Monterey Financial Services

Compare Loan Companies

Research top Loan Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It was to be a self help class to get rid of depression and panic attacks and to learn to enjoy your life! I had maybe 6 or 7 sessions and the fee was 6199.22! I totally feel taken advantage of. I am still depressed and I see a therapist on a weekly basis! I really do not feel I got my money's worth!

I had purchased some website coaching from Achieve (name change after the fact). I was paying monthly with a credit card until Monterey failed to charge the card October 2014. The card was subsequently canceled so I was making monthly payments by check. Certainly something they did not like. After a couple of months of nastiness because I was paying by check I decided to pay the statement balance in full January 2015. Heard nothing from the company until 6 months later then I supposedly had a balance of $69 which would have been the interest that was due if I had not paid the balance early. Calls were intermittent for a few months but recently they step up the game. Not only are they RUDE they do indeed talk over you, state that I would have never received monthly statements (I did) will not acknowledge that I paid off the loan.

Trying to get anyone to listen is impossible. The $69 now seems to be more than $111 fees on top of fees and interest that is charged on fees. No written documentation is provided and refusal to work with me other than threats to my credit. The amount of money that they spend on these nasty calls are ridiculous. Thousands of dollars spent for harassment.

Purchased a couch, agreed to payment plan with a loan company called Loan Hero. This company transferred or sold my account to Monterey Financial. It's been a nightmare dealing with their uneducated & rude staff. Monterey Financial staff is rude, talks over the customer, hangs up on the customer, will not allow the customer to speak with a supervisor/manager when requested. Made arrangements with them to make automatic payments. Gave them my correct account number and routing number 6 times and they couldn't get it right. Apparently it was my fault when all 5 or 6 customer service representatives entered my info incorrectly. Most of their customer service representatives seem to be deaf and stupid because they can't get anything right.

I got a dog through them, didn't know I would be getting charged double the dog price... and it is not a loan but a lease. I am really disappointed with this... I was under the impression that I would just be paying my loan off for the dog, no. I am paying 4000 now. I see there are a lot of complaints, does anyone know how to get out of this?? I don't want to hurt my credit or go to jail??

My wife decided to surprise me with a dog and was one of the worst decisions ever made. First buying a dog for $1500 is beyond ridiculous, but I understand there are those out there that want a purebred. The dog came home and was sick with both kennel cough and an infection from an open wound on her head. That very night I looked over the contract and was absolutely floored with the terms. First, the price of the dog was in the neighborhood of $1500, but after WAGS Lending stepped in the cost is over $3000 with a $161 installment which has been auto-debited every month thus far without my permission and without my name appearing on any of the contracts. Also come to find out after looking at the contract closer, we don't even own the dog, it's a two year lease (who does that?!).

Unfortunately, our children wound up reacting bad to the addition of the dog, with near constant allergy attacks. After trying a myriad of different medicines our only recourse was to try and terminate the lease early. After going back and forth numerous times, the only way that we can break the lease is to hand them $1100. I pleaded with them and it doesn't matter that your children's health and well being is threatened, they absolutely will under no circumstances work with you to pay the early termination fee. It's cash in hand or nothing.

I threatened to take the dog to a shelter because of the severity of the reaction my children were having and they were quick to inform me that any transfer of the pet to any 3rd party could [will] result in a fine and legal action against my wife. I was absolutely stunned. After explaining all of that to me they had the audacity to tell me that I could buy out the dog early and take it to a shelter. What they're doing can't be legal, this is absolute madness. The health of my children is threatened and they have locked any avenue for me to protect them. I have no idea what we're going to do, which is why I'm posting here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monterey Financial Services?

I am being charged double for what the dog cost. They refuse to send me paperwork with statements. They harass you 24/7 like hello my payment will not be there a week before it's due so stop calling me. They tried to make me pay 2 months at a time because I was 2 days late... NOTHING BUT A SCAM.

Purchased a couch, agreed to finance, paying off as early as possible. This company is charging ridiculously high interest rates, rude, talks over the customer, hangs up on the customer, will not allow the customer to speak with a supervisor when requested. Paid my bill in full last month, date: March 22, 2016 - payment was processed on March 24, 2016 for 1,013.44, the amount of the payoff, my original purchase in the month of July 2015.

I was not told I would be entering into a rental agreement until the payments were completed, until after the contract was mailed to me, after the 3rd request (the lettering was too small). I every month asked for the payoff amount, so that I would be able to gauge the actual amount of interest that was being accrued, payment was made to close out the account. I requested a letter to verify that I had paid the account in full.

Today is April 22, 2016 - I still have not received the letter. I called yesterday @ 322 pm, was hung up on, called back... No one answered the line for 10 minutes. I hung up and called back and the CSR rudely stated that the account was not yet closed out. I questioned why. She abruptly states it will be closed out in 10 business days. I requested a supervisor. She left the phone for 10 minutes and returns stating "all of the supervisors are in a meeting," I may leave voice mail, etc. This lack of concern for the consumer of their business is ridiculous. I will never, ever do business with them again. They are liars and cheaters with no concern to conduct business in the way it should be conducted. I mentions I would contact the Better Business Bureau. They laughed and said "they will not do anything." Please, investigate this company.

Responding to all the public complaints I read about Monterey Financial. I see exactly what your complaints are about... Yeah, well they are hard core when it comes to customer service. I know it's a business but to outright rip us (the public) off with "over the hill", "high interest rates" just isn't right. I wouldn't be surprised if the government is part of this conspiracy. Maybe that's why Monterey hasn't been shut down...

Unfortunately many people including myself don't read all the fine print. It doesn't matter to them if you're only income is that one check you receive a month. They have no heart and won't seem to work with you... It's all about the money, money, money... cha ching!!! And by the way... to all the people who contact the "Better Business Bureau"... a joke. I just found out myself that the companies actually pay the BBB to give them the A ratings whether they deserve an A or an F... So if you ask me, all in "CAHOOTS" together. So I for one, do not rely on the BBB...

I read the majority of these reviews before applying and still did so as it was the only option to try and purchase a puppy that I had fallen in love with and did not have enough cash to outright purchase her. I applied via my cell phone and was approved within minutes for $1,400.00. I carefully read all of the information prior to signing and was not pleased with the outrageous finance terms, but the monthly payment was average ($165.00) including interest; this was in December 2015. The following month I contacted company and was speaking to a live agent. Within minutes, she provided me with the payoff information I was looking for and all was well.

Now for the reason I only gave the company 4 stars instead of 5. At the end of last month (February), I called again for a payoff amount (wishing to make the payment immediately) and was hung up on twice without speaking to anyone. On the third call I was placed on hold for almost 15 minutes and when finally the female came back on the line, she gave me the payoff amount, took my credit card information and informed me it would take about 3-5 business days for accounting to process the payment and update my account.

3 days later, the payment processed through my bank and I assumed all was well; at least until I checked my account online and noticed they posted the payoff payment AND a $157.00 payment due 11/20/2016. Upset, I called again. I was placed on hold for about 10 minutes and a young man answered the phone and told me he would immediately correct the problem and asked that I check my account again in 48 hours. Obviously I did as he asked and the 'odd' payment did in fact 'disappear.' I have since then emailed requesting a written receipt stating my account had been paid in full.

I received an email response back within 24 hours confirming that my account was, in fact, paid in full and they normally did not send out letters like the one I was requesting, but that they would do so. This was 2 weeks ago and I have not received that letter at this point, but I have saved, printed, and have taken a screen shot of the email as well as my account online that states my balance is ZERO, just in case.

I will say that it is VITAL those applying for financing with this company that you read the FINE PRINT, as it does very specifically state at the end of the financing terms, the purchaser will be required to pay an additional $225.00, as the 'property' (pet) is only being leased until the entire balance, interest, and final buyout amount (the $225.00) is paid in full.

On Jan.15 2016 me and my wife went to breeder assoc. in Brick town NJ. And we look at a puppy but we said the owner it was too much. They wanted 2,100 for the puppy so we said no way then they said 1,300. We said no okay. They ask us how do we want to pay. We said maybe 1,100. She said okay then she did paperwork before we notice she charged us 1,500 for the puppy and she said we have a company name wag this will credit the puppy for us.

She also said "we want your checking account number", only to check us out all, of the next thing I know this company Monterey debits my account without letting me know and overdraft my account so I call them and ask them why wasn't a bill send to me, that way I make sure that the money was there. First of all they was very rude and he said they don't send bills out and they just debit my account if I like it or not so I went to my bank and stop payment. Plus I call Better Businesses until they send me a bill. I will no longer pay them plus I call my lawyer because I feel that my right. Don't use this company. They will rob you plus these people are very rude.

I receive monthly texts from this company that my account is overdue, however I had never heard of them until I started getting texts. I call and they can't explain how it is that I'm receiving texts. They don't even have information connected to my number. I Googled them and discovered the multitude of complaints here, so I thought I would share my experience as someone who has never actually done business with them but continues to receive 'overdue messages'.

Keep away from this bank or company WAGS - are scammers and getting away with it. Someone needs to do something... Bought a puppy through pet-zone which by the way my puppy had kennel cough and a bacteria in his bowel movements and the WAGS company charged me double the price for the dog for financing with them. The dog was $1,400 and they charged me almost $4,000.

I had purchased a loan through flexpay to buy tires for my car that I desperately needed. I had suddenly been informed that Monterey financial would be handling this from here on out. Didn't find this very business like. So I had paid off the loan with a check that was sent on the 1st of October. I had called a week later to verify receipt of the check and it was confirmed that it was received and account was closed and a refund for over payment would be sent. Well they failed to tell me that they do not send out refund checks until the end of the month. I called again on the 22nd and this is when I was told about the checks distribution is at the end of the month. Well it's now November 5th. I called the office about 9am, phone keeps going and then goes to a recording to leave information and will call back. Still haven't heard back. These people need to be shut down for bad business, not being straightforward.

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with by far. All of the employees I have spoken with are extremely rude. They constantly call me and rip me off. They constantly say that my payments are late and tack on a $30 or more charge every month, which is a bogus accusation. They have no consideration to the fact that I am 8 and a half months pregnant, unemployed and still doing my best to pay my bills, they still constantly try and rip me off and take extra money from me. I didn't choose to work with this company, but the lending company I was working with gave me to them I suppose. NEVER work with Monterey if you have any other options.

Run don't walk from this company. They are a rip-off and charge ridiculous rates and DO NOT know how to keep their records straight. I received a call, at work, stating that I was late. Ten days prior, I had called and set up a schedule to pay this off. The CSR did not even bother to look that it was all set and ready to go. I was not late. I will NEVER deal with them again and strongly suggest that no one else does either.

I financed my co-pay for an insulin pump for 18 months. I called for the amount of my last payment and was advised by the friendly rep there would be a fee to pay over the phone. So I paid the amount she quoted me by check through my bank's bill pay as I had every month. Four months later Monterey started calling twice a day out of the blue. I patiently waited to speak with a rep but after several minutes was asked by recording to leave a message for a return call. This happened twice. I threw out my payment book with the account number but found it through my bank bill pay. With some difficulty I managed to log on to my account and see the balance is $24. It is unexplainable why there is a balance. There are no late fees - just says balance $24.

Either the rep misquoted the amount or they added some fee - I don't know which. I'm going to pay the $24 and the online payment fee of $10 to be done. Hope it puts the issue to bed. I'm leery though because of all of the horrible reviews I've now read about this company.

I finance furniture at S&S Furniture Gallery for $1,133.33 in irvington nj. The sales associate told me I have 6 months to pay it off then I'm good so yesterday, I decided to call them. They told me I owe $2,109.33. I told them the sales associate never gave my actual total 'cause if he did I would have went elsewhere. I faxed MF the paperwork the furniture place gave me. They still didn't care and gave me my next Month due date.

I advise everyone across the world, this place is a ripoff and they will double and triple the cost you owe so don't be a victim like the rest of us. I'm a single mother of a 4 yr old. All this company did was take the food out my baby boy's mouth... I'm going to Sue MF. Don't give them your hard earn money. They don't care about us all. They want to do is rip off the US citizens and make their profit and let us talk to disrespectful and nasty customer service representative that can't help us. I hope this company gets shut down and burn the hell down for being a full blown scam artist!!! #theydontvaluetheircustomers

They repeatedly lose payments in order to charge fees. We had to cancel a check that we called them about after it was not cashed, told them we were stopping payment and re-sending. Then they tried to cash both checks in order to charge us. Call multiple times a day and harass you even after being told not to call this number. DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!

Run from this company. Actually sprint away from it. Financed a pump through the company because I couldn't pay the full amount right off the bat. Worst decision. Realized they were awful so sent a payment via check well within the time frame for them to receive it in time. They called and harassed me to pay immediately that day with a additional charge of paying 15$ over the phone. That was a Friday. I refused and said they would be receiving a payment. They called me again Monday morning, again being rude and harassing me about paying over the phone right away. I again refused. Finally had to call my pump company to complain.

After speaking to them, they looked into it and suddenly my check was cashed. I could also tell from the photo of the check on my bank account they had it for a week. I then sent another check. I got online and realized they were charging 40$ to process my check. I was so angry. Who does that anymore. The next few payments I made online. My due date isn't for a couple of months and I somehow got charged a late fee. A late fee from what?!? I don't even have a payment due and haven't missed one either.

This company is one of the worst that I have had to deal with. I hope one day the CEO gets put in jail and the company goes under. Now I know to avoid Monterey Financial and have been advising others to stay away as well. And the BBB is a bunch of crap giving them an A+ especially with all the complaints on their website. But it's all about money so I guess as long as you pay their fee they will give anybody an A+. MF should have an F- or lower. If I could give a negative review I would.

I chose to finance some plastic surgery procedures through medical financing. At this point I'm thinking that name was some kind of alias or contracted company to pass this on the Monterey. After the papers were signed and the money was processed suddenly I get a one page paper in the mail stating that the medical financing place had sold my account to Monterey. Now the amount I financed was quite significant, $11,200 with payments about 403 a month (I always pay at least $500).. when you start to make early payments the due dates start to get later and later, so you assume that you are buying yourself some wiggle room in the case that you're short on money some time.

Well it turns out that in my case my interest is accumulated daily! In so that I am paying $250 per month in interest alone!!! If I were to make the payments exactly to the schedule for the whole length of time, they would be making about 7,000 on my account!! And someone please tell me, that if my standard payment is not due until November (it's July now) my current principal balance is $200 less than my current payoff balance... If I pay everything off today they would still be getting an extra $200.. for what?!?! I'm doing my best to knock the balance down to an amount I could get approved for to transfer to some low interest credit card or something. This company needs to be shut down - there's no way what they are doing to people in legal.

First and foremost, I have never been the type to write a complaint letter. But I am so disgusted by the representative's behavior. I stupidly decided to buy a puppy and break up the payments for the year. Little did I know I would be hit with all these fees. I am so upset by the representative behavior. I really wish there was a way to get them fired. No matter what the customer's situation is, you never laugh or show any sign of being rude to them. I honestly don't know who I should contact for this matter. They some how double the amount you owe with all these fees. The biggest mistake of my life was to even trust this company!!! Scam, scam, scam and I pray they go out of business. If anyone knows anything I can do, please let me know. The worst company around!!!

BEWARE!!!! DO NOT FINANCE WITH THEM!!! They misled me into thinking I will be paying off my puppy that cost me 1,555 IS NOW COSTING ME 4,000!!! With a finance company called Monterey Financial Services. I was hysterical when I figured it out. HOW DARE YOU GUYS take advantage of people in an exciting time of buying a puppy!!! I lost my dog of 12 years on Christmas day which of course they knew and saw I was vulnerable and needed another companion when I went in at the end of December. DISGUSTING. Of course there was fine print that I skimmed over, completely misled me. That advertisement for a finance option on their door and website SHOULD NOT BE ON THERE. IT'S NOT A FINANCE, IT'S A LEASE! Practically sold my soul to this people!!! Legally can't even say its my dog.

Calls come before 7 A.M. Standard recording with no access to speak to a voice. No history on file with specifics on alleged account sold to them. Interest rates above/beyond any laws/regulations for consumer.

This company is terrible. I used this company through a jewelry company. They said I could pay it off with 12 payments, which was fine. However the fees they charge are ridiculous. $15 processing fee (for a draft payment), and if you put the fund in the account after midnight the night before the draft they charge you $20 late fee which is not late because they process it the day before it's due. They also do not phone or email you to let you know about a payment that didn't go through. Every representative is rude and unprofessional. The supervisor is even worse. Beware and stay away from this company!

I went to Express Tire in Imperial Beach CA and financed tires which they sold my contract to Monterey Financial my interest rate is 182%!!! My initial balance was $517 and they say after my payments it will be $1045!!! Luckily I have a sympathetic family and I was able to get the payoff amount before my first payment and they are within driving distance to me so I am taking a cashier's check (no bounced checks here) and putting it right in their hand!!! I hate these people and I hope they all find out what being broke is!! #ihopetheyrehomelesssoon

I contacted this company many years ago. They sold empty promises of give us some money and become a real estate magnate overnight. However I told them I don't think it's true. They talked me into giving them a deposit. I asked them multiple times if I can cancel this at anytime. They said of course "money back guaranteed." I fell for it and did. After a few payments I called them and said "I want out. It's a waste of time just like any other scam out there!" They said I can get out if I pay off the entire amount of 2 years worth of payments. I said "this is crazy. I want my money back that I gave you and now you're telling me I need to continue making these payments?!!" They said that it's my obligation. I said "well then you guys are just liars!" And then the harassment calls started coming day and night at work and on weekends!

Now I looked at my credit report and I found they report me there. This is crazy. I'm gonna dispute this all the way! If anyone ever gets to deal with this company don't give them anything!!! This a scam with nice words and graphics!!

I used them for a loan. I have made my payments with them but they have stated that I haven't. They have changed my payment due dates on me, also my monthly payments. I have been making payments since July and my balance has not gone down. I still owe, what I owe in July. NO CHANGES! They also have the wrong my contract with my daughter as the patient when she was the emergency contact. Worst company ever!!!!

Run from this company. They charge insane fees that can only be interpreted as taking advantage of people. They are not a legitimate business. You'd be better off dealing with your local loan shark in a back alley. What company charges you money to pay them each month? Any other company gives you a break for setting up automatic payments from your checking account. Not these **. They charge you for each one.

I contacted the company to arrange a payment. After being on hold 10-15 min I received a rude representative ** harassing me and very rude and put me on hold after I inform her I didn't want to speak to her due to her poor training - she put me on hold and then hung up! The next day I called, left a message for supervisor yet that didn't help bc the professionalism this company has is poor as well as phone etiquette. They are rude and yell at customers. I still haven't made a payment bc they are very rude and deserve to be jobless due to how they treat individuals! I decided to make my payment online versus to speak to this company's poorly trained individuals!!!!

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. This company claims to finance pets but once you get all of their paper work you are really renting the pet with the option to buy at the end of the term. In effect a clever way of charging the equivalent of over 70% interest. We purchased a dog for $2500 & if we were pay of time the total paid would be well over $6200 over 3 years, plus have a buy-out payment.... or we could have them pick the dog if we no longer wanted to "rent" or own. Absolute insanity!!!!

When I called to discuss the agents are rude & unprofessional, that is of course after numerous attempts to reach someone. Constantly put on hold so that the agent could get information or answers from someone else, will not confirm anything in writing as I am sure it their way of being able to deny everything!!!! I just paid off the buyout amount & placed a stop order on any further transactions with them with my bank. I am sure this is only the beginning of a long battle with them based on the other review posted!!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

Monterey Financial Services Company Profile