2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Monterey Financial Services Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I keep very detailed paperwork and copies of my loan. They never had the amounts paid or remaining balances right. I am now having some last payment due issues. They have a very complicated scheme instead of a straightforward plan. I have to question every transaction because hidden charges keep popping up. BUT I have all my paperwork in order and I paid with credit cards. I will get back with Y'all so soon as I get this clear.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I made an account through Career Step and I wish I really would have read the reviews but this company is the worst. I'm supposed to pay 304.87 a month, I pay on time and even before but they still tell me I have to owe more and more on the following month. I'm 18 and working and stressing and these people really have the nerve to tell me I'm underpaying. Seek here to anyone who's is financing which is actually a freaking loan please don't!

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

So, I'm behind on my loan. I've been paying what I can to get caught back up. Bailey from Monterey called today to work out some sort of payment plan. First I was offered $140 a week until payments are caught up. I told her, "No, that'll leave me with $20 some dollars a week." She then offered to make my monthly payments $150 for 4 months until I'm caught up. I agreed. She put me on hold for about 15 minutes only to come back and tell me she can't offer me that agreement anymore because I've paid more this month than my original loan. She stated that I'm obviously able to pay my loan if I've paid more. What she fails to realize is $150 of the money I've put toward my loan was a Christmas gift, and I've been letting other things go just to get caught up. She then tells me I need to pay $240 a month, instead of my original loan which is $219. I said, "Ummm no, I'm struggling now as it is. Hence why I'm behind."

I told her I will continue to pay what I can, when I can. She said, "Yes you can do that but I have access to your online college courses and I can lock you out of it until you're caught up." Well go ahead and do it **. Do your research first before you offer someone an easier payment plan. You call EVERY single day, you should've known before you offered me an agreement that I paid more than my original loan this month. These people have no heart at all. Terrible, terrible loan company. Will never ever deal with them again. How do you sleep at night?!?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

We financed a small loan with this company. I had a new credit card issued and forgot to change the info. Called the day after it was declined to resolve the issue. They charged me a NSF fee, late fee, and processing fee even after I explained the situation. The following month I had card restrictions set to accept autopay but not e-commerce and it declined. I called right after bank alerted me and told them what happened and asked them to process it again.

The funds have been available the whole time and it was the same day. They charged me another NSF fee and processing fee. I argued there is no NSF fee because the funds have been and are still there. They did not care and charged me anyway and said anytime a card is declined, they charge the $25 NSF fee reguardless and no exceptions. They also could not answer on how the transactions are processed. It appears they will screw you every opportunity they get even when you try to do the right thing.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I got a puppy loan from this company for $1800. I paid $200 down for a Yorkie puppy in Houston Texas. The puppy was purchased on a Saturday by the next Saturday the puppy was in the hospital and passed away. The puppy had undergone some type of gastrointestinal surgery prior to being sold to me and had complications. These people told me I should have had an autospy done on the puppy so they could prove what he died from. The Doctor said in the notes what he died from and they still did not want to release me from this contract. This was November 2017. Today is December 2019 and they have turned this over to a collection agency for $5000!! I'm filing a lawsuit because this is harassment and very unethical.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monterey Financial Services?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I had to finance payments for my insulin pump, I can’t afford to be on the pump to be honest but I have no choice because it keeps me alive, has to finance the payments. These people that work here have no soul. It’s really sad that they can even sleep at night knowing what they do to people like me, charging excess fees for everything and anything, tried to change my payments to withdrawal on. The first of the month instead of the 15 and they wanted to charge fees! I can only hope that one day they have a friend or family member that goes through what I have to just to stay alive all these excess fees are really a slap in the face. Not sure how these people work for a company like this. I will be filing a complaint with BBB.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I got a loan for a puppy for $1,600 but $4,000. If not paid off in 30 days. I was ok with this. My puppy passed away. They gave me 24 hrs to pay $1,072. I couldn’t come up with the money. So they gave me 3 weeks to come up with $1,135. (They added interest) I paid $205 so my balance was $930. I had 2 days to pay it off, I called today to pay the full amount which was $930.45 plus $15 to pay over the phone. Now they said it’s $1,141.45. $211 more because they forgot to tell me about the interests. Mind you I’m not late on the 3 weeks they gave me. This is total BS!!!

They are crooks to say the least. I did pay the nine hundred and something but decided to stop payment on the check by phone & consult my financial advisor & attorney. ** This. Are you kidding me. I just read all these horrendous reviews & they’ve scammed enough people!!!! Enough is Enough!! They should not be in business. They haven’t heard the last from me! And when you call it’s like calling kids. So unprofessional, makes me sick to my stomach.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

My wife wanted a new dog from a local kennel here in NC. The dog cost $1300.00+ and with the cage, carrier and playpen along with toys with our final price was $1800.00. We were supposed to have a loan through Credova Financial. Two days after I get the dog I get an email from Monterey Financial stating Credova was their client and they changed my account number and added $200.00 to the original loan amount which put it at $4400.00. I understood $4K was what I would pay if I made 27 payments because of finance charges. The "loan" turned out to be a lease agreement. I also found out if I did not pay off the initial amount more than two days prior to the first payment I would owe $3400.00 even if I tried to pay it all off at once, that are be stuck with just going through with the payment arrangements for $4400.00.

We paid the $1800.00 today minus and in shop $49.99 fee straight away to avoid this nonsense. The problem is everyone does not have the money to do this or they will probably gladly pay the first month's payments not knowing what they just did to themselves. The kennel was a great place but having vultures like this circling over unsuspecting customers waiting to pick their finances apart makes them look bad by association. I don't blame them but if you see anything related to Credova or Monterey Financial stay away. I have been to combat zones and people like this are just as bad as the people that shot at us except these folks kill you with lies and paperwork. A 1-star rating is too high for these folks.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I applied for this loan through a mall in Colorado to get a puppy. The loan was for $3,400. (Yes, very expensive for a dog but we really wanted a Golden Retriever) Anyway, we paid $50 for a first month payment upfront and then $263 a month. I called 2 months later to pay off the puppy and they wanted $3,600 to finish my lease. I guess a part of the contract we didn’t see if you pay $550 for an early buyout on top of what you already owe. I told them then I should only owe around $3,300. I was told I owed $3,600 because only $104 of the $263 monthly payment went to the principal and then $159 to interest! This is absolutely insane and nowhere in the contract was that stated. This company is impossibly hard to work with and all they are looking out for is themselves and money.

I would never recommend them to anyone. I really can’t believe that we paid $300 upfront because of taxes for the puppy brought her to $3,600 and we only got approved for $3,400 plus food, etc. Then we have paid $576 in payments and now they want another $3,600! I have never hated a company so much. The biggest scam I have yet to see.

Original review: May 21, 2019

So I went to this rejuvenating Lazer Treatment place on Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, CA, for a quote on having the lines around my eyes and forehead disappear. The people were Super friendly and I was offered a “supposedly” good deal package and easy financing. I signed up and got the treatment twice! After 3 months, my lines were visible as before and when I contacted this Company, I was told that they couldn’t do anything about it and that I had to finish paying them because there was a contract. I regret having gone to that place for treatment because it has been 2 years and I’m still paying $2800 for something that only lasted 3 months. A complete scam! We need to report this!

Not sure about Monterey Financial Services?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Loan Companies for you.

Monterey Financial Services Company Information