3.25/5
Based on 16 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

16 Veterans United Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Think twice before using Veterans United home loans. We originally had a buyer who was pre-approved with them. After 21 days 12/18 they realized they didn't get VOE (originally close date 12/24) so they asked for an extension for 12/31 with a guarantee of close for them to come back on 12/28 to decline the buyer (after the buyer signed off all contingency) a week prior. What lender puts the buyer and seller through all this 2 days before we're suppose to close escrow! Luckily we're working things out with another lender who believes everything should work.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I did NOT buy a home with Veterans United Home loans. I was in the process of buying one and to their credit, it was going smoothly. They have a very user friendly portal in which you can upload required documentation, bank statements, w2s etc. I was under contract on a home and then Hurricane Michael happened. The home I was weeks away from closing on was completely destroyed. We were able to get out of the contract, but certain inspections/appraisals had already been done. We no longer had interest in buying a re-sale home and decided to not go with Veterans United anymore. They still charged us a full $450 for an appraisal on a home which was no longer standing!

I paid them the money I owed, however; I feel like given the circumstances they should have thrown us a bone and helped us out as we are already going through a ton as it is. But they did not, I guess to them we were just a number and lost revenue so they as well get what they could from us. I guarantee $450 means a lot more to a working class person than it does to a national lending corporation. But ohh well.

Get expert buying tips about VA Loan Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I filled out a questionnaire regarding VA benefits on a Facebook advert... Have my name, tel number and email address. Receive a call from someone named David, I asked David how can I find out what Veterans Benefits that I have available to me. He asked for my name, address, telephone, email, Social Security Number and employee. Which I gave to him to look up my Military Record... Not once did he divulge that he was NOT with the Veterans Administration.

He led me to believe that he was with the VA, and without my Authorization, he did a hard hit inquiry on my credit. I am doing a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission as well as the State Attorneys office where the company is headquartered from on Missouri I already own a home, and did not request any information regarding a home loan. Beware of deceitful acts from Veterans United Home Loans...

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I closed on my house today no thanks to Veterans United. These folks sent me through 3 different loan Officers and 2 Hard Inquiries on my credit report on a 4 month period which significantly dropped my score. I started this roller coaster ride w/ Loan Officer Daniel in August. He went over my information and relayed me to the Lighthouse Program to help me get my credit up to 620, the program itself was helpful and straightforward when it comes to a plan of action. I followed the program and got my credit score pass the 620 mark in 2 months, I was cleared in mid-October and figured I'm back on track. I waited a week to hear anything. I sent Daniel a couple of emails with no response.

I eventually got a call from Loan Officer Jason saying Daniel is no longer with the company and he's my new loan officer, I then received my pre-approval letter for $220,000 and was congratulated by Jason. He informed me to start shopping for a house so I did. My wife and I found a house for $200,000 in early November and got a contingent contract signed. I relayed all the info to Jason and I never heard anything back for another week. I got a call from Loan Officer Harris early November and he said Loan Officer Jason is not Licensed to operate in TN and they thought I was looking for a house in GA (I told Veterans United on 3 different occasions that I am looking for houses in the tri-state area. AL, TN and GA).

Harris is apparently now my new Loan Officer and He told me he sent me an email introducing himself (never got it). He was quick to tell me that he is both Jason and Daniel's direct Supervisor and that I am in good hands. The very next day He told me my credit age is not good enough and my bank statements had negative balances so they cannot loan me anything after all. This information was not new as I had already provided my statements and credit history during the initial application process but for some reason Veterans United is just now finding out I cannot qualify and he did not even bother to send it through to underwriting.

His explanation was "I have been in this business long enough to know when a loan will get denied." I was told this after I was prequalified by Jason, was told to find a home, found the home, got under contract and paid the earnest money. Harris told me to check back w/ him in 6 to 8 mos and we will see. He then referred me again to the Lighthouse Program and that's the last I heard from any of these guys. I am well aware that I have nobody to blame but myself in regard to my financial and credit issues. The only thing I am frustrated about is getting the runaround, getting led on and lied to by this company. This is 4 months (Aug-Nov) of unneeded stress for a first time homebuyer coming from folks that work for a respectable company that deals with thousands of customers. One would expect that they should know what they are doing.

A local company got me closed in 1 month from when Veterans United dropped me like a hot potato (Nov 13- Dec 13). These folks were much more organized, had everything in order and they knew how to talk to people. They worked really hard for me instead of just passing me around the room then deciding I'm not worth their time like Veterans United did. I could have closed on a house 4 months earlier in August if I had steered clear from this company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am telling you from personal experience, even though I have extensive VA Benefit training, this company is unethical and wants to take advantage and charge enormous fees! They will put a bad mark on your credit score and do not abide by the protections your VA Guaranteed Loan is supposed to provide to you! You worked too hard to be taken advantage of!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Veterans United?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I received a preapproval letter and told that I was all set to find a home. After months of searching for a home, and paid for an inspection, the loan officer informed me that I need to show proof of bill paying. I was not informed that I needed to show checking account withdrawals for these payments. I have paperless accounts or use the option of paying at my local grocery store; therefore I could not show proof and for all of the payments. My landlord sent them a letter verifying that I am in good standing and amount paid as did the utility company. They claimed that was unacceptable and did not grant me the loan. I was mortified to have involved the realtor, the seller of the home and not to mention the time spent searching for a home, as well as the $374.00 that I am now at loss.

This company needs to be monitored on how they construct business. It is not right to lead people on and cost them money. Is this how we should treat our veterans? I suffered with an injury from the Vietnam War I did not need to suffer at the hands of some smart mouthed kid behind a desk! Please see that this does not happen to anyone else. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Veterans United showed me how to improve my credit score. I got my ducks in a row before getting the preapproval. The financing through the closing was actually easier than the move itself. I am not the most trusting person and this was our first house purchase. I've got to say I was impressed with how they handled the process.

Original review: June 28, 2018

They keep interest lower than standard loans. I like the application process and how easy it is and how quickly our issues are resolved. I love the no downpayment required and no PMI as well. It was transparent and open from the beginning. I loved the broker we worked with and don't regret anything. We asked a hundred questions and they always responded within a few minutes to our email or phone call.

Original review: June 27, 2018

This is a really reliable and trustworthy company to work with. I like them a lot. They are always very friendly and helpful. They take care of their veterans and work with you to give you the lowest rate possible and help you make your dreams come true of owning a home. I highly recommend Veterans United.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Veterans United worked with us to improve our credit. After our credit was increased to the needed level, we then moved forward with buying our home. Veterans United worked with us at each step. I was very pleased with their service. The customer service was outstanding. My wife and I had many, many questions and each person we talked to was eager to help us. We never had the impression that we were a burden or that they were not there to help us in any way they could. Our home buying experience was simply a pleasure. I would absolutely recommend Veterans United to anyone looking for a VA home loan.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Veterans United makes me feel like a supported member of the military with VU. They have treated me with kindness and recognition. Belonging to Veterans United makes me feel like my career means a great deal to the nation I help protect. Their customer support is remarkable. They have a great amount of patience and respect for those who use their service. I appreciate this the most when I have questions about their services or problems. They make me feel wanted. The process to get a home loan was somewhat simple, with very few problems. Although they could offer more services than they do, but that isn't much of a problem.

Original review: June 23, 2018

They have great customer service and called back very frequently to be sure my intent was genuine in addition to the additional screening and the added research. They were kind and forgiving, always there for me. Made me feel comfortable in the pursuit of the loan even though I had fear of not closing. Wished they closed sooner as they took longer than expected to close the loan. I had to wait and was not expecting the added delay. But all in all, I feel they were great.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I didn't think I would like the experience overall but it was not a pain. It was a little hectic but ok. They were quick and reliable. Some of the workers really cared. They treated me like a person and was fast.

Original review: June 16, 2018

They worked hard and did a great job. We got the best rates and I liked the streamlined process of the event. They helped me in any and every way. I love the people that work there and everything they represent. When people treat you good and show you that you care, you love the service even more. The wait time is kind of long on some things though. And being in the service and traveling around a lot didn't make the process even easier. We need to improve that aspect of the situation.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Everything is great. When I called they response quickly and help me to go thru the process on the phone. They have many options that I wanted to pick and I was happy about it. I'm grateful. They also offered free program or discounted with free care with medication discounted. They send me discounted ex card and insurance card in the email. I appreciate the calls too. The person was also friendly but they take too long to send me the paperwork and I disliked when they asked too much questions or asked question repeating. But it was good experience. They helped me thru the process.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Nothing but great to work with. They worked hard to approve my loan and made it as easy as they could make it. They also put me in contact with a realtor in the area where I was moving.

Veterans United expert review by Michele Lerner

This veteran-focused loan company only handles VA home loans. Their website has a lot of information about veterans loans and refinancing options, including calculators to help you estimate your monthly payments. Homefront Academy, available on their website, is a series of courses designed to help first-time home buyers through the process of buying a home.

• 100 percent focus on VA loans: The company only services VA home loans. This expertise means they’ll be able to answer all of your questions about VA loans and ensure you’re getting the best loan.

• 30- and 15-year fixed VA loans available: Choose the fixed rate VA loan option that works best for your home.

• Refinance your VA loan: This company offers VA streamline and VA cash-out refinancing, which can save you money if you’re looking to refinance your home.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Veterans United Company Information