2. Mortgages
  3. VA Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.68/5

Veterans United Home Loans is a mortgage lender that specializes in Veterans Affairs loans. The lender secures home purchase financing for veterans, active-duty military and their spouses. Veterans United originates loans and serves customers all across the U.S.

BOTTOM LINE

Veterans United is a VA loan lender that makes the homebuying process easier for active and retired military members and their spouses.

PROS
  • Competitive rates
  • Provides educational resources
  • Serves all 50 states
CONS
  • No HELOC product

Top Veterans United Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Veterans United?

I am active duty military, and was trying to buy my first home. Veterans United assisted my wife and I with the process of home buying, and we had an amazing experience! I highly recommend Veterans United when it comes to buying a home for the first time, especially when you are forward deployed.

...I highly recommend Veterans United, they make the process very easy to become a homeowner. Work with the staff and get the documents they require and the process will go smoothly. I never thought I would own a home but thanks to Veterans United I'm a proud homeowner!

What is Veterans United?

Veterans United Home Loans is a mortgage lender that specializes in Veterans Affairs (VA) loans and VA refinances loans for active and retired members of the armed forces and spouses of active or retired military personnel.

Veterans United's VA Loans are:

• Federally-backed
    • Require 0% down
    • Require no private mortgage insurance
    • Have competitive interest rates

You can use Veterans United loans to purchase single-family homes, condos, manufactured homes, modular homes and multiunit properties.

Veterans United mortgage rates and fees

All mortgage rates fluctuate, but VA loans tend to have lower interest rates than other types of mortgages because they are backed by the federal government. Veterans United provides a VA mortgage rates page on its website that is updated daily with current interest rates and annual percentage rates. Your credit score, loan type, duration and current market conditions all affect the interest rate you’re offered.

The Department of Veterans Affairs typically charges a VA funding fee on the total loan amount. The fee is based on the total amount of your loan; it’s usually a few thousand dollars. Veterans United provides an easy-to-use calculator on its website that lets you estimate your fee. The VA does not charge a VA funding fee to surviving spouses, military members who have a disability rating above 10% and Purple Heart recipients.

Veterans United loan process

Veterans United outlines its process in five steps: preapproval, home search, getting under contract, underwriting and closing.

To be preapproved, you need a FICO credit score of at least 620. You also need to provide Veterans United with the following applicable documents:

• A copy of a government-issued ID, like a driver’s license
    • A copy of your DD-214 or reserve/guard points statements
    • A statement of service for active-duty personnel
    • Pay stubs for the last two years
    • W-2s for the last two years
    • Recent bank statements
    • Copy of any disability award letters

Once it has the required documentation, Veterans United provides a preapproval letter that states the loan amount for which you qualify. Borrowers show this letter to realtors and sellers during their home search to show they have the means to make a purchase and are serious buyers.

Once under contract, a third-party appraisal, home inspection (if desired) and minimum property requirements check must occur for financing to be officially secured.

The minimum home requirements for a VA loan include:

• Working heating, cooling and electrical systems
    • Access to clean water and sanitary facilities
    • Roof in good condition
    • Sufficient size for living
    • Lead-free paint
    • Wood free of termites, fungus and dry rot
    • Adequate sewage disposal
    • Accessibility from an all-weather public or private street
    • Properly ventilated attics and crawl spaces

While a complete home inspection is not required to obtain a VA home loan, Veterans United does recommend one. After these checks occur, you are clear to close the loan and move into your new home.

Veterans United FAQ

Is there a minimum credit score requirement?
    Yes. A credit score of 620 is typically required.
    Does Veterans United have an office in my area?
    Veterans United has offices in 21 states, but the company services loans in all 50 states. Veterans United offers online services for people living in areas without a local office.

You can find Veterans United branches in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

What is the maximum loan I can get with Veterans United?
    Veterans United offers VA loans and VA jumbo loans. Borrowers can secure loans up to $1.5 million through Veterans United.
    Can I get a home equity loan with Veterans United?
    Unfortunately, no. Veterans United does not offer a home equity loan or HELOC, but you can refinance your loan with Veterans United.

Is Veterans United a good lender?

Many of Veterans United’s customers praise the company for its helpful staff and smooth process. The company has customer service representatives available 24/7, and its website is informative, interactive and user-friendly. Prospective borrowers can start their application process online, and the company offers a complimentary credit counseling service to customers.

Veterans United Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Veterans United?

Original review: April 7, 2021

My situation was challenging and took some time. Josh ** and Matt ** were AMAZING. They not only obtained financing for me but educated me on what to do to get a lower rate. Taking that advice greatly improved my score. These two were very accessible and answered all of my questions to put me at ease and make a stressful process comforting and easy.

There are lots of companies that offer discounts for veterans simply for publicity. Veterans United truly cares for veterans and it is reflected both in their service to clients, availability, education on how to raise your score and lower your rate, and the fees. Additionally, some real estate agents here in Oregon refused to work with an "online" lender. My agent said that Veterans United was more accessible and easier to work with than most of her local lenders and this was her first time working with them. Friends have been shocked at how low my fees were. Josh ** and Matt ** will get all my referrals!!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

This is first house I ever bought and it was my first time using the VA Loan. Initially, I was nervous about the whole process, because this is a big purchase and big decision in my life. I didn't know anything about purchasing a house or even using the VA Loan. My loan and realtor team were very knowledgeable and assisted with any questions that I needed. Veteran United had plenty of resources and videos breaking down each step of the buying process. This also include technical terms that you don't use every day. I highly recommend to all my friends, families and veterans using their service. As a first time VA loan user and homebuyer they made my process from start to finish an easy process. This was easier than trying to get my DD-214 when I was trying to honorably discharge from the Navy.

Get buying tips about VA Loan Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I was recommended Veterans United and was a little unsure of using a company that wasn't based locally that I could deal with face to face. After the first phone call I was put at ease and couldn't believe all of the services that they offered. Austin and his team of professionals truly made the home buying experience so easy and smooth. They were easily accessible and always had answers. They set me up with a real estate agent that I could not rave more about. As the process moved along, they kept everything easy and explained every step that we would be taking, down to the smallest detail.

This was my second time buying a home and because of Austin and his team at Veterans United, this was a much better experience than the first time I used a local mortgage lender. I will be a returning customer when we move and buy again in a few years. I would recommend Veterans United to anyone looking for an easy home buying experience. If you do chose Veterans United, please ask for Austin **.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Carrie ** and Nina ** were the absolute best! If you are looking to purchase a home and are worried about the process. Veterans United is the lender you want the work with. From pre-approval to close, Carrie and Nina we so helpful, informative, and quick to respond to any of my questions. I wanted to Purchase a Condo in Dallas and although it's a can be a little more difficult due to some of the VA requirements, Carrie made sure that the place I found was VA approved and we started the process. I did all of my paperwork online and we closed in a very quick time frame. I submitted my initial contract on June 16th and closed on July 15th with the option to close on the 9th if I had wanted to! If you do the work on your end Veterans United will reciprocate and work just as hard. I highly recommend veterans united to anyone veterans looking to purchase a home! I would ask for Carrie ** because as i stated already, she is the absolute best!

Original review: April 23, 2020

When the time came to purchase a home and use my VA benefits, I was somewhat unsure of what that entailed, and if it could be done in the timeframe I needed. I reached out to Veterans United to determine if this was feasible for my situation, and if they could provide me any information to help in making a decision. After speaking with a loan specialist, Randelle, I felt very confident that we could get it done. VU provided a wealth of resources to explain the entire process in a user friendly manner that was easily comprehensible. My loan team went to work immediately and did not look back.

VU put me in touch with an amazing buyers agent who helped us find a great home. From the initial phone call to the closing, they have been outstanding. All of this while we combat COVID-19 no less. I highly recommend Veterans United if you are even just thinking about buying a home. Use the resources they have and feel free to ask them anything. There really were no stupid questions. Thanks again VU and especially Sam, Ryan, & Randelle. We got it done!

Original review: April 13, 2021

I just want to say that I got a VA loan and refinance my home through Veterans United. The Senior Loan Officer Andrew ** was great on getting the job done with very little time. He help us with my VA loan and got my house refinance with a better rate. I just want to thank him for an outstanding job on my VA Loan and refinance. All paperwork was fast and easy. Again!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! HOOAH!!

Original review: April 11, 2021

We are very thankful with Veterans United Home Loans for making our dream come true. Our team was very responsive to our needs and we will highly recommend this company to our friends. More power guys!

Original review: April 10, 2021

My veterans United team was extremely helpful from day one. My family and I are very excited and grateful to be homeowners. Cody ** and Kayla were the best to work with and very knowledgeable along with the real estate agent. Thanks VU!

Original review: April 9, 2021

The professionalism of the Veterans United staff was excellent from beginning to end. They listened to my needs and worked with me to get where I needed to be. They even worked with me to improve my credit score and debt to income ratio. I could not be happier with the service or the result.

Original review: April 8, 2021

My experience with Veterans United was stress free. They offered a step by step guidance to purchasing a home. I already knew the processes from my past experiences with other companies but if I wasn't educated how to buy a home or a procastinator with my responsibility; I feel confident that, Veterans United's services and their team would had carried me through the whole process until I had keys to my new home in my hand. Veterans United's employees communicated effectively to make my experience of buying a home smooth, quick, and systematic. My loan officer and his team was highly informative. I always knew what my tasks, the Realtor's, the my Loan Officer's next steps to effectively work as a team. They always followed up with me in a timely manner, they were never pushy but they were extremely professional. Highly Recommend!

Veterans United Company Information