied the information needed from my personal check.

Later I find out that they copied all the information wrong on their end because a supervisor told me they had 3 sets of wrong numbers that did not match my checking account. I go to my State Farm Insurance Agent and they called about the matter. My agent gave them the info needed from my personal checking account and 2 days later they got their money. But that did not stop them from putting me on a credit file and reducing my credit score! I have paid my car insurance and Visa on time for many years and they do this to an old customer. And yes, I disputed the matter by letter and they told me it was my fault. Not theirs. But who copies the information by phone? If I knew what my next option was I go to an attorney and sue.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Today (04/07/2018) I try to log in to my online account. I log in every day due to this bank is not located in my state. So I have to do all my baking online. When I try to log in it said that my password was incorrect. I recheck my password and again it told me that was incorrect. So, I try the "I forgot my password". I try changing my password and it told me that there was a technical error. To call 877-734-2265. The rep stated to me that back in September last year they couldn't make an ID when I called so they lock my account. I told the lady that I didn't call. She said that she can't do anything that I need it to go to a State Farm office and have them ID Me. I told her they don't have a bank here. This is why I do all my banking on the internet.

She said that I could go to a State Farm insurance to have them ID me, by showing ID card and they will call to confirmed. I told her that my account could be hack and I have to wait till Monday. I told her that by then I wouldn't have anything in my account. She kept apologizing. I told her that her apologies will not help me get access to my account. Who in the world lock my account back in September and why I wasn't told about it? Why I was able to get to my account yesterday and I can't now? Now I can't get to my account at all, because my car is down and I can't get to a state farm agent office. Please whoever is reading this... DON'T BANK WITH STATE FARM.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I withdrew money from my Roth IRA on Tuesday, March 20th. I asked what the fastest way to get it as I knew my bank account was in bad shape if I didn't get that check by Friday. The woman I spoke with said the could FedEx the check for an additional $15, which I relented to. She said I would get the check at the latest on Friday, BECAUSE IT WAS BEING FEDEXED. Friday came and went with no check. So Saturday, I get something from State Farm, which I thought was just a statement, but turns out it was the check from my Roth IRA. I looked and saw on the statement that yes, I was charged for the $15, yet it came through standard mail in a regular State Farm envelope, NOT IN A FEDEX envelope. I tried to deposit said check via mobile deposit to my bank.

I knew my bank account was already in trouble and was already in the negative, but I was just happy I finally got the check. Not only did it not go through, I was charged a $30 fee for a returned check. So I called my bank and because whoever printed it out also included ROTH IRA in between my name and address, my bank would not accept the check unless I set up a ROTH IRA with that bank. So as of just know when I check my bank account, it's negative -$481.

I called at 11 am to talk to someone about this. Linda, the woman I spoke with, was kind at first, but that facade quickly faded. She argued with me that the check really was FedExed (I have a photo of the State Farm regular envelope it showed up in) and that it wasn't their fault that my bank account is negative. She said they could re-send a check that would not have ROTH IRA in pay to the order line, but it would take a couple days. I told her I needed that money immediately sent to bank account. She said that I would have to fax a voided check.

The whole reason I'm having to take money from my retirement is because I'm bed-ridden, due to vertigo and I don't have any sick days. She rudely told me she would call me back in a hour. 3 hours later, I still haven't gotten a call. In fact I called her back and whoever I spoke with said she was on the phone and would call me right back. I have no money right now. Actually it's worse because I'm in the hole -$481 because of you guys. I've been a customer for 20 years. This is not ok. PLEASE DO YOUR FREAKING JOB and get me my money in my bank account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I asked for a credit line increase and was turned down, (my scores are 760 to 780). I was told that State Farm has their own scoring system called Horizon (not sure if I have that correct), my score with them is 623. Asked if I could review it, was told no. I said there must be an error on the report. In a polite way I was told nothing could be done. That should not be allowed. I have had my auto and homeowners ins, with them for over 40 yrs.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

There has not been much, if any, good experiences I’ve had with this bank. The app is constantly down, their ATMs where you can deposit are never working and when you call to tell them that, they don’t seem to care at all. The customer service is beyond horrible. Whoever you talk to just seems like they want to transfer you elsewhere. I had a car loan payment withdrawn from my account two months in a row and the car has been sold for over a year. Not sure how that even happens. The supervisor that I spoke to hung up on me when I told him his bank was horrible. Just not a great place to bank. When I told the customer service agent I wanted to close my account all she told me was, "Ok, just stop using the account and thank you." It was just a normal occurrence for someone to want out with them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Due to some medical reasons I found myself in default with an auto loan. I called State Farm and was making arrangements to pay full balance off. First off they are extremely rude and treat you like you've committed a capital crime, even though I'm calling to pay them with my bank ATM over the phone. They want cash money deposited into Western Union, mind you we live in a part of town that you are not gonna walk around with 100 dollars in your pocket let alone $4000.00 dollars. I don't understand in this day and age of technology why a multi-million dollar company is not willing to take an ATM payment. I am gonna pay off my loan and do not ever want to have to do business with State Farm again. I'm canceling my insurance with them as well and will be telling anyone and everyone of my experience.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

After paying off a motorcycle loan I had with State Farm Bank I inquired about a new loan for a newer motorcycle with fewer miles. Since my original loan my credit score has drastically improved. Improper collection reporting has been corrected. No late payments. I was assured by the bank my past loan wouldn’t be taken into account when applying for a new loan.

Well the terms that were clearly stated in print were changed in the banks counteroffer. Counteroffer? Yes a counteroffer by the bank. The amount requested was after I got the dealer to come down in the asking price by 2,000 and now the bank wants me to put down 1;600 to get the motorcycle. This is more than I was required to put down on the first loan with bad credit. I would avoid using this bank for a legitimate loan. Too shady and deceptive. They clearly stated at first a 2013 vehicle could be financed for 72 months. Well, that changed to 60 months. My credit is good enough to get a new motorcycle with no down payment.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

This company can preapprove for a mortgage, give you a list of info they want and after you pay their “vendor fee”, ask for more information that gets a little personal. We didn’t like how the processes were going and backed out after the appraisal. Just got a letter in the mail saying we “didn’t have sufficient funds to continue”. No we thought you were beyond dumb in your process. I have bought 8 houses through different lenders and State Farm is by far the worst. I will not even let them keep our car insurance after this. They should give up on financial and stick to insurance.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

From the time I cancelled my Homeowners Insurance when they tried to double the rates on me, they have been trying to scam me. They cannot give a TRUE principal balance on my house because they can't give a correct Amortization, they add in "house inspection fees," do NOT credit payments, give escrow amounts then change them, issue Escrow checks then deduct them back, issue new statements showing past due amounts before they credit the monthly payments to make them look like they are not being paid, decide they are not taking payments and send them back to try to Foreclose.

NOW they have called my Homeowners Ins. Co and told them my house is vacant and being foreclosed on, so that my Homeowners is threatening to cancel us. Furthermore the Homeowners Insurance came out of my Escrow that they have. There MUST be a way to sue this crooked company for the stress, lies, unethical practices that are going on here, I have one Federal Judgement already that they did not abide by from last year!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I had an auto loan from State Farm Bank. They kept messing up. One month they forgot to pull the auto payment, then they were pulling too little. Each time they messed up, I paid the price in late fees. Then, on May 24th they automatically withdrew my payment, as normal. On June 1st they pulled it again, 23 days early, and overdrafted my account. They held me responsible and closed my checking account. In July I had a total loss of my vehicle. My insurance handled its portion and Payment Protector handled all but a few hundred. While shopping for replacement vehicle, my credit score mysteriously dropped. I finally found out that State Farm Bank listed my account as "consumer deceased". Now I am about to lose my home, all credit cards, flossing out on finishing school, and losing my job. I identify as a deceased person anywhere I go. I may be alive, but State Farm Bank killed my identity.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Opened a loan with State Farm Bank 12 mos ago. Biggest rip-off ever. Paid 1500 extra towards principal and they applied it to interest only - 3 phone calls to try to fix but without a true explanation. Was told there was nothing they could do - like a good neighbor stay over there.

Original review: May 9, 2017

They give you a grace period of 10 days so if you pay on a Saturday and it says you pay on a Saturday but yet they charge you a late fee. Also I have 2 payments left on my car and NEVER asked for a payoff then they have the nerve after I just paid taxes. Mind you with two payments left they will turn me over to collections. Haha. Don't threaten me when you are charging people late payments and they pay it on time. That fraud. So my advice is do not get this bank or insurance. They are horrible. The customer service girl's name was Dana. So rude...

Original review: April 22, 2017

State Farm Bank repossessed my car for missing 2 payments 3 yrs. ago. After I paid the car off now I have to pay $3000 in fees to get it back. No one got in touch with me to let me know about these payments or I would have sent them off asap. STATE FARM BANK treat their customer should very poorly.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I opened an auto policy for two of my vehicles and noticed that State Farm had banking services. I applied for a checking account online and when filling out the application, I entered my physical address and there was a message that popped up that stated my address was invalid and instructed me to input a valid address. I entered my address repeatedly. Finally I opted to use my daughter in law's address but used my mailing address when prompted to enter a mailing address. I figured it's a valid mailing address so I will receive mail through my post office box number. I would then go into a State Farm Office and correct the address to mine. I opened the account with 50.00. I also received a statement confirming the balance in the account was 50.00.

Well they mailed a debit card and pin to my daughter in law's address and nothing to my mailbox. I specified that I had a mailing address that they just ignored. When I received the card I went online and activated the card with all prompts and it was confirmed that the card was ready for use. I went into a merchant's store tried to use the card for a 19.00 purchase and it declined. I called the customer service and they said I need to verify my address. I had an automobile registration for one of my cars with my physical address and my DL that had my mailing address on it and went into my local State Farm office and my agent verified and sent in the copies to verify my address. When I called to find out if it was verified, the customer service agent told me that I needed to have my social security card and a written letter as to what my address was sent in.

So I went back into State Farm and had my agent fax that over, then I called again to see if it was verified. They told me that it still wasn't and that I needed to send in one more piece of mail with my physical address on it, or utility bill. My utilities are included in my rent and everyone that I do business with that needs to send me mail uses my P.O. Box number. This is ridiculous and I should have never ever opened this account. I asked if that was the last thing they needed and then I asked when after they receive this will I be able to use my account. They told me that they are backed up and it will take several business days to release the hold on my account. I opened this account on the 1st of April and I received the ATM card a week later. They took almost a month and my going to State Farm three times on three different days and are unable to service my account because they are backed up?

Probably because they are looking for more information to learn how to run a successful banking business. I am closing this account after I retrieve my fifty dollars. These people need to stick to auto insurance. I'm not too happy with Jake at State Farm, he's got no business talking to anyone that late at night anyways. DO NOT OPEN ANY BANKING SERVICES With STATE FARM, you'll regret it!

Original review: April 18, 2017

Approximately, 17 years ago, I purchased a CD from State Farm Bank. The CD acquired interest rate per year, which meant that I did not get a good return on my CD. So, approximately 4 years ago to gain more interest on my CD I contacted SF bank and locked my CD into a three year commitment; thereby, obtaining a better interest rate. I received a statement approximately 6 months later on my CD and noticed that my request for a change (the three year commitment) was never incorporated. I contacted SF Bank and inquired as to why my request was not updated. A SF representative stated that SF bank was unable to contact me. Since, 9/11 banks have demanded complete information from customers regarding deposits into the banking system. Despite that SF bank had my email address, my home phone number, my mailing address, my physical home address, and my cell phone number SF bank alleged that it was unable to contact me.

Like its affiliate, State Farm Insurance, be wary of SF and its affiliates. I immediately, cashed my CD to stop the "bleeding" from SF bank. Unfortunately, I am still bleeding from my Universal Life Insurance policy. It is a matter of going beyond the "point of no return". To cancel out my Universal Life Insurance policy would be like cutting my head off to remove the fly from my nose, instead of just waving my hand in front of my face, despite that I was given dishonest information about my Universal Life Insurance Policy. The purpose of this review is to help other individuals make better choices regarding State Farm. If you want less drama go elsewhere or to another more credible insurance company. If SF treats their Universal Insurance policyholders with "drama" while the policyholder is alive how will SF treats the policyholders' beneficiaries when the policyholder is deceased. Again, all that glitter is not gold.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I opened a CD. After I opened it I tried to create an account that I could view my balance from month to month. The website would not allow me to be a user. When I contacted customer service I was told that if I only had a CD I could not create an online account. I would need to have a loan, checking account, money market etc. I asked if I would be receiving a monthly paper statement and was told I would need to make a special request and be approved for that. HELLO STATE FARM BANK, welcome to 2017. You have an online ONLY bank and don't allow a customer with a CD to view their account???

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

I have my loan through State Farm. I have been paying my loan each month. I received a notice that I was 3 months behind. They told me I missed a payment in December 2015. I had took their offer to not make a payment for Christmas that month. They are now telling me that due to that they have applied each of my payments to the past month. Now they say they will repossess my vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

Whatever you DO NOT apply for a mortgage with State Farm. I had an excellent credit rating when we started this process. They ran my credit report on two separate day and 4 1/2 months later they are calling to verify employment which is holding up the loan. I have been at my job for almost 14 years and my husband almost 35 years. After months of wasting our time gathering all the information they requested. But they can't waste their time picking up a phone to verify employment. They use some online service that you spend 2 hours of your time going set up online when you work for a fortune 500 company.

I now have phone book of documentation Tax returns, W2'S, Paystubs and they still need to verify employment??? For a small loan on the property that appraised at twice the value and when I receive the call I am informed he spent an hour trying to do this??? Please this is a vacation property and I had a unsecured personal loan in 2 days to initially purchase this property. I was trying to save money on interest. After being solicited we went through them for a loan. If you are like me and work 60 hours a week to have these things please contact a company who knows how to handle these transactions.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

If I were to write all the reasons why you shouldn't consider State Farm Bank for a loan, it would take me 6 months to complete. Listen... DO NOT DO IT!!! Day 7 of trying to complete a simple auto loan. Still no end in sight. You have been warned!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Got an offer in the mail for State Farm bank balance transfer offer - 1.9% for 23 months. Sounded GREAT! While paying my State Farm Auto Insurance to my agent, I had them process the bank's offer to save time and maybe get a better line of credit for the offered balance transfer. So, it turns out that SFB gave me a $3,000 balance transfer offer of 1.9% for 23 months with NO BALANCE TRANSFER FEE. HOWEVER, THE LARGE PRINT GIVETH AND THE SMALL PRINT TAKETH. In other words, what this $3,000 offer ends up doing is suckering the ignorant, ALMOST to pay $1,368 over two years for what a balance transfer fee would have been 45.6%. Luckily I calculated this out. By offering such a small annual fee and offering such a long term, most folks would not notice that they are unknowingly putting themselves into this trick bag. Let us all know that with State Farm Bank it is not, "buyer beware" but buyer RUN LIKE HELL!!"

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I have ordered for steel roller pen worth Rs. 365 - Received a message that "your order no. ** has been despatched via FIRST FLIGHT on 16/09/2016 12 am AWB no. **" but till date I am waiting for the parcel. On enquiry from first flight they have replied that they have not booked such parcel. Will you please help me in sort out the matter.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

My experience was horrible with State Farm Bank and co-signing a loan: I was applying for an auto loan and found I was not approved - because of negative input from a State Farm loan I was a Co-Signer on. I was confused because I had no idea there were late payments on the State Farm loan and I am very credit cautious. Here is what I found out... TOO LATE:

Although my part of the loan application with State Farm noted my new married name and address, somehow State Farm changed it on THEIR END to my previous name and an address I had previous years ago when I had auto insurance with them. Because of the incorrect info State Farm put in their system, I was never notified when the applicant was late on payments (I was a Co-Signer). My credit was destroyed due to this company and their errors! DESTROYED! When I was trying to resolve this issue I had to speak to 3 different departments before one of them was able to correct the issues. Of course, this was way too late as my credit was already destroyed. I would never recommend State Farm Bank to anyone - they are an insurance company, not a bank and it shows.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

My truck was up for repo. On August 12th I sent in a $500.00 dollar western union. They got it at 8:45 the next morning and they came and got it at 10:30 the next morning. After I called State Farm they had to bring it back and I lost a whole day's pay to get off work to handle it. I called yesterday Friday the 9th 2016 to make a payment and the lady told me that my vehicle was no longer redeemable. She said it was auction off this weekend and it was on their lot. If my truck wasn't redeemable when did the repo man bring it back and it is still sitting in my yard. I am looking for anybody can help me with this. I would tell everybody to stay away from state farm bank and I've had it for 4 years and never missed a payment.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

If you are thinking about getting an auto loan with State Farm don't!!! They are horrible as a lender and everything has to be processed through their service team. They tell you one thing and then do another!!! I promise you they are horrible! Stay AWAY!!!

Original review: July 7, 2016

On June 9, 2016 my home was broken into for the second time since 2012. Garage in Feb. 2016 and shed May 2016. Today an agent came to my home and treated me like an criminal. Asked if I owed student loans. Or medical bills. Insinuated that because I was ** there was NO WAY I NOW could afford the things on my list. I had manuals for everything I owned!! He said it wasn't good enough. To go local stores and see if my number was on file. Been in my home for six and half years. Four break-ins. Was tired of taking losses. Been with my fiancée for fours years whom help me take care of our home and kids. Never been soo disrespected and insulted in my own home. Called his supervisor and made a complaint. Wondering if I was a different nationality would that have occurred.

Original review: June 15, 2016

I cannot believe I've actually been on hold for over 30 minutes, but I need to discuss my auto loan with them and have no choice. This is NO WAY to do business or treat customers. We are your customer. We have a choice where to get loans - I'm going to get another loan to pay off this one. I have never had an experience like this!

Original review: March 15, 2016

I contacted State Farm multiple times today and was transferred quite a bit as well. The main issue wasn't even a big deal. All I needed help with was seeing my credit card statements online. Somehow my insurance information was on my online account but my credit card was not. I was okay when they asked for my name and account number, but what really blew me off were the random questions. They also asked me why I called about 4 times on the same line with the same person. In the middle of the whole ordeal I was somehow transferred to the phone number on the back of the State Farm credit card. No one I was transferred to knew why I had been transferred, and every time I was transferred no one could help. I ended up with State Farm Bank support and just gave up when a lady by the name of Bianca gave a slight bit of attitude while I kept calm and said "thank you" and promptly ended the call.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I have been an insurance customer of theirs for 16 years. Very good insurance company. I made the mistake of signing up with one of their bank accounts. HUGE mistake. After I opened it online, and deposited money via ACH wire transfer from a much better bank, THEN they decided they wanted all kinds of info to "verify me" rather than just looking in their own files. Screw them. I tried to transfer to my money back OUT of the account also via ACH wire transfer, and they blocked it!

So now I got hit with a return item fee AND I can't get my money out of there! So now I will have to waste hours and get a headache dealing with them, just to "close" an account they didn't really even open, even though it was "approved" before I sent them any money. Just totally bizarre. All I wanted was a completely different savings account I could send money to via payroll deposit every pay period. What I got was a headache and a return item fee, and hours of wasted time. I should have listened to the online reviews. NEVER EVER EVER do business with State Farm Bank under ANY circumstances.

State Farm Bank Company Information

State Farm
www.statefarm.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business