Find a VA Loans partner

3. VA Loans

4.9/5 (268 ratings)
Find a VA Loans partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Veterans United

Veterans United Home Loans is a mortgage lender that specializes in Veterans Affairs loans. The lender secures home purchase financing for veterans, active-duty military and their spouses. Veterans United originates loans and serves customers all across the U.S.

Pros

• Competitive rates
  • Provides educational resources
  • Serves all 50 states

Cons

• No HELOC product

Bottom Line

Veterans United is a VA loan lender that makes the homebuying process easier for active and retired military members and their spouses.

Top Veterans United Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am active duty military, and was trying to buy my first home. Veterans United assisted my wife and I with the process of home buying, and we had an amazing experience! I highly ...

Verified

...I highly recommend Veterans United, they make the process very easy to become a homeowner. Work with the staff and get the documents they require and the process will go smooth...

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Veterans United?

Veterans United Home Loans is a mortgage lender that specializes in Veterans Affairs (VA) loans and VA refinances loans for active and retired members of the armed forces and spouses of active or retired military personnel.

Veterans United's VA Loans are:

• Federally-backed
  • Require 0% down
  • Require no private mortgage insurance
  • Have competitive interest rates

You can use Veterans United loans to purchase single-family homes, condos, manufactured homes, modular homes and multiunit properties.

Veterans United mortgage rates and fees

All mortgage rates fluctuate, but VA loans tend to have lower interest rates than other types of mortgages because they are backed by the federal government. Veterans United provides a VA mortgage rates page on its website that is updated daily with current interest rates and annual percentage rates. Your credit score, loan type, duration and current market conditions all affect the interest rate you’re offered.

The Department of Veterans Affairs typically charges a VA funding fee on the total loan amount. The fee is based on the total amount of your loan; it’s usually a few thousand dollars. Veterans United provides an easy-to-use calculator on its website that lets you estimate your fee. The VA does not charge a VA funding fee to surviving spouses, military members who have a disability rating above 10% and Purple Heart recipients.

Veterans United loan process

Veterans United outlines its process in five steps: preapproval, home search, getting under contract, underwriting and closing.

To be preapproved, you need a FICO credit score of at least 620. You also need to provide Veterans United with the following applicable documents:

• A copy of a government-issued ID, like a driver’s license
  • A copy of your DD-214 or reserve/guard points statements
  • A statement of service for active-duty personnel
  • Pay stubs for the last two years
  • W-2s for the last two years
  • Recent bank statements
  • Copy of any disability award letters

Once it has the required documentation, Veterans United provides a preapproval letter that states the loan amount for which you qualify. Borrowers show this letter to realtors and sellers during their home search to show they have the means to make a purchase and are serious buyers.

Once under contract, a third-party appraisal, home inspection (if desired) and minimum property requirements check must occur for financing to be officially secured.

The minimum home requirements for a VA loan include:

• Working heating, cooling and electrical systems
  • Access to clean water and sanitary facilities
  • Roof in good condition
  • Sufficient size for living
  • Lead-free paint
  • Wood free of termites, fungus and dry rot
  • Adequate sewage disposal
  • Accessibility from an all-weather public or private street
  • Properly ventilated attics and crawl spaces

While a complete home inspection is not required to obtain a VA home loan, Veterans United does recommend one. After these checks occur, you are clear to close the loan and move into your new home.

Veterans United FAQ

Is there a minimum credit score requirement?
Yes. A credit score of 620 is typically required.
Does Veterans United have an office in my area?
Veterans United has offices in 21 states, but the company services loans in all 50 states. Veterans United offers online services for people living in areas without a local office.

You can find Veterans United branches in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

What is the maximum loan I can get with Veterans United?
Veterans United offers VA loans and VA jumbo loans. Borrowers can secure loans up to $1.5 million through Veterans United.
Can I get a home equity loan with Veterans United?
Unfortunately, no. Veterans United does not offer a home equity loan or HELOC, but you can refinance your loan with Veterans United.

Is Veterans United a good lender?

Many of Veterans United’s customers praise the company for its helpful staff and smooth process. The company has customer service representatives available 24/7, and its website is informative, interactive and user-friendly. Prospective borrowers can start their application process online, and the company offers a complimentary credit counseling service to customers.

Veterans United Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Veterans United?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

After spending nearly 7 months dealing with another For Veterans Home Mortgage company and getting the absolute runaround... I came upon the Veterans United Website and said why not... My experience up to this point was horrific... No calls for weeks... Oh we need more info... No communication again for weeks... We are going to close in 2 days... 2 weeks later... We need more info... Rinse and repeat...6 months...

Then I reached out to Veterans United (while still trying to close with this other company) Here is what I was met with... Courteous! Respectful! Mindful! Helpful! Honest! This list could go for days!!!! All Positive!!! It was absolutely refreshing to have a Team of Professionals who genuinely care and want to service your financial needs!!! Totally Amazing group of people who strive to deliver exactly what I wanted and needed!!! Scott ** is AMAZING!!! His partner in this was Blair **... She was AMAZING!!! They both reached out and kept the lines of communication open and ongoing... Very little pause times where you are left wondering what is going on....

They were on top of everything and constantly giving you feedback as to where we are in the process!!! The little extra they do to make you feel wanted and needed as a customer!!! Scott and Blair... Thank You!!! Scott ** and Blair *** are 2 high quality people who WILL make it happen!!!! So Blessed you were brought into my family's life!!! So the best part of this story is that ON THE day my loan was approved with Veterans United I finally get an email from the other place saying they needed more information to close the loan... Happily, I got to tell them that I had already closed with Veterans United and would be terminating our loan application!!! Oh, and it only took 25 days!!! Scott and Blair... World Class Customer Service and Care!!!

Original review: July 1, 2021

Original we started with Veterans United Home Loans (VU) in North Carolina looking for a potential new home in Florida in 2020. Taylor ** with VU assisted us from day one. We had a change in plans, we decided to move instead to Virginia due to a job offer back in November. Once we decided this Taylor immediately connected us with a Veterans United Realtor (Jason **) and Loan Officer (Aaron **) in the Virginia and surrounding D.C. areas in late 2020 and eventually into 2021.

First time meeting Jason via virtual video due to COVID restrictions. Right off the bat, Jason was very professional, upbeat, very knowledgeable and walked us through the whole home buying process. We received multiple home listings and after a while, roughly several months we decided on 5 homes to look at in person. Mind you we were commuting back and forth from North Carolina to Virginia for work.

We set up the meet and greet with Jason, at the first new custom built home we wanted to look at first. When we came up to meet Jason for the first time we drove right by the new construction home and Jason as well. Jason immediately called and said, “Is that you in the Subaru SUV?” We said, Yes and he said, “You just passed me and the new house.” We started to laugh and we thought this couldn’t be the house because it was a framed house covered with the barrier protection plastic. Plus, the photo of the new listing was showing a home already built, not the case. Now that we think about it, this home was gift wrapped for us, we just didn’t know it at the time.

Long story short we parked the vehicles at the bottom of the driveway, because it wasn’t set up for ordinary vehicles just yet. The home was only accessible by the garage and basement doors. The entire house was only framed, no walls, no HVAC, no utilities, nothing just a hollow home. This new custom built home had a lot of potential and we even meet with the builder MMC Contracting LLC Donnie **; and his Realtor Scott **. Donnie mentioned the home was originally being built for his daughter however, they decided to build another home on one of his properties and decided to list this home.

We then went to four other homes in the area and none of the homes came close to this one. We decided on making an offer on the new custom home construction. Jason made the arrangements and we have owned many homes in the past and this would be our first custom built home. The builder accepted our offer and from that point until we closed on our home June 28th Jason and his Team, Aaron and his Team and the Title Company made our dreams come true.

The VU website was very user friendly and made it easy to follow along with the process of purchasing our home. We enjoyed the videos on how to, what to expect, next process and the things to do. Thank you for making this a wonderful experience, professionalism and keeping us up to date and continuously answering all our questions throughout the process. We would recommend Veterans United Home Loans to anyone. Thank you for helping us find our forever home.

Once again we would like to extend our gratitude, appreciation and humbling experience and a thank you to Veterans United, Shepherd Homes Group, Allied Title & Escrow, MMC Contracting LLC to Jason **, Aaron **, Donnie **, Scott **, Tegan **, Rita **, Sharon **, Andie **, Jen **, Maneja **, Taylor **, Amelia **, Brian **, Aldo **, Shelby ** and to anyone else we might have forgotten. Thank you for our Spectacular new custom built home. Domingo & Spring

Get buying tips about VA Loan Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2021

I was looking to purchase a house and my mother-in-law reminded me that as the widow of a veteran, I might be able to qualify for a VA loan. I researched several companies before deciding to reach out to Veterans United and I still say that that was one of the wisest decisions I ever made. Based on the experiences I've had with other businesses, I was already resigned to fight against the erroneous stigma that #1 a woman alone equates to low-hanging fruit and #2 lost 50 IQ points when her husband passed. Add to that, I was a first time home buyer so I was prepared for just darned near anything.

Oh was I ever proven wrong! They treated me with dignity and respect, were unfailingly patient, treated me like a real, live, intelligent human being instead of a case number, kept me in the loop every step of the way, explained everything every step of the way in everyday English, periodically checked in with me just to see how I was getting along and in general, made this the smoothest, most pleasant business transaction that I have ever been involved in. They absolutely proved that they genuinely care about their clients and will do everything possible to see the process all the way to a successful conclusion. Every other business out there should take lessons from them!

Original review: April 22, 2021

I was ready to buy a house and researched, researched, researched, home loan institutions that catered to the VA. There are quite a few but none had the ratings that Veterans United did. From the moment I called the Veterans United number the people on the other end of the line went from being nameless, faceless people to a team of dedicated specialists with two goals in mind. Making me a member of the team and guiding me through every part of the loan process to ensure that everything goes smoothly and I experience the least amount of anxiety and dread as possible.

In all actuality, it was one of the easiest things I ever did. Eric ** was my loan officer. Actually, he was more like my counselor. LOL I know I pestered him because I was always calling him to ask an obscure question about rates, fine print, what if? Oh by the way and... and... and... He took my OCD, (CDO) in stride and guided me through the process. As he did he explained everything to me (Dumbed things down) and made a process that we have all been taught to fear an easy and pleasant experience.

Honorable mentions go to Randy ** and Erin **. Randy also helped me in the process and tagged teamed with Eric in the beginning. He was super helpful as well and equally dedicated to me securing my loan. Erin.... what can I say? Erin is glue that holds everything together. She’s the little ** kicker in the background that makes sure that the incomprehensible and maddening amount of paperwork is perfect. T’s crossed and I’s dotted. Sign here please! She’s actually the one person I pestered more than Eric. She always sent me a quick breakdown of every part of the process which was great because, well, who has time to look at 50 pages on their iPhone without their reading glasses?

Every time I heard the “new message” ding on my phone letting me know Erin had just sent something I was always driving or standing in line LOL so those 1 to 3 page breakdowns were great and helped me see and understand everything that was going on. Actually because of synopsis, I was able to spot one small discrepancy which Eric immediately corrected and all was well. Between Eric putting it together and Erin getting it done it, not only was I approved, locked in at a (GREAT INTEREST RATE) and able to close on the exact date... I could have actually closed 1 week earlier but the person selling my house took a week to get a document the VA that they needed. This was in all reality, the easiest thing I have ever done. No stress, no anxiety, no muss no fuss. So if you’re serious about buying a house and you want to use the VA to do it. Give Eric ** a call you wont be disappointed.

Original review: April 19, 2021

My husband (Tim) and I started working with Veterans United over a year ago when we started preparing for an out-of-state move. Our plans were delayed for many months and we didn't follow up on things. Then, earlier this year, I was reminded of them after seeing videos of them paying off mortgages for a dozen or so Veterans this past Veterans Day. I cried through each one as I witnessed the company's mission and culture in action.

When we finally found "the house," the Veterans United team made it incredibly easy to update our information via their easy to navigate portal and generate a same-day pre-approval letter. We worked with Danny K. and his team (Brian) who have been awesome. They communicated regularly and clearly to make sure that we knew what was required from us each step of the way. We were so appreciative of how quickly the team responded to voice messages and emails when we had questions... and I had LOTS of questions! When we had delays in closing due to the seller, Danny helped us with our interest rate lock extension and explained how that affected our situation.

Danny and his Veterans United team were always professional, caring, and attentive to our needs as borrowers. I am happy to refer people, because of the excellent service we've experienced. Danny's team knows how to actually SERVE his clients and how to understand their needs, and that's a rare quality nowadays. A big THANK YOU! Tim & Sandi **, happy homeowners

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

We opted for Veterans United for our first loan and came back a second time for a reason. I am grateful we did and we will use VU in the future. Your customer service has been exemplary. Thank you for your consistent reliability and accessibility, but most importantly a genuine care about my family and I while my spouse was deployed during the house buying process.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Veterans United is a great company to work with, they all have the best interest with what the customers wants. They are very communicative with the whole process, and no question is a stupid question with them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

The The professionalism with Nate‘s extends beyond just Nate. His entire team is the exactly same, they’re all super professional they’re all super easy to talk to and they’re all super nice. I would recommend anybody on earth to this amazing team of home experts because that is truly what they are, experts, in every sense of the word!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

As a veteran owning a home was a big thing to me and our family. The team at Veterans United went above and beyond to get us into a home of our own. If you need a mortgage lender, there is no reason to go anywhere else. Call Veterans United and let them help you get into the home of your dreams, they made it happen for us. Thank you again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

If you are a military veteran and looking to get a home, don't choose just any random agency. We served our country and here at Veterans Home Loan Agency they make it out of their way to return the favor, no matter how miniscule you might think. Give them a chance fam, you won't be disappointed.

Veterans United Company Information