1.18/5

Looking for a loan company?

Monterey Financial Services

Looking for a loan company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Monterey Financial Services Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I got a puppy loan from this company for $1800. I paid $200 down for a Yorkie puppy in Houston Texas. The puppy was purchased on a Saturday by the next Saturday the puppy was in the hospital and passed away. The puppy had undergone some type of gastrointestinal surgery prior to being sold to me and had complications. These people told me I should have had an autospy done on the puppy so they could prove what he died from. The Doctor said in the notes what he died from and they still did not want to release me from this contract. This was November 2017. Today is December 2019 and they have turned this over to a collection agency for $5000!! I'm filing a lawsuit because this is harassment and very unethical.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I had to finance payments for my insulin pump, I can’t afford to be on the pump to be honest but I have no choice because it keeps me alive, has to finance the payments. These people that work here have no soul. It’s really sad that they can even sleep at night knowing what they do to people like me, charging excess fees for everything and anything, tried to change my payments to withdrawal on. The first of the month instead of the 15 and they wanted to charge fees! I can only hope that one day they have a friend or family member that goes through what I have to just to stay alive all these excess fees are really a slap in the face. Not sure how these people work for a company like this. I will be filing a complaint with BBB.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I got a loan for a puppy for $1,600 but $4,000. If not paid off in 30 days. I was ok with this. My puppy passed away. They gave me 24 hrs to pay $1,072. I couldn’t come up with the money. So they gave me 3 weeks to come up with $1,135. (They added interest) I paid $205 so my balance was $930. I had 2 days to pay it off, I called today to pay the full amount which was $930.45 plus $15 to pay over the phone. Now they said it’s $1,141.45. $211 more because they forgot to tell me about the interests. Mind you I’m not late on the 3 weeks they gave me. This is total BS!!!

They are crooks to say the least. I did pay the nine hundred and something but decided to stop payment on the check by phone & consult my financial advisor & attorney. ** This. Are you kidding me. I just read all these horrendous reviews & they’ve scammed enough people!!!! Enough is Enough!! They should not be in business. They haven’t heard the last from me! And when you call it’s like calling kids. So unprofessional, makes me sick to my stomach.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

My wife wanted a new dog from a local kennel here in NC. The dog cost $1300.00+ and with the cage, carrier and playpen along with toys with our final price was $1800.00. We were supposed to have a loan through Credova Financial. Two days after I get the dog I get an email from Monterey Financial stating Credova was their client and they changed my account number and added $200.00 to the original loan amount which put it at $4400.00. I understood $4K was what I would pay if I made 27 payments because of finance charges. The "loan" turned out to be a lease agreement. I also found out if I did not pay off the initial amount more than two days prior to the first payment I would owe $3400.00 even if I tried to pay it all off at once, that are be stuck with just going through with the payment arrangements for $4400.00.

We paid the $1800.00 today minus and in shop $49.99 fee straight away to avoid this nonsense. The problem is everyone does not have the money to do this or they will probably gladly pay the first month's payments not knowing what they just did to themselves. The kennel was a great place but having vultures like this circling over unsuspecting customers waiting to pick their finances apart makes them look bad by association. I don't blame them but if you see anything related to Credova or Monterey Financial stay away. I have been to combat zones and people like this are just as bad as the people that shot at us except these folks kill you with lies and paperwork. A 1-star rating is too high for these folks.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I applied for this loan through a mall in Colorado to get a puppy. The loan was for $3,400. (Yes, very expensive for a dog but we really wanted a Golden Retriever) Anyway, we paid $50 for a first month payment upfront and then $263 a month. I called 2 months later to pay off the puppy and they wanted $3,600 to finish my lease. I guess a part of the contract we didn’t see if you pay $550 for an early buyout on top of what you already owe. I told them then I should only owe around $3,300. I was told I owed $3,600 because only $104 of the $263 monthly payment went to the principal and then $159 to interest! This is absolutely insane and nowhere in the contract was that stated. This company is impossibly hard to work with and all they are looking out for is themselves and money.

I would never recommend them to anyone. I really can’t believe that we paid $300 upfront because of taxes for the puppy brought her to $3,600 and we only got approved for $3,400 plus food, etc. Then we have paid $576 in payments and now they want another $3,600! I have never hated a company so much. The biggest scam I have yet to see.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monterey Financial Services?

Original review: May 21, 2019

So I went to this rejuvenating Lazer Treatment place on Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, CA, for a quote on having the lines around my eyes and forehead disappear. The people were Super friendly and I was offered a “supposedly” good deal package and easy financing. I signed up and got the treatment twice! After 3 months, my lines were visible as before and when I contacted this Company, I was told that they couldn’t do anything about it and that I had to finish paying them because there was a contract. I regret having gone to that place for treatment because it has been 2 years and I’m still paying $2800 for something that only lasted 3 months. A complete scam! We need to report this!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I set up monthly payments on the 15th of each month where they auto withdraw from my account. They draw before the bank opens so it is impossible to get $ in the account on that day, then they charge nsf fees, then you go to call them to make the payment and you wait for the next available representative... Well, there is none. After waiting, they tell you to leave a message or hang up... Then they auto hang up on you. But they say your call is important to them; that is infuriating! The website says it takes 2 days to post a payment, so there will now be late fees, and they tack on a fee for making a payment on their website. No customer service, they will milk you for all they can. In my experiences with other financial institutions, auto withdrawals are done the night of the scheduled payment, not the early morning of. I cannot be finished with them soon enough!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Back in December I went to The Dog House in South Windsor and ended up applying for what I thought was "My Pet Funding" which ultimately ended up being Monterey. Long story short, ended up with a sick puppy Guardia. After being treated by my vet, the puppy was still sick. Took her back to the pet store and she ended up being there for over a month. Now Monterey is trying to collect over $3K, for a puppy that was brought back in January. That amount is double what she would have cost and now call me several times a day, call my place of employment and have reported to credit bureaus. WARNING STAY AWAY FROM MONTEREY FINANCIAL. Still fighting it 4 months later! Do they really think I'm going to pay almost $4K for a puppy I haven't had since January? Wish I had done my homework.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I need help: I'm sorry to say we fell into this pet leasing scam Sunday 4/7/2019 from Pet City off 45 north and FM 1960. We were looking to buy a French bulldog and we found a beautiful girl we fell in love with. Of course we didn't have the $4250 for the puppy, so the sales associate suggested financing and we agreed but at the end we never seen the contract until the deal was completed and emailed to me. We open the email today 4/8/19 and after reading it we were disgusted to find out were leasing our French bulldog with a option to buy at the end of the 30 payments. To top off things we notice today after returning from work that our puppy had an incision on the side of her belly with fresh stitches and we were never disclosed that she had any surgeries, and medical conditions that needed her to be cut.

I'm not an expert but from reading about this incision it looks like our baby girl puppy may have been spayed. We were never disclosed this information and I'm sure (My Pet Funding) & (Monterrey Financial) doesn't know anything about the puppy having stitches or incisions. Why would we buy a puppy to add to our family and pay over $9000 and she can't even have a chance to have babies later in the future. We feel like we have been deceived with the whole leasing process and especially being sold a puppy that have had a surgery already and not disclosing this. We're almost positive this cut and stitches are from being spaded. I need your help please... My name is Anthony ** my number is ** please help.

Part 2... I spoke to the leasing company and they said they don't do business like this and that the medical procedure should have been disclosed, I read thru all our paperwork and looked at the medical record we was provided and nothing says anything about a surgery, I went in person to Pet City and the saleswoman named Heather that helped us Sunday said she apologize that she didn't tell us the puppy had a hernia repair/replacement and I asked for manager and he came out and said nothing he can do for me. It's no refunds.

I explained to him I was never told of her medical procedure. He apologized also, he said, "Should be on your paperwork." He pulled his copies out and said, "Oh sorry must been a computer error." I even went to the extent of telling him the 1400 down payment I put up just refund me 1100 and keep 300 for a restocking fee. He said no. I refuse to be taken advantage of. Please Emily I really really need your help!!!! I don't want to spend more money on a lawyer, this is deception on their part, I just want a refund and want to be let out of my stupid lease agreement... My number is **.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My wife and I signed up for the Go Pro Coaching Service and the first few months were great. We found the service difficult to use after our first coaching sessions expired as we had to call in to schedule the company to call us back when they were available to set up a coaching call. We were unable to be available and thus stopped using the service. When I reached out to the coaches after making over a year's worth of payments to inquire if they had courses based on Facebook marketing to help us build our business, the answer was no. I then called Monterey Financial to cancel the agreement only to be "reminded" that there is NO cancellation. Which means I'd have to pay another 8 months for a service we don't even use. I'd estimate we found this useful for 3 months and pay thousands over 24 months. What a complete waste of money!

Monterey Financial Services Company Information