1.20/5
Based on 117 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a loan company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

120 Monterey Financial Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would leave negative 1 star if I could. Paperwork stated 25% interest rate... I would never agree to 90% interest rate (who would). Also when I used a company that went through them for $1,500 dollar loan and they shot it up to 3.500 that is so messed up. How is this even legal when the paperwork has different amounts than what you're charging. They have taken my payment late four of the six months I have paid. They tried saying my bank rejected the payments. I called my bank to see if they have even tried to process the payments on the days they said they did. The bank told me, "No transactions have been made on those dates." Their fees never stay the same and they are tacking them on to everything. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY THAT ASSOCIATES WITH THEM. THEY ONLY WANT TO SCREW YOU OUT OF MORE MONEY!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I'm an international customer of Monterey Financial Services. I'm paying off a loan with Worldwide Travel Experts. I've set up monthly direct debit for MFS to take money from my account, but they don't take the money and then send emails telling me my payment are overdue and then they charge a late payment fee. The money sits in my account for them to take but they don't take it. It's definitely not a problem with my card or my bank here in Australia as Monterey Financial Services have already taken money prior to setting up direct debit. Given the Sydney/California time difference, it's hard to make phone calls to them and no matter how many times I tell them the money is there, they don't take it. I can't have money sitting in my account exclusively for them, that's my everyday expenses/living account that I used all the time. I no want the Worldwide Travel Experts membership as dealing with MFS has caused a lot of stress and panic.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We got a loan for 1200 for a dog which we agreed to but then all of a sudden it upped to 2400 dollars, nothing we were ever told about. They won't work with you. We weren't the ones that signed the contract they showed us. We signed something different. And when I asked for a copy it was all electronic, it's not even a real signature. We were approved and signed something saying we got a loan for 1200 and payments of 190 until it was done and then after 1400 I realized the payments were not stopping and that's when I was told our loan went up. Why would I be okay paying double on a loan than what I was approved.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

The customer service reps can be extremely rude. I had one ask me how I planned to catch up on payments and what I was doing to improve my income - like it was any of her business! This kind of aggressiveness is aggravating to have to deal with!!! I'm financing a school loan, I don't make a lot of money yet but they have very little compassion for you. I'm sorry I have to deal with them. They're vultures.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

This company is horrible. This company of scammers should be shut down. To begin with the customer services really sucks. I have never encounter in my life a place with such horrible customer services that this company have. Second, I bought my dog around a year ago. I felt in the scam to LEASE a dog since it’s not my dog because I owe to this company. Third, I was never told that this company charges the 50% of interest over your dog. For example, the total amount for my dog were $3000 which I pay $500 in the pet store.

Surprisingly I found myself with an astronomical amount to pay in three years of $6000. Same amount of a regular use car in good conditions. I blamed both first the pet store bc they never explain me. Second these scammers bc it’s really hard to get in touch with them. Now be late in a payment and you will see how they will start call you immediately and get prepare bc you will be threaten to get report to the credit bureau which they do to repossess your dog since is NOT yours is property of the financial company. Like a car You don’t pay your car the bank can repossess your car. Well you don’t pay for your dog they can repossess too which is completely absurd.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monterey Financial Services?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

If I could give no ratings I would. A year ago I was told I was financing my puppy and that I can pay him off early if anything, so I signed the contract for the amount of the price of the dog. After a few payments I wanted to pay him off with my taxes, but when I called they told me I'd have to pay an early cancellation fee of over $200 plus whatever is owed or continue making the monthly payments for the next 23 months. Then was told that they charge a fee for leasing the dog. I was never told any of this information at the time of purchase. So instead of paying $1600 for the puppy if I were to pay the full 23 months I'd be paying over $3,000 for the dog. The puppy place I purchased him from not only gave me not the full information but Monterey Financial is a complete scam and is just trying to get your money. Please don't ever sign anything with them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Please beware of this company... I went to Breeders Club of America in Middletown NJ to buy a dog but the prices were very high so the lady offered me to finance the dog through my pet funding... I filled out the app online then after having the dog and making a couple payments I find out that I'm leasing a dog. I was told I was financing but I'm not dealing with My Pet Funding. It's actually Monterey Financial Services. And to top it off they don't let you see the contract until after you've signed it thinking you're financing the dog.

Original review: June 5, 2018

This is the worst company we have ever gotten a loan from. Over the years, my husband and I have had car loans, a business loan and house loan, and this company is by far the worst. They claimed that they would work with us when my husband lost his job. They told us that they would lower the payment amount, and then tack the remaining amount on at the end of the school loan. Plus interest and late fees (which is completely understandable). Then they decided not to do this, I don't why. And their computer kept calling everyday, putting us on hold for sometimes so long they didn't even answer.

But, when he finally was able to talk to a real person, my husband worked out a lower payment amount. Both he and they agreed to this amount. And yet they still are calling. A loan officer even called the day before the payment was due, accusing me of ignoring her attempts at contacting me. (This was the only call I received since the new arrangement, and I have had no other form of contact, no emails, no letters.) If I could put NEGATIVE stars for a rating I would. My advice is to get a loan ANYWHERE else.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I signed for financing but received a lease for more than the original amount of $2,660. Payments are $230 plus per month for 30 months. I filed with state Attorney General. This is a scam and they are very unreasonable. I don’t eat. I’m disabled and retired. I need a good attorney. Help.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The loan I got from LoanHero was for zero interest for up to a year. It has not even been a year and Monterey Financial has been charging me interest from day one. Then there was a payment made for a little over $3,000 yet my balance due did not budge. I thought when one made a payment the balance due would go down.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

They bought my loan from Brilliance Credit. Brilliance originally told them I owed $2876.87. Brilliance then drafted another payment that has now been credited to my account. I made 2 payments to Monterey Financial, in the amounts of $490.00 and $1953.46. So here is the math: -$2876.89, $490.00, $490.00, $1953.46 - $49.14 overpayment due me. They are denying the true fact that they owe me money!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Received funds from a funding source that used this company for billing. Many times the website wouldn't allow one to make online payments or the only way to make payments was with a phone rep, and you are charged fees for this service. Do not set up autopay. They will mess with your payments! Most of the time you don't know what the additional fees are for, and monthly payments keep increasing. When asking for information, they only give you info that they want you to have. Will pressure you into making a payment by threatening collections, credit report reporting, and robocalls. Even the funding source is looking to change using this company because of similar complaints. Worst experience ever!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Our first loan was great with them. Our second however has been horrible. We had set up for recurring payments that did not happen. Then we received tons of called even at our work after we had gotten in contact and promised a payment. Our loan is 1000... And yet online it shows 1900. Nearly double the loan. Wow. Charges for everything. Being late, not going through, online payments, calling in payments, automatically payments cost extra. I haven't found a context in which they do not charge. Since the hassle now we cannot pay off in 90 days and no one has emailed or called me in my responses. I would like to pay my debt and be done. 1900 is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I financed a car repair with another company. I guess these people collect for and have had my payments on auto pay from the beginning, in October I called and asked how many payments were left since there was no communication during the whole year, I was told 1. When December came around there was a payment taken and I reported it to my bank, and I received a call from them stating I owed an additional payment and made an arrangement to have it paid by automatic draft. Well needless to say they didn't take the payment and then called to tell me that instead of the $95.00 I now owe $160.00 and the rude representative said if I don't pay it she's going to report it to the credit agencies as non payment. I told her they were scam artists and I had never missed a payment or been late and she started yelling at me so I hung up on her. I'm not paying them $160.00.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I am in month number three with this company. My initial auto pay never started then when I finally talked to CS I was informed that auto pay was not a choice even though I was told it was from day one. I signed up online to get the info on my account and make a payment and ended up with an additional 10 dollar fee added onto my payment. Well all of a sudden, after I told the representative that I would put the payment in the mail the next month and that I was not going to call them to say I had put it in the mail, automatic draft miraculously began and I had two payment leave my account at the same time. I really want to give the product back and say good riddance to bad rubbish! Honestly I really think it is the beginning of my problems with this company if I don't hurry to pay them off. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I don't have a order number or receipt but I do have a current account.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My issue is the overinflation or allowed buildup of my bill for account **. I was rudely contacted by a sales rep this evening and spoken to very harshly. And I have never missed a payment. In fact I overpay by hundreds. But what I do see is very questionable lending practices. I have not received a bill or email from your company for payment due dates or reminders. Months were allowed to pass by with NO communication from the lender until a late payment missed. This is unacceptable. I was not given a chance to pay or fulfill the loan agreement at a lesser cost. Yet I was called and spoken to like a serial missed payer. I will alert the public as best as I can through all media outlets not to use your services. Pay more than you need to.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Initially set up to auto pay, then 5-6 months before the end of payment, auto pay is not working anymore, even though you updated everything still autopay is not working, end up paying for late fee of $30, $10 fee for paying online! They’re ripping me off!! I made an online payment coz I don't want any charges again, SURPRISE!! Last transaction double payment!

Now I'm waiting for a refund. Guess what? You need to wait for 72 business hours to return back to my account!! They always call you that you need to pay even if you already made a payment!! With all these things dealing with them caused me to have hyperacidity because of thinking too much when they will return my money! Add up the customer service people with no compassion and empathy!! No respect to customers!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I normally hate these places, but I have to say I was impressed by the customer service agent I got on the phone. I received a test from Monterey Financial Services about an account going to collections. So, I called them, and they took my information and realized that someone else had used my phone number to open an account they had not been paying on. Instead of a hassling me about it as so many have done, including about US Department of Education student loans I never had, they simply removed my number from the account and apologized several times. The other reviews on here are overall negative, but at least my experience was far easier than any other time this has happened.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I purchased a puppy for $2500 and I had to pay a fee of $275 a month until I could pay off the $2500. The first month you have to pay 2500 to get out of the lease open till the third month you have to pay 2150 to get out of the lease. On the third month I called a day before my loan or if he matured and bought out my lease. They charge me $2400 to buy out the lease. When I complained and said I only owed 2100 They said I was wrong and withdrew the money from my account plus the fee for the next month of $275. When I asked for a copy of the contract they said, "Don’t you have it? Re-emailed it to you." And would not provide any information about my contract. I would like to make a class action suit knowing now that this is happened to you over 100 people already.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I adopted a puppy from a breeder, a beautiful Golden Retriever who was priced at $1200. When I received my funding paperwork I was shocked that it would cost me double by the time I paid off the agreement. So I asked for a payoff balance and that $1284 was actually going to be $1441, this is the amount I had to pay only 2 weeks after adopting the puppy, my first payment with Monterey was not even due! I paid $149 to pick up the puppy, $390 extra just to get out of this lease agreement, thankfully I paid it off or else it would have cost thousands more over time, what a waste!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I'm paying for an online program that uses Monterey Financial to finance their program. I called on Tuesday to ask what my total balance was including all fees and they told me $343.72. I confirmed the balance due several times and emphasized including all fees. They charged $354. My bank declined it. I called their customer service and I was told that they charge an additional fee for payments made online. I clearly asked the rep when I called the first time to confirm the total balance including all fees and I explained I was making the payment online and I was told $343.72. Now they are charging an additional $20 for insufficient payment.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I have received two past due notices for $17.02 in the last three days threatening to turn me over to collections. I have my account set up on a credit card. I call in to see what's going on and am told I didn't pay the August bill on time so every other month is showing to be 30 days late. If I mail in payment it is $23.08. If I pay on the phone right now it is $38.08 because there is a $15 surcharge to pay over the phone on a credit card that is already set up for monthly payments. I'm also charged $6.00 per month just to pay this company. What a joke. This must be how they make their money with ridiculous fees. Be sure no medical you have is ever financed through these people. They are ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

This company is not set up to smoothly handle accounts. They not only do not pick up but when they call you back out of the blue, they have information that is not updated. Very poorly managed company, and I would recommend avoiding this institution if you can. If a company does not pick up their phone when a consumer calls, they are not in business. When your credit gets hurt, it's too late.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

They purchased old timeshare. Note that the company went under and it was $6300. So we kept telling them there is no timeshare bill but all their fees keep totaling up to over $12000.00. We want to purchase a house and this ugly blot won't come off of our credit report. What are we to do?

Original review: July 17, 2017

Hello, my name is Paul, and even though I never suffered from a scam like this a sibling of mine has. My sister and her husband always wanted a pair of huskies. They live in Hamburg, New York and financed 2 dogs in a pet shop in the Erie County area. They paid a huge down payment for the dogs, since both cost over five grand. The dogs were financed under Monterey Financial Services as well. I am amazed at reading all these complaints. I had no idea all of this was happening to so many people. My sister wants to spread the word, which I'm helping her out with.

She's also pursuing a lawsuit and sounds enthusiastic on getting a great settlement because of this scam. At first I thought she probably wasn't heading anywhere with it, but seeing how she's a client of a national law firm and how many people have been scammed all over the country there could be great settlements, especially since almost all the cases I've read on this site are from folk that have spent thousands of dollars. Hopefully this type of activity stops. WE HAVE TO UNITE TO MAKE THIS TYPE OF SCAM STOP.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I had to take out a medical loan and Monterey purchased my loan and I am now making payments on this loan. However, when making payments on this loan through auto draft I saw they were taking a $20.00 fee and never told me that part of my payment would be going toward this fee. I cancelled the auto pay and then called and tried to pay over the phone/internet only to find out that would $10.00 fee just to pay on this principal balance. I made that one payment then was told by someone to just set up bill pay with my bank and then you won't be paying any fees to this company.

These people were rude and ugly all because you are in need of medical supplies and paying as much as you can is just awful. It seems as though they always want you to be in debt with them and I learned that there just loan sharks. It's so sad that these high crazy fees are even allowed. I am desperately trying to end this madness as quickly as possible. A true rude rip off company.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I ordered an insulin pump from Minimed and they offered an "interest free" 12 month payoff amount. Little did I know that they hand off their accounts to Monterey Financial Services. Which I would have been fine with if not for Monterey's ridiculous fee structure. When I first got the robocall from them, I thought it was a scammer, but I google searched them and after calling them and Minimed I found out what had happened and made a payment. For my first payment, they charged a $6 "service fee" and then a $15 "other" fee. Apparently, there is a $15 fee for payments over the phone. There's no explanation of what that $6 service fee was.

Payments online have a fee of $10 each. I set up autopayment (for which there is still a $2 per payment fee) but somehow their system didn't work (I suspect the bank declined the charge which wouldn't have been Monterey's fault) so I called to make a payment and they wanted to charge their $15 phone payment fee. At this point, it was becoming clear that they were going to be charging either $10 or $15 a month just to pay them which was a ridiculous rate of interest on my "interest free" payment plan. I ended up paying one more $10 online fee to full pay the loan and get out of it. But a word of caution for all you Minimed customers out there. If they offer a discounted upfront fee vs. a higher "interest free" pay over time amount. Don't take the latter option. It's not really "interest free" when you take into account Monterey's fees.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I took my time and thought I had done my homework, I purchased a puppy from The puppy boutique in Florida. I signed the contract with WAGS hesitantly because of the terms. The worker at The puppy boutique by the name of Glenn assured me that I could do the early buyout, without having to pay the added fees. My baby was $3000, however, the contact stated $9286. I told WAGS and Monterey Financial that they were ** crazy if they thought I was going to pay $9K for my dog. I have left messages and they called me back, no one has been rude because I don't play that. I have agreed to the early buyout paying 2 payments, including the interest of $330. Payment 1 was made in June 2017, before the 15th of the month and the last and final payment will be made this month, July 2017.

I was informed that the company has a monthly buyout, but you have to pay prior to the 15th of the month to avoid the interest charge. I actually went off on them because the WAGS lease is conflicting, I do not have an account number for Monterey Financial, they refuse to give me a written letter stating that when I pay off the 2 payments I'm done and lastly they reported on my credit the $9K and not the $3000 I actually was approved for. I refuse to be scammed and will seek legal counsel should my last payment this month end up being an issue.

Original review: June 18, 2017

This company is the worst. If you are reading this and making payments on your Monterey Financial accounts... You, me and everyone is getting screwed over. I have set up an automatic draft. Twice now they make me pay the 15$ to pay over the phone every time... You're ** now. It's better to let it go into default than pay these guys 110% finance charge and take our money. Look my bill is only 65.07. I really pay 85.07 and only 33.20 goes to my principal. Ok people now pay attention. They lie to us telling us that it's only 18% off but only half is going towards the bill and the other is in their pockets. They will lie and rap everyone who falls into the hanging tree we call Monterey Financial. You and I just got hung.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Opened a loan with the through a pet breeder located in Jacksonville, Florida. This was at the start of 2015. In October 2016 I paid the PAY OFF QUOTE which was nearly $300 after paying $2100+ even though our due was $1500 (true story). I haven't received ANY bills or notifications in the matter. Upon paying them off, they alerted me that there will be NO FINAL BILL OR RECEIPT OF TRANSACTION. What kind of hellish system is that? So there is no proof that I ended my loan with you guys, really?

Now in June of 2017, I am getting bills from them and CONSTANT phone calls. I'm talking 3 a day from these SOB's while at big meetings in the office. They're saying I owe them $119, then $200, then $241? The figures don't even add up, these don't even equate to my previous payments. The worst part? I am 31 points DOWN on my credit score solely because of these guys! I have the Sanctions Compliance team at the massive financial institution that I work at opening a case against Monterey Financial. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MONTEREY FINANCIAL.

Monterey Financial Services Company Information

www.montereyfinancial.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.