2. Mortgages
  3. VA Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.66/5

Veterans United Home Loans is a mortgage lender that specializes in Veterans Affairs loans. The lender secures home purchase financing for veterans, active-duty military and their spouses. Veterans United originates loans and serves customers all across the U.S.

BOTTOM LINE

Veterans United is a VA loan lender that makes the homebuying process easier for active and retired military members and their spouses.

PROS

• Competitive rates
  • Provides educational resources
  • Serves all 50 states

CONS

• No HELOC product

Top Veterans United Reviews We Found

I am active duty military, and was trying to buy my first home. Veterans United assisted my wife and I with the process of home buying, and we had an amazing experience! I highly recommend Veterans United when it comes to buying a home for the first time, especially when you are forward deployed. Thank you Veterans United for all that you do to support the military!

If you are thinking about buying a home I highly recommend Veterans United, they make the process very easy to become a homeowner. Work with the staff and get the documents they require and the process will go smoothly. I never thought I would own a home but thanks to Veterans United I'm a proud homeowner!

What is Veterans United?

Veterans United Home Loans is a mortgage lender that specializes in Veterans Affairs (VA) loans and VA refinances loans for active and retired members of the armed forces and spouses of active or retired military personnel.

Veterans United's VA Loans are:

• Federally-backed
    • Require 0% down
    • Require no private mortgage insurance
    • Have competitive interest rates

You can use Veterans United loans to purchase single-family homes, condos, manufactured homes, modular homes and multiunit properties.

Veterans United mortgage rates and fees

All mortgage rates fluctuate, but VA loans tend to have lower interest rates than other types of mortgages because they are backed by the federal government. Veterans United provides a VA mortgage rates page on its website that is updated daily with current interest rates and annual percentage rates. Your credit score, loan type, duration and current market conditions all affect the interest rate you’re offered.

The Department of Veterans Affairs typically charges a VA funding fee on the total loan amount. The fee is based on the total amount of your loan; it’s usually a few thousand dollars. Veterans United provides an easy-to-use calculator on its website that lets you estimate your fee. The VA does not charge a VA funding fee to surviving spouses, military members who have a disability rating above 10% and Purple Heart recipients.

Veterans United loan process

Veterans United outlines its process in five steps: preapproval, home search, getting under contract, underwriting and closing.

To be preapproved, you need a FICO credit score of at least 620. You also need to provide Veterans United with the following applicable documents:

• A copy of a government-issued ID, like a driver’s license
    • A copy of your DD-214 or reserve/guard points statements
    • A statement of service for active-duty personnel
    • Pay stubs for the last two years
    • W-2s for the last two years
    • Recent bank statements
    • Copy of any disability award letters

Once it has the required documentation, Veterans United provides a preapproval letter that states the loan amount for which you qualify. Borrowers show this letter to realtors and sellers during their home search to show they have the means to make a purchase and are serious buyers.

Once under contract, a third-party appraisal, home inspection (if desired) and minimum property requirements check must occur for financing to be officially secured.

The minimum home requirements for a VA loan include:

• Working heating, cooling and electrical systems
    • Access to clean water and sanitary facilities
    • Roof in good condition
    • Sufficient size for living
    • Lead-free paint
    • Wood free of termites, fungus and dry rot
    • Adequate sewage disposal
    • Accessibility from an all-weather public or private street
    • Properly ventilated attics and crawl spaces

While a complete home inspection is not required to obtain a VA home loan, Veterans United does recommend one. After these checks occur, you are clear to close the loan and move into your new home.

Veterans United FAQ

Is there a minimum credit score requirement?
    Yes. A credit score of 620 is typically required.
    Does Veterans United have an office in my area?
    Veterans United has offices in 21 states, but the company services loans in all 50 states. Veterans United offers online services for people living in areas without a local office.

You can find Veterans United branches in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

What is the maximum loan I can get with Veterans United?
    Veterans United offers VA loans and VA jumbo loans. Borrowers can secure loans up to $1.5 million through Veterans United.
    Can I get a home equity loan with Veterans United?
    Unfortunately, no. Veterans United does not offer a home equity loan or HELOC, but you can refinance your loan with Veterans United.

Is Veterans United a good lender?

Many of Veterans United’s customers praise the company for its helpful staff and smooth process. The company has customer service representatives available 24/7, and its website is informative, interactive and user-friendly. Prospective borrowers can start their application process online, and the company offers a complimentary credit counseling service to customers.

Veterans United Reviews

Original review: April 23, 2020

When the time came to purchase a home and use my VA benefits, I was somewhat unsure of what that entailed, and if it could be done in the timeframe I needed. I reached out to Veterans United to determine if this was feasible for my situation, and if they could provide me any information to help in making a decision. After speaking with a loan specialist, Randelle, I felt very confident that we could get it done. VU provided a wealth of resources to explain the entire process in a user friendly manner that was easily comprehensible. My loan team went to work immediately and did not look back.

VU put me in touch with an amazing buyers agent who helped us find a great home. From the initial phone call to the closing, they have been outstanding. All of this while we combat COVID-19 no less. I highly recommend Veterans United if you are even just thinking about buying a home. Use the resources they have and feel free to ask them anything. There really were no stupid questions. Thanks again VU and especially Sam, Ryan, & Randelle. We got it done!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I had an overall great experience with Veterans United and the entire process of closing on our new home. Our lender Mitch ** was a joy to work with and was great about dealing with my one million weekly questions and need to be overly thorough, to the point of almost tedious. I'm a very organized person and need to know and understand every last little thing, especially when dealing with something as huge and life changing as buying a house. Mitch was patient and great about making me feel comfortable.

The closing process went smoothly and we closed on time, which is all I could really ask for. The only reason I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5, is because Veterans United did have the highest interest rate compared to another lender we spoke to. A 3.875 vs a 3.3%. We chose to stick with Veterans United due to our needed time frame however and just purchased mortgage points to bring our rate down from the 3.875% to a 3.6%. I feel their rates could be a little more competitive, however aside from that, the process was smooth and worry free for the most part. I would recommend them to others.

Get buying tips about VA Loan Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

We had a foreclosure pop up on a property we had to walk away ten years ago! Everyone said that the situation we found ourselves in was unheard of. One previous lender dropped us and said we could not get approved for a loan at this time. Veterans United went to bat for us! Zack ** and Sean ** were my “Dream Team”. A VA exception was granted and after the easiest loan process ever we are now once again homeowners in our beautiful new home state of Colorado. This was our second VA loan, the other one being in Florida several years ago. Different” players” different state but the same great experience!

I would never use another lender EVER! Veterans United has us as a customer for life! And our daughter and her Veteran husband just are about to close on their new home with Veterans United! Other lenders can probably get your VA loan approved but I know Veterans United will be your best choice!!! We owe them a debt of gratitude!! Thank you Zack and Sean!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Veterans United is the total package! From the first phone call to the closing, The team at Veterans United worked to answer my questions, helped me facilitate the loan process, and assisted me with all the other aspects of the buying and closing process. Veterans United assisted me in connecting with a Real Estate Agent who was extremely knowledgeable about VA loans (and ultimately helped us find our dream house), a Title Company to handle the paperwork, and a team of people to process the paperwork as it came in. There was a constant flow of communication: Shane **, Molly ** and the other members of Shane's team stayed in touch with us and helped us process the paperwork as quickly as possible. The website made everything easy, and was extremely informative about every step of the process. Based on my experience I would not hesitate to use their services again, or recommend Veterans United to others.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

After living in an apartment for several years, I came across a Veterans United home loan ad while surfing the internet to pass the time. I decided to call them on a whim, not really expecting anything to come of fruition since my credit wasn’t exactly A1. After leaving a message, they contacted me within the hour and with a quick check of my status, informed me that I was definitely eligible for a substantial home loan at a great interest rate. From that point, the process was smooth and almost seamless. My loan officer Ryan was great and guided me through the process every step of the way in a very professional, personable, and efficient manner.

What I thought to be improbable turned out to be a fantastic reality. Thanks to Veterans United, my family and I now live in a beautiful home. My wife and kids were good sports living in that old apartment and now it is such a blessing to finally give them what they deserve. As a veteran, I can’t imagine doing business with any other home loan service. Thanks Veterans United for making it possible for me to live the American Dream!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Veterans United?

Original review: June 6, 2020

My lending team was very professional and persistent with information and answers I had questions about. It is hard to put trust in lenders nowadays but Kody and Holly took very good care of me and guided me through the process. This team I do trust.

Original review: June 5, 2020

My wife called them to get some information and they pulled my credit report without permission or even talking to me. We aren't looking at buying a home for at least another 6 months. Nathan, the "CEO" acts like 40 year old child along with his shady team of dufus employees. They are nothing more than a bunch of scammers taking advantage of veterans. I just hope they don't upset the wrong one...

Original review: May 24, 2020

Veterans United went above and beyond to helped me purchase my very first home right before my 62 Birthday???? And during a pandemic! Lisa United States Marine Corps Veteran???? #ProudVeteranHomeowner!???

Original review: May 23, 2020

Veterans United was great to work with and I would recommend them to all my family and friends. They are very friendly and easy to work with, they answered all my questions in a timely manner. I would definitely use them again. They do great things for Veterans.

Original review: May 21, 2020

This company stayed with us through the entire home buying process and I would recommend them to a friend. They answered all our questions and were very prompt in all they did. They were very courteous and a pleasure to deal with.

Veterans United Company Information