4.54/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

80 Veterans United Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2019

After spending 26 years in the Marines deployed all over the world, I have come to realize that you need to have someone in your team who has your back so you can make it back home safe and sound. From the moment Matt ** called me from Veterans United Home Loans, I felt a sense of trust, honesty, esprit de corps and a true team player. He was very knowledgeable, informative and he allowed me to ask any question I had in my brain housing group (Marine term) and answered them where I was able to understand every step. He definitely made me feel confident that I was working with a great company who took pride on helping fellow veterans like myself. Helping us find our own safe haven so we can continue with our healing process after the war.

Matt also introduced me to Jake ** who was part of his team. They both kept me updated throughout the process making the loan acquisition process pretty smooth as it could be. In my humble opinion, Matt ** and his team are the best thing since slice bread and I feel honored and blessed they were part of the team to make this dream come true. I closed on my home last week without any issues. I truly appreciate Matt **, Jake ** and Veterans United Home Loans for their support, hard work and commitment to help this combat veteran find peace in his forever home close to family. Semper Fi!!!

Mario

United States Marine Corps

Original review: April 5, 2019

Called VU after seeing an ad on the internet, from the beginning the reps were always courteous. Their rep and I interviewed by phone to get me pre-qualified and pre approved after I got the needed documents uploaded to an account they had for me. Soon I met the next team member, the realtor. Emails back and forth to select homes to view created a nice list of choices. She was very helpful, courteous, and patient with me and wifey.

We found a house that we liked and placed a contract on it. We were contacted by the next team member for the financial portion of the process. The machine was making great progress until the weather put the builder behind schedule but all parties involved stayed on tasks as well as could be expected... then I was contacted to prepare to go to closing on our house. I was expecting high stress and long hours signing papers but surprisingly it was just the opposite. Thank you Veterans United. It was an impressive experience and you got me in a new home for my retirement years.

Get expert buying tips about VA Loan Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My experience with Veterans United was nothing but amazing from start to finish. Getting started my credit wasn’t where it needed to be, but they had their own people that took care of that and guided me through the process of getting it fixed. Once my score was where it needed to be I was handed to my loan officer. He made sure I was good to go and approved for what I needed. The website was very user friendly and once I got my approval was even able to customize and print my own offer letters for submitting offers. I thought that was a very nice feature since I was able to customize it with the address of the house I was bidding on and the offer amount instead of having a generic letter that showed my max amount approved for.

Before going into the underwriting phase I was introduced to the specialist that would be guiding me through that step. He did very well in explaining what was to be expected and what I would need. All needed documents were listed in my “To do” lost and I was able to upload them right away. At the end of the day the underwriting process was smooth and not an issue at all! I got the house I wanted and even made settlement on time. My team was great and have already recommended them to several people including my real estate agent.

Original review: April 1, 2019

The reason we chose Veterans United initially was due to Darci **'s impeccable customer service, follow-up and the overwhelming number of VU positive reviews. From that point forward our team consisting of Ben **, Senior Loan Officer and Kat **, Transaction Coordinator immediately reached out to us to answer any questions. Our situation was that our apartment lease was ending in mid-April and our closing would require precise timing three months out. During the initial process I was dredging the paper process but to my surprise the cloud based technology website was outstanding. I simply uploaded the documents required in the To Do List; and then saw when those items were completed on VU end.

The whole process was a breeze, including a most friendly staff, always answering any concerns, returned emails, texts and phone calls extremely fast. Everything was always explained in terms that we could understand and never felt rushed. In the final stages, the closing date was held on the very day that we required. I would highly recommend Veterans United and especially Ben ** and his team if you want professionals that is knowledgeable, trustworthy and fun to do business with. Great Job!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I had the distinct pleasure and honor of working with my Loan Officer Eric **, and my Transaction Coordinator, Desi **. From the initial contact and loan application, all the way through closing, I felt I was on a high speed, fast track, ultra efficient, path to home ownership. As a matter of fact, had it not been for a third party provided document that had a typo that needed to be redone and resubmitted, start to close would have been accomplished in 17 days. Nonetheless, my team was able to, I was told, tie the record for quickest successful completion just over 20 days. I was blown away with the professionalism, efficiency, determination, and process knowledge of both Eric and Desi.

I also have to mention the web portal for uploading and reviewing documents, showing the status of your process, what an amazing feature to make the entire process so streamlined and efficient. From phone calls, text messages, emails, and their constant attention to detail on the web portal, my team was THE most incredible team anyone could ask for, I am grateful and appreciative! I SALUTE my team and Veterans United for being there every step of the way as they promised, I'm proud to say I am a Veteran Home Owner because of Eric, Desi, and Veterans United!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Veterans United?

Original review: May 21, 2019

Veterans United bent over backwards to make this deal work. There were various hiccups along the way, but my loan officer, Dylan, and his team made sure to communicate the status at each stage. My loan team really took care of me!

Original review: May 20, 2019

If you qualify for this loan there is no reason not to use it. Excellent perks and a professional team. They really do care about you and making sure you get the right home. They recommended a realtor that was very professional. Overall fantastic experience working with Veterans United.

Original review: May 20, 2019

First I would just like to thank Veterans United Home Loans and everyone that I have worked with from the entire home buying experience. This starts with Jamie ** which is the first person I talked to to begin everything. I would also thank Kristen ** for the fast process to get everything in order to get the pre-approval which only took about a week once I provided what I needed to. This was our first home we ever bought and I honestly couldn't have asked for a better company or better employees that worked on my loans to include Military United (insurance). I heard of big of a pain it was to buy a house but to be honest this wasn't a pain at all, a long process but this is understandable and didn't expect anything less. Again thank Jamie for getting my wife and I through the process and thank Veterans United and giving us our first home.

Original review: May 18, 2019

What an amazing company. One of the most pleasant experiences I’ve had with any company in any regard. Absolutely recommend them for every type of home buyer! Laura and Kelly are two of the most pleasant people I’ve met and I’ll certainly be coming back.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Andrew, Joe and Jenny were very professional and created a very fluid process. I highly recommend them to anyone looking to purchase a home! You will not be disappointed. The team started the process with a very detailed explanation of what to expect, so I never felt in the dark. They were there to answer questions for me at all times. Great Team!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had problems because the city had screwed up the zoning and yet they worked with me for more than a year to get the loan closed. VA loans can be complicated and yet they stood by and helped every step of the way when Navy FCU did nothing but blow me off.

Original review: May 11, 2019

This is the second VA loan we have done with Veterans United in addition to a refi. Joe ** has been our anchor through it all three times. He's the best. Period.

We would not hesitate one second to use Veterans United or Joe ** again.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I highly recommend Veterans United Home Loans! Very knowledgeable about working with VA and they communicate with you in terms you can understand! Thank you!! We were told what was needed and it was mainly all online, so it was easy to access my account and see the next steps. They also keep you updated on where you are in the process of buying your home.

Original review: May 8, 2019

As a Navy Veteran and first time home buyer the whole team at Veterans United made our buying experience as pain free and as pleasant as possible. They treated us with a personal touch and the utmost professionalism, from our Loan Officer Jesse **, Loan Coordinator Lauren **, Senior Home Loan Consultant Kristina **, to our Realtor Myla **. My wife and I would highly recommend giving Veterans United a call if you're a Vet or a first time buyer looking for the best help in a step by step buying experience on the market. Thank you Veterans United for making our dream of becoming homeowners come true. Mr. & Mrs. Greg **.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Veterans United was a real joy to work with and Andy ** and his staff were professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Veterans United processed my Re-Fi in about 4 weeks and the entire process was smooth and simple. Their years of experience in servicing VA loans is very evident in the fact that they processed my loan quickly and in a manner that made me feel confident in their abilities. I would highly recommend Veterans United to any Veteran needing a home loan service.

Original review: May 1, 2019

My loan officer "Shane" was very informative and helpful, he made the transition to my new home incredibly simple. Shane was also available whenever I called to answer any question related to my loan process that I had. I experienced a very smooth and organized process. I would definitely recommend Veterans United to any potential home buyers. Thank you Veterans United for getting me into my first beautiful home.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Our loan officer was very helpful and responsive. She responded quickly when we had questions and kept us in the loop at each step. Veterans United had a clear checklist that guided us through the process. Smoothest mortgage process I have ever experienced.

Original review: April 28, 2019

April 2019. We are Veterans and when we needed a home loan we turned to Veterans United. We received impeccable service and was quite please with the ease in securing our loan, the politeness of the staff and we ultimately closed our loan and moved into our new home. Perfect, right? On the surface so it seems until trouble came. Our home was damaged by a hurricane and shortly after by a soft tissue overflow that destroyed our upper bath, laundry room, and garage. Of course we were devastated but we had our homeowners insurance through Armed Forces Insurance, recommended at loan by Veterans United.

We contacted them and they worked with us. The agent was responsive and tried to get a check to us quickly to clean up the feces water that was covering several areas of our home. But hold up, Veterans United stepped in and insisted that their name be added to the check along with my name and my wife name.

Then, Veterans United demanded we sign over the check to them and insisted they will not sign the check over to us. So, after two weeks we gave in, after all we are the ones sitting in feces water and need repairs to our house. We then asked Veterans for our money to do the repairs and we were told we must complete the repairs and then they will refund the amount of check over to us. So now we are in a bad position. Three months and $18,000 out of pocket expense our repairs were completed. Of course we fell behind on our mortgage trying to fix our home. But we had some security under the VA hurricane plan. We begged Veterans United for our refund to apply to our home and that took another three months or so. Then they put us on this plan that paid our mortgage and about 300 towards the past balance, again a plan offered by the VA. However, every month the plan cancel and we were required to pay more money.

This went on for six months and caused major frustrations. Veterans United began coming more and more difficult to work with and tried to get us to accept one of their loan modification plan even though we were meeting the terms of the plan under the VA hurricane plan. We continued to refuse and they continued to be difficult. Finally, they filed a foreclosure on our property even though they were telling us that they were not going to foreclose for $9000. Once we received the notice from their attorney, we got no notice from them that they filed a foreclosure, we filed bankruptcy to stop the foreclosure. This made the true colors of Veterans United show. They went from saying, "Thank you for your service to our country," to "You will need to call back. We cannot help you right now." They are still the holder of our mortgage but we cannot speak to anyone and our calls get the same attention each time we call, none.

So why are they treating us this way? We purchased our home with $40K in equity and the equity is now over 100K so they did everything to undermine us and steal our home. Even after filing bankruptcy they tried to offer a loan modification rather than us filing bankruptcy but we knew better than to fall for any more of their tricks. And because all their attempts to take our home has failed they have added all sorts of fees to our monthly bill to try and make it difficult for us to pay the mortgage but if we have to go without light, gas, food, or water, they will never get our home.

Think twice before you sign with them, take your documents to an independent attorney for review if you do, and be mindful about anything and everything you sign. Oh, and they have shut us out of online access to pay our bill but that's ok because we prefer to send a certified money order. We wish you the best in your purchase.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Purchasing a home can be a daunting experience. Veterans United made the process as simple as possible. My loan team was always accessible by phone or email and were quick to respond. The online portal made document upload easy and secure. I would highly recommend Veterans United!

Original review: April 23, 2019

The home buying process can be intimidating but Mason ** team at Veterans United makes a very in depth process go by smoothly and seemingly effortlessly. Everyone was so helpful and worked very hard to help us every step of the way. Their communication is prompt, precise, and genuine. I will forever be coming back to Veterans United to work with such skilled professionals.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I did a lot of research before selecting a lender for my mortgage. I got my initial preapproval through USAA, whom I love, but their customer service was not as welcoming as Veterans United. I highly recommend Veterans United to all of my friends and military buddies.

Original review: April 19, 2019

A offer was put on my house in January 2019. Was to close February 28, 2019. Didn’t happen. We are in April and they are saying end of month. Sadly with more than 5 extensions and not house sell I’m talking with a lawyers for the negligence of money lost as a homeowner for storages and hotel costs. With all that’s happened my mother whom lives with me is having health issues due to the move that can’t be accommodative for living in situation like we are waiting on the house loan process to finish.

Chase blaming VA, VA saying they got what they need but always requesting more... Both are at fault and costing two families money for families in hotels and they sleeping fine with this all still happening. Loans don’t take this long and GREG ** in Vegas is a liar. Never deal with that’s brand off of SKY HARBOR. They are a joke. I have had this loan process flagged every day so it keeps rolling. Worst experience ever and I’m the seller and again today told that there maybe more paperwork needed from the buyers. Lol this isn’t funny anymore. It’s pathetic. Your process requires more paperwork. You are better getting a regular loan with less hassle and shorter time. ;) happy reading.

Original review: April 17, 2019

From the first day to the last our home buying experience was made easy and stress-free!!! The team was helpful always available for me to reach out to. Veterans United is amazing. Jeremy and Amanda were so supportive. I could not be more pleased.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Nick and his team are absolute professionals, and they are the ones you want in your corner. We were first time home buyers, and they made the process so painless and easy for us. We knew what to do and when to do it. They were patient, thoughtful, and honest. Nick was never in a rush to get me off the phone. He answered every question I threw at him. He sent me to read the customer reviews about him, the good and the bad. He was completely transparent and upfront. I got pre-approval letters from two other companies. Picking Veterans United was the best decision I could have made.

Original review: April 16, 2019

They are great people and very helpful. The loan process went much smoother then I expected. Very easy to upload documents required. Many as simple as taking a picture of the document and uploading it. Very happy with outcome! I’m now a veteran homeowner!

Original review: April 12, 2019

Using Veterans United was one of my best decisions. My loan team was very engaged throughout the whole process and gave me multiple options to consider when deciding which would best meet my financial needs. The website is very user friendly and the efforts/means of communication are unmatched. Thank you Chris, Meghan and everyone else in the background for making this a very pleasant experience!

Original review: April 12, 2019

My experience couldn’t have been better. They made me feel like I could ask them anything anytime. Very tentative to my needs. Brad ** and his team have all the praise in the world from me. I’m sure I’m not the only one either.

Original review: April 12, 2019

After checking out companies who purportedly claim to represent veterans and service personnel with hyped-up service, my wife and I settled on Veterans United. From the initial phone call through closing, the process, people and professionalism of this organization stand above all others, head-and-shoulders. The team is patient, thorough and responsive to questions, needs and concerns. It's not just words and commercials, it's actions. Hands down... Veterans United is THE BEST!!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

We used Veterans United for our last two home purchases. They are so easy to work with. The online aspect is so easy to use. It made everything flow so smoothly. All my questions were promptly answered. The service given relieved a lot of stress in a very stressful time of life. Even the realtor and the Title company commented on how easy it was to work with Veterans United.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The loan staff was great to work with. Answered all questions. Was polite and kind. Stayed in touch by website on what was needed which was great and convenient. Made process faster and easier. I would recommend them to all veterans to use.

Veterans United expert review by Michele Lerner

This veteran-focused loan company only handles VA home loans. Their website has a lot of information about veterans loans and refinancing options, including calculators to help you estimate your monthly payments. Homefront Academy, available on their website, is a series of courses designed to help first-time home buyers through the process of buying a home.

• 100 percent focus on VA loans: The company only services VA home loans. This expertise means they’ll be able to answer all of your questions about VA loans and ensure you’re getting the best loan.

• 30- and 15-year fixed VA loans available: Choose the fixed rate VA loan option that works best for your home.

• Refinance your VA loan: This company offers VA streamline and VA cash-out refinancing, which can save you money if you’re looking to refinance your home.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Veterans United Company Information