1.23/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Santa Barbara Bank & Trust

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Santa Barbara Bank & Trust Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

They stole my money!!!! They gave my tax refund to someone else and when I called them about it they gave me the run around! It should be ILLEGAL for them to be in business!! Tax preparer please be cautious and do not use them!!! Ugh I’m so upset! I can’t believe they would steal my tax refund!!! ** frauds. I’m doing an investigation with the IRS and because my tax accountant signed a contract with them I can’t seem to get anywhere! But I’m not going to give up- companies like this should not exist! I wouldn’t be surprise if it was an inside job!

Original review: May 10, 2019

Instead of doing the direct deposit that I requested for my tax refund, they cut me a check and then charged me $20. When I called to ask about it, they said my bank declined the deposit because the account number didn't exist. I see that many others have experienced the same thing. And believe me... I went back to my tax return and carefully checked what I entered. I entered my account information, both the routing number and the account number perfectly. My suspicion is that this group changed either the account information or the type of account (checking vs. savings) when they sent it so that the bank would decline it and then they could send a check and charge me for it.

Too many people have the same issue for me to believe this is a coincidence. I have never used TurboTax before and never, ever, ever will I make that mistake again. TurboTax charged me an additional $39.95 for the liberty of deducting the amount I owed for using their product from my refund instead of me paying it up front. I don't know how they got that one by me, but they did. This seems to be a case of crooks working with crooks. Beware!

I called Santa Barbara Tax Group but of course they did nothing but tell me to call TurboTax. I never asked them to cut me a check and I was never warned that my bank supposedly declined the deposit. No communication whatsoever! I found the check in a pile of mail weeks after they sent it and was wondering when my electronic transfer was going to happen. I am beyond furious that I have been taken advantage of and that they won't return the money. Imagine how much money they can make if they can get 20 extra bucks off each customer by using this method. I am not even sure that they actually tried to do an electronic deposit. I would love to see the proof of this but am not willing to spend another hour on the phone to ask for it. I have called the Santa Barbara Tax Group, TurboTax and the IRS. Now I just hope to warn others about what happened to me.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: April 29, 2019

I too was duped by TurboTax and SBBTG. Charged very high fees which were not disclosed to me until the end of filing. At that point I was stuck. Do not use pay with my refund, for that matter don't use TurboTax at all. Find a truly free service. They are out there. What I finally did was close my account so TurboTax or SBBTG could get any of my return, waited for it to be returned to IRS and then sent a paper return. Hope this helps all of you out there.

Original review: April 11, 2019

After reading all the reviews I have to agree. PAY THE FEES UPFRONT!!! Santa Barbara Bank takes their cut of your refund. TurboTax is no help. Tell you call IRS! DON’T waste your time. Maybe try calling Santa Barbara Bank 877-901-5646. Good Luck. The account numbers on my return weren’t even close to the ones I entered. Acct and routing # **. **. I received a paper check with the Santa Barbara back fees subtracted from it! Not really happy with TurboTax. I’ve used them for years, but this is my last.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I filed my taxes Jan. 26th. They were accepted February 18th, funds sent out Feb. 26th. My bank rejected it because SBTPG labeled my account as a checking acct which didn't match so my bank rejected it. They then charged me an additional $20 processing (without my knowledge). They "sent" the checkout March 1, 2019... It's March 25th and it never came. I had to fill out a request and have it notarized before they would cancel the check that was "lost". Now I'm waiting to see what happens. I'm calling them tomorrow (again) and see what's the next steps.

I'm sure I'll get the same line as usual. "It'll take 5-6 weeks for the IRS to receive and process the request, we won't know how long it'll take to get to you, you'll have to call them." Everything takes 5-6 weeks with these people. I will never ever let these people touch any more money of mine, again!! I can't believe no one has shut these people down and I can't believe companies like TurboTax trust these people. The only good reviews they'll ever get, is how good they are at stealing people's refunds.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santa Barbara Bank & Trust?

Original review: March 23, 2019

I opted to have the charge for TurboTax come out of my federal refund, assuming it would be the same $49.99 charge. Instead Santa Barbara Bank & Trust charged me $150. What a rip off. Just pay the fee up front to avoid this excessive fee.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Holding my refund - I filed taxes Jan 28th. Accepted then I got approved. Refund sent Feb 27th 2019. It got sent to TurboTax for their fees and Turbo sent it to my bank but my bank doesn't exist anymore. Green Dot bought this prepaid company. Ok so Santa Barbara Bank said they sent my refund back to the IRS Feb 28th and the IRS has yet received it. It's been almost 2 weeks. The IRS said if they sent it out Feb 28th then we should have gotten it back already. What's going on?

Original review: March 6, 2019

Please pay TurboTax fees upfront and avoid paying from your refund. This bank delayed my refund and charged me over $150 just to process my Federal tax refund. I wish I read reviews ahead of time. They are thieves. Period!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I was reading all kinds of bad reviews about this place, and it kinda had me worried. But in my experience with them. I have absolutely no complaints. I received my money when they said with no issues. Everyone has their own experiences but I just wanted to put it out there that I am very pleased with their services.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

After reading Horror story after Horror story for the past week regarding tax refund problems and delays concerning SBBT, I’d like to share my complete opposite experience! According to the IRS’s website, my refund was scheduled to hit SBBT’s bank by 2/21/19, which it did on 2/20/19. But as of 2/22/19 the refund never transferred over to my Netspend card, so I called the TPG phone number. Unknowingly I had one number wrong on my tax return concerning my bank account number, obviously 100% my fault. I honestly expected and prepared myself for a major ordeal, but the woman I spoke to on the phone said a check for be mailed out ASAP. Well on 2/26/19, I received my check in Pa from California, only 4 days after learning about my bank account number mistake. Maybe I was just one of the lucky ones, but I could not have asked for better service or a quicker remedy for a bad situation that I caused!!!

Santa Barbara Bank & Trust Company Information