Santa Barbara Bank & Trust

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Same story as below. Used TaxSlayer. Lied and told me my bank rejected direct deposit. I confirmed it with my bank's manager that there was no direct deposit that was rejected from TaxSlayer, Santa Barbara or any others. Submitted my information on Santa Barbara's Tax Group's website multiple times. Still no money.

Tax Products Group is holding my money and will not release it to me. I filed with Turbo Tax January 22, 2016. My refund was accepted and processed. It was deposited to my bank on March 9 but supposedly the bank rejected it. Mind you it was a Green Dot bank. Had to call the IRS to ask where money was and the IRS looked up the routing number and gave me the name Tax Products Group. I was placed on hold very long periods of time, connected to a line that hung up on me, charged $20 because the deposit was rejected and came back to them. I asked for the return to be sent back to the IRS. I was done dealing with TPG. I was informed that I would be held in their office for 15 business days and that it was their policy before it would even be sent back to the IRS.

I then called a week later to make sure there were no other holds and that it was scheduled to go back. The rep I talked to told me that it was not policy and that it went back in batches so I kept waiting patiently. Now when I called to today because it still is not back at the IRS, the office is closed and the automated system that took my social said that I had to call their risk analysis dept. When I dial the number it just says to call other numbers, wtf! Don't manage my risk when the return is going back to the IRS.

I am a single mother or 3. My car is broke down and I have been counting on that money since January. This is wrong. I want to be a part of this class action suit. Please let me know how to be included. It's a scam. It's wrong and they are using the government and the innocent taxpayers to fraud. No one should ever use Turbo Tax again. I have always went through H&R and never had these problems. Thought I would save a few bucks doing it myself and now suffering the consequences. Any advice please comment. Thank you and TPG should have to give back the interest and fees they have collected on all the innocent people they took advantage of.

If you use Turbo Tax in the future prepay your filing fees. Otherwise, you'll encounter the Santa Barbara Group and that's when the trouble begins. In our experience with TPG, we received an email from Turbo Tax that our Federal refund would be deposited within 1-2 business days. When that didn't happen, I called Turbo Tax, the IRS, and they referred me to the bank that distributes the funds, which is TPG. After dozens of attempts to call and to be put on hold for hours, then I would be disconnected. I finally got a person to speak to and they said that my account was placed on hold because of too many attempts online to try to login. Apparently, you should not type a decimal point in your refund amount, which is not stated on their login screen. So to get my account off hold, I had to scan a copy of my driver's license to verify my identity. They assured me that my refund would be deposited within 7 business days. It was not.

I called again and was told that my drivers' license was not legible. I was upset that there was no form of communication to inform me of this. I said that I would scan my passport then and see how that comes out. She informed me that was fine, but said I would have to wait another seven business days to be verified. I did get my refund a few days after I scanned the passport, but it took over a month to get it. Please do no deduct your Turbo Tax fee from your refund. Pay for it another way. I learned the hard way.

Whenever filing taxes, I have always use TurboTax. Never had any problems till this year. Refund was rejected by bank. They asked for verification, no problem. Sent it on. They received it and all was ok. I had my address changed so that the check would not go to the wrong address. They resend the check out on 2-16-16. It is now 3-4-16, and still no check. I had to fill out a Indemnity Bond, so that they can reissue the check. They told me now I will have to wait for 72 hours till I get my money. I wouldn't mind waiting, but the bad part is I'M HOMELESS. All I want my refund. I agree with everyone on this site, SBBT sucks. Coming from an ex IRS customer service rep, they have a lot to learn. But at least they are not foreigners. I wish everyone the best of luck. I've learned a lesson. Going to free sites from now on. My customers are hating me for them being charged so much.

Like MANY of the posts I've read here SBBT or TPG held my refund for 3 weeks without letting me know they had it. TPG and Green Dot are one and the same as of 2014. I learned that through this experience. I tried to send my refund to my boyfriend's GD card not knowing that it would be rejected. Last year my tax preparer mistakenly sent my refund to his card while doing both our taxes and it went through with no problem. So this year when I misplaced my card and was online doing my own taxes I didn't hesitate to ask him to bring me his.

Ok when I found out it was rejected I called GD and asked them what would happen next. They said they'd hold it for 2 business days then it'd be returned to the IRS and they'd send me a paper check. For one GD knew TPG had my money then and didn't tell me to contact them. So I waited. After 2 weeks I checked the IRS website to see if it acknowledged that it'd been rejected and returned. It didn't. I called the 800 numbers given but they were only automated. I waited another week. I checked back on the IRS website and that time it still showed that my refund had been DD into my account but that if I hadn't received it to call a different 800 number so I did.

The guy at the IRS told me that in their system it was showing that my refund was accepted and that I'd received it via DD. He suggested I get in touch with my bank ASAP. I called GD. They said they had sent it back two days after it came and to call the IRS. I got upset. While I was on the phone with GD (for 45 mins) I was googling anything I could about what could've happened. Meanwhile I asked GD to tell me the exact name of the bank that they'd returned it to. They said it was just "the IRS bank." I argued that in their system it had to show a bank name and that I wanted that name so I could make contact with that bank. Again, "The IRS bank, Ma'am." I didn't know then why they wouldn't tell me.

I came across a forum while googling that told me about TPG and about other people who'd had similar experiences. While reading and talking I learned that TPG is who would have my money AND that TPG WAS GD. I asked the person on the phone about TPG. He said he'd never heard of it. I was very confused. I said, "That's not true Sir. TPG is GD and you'd know that. You'd also know that TPG has my refund. What I don't understand is why you aren't telling me that." He says again that he doesn't know what TPG is but he's becoming very short with me. I say, "Ok, well I'll tell you," and I start to read to him from the website about how TPG and GD came together in 2014 and where they are located and all that. He cuts in and says, "No Ma'am." I say, "Are you telling me that GD and TPG aren't the same company?" He says yes. I say, "So you are saying to me on a recorded line that GD is not TPG and TPG is not GD?" HE HANGS UP IN MY FACE.

When I FINALLY get in touch with TPG because it takes days and hours they give me all these excuses. Can't really tell me why they're holding my refund. Then after the third person I get a "It's being held on a special hold" for suspicious reasons. When asked why I was never notified they claimed they emailed me but I know and they know they didn't. After reading all these posts about the "interest scam" it ALL makes perfect sense. I understand why they rejected mine but they held it wrongly, didn't notify me intentionally, and collected interest. Can you imagine how much money they are making doing this to people?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santa Barbara Bank & Trust?

I will never go through Turbo Tax again since they choose to have Santa Barbara Bank "assist" them in the tax process. I call this a joke! After holding my tax money and not being able to get through to someone who has a brain or knows what is going on! I have tried to contact numerous times and told the same thing that my file has been put on hold for ID verification. Fine, whatever. I sent in the things you claim to have needed so let me have my tax money. I have had more than enough with these people.

I dealt with the IRS directly about a refund issue a few years back and made sure they were aware that I knew of the interest that they were to give me when holding my refund for over so many days. Needless to say when I let them know that I am not one to mess with I suddenly had my taxes the next day. Guess it's time I pull out the attitude for SBTG bank as well!

Taxes get rejected for deposit on Netspend card. Not sure why, so eft deposit/funds was returned to SBTPG. They requested verification of id/drivers license/ passport, etc. which can be done electronically or by fax. Then you must wait 7 business days. They are hard to reach and unpleasant to speak with. It takes hours if not getting a busy signal, or call rejected, busy. They keep making excuses on releasing my tax refund. It has been 10 business days. They laughed at me and told me everyone needs their tax refund. They keep asking for more time. The IRS said they should have returned the funds to them within 3 business days if unable to process quickly. The bank seems unorganized and unprofessional.

IRS sent my tax return money to them because TurboTax uses them to manage their filing fees. They have had my money for over 3 weeks. The irs said this isn't normal and I should call them and see where my money is. After spending over 54 minutes on hold, they told me I need to sign up for an account and verify my information before they could release my money to me??? Sounds like a scam. They just hold peole's tax money until they complain to collect the interest on it.

My deposit was supposed to be sent direct deposit 2/10/16 - apparently my checking account number was entered incorrectly (understandable). I called first thing Monday, February 15th. I was told I could upload my ID, verify my identity along with my husband's. I promptly did just that. YOUR WEBSITE STATED 2-4 BUSINESS DAYS!!! I called Wednesday the 17th, I was told it would be verified by Friday the 19th. Called Friday the 19th I was told it would be verified by Monday the 22nd. Now every time I am calling I am waiting 45 minutes just to get this BS answer. Then finally YESTERDAY I was told no it's 7 business days and will be verified for sure by Wednesday the 24th, and here I am having called twice today on hold 35 min each time it is still not verified. WHAT BS IS THIS? IT'S MY OWN MONEY FROM THE IRS THAT IS BEING HELD HOSTAGE! Do I need to get my attorney to call???

Horrible and worst experience of my life! They say your deposit has been rejected so they can hold on to your money and charge fees to send it via check! I was asked to upload my ID and the online website stated it would to 2 days! After two days I called and spoke with rep who stated to give it another day every single day I called! And everyday they told me to give it another day then suddenly changed the online wording to 7 days to verify ID! All of the reps were rude and had very little knowledge to what was going on! None of them seemed to even care that they were just holding my money!! Then after reading all the horrible reviews online I got really worried - spoke with two different supervisors who were not any help! Then finally spoke with a guy named Mathew who was able to get my hold released and check sent out that day! After two weeks of waiting! Will never use Turbo Tax ever again after my experience!

They rarely answer the phone. When you call they are very untruthful. TurboTax and the Santa Barbara Bank & Trust have developed a scam to hold onto millions of tax payers dollars. Every TurboTax client that files a return bigger than $10,000 (this is their words) has to have the check held up for up to seven days as they verify who you are. Verification takes two minutes but they have 7 days to get back to you. This is a scam to hold onto free money and collect interest. This need to be investigated. They also stated that my bank rejected the deposit which I found to be untrue.

Yes I see we all have the same problem with this bank, the real problem comes from dealing with Turbo tax and the Santa Barbara Bank. This bank is withholding my funds without my permission and without any legal authority. I did my taxes through Turbo tax, I used my refund to pay my filing fees and requested direct deposit. My state refund arrived on Feb 5 2016 and my Federal refund was set from the IRS on the 5th. My state refund was deposited as requested, so that tells me they have my routing number and account number and there is no excuse about having the wrong number.

When I called Turbo tax, they gave me the runaround, I messaged them 6 times and filed a complaint, I then filed a complaint with the Attorney's office and they then answered my question about my refund... They said to call Santa Barbara Bank, they have my refund. I called 8 times. Each time it was busy... They simply don't answer their phone. So they have kept my refund and refuse to send it to my bank. By the way, I called my bank several times and they never received the refund, so Santa Barbara is keeping it. Yes they are holding on to refunds to acquire the interest, and I am filing a criminal complaint against them with the Attorney General Office. To the gentleman filing the class action, yes, absolutely I will sign on as a class member... Let's take these people to court... I've got plenty of time and information.

My direct deposit was rejected due to an error on the account number on 2/3, it's 2/18 and the IRS still does not have it because Santa Barbara Bank has not returned it yet. They were issued the refund on the 2nd, took their fees out, transferred it to my bank on the 3rd and due to the account error was immediately rejected bank to Santa Barbara - there is NO need to have held it this long other than to get interest on almost 7K. I've been on hold for 15 minutes and nothing - zero - just hold music. When I called and entered my SS # a recording told me that the $ was returned to them - um hello. So then why hasn't it been returned to the IRS??? I need my money just like everyone else.

Waiting patiently for the bank to mail me out my refund. First of all my money was rejected on the 10th Of Feb. Each and every time I call Santa Barbara TPG it's a hold time of over 25 minutes, half the time the phone rings busy or says the center is closed during business hours... Ok, I sent my driver license via smartphone. I made sure it was crystal clear. I sent it last Thursday, I spoke with a rep yesterday who told me it takes 4 days to verify my ID, wtf??? Why? online it states 2 business days it sent via desktop or smartphone and 4 business days if faxed... They're full of BS!!! Waiting in my damn money that I WORKED ALL YEAR FOR...

My bank rejected my refund due to my last two accounts numbers being wrong. I've Been waiting a week for bank to mail my check and every time I call I'm told I'm in process. I sent picture. I'd where is my money and why are they holding Peoples funds?

Dealing with them and through TurboTax is a HASSLE. Somehow my refund check was rejected by my bank and returned. After 5 calls, being on hold for a half hour each time, I finally had to upload my ID online. It takes 4 business days for them to verify my identity. Supposedly, even after verifying my ID via customer service, that isn't enough. Even though, it's just to mail a physical check to the address on file. So verifying your identity to get information about your refund, is not enough for them to mail you a check. This is interesting because, in order for someone to steal your refund check, they'd have to know all your info from filing, plus be able to check/steal your mail daily, THEN find a way to cash the refund check that doesn't require ID. Thanks to the Patriot Act, that is impossible. Even if they forged a signature and "signed" the check over to them, they'd still be caught and the money returned.

So.... thinking logically, and having my fair share of experience with a company known for long holds, I realized that this company, who's only in use for half the year, makes more money after fees by simply holding onto funds. Oh, they DON'T return it to the IRS though. Why? Because "it may take up to 12 weeks to get your money back." Going onto the IRS' site, it actually only takes 2 weeks.

Now, with all of this information, which seems plausible: a company purposefully holding onto funds to generate more interest and make more money, or them being concerned with verifying identity, even after doing so through customer service? (What? A greedy bank? This is so rare! Corporate greed and capitalism? Not in America!) What other company requires your ID, after verifying your social, account number, mailing address, refund amount, status, and full name? What other company is open on Saturdays, but doesn't count Saturdays as business hours? I want my $4554 (minus fees. I'm a businessman myself) mailed to the address on file ASAP. If not, I will pursue a class-action lawsuit to anyone I can find that is dealing with this, and has dealt with your company for the last 6 years.

I filed my taxes through turbo tax that uses sbtp for banking. I never heard anything from them after IRS accepted my return. I was a victim of identity theft years before so I had to go through all the proving my identity to IRS first. Finally Sept 21 2014 IRS issued a check to s.b.t.p. 2 weeks later I still hadn’t heard anything from them so I attempted to call them in in October of 2014 after a long and frustrating attempt at get a hold of the right person. All I got was a "your return is being reviewed. Give us 6 weeks." After 6 weeks I finally get the supervisor who by the way was very rude informs me that my check was returned to IRS for what reason I still don't know. They did however cash the check and pay my turbo tax fees which makes no sense IRS informs me that as of June 15 2015 they have never received anything back from s.b.t.p.

I'll admit some fault here, initially the wrong account number was used and the bank refused to accept the deposit for the federal tax return because the name didn't match. Fine. I even understand the bank charging an extra $20 for their trouble. The problem is they give notice that this issue must be fixed within 15 days of their notice (2 weeks after the payment was rejected) so holding the $3700 for two weeks already, then I must go through a multistage process to update the account.

This includes having them email a validation code to me to verify that we are the right people. The problem is the code is good for thirty (30) minutes only and it takes hours for me to get an email from them providing me with the number. It is expired it arrives. I called their helpline, after 42 minutes on hold I was told they have never had that happen before, yet it has happened to me 6 or 7 times so far. I'm still waiting for the new number I asked for this morning at 8:10, it's now 12:30 expired again. So I seem unable to get my money.

Meanwhile I've called again, was told "oh you need to use a desk top." Really?? I don't think so. When I emailed their question department (same address) I got a response within 2 minutes. They have figured out how to hold your money for a month, then send it back to the IRS. Free to them for a month. I'm fairly confident I can't be the only one getting jacked around. Can't help me personally, gotta do it via internet but that doesn't work right. Their helpline people seemed not intelligent, knew nothing at all and kept talking in circles.

I been trying to fax some important papers for a week in a half and can’t get my fax through. So I need to know how I can get this fax through. I’m very unhappy at this point.

When asking for an accounting of the Oceano Nursery SBA loan, this is the response from Santa Barbara Bank & Trust: “On December 12, 2011 at approximately 12:40 pm, you sent an email directly to Santa Barbara Bank and Trust ("SBBT") titled "Account Information Request", which included an internet url link to one of your websites in the body of the message. This email is a direct communication by you to SBBT in violation of the restraining order issued against you by the Santa Barbara Superior Court on June 27, 2011. It expressly prohibits you from directly contacting anyone employed by or on the board of directors of SBBT, other than Diana ** or myself. This will be your one and only warning. If you violate the restraining order again, we will report it to the Santa Barbara Superior Court and seek contempt charges against you. This could result in fines levied against you and/or your imprisonment.”

Santa Barbara Bank & Trust has been found changing SBA PLP loan documents after acknowledging over charging the Oceano Nursery SBA loan by $247.00 per month! It is unfortunate to have to make public, the fraudulent actions of Santa Barbara Bank & Trust.

Santa Barbara Bank & Trust has breached a 2007 Forbearance and Workout Agreement and I was improperly overcharged my SBA Loan, affecting my Oceano Nursery Business.

On May 6, 2011, Santa Barbara Bank & Trust has finally admitted their Breach of Contract through their Attorney Diana **. Since this time SBBT is refusing to answer any more questions.

Santa Barbara Bank and Trust has overcharged my SBA business loan since 2007. They refused to account for their mistakes and fraud.

Oceano Nursery is now out of business and Santa Barbara Bank and Trust is now again committing bank fraud affecting my other business.

Santa Barbara Bank blundered into hard times and is throwing its customers under the bus as a result. They have frozen our business credit line, called the outstanding note and when we were not able to deal with the note as fast as they demanded, they froze our business checking account. This is a bank that received $180 million in TARP funds from the federal government (our tax money). What they have done is legal but just because it's legal does not make it the right thing to do.

I was told by Santa Barbara Bank that they were not going to give me my refund due to an outstanding debt from 2006 I never received notice of this. I wrote a letter to the bank asking to let me pay this debt in payments. Instead, they took my whole 2009 refund. I did not even get a response regarding the letter I sent. I called several times and never received a call back. I was depending on this refund since my husband was laid-off.

They received my refund and was supposed to direct deposit. Said they mailed it out in April 2009. Its mid-May and still never received it. I lost my house for non-payment

I filled my taxes with turbo tax,and i guess they are the bank they deal with,the irs refund my money to them,besides the hidden fees,they never send the money to my other bank account,my bank said they never recieved the transfer funds now is two months without knowing where is my money..is like bank of santa barbara said they did send it,and my bank sending me all my transactions in my account that show me the money never was send..

my daughters taxes were done and a check was issued but then a few days later a letter arrived from the IRS stating that the rest of her refund will be investigated upupon proof of her claims for eic. since she has none now owes santa barbara the balance plus interest on her loan

I prepared my taxes with Turbo Tax and Santa Barbara Bank & Trust made no refernce to free e-filing and that ther are other websites from federal Government that do not charge you for e-filing or direct deposit. They took out over $50.00 Dollars of my refund Plus held on to my refund for 5 extra days making interest off my return. I am a low income person who doesn't need to be taken advantage of by banks. I e-mailed them and they sent e-mail back saying they would get back to me is 24 Hrs. A week later no return e-mail or funds

Loss of money

This bank has managed to take out more fees. One amount was set up of 124.00 to come out my refund. But the Bank took more funds out of my refund check. They have managed to take another 100.00 plus out of my refund loan. This was not the amount that was set up. The refuse to put my funds in the Bank in a timely matter. They are still holding my fund making intrest off of my refund. This is sad.

I would like to receive 1,000.00 dollars do to the heart and trouble I have had with this Bank

Santa Barbara Bank & Trust Company Profile