State Farm Bank

State Farm Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.28/5

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

State Farm Bank Reviews

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2018

Perhaps I should have been more patient but finally the situation was resolved. I will definitely update with how their overall banking platform is but I please that they corrected the issue. Given the holidays I can understand the delay.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

So I had opened up a checking account online and that was easy. I received my debit card and PIN in the mail. However when trying to create an online profile I kept receiving an error message. This is when the futility of this virtual bank shined. Over the course of 2 weeks I called 8 times and was assured that a support ticket was created and would be reviewed. Often I would be placed on hold with no one ever coming back to the call. The fact that it could take this long for a simple log in issue is scary. Imagine if you have a real problem like fraud or identity theft. They are not ready to do banking.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

These guys should stick to insurance and leave credit to companies that know what they are doing. After putting an unnecessary hold on my card and not bothering to try and contact me, it took me 5 weeks to get someone from their fraud dept to speak to me. I called twice a week for 5 weeks! Left messages, talked to supervisors... all assuring me the fraud dept would call me back the next day. They would confirm they had received the document requested for verification but no one would take the hold off. Finally 5 weeks later I got lucky and spoke to Jim in the fraud dept. He claimed they never got a doc - although the supervisors said their dept had noted it had been received. I probably wasted 10 hrs on the phone over 5 weeks with these guys. Worst customer service ever. Jim would not give me his last name - threw me loads of attitude - then closed my account. Thank god I am rid of State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

In an attempt to be diligent in protecting card security, I called while traveling to card services. I provided full name, address, social security number. I did not know card # -- card was lost. They asked me a security question. I did not know the answer. I provided State Farm agent name, limit, balance, card last used, email address, home phone, cell phone. They would not agree to block the card as they claim they could not verify my identity. 1/2 hour on the phone for the most frustrating experience. They need to review the process... Protect the account and consumer first. Worry about reissue of card at a later time. Very poor customer service. No wonder we have so much loss and expense due to fraud. I have filed a complaint with the bank as well as other consumer agencies.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was 2 going on 3 months behind due to job issues. I paid $1100 dollars before the deadline. I gave everything I had. Due to becoming a full-time employee no longer working through temp service now I get paid bi-weekly. They pick up my car for $75 after I paid 1100 dollars. In order to get the car back in my possession I need to pay the late fee of 25 dollars plus the $75 car payment plus a $475 dollars towing fee plus a 150 dollar administrator fee adding the fee total 740 dollars. But wait the towing company charging me an extra $300 dollar for getting my car back in my possession. In which I had to drive an hour there. A hour of waiting to have my car release. To a company that has a lot but no office building. My car is not secure. Behind a old gate with one rusty chain.

To let the towing man tell it State Farm was already trying to send it to auction within 36 hour that they had it. I guess not looking at GA repossessing law. What I don’t understand is... “like a good neighbor State Farm is there.” Well State Farm wasn’t there for me in fact $75 dollar cost me $1100. It’s sad to say cause I have two vehicles Finance to State Farm plus both of them I have State Farm full Coverage insurance, two life insurance policies and I’ll top of that home mortgage Insurance. They lost a customer of 5 yrs.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Since I've started this account, there have been nothing but fees for things that are normally free with other banks. Transfer fees and foreign transaction fees are especially painful. Most banks don't charge these things anymore. The final straw was this weekend. I deposited a check to cover some automatic drafts that were coming through. It was approved and then the items came through - and were all rejected.

I called the rep and she said, "Well, this is a holiday weekend and so no money was moved yesterday." Oh, okay, but yet you were rejecting drafts left and right when you have a check pending on the account. On a side note: the check was approved and normally would have cleared the next day. The day I deposited it was not a holiday. I don't give a crap if it's after 2pm. Most people make deposits after 5pm on Friday. Most banks will hold all items if there is a payment pending on the account. Not State Farm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

One problem after another and it is never State Farm Bank at fault. Unexplained fees on statement, unreceived payments blamed on USPS, 15 days to get from DE. to GA. not likely. How long in your mailbox? Goodbye State Farm Bank. Shabbyest c.c. Co. I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have been with State Farm insurance for 12+ years and have always recommended them to anyone looking for an insurance company. When I bought my first brand new car, my agent suggested that I finance it through their bank. Worst mistake of my life. When there was some hardship in my family last year, I missed a payment. I called a couple months ago to rectify the situation and was given the option to add the payment to the end of the loan. Awesome! Seemed simple enough. They were to mail me a form, I would fill it out and send it back with a check for the interest and was informed to make sure the money was not in the account so when they tried to take the payment, it would be for the current month and not the missed payment.

Well the form came too late, the money was not in the account as requested and now I am behind 2 months of payments. State Farm has proceeded to call me so much that I have been forced to block them. They now have started calling my work even though I am actively putting whatever I can towards the account on a monthly basis. I understand that I am the one who missed one payment ($364) but the terrible customer service and downright harassment from this division of the company has made me rethink them as a whole. I will never refer anyone to them for insurance ever again. And honestly, I might refinance my auto loan with another company just to end the harassment sooner.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Opened account two weeks ago and no one can help me login. I called to close account. They wanted account number to transfer funds back to me, I don't think so. Why would I trust you with my bank account and you cant even help me login to your own bank website? Stay with insurance, everyone cannot do everything.

Original review: June 27, 2018

An automatic charge of $5 went on my State Farm Credit card. I was not aware of it. The statements got lost in my email. After about 3 months, I received a letter from State Farm that my account was closed and I owe $102.72. I was going out of town and I paid the full amount of $102.72 without calling State Farm. State Farm owed me $53.68 in reward points. When my insurance bill came in I tried to access the reward points and found it was 0. I called State Farm and was told that it was forfeited. I, therefore, paid State Farm $150 fees for $5. Why couldn't State Farm use the $53.68 to cover the $5 that was owed? I had State Farm insurance on home and car since 1985. It looks like it is time for me to fire State Farm Insurance.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have been with State Farm for 47 years and State Farm Bank for 18. No problems till Feb 5, 2018 when I tried to make a payment by phone. A lady took my debit card number and she was not supposed to. By the end of that month they suspended my card and I called again and the lady took my checking account number and routing number from my personal check and said she had all the info she needed. I had two verification numbers from both calls. March rolls around and I find out they haven't received a payment from my bank. A letter was sent March so I called again and once again they copied the information needed from my personal check.

Later I find out that they copied all the information wrong on their end because a supervisor told me they had 3 sets of wrong numbers that did not match my checking account. I go to my State Farm Insurance Agent and they called about the matter. My agent gave them the info needed from my personal checking account and 2 days later they got their money. But that did not stop them from putting me on a credit file and reducing my credit score! I have paid my car insurance and Visa on time for many years and they do this to an old customer. And yes, I disputed the matter by letter and they told me it was my fault. Not theirs. But who copies the information by phone? If I knew what my next option was I go to an attorney and sue.

State Farm Bank Company Information