Find an Online Banks partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Sofi Money

SoFi Money is an online bank that gives you the best of checking and savings in one account. The company’s hybrid accounts allow you to earn interest without paying account fees. SoFi offers a variety of products for borrowing, saving, spending and investing, including a student loan refinancing product.

Pros

• No account fees
  • No ATM fees
  • High APY

Cons

• No physical locations

Bottom Line

SoFi Money is an online money management service with attractive benefits and features. While the company has no physical locations, the high interest yield and lack of fees make the service an appealing choice.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is SoFi Money?

SoFi Money is an online money management service that offers hybrid checking-savings accounts with zero fees. The company offers free use of any ATM — the bank charges no fees, and it reimburses third-party fees from the ATM’s owner. Accounts earn 2% APY, but the rate can vary.

SoFi Money dedicates itself to helping customers. The company offers spending and budgeting help, and it even provides one-on-one coaching for career transitions and job searches. SoFi Money members also receive discounted rates on SoFi loans.

SoFi Money features and services

SoFi Money is a mobile-first account that’s easy to manage from your smartphone or other compatible devices anytime and anywhere. Some of the key features of a SoFi Money account include:

• Transfer funds: SoFi’s app lets you transfer and receive funds on any device. Transfers between SoFi Money accounts are instant, and the account is compatible with both Apple Pay and Samsung Pay.
  • Check deposits: Use the SoFi app to take a photo of a check to deposit it in your account — no trip to the bank is needed.
  • Online bill pay: Whether it’s your movie streaming service bill or credit card bill, set up all your bill payments directly from the SoFi app or on your computer.
  • Debit card: With SoFi Money, you’ll get a Visa Debit Card that you can use at any ATM without additional fees from SoFi bank.
  • SoFi Money app: Access all of the above features and more with SoFi Money’s app, which lets you take your account with you wherever you go for 24/7 access.

SoFi Money FAQ

Is SoFi legit?
Yes, SoFi is a legitimate online money management service that offers a combination savings-checking account.
Is SoFi federally insured?
The company is insured by the FDIC, and your money is protected for up to 1.5 million dollars.
How secure is SoFi Money?
Beyond being FDIC insured, SoFi Money has security features like chip card technology, two-factor authentication and suspicious activity monitoring to protect your money. You can freeze your account instantly from the mobile app if you detect fraud.
Does SoFi Money charge fees?
No, SoFi Money does not charge account or ATM fees. Additionally, there are no overdraft fees, and SoFi does not require a minimum account balance.

Do we recommend SoFi Money?

If you’re looking for an alternative to a traditional bank, SoFi money offers an easy-to-use but valuable product with solid features. The 2% APY is a serious plus in SoFi’s favor, and there are plenty of safety features in place that let customers feel confident using the service. The SoFi Money App is a robust product that makes online money management easy and accessible.

SoFi Money Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoFi Money?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoFi Money?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Sofi loan lending company is a fake company. Which ask you 1st to add the money before borrowing the loan. And when we add. They change the account no. And they say us. That we added wrong account no. Now your account is freezed. And they don't even give back out money which transferred.. basically it's a fraud company.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I opened an account with this bank, and can not move money out of the account. So I am in need to transfer money out and they at this time have no way to make that happen. What kind of bank forces you to keep money on their platform only. Seems like a scam to me. Obviously, they don't have a working product to offer clients.

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Managing people of SoFi invest have a department full of unprofessional unethical clowns. They lead you on and hold your money hostage and sit on funds even they have deemed settled cash avail for withdrawal by "reviewing" for consumer's safety. Lies.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Great experience. Really want you to be happy and get back to banking the way it was supposed to be. I give it a ten out of ten for convenient banking. I will be a life long member and customer. **.

Original review: May 30, 2021

Very nice website and its process. Very simple and straightforward process. Had no issues with it. It makes me feel welcome and my life much easier and peaceful. Great banking system. Easy to scan and deposit.

Original review: March 25, 2021

My chip was bad on my old card, thought I’d get it replaced and not have to change my card number since it was simply damaged. I was wrong. I use their chat because of course their app currently doesn’t have a selection to replace a damaged card, just a lost or stolen one. I’m thinking there’s an issue with their app, I speak with an agent who I clearly tell I wasn’t looking to have my card number changed. The agent proceeds to change my card number without any warning or explanation as to why it’s necessary. I was advised I’d be able to see my new card info online and I’d be able to use Apple Pay while I waited for my new card..another lie.

I have absolutely NO access to my own money now for 5-10 days. I called their customer service yesterday to see if there was a way, the agent had the audacity to ask if I used cash app or Venmo to transfer funds... cash app you need a bank account AND the card number to add cash. I have heard too many bad things about Venmo. If I’d known their customer support lacked the support part, I would’ve chosen a different bank.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

So they told me all these perks to get me to sign up, because why wouldn’t you, right! Well come to find out they try to take advantage of you I feel, because they lied. I’ve noticed so far is they said that you will get $50 and the person who referred you will get $50 if you open the account and deposit $500 into the account. I deposited $500 in my account immediately I receive $25.00 a week later after I sent emails asking how the process worked (with no response from anyone). The person who referred me hasn’t received a dime I have contacted them through email and I have gotten no response. I also made sure I used the link my friend sent me to sign up. I’m very disappointed I don’t like when companies do this. What so they were hoping we didn’t notice??‍♀️ Shame.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Incompetence & lies... where do I begin??? Called a few weeks ago to inquire about a money (cash management) account AND a brokerage account. First rep I spoke with on the phone told me only “soft pull” and LexisNexis report. Second rep was clueless. Opened a brokerage account last week. Opened money account this morning. Called this morning and spoke to third rep who confirmed they pull both ChexSystems & EWS report! “Dear Sofi.... You just applied for your bank charter license! You’re not GOOD ENOUGH to pull those reports!” And if a customer asks you point blank if you pull ChexSystems and EWS, your reps better have that “basic knowledge” that most bankers and advisors learn in their FIRST WEEK OF TRAINING!!!

TD Ameritrade, Etrade, Fidelity, Firstrade, Tradestation, Tastyworks, Robinhood, and Webull do NOT use either Chex or EWS reports or their brokerage accounts!!! Hell... Even the personal banks I keep my money in that are established who have been in business for 10 to 15 years or more don’t use either of those reports! I guess SoFi thinks “they’re special”??? At any rate, I immediately closed BOTH accounts down after learning of Chex & EWS pull. And by the way... their investment reps like to play games on the phone and will answer a call and mute it and not say anything so that you’ll have to hang up and call back! Average wait time is almost an hour!!! This doesn’t even include the multiple times I was hung up on! Invest at your own risk with shady morons!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Initially, SoFi was great. I liked that they cover ATM fees, have a great and useful app and good customer service. However, they decided to stop honoring the deposit of checks with a signature on file (in my case my paychecks as an independent contractor) without notice, which really put me in a financial jam and they are not taking any responsibility for the lack of communication on this. Instead, I was told to let my employer know that they need to change how they issue paychecks to me. Since they decided they will not be honoring paychecks from my employer, we are taking our banking elsewhere. Beware of changing policies at a drop of a hat without notice.

Original review: July 25, 2020

Very hard to dispute a charge with this company, spoke to many agents sent many documentations and still my claim was declined. Even though the company that took my money failed to provide services the bank said the case is close. All my disputes with Bank of America and Chase was taken care of quickly and to my satisfaction never had I have to send so in many documents proving that my flight was canceled and I still have yet to get my money returned or a voucher for future service. Sofi said, "Oh well the case is closed." I will be sticking to Bank of America and chase and be closing this account in a few months and move all my money out of it.

SoFi Money Company Information